Speaker 1: All right, it is drivetime on a Tuesday afternoon. It's about ten minutes past the hour of two o'clock. Snowy and chili in Salt Lake City.
Speaker 2: We're out in about.
Speaker 1: The snow is not falling where we're at today at Arup Blood Services ninety seven eighty six South five hundred West in Sandy.
Speaker 2: Come on by.
Speaker 1: You get a ten dollars Amazon gift card just for donating today, and you're entered to win tickets for the Utah BYU game. That's right, a chance to win a couple of tickets to see the big rivalry game coming up on Saturday night. They're also entering to win some Jazz Lakers tickets. We have some Utes versus Saint Mary's men's basketball tickets. And we got to get more red out here than blue today, So come on out. Arup Blood Services at ninety seven eighty six South five hundred West in Sandy. They've got another location in Research Park five sixty five Comus Drive and Research Park. We're gonna be here until six o'clock tonight. All right, busy, busy show today. A lot to do on the program, of course, it is rive Re week. Anyone talking into a microphone. You're gonna have to say that a couple of times, sir, else you'll be daffy ducked.
Speaker 2: We have the.
Speaker 1: NFL trade deadline, which has been surprisingly active today. The Utah Jazz won a basketball game last night in Chicago.
Speaker 2: The Utah Men got going last night with a big win.
Speaker 1: The BYU men will go tonight, and obviously tonight is a big night. You're gonna hear some results that you might not agree with, accept them regardless, of course. I'm talking about the CFP reveal. It is the first reveal of the college football ranking, so we can throw out the AP poll and we can start to learn what the committee is thinking. All right, good guest, listen on a Tuesday afternoon. Our first guest right out of the gates will be Tim McMahon to do some NBA and some jazz from ESPN.
Speaker 2: We have Austin Cawley. That's right.
Speaker 1: A little bit later on, Magic is gonna happen on the program today. Riley Jensen played quarterback for BYU and Utah. Stay will stop by the entire three o'clock will be Scott Mitchell.
Speaker 2: However, Scott showed up early and on time.
Speaker 3: Well, I heard it was a by U U Tah rivalry to show up right, yea, yeah, blood drive. We'd love blood. It's it's amazing what it does. Saves a lot of life. I've personally had experiences with this, so it's a good cause. Good to be out here. It's election day? Are we allowed to actually ask.
Speaker 4: People if they vote?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: Is that? Is that a kosher question?
Speaker 2: I think that's fine. It's okay to I think it's okay to ask if you voted.
Speaker 1: Anything beyond that these days feels like it would set off some nuclear reaction.
Speaker 2: So maybe like, did you vote? And we'll just leave it there.
Speaker 5: Did you vote?
Speaker 6: I did?
Speaker 4: Did you? I did?
Speaker 2: He'd you vote for it?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: So Scott's along for the ride. Arup Blood Services come on by and say what's up. It's ninety seven eighty six South five hundred West Megaplex Theaters. Tickets if you donate today and then you're intered to win tickets for Utah BYU.
Speaker 2: But keep Arup Blood Services in mind.
Speaker 1: Because if you can't make it today, if you're working, you know you can't leave the office. Come in before you BYU and donate open every day both locations. Come in before Thanksgiving to donate. Closed on Thanksgiving, come in before Christmas as well. Make a pledge to donate. You can go to Utah Blood dot org. Easy to remember, they cover Utah. It all stays here in Utah, so you get incentivized with some movie passes. They've got great They've always had the best snacks out here. You can meet the great Scott Mitchell. You can get Scott's autograph, take a picture with him as well. So arup Blood Services ninety seven eighty six out five hundred West in Sandy.
Speaker 2: Since Scott is here, Porter, let's waste no time.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get to Tim McMahon, Austin Colly, Riley Jensen. But on a Tuesday afternoon, brought to you by good friends at Standard Restaurants, supply your tailgate headquarters. Head on down to their convenient location at Salt Lakers. Check out Standard restaurant dot com.
