Speaker 1: Hello and welcome to business today. I'm Sadhat Zarabian. With me is Perosha god Ridge, the chairperson Designate at god Ridge Industries. Perosha, welcome, congratulations. You are taking over a storied legacy almost one hundred and thirty year, one hundred and twenty nine and the pressure of continuing the brand which you have in the process of reinventing, but continuing with that legacy and making this group relevant to Naia India. Nayabhara, it must.
Speaker 2: Be a big task. What's the core of this plat So it's great to be with you.
Speaker 3: Sadda, thank you so much for being here with us. I think we're at a very exciting juncture the group. You know, we're in a relatively unique position. We were both in some ways, as you rightly said, celebrating one hundred and twenty nine year legacy, enjoying the advantages of a brand that has built over the years a great sense of trust, a great sense of respect amongst its customers. But also as the Goodridge Industries Group just two years old in this new format. So I think the aspiration for the group in the period ahead is to try and bring together the best of what we've enjoyed in terms of our legacy, but also bring to that a new sense of energy, purpose and ambition, and combine those two things and where we feel, you know, there's tremendous opportunities in.
Speaker 2: The period ahead.
Speaker 3: We enjoy as a group a strong performance track record. So now at the Gordridge Industries Group, we have six operating businesses. Three of them are publicly listed Go Toadge Consumer Products, Godage Properties and Go to jaggravet and three are unlisted Go Toadge Capital, Go Toadge Chemicals and Go toad Ventures. Cumulatively, these businesses have already in the past five years delivered both sales and earnings growth of about twenty percent a little over twenty percent in fact a year. What we'd like to do in this next period is take that consistency, do another five years of over twenty percent learnings per share growth, make sure that we add to that at the company level.
Speaker 2: A return and of equity of at least eighteen percent. We're also looking forward to celebrating our legacy and our vision for the future through a new purpose statement. So we've put out the new Purpose Statement, which is crafting tomorrow since eighteen ninety seven, and that intends to show celebrate the legacy of the group since eighteen ninety seven, celebrate the values the group has stood for. But make sure that people understand that our gaze is firmly looking forward, that we believe that the best parts of the gold Ridge Group lie before us, and that you know, it's our opportunity to make that happen.
Speaker 1: You know, in the age of startups all across India and the world, it's remarkable and when you look at data that very few groups survive even five decades. The fact that you've been around for this extended period of time and I've seen pivotal moments in India's economic journey industry, I want you to take a moment before I get into some company specific question in terms of the larger environment macro environment that Indian business operates in p Rosha, how do you describe this moment? Lots of challenges, but lots of opportunities as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know, if you look in a very narrow way, I think you can always focus on the challenges. I think there's lots of opportunities, for example, for ease of doing business to be better. You know, I've spent a lot of my career in the real estate sector. I can say firsthand that ease of doing business, you.
Speaker 1: Know that always as Alaine, You're your first baby, will always remain my first baby.
Speaker 3: But you know, very excited about all the opportunities of the group. But you know, I think there are opportunities for us as a country to get better, and I think we're doing a good job of focusing on going to do our best to improve them. Things like ease of doing business, creating an environment where we're attracting institutional foreign capital are all quite important drivers of the economic growth we hope to see unfold. At the same time, if you kind of zoom out a little bit and look at where India is today compared to ten years ago or twenty years ago, I think it is a new country. It is all pull of aspirations. If you look at things like our infrastructure is a transformation that's happened, not still to be done, but lots that has happen. So I think it's similar to the story of the group in some ways. That you know, I think there's been a huge amount of progress as a country over the last many decades, a lot of opportunity and a lot of hard work that lies ahead of us. But we think that it's a you know, a real privilege and blessing to be operating a business in India today.
Speaker 2: I think we we're.
Speaker 3: Obviously the country with the largest population in the entire world if you look at it. I think most analysts expect India's economy to be the fastest growing major economy over the next couple of decades. So that is a pretty unique place and a unique opportunity to be able to tap and to have an established brand, have established platforms like we have. We rarely do see it as an immense opportunity.
Speaker 1: You spoke about an established brand, and one of the unique things is that you would perhaps in my mind, be one of the finest examples of patman h Gerda. The current energy in security that the world faces on account of West Asia, and we see our dependencies not just in oil and gas but multiple industrial imputs. I just want a quick comment from you on how important is it to develop our own base and supply chains from raw material to final products. Because your group operates in so many areas and you have a very good sense of that, how critical is it for our economic security to be more artmor neighbor across the chain.
