Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to kf I AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. All right, it's time for swamp watch.
Speaker 2: Swamp is horrible.
Speaker 3: The government make us like a reality TV show, A bad noose.
Speaker 1: Always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, d C. Hey, Joe, a town all too clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways.
Speaker 2: Still a swamp. A bunch of malarkey.
Speaker 4: Boy said, drained the swamp.
Speaker 3: I said, Oh, that's so Helle.
Speaker 5: You know the thing.
Speaker 1: Well, it seems like the Democratic Party was coalescing following following the overthrow of Joe Biden, with Kamala Harris picking out her running mate. If she was choosing between a series of people, Joshapiro was said to be the front runner, but then maybe the anti Palestinian group got a little bit louder and she chose Tim Walls, and then Josh Shapiro turns up at their first event, so it looked like the party was unified. Now they're saying that is not the case. That Joe Biden is dealing with some simmering resentment over that coup. Orchestrated by Pelosi that ended his reelection.
Speaker 3: In my mind, I can see this as a TV series.
Speaker 6: Yes, it sounds like a show that I would you would watch on NBC or something. According to Political Biden is frustrated with and angry with three key party leaders, former President Obama, former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, and then Senamajeorian leader Chuck Schumer.
Speaker 1: And Pelosi really is the one who's uh, the one responsible for pulling the strings, for being the puppeteer, the puppeteer in what happened there. So he is supposed to speak on Monday at the convention.
Speaker 6: Now, initially he was supposed to be the primetime closing speaker, right and now they're saying he has been demoted to a curtain raiser speech on the opening night when he is likely to make a call for unity and a party that has effectively closed ranks to move forward without him.
Speaker 1: So curtain raising means what he's gonna be the first speaker of the convention act. Hillary Clinton will be probably the closer on Monday. She's going to speak on Monday as well. Barack Obama will be there on Tuesday. On Wednesday, Bill Clinton and Tim Walls, and then Harris closes the convention on Thursday night. My question for you is, is this Joe Biden being resentful about the place that they're giving him and the convention and not wanting to sit through the other speeches, or is this just a man who's up there in age and doesn't have the longevity or the want or the need to sit through four nights of late night speeches.
Speaker 6: Well, does he have to sit through fourth four nights or just show up on the last night and give the closing in its dress?
Speaker 3: He could just show up the last night, right.
Speaker 1: But that's not the spot they're giving him.
Speaker 6: So is it true there is some resentment or is he just like I'm over it?
Speaker 1: Or the Democrats saying nothing to see here, folks, so that they can keep him in that share until January.
Speaker 4: You know, he is sorry, guys. He is speaking right now in Maryland. He is with Kamala Harris and one of her campaign events. I don't know if you are interested in dipping in, but he is there with her and he is talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure, let's dip in and see can we bring that up. Yeah, we're just.
Speaker 5: Getting started on the law I signed MEDA character negotiate lower prices for another fifteen drugs next year, fifteen the following, and twenty after that, till every drug is covered.
Speaker 1: He's got some fresh botox right, he looks tanned.
Speaker 5: Just another really big deal and n Americans can save more money and from life saving medications they need to deserve and bring peace of mind. It's hard to explain. Kamala ay are going to keep fighting and lower the producers no cost everyone.
Speaker 6: We have to Well, this is the story that came out today too, with with them negotiating for lower prices on ten drugs commonly used by Americans on Medicare, and half of them half of them are diabetes drugs.
Speaker 1: I didn't recognize any of those. I guess that's a good thing personally.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't know them by these names, but when I was looking earlier next to it, it's like for diabetes or for whatever.
Speaker 3: So it seems like about half of them are for diabetes.
Speaker 1: But I didn't want to try to pronounce them.
Speaker 6: Some of them look like names from classmates I've had back in the day, Eloquistsience Jenkins.
Speaker 3: No, these are drugs, you know. I'm just I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I feel like I've heard.
Speaker 3: Of that one, that one, I've seen a commercial.
