Speaker 1: Fed up with the everyday grind, tired out from the summer heat, want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape, escape designed to free you from the four walls of to day for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: You were caught in a web of nightmare, struggling to free yourself from sleep, while constantly threateningly.
Speaker 4: Your destruction draws.
Speaker 1: Closer, and you know, unless you will awake, the ultimate conclusion is.
Speaker 2: Dead to night.
Speaker 5: We escape to twenty two hundred a d And the fearsome picture of the last stays of civilization, as H. G. Wells told it, And here is terrifying story dream of armageddon.
Speaker 6: From the very beginning, the dream is quite vivid and real, much more real than the dull world of business that moves by day. And in a short time I begin to thrust the waking world aside and live my life wholly in the dream night by night. I was not then aware, of course, of the the hideous ending to come, a thing so horrible to face that even though I doze now in my chair, I dare not sleep. I can't recall exactly when the dream, if it is a dream, first began, oh a month ago, perhaps at any rate, I fell asleep in my flight and awoke in another place and another time. That is to say, as I fell asleep here, I awoke there far away, on an island in the Mediterranean, and hundreds of years in the future.
Speaker 7: Headen, Heiden, you must wake up now, wake up?
Speaker 6: But I where where am I here with me?
Speaker 7: Of course? Oh, Hiden, my dear, you've been dreaming.
Speaker 6: Oh yes, yes, I I remember now. I was with such a vivid dreamer. I thought I was a man living hundreds of years ago, Sillep. But it took me a moment to shake it off.
Speaker 7: And was I there with you in the dream?
Speaker 6: I mean you're here with me now. That that's the important thing. Has there been no word? Not nothing has changed.
Speaker 7: Nothing, otherwise I should have awakened you.
Speaker 6: Good. Perhaps they finally decided to leave.
Speaker 7: Us alone, I hope so I couldn't stand much more.
Speaker 8: Our faces on every telescreen all over the world, scandal criers saying.
Speaker 6: It does not matter, Noma, it's over. We've left all that behind us in the North. We're going to be very happy.
Speaker 7: Here, Oh my darling, we have to be. It's the only thing that would justify what you did.
Speaker 6: Nomah, Can you doubt that we will come here? Look out through the glass wall there, blue sea down belows, pale heels and the far off mainland. Why is there any more perfect place to be happy than here in Caprin?
Speaker 7: And what of the women you brought with you? Did you not perhaps give up too much for us, pay too great a price?
Speaker 6: You're worth more than all of it. Noma.
Speaker 7: You make me feel very humble.
Speaker 8: You were the most powerful men on earth, council mastered, the Allied nations of the North, the.
Speaker 7: Ruler of a billion people.
Speaker 6: A billion fools. Why had they not been they would have accepted you.
Speaker 7: They they felt they had reasons.
Speaker 6: Reasons not permit me to marry beneath my station. Now I've given my whole life to them. Until now has a man no right to happiness? Noma? They follow their own desires. Why shouldn't I do the same for once?
Speaker 7: Why not?
Speaker 8: Indeed, I've no answer for your beloved. I'm proud and humble for what you did. Also a little afraid afraid of what.
Speaker 7: I don't know, Heathen, I don't know, but I advised your.
Speaker 2: Pardon, Master Heaton. May I have your attention? Please?
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, go ahead.
Speaker 2: What is it There is one here who desires to speak.
Speaker 6: With I'll see no one. I've told you that.
Speaker 2: He tells me to say, the white grasses grow tall in the north and reach above the snow.
Speaker 7: It's a messenger from the concert.
Speaker 6: Yes, very well, send him up.
Speaker 7: What does it mean? Have they thought of some new way?
Speaker 6: Oh, my darling, it is nothing. You'll talk of duty again and all the other things, the same kind of talk. It can't be anything else.
Speaker 7: The chosen someone besides.
Speaker 6: But they did choose him. If he doesn't suit them, they can find someone else. I'll have no part of it.
Speaker 7: It's such a fool, such a stupid, blundering fool.
Speaker 6: Perhaps they need a fool. Perhaps that's why there's the messenger.
Speaker 9: I mean, I must beg you to pardon this intrusion. Master hidden, But the Council considers the matter of the greatest importance.
