Speaker 1: Beautiful day outside. It's cool down just a little bit. We're actually gonna have some cooler temperatures throughout the weekend. It's still hot because you know, it's summer. It's only August inching towards fall.
Speaker 2: But as it is.
Speaker 1: Every single day, it is good to have you along for the ride, including the Texter. It felt the need to text in the crack on me during Sean's show about the fact that sometimes I can be a little bit mean about other people's music, our guys in his fields today. Sorry, pal, my musical taste is different than yours. That's a beautiful thing about discretion. So hello Texter, whatever your number is. We don't read text on this show, but thanks for chiming in, Thanks for listening to the station. Happy Friday to you. Congratulations, you made it weekend time. Take a big old deep breath. You did the things this week, showed up, did what you had to do, and now you are rewarded with a weekend. Happy weekend to you. It's good to have you with us. My day is Spence check its. I host this radio show. That young man is Porter Larson producing the program today, booking the program today with a lot of good guests excited for this today good guest list on the program the return of the NFL last night. Preseason Week one got rolling last night with three games. There are three more games tonight and then some games over the weekend. So there's some quarterback battles going on right now that we learned a little bit more about last night, and we'll learn a little bit more about tonight should Or Sanders takes center stage for the Cleveland Browns. They're taking on the Panthers. The early game is the Lions and the Falcons. We will not see Jared Goff, we will not see Michael Pennix Junior. We will not see Kirk Cousins. No jayde and Daniels tonight for the Commanders, but the Patriots I believe will play Drake may So NFL football. In the program today, Dane Brugler, friend of the show from The Athletic, released his up to date offensive tackle rankings today, and the University of Utah, to nobody's surprise, widely featured some more love for Spencer Fano and Caleb Lomu. We'll get into some of the on the program today. Last night we saw the Colts and the Ravens do battle. Anthony Richardson left the game with a dislocated finger. Daniel Jones came in, looked, okay, that's your QB battle with the Colts. Joe Joe Burrow actually played more than I thought he would. He looked good early. He and Jamar Chase connecting a bunch of different times. No, Jalen Hurts for the Eagles, and then the Raiders and the Seahawks ended at twenty three apiece. The Pete Carroll bowle. We saw a little Geno Smith. It's our little Jalen Milroe as well for the Seahawks. So NFL football is back, preseason style. Get into some of that on the program today. Obviously, we are high speed ahead to college football three weeks from tomorrow. University of Utah, Brigham Young, Utah State, all open up week, Zeros right around the corner. Chat out with Chris Comraadi yesterday. He'll be in Dublin four week zero. So college football right around the corner. NFL football back for the most part. Lowry Marketing put on a show today. Euro Basket is going on right now. Lowry Marketing in twenty five minutes had forty eight points.
Speaker 2: Nine rebounds and three steals. We may have.
Speaker 1: Forgotten how good he is because they didn't let him play very much last year, even when he was healthy, to the point where the NBA fined the Utah Jazz one hundred thousand dollars. Speaking of the Utah Jazz, a new survey out today about where jazz fans find themselves. Ultimately a lot of jazz fans not satisfied at all with the customer experience as a result of price sykes as it pertains to the lack of results. Old radio partner Gordon Monson with a piece on that for the Salt Lake Tribune today, so we'll get into it. RSL hits the road after their League's Cup experience. They were able to win on Wednesday, not enough to advance the club to.
Speaker 2: The knockout round of the League's Cup.
Speaker 1: So now we hone our attention on MLS playoff soccer and the stretch run where RSL will be in New York coming up on Sunday to take on the Red Bulls. Now Ruan Cruz was able to make his debut on Wednesday nights, still awaiting the debut of the other designate well, not a designated player. It's a tam acquisition. I don't care about that. You guys shouldn't either. But Victor Olatunji, a legitimate number nine who we could see on Sunday's working on his work visa as we speak. So a little bit of everything on the program today. The world of professional golf is honed in on the FedEx Playoffs, the Saint Jude Championship at TPC South Wind in Memphis, Tennessee, where Tommy Fleetwood from the UK is looking for his first career victory on the PGA Tour. And after Tommy's round today, if he crumbles this weekend, a lot of people are going to be talking about that. Tommy went low once again round one sixty three today with a sixty four, and he is in the clubhouse at thirteen under par, four stroke shy of the second place golfers, which are Colin Marikow and ox Sha Battia. Ox Shay, with a career low sixty two yesterday, followed up with a solid sixty nine today. He's at nine under along with Mariko A, Kurt Kindiyama, and Andrew Novak. Eight under par as is Justin Rose. Justin still on the course. Jacob Bridgeman eight under par. Also still on the course, Scotty Scheffler part of the sixty six today and he is seven under part which is good tied for eighth. Bud Kley seven under par, so is JJ Spond and Ludwig oberg At six under. See Kim Maverick McNeely six under as well. Let's see where our guy Tony Fee now two solid rounds A sixty nine yesterday, a sixty eight today he's.
Speaker 2: Three under par, which is good tied for twenty fourth.
Speaker 1: So keep you up to date on the FedEx Saint Hu Championship as the World of Professional Golf honed in there TPC South Wind, Memphis, Tennessee. A lot to do on the program today, Good guest list, we'll start things out with a real life Batman, and we don't know if he's going to be in studio, and we don't know if he's going to be over the phone. I don't know if he's going to show up with a fur coat on and no shirt or a cowboy hat. But Trevor Riley is scheduled to be our first guest. Trevor I learned as I walked in today allowed one of our staffers to take home his new England Patriot Championship ring to show to his family. Having some headphone issues here right out of the gates, so hopefully Trevor will be in studio, maybe he'll be over the phone. But I walked in and our guy Dylan next door is showing off a new England Patriot super Bowl ring. I'm like, where the hell did you get done? I thought it was a replica yeh. And he hands it to me and I'm like, this is real, dude. He's like, yeah, it's Trevor Riley's when he was here yesterday. He just gave it to me and said, take this home and show your family.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and Dylan, we love Dylan's. Yes, he's just kind of our neighbor radio station guy. Trevor's getting a little loose with the ring. I guess, or, Hey, it's it's your property.
Speaker 4: Hand how you want it.
Speaker 3: I know if I had a Super Bowl ring that I earned, uh, you wouldn't be touching it.
Speaker 1: But that's just me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, Trevor may have just met Dylan yesterday.
Speaker 1: I think if we're honest, he's like, yeah, take this home, show your kid.
Speaker 4: That was the point of it. Apparently the kid wanted to see it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's it's it's real. It's definitely Trevor's ring. It's not a replica. So hopefully Trevor will be in studio so he can recover his property that's probably.
Speaker 2: Worth hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Speaker 1: We'll do some college football and some pro football with Trevor. Aaron Falk, our friend from the Salt Lake Tribune, makes his return to the program today for an entire hour during the three o'clock hour. Paul pug Meyer for the latest on the PGA tour in the local golf scene. Then Jason Batakia, who covers the University of Utah for the Salt Lake Tribune, stops by as well, so Trevor Riley, Aaron Falk, Paul Pugmyer, Jason Batakio Me Spence Check it's noted music critic, and that guy Porter Larson. Am I too mean about other people's taste in music?
Speaker 2: You can tell the truth.
Speaker 3: One time I played a Hank Williams senior song Get This like the godfather of country and Western music, and you came on the mic. Right, all right, that's enough. You've lost the responsibility.
Speaker 4: What is this? What is this garbage? I was offended.
Speaker 1: Okay, so maybe maybe it is a meat problem. Maybe maybe it's something I need to work on.
Speaker 3: I will say, usually I do quite like your taste in music. There's rarely a time where I'm like, you know, this is bad. I could I could make a lot of Dave Matthews jokes.
Speaker 1: But I also do hold no, no, don't say could you do here?
Speaker 3: Okay, So here's the thing. We can poke in prod back and forth. But it may have been a valid critique, your critique the Texter.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, okay, okay, fair enough. Well, I have this debate with a friend of mine all the time. Like, popularity does not equal quality, correct, that's my opinion, I.
Speaker 3: Would say, especially like modernly, But that's another opinion.
Speaker 1: One of the best selling albums of all time is Meat Loafs Bat out of Hell. Okay, So, like, let's be honest about where we're at here. I have the best selling albums of all time in front of me, and a lot of them are awesome. Michael Jackson very talented, Whitney Houston one of the best voices of all time. I went through a phase where Pink Floyd was like my favorite band. I'm not a huge Eagles guy. Shout out at big Lebowski, Shania Twain, not really a fan Beg's Zeppelin. Look, there are a lot of albums that millions of people have consumed that just aren't very good. So, but the beautiful thing about music, just like the beautiful thing about a radio show or a stand up comic or a movie or a TV shows, discretion is important. What is for some may not be for others exactly. But is there a literal definition of good music?
Speaker 3: I think so, but again everyone's you know, everyone's view of that's gonna be a little different. A really good example of this, I think is the Beatles. I think the Beatles have made really quality music, but some of their most popular songs suck.
Speaker 2: Sorry, okay, you know, I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's one where there's like pop popular, which I think is something you can listen to in the background and you can listen to on the radio, and it's like going on during the course of your day. And then there's things you can go and like really hear a concert a live event, right, I don't know. I think there is a line where there's good music and bad music. But again that's just my own subjective taste.
Speaker 1: Okay, what we're gonna do on the show today, I'm going to pick an artist from this list of the best selling albums of all time that I personally think are horrible.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna play that music.
Speaker 1: For instance, the best selling album of two thousand Lincoln Park.
Speaker 2: Lincoln Park sucks. Okay, and I could keep going.
Speaker 1: We've got a Little Spice Girls, a Little Ace of Bass, Hoodi and the Suckfish.
Speaker 2: There are a lot of really bad bands on this list.
Speaker 4: I forgot you hated Darius Rucker.
Speaker 1: No, it's not even Darius Rucker individually, it's the entire collective group. They're horrible. I've seen them live multiple times, didn't.
Speaker 3: I tried to make the case on live radio like four years ago that Hoody and the Blowfish was better than Dave Matthews.
Speaker 1: You did, and it was highly offensive. Okay, it was highly offensive. Oh okay, right out of the gates. Give me a little meat loaf, Okay, give me a little I would do anything for love. That's gonna be our first bump for Trev, because Trev doesn't give a rip, and I will take the criticism that I received from listeners and my producer that I need to be kinder about other people's taste in music.
Speaker 2: I'm going to take that piece of criticism.
Speaker 3: I think we can we can agree, Spence, that there is good music and bad music, but we can also agree that it's subjective and you can like bad music and you have that right.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, so Texter, congratulations on your horrible taste in music. All right, Trevor Riley is going to be our first guest today. But want to let you guys know, no long waits, no overprized green fees, just pure golf. You can play eighteen holes for only forty five dollars and fifty bucks on the weekends. I'm talking about my friends at Stansbury Park golf Course right off of I eighty. Whether you're a weekend warrior, just need a place to escape the office grime, this is your spot, Stansbury Golf Course, great rates, gorgeous greens, all just minutes away. Book your tea time now at Stansbury Golf Course dot com. E excuse me, Stansbury Park dot com. All right, real quick, and we're gonna bring Trevor in. We'll get Trevor's take on this. Dane Brugler from The Athletic, who is one of my favorite NFL draft analysts and he is a friend of the program.
Speaker 2: He's been on a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Dane periodically throughout the course of the summer will release his summer positional rankings. Today, Dane released his offensive tackle positional rankings.
Speaker 2: And I know we all know the deal.
Speaker 1: And Coach Witt himself has said on a couple of different occasions, including a big twelve media days with myself and Shot O'Connell, he believes this is the best offensive line that Utah football has ever had in the twenty one years Kyle has been.
Speaker 2: With Utah Football.
Speaker 1: He believes this is the best offensive line he's ever had, So Dan Brugler. Offensive tackle number one, Caden Procter from Alabama. The dude is like six 's eight three sixty five and he is the consensus might be the first pick in the draft. Actually that would probably be arch arch Manning, but the first non quarterback taken probably wily be the Procter kid. But at number two, Spencer Fano University of Utah. The second best highest rated offensive tackle in all of college football. Here's what Dana had to say about Spencer best trade balanced through engagement. He says, quote, there's a ton of love about Fano's tape. In the run game, he's a fluid mover with vice grip hands and the innate desire to drive his target from the spot. As a pass blocker, he uncoils out of his stance with light feet, firm punch, and smooth redirect. The common theme from his tape is an ability to stay balanced from the point of attack through the finish, regardless of the action required. Dane's take on what Spencer must improve is filling out his frame. You know, it's interesting Big twelve media days. It's always interesting to see these football players without pads on. If you saw Spencer Final walking down the street, you would certainly be like, that's a big dude, But you wouldn't be like, that's a massive offensive lineman who's one of the best in college football.
Speaker 2: He really isn't all that big.
Speaker 1: So the Procter kid, like I said, is about six' eight three sixty. Five spencer's about six, four three hundred, pounds, so according To, dane must fle out his frame. Quote with an average overall, length there isn't much he can do about his, arms but there's room on his frame to add weight and strength to his. Base he said he added ten pounds of bulk this offseason and it's going to be interesting to see how that impacts his. Performance here's the draft, outlook according To Dane, brugler one of the highest ranked recruits In utah, History final immediately earned his way onto the field as a true freshman as the youth starting left. Tackle well he kicked over to write tackle as a sophomore last season and was even, better earning Multiple All american nods with arguably the best offensive tackle tannem And college Football Kyle whittingham thinks his twenty twenty five group will be the best offensive line At utah since he.
Speaker 2: Became the head coach twenty one years.
Speaker 1: AGO a sticky, Blocker final was one of the ten best PROSPECTS i have studied the. SUMMER nfl scouts shared the same, excitement and they also praise his intelligence and no ego. Mindset number three Is Xavier, chaplin The auburn kid who's also six seven three Forty number. Four he Has, francis the kid From. MIAMI i do not know how to pronounce that last, name So i'm not going to do. It six, seven three Thirty and then at number five Comes Caleb. Lomu two of the top five tackles in the country played their football for The university Of, utah according To Dan. Brugler according To, Dan caleb's best trade is his pass pro. Quickness with his light, feet quick, hands and athletic. Frame he is very natural in his movement patterns as a, blocker explodes off the, snap maintains knee ben, balance and eager hands easily shield speed. Rushers only a red shirt freshman in his first season as a starter last, year But lomu natural pass protection, feet body, quickness both of which will be coveted in THE.
Speaker 2: Nfl caleb six, six three oh.
Speaker 1: Five so he's taller Than, spencer but he's not much heavier Than, spencer and So dane essentially says he also needs to improve his play. Strength HIS nfl draft out, look he thinks he's going to be a first. ROUNDER i won't read the entire, thing but thinks he's going to be a first. Rounder but WHEN i saw that pop up, today on my. ALERTS i wondered where we would have these, two BUT i did not think we'd see two of the top five tackles In america playing their football for The university Of. Utah why is that, Paramount, well it's paramount for a number of different. Reasons, Namely Devin dampier was able to do a ton of damage on the ground last year without a great offensive line in front of, him and Coach Witt big Twelve Media days called it kind of a one man banned a one man. Show you should be really excited about what this ground attack could look like With devin And, waishan with these two tackles and then a bunch of veterans around. Them so seeing that ranking today felt pertinent to bring on air to kind of give you guys a little juice and excitement for what this rush attack is going to look. LIKE i will continue to be skeptical of What utah football can do through the air this year for a number of. Reasons devn's passing numbers last year weren't great as we talked, about and we just don't know who's going to catch the. Football we don't know what his weapons look like yet COULD i be, wrong of, course AND i hope THAT i, am because you have to have a balanced, attack not just in this, conference but in college football to win football.
Speaker 2: Games all. RIGHT i really only know one meat love.
Speaker 1: Song it's THE i Would Do anything For love. Song i'm not familiar with this. One which meat love song did you decide to go? With?
Speaker 3: HERE a little two out of three ain't, bad, OKAY i think the next most popular meat loaf?
Speaker 1: Tune all, right, maybe so let's get a LITTLE i would do anything for, love next spump, DEAL i got, You, Okay So Trevor riley's live in. Studio. Trevor the question is is there such a thing as simply good?
Speaker 2: Music?
Speaker 1: Like can you define what good music? Is or is it simply discretion and left up to one's.
