Speaker 1: But I didn't know John, you were such an Anglo file, such a monarchys.
Speaker 2: Well, whiskey, come and take my pain, the moneys my brain, Oh whiskey.
Speaker 3: Don't why think alone when you can drink it all in with Ricochet's three Whiskey Happy Hour. Join your bartenders, Steve Hayward, John You and the international woman of Mystery, Lucretia, where.
Speaker 2: They slapped it up and live it? Ain't you busy on the should tap?
Speaker 3: Got agive me and let that whiskey go? As Emily Lttella might say, what's all this about birthmark citizenship?
Speaker 2: Hi?
Speaker 3: Everybody, it's the three Happy Hour special double episode for the July fourth holiday, and we're flipping the script today. We're gonna do all of our usual nonsense about sports and with key and other silly stuff at the end, and we're gonna get right into our subject and to introduce these subject today, we're further splipping the script and scrambling things. We're going to let the newspaper of record in America that are known as the Babylon b introduce our subjects. And so Lucretia, will you queue up our first consideration of the end of the Supreme Court term with a couple of news report from the Babylon B.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go from least good to better. Okay, Supreme Court rules any baby born at Olive Garden isn't an Italian citizen. You're not laughing, are you?
Speaker 2: John Well? I was right? Keep going? All right?
Speaker 1: How about I like this one winning? Trump now rules entire world as Supreme Court declares everyone is American? Is that enough for now, Steve? Or do you all?
Speaker 3: There's more? There's come on, You've got to get the one about his investigation and Clarence Thomas right.
Speaker 2: Hand.
Speaker 3: There's okay, I I know what they are. One was President Trump orders investigation into who appointed Amy Coney Barrett.
Speaker 1: Oh, that wasn't a Babylon B. That was me I sent you.
Speaker 3: Was that it? Okay? And then the other one was what was it? Trump proposes constitutional amendment to name Clarence Thomas all nine seats something like that was.
Speaker 2: Trump Trump calls for one trillion dollars to clone Clarence Thomas.
Speaker 1: They didn't know that was all having to do with the birthright citizenship case. I thought it was that he was solid on everything that happened in the last two weeks.
Speaker 3: Well total, well there is that, yes, well all right, let's open it this way. So listeners, we're going to take up the birthright citizenship case Trump versus Barbara. You would think Trump against someone named Barbara Trump would be the easy winner, just because right, but whoever Barbara was. And then we'll go through some of the other hot button opinions of the last couple of weeks, as Luke refers to them. But the birthright citizenship one is the big one. And you know we've argued about this before, and rather than going through the arguments about you know, good idea, bad idea and all the other stuff. I am struck by the descent from Justice Thomas ninety one pages. And I still haven't got through the whole thing, but I think it's a warnburner John. I mean, I don't know if it's as long as descent ever, but it sure seems thorough to me. I mean, I'm gathering you've been through it, John, and what do you make of it? Are you persuading on any points to rethink your own pro birthright citizenship position?
Speaker 2: No, I don't agree with the Justice on this. I do find that the case is closer than a lot of the people in the media suppose because they haven't read the descent and the majority, because I and Justice Alito's descent actually, I think also actually illuminates that a lot of the debate is over what you might call birth terrists. So if you read the opinion, you're going to see a lot of discussion about this idea of domicile, which is not in the constitutional text. But I think this is a move that the Trump administration made, not the executive order, which does apply to all illegal aliens in the country, but an oral argument that still sort of general narrowed the debate to focus more on people who come really specifically for the purpose of having a baby and then leaving. And so the Justice Thomas's descent focuses on these people, and he says they're not really under our jurisdiction because they don't intend to live here. They don't set up a domicile here. Now he dropped, and then he drops an interesting footnote which she says, I'm not going to actually discuss here whether birthright citizenship would apply to the children of aliens who do want to stay here, which I assume is actually the great majority of the aliens in the country. I think the numbers, you know, they range from it's very hard to get numbers range from one hundred thousand to three hundred thousand babies are born a year in the United States based on this birth tourism category. I think that's probably very small number compared to the number of overall children born to aliens in the country or from people who want to stay. So there's actually the possibility of more agreement between the majority and the descent. You could say, maybe the only disagree with these people who are visiting temporarily. Now the majority opinion doesn't create an exception for that at all. The authority just says if you know, they know. They just say, if you're born on the territory of the United States, you're a citizen. Doesn't matter why your parents were here, how long they intended.
Speaker 1: To stay, nor does it matter, for instance, if if an enemy country decides to cross our borders and you know, come and just send hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of thousands of people into our country, or perhaps maybe Muslims into our country to destroy Western civilization.
Speaker 2: And they are saying Muslims, Muslims cannot be citizens of the United States. You know, I'm saying country's territory.
Speaker 1: No, what I'm saying is that that the proper ruling should have been that no one who is here illegally, who has entered our country the very first act of breaking our laws shows that they do not.
Speaker 2: I would say that even Thomas doesn't agree with that.
Speaker 1: I think he does.
Speaker 2: President's opinion just flat His opinion flatly says, I'm not going to address whether they're denied birthright citizenship. He's only talking about people are coming and leaving. You are. Usually it says that in the descent.
Speaker 1: That's fine, But the real point of the matter is subject to its jurisdiction has a very clear meaning under the fourteenth Amendment. We know what that meaning is very clearly from the legislative debates both on the Fourteenth Amendment and the Civil Rights Act of eighteen sixty six, which the fourteenth Amendment was specifically passed in order to ensure that it could be implemented. And we know what that meant. We know that it did not mean whole categories of persons who were as subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. Whole category it didn't address, I will give you illegal aliens or birthright or birth tourism or any of those things, because it didn't exist back then, for God's sakes.
Speaker 2: But COVID got to do this.
