Speaker 1: All right, ladies and gentlemen, welcome in to a Friday edition of Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety we made it.
Speaker 2: The weekend is kind of here.
Speaker 1: I want the vibe today to feel like the weekend has arrived and we're we're excited because everybody, you know, as they say, everybody's working for the weekend, unless I guess you know, maybe you work weekends. But nonetheless, we're with you for the next three hours and I hope you will stick around again. It is Coffee and Company, and as you likely know, we are fueled by Thornton, So make sure you support those that support us and support and Thornton's. Of course, it has been a big supporter for for a long long time. So sign up to become a member of their Refreshing Awards program. If you haven't already, it's free. If you've got an Android or an iPhone, then you should. You should download the app and you will be You'll be good to go. My name is Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery alongside today. You're an iPhone guy, right, I assume yes, Okay, huge iPhone guy. The major I'm not an Apple snob by any means.
Speaker 3: Yeah me either. I'm not one of those guys.
Speaker 1: But actually maybe I am an Apple snob because like I don't have I feel like to be an Apple snob because having an iPad and an iPhone. I mean again, maybe this is the snob coming out in me. Like if you can choose that, then yeah, do that rather than getting an Android device or I guess whatever. I guess they make tablets like iPads that are on the Android operating system. I just don't see a lot of them. Yeah, you're likely to run into somebody with an Android phone, I'd say more so than an Android tablet.
Speaker 3: But what I'm getting at the surface pros that they use in the NFL.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to the the Apple snobs like people who I mean, they kind of make Apple products like their personality. I feel like, you've got to have the app the MacBook, yes, right, Like I'm a wind, I've got a Windows laptop. I've never had anything other than Windows. It's really all I've ever known. I'm pretty savvy with computers, so it's just something I'll always stick with. But the first like smartphone I had that was you know, like touch screen where you didn't have to like actual punch actually punch buttons was an iPhone, so I've just stuck with it. I have an iPad, so like I think, to be an Apple snob, you really have to have like every device. Maybe you have an Apple tatoo. I don't know, but I will make a complaint. And John and I, the company man, used to used to go back and forth because he's an Android. He's an Android guy, and he kind of just, you know, he lost the war without realizing he lost the war. And I guess there really is no winning and losing. Both phones can technically do the exact same thing, and it really is just whatever your preference is. I'll be honest with you. My wife, who was my then girlfriend, she bought me an iPhone for I think it might have been for Valentine's Day, like many many, many years ago. There's some kind of a well she's awesome, which is why I married her and we share life together and we are madly in love. But there was some kind of a special to where she could get to so we both got iPhones and we ended up at that point. I mean, this was a big step in our relationship.
Speaker 2: Austin.
Speaker 1: We ended up on the same phone plan like that was you know, it was whenever I knew. Okay, we're getting pretty serious here. So if she would have gotten whatever the latest Android phone was, if it's a Samsung or a you know, no Key, I don't even know what that does that no Kia still exist, It probably doesn't.
Speaker 3: The Google Pixel is the new thing.
Speaker 1: If it would have been one of those, I probably would have just got used to that and stuck with it. But because the first was an iPhone, it's just what I got used to, and you know, it's what I It's what I have stuck with. But John, you know, same thing happened with him to where he's always been an Android guy. And again overall and some people like this is one of my favorite things that we talk about amongst each other in society, is that you could kind of be playful about it, but like, deep down, like you you really are loyal to whatever side you're on. Like there have been some people that you know, have have have switched, but then they go back to like what they're used to. What So nonetheless, it was me, I was an Android guy at first. When did you switch?
Speaker 4: Probably a couple of years after I moved here, it was more or less to try to like impress the girls just because like all of them, you know you like, oh you got the yeah, the green messages.
Speaker 3: I just kind of wanted to be, you know.
Speaker 1: So you felt that energy from others that like maybe there would be on level of a judgment on their end if you were not iPhone worthy you were more androids.