Speaker 6: TASTE i would, say if you like classical music at, all if you like drums and, violin, guitar, PIANO i Think, chicago, okay obviously the album where they Had david whatever his name Was foster produced the Album that's pretty good, music. Okay that mixes the pop with some you, know old school instrumental.
Speaker 1: Stuff with rock and, roll yacht rock type.
Speaker 6: STUFF i, mean it's smooth and anybody can listen to it because not everybody likes rock and. Roll, true not everybody likes, rap but yacht rock seems to be one of those WHERE i can get Like Billy, idol he's.
Speaker 1: All, right, okay like you can digest it.
Speaker 6: Easily, yeah it's it's like people who Speak spanish From, peru not a heavy, accent easy to. Understand, right you go To dominican republics can be a little. Tough, yeah, yeah that two years Of spanish is going to be out the window.
Speaker 1: Now fair. Enough Trevorley's liven studio one of the best to ever do it for the, utes LONGTIME NFL. Vet all, RIGHT i do this with you every time you hop INTO i just want the, update, MAN i just want the update BECAUSE i have no specific. Questions you never know where this is going to. Go what's going on with? You as of?
Speaker 2: Now it's been a wild.
Speaker 1: Ride.
Speaker 6: OKAY i just got off the phone With Brian bleckin And sennie Found Nukul. Nice that's my defensive stafferer with The Uta. Islanders so Sell It Community college. Affiliated we're Playing Snow college Two saturdays from tomorrow in Harrim At Zions bank stadium tickets from five dollars right check us OUT U thailanders dot. Com but we've been game, planning, okay and so we were putting a roster. Together we went from about fifteen guys to we're up about fifty five, now and so that's. Cool we got A Utah Players association we, formed you, Know Jesse, Boone Nate orchard's our. President we Got sly And Matt martinez on the, board myself and a few, Others Derek. Shelby so we got a scrimmage tomorrow with The. Utes, Okay so we're going to have our first official meeting there and then maybe some re stuff and then you, know newly.
Speaker 2: Married so that's.
Speaker 1: Fun that a, boy, CONGRATULATIONS i met your. Bride she's, lovely isn't she?
Speaker 2: Beautiful, yeash.
Speaker 6: Gorgeous good job At Lucia tree's art by the, way great, watercolorists.
Speaker 1: Very, nice very. Nice all, Right So Utah. Islanders Utah islanders dot com is where you. Go So, trev let's kind of go back a little bit because radio is not linear for our listeners who were not tuned in prior to take us through the origin. Story when did you first come up with this idea and then unpack exactly what you're trying to.
Speaker 2: Do. Well all the credit goes To chrystalin and his Wife.
Speaker 6: Jess they kept the semi pro football team alive just for the love of the. Game neither of them have, kids and it's a couple who they own a company called Screen protect and they were he wanted to get involved in, football so he starts. This he gets involved with The sentinels that used to be okay you and.
Speaker 2: This is, low low.
Speaker 1: Level this is beer league. Ball this is the old school beer league.
Speaker 2: Ball got to start, somewhere so.
Speaker 6: This is a couple of years. Ago so then they, morphed and you, know he's an. Entrepreneur he gets this, idea why don't we link up with the college and so solid community call as you, know does not and has never had. Football that was a void that's easily. Filled so he set that up and then we got a couple of guys on, BOARD T Kenny kenny from The university Of utah and a few other, guys and then you, know they called me and, said, HEY i need you to kind of put a bow on this, thing put this thing together like how you were doing At Jackson state And colorado and helping. Out you, KNOW i learned From Bobby black and At. Utah he's my best friend up, there and so there's a lot of continuity. There and so the idea was this that we can put together a team where we can do a life after, ball, right you, know an entrepreneur, school trade, school and that, way if you don't want to go to class, spence you can still play secondary. Ball and at the same, time if you do want to go Play division, one we'll set you. Up we got an academic, advisor you got a scholarship or at. Community so there's a lot. There but the biggest thing is is that we have junior college. BALL i call it single a football now In Salt lake In Utah. County you don't have to go to you from. Anymore and that's kind of a big.
Speaker 1: Deal it.
Speaker 6: Is there's a lot of kids they're GONNA i, mean they're showing. It they're calling me every, day, DUDE i.
Speaker 2: LOVE i love to hear. That SO i have the.
Speaker 1: Website i'll tell people continuously go To Utah islanders dot com and you have a.
Speaker 2: Roster you have a roster up on your.
Speaker 1: Website last time you joined, us you said one of the young men practicing with you was wearing an ankle. Monitor we're all about. Redemption, Baby i'm with, you you know, Me i'm with you. This did he make the? Team, yeah he's great. Linebacker, okay he's just he's a great, kid all. Right he's actually related to the sool SO i coached At utah nice mean by, school very nice and so he's shown up every.
Speaker 6: Day and we have other. Kids we have a kid who's an, engineer who wants to be an. Engineer we know a kid wants to be a. Doctor we have a kid who's a, plumber and we have a kid who's a. Welder we have a kid who owns his own car detailing. Business just got a New. Beamer Nice, SO i, mean there's a, lot it's a potpourri of. People but the good thing is it's. Local it's about ninety percent. Local so this game On, saturday the twenty, third it's a celebration in the state Of. Utah, yeah you're going to see a lot of the great high school players you've seen the last five to six. Years and Then Snow college is going to put a great team out. There And nashley rank last, year and what we have to start looking at. This everybody listen, here this is developmental. Football now we are The we are the farm teams For utah and B yu and so that's what this. Is you want to come see what the talent looks. Like, right we just saw what by you did With Jay. Hill they farmed about six of them out, there, right brought them on over one eleven. Games so the blueprints already. There AND i think we're heading the right. Direction and thanks for having a, song but that we really. Appreciate oh of course you know you're my. Guy so your.
Speaker 1: Reference you're going to scrimmage The? Utes, no, No i'm just saying we want to feed them. Players but earlier you said you have a. Scrimmage is that? True The utes have a scrimmage, tomorrow, correctly and Well i'll be. There that's The Utah Players. Association oh we have we now are have. Gotten we've become. Official, okay we went on the, internet SO i guess it's. Official not on social, media BUT i guess that's how it goes. Now Nate orchard is our president of The mayor Of Sac Lake.
Speaker 6: City, Indeed Jesse, Boone vice, president AND i said before it was kind of a brain trust between those guys and myself put this thing. Together and you, know we're working With Pablo kanno And Rudy, rudy we're. Trying we're trying To we got to get the alumni, involved Right and that's that's this thing that you tas as you, know as a, you that's one we've always talked. ABOUT i think you, Know Jeff rudy and his crew And, pablo they're bridging the gap with, us AND i think we're gonna have a good family meeting On.
Speaker 1: Saturday how how can you alumni get involved with?
Speaker 6: This, well first thing we need to, support right we and for ALL u ex, players if you played one day Of University utah, football please come to the scrimmage On.
Speaker 1: Saturday reach out To Adam fry or.
Speaker 6: Pablo'cnno we got a Did we had a lunch At El Cholo restaurant after from two to four and that's going to be our hangout spot and we'll have you over.
Speaker 1: There, Spence we're. Going we got it going.
Speaker 2: Though. Now, okay so now we're like every other.
Speaker 6: University it's like some novel things like it's already just this is what it is.
Speaker 1: Now so you feel like you have some good. Momentum you, know the things are just going in the right.
Speaker 6: Direction what do you, THINK i, mean imagine this if you are a, donor, right what if we start a? Hedge, funny what IF i get some private equity? Money would you rather give you money to the? School give it to, Us we'll go buy.
Speaker 1: Players, YEAH i mean it's out of the box thinking like this that's happening across the country that, honestly you got to figure out some angle tre because ultimately the reality right now and this is not surprising to me BECAUSE i said this five years ago WHEN nil started to become a. REALITY i, said this is going to really BENEFIT. Byu it's going to really Benefit Brigham. Young they have a lot of entrepreneurs that have graduated from school and started companies and MLMs and whatever else they've, done The silicon, slopes the tech bros who have made hundreds of millions of dollars sometimes billions of dollars that very much LOVE Byu athletics and the interesting. Tie this is something we talked about this week Because Notre dame AND, byu, right now have massive collectives and economic.
Speaker 2: Tax free money based. Infusion it's tax free.
Speaker 1: Money but the other thing it is trev and you know this because you have AN lds.
Speaker 2: Background if you're A catholic and.
Speaker 1: You Love Notre dame And Notre dame says to, You Notre dame football is a great conduit in a vehicle for the exposure for The catholic. Church if you're a member of The catholic church and you Love Notre, dame you say To Jack, swarbuck how much money do you? Need if this is the, Deal if you're telling me that my football program or my basketball program will lead to more exposure for the church THAT i, love and that's my faith, system here's a blank. Check and if you're a member of THE lds church And Brian santiago comes to you and, says we believe our football program is the best missionary tool that we have in an athletic department to spread the, gospel what are you going to, say how much money do you?
Speaker 2: Want utah does not have that built in.
Speaker 1: Advantage, yes plenty OF lds people on the coaching, staff plenty OF lds people in the, administration plenty of lds people that are, alumni But utah does not utilize their message as a missionary tool the WAY byu. Does so whatever the oud of the box idea, Is, trev you got to come up with something For utah to keep.
Speaker 6: UP i, Agree and to answer a few of those points, THERE i would say this never had an alumni meeting.
Speaker 2: Ever.
Speaker 6: Never Huh so that's, interesting, RIGHT i had a football, team, right we've never now that and maybe that's not a normal, thing But i'm sure they've had the. Meetings just no one's, showing at Least i'm, not And i've heard that from a number of. People that's not anybody's. Fault we were a commuter, school, right we were. Not they just put dorms up.
Speaker 2: There what for The.
Speaker 6: Olympics this was not a place where people like moved to and went to. School it's Downtown Salt Lake.
Speaker 1: City, yeah they had, dorms BUT i can tell you as somebody that spent some time up there in the, nineties they were it was like A lacina in compared to like A, marriyout which they have now that the dorms are a little bit better.
Speaker 6: Now so some of the, things, right they tore up the golf course and they you, know you, know And i'm going to say. THIS i Mentioned brian And. Cinny you, Know i'm going to give up my generation a little. Credit we bridged the gap from The Mountain west to THE pac twenty did and so there's some of, us me And, brian Especially brian really he was, THERE i, know and he started as a. Freshman we, Met we Beat Aaron donald in that Team pittsburgh twenty. Ten he is a game when he pick his first, game amazing. Play but, anyways you go from that, right THE pac twelve the, money, right that was the biggest. Deal we were always small, time, yep because we had no money and we had no, facilities and So urban AND i obviously coach McBride started the whole. Thing chris still hiring him and Hiring. Majeris you, Know christill doesn't get enoughredit for those two. Hires those are two big. Hires. Man you don't have to worry about basketball football for ten years a. Decade and so going, forward we got to start collaborating with the. School we don't want to fight the. School we want to. Work we all want to. Win, okay the goal is to win and for, players, like for one, thing we want. Healthcare that'd be, nice, right we got twenty five HUNDRED x, players we could put something. Together, Right that's something we could. Do so they're among other, things, right that's a good goal to start, WITH i Think. Spence and then for, us we want to be a vehicle to drive money for the. School we need to start earning money for the. Team we need an all money, now a lot of, it, yep, okay or that's people are going to start getting, fired and then people start getting angry and you start blaming. People it's because we don't have any. Money you're athletics right In, vegas that's always the. Talk you don't want to be The. A's you don't want to Be Utah state where they got one guy that's in a owl money that's. It, Yeah i'll be the. Quarterback so we do not that where we're going to be. That but it's the have and have. NOTS i just These texas schools they got money and you're in The big, twelve right and The mormons they got.
Speaker 2: Money so we got to figure out a.
Speaker 6: Way So i'm hoping we can collaborate with all the great minds who've played here or who are alumni like, yourself who are doing big. Things we should we need to start. Meeting, yeah and you know the interesting.
Speaker 1: Thing The athletic did a piece today about The Big ten looking into private. Equity The Big ten is going to make over a billion dollars this year and every member institution is going to take home about eighty nine. Million that dwarfs what The big twelve schools are going to take. HOME byu will be a FULL rev sharing school next. Year they're not FULL rev. Yet utah was FULL rev right out of the, gates which says a lot about how The Big twelve Wanted. Utah but when you compare The Big twelve to THE sec and The Big, ten the gap is huge and it's just going to keep getting. Bigger and if The Big ten gets ahead of this with private equity, money you can just kiss it. Goodbye BECAUSE i really still THINK trev at the end of the. Day there will be this line of delineation that occurs between we'll just use the easiest example The Big ten of THE sec doing their own thing and everybody else being left out C nfc, Basically and so if Your, utah if YOUR, byu you, know the two schools that we cover the most on the. Show you have to have everything in order that if that phone call comes from The powers and The big ten of THE sec and they say we are breaking, away no MORE, ncaa we don't give a rip about partnerships with.
Speaker 2: You we are breaking, away but we are interested in You.
Speaker 1: Utah to join, us you have to have everything in line and, none the least of which is your economic. Model AND i honestly don't know what it is At. UTAH i really.
Speaker 6: Don't, well my grandfather tells great Stories Wayne, riley about when The arizona. Schools he, SAYS i remember the pack e Those arizona schools got in. Here they took a decade even be. Relevant and he had a. POINT i went back and looked at if he wasn't wrong in a lot of. Ways and so what happens is if you even if you know we're going to scale a, problem we'd be a two conference football thing in college. Football and the nca has already done. ANYWAY i mean at my level they. Did they allow all intents and. Purposes at our, level we're playing junior Colleges division two And division three and semi. Proteins so it's Already AND i used to tell PEOPLE i was At Jackson. State, OKAY i never saw our compliance. Officer we had. One she was, awesome you, know she was for the whole. School and it wasn't because we were breaking. Rules it just they know at the, bottom they don't. Care and so when you start scaling, up, right we're at the point now where they don't care, anymore the big schools because they've lost the recort. Case and so going to WHAT i think For, utah we don't want to get caught Like arizona's or we get into the big tip.
Speaker 1: That we're ten years.
Speaker 6: Behind, yeah do you spend a decade catching up, Financially let's get ahead of.
Speaker 2: It we know what's, coming, Right, YEAH i mean that's WHERE i think it's moving.
Speaker 1: Now there are some complications with some of the television deals that don't expire for a few. YEARS i, mean if you would have asked me to try have five years, ago what will the sport look like in five years meaning, NOW i would have told YOU i thought we would already be in that. Model, okay so five years, later what we're looking at now a few, complications and there there. Are so there's some momentum In congress or the ability for players to collectively bargain now that will be something that has to be passed THROUGH uh legislators and local. Leaders and there are some complications when it comes to treating football players like. EMPLOYEES uh certainly for public school Like UTAH byu does not have the same. Complications they're not beholden to the state the way The university Of utai.
Speaker 6: Is they still take federal dollars, THOUGH i, think which means they're going to be beholding to.
Speaker 1: Somebody but as far as the ability to treat people like employees and collectively, bargain so the players and, look the complications will be taken on by very smart lawyers who see dollar.
Speaker 2: Signs like the best career right now in law is.
Speaker 1: To sue THE ncaa because like over the, time over the past five, years like every lawsuit that's been filed by THE NC doublea or against THE NC doublea has gone against. Them and so WHENEVER i hear, PEOPLE i think it's lazy. Analysis WHEN i hear people, say, oh there's too much red, tape you can't traverse.
Speaker 2: It, yes you can and powerful.
Speaker 1: Lawyers we'll take on this task of teaming up with college athletes and saying we will collectively bargain on your, behalf and we will negotiate a salary. CAP i know there's the twenty point five mil that's been out, there but that's low compared to the revenue that's brought.
Speaker 2: In plus there's private money on top of.
Speaker 1: That private money on. Topic it will negotiate a salary. Cap we're going to negotiate a. Pension we're going to make sure that you're taking care of long after you. Play and then the powers that being in the new era of college, football will negotiate with the. Lawyers and it's going to look a lot like THE. Nfl and, honestly this should have happened yesterday because if we do, This, trevor what it does is alleviate the issue of players leaving after a.
Speaker 2: Year why why would you you sign a?