Speaker 6: That's all right.
Speaker 9: Now, What is it you wish if we we could speak alone?
Speaker 6: Perhaps I have no secrets from the lady. She knows everything. Now, what is it?
Speaker 9: I am empowered by the council to ask you to return at once and take charge.
Speaker 4: Of the government again alone. Yes, yes, that would be required, of course.
Speaker 6: And the council wastes my time and there but.
Speaker 4: There have been new developments.
Speaker 9: Everysham already has begun the moves we've always feared. He would not no one, but you can stop this madness, this foolish ambition of his.
Speaker 6: And more's the pity. I do not choose to do anything about it.
Speaker 4: You know what it means.
Speaker 6: Of course, I know nothing of the affairs of government. I am a private citizen engaged in seeking happiness.
Speaker 9: Master Headen, do you believe that one man can work out his fate apart and separate from the faith of all mankind?
Speaker 6: You may leave now, you may go back and tell the Council that I have no concern in their problems now or ever.
Speaker 4: Very well, Master Headon.
Speaker 9: But if you should decide differently, decide quickly, for there is very little.
Speaker 7: Time, Oh Headen, Is it true? Will it really come to that?
Speaker 6: Probably? The South and East not easily bluffed war losing.
Speaker 7: The world again for the first time one hundred years war again.
Speaker 6: They don't know what it is, they don't they've never seen it.
Speaker 7: Then you can't let it happen.
Speaker 6: No, my darling, I've made a choice and it's final. If it comes to war and old world falls in ruins, then I'll live on in the ruins. But I'll live there with you. That's fine.
Speaker 7: Eating, I'm afraid.
Speaker 6: I calmed her fears at last with many brave prophecies of the joys we should find in our life together. And as we talked and watch the sun sing finally in the waters of the quiet sea, the blusterings of Evershoon seemed far away in the threat of war, no more than a part of some nightmare. At a late hour, we fell asleep.
Speaker 10: Henry, Henry, wake up, I said, wake up, cause you I always have to wait for me to shut off at clock.
Speaker 6: Sorry, DearS, dreaming.
Speaker 10: Dreaming, indeed, I got to self dressed.
Speaker 6: You won't be laid again this week? Good chance of war. I don't know just what I can.
Speaker 10: Do about it, oh, Henry, for pity's sake.
Speaker 6: I think certainly I won't give her up, no matter what happened her.
Speaker 7: Who's her?
Speaker 6: Yes, Yes, of course, I'm getting up right this minute. I'll get dressed right away, Henry. No, there's no need to get excited. There. There's plenty of time to catch the seventh twelve I.
Speaker 10: Never saw such a man in my life. Wasn't for me telling you what to do? I don't know what would become of you.
Speaker 6: All that day at my office, I kept thinking about the dream. It was hard to remember that it had been a dream. It had been so real, as real as everyday things going on around me, perhaps even more real, certainly more desirable, or as you may have guessed, my daily life held a little of interest. Dream. Oh, and the dream, everything was different. There I could be the great master heading, controlling the destinies of millions of people, feeling for the first time in my life, a deep and exhilarating sense of power, so sharp in its contrast with a drag waking life I lead. And most of all, most of all, I could not forget the girl, the way she looked, the glorious way that she well no matter. All day, I kept wondering if I should be able to find the place again, so far away in space and time too long delayed. The night came at last, and I went to bed hopefully, But nothing happened. There was no dream. For three nights, there was no dream, and I grew frantic with worry, with longing for her, and then came the fourth night.
Speaker 7: Darling, watch where you're going? You almost fell over those rocks.
Speaker 6: I'm sorry. I I guess I was thinking of something else.
Speaker 7: Yes, for three days now you haven't been yourself at all.
Speaker 6: Well, it's well, there are there are so many things to think about.
Speaker 7: It's all right, headen. I've known you were thinking of it constantly, even though you were not mentioned.
Speaker 6: There's nothing new, is there?
Speaker 2: What I mean?
Speaker 6: Well, have you had any word that you've kept from me? Thought it best to something of that sort?
