Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 2: Chris marriln for Bill Today.
Speaker 3: Can if I Am six forty more stimulating talk listen anytime on demand of the iHeartRadio app. You'll find the program and all the socials at Bill Handles Show. At Bill Handle Show, Amy was giving us that update on Rick Cruso, who says now's not the time to be divided, Now's the time to come together. So he does not support the recall of Mayor Bass. And I was thinking, what, here's the guy who's been very critical, here's the guy that ran against here, here's a guy that obviously doesn't want her to be the mayor.
Speaker 2: Why wouldn't he want to use this opportunity? And that it dawned on me.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it's brilliant or obvious, or maybe both, but he doesn't want Mayor Bass to be recalled. He wants to have a very very weak candidate to run against in the next election.
Speaker 2: That's it. I mean her, her popularity right now is in.
Speaker 3: The crapper, and he's thinking if she gets recalled, then another Democrat will likely be elected and he's going to be left on the outside looking at again. However, if in the next election he can run and she ends up being the one he runs against, she's the weakest candidate, so he wants to keep the weakest.
Speaker 2: Candidate ahead of him. That's, of course it is.
Speaker 3: Imagine if you're a boxer, you want to fight against you want to fight against the tops, or you want to fight against class Joe, Right, which one you want? You want glass Joe. You want to be able to knock him out easy. He wants to run against the weak Canada, of course he does. So It's all politics, man, It's all politics.
Speaker 2: It's all happening there. Let's let's do this. Let's let's go to space.
Speaker 3: An impressive sight yesterday as we watch then astronauts return to Earth. And I don't know about you, but I was rooting for them, but also a little worried because SpaceX history here in the last couple of weeks has not been great. But indeed they did make it back down. Everything is fine. We're all very excited. And they were greeted in the Gulf of America by a pod of dolphins, which was the cutest thing ever.
Speaker 4: After a planned ten day trip to space turned into nine months because of issues with Boeing's new Starliner crew capsule. Butch Wilmore and Sonny Williams are back on Earth. NASA astronaut Nick Haig and Russian cosmonaut Alexander Gorbinov also returned today, wrapping up a six month mission in space, all in good health.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you feel like they're kind of part of the posse. You go see you see a celebrity walking down the street, and you focus on the celebrity.
Speaker 2: Everybody else is just in the posse. And then we're like, Butch and.
Speaker 3: Sunny are back, and then there there was a couple couple other guys too that were on the.
Speaker 2: Bus and splash down Crew nine back on Earth.
Speaker 4: The SpaceX capsule splashing down off the Florida coast Tuesday afternoon, a stunning site. Hours earlier, the capsule detached from the International Space Station to begin the long journey to finally bringing them home. By the way, the capsule has been attached there since I think September. This was the plan all along. So anybody that.
Speaker 3: Tells you that died in abandon them. I brought them back. It was an amazing thing that I did. This is always the plan. As soon as the Boeing star Liner malfunctioned, NASA went, what do you want to do, and they said, well, we planned that if there were any problems, they could stay up there. We've got other flights planned to bring the other crew members home, Butch and Sonny can stay up there for a while. But they gained attention because it wasn't planned, and we went okay. It was supposed to be a ten day trip and ended up being eight or nine months. I think Amy referred to this as the Gilligan's Island.
Speaker 2: Of space, and on docin confirmed sonny.
Speaker 4: Mother Bonnie Pandia and her sister Dina Pondia anxiously awaiting her arrival.
Speaker 2: So we're all excited.
Speaker 3: We're waiting for her, we're waiting to hear from her, and it's just a wonderful experience now that we're going to have.
Speaker 2: It's wonderfault. It's wonderful.
Speaker 3: If you watched it, it was it was cool to see and I was glad that all the different news networks broke away, and I think I think even some of the main networks broke away in order to cover the return because we're all really excited about them coming back. It's been a long drama that played out. They went up, it was the Golf of Mexico and Elon Musk had thirteen kids. They come down, it's the Golf of America and Elon Musk has fourteen kids. So lots changed and they get back down and we're all very excited about this.
Speaker 2: But now what So it's sort of like it's sort of like a deep sea diver.