Speaker 2: On a Tuesday. It is timed out for your opening tip.
Speaker 7: Welcome to the Drive with Spence. Check it's on Utah's number one sports talk. Now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurant Supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply thirty five hundred Southwest Temple.
Speaker 1: So the big game coming up on Saturday, everybody's attention certainly on Saturday BYU Utah Salt Lake City, Rice Eco Stadium, eight fifteen kicktime.
Speaker 2: Our pregame coverage, we'll begin at.
Speaker 1: Four point fifteen with Porter Larson isaac Ociad a bunch of utes.
Speaker 2: The line opened up at five, it.
Speaker 1: Moved to four, it settled at four for about thirty eight hours, and then last night it moved a half a point towards Utah.
Speaker 2: So there is some optimism on the market with the utes.
Speaker 1: BYU as we sit here today, is a three point five point favorite. I never played in this game. Scott Mitchell did, and Scott is here for our first segment. So before we get into because I want to talk about what you and I were discussing off air. I think we both are of one mind of who we're going to see under center. What does this week bring to you? Memories, energy, what's it like as somebody who played in this game.
Speaker 3: You know it was a totally different era where when when I was at Utah, BYU had been so dominant fifteen out of sixteen games, and so it was it was almost like they kind of we were an afterthought, you know, and which made it work. It just agonized the heck out of you, like they had no respect for you at all, and and I just I just I hated that, you know, I hated not being respected.
Speaker 4: And when we.
Speaker 3: Played, uh, you know, and I was around for four of the games, only played in one of them, and uh, well I played in two. That's that's and we barely lost in provo in eighty seven. But the thing about BYU that I remember the most was they were so predictable because they were so good. Yeah right, and they first down they were going to be in cover three, second down they're being covered two, and third down they were going to be in quarters covered.
Speaker 4: It never changed, never changed.
Speaker 3: So we were like, Okay, what's our most explosive like our home run play, like what's our best play to for you know, shot play versus cover three?
Speaker 4: And we did that the whole the whole game.
Speaker 2: The game where you just.
Speaker 4: Yeah and just and just killed them.
Speaker 3: And it was just such a fun day you know, and just so exciting and it's just so fun to beat up on someone who's so much better than you are, you know, and uh and and the cool thing about it for me is it it was great at that time, but it's still great to Utah fans. I think the one, the one comment I get the most from people is I remember nineteen eighty eight, I remember fifty seven to everybody remembers the score, you know, And so so that's kind of a fun thing. The thing I'm most concerned about about this year for Utah is none of these players have grown up with this rivalry, Like they haven't been a part of it, so they don't know that it's a real thing, and it's a real thing because it's so fascinating how it really impacts the play of the game, because it's a right It's like one team should clearly blow out the other team and they don't, you know, and so so just it just it it's a funny, funny dynamic that happened. It feels a little funny this year, like it's like something really bizarre could happen. And you're Utah and you beat by US undefeated, you talk about the car there they're gonna be is probably gonna be ranked four in the car.
Speaker 2: I mean they're gonna be I don't know that they're gonna be that high tonight. I think six is their ceiling time. Now, Remember the ranking isn't the seating. It's a different thing.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, they then maybe they're maybe they're six, but uh there might or eight.
Speaker 4: They're gonna be high. They're still gonna be in the top ten as.
Speaker 1: Far as as far as the CFP ranking tonight or the seating to actually play the bracket, because they're two very different things.
Speaker 4: So the seat the seating is really what.
Speaker 2: The Big twelve champ should be. Four.
Speaker 1: Yes, with the seating, b YU will not be the fourth ranked team of the CFP rankings tonight. No, no way, I'll bet you. I'll bet you right now. I look, they might be seven or eight.
Speaker 4: I don't want to get.
Speaker 3: Into the conversation about about the rankings because because I think it's skewed, and I think it's it's all there's a whole process of methodology.
Speaker 2: I think it's bracket. You think they're gonna be the fourth ranked team?
Speaker 5: It?