Speaker 4: Yes, right, yes, And that was during my formative years, still trying to find myself when I first moved here. But it was also like kind of more of it, like a community, and back then, like I don't even think the id say back then, it is only ten years ago. But even like the like the emojis time is the emojis that you'd get, like they wouldn't translate to other phones, Like you could send like the smiling or laughing face emoji, and like that would just come up as like a block on androids. So some of my iPhone friends or girls that I was talking to at the time would like send me an emoji and it would just be like kind of blocked out and they wouldn't get the same emojis that.
Speaker 2: I set back. Yeah, you can't have that. Yeah, that can't have.
Speaker 3: I had to. I had to make the switch.
Speaker 2: It makes sense.
Speaker 3: I talent Apple.
Speaker 1: So John, you know, he he's very stubborn and and I think he knows that, like because he could get an iPhone and he chose not to, and I we were I would just kind of rivet him about how, you know, like I don't know how anybody could make the argument that and Android is better. And I'm doing it just all in fun, and he's kind of laughing along. And then I'm like, one day I will, I will actually flip you. I'm gonna I'm gonna turn you out and you're gonna be an Apple guy like it or not, and it's just gonna happen. And he was like, Nope, no way. And then at some point the conversation shifted to where I was like, I'll have an intervention and he was like, well, that's already happened, and no joke. Seriously, I don't think it was something that they literally made like a big deal. But his family did like kind of corner him and schedule, like, hey, you're the only one of us that's not on Apple right now, Like everybody's got an iPhone. You're messing up all the group chats. You're doing it only because you're stubborn. We have a phone plen to where you can get a new iPhone, and you won't do it. And you know, he was just like, Nope, I'm loyal. I'm sticking with Android. And but it was like proof to like, yeah, your family was on the other side, like you were Austin. Yeah, you made the change to the iPhone side, and like now you don't even remember life before it right now. And I've been trying to tell John it's the same thing. And like you may feel dirty at first, you may feel like you're cheating on your Android platform.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you'll leave them in the rear.
Speaker 1: View pretty quickly because that life with Apple is just better now. I bring all this up to say, and I just now remember how we got here. I was telling people to download the Thornton's app or down with the Refreshing Awards app, regardless of what platform you have, Android or iPhone, Apple iOS, whatever.
Speaker 2: And I have a.
Speaker 1: Major complaint about the latest update if I ost Okay, So more often than not, I don't really notice a whole lot of eighteen point one right, Yeah, Like I don't notice a whole lot of differences, And if because the phone is such a constant thing that even if there is something that is visually a big change as far as when you open your phone, you get used to it really quickly. Because a lot of us, myself included, I'm probably worse than most. I am on my phone all the time, probably more than I should be. So I found my first update that has happened to where I'm like pissed off every time I look at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's the new photos thing. Have you seen it?
Speaker 1: Like how they're organized, Like if you just go to the photos app on the iPhone, like I'll get used to it. But like, I don't want you to give me recent days, people in pets, pen collection, memories, trips. I just want to go to the pictures that i've if I could just look at them all in order. Yeah, I don't need you creating collages with my sixteen thousand photos that I have on here now.
Speaker 3: No, that's annoying.
Speaker 4: And they have like my thing is I'm always deleting photos too. We're getting them out and like the recently deleted is even hard to find, you gotta it used to be all the way like at the the end of the album if you swipe right. But now you got to go through, like you said, all the collages and it's like buried underneath at like the very bottom.
Speaker 3: You're right about that.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know that recently deleted was a thing until it until I was trying to free up some space because I had some really large video files and they do end up, i think, deleting themselves after a certain amount of time, but they stayed there in case you want to go back. So here I am freeing up all the space and nothing was It wasn't there. And then I went to recently deleted and saw that you got to delete it from there. But I'm still going to always be team iPhone. I just can't imagine life without it. But I found myself here lately, and I'm more mindful of it because you know, the company man himself is a good guy, John.
Speaker 2: He's one of the best guys I know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'm trying to be a little bit more open minded to where you know, he's telling me, Look, Nick, it's I'm telling you there's not a difference. In fact, this is where Android is better. This is where Android may be better. So I'm just kind of thinking, okay, what are some complaints here? So I used to ask him, all right, I'm mad about this with my iPhone, what does.