Speaker 1: Contract, okay you're here for two years with a team option for a three, year and that option will not be. Exercised if you're a top two round, pick you can leave to go to the. Draft if you do, that players do not transfer willy, nilly you can keep them on campus and develop a program instead of trying to break. It Bronco meneha's eighty new players this, year, man most schools have between sixty and. Seventy it makes it impossible for a coaching staff to build a, program and it makes it impossible for a community to latch onto players because they're here for a.
Speaker 6: Year WHAT i mean to your, point just to bring it back The, islanders just to include us in one little. Thing if we are really the, bottom, right if we are the SINGLE a, ball and we'll Say Utah state's TRIPLE. A if you're a kid right now and you have an offer From Utah state as a, linebacker you get to go burning you're a velligi or billion of start as a. Freshman we're not going to pay any. Money or you can come play for. Us take nine. Units your clock doesn't. Start, yeah now you can see where it starts getting a little fuzzy there right. Right if you're a parent and you're a, kid, well if i'd seeing my, kids will it?
Speaker 2: Develop why don't we just take this year over?
Speaker 6: Here and so now the system becomes such where it cannibalizes itself at the bottom and so at the.
Speaker 1: Top if you have some.
Speaker 2: Structure you, know he's seen that movie with the Duluth eskimos With George. Clooney, well it's.
Speaker 6: About the twenties when they when the government got involved because people were dying in THE nfl, games and SO i don't think that's NOT i don't think people are dying in college. Football but it's getting out of. Hand trust me WHEN i tell, YOU i MEAN i have some out are wild stories about negotiations about nil that are just like a but just THINK au. Basket they already made the documentary with THE au. Basketball we've already seen this, show, Right it's not something that's totally. Crazy so we got to get some structure up. THERE i Think congress is going to get involved BECAUSE i mentioned earlier when you take federal, money, right they want to say right now they see that they're not getting a piece of this. Pie let's be honest with the kur. Administration i'm not getting, political but they're they're tax and. Everybody So trump's made it a thing where he's he'll get involved if they don't govern it. Themselves And trump's a football. Guy we know that from the what was the? League the okay and he tried to get in THE nfl SO i could see. Him you, know if this thing goes south again this year where it's just a complete s, show as we would, SAY i think THE feds are going to get involved because they're the ones spending money on.
Speaker 2: These schools, well and they're trying to get.
Speaker 1: Involved the problem with that red tape is that it's so bipartisan that Any republican bill has to pass Through democratic, votes and they're just not going to vote in lockstop for everything because they have different approaches of how they think that this should.
Speaker 6: Work maybe football can Save america is the only bipartisan thing left right before you get together and get some, legislation, please.
Speaker 2: Football will Make america great. Again there you. Go, Okay So, trev let's go back for a.
Speaker 1: Moment if we have any listeners right now that know of a nineteen twenty year old that played high school, football was really, good couldn't make, grades didn't have money to pay, tuition couldn't get a, scholarship or just didn't Have, look, man this is a tough game because, ultimately with the way it is, now you have to pay a ton of money for your young man to start playing soccer or basketball or football at a very young. Age and it's a very specialized situation where if you want to play in high, school you kind of have to be a part of the pipeline when you're, six, seven eight.
Speaker 2: Years, old like defensive man, baseball, dude.
Speaker 1: EXACTLY i mean my son played club. Soccer oh, YEAH i remember the first trip you had to. TAKE i was, like, Wait i'm playing thirteen grand for, That, like what's going on? Here so if you don't have the means to expose your child to a high school coach and by proxy a college, coach if you have that young man who you think has, potential you have a home for him with The.
Speaker 6: Islanders, Right AND i gotta preface this right, NOW i need a couple of big. BOYS i need some offensive, lineman, okay he's a defensive. Lineman or do need a?
Speaker 2: Quarterback?
Speaker 6: Right but when the season, ends, right it was a short, season we're done In october, eleventh we'll be having tryouts. Again and we're always looking for, talent, Right and it's get a little closer to the. Edge that's why we're narrowed down to those specific. Positions but, absolutely and not just nineteen to. TWENTY i want guys nineteen to twenty. Six there's going to be return. MISSIONARIES i got a guy's twenty three as a. Freshman this is, guys this is not. College this is pro ball. Now this is SINGLE a ball and SINGLE a. Baseball they got thirty year olds in. There i'm not saying we want that because you want to, graduate, guys, right but you know there's going to be certain That Chris wanky won The heisman at what twenty eight Twenty, yeah that was twenty five of my senior. Year so, yeah to your, point if you don't want to go to school but you still want to play, ball we got to spot for. You if you're trying to go to a bigger, school we got a spot for. You if you want to do welding and you need free welding, school we got a spot for. You how about, trucking we got a spot for. You.
Speaker 2: Yeah so there's a lot going.
Speaker 6: On, plus if you figure this personal training in, football you talked about, that how about they don't tell you if you want to really get good at, soccer your son needs to go to three days a week to a personal.
Speaker 2: Trainer that's a.
Speaker 6: Fact we are offering personal training as football, coaches it's basically a walk. On when you go To Utah state OR ba Or, utah you used to walk. On that's an expensive amount of money you're paying to play. Football you're like fifty a year to play. Football one hundred. Percent it's not that cost.
Speaker 1: Here, well and let me just say this for anybody who's listening who might feel a little, skeptical the one thing that wins in sport is, talent, period end of. Story, Okay so if you have a or if you know of a family that as a young, man if you're listening and you know a family that as a young man that for whatever reason didn't get the exposure to his high school or college, coach couldn't make, grades didn't have. Tuition if you take advantage of What trevor's, offering all it takes is one practice Where Morgan scalley shows up and, says, wait who is?
Speaker 2: That that's?
Speaker 1: It and then and then guess what they, Do. Trevor they figure it. Out if you have the, talent they will figure out how to get you into The university Of.
Speaker 6: Utah Jordan cameron remember, Him, sure, yeah, yeah he just shows up at SCI i want to, play and now he's getting. Made he'd made thirty million. Dollars now that that's a one off, story but there's a lot of those.
Speaker 1: Stories.
Speaker 6: MAN i found a guy At betos one, Time BETOS i was. Playing you can Ask Klone sataki was his. COUSIN i didn't know, It. OKAY i seen this Big tongua cat in there eating, burritos had about three of. THEM i, said, hey, bude we could use on the scout old.
Speaker 1: Line.
Speaker 6: Right that's HOW i shot, him showed. Up that was WHEN i was a sophomore in. College they called Him beatos and he stuck it out for a. While but you will find him. ANYWHERE i found a guy at, church, okay six seven three twenty, wow like two years of college community college.
Speaker 2: Basketball he's my starting left.
Speaker 1: Tackle there you.
Speaker 7: Go.
Speaker 6: OKAY i found a guy at the, nightclub all, right big Old mexican dude playing receiver at some junior.
Speaker 2: College he's playing defensive end FOR.
Speaker 1: Us great.
Speaker 2: Guy, yeah so we'll find him. Anywhere.
Speaker 6: Okay we've also found kids at other, schools so it's not just backyard. Boogie i'm saying to your, point IF i see some talent, Right i'm gonna ask a, Question, hey are you? Available, right because that's what the name of the game. Is it's the currency of this. Game, yeah if you have, talent you, have you have a say always.
Speaker 1: HAVE i, mean, LOOK i could go on and on about stories of you, know RANDOM nba people going to street ball games At Rucker park or In New york and, saying, wait who's that?
Speaker 2: Kid that's?
Speaker 1: It and suddenly he's got a college scholarship and suddenly he has a chance to Play Pro bowl.
Speaker 2: There this is not. Linear life is not a straight.
Speaker 1: Line there's not one way to make this, happen which is why the model is pretty. Intriguing let's use your upcoming scrimmage To Snow. College, okay and that's actually a real. Game, okay the scrimmage is tomorrow with the. YOUTH i keep LIKE i might probably cross.
Speaker 2: A, bit but let's go to the game that you're playing Against.
Speaker 1: Snow, yes maybe your goal Is utah or BY u OR d one OR p, four But snow is a great conduit to. THAT i, mean how many Great snow college players or ricks college players went on to play AT byu And utah And Utah. State they've been the. Lifeblood they've been the life blood of those two. Programs so if you can get with The islanders and they're playing Against snow and the head coach Of snow sees that one kid and is, like what's his, Deal suddenly you have a chance to play college football and then you'll be exposed to even a bigger.
Speaker 2: Audience And snow is playing the same teams we.
Speaker 6: Are we're actually playing better teams Than snow because at our level we're Playing Laverne, College Redlands. University NOW i say, better let me rephrase that thirty two AND d three and on.
Speaker 1: A hierarchy that they should be.
Speaker 2: Better you know how that.
Speaker 6: Goes some of these powerhouse jc's could be some beat SMALL d one and a. Player but to your, point we have junior college football In Salt lake In Utah. County it's In, harriman it's AT RSLs. Indo you know where that's. At your family built the dang. Place so we're you, know you guys are. Taxing then they're, taxes but it's a good.
Speaker 7: Deal.
Speaker 6: Okay so the key is, this if you want to play ball and you have some, talent you don't have to go To.
Speaker 2: Ephraim how does that.
Speaker 6: Sound, Yeah i've Been, okay, SPOT i stopped AND i left. Right it's a great. Place senti's from me From. Okay he's running a cattle. Ranch, Okay so to each their. Own but you don't have to go, there AND i don't do What Salt lake In Utah. County they are two of the most growing places in the. World, Okay probo has an airport that's flying direct to D. C. Yep you wouldn't have thought that twenty years, ago not at. All and so we're we're in the spot now where we're national, dude and if we join This Big, ten one of these two schools are going to be in The Big ten.
Speaker 2: SOON i THINK i think you're right about.
Speaker 1: That in another way to look at, This i'm sure we've all watched the Documentary Last. Chance you where either a football program or a basketball program from a small juco In mississippi or whatever has three or four dudes that are good enough to play At bama and some have gone on to play in the, pros but they just didn't have the same access that some of the other kids.
Speaker 2: Had it's kind of another way to look at.
Speaker 1: It Think Marshawn.
Speaker 2: LYNCH i saw flipping him.
Speaker 6: Yesterday it DEFORMED a guy on the sideline with his, Camera caaves, protector right, camera that's, right, Yeah Junior. College, Yeah, okay he's from Your, RICHMOND i think At. Oakland BUT i mean there's so many guys AND i could Just Shakey smithson All, american, Right, So Terrence, KANE i, mean there's just so many guys throughout the, Year.
Speaker 1: Garrett, Bulls Aaron, Rodgers Rogers. College.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah so everybody knows that we don't need to blame that. Point it's just now it's. Here, Yeah and now we have a Game, Saturday august twenty. Third there's no other. Game we're gonna have LIVE, Dj we're gonna have food. Trucks, right this is a twelve to ten. Event bring your, kids and it's football on A. Saturday, dude you're going to see some of these Local joe's right and the next guy's. Up, really you're gonna BE i, mean this is like. Baseball, now guys are on The East. Coast you know what they talk in The they talk baseball and spring The, yankees AND i lived in their. TALKING i, mean what's the name of the two, Guys francesca and the other. Guy they're talking spring training By, yeah they're talking double a, ball, Right and what was the movie with With Richard pryor, okay the baseball team out? There, oh come, On, porter suck the, bulls, right whatever it. Was but they're talking to the developmental. Players and so that's where this thing's at, now especially all. Gambling, right this is it's starting to be a thing now where it's who's the next? Stup, right people are making their spreads and doing all that. Stuff so we're in the we're in the. Action our goal is to send out two or three, players and we alsy as me as we can't To utah ON byu or any, school but those two First.
Speaker 1: Utah islanders dot. Com, hey BEFORE i say you. Lose Chris camaraddi was in studio yesterday From The. Athletic he wrote a piece did you Know?
Speaker 2: Greg Greg? Newman did you Know Greg? Newman knew him very? Well he knew him very.
Speaker 6: Well, Friends John, peel, MYSELF Jj, Williams Christian, cox. MYSELF i was a, freshman, Right greg had just, graduated wasn't going to play? Pro greg was. TIGHT i was tight With greg, dude real. Tight AND i got to tell, you WHEN i read the, piece it resonated and something. Clicked, okay something happened if you read the. PIECE i don't want to give it all, away but you. Can i'll let you. Expound but, yeah it was one of those things where when that whole thing, happened we were all just, stunned sick and.
Speaker 2: Stunned AND i feel for his. Family let me ask you.
Speaker 1: Did and this is a tough one BECAUSE i don't want to paint it like anyone gave up on, him because obviously he was. Unwell at what point did the group that you were friends, with as far as being tied with, Him at what point did you feel like it was the point Of because even IF i almost cried WHEN i read that his parents brought Him christmas dinner in his tent when he was living in a tent In, california so even his family at some point was kind of, like there's really nothing we could. Do at what point did it feel, like, yeah The greg that we knew is no longer The greg that we.
Speaker 6: KNEW i saw him probably my senior, YEAR i don't. Know we saw him somewhere and he was a little bit. OFF i, offer, mean he wasn't what he Was AND i called, HIM i, say, hey have you talked To? GREG i don't remember WHO i called. Him it was one of those five PEOPLE i, mentioned and they kind of, said, yeah he just seems a little. Off but just to bring it, back as you said, THAT i can't help but, think what if we had this alumni association?
Speaker 2: Better for?
Speaker 6: Sure can you imagine if we had to reach out AND i take, responsibility we should have got it got it done, earlier and you bring this up, right AND i don't, know it just makes me, think, right we don't want to have a repeat of. That, yeah AND i think we mentioned what we all need to start meeting, right figure some things. Out but, players, AGAIN i talked about healthcare, right having some healthcare right where we can afford to take care of a guy like. That not all of us are going. Pro, man and even some of those who go, pro you don't get insurance unless you play three, years and even then my insurance is. Up, MAN i got twenty. Years i'm on my own and my pension kicks. In and so you start thinking about guys Like. Newman, OKAY i call Him. Newman, okay, yeah it makes me sick AND i wish that this should have been done. Earlier so all you ex players are, listening or please send this message. Out please Contact pabl O'Connor Or Adam frye at The university Of, Utah Jesse, Boone Nate. Orchard we need you to register with. Us That spen springs up a great. Point we can't let this, happen and we got to take care of each.
Speaker 1: Other there's a lot going on right now in. Studio there's a lot going on right now in. Studio aaron Falk Salt Lake tribune joining us live for the next. Hour AND i did not tell him about his wingman today on, air formerly the producer of this.
Speaker 2: Radio, program soon to be a married.
Speaker 1: Man now with our friends at The Utah JAZZ, Jp John Paul, Chong, HELLO, jp how are?
Speaker 4: You thank you so?
Speaker 1: Much great to see, you, erin great to see you and.
Speaker 4: You this is a wonderful. SURPRISE i told you it was gonna be a good.
Speaker 8: ONE i was, terrified so, thrilled thrilled to See John paul walk through the.
Speaker 1: Door did you have any guesses WHEN i said out a surprise for YOU.
Speaker 8: I honestly don't want to say any of the things THAT i thought about BECAUSE i don't want you to know.
Speaker 1: Them.
Speaker 2: Now i'm just more, curious all.
Speaker 1: Right so that was meat LOAFS i would do anything for, Love and we're going to start with the topic as far as why we're playing. THAT i was taken to task and summarily really knocked on by a texter earlier today that said he's sick of me cracking on other people's taste in. Music so my question to both you right out of the, gates is there such a good? Thing is there such a thing as simply good? Music or is it? Discretion and it's up to the. INDIVIDUAL i feel like there has to be a definition of what good music.
Speaker 8: IS i think there is a line to be. DRAWN i think there's probably good music in all all genres that exist more or less, okay BUT i think that not every song is, good even if somebody likes. IT i do think there is there has to be a, standard. RIGHT i think there is good music within every every. Genre and maybe you, know country isn't your. THING a lot of a lot of stomp clap discourse on On twitter this. Week maybe that's maybe that's not your. Thing, okay but there is good MUSIC i think within all of these.
Speaker 4: Genres just there's a.
Speaker 1: Line popularity does not equal. Good and you guys Know i'm a stomp clap. Guy that's not a, Surprise john P john sa same question is is there like a, definition a bottom? Line, okay this is? Good or is it up to the individual's discretion life.
