Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of October fourteenth, we're continuing with Lost, Season one, episode fifteen, Homecoming. And no, there are no corsages, no nice graide, no football game, no dances, not even a golf game. I noticed that Claire does, after her traumatic return to the camp, find some time to wash her hair and borrow some of Shannon's cream rans because from her first scene to her second scene, yeah, she definitely possibly she visited the island day spot because she was looking kind of glowy a lot better. Yes, so we answered the question of is or is not? Claire ticked that she was not rescued with she forgot everything.
Speaker 2: Asia, We're off Buck, and then we're off.
Speaker 1: She was gone almost two weeks. She might have said, wait a minute, two weeks and you guys didn't go look for me, but yeah, where were you? She is fortunately still sufficiently traumatized to not be connecting those particular dots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they dodged a bullet there.
Speaker 1: I thought maybe when Charlie said I was with you, but they took you and not me, or I was rescued or whatever he said that she would say, wait, admitt then why didn't anybody But no, she's she's kind of in a fog. Yeah, but her smells good right now, so she'll just say, oh, dear.
Speaker 2: Yeah. This was this was amnesia plot, the old plot, and then the flashbacks were Charlie growing up into a copy machine. So that's a nice usual. Yes, you know, why you wouldn't do it on the floor instead of onto a glass surface.
Speaker 1: Apparently they felt that we were in need of that. We possibly did not grasp quite enough that Charlie was a loser, so we got to give more. Charlie is a loser, loser flashbacks that was It seems like some of the flashbacks lately have been. That was a long way to go for not much. Yeah, I think we could of intuited that Charlie feels like he's not able to care for anybody, right, take care of anybody. I think we could have intuited that without the flashbacks.
Speaker 2: Without the woman specifically saying that exact thing to his face, you will never take care of any one. Yeah, okay, got it.
Speaker 1: Really we needed all those flashbacks and vomiting in a copier to tell us that. I think we knew that already. I think he could have just said that to somebody else in passing. You could have had a chat with Jin, who he thinks doesn't understand him, and and you know, just confessed all his sins. But no, right, he gets.
Speaker 2: Maybe secretly speaks English.
Speaker 1: This is what I am trying to remember. It's not a spoiler because I don't remember that he does, but I'm thinking, you know, in his line of work pre crash, it seems like knowing other languages would be an asset, So might not Son's dad have sent him, you know, set him up with due o lingo exactly. Yes, that's what I was trying to think of. Yeah, so I kind of wonder because I think you will not be surprised to learn that there will be a time in this show when he does have lines so in English. So at some point he you know, they maybe they find a dual lingo cassette and just something to play it on and he learns miraculously, or Son teaches him. But I wonder because it does seem sometimes like but if he doesn't know she knows English, there would be no reason for him to try it out. But that maybe he knows more than he's letting on. And also talk about looking around for people who are trained to shoot a gun. He's right over there, right, pretty sure Shin is good with a gun because he came home covered with blood one time.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you know, yeah, we're gonna have to have a whole game of charades to get it to understand.
Speaker 1: It's did you're given one to Sawyer who who missed at close range? Yes, the marshall, why are we assuming that guy has ever handled a gun? I mean they're assuming Locke has handled a gun because he's mister Jungleman, but before this he was not. How does Jack know one how to handle a gun? Yeah, good question, the only one. I mean, we know Kate can't because we've seen her, but they don't even know that side, right. I think Sayid could just be the shooting man and the rest of you maybe Scott and Scott slash Steve was a shooter and now it's too late, time.
Speaker 2: Too late. Yeah, this, I mean, there was pretty violent this episode. We had Scott slash Steve get killed by Ethan and we had you know, Ethans show up to claim Claire.
Speaker 1: Yes, now Jack beats this guy. It beats this guy the same way he did CPR on Charlie.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Uh, and then he's all mad that Charlie shot him. It's like, dude, was he even still alive? I guess he was because he stood up enough to have his chest shot. But yeah, you know, you didn't seem to be too worried about his health when you were when you were beating. But now the.
Speaker 2: Guns are out there, Yeah I know. Yeah, Now is everybody gonna know? Everybody knows all the remaining people who are dwindling like one at a time. I don't know.
Speaker 1: They got clear back and then they lost one guy, so they're still even.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they.
Speaker 1: Lost an extra so so uh disposable that they didn't even don't know his name, that's right, yes, true, it was not painful. I don't think we ever even saw the guy's face. I think they just kind of drag dragged a body. It could have been a could have been one of the dolls.