Speaker 1: Well wait, COVID, I didn't say COVID.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought I heard you say COVID.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no. What I'm saying is is no what the birth terrorism? The people the China who who are as you tell us all the time, our enemies sending their people here, taking them back, but they so they grow up in China, and but they're American citizens. They could come back and become president of the United States. And you know, looking at the way our politics are going in certain areas, it's not, you know, not an impossible thing. But anyway, the serious point is this that the fourteenth Amendment is clear. What the hell is wrong with Amy Coney Barrett and John Roberts and their stupid ass claim to be originalists. If they were originalists, they would look at what the fourteenth Amendment meant at the time it was pasted, and it is. The historical record is absolutely clear.
Speaker 2: I disagreed, it's not absolutely clear.
Speaker 4: And you're also saying, I mean, I just don't think it is what we know, what's this sight of history.
Speaker 2: You could say subject to the jurisdiction thereof had a clear meaning under the common law at the time, which incorporated only three categories. One of them is occupying armies, which you refer to, and one is diplomats. These are people who are in the country on the territory of the United States, but they're not subject to our jurisdictions, so it doesn't extend to them. Your theory is as subject to the jurisdiction thereof, which has a I think a pretty straightforward meaning, actually has an unusual meaning, which is at odz with the way the legal system use the terms at the time, which is that they're here without the permission of the country. Is a very strange way. No actually say that to say subject to the jurisdiction, It's just that nobody uses a term that way at that time.
Speaker 1: What they did used to mean is that you were not in any way still beholden to a different sovereign, that your allegiance was to the United States. And that's why those categories, which also included Native American Indians born in the United States, born in this soil, but who owed their allegiance to another sovereign were excluded specifically by the Fourteenth Amendment and by the Civil Rights Act of eighteen sixty six. That's what I'm talking about. Now. What happens is you bring all an illegal alien. They are not subject to the jurisdiction of the isicos.
Speaker 2: Are they not subject to our jurisdiction. They're on our territory. We can execute them for murder. If there are.
Speaker 1: Are Native American Indians not subject to our jurisdiction, then.
Speaker 2: They were not at the time because they had semi sovereign status on their right.
Speaker 1: They still have semi sovereign.
Speaker 5: So now it's because we allow them to have it.
Speaker 2: But you're reading subject to the jurisdiction in this very very unusual, strange way in which it was not used at the time. It was because there's no it wasn't.
Speaker 1: Is it most certainly was.
Speaker 3: I want to take us back to what's the opinion, what's in front of us, and what we can make of where we're going from here, rather than going back over I mean, we had this argument before and we're going to have it again. But first of all, just an observation. The descent got four votes on a case that, first of all, no one ever get brought. And second, even as recently as ten years ago, I don't think we would have thought you've gotten four votes for the position, and maybe they are five votes. I'm gonna come back to that point in just a second. Maybe I could do it this way. Thomas's descent reads to me. It reminds me a little bit of the descent in the Obamacare case, which people say Roberts actually wrote before he flipped side. I wonder if I'm gonna started writing this as a majority opinion and then someone flipped, and my speculation would be maybe Kavanaugh. Well wait a minute, let's go to Kavanaugh's opinion, because even if.
Speaker 2: Kavanaugh was there still would have been five to four.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: No on the constitutional issue. You need to have someone like you're talking about. Barrett would have to be the.
Speaker 3: Person you're te no No Kavanaugh. Kavanaugh's concurrence, as I concur on statutory grounds, unconstitutional.
Speaker 2: Grand doesn't matter, still be five to four.
Speaker 3: Well, wait a minute, what if that statue didn't exist, he would not be saying the four.
Speaker 2: Men no, that's my point, would still be five to four.
Speaker 3: Well, but five to four in favor of Trump's exactly.
Speaker 1: Five to four against Trump.
Speaker 3: Decision. Actually, I thought it was five to four. It was sixty three counting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was go and and Thomas.
Speaker 3: Oh I miscounted. Okay, Well, I still think that's interesting that Kavanaugh says that does Keavenaugh not point us a way forward for either statutory change because.
Speaker 1: This is a concurrence the majority opinion. The majority opinion says that the Constitution means X, and unless they get another majority opinion to overturn that, the the I mean people kept saying, oh yeah, there's Kevnaugh opens a way for all this statutory changes. I'm afraid that the argument I've made all along, which is that perhaps it shouldn't be done by the executive in the way that Trump decided to do it, you know, just in objective terms, nothing against Trump, but that Congress can absolutely determine what is the meaning of subject to the jurisdiction of the United States. And moreover, Congress can absolutely determine who and who cannot be citizens of the United States based upon its interpretation of the Fourteenth Amendment. The enforcement Clause gives Congress that power, not the President and not the Supreme Court. But we don't play those games anymore. We just the Supreme Court said it. So there you go. Let's all bow down and recognize that we live in some stupid country governed not by the sovereignty of the people but by nine unelected in most cases, three or four unelected idiots. Sorry, there's my there's my rant for the week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, okay, I mean I understand, I don't understand you. I think Congress would have the authority to end birthright citizenship as it's currently practiced by statute and over return the Supreme Court opinion.
Speaker 1: Well, I think they should.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we know you're saying.
Speaker 2: You say they can.
Speaker 1: That's what Abraham Lincoln.
Speaker 2: Intersection five of the Fourteenth No, actually, Lincoln did not think, for example, Congress could overturn dred Scott. Unfortunately he didn't try. He did. He did the Emancipation Proclamation based on his commander in chief power, but he recognized that would terminate on the end of the war. So I don't So you're saying under section five of the fourth So you think you're saying under section five of the fourteenth Amendment properly read, Congress could interpret.
Speaker 3: See I don't.
Speaker 2: I think that's exactly why they put the citizenship clause in the Constitution in the first place, because they didn't want politicians to be able to monkey around with the definition, change it back and forth.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 1: I actually would say this. I would say they put the enforcement clause in both all three of the reconstruction amendments to make it very clear that Congress had power over the States in ways it might not have prior to the reconstruction. That's true, and so I believe absolutely.