Speaker 3: Yeah, if they well, look I want a dramatic effect for my story. So I want them rank as high as they possibly could be by the time you go into this game on Saturday. That's when the rivalry really matters. When something's on the line by us undefeated, there's a real possibility they could run the tape. They don't have a they don't have a real strong, tough schedule going down down the stretch other than at Utah, and they could go into the Big Twelve championship game.
Speaker 4: With no losses.
Speaker 2: They could.
Speaker 3: But when you're when you're the team that's stinking it up like the uts are this year, goes in and beats them and messes up their whole year, that's when the rivalry that's the best part about them.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, So I appreciate the sentiment, but the fact of the matter is this is no longer an elimination elimination game for b YU because of what happened last week. So Utah could spoil their undefeated season, yes, but b YU is high speed ed to a Big twelve champion.
Speaker 3: They are. They are in the driver driver's seat, no question.
Speaker 1: But let me because I got to get to an interview here in a little bit. My guy, Mike, he's gonna stop by. We've got the entire three.
Speaker 2: O'clock hour, Scott got to talk about.
Speaker 1: But let me get Let me ask you this because you reference eighty eight and I told you this anecdote off air.
Speaker 4: That is true.
Speaker 1: One of my friends, who is an absolute diehard ut and is nervous out of his mind for Saturday, sure, is so grateful for what you did in nineteen eighty eight that he simply just made your NFL teams his favorite team. And I've been talking about this all week, Scott. Not to make you feel feel old, but nineteen eighty eight was the last well I'm getting there. Nineteen eighty eight was the last year I lived here before he moved back east. And Eddie Johnson came and spoke to us in watch that's elementary. I was a fifth grader, and so then after because we were living in Federal Heights, then after that experience, we went, we went and watched the game and I think Eddie had four touchdown.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he was all over it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the problem is nothing that what happens on Saturday, we'll be able to salvage Utah football season. It's already done in a way that we thought that it was in a way that nobody saw coming. You can't get back into contention for the conference. The only thing worse than playing in a throwaway bowl is not being eligible for one. But Scott Mitchell, Eddie Johnson, Brandon Burton and look, I could keep going for twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: If you have greatness in.
Speaker 1: You for one day, and if you have the ability to find that internal fortitude to be great for one day against BYU in Salt Lake, you will be remembered differently, even if this season will not be remembered the way that we thought. Right like you can, Utah football has one more chance. The Utah football players have.
Speaker 2: One more chance to in forty years be sitting doing a radio interview like you are right now and we reminisce about eighty eight in the way that made you a legend. That that has to be the message for Kyle this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's no question, And it certainly erases a lot of the disappointment of the season. Right and quite frankly, the year that b Yu's having makes the year Utah is having even worse. Right, It just it makes it so much worse. Winning this game it's now a rivalry game again, which is awesome. I love this, but to win it, there's no question about it. It gives you an opportunity to kind of okay, at least we beat them that year. Because there's there's just it's it's not only down the road, and and they're it's living every day for all the you know, all these Utah fans, and you have to live amongst each other, and it's and you just hate worse than anything to have it rubbed in your nose, like worse than anything, Like as a sportsman, it's the worst thing when someone just.
Speaker 4: You know, and they have they can back it up.
Speaker 3: They just talk trash to you, whether it's social media, whether it's at church, whether it's in the neighborhood, whatever it is. When when they when the one team has the upper hand and they just they just twist a knight. They just grind it in. So to be able no matter what happens, like if you win this game, you always you always have that regardless of what's going on. I remember, you know, Utah loses to BYU I think twenty twenty one, and and uh, and of course Utah goes on to play in the Rose Bowl and win win the Pac twelve Championship, and it's like BYU still had the upper hand even though you talk goes to the Rose Bowl.
Speaker 4: Because this would be the because they beat him that year.
Speaker 3: And it's kind of the same, you know, it's kind of the same type of thing. It's it's a fascinating dynamic, and it's it's such a redeeming opportunity to have the you know, just win this one game, If you can just win this one game, it's gonna it's gonna cure a lot of the als.
