Speaker 1: It's with Dan Ray. I'm telling you beasy Boston Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Night's Side. Gary Tagway, thank you very much filling in uh or day of this evening. Appreciate it, Dan Uh. This next guest has done so much. You take a look at the resume and she's been really busy. Christy Cashman joins us. Now, Christy, we have a mutual friend in Casey Sherman, and she told me, he says, you got a great book out. But I look at everything you've done, and I don't know where to begin, quite frankly, whether it's the novel, whether it's the acting, whether it's being an executive producer, whether it's like owning a castle with your husband Jay in Ireland. I mean, it's just the list goes on and on. I have to I do want to talk about the castle because how cool is that? How cool?
Speaker 3: Is it very cool?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I bet it is.
Speaker 3: I bet it is.
Speaker 2: But let's we'll start with the novel here, which, you know, I anybody that can sit down and write a novel I have. I have a lot of respect, respectful because I've done it myself and it's really hard to do. Uh. The novel is the truth about horses, and just to tell us about it, why you wrote it? Everybody loves horses. It looks like a terrific story, so tell us about it.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 3: I chose the world of horses. And thank you, by the way, thanks for having me. I'm so happy to be on tonight. I chose the world of horses because that's what I know. And I think a long time ago, when when I first sort of set out to write, someone wisely said, write what you know. And I think that is because you know, if you know something well, you describe it well, you kind of know all the description of your senses. That that really is what writing is all about, you know, describing what your senses are absorbing. And I could do that with writing about the world of horses. And then in terms of what the protagonist reas goes through with loss, I can also write about that well because because I've experienced loss. I'm sure almost everyone in life at some point experiences loss, and I experienced, at a young age losing my mom. So I was able to write from a place of, you know, kind of knowing what that feels like and knowing how that makes you feel like you're kind of on the outside looking in at the rest of the world a lot of the time, and you know that you've all of a sudden have this huge sort of chasm between yourself and everyone else. And it's not necessarily true, because a lot of people you know go through it. It's just what it makes you feel like. And so I could write that perspective from a teenager in a very believable way, I think. And so once you have that, I think, once you have the world, and then once you have a believable protagonist who you kind of love but also watch her make these horrible mistakes and sort of cringe and think, oh my gosh, what is she doing? Then I think you've got to you know, you've got a hook. You'll you have hopefully you know, a reader who will want to turn the page. And that's what I mean. That's hard to do, really, like you said, because we are bombarded by so much content now and books are difficult. It's a commitment to read a book.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned the main character, the protagonist, fourteen year old Reis Tucker, and you said, obviously there's some of you in her, are some of those mistakes in her as well.
Speaker 3: Some of them, but maybe different, you know, different but similar.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I think there's a great expression that I like when you talk about writing fix is you don't write about yourself, You write out of yourself. And I think that's so true. You know, that's how I felt during the whole process of writing this book. I you know, I am not Reese. In some ways, I kind of wish I had a little bit more in me, maybe when I was a kid. And so maybe she's a little bit of an alter ego, but she's a part for sure.
Speaker 2: You know, Well, tell us about Reese. What is she like? Why do we Why do we care about Reeche Tucker and her parents and how she's training horses? Why do we care about her?
Speaker 3: We care about her because she is so flawed and damaged, and I think that everybody can relate to that. You know, she is hurting, and and she's expressing her hurt in all the wrong ways. Instead of, you know, making herself lovable, she's almost making herself un lovable because she's so angry about how hurt she's been. And I think that's really common. I think that people who are hurt are often angry. And as a fourteen year old. That was the only way that she could express her hurt. And aside from the hurt of her loss, she has this father who is avoiding all of his you know, feelings at all costs. And so now she has, you know, a loss in one parent and then a loss in another in terms of he's just emotionally unavailable. Right, everyone can deal with that too, right. Everyone knows what that's like to know an emotionally unavailable person and live with him. You know, we all have have lived with those people, you know, whether they are parents or siblings or you know, or bouses, We've all had least experience some experience with that.