Speaker 8: No, Heaton, No, I've had no word from the north. Huh, no one here has yet. Everyone seems to sense it. There's a fever in the air, tenseness. So they could smell something, the smell of war.
Speaker 6: Perhaps there'll be no war. One Serviceham knows his bluff's been called. You'll back down.
Speaker 8: You know him better than that. You're proud of that blind luck of his to see him through. And you could stop him hidden you could still go.
Speaker 6: I mean, not going by.
Speaker 8: How can we hope to find happiness for ourselves if millions die because of us?
Speaker 6: If it should start, it can't last long. People in the world that they have no idea what war is when they find out, they'll have no part of it.
Speaker 7: When they find out, it'll be too late. There'll be blood on the ground then, and hate and vengeance, and there can be no stopping it.
Speaker 6: Then why should not, well, then the food shouldn't. They shouldn't start it then.
Speaker 7: But they are fool you said yourself.
Speaker 6: Look, oh, planes, some special pleasure flight from the north, I suppose he and they They.
Speaker 7: Don't look like transport. They're not built the same day. They're like pictures of the art.
Speaker 6: There's are war planes. Those are bombers.
Speaker 7: It's begun already.
Speaker 6: No, no, but it's part of the bluff and the dangerous. But those planes have been stored away for a hundred years. I knew of them, of course, all the counsul did, but but I never thought i'd see them in the air.
Speaker 8: I fear it's a wrong, terrible thing we've done, and I'm afraid, but it would be a lie, I beloved, I said, I was sorry.
Speaker 6: No more war planes came to Capri in the next two days. The sight and the sound of the first ones had been enough. The peaceful island of Pleasure became a beehive of belligerent activity. Preparation for war by a people who had never known anything would peace. Old weapons relics for years came out of storage, places were cleaned, polished, made ready. Big guns appeared, as if by magic, were quickly set in placements about the rocky aisle. Norman and I took no part in the madness about us, but walked alone from the others. She with a growing sadness, and I were a swelling hatred for blind blundering and for the stupidity he'd called forth now in mankind and then late afternoon of the.
Speaker 8: Third day, But why why do they act as if they might come here if they were a war?
Speaker 7: It could never reach the caprios.
Speaker 6: Who knows why they act or what they think. There's no reasoning in them, the like sheep, anxious to get their throats cut and have it over with.
Speaker 7: It was all so beautiful, so beautiful.
Speaker 6: Oh no, no, man, it still all. This has nothing to do with us. We've turned our backs on it. What they do now is their own concern. This can't touch us.
Speaker 8: So terrible to think about it. Didn't look planes that come back sitting over the hills there.
Speaker 6: He's still playing the same old game. Oh, how long can that blundering Eversham halt to ohma, But these are not the same ones. What do you mean? I know the shape of these. These are war planes, warplanes from the south and oh no, oh no, if.
Speaker 7: It can't mean any thing. Was that what they call a bout?
Speaker 6: That's what they call.
Speaker 7: I want to see it. Oh, it's horror. And then you see, I wanted to see it too.
Speaker 8: Down there by the edge of the water, where the little pavilion was eaten, there's nothing but broken rocks and smoke drifting up.
Speaker 6: Yes, the first alarm.
Speaker 7: Why should they wish to destroy a little summer pavilion?
Speaker 6: An accident? They were trying there for the docks.
Speaker 7: We swam there every morning. Do you remember how clear and how clean the water was? There must be blood in.
Speaker 6: It now normal. There's no good in that kind of thinking. This is what they chose. Now they've got.
Speaker 7: They couldn't have known it would be like me.
Speaker 6: Perhaps not. That can't be helped now. It's too late now for them ever to turn back.
Speaker 7: How could they ever.
Speaker 4: Look?
Speaker 7: Heidden plane along the beach promenade, hundreds of people, children too, Hi, I don't want to see anymore.
Speaker 6: Not ever, We've got to find some way to get out of here, some way, some way. Capri is right in the middle of it.
Speaker 7: It was so beautiful here. Why should anyone.
Speaker 6: Make war on cap Why war has a bad habit of spreading everywhere once it's turned loose.
Speaker 2: Just Supervisor from twenty two.
Speaker 6: I'm like a private plane and a pilot right away, destination to be decided.
