Speaker 1: Welcome to You Should Know Better with Mike C.
Speaker 2: Nelson, the guy who won't shut up about winning three times on Jeopardy.
Speaker 3: Welcome to you Should Know Better, the trivia podcast that tests your knowledge kind of a little bit of your patience. Our goal here is to celebrate the theme of continuing education. We should always be learning and always be on the prowl to know better. Now we will meet are very memorable Jeopardy champs and hear all about what stellar causes they are playing for and shortly crown one of them the smartest person in the world for one week. But as for right now, let's jump right into some questions and answers with our first of four rounds today. It is always our General Knowledge Round Round one, General Knowledge thinking caps on, gentlemen, pencils at the ready, and oh wait, we go. There are eight questions in the General Knowledge round. Here is question number one. Can you name either of the actors that portrayed Pumpkin and Honey Bunny, the robbers of the Coffee Shop featured at the beginning and end of Pulp Fiction? Can you name either of the actors that portrayed Pumpkin and Honey Bunny, The Robbers of the Coffee Shop, featured at the very beginning and the very end of that nineteen ninety four Tarantino classic pulp fiction. For question number one, how do we feel after one question?
Speaker 4: I have one question for Luisi? Yes, what are you be? Comment? With the Titanic and the Bismark?
Speaker 2: Are you telling me that I'm going down?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: You're going down?
Speaker 3: Shit talk from the jump? Oh yeah, that is highbrow shit talk.
Speaker 2: Nautical disasters for one thousand, Mike, let's.
Speaker 3: Go fantastic start. All right, here's question number two of eight. Gabarone Pardon the pronunciation. Gabarone is the capital city of what African nation? Gabarone g A b Rne is the capital city of what African nation? For question number two, little world geography? All right, Question number three three, moving right along. The best part of waking up is what coffee brand in your cup? The best part of waking up? Yeah, jingle time, It's jingle time. For question number three, The best part of waking up is what coffee brand in your cup?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Are you ready for question number four?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Here we go. Question number four. Who now holds the record for highest career batting average of three seventy two, surpassing Tay Cob. Since Major League Baseball has incorporated the stats from the Negro leagues, who was now the batting champ for career batting average? It's insane three seventy two, surpassing Tay Cob. Now that major League Baseball Baseball has rightfully incorporated the stats from the Negro leagues, there's a new there's a new person on top. Now for question number four, last name will Suffice? Is it Luigi's turned to do a sinking boat burn on Young Shan or no?
Speaker 2: No, I am thinking so so full disclosure. I've been more or less retired since the since TC.
Speaker 3: That Young Shan was saying he's out of work too, Like yeah, I am not in my Michael Scoft's prime either.
Speaker 2: No like like like like if there is the trivia equivalent of pulling a hammy that I am dangerously close to that right now.
Speaker 3: There is something about after you're on where you do you just you have to like get away from it for a while. Like I didn't watch I didn't watch games for a few months like at all, like not even one. I was like I kind of was at the peak.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you feel do you feel like you get back into like prep mode, Like you're like scotting people out and you're like and you're like and you're like watching the board and you're calm, bake daily doubles and then yeah, like you sit back on your couch and you're like, yo, chill, you can't you can't do it anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah, your mind has changed once you've been to the mountaintop. All right, Question number five of eight in Your General Knowledge Round. A prickle is the name for a group of what animals? A prickle? Cute is the name It's so cute is the name for a group of what animals? For question number five, we're up to question number six of eight in your General Knowledge Round. Here's question number six. What eighteen forty six oratorio by Felix Mendelssohn tells the story of the titular Old Testament prophet who brings rain to Israel through his prayers and ascends in a fiery chariot to heaven again. For number six, What eighteen forty six oratorio by Felix Mendelssohn tells the story of the titular Old Testament prophet who brings rain to Israel through his prayers and ascends in a fiery chariot to heaven. Name that Old Testament prophet for number six. All right, we have arrived at your penultimate question in the general knowledge round, Question number seven of eight. How many years plus or minus a year does it take the planet Jupiter to orbit the Sun? Give or take a year? If you're within one either way, he'll get the point. But how many years plus or minus one year does it take the huge ass planet of Jupiter to orbit our sun? For question number seven?
Speaker 2: While that in things they would have known when I was seven and not now.
Speaker 3: When you did the little styrofoam balls on close hagars. Oh yeah, all right. Finally, question number eight of eight, in terms of presidential succession, what three women have been the closest to the presidency? In terms of presidential succession? What three women? There's three women that have been within a few steps in presidential succession? Can you name them?
Speaker 1: What do you mean, like, if if the president dies, then they're gonna get it. Yeah, okay, they're the close they've been the closest ones.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's a there's a listing of people that you know, if the top seven people in the succession died crazily, who's number eight on that list of who would who would ascend to the presidency? So yeah, they had that show Designated Survivor where like keep Sutherland plays the one person that lays back in case, like during the State of the Union that everyone gets blown up. There's like they need someone to be the president.
Speaker 5: If they happened on Boistar glad to sorry. Uh yeah, point's clarification.
Speaker 4: Are we are we including uh like vps?
Speaker 3: Yes, it's VP, Speaker of the House and President pro Tem of the Senate. Is I think the three that that this comes from. All right, pencils down. We were going we'll go over your answers in just a few short moments. But it's time to meet our Jeopardy champs. All the way from the Manila, Philippines, but lives now in Arlington, Virginia. He's a regulatory attorney. He was a stud on Jeopardy and then the TOC. My new friend Luigi big Guzman is here today.
Speaker 2: I'm Mike.
Speaker 3: Were great to have you here, Louis. You can follow them on social media at instawed oh u I j on the instagram's Luigi, what charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 2: So I'm playing for Kind Kids in Need of Defense. That's an organization that is very much involved in offering legal advice and support for unaccompanied minors in our immigration system. Unlike in criminal law, you don't get a in the criminal system if you cannot afford an attorney, one is provided for you, like my noble and learned friend opposite. But in the immigration system, because it's technically civil, you don't have a right to counsel. And in many cases, these children are leaving very difficult situations domestic abuse, abandonment, trafficking, enslavement, and they are coming here. They're coming here for help and protection, try or try and be reunited with family members who are already here who are able to care for them. And Kind helps helps reach out to these children where they are, where they have been detained, listen to their stories, and get them connected to to attorneys that might be able to help, whether Kind themselves or more often volunteer attorneys. So I have I have been a volunteer attorney representing children pro bono for Kind on several occasions over the last several years. It's been some of the best work that we've done. You know, a lot of these kids are when I meet them initially, are not much different from how I was when I came here. I came here under much different circumstances. But they're like kids, right and talk about the normal kid stuff like getting settled in at school and you know, learning the neighborhood. And that's hard enough as a kid without also having to deal with migration and an immigration system that may not have your best interests at heart. So definitely, definitely look them up to believe. The website is support kind dot org and UH and those of you, uh, those of you who are lawyers in the audience, give them a look and UH and UH spare a thought. It may be necessary to do a lot more work in this in the near future, but as it is, there is a lot of there's a lot of people that need that need help and support right now.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is fantastical. We're happy to make a donation in your name to kind. That's kids in need of defense, win or lose. That's just extraordinary. It's time to meet your opponent from Lafayette, Louisiana. He's in New York City, right now though, seeing all the shows though he's a public defender. My new friend Young Shen Wong is here today.
Speaker 4: Hey, glad to be here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can follow him on Facebook at Hanso Underscore Shiba Young Sheen. What charity are you playing for today?
Speaker 5: I am playing for the It Gets Better projects found by Dan Savage, noted podcaster and gay activists. The original intent of it Gets Better with the show lgbt Q I a youth that you know your life's gonna get better.
Speaker 4: It's not all tourmoil and trauma and.
Speaker 5: Prevent suicide, prevention and lgbt quy a youth, especially these days with the attacks on transgender and other gender affirming binary people. So I think it's it's an important issue and uh, you know it's a it's a great cause, and you know, just show that it does get better, and you know you can channel that trauma into a lifetime of learning and you two can be on Jeopardy and win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: We're happy to have a little don fabulous while doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the most Natalie attired Jeopardy champ may be of all time. Yeah, just incredible, day after day, looking sharp as attack. We're happy to make a donation in Young Shen's name to it gets better one hell of a charity. Uh, you know are Jeopardy champs, You know what incredible charities they're playing for. But it's time to get back to the game. Go over our answers for very fun general knowledge around. Here's question number one of eight was can you name either of the actors that portrayed Pumpkin and Honey Bunny the Robbers of the Coffee Shop featured at the beginning and at the end of Pulp Fiction? Luigi, what did you get for number one?
Speaker 2: I had only one name, and it was Quentin Tarantino.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Tarantino. There you go? Uh, Young Shn what do you got for number one?
Speaker 5: I can picture their faces. I think one of them was Gabriel Byrne. Was the other one Juliet Lewis. I can't be quite sure.
Speaker 3: Oh you're you're so close. You're in the You're right, you're in the right neck of the name.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: Uh the guy that played Honey Bunny. He was also in Reservoir Dogs is mister Orange? Was the great actor Tim Roth, Tim Ron, Oh, Honey Bunny? And uh yeah, what's the other one? Pumpkin, No, he's Pumpkin. And then Honey Bunny is Amanda Plumber. Great character actress, Amanda Plumber that's been in a ton of stuff. She's got a huge filmography. But it was Tim Roth and Amanda Plumber that played Pumpkin and Honey Bunny. For question one, So no harm, no foul, all good?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Question number two, Gabarone or Gabarone is the capital city of what African nation? Young Shen?
Speaker 4: Botswana?
Speaker 3: I believe Wana? He believes Luigi? What did you put?
Speaker 2: I also had Botswana.
Speaker 3: Cow and we just talked about them recently. They just won one of their first medals in track and field the other day. It is the great nation of Botswana. For number two, you're both off the schneid. Here we go. Question number three. The best part of waking up is what coffee brand in your cup? Luigi? Olgers, Olders Crystals, Young Shen, I also have Folgers. It is, in fact Folgers in your cup. For number three, Now we're on a roll. Question number four. Who now holds the record for highest career batting average of three seventy two, surpassing Ty Cobb Since Major League Baseball has incorporated the stats from the Negro leagues. Young Shen Baseball's my kryptonite.
Speaker 4: So I just had Jackie Robinson.
Speaker 3: Jackie Robinson. Great, guess, Luigi.
Speaker 2: Was this one Josh Gibson.
Speaker 3: Josh Gibson. So we have Jackie Robinson, Josh Gibson. Correct answer is Josh Gibson. It is Josh Gibson that is now the leader career batting average.
Speaker 2: Also on the home r on all time home run chart, Yeah, which is wild considering how many games he played here in DC, which is notoriously not a good place for right handed better to hit home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's certain parks that they played in back then too that were like five hundred feet out of the park or whatnot. But I like the story about Josh Gibson where someone's like, oh, Josh Gibson, Yeah he's the He's the black Babe Ruth, and they're like, uhhh, Babe Ruth is the white Josh Josh Gibson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: Question number five, A prickle is the name for a group of what animals.
Speaker 2: Luigi porcupines. Although you know my you know, my doubts about collective down So I don't know, I don't know if Caxton had this one, Young Shen, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I also put porcupines, porcupines a prickle, but I figured the alliteration it would have been cuter.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you are correct. It is a prickle of porcupines. That is alliteration, folks, porcupines. For number five, Number six what eight teen forty six oratorio by Felix Mendelssohn tells the story of the titular Old Testament prophet who brings rain to Israel through his prayers and ascends in a fiery chariot to heaven. Young Sheen, I said, Elijah, Elijah, great guest, Luigi, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also I also had Elijah, and now I have p funk in my head. Thank you very much, ha hah.
Speaker 3: The correct answer is Elijah. Holy shit. That answer deserves a huzzah whether that's a good one. That is Elijah. For number six, question number seven, how many years plus or minus a year does it take the planet Jupiter to orbit all the way around our son, Luigi, I don't know. Twenty seven twenty seven, Good guess, young Shen, What did you put?
