Speaker 1: All the time that I was alone, I thought, I thought I would do if only I did. And then I saw the Rubbit.
Speaker 2: Two thousand plus science fiction Adventures in the World of Tomorrow the years beyond the two thousand Lady two thousand plus presents a Robert Killer. So you are, mister Samuel Donaldson. Yes, sir, Happy Sam, they called me.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: I know I have friends who think your television program is very funny.
Speaker 3: I do not.
Speaker 2: It's a living Professors, Drager. Now, may I see the mechanical man I'm giving away as the Jackpot prize on my show next week. It is not a mechanical man, mister Donaldson. The correct word is Rubert Robot. I know I'm no Rod, but it is a supreme achievement of electronic division, worked on us for six years to do whatever it is instructor to do. I simply do not understand how the management of this corporation can think of giving it away to this public, this magnificent mechanism. Oh look, Professor, this corporation sponsors my TV show. We're on one two hundred and forty six stations. We're telecast in three dimensional color, and the Happy Sam Show is the number two favorite in the country. The sponsor thinks it would be a good advertising gimmick to offer a super jackpot prize, a mechanical man, a robot, and I never argue with a sponsor. Now, please, may I see what I've come to see? Oh, young man, I have no choice.
Speaker 4: Come a look, there is an experimental over twenty three.
Speaker 2: Rare there he's really something. Professor six feet tall, shiny metal, flexible fingers say, how does he work?
Speaker 5: Very simply?
Speaker 2: His electronic controls respond to ultra high frequency ways which emanate from this microphone box.
Speaker 3: Speak into the microphone, or Robert.
Speaker 2: Will do whatever you order, into anything virtually. Robert twenty three has an electronic brain. Drive yourself in, okay, saying sweet ada line. Really, mister Donaldson, what a ridiculous request. Do you think the best scientific brains in the country work for six years?
Speaker 3: Or rubb.
Speaker 6: The heavens with.
Speaker 5: My it?
Speaker 7: Really tried to sing.
Speaker 2: Hey, he's very clever, professorre Hey, he wants this pick up that boom in the corner and sweep the floor. Oh boy, the housewives who watch my program will love this.
Speaker 6: What I'll be done?
Speaker 2: Look at there he's doting it he's doning it. Okay, okay, stop sweeping.
Speaker 3: What a gadget? What a giveaway?
Speaker 2: Now I see something for the kiddies, and I, hey, hey, what is that?
Speaker 3: Matt?
Speaker 2: Kitten is the pet of doctor Brederick of the Physics Laboratory. And I assure you you cannot give that away.
Speaker 6: I don't wanna give the kitten away.
Speaker 2: I just want a little heart throb on the show.
Speaker 3: For the youngsters.
Speaker 2: Here, kitty, come on kidding me, come kiddy now, not kiddie, now down a.
Speaker 3: Four years old? Now down a floor.
Speaker 2: Run go ahead, and we'll show how Jackal and Friendly our jackpot prize robuddies with pat give me the Mike Donaldson.
Speaker 3: What are you going to do?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: Okay, roll but twenty three go over to the kitten, pick it up and pat the kiddy. Nice kiddy, look at that?
Speaker 1: Isn't that sweet?
Speaker 3: Oh boy?
Speaker 2: What a camera shot on the air.
Speaker 3: Hey hey, hey, what's he doing? Over? Twenty three? Drop the kitten? Dropped the kitten?
Speaker 6: Uh it?
Speaker 4: And oh poor Tabby.
Speaker 6: Why he he?
Speaker 2: He killed the kitten brook its neck.
Speaker 3: He tried to pet it and he killed it.
Speaker 2: As you see what comes when when fools play with science.
Speaker 3: No good will come of giving this throw but away to the public. I warn you no good will come of it. Hello, ladies and gentlemen. Hello, this is Happy Sam.
Speaker 2: I'm the happy man, welcoming you to another half hour of mirth and melody. Why how about a fanfare? Hag it very much, Bang you very much.
Speaker 3: Now you know that every.
Speaker 2: Week for the past four weeks, our grand super jackpot has.
Speaker 3: Been growing and growing.
Speaker 2: At this moment, these are the sensational.
Speaker 3: Prizes in that jackpot.
Speaker 2: A free rocket plane trip for two to the Parrot flying in the new one hundred fifty passenger luxury rocket cruiser at sixty thousand feet only three hours and ten minutes from New York to Paris. A Caddy atomic powered sports roaster the automobile.