Speaker 4: That you have right now.
Speaker 1: Just if Dorian Singer goes for a buck fifty and three touchdowns and they win, like they could lose the rest of the and Dorian would always be the guy from this game that helped them beat b YU. All right, before we catch a break, we got to bring on my guy, Mikey and we'll get back to this in the three o'clock I've no real quick one question for you before we catch a break. When I listened to Brandon Rose media yesterday, Yes, he sounded like a kid that's talking like he's starting a court back.
Speaker 3: And I hope so, and I believe that's actually going to happen because there he was different. It was different when he was in a game, it was significantly different. And he's the most you know, I was thinking about this. He's a guy that's been in the program the most, he's had the most experience. But there's also a physicalness to it. There's a physical you know, he's he has a more mature body, and that's one of the things. Isaac Wilson just a little kids still, you know, and just sitting in the pocket, you know, is kind of a tough thing. So yes, I believe. I believe because you thought doesn't care right now, We don't care about the future. We care about.
Speaker 4: Winning this one game.
Speaker 2: So it's Saturday.
Speaker 4: If we got to put this guy in, let's do it all right.
Speaker 1: More than the three o'clock hour with Scott, he's going to stay with me for the entire three o'clock hour. Coming up next, we're gonna do some jazz basketball. Jazz got a win, baby went to Chicago and got a dub. Tim mcmanlstop by, we'll talk about what this season could look like for the Jazz. Then we're back to college football. Really, the rest of the show Scott Mitchell, Austin Colley, Riley Jensen. But we're live today. Ar Up Blood Services come on by and say hi. Ninety seven eighty six South five hundred West. And Sandy Mikey in a kilt stops by.
Speaker 8: What's up, hey, we like to be classy here. That's and that's like to mention the tie though, I mean, this is important, right.
Speaker 2: The utaie looks good present. You didn't get that at some Halloween costume store.
Speaker 8: That's all legitimate kech no, No, this was a year's worth of Domino's Pizza trip chips.
Speaker 1: That a guy, all right, So, University of Utah Arup Services, of course, there's.
Speaker 2: A tie there.
Speaker 1: And we're here as the home of the Utes. We're gonna have a show here that's kind of BYU centric. We're doing a little fun rivalry thing. What's the tie with Utah and Arup?
Speaker 4: Yeah, so aaru P. We are owned by the University of Utah.
Speaker 8: So every bit of blood that we collect stays here locally in our own community. Everything we collect goes to the University hospitals and clinics or a Huntsman Cancer Hospital, but it all stays here.
Speaker 4: And so yeah, at plus blood's red.
Speaker 2: Right, blood is red?
Speaker 1: Yes, If you come in and it's not, we might have a different follow up appointment for you. So talk about I mean, if people haven't done this before, what's the process like?
Speaker 4: Is it easy? Oh, it's so easy to do.
Speaker 8: It only takes about a half an hour in and out the door, maybe just a hair longer. You come in, bring a photo ID helps to be well hydrated. You go through a little registration process, answer a questionnaire, a little mini physical, make sure that you're feeling good and you're not going to become a patient.
Speaker 4: And then needle's only in your arm maybe five to eight minutes. And then you get snacks and sacks.
Speaker 2: And you're you know you guys. I used to come here, you know, three or four times a year with our guy Lance. Your snacks are top show.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, we don't. We don't spare any expense.
Speaker 2: Okay, So before I say you loose, let's end with this one simply. How can people donate? How can they get it?
Speaker 4: Is so easy?
Speaker 8: We're all We have two donor centers open seven days a week, one up in Research Park by the U of you. The other one is in Sandy about ninety eight hundred South and fifth West.
Speaker 4: You can find addresses and hours.
Speaker 8: At our website Utah blood dot org, or you can give us a call at eight oh one five eight four five two seven two.
Speaker 2: Mikey. Thanks man.
Speaker 1: We're gonna chat all day long, my guy Mikey out here at Arup Blood Services.