Speaker 2: But you think that they can change the interpretation, you think they can be at odds with the Court on the interpretation of the Constitution. That's exactly that Congress can do that. But then you said that they could essentially overturn this decision. And I don't think they can just subject to the jurisdiction the way they want, right.
Speaker 1: No, No, I mean yes, do I believe that, because I believe that Congress has as much power under the Constitution to determine what its powers are as a Supreme Court does, just like John Marshall believed, for instance. But we don't live in that country anymore. Historically, that's not the way it works. So this decision, sorry, really quickly less sentenced Steve. This decision means that everything Kavanaugh said was a bunch of gobbledygoog and didn't matter. And what mattered was the Supreme Court, in a really idiotic decision, determined that other than keeping people out of the United States, the only thing that the political branches can do to prevent anyone from taking over our country through birthright, citizenship, open laws call it. The only thing they can do is try to close the borders and try to stop birth tourism and so on.
Speaker 2: It's not hard. It's just the same thing you would do to drug traffickers. Human traffickers will punish the drug cartels. You can punish these, you know, these birth tours and companies. You could even punish the women who are coming in. You could prevent them, and they're starting to. Yeah, I mean it's not hard to do.
Speaker 3: John, What did you make of Thomas's point about the fourteenth Amendment. Essentially, very cleverly, I thought, adopted the argument of the slaughterhouse cases, which have never been overturned. Remember it said the fourteen Amendment was written for breed slaves. Sure, there's citizenship and Thomas says, everyone understands that I noticed that soda. My ar took after him there, saying he's using a double standard. He wants a colorblind constitution, but now says this amendment only applied to freed slaves, but.
Speaker 2: That Thomas actually Justice Jackson said that, yeah, so I I see. The question is this is how I would differ with his opinion. Is it is undeniable. The central purpose of the amendments was to restore or not restore because they never had them. Was to grant the same constitutional rights to the freed slaves that everyone else had. But is it limited to that? That's so I don't know if the Justice Thompson's a piece should be read to say this is what's you know Jackson claimed it said was that it only goes that far, and I don't know if that's I don't think he was saying that, But if he did, I don't think that's right. I think the fourteenth Amendment is written more broadly, and you raise the slaughterhouse cases because you know, at the point the slaughterhouse cases is also that privileges in the immunities means much more than just equalizing the rights of the freed slaves. It's actually about expanding the idea of privileges and immunities to create constitutional rights against all states. It's not just written to benefit blacks. Yeah, well that I don't think that Justice Thomas's opinion means that. But that's what that's No, that's what he says. That's some of that. I know. I'm just like, I agree with you, lucretianities. That's what Steve was asking.
Speaker 1: Well, but understand what he does say. However, he says, the Court has repurposed the Fourteenth Amendment to protect its own set of preferred rights that the Reconstruction Congress never contemplated. We can all agree on that a legal immigration, birthright, or birth tourism and all that stuff didn't exist. They did not specifically write the Fourteenth Amendment to protect those categories of people. That much we can agree on, right, and that cannot find support anywhere in the text for those sorts of people. Today, the Court does so again by recognizing a constitution right dis citizenship for the children of all foreign birth tourists and illegal aliens. And you're right, that's his emphasis, John, that's his absolute emphasis. But he's also saying, you know this was a big deal. This was a big deal for the newly freed slaves. This was a big deal to that's.
Speaker 2: The central purpose of the amendments. I don't disagree. I don't actually agree with your plan. I think that this is a that there's no text. Actually, this, this thing of this majority opinion is actually quite a textualist opinion. It's really more focused on the.
Speaker 1: Text and a sixteen oh eight English law case whatever it's called, Calvin's case. It has nothing to do with America, nothing, absolutely nothing.
Speaker 3: But all right, let us continue this on the other side of a brief ad break. Don't go away. We'll be right back with Moore yelling and screaming and shouting. All right, let's move off the law nearly speaking for a moment and talk about two things. One is what other remedies might be available now to President Trump and what are the political fallouts of this, which may not be quite as clear as people think. So first of all, John, you already kind of hinted of this could Trump close entry to pregnant women from everywhere to say, if you're pregnant, you can't come in that states.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose he could. I don't know if that would be the most effective. That would be what I would think of as an over inclusive rule. We would call us like going to bar too many people. But you could do that if you wanted to. I think the more effective thing would be to stop birth tourism through going at the companies that are charging people fifty thousand dollars or however much it is, or the people who are running these houses apparently places.
Speaker 1: Like Helia, and they are I think, John.
Speaker 2: Well, not a lough if I suppose I mean.
Speaker 1: A new initiative I've been reading about last dairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that would be the most easiest a forward way to do it in terms of its political effects. I maybe I'm wrong about this, but I think that President Trump has gone too far in his immigration agenda. I think the main achievement, which is an incredible achievement, was to take control of the southern border, and now we have almost zero. I think in some months we actually have zero illegal crossings, which is incredible feat of public policy.
Speaker 1: But I think John Finish, go ahead, No, no, really just on that point.