Speaker 6: One sounds really pretty and brovka, uh, I've seen a commercial on that that sounds familiar and presto. Yeah, maybe some of these sound like commercials we sing, but maybe they're they're all sounding the same. But yes, that's what he's talking about, sort of saving money on these.
Speaker 1: It's also going to be weird if Joe Biden did sit through all those other speeches, just sitting there watching the Democrats that have more life for lack of a better word, I don't know he could. I don't know.
Speaker 6: I'm not making a senior joke out of this, but just staying awake through all those speeches.
Speaker 3: It's a lot. And we saw even at the RNC with Trump kind of dozing off.
Speaker 1: It just struggles, I mean a lot. He went to the conventions eight years ago and I said, this time around, when we're going to be in Chicago next week, I'm not staying and sitting in there for all these late night speeches when I could watch them in bed.
Speaker 3: In your hotel.
Speaker 6: Run right, its exhaust Chicago pizza.
Speaker 1: You know you said it didn't. I haven't had any ideas about pizza.
Speaker 6: I can't eat pizza right now. It's not on my list of approved foods. But please do indulge in Gior'donald's when you get there. The deep dish pizza too. I mean you can only have one one slice? Yes, yeah, and you're stuff.
Speaker 1: You're done. You're just sitting there now, You're there for about four hours.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Coming up next, we will get into more swamp watch. It looks like the Republicans are not agreeing on how to beat Kamala Harris or divided on what the strategy should be. Also, RFK Junior is super thirsty. He needs in that cabinet. He doesn't care who the president is. We'll get into that as well. President Biden says his vice president will not distance herself from his policies as she runs for president. He spoke to reporters outside the White House before he went to hold this rally in Maryland with her. He was asked about reports Kamala Harris will break from some of his policies for political reasons. He simply answered, she's not going to Donald Trump wants to delay sentencing in his hush money case until after the presidential election. His legal team asks the judge overseeing that criminal case in Manhattan to postpone sentence and currently scheduled for September eighteenth. They argue what delay is necessary to resolve on going legal challenges to his conviction.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: Republicans are now said to be divided on how to win the twenty twenty four election. Former President Trump has been recently focused on crowd sizes, bashing Vice President Harris for not doing interviews. Nicki Haley was one of the people who came out yesterday and said the Republicans need to quit whining that this is not going over well. Voters don't care about crowd size, She says, they don't care about her sitting to do an interview, that they care about inflation, immigration, crime, and that that's what the focus should be.
Speaker 6: And initially the whole plan was to just remind people Biden's old. He can't put together a sentence. His thoughts are all over the place. Even the first debate, and Trump wasn't his usual debate self where he's loud and yelling. He was just really calm, like, Hey, this guy is no know what he's talking about.
Speaker 3: Listen to him. I don't think he knows what he's talking about.
Speaker 6: That was a very effective, I think strategy that Biden's just he's not all there to run for president again. But now you've got to change the whole plan because age is not the thing.
Speaker 3: With Kamala.
Speaker 1: There was such good will towards him, or more so that I believe than ever after that assassination attempt in Pennsylvania, and I feel like it was squandered, and it was squandered pretty quick, pretty quickly. I heard a take today on what won him the election the first time, how it was that Access Hollywood tape, which sounds ridiculous on its face, right, but once that tape hit, Before it hit, I should say, he was all over the place. He was name calling, he was unhinged, He wasn't a serious candidate. The Access Hollywood tape, yes, And suddenly he realized he had to be focused, he had to be dialed in, and that that is when he started to surge. If he just stuck to the inflation and the economy and the border, how much better he would do as opposed to all this name calling and off the cuff stream consciousness. Yeah, yeah, I'm with independent voters.
Speaker 6: I mean, his base will go nowhere exactly. I think for both sides, the basis it's probably not changing. They're trying to reach the independent.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of people, I think out there who just say, if he could just button it down and shut up, I might vote for him.
Speaker 3: That's not a style though.