Speaker 2: So come on out, donate.
Speaker 1: You get megaplex theaters gift cards, and then you can enter to win tickets for Utah PYU.
Speaker 2: They're giving away jazz Laker tickets.
Speaker 1: You can enter to win jazz Laker tickets and then the Utah men take it on Saint Mary's. So if you don't have Utah YU tickets, you want to do some good today. As Mikey mentioned, all the blood stays in our state. They're the sole provider for the University of Utah on the Huntsman Cancer Institute.
Speaker 2: So we need blood.
Speaker 1: We're asking for the help, and we're kind of having a fun robbery tied to it at ninety seven eighty six South five.
Speaker 2: Hundred West here in Sandy.
Speaker 1: If you can't make it out here, stop by five sixty five Comus Drive and Research Park.
Speaker 7: Next on the drive, Tim McMahon dropping dimes for your NBA daily assists.
Speaker 9: Van McMahon, Van McMahan, batt Is Duding Ho, the Land Tectives, flood Tickets, Mudy's and Man McMahon McMahan the man.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're live today.
Speaker 1: Arup Blood Services ninety seven eighty six South five hundred West in Sandy.
Speaker 2: Come on by to donate blood.
Speaker 1: They're the sole provider for the University of Utah in the Huntsman Cancer Center. And you get Megaplex Megaplex movie passes, and then you're also qualified to when tickets for Utah EYU football coming up on Saturday night. We'll get back to little college and pro football in a moment, but let's do some NBA because the Utah Jazz are on a tear.
Speaker 2: Jazz got to win last night, So first win, baby steps.
Speaker 1: Tim McMahon Tuesday Afternoon, Tim, Happy Tuesday, Buddy, How are we doing? O?
Speaker 6: Pardon? How are you?
Speaker 2: We're good? We're good.
Speaker 1: And look, I mean, this is gonna be a difficult year for the fans. It's gonna be a difficult year for our conversations because we could be very reductive and say they finally have a plan.
Speaker 2: That plan is to lose all year.
Speaker 1: So let's just start big picture because I feel like the best time to do this would have been two years ago, but the second best time is now. It does feel like they're leaning into a full rebuild. So from an overall standpoint, where are you at with.
Speaker 2: The Jazz right now?
Speaker 6: Well, I can just tell you it's been a difficult year for our conversations every year that we've been having. Me tooche Well said, Look, the Jazz are just as good as the Milwaukee Bucks. They're just as good as the Philadelphia seventy six ers. I don't know why you want to put this kind of spin on things. They are just as good as two teams that were expected to be contenders in the Eastern Conference. So, you know, let's pump a little sunshine here. In all seriousness, I do agree with you, like, hey, the rebuild was you know, they were too good for their own good for the first fifty plus games. For the last couple of years, you know, we understand that. Again, we've talked before. I do think there was some value first year of will Hardy's and you're in allowing himself to to kind of prove and established that he is a bona fide head coach is interesting because I think what you're seeing in Brooklyn might be something pretty similar, and I would say there should be the more agency in Brooklyn the bottom out this year, given their take situation, still own a swap to to Houston a couple of drafts from now. But this is to get the kind of talent that it's going to take for the Jazz to really turn this thing around. It's going to take a really rough year or two, and you know, certainly this is going to be one of those. Now, having said that, you don't want to You don't want to be in a situation where you know you're opening this season with a double figure losing street. You don't want to double figure losing streets. You know, you do want to be able to sprinkle and wins just because you don't want just to be some kind of extraordinarily, for lack of a better word, depressing situation. You do want the development of the young guys to occasionally be rewarded. And you know last night was certainly an example down though you know, John Collins might have been the best player on the floor.
Speaker 1: Yes, and you know I actually wanted to talk to you about some of these dynamics here, because you know, there are people that are wondering whether or not the Jazz are going to make any moves, and if they do make moves, it won't be to get better this year. And John Collins might be like the perfect guy to have on the roster because you have to pay somebody and he can give you big minutes and he's making twenty six point five mil and he's not very good.
