Speaker 1: Donna no, no, no, Hello, and welcome to the Predator Retrospective. I am if it leads tras now and I'm joined by.
Speaker 2: The Commando Kirklan Patzer.
Speaker 3: It ain't got time to bleed Taylor Field.
Speaker 1: So, Kirkland, did you pick that name on purpose? Because it's a double on Tandra?
Speaker 2: No, I didn't know that. What's the double on Tandra?
Speaker 1: Arnold Schuszenegger is in a movie called Commando.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't know that. Yeah, yeah, maybe an Arnold the retro.
Speaker 1: Oh one day. As we've said, when we get through all the big franchises, we're doing actors and directors, but it's a long ways away. But uh yeah, we this is a one we just added to the roster. We had not planned on the schedule. But Pray is coming out. It's coming out August fifth. Of course we're gonna be reviewing that because that's you know, Taylor was gonna do that review no matter what. But we're gonna tag along because you think you'll learn this retro that me and Kirkland we're big time Prayer fans. Just that maybe the past few years we've gone some iffy content, but we get to start with the movie that started all but Taylor, We're gonna have this going on. We're gonna have lots of other retros, tons of content happening. I'm saying that because I don't know exactly when this starts, because right now the patrons are getting this early the day it records. But Patreon, you can get stuff early, you get ad free exclusive, you can support us. That means more content, more retrospective, all that stuff. Where can they find it? When we're putting out this product.
Speaker 3: Ladies, don't make conmind us with your interconnection in the search bar. Geek Verse that say is our own based keik first Cast is our Twitter and geek verse on our Facebook.
Speaker 1: Boom, there we go. We're not gonna do the usual thing. It's the Predator came out in the eighties. If you've not seen it and you feel like you're gonna get spoiled, that's on you. You've had plenty of time to watch. That's how it works for retrospectives. It's a free talk. You're tuning in thinking that, Okay, I've seen this movie or maybe I want to just I don't care. I just want to hear people's thoughts. So Krook pats Are. I'm gonna start with you, aust is what we do in retrospectives. Do you remember the first time that you saw The Predator? And obviously what do you think about it now after this watch?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this is definitely one that we had on VHS back the day, and I I.
Speaker 2: Felt like I remember this movie differently.
Speaker 4: Like there's definitely scenes that I do remember, like some iconic moments, but a lot of this movie I just don't remember, like at all. So I definitely like haven't revisited since I've been an adult.
Speaker 1: It was the last time you watch not the first time, any think, is the last time you watched this?
Speaker 4: Like honestly, I was probably like ten years old like around there, Like it was a long time ago, and like I was remembering this as like another movie. I don't know if it was Predator too, or like even some alien versus Predator stuff, because like I remember particular Predator moments that I just was not in this movie. It's just like, Okay, I'm totally misremembering some of these things. Obviously I remember like the big quotable lines, but yeah, there was a lot of like character stuff that just felt completely new to me. So this movie actually felt like very fresh. You know, it's a nice sense on Disney plus but made very easy. I have like the HD version two, you know, for an eighties movie like this looked. This looked really really good.
Speaker 1: I gotta give it to like, ay, like, because we watched recently the Stars movies, lots of the eighty movies that Disney has converted over. They look really smooth and really good. Whether that's Disney or whoever company is doing it, they look really nice. So yeah, I appreciate thank you for buying Fox and making this retrospective quite easy, you know, so.
Speaker 2: Exactly giving a Deadpool and Marvel you know sometimes.
Speaker 1: In Predator of five too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure he's gonna show up and pray.
Speaker 1: Uh hey, guys just ruins.
Speaker 4: So yeah, like, like I honestly like, like I remember the main hitting points of this movie, but for the most part, like it was pretty fresh, Like like a lot of stuff was as if I was seeing it for the first time, just because it's been so long since I've watched this, And I must say, like I thoroughly enjoyed this movie. Like I was, I was so in it and like I just kept smiling on like scenes and like maybe there'd be some like classic eighties cheesy moments, but like I was just eating it up, like it was really working for me.
Speaker 2: I felt like maybe.
Speaker 4: There's some moments that were a little bit cheesy, uh that maybe I could It's like, oh.
Speaker 1: What are we being here but eighties?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah? Exactly a couple of words dropped. You're like, oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, absolutely, Like there's definitely some joke. It's just like, especially the first ten minutes just hearing, like a line's like.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is like the worst Xbox Live chat right now, You're like, oh God, get us out of hearing.
Speaker 4: But like, I just love how I feel like also like a lot of like cheesy moments that might be pulled from this movie, like started from this movie. So like when people make fun of like some class like you know, commando type dude, it's like I feel like they're they're pulling it from this movie.
Speaker 2: So I feel like it just it paved the way for a lot of those.
Speaker 1: Tropic thunder yeah oh yeah, the whole scene where he accidentally murders the pig or whatever in this movie, that's exactly what he does with the pand entropic thunder like it's it's you're completely right, Like it's one of those quintessential movies that people saw and was like whether they're they're kind of tributing it or pairing it, it's it's definitely one of those touchstones for people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I think like just like the minimal use of the Predator for most of this movie, like it just.
Speaker 2: Works so well.
Speaker 4: It was so phenomenal like on it like I have my notes of the movie and I literally just wrote down things that I had issues with and it's like four things, like like I think I been tell halfway through this movie it was a ten out of ten, Like it was.
Speaker 2: It was so perfect. I was so in it, like like the just.
Speaker 4: With how they were in the jungle and like it just it really really fit, Like it felt very isolated, and I man like that this is just such a special movie and I'm kind of ashamed I didn't revisit like until now, honestly, Like it's nice for doing the retro. It kind of forced me to do it and just really appreciate the quality of this. And yeah, I think that was my biggest takeaway from this is just how impressed. I was that like like the the aging of this movie, like like it's still so enjoyable. It's not like, oh my god, this is so dated, like very eighties like hard to watch. Like no, I was so in it. Arnold is just fantastic. He is just like in his peak, I'd say, in this oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and these are the peak years, like right around here, and then probably the nineteen ninety two a Terminator or two, like he did some other bangers like True Lives, but like, yeah, these like eighties years of Predator, Terminator Teach, Oh yeah, all this stuff like glass Action here, which man the grace me. But still there there's a quite a few just bangers he was doing and he was delivering big time. Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: And like man, Carl Weathers, Like then that montage with him like ripping his shirt off, I'm like, holy ship, Carl, like Jesus his abs and he was so jacked, like there's just so.
Speaker 1: Much great to be to be champion right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was very very surprised and impressed in those in those scenes.
Speaker 3: But that one scene where they're hoisting the log up and they're all just listening in the sun like they're just shredded.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, so you're gonna help out or you're just gonna, you know, complain. He's like, okay, rips your shirt off, just like I'm watching Top Gun, just like they're all sweaty and uh muscley men.
Speaker 2: But it was, it was fantastic. I really really love this movie. I'll pass along there and we can dive into some nitty gritties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess I should say what we're retroing is predator preyor to predators, and then I think that's yeah, that's it. At some point we'll do Alien, and then after we do Alien, we'll do the a vps because I so want to watch because I so want to watch those, especially because kirklans like, I'm pretty sure that first one's at least good. It's like, oh man, but honestly, I have not actually seen them in a long time, so I'd love to give them a chance because even then, at the end of day, if the story is not the great, so well, it's Alien versus predder, right, that's what you're there for.