Speaker 3: It never needs gas or oil.
Speaker 2: It runs almost forever.
Speaker 1: A Cryalon Man.
Speaker 3: Suits tailor to your measure.
Speaker 2: Crylon is the wonder fabric guarantee to last one hundred years, and with this suit a special set of fourteen different Cryalon chemical colors. Dip that suit in the color you prefer wear it's then change the color with another Wrens.
Speaker 3: The suit is always pressed, always perfect.
Speaker 2: Fourteen suitsan one a complete wardrobe.
Speaker 3: On your back.
Speaker 2: And the one thing money cannot buy more money. Yes, ten thousand dollars case. Now those are our jackpot prizes, and now tonight we add one more prize, a prize so fantastic and wonderful, nothing like it has ever been offered to a lucky wonder before. This prize is a supreme achievement of modern science. It is an entire revenue of servants in one amazing machine. It is a slave to your every command and him it is Michael the Mechanical Man. Thank you all much, thank you, thank you. And now now to determine who wins this giant jackpot, and who wins this mechanical novel. Michael the Mechanical Man, a thousand slaves and one amazing machine. Now, as you know, ladies and gentlemen, eat send every one of you. Millions of people watching this program. Your business screens are receiving this program by a microwave, and now our computators are in action. They are channeling every microwave reception on this program.
Speaker 3: When the spinner disc stops.
Speaker 2: If your television set is on, if you're the lucky person, you when the jackpot wait now wait, the computator has finished. The engineer signals that the spinner disc is throwing down, and we have a winner. Tonight we picked up a set who had us tuned in. Our pretty model is walking across the stage with a name. Thank you, honey, and now here it is the name you've all been waiting to hear. Or two three North glen Cole Boulevard in Martin Hills, New York, Apartment five B. Mister John Hannold, Mister John Hannold.
Speaker 5: She's down, mister Hanold.
Speaker 2: My breakticed medical eye, judging from the smile on your face, tells me that you're pretty happy that missus Hanold is being released from.
Speaker 5: The hospital today.
Speaker 2: Oh not only that, doctor, don't tell me. I haven't heard of my other good piece of luck and I want on her husband calling me for hours before I left for the hospital, and not a good piece of luck.
Speaker 3: No, I haven't heard why.
Speaker 2: I went on fabulous prizes on the giveaway show, including ten thousand dollars That means you bill is going to be paid. But I also got a trip to Paris the mechanical man and what knows, well, that's wonderful.
Speaker 3: I congratulate you. However, I think I will forget that.
Speaker 2: Trip to Paris for a while. In fact, wait a few hours before telling Missus Hanold about your good fortune.
Speaker 3: But why don't you, mister Hanold?
Speaker 2: After your wife's illness, she suffered her a nervous breakdown. She became mentally unstable. But she's pretty good now thanks to what the hospital has done. However, when you take her home, she must finish his returning to her normal life and winning ten thousand dollars prizes.
Speaker 3: Isn't time normal?
Speaker 6: I see?
Speaker 2: The main thing we wonder avoid is a relapse. You have a few neighbors who can drop in and see how now I'm then, Well, there's missus Bardon Virginia Barton. She lives in the apartment next to us on our floor. As yes, your wife mentioned the occasionally do they get along one? I think so?
Speaker 3: Why nothing?
Speaker 5: I just wondered, Well, Missus Hannrold's waiting for you.
Speaker 1: I know you're very anxious to get her home.
Speaker 2: Nourse, have Missus Harold come in please? I think in another month or so she'll be fine. Oh, yes she is now. Hello, Missus Hamiel married darling.
Speaker 7: Am I glad to see you?
Speaker 1: Hello John, Hello doctor?
Speaker 5: What did I tell you? Doesn't she look fine?
Speaker 3: How?
Speaker 6: I say, certainly does?
Speaker 3: John?
Speaker 1: How good it is to be going home. I'm as excited as the school goes.
Speaker 3: I don't get too excited.
Speaker 2: You gotta take it easy for a while.
Speaker 1: Is that's what the doctors did?
Speaker 2: He's such a worries You do what your house and says missus hanelds be fine, say, doctor's artist.
Speaker 1: That's common. Thank you doctor, You've been very kind.
Speaker 2: I'll drop in from time to time to see you.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 4: Goodbye, missus Harold, good bye doctor.
Speaker 6: All right here, let's go.
Speaker 2: Let's you call O time?
Speaker 3: John.
Speaker 1: I can hardly believe.
Speaker 3: Well the doctor drew me to wait until they got home before telling.
Speaker 1: You ten thousand dollars and the trips.
Speaker 2: Of Paris think of it? Do? I hope we can take it in the summer during my vacation and the.
Speaker 1: Mechanical place, John, where will we put it?
Speaker 2: No? Wait, honey, you're not supposed to get excited.
Speaker 6: Oh boy, who can help us?
Speaker 1: It's crazy things they give away.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'll see who it is?
Speaker 1: Hello John?
Speaker 6: Oh, hello Virginia.
Speaker 2: Who Why it's uh uh it's Virginia.
Speaker 1: Nay, I just had to come and tell you how wonderful it is your being back and all those wonderful parties. It was very nice of you to come in Virginia and thank you for the supper you've prepared for my homecoming. Now we've delighted to Darling when John asks the son asks you two, well, yes, he was so happy you were coming back. But y'all know thet Mary's being home cost for a celebration. Can't we have a drink?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 2: I don't know, Virginia, Marriy's supposed to get rest, say, oh, why I supposed one sip?
Speaker 6: One hurt?
Speaker 2: But I could go out and get something though. I I'll bet that.
Speaker 1: Jennaling, when you get your prizes, I'll have cause.
Speaker 2: To be jealous of him.
Speaker 3: Cigarette.
Speaker 1: No thanks jealous? Why well, you'll have two men, John and the rovers. Poor little me, a bachelor gual all alone.
Speaker 3: And you know I really think.
Speaker 1: You ought to give me one of the hoops one would you like to Darling with a silly question the mechanical man, of course he doesn't drop ashes all the rods here and wash the dishes and put out the cat. You'll never I never ride in to me, I knew the serious. What did you expect me to be? I don't understand that I do. In the hospital, I began to understand a lot of things. I know the doctors thought something happened to my mind.
Speaker 5: But all that.
Speaker 1: Happened was that it became very clear, very sharp.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: And for the first time I began to think clear, Darling, I I think there's excitement's been too much for you. I shouldn't have come in because I was here? Is that why you shouldn't have come in? You're wrong, Marry. Everything you're thinking is wrong. John would come to the hospital only once a.
Speaker 3: Day, but he would work.
Speaker 1: Some days he wouldn't come at all. And you know he has to go out of town on business one.
Speaker 6: You all, I know many things.
Speaker 1: I would lie in my hospital bed and the shadows would whisper to me it was Dad, it is John. Now while you lie in an anti septic bed in the hospital room that is as cold as a surgeon's nice, catting.
Speaker 6: Your memories to tea.
Speaker 3: You fright me.
Speaker 1: St' go John will be back in a moment. I I have a headache.
Speaker 3: I got to go.
Speaker 1: What well John said? And you are not here. You you were a darling.
Speaker 7: You pull a sick mom.
Speaker 1: You know, a stalk out. I'll leave virgin, lead me alone. But I'm not alone as I was in the hospital.
Speaker 2: I'm home.
Speaker 1: I'm my home, and I'll marry you. Name enus to kill you, if if only I could think of all to do it?
Speaker 3: And I wrote, what quite a guy, isn't it?
Speaker 1: He looks something like the tin woodman of our But I used to read about how i'd write.
Speaker 2: You know, but they can do any of the things they said on that program. Oh my guess is there to sell him for Junker?
Speaker 6: Give him away to some kids. Now let's see the direction said turn.
Speaker 2: On the racket switch for power and then just talking to the microphone. Use simple phrases and precise instructions. Well, what's I tell him to do?
Speaker 3: He's your boyfriend.
Speaker 1: Tell him tell you to move the green chair about two feet back in the corner.
Speaker 2: Okay, more, green chair back two feet into corner.
Speaker 1: So he's walking.
Speaker 2: That's the dardest thing I ever saw. Well he did it, and he's gonna be all right.
Speaker 1: Does he have a name?
Speaker 3: A name?
Speaker 6: I hope he's chilling.
Speaker 7: He must have a name.
Speaker 1: He's almost like a person.
Speaker 2: Ask you what does he talk to?
Speaker 6: What is your name? Your name?
Speaker 2: Do you have a name. Let's see he can't talk to.
Speaker 1: Ask him a question, tell him to tell you do it the.
Speaker 6: Direction to tell me your name?
Speaker 3: Ay?
Speaker 1: And then uh road about one the the road about twenty three.
Speaker 2: And it gives me the creeps. Oh, it's wonder well what I do? You can't stand there staring at us. There's nothing for him to do around here.
Speaker 1: The poker, that steal poker in the fireplace, and what about it? He looks dongue. Tell him, tell him to bend it.
Speaker 2: Bend it, Mary, that's solid steel. He's just a tim toilet with electronic or please John, tell him what's honey. He'll probably get a short circuit or something straining himself.
Speaker 3: Then we will up to junk him.
Speaker 2: Oh alright, alright, bend poker there, bend steal poker. I see, just pick it up, but nothing's happening.
Speaker 6: Banded band it? You see I took good lord?
Speaker 1: Will you then being a steal as if it were happy?
Speaker 6: And did you see that?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 2: It's almost as it way as if he threw it down. Disdaining of showing off.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you tell him off?
Speaker 2: He's dangerous, Mary, dangerous and frightening. I'm gonna dismain now. No, wait, don't get so excited about it.
Speaker 6: You know what the doctor said.
Speaker 1: Don't take manderling John le.
Speaker 2: Alright, alright, alright, alright, you insist. Remember Mary, you're not to give him any orders except when I'm home.
Speaker 1: Darling. I wouldn't do anything that wouldn't be right for me. Two o'clock, almost four hours until John comes home.
Speaker 8: Lock the door.
Speaker 1: And now to make him come to life again.
Speaker 5: M speak to me, Say.
Speaker 1: To me, hello Mary, Oh uh Mary, Hello Rod the twenty three. How nice of you to visit me every day?
Speaker 7: You visit me.
Speaker 1: Why do you do that? Tell me because I love you, Because I love you, because you love me. Oh God the twenty three. How handsome and strong you are, and you are mine?
Speaker 2: You do what I want you to do.
Speaker 1: You are my slaves. Say to me, I am your slave. I am your slave that pays that days that Virginia gave me last year. There the blue one destroy that days. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Row the twenty three.
Speaker 2: Very much.
Speaker 1: Of all the things in the world I have, you are the most wonderful because you love me and don't pay me, and would do anything for me anything.
Speaker 4: The door.
Speaker 1: Someone mar that County John's much too early for Johns. I'll see who it is, and you will wait for me, wait as you always do. Hugh, Hello, Mary, I'm sorry to distob you.
Speaker 5: What you want?
Speaker 1: The package was delivered to my door.
Speaker 2: Something you probably ordered my phone.
Speaker 1: It's mark five D, but your name's on it should have said five D. Yes, yes, from the grocery. Oh is that the mechanical man I'm standing in the living room side is rowed with twenty three?
Speaker 3: Does it really work?
Speaker 1: He's alfully big and comesy looking. He's come to visit me. He's mine. He doesn't love you, doesn't love.
Speaker 7: Of course, not marry of course not.
Speaker 1: I say it will disturb you. If anything I can do for you? No, no, nothing, go away. You saw her, didn't you? Say?
Speaker 3: Yes? I saw her?
Speaker 6: Yes, I saw her.
Speaker 1: She's the one the one I hate and John John is the one I love and you you love me?
Speaker 2: Say I love you, I love you.
Speaker 1: You must destroy her the way we destroyed the babe. Now that you've seen her, you know my secret, and you will kill her. For me, because you are my slaves. Say I will kill her.
Speaker 3: I will.
Speaker 2: Her. Hello, John, this is Virginia. Oh Virginia, it is a pleasant surprise.
Speaker 7: Why are you calling me?
Speaker 1: It's about Mary?
Speaker 3: Mary?
Speaker 2: Why something happened?
Speaker 3: What is it?
Speaker 9: I rang your doorbell a few minutes ago. One of Mary's packages had been delivered to me by mistake.
Speaker 2: She came to the door.
Speaker 1: Yes, she acted very strangely, particularly when I asked about the mechanical man, the robin.
Speaker 6: Well, what do you mean, Virginia, strangely?
Speaker 1: Oh, she wouldn't let me come in and look at him.
Speaker 3: She said he he didn't love me.
Speaker 9: Why she was in a strange well, a strange mental state.
Speaker 4: Johnn Are you sure she's all right?
Speaker 6: Virginia? Listen, the robot wasn't moving or or doing anything?
Speaker 3: Was it?
Speaker 2: Not that I could notice? But Mary's attitude and her aunt remards I knew I shouldn't have accepted that ten monster. Well, I'll get home as soon as I can.
Speaker 7: Virginia, thanks for calling, you know, but doctor rodn't glad.