Speaker 6: It's not off the cuff has always been his thing for him, right, not saying that's what is you know, strategists and it's you know, folks, are you know giving him advice when the campaign want him to do But that's always been his thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think he's advisable. I don't think you can give him any advice.
Speaker 5: R FK.
Speaker 1: Junior wants in.
Speaker 3: No, he doesn't.
Speaker 6: According to his Twitter right now, what are saying according to the X he's going off fake news really several times fake news not true.
Speaker 1: When it surfaced that he went to Trump and asked for a place in the cabinet, he said that was fake too. And now the reporter is he went to Harris requesting a meeting because he wanted a place in the cabinet. Now he's saying that's it.
Speaker 6: It's a long tweet, but he goes on to say that this party will be recognized, unrecognizable to his father and uncle, and he cannot reconcile it with his values. Although no one asked him to, he said that he can. At the very end, after he says all this stuff, I have no plans to endorse Kamala Harris for president.
Speaker 3: I do have a plan to defeat her. And this is after the reports.
Speaker 6: That he it sounds like some of his aides might have confirmed that he did ask for a role in her cabinet should she become president, and now he's saying they didn't happen. And so people are telling him, well, the reports are this, and that he's like fake news, fake news. That's his new thing.
Speaker 3: Fake news. Yeah, not true.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 1: Time for talk Tech Talk.
Speaker 2: Their machines are getting smarter. This is tech Talk, brought to you by sky Nata.
Speaker 1: Mark Saltzman, Top of the afternoon. To you, how are you doing.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm well, Thanks, Shannon, and hey Leyla, get to chat.
Speaker 3: With you too. I'm going to chat with you offline about Canada.
Speaker 7: Oh, all right, any time, Yes, anytime, as long as it's not about Trudeau, I'm good to No.
Speaker 2: It's very very positive about our country. Other than that.
Speaker 1: Possibly maybe we're gonna move there.
Speaker 3: I'm oh, yeah, you never know. No, I'm serious, serious.
Speaker 7: Instead of KFI and like KFA. Eh.
Speaker 1: So we were talking about Toronto being a maybe a landing spot, and you wrote an article for the Toronto sun Mark about awesome hotel hacks when traveling for a smoother trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So you know, I'm a freelance journalist and so I travel quite a bit and over the years I've I've collected a few I think some really good ways to save money and just make it a smoother trip, whether it's for work or pleasure.
Speaker 2: The first thing is of course saving money.
Speaker 7: So not only should you do your research when you're booking a hotel room and use your favorite sites like you know, hotels dot com or Expedia or travago or booking dot com. There's a lot of good ones that will try to find the best rates for you, but use different web browsers because when because they can see if you use the same web browser your cookies in your cash, which is like these little bits of information that are left.
Speaker 2: Over, they'll know.
Speaker 7: The amount that you were just dished up by a competing site.
Speaker 2: So use like if you have Safari on your computer.
Speaker 7: Maybe also have Microsoft Edge or Firefox or Chrome. Just use a different browser and that way they don't know where you were previously. And then after you've booked your room. Here's one of my favorite apps. In fact, it's called Provo pete As and Peter Ruvo, and the way it works is it tries to find you a better rate on your room after you've booked it. So book your room okay, and then you simply forward that email confirmation that you get from whatever site you use or if you buy if you buy the room directly through I don't know Weston or Hilton or Marriott, just simply ford that email to Provo. They keep an eye on that room for you, and about forty percent of the time that rate for that room will drop before you check in. And if that's the case, you're going to get an email from Provo that says, hey, Mark, we found that same hotel, the exact same room for you for I don't know, twenty five bucks less or fifty two dollars less. Do you want to book this at the new rate? And then they can't help you walk through the cancelation for the old rate. The only catch is that you have to have cancelation with your hotel, which is pretty standard today. I think since COVID, a lot of hotels are just giving it to you pro bono. So as long as you have the ability to cancel your reservation provo is awesome and it saves you a lot of money on your on your hotel stays.
Speaker 3: I never heard of that, but I would try that. That actually sounds very healthful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think it's great. You have nothing to lose, right you.