Speaker 3: But I gotta I got a good story about the supposed third one of the A v P movies. So when we get to that retro. Remind me to tell that story? Well maybe maybe, Yeah, it involves the directors.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I try not to forget that five years later when we do you know, I'll make maybe when they announced a VP three for real. So actually, Taylor, feel you go because I got I'm confident a store here? So where What was the first time sat Predator? And what do you think about now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Preda was my first indoctrination into this franchise. It wasn't Alien, was anything like that. It was starting off the Breder my dad that actually got me on board with it, and I could tell it was definitely a fathersomee where the father was like super excited to share this kind of like the same with my day.
Speaker 2: I completely agree with that. Yeah, my dad, I fucking love this movie.
Speaker 4: From the twinkle in their eye little ten year old you know, like the beame of like little Kiani stage, That's how I felt.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: So getting into Predator, it's just it's it's so it's so special, has that sentimentality to it, but it's it's such a unique film and it doesn't need to be anything more than what it is. It's just they use the scenes and what they have very very well, and it just has a very good trajectory to it. And I can't imagine anyone else has an Honld Schwarzenegger and that lead role squaring off against the Predator. But yeah, I would have been. I probably would have been like Tennis or so. And how it worked for me was okay, Like I got through Predator and then I did Predator too and worked my way up, and I was just I knew what aliens were. I knew aliens were involved with Predator, but I knew I wasn't ready for aliens because of the gest dating thing and I being young and knowing that's the thing.
Speaker 1: It's just really gross.
Speaker 3: And finally like I'm manned up and I did the whole alien train, but Predator was where.
Speaker 2: Babies come from.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Predator was my first like yeah, initiation into this this realm. And I think, as far as like aliens go, one of the first kind of like alien things. It was up there with Starship Troopers for like early on like understanding the whole alien thing. But uh, sorry that someone else is gonna jump on there.
Speaker 1: I didn't feel like you're finishing your thoughts. You're just talking about Starship Troopers randomly and then you saw talking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everything that's stemmed from Predator, though, I've just I've eaten up and fallen in love with. Like, it's just it's such a unique thing, and you're right, it's it's basically been a core for many movies to not necessarily parody off of, but just rip off of in terms of certain cinematic moments. And I think just when you get that opening sequence of just the ship flying above Earth and this little thing flying towards the planet and you you don't really know what you're in store for, and I think that's a great use of cinematography too, and storytelling. How just this whole time you really don't know what you're up against. And yes, it is invisible, and you could be like, oh, maybe that's like a cop out, but not at all. It's just the way that they play it out, just this mysterious hunter. And yeah, it's just it proved to be such a simple thing that is just such an iconic historical thing at the same time that's spun so many sequels and everything like that. And I mean, I've got Predator action figures in my my office here, Like I'm advid gamer of the Predator franchise and titles and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we've talked about Predator before.
Speaker 2: And the we absolutely have.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So for me, I think the very first time I honestly saw it was probably like on the Sci Fi Channel. Definitely, I feel like edited because it's one of those you're watching like, oh, this isn't how it's supposed to be. And I don't know when exactly I had watched it for the first but I just like I was in that zone of I've always said, like from like two thousand and five, two thousand and six and when I was like, Okay, I gotta start watching all these movies now, and just like I think I just like watched a bunch of them together and same thing with Aliens, just kind of did them all. And the last time I saw this movies was quite a few years ago. It was actually I don't know why, because like, yes, boys, like I love this movie. It's great. Maybe's just because it's you kind of not know it off beat by beat, but it's a pretty simplistic movie. And I don't know if you could watch it again and again because not too much happens, but like what happens is great, So I think it's almost nice to have that little break and almost you forget about the little specificness of it. And then when you watch, like, oh, write this scene and this scene, this is how Billy goes and stuff like that, like all these moments, and I think the last time I watched it was funny. I was at Emily's when she used to live with her best friend, the roommate, and I remember Emily went to work. I used to have Mondays off and she worked Mondays and she's like, yeah, you can have the house alone and everything like that, just hang out and stuff until I get back. I'm like, okay, And the roommate wasn't there. This is not to do with the story, was tune obi wan, But I hear I am just watching Predator and not butt ass naked, but I'm just on the couch. She got my shirt off and she comes in and just like Predator, huh yeah, and then she went in to her man. It was just awkward because like I knew her well enough, but it was still like I'm just sitting in her living room shirt off, watching Predda at her and like, I'm sure it's a card yeah, yeah, I'm sure at some point.
Speaker 3: Where they're the characters are glistling and the sun just bo He's ripped.
Speaker 1: And she probably closed her door and is like man and hopefully it doesn't last long with that guy, and lo and behold here I am. But yeah, so shouts out to Curtly. But yeah, three kids later. But yeah, that was the last time I remember. But yeah, this is just it's such a great simplistic movie. It is these men get sent on a mission in the jungle and things are not what they appear. It's it's not exactly like this, but it's the same way simplistic, like Jaws is. You know, you have these characters, this is a shark. It's them versus you know, an active nature in a sense as far as like an animal, right, same thing. This is obviously different than active nature because it's from you know, a sci fi whatever world. But what I like about is the pacing where it's just for a while, an army movie. It's just these guys on a mission. Even then there's some dramatic stuff going on there as far as you know, deal lying to them and stuff. So even that stuff is interesting, Like okay, you got some jacked up dudes do some violent stuff and they don't think they should actually be here, Like even Dutch says like, this is not what we do. So there's some good tension there and then a fucking alien just drops in and I think, like, it's not a cop about him being you know, cloaking and invisible. It's definitely a budgetary thing, and that's a smart thing. It's the same way why compare to The Jaws is the Shark was supposed to be all around that movie. This Shark, I think it was like week two or three, like broke down and they had to rework that movie so you could barely see the Shark, right, And I think that works better now. And I think that's almost It's a tough thing because I think this is I won't say this is a perfect movie, but it's a perfect type of this type of genre action movie where you can make sequels and expand the universe. And I know that's what Taylor loves. You see the plants all that stuff, But at the same point, it's always hard to catch, like capture lightning in the bottle. And I like Predators. I think I like Predator two enough. That's the one I've seen the least. I'm excited to watch that again. But they can never match this because this was just such like a great concept. It's like we were just a Jurassic Park right where, no matter what, you're never gonna match that first one because the idea is just so good. These guys top of the elite, you know, squad versus this alien killer, what's gonna happen? And then from that it was always bigger, bigger, Oh the preditors in the citter. Oh, we're at this planet and there's some fun ideas there. But this is just the perfect concept. That's why I did the theme in the beginning. I fucking love the music in this movie. Alen Silvestri, who if you don't know, he did the Avengers theme and you know, porls and all that stuff, like this is how he's started to build his career and just that it's like the Striker's menu where they play that theme over. No no, no, no, no no no. But it's just like it's so fucking good because you just feel like you're banned down the hatches with these guys. Now, that's the thing. This is a complete dude bro movie, not evenly what we talk about the beginning with like dropping like profanities and slurs, but just like the whole vibe of jacked up dudes nose to nose arguing guns. Like the very first Sea when the predator appears and they just light up the force and waste like hundreds of AMMO. You're like, man, this is the most dude bro thing in the world.
Speaker 4: Laughing out loud in that scene, I could not believe that. I'm like, we got in the war zone.