Speaker 6: This is John Hanold.
Speaker 2: Oh, yes, miss a neighbor just called me. Mary's acting strangely. I'm worried.
Speaker 9: I don't understand, Stanald.
Speaker 2: We won some prizes on a TV show a few days ago, and one of them was a mechanical man, a robot. Oh, yes, you told me about him, Robert, my opinion is a dangerous gadget. Well, anyway, one of the neighbors reported that Mary is talking strangely about it. I wonder if you could meet me at the apartment.
Speaker 6: You know it'll take me about happening hour to get there.
Speaker 9: Mister Hanold, I hope you'll forgive me, but you've got to expect that neighbors, with all the good will in the world, tend to exaggerate the exactions of the people whom they've not have been mentally ill. I'm sure there's nothing to be alarmed about.
Speaker 3: Yes, the doctor.
Speaker 2: This neighbor is a good friend and an intelligent woman.
Speaker 9: I've had a lot of experience in these matters. Mister Yeah, I have a to ease your mind. I'll try to drop over sometime this evening on in the morning, but I have a talk about it. I'm in the meeting now.
Speaker 2: Well, all right, doctor, if you say so, thanks very much.
Speaker 7: Hello, or Virginia.
Speaker 3: It is a John, Yes, John, I.
Speaker 2: Just spoke to the doctor. He thinks there's nothing to worry about.
Speaker 6: But well, I wonder if you do.
Speaker 3: Me a great favorite, of course, John, what is it.
Speaker 2: I've got a few things here to clean up at the desk, so I can't get home right away. I wonder if you go in and stay with Mary until I get there.
Speaker 3: But John, I frankly on the little fright.
Speaker 2: That's silly, Virginia.
Speaker 6: After all, what can happen?
Speaker 2: The door again?
Speaker 1: The door we throw the twenty three, and I'll come back to you say, I will wait for you a way a way. Well, thank you, thank you, darling. No, I wonder if I could visit with you for a while. Why Why do you want to visit with me? Why, Darnie, I'm your neighbor, and I thought it would be very nice if we had teas. Don't you want me to come in?
Speaker 2: Mary?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I do want you to come in. Just come in and meet wrote me twenty three. Really he knew since I saw him that he was standing by the fireplace when I was at the door to door, and always by the sofa. Don't let love me bath, I care you and Johnny broken.
Speaker 7: Broken in union.
Speaker 1: I had him do it he did it, he did it?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: You and George lives and Georgia seat Mary? What are you doing?
Speaker 2: Why are you picking up that microphone?
Speaker 1: Rubber twenty three loves me as I love John, and you won't destroy my love.
Speaker 2: You won't roll But twenty three don't You don't care?
Speaker 1: Mary?
Speaker 8: Marry no, no, wh can you please please stop crying?
Speaker 3: What happens? What happens? Mary?
Speaker 2: Excuse me, mister lord, but I think I can tell you what happened At a trigger one of the men who built that robot I gave your apartment, hopingly persuade you to return the robot with a dreadful commotion inside, called it Patoma in the corner, and we forced away again. The robot was more controlled this young lady here.
Speaker 1: I tried to get away.
Speaker 2: Whenever I read it, I shut off the control dogs and stopped the robt. May you wanted to kill me?
Speaker 3: John? Kill me? Doctor?
Speaker 5: I've given her sent to mister Hanld.
Speaker 2: I'll take her back to the hospital in a few hours. All of this excitement, however, I'm sure she'll be all right in another month. Ago would she try to kill me?
Speaker 1: She try to kill me for some.
Speaker 3: Reason, she was showless of you.
Speaker 2: But now that we know, I'd say, shouldn't we coudn't treat it psygathrically?
Speaker 7: I shall be all right, doctor.
Speaker 6: She won't try to kill again. And I think what might have happened to Virginia.
Speaker 2: Mister Hanlld.
Speaker 3: Nothing would have happened.
Speaker 2: You see, your wife told the robot to kill, but that was an instruction the robot could carry out. What do you mean, profect, you said yourself. The robot was going toward Virginia as of course, because your wife said go to her. A simple physical action the robot is capable of performing due to its directional mechanism. However, the command killed is not sufficiently explicit. The robot cannot kill in general, must have step by step instructions as to how the command is to be carried out. You see, mister hamild I might put it this way. To strike out blindly, to kill without thinking requires an emotional drive, the capacity to hate, and that the robot cannot do. It is, after all, a machine, not a human being,