Speaker 2: Sorry, sir, All planes have been taken over by the government of general order by Master.
Speaker 6: Eversham confound all right?
Speaker 4: What about a boat?
Speaker 2: Powerboats have been taken over. Perhaps a few small sailing craft may be still available.
Speaker 6: Why not get me a navigator and enough crewmen?
Speaker 2: Sally, sir? The government is ordered or able body?
Speaker 6: Why it's all right? Just get me a boat? Then, by Charlotte, whatever's necessary. I'll say it myself.
Speaker 2: Yes, So.
Speaker 7: Where can we go?
Speaker 6: I don't no, I don't know anywhere, But.
Speaker 7: Go quickly take me away someplace, even far away, anywhere but here.
Speaker 6: Then flight, days of flight from stolid death in his military boots, so tramped, always just behind us, never far away. I fought to stay asleep, to stay with my dream, to stay with Noma. I cursed each time I awoke.
Speaker 10: I simply can't understand you, Henry. You moon around the house like a love sick calf. Haven't been to the office in three days. Don't you have any consideration for your job or for me? Do you want to see us kicked out into the street like tramps without a cent to our name?
Speaker 6: My waking life became a vague movement of shadow figures of which I remember nothing Now my life and the dream was very real. Oh, yes, very real.
Speaker 11: No, no, I've just come from there.
Speaker 2: You cannot go through the past.
Speaker 6: Why can't we?
Speaker 4: It is impossible.
Speaker 7: You must go back to the coast quickly, can't you explain to whim?
Speaker 8: We must find someplace to buy food. We had nothing to eat for two days.
Speaker 11: No, lady, there is no food here. Everyone is starving. Pestilence is broken out. Tests horrible place came suddenly. Already people of two villages are lying dead in the gutters.
Speaker 2: It's pready, very quickly.
Speaker 6: Come come, Norma, let's go back to the book. We tried first to land somewhere along the southern shore of the Mediterranean. We found it everywhere the same. In some places, the people were dying of disease and starvation and others. They were dying of bleeding burns from the flame of war. Always, always, they would guying hidden.
Speaker 8: Everywhere we go we find dead, dead bodies, more and more.
Speaker 7: Old time.
Speaker 12: What's happening there?
Speaker 6: The whole world gone?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Is the whole world.
Speaker 6: Dying back again to the north and a landing on the peninsula, then pushing our way over them, trying to find some haven in a world intent on smashing itself to bloody fragments playing from the idiot fury around us and being blocked, blocked at every turn.
Speaker 2: You cannot go there.
Speaker 12: You must turn back immediately.
Speaker 7: Why why as we turn back when there's no place left to go back to back?
Speaker 12: Well that I cannot tell you. But if you know, father, you will die. They have views poison gas, and the area is contaminated over hundreds of miles. I've seen people die from it. It is not a pretty said every word, of course, sir, If you would like to stay here, I'm sure we can take care of that pretty little broke of yours. Yes, yes, well.
Speaker 6: There were no real battle lines as yet, no armies. The thing had come too fast. But everywhere roving bands fot plunder had killed one another, sometimes not even knowing if they were killing friend of four, and always always overhead, with the planes humming like hawks, killing anything that moved. Hiden, do you think he sees us? I'm sure I'm a double. Don't move. He heading toward us, all.
Speaker 7: Right, even we can't just lie.
Speaker 6: Don't move. No, by Heaven, I think it is us. Look where that old woman walking in the road. Oh horrible, horrible, No, No, let's go. It wasn't us. He was after And so for love and for reason, on and on, day after day we fled from the monstrous stupidity of war, till at last we could flee no farther. We found ourselves at dawn one morning, in an open space near those great ruined temples that bystuem Roman ruins that have stood for centuries were still standing. Even then. We sat and watched the sunrise, most beautiful I've ever seen. We said little to one another. Low hills broke away below us, started here, and there by trees lower thickets of laurel between the great stones of the temples above us were pale pink in the morning sun, and the silence was everywhere silence and the false feeling of peace.
Speaker 7: This morning looking out there, one would never know.
Speaker 6: Oh that's beautiful. But we we can't stop here no more. We're only hours away from it now?