Speaker 4: PRINCIPLE i don't. Judge so there is no, good there is no. Bad it's all. Slop we're all piggies in the in the. Pen we're all enjoying the same. Thing it doesn't matter what you think is good is somebody else's. Trash so you, know it really doesn't matter what you, like what you don't. Like it's all the same right.
Speaker 8: Now interesting and maybe maybe for the ecosystem to, work you need you need the bottom.
Speaker 4: Feeders to eat your.
Speaker 2: Trash yes you.
Speaker 4: Do circle Of.
Speaker 1: Life, okay, SEE i forget That John paul is the only mpath in the. Studio right it's a. Fact it's good to be. Reminded takes just just. Vibes no takes just. Vibes it's good to be.
Speaker 2: REMINDED.
Speaker 1: Jp let's, uh you sat down With will recently for a wide ranging. Conversation it's still a little off season, Jazz still a little off season. Jazz as my, guy the mini van is rolling back Into Salt Lake, city a couple second rounders to Boot, boston shedding some. Salary what's the latest over in jazz land these, Days.
Speaker 4: Well it is the addition of The Mini, van you, know a little, older a little, wiser but a certain proof of concept that things can work out even if you have a limited athletic skill. Set SO i think if you're looking for an adult in the room and the pups not raising the, puffs, indeed he's the type of guy that can help that. Out but like as tongue in cheek that as that Is george being proof that you don't have to be a jump out the gym type of athlete to make it in THE nba and make a lot of money in this. League him providing a pros example helps. OUT i don't think that he'll be figuring into late game situations or. Whatever but, like the deal about this team is that it's, young and the goal is clear it's developing the young. Players and they've got three young guys in the latest draft who all have some pretty good.
Speaker 1: Potential, yeah AND i equated it like at the end Of Jared dudley's, career he was bad at, basketball but he always found jobs because coaches like that. Guy he'll show up on, time he's a, pro he'll help our young players. Play To JP's, Point, aaron it's not like maybe they went from fifteen to seventeen.
Speaker 2: Wins nobody gives a.
Speaker 1: Rip and it's also kind of a feel good story Because george was the type of guy that everybody loved no matter, what and you, know solid player or.
Speaker 2: Whatever but The minivan makes his, return what do you think.
Speaker 5: Of?
Speaker 8: It always always love a. Homecoming, however looking forward to the, discourse When george nian gets a minute that someone believes should have gone to the player and the meltdown. BEGINS i, mean a player that everyone you know really, liked loved at one point in his career here and then all of a, sudden it's just like we're onto the next that will.
Speaker 4: Happen BUT i think it's a good thing for.
Speaker 1: Him and it's go, AHEAD.
Speaker 4: JP i think the thing to understand for, fans for people who are watching the, team the young players literally can't play forty eight. Minutes it's impossible for them to play an entire. Game AND i get. It you want to see them get every single opportunity to play on the. Floor they will get plenty of. Time it will work itself out once they're out on the floor and they prove themselves that they can BE nba.
Speaker 8: CONTRIBUTING i need to see What Ace bailey does down twenty in the third quarter In february basketball.
Speaker 4: Game george can't.
Speaker 1: Play it's such a good. Point you can't. Play why Is yusuf nurkicch in the? Game put Put walker back in That will that will definitely happen with the blog Is spear tell me after sitting down With, will because, look it is a bit of a new, approach and it's one THAT i.
Speaker 2: APPLAUD i actually liked.
Speaker 1: That austin kind of came in and was, like all, right we can't get anything For clarkson. Gone you, know we'll Turn sexton into an. Asset collins has to. GO i don't know if they were too stubborn about their asking price. BEFORE i Think ace has a lot of, potential But will now has a roster that is full of mostly young. Players after sitting down with, him where's his head into the seat coming into the.
Speaker 2: SEASON i think.
Speaker 4: It's where it's been over the last couple of, years post tread, deadlines post all the moves that they, made where he's ready to keep these guys accountable and and continue to do the thing where it's if you don't, pass you don't, play play hard and pass that type of high standards to keep you keep on saying THAT i sat down with, HIM i, mean, really he was interviewing. Me it was the other way. Around if you watch the, Piece, WELL i.
Speaker 2: Saw the clip where you asked him about wearing a, suit.
Speaker 4: So he doesn't ask me anything thing at the, end and they only cut that in his interview segment of, me oh, bummer which tells you his interview.
Speaker 1: Skills, NOW i gotta go back and watch. It i'm the one that had the most compelling. Question what was the best? Question he asked?
Speaker 4: YOU i don't, know he's not at my.
Speaker 1: Level well we know, That John. Paul you don't have to make that. Obvious everybody knows that we talked.
Speaker 4: About you know WHY i got into. This who are the people WHO i liked going into sports?
Speaker 7: Media?
Speaker 4: OH i gave up a lot of plaudits to plenty of. People you didn't make the.
Speaker 1: CUT i didn't make the, cut, unfortunately but kind of person and on grod over there, ANYWAY i understand why you took the, approach.
Speaker 4: Right it would have been a sensitive.
Speaker 2: Subject Did aaron make the?
Speaker 4: Cut he did not make the. CUT i can live with.
Speaker 6: That you.
Speaker 2: KNOW i like to be in the.
Speaker 8: BACKGROUND i like, to you, know just orchestrate from off you, know producer off.
Speaker 2: Camera SO i do find.
Speaker 1: It on a serious, NOTE i find the Will angle interest in here BECAUSE i don't know that there's anybody that doesn't think he's the. GUY i haven't heard anybody say that he's not the. Guy coaches are judged off there win loss. Record he's won thirty four percent of his. Games, NOW i think anybody with The jazz understands the, deal but they're, probably if we're, honest not close to winning any more games for the next few, years maybe three or. FOUR i, mean he gets his, extension he has his safety. Blanket he's not going. Anywhere BUT i do have to wonder for a guy that seems to be such a, competitor how it lands with him that he just doesn't have the tools when he goes into a gym to compete with other. COACHES i, mean it could be six or seven years of winning thirty two thirty three percent of your, games if not less than, that and that goes on your permanent. RECORD i Just, AARON i wonder how that lands with a guy that seems to be, really really. Competitive, well Obviously John paul knows him much much. Better i've had very brief interactions with will if at, all BUT i mean it does seem like there IS i would think a cutoff for. That and you, know here's a really young guy who maybe wasn't going to get this opportunity as early as he got, it maybe, was but, here here he, is and he's willing to do the right thing for the franchise and the right thing for, ownership and that carries you a long, way and to do the right thing in a difficult. Circumstances BUT i do have to wonder at some point does that wear, off you, know and you become a little bit more jaded to your. Situation but so, far so, good and he's been well taken care. Of and in THE, NBA i mean there are guys that win games that don't keep their. Jobs so you, know win championships And coaches of The year and they're fired the next. Year, yeah it's. Fair the other you, know Market lowry today had forty eight points in twenty five minutes At you're A Basket and maybe we've all forgotten how awesome he is because he didn't play a ton last year even when he was. HEALTHY i also Wonder John paul for a guy like. Marketing, Again max contract got, paid, fine all that.
Speaker 2: Stuff does it get.
Speaker 1: Frustrating when you don't have other grown ups in the locker room outside of our guy Minivan because year, one when he Had mike here and he had A linux, HERE i mean that's when he was An All. Star and now you, know coming up the heels of a season last year where he was playing with a lot of young, kids are even more young kids in that locker. ROOM i wonder how that lands with.
Speaker 4: MARKETING i think he also knows what's going. On it's not like it's a blind conversation between him and, ownership him in the front, office him and the coaching staff with what he signed up for last year with his, extension and when he signed the extension guaranteeing him the full year of knowing what he was getting into because same plan last year that is heading into this, year which is the development the young, players making sure that they get every. Opportunity so it's not as if he doesn't know what's going and it's understandable for him to be frustrated at times about the results that are going, on but he asked. It take solace in the fact that he has a coach that absolutely knows how best to utilize. Him he's played his best basketball as a professional under this coach and a guy who absolutely understands offensive basketball and the way that the best way to Utilize Lowry markinen Is Will hardy right, now and he gets.
Speaker 1: That, YEAH i wonder what it's gonna look like this year BECAUSE i hope they let him play big. Minutes he's fun to. Watch he's one of the few players on the roster that we know. OF i, mean we'll see What ace can. Do AND i really like The Walter clayton junior. Kid But, aaron please illuminate us what The jazz have in common with the effects of bad?
Speaker 2: Deodorant you know?
Speaker 4: What can we go to the next?
Speaker 1: Question all?
Speaker 2: Right real.
Speaker 1: Quick there was A The Action network did a survey that indicates there's a large faction Of jazz fans right now that are a little bit disappointed with the price sikes juxtaposed to lack of, RESULTS.
Speaker 4: I, think AND i think that's across those.
Speaker 2: Sports.
Speaker 8: Surely, yes it is more, corporate more expensive to do anything in you, KNOW i don't care what level you're. Watching you're watching this little league Game, Utah nevada probably more expensive to attend than it was a year. Ago, like it feels like people are getting, pinched and there's, frustration no. Doubt throw that in with a team that obviously isn't competitive and intentionally competitive for quite a, while and there's going to be some.
Speaker 1: Frustration And i've always said, this AND i believe this to be, true that we have a really smart basketball. Market you, know we've had a lot of good college basketball over the, years dating all the way back to the sixties and, seventies and The jazz were very competitive for the better part of thirty.
Speaker 2: Years And John paul go to you on.
Speaker 1: THIS i just think if the direction is, crystallized fans get. It you, KNOW i don't think anybody is under any sort of premonition that they would be able to go out and Sign Paul george last year or make this massive move to bring In, durant which wouldn't have made sense. ANYWAY i think the direction Under austin has been a little, crystallized AND i think if you're a smart basketball, fan you understand the.
Speaker 4: Deal you know what time it, is absolutely you know what time it, is and you know the moves of getting off Of Jordan, Clarkson Colin, sexton replenishing the second round picks with The george And yang, move seeing what they did at the trade deadline even Before Austin in consolidating couple of lesser first for a pretty good twenty thirty One Phoenix Suns, first making sure that you're giving yourself every opportunity for big swings in the future while also keeping your powder dry and the books clean for next year in a possibility of seeing other players come. In the thing about this team and the direction that they've gone Post, donovan Post, rudy is nobody's under any errors that this is a playoff. Team they know that this is about young, Youth it's about growing With Will, Hardy it's about figuring out who are guys who eventually will be on the next great jazz. Team and those are the players that will stick, around the people who you invest In will getting that contract, extension and players Like Walker kess who had an excellent year three after a little bit of the sophomore slump in seeing him accept the challenge From will and really. Respond so those are the things that people understand and, get AND i understand the. FRUSTRATION i understand that there's a lot of consternation over ticket, prizes, whatever but the idea is, clear the path everybody, knows and there's alignment from ownership on.
Speaker 1: Down let me ask you, This John paul so training. CAMP i, mean we're gonna, blink it's gonna be here five six weeks. Away what which players have you seen so? Far like who is stuck? Around obviously they all go to certain places to work out in the off, season take some time, Off but how many guys have you seen? Here are their off season workouts going on right? Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah there are touch points all over the place with the young. Players everybody who's who's had. Youth keyante has been, In Isaiah colliers has been, In he's back. Home But, walker you see every once in a while come back in to market and the group of players that in their draft, classes they've gotten a really good foundation and and just camaraderie amongst each. Other kyle Phil poussi's in there as well with his group Of cody And. Isaiah they have these little clusters around their draft classes that it's really cool to see because they all they all know that this is kind of special that we're all being allowed to grow. Together we're getting the college experience that maybe we only we didn't get because we were one and done's or For kyle it was a two and. Done but still you're allowed to almost have a college atmosphere where everybody's young or around the same. Age it's not Like Kyle philpowski Or Isaiah collier is taking time away to spend with the. Kids, no they want to play video. Games they want to have and have the same interest as their.
Speaker 2: PEERS i was.
Speaker 8: Going to, SAY i was thinking trying to, think does this feel like twenty thirteen when people were excited about you, know or four or. Whatever you're, five and maybe you sort of knew what you had In Gordon hayward and you were looking for these other guys it feels kind of like that in some, way but even, younger Like i'm with, YOU i Mean lowry's, Side like there's there's No Marvin, williams there's No Richard, jefferson you, Know, nondrospiedrin, Right like this feels way younger to.
Speaker 2: Me, yeah well it, is.
Speaker 4: RIGHT i Mean Ace bailey is the ultimate example of. That he's eighteen years. Old, Yeah AND i remember going To rutgers to see him And Dylan harper Because i'm a boots on the. GROUND i know you.
Speaker 2: Are we all know you, Are.
Speaker 4: Johns SO i was pounding the pavement Like Adam sandler and hustle AND i, mean the Best Adam sandler movie out there right.
Speaker 1: In conversation On. Netflix that's that's for, sure there's no.
Speaker 4: Doubt and first PERSON i see Is Ace bailey on a scooter riding around, campus enjoying everything that college basketball is all, about every enjoying, college enjoying the college.
Speaker 2: Electric it was it was.
Speaker 4: Electric it wasn't the acoustic, version but it was a scooter that he's going from his on campus dorm over to the facility and he's going just back and forth between the arena of the facility and his. Dorm that's what he.
Speaker 1: Does, no it's it's funny BECAUSE i, think And i'm guilty of this. Too oftentimes we'll forget how young these players. ARE i can remember the night After DONOVAN i think it was The pelicans When donovan dropped his forty as a. ROOKIE I i was going home from the game AND i stopped At maverick And donvin's in there with just some dude that he lived with At Fourth west and he's getting some. Candy AND i walk up to, him, like, hey, congrats, man that was. Awesome what do you doing? Tonight and he's, like we're going to Play call Of. Duty we're just going home to. Play and this Was Donovan mitchell as a. Rookie he wasn't, eighteen but what are? Twenty they're going home to play some video, games put on the, jacks and eat some you, know Some snickers ice cream. BARS i think we forget how young they are really, truly because we watch him play and we believe that they're grown.
Speaker 2: Men these are young. People it's gonna take some.
Speaker 4: Time can't understand the, zoomers you? Know are you calling me a?
Speaker 1: Boomer? INDIRECTLY i feel like you. Are, No, okay you've got. It you still got your finger on the. Pulls i'm doing my. BEST i have a young son that keeps me up to. Date he's about to turn twenty. Four before we catch a, BREAK i apologize in. Advance ali sitting, There oh, YEAH i knew this would come. Up, WELL i, mean we got a minute or. So we're not going to blake out a. POINT i know this is Your luca. Trade, yeah she could be The Star team nine for the national team next year and The royals the first iteration of The, royals ten thousand plus, fans Multiple World cup, stars second IN nwsl and. Attendance you're the, voice the, voice what's happening over.
Speaker 4: There it was definitely a shocking, trade and it hit me when you see that it happens that they're getting six hundred thousand dollars across three years Or ali Sent, noor who definitely deserves to make That World cup roster come. Up but in the aftermath seeing them get a one one draw To, orlando who's this fending champions in the entire league and seeing them they're playing, tonight can always get your. Tickets Utah royals Dot COM kc tonight at eight o'clock At America First. Field but when you talk to people around the club and you hear exactly the plans of what they want to do Post ali sent nor, trade they say they want to invest in the club in trying to bring in people around what they already, have which right now can only go up their fourteenth place in the entire. Table so the hope is that that six hundred thousand dollars will be spread across a couple of players rather than just going to one and hoping that that helps the depth for this. Team but it definitely was a gut punch to lose one of the brightest young players in all Of american women's. SOCCER i said on this very, show the best number nine in the, state and it hits you once you see or not on the. Team but hoping that it turns into a little bit more in trying to find that foundation in year two of an expansion.
Speaker 1: Franchise, so speaking of investment in, Soccer aaron The millers open up the, Checkbook Kurt schmidt, Cooking we've got a Little Rawan. Cruz we saw the debut the other, night thirty minutes In League's cup In Victor. Olatunji so two players that can Help pablo in the. Attack unbeaten in nine to, Ten trey will let you know they've gone from thirteenth to eighth in The west with these. Additions are we going to see playoff? Soccer And Sandy? Utah it feels like it right.
Speaker 8: NOW i MEAN i think that maybe out of sheer, necessity and you, know with The annelly injury shout out an eat bench story.
Speaker 1: That.