Speaker 1: Just oh, next war zone. Every time we see one person, just light them up. But then we're just left with our pistols and like bone arrows and stuff. But and that's what I love where and it's not your foulkering because you haven't seen well, but that's what I love. Where people have been like, oh, well, how are we gonna do prey Like they're going back in time. But it's like how they how Dutch beats the predators has nothing due technology, it's smart sin, it's the environment. So that's why I'm prey. When they're looking around in those trailers, there's fucking mud everywhere. These people are gonna be wearing might one hundred percent to take down this predator. But like with this that's why I love that he's systematically taking apart of the team one by one. You learn a little bit more details about the predator each time. But what I love is it's kind of that Michael Myers esque like in the beginning of it's just a force of nature coming at you and they give you just enough. Even then, like seeing stuff like his wrist clock and it's showing his different language. You don't have to explain like, oh, he comes from this race and this is why he's hunting. You got the idea of what's happening here. It's simplistic. It's great. Everyone's here to play. Everyone knows what type of movie they're in because they're just like being badasses. And Arnold, Yeah, I'm always like I never ever when peop always talk about Sly versus Arnie, Arnie one hundred percent. I like Sylvester Stolen love. But if you're asking me what action movie, if I was making an action movie and this is the prime and I can only take one one hundred percent of Arnold, and I don't even care. Sylvester stole it might even be a better actor than Arnold. He just he just brings in this era. He just brings something that I don't care. Vin Diesel, the raw, Chris Hensworth, Chris Pratt, like no one can capture what Arnold had in this era of just like that bad aster. But the thing I love about is when he becomes like emotional or caring, you kind of buy in into it right away, like Arnold could switch. He's just a great lead in this, So it's great all around. I don't think it's like a ten out of ten movie, and I don't think it's like in my top fifty movies. But if I were to make a list of the most important movies or like the best action movies of all time, it would be in there. It's one of those classic It's just like every time I watch it, I'm reminded, man, this is a great movie. And uh yeah, so wherever we want to go now, let's go to it. You know, I should say our first sad break, and then we'll start breaking this down big times. We'll be right back and we're back. We're back in the Japa. And think about that. Just even those lines, all these lines, and give the lead to kill it the fucking mem you son of a bitch in the arms. Like this movie has like lived done for generations through memes and like quotes and stuff. So mm hm.
Speaker 4: So I was telling Shane when I was trying to convince her to watch it me, it's just like Shaye, if anybody's seen it for oh.
Speaker 2: Definitely not. No, definitely not.
Speaker 3: And she's just shipping all over it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah, she does that. It's like this is for podcast. Ah, it's gonna be a bad movie, you know. She she's been like just absolutely haunted by those like early Patreon requests of just god that's fair.
Speaker 2: I forced her to watch, but I.
Speaker 1: Had to expend that day night too. I'm like, you know, like the muscle Guy Gift, like it's this movie and stuff like that, and we didn't watch because I don't I think the same thing. She didn't much interest, but she had to go somewhere. But I was like, it's it's this, like I made her watch that, and she's like, oh, yeah, you're right, that's it and everything, and we moved on.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I don't even know where I was leaning with that. I forgot my first point.
Speaker 4: I had a PowerNet before this, so I'm a little waking up still I got some cool meats if you want to beat me up.
Speaker 2: So beat me up, Taylor.
Speaker 3: One of my favorite things is it just comes full circle. Now when you look at the predator Predator, this is like a fun fact. The Predator originally look very different. I'm gonna drop this deed. So if you're hopefully you're watching video here, this is the original preder look.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, So wait, did they shoot this?
Speaker 3: Actually, yeah, they actually did, and then at some point they changed the preader look to what you know, now, yeah, that's the initial look. I'm glad they did too. And they've had like callbacks, Like in Predators, there was like an alien that looks similar to that, but another like a funky thing. They put it a toy line with Predator and this is like the Armory's wearing and it's kind of like tribute to that initial concept that was developed.
Speaker 1: I feel like that toy has to go for a lot, right, because it's one of those cool like.
Speaker 3: Oh, I got it on my shelf too, thirty four dollars.
Speaker 1: Okay, I thought you, oh, I see interesting they did make I thought you were saying that they made a toy back in the day of the original one. No, that a lot that would have sold like hotcakes and stuff. Yeah, no, I heard. I actually I was reading some triviun and I heard that they got rid of that predator because he went to Hawaii and he was throwing some chairs around and they had to reshoot the whole movie and stuff like that. So yeah, no, and actually, you know, oh, that's my bad because we've been so busy. I will try it for Prey or too. I'll have some trivia for Prayer one and Prayer two. I completely forgot just because we've just been cranking out the content. But that that I definitely better look. And I think like the with that look the original one, was he supposed to take off a helmet too and reveal some or was that just his final.
Speaker 3: No, I think that's actually his full form, like just an alien species or whatever.
Speaker 1: And I think that's the best thing because the movie we talked about like how it slowly reveals the mystery, but how it slowly reveals the prayer are like, Okay, you see nothing, people are just gonna killed, and then you see like the waveness of the fucking Like I man watching this for the first Ti'm having no idea because when I saw it even on the Sci Fi network, I knew of Predator. I knew, okay, what the prayer looks like. I have an idea of it. Never seen the movie, let's check it out people that and I would have loved I should watch the trailers. But I imagine there's so many people that had no idea, like obviously when it first came out, what they're expecting. So this idea of like you see nothing, then you just see this waveness and then you see this fucking like tanky thing with a can on its gun on shoulder, this big ass one, and you probably think that's the final and that's like scary and badass enough, right, and then you fucking get like the mask coming off and you ugly, son of a bitch. But like it just the way it escalates to, oh, it's just something in the woods. To man, it's just fucking months like Alien Monster. It's such like a good and it's paced so well. I feel like it's almost like every it's like I think the movie's how long was it was like an hour forty nine hours?
Speaker 2: Healthy?
Speaker 4: I think it was like an hour thirty Honestly, it was a oh, I'm over selling it over lengthy.
Speaker 1: Movie, yes, but what I so? Then I don't even know the exact increments of when they do the pacing and revealing these things, but I feel like it's fantastic. It feels like what do we got here? It is, Oh my god, it gives me the whole franchise. I just want the runt time the fucking movie one hundred and seven minutes, so it's almost two hours. So it's so that's where it feels like every fifteen to twenty minutes you get a little bit more and a little bit more, and never too much, you know. And even then once you get of course you can tell like pros Tec stuff, but once you get the Predator at the end, he looks great. Even this far along, it does not look dated, It does not look cheesy. It's just like the Jurassic Park thing where man, again, I get it. While lots of people do stuff, but some practical stuff you just can't beat. And I get with CGI because there's ways that the preyder moves in this that you can't do in real life. That's where CGI does help and everything like that. I will ask you fun in fact, do you know who played the predator in this movie.
Speaker 3: Oh god, I couldn't remember.
Speaker 1: For the Life Action movie Legend, John Claudevad. Damn he was sane. Yeah yeah, yeah, so that that was his one of his things going on. But uh but yeah, no, I love the pacing of the reveal Predder, and I love everything they do with the Predder. Just to write amount everything.
Speaker 4: It's so funny because, you know, finishing it. I've watched this movie in two increments, but like, as you mentioned the pacing, I think it's just a very easy movie to just like sit down and watch in one sitting, you know. Just my schedule was busy, so I had to break it off in two parts. But so I was finishing it off today and Shay was there, of course, and then when it goes like the helmet reveal, I'm like, twoty things behind them ask and it was so funny, Like Shay's zero experience with whatsoever.