Speaker 7: How much further heathen? How foma be running now?
Speaker 6: I don't know, my dear it it it seems to be everywhere.
Speaker 8: Sometimes these last few nights, I've looked up at the stars and I thought, all of this is happening because of us.
Speaker 6: Be to blame for it? You no, no, darling, no, we we tried to find happiness. That's or can there be anything evil in that?
Speaker 7: I don't know, Keaton, but I'm afraid I do not run away with me. This would not have happened. Millions of people must die for our happiness. K something is wrong.
Speaker 6: The blame lies with them. They die for their own.
Speaker 7: Stupid We are not stupid. We had you gone back and let.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, my god, Now there be no talk of that kind. We'll still find we will the chance to work things out somewhere.
Speaker 7: Hi, I have a strange feeling hidden. We shan't have any more chances. We all some kind of they're gonna have to pay for it?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 6: Are You're tired. Norma, that's why you talk this way.
Speaker 7: In another flight of place.
Speaker 6: Yes, yes, they're everywhere now.
Speaker 7: Suffering, watching and waiting again Norma.
Speaker 6: Noma will find someplace yet, someplace. No, norm get down, No, no, Noma.
Speaker 7: No you're all right, didn't I I love?
Speaker 6: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: No No.
Speaker 6: I sat there on the ground for hours, holding her body close. I w I was only dimly aware that she was, that she no longer lived, Time had no meaning, The world receded far away, the shadows of afternoon point at all, when way in my thoughts were only only dreams within a dream. I must have stared at them for several minutes, not realizing who they were, watching them approach through the bushes before they came within yards. Before it struck me suddenly, those uniforms. They were soldiers of the South and the East. With only one fig in mind, I jumped to my feet and ran toward them. No, no, it's all right, it's all right. You don't need those guns. I mean no harm, you see, I only wanted you not not to come here. It's my wife. She's she's dead. There's no one else here. Nay back, no, no, put away the pay in that there's no need for it. You can take your men around the other.
Speaker 8: No, what.
Speaker 6: What are you going to do? I lay there on the ground for a long time after they left. At first I tried to crawl back to her, but I couldn't. Then later I was unconscious. Whether this be armageddon, that last flaming end of the world, I do not know. But of this I am sure. When the end does come, it shall come through man's unheeding selfishness, through man's stupidity. For when man stood up and learned to think and was no longer an animal, he became one with the gods, and like the gods, must take heed of the fate of mankind.
Speaker 11: This I know.
Speaker 6: Always before I had longed desperately to escape into the dream, But now now, with equal desperation, I fear to do so. For Heden's world is dying now, shuddering in the last great convulsions of its death agony. Over the whole great landscape of Earth lie the rotting, disfigured bodies of the dead, and the sad sun gleams with a pale and ghastly light through the smothering curtain form by the hideous fumes of war, The moans of the half dead swell up from the planes of Earth, fill the vast emptiness of the heavens, and go unanswered starvation, pestilence, war, and death. The whole world is dying. Headen too is He died hours before I awoke this morning. His body still lies before the silent temples of Paistoon Get in the dream, I still occupied his body. After he was dead, great faltiers came tore with their beaks and claws, and I was still conscious. I was still conscious now tonight tonight. Because of that, though I grow faint with weariness, sight dare not go to sleep. In the name of a heaven? How long will a Dream go on?
Speaker 5: Escape is produced and directed by A. Ran MacDonald. Tonight we have brought you Dream of Armageddon by H. G. Wells, adapted for radio by Les Crutchfield, with editorial supervision by John Dougall featured in Tonight's story were Stacy Harris and Betty lou Gerson, with Charlotte Lawrence, Jack Prusian, Eric Roff and John Dayner. Special music by Ivan Atmars.
Speaker 1: Next week, you are standing in the light of an arc lamp by the cathedral in Mexico City, looking at a dead body lying at your feet, and a great fear comes over you as you wonder if you are a haunted man.
Speaker 5: Next week we escape with Ralph Bates most unusual story, the Hauted Man. Good night then until this same time next week, when once again we offer you escape. Roy Rod speaking, this is CBS, the Columbia Broadcasting System.
Speaker 2: Yeah. H