Speaker 6: Just well unless the person cancels your confirmation because they're bored, and then you have no not that y.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know that doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: Very funny.
Speaker 7: Some other little tech related hacks is that if you miss your standing desk at work.
Speaker 2: The ironing board in the.
Speaker 7: Closet of your motel or hotel is about the same height, so just take it out.
Speaker 2: Like, look in the closet if there's.
Speaker 7: An ironing board, open it up, put it in the middle of the room, put your laptop on it, and voila.
Speaker 1: So now you want me to exercise the hotel room?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we know how you hate exercise.
Speaker 1: No, it is a good hack, but my favorite ones from you require no tech at all.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right, so let's go through some of those.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I just remember being at a bachelorette weekend and in Vegas and we had brought with us ramen, because what's better at three o'clock in the morning than a nice bowl of ramen? And we had to order hot water from room service or whatever, and they charges like ten bucks or something for hot water, and I it never occurred to me to just run the water through the coffee maker.
Speaker 2: That's it, just no coffee, just run it through. We did the same thing.
Speaker 7: Our youngest was super picky as a kid and he would only eat like hot dogs basically for a small period of his young life, and so we would, Yeah, just run the hot water through the coffee maker, and now you've got like boiling water.
Speaker 2: So that was a good one. Another one I know your listeners have tried before, which is the steam trick. It really does work.
Speaker 7: If you do not have an iron in your room where you can be bothered to iron your clothes because you're on vacation, then yeah, if it's you know, to turn the hot water on in the shower, point the shower head towards the wall, and then hang your clothes up in there, shut the door for five to ten minutes, and then come back and I'm telling you wrinkle free. It works every time and like a charm. Another good one is that if you have a shower cap in your hotel room that you don't need, or even if you've used it, if you have dirty shoes that you want to put back in your suitcase, the shower cap, which usually has that elastic sort of rim.
Speaker 2: You just put your shoes in there and then then put it in your suitcase.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 7: Another one is if the room is too dry, something my wife Kelly often complains about, you can wet a towel and put it in front of the radiator and that heat will help. You know, the water evaporate into the room. It's like a little built in, you know, humidifier. So there's a lot of little hacks in this article.
Speaker 2: If you want to.
Speaker 7: Check it out, it's My name is Mark Saltsman, Mark with a C and Saltsman with a Z, and then just look for the with the phrase hotel hacks and you'll see my article.
Speaker 1: Mark Saltzman, thank you so much, always so helpful.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. Thank you very much, and best wishes to Gary and his daughter.
Speaker 1: I will pass so is On.
Speaker 2: Have a good weekend you too, Thanks Shannon, Thanks to Leila Bye.
Speaker 6: NASA's still trying to figure out what to do with the two astronauts at the International Space Station.
Speaker 1: They were supposed to go there for eight days in June, and now they're saying it will be early next year, maybe till they come back.
Speaker 3: You know what I think about? What was that movie with Sandra Bullock? Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, and she was whining the whole time and she killed George Clooney.
Speaker 3: That's my version of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah that I don't think I'm kill That was awful.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but they are trapped and trying to get back to Earth and she was whining and then George Clooney died. Yeah, because she wasn't, you know, doing her part. Well, I see my version of the story.
Speaker 1: Yes, and I'm with you on that. I though, have been jealous of these two. I also would like to go to space and just not be here. I'd like to be trapped up there as well. Really, oh for how long through the election year?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree on that. Yeah, I could.
Speaker 6: I could do without all the commercials in the name calling now I'm looking for the name of that movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, let you start.
Speaker 6: I'm looking out I know a gravity yes, gravity man.
Speaker 1: And who bought that she was an astronaut?