Speaker 2: The Android do?
Speaker 1: And occasionally I would find myself think, okay, score one for the Android users, but I don't know about their photos selection. But right now this iOS update, I hope whoever decided to implement this change, I hope they have a bad weekend. That's what I'm gonna say. Hope they have a bad weekend because I'm not happy with it. I mean, you can the search tool is pretty awesome because I can just put in like a name of somebody that I don't even like. For example, my daughter's name is Maya. She doesn't have a cell phone, she's eight years old, so I can just type her name in and somehow like it knows to just pull up all the pictures of or whenever, like I guess because I've sent pictures and said, hey, here's a new picture of Maya. Yeah, or so the search tool, the search function is more useful than I realized. But as far as just like when I wanted to go to the photos app on my phone and use it like I have for the beginning of time since I've had an iPhone. It's now different and I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I haven't haven't gotten used to it just yet.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's it's a little bit extra. And no, I wouldn't think that you're an Apple snob. I think the Apple snob. It's it's the Holy trinity, right, It's the iPhone, it's the iPad, and then it's the Mac, and then you could go in the next different way. Well, now I know that they have Apple TV, like actually on some smart TVs, but they just used to have the exterior plug in for Apple TV that you can buy, and that's how, you know, took advantage of the app and everything like that. And some people even have like I forget what it's called, but it's like the Apple version of Alexa. Some people's whole houses are hooked up via Apple and I think that's a little bit too far.
Speaker 1: I got to tell you something really embarrassing, and I promise you we'll get into what we're gonna do today on the show in this a second. But I have to admit something because I felt very dumb a lot of times in my life.
Speaker 2: Okay, probably on a.
Speaker 1: Daily basis, but I'm pretty savvy from a technological standpoint. Like that's I mean not to say like I'm a big brainiact, but I used to work in software before I was able to make this my full time career, and I've taught myself how to do a lot of things. But' and I'll always remember this, and I'm nobody would know this if it wasn't me admitting it. And I've told like my my friends and whatnot, because you know, they're also like, why would you think that? But for the longest time, I thought an Apple TV was an actual TV made by Apple. I didn't realize that Apple TV is an app, is an app like like HBO, Max, Netflix. And I remember like we bought something that included Apple TV, and I called who what was it? Oh, it was some kind of we were we were doing something with Spectrum. I think it was, yeah, some kind of an upgrade because we were going with faster internet, no longer needing any TV from them and no longer needing DirecTV or anything. And I was like, yeah, I thought you guys were gonna send me the Apple TV. I thought it was included in the bundle and they were like, sir, we are not we don't know what you're talking about. It. I'm like, well, I need to speak to somebody because I was told I was getting Apple TV and I I mean, I can I'm getting cringe goosebumps right now from how dumb I was for that, and like I it was like it was next level dumb for me because I know a lot of you're sitting there thinking like this guy's a dumbass every day, but that was like next level, Like, man, I really feel feel like an idiot.
Speaker 3: I mean I can't.
Speaker 4: I can't hate you for that because I mean when they make something that says Apple in front of an Apple iPhone, yeah, Apple air pods, and then you get Apple TV, you don't think of just a software Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I was like they said it because they did ship equipment like for us to do the upgrade ourselves, which was really easy to do. And I'm like, well, where's the TV.
Speaker 2: I felt like such an idiot.
Speaker 3: I thought you're about to say you thought it was a TV shape like an Apple.
Speaker 1: Well, I thought it was like I thought it was like a cool monitor that was like a TV right. That was all sleek and you know, had the Apple logo and all that, but I was I was right, way wrong. We got a lot to get into today. We're gonna be joint coming up here at about three forty by Doctor k macroy was gonna be joining us yesterday. Of course, he's from Proriat physical therapy and I'm gonna pick his brain as best I can. When it comes to the injury situation for Louisville, we do know that they're going to be without two guys the rest of the year, and that's not ideal at all. That's case in Prior and korin Johnson. But as far as Traiolray, when does he come back? Is there any chance at all that maybe Ali Khalifa and Kobe Rodgers could end up getting healthy and burn an a year because the team needs them. So you know, those are questions he can't give direct answers to because he probably doesn't know, but he'll at least be able to tell us. Like on the injury side, if you know what the expected timetable would be for Trey Ora, and you know, depending upon what the specifics are, and what I mean is like when did Kobe Rodgers have surgery? When did Ali Khalif have surgery? And those are things we can easily get the information from. And you never know, not every injury is the same, right, some guys can take a month longer to heal from the exact same thing.