Speaker 4: Forty nine years?
Speaker 3: Forty nine? You guys, were a little too hot on that one. It's eleven years. It takes an years the planet of Jupiter to orbit our son, so that would make me like almost yeah, like four, I'm like four and a half. I'm four and a half on Jupiter. I guess dating myself. And finally, question number eight, in terms of presidential succession, what three women have been the closest to the presidency? Mister Wong, what did you get for number eight?
Speaker 5: Okay, so I believe it's Vice President Kamala Harris, former Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, and President pro time of the Senate, who I believe is Pattie Murray of Washington.
Speaker 3: So we have Harris, Pelosi and Murray. Great guesses, Luigi, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also had Vice President Harris and former Speaker Pelosi, and then I blanked on the President pro temp so I had to go further down to Secretary of State Madeline Albright.
Speaker 3: This is great. So what we're going to do here, this is how we're going to do it, Jackie, So I don't want to do fractions at all. I'm going to make your life easy. Okay, We're going to give Luigi two points and We're going to give young Shin three points for this answer because he nailed it. It is Vice President Kamala Harris, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi, and President pro Tem of the Senate. It is Patty Murray.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, good pull, Young good pull.
Speaker 5: I was such a nerd at one point, I like, I think I'm I memorized all the senators in like the mid to late nineties, I want to say, and she was one of them.
Speaker 4: So I was like, she's been around for a while and he's been around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, Jackie's tabulating our score. Jackie, what do we have after round one?
Speaker 1: Wow? Well, I'm very excited because we have a tie game. It is seven to seven.
Speaker 3: Seven all after one, very impressive scores. I did not take it easy on you in the general knowledge. Round seven all just how we like it. As we enter round two, which is our pop culture grab bag.
Speaker 1: Round two, pop culture grab bag.
Speaker 3: Today in the grab bag, we're gonna do a book round. These are all questions about The New York Times just recently came out with their Top one hundred books of the twenty first century. They had like five hundred authors or something vote on this stuff. And they came up with a top hundred book list that was pretty spectacular. Here we go. There's eight questions in this round. So here's question one of eight in this top twenty first century books on the New York Times list. Here in the grab bag, name the author that gave us both nonfiction bestsellers Cast and the number two book on their list, The Warmth of other Sons. Name that author. The Warmth of other Sons was about the great migration of African Americans from the Deep South to all these industry realized cities, and Cast was a great book that came out a couple of years ago. But name the author of those two books. Last name will suffice again for question number one. Name the author that gave us both nonfiction bestsellers Cast and the number two book on the list, The Warmth of other Sons.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I read both of these and they're outrageously good. All right, Question number two on the list. George Saunders is all over the list, but reached up to number eighteen with this novel. Blank in the bardo. Blank in the bardow. It's named after a president of the United States. Fill in that blank with the President of the United States. Blank in the Bardow by George Sanders, number eighteen on their list. All Right. Question number three goes like this. This Canadian short story writer with two entries on this list recently passed away, but soon after had her legacy tarnished by allegedly keeping silent regarding the abuse of her youngest daughter. It's kind of in the news over the last couple months. This Canadian short story writer, very beloved, had two entries on this list of short stories. She recently passed away, but soon after her legacy has been tarnished by allegedly keeping silent regarding the abuse of her youngest daughter. Name that author for number three? Question number four, David Mitchell wrote this lengthy novel number twenty eight on their list of interconnected stories, which was turned into a twenty twelve halle Berry Tom Hanks film.
Speaker 2: Sorry What For question number four.
Speaker 3: David Mitchell wrote this lengthy novel, so it's a hefty one, but it was up to number twenty eight on their list. It's a bunch of interconnected stories, and it was also turned into a twenty twelve Tom Hanks halle Berry film. All Right, Question number five of eight in your pop culture grab bag. Today we're talking about the New York Times Top one hundred Books of the twenty first century. American cartoonist Alison Bechdell created this graphic novel memoir was up to number thirty five on their list of her Dysfunctional Childhood in Rural Pennsylvania, which was later turned into a musical that won a Tony for Best Original Musical back in twenty fifteen. So again for question number five. American cartoonist Alison Bechdell created this graphic novel memoir number thirty five on the lists of her Dysfunctional Childhood in Rural Pennsylvania, and this whole story was later turned into a musical and won a Tony for Best Original Musical back in twenty fifteen. Luigi, how we feeling? After five?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 3: Are you pissed?
Speaker 2: The miser absolutely miserable?
Speaker 3: Oh no?
Speaker 2: Now one ballbinus or poopia is to be seen.
Speaker 3: Question number six, Number ninety three on the list is this Emily Saint John Mandel sci fi work that focuses on the Great Lakes region and the survivors of a great flu pandemic. This this was turned into I think a Max TV show or HBO show number ninety three on the list for number six is this Emily Saint John Mandel sci fi work that focuses on the Great Lakes region and the survivors. Some of these survivors are like a band of like Shakespearean actors. They're putting on plays after this great flu pandemic. Name that book that was turned into Yeah, an HBO show.
Speaker 1: The TV show was phenomenal and no one really watched it because it came out like in twenty or twenty twenty one, but it was very fresh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: Little too on the nose everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like the only the only like cultural phenomenon that was close to that in that time period was like Chernobyl, right, So so like that felt okay because it was the USSR and like radiation and not like America and pandemic, so that like felt okay.
Speaker 4: You're right.
Speaker 3: The timing of that, they probably were hoping that it would be better timing because the book was a best seller and they thought they had that built in audience. But yeah, it's like, you're right, it kind of came and went.
Speaker 1: I don't know anyone else who really watched it, but it's really good if you're looking for a good show and you're okay with watching pandemic stuff at the p Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 3: Question number seven of eight, Name the best seller. It was number ninety from viet Than The Yenn that won the twenty sixteen Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. This is another another book that was turned into an HBO show, Named the best seller, Number ninety from viet Than New Yen that won the twenty sixteen Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. I read this one and just thought it was fucking incredible.
Speaker 1: And I watched it.