Speaker 2: This will be another quick one, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: Anecdotally, I spoke to the sheriff of Coaches County who was for the longest time ground zero in the and he says his job is totally different now. Still drug problems and things like that, but no more worry to worry about, you know, high speed chases. And so I'm sorry, go ahead, I just I wanted to give an anecdote to support your point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, then well that does raise well it does also raise the other minor lesser cases on this. So the Trump's authority was the temporary protective status cases. He won those and can proceed to what I guess, deport people who've overstayed in asylum or have weak claims and so forth.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I love the reaction to this from the left. You know, people are going to die, and these tears in these wonderful countries that were wonderful last week and now that people are going to die if we send them back, right. I love the double standard there. And so that suggests that there's still quite a bit of latitude for Trump to operate.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean, the immigration laws are written to give the president maximum flexibility. But this is this is the point is getting I think that the polling is starting to show I think it turned with the shootings in Minneapolis, which I think we're justified, but they also I think we're a use of force that went too far from most people. And I think so Trump's I think immigration and gen is starting to turn people off. Maybe this decision sapes and you can say, Okay, I'm done fighting about this birthright citizenshipping and we should turn to more important matters. I don't think it's that important in terms of political consequences, because I think the curve on immigration is turned down against the president now. I don't think it's a good idea for him to keep pounding on this issue and calling on Congress to pass a constitutional amendment to change the definition of citizenship is not always not going to pass. I think it's I think it's a mistake politically.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I disagree with you on that, John. I think that those polls some months ago after the Minneapolis business which was engineered, of course by the left in a lot of ways, a lot of those I think are evanescent. There's some more recent numbers. Even Harry Enton on CNN, who I think shoots pretty straight on these matters, says there's still a bedrock of majority support in general or restricting immigration. I think Trump still has the wind of his back. He's made some mistakes, no doubt about.
Speaker 2: But look at the also to overturn birthright citizenship too.
Speaker 3: Well, no, I'll see people, well, I don't think people. This is reminding me a bit of the Kilo case, right, which you know that was a five four case and I just got my numbers confused. But remember that led to a big backlash when people realized and led to a lot of states changing your laws to say, no, we're not going to allow emma domain to be abused and property rights to be abused. And I think that has contributed to some of the more recent better property rights decisions.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: And you know, I remember our friends at IJ when they brought that case. They thought they'd be lucky to get three votes, and they were stounded when they got four, and one of them being Senator day O'Connor, who'd been the most sort of erradic on property rights cases before that. Right, she wrote the dissent, which amazed everybody. In any case, I could see this playing out that way. And this is where I've been startled to see some people or otherwise would be I think wholly in Lucretia's corner and being upset about the decision, who said, well, you know, this is actually may ignited debate that hasn't been happening on this case, and a few other people who said, you know, the dab's decision, which we all celebrate, it did have the short term political effect of giving Democrats a talking point that played a role in the Republican underperformance in twenty twenty two. It motivated their base. Imagine just as a political matter, not a legal one. As a political matter, if the court had struck down birthright citizenship, what would the talking point from Democrats have been, They've been losing Hispanic vote. You know what they'd say between now November Trump was going to deport millions of you who've been citizens your entire lives. Totally not true, but that's what they would say, and the media would go along with it and would add to the headwinds for Trump Republicans in November. So in the short run, it seems to me that it's a wash at worst, and maybe in the long run a net benefit my opinion. I don't know, lucretire, you're looking dyspeptic about that.
Speaker 1: That's why I guess, you know what, I'm just tired of making a major constitutional, political groundbreaking decisions because we're worried about what Democrats are going to lie about next. I mean, for God's sake, No, no, no, I know I'm not accusing you of that, but what at what point are Republicans going to stop being the you know what's with? It starts with the P and it ends with the U. S S I E S that.
Speaker 2: I'm just so, what is it that they're supposed to do? What do you want them? What do you want them in Congress to do? Overrule the birthright citizens in case I don't understand what their Passive Savior Act? Yes, that doesn't have anything to do with this.
Speaker 1: Oh John, how can you say that?
Speaker 2: What does it got to do with birthright citizenship?
Speaker 1: Because the reason that Democrats, let me explain it to you, the reason that Democrats are so invested in illegal immigration is not just because they want illegal immigrants to vote, because they do, and they want to turn all of those illegal immigrants who are feeding at the public trough, who are getting welfare benefits, et cetera, et cetera. Even though they pretend they're not that there'll be clients of the Democratic Party in perpetuity, and in the states that become diasporas, shall we say, for these illegal immigrants, it raises their numbers and they have greater representation in Congress. All of those things. The sayback first and foremost removes the possibility for fraud. It removes the possibility of non citizens voting in federal elections, and that in and of itself would allow for American citizens to make decisions about what's in their best interest.
Speaker 3: I think leave aside the illegal voting aspects of it for a moment. I think there's a simpler theory. Remember there's recently, as the nineteen nineties under Clinton, Democrat were really tough on illegal immigration rhetorically at least and maybe even practice On'm not I think the actually were under Clinton in practice. However, someday one day somebody woke up and said, gosh, what happened to California? That used to be a reliably Republican state in presidential elections and a competitive state between the two parties, And now it isn't what changed? The demographics changed. The light bulb would often said, you know, if we have more, especially Hispanic immigration into the rest of the country. We flipped the whole country the way we flipped California. Now there's the old story that California Republicans lost California because they were mean to immigrants. Is probably wrong. Too many Republicans go along with it, unfortunately, but you've heard Democrats say, you know, it's only a matter of time before Texas follows California because of all the Hispanic immigration to the state. Lo and behold, Republicans get a large share of the Hispanic vote, more and more of it all the time in Texas. So the theory may not hold up the long term, but that's what they fought, and I think that explains why suddenly, Oh Thomas quotes in his opinion Harry Reid saying, twenty years ago, we got to stop birthright citizenship. This is crazy today. If you said the Democratic Party, well, let's just say you would get a run out of office in a hurry. But credit socialists, which we may come to in our next episode. I think that's the theory of it. It's pretty simple.
Speaker 1: I just think it's a matter of sovereignty, well, choosing, choosing who your citizens are and choosing who your electric is is a matter of sovereignty.