Speaker 2: It just depends.
Speaker 1: But we're probably going to be following this a little closer than at least right now, we're following it closer than we typically do because this team, I mean, they got seven scholarship players that they feel comfortable playing and that's just a scary, scary thing. And there's a big basketball weekend here locally, I mean, Louisvell's got Duke on Sunday, and I know I.
Speaker 2: Talked about it yesterday, but what a roller coaster it's been.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 1: You got so excited at the start of the season, your second game of the years against Tennessee, and man, everybody was the wide out was awesome and it was such a letdown, not because you know, like I mean, it was a letdown. They they got blown out and it didn't turn into everybody just saying, Okay, louisve is gonna be terrible this year. But man, it was a wake up call that you're not on Tennessee's level, and it turns out not many people are. Because Tennessee is the is undefeated, They're going to be number one in the country. And every other team, like every other elite team that is in consideration for you know, I mean, I guess there's a lot of teams in consideration to be Final Four contenders. But what I mean is teams that have you know, remained within the top fifteen, top ten throughout the year thus far. They all have at least one loss, some have multiple losses. Tennessee is undefeated and they're gonna be number one. So that was that was a test that was, you know, not a successful one, but doesn't look as bad now, I don't think. And then you go to the Bahamas because you had two nothing games in between with Bellerman and Winthrop, and then in the Bahamas that was awesome. And then you lose Case in Pryor, you find out it's for the entire year, You find out Corn Johnson's not going to play it all this year the rest of the way, and then you get your butt kicked by Old Miss. So, I mean, I don't know what to expect against Duke I don't necessarily expect to win, and I think a lot of fans are kind of with me. But you know what, I said the same thing about Indiana because I just thought Indiana was better. And the most recent result for Louisville when it comes to games against really good teams at that time was Tennessee and it didn't go well. So no clue what we're gonna get on Sunday. But well, mean, I was trying to give you something. I was trying to at the last minute there find some kind of like a positive thing to finish with before we move on.
Speaker 2: But like, Duke's really good.
Speaker 1: They have some insane talent, and you know, Louisville is shorthanded, not nearly as talented, and the last time we saw him it was a real wake up call that when it comes to case in prior like they really are gonna miss him in a major way. We'll talk some college tips coming up a little bit later on with the one and only Kevin Sweeney of Sports Illustrated. He's gonna join us around four forty, so stick with us. A lot to get to. We've got conference championship games going on this weekend. I kind of think they need to just figure out something here because it makes no sense to punish teams who lose in the championship game. It's an accomplishment to make it there, and yet there are teams that are going to be punished for making it and it just you can't really make any sense of that. So stick with us. Quick Break will come back here on the other side. Yes, this is earlier than usual, but we're working on clock management today and we're gonna do better at it. I say we It's my fault.
Speaker 2: It's me. I'm in control, so don't lump Austin into this. This is just me. So I'm gonna try to do better.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I'm gonna quit yapping right now as we go to break right here on Sports Talk seven ninety that's right to Sis Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety five oh two, five seventy nine hundred is the number if you want to give us a call. We will get to the phone lines a little bit later on. I don't know if we have enough time now. We've got to guests coming up here before too long, so maybe we'll do that later on In the four o'clock hour, but in the text line is always open twenty four to seven, three hundred and sixty five days a year, five oo two six five three zero seven ninety the ln N Federal Credit Union text line. And some good questions coming in in regards to Louisville's injury situation. And I'm glad somebody asked this because I actually did look it up the other day, you know, doing a little research for the show. Believe it or not, folks, I do prepare for this show. You may not be able to tell, but there's a lot of hard, extensive preparation that goes into it.