Speaker 2: Christy Cashman is our guest, the author of The Truth About Horses and fourteen year old Reis Tucker, the main character in the story where the Tucker's dream of running a horse in the Black Elk, which is the big race. I love the name the Black Elk. I want to know where you came up with that. And if they win this race, everything's going to be fine, right, So is that the big moment in the story.
Speaker 3: Well, that's the big dream, that's the big thing that's out there, you know. And the brass ring I guess. And I think in stories it's always helpful to have that big, you know, thing that you wish for that could change everything in your life. And and if you could only you know, if you could, just if if this were justin reach and and and for her family, that's it. I mean, there's sort of of living paycheck by paycheck with what they do in the horse world. But they love doing it because that's what their life is all about, you know. I think that they have a great life until there's a tragedy, you know, and winning this race is part of something that would be life changing, life altering for them for for you know, for a long time.
Speaker 2: And Christy, where can they pick up the book? Obviously Amazon, but local bookstores as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely go to your local bookstore. If they don't have it on their shelf, ask them to take it because I think it's great. Ask them to get it because I think it's great to support your local bookstore. And definitely Amazon, Target pretty much anywhere books are sold. And I do love, like I said, supporting your local.
Speaker 2: Bookstore the truth about horses. Now we're going to go from books. You want to talk some movies coming up? Sure? All right, there's one movie in particular. There's one movie in particular if I star on your resume, I want to discuss, and that is with filmmaker Arthur and castle Owner Christy Cashman next to WBZ.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan ray Mine from the Window World late set Studios on WBZ News.
Speaker 2: Radio, Garry Tag waiting for Dan Raig tonight, our guest, Christy Cashman, author, filmmaker and like I said, castle owner. Not everybody can say that that's that's that's quite a triple play man. I'll tell you that right now.
Speaker 3: So well it's a small castle.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, all right, sure fine.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: I noticed on your IMDb page and you're you're into the to the acting scene locally and also producing developing films the kids are all right, you're an executive producer on that which starred Julian Moore, Annette Benning and Mark Ruffalo. And folks, if you're looking for a good movie to watch, and there's not that on Netflix, watch this film. I loved it. I thought it was original, I thought it was creative. I thought it had heart conflict and just to set up quick, Julian more than at Benning are a gay couple and they have children because of Mark Ruffalo, who was a biological father but was anonymous, and then the kids bring him into their lives. Just how did you get involved in the project. I thought it was a great film.
Speaker 3: It was a great film. Yeah. Well, at the time, I was, you know, reading scripts and trying to produce basically, and that one came across my desk through a producer friend, and I read it, and I thought that the writing was pretty amazing, and the story was great and unique, like you said, and that's hard, you know, you don't co across those sort of special stories very frequently. And as soon as I read it, I felt I felt like it was special. But also it was it was timing, like there was I was working on something else and and uh, a producer who was who was also working on The Kids Are all right, was I was reading my script and and so it's all I don't know, it's all very serendipitous, you know, when you come across great projects and.
Speaker 2: What a cast. Oh my god, I.
Speaker 3: Know, yeah, really amazing. I know, I have to rewatch it. It's been a while.
Speaker 2: It has been a while, and that's why I want to bring it to people's attention because unfortunately, projects like this are getting made anymore. I agree, you know, and I don't know why do you have any idea why? I mean, you're obviously in a in front of the camera behind in the camera. We're seeing projects streaming like The Bear, which is terrific succession, but there's a lot of pain, there's a lot of just anger, and I'm just dying. I mean, I'm a sap, you know, I'm dying.
Speaker 3: For a good story.
Speaker 2: Maybe the truth about horses. We need to get that made into a movie.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: Well, we might be a series, actually, is what they're talking about. You know, I've heard that it's a pendulum, is that we as a society where we sort of the pendulum sort of swings between you know, those kind of dark projects and the ones that are that keep us on the edge of our seat two more heartwarming and comforting and you know, I don't know, joy filled and uplifting projects, And I think that maybe this pendulum is swinging. I've all also heard that it has to do with with what we're going through in our country, with with you know, things that are upsetting and war and that kind of thing. Is that if we feel like we're on the brink of disaster in our real lives. We want to watch more comforting films and content when we're you know, enjoying ourselves. That kind of makes sense to me. I don't know. I heard that somebody say that a long time ago. I kind of believe it.
Speaker 2: What do you think we are right now? Because the actors strike, as you and I both know, I must, it had to happen. I think the union did what they had to do, but it also set things back, which we understand that sometimes you have to go a step back to go to forward. Do you think things will start coming back? Because from what I understand in Hollywood and in production, things are people are in trouble, really in trouble in Hollywood. And when I say Hollywood, I mean the entertainment Universe. They're not producing content like they were two years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know, I've heard the same thing. I don't know. That's a that's a really good question. I wish I had the answer. It seems like maybe there are certain things, you know, that might get made faster than others if they're if they're you know, if they don't require a uh, you know, a list lead or if if they're really plot driven or whatever. I really don't know. It's it's so hard to it's so hard to really predict that.
Speaker 2: What I've been hearing is that, you know, they keep saying fourth quarter of this year because you know, Netflix and Amazon and Paramount Plus and Paramounts being sold and they want to recoup their losses from the strike and so forth, and some other unions had to go on strike as well. So maybe we'll get back to it. But I see my wife sitting there, Christy, watching Instagram and laughing. Yeah, but hours has Instagram replaced the situation comedy? You know? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think absolutely. How about the fact that like if I turn on a TV show or Netflix or whatever something i'm watching, I'm still scrolling, you know, I'll we have such short attention spans. It's such a disaster. Really, I mean, we really don't have a lot of We don't give anything a lot of time. And if you think about it, like some of the great novels that we used to read by it would take page up to page you know, fifty or one hundred until we really built up to anything that was all shadow Well. I also say it's crazy.
Speaker 2: A lot of the great writers and showrunners and creative people have become involved in series because if you have a series like The Bear or you know, Bad Monkey, which is based in a book that's on Apple TV right now, that's good, you know. You instead of making into a movie that's two hours, you basically make it into three movies where it's an eight hour series. Yeah, you know, because that's what I think has replaced quality movies. Is the series on on Netflix or on streaming.
Speaker 3: Oh, they definitely have, They definitely have. And they're really good. They're really good. The writing is amazing, you know, it's like they they they they're made so that we want to binge watch them. I just started The Perfect Couple tonight with you know, Ellen Hildebrand's adapted book, and it's looking pretty good.
Speaker 2: Is that with who's starring in that?
Speaker 3: I'm sorry?
Speaker 2: And that was filmed here? That's right, that was filmed here in Bosmon, Yeah, and bos actually Chatham. Yeah, so the authors from Nantucket, correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Ellen Hildebrand, that's.
Speaker 2: What I think. So the Truth about Horses that has a shot. If that were to be a series, would you go eight episodes? Would it be just a single. I don't know what you can tell us.
Speaker 3: I well, I think it's at least six six episodes, but because it's broken up into three parts as a novel, and I can easily see each part being two episodes. However, the last producer who's interested that I spoke to felt like that all of the characters you know, could almost be an episode. And there are at least a dozen characters that are you know, possibly worthy of their backstory, worthy of fleshing out, worthy of knowing more about. So you know, I really don't know. I mean, I'm I would love to be part of that kind of as a consultant, but then get back to writing another novel and work on that.
Speaker 2: Can you can you give us who would be any names? Any big name Hollywood people. Have you thought of anybody?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, it's as far as cast I mean I have, I mean I've thought of some, but there's no I don't have any attachments as of yet. I just have production companies who are reading it, who are interested in, you know, and had a few bites of the ones who are interested in potentially adapting it.
Speaker 2: All right, Christy, before we wrap up, and before I let you go. You have to tell me, and I want how do you pronounce the name of your castle?
Speaker 3: Kill key?
Speaker 2: Kill key? Okay there, I was gonna say kill key, but kill key. And it's a it's also it's a hotel now right from what I.
Speaker 3: Understand, Yeah, it's a resort.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a resort. How did this happen? How did you and jail? How do we're going to go buy a castle? I mean, this is this is great. This is great, you know talking to the family. What have you guys done? Well, you know, we just picked up a castle. How did this happen?
Speaker 3: That's hilarious kind of like that. No, uh, I've been going over to Ireland for years horseback riding, and this is even you know, before I met my husband, and he's half Irish and he had never been to Ireland and we met and I was going over I was heading over there with a group to go riding and and and we had just started dating, and he said, well I should come along, and I was like, well, okay, but I don't know what you're going to do when I'm on a horse all day long, because you know, it's sort of a whole day affair. Over there, and because you oftentimes, you know, you stay at a hotel and you have to drive two hours to wherever you're going to do the you know, the long trek on horseback, and then the trek is four to six hours and then it's been you know, all day. So I was like, well, I don't know, I'm not sure what your plan is because he doesn't really ride, and he said, well, just go look for a castle. I definitely thought he was joking at the time, but then as the years went by, he kept looking and and you know, kind of checking out different props and and we were married a Dare manor, which is in a Dare, Ireland near County in County Limerick, and at one point he was, you know, he was thinking he might buy that, but kill Key came up and that was actually more interesting because it was a little more raw. It's a little more out in an area where it's closer to Dublin, and but it's at the same time it's far away from everything. So you know, it takes about an hour and fifteen minutes to get there from Dublin and you really are in the middle of the most beautiful Irish countryside is beautiful. Oh my gosh. But County Kildare horse farm after horse farm after horse farm, and you know, a lot of Ireland is getting developed and so a lot of the other properties that we were looking at were being kind of encroached on by developments and this one wasn't, and so that was definitely appealing, as well as the fact that it's an actual fortress. A lot of you know a lot of people like to say they have a castle, but they don't have a.
Speaker 2: Real Do you have a moat? Do you have a moat?
Speaker 3: There was a moat who was a moat, and so it actually really was a fortress for one and it's one of the oldest still inhabited fortresses. So that's kind of cool. You know. It's the it dates back to eleven eighty, that's.
Speaker 2: A basic that's Is it haunted? Is there haunted? There's going to be a ghost around there somewhere, or has anybody ever? You got to think about this. Somebody has been beheaded in that castle, maybe recently. Who knows.
Speaker 3: That. Comes on over and check it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yet that put that on the brochure.
Speaker 3: You know, well you got to come visit us. I'll try to a golfer.
Speaker 2: I'll try to work it into the schedule. I'm not really I know, I'm not really.
Speaker 3: I'm not either. I'm not either. But I like to mess around and just go out and you know, and try and it's fun. I don't take myself seriously, so every once in a while I can hit the ball.
Speaker 2: I could just go over and get some corned beef and cabbage and I'd leave it at that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I should just I should just stay on a horse.
Speaker 2: Really well, The Truth About Horses. Check it out. You can get it at your local bookstore also online. Terrific story. And hopefully we'll see that in a series someplace soon. And best of luck with the Castle, best of luck with and hopefully we got some more movie production coming to Massachusetts, so we'll keep our fingers crossed.
Speaker 3: Yes and toes yeah, yes, all the all of the above.
Speaker 2: Christy, thanks for joining us. Good to talk to you.
Speaker 3: Likewise, thanks for having me on. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: No problem, Christy Cassman joining us, author, producer, Castle Owner again the debut novel, The Truth Horses. It's a terrific story. Young adult novel. Fourteen year old rysh Tucker along with their parents raised and train horses, and she has a dream of running a horse in the Black Elk, a race that if they wanted to turn their fortunes around, sounds like a good one to me. All right, Still to come WBC's Night Side. Some late breaking developments regarding the shooting in Georgia that I want to discuss with you and we will talk about the Patriots have coming season when the ko yang at eleven o'clock right here on WBC.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Carry tag away for Dan tonight here on WBC, and thank you, Dann. We appreciate that. So some late breaking developments in the tragedy in the Georgia schools shooting. Just so the father of Colt Gray, who is the fourteen year old young man who murdered four people, so he's definitely going away forever. The father, Colin Grade fifty four, who had been interviewed in the past, has been hunting with his son and this was a semi automatic rifle that he used in the shooting, has been charged with four counts of involuntary manslaughter two counts of second degree murder as he allowed his son to possess a weapon. He faces ten to thirty years in prison. And his son went into school and he killed two teachers and he killed two fellow students. Now there's a history here, right. We have seen this prior where parents have gone to jail because they've ignored the warning signs of their son. And the case prior before this, I believe it was in Michigan, the parents were just absolutely freaking stupid, I mean absolute morons, just morons where the school talked to them. The school said there's a problem here, and they said, no, no problem, no, no, no, no, nothing to see here. This case is no pun intendent here. But there is a gray area because I know a lot of people that hunt, you know, and they hunt with their kids who are fourteen, fifteen, sixteen years old, and they're all very responsible gun owners. There seems to be some conflicting reports or they can't really nail down that there had been warning signs from Colchray in the past, that there may have been some sort of threat that was posted on some I don't get this stuff, some sort of video game and they couldn't determine if it was from him or not. And he had denied it, so they couldn't nail him down on that. But what do you think at six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty should the father of this young man go to jail? Now the parents are divorced, so I don't know if he is living with the father or the mother, but they look upon the father as being responsible for allowing his fourteen year old son to have a weapon that he took to school and he killed four people with. We are in desperate times with this, desperate times because if you had said to me, you know, ten years ago or something that, well, if a kid, a teenager committed murder, the father would go to jail. Two of the parents, I would say, wait a minute, that's the parent's not responsible for it. I mean, I don't know if there was a problem with the upbringing and so forth, but the parent didn't commit the crime. But now, because this has become so outrageously common in America, where other countries look at America and they go, you are crazy, and nothing happens with gun and control, nothing ever, changes were totally numb to it. It is mind boggling. So what would you do at six one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Should the father go to jail? Should Colin Gray, the father of Cochray, should he go to jail for allowing his son to possess a semi automatic weapon. A semi automatic weapon where it's very easy to repeat the button or the trigger, it's not an automatic. I've had debates with gun with NRA people about this. With the automatic weapons, you just hold the trigger and it fires off sixty rounds. There are semi semi semi automatic weapons like AR fifteens, and I don't know if that was the case here because I have not seen it in a report. I've just heard that it was a semi automatic weapon or AR fifteens are considered, say, semi automatic weapons, but they're basically a machine gun. There's no there's no reason that somebody can go in and buy a machine gun. Look, I'm all for gun rights. I'm all for hunting, right to bear arms, but I can't understand why anybody needs selling a machine gun. That's where I kind of say, okay, enough's enough here, you know, And an AR fifteen, as far as I'm concerned, as a machine gun, I'm sorry. I just think it is so do I need to go hunting with something that could fire off sixty rounds a minute, or forty rounds a minute, or thirty rounds a minute, no matter what it is, Do I need to do that?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: I don't, is the answer. Desperate times. I don't know if this is going to work. I really don't know by putting the parents of the kids who are responsible for school shootings in jail, but that's how desperate we are. It's crazy, that's how desperate we are right now to fix this. The bottom line is, a fourteen year old shouldn't be able to go in and get a weapon and get a gun and take it to school. It should be under lock and key, and the parents should hold the key. I think that that is common sense because one of the things that I would worry about if I was a gun owner, which I'm not, and I took my kids hunting, is what about their friends. No, that has happened in the past. Kids come over, they want, hey, let me show you my dad's gun. Something happens, boom, tragedy. That's what I would be concerned with. I don't want any of his friends around it. I don't want anybody showing off. I don't want anybody saying, hey, let me look at dad's gun. I don't want that. That's the problem. So while I can appreciate families that hunt and are responsible gun owners, and there are children, well they're not even children anymore. There are young people, teenagers that are fourteen and fifteen to sixteen years old, that are a responsible gun owner and handle weapons. I understand that they go hunting, they go out with the family, they hunting. It's fine, but it has to be under lock and key so that a teenager cannot go in and get the gun on his or her own. I think that that's common sense, don't you think people, I mean, that's common sense right there, because I'll tell you right now, this father is going to get convicted.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: He did. He was interviewed in the past and the father, Colin Gray, said, my son is a responsible gun owner. He understands weapons, and he probably at the time he probably was and the father took him to the range, and the father took him hunting and instructed him how to properly handle weapon, handle a weapon. But he also wasn't aware of the mental health issues that his son obviously had and was suffering because his parents were getting a divorce. The bottom line is teenagers should not have access to weapons. And now see, you know you gotta if you're gonna go hunting with your father, you're gonna go hunting with your mother. You know, you get adult around, fine, but you cannot allow children that can go to school and take a weapon to school to have access to a weapon or a gun. And that's why this father in Colin Gray is gonna go to jail. He's definitely going to jail. There's no way he gets out of this. I don't see it. I mean, there's the ramifications that just to dire completely. I don't know how you feel about this. At six, one, seven, two, five, four, ten thirty. Coming up at eleven o'clock. Oh, we'll just get a little bit lighter talk, a little football talk, a little little Patriots Nicole Gang right here on WBZ Boston's Radio.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World Night Side Studios on WBZ News.