Speaker 6: No one, you remember she was whining the whole time. Astronauts don't whine anyway. Hopefully these folks find their way back down.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Crime con is now in its eighth year. This is This is a true crime community meeting. They say it aims to summon a fandom that exists primarily online through subreddits, podcasts, common threads. On twenty twenty, convention d draws six thousand guests a year and tickets start about two hundred and thirty bucks. There are tiered between standard, gold and Platinum packages, and they say the patrons get their money's worth over the orse of a single weekend. They get to orbit through a variety of keynotes and panels, people like Nancy Grace, Chris Hansen, authors of Who Done It? So That all makes sense to me. But the thing that I find fascinating is that they say, haunting every corner of this event are victims and the people connected to victims. John Ramsey, the father of Jean Benet, is a headliner.
Speaker 3: This was his third year in a roll going.
Speaker 6: And by the way, so the people who are like John Ramsey are there, they're not getting paid to be there.
Speaker 1: They're not getting paid, they're not getting paid for their travel.
Speaker 3: They pay for the longtails. Yep.
Speaker 6: But it's his third year, and he said he's still not sure why anyone want to come and pay for a ticket for this, But yet this is his third year.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 6: Some of the attendees are these amateur detectives who treat it like a real life board game. They stopped me in the halls and they say they only came to the convention just to meet me.
Speaker 1: Now, imagine, for his particular case, your little girl is killed in your own home while you're upstairs sleeping. It's never been solved. She's this beautiful six year old girl. All six year old girls are beautiful, obviously, But and then to go and talk to strangers about it, and to sit through Q and A and meet in greats cocktail hours about your dead child, I don't under I guess there is some value in public bereavement.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I was wondering for the families who go like John Ramsey or Potito's family, is it because you're comforted by knowing that people still care about your child's case. And is there some sort of you know, support you feel that you receive by being around these folks who are really invested in your loved one's case.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is kind of what he does. Jean Benet's dad eighty years old. Now she's been dead for nearly thirty years.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 1: He has been on Doctor Bill, he's been on the Doctor Oz Show. He's done a Barbara Walter's interview. He's published two books, the first defending himself from those who's suspected his family's involvement in the killing, and the second book reflecting on the combined grief of the daughter's murder and the death of Patsy, the wife, from cancer in two thousand and six. They write, the people in Slate write, to your point, this has all helped ensue, ensure, excuse me, ensure that the lurid interest in Jean Benet has never faded.
Speaker 3: It hasn't. Yeah, it hasn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I guess it is a way of keeping them alive. But it's weird that, like, in particular, this crime con weekend is in Nashville and it's at the gay Lord opry Land Resort. They say, colossal palm trees are in the reach toward the glass ceiling in the hotel's conservatory. A few Disneyland esque waterfalls crash into the rippling stream. It boasts the only Jack Daniel's restaurant in the world. It's kind of an odd thing. And talk about a bunch of strangers.
Speaker 3: Well, not just the crime con event in Nashville. You know there's a cruise.
Speaker 1: Oh, the Crime Cruise is next year, right, people can go on this crime Cruise.
Speaker 6: It's back for its third year, sailing six days and five nights aboard the Royal Caribbeans Independence of the Seas for an immersive adventure. What is the immersive adventure?
Speaker 1: Immerse yourself in murder?
Speaker 3: I mean I live mystery and fun in the sun. This is really what it says on the website.
Speaker 1: I like true crime as weird.
Speaker 3: No, it's this year.
Speaker 1: It's November second through the seventh. Oh, okay, I like true crime as much as the next person. I mean, just doing what we do. I have a curiosity about how things happen and why they happen, and who's the perpetrator and why and how they got to be that way. But when I go on vacation, I do not want to hear about dead children and the.
Speaker 6: Like, or do an immersive experience on the on the ocean, right, I want a cruise. I want Pina Kila and swim time. And everyone's idea of relaxation or vacation. I guess it's different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's see here. Chargers Fans Football is back at SOFI Stadium as your Chargers take on the Rams is this Saturday afternoon kick off at four oh five. Don't miss Justin Herbert and the Bolts usher in a new era at Chargers football with Jim Harbaugh leading the way. Visit Chargers dot com slash tickets to secure your seats today and listen to the games on ALT ninety eight seven. I'll be there. Let's hang out. We actually have tickets to give away, so keep listening for your chance at those.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 7: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app