Speaker 2: From uh in the building, that's right, yes, so, And my question was will she still be pregnant? And apparently she is, yes, hugely, hugely pregnant. And Jack says, the baby's fine.
Speaker 1: How he knows this with deethoscope or anything.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have a stethoscope. He certainly doesn't have an ultrasound machine. He doesn't have one of those like bicycle horn looking things that old time midwives use. So it's just a matter of like, I'm sure it's fine.
Speaker 1: He's a trade physician, he has deeply honed instincts. And he put his maybe he put his hand on her belly and something kicked.
Speaker 2: So yes, I do think he said the baby's kicking.
Speaker 1: Place is crazy.
Speaker 2: He can only I'm I mean mostly Claire would know that. You know, Claire would be the one to be like, yes, I feel the baby g right. So again, this this kid, I don't know. If I were it, I would stay in there as long as I could.
Speaker 1: Nothing good canna happen to you outside of that, although maybe you were drugged in it, if they were doing things, it's true. Yeah, it's just like the Boon Fallies lately. Yeah, you put Gonn, put him out on the perimeter home. He's gonna fall asleep and then he's gonna think you've found something and it's gonna be the dog.
Speaker 2: The dog. Well, at least he found the dog.
Speaker 1: Yeah, again, looking just mighty fine.
Speaker 2: Looking fine. I don't think we ever saw Walt, and.
Speaker 1: We saw Walt. I'm pretty sure when we saw Vincent, we saw Walt, but we didn't definitely didn't see Michael.
Speaker 2: They'll have to wait for another another Michael episode to find out what's going on with those two.
Speaker 1: Oh dear, I yeah, it's just we're just on the edge of things happening. You can tell, we're just on the edge of things happening. There's been so many, so much weirdness. Eventually, this has got to converge into something right, But you know it's got to wait till the end of the season to be a cliffhanger. So meanwhile, Charlie drug addict. Did you hear he's a drug addict?
Speaker 2: I know. It's like recycling through the flashbacks. I feel like there's still some people who haven't gotten.
Speaker 1: Next week, Jack was a doctor, did you or Jack?
Speaker 2: And Kate? Kate has secrets? Did you know that secrets?
Speaker 1: Yes? And then Sawyer criminal? Don't trust him?
Speaker 2: Yep, bad guy? Remember bad game?
Speaker 1: What is the next one up?
Speaker 2: I actually think it is Sawyer?
Speaker 1: Is it? So? Is it Sawyer?
Speaker 2: It's called Outlaws?
Speaker 1: Is it really Sawyer?
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, we've.
Speaker 1: Had enough of that, dude. Yeah, yeah, there they are not for the last time on this show. They are marking time. Yeah we could. We could be busting the hatch open right now, but we can't do it until like until the end of the season.
Speaker 2: So we're just gonna bust in the hatch open, bust in the uterus so we can see what's.
Speaker 1: It's just yeah, Claris like, can I give birth? Please? No? No, No, there's still.
Speaker 2: More, So we need a few more episodes out of you.
Speaker 1: Oh television, we know.
Speaker 2: But so going back to Ethan, you know, Charlie shoots him because Charlie has issues.
Speaker 1: Yes, not being he did hang Charlie from a tree, so yes, just for that, I think you could feel him full of lead, right, But also he's.
Speaker 2: Taking care of he's taking care of Claire. But you know, they they said that they wanted him alive so that they could like, you know, get information out of him.
Speaker 1: But like this kind of dude is going to sing like a bird, doesn't he?
Speaker 2: No, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I Charlie made that point and he was correct, yes, telling he was just gonna mess with us if you if you brought him there, he would be nothing but a menace, right, He's really not just you know, yeah, eye for an eye, tooth for a toothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I don't think his his friends are going to be friendly to you or anyone.
Speaker 1: Gee. I wonder what we're going to find out more about them, all sorts of other people in the jungle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but first Russo she's been He's right, They've waiting around for weeks.
Speaker 1: They have set up so much bleep on this thing that they're not paying off yet. And yet we have time.
Speaker 2: For another Sawyer flashback?
Speaker 1: Yes, Sawyer. Yeah, I don't know, it's it's still enjoyable just for the silly audacity of it. Right, and uh, you know none of the scenes last all that long. We're usually off to something else pretty quick. But uh did we At first we were thinking we couldn't remember seeing this episode either, but but Rick remembered Jack pommeling Ethan, So oh, this guy getting beat up. I remember that Charlie's gonna shoot him.