Speaker 3: But emphasis on the hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hard and extensive. That's that's me. In fact, that's I.
Speaker 1: If I hear those two words, I look around thinking somebody's talking about me. To be honest with you, but you could not add players mid season, so I didn't know the answer. It was asked among fans. I saw like on Twitter, and then I went and looked into it. And we've had a couple of people ask it this week. Because they need players, they need bodies in the portal.
Speaker 2: It's a free for all.
Speaker 1: It seems like players can do whatever they want, you can play for one team one night, the next night go play for somebody else. I mean, I'm exaggerating, because you can't really do that. But players have really in the last couple of years, really been able to just challenge the NCAA and have success in a way that they probably never thought possible. But as far as somebody transferring mid school year, mid season, because obviously the semester for college students will end here before too long and they'll be on Christmas break, and you can transfer then because you know you're at semester break, but you can't play sports in the same school year. In fact, it says there's no limit the number of times an athlete can enter the transfer portal. The NCAA sent out memos to institutions twice during the twenty three to twenty twenty four stating that the multi time transfers could play immediately in twenty twenty four to twenty five without securing a waiver. But athletes cannot transfer midyear and play for a new school in the same athletic season, so the athletic season has already started.
Speaker 2: Therefore you could.
Speaker 1: Transfer, meaning they could go get somebody in the portal right now if they were to leave and enter the portal whenever it opens up because of the semester break, but they wouldn't be able to play, which really just be a waste. You'd be mean, you don't have scholarship, and you don't have I mean, I don't know why you'd give anybody money, So you know, i'd say that, you know, there's no chance that they add anybody to the roster, and even if you could, I'm not sure if that's ideal for a for a you know, for a for a coach to do that. I mean, clearly they need bodies, but it's just, you know, that's where we are right asking a crazy question like that, but also kind of knowing, like hey, like maybe you know, because they need bodies, they don't have players right now, which is just crazy because that was the one of the it was one of the things that you really felt like was going to be the strength of this team, which is depth, and now they don't have that at all. So I mean, I guess maybe there's a scenario somebody could fight it, like we are at it. We are at a point where players are probably gonna like try anything like Diego Pavia the Vandy quarterback like he. I don't even I didn't see the final resolution, but he's in a lawsuit with the n c double A with some kind of protection order because he's claiming he should get another year and I don't know what. Again, maybe he lost, but I feel like more often than not, anytime i've seen somebody challenge the NCAA, rather it be a player or a school, and they do it in court, the instatly loses. But I would not get your hopes up if you're expecting somebody to join this team during the season and help them out.
Speaker 2: They need it.
Speaker 1: But don't think it's I don't think it's possible. All right, So let's talk really quickly about the transfer portal. It hasn't even actually opened yet, but there are already players that have entered or have said they're going to enter the portal, and they've already scheduled visits. But it's just another example that nobody follows rules or cares at all anymore, because like by setting up a visit, let me give you so Miller Moss, the quarterback from USC who lit Louisville up last year, he is going to enter the portal when it opens up. I guess is that today. Maybe maybe it's today, maybe it's tomorrow. I'm not sure. But he will visit Louisville next week. That was reported about on three Sports. He is going to visit both Louisville and Missouri next week. And just think about this. The fact that you've already scheduled visits means you've probably already talked to somebody, right, I mean, I don't think you just show up and say, hey, nice to meet you. I'm in the portal, couldn't talk to you, but I just wanted to get a flight here and see if maybe I could be of service to you. Guys, Like, it's not how it works. So there's clearly been communication going on and that's technically not allowed, but nobody gives a flying rats ass about the NAA rules anymore, because that's just that's just where we are.
Speaker 3: Monday the ninth is when the portal opens.
Speaker 2: Up, Okay, so it'll be here soon.