Speaker 3: You know, how a diver goes down and then when they come up, they have to come up in stages, so they don't get the bends, you know the I think it is it nitrogen in the blood. I believe that that becomes a problem. So they come up slowly and then they acclimate, and then they come up a little more, and then they acclimate, and then they come up a little more in they acclimate. Same sort of thing happens with the astronauts. They come down, they sit in the capsule. They were only in there, man. I think that capsule was only floating for about ten minutes before the boats got to them. That is incredibly accurate. NASA is really good at math, and they said that thing is going to come down, and it's going to land in this area, and the boats were on it. That is fast, so good job on that. And then they hoisted it out, they brought it on the ship, and then they brought all of the astronauts out one at a time. So now what happens now they go into it's not a quarantine, it's what they call it a recovery program. They're going to go through a forty five day recovery program where they will be allowed to shrink. Yeah, I want you to think about all those commercials you see for the teeter inversion tables.
Speaker 2: I've got one.
Speaker 3: I love that thing because it extends my back, stretches me out. You know that when you're in space and there's no pressure on your back, it naturally decompresses. Scott Kelly was in space in twenty sixteen. He was up there for almost a year, slightly longer than these guys were. But when Scott Kelly came back down they took his measurements. He got two inches taller just by not having his back compressed. So basically, when we get back down and the astronauts have to reacclimate to gravity, they will shrink. Also, they have to allow bodily fluids to go back out to their extremities, because when they're in space, the bodily fluids start to come to the center their bodies, kind of like it does if you're in shock, only in this case it just has to do with the zero gravity. And then so they have to allow blood flow to return. They have to allow the astronauts to shrink, and then they're going to test them for radiation, and if they have too much radiation, they can never go back into space again, and they will. In this case, these astronauts will be checked for the rest of their lives for cancer simply because of the exposure to radiation that they experienced for the what eight or nine months that they were that they were orbiting so high radiation exposure. Got to make sure they don't get cancer. If you were watching the news yesterday, you know that there was a big to do between President Trump and the judge who said that you can't go and acting the the Scary Aliens of seventeen ninety eight Act in order to deport people. We're not at war with Venezuela. You can't go deporting Venezuelans without due process. Under this Alien Enemies Act. You have to go through the normal means, due process, all those other things that we have in this country. The President said, Judge, no, those were his words. Yeah, he said, no, I can do whatever I want.
Speaker 5: Wrong.
Speaker 3: Wrong, I can do what I want, Judge. The judge said, turn that plane around and bring it back, and Trump said wrong. So now the judge says, today, you better tell us what's up, and you better tell us why you ignored those court orders. Joining us right now is our News Nation reporter Tom Dempsey. Tom, is this are we headed toward? I hate to use the phrase because I think it's being overused right now, but are we headed toward a constitutional crisis?
Speaker 2: Is this the first step?
Speaker 1: That's what the ACLU is saying. And can I first say too. I love the way you talked about this case, that made it so simple. You really laid it out for the listener as well. I mean, it's an interesting one to be following because you know, we're here in DC today noon Eastern time. That's the deadline for the Department of Justice to respond to more questions from this judge, and we're seeing the Department of Justice sort of fight back against this right now. It's saying that this judge lacks the authority to ask so many different questions, and the judge is asking literally wanting to know by the minute, when those planes took off, when they landed, when they enter the international airspace. So again there's this all these questions going around and going back and forth between the judge criticizing the one side, and the Department of Justice criticizing the judge, and President Trump also joining in on that. So we're just seeing a lot of uncertainty play out with this case. Right now. You have one side, the Department of Justice and President Donald Trump raising all these concerns about the trend de Arragua Venezuelan gang and saying that these people who are deported were allegedly members of that gang, and they keep bringing up, you know, the national security issues that were in place, you know, to get these people out of the country and the help Americans stay safe. But like you said and kind of laying it out there, there's also very big concerns on the other side of this that the Trump administration may have violated the order on this judge to halt the deportations because there's big questions going around the ACLU raising them that you know, maybe some of these people who are deported weren't members of the gang, and they're raising concerns about, like you said, the due process. This is a wartime policy that was used in peace time, so big questions about the presidential authority in this case. And I don't know necessarily know what's going to happen next year. I'm seeing some people in Trump's circle saying that this could end up all the way in the Supreme Court. So again, there's some stuff to keep an eye out for today.
Speaker 3: Though, Yeah, I think Tom, I think they wanted to go to the Supreme Court because I think they feel like they've they've packed it well enough. But I don't know that it's going to play out the way that they wanted to. One of the arguments, at least in the court of public opinion, that the Trump administration is playing is that we're trying to make America safer, We're getting rid of terrorists, and if you want to argue for terrorists, then be our guest. We're willing to take that argument on is being pro due processed the same as being pro terrorist?
Speaker 2: Because I feel like not bridge too far?
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely not. I mean, this is I keep in mind, this is the ACLU too. In the ACLU represents, you know, people that many people might disagree with. So but what they're arguing is that, you know, even the alleged members of a gang are owed rightful due process to have their time at court and to argue their case. And you know, that's what this is all coming down to. Did the Trump administration sort of rush in this maneuver to get these people out of the country, and they did, they willingly defy this order from the judge. We just don't know, that's factually speaking. And that's sort of what today is all about. Trying to get more information from the Department of Justice, and like I said, literally coming down the minutes in this case, when that plane, when the planes took off, when they landed, because if those show that the Trump administration, you know, potentially may have violated this court order to halt the deportations, this could get really interesting. And I don't necessarily know what happens next after that, like you said, probably appeals and maybe ending up with the Supreme Court. But it's going to be interesting to see what happens next.
Speaker 3: Is our News Nation reporter, so Chief Justice Roberts sort of rebuked the White House and their criticism of this federal court judge. Are we likely to see perhaps some unconscious bias entering in on the part of the judiciary when they are approached with some of these Trump orders, Do they say, you know, we're a little skeptical and we know the Chief Justice at least is going to support that we have the right to make the decision.
Speaker 2: I mean maybe this is in Bolden was that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, That's what's been interesting is covering this over the past three three or so days. One thing I'm noticing a lot more is this pushback from the Republicans and allies of the president against federal judges. And this federal judge, James Boseburg is his name. He was conferred by the Setate by a vote of ninety six to nothing back in twenty eleven. He's appointee of former President Barack Obama. But you know, you are sort of seeing this pushback from President Trump whenever he gets an unfavorable ruling. And let's be clear, this is not the first time this has happened. During this second term of his presidency, There's been a lot of the court challenges to these federal government cuts and the cuts of the workforce. So you know, actually as we speak right now looking at the United States Capitol building. But we are seeing some Republicans respond to this with the lawmakers saying that they want to the one lawmakers already filed the articles of impeachment against the federal judge. So I don't necessarily think that's going to happen. It takes a two thirds majority in the Senate, meaning Republicans would need Democrats support to get rid of this judge. But it just shows you sort of how President Trump is thinking right now and some of his allies responding to all this.
Speaker 3: All right, Tom Dempsey, our News Nation reporter, Tom, thanks so much, appreciate the report on you co equal branches of government. It doesn't always feel so co equal. If you're on the socials. It's at Bill Handle Show, at Bill Handle Show. And if you are on the socials, there's a chance, while you may not navigate the socials as well as your teenager or young adult, you are better at not falling for shenanigans, which is what we're seeing. We're seeing a bunch of the kids these days that somehow are more savvy online than any prior generation and also equally dummer than any prior generation. This I pulled audio here, this from NBC in Washington that was talking about the phishing scams that the kids these days are falling for.
Speaker 6: The numbers are alarming, more than one hundred and one million dollars lost in online scams in twenty twenty one by people under twenty years old. The study was done by Social Catfish, a company dedicated to preventing online scams through reverse search technology.
Speaker 2: It's such who are a people search company.
Speaker 5: We help people verify people online and so you know, our focus is online safety.
Speaker 6: The uptick might be because fifty four percent of the households called don't monitor their kids' activities online.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, nobody likes spying on their kids. It is harder to be a parent now than it ever has in the past. It's harder to be a kid than it's ever been in the past. It's harder to be a parent. You hear stories from us fogies that we'll talk about how our parents would say, go outside and don't come back until it's dark, or don't come back until the street lights come on. And there were times that we would I recall playing basketball with friends.
Speaker 2: And I'm not talking about street games with anybody that was.
Speaker 3: Good at basketball, but it was just a group of guys somewhere between the ages of twelve and sixteen, and we'd be out there playing basketball until we literally couldn't see the basket any longer, and then everybody walked home and we'll see again tomorrow. That's what we did, right. Parents didn't have to spy on us now. Occasionally to have one of the kids, parents would drive by and just wave and go, hey, I'm just heading home.
Speaker 2: Just wanted to say hi.
Speaker 3: And you know, now, looking back at it as a parent, I can look back and go, okay, they were just checking to make sure the kid was there and then everything's safe. Cool, it's great. But now you have to put keyloggers on your kid's computer. You have to put spywear on your own kid's computer to make sure that they're not falling victim. And the kids don't like it because they say, you're watching everything I'm doing. Of course, teenagers do that because they want their independence. Yeah, I'm watching what you're doing. Because there's always some pervo out there asking for you to send nude pictures truth. In the old days, there were still pervos, but you could identify them because they had really noisy vans with no windows.
Speaker 2: Nowadays you can't see them.
Speaker 5: When they're randomly contacted by somebody, whether it be through social media, through email, or their phones. They don't have their spider sets up like you or I where we grew up in like that don't talk to strangers generation.
Speaker 6: Leaving over confident tech savvy teams to be exposed to four common SCAMSOO what would they be? The first is sex stortion. The FBI published this warning on sextortion plots against teenage boys. Often scammers will pose as a female, send new photos and ask for the same in return.
Speaker 2: Thank Goodness TV out of the sound effects it's received.
Speaker 6: The victim is told if he does not send money, a photo will be sent to all of his friends and family and posted online.
Speaker 5: It's sad because last year there was a story of a Florida team that actually committed suicidally.
Speaker 2: Oh and what we.
Speaker 5: Realize is with most sex stortion cases, though they're empty threats.
Speaker 6: Before chatting with a stranger online, perform a reverse image search to confirm the person is who they say they are, and if you received a threat, contact local law enforcement to report it.
Speaker 3: Now here's where the team is going to be better than you are doing the reverse image search. Swear to god, it would take me ten minutes to figure out how to do that. I could figure it out, but I don't have the reverse image search website handy on my computer.
Speaker 2: It would take me a hot minute.
Speaker 6: Another scam is student loan forgiveness. Most of the time, the victim will get emails or texts asking for personal information like their Social Security number and payment information. To avoid this, the Department of Education's official financial site studenta dot gov should be the only site you give personal information.
Speaker 2: To, although that site may go down here very shortly because.
Speaker 6: Of cuts, and there is no application fee to apply up. Next, talent scout scam users on Instagram.
Speaker 2: And tic we got it, talent scouts blah blah blah.
Speaker 6: What else to avoid? Just never click on any links, even if the link was sent from a friend.
Speaker 3: There you go, don't click on links. You don't have any talent. Nobody wants to see you naked. And what was the other one? Who was the other one?
Speaker 2: We just had?
Speaker 3: So why do people fall for it? Because when you're a teenager, you're dumb. When you're a young adult, you're dumb. You've got more hormones than brains, and you've got what the kid call fomo. Now for many of you, you know what fomo means. But every time I say the phrase fomo, my wife has to ask what does that mean? And I just say, you just wouldn't understand. You're getting up there, and that's when I get to go sleep on the couch. But fomo is fear of missing out. So we have so many young people that have a fear of missing out that they're willing to send nuties of themselves to randos. They're willing to click on links that say we'll pay off your student loan debt, because I mean, what if there's a chance that it's real? And they'll click on all kinds of different links because I don't want to miss out on something.
Speaker 2: Oh, this talent.
Speaker 3: Agent spotted my Instagram and says I'm hot and could be a model. I better click on the link and give them my photos and send them money to represent me, because I mean, what if they are real? Well, jincidentally is not new. This happened when I was in college. The Internet was still very young as far it's ubiquity. And when I was in college, we used to get.
Speaker 2: Those chain letter emails.
Speaker 3: Forward this to six people, you know, because Bill Gates is giving every one.
Speaker 2: A thousand dollars that's on this chain. We got those.
Speaker 3: Constantly, constantly, and we always forwarded them because I mean, we're ninety nine point nine percent sure this is garbage, but just in case, maybe Bill Gates is trying to figure out who can give money to okay, and we forward it same thing fear of missing out.
Speaker 2: Fomo.
Speaker 3: There it is now no more ratty kids at your hotel. Thank goodness. I am a grump. I love kids in small doses, and certainly not when I'm trying to sleep. There is a resort in Encinnitas that has recently come recently become Southern California is only adults only, ocean front resort, according to the Only Times. Now some are saying, well, that's illegally, you can't do. You can't ban kids from hotels. So now you've got a bunch of others that are trying to figure out is this legal?
Speaker 2: Is it not? Legal?
Speaker 3: Attorneys, consumer advocates, travelers, all this stuff. Is this a violation of civil code? And I thought it was an interesting conversation that we could have because if you're like me, you'd love to go to a resort that doesn't have a bunch of kids running around. If you go to Las Vegas, they have places like adults only pools, They have places where you are not allowed to bring kids. I don't know that there are adults only hotels in Vegas though, anybody are they are adult only hotels in Vegas?
Speaker 2: There should be, right.
Speaker 4: Well, kids aren't allowed like in the gambling areas.
Speaker 3: Nope, and they're not allowed. There's some adult only pools absolutely adult yeah, right, so they should And I think in some ways what these hotels and resorts in Vegas are doing is they are they are de facto becoming no kids allowed, as opposed to just posting no kids allowed. So this Alila, Maria, I'm sure I'm pronouncing that wrong. Beach resort in Encinita's, part of the Hyatt Hotel Empire, announced that they would exclude children as overnight guests. They have become the self described only adults only ocean front resort in southern California, and some people are saying that is a no go. They say, we cater to adults only because that's kind of our vision. So what's is this not discrimination? Is this not age discrimination?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Is it age discrimination? If you're twenty three years old and you can't rent a car, is that age discrimination? California courts have decided that the Act does prohibit landlords from refusing to rent to families with children. So you may have a landlord that says no kids in my complex and parents go up. You can't say that it's our alady been checked out. You have to read to us even though we have horrible children. I'm not saying all children are horrible. Just when they're on vacation and they're not mine, that's when they're horrible. Of course, there is another way around this, and there are times that I think some people take capitalism in the free market too far. For instance, RFK says that we should allow the bird flu to run rampant so we can figure out who the strong chickens are. I'm paraphrasing, but that's pretty much the gist of it. Then they will develop their own natural immudities and they'll be stronger chickens.
Speaker 2: Is that Okay, should we.
Speaker 3: Just say, sure, lase a fair spread the bird flu and then let's weed out the weak ones. Darwinism at its best, that is a capitalism gone a little too far right. However, I do think there's an opportunity for capitalism and the market to correct this issue. If you've got an adult's only hotel, couldn't you have other places to say they're going to institute family only bookings?
Speaker 2: And why not think about this?
Speaker 3: If you go to if you go to some of the football games, could be a college game, could be a program. They have those sections that are called the family sections in the stadiums.
Speaker 2: Those are the family sections. The family sections.
Speaker 3: There's no alcohol allowed, right, that's the whole the family sections. No alcohol allowed, And you're definitely gonna get the look. Have you start swearing at the other team because there's gotta be kids around there? The whole idea family section?
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: The rest of the stadium is not strictly no kids, but it's definitely discouraged because you've been encouraged to go to the family section.
Speaker 2: So why not have your hotel be family only bookings?
Speaker 3: My wife and I had a short term rental and we promoted the heck out of the fact that it was five bedrooms. Bring all the family, bring the kids. We were pet friendly. We wanted everyone there because we wanted our booking to appeal to the broadest audience.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 3: So if you have a place, if you're a Disney resort, you're promoting that you want kids there.
Speaker 2: Fight out.
Speaker 3: So why wouldn't we allow for the market to dictate that if a company's avenue is we want no kids, we want adults only.
Speaker 2: What's the issue. Well, that's not fair.
Speaker 3: Little Johnny wants to be able to pee in everyone's pool. I'm not for it. Not for it. I think this is a great opportunity for the market to sort things out. I'm Chris merrill In for Bill Handle Today k I Am six forty relive everywhere in the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 4: Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.