Speaker 1: She's like, it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be him.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, I was totally feeding it on her.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, no, it's gonna be It's gonna be him.
Speaker 1: And then when it.
Speaker 4: Pulls off and like it's an actual alien like her reaction was just like whoa, Like what is that thing? And like I'm almost envious of like that first reveal, right because I've just known of the Predators for so long, Like their face is so iconic. I know what it looks like. So but like from her, like she's probably seen it before but never really put two and two together. So to just like see that first reveal, like actually genuinely the first reveal from a movie in the eighties, I'm a little envious that she she got that moment. But no, it was funny. I'm like, yeah, it's gonna be Arnold. He's just hunting himself down.
Speaker 1: Oh, that would have been a great from the future, you know.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm gonna counter your Jean Claude van Damn thing. He was actually fired from the Predator. He was, he still listened in the chairs. He was he actually was in this suit. I believe he played that version. And then yeah, Kevin Peter Hall played the actual Okay.
Speaker 1: But just to confirm, was he fired or did he just play the Predator.
Speaker 3: Actor Bill Duke backs up the claims that Jean Claude Van dam was fired from Predator due to the actor experiencing dehydration during production.
Speaker 1: What fucking assholes, you're thirsty to get off the set fired because he's in a jungle in this fucking sweaty ass soon and he's like, I really like some water, and they're like, fuck off, John Clad Damn, you know it doesn't need water.
Speaker 3: Kevin Peter Hall, he doesn't.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well there you go. I always thought he played the original one. I guess technically did play the original one. But that's man, I'm so glad some things have changed. That's that's a shitty way to fire something for dehydration, But like that's the time. Is the time where people are doing fucking cocaine on set. It's the rocks life and everything like that, And that's what this movie feels like. Like just that gun say we talked about, but you got Carl.
Speaker 2: Weathers being like Kevin Peter Hall my favorite predator, oh so much better than junk.
Speaker 1: He's the best predator in the galaxy. The Predator. Yeah shuts out to Carl Wather's Amanda and stuff, and yeah, you know, where do you want to go next?
Speaker 3: Ah? I guess like maybe just the build up. So like obviously the team was sent in and used his killers. They thought they were going into rescue, but obviously Carl Weathers totally fucked him over, and they went in there and they had to get across the boarder to call in the chopper and all that jazz, and that's when things start to pick up, Like you get to finally understand the concept. Through Arnold Scharzneker's I was like, Okay, if you are fighting and killing someone you got like a weapon on you, then this thing will target you. And I like how even at the point where the woman goes to grab the gun, he like just fucking boots it out of her hands because he's starting to realize how this thing operates.
Speaker 1: I forgot about how that was the thing at first when I watched that, include in like after butt first, like where the fuck do you keep that gun out of her hand? You know, like she's just trying to defend herself.
Speaker 3: But yeah, it's between that and then her like the blood being found, and so the blood is super cool.
Speaker 1: I love that, but then.
Speaker 3: So many other little things, the heat vision and when she starts talking about how the summers like get really really hot, like and in the past when it would be really really hot summer, it's like their so the men from their village, her village would go out and they would find them hanging from trees and the same thing, like horribly massacred. And then she's just eluding again like this summer it's very, very hot, just like these cool little things they put in the back of your mind that just build up the intensity of what's going on. And yeah, I love that so much.
Speaker 4: One hundred percent, Like all the I don't know, the little like hints that shit is not just that there's not just other humans hunting us down in here, and I feel like any moment they kind of start to realize that, like it's just the intensity meter just goes up like a little dial. And I think it was like, again just to credit the Pacine, like I think that was done really well where it didn't feel like it were dragging a long time, Like it just felt like a like I was, I was in like a like a sauna that was just slowly getting hotter and hotter, you know, and then like by the end, it's just the Prator's absolutely fucking everybody up. And I mean, like that Billy character when he's just like what's going on Billy, He's like, I'm terrified.
Speaker 2: It's just like, you're not scared of no man. He's like, bullshit, you.
Speaker 1: Ain't afraid of no man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that man's like terrified as he says, oh man, yeah, like all of those little things.
Speaker 4: It was really really good for me, and I was I was just smiling. That was it was so epic and so intense.
Speaker 3: Billy turns around and looks at him and says, we're all gonna die.
Speaker 1: He said to Billy, Billy, it's I don't know if they're trying to touch it with him being like more spear of trying like that. Because I think so, and I think that's gonna fit to pray and stuff like that, because he's the one that senses it right away. And I love that shot because we know at this point what's happening in the movie. But the way you can kind of look at it is when he's just looking at the trees, you can just look at it just like this guy's like he's just fucking losing it. Like they've been through this like little battle. He just might be hot, but like there's something up there and he can't exactly see where it is, but he knows that there's something off with the t or the bushes, and Dutch doesn't really see it, but he believes Billy at the same point because I also love that we saw those people strip their skins and like, again, you guys are talking about the little layering and car weathers is like no human being could do that. Now you could just say, Okay, maybe there's some animal that did that, et cetera. But they're there again. They're trying to hit you with Okay, it's nothing of this earth mate that did that. And then when the first time they see like Hawkins's body and it's just like completely destroyed and stuff, that's when it really sets him. Okay, this is one of our guys. And it's also that he was just taking away like like thirty seconds ago, so like it's not like an animal that we could have found and everything. So that's what's great. In that middle portion where they start to realize that the presder's out there and just the little hints Okay, something's something is amiss and something's really really wrong here, and even when they figure out like oh, the preyer wants to take them out one by one by one and not just this whole group thing, Like it's just great because they that's why it makes sense. They set these guys up. They do this as a job. You know, this is their life and this is the ultimate preyyer, ultimate hunter, and yeah, some good stuff in the middle of that kind of revealing portion.
Speaker 4: And like any moment that they that one member on the team like sees the predator, Like I think they do a good job at like like this is how you would react, like you don't even know what you just saw, like something is rippling the effects and then you just saw these yellow eyes that like appeared and then it's just like, am I actually just tripping here like my dehydrate like John Clune Van dam Ice water and I'm actually like just hallucinating or did that actually happen? And they play like along that so well, where like I think it's uh, I guess Billy who's like having the first like just inklean that there might be something out there and they're all like, okay, whatever, And then you have Dylan just constantly like no, there's just there's three guys max out there, like we just take out He drops the line so many times, but then you know it goes to I mean mac he goes on a whole other insane route once he starts snipping out and seeing the predator. But like whenever any member like sees it, it's just like like what, Like how did that? I like, what actually is that? And I think it's so believable even for a viewer like watching this in twenty twenty two. This movie came out in nineteen eighty seven. Like, I still think the usage of the CGI again, I feel like that might be the most easy thing to like pick apart be like oh my god, CG in the eighties. But like, honestly, it was minimal enough that it worked. It really worked for this movie. And the fact that it was just like a jungle ripple, like was so much better than I don't know, He's in like Times Square in New York and we're seeing like this happening.
Speaker 2: So it worked really well in the Jungle.
Speaker 4: I know, I really don't remember that one either, so I'm excited to watch it for sure.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it just lends to it because it's just you what they have the prayer or doing this movie. That's where Yeah, the benefit of CGI stuff like that in the eighties, you couldn't have him be doing all this jumping from trees, all these moves and everything like that for the whole movie. But that's why they save it for a little bit in the middle when they show the reveal, but mostly for the end, and that's why it works. And it also works too because at the end he's not being super high techie. He takes off his gear because he just wants like monoy mono Arnold. So that was very smart Weather. Like. The good thing is it makes sense story wise why he would do that, because he's a hunter and it's like Dutches, the last one. He's the cream of the crop. I want to really take him out. But then it just makes sense practical wise, like okay, and this scene, we're gonna have the Preadtor moving around lots, let's take his gear off so he can kind of move around awkward and.