Speaker 8: MIDFIELD i mean to see ruit How ruiz has come on And ojeita and they figured some things, out and now you put some talent up, top because you, Know peel not going to cut. IT i gotta had some, moments but again probably not top end. Talent so it does feel like they have found something on the back, end and now if you can just put some pieces up top, that, yeah they should be able to get into a playoff that.
Speaker 1: Wide royals in action, TONIGHT rsl back in action On sunday Against New york The.
Speaker 4: Royals Playing Kansas City current And ali Sent ali's back in. Town ali is back in.
Speaker 2: Town, wow juicy.
Speaker 4: Matchup then the storylines right themsel they.
Speaker 1: Do and So apparently we cannot have it for A friday because you're working. Tonight that's, right, Okay Aaron, Falk John paul CHUNGA Jp Liven. Studio like any good, coach it's time and update the game plan for a healthy green. Lawn as the hot weather continues this, month make sure you're USING Ifa step Three summer Lawn food for healthy turf that stays green in every. SEASON Ifa step three Lawn. Food it's the ultimate lawn owner power move AT. Ifa coming up, Next John paul breaks Down utah's offensive. Line so keep it here ON espn seven hundred.
Speaker 9: Set you're twenty two days to kick off For utah football right here on your home of the U cspn seven hundred and ninety two to one F n presented By Cam.
Speaker 1: Klad and you'll have to illuminate me as to what this stump clap debate was going on on social, media because this is a great example of a stomp and clap song that's also Very edward, sharp right. Alrect, Yeah so what was the?
Speaker 8: HULLABALOO i think it just a lot of young people saying this is the worst song ever.
Speaker 4: Written.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 8: Yeah it encapsulates a period and a feeling that they, find you, know disingenuous and, gross and they hate.
Speaker 4: It disingenuous and. Gross they also hate we are young by. Fun they hate they hate a lot of things.
Speaker 2: The young, people these are gen. Zs is that what it is?
Speaker 4: Like i'm not going to argue with seventeen year olds On.
Speaker 2: There's no Reason, twitter nor should.
Speaker 4: You people who have no life, experience no, thanks what do they? Like Benton boone.
Speaker 8: Perfectly will age, flawlessly and no no children after them will ever have a problem With Benson boone doing backflips in a in a one piece.
Speaker 1: Little Benson boone FACT lds no longer right, right whent to u b Yu Idaho for a, MINUTE i did not that's another little Known.
Speaker 8: Benson BUT i feel LIKE i feel LIKE i think maybe this is maybe this is a b Y u and b yu ido. Thing BUT i would bet you the percentage of people that can just do backflips at those schools is higher than almost any anywhere else in the, country for.
Speaker 1: Sure and if you were RAISED lds at all road shows and such profounding. Singing my father this day wishes we had some family, band but none of us had the great musical ability that he was hoping we had so shout Out Benson boone on A, Friday Aaron FALK Jp John Paul chunga the original producer of this, program even though he does not acknowledge it when he's asked about it.
Speaker 2: Anymore all, Right.
Speaker 1: Aaron in about an, hour a young man Named Jason batakiao will be our guest on the.
Speaker 2: Program he COVERS U taugh football for you guys over the.
Speaker 1: Trip interesting year for a number of different, Reasons and the Way i've kind of framed it is the pressure last year was steeped in the fact that everybody thought they were going to win. IT i feel like the pressure this year is steeped in the fact that there's a community that's wondering whether or not this program has adjusted to the new normal of college football and what it's going to look like because was last year a moment in time or has the program changed because the sports. Changed so as we Approach utah football three weeks from, tomorrow but how do you perceive this season is kind of a you, know landing with the community wondering what it's going to look. Like, YEAH i MEAN i THINK i SEE i see what you're. Saying you, know the great Can Ken Kyle whittingham thrive in an nil? Era you know which is you, know we're not taking three stars and turning them into four year players.
Speaker 8: Anymore it's just not how that's going to. Work and so can he? ADAPT i get. THAT i honestly feel like there's a lot that it feels like last year all over, again you, know like the the for whatever reason we've we've kind of just written this thing off that. Happened the expectation is they should compete for for A big twelve. Title and SO i, MEAN I i think that there is that pressure. Again and then then the question is, like Is Devin dampier power for?
Speaker 4: Good?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah and the pressure is going to come down to the quarterback. POSITION. JP i know you stay locked on to the utes even though your head is. Elsewhere i'll tell you. This Dane, brugler my guy from The, athletic released his top five offensive tackles in THE Nfl draft.
Speaker 2: Today Spencer fono, Two Caleb lomu.
Speaker 1: Five what's your confidence level that this is the best offensive line The utah football has ever?
Speaker 4: Had the big, uglies the trenches where games are won and.
Speaker 1: LOST i know that this is your bread and, Butter So i'm just going to lay out and you break it.
Speaker 4: DOWN i think that it's pretty entertaining to watch from afar How utah fans react to the truck stop conference of The Big, twelve how the adjustment Of pac twelve The big twelve football Is and my entertainment value in the sport in seeing the local college teams is how things can shift just on a. Time how last YEAR byu was on cloud nine points with how well that they were, playing And utah was absolutely in the opposite. Direction so, look this year is going to be pretty interesting because you have some a quarterback who absolutely we don't know if he's power for good because he was doing it at a smaller college at a different.
Speaker 1: Level, well and you, KNOW i understand the nature of being a, fan and you know the nature of being A utah football. Fans you've had a generation of a very high, standard but some of the EXPECTATIONS i find extremely. Unfounded we don't even know who the wide receiver is going to. BE i, Mean Coach witt was asked about it this. Week he laid out a couple of names The Tobias meriwether kid is six, five two hundred or. Whatever but you look At devn's passing numbers a year, ago they weren't. Great but let's move over here for a, second because you KNOW jp is talking about like THE pac twelve, transition and for about maybe fifteen, Years utah football all had the momentum compared to WHAT byu football was going through because they're. Independent there was this, weird like six year period Where Chase, Hansen Britain, covey like kids that played in the backyard OF byu stadium whose family names around buildings were all playing For. Kyle BUT i don't know if it's an. IL i think part of it. IS i think the other part of it is they're both in the same. Conference. Now it does feel like some of the, momentum if not a lot of the, momentum has shifted about forty miles down.
Speaker 8: South, YEAH i, MEAN i, think, yeah a few. Things but To JP's, point it shifts so. QUICKLY i, mean you look back to there was there was a Moment, again they have. Momentum they're rolling trucks out onto the turf at Rice ecles AND byu is a poverty, school, right that's the perception they'll never do, it and then in a very short amount of. Time it takes a couple of interested people to rally and to turn. THINGS i, mean look What Texas tech has. Done it takes a lot of, money, yes but it only takes a few people with a lot of money to shift fortune and shift it. Quickly SO i feel like we're going to be seeing a lot of back and forth here as as these two, rivals you, know their their donor base SAYS i can't be, outdone or you, know LIKE i think it's going to be back and. FORTH i think the other thing going FOR byu at the moment is that it's big backers on basketball probably free up money for football and in a way That utah does not have at the. Moment, yeah they're having to split their their revs share and figure that, out WHEREAS, ua you can come way over the top with basketball and il and then maybe figure out football after.
Speaker 1: That what do your metrics say about interest in both BY.
Speaker 2: U And utah.
Speaker 1: BASKETBALL i, mean Hiring Alex jensen appeared to be a little bit of a shot in the, arm and if we're going to be fair, here we talked about The Jazz rais and ticket. Prizes utah men's basketball tickets have been shot through the roof as, well and without results anytime. Recently that's a tough pill to, swallow but it feels like alex is infused a little bit of a sidement in the. Market and What kevin has Belt LIKE i always hesitate to say IN, jp you, know this's you're a college hoops. Guy it's it's hard to, say like that's A final four team because it's the nature of that tournament for great teams to be eliminated every. Year LIKE aj sprains an, ankle some random upperclassmen hits ten. Threes b why he's out in the second. Round but on, paper this is the best basketball team they have ever. HAD i firmly believe. That how what sort of interest does college hoops drawing me up right?
Speaker 8: NOW buyu has, OBVIOUSLY i mean just a ton more. Interest they have won some wins under their belt, already you, Know sweet sixteen a year, ago and then a unicorn you, know just doesn't. Happen number ONE yep recruit in the country ends up In, utah, Right, utah it's just Got they've got to. WIN i, mean, Yes Alex jensen coming back invigorates the fan base a little bit in terms of what people are gonna read or care about or listen. To they gotta. WIN i mean you know. That that's as simple as. That, YEAH i gotta.
Speaker 1: Win it's gonna take some, time all. Right BEFORE i say you guys LOSE, jp let me ask you About frank passing To Frank. Layton we Lost frank a couple of weeks ago at the age of ninety. Three you're obviously with The Utah jazz. NOW i don't think it's hyperbolic to say he's the most important figure in jazz. History there are other names on that, List Larry, miller, me. Others but anything anything planned this year for The jazz tun or the life Of Frank, Layton.
Speaker 4: Yeah there are things in the works that'll certainly be out in a couple of, Months i'm sure closer to the regular. Season there was a special put up on YouTube From thurle And craig talking about the impact Of frank because he was such a giant figure in the, market not only for, basketball but for evangelizing this. Place because who would have imagined a person From brooklyn would come here and enjoy it so. Much. Yeah, yeah to the point that he becomes a mainstay in the. Community i'm just glad just person to one have met, him but two that THE nba acknowledged him a couple of years. BACK i think it was The Raptors finals where he got The Kirk Goudi award and he was able to go out there on the. Floor people gave him his flowers and he was acknowledged as THE nba figure that he was because a true pioneer of basketball who came to a place that did not have pro hoops at that. Point the only place that it had it was The Utah, stars and eventually they packed up and left because THE aba went and merged with THE. Nba but it was him that set the table for the finals runs for every good memory That jazz fans have because of that, Man Frank, laden keeping things together and keeping that franchise afloat in the early.
Speaker 1: Years, aaron same. Question you were with The jazz for a while AND i would imagine you had several interactions With, frank so your thoughts on his life and.
Speaker 8: Legacy, yeah it got a chance to sit down with him for an interview WHEN jp AND i were both working at The jazz and you know so many stories it takes forever to get, into like the the work you're going to do for the, interview because he wants to tell you. Everything AND i, mean the thing that comes to my mind right now is just like outside of maybe maybe a player or maybe a coach along the, Way, like were there people that didn't Like Frank?
Speaker 4: Layton was?
Speaker 8: That was there a period of sports talk radio that was like we got to get rid OF i, DON'T i just. DON'T i can't imagine. It it's like he's so universally beloved and you, Know Jerry Sloane university Of, love but obviously would have would have rubbed some people wrong along the. Way this guy an, Angel like it's it's really a pure thing to have in this community and in this.
Speaker 1: Franchise yeah, no well, said great to see you. Too hope you had a great trip a few weeks. Ago hope it was.
Speaker 2: Fun you didn't make it all?
Speaker 4: Right next?
Speaker 1: Time, yeah next, Time i'm gonna leave my instant commentary off the air for that.
Speaker 2: One have a good call, Tonight John, Paul good to see, You, Aaron.
Speaker 1: Aaron Falk jpechanga brought to you today by our friends At Game.
Speaker 2: Day men's Self.
Speaker 1: Ketos means thank you in, finish expressing. Gratitude Keto's, brewing a locally born, brewery expresses that gratitude with every poor from Their Great American Beer Fest Gold medal Winning Blondeale Coffee Cream, ale The BlackBerry, sour which is the best selling sour In, utah to the only true gluten Free ale In. Utah there's something for. Everyone taste for yourself at their, taphouse downtown bars around the, city grocery stores or local liquor, stores or can be found At keto'sbrewing dot.
Speaker 2: Com All.
Speaker 1: Right special ths To aaron falk AND Jp John Paul JUNGA, jp the original producer of this program nearly six years. Ago we turned six next, week which is pretty. Exciting both of them live in. Studios appreciate their. Time Trevor riley stopped by. Earlier we'll kind of reset What trevor has going. On we Have Paul pugmeyer for a little. Golf The Tour championship rolls along. That Jason batakia covers The university Of utah for The Salt lake but joining me in studio once again is my Friend jamie From Keto's.
Speaker 2: Brewing, jamie how are you doing?
Speaker 1: Well how are? You i'm.
Speaker 2: Good it's great to see.
Speaker 1: Us so let's start with what you brought me, Today this tropical haze.
Speaker 2: Ipa is this a new creation of yours over?
Speaker 10: There A.
Speaker 4: Keto's we make a rendition every.
Speaker 10: Year this is our newest rendition and it is the newest one to be released in the grocery.
Speaker 2: Store, okay tell us about.
Speaker 1: It, SO i mean the name would indicate it's an ipa that tastes.
Speaker 2: Tropical is that? Fair?
Speaker 10: Yes and it's also hazy based on The hazese part of the.
Speaker 2: Name there we.
Speaker 1: Go so what sort of tropical flavors.
Speaker 2: Are we in for here?
Speaker 10: TODAY a lot of, mango, pineapple those kind of tropical.
Speaker 4: Vibes do you get.
Speaker 1: Good reaction to the fruity? BEERS i feel like it's like you either love it or you hate.
Speaker 4: It huge.
Speaker 2: Reaction, yeah this one's been very. Popular most people like. It what's more?
Speaker 1: Popular the tropical haze ipa or the pickle beer that you brought in.
Speaker 2: Last week.
Speaker 4: In the taproom or can.
Speaker 1: Shop let's say tap room pickle. Beer Canshop. Tropical, okay what's the other beer you brought? In, okay what's that one?
Speaker 10: About it is a traditional Lite mexican, lagger so like A pacifico or A.
Speaker 1: Corona, Okay, okay like A. Pacifico.
Speaker 2: Okay So Keto's.
Speaker 1: Brewing you have one location for, now six oh Eight west seven hundred south Herein Salt.
Speaker 2: Lake head on. Down let's hone in on that one for a.
Speaker 1: Moment got a storefront right where people can come in and buy. Cans then you've got a basically a bar in the. Back is that?
Speaker 10: Right, yeah we have a tavern with a full liquor. License we have a pin ballroom so we host a lot of pinball tournaments nice and we also rent out the brewery house for events.
Speaker 1: And more information At ketosbrewing dot. Com now you have undertaken quite a. PROJECT a lot of people excited for The sugarhouse right. Now if you've not been there, recently it's under.
Speaker 2: A tiny bit of, construction just a little.
Speaker 1: Bit but when that thing is, DONE i think it's going to be great and you guys are going to be a part of.
Speaker 2: It let's hear the progress for The Sugar asse.
Speaker 10: Location we are weeks away from. Opening we are so close to getting this thing.
Speaker 1: Open is it going to be similar to your spot downtown or is it going to be pretty different.
Speaker 10: Different it's going to be a full, bar it's not going to be a production, facility and it's going to be a little bit boogier boogier mm.
Speaker 2: Hmm including like maybe a food menu of some.
Speaker 10: Sort, Eventually, yes we'll have some, food but it's going to be higher end, cocktails high end, spirits higher end, wines things like.
Speaker 2: That very.
Speaker 1: Nice what is the best and worst part of this process of opening up a new?
Speaker 10: Place the best part is THAT i get to be a part of this awesome project and help build out this. Thing the worst part is being a part of this project building out this.
Speaker 1: Thing is it similar TO i, mean it's not entirely similar to building a, home but if anyone's ever built a home or renovated a, home you know that time frames are just thrown out the, window.
Speaker 10: Right, Yes and we don't own the, building so a lot of it was waiting on a landlord that unfortunately took our money and ran. Fun so it took a long time to get foreclosure in a repossession and a new, buyer new, landlord and to start the process all over.
Speaker 1: Again but we are making progress and we're getting close to opening the, spot getting very very. Close, okay do you have an address.
Speaker 10: For us fifteen thirty Three, south eleven hundred, east, ooh just north Of. Finns prime, location very very great. Location we have neighbors stopping by, daily very.
Speaker 1: Nice. Well always great to see. You thank you for the tropical hayes. IPA i shall enjoy this and we will see you. Soon, right sounds.
Speaker 4: Great thank you.
Speaker 1: Our Friend jamie From Keto's brewing. Again the location that's open now is six o'a west seven hundred. South they are working on their sugar house location that will be open in a matter of, weeks so definitely check them.