Speaker 3: But let's go on the other cases and somebody agrees with you. I can tell there, boy, Okay. One that I know we haven't chatted about in text threads is I think this case with the NRSC versus FEC, the one that's that ended limits on ordination between parties and candidate. I think this is a huge decision. And I'll tell you who else thinks it's a huge decision in the wrong way. It was Paul Krugman to the TikTok saying the Supreme Court is just end the democracy in America. I think it's completely crazy. It will make political parties great again. John, Are you paying any attention to that decision or are you one of the other more flamboyant ones.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I mean, I'm not sure whether we'll save political parties from their great decline. But it's just a This is just the working out of I think principle, which is, if you really think money should be in campaigns should be given first amba protection, which the Court has now held since Citizens United, then this is the logical extension of Citizens United. And I think over time the Court will end up striking all the limits on a campaign finance. So the main one left, it seems to me, is the limit on how much money you can give directly to a candidate. That doesn't really make sense anymore now that you can give that same amount of money to the political party and then it can turn around and give it to the candidate. So I think the logic of that is to result in that, And that's the last major piece of Buckley versus Valleo. That's left, right.
Speaker 1: I was just going to ask you if you actually thought that the principle that spending money in elections was actually protected by the First Amendment, that it was political speech, was in fact articulated in Buckley versus Valao by the Court to strike down some aspects of the FECA amendments in the ninety seven nineteen seventy four amendments. They just as usual. It was almost as if Roberts was on the court back then, let's mucky it up and we'll say yes to this, and noted that where for no principal basis, this is political speech that's protected. This is political speech. It should be protected. But the appearance of corruption is so great we can't protect it, you know, and all that nonsense that they did in Buckley versus Valip But has it am? I is it unfair for me to say, I'm asking you, my great constitutional scholar that you are. The Court actually articulated that principle first in Buckley and then Initizen United sort of doubled down on No.
Speaker 2: They I mean Buckley is really also the case that says money is protected, Yeah, because it's the way you engage in speech. So I think I'm not sure if it's Buckley or the follow up case, which involves First Bank of Boston is called where they say, basically, well, the Founders didn't say anything specifically about money. Where they say, suppose the government said we're going to take away all your printing presses, right, and that's what the money is. The money is how you buy the things that allow you to speak. And they said, of course, the Founders would have thought the First Amendment protected your right to have of the printing press, so therefore must protect your means to buy the printing press. So that's there very early on. But the mistake they made, which this Court is curing was they said that when it comes to campaign finance, as you mentioned you could override that First Amendment right with the desire to not just end corruption, but the appearance of corruption. And I've been I mean, this is this, I mean, I always thought that was such a ridiculous test. It's very typical the seventies is kind of balancing the government against the scope of the right and off. Usually the government would win. And this court's you know, gone back to saying the First Amendment means free speech is protected under strict scrutiny, and there's very few almost no basically wartime it's the only time you can override the First Amendment. And they are very close to saying that as to all campaign speech, I mean, and money, campaign money, sir.
Speaker 3: One of the things I don't remember about Luckley is whether the contribution of it was directly attacked and raised before the court. Remember, by the way, the young lawyer who did a lot of the legal work and prepared the briefs was a guy named John Bolton. That's right, and then that's right, I do. I thought the principal arguments that our team, so to speak, one on or to put it dway Nash or reput at the time is how do you tell Nelson Rockefeller that he can't spend money on himself. And if you can't, if you can't tell Nelson Rockefeller he can't spend money on himself, what about him spending money on someone else's behalf? That so it opened the door to independent expenditures, which then got broad and under Citizens United. But you know it's my old mentor. Stan Evans is a lot of the parties to that case, and he is the first one to exploited in the New Hampshire sorry North Carolina primary in seventy six on Reagan's behalf. Anyway, but I've always thought that you listen to the left complained about Citizens United allows all these super packs and all these independent organizations to you know, spend money and effect elections. Well, now I've just said, you know what, you don't need those guys. It's going to diminish the influence of the third party groups. It seems, not third parties, I mean third you know, super packs are now diminished and the parties are now put back in charge. And I think that's all of the good. Myself, I'm an old fashioned party man.
Speaker 1: So let me just ask you guys both this with a couple of weeks ago, and Steve repeated all the things he just said about about Stanton, and anyway, I mentioned that with the with the appearance of AI and in campaign ads on the internet, all of which are practically free, that it would undermine some of the the some of the effects, some of the import of having all of this campaign finance money because people don't watch television anymore. So that's one thing. Even though the you know, the Republicans have a huge advantage at least the RNC over the DNC monetarily, it's like ten times the amount of money in the bank. But a deeper question is what we're seeing happen to the parties themselves outside the realm of campaign finance. So we haven't you know, MAGA versus establishment Republicans. By the way, I just want to point out that Paxton's now ahead in all the holes of transit adjacent to soy boy uhal what's his name, tall Rico And But but the other side of it, of course, is the Democratic Party struggling with this you know, far left wing democratic socialist Colorado New York. You guys are all aware of that. So if the party has more money to spend in conjunction with a candidate. What does that even mean in a in a an election this year where the parties are a mess from the point of view of being able to have a controlled message and to determine who they're who, to determine who their candidates are going to be, and so on. That that's I'm just throwing it out there. Maybe it doesn't even matter, all right.
Speaker 3: A question is open with you, John, what do we get? What do we make of what I'm calling the Humphreys straddle. So we had Trump versus Slaughter struck down Humphrey's executor about the same agency, the Federal Trade Commission. That was the original case in nineteen thirty four, I think. And then the parallel case is Trump versus the lady at the Federal Reserve that he wanted to fire and the court said, no, you can't do that. They punted it back down to a lower court. So it sounds like it's not necessarily over, but they weren't very clear about it. So what do we make of that straddle? It does seem like a straddle, doesn't it. I mean, the Wall Street Journal said, we don't quite understand how they make a distinction between one case another. If they're going to go to with an unitary executive theory, I.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't say it's atraggle straddle. Maybe it's a straggle, and I think it's just like one little pinky sticking out from the rest of the body. So the Court in the Slaughter case, I think, finally finished its project that's been on for twenty years now to reassert the president's power to remove any significant officer and the executive branch. And then Cook basically says, but we're going to carve out this one time exception for the Federal Reserve because it's so old, and it's president the founding, and we have McCullum, and we fought over it back then. But I don't think it's a straddle in the sense. I don't think the Cook case is going to come back and lead some kind of counter revolution where the Court starts granting exceptions left and right for all these other agencies. In fact, I think that's the way to describe what the majority did to Humphrey's executor, that over time they start saying this kind of agency is unconstitutional, that one's unconstitutional, and now you have this uniform rule that no executive branch agencies are outside the control of the president, and so I just think that Cook is just going to be this anomaly in that general rule because the constitutional not constitutional, but the historical reasons for the bank are so important. I don't I can't see the Court, you know, after this saying Okay, here's an agency that's really powerful, almost as powerful as the Federal Reserve. So we're going to allow Congress to protect that agency from presidential control too. In fact, I can't even think of what such an agency would be other than the Federal Trade Commission, which is the one that was struck down just now. So I can't don't. I don't think of it as as a matter of logic, it doesn't make sense. Which the dissenters repeated, you know, the dissenters and Cook pointed out over and over again, was that Chief Justice Roberts were both opinions. How do you hold both opinions in your mind at the same time. They don't make sense. But it's more that Slaughter is the general rule, and Cook just creates this small blip.
Speaker 1: I agree with that, but I but I would argue that I don't. Ultimately, you can talk about the history all day long. But either you believe in you adhere to the unitary executive ruler, you don't, or you could argue perhaps that the FED the bank doesn't exercise executive powers. Now, Hell, I don't know, is banking executive powers? Is setting interest rates executive powers?
Speaker 3: Is?
Speaker 1: You know whatever? I don't. This is not my area of expertise. What I don't get. I don't disagree with anything you just said. I do see that the FED has been set aside as some sort of special, super special something by the Court that that doesn't fall into the same category as any other independent executive agency. It just the fact that we had a national bank way back in the beginning of the constitution, constitutional republic. That seems to be enough of an argument to throw away the rest of it. To me, That's what I got from reading Aldo on that, and that you know the FED is different because there's been something like a national bank for a long time.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, if that's the exception, I agree. I mean I would rather they have decided to cook the other way. Doesn't make sense to me as a matter of principle, but I think it's just a matter of politically they're just bending to what they think was the political reality of it. But the way they define it means that no other agency qualifies. There are no other big agencies back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sorry, So Steve, one last really quick question I promised. What they said about Cook's firing is that that, in fact, the statue gives the president the power to determine at will, but that he can't make any decision whatsoever, which means he doesn't have the power. Right, Am I wrong in saying no?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: I think this is actually part of the legal ease of the beginning of the opinion. It's more that so the statute says she can't be fired except for cause. The statute doesn't define for cause, but it must mean something greater than at will. So the positure of the case is really while that's being litigated, can Trump remove her right away? Or can she sit in the office until the court reviews the decision? And so that's why there's all this language about in the different many opinions that this is not settled, this will come back to the court, because this is really just about can she stay in the job until the court's decide whether lying on your mortgage application before you were in office is sufficiently for cause. So it'll come back to the court unless Cook serves out a term or a new president comes in who doesn't want to fire her.
Speaker 3: And we're going to come back after this short break for some sponsor messages. Don't go away. All right, Let's take up two last cases here, I think, before we then give our overall grades for the Court for this term. And the two cases. One was the election day case and the second was the one on trans athletes. And I know the Creach is not happy with the outcome of the first one. I think happy with the second one. But both of them seemed to me could be set, at least on the surface, to rest on the ground of federalism. Right. Constitution says states set the terms and conditions of elections, and we've given broad latitude with certain exceptions of voting rights and so forth. And then the trans athlete case. Most of the media is not reporting us accurately. They're saying the Supreme Court has banned transgender athletes from women's sports. That's not the court, of course, but hold that subsidiary point for a moment. But the Court said was states can do this if they want to. It's a federalism. I think you can say the federalism on the surface. Now the question about I think the fundamentally, the blind about human nature is at the heart of the matter. Anyway, which one of you guys want to talk about first?
Speaker 1: I want John to come back and tell me if I'm wrong about all of this. What I found really most interesting was Thomas Alito both Alito had made this argument in an earlier case as well. But this idea that strict scrutiny does not apply unless it is the categories of persons who are protected under the Equal Protection Clause are in fact defined by immutable characteristics. Are you following me, John? The idea of race, ethnicity, sex, those are immutable characteristics of birth and the fourteenth Amendment. The Court's long jurisprudence has said that when you discriminate against someone on the basis of those immutable characteristics, you can do so only with a very compelling government reason. In this case, what they're arguing, what my understanding is part of the argument was that sexual identity self chosen sexual identity of gender identity is by definition not immutable, and therefore it doesn't get the same level of protection. So if a state wants to discriminate against people in that category, it only has to show a rational purpose.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think the way to think of it is that so this is actually this is not to give lu Cutia even more ammunition for her constitutional jahads. But this is a problem that was created by the Court when it's said that women were equal to men, because there is no text in the Constitution other than the Voting Rights that says that talks about sex equality. So the court had to figure out how to do it right. The constitutional text makes clear, you know, the fourteenth Amendments aim is race and so on. So how did the court do it? Well, there's two different ways you could look at it, and one is the way you described, Alito. The other theory is the ones that the dissenters in this opinion us because people, I think a lot of people I know say, how could anyone be in favor of allowing this of these transgender men to compete in women's sports. It's because they're the dissenters are drawing. On the other way, you could read the theory of gender quality. So Alito's view, which is, I think what the Court's majority has long thought was you shouldn't be able to discriminate based on what you said, immutable characteristics like right, sex, race, things that you can't change about yourself. And that's how the Court justified extending the fourteenth Amendment to include women. But right, the other approach, which is the approach here the left, is not really about your immutable characteristics. They would say, well, there are things that we prohibit discrimination on the base of which you can change, like religion. So they think that it's really about recognizing the dignity of every group. Plus and you see this repeat over over again the immigration cases, in particular prohibiting the government from acting out of malice. Remember that's the core of the gay marriage cases was that, well, being gay is not an immutable characters because you can't tell, or at least I can't tell. I think Lucretia's gaydar is much more sensitive than mine, for example, But you can't theoretically tell who's you know, gay or not from their appearance. They can change that. So the point and the court never said that gays were a protected category like gender, like ray. So instead they said, we're just stopping government from hate. Right and so that's really what that's the other theory about why you're allowed to prohibit sex discrimination when it's not in the text of the Constitution. So that's where the two right, that's how you see this difference arise. I think the liberal the centers are wrong. I wouldn't read those cases that the gender discrimination cases that way, but it's a legitimate way to approach it. I mean, the Court does say things like that from time to time. The gay marriage cases are their best cases because Kennedy led the Court in this direction.
Speaker 1: But I do have one quick thing. Technically speaking, the Court has actually never put sex in the same category as other suspect classifications. It is actually a sex. The difference between men and women now is what I'm talking about here. Biological sex is not assessment category critics. It gets it has to prove. The burden of the proof is still in the government, but it has to show an important governmental interest rather than a compelling governmental interest because the immutable characteristics of the difference between the sexes sometimes actually has to be recognized by the law. That was the theory behind it.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And though they rarely uphold restrictions on women anymore like the one they did used to was combat in the military, things like that.
Speaker 1: Or even the secret Selective Service, which is still.
Speaker 2: All it's all related to national security because that is a compelling interest, the court has said. But no, I agree with you. They just I mean, I think, you know, the logic that you agree with that I agree with would have led to a different outcome in the gay marriage cases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, So let's uh the election day case.
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: What does election day mean?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: On the one hand, as I suggested that the setup, it's you know, the Constitution does say we leave the states lots of latitude and determining the conditions of their elections and so forth. But is there not, and this may be is a little bit like birthright citizenship change in circumstances, is there not a compelling a U was compelling state interest?
Speaker 2: Toge?
Speaker 3: I hate that phrase. But is there not a national interest in some degree of uniformity of our election laws? So we don't have these suspect anomalies like California taking weeks to count all its votes, Oregon taking a month to count all its votes back in the two thousand election, and so forth. It seems to me that that one could have gone the other way, but I haven't.
Speaker 2: He I mean, you got no no, I mean you guys are a lot of the comments you guys make on these cases is what aren't the more reasonable rational thing for the government to do? Is this? How can the court reach an outcome that allows the law actually to be irrational? And I agree with you, it would be better if there were standardized approaches to many things involving elections. The court didn't. But then that's the thing the court. This is a fairly narrow case that all the court the Court did not say that Congress couldn't do that. If Congress wanted to pass the law that said you have to report in the vote totals by x time, you know, two days after the election, you even have to use this procedure for counting the votes. The opinion makes clear that Congress has that power. All the Court is saying is when Congress set the election day, it wasn't trying to regulate, which it could, but it just wasn't regulating counting, how long it takes to count and so on. It just was setting the election day, not all those other procedures. So it's just the Congress would passed the statute narrowly.
Speaker 1: It was just the Constitution sets election day, right.
Speaker 2: And it says that it's up to Congress to set the election day.
Speaker 1: But doesn't the Constitution say the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November.
Speaker 2: I think it says that Congress can also set it. I think it's I mean, I have to look it up again, but I thought Congress has a discretion to change it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, let's get out of all this for now. I want to get from each of you. You're overall grade for the Supreme Court for the term just ended, and then you can tell me why you know how you grade. I'll give you. I'll give you mine. Last, I'll tell you what I'll go.
Speaker 2: Are we're doing on Harvard grades or real no Harvard grade? Yeah, because they get an eight plus at Harvard.
Speaker 3: Well, we could do the Harvey Mansfield scheme, right, script grade and then they're real grade, right Harvey C minus Mansfield. Right. I tell you what I actually give the court, a B plus. I am grading a bit on a curve based on previous cases. You know. Another version of what I said a moment ago is that I'll bet the Burger Court just forty years ago. They wouldn't have even taken the Burgerti case. They would have simply rejected the certain petition and let the district court case striking down Trump executive order stand. They wouldn't even heard your arguments. So that's a disappointment. But I think the overall tendency is a good one, and so I give them a B plus. Lucrechie, do you want to go next?
Speaker 1: So I will do. I will base my grade upon some stuff that's been going up on in the uh, in the chat. Some back and forth it's been going on in the chat. And you know what John and I have in common, Uh, there are things believed or not. One of them is our belief that Roberts is very much committed to this idea of balance on the court. And I mentioned to somebody that, you know, Earl Warren never gave a damn about balance. He just kept on destroying our constitution case after case after case and didn't care that. You know, there were posters up all over billboards up all over the South saying and Peter Old Warren anyway, I I don't like that idea that you know, maybe Amy Coney Barrett or Roberts, who even even Kavanaugh thought, well, this is gonna look like we're really Trump Court if we're not careful. So that one last really quick thing before you go to John. I read somewhere of the town hall X somewhere that said they had removed all of the riot barriers and protections from in front of the Supreme Court the night before they issued the birthright citizenship case. And that was a clear indication to what, well, we know that good solid right wing people, patriotic people don't riot, and so they knew that the birthright citizenship was the case was going to go the way of the left. And you know that in and of itself is just cringey. We're not supposed to be playing the game that way. So on that basis, I give it a.
Speaker 2: D D wow, I actually think.
Speaker 1: But I gave it Clarence Thomas and Aleo a plus's and they get they get extra credit to.
Speaker 2: I would give them a B plus. And I think that's because I think we should appreciate how far the Court has come from where it was where these cases, even though you don't like the outcomes, are being conducted on originalist grounds. The removal cases now you have a difference about how often how much originalist weight you need to overcome precedent, which is really a question like judicial I don't know field. There's no formula toward and that's why they you know, that's why we put them in the Jodger's No, you know, there's no algorithm that produces the right exactly the right outcome. But if you want.
Speaker 5: Uh huh so if you if you if you wanted to do if you want to just but if you wanted.
Speaker 2: To compare these cases to like what Steve was talking about, the Warren court cases or even Burger court cases, they're completely different. Nobody's out there saying, you know, the national public interest causes me to decide it this way, or that I must do what's right because of just the principle of humanity, or the decisions are much narrower now, and they're conducted on the basis of things that you and I can argue about. Right that before it was just people who had power and had their own personal political philosophies they.
Speaker 3: Were imposing on us.
Speaker 2: So I think this is a great improvement. I wouldn't have decided a number of the cases the way the court does. But in general, I like the way the method they have been using, I think is such a dramatic improvement from where we were as long as recently as with Anthony and Kennedy was on the court, that's when it changed.
Speaker 3: That it seems to me our team has the initiative right now. We're bringing the big cases, challenging and succeeding, not always and not completely and clearly as they ought to, but that it seems to be new. Even in the last fifteen years, we were still in defensive browse constitutionalism, recently as the George W. Bush. But we're going to take one last quick and then we're going to move to away very quick, ending with some of our usual silly stuff we do at the beginning, and then close out this first of two special episodes for July fourth, don't go away. Hi, everybody, it's Steve here to introduce you to a brand new podcast on the Ricochet Family. It's called the Future Freedom Podcast. So what if political disagreement didn't have to become political warfare? Well, that's the idea behind the Future of Freedom Podcast. Each week, two liberty minded thinkers tackle a major issue from different perspectives. One conversation, two viewpoints, no yelling, no dunking, no debate, stage theatrics. For that, you've got to stay here with us at the three Wisky Happy Hour. I think the Future Freedom podcast just aims to have thoughtful arguments presented in good faith, giving listeners the chance to weigh the evidence and reach their own conclusions in immediate and vironment. Built for outrage, the Future of Freedom podcast is built for curiosity. So please listen to the Future of Freedom here on Ricochet or wherever you get your podcasts. And now back to the three Whiskey Happy Hour. All right, Lucretia, give us another headline from the New America's newspaper Record to send us out.
Speaker 1: In most exciting moment in history of w NBA, woman points at other woman.
Speaker 3: Now, John, who is ignorant of all things sports and popular culture doesn't know this refers to Sophie Cunningham, who we related this. John. She is displacing Sidney Sweeney as our heroin woman that America needs just now right, I don't you know, the WNBA is ridiculous, almost ridiculous as World Cup soccer in the United States.
Speaker 2: But I like football and basketball, football, baseball and soccer, right, soccer soccer, but basketball is just people cheating all the time, trying to get raps to I mean, every play the raps are calling something. It's so ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Actually they're not. They don't call. They haven't called traveling in the NBA for twenty five years now. I think it's but you.
Speaker 2: Make a sound near Lebron and there's a foul. Yeah.
Speaker 3: But let's just say this. My weekend pictures of Powerline this week is going to have a whole gallery of Sophie Cunningham pointing at things, and she's like the new heroin for its.
Speaker 2: But I like the one where she'suputing because she was pointing at someone saying, stop picking on the other player. Caitlin Clark is at it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's something like that, right, Yeah, but uh, I like it what she.
Speaker 1: Was pointing at Amy Coheney Barrett saying we didn't fight to get you on the court for this crap.
Speaker 2: Art has been so conservative. She voted for the parity of birthright and everyone wants to expel her from the conservative movement all of a sudden.
Speaker 3: Oh, let's not have this argument.
Speaker 1: Also, the.
Speaker 2: What are you going on? Dobbs on the Harvard case. I mean the election time. It's important.
Speaker 3: Little what whiskey are you guys drinking? So we can get to the end.
Speaker 2: I forgot I'm having a pot sized will it this gigantic? Here's the thing I really want to show you guys, is I'm eating it with this new flavor of laced potato chips.
Speaker 3: They can drill cheese.
Speaker 2: Oh that's bacon grilled cheese flavor.
Speaker 1: That awesome.
Speaker 5: Only in America? Could you have bacon grilled cheese flavored potato.
Speaker 1: Chip the bies in Arizona.
Speaker 3: I have heard that. Yes, that is wonderful news.
Speaker 1: And hobbs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got an O.
Speaker 2: Bond bond fourteen.
Speaker 3: Last week I had something I did not know existed. I have stuff's either called amroot or ambrot. I'm not sure. It's Indian, as in from India, single mall, half peaty age and oak barrels. I think even Lucretia might like it. But first of all, two things, is this cultural appropriation? Or is India, which still is installing air conditioning unlike United Kingdom? Are they actually planning to take over whiskey? Why do I say that? I don't know if I've shared the news with you guys that the crazy net zero insane people in England are talking about banning.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I saw that.
Speaker 3: And and if you know, if you say you can't have pete, well that's for the end of an awful lot of single malt scotch whiskey. And that's communism.
Speaker 2: But isn't it also imperialism, beautiful aspect of imperialism that in India they're making scotch because they were part of the empire.
Speaker 3: M h, yeah, that's right, that's exactly, and you know, part of democracy and all that's yeah. I bet they count all their votes on one day. In any case, we are done for the first of two episodes. We're going to start the other one here in just a minute. For those of you watching the live stream.
Speaker 1: Oh I thought they already had No, we haven't.
Speaker 3: We're still going. And actually I'll just instead of doing the usual one John about buying more books all that, I'll just say you've been listening to three Whiskey Happy Hour, don't go away. Tune in tomorrow. If you're listening to the audio only by download. We'll have another episode up tomorrow on the fourth of July. So Happy holidays, everybody.
Speaker 2: Gone, the judge gone, the.
Speaker 3: Jug Ricochet join the conversation.