Speaker 3: Rips naked comes out and.
Speaker 1: He's like, you take yours off? Touch And the only the only thing that I will say is like, and that whole scene that finale is fantastic, Like I love the bill up and they keep going back and forth, they're showing the preador getting ready, he's checking his gear they're showing Arnold. He's like taking a fucking tree branch and like bending it to be a bow and arrow. Like he's just like fucking.
Speaker 3: Oh man that over shoulders.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah for a second, like a man flex here. He's like it just looks like he was, you know, he's doing that exercise.
Speaker 1: Like the manly thing you can think of. He's getting the mudy, he's getting the fire. He's just like.
Speaker 4: That predator shot to the shoulder too, so he took like a laser beat to the shoulder.
Speaker 2: Just brush it off. He's just like muscling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, absolute like pinnacle of manly man right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Like and he's just yelling in the woods, like I want to take this. I want to take Dutch in this moment and put him at the ending of Northman and see how he does. You know, because like he's ready to get down the mud with the cock flap and everything. Ar Al did it in our interminaiory. You could see his big old flapping cock around. But I love everything, the whole build up, the fight. I love that he thinks that he has the predator dead to right, so that trap and he doesn't, but then he turns it on that actually he was like it was a trap within a trap that he knew the predator would figure it, like it just keeps you guys, because I forgot about that when that happened. I actually forgot that the predator. I thought he just figured it out, and I knew Arnold was gonna get out of it. But I forgot that No, Arnold thought he would figure it out, so he wanted to Like.
Speaker 3: I didn't take it. I didn't take it like he thought he figured that. I thought it was just like a counterweight to uh, initial trap. Yeah, I like to spring the spikes up because like pin him.
Speaker 1: Yeah maybe I guess just because when he turns and looks at the preddor he has like almost like a smile, like I got you, motherfuckers. So maybe it was by chance. I always took it as like, yeah, he want him to come forward, but he kind of did two traps of like hey, he could come this way, but he perfectly planned like if the preader comes around, I fucking got you too, and I love that hole back and forth. The only thing I've always said, because I thought this was fake the very first time I saw it on YouTube. I think we've talked about on geek. First, the only thing I'd take out and the movies have as well as far as the sequels, is the fucking laugh at the end. It makes no sense, Like I don't know why they if that was a studio note or someone was just like we need something here, not the fact that it's just like a laugh like a human when Arnold's running away, it's so loud and echoing. It's just like it.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, Palpatine.
Speaker 1: Basically it takes me out every time because I'm laughing. Good thing. The movie is so great and it doesn't even really take points off anything. It's just like, man, this was that's the only most like eighties choice. I feel like this feels really dated. This feels like you guys, Yeah, I don't really, I don't understand the choice. But it's just so funny.
Speaker 2: Oh it's it's hilarious.
Speaker 4: I remember even like we did a podcast couple of years ago and I think you like brought that up and then you like brought up the video clip and I just couldn't believe it, like this is a memory that was completely wiped from my archives. No, there's no way that happens, Like a Mandel effect, and then you showed it to me. It's like, I can't believe that's real. And then watching this, I was actually watching the subtitles too, as I always do. And then like it said, and like I wasn't sure if they were trying to show like he's like mimicking them or something, because I think he like repeats a line that says like word for word, and then when he's laughing, it says Billy's laugh That's what it said. Oh yeah, So I was like, okay, is it just like some device that he has to like kind of interface with them, because I mean, is that better?
Speaker 2: I don't even know, Like it's just weird.
Speaker 1: It's just like I don't know if that was needed for him to laugh, but it okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it explains a little bit. But like he was genuinely like like I fucking got you, bastard, run for me now.
Speaker 4: Like it was just like a really like mustachetorly villain moment of like you think you beat me, well I'm gonna explode right, you know.
Speaker 1: And as a massive moment, Arnold still survived, you know.
Speaker 4: Like probably just like used his fucking biceps to just shield from the blast oh yeah, high behind it.
Speaker 1: It just just brushes off like Luke Skywalker and last year like that was nothing. I'm ready for the ready for another predator and stuff.
Speaker 4: But I will agree with you, like everything leading up until that point was it was so good and it was it was it was like an extended fight sequence of like when he when Dutch was was first with his crew when the predator was just absolutely destroying them, and then he gets sort of away, falls down that that waterfall and then it's like a bit of a lull until until that water splashes because he's like resting in the mud. It's like okay, I have a moment to breathe here, and then the water splashes just like no, it's still on. And then you know when he gets covered in mud, and then it kind of buys them some time to plan a strategy and to actually like like trap this this predator, this hunter that's hunting him, and uh, that entire like I don't even know how long that was. It was probably half an hour or you know, something around that. And it was so good. It was so like I was just totally in it, just grinning ear in the ear until the laugh the laugh.
Speaker 1: Was and what I love is like this is like a pet pee for me, is it's a finale and it really feels like a good final fight, whether it's a fight or just like the cat and Mouse game I've talked about this when you get like a final hero versus villain in the fight's like a few minutes and just like man, there's so much like the whole movie's building up to this, and the fact that this is the whole third act is pretty much just Arnold versus the Predator or Dutch versus the Predator. It's great. It delivers. You get like different functions too, of like yeah, he's just running away, He's trying to trap him to the predator. Just like that moment Dutch is crawling away and the knives just come like right before his neck. Is really sure Dutch one because you want to go monogumno. But like if the predator want to kill him, Predator won this, like you know, he just got two carried away. But that moment where he just puts those knives and like they're perfectly around his neck, You're like Jesus Christ and he just wants to fight and prove they stronger and obviously didn't go that way, but it's just it's such a good climactic like final in battle and everything like that, so.
Speaker 4: You might know this, dude, is it like a running thing for the predators that they like want to have as much of a fair fight with like a strong individual, because I feel like the time they're like like they're actually just hiding in the in the shrubs and camel like waiting for their moment to strike.
Speaker 3: It's it's like perfect hunters, right, That's that's what they strive strive to be. So when you are, when you're squared off against like a preader for the most part, like they're gonna see if you're fighting, they're gonna go in. They're gonna try and kill you. And like if you're good at being like evading them and you prove yourself like nd Schwarzenegger managed to do, then that's when you become like the cream of the crop. You become like the main trophy they want. That's their prize. So if you yeah, like what Arnold did, like just in terms of evading and just really like fucking this guy over, like that's why Okay, like we're pulling the mask off and we're gonna go at you like fists and fists because you're obviously like a very worthy thing. And that's like for the Predator, that's one of the most honorable things they like to do, Like they'll they'll know when it's like a rival, so that's like an equal to them, Like Okay, put the guns down, plasma cast aside, helmet off, and we're just gonna go at it. You you kind of touched upon it and just to kind of reaiterrate back on like when people were watching this and you're trying to figure out what's going on. Just having like the cloaked figure again like you mentioned, that's one good component, but then having this cloaked figure start repeating the character's phrases like you mentioned Kirkland when it's like Billy's laughter and stuff like the Predtor's.
Speaker 2: Just like anytime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like what the fuck, Like, now, what are we dealing with here?
Speaker 4: First I thought Dylan was just tripping, like when you heard Max's voice in that moment, but yeah, as it makes sense, there is the Predator.
Speaker 2: It's like psych psychological war games, like totally just playing with them.
Speaker 4: He's because that's where like I feel like I was kind of surprised where I knew they were like the perfect hunter, like obviously that's what the Predator and bodies, but like these psychological games, it kind of caught me off guard, like I just wasn't expecting it. And it's not a negative by any means. It's just I wasn't expecting it, and it makes them that much scarier honestly, because they can just fuck with your brain. It's like, oh, this guy is this guy like he's losing his mind. Let's drop some lines from his buddy. I just blew his fucking head off my shoulder cannon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and on top of that his shoulder cannon. You know, just like fuck, what else does this guy have? You know?
Speaker 3: You again mentioned it briefly, but that scene, it's probably my favorite scene in the whole movie. When aren't you think on Schwarzenegger just barely got away. He's in the water and he's just crawling in the mud and just the splash happens and just the this is one of my I like it because this just goes to show like how a movie can really just like blow you out, blow you out of the water, which just like how a scene is done with the score and just the acting and just the score. It kicks in and the drum, the dramatic moment just just like at an all time high peak anxiety, Art Schorsznegger's crawling back in the mud and then you just you're waiting for this fucking thing to emerge from the water, and then you see the dreadlocks kind of floating a little bit. Then it like like shakes its head. You're like, holy shit, night, we're getting like a full on view of it here. And that's where the excitement happens. And just it's slowly just coming up onto the water or out of the water and looking around like it's just that moment will always just be seared in my mind, just how intense it is, this thing just moving.
Speaker 1: And then see just chill. He's just chill too, And because he's like looking everyone's dead. He's just like looking around just like fuck, there's no one near. Like he's just he's just like a normal not normal dude, but just like he's not like in a mode where he's like right to fight. He's just walking just looking at the air and everything like that because he thinks he's gone everything and then like he said to you that you got the heartbeat of not Dutch.
Speaker 3: But you know that was definitely a good, uh derailment, I guess kind of like and again it tells you everything you need to know as well without being blatantly obvious, because yeah, he's just crawling through the mud and it's like, oh shit, yeah he uses heat to see us. I mean we we actually kind of saw that before that he's using heat vision, but just.
Speaker 1: A first of Arnold really realizes.
Speaker 3: That, right exactly. Yeah, and yeah, that just segues into him just being a badst even again the reveal when he's like he thinks he's in a good spot on his tree and he thinks he's just waiting for the predator, and then he's just like, here's the noise and he looks and the preader is crawling down like right hind him on the tree. It's just intense. Luckily, he swings and he just like stops moving and silent.
Speaker 4: Tarzan, that was something again, I guess I'm showing my limitations on my predator knowledge. I always just assume that the thermal vision was like through their helmets and then they just had like probably better eyes than us, but like relatively normalized. But like when he takes off the like the helmet, it's still thermal, but it's like a different thermal. Like I feel like there's a lot more rings as opposed to Blue and I. I. Yeah, I just I feel like I didn't realize that before this movie. It's just like, oh, like I feel like that's a big counterplay. Is like if you can just use a suit. I guess in the eighties they didn't have those, but maybe in twenty twenty two, Like I feel like you just have a suit that hides your body temperature, and like they just won't ever see you, right because it's a weakness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think they obviously the price, they'll hear you and yeah stuff like that. I think they'll maybe be in an asshole though, finding but you could strategically find a way to take them off. Yeah, just like on Yeah, you ugly, But.
Speaker 2: Like it's it's weird.
Speaker 3: Why because when you pull that helmet off and the predator, it just goes from like blue and Red just a straight red. Their whole world is completely heat, So it makes sense why they'd evolve to have this kind of like heat based vision and then especially apply it to hunting. But that's another component that I love, and they explore that down the world, which we'll get to in other movies, where they can just cycle through their different visions and they detect different forms of heat and different forms of light as well.
Speaker 1: Which is pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Okay, I thought I thought it was something like that where they had different like vision things. Clearly it was introduced in a later film, but no, like the thermal vision, like it's just so tied to the predators, Like it's just such an iconic thing. They're little noise, They're a little like wickering thing. Yeah, oh man, I love it. And the shoulder cannon, Like I feel like the first time you like you see the shouldercan throughout the movie, like just absolutely decimated people. But like the first time you see like the like the triangle like dots, like the triple dots on Mac like specifically, Like again, I'm just trying to like imagine back in the eighties, like never even hearing about the predator, Like you haven't even really seen it up until this point in the movie, and you just see this like weird triple laser pointer on this person. It's like, what even is that this whole fucking head just explodes Like that would be such like a mind blowing moment, like, oh, that's insane. It's such a cool iconic like weapon too, And.
Speaker 1: That's a good kind of duality of or you just plant like the predator itself, like you take those can stuff away that it's like, Okay, it could just be a monster in this case, an alien but in the woods, right, And that's already scary enough that there's something not of this planet hunting these guys down. But then when it also has like army tech, like what the predator's guns are are the equivalent to what their guns are on this planet, right, Like that's their defense or that's their what they used to attack. So that's where it's too. It's not only is it you know, we've already talked about this, but not only is this monster's it's like trained monster. Like that's how I think even worse because it's like saying that has like you know, probably faster, you know, can camouflage, stronger. Oh, but it's also like in an arm like it's a soldier of that planet, you know. For the shoulder gun comes in because just like again another thing on top of like you take that away. I'm sure the preder have enough time killing these people. You know, he's literally taking peel all the trees, pulling that skull and spine out and just dumping the body around. So Ken is just like a big fuck you to everybody of you know, if I wasn't gonna get you, I just like snipe you. I can just be camouflushed and snipe you from anywhere and stuff. And yeah, all right, Peter Mac whole team. You know, I appreciate that Dylan did go in to try and buy them time because it was his felting Gotham there. So I appreciate that he kind of manned up and was like, eah, I gotta go and like kind of be a like I feel like Dylan. No one really like Dylan and Billy knew they weren't getting out of scenario. They were just trying their best to see.
Speaker 2: If Billy told everybody that everybody should just listen to y.
Speaker 3: Dylan went out like definitely like a boss because he went in there, and that's again the score kicks in. His one arm gets blasted up and he's still shooting.
Speaker 1: Smg over, Yeah, still shooting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And this fucking preda comes in and just like hoists him up on his h his wrist gauntlet nuts on the note of the plasma caster when Arnod Swarzeneger just gets that first really good shot off on the predator and takes out his cloaking when the prenator is like inspecting the heat source a little fire at the end battle and the predator is just super fucking pissed and just just blind firing into the trees.
Speaker 4: I love that, man, And like the visuals of that, and again like this is all practical effects in the eighties.
Speaker 2: It's it's it.
Speaker 4: Looks so good because it was just pitch black and it's just like a firework display going off and you just see like the smoke and then it zooms out and it's just you see like the lights from the explosions. It's like darkness and you just see the predator standing there. Man, what a great image. Like I want to like get that wallpaper. It looked so gorgeous and like just tip my head, like nineteen eighty seven, like this looks so good. And again like all the jungle stuff, it looked really really really good.
Speaker 2: I was I was so impressed. I was so impressed, which is the.
Speaker 4: Visuals and yeah, the explosions, the powrotechnics, all of like the I don't know the logistics that went into it. And budget for this was like fifteen million dollars. I feel like that's incredibly low. I know, it's in the eighties, you know, yeah, some inflation, Yeah, exactly, probably.
Speaker 1: It's probably like it's probably, but still it's probably realistic, like a forty fifty million nowadays, but that's still lower tier budget with our like when we talk about Deadpool and Joker, those movies are made around that type of tier, right and stuff.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's a yeah, I think box office is like ninety eight million, and I'm like, you know, like going from fifteen million to ninety eight million, that's awesome, but like it's just so it seems so.
Speaker 2: Small compared to like what numbers are nowadays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but back then that was still like huge enough. And I think this is one on cable and DVD or I guess sorry, fuck VHS cells probably at least did well noth and plus this is like still I have to look but this is like still the like ascent of Arnold, you know, like I feel like he's like building up or did termin it, but he's not the main star. Turning that was just like, oh he's a scary dirt. He did Dutch and I'd have to look more IMDb. But I feel like it's not until T two where it's like he's already a star, but that's when he's like the mega megastar, like this is the number one dude in Hollywood, you know, where this is still just him building up and everything like that.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I guess the totally call that was like nineteen ninety.
Speaker 1: Yeah there's another one. Yeah, but so yeah, like you said, nineteen ninety, but that's another like huge one for him right like on the way. So uh, that's take an ad break and we'll give any final things to shut out and then a score so we'll be right back and we're back. So I think I hit all my notes. The only things I wanted to shut out were just probably too I think I forgot I either forgot about the other comedy one or I show er any But I man, here's another thing of like, oh yeah, the laugh was one, but here's all the only thing that's eighty. It does not affect the movie at all because it's after the movie. But man, those end credits are just actor turns this camera smile and they give their name, even the girl like and it's funny because most of them like acting kind of like a little bad aster. You're like, okay, it's kind of character to me. When the check the girl, she's just like all smiles, like yeah, like I'm just like it's it's just so funny. But then when it's a shot of Arnold, he's just serious looking at that and I don't even think it's he's doing that with them. It's like a shot from the movie, you know. So it's like he's like I'm not even at that point, like I'm not doing that dumb shit.
Speaker 4: But it like pauses on him too, like everybody else, yes, like they're moving and then it's just like the star of the show, I have a nice look.
Speaker 1: Yeah I was hal and at that I was like, oh my god, like this is just it's so silly and I love it because that's what you did back then and it would not take any points down. But yeah, that was my last thing that we hadn't talked about that I wanted to shout out.
Speaker 4: Oh man and like that shot too of that same credit when they had the actor they did Billy and it's it's like serious and he does that like ferocious laugh and it's like the scene and who is it? Hawkins like goes and tells that joke about it. He's like he's like going down to his girlfriend and then he like he says that, ye go joke.
Speaker 5: Pussy, Well, I have a big pussy, And Billy's just like so straight faced, like he's been this whole mission and then he just like lets out this like ridiculous laugh and I guess it's what the predator stole and you know used.
Speaker 1: In the end.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, that was a weird scene.
Speaker 4: But going off my notes, so, like I said, I mostly just wrote down things I had issues with, which was only four things. For me, I felt like the character Mac was just so so all over the place for me, Like initially, yeah, the fuckings.
Speaker 1: Playing point, Yeah, oh my god, they're.
Speaker 4: Like about to like have a firefight possibly like like fingers on the trigger, ready to go, and he's just like shaving like up here too, like not even where like his his face would be like so high up.
Speaker 1: And then in case he dies, he wants to look good for that open cask at funeral, you know.
Speaker 4: And again like maybe they're just trying to make it look like these guys are fucking weird, like they're commandos, you know, like they're they're wackos. But yeah, when he was when he was doing that, and I think like when they were first dropping lines like you just talk like very softly, and like I feel like every line that he was saying, they wanted to have.
Speaker 2: Like just just say a lot without saying a lot, if that makes any sense. And then when fuck, when Jesse Ventura dies whatever that character's.
Speaker 4: Name is, he just like he like snaps, I swear, like he goes through like a psychosis snap where he is like because what follows him just taking the mini gun and just absolutely like cutting down the entire rainforest right then and there, and then uh like for the rest of the movie, Like he just felt so whacky and crazy for me, and it just felt like such a shift.
Speaker 1: And I like he was shot though, so that could explain it, right that he's in he's just like that's how he's dealing with pain and stuff like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I was trying to tell myself too, like he's actually losing his mind, and that's like it's supposed to be a thing because he's just saw a ghost, like essentially right, like he just saw a ghost that's like bleeding green, like everything that he thought he knows is just out the window, and he's just freaking out, like he thinks he's gonna die. So I feel like I was trying to tell myself that, but I think the way that he was in the beginning of the film too, like when that snap happens, it was just a little bit too kooky for me, and I was just really hard to take it seriously.
Speaker 2: And then when he's shaving his face.
Speaker 3: You want to be careful who you're stuck on, like the bush with against an alien, because if you see like here, you see your guy he supposed to rely on and.
Speaker 1: He's going up, I'm ha me some fun. I'm having some fun. He's just sonder at all.
Speaker 3: He's like, fuck, this guy is not all there right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm like, okay, let's just hope he gets out, but let's focus. I get into the chop for just us and then you know, we'll we'll do a fly by if we see him, will grab him, but I disclaimed I think he's a part of the woods.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: The other note that I just kind of had an issue with was and I feel like, I feel like, I like the idea of this moment is when the predator like escapes that firefight essentially and then he goes up on the tree and he just like patches himself up, but he just pulls out like the most dollar store looking first aid kit, and it's just like such like I swear I saw like a Maiden China stamp on his scissors that he grabbed it. Like it just seemed really weird, and I get it. It's like the eighties. They're just trying to like show that he can like field dress himself or not field dress that's when you're you're hunting, but like field first aid repair himself, you know, whatever that term is. And like I feel like I like that that process. But it was just so and again this is probably like the dating of it, Like in the eighties they just they thought this looked like high tech.
Speaker 2: Like first aid kit.
Speaker 4: It just seemed really weird, especially like I could see like the rubber fingers like handling this syringe and like just squirret on.
Speaker 2: It just looked weird. Kind of took me.
Speaker 1: I agree a little. It's a I don't know if they even need to show his like first aid kid, like I get that preparing, but yeah, it did not look like all this high tech.
Speaker 2: Here and this is what you got going on, let's see. Uh oh yeah.
Speaker 4: And then in that last fight, I mean I was, I was praising it, but there was one thing I'm gotta wrote down because I completely forgot about it. But when the predators just like beating the shit out of Arnie and it's like through his thermal version, I just feel like parsonally I would have liked it if it wasn't in the thermal vision, because it was just like a lot of red and you just like and I'm like, is he winning?
Speaker 2: Is he losing?
Speaker 4: Like he's getting like it was kind of hard to follow in that moment, But again it's kind of minor.
Speaker 2: Overall.
Speaker 4: The fight for the most part was fantastic, but that was just something like, this is a little bit messy here. And then my fourth note was just the cackle at the end.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like my my first negative point didn't even occur till halfway through the movie, because, like I said, up until it like I thought I was gonna be given this a ten out of ten movie or a ten out of ten movie, ten at ten rating, and and then you know there.
Speaker 2: Was some minor things that brought it down a bit.
Speaker 4: But man, overall, for me, it came out that long ago, and it's like it's like kind of made like like people make parodies of it, and there's like the one liners are so mimable now, like it's it holds up so goddamn well. And I think, uh, I think one of you said, like I feel like it's it's a tough one to or what's a better way to say, Like it wouldn't have had the effect that it would have had if it wasn't Arnie. It's just like a perfect aligning of the planets to like have this movie come out at this time when Arnie was just so huge.
Speaker 3: You know, he's just doing it the sun right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, essentially in this in the few years stretches, right, because when did Terminator come out?
Speaker 2: The first one?
Speaker 1: I think it's like eighty two or something like that. Oh okay, so it's it's yeah, it's because he did like he did like uh, I think like Hercules, and that's a movie where he did it, and they like vowed him because they're like, well, no one's gonna understand him, so like it's not his voice in it. And then and then yeah, I think, like I think it's a two where he does Terminator because Cameron just needs a guy I as legend had it was almost O J. Simpson, but that didn't work out and good thing for many reasons, wasn't O J. Simpson, but sor I was wrong. Terminator was nineteen eighty four, and the other things that got him started, like gets known was eighty two and eighty four. He also had Cone in The Dua Barbarian and The Destroyer. Then he did Terminator in eighty four, Commando in eighty five, he did this in eighty seven, The Running Man in eighty seven, Ruled.
Speaker 2: The Eighties, Oh yeah, sane, oh yeah, crazy.
Speaker 1: The Twins, Total Recall, and then Kindergarten Cop and then T two in ninety one, and that's when I think it really really kicked off. It's like big time. And then he did True Lies obviously, which was great, and the eraser jingle all the way Batman and Robin and yeah.
Speaker 2: What year was?
Speaker 4: I apologize if you said it, but the the oh my gosh, what's even called the Christmas one that we watched.
Speaker 1: For nineteen ninety nineteen ninety six is with the year is so so it's almost a deckhead after this, So you can see where his career did change into that when he paid more mainstream of like, well you could do some fun. Hey fuck, I love ding all the way. But because you gave your kind of a final notes a Kirk and what would you give? You say? He almost was gonna give it a ten but sounds yeah, so what is the score?
Speaker 2: I honestly, I mean I'm gonna go nine point five?
Speaker 4: I I yeah, it was. It was such an enjoyable watch for me. I it was awesome. It was such a fun movie, like I was. I was very much in it, like the cheesy moments like it's not like oh eye roll like yeah fuck yeah.
Speaker 2: Cheesy line like that was awesome. It really worked.
Speaker 4: Arnold was so good seeing Carl Weather's like in this role, just you know, pulling from his character in The Mando. It's it's really funny. Just like the comparisons there, but man, he was fucking shredded, especially you know, pulling off that log like he.
Speaker 2: I mean all, like the whole crew just were shredded.
Speaker 4: And I love their outfits, like it's just like that stereotypical commando essentially what Ben Stiller was wearing a.
Speaker 2: Tropic thunder Like it's it's exactly.
Speaker 4: Pulled from that. But man, it it's so good. And I think like the minimal usage of the Predator helps it so much because he like, I'm curious what the what the screen time actually is of the Predator on screen, and I guess I could count like the the camouflage version two, because even if you include that, I feel like it's pretty pretty small.
Speaker 1: I imagine like ten to fifteen or something. Are you looking up right now, Taylor.
Speaker 3: No, I was just actually I was actually looking up, like because when you said with Carl Weather's being super jacked, I was looking up in comparison when Rocky was out and just trying to see like the difference there, because he would have been like super for a pall.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so, but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, nine point five for a movie in nineteen seven. Man, Oh, I'm so glad I was jumping on this retro to watch these movies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's only down from here pretty much. But you know we're gonna have some fun out. You know, there's some good in there. I'm excited talk about Predators because I hav been a long time, like I said, to talk about Predder too. But yeah, I'll go next. I'm trying to find that screen time for the first Predator I could do. Okay, yeah you do that, but yeah, I'm a little lower than kirkle mem at a nine. The only reason it's not ten is because, like I think, the beginning you all need that, you all need the setup. But as I said before, I think at ten out of ten for me is a movie that I know, even if it's depressed and then I'm gonna watch a bunch. I do like watching this movie, but it's not one that I need to watch right away, and I think is the beginning eventually would be you know, it's perfect for watching it. But I just mean like there's only a certain level of excitement or what I like about with that I love more the middle portion in the end I have, like I think, with a lot of like curtaincy like little nitpick Meyer once here and there but as I always say, like I kind of give it as an excite or enjoyment as far as what I found exciting as far not so much a critical. So that's where I'm a nine. It's not at a full ten, but I'm at a nine, which is still all solid score screen time.
Speaker 2: Yes, are you ready?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You said what fifteen minutes is a fifteen?
Speaker 1: I'll say, I'll say thirteen twenty six.
Speaker 4: Taylor, any guesses before I reveal, He probably dooggle he's gonna say the exactly that, or he's just seeing the movie so many times.
Speaker 3: No, I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, eight minutes. Really that's shocking. I feel like.
Speaker 4: That's shorter even than what I would have said I would have someone like least crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think it's just because like that last fight too, just feels a lot longer than eight minutes.
Speaker 1: And but probably he's not on screen for a lot of it's Arnold just run around everything, right, So m hm, tear phild take us on what would you get this movie? Honestly, I'm gonna be biased.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna go full ten and ten, like even with the laugh at the end, everything like it just uh, it was a bold movie and it just let us down a awesome road of sequels and everything. And yeah, it's just, uh, he's such a cool it's a cool concept. It's such a left curve of a storyline, like he said, Travis, having this military team going in doing their objective and their mission and then all of a sudden, what kind of a curve ball could happen? It's an alien hunting killing machine with advanced technology. It's just done so well. The action scenes I really really jive with. I really really like some things are definitely dated. With the terminology and the lingo. Stuff I definitely wouldn't repeat in today's society.
Speaker 1: And they probably wouldn't either now. Like I'm not saying that makes it right, but like back then, there's certain things that you said that were people and hey, that now is offensive because communities had a chance to speak up now, you know exactly. But yeah, it's just this movie.
Speaker 3: I watch it probably at least once a year, and it's just it's it's so good. I have one last little bit of like cool trivia, which I think I've told you guys before, but it's a video I'm gonna play and let me know it's only be like fifteen seconds long. Let me know if you guys recognize the sound of this and here we go.
Speaker 1: I feel like when you said that up, it's like, what else would the sound be? Like, there's gonna be a laugh of billy. Ah. It's like I saw the crow. I saw the crow making or the video there. But I'm like, whether sound would you'd be like, oh, what sound anything? This is guys, you know, but yeah.
Speaker 3: I just think that I love that. It's just like it's just a crow. I've been out in parking lots and you just you hear the fucking prider.
Speaker 2: No, he's like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: And you just see those dots and this.
Speaker 2: Can have be some fun to start repeating that.
Speaker 1: Well, holay, gentlemen, we did it. Uh yeah, I imagine when you're on Patreon check out, because it'll be kind of weekly what up, but on live feeds should be kind of every week or so you'll get another one. We'll be doing Predator too with Donald uh Danny Glover sorry not Donald Glo or Danny Glover and uh oh man, I'm forgetting the other guy with the teeth and he is uh blonde. God. I thank Gary Gary Busey, thank you very much. So, uh, it should be fun because I haven't talked about the while. I imagine it's gonna be different comparing it to this one. But there's a couple of good Easter eggs in there. So thank you very much. With it's Twitter, Facebook, discord Our, Patreon, everything, let us know what you thought about, let us know what you would score it, and we promised when hear fromus next the will not be boring.