Speaker 2: Out support our good friends At Keto's.
Speaker 1: Brewing Happy, friday to you go celebrate A keto's right here ON espn seven. Hundred ketos means thank you in, finish expressing. Gratitude Keto's, brewing a locally born, brewery expresses that gratitude with every poor from Their Great American Beer Fest gold medal Winning Blondale coffee Cream, ale The BlackBerry sour which is the best selling sour In utah to the only true gluten free ale In. Utah there's something for. Everyone days for yourself at their tap, house, downtown bars around the, city grocery stores or local liquor, stores or can be found At ketosbrewing dot. Com championship season in the world of professional golf on THE Pga, tour we find ourselves AT Tpc South, wind not, Literally i'm In Salt lake in the, Studio, Memphis, tennessee Where Tommy fleetwood is looking for his first career win on THE Pga tour after going low the first two rounds sixty three sixty four minus thirteen year leader in the. Clubhouse let's talk some golf for our next, guests our Buddy Paul. Pugmyer you can hear them Every saturday morning talking golf on the. Radio mister Pug, meyer how are, you?
Speaker 5: Sir doing? Great thank You, spance.
Speaker 2: Appreciate the time. Today so let's start with the.
Speaker 1: Format, Okay so what should our listeners know about where we're at in a multi tiered, phase how many golfers advance onto the. Championship what's at stake here at The FedEx saint you.
Speaker 5: Championship, sure there's a whole just a train load of. Money that's the most, thing the most biggest thing that's at, Stake and we can talk in a minute whether that matters to fans of the game or. Not but it is The Tour championship that they are playing their way, into and the playoffs are a three, tournament three week progression starts with the top one hundred players on The FedEx. Points they keep their card for the next, year but it's the top seventy who played their way into this, event The FedEx that's played In, memphis as you, say, so only the top seventy are. There after this week they will cut it down to the top fifty in, points not the top fifty finishers this, week but the top fifty in points for the whole, season and they will move on to a course Near baltimore for THE Bmw, championship and then following that tournament next, week the top thirty again in points will make it To East lake In atlanta for The Tour. Championship and then once you get to The Tour championship at East, lake then it is just where do you finish that? Week and the winner of the two of The Tour championship at East lake will win The FedEx. Cup and this is a playoff system that has undergone many iterations and many format. Changes they are trying to get it. Right and we can talk if you want about how close they are or, not but that's where they are as of the.
Speaker 1: YEAR i do want to talk about whether or not they're close to getting it. Right but before we do, That, paul you said the top seventy golfers are in this. Tournament that is not the, case my. Friend the top sixty nine golfers are in this tournament As rory McElroy has elected to. Sit. NOW i did not know. This this has happened. BEFORE i Believe tiger And Jim furick elected to top out because they were in a good position as far as points to play in The. CHAMPIONSHIP i think it's it was the Mal Naughty Kid Peter malnatti And Jordan speith were asked about, this and it's not just what they, said it's how they said. It it doesn't seem like it's sitting well And rory could use a little good. WILL i know he's obviously had an amazing year because he completed the Career Grand, Slam but he's also acted like a baby at times when it come to his media obligations and.
Speaker 2: Such what do you make Of rory sitting?
Speaker 5: Out, well he earned it and he's certainly within his that's right given this format to do.
Speaker 7: It and you're you're.
Speaker 5: Right it is the top sixty, nine the top seventy got. Invitations how's? That But rory very clearly had the right the ability to do this because he sits at number two in the points and the math is pretty clear and. Straightforward he will move on To East lake regardless because because he has enough points from the season so. FAR i think it is all kinds of crazy town that they can't get the playoffs. Right, look Major League, baseball THE, nfl THE, nba THE, nhl THE, Ncaa you and me and everybody, listening we all know what a playoff. Is we all know how they work and how they. Don't the only people who don't seem to understand this are THE Pga tour and they can't quite figure out how to just have win and move. On make the top fifty on that week and you move to the next make the top thirty that, week and you move to the Next it's staggering to me that they don't seem to be able to figure it. OUT i actually it's pretty self evident why they're doing it that. Way they're trying to assure that the big sponsors at the end of the year get the big name. Players they're trying to assure that the big name players make it To East. Lake but that's the same As Major League baseball trying to assure that it is A Yankees Dodgers World, series or THE nba trying to assure that it is A Celtics LAKERS Nba. FINALS i love it And i'm, interested AND i watch When milwaukee's in THE Nba. FINALS i don't understand why THE Pga tour can't figure that. Out but that's where we. Are and the way to fix this is so simple and. Obvious Ask virginia if losing in the first round of THE ncaa playoffs matters when you go in as a number one, seed you show up to the first, game or else you don't move. On and that's the very simple. Fix you just Tell roy and everybody else you made the. Playoffs you want to get to the end of the. Playoffs you have to play the, playoffs, simple fixed.
Speaker 1: DONE i tend to agree without having the knowledge you. Do let me ask you. This you reference the money that's on the, table which is just stupid.
Speaker 2: Money and, obviously.
Speaker 1: When you're playing for that kind of, purse it's going to be important for golfers to. Participate but does The FedEx cup hold any other intrigue outside of?
Speaker 2: Cash like is it a coveted?
Speaker 1: Trophy is it A i, MEAN i know it's a weird thing to say because it's The FedEx, Cup but does it have the same appeal as like winning a major other than the money that you?
Speaker 5: Make great? Question and it. Is it is a totally valid and active. Question and the simple, answers, no it. DOESN'T i, mean ask, anybody ask. Yourself would you rather win A major or The FedEx? Cup take A major all day every?
Speaker 1: Day?
Speaker 5: Now do you want to win A FedEx? Cup? Heck, yeah it's a cool. Thing and the money not just taking the money out of the equation saying you're A FedEx cup, champions it means that you're the season long. Winner you won the. Season that's a thing that's a big. DEAL i personally think it would be a bigger thing and a bigger deal if The tour would have made it real playoffs from the, beginning and the players and the fans and everybody, knows you win that. Thing that means you got through the. Playoffs that means THAT i go back, to for heaven's, sakes when The giants kept The patriots from having the perfect, season, right The patriots had this, great, great great, year one of the best Ever Super bowl champs where The giants thank. You and that's the way playoffs should. Work AND i think everybody would love.
Speaker 1: It Do and this might be a dumb, question BUT i have no problem asking dumb. QUESTIONS i made a career out of. It after The tour championship which ends on the twenty. Fourth now this year is different because we have The Ryder cup At bethpage In. September but once this series Ends FedEx Bmw Tour, championship we, see, well do most of the big dogs just take the rest of the year off or do they pick and choose maybe one tournament, here one tournament.
Speaker 2: There how does that?
Speaker 1: Work, well they.
Speaker 5: Totally take the rest of the year. Off and that's by. Design and the salient number is. Fifty if you're in the top fifty as of the end of the, playoffs you have assured that you are in the elevated events for next, year and you have assured that you are in all of the majors for next year and the players as, well so you're in every big tournament if you're in the top. Fifty The FedEx Fall series a series of seven tournaments that include The bank Of Utah championship At Black desert In. Utah that's part of The Fall. Series those seven tournaments are used to determine the final standing for the top one, hundred those people who get a tour card for next. Year so it really really matters to those players who are fifty one through one hundred and fifty as they try to jockey for position to have a, card to have their job for the next. Year and it's really. Interesting it's compelling human. Drama it's really good. Golf but it isn't brand name. Golf if you, will it. Isn't it isn't the top shelf players those are all in the top, fifty and they will they will generally in most every case skip The Fall. Series there's a couple of exceptions to that a couple of years, Ago Saheith, tagala who was in the top, fifty played in one of The Fall series events that was At silverado AT, Napa, california because they had helped him get started in his, career and he did it as a personal thank you to the tournament. Organizers but it's the, exception not the.
Speaker 1: Rule so you alluded to WHY i asked you the, question which is to move over to THIS pga tournament that we have in our state as it is the it's a new. Sponsorship it is The bank Of Utah. Championship last year was The Black Desert. Championship i'm not knocking on any of these. Players matt McCarty is a stick he. Won Lucius glover's a major. Champion Harris english is a name that people. Know AND i could keep going down the, list like there were fine players here last, year but none of the big dogs made their.
Speaker 2: Way my, Guy Nick taylor of The field shot On Nick.
Speaker 1: Taylor so based off of what we saw last year and based off of how you just explained what happens after the tour championship, bends what's a reasonable expectation for the field this year down To Black.
Speaker 5: Desert, well look at The FedEx cup standings and start at fifty and go down from. There and immediately there's a great name that jumps off the page at all of, this and That's Tony, fenal who is oddly outside of the top fifty right. Now he's currently sitting at number. Sixty, now he could play his way in if he has a really strong weekend In memphis this starting, tomorrow or if he has a really really good week up In, baltimore he could play his way into the top. Fifty but right now he sits at, sixty and so then the question, becomes does he play in the local tournament and try to play his way into the top. FIFTY i don't, know but it'll be fun to see AND i hope he. Does Ricky fowler at number fifty, eight is in the same. SITUATION i want to See Ricky fowler, play and so he would he would certainly get that kind of that kind of. Buzz he would make that kind of buzz. Happen FORMER Us open Champ Gary woodland at seventy, two he's in that kind of. Discussion, so, yeah there's some really terrific players who would be in that. Group Adam scott at. Ninety who doesn't want to See Adam scott play under any, circumstance any, course any. DAY i want to see him The. Uh so there's some great players who are going to potentially be in that fifty to one hundred. Category holy. Cow Jordan speith is the bubble. Boy he sits at number fifty right now, today and so it will you, know maybe he maybe he slips over the weekend and maybe he decides he wants to play in The fall series. Tournaments maybe he comes To Black. Desert that would be. Fun it would be. Fun all, Right back over to the here and.
Speaker 1: NOW i always like to ask you about the COURSE Tpc South, Wind, Memphis. Tennessee, paul tell me about the.
Speaker 5: Track it is another of THESE Pga tour OWNED tpc. Courses it's a parkland.
Speaker 7: Course.
Speaker 5: Uh they tend to be reasonably short parkland courses that that are that are designed to take it to handle a big. Crowd there's a lot of amphitheater seating around these around the. Greens and they these are courses that they can through very standard usual, means they can make them play. Soft they can dry them out and make them play. Hard so far this, week it's not been playing too terribly. Difficult you see an awfully lot of holes where the main drill is to get the ball in the fairway because the rough is. Healthy and so Far Tommy fleetwood has driven the ball better than the rest of the field and he has a four shot lead on the field going into the. Weekend there is not a cut this, week only seventy players in the sixty nine players in the, field and so they don't need to make a. Cut and there's a whole bunch of players stacked up AT t five AND mt. Two so even Though tommy has a four shot, lead the nature of this course makes it gettable and for players who put their t shot in the, fairway and that's the thing to look for this. WEEKEND a player driving the ball on the short grass is going to have an. Advantage so, far it's Been tommy fleet with this.
Speaker 1: Week so let's Give tommy a little love. Here you, know golf fans obviously know who he. IS i, Mean ryder cup star star you know over In, europe but has never won A Pga tour, event and he seems like one of those. Guys and we do this in other sports where it's Like John, Stockton, carmelone they're too good not to win a. Championship you, know you could go down the list of players that were great no other sports that have never won a. Title And tommy just feels like he's, due, RIGHT i, mean he's had several. Opportunities this would be quite a splash to win your first with that kind of person on the. Line but what are your thoughts On tommy not just in the, lead but in the lead by, Four and what does he need to do over the weekend you get his FIRST Pga tour.
Speaker 5: Win, well first of, All i'm cheering for. Him tommy is eminently likable in every way for a dozen, reasons one of which is he's got a ton of. Game he is so good and you're so, Right how in the world has he not won a big tournament ON us. Soil, now he's won plenty over In, europe and as you, mentioned he is A Ryder cup. Beast but holy, cow you've got to win in The. States your career simply is incomplete if you. Don't and, THIS i hope this is the WEEK i would love to See tommy wind and what he has to do is keep putting the drive on the cut. Draft if he keeps playing the driver the way he has played at the first two, rounds he will. Win if he starts spraying his, driver if he starts having to hit second shots down of the, rough people can catch.
Speaker 1: Him while we're talking about first time winners on, tour you, Know Cameron young is also another golfer THAT i, think you, know burst on the scene as a rookie and everybody's, like, man that dude's got a ton of. GAME i think the number is like ten top or twelve top tens and like seven runner ups or something crazy like. That and he breaks through last week at The Windham championship and runs away from the. Field and another one that just feels like a long time. Coming, yeah for a kid that's got a lot of, game.
Speaker 5: A heck of a lot of. Game and he especially he comes down of the Metropolitan New york area where it is the amateur game is hyper, competitive and he dominated. There so, yeah how has he not won until this Last that's been a big question on the. Tour he hits the ball a, mile he generates a ton of, speed he's a good. Putter, well he finally broke, through And i'm very very happy for him and completely. Unsurprised but the thing that's done about that is that it puts him on the cusp of on the border Of Ryder cup. Conversation and especially If Captain Keegan, bradley who currently sits at ten on The Ryder cup, points if he opts not to choose, himself then it opens up a spot for somebody Like Cameron young to be on The Ryder cup.
Speaker 2: Team All, RIGHT i got to check with. YOU i KNOW i do this all the. Time But keegan Continues.
Speaker 1: Paul keegan, Continues, man if he qualifies via, points should he? Play should he? Should should he? Play and captain if.
Speaker 5: He qualifies via, Points i'm becoming willing to oh to maybe bite my tongue on to him.
Speaker 1: Playing but but but choosing.
Speaker 5: HIMSELF i JUST i REMAIN i think that would be such a bad. Choice now he knows more than, Me But i'll tell you there are people who do know about, this most Notably Trevor, immlman who has been captain of A President's cup. Team And Trevor immelman just, says you cannot begin to imagine how much there is to do and the pressure associated with. It as the, captain it is a more than full time. Job So immlman thinks That bradley should not play Period. Egan bradley has two thousand points to make up to qualify on. Points he would have to win at East lake in order to do, that but he.
Speaker 1: COULD i beat you in a, Submission, Paul i've asked you all. Year we finally got you to admit that it would be okay if he qualifies that. Way, hey while we're in the space of kind of conversations about, things you, know they're little bit. INTANGIBLE i was surprised to see the reaction To Scotty scheffler's comments and this is a little bit yesterday's news when he basically said golf isn't a source of fulfillment for, him and you, know and, LOOK i think stuff like this fascinates me BECAUSE i don't Think scotty would say that if he was like fifty second in points and trying to make like the fact that he is at the top of the sport and the fact that he's won almost everything you can win at such a young age colors this contextualized in a pretty interesting way to. Me, now when it comes to athletes in any, sport it's always interesting to me how they, achieve what they, achieve and where they find. Motivation, NOW i was raised with the generation of athletes THAT i felt like had a proverbial chip on their shoulder all the time and use things that were wild to be motivated to go out and be, killers to compete and. Win you, Know Darren williams used to talk all the time about how every time he Played Ray, felton he wanted to just Kill Raymond. Felton i'm, like, dude you were drafted higher than, him you went to a fund. Like he always talked about How Ray felton was recruited to play college Basketball carolina And carolina never looked at, him and it was one of those fights where you're, Like, darren you won that fight ten years.
Speaker 2: Ago yet he always found this.
Speaker 1: CHIP i feel Like tiger was the type of competitor that wanted to slit your throat and watch you.
Speaker 2: Die And scotty just isn't that.
Speaker 1: Guy And i'm not saying it's, good, bad and, different right or, wrong but, man did that get a lot of. Reaction how did you Digest Scotty scheffler's comments a few weeks ago about how you know the fulfillment in his life he finds it it at home with his wife and, kid not on the golf.