Speaker 3: And you watched it. See I read them, you watch them together. We got this.
Speaker 1: I've started it. I actually started it recently, so I can't speak to it, but I like the first two episodes a lot.
Speaker 2: YEP.
Speaker 3: All right, and finally number eight, I think, thankfully for the reg so mad. I'm so pissed. I'm sorry I did this.
Speaker 2: It's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 3: Number eight Elena Ferranti's four book series that begins with number one on their whole list. Number one is my brilliant friend. Another HBO series. God, I'm like, just I'm promoting HBO. Elena Ferranti's four book series that begins with number one. My brilliant friend is known collectively as what what do they call those four novels of hers? They're called the Something Novels by Elena Ferrante. I did pick the first one up recently. I'm like number one on the list. Then that many people had it on their list. I'm like, I got to read.
Speaker 1: This then, and have you read it?
Speaker 3: Not yet? It's on the to do list.
Speaker 5: So I have read these novels and I think I don't know these Oh no, no, okay, never mind.
Speaker 2: See as I told, I told you, this is the this is where he this is where he kicks me.
Speaker 3: This is young Wheelhouse.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, the this, this is this is extremely.
Speaker 5: Never give me too much credit. I also had a category on Jeopardy called in the court Room, and I managed to get a whopping one right out of that time. It's an embarrassing miss of sidebar, which I do all the time.
Speaker 4: So don't give me. Don't give me too much credit here.
Speaker 2: So so I so I got I gotta ask you. I I gotta ask you right like you get a lock, you get a law category. Do your eyes light up a little bit? Because I had a I had a like the law category on my run and that was a day where it was me and then on the other hand was Harriet who just retired from laying and so like so like Ken read the categories and I swear to god, we looked at each other like, oh, yeah, that's on.
Speaker 3: I get, I get. I get petrified though, like if there was a category, like I'm a big sports fan and usually you know, it's like there's some people of the famous football category that no one knew anything. But I'm always nervous that if it was like a double, you know, the Final Jeopardy or a daily double, and I'm like all of it. Of course I know sports, and it's some like billiards question or something, I'll be like, oh my god, I'd be so embarrassed.
Speaker 2: Totally totally know the feeling, man, I totally know the feeling.
Speaker 3: It's just your eyes light up and you're like, be careful, though, don't don't get too cocky.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I'll take I'll take four and words. I'll take feign words and phrases with a chance to go to the finals.
Speaker 3: Nope, nope, nope. All right, do you guys need any repeats?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I'm good. You want this over as.
Speaker 3: Soon as possible, so we can move on. All right, pencils down, we'll go over your answers for round two, which is our pop culture grab back. Today was the New York Times Top one hundred Books of the twenty first Century list. Question number one of eight was named the author that gave us both nonfiction bestsellers, Cast and the number two book on the list was The Warmth of other Sons? Can you give me that author's name? Young shn.
Speaker 4: This is really embarrassing.
Speaker 5: I literally just bought this book for a client, and I don't remember her name. I know it's sort of the W So I just said Watson, Watson. Good guests, Luigi, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I had even less idea, and I'm less and I'm less conscientious, so I said Coates, Coats.
Speaker 3: So we have Tana Hesse, Coates and Watson. There is a w in there. Her name is is Isabelle Wilkerson. Is Wilkerson is her name? And if you're listening at home, yeah, Cast and the Warmth of other Sons are well worth your time. They're both incredible reads. Question number two, George Saunders is all over this list. But reaches up to number eighteen with this novel Blank in the Bordow. It's named after a very famous president of the United States. Fill in that blank, Luigi, what did you come up with?
Speaker 2: Again? This is not my category, So I went with Bush in the Bardo, which sounds way sketchier than that.
Speaker 3: Sounds salacious, Oh Man, bush In.
Speaker 4: I wish it were Bush in the Bardow.
Speaker 3: That sounds awesome, young shn. What do you got?
Speaker 4: Not the brag? But I have read this book. I think, of course, you have only novel and it's Lincoln in the Bardo.
Speaker 3: Lincoln in the Bardo is correct. It is Lincoln in the Bardow by George Sanders for number two question number three. This Canadian short story writer with two entries on this list recently passed away, but soon after had her legacy tarnished by allegedly keeping silent regarding the abuse of her youngest daughter. Young Shn, what did you put?
Speaker 5: I believe this is Alice Monroe and I have not read anything by her, Luigi.
Speaker 2: No, I haven't either, despite the fact that she was like I think they assigned her in high school and I scared that design.
Speaker 3: I skipped a lot of high school reading. I did Luigi, what did you put? For number three?
Speaker 2: I also had Alice Monroe.
Speaker 3: Alice Monroe, Yeah, I just read, yeah, one of her collections of short stories, and I would say, they're fine, They're good. Like I wasn't blown away. I like some of the other short story writers better. But then after this, I was like, ooh, it is Alice Monroe for number three question number four. David Mitchell wrote this lengthy novel number twenty eight on the List of Interconnected Stories, which was turned into a twenty twelve Halle Berry and Tom Hanks's film Luigi.
Speaker 2: Not a Clue, Man, Not a single clue, I think I wrote. I wrote here Gravity's Rainbow, which is completely wrong.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 4: Also an incomprehensible book.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was like, I was like, wait, what's an incomprehensible Like, what's an incomprehensible book that might fit this Gravity's trainbill? No, can't be. But that's all you got. So that's you got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought you made up that time.
Speaker 3: Well, it's is that Thomas pinch On. I've never read it because I've heard so many people say like, oh, man.
Speaker 5: I have read that book, and I can tell you I remember nothing about it.
Speaker 4: All I remember is like.
Speaker 5: Like all the V two rocket sites or places where he had sex with prostitutes. That's like the beginning of the novel, and I remember nothing else. Also, there's like a schatological scene where a general.
Speaker 4: Eats some feces. I believe in the book, and I was.
Speaker 5: I think I was like twenty twenty two when I read this, and I have no fucking idea what it was about still, so I'll never touch it again.
Speaker 3: Gravity's Rainbow. You've heard it here last folks don't read that book, young shen. Do you know this title, this David Mitchell book that turned into the Halleberry Tom Hanks film.
Speaker 5: I'm a soundarly errogant here, but I do. I believe it is Cloud Atlas.
Speaker 2: Ah shit, that's the one.
Speaker 4: The movie is wild and insane.
Speaker 5: It they all play like different characters in different ages and genres, and it's it's it's fucking wild.
Speaker 4: The book is also a.
Speaker 5: Great mixer genres. He goes from like like fifteenth century language to like uh detective to like sci fi. And I highly recommend his books everybody. Unlike Brady's Rainbow, these are very fun to rude so young.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm going to go up to the library and get tomorrow. This.
Speaker 4: This is really good.
Speaker 5: I recommend The Bone Flocks as well by him, and he wrote historical fiction novel called The Thousand Autumns of Jacob Izzott, also highly recommended.
Speaker 4: It's set in kind of a.
Speaker 5: If you're a big fan of a Showgun the series, this is a great companion piece to that kind of Japanese historical fiction era.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all those books are really.
Speaker 3: Great, very cool. Yeah, it is Cloud Atlas for number four, number five. American cartoonist Alison Bechdell created this graphic novel memoir I was number thirty five on their list of her dysfunctional childhood in rural Pennsylvania, which later was turned into a musical that won a Tony for Best Original Musical back in twenty fifteen. Young Shin, I'm.
Speaker 5: Sorry to sound insufferable, but I believe this is fun Home, which I have seen on Broadway, and I believe the movie version will start one mister Jake Gillenholl as the father oo Fun Home.
Speaker 1: It's not insufferable to be good. It's not unsufferable to get it right. It's good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Luigi, what did you put for number five?
Speaker 2: No had I had Dear Evan Hanson, because I can't, because I had no clue.
Speaker 3: It is fun Home. I haven't seen. I've heard great things about it. Yeah, I want to check it out. And now I want to get this graphic novel fun Home for number five. Question number six ninety three on the list is this Emily Saint John Mandel sci fi work that focuses on the Great Lakes region and the survivors of a great flu pandemic. Luigi, Big Flu, Yes, young Shen. Do you agree with that?
Speaker 5: I do not. I've read this book, so thank god I came the answer. It's Station eleven. I believe, great book, great great twist two at the end with some of the characters. I think, I love this book. It's it's it's Station eleven.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Maybe Station eleven is correct. Yeah, it's it's like it's an easy quick read. It's not some big long thing. But yeah, I loved it. I thought it was super fun. I read that during the pandemic and I actually enjoyed it. Station eleven for number six, Number seven name the best seller number ninety from viet Than Nyenn that won the twenty sixteen Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. Young Shen, I've also read this book.
Speaker 4: It's Sympathizer.
Speaker 3: I believe the Sympathizer, Luigi, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I have three question marks? I don't think that. I don't think that's the title though.
Speaker 3: Three question marks. That would be a good title for a book. That'd be eye catching if you're at a Barnes and Noble or something you see a book with three big ass question marks on it. The correct answer is the Sympathizer from viet Fan New Yen. I read that. Yeah, I loved I loved that book. That's a great one.
Speaker 2: I think what I'm learning is that I got to be in Young Him's book club because this is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's the most well read, I think contestant we've ever had, so tip of the cap, good Sir. Question number eight. Elena Ferrante is four book series that begins with My Brilliant Friend, is known collectively as what the What novels? Luigi, I don't know, Tesla, the Tesla, they got coils and novels, Young Shn. What did you put?
Speaker 5: I've read all these? I believe they're called the the Neapolitan.
Speaker 3: Novels Neapolitan novels. The correct answer is the Neapolitan novels, the Neapolitan novels. Do you recommend like the series as a whole like must read?
Speaker 4: Yes? Absolutely.
Speaker 5: It's like a panorama of the twentieth century Italian history, which is even more impressive because I believe they figured out who she is and apparently she's like a German born like editor that lives in Italy. Great great story between two friends, childhood friends and the kind of turbulent relationship growing up through the turbulent Italian postwar era. Yeah, higherarchy on these books of like the long European novel series. This one is much better than carl oav Canar's Guards six volume opus My Struggle, which I also read, would not recommend for most people, but as an achievement in reading recommend.
Speaker 3: But wow, what a category for young shen Jackie. After that round? What the hell is the new score at halftime?
Speaker 1: I just can't even believe it? But I actually can believe it. Would we say, is it true? Am I crazy? Or did young Sheen have a perfect round?
Speaker 3: He missed the first one and that's it, I think.
Speaker 1: But after that it was perfect perfect.
Speaker 3: He got the next seven in a row, right, incredible. Yeah, that was not an easy category at all.
Speaker 1: So the score has changed quite dramatically. We do have Young Sheen in the lead. We have Luigi just behind with eight points and Young Shen in the lead with fourteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fourteen to eight at half time. We're here with Luigi de Guzman. You can follow him on social media in oweg ouij on Instagram. He is playing for kind, which is kids in need of defense. And we're also here with Young Sheng Wong. You can follow him on social media. Hanso Underscoeshiba on Facebook and he's playing four. It gets batter. We're at halftime. It's fourteen to eight. It's still anyone's game. As we enter our third of four rounds, it is the dreaded or the Infamous Lightning.
Speaker 4: Round Round three, the Lightning round.
Speaker 3: Luigi, you are trailing, so you get to go first today and you could choose from these three categories today. Again, these categories have nothing to do with the question or the answer. It's just something to choose from. You could choose the teenage mutant, Ninja Turtles, g I Joe are the Transformers.
Speaker 2: M let's go with the teenage Ninja Turtles.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's do the teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'm gonna say the question twice. I'm gonna say go. You're gonna have twenty seconds to give me as many answers as possible, Young Shen, write some answers down because I'm coming straight to you with your five second rebuttal as soon as Luigi's twenty seconds are up. So Luigi, here we go. Here's your teenage Ninja Turtles question. What are the last nine NHL teams to hoist the Stanley Cup? These are the last nine different NHL franchises that have won the Stanley Cup. Twenty seconds on the clock and a goo.
Speaker 2: Uh biggest Golden Knights, Washington, Washington Capitals, Tampa Bay, Tampa Bay Lightning, Bruins, Boston Bruins.
Speaker 3: Jeez, stop, you got three. You got three of the last yeah, six, you got Vegas Golden Knights, which was a couple of years ago, Tampa Bay Lightning, and the Washington Capitals. Well done your five second rebuttal, Young shann to see if you could steal some answers. What are the last nine NHL teams to hoist the Stanley Cup five seconds on the clock and go.
Speaker 5: Panthers, Oilers, King's, Blues, Flyers, Red Wa Canadians.
Speaker 3: Stop you said the Panthers, Penguins. Who else did you say, Kings.
Speaker 5: Kan's Oilers, Blues Flyers, Red Wings Canadians.
Speaker 3: Okay, oh yeah, you still you stole for You got the Panthers who just hoisted it a couple of weeks ago. Then you had the Saint Louis Blues that had that crazy where they went from worse to first in the same season, Pittsburgh Penguins, and the La Kings. All the Kings were just on the list with number nine the ones we didn't get to a few years back. The Colorado Avalanche hoisted their first Cup in a while and uh and then my Chicago Blackhawks had a three in the six year span, so they were still on this list. Well done. That's the teenage mutant Ninja Turtles question. Now it's your turn in the barrel, young shn What do you want? G I Joe or the Transformers.
Speaker 5: I loved both these shows and toys as kids, but my favorite is Transformers, So I'll go Transformers.
Speaker 3: All right, Transformers. Here we go, Transformers, Yeah, g I Joe is kind of a geography question, so that'll just go in the hopper for a different day. Here is your Transformers question. I'm gonna say twice, say it twice, say go. You're gonna have twenty seconds. Say as much as you can. Luigi jot some of these answers down, so I'm coming straight to you your five second rebuttal. Here is your Transformers lightning round question. Per time out, what are the nine best horror films of all time? Timeout magazine put out a list of their best horror films. What are the best or the nine best horror films of all time? Twenty seconds on the clock and go.
Speaker 5: Exorcists, Halloween, Friday thirteenth, and Hereditary, Rosemary's Baby, Salem's Lot, The Shining.
Speaker 4: It.
Speaker 3: Stop. You got four, you got Shining, right under the Wire. You got The Exorcist was number one. The Shining was number two on their list, Rosemary's Baby was number seven, and number eight was Halloween. Well done, you got four. There's still some on the on the list here, Luigi, per time out, what are the nine best horror films of all time? Five seconds on the clock and a.
Speaker 2: Go Alien Exorcists for thirteen Halloween, Carrie.
Speaker 3: Stop you stole Alien? That was number four on the list. That's great. That's one of my favorites too. Great job on the Transformers question. We'll go over the ones you didn't get to. Number three. I didn't see it right away, but it's become my favorite. The Texas Chainsaw number three, leather Face number three on that number five a classic psycho. Gotta have some Hitchcock on there. Oh, number six, John Carpenter with the Thing. The Thing was list at number six and then number nine was a tough one. It's a great movie, but it's hard to find. Dawn of the Dead kind of one of the sequels after a Night of the Living Dead. Dawn of the Dead was number nine on their list. After that, very fun, well done lightning round, Jackie. What do we have as a scoreboard update?
Speaker 1: We have Luigi with twelve and we have Junction with twenty two.
Speaker 3: Twenty two to twelve.
Speaker 1: Whit a good round after three?
Speaker 3: As we enter our fourth and final round between these two gents, is the Theodore Double Duty Radcliffe Round round four.
Speaker 4: The Double Duty.
Speaker 3: We call it the Double Duty because points are doubled, and there are nine questions in this round. So there are eighteen very large points up four grabs. We have two history buffs here, so we're going to do a category all about us history. Here is question number one of nine. What chief Justice of the Supreme Court infamously wrote the major decision seven to two in the landmark case dread Scott versus Sanford. What chief Justice of the Supreme Court infamously wrote the major decisions seven to two in the landmark case dread Scott versus Sanford. So, yeah, name that chief Justice the Supreme Court that wrote the major decision in the dread Scott case for number one. Last name Will Suffice. Question number two, what cabinet department has had the most female secretaries with seven? There have been seven female secretaries of this cabinet department. Name it for number two again, what cabinet department has had the most female secretaries with seven?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: Question number three is a fun question, I think. Name the three films that are noted for being groundbreaking focused on the transition from silent films to sound films or talkies. The three films star Al Jolson, Gene Kelly and Margo Robbie, What a Jackie's digging this? I can tell like, what did you repeat that talk yep? Name the three films that are noted for being groundbreaking or focused on the transition from silent to talkies or silent to sound films. The three films star Al Jolson in one, Gene Kelly in another, and Margo Robbie in a third. Name those three films for two points each, five points each for Luigi all Right. Question number four of nine. In the Double Duty, the Battle of Little Big Horn or to the Lakota and Other Plains Indians, the Battle of the Greasy Grass was the most significant battle in what eighteen seventy six war? It's a famous battle, but what war were they fighting? So again for number four, the Battle of the Little Bighorn or to the Lakota and Other Plains Indians. The Battle of the Greasy Grass was the most significant battle. But in what eighteen seventy six war was that battle fought? All right? Question number five? In what year was Nancy Kerrigan attacked and OJ Simpson arrested? In what year did both those things take place? Nancy Kerrigan was bashed on the knee and OJ Simpson was arrested for double murder in what year? For question number five? Question number six I found interesting I didn't know this before, But what early first lady was not at her husband's inauguration as she was tending to her hubbies dying eighty nine year old mother. Again for question number six, what early for first lady was not at her husband's inauguration as she was tending to her hubbi's dying eighty nine year old mother at the time. I think that's back, Yeah, when the inaugurations were in March.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: Question seven's a doozy. It's a long one, but it's kind of a fill in the blank. The famous Delano Blank Strike was a five year labor strike organized by both the predominantly Filipino Agricultural Workers Organization Committee a WALK led by Larry Itlong and the predominantly Mexican National farm Workers Association and FWA led by Cesar Chavez and Dolores Querta, later merging to create the United farm Workers the UfW. But it was the famous Delano Blank Strike. What the product strike was that five year labor strike?
Speaker 2: I just wrote a crazy question about this.
Speaker 3: Oh really, yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh my god. You hear that young Shen Wo coming back. He's coming back but again.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: For question number seven, the famous Delano blank strike name that fill in that blank? Yeah, all those labor heroes, Yeah, Larry Leong says our Chaves, Dolores.
Speaker 1: Puerta, probably, Milano cookies probably.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's catchy, it's catchy, it's snappy, all right. Question number eight. I don't know how to pronounce this name, so my apologies, but it's guy on or Geon Blueford was the first African American astronaut in space. But who's the first African American female in space? Geon Blueford was the first African American astronaut in space? But who was the first African American female in space? All Right? It could come down to this question number nine of nine in US history, Double duty Cliff rowned. This is a funny question. At the eighteen or at the nineteen eighty nine Grammys, what classic rock band known for hits Aqualung, Cross Eyed Mary and Locomotive Breath crazily beat out Metallica and others to win the first ever Best Hard Rock or Metal Grammy. It became like a kind of they all got lampoon. They were like what who won so again at the nineteen eighty nine Grammys, What classic rock band known for hits aqualung, Cross Eyed Mary and Locomotive Breath crazily beat out Metallica and others to win the first ever Best Hard Rock or Metal Grammy.
Speaker 2: Some of the best jazz flute that you're going to hear in the pop record. I'm gonna say right now.
Speaker 3: Ah yes, indeed, all right, pencils down, let's go over our answers for our double dooty Radcliff frown. This is all about us history. What chief Justice of the Supreme Court infamously wrote the major decision seven to II in the landmark case dred Scott versus Sandford, Luigi, what did you get for number one?
Speaker 2: That's Roger Tanny.
Speaker 3: Roger Tanny young shen what did you put it is?
Speaker 4: Indeed Roger Tanny, yep.
Speaker 3: Roger Tanny. And I think yeah, it was just like grandkids or great grandkids that were like, yeah, we're.
Speaker 2: Still at Statuary Hall here in Capital by the way, so yeah, so so like that, that's that's that's been like a pressure point lately. It's like, why is Roger Tanny still in Satuary Hall.
Speaker 3: That deserves a splosh. That's one of the worst decisions in US history. But it is Roger Tanny t a n e y for question number one. Question number two, what cabinet department has had the most female secretaries? With seven? Young Shen?
Speaker 4: I guess Health and Human Services?
Speaker 3: Health and Human Services? Great guests, Luigi, what did you put.
Speaker 2: Going with the Labor with the O. G. Madam Secretary? Yeah, O G.
Speaker 4: That's a good one.
Speaker 3: It's a good one. Health and Human Services and Labor, great guesses. It is the Department of Labor. Labor has had seven femals. Yeah. Question number three, name the three films that are noted for being groundbreaking or focused on the transition from silent films to talkies. The three film star Al Jolson and one Gene Kelly and another and Margot Robbie in a third. Luigi, what did you put.
Speaker 2: So the Jazz Singer starring Al Jolson, Singing in the Rain starring Gene Kelly, and then three I think was the artist that was the most recent. That was the most recent one with Margot Robbie.
Speaker 3: Great guesses, Young Shechen, what.
Speaker 5: Did you put I've had Broadway Melody. I believe Luci's right with the jazz singer singing the Rain and the Margot Robbie. One was Babylon, which was a cocaine fueled romp through the transition. Also very entertaining though except for the ending. But I recommend it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm gonna give you two points apiece. You got two of the three each, so we'll give you two points apiece. We got the jazz singer with al Joelson, Yes, singing in the Rain with Geen Kelly, and yeah, I was going for Babylon with Marvel Robbie. But the artist is the great guest. That's right there. Yeah, two points a piece for number three. All right, question number four with the Battle of the Little Big Horn or to the Lakota and other Plains Indians, it was the Battle of the Greasy Grass was the most significant battle in what eighteen seventy six war? What was the war? Young Shen?
Speaker 4: I put the Sioux War? Not sure if that's right.
Speaker 3: The Sioux War, Luigi, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I had the Dakota War. I didn't have much of a clue on that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have the Sioux War, the da go To war. It is the great Sue War of Ah, So it is the Great Sioux War. Two big points for Young Shen. That's a tough question. Question number five in what year was Nancy Kerrigan attacked and Oj Simpson arrested Luigi?
Speaker 2: So if it's Nancy Kerrigan, that was before the Lilla Hammer Games, right, So it was ninety.
Speaker 3: Four, nineteen ninety four, Young Shen? What did you put?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 5: I was like, did it happen before, like during nineteen ninety three or nineteen ninety four when the Lily Games were So I I just went with my I wined the year of the game, So I think nineteen.
Speaker 4: Ninety four as well.
Speaker 3: Nineteen ninety four. Yeah, I think that's when the Winter Olympics did nineteen ninety two and ninety four to get like off the four bolf on the four four year term or whatnot. It's like Albertville, France or something. In Little Hammer, it is nineteen ninety four. Two points eats.
Speaker 2: Freshman year baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Question number six, what early first lady was not at her husband's inauguration as she was tending to her hubbies dying eighty nine year old mother, Young Shen, what did you put for number six? Uh?
Speaker 4: I guess Madison.
Speaker 3: Dolly Madison, great guest, Luigi, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I also had Dolly Madison. She's like the most first of She's the first of the first ladies in my mind.
Speaker 3: Dolly Madison. Everyone loves Dolly Madison. It was, in fact, Abigail Adams was not John Adams's inauguration. I found that. I didn't. I never knew that. I was like, wow, that's something I should know. Abigail Adams was taken care of John adams mother at the time of his inauguration in March of that year. Yeah, question number seven. The famous Delano Blank Strike was a five year labor strike organized by both the predominantly Filipino Agricultural Workers Organizing Committee a WALK led by Larry Itlong and the predominantly Mexican National farm Workers Association the NFWA, led by Cesar Chavez and Dolores Hoerta, later merging to create the United farm Workers the UfW. But what was it the famous Delano blank strike, Luigi.
Speaker 2: That's the famous Delano grape strike.
Speaker 3: Grape strike, young Shen. What did you put? U? I should have get great, but I put orange orange. We have grapes and oranges. It's fruits abound in this question. It is the famous Delano grape strike table grapes five year labor strike. So two big points for Luigi, right there. Question number eight, Gan Blueford was the first African American astronaut in space. But who was the first African American female in space? Young Shin.
Speaker 5: I do not remember this person's name, so I just put Grace Hopper. I believe she was the first female, first African American admiral and also a computer programmer.
Speaker 4: But anyone, that's not right?
Speaker 3: Excellent guest, Luigi, what did you put?
Speaker 2: I have my ever popular response with three question marks because I can see the official portrait, but it can't.
Speaker 4: Place the name.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's a total badass, trendsetter, trailblazer. Her name was may Jemison Mayon was the first African American female in space? All right? Question number nine. At the nineteen eighty nine Grammys, what classic rock band known for hits? Aqualung, Cross Eyed Mary and Locomotive Breath crazily beat up Metallica and others to win the first ever Best Hard Rock Slash Metal Grammy? Luigi, what do you got? Jethrow Tall Jethrow Tall, Ian Anderson on flute. Young, Shit, what did you put?
Speaker 4: I put the other into miss win. I put Steely Dan.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have Steely Dan and Jethro Toll. The correct answer is Jethrow Tall. Oh my god.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When that happened, everyone was like, what, Holy cow, that's great, Jethrow Toll winning Best Metal Grammy. All right, that was a hell of a game, Jackie tell us everything.
Speaker 1: The last round got a little dicey made the game way close, and I thought, oh my gosh, are we gonna have an upset here? We didn't have an upset. Junction did win with thirty two points, but Luigi, you were close behind with twenty six.
Speaker 3: You really can't damn closing the gap. That was one hell of a game. Thirty two to twenty six. Those are both really incredible scores. We are here with Luigi de Guzman. You can follow him on social media at instawege on ig and we're happy to make a donation in his name to kind which is Kids in Need of Defense. And then our champ Young Shen Wong, you are the smartest person in the world for one week. You can follow him on social media at Hanzo Underscore Sheba on Facebook and we're happy to make a donation in his name to It gets Better. One hell of a game. We're almost done, but it's time for Jackie to take it away with our final throwdown.
Speaker 4: The final throwdown.
Speaker 3: Jackie, what do you got for us today? You're giggling, Let's hear it.
Speaker 1: This is the question that I came up with before the two of you, and that you're a Jeopardy champs.
Speaker 3: That they're the smartest people on the planet. Yeah.
Speaker 1: In nineteen ninety three, what became the first video game played in space?
Speaker 3: Oh? Oh, lay it? Honest, who's got it? Who's got the first lightning bulb?
Speaker 2: Okay? So so ninety three, even if I don't know it, you gotta go with Tetris. This is is the og game Boy. That's the only thing you can fit. Yes's the only thing you can fit in your crue allotment for NASA.
Speaker 5: There was a there was a Mario game for the Game Boy, but it wasn't like it was not good as universal of Tetris.
Speaker 4: Anyone can play Tetris.
Speaker 2: Well because also because Tetris was the packet, so like that was the gris came Tetris. It came to Tetris, and I.
Speaker 3: Love I liked watching that movie that came out recently about how crazy the story is of Tetris just in general. But that's the thing that popped into my head too, was Tetris. That's the only thing I could kind of think of ninety three.
Speaker 1: Well, and you all got it immediately, right, nice Like.
Speaker 2: It's like it's like it's that that's an east so so like the the nice thing is right, The nice thing about that is you can get that. You can get there any number of ways, right, like okay, number one, the OG game Boy. The OG game Boy releases in eighty nine, right, so it's so it's still hot. We're like like the the I believe that the hot game for ninety three was still one of the teams, like one of the teenage Ninja Turtle games. I had this by the way, I think, I stick that I've got my old game Boy, and then the other the other way to think about it is all right, so you got to think about if we're going to bring something into space that isn't like that is just for fun. It can't be very big, very heavy, raw aut of electricity.
Speaker 3: The thought of like astronauts playing like an atari or a sega, like floating with all the cartridges and the stuff.
Speaker 2: Like that's funny, like oh like like it's so like and there there are other things. There are other things about that that are really bad because like you know, like when you know, like when you blow on the car when you wouldn't get like good contact. Yeah, right in zero G nothing is keeping that dust off of your thing, right, so you actually have to like brush it or do something because you're like you're not blowing it off of there for anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't do that in space. Holy cow, we got Tetris, first video game ever played in space back in nineteen ninety three. That's a great question, Jackie.
Speaker 2: I like that one.
Speaker 1: That's fun, the fun one.
Speaker 3: Well, gents, that's our game. What a hell of a job. It was so great to have you guys here and just have two great Jeopardy champs here, continued success and all the things you do. And yeah, hopefully I'll be in DC real soon. And then yeah, young schen, we have to go tip one back and go to O'Brien's and play some trivia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, let me know whenever you're up for it. I can throw the batsuggle out and we can get a team together, and we can do it.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, Let's do it.
Speaker 1: See you next week for another episode you Should Know Better.
Speaker 3: Want to help out the podcast, please subscribe to you Should Know Better. Wherever you listen to podcasts, rate our show and write a review if you can. It really helps get the word out to the masses. We thank you, and for some daily trivia action, check us out on TikTok and Instagram Until next week. Take care of yourselves and each other. We're all in this together, and in the immortal words of Harry Carey.
Speaker 4: So long everybody.
Speaker 3: You Should Know Better. As produced by Jackie Gonzalez de Ruthie and myself Mike C. Nelson, Edited by Nick Wright. All music created by mister Kevin Shema, voice over tenent Natalia Castelianos, and graphic design by Jason Caldera and Calderico