Speaker 1: So he's already got his his trips arranged to Louisville and Missouri. But he you know, he technically isn't isn't supposed to be talking to anybody just yet. So he is you know, I trust Jef Brahm, I really do, and I know he lit Louisville up last year, but I feel like him getting benched at USC isn't really a great sign. Now. With that said, maybe it was just something thing that Lincoln Riley was trying to do because they weren't winning. But yeah, he ended up. I guess he got his first career start against the louivill in that Bowl game last year, and I knew he had a good game, but I forgot that he threw for three hundred and seventy two yards and six touchdowns against the Cards last year in the Holiday Bowl. So then, of course he became the full time starter this year. Got off to a good start. They beat USC or not USM, sorry, USC beat LSU, and that looked like that was going to be a pretty valuable win, and I guess technically it was for USC, but they did not have a good season by any means. So he started the verse nine games and was completing about sixty five percent of his passes, threw for over twenty five hundred yards, had eighteen touchdowns and nine interceptions. But then he threw I think it was three interceptions when they lost to Washington and he got benched, and then at that point he, I guess decided in his mind, well I'm done here. So no clue if he's going to be the guy Louisville really focuses on, because again, the portal hasn't even opened yet. But last year, Jeff Brom, I mean, it was pretty early with Tyler Schuck. If you remember there was he was in the portal, he had scheduled to visit and it was done, I mean, and other guys later hit the portal, and I think fans were thinking, Okay, if this guy can stay healthy or you know, because health issues aside Shuck and I guess maybe the injuries keeping him from playing in a lot of games led to you being a little bit underwhelmed with his numbers. But it wasn't just the injury situation.
Speaker 2: You know, even when.
Speaker 1: Healthy, he was solid, but it never really it really was nothing within his five six years of playing elsewhere that you felt like, Okay, we know exactly what we're getting. Well, Jeff Brom knew at least what he liked about Shuck, and Shuck came here, played a full season healthy and he was a pretty damn good quarterback, a guy that I wish played here longer than just one year. So I'm gonna trust Jeff Brohm. But if history repeats itself, maybe he gets him here on campus and sells Miller Moss. Hey, I know what you can do with your arm, and I'm sure you know what I can do as a play caller and a guy that develops quarterbacks. Why don't we make this happen? Because I don't think Miller Moss is gonna be close to being one of the most expensive quarterbacks in the portal, because you know there's gonna be other I mean, I shouldn't say that, because I don't know that for certain, but benched and then hitting the portal usually doesn't end up to where everybody's gonna be lining up to bring you in. And we've already had one person on the text line mentioned this, and I hear you. I just I won't claim to know enough about the USC situation to give you a direct answer. But yeah, if Lincoln Riley's moving on from you at quarterback, and Lincoln Riley is kind of in that Jeff brom tier as far as maybe not accomplishments. Obviously, Lincoln Raley's been to a lot of playoffs. I'm just saying those are guys that are viewed as very, very innovative minds when it comes to offense. So yeah, I mean, I wouldn't say that it's a huge concern. Look, at the end of the day, I trust Jeff Brom. But him getting benched and him knowing that and knowing that the guy who wanted to move on from him and put him on the bench was Lincoln Riley not great signs. But again, I think Jeff Brom has proven really with this past year was shucked that he's if he sees somebody and he likes what he and he likes what they have, and he feels like it can work, then then you know we should trust him. Now on the Kentucky side, they I mean, they're losing everybody in the portal. And yesterday I was having some fun because I couldn't. I mean I could, but it was hard to have fun and troll and get into the weeds with you know, Big Blue Billy and you know RUP's rafters on Twitter. I'm just making up non exiting you know those kind of names you see on Twitter Kentucky fans that you know, are anonymous and just you know, our our terrorists online honestly, and then and they've been you know, making fun of Louisville football in my mentions for years because.
Speaker 2: They could, they had bragging rights, they had scoreboard.