Speaker 2: Yo, Big show coming up tomorrow night, Big show, people gonna be big. Did I mention it was going to be big? Gonna be a big show? Now we do know that ABC It's got a special twenty twenty coming up tomorrow night and the Karen Reid case, right, so we are also going to talk about that once we've had a chance to see what's going on in television. We'll be joined in the ten o'clock hour by Bob George and Bill Kickham, attorneys, and they are going to give us their insight on what Karen Reid had to say in the twenty twenty interview. So immediately we'll be breaking it down for you right here on WBC. Fascinating stuff. And what I thought of is there is no way a member of the jury in her next trial is not going to see this, right, I mean, this is gonna be all over the place. It's gonna be We're gonna be obviously playing various segments of the interview here on WBZ and ABC affiliate ABC Radio Afila. It's gonna be all over the place. It's gonna be on the web, it's gonna be a television, it's gonna be on the radio. It's gonna be on satellite radio. It's gonna be on the old I g hell, it might even make TikTok. It's gonna be everywhere. So if you're gonna be a member of the jury, or you're gonna say that, Oh no, I never saw that, Karen read interview. You're kidding me.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: From what I've told this was recorded prior to the trial, which I don't understand. Why did they wait so long to run this thing? I don't know. Maybe that was part of the agreement with the legal team at the time. That's something we'll talk to Bill and Bob our attorneys about tomorrow. Coming up at ten o'clock right here on WBZ Boston's news Radio, the upcoming foot all season well for the New England Patriots. It's uh, well, you know, it is what it is. I was asked to make a prediction the other day. I said, I don't know, and I you know, I did sports forever, as you know, and after a while you just get tired of predictions. You're like, I'm done with the whole prediction thing, because it's all a crapshoot. If you make a prediction, whether it's politics, current events, an election, sports, and you back three hundred, which is three out of ten, folks, Just to remind you, if you do that, you're doing well, which means you're wrong seventy percent of the time. When I did sports radio. That's what I used to tell people. I go, We're wrong at least at least seventy percent of the time. It doesn't matter. Nobody cares at sports. Who cares? All sports fans in this town's care. I'll tell you that right I will tell you that right now. They care. But what I'm interested to see is how passionate the Patriots fans remain. Now. I do think there's gonna be There'll definitely be a drop in attendance. There will be because going to a football game in Foxborough, which listen, I worked there for a long time. I loved it, going to Jillette Stadium. But when they're not winning, to take the whole day, tailgate, go down, come back, sitting, traffic, it's a lot. When you have Tom Brady as your quarterback and you're winning Super Bowls, people absolutely love it. So I definitely think you're going to see thinning crowds. What about the passion? Will people get angry? That's what I wonder. People used to get angry about the Red Sox. I'm not sure people will get angry about the Patriots. I don't know if there's a lot of anger left when it comes to sports anymore. I think the younger generation generate though, the Y gen, I think when it comes to sports, I don't think they get pissed off the way we used to. They're ruining nas samma, you know that whole stick. I don't think they do good for them. They're probably a little more mature than the rest of us. They're two into the gambling thing, which that you know, that's a whole other thing that we never dealt with. I mean, there's so many ways for the newer generations to consume and participate in sports, whether it's gambling, whether it's fantasy, whether it's having some you know, a phone in your hand. As Christy Cashman mentioned, you sit down and watch TV. Does anybody put down their phone? I do because I want to focus on what I'm doing, you know, I love what I still love watching TV or content or streaming or whatever you want to call it now, but I'll put on my phone. But most people don't. They keep their phone going. They're watching the game, they're checking their fantasy score, they're