Speaker 5: COURSE i thought it was something we already knew About Scotty, scheffler but he said it in a different. Way he said it coming off of a major championship win where he Smoked field at The, open and so the context of it. CHANGED i think our. Attention BUT i Think scotty has said this in different ways at different times more than, once AND i think other players have said, it and it's you, know good Land Jack. Nicholas he said at the beginning of his, CAREER i will never play more than two weeks in a. ROW i will never be more than two weeks away from, home and he missed tournaments that it made sense for him to play in because he lived up to that throughout his. Career tiger softened when his kids got older and when his kids started doing things you're you're sure right early in his, career step on your throat and watch you, Bleed but he changed as he got. Older Phil nicholson made it very clear to THE usga that he would leave THE Us open mid, round if his wife went into labor and this was A Us open that he ended up finishing second, in and he missed A Us open because his daughter graduated from high, school and that's just the way the schedule. Fail so there's a lot of precedents for this kind of. Thing But, scheffler we've known about this in his character from the. Beginning it really WAS i think the REACTION i think was more about those of us paying attention than it was About Scotty scheffler and his view of, it BECAUSE i think he said it to us before.
Speaker 1: Well and, additionally McElroy himself not too long ago said nobody can compete With scotty When scotty is Being scotty. Like and AGAIN i hate to Invoke tiger, here but there was always a feel of intimidation that felt different With. Tiger BUT i don't Think scotty needs to have this stone cold competitor attitude to have that. INTIMIDATION i think his game speaks for. HIMSELF i think no matter like If Scotty scheffler shows up at a, tournament it feels like the rest of the field, knows like we've got to beat that, guy regardless of what the approach.
Speaker 5: Is absolutely and you, KNOW i love the comparisons Between scheffler now And. Tiger it's his. Height scheffler still has a little bit of ways to go to reach Where tiger was at his, Height but, boy, howdie he is on his. Way he's got a foot in the. Door and the. Look you can cut across two dozen different stats and compare, them and they're all interesting and they're all. Instructive but there is one element Of scotty's game And tiger's game that everybody, knows everybody in the field, knows and that is That Scotty Scheffler tiger woods they don't give strokes, back which means that every time somebody in the field makes a, bogie they know they've lost ground That scheffler is not going to give back to. Them they have to go make it up. Themselves and and that is really really hard to. Do but that characteristic in the, game in the management of the, game to never give strokes, back that's what Sets scheffler. Apart that's what Set tiger. APART i, mean holy, cow everything That tiger did and yet he never once was on a fifty nine. Watch he never was the guy who went stupid. Low he was always the guy who never gave shots, back and that's what made him so unbeatable because everybody knew that if they gave a shot, Back tiger wasn't going to go with. Him they had to make it up, themselves and you just couldn't. Overtime so, anyway so that's Where scheffler, is AND i think you make a very good. Observation he knows, this he knows that his game is in a place where they have to come get, him and so, yeah he's got a lot of freedom to be very very clear what he's thinking about.
Speaker 1: Things So, Tony tony f now through two rounds sixty, nine sixty, eight and we would all love. That so it's not like it's like it's weird to try to analyze where he's at because he's played well over the first two, rounds but it's kind of like a microcosm of his entire, Year, Like, okay it's, good but it's not good enough to keep up with your. Peers he's tied for twenty five at three, under so, again a solid start For, Tony but what are you expecting to see from him over the? Weekend and what do you make of the latest with just simply how he's.
Speaker 5: Playing, well this is simply how he's. Playing and, look we all know That tony can go off at any moment and throw down a sixty. Two we know, this but the reality is he hasn't been doing it this. Year and the thing that's interesting to me mathematically about where he sits AT t twenty five is that he's right there in the top third of the. Field, well that's where he is in The FedEx points for the. Season he's in the top. Third he is showing us this week exactly what he's shown us all, year and it's a heck of a good. Life let there being no. Mistake but he is not doing what's necessary to be in the mix On sunday. Afternoon that's very, clear.
Speaker 1: All, Right. Paul BEFORE i say you, LOOSE i always like to kick the tires on who can win the, thing And tommy might just run away because he has a four stroke. Lead, however he has a four stroke lead Over Colin, morikawa who is a very very good. Golfer O sha goes low with sixty. Two Justin, rose a well, respected Probably hall Of fame, golfer and then you've Got scotty at seven. Under so you, Know, scotti the group at seven under is six strokes. Back But Scotty, Scheffler Scotty, scheffler how many people left standing you think have a chance to win the?
Speaker 5: Thing If Tommy fleetwood continues to hit the ball into the fairway LIKE i was talking, about then nobody. Does but having said, that you were correct to Identify modakala And Rose Kurt kittayana really solid player and he has the ability also AT t seven With Scottie scheffler Is maverick. McNeely McNeely is is a heck a good. Player McNeely IS i am really sure he will be on The ryder cut. Team and so those are the NAMES i would be looking at the. Most but everything is contingent on Whether fleetwood continues to drive the ball in the.
Speaker 1: Fairway all, Right, paul it's coming up on the show tomorrow and then we'll set you. Loose appreciate.
Speaker 5: It, Yeah so tomorrow On Utah Golf, radio we're going to be going deep On Patrick, fishburn you, know on A byu In. Ogden he had a Great Sunday saturday And sunday a great weekend last week at The windham after making the cut on the, number and there was a story behind that as. Well there's a rain. Delay they came Back saturday morning and he Goes bertie Par birdie to make the cut on the number and then he has a great weekend and plays his way from one oh six into ninety five and makes the top one hundred at the end of the regular. Season really really incredible play. There we're going to be talking about, that and we're also going to get to Know Emily, hoffman who is new To utah and comes down to The university Of texas and the THE Epsom, tour and this week she won The Utah Women's open at The Country club Of Salt.
Speaker 1: Lake very. Nice, paul will have a great show tomorrow and enjoy the weekend in the.
Speaker 2: Tournament we'll chat, Soon thank, you.
Speaker 1: Sir look forward to.
Speaker 2: It thank, You.
Speaker 1: Spencer all, Right Paul. Pogmyer The FedEx Saint Jude championship going on right now THE Tpc south Wind course In, Memphis. Tennessee are you went to? GOLF pga update is brought to you by It you went to golf not to be? Redundant you can dominate the tea with TITLEIST gt medals and experience faster speeds with, longer straighter. Drives and you went to golf in worldwide Golf shops dot, Com Tommy fleetwood is your leader in the clubhouse thirteen under par after carding a sixty four. Day Colin Mori coow And Oxha batilla as well As Justin rose or nine. Under Justin rose is through. Sixteen play was suspended due to. Weather Earlier Kurt Kadiama andrew novaciate under. Par then you Find Scottie, scheffler But, Collie Jacob bridgeman And maverick McNeely at seven under, par Jj, Spahn lud Big Oberg, Seewoo Kim zepstraka And chris Kirk all at six.
Speaker 2: Under Wyndham clark at five under.
Speaker 1: Par our local Player Tony fenow with a couple of solid, rounds he's tied at twenty five at three under.
Speaker 2: Par All, right the questionnaire is.
Speaker 1: Obvious Did Jason, batakiao who was a young did he go with simple plan or is this something you chose?
Speaker 3: Yourself this was this was just a callback to our uh our conversation. Earlier Simple PLAN i THINK i think you can win tickets on the show on the station this week.
Speaker 1: Somehow all, right, YEAH i guess you got to listen To sean show for, that, Right, yes, Okay, Jason jason just, kids SO i guess it plays.
Speaker 2: Me, yeah now that.
Speaker 1: Works we Had jason's bosson, Studio Aaron folk, earlier And Jason batakio makes his tround for return to the program on A.
Speaker 2: Friday, Jason Happy, friday. Man how are you good?
Speaker 7: Man how are you guys?
Speaker 1: Doing we're. GOOD i gotta know as a young what's on the uh what's on The Apple Music spotify playlist For Jason batakio these? Days that's a good.
Speaker 7: QUESTION I i honestly have a mix of a lot of. Things i'm A i'm a bit of a boldy at. Heart i've been listening to a lot of outcasts, lately Some Mini. RIPPERTON i know that sounds crazy coming from a twenty three year. Old drake's been in heavy rotation, Obviously Kendrick, LAMAR i know that's a pretty hot. Topic, yeah, honestly a little bit of. Everything. YEAH i like some country here and. There you know My oklahoma, roofs so uh, YEAH i don't, know just anything that comes on the. Playlist, HONESTLY i, play but those are the things that come to mind for. Me i'm sure you're pretty. Sure talked about The Mini. RIPPERTON i was too WHEN i started listening to. It not gonna lie so.
Speaker 1: Only jason only respect For Minny. Ripperton you lost me At. DRAKE i am. Anti i'm not A drake.
Speaker 7: Guy, Okay, Kendrick kendrick.
Speaker 2: Loves love me. Some kendrick just not A DRAKE i never have.
Speaker 7: Been, Okay, okay what's your Favorite kendrick?
Speaker 1: ALBUM i have to, Ask, oh you gotta go all the way. Back i'm gonna have to look it up because mostly his old stuff when he First because my my, SON i raised my son on hip, hop BUT i am A i'm like a nineties hip hop you, know tribe called Quest day lost soul, type and SO i don't listen to a lot of new. Stuff but When kendrick, dropped my son was, like you, gotta you, gotta you gotta listen To. Kendrick SO i listened to a lot Of kendrick's early, stuff but not so much as of.
Speaker 7: Late, Yeah i'm a big, trap cold quest and A dela soul fan as. Well my my friend put me on BECAUSE i was a BIG J dilla guy AND i got no clue. That, yeah so, yeah, yeah those are some of my favorite. Artists but enough of the. Artists i'm sure you guys are here to have me on for other.
Speaker 1: Things so, well not at, All. Jason you have to, understand AND i remind people, this we have four hours of airtime to, fill so we can talk about hip hop like all, day because we Were we were debating a question earlier AND i got folks take on. This do you think there is such a thing as just good? Music is there like a definition of good music or is it left to The is it left to the discretion of the. Individual, yeah that's a good.
Speaker 7: QUESTION i think there's bad. Music LIKE i feel like if you play bad, music they're the majority of people will tell you it's bad. Music BUT i think good music is up to the discretion of the, individual, honestly because you, know everybody has their own little genre that they. Like you, know some people are our country, lovers some people are hip hop, lovers some people LOVE r AND b and so, YEAH i don't, know BUT i feel like a really bad song you can, tell, like that's just my opinion and maybe maybe there's the one person that really likes a horrible. Song BUT i don't. KNOW i feel like people are usually in agree and so of like that's a horrible, song but good, songs you. KNOW i don't. Know it kind of has some variance to, It SO i don't. Know that's a good. Question, yeah really philosophical. QUESTION i like it, though love.
Speaker 2: IT i love.
Speaker 1: It, yeah your boss and Friend Aaron falk kind of had a similar. Response so all, right now we'll move over into the scope Of utah. Football, jason as we're three weeks away tomorrow from opening, day let me just get your, feel just your overall feel general. Feel as you've been up there witnessing as much practice as they allow and interviewing as many people as they allow you, to it feels, like and maybe this is just this time of, year there's a tremendous amount of optimism and positive energy is a TERM i hear a lot from players and. Coaches what's your feel just as far as Where utah football is at three weeks a from the, Opener, YEAH i.
Speaker 7: WOULD i would agree with you on. That it feels like things are more positive than they have been in a. While and that's not to, say you, know past iterations of the teams have not been, positive but there's just kind of a feeling of, unknown but also a feeling of like. HOPE i would, say you, KNOW i THINK i Think devn's brought a lot of renewed energy and leadership of this. Team you, know it seems like he's he's like the guy And i've not Heard kyle rave about somebody more than him all fall. Camp you, know obviously the defense is going to be the, defense you, know Way Sean parker's obviously been hyped up the past few. DAYS i Know utah fans saw that highlight clip of him running over like three defenders into the end, zone and so, YEAH i would say the same. Thing it's it's kind of like a renewed, energy you.
Speaker 1: KNOW i Think kyle.
Speaker 7: Feels that, way you, Know and so, YEAH i would agree with you on.
Speaker 1: That when it comes To Devin Devin, dampier you, KNOW i WAS i was surprised At big twelve media days that the optimism for what he could be seem to be a consensus. Positive like ultimately he's jumping up a level in. Competition ultimately it was twelve TD's twelve picks through the, air and ultimately he's my. Size he's like five, ten five, eleven you.
Speaker 10: Know.
Speaker 1: Like but But, jason from my, standpoint everybody is expecting and believes that great things are going to happen with. Him do you share that? Sentiment do you share that? Optimism, YEAH i.
Speaker 7: Would Say I'm i'm relatively high On. Devin you, KNOW i think the turnovers are an, issue and they were an issue last. Year obviously that has to be cleaned, up especially in the pick. Twelve but you, know he has the capability and the, NUMBERS i mean are. There there's only BEEN i think four or five other quarterbacks that have done what he's. Done you, know two from my Alma, Moterate, Oklahoma Jalen hurts And Kyler. Murray and you, know when you're on the eschelon, statistically obviously was in The Mountain west and you, know we know what The Mountain west is is a. Conference but you, KNOW i would say, that, yeah there is a lot of. OPTIMISM i think now it's just you, know the river's got to meet the road, somewhere And utah fans will really see if the hype is what it's supposed to be with. Him but you, know when you have a quarterback that can run for a thousand yards and pass for twenty five hundred yards and do it at a high, level obviously there's there's a lot of room for. Optimism but you, KNOW i think the other thing that coaches and the players and just kind of the vibe That i've gotten from People i've talked to is, like he's he's a tremendous. Leader you, know he's somebody that is just not a me. Guy he's you, know he's he's taken everybody to. Dinner he you, know he knows he's one of those guys that knows everybody's name on the, team you, Know AND i think that's encouraging just from the perspective of being a. Quarterback you, know you want somebody that can rally the. Troops you want somebody that you know can can build that trust not only on the, field but off the. Field and so that's kind of been you, know obviously we can talk all about you, know his, passing you, know turnovers need to be cleaned, up or you, know he ran for a thousand yards but when we're talking about pure, INTANGIBLES i think his leadership and just his ability to you, know form relationships with the players this year has been something that everybody's talked about and you, know so, YEAH i would say the feeling is. High you, know we'll see what happens this. YEAR i THINK ucla will be a really good first test for, him especially going Against nico and and you, know a former five star quarterback in. Him so, YEAH i would say the vibes are high right, now but we'll see where it goes for.
Speaker 1: Sure so, ULTIMATELY i, MEAN i don't know if it's The northeast in. Me i'm just skeptical about everything and. Anything so you, know it's just kind of like a like The missouri, motto the show me. State so so the REASON i bring it up in that, Context, jason like who who's he throwing the ball?
Speaker 4: To?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 2: Who?
Speaker 1: Who is kind of stepped forward out of this wide receiver group because even If Zach williams didn't, transfer there was still questions, about, uh the depth of what that room was going to look. Like But zach is in southern cal FOR, Usc so tell me what your understanding is as far as the way this wide receiver group is is, evolving and whether or not you have confidence that he's gonna have the weapons he needs to do what he needs to do in The big.
Speaker 7: Twelve, yeah that's a good, question you. KNOW I i think there's a lot of skepticism in the wide receiver. Room And kyle's even noted that just even in the first two weeks of camp is, like you, know that's the biggest question mark That utah has added into the, season even even with or Without Zach. Williams but a few names have thrown a bit floating. Around you, Know Tobias merryweather obviously as somebody who is six,' four can, you know run a four to. Fourth split, you know he had decent Success At notre dame and, You Know i'm i'm blanket on the. Other school he Went to gosh but, you know obviously been to. Two schools, he said you know this week that he Came to utah for, you know a, star role and it seems like he's he's rising to. The top outside, of him, you know we've heard a lot About The. Adrian zipper, you know a guy that's. A returner, you know it seems like he's a making headway a lot of. GOOD catches i know a lot of fans Saw That Pastor isaac wilson to him where he, you know pulled out some of the toe drag SWAG as i would call it in my young gears caught a ball diving on the on. The sideline so those seem like the two guys right now that that could be, you know risers for number one and, Number two but outside, of that it's really, you know up. For grabs creed a. Little more he's, you know somebody that, has size came FROM, the sec was a four. Star recruit we talked to him a little bit. This week, You Know ryan davis IS. A vet, you know he had seven hundred plus receiving yards. Last year, you know he's Somebody that devin's. Familiar with so there's a chemistry already. Established there, you know you could throw him in. The slot and, SO yeah i Would say Tobias and zipper are kind of the the two guys that seem like they're rising. Right now but it's it's still it's still a Question and i'm sure we'll learn more. Next week just with With the saturday scrimmage that you know what is, going On and kyle will open up a. Bit more but, uh yeah it's it is a question mark, for sure but, you know it kind of just depends on who wants. To rise and, YOU know i think you taws in an. INTERESTING position i mean if if they don't have receivers they can. GO to, I Mean dallan bentley is a good. Tight end obviously limited action last Year Because brent keithy was there And And carson ryan who's now B. Y u, You Know hunter andrews is a GUY that i feel like they, can trust. You know there we've heard a Lot About jackson. Vanny already he's a, you know a. Walk on so it sounds like they're they're going through all their Options and kyle's not going to allow them to have, no options. YOU know i Mean, When lander barton and smith snown are going to be receiving options, NEXT year i don't know if that's a bad thing or a, good thing but it seems like they're definitely trying to figure. It out so that's probably the Positive for utah fans.
Speaker 1: For sure, well said and, you know this isn't a trade that's exclusive to. Coach with most great coaches want to control, the trenches and they want great offensive lines and great. Defensive Lines and kyle's had some great, offensive, lines man and great offensive linemen have gone to, the pros, you know and we could go down the List Of garrett bulls and, et cetera, et cetera. Et CETERA but i don't KNOW that i can remember as much hype Surrounding a utah offensive line as we're seeing. This Year dane Brugler From the athletic released his summer offensive tackle rankings as far AS The nfl, draft goes and coming in at Two as spencerfano and at Five Is. CALEB lomu, i mean two of the top five Tackles in america to a, draft ANALYST who i think does a really good job played For this University of utah. Football team and surrounding them are really talented veteran players. As well so what sort of buzz are you hearing about this? Offensive line and how beneficial is It for devin to have these big dogs?
Speaker 2: Up front.
Speaker 7: It goes all the way back to the winter. Transfer portal, you know, you know you hear these guys are getting offers, you know, one million two MILLION from, sec schools, You know big ten schools here. Or there and that's kind of when my my radar started pining, as, like oh these guys are legit because, you KNOW when Sec and big ten schools are thrown, around money obviously they have a lot, of money but, you know when they're thrown around money, LIKE that, i mean, you know it's it's for, you know not for. No reason AND so i think the hype. Is legit, you know they're both extremely, athletic tackles and, you know IN the, nfl systems we Have a kyle Shanahan or sean McVay who loved using the zone read and guys, in Space And jason beck has said multiple times in fall camp and even in the spring that he plans on using both those guys. In space, YOU know i think that's just a plus and just shows the level of upside that both of those. Guys have And for devin and Even Way, SEAN parker i think it's just. A benefit, you know if if the passing game doesn't work or it's, you know not to the Level that kyle wants it, to be then you run. The ball and we saw big twelve Offenses Like arizona state last year Who Had camp scata boat and they ran. The ball they ran the ball over and over again and it almost led them to a Win over texas In The College. Football playoffs so, you know it's it's obviously. A plus and don't forget about the interior offensive. LINEMAN either, I mean jared comps to a. Proven veteran, you know the two guards that they have are also, proven veterans and they're also showing up on mock. Draft boards so, You know i've heard some people tell me that this is a maybe the best offensive line you thaugh. Have had, You know I'm not i'm not going to make any lofty predictions that will bite, me BACK but i would say it's definitely. Up THERE and i Would say Spencer and caleb definitely have a chance to be two of some of the best offensive Linemen in, utah history just based off of, you know what people are saying about them in the intangibles that they're. Currently displaying, so yeah AND like, I said i think it Just. Benefits DeBie, you know who doesn't want To all. AMERICAN tackles i think any quarterback would ask for that at any level of. College, football, so yeah.
Speaker 1: You Referenced Washan, wyshawn parker who had a really nice freshman Season for wazoo over five yards. Per carry wasn't their primary but still nearly went for eight. Hundred yards came out and you wrote about, this recently said he wants to wants to touch that fifteen hundred. Yard mark UTAs had seventeen running backs over one thousand yards during their story.
Speaker 2: Football career so.
Speaker 1: Tell me about what you've Seen from wasshan and then expand the conversation into the room entirely some other names maybe to watch out for. That, position yeah that's a that's a.
Speaker 7: Good point, You know wayshawn is just an extremely, physical runner but he's, also shifty and that those are two traits when you can combine them together in a. Running back you know boats. Very well You know utah have had really good, running BACKS but i don't know if they've had somebody that's also shifty and. Extremely PHYSICAL and i mean we saw the clip that, was posted, you know a day or two ago of him just running. OVER defenders, i mean, you know if he can stay healthy and Him and devin are what people say. THEY are, I mean I think i think the sky's. The limit, YOU know I don't i don't know if fifteen hundred yards will be, uh uh, you know if he'll be able to. GET that, i mean there's only Been three utah players that have ever done that in history if my stats, are correct and please correct Me if, I'm wrong but, YOU know I think i think the sky's the limit. For him, you know he seems like, a great. GREAT kid i, say Kid and i'm. Twenty three it's kind of funny to, say that but, you, know yeah he seems like just as as people have talked About. WITH devin, i mean the. Potentials there, you know he ran seven hundred and thirty five yards and as a as a Freshman At, washington state Alongside jah mattyr was also a dual. Threat quarterback and so, you know we'll we'll see. What happens, You Know nacari rodgers is somebody that has been kind of, floating around, you KNOW but i think, BEHIND him i mean there's there's a breadth of running backs that can kind of. Step up, You know utah has has Very sing glory who, you know is a. Four, STAR obviously i don't think he'll get, playing time but, you know somebody with talent. Behind Him devin green is. Coming in he was a he Knows, way sean and so there's a lot of guys that can kind of step up and, you know take on a, you know a. FEATURE role i Think way shan will be the, feature back but if you need a third down or, you know back to play different and you know you can do that in. This offense, SO yeah i think we.
Speaker 1: Were all operating off the Assumption that isaac would be the backup after getting some time as a freshman and, you know certainly it didn't look great and it's hard to put a lot of that, on him but because, you know true freshmen don't often play, very well certainly at. That position he was thrust into Duty because cameron couldn't. Stay healthy but he had opportunities to, go elsewhere elected to, come BACK and i figured that was because he would at least be. The backup but it seems like there's a lot of buzz around The bird fickland kid Who, like devin can make plays with his feet in, a Way and isaac's not awful, at that it's just not he can Really Those wilson boys can just really throw. A football so how real is this battle for the? Backup quarterback and where do you think we are at right now in?
Speaker 7: That, RACE yeah I think kyle said. It best it's a, dead heat, You KNOW and i think at this point last year we Knew that isaac was going to be the backup and it was over Veterans Like brandon Rose with patari and Then Even sam hubert who now WAS. At, usc yeah but it, seems Like like, kyle said it's a. Dead heat, you know obviously two different style. Of quarterbacks, you know if if you're gonna Look at, BECK system i mean bird is is a dual. Threat quarterback, YOU know i would have hesitation personally about throwing a true freshman. Out there, You know isaac has, more experience but, you know it's this is what journey. Camp's for it's to see who who rises at. The top AND so i think it's a. REAL competition i think we'll know more next week based off of you know What what kyle and the coaching staff see In the. Saturday scrimmage but it's up for GRABS AND i i could see it going, either way, YOU know i wouldn't be surprised if It. WAS isaac i also wouldn't be surprised if It was bird because just you know the level of play that he's he's had as a freshman AS a, i mean. He's talented, You know kyle has just said he had a, Live arm so you know it's a it'll be interest thing to see.
Speaker 1: For Sure Nate, johnson jason once upon a time was here and received reps as a starting quarterback as a result, of injuries because there for a couple, of years everybody was getting reps at starting quarterback.
Speaker 2: Because nobody can.
Speaker 1: Stay healthy he leaves and he, comes back and one thing we know is that he. CAN burn i mean he's a. DYNAMOT athlete i don't know that he's. A quarterback i'm not sure that he'll be used. That way but what have you seen so far in your limited opportunities as far as how you think they're going To Use nate johnson. This year.
Speaker 7: He's a swiss. ARMY knife i mean they can use them in any. Way possible, you know they've lined him up, a receiver, you know they. Shoot it maybe he could play some. RUNNING back, i mean if push comes a shove and you need, a quarterback, YOU know, I hope i'm sure you taught fans hope it doesn't come. To that but, you know he's a guy who's played snaps. The quarterbacks, YOU know i think you can put him everywhere except for, offensive, Line honestly and so, YOU know i think it's up to the coaching extent have to kind of figure out what they think is best. For him but he is, an athlete, You know he's somebody who is, a burner and and, you know if you get him, in space you can make plays with. The BALL and i think that's what brought him. In for AND so i think it'll be an opportune based approach or opportunity based approach would probably be the best way to. Say that, BUT yeah i. DON'T know i honestly. DON'T know i can't answer THAT because I think i think he is just going to Be A swiss army knife and whatever they feel in. The moment, You, know nate go line up at, Wide receiver go line up at, tight end go line up. In quarterback, YOU know i think it'd be interesting to See In nate Johnson a Devin dan pier. READ option i would be fascinated to see how. That goes, you know can you imagine those two athletes beyond this? Offensive line so, YOU know I think i think It's a it's an open play look for him, for Sure.
Speaker 1: Right jason before said. You lose, you know around here we always say you don't really worry About a utah defense With Coach waitt morgan scally as. A decordinator but they did lose two key Pieces As kanu kanavas Is a Cougar And cameron calhoun Is A. Crimson tide how are they replacing those two before you say, You, lose.
Speaker 7: Yeah Obviously Leaky vi Maha and dallas you know are rising in the defensive. TACKLE room i probably just butchered, those NAMES so, i apologize. You know and in the, Cornerback Room Smith Snowden. Scooby davis, you know those have been the two names that have. Flowed around and, You Know blake cotton is obviously a GUY that I think utah's, high on, you Know and Shreef saw as mentioned that his depth this year at cornerback is is much better than it was at. Any point, SO yeah i, would say when You have smith and when We have scooby at the. Cornerback position, you know you're not really worried about the, quarterback spot Especially when sharif is, saying that, you know his depth is as good as. IT is i think the defensive tackle spot is is an. Interesting question, you know they brought in two guys from the transfer port total, for DEPTH but I think keanovaso is gonna be hard. To REPLACE and i know that's Hard for utah fans, to Hear but keanu was really good whenever he was playing. Last year obviously he was injured for a large portion of, the Season But junior tifuna is going to be hard to replace. As WELL but i, Think defensively utah has sean years and years, you know over and over again that, you know they've been able to replace, guys with, you know guys that have been, you know marinating on the depth chart for, multiple seasons and so, YOU know i think people will have questions, about it but you know they'll they'll probably rise to the top again just in terms of, you know guys that they've developed over and, over again and, so YEAH but i do think the portal does make. It interesting, you know when you do lose Guys like keanu And And cam cahoun and you know you expected those two guys to be starters for you and now. THEY'RE gone i mean it's always going to raise. Question marks but, You know utah is known for. Its defense last year they struggled against. THE run i think that's the biggest Question for utah this season is just, you know how are they going to manage to run Defensively the big twelve for a? Second season, so.
Speaker 1: Yeah where can everybody go find?
Speaker 5: Your?
Speaker 1: Word?
Speaker 7: Jay, uh yeah go, Look up Look Up. Jason batakio IT'S j A S o N b A t A c Ao. On google you can find, me there or you can follow Me. On twitter Even though i'm not A big twitter guy, RIGHT now i have BEEN told i need to, tweet MORE so i just don't like that. App sometimes but you can follow Me, On twitter jay UNDERSCORE B A t A C. A o i'm definitely trying to post more so you'll probably catch me on there a little bit more during. The season, so yeah that's where you can.
Speaker 1: Find me thanks for, the. TIME buddy i have a. Good, Weekend, okay yeah.
Speaker 7: You too appreciate.
Speaker 1: You, guys Yay some batakia Covers the University of utah For The Salt. Lake tribune we are three weeks away from tomorrow opening day for, the youth opening DAY, For byu opening Day For. Utah state college football is right around, the corner. All right wrapping it up the final segment of the program for both the day and the week HERE on espn seven hundred have been a. Fun week, next week when we crack, the mic will be under three weeks away from college Football FOR, Utah Byu, utah state and of course nationally. As Well The Utah Little League world series team lost Earlier. To nevada we've got a tri state battle right now between my, Home state connecticut and the home state that people from my home state wish they Were From, New york Connecticut One new.
Speaker 2: YORK zero i always found.
Speaker 1: It weird we'd be It Like jones beach at a concert, Or Something jones Beach In. New York and i'd have a friend who'd like approach. A girl she'd, be like where are?
Speaker 2: You from you can?
Speaker 1: Banned concert chances are chances are It. Was dave chances are it was fish maybe string. Cheese incident if you want to get deep in the jam. Band CATALOG but i have a friend talking to. A girl she'd, be like where are. You from you'd be Like. New york, i'm, like, dude no you're not. Stop lying You're. From connecticut do not say You're From, new york. You liar it's a pet peeve of mine when People From, new york or, excuse me People from, connecticut, like hey where.
Speaker 2: You're from, it's, like, OH no i grew Up In.
Speaker 1: New, york no you didn't.
Speaker 3: Stop lying why are You Suptweeting donovan mitchell on your way out.
Speaker 1: Of Excellent poll Greenwich's Own. Donovan mitchell that would be like you, saying, LIKE oh i grew up in the Heart Of park city kind of but you're.
Speaker 2: Close enough but you're Not A park.
Speaker 3: City, guy yeah, that's, like really A park city is like the closest thing that anyone knows to. My TOWN so i oftentimes actually say that BECAUSE if I Say weber Canyon, or, oakley like no one's going to Know where i'm from unless they grew up in. That VALLEY SO i I guess i. DON'T know i STRUGGLED because i have Told people I'm From park city Or Just salt, Lake like i'm from, around HERE but i understand. We're tribal you didn't say anything about my bump.
Speaker 1: Music either who? WAS that i didn't know WHO was hoodi That. Was, hoodie yeah it was actually a. Decent bump it's a. Good, SONG well i only know a good band in fair it's not a.
Speaker 2: Good band i've seen. Them live it's not a. Good band.
Speaker 1: IN fairness i do not celebrate their. Entire catalog but we did learn a, lesson Today and i'm going to internalize It and i'm going to. Be, Better no, i'm not but i will. Be, KINDER no i won't about other. People's choices i'm a. MUSIC snob i am an admitted. Music, snap yeah and. That's okay after, THE deal i think. That's okay you kind of, are. Too.
Speaker 3: Though, yeah no let's let's be. Very clear i'm a. Music snob it's just, different again it's just. Different TASTE and i think my music snobbery is. Good music but some people don't like to listen to a ninety two year old man who has written one thousand and fifty songs on a stool singing like, another, Song Right, willie nelson my guy a lot of People Are, willie NELSON dut i get it Still, good.
Speaker 1: Okay to each. Their own so the texture that send in the Text during shawn's are and. Of grievances thank you for. YOUR feedback i will take it to HEART and i will continue to knock on your horrible taste. Of music, All, right porter before we get out of here and celebrate our weekend started out the? Right way what comes? Our way On a monday edition of.
Speaker 3: The show On a monday edition Of, the drive, of course we'll we'll recap. The weekend it Was Real. SALT lake i got some baseball over. The weekend we've got some preseason football over, the weekend so we'll.
Speaker 4: Get to all. Of That bill riley maybe on the show On.
Speaker 3: A Monday brett Ciancia of Pick six previews will stop by The Program amy donaldson for an. Entire hour we'll ask some Sound From Utah fall camp after. The weekend so a bunch to get to On.
Speaker 1: A monday there, you go so join us For a monday show that will be a. Fun one we'll say good night For a friday edition and special thank You To, Ever Riley, AARON Folk, Jp Chunga paul Pugmeyer And jason Batakio fun. Show today if you missed any, of it check it out over the weekend on. Your time go to THE website espn seven hundred sports, dot com download our mobile app and take us on. The go, and, then finally for what we do in our space every afternoon for, four hours check out our. Podcast page become a supporter and help us out, by subscribing rating. And reviewing we all ask you to do it because it helps. Us out if, you do say nice things in. The comments give us all. The stars have a. Great weekend be good, to yourself be good to. Each other, For poortims fen say. Good night we'll talk to you On a monday edition of. The program, as always you can catch out right HERE on espn seven hundred ninety TWO. And ffm we are proud to be Part OF Utah's Espn radio network