Speaker 2: You know, I have a mixed feeling about this.
Speaker 3: On the one hand, I think it's quite sad to see the way the world is going where this is becoming more necessary. I think the globalized world, as much maligned as it was in many Western countries, bought and before seen prosperity, got great growth, took millions and hundreds of millions of people in fact out of poverty. So it's a bit of a shame to see that being questioned in the way it is globally, and the globe going in a direction of each country needing to be self sufficient. But at the same time, of course, we have to take the world as it is, not as how as we hope it will be. And I think there is an opportunity and a requirement for India to look at becoming much more self sufficient in key inputs. We've seen now global disruptions many times in just the last few years. If you look at the pandemic, that made clear what kind of disruptions can be faced. How you need to make sure that your supply chains are more secure. The current situation globally with the war and the close of the Strait of homost is another example of how supply chains can be quickly impacted.
Speaker 2: So I think India.
Speaker 3: Will have to do a lot of work on gaining self sufficiency. This is not something that can happen overnight or in a year or two, but I think we will have to move in the direction of ensuring that at least key strategic things needed for the country's security first and foremost, but economic growth secondly are internally available. Now, it won't be again a short journey or an easy journey, but it is one that we'll have to undertake.
Speaker 1: Russia, I sat through your very detailed presentation and I got the sense and just for our yours to be able to understand it, that you are indicating and coming out now going public with a pivot. What does that pivot entail? How much of your legacy businesses will contribute to this stretch target of five lacro marketcab by twenty thirty one, And what about the new businesses? What will you be spending time on driving in terms of group growth?
Speaker 3: Well, I think you know the opportunities lie in all of these, So I think we have three listed businesses, each of which we think has tremendous potential. If you look at the three businesses, our FMCG business has a large portfolio of brands. I think we think that FMCG industry has been underperforming the last couple of years, but actually the last few quarters we are seeing that turnaround irrespective of industry performance. Furthermore, we think the brands we've built, the kind of steps the business has taken in recent years will lead to very strong performance there. So our our medium term aspiration for that business is to get to a ten percent volume growth. We think if the business can do that, of course revenue growth will be faster, earnings will be even faster, and that can unlock a huge amount of value. Similarly, another listed business of ours is Goodridge Properties, which has been one of the fastest growing businesses in the group, one of the fastest growing businesses in the sector.
Speaker 2: For the last three years.
Speaker 3: That business has consistently been the largest residential developer in the country. Its growth has been well distributed. It's the number one or two listed player in all five of India's largest real estate markets and despite now being a leader in the sector, our market share in that business is only about five percent, so we believe this tremendous opportunity to continue to benefit from the consolidation that is happening in the real estate sector, and we'd hope to about double our market share over the next five to seven years in Goodridge properties. We think that can again unlock a huge amount of value as that unfolds. Also, the accounting in that business is a little bit strange, where you have sales happening upfront, but vl recognition only when projects are delivered. So we actually think the market hasn't fully appreciated the scale of earnings that are going to unfold over the next couple of years through sales that have already happened. So we hope to see some value unlocked happen as we're able to prove that through deliveries.
Speaker 2: Over the next couple of years.
Speaker 3: Our agri business, similarly, is a listed player, hasn't seen much value creation unfortunately in the stock market in recent years. We're very committed to turning that around. It's almost a mini conglomerate of its own, with several different verticals under it. Some of those are already leaders in the categories they operate in with bright futures, like.
Speaker 2: Our oil palm businesses.
Speaker 3: Others like some of our food businesses in dairy and chicken processing, we think have much more potential than has been exhibited so far, and we're quite focused on turning those around. Equally some of our unlisted business I won't talk about all of them but in the interesting time, but I think you know one that we're very passionate about is our financial services business. That business is just five years old. It's the youngest business in our group. In the five years has already gotten to over a twenty five thousand coro AUM.
Speaker 2: Has scaled very well.
Speaker 3: We're very confident about the team that's in place in that business and the aspiration there is to take it from a twenty five thousand coro roughly to one hundred thousand coro AUM over this next five years. At that point, we think that business will be a very good candidate to be a publicly listed player, given the scale of the financial services business as an industry and the opportunity the gold Ridge brand provides. If we're able to execute well, I think over a period of time, this can be one off, if not largest business.