Speaker 2: There you go, is what happened.
Speaker 1: The whole Charlie, you will never take care of anybody, or trying to take care of various people is very parenting coded because yes, you know, Claire will soon be charged with taking care of a little person. Yeah, boy, is it easy to screw that up?
Speaker 2: Yes, but I am not convinced that Charlie is going to be the best.
Speaker 1: Woll But it's like the worst thing that could possibly happen is happened to be responsible for taking care of somebody. I mean, Jack is responsible for taking all care of all of them apparently. And it's not going so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and Michael just has Walt again not going so great?
Speaker 1: It's so great Bryan was supposed to take care of Walt not going so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it's just like there's Charlie is not the only person not doing such a great job of taking care of anybody. He's probably done a little better than some of the other ones. Sawyer is just taking care of himself. But that mostly makes him Why would you give that man a gun? I don't understand the thinking here other than that he's above a certain line in the cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, I guess they just all assume that he knows how to use it.
Speaker 1: Although I didn't point it out, let's give him a gun.
Speaker 2: As you pointed out, he didn't do a good job with it when he the first time around with the.
Speaker 1: Marsians, and it's like they totally don't trust him. Why although it turned out he had one anyway, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did like, oh you need another gun?
Speaker 1: Day?
Speaker 2: I got one of those, he did, you know?
Speaker 1: But uh yeah, there's Jack's thing of saying, I'm not going to put a gun in untrained hands, And I'm like, how trained are your hands?
Speaker 2: Chacked?
Speaker 1: Do you do a lot of shooting back in your life as a.
Speaker 2: Doctor, they teach you that all about that in med school.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right, here's that old scalpet. And oh, by the way, please go to target practice. Yeah you know, if things get slow, you can go shoot somebody and then operate on them.
Speaker 2: So yeah, drop up some business there you go.
Speaker 1: Oh and Boone is no longer making any effort to take care of Shannon, which is a good thing. Shannon seems to be doing just my I guess say is taking care of her now? Yeah, Jack is Jack is still Island Papa. But is Locke is closing in?
Speaker 2: Yes, Locke has given him a run thrust money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, he's making some bad decisions. So if if Lock makes a good one, yep yep. But so they did not do a good job but taking care of Steve slash Scott so.
Speaker 2: RP.
Speaker 1: Does this guy even have Does anybody even have that on their IMDb resume? I should look that up. Is just a stunt random stunt person here look dead. Yes, we didn't even get to see him getting attacked. He's just a body on the beach.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that was Boone's fault.
Speaker 1: An anonymous character screw debt. Yes, oh it wasn't Boone's fault.
Speaker 2: Oh well, Boone was supposed to be watching, right, Yeah, but they didn't. But he can't. I know, it all came in.
Speaker 1: From the water, so he was vincent that that tripped the trap boom. It was sleeping at the time. I'm not sure about this plan because basically this involves all the strongest and most protective guys in your group are going to stay up all night, right, so that this is not sustainable first thing in the morning, but anytime during the day, this camp is going to be defenseless.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Are they not putting up traps during the day too? They think this guy is not going to come in daylight? How he's not scared of these people. No, I'm a little scared of Charlie apparently. But and Jack, you know. But oh well, cousin of Tom Cruise, farewell the end. I think you are well and truly dead.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Did they take the body with them and bury it someplace.
Speaker 2: They have dead?
Speaker 1: Did they?
Speaker 2: They have quite a there's a little cemetery going at this point.
Speaker 1: I just I would not even trust trained surgeon Jack to know whether somebody's actually dead. He's he's a guy you want to like cut up into little pieces and distribute at various parts of the other. It's like a soap opera. Oh he's just shot to death. Oh he could be back. But yeah, well, there we are. Another another trip to the jungle, another random death, another fistfight, another episode of Lost. Wish we could flip to the end on this one, actually a half flipped to that.
Speaker 2: That's a long way to go.
Speaker 1: I do not remember every page. However, it's become clear that I do not remember every page, right, but your general plot?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Yes, well, so next Tuesday we will continue with season one, episode sixteen of Lost Outlaws, which apparently is a Sawyer episode, because curious about that guy? What's going on with that guy? Never mind the hatch and the evil others and the French lady and the various romances going on and the uh imminent childbirth and the imminent childbirth and all that. Never what's what that guy? I'm not quite sure I got it the last time? Can we?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: We will see you back here tomorrow to discuss only murders in the building. Another show that needs to come in from the jungle. Please thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.