checking their gambling, they're checking how they doing, how they looking on DraftKings, you know, how's it going. So that's a whole new way of conser and I think because there are so many distractions which sports now, you don't really have time to get pissed off. I mean, if you were just watching the game, right, if you're just watching the game, by the way, Kansas City leads Baltimore twenty ten in the third quarter. If you're just watching the game and somebody fumbles on the goal line, or you know, you're the Patriots losing the Super Bowl fifty five to ten to the Chicago Bears or what have you, then you get pissed off, right when you see a bad play, the ball goes through Buckner's legs, somebody gets thrown out a home the Celtics lose to the Lakers in the NBA Championship, the Bruins lose to you know, then you can focus on it. But now when something goes wrong with your team, you just go, Ah, what's going on on my phone? What's happening in the other games? I could still win their fantasy My team's getting their ass kicked, you know what. Jakobe Brissetts through three picks, the Patriots are down twenty four zip. It's only the second quarterback. I'll watch fantasy I'll go check my fantasy team. That never happened with us. We were too busy throwing our shoe through the TV screen. I'll go look at Fantasy Plus. Also the NFL. I remember growing up because the Patriots in the sixties weren't very good. So this was giant country, as people know. But friends of mine were Steelers fans. I was a Cowboys fan. For a while. People rooted for the Niners, people rooted for winners in the NFL, and people started to root for the Patriots when they became winners big time. Will that continue or is it just too simple to say, you know what, I'm gonna watch Patrick Mahomes Quite frankly, that's what I do. Look, the Patriots had a phenomenal run. It's a terrific team, It's a terrific organization. They have tremendous ownership. I love the craft family They've done. You cannot ask for anything more from an owner. What the Crafts have done with the Patriots. You can't ask. Even if the next ten years the Patriots sucked layoff, lay off, you can't ask the Red Sox aren't spending any money. Oh, I mean, you can get mad at them. But with the Pats, no way. But I don't know if anybody will be angry. See that's just me. But will people be angry if Mayo struggles his first two years? Are people going to be calling for his head? Look, Jacoby Brissett is a placeholder. Jacoby Brissett is right there so the draft pick doesn't get his head knocked in. And I'm concerned for Jacoby Brissette's health because they have no offensive line at all, and they are going he is going to be running for his life. He is going to earn his money. I will tell you that right now. There's no doubt about that. He's going to be earning as dough. So I think in the NF well, I don't think people are gonna get angry that they don't get angry at the Patriots. They go, I'll watch Kansas City, or I'll watch Baltimore, or I'm gonna see what Rabel's doing with the Chargers, or I'll you know, I'll watch this team. I watch it now. I don't think anybody I am curious to see what happens with the Jets because I have some friends of mine that are just Jets fans, and they have added they have led a miserable life. They have. Now, if you know Rogers stays healthy, they should be able to do something. You just got to keep that guy up right. Hopefully he doesn't get COVID.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a little hanging fruit. That was just way too easy. That was just wait, that was just Garrett. That was just unfair. That's just well when it comes to Aaron Rodgers, what a nut job. But we know the Patriots are not going to be good. So I will say this. I can't believe I'm saying it, but I will say I hope the Jets are good. I think the Jet fans deserve it. I think it'll make it more interesting in the AFC East. Give Buffalo a run for their money, and the Giants sucks. So though I am rooting for the Giants coaching staff, I really am bright. I think he's I feel bad. I thought, remember the Giants went out and I think when he his first year they went like six in a row. I thought he was really going to rebuild the Giants and it just hasn't worked out for them. All Right, we're going to talk Patriots. Nicole Gang joins us next from the Boston Globe, right here on wbz's night side