Speaker 1: Okay, when you talk about listing at least two more companies, what will the intent be raising capital or unlocking value? Why would you do that? And if you could talk about a generalized time frame.
Speaker 3: I think so this five year timeframe is the timeframe we're looking at for that. Within that, exactly when will this depend on how markets perform, how the individual businesses grow. I think the intent will be to make sure the businesses can raise the capital they need for their growth on an ongoing basis, in a sustainable manner. So the group, at the group level, we don't want to be funding businesses indefinitely. So once we've created a certain amount of value, businesses have gotten to a certain stage, we think it's both important to unlock some of that value and then think about new ventures at the group level, but let those businesses then grow on their own steam.
Speaker 1: Okay. I want to come back to property, not just because of how you scaled it up and people talk about the kind of effort that you made, and it's a business that's talked about, but primarily from where the real estate industry in India, residential particularly stands in terms of the cycle.
Speaker 2: Is it at the peak?
Speaker 1: What is likely to happen to rates and consumer adoption.
Speaker 2: I think we're probably somewhere in the middle part of the cycle.
Speaker 3: So if you look at it, a typical cycle, you know, starts with a couple of years of volume confidence coming back, and if you look at that's exactly what happened this time. So from twenty thirteen to about the end of twenty twenty, we were in a consistent down cycle. Volumes were going down, prices were going nowhere, and that was a pretty tough end of the cycle. But from the end of twenty twenty onwards, the cycle has been through a very strong phase. I would say twenty one and twenty two or more about volumes are covering the market, getting confidence that the market the cycle had in fact turned direction. Twenty three and twenty four were about very rapid price growth, very rapid volume growth, and that's very typical of the sector, and we saw that in our business as well, where you know places like NCR Bangalore or twenty thirty percent even more in some cases pricing growth in a single year. I think from about the middle of last year we've been in what I would call the most steady end of the cycle, which also typically lasts three or four years, so our best case estimate is for the next three years you should see pricing move roughly in line with inflation. Volumes should be healthy but not growing explosively as they were a couple of years ago. So we think there's lots of opportunities at this part of the cycle as well. And for the company growth comes in two forms. One is the sectoral growth with benefits from both the structural growth in the sector as in the urbanizes its incomes growth, but also is impacted by where you are in the cycle. But the second part of the opportunity at the company level is from consolidation and market share gains. And if you look at it, Codridge Properties has over the last five years doubled its market share from about two point five to five percent, and that opportunity remains very strong.
Speaker 1: Okay, as we come to the end of this conversation, I want to come back and once again ask you to tell our viewers about how the Goddage Group journey, including the separation that happened a couple of years ago. It's in some ways a textbook of how you handled it, and markets have seen that story. You have been communicating but as we look ahead, where do you see this group in terms of continuing to take forward the legacy that your forefathers have in place.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I think the restructuring was a great example actually of the legacy in action, right. We wanted to do it in a way that showed trust, that showed respect, that showed fairness, that didn't get messy in public. And we're very happy, I think on both sides of the family that we were able to do that. Relationships remain very strong. We've been on holiday with each other since. I think business each side strategically exactly and most and both sides of the business now get the agility and freedom to kind of operate as they choose to do so. So I think that was a great example of actually the values of the group. You know, we're very clear that at the group we are talking about values, we're talking about valuation. We never want to be in a position where we're looking at just one and not the other, because frankly, valuation without taking forward the values of the group, I think will leave us all very dejected. We all feel hugely proud, hugely blessed to have inherit inherited this incredible system of values this culture, and it's incumbent of on us to make sure this next chapter celebrates that and strengthens that. But equally, you know, it's not just that valuation without values is meaningless. Values without valuation is also, frankly, at the end of the day, quite meaningless, because if we're not able to perform, nobody is really going to care very much what our values are. So I think the marriage of those two things, which we've managed in the past and that we want to add more momentum to going forward, is really where the magic can get created, and that's the aspiration we have.
Speaker 1: You've given me a fantastic ending line. Value and valuation go together, Perushia. I issue all the way best to you, your family, and that fantastic management team that you're built over the years to take this journey forward all the way best and thank you very much for spending time with us today. With that, it's a wrap on this conversation. We'll see you again. Until then, good bye.