Speaker 1: Well now we have scoreboard and it's nice to kind of get into the weeds a little bit, kind of get kind of get ugly. And I don't mean like on a personal level, but I felt a little bit of is this what the kids are saying now, Austin, you're the younger part of the show here, like it's showing or it's telling, Like, yeah, the way giving, it's giving. See I'm so old. I'm such a grandpa. I'm such a grandpa. It's giving. So last night with you, yeah it is, it's giving. Out of touch. I couldn't help myself when I saw a tweet from a UK fan about all the players they're losing in the poor and we're talking about Dain Key, Barrian Brown, Dion Walker, Menci, the five star Ligneman that was the first guy to hit the portal, Jordan Dingle, their tight end Harston. I don't know if he's hit the portal just yet, but there's some speculation that he will, like they're losing the most talented players on their team, and as we discussed earlier in the week, Mark Stoops and Vince Mayor have kind of made it to well, hey, we need to value character more than talent. And they're not wrong, like you need to have both. But the attempt here to spin that your program has no momentum and you're losing your best players trying the ability to spin that as a positive is really impressive. But what I was going to say, but I'm glad I asked because I would have said it incorrectly. It's giving Kenny Payne year two vibes. What I mean by that is like, we saw what happened in the first year of Kenny payin and I knew and couldn't even fake it, that like this was gonna end really badly, and that even if they win out and brought in Michael Jordan and the Monstars from Space Jam with Kenny Payne coaching the team, it wasn't gonna work out.
Speaker 2: Like I knew that, and I think that can tell.
Speaker 1: And I'm not at all comparing Kenny Paine as a basketball coach to Mark Stups as a football coach because nowhere. I mean, I wouldn't as much as this is a rivalry that is very heated and there's a lot of hatred, I wouldn't insult somebody like that because that's just crossing the line. Comparing anybody what they do to Kenny Payne being ahead basketball coach. Again, that's that's crossing the line. But you you know, the momentum is not there. You kind of know what's going on, like you can see what's gonna happen. You feel as if you're away like this is this there's the chances of this ending or I guess not ending, but this the chances of Stoop salvaging things in the next couple of years they're rolling in football and they're they're cocky again and they feel like they've got something special. I'd say the chances of that are are much much slimmer than the chances of this being a really ugly exit because Stoops isn't gonna walk away from a crazy contract that nobody else would give him, and yet his fans.
Speaker 2: Want him gone. So you know.
Speaker 1: There's no momentum. You know you're losing all your best players. Momentum is a big factor. Yeah, you've got nil money to go, you know. But I guess I'll just read for you directly the tweet that I couldn't help but go back and forth with, because it says Kentucky just free up about seventy five percent of the nil by not having to pay all those players I mentioned, and then they mentioned, you know, this was a positive, and I'm thinking, like, wow, what a spin to have to do that. And maybe they do go out there and get some big names in the portal, but man, I'm telling you, momentum is a factor, and they have none. Now they've got money that matters too. But like if you've got guys who, well, I guess you are selling opportunity. I mean, if you're losing, you know, you're clearly losing your quarterback vandergriff But aren't you going with Cutter Bowlie, So like you're probably not even looking for a quarterback in the portal. Yeah, you're gonna lose burying Brown dain Key. Therefore, maybe you can go sell receivers and receivers obvious one. Opportunity, Like the portal is about money and opportunity more than anything that matters. And I guess Kentucky could potentially sell both of those things, but the players that you would need to really get it turned around. I feel like they're going to also have opportunities and money elsewhere, and those teams probably aren't coming off of a one and seven season in the SEC. Just just a hunch, so all is right in the world where we can be the you know, we can be the not the a holes, because I'm not. You know, it's not like I'm on social media being mean to people, but you know, just observing them crumbling as a football fan base is it is a little satisfying just knowing that they were so arrogant and so full of themselves for many years and it was really based off of more than anything that they won. Weren't in the bottom tier of power football anymore, but also they were beaten their rival and we had to just take it. And now, you know, we don't quick break. We'll come back on the other side. Talk about these basketball injuries with the one and only doctor Eric McElroy of proraat Physical Therapy.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm totally wrong here. I got my guests mixed up. I'm glad.
Speaker 1: I just remember that we're not talking with Eric McElroy. Next, we're talking to Kevin Sweeney. Next, let's talk to college basketball with him. He covers college hoops for Sports Illustrated. That's next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety