Speaker 1: Day twenty three of the Twilight Zone podcast Advent Calendar, and our friend Emma comes back and she says, Twilight Zone episodes are set in various eras. Pick your favorite episode set in the past, nineteen sixties, present, and in the future, and explain why. So we're just going to stick to the past on this one for the moment. But yeah, Zach, you want to go first on this one. What's your what's your favorite historical Twilight Zone.
Speaker 2: So by said in the past, we mean it's a period piece. There's no time travel, right, It's just this is where we are before nineteen sixties time. Right. That was my understanding. That's how I interpreted it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I've already broken one of those rules.
Speaker 2: So good. Well, I'll stay true of the rules. I gotta be honest. The ones in the past are probably my least favorite episodes. It's like I'm on the list of my I'm like on the hierarchy of what are my least favorite twise one episodes, comedy episodes are number one episode said in the pastor number two, you know, because it was kind of hard to just the ones that are just entirely in the past, right, because there are some great time travel ones, but going through it, I'm gonna go with the grave, uh, with Lee Marvin and an Old West and uh, there's a lot of talk about, you know, a ghost. If you go to this grave, guy's gonna pull you into it. And it's one of those ambiguous endings which are so rare, but I like so much on the show right where he's like he dies of the grave, but it's like, oh, well, the wind blew and he stabbed it and he got stuck and that it's like, okay, Like if you're a skeptic, you could believe that, or you could believe, like, you know, a ghost pulled him into the into the grave. So you know, Lee Marvin, you know, just famous actor and a pretty solid kind of you know, spooky. But because so many times when they go to the Old West, it's like some goofy comedy thing and I have no interest in that. I mean that they're not all bad or anything, but to me, scrolling through like one set in the past, this is the one that stuck out to me is like, you know what, I would like to rewatch that one. So that's why that's my favorite episode. Said in the past.
Speaker 1: That's a good choice, man, and probably one of those Twilight Zones that slips through the cracks a little bit, don't you think. You know it's it's rarely the the top of Twilight Zone conversations. But it's a very serviceable episode. And you know, you've got Lee Marvin at the center of it, who's great. So that's a good choice. Absolutely.
Speaker 2: Oh thanks, Yeah, and so check under g for ghosts in the Twilight Zone. As Rod says, this is the last line that's I always love it when he like pulls out this dictionary thing, like what it's just a silly It makes you so all every time because it's so just old school and and simple but effective.
Speaker 1: But yeah, thanks, Okay, so my cheating answer is back there, which is the one when Peter Corrigan goes back in time in the Potomac Club, and there's a couple of reasons for it. It's got one of the best ever sailing in the scenes. Absolutely, yeah, sat in the club. I think he's reading the newspaper maybe as well, from what I remember. It's been a few years since I watched it, but like all the main characters are kind of sitting at a table and then it just sort of drifts over to sailing. I think I might be remembering that wrong. But in a world of whippands, that is like, yeah, you know, that is like the best thing ever. Also, it's just, you know, I kind of love stories where it's like you mentioned one on one of the previous days. Let's see what happens if we go back and try and kill Hitler. You know this, It's like I'm going to try and save Abraham Lincoln, you know, And I think, is it is it Russell? I forget his last name now.
Speaker 2: It's the professor from Gilligan's Island.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he is so big in it. His performance is absolutely.
Speaker 2: Huge Shatner esque levels of acting.
Speaker 1: But I just love it. I just love it. It's like Hokey is all hell, But I just love those kind of stories. I feel like I might to cheat of the bear.
Speaker 2: I think you did, but I will. I will say. You know, that episode has a special place now, I think because I remember when you when you read that story on the Patreon and then and then you kind of transitioned it into the after Ovars Club, like in the lore of the Twilight Zone podcast. Everybody, this is important because it became the after hours club. So that was a fun, fun bit of creativity there that that you put in there that we all appreciate his listeners. But yeah, that's that's a solid one. I mean, the mechanism for time travel is he just thinks really hard about it. I guess that's how he gets there. But that's fine. But no, you're you're right, that's that's a that's a solid choice, even though I think it is kind of cheating.