Speaker 2: Most of the time.
Speaker 1: But whether it's Collins or Sexton or Clarkson or any of these vets outside of Patty Mills, Okay, they're not moving Patty Mills. But do you do you think there's any value with the vets on the Jazz roster and you anticipate them maybe making any movement or is this kind of like the perfect type a veteran group to have on a team that's really not serious about winning right now?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, look, they're going to be listening to offers and and certainly that stuff's not really intense right now. Obviously it picks up the close you get to the to the trade deadline. You know, the one thing I can tell you is they're not going to incentivize anything in Collins is probably tough. Correct me if I'm wrong. He still I believe he still has another year left in that contract. Because of that, probably it.
Speaker 2: Is a player option.
Speaker 6: Tim, I'm gonna go ahead, and I'm not breaking news here, but I'm going to suggest the strong possibility that that player option will be picked up.
Speaker 2: So probably correctly.
Speaker 6: But you know, like, hey, I could see a guy like certain sext in Clarks and teams that are looking for you know, scoring punch off the bench. Good teams come you know, around the time before the trade deadline. I could see those be being a couple of guys who might have some interest in the market. Like I said, the Jazz will absolutely be be listening, you know, probably even shopping those guys as that time comes. But you know, it's not like they are in the way right now. And Collins, unfortunately, they do kind of need his minutes, and the plan coming into the season was he was going to basically be the backup center and unfortunately Taylor Hendrix, who is going to play a lot of minutes, is not.
Speaker 4: Going to play anymore this season.
Speaker 6: You know, Loward marketing is not a long term thing, but he's out right now. So Collins played a lot of power forward, and I will say Colin's playing well at power forward. It doesn't hurt the possibility that he might be moved for the deadline. I'm just I don't think it's likely, just because of the contract.
Speaker 1: And then we'll get back to the Jazz because I want to ask you about Taylor, But we have some breaking news that I'll get your reaction to Tim in real time. Joel mb'd has been suspended for three games by the NBA. He's gonna cost him just over a million bucks. The suspension will start with the first game that nb can play. This is according to tweet I'm seeing from Bobby Mars. Obviously it's the situation with the reporter in the locker room. So what's your take the NBA suspending EMBIID for three games?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I look, the NBA had to issue a suspension. I'll be honest with you. I am surprised that it's three games. I wasn't obviously in the locker room, you know, But like you have to set the precedent. The players, no matter how upset they are, can't put their hands on reporters. But I don't think This was some extremely violent situation. And you know, frankly I can empathize with Embiid as far as why he was so upset. Uh. You know, this was one of those situations where nobody was right. You know, the columnist wrote something that was you know, I understand why Embiid felt like it was a completely unnecessary and out of bounds personal shot. You know, to bring up if you can be criticizing a player, you know, to bring up family, especially a deceased younger brother his young son. You know, that's that's poor taste. But you know, the old the two wrongs they'll make the right thing certainly applies here. I thought one game would have set a precedent and gotten the message across. I thought three games is pretty strong, but you know that's what the league office came down on.
Speaker 1: So moving back over to the Jazz and as you referenced, just just the horrifically sad scene that you and I talked about last time. You joined us real quick with Taylor going down for the year, So I already asked you about that, and there really is any any new information.
Speaker 2: You just sort of.
Speaker 1: Gutted for the kid, But I was curious to see what will would do with essentially twenty eight to thirty minutes at his disposal, and he has gone to Cody Williams and Kyle Philipowski.
Speaker 2: He's not upping.
Speaker 1: We're seeing a little bit more you banks time, but in the starting lineup and the guys that are playing the majority of the big minutes, it's Cody Williams, it's Kyle philip Powski. You reference marketing, you know, kind of a day to day thing. I just anticipate that we're going to deal with that all year long because I believed him this is all intentional. Obviously you were tongue in cheek about the bad starts for Milwaukee and Philadelphia, But do you believe that now the plan is very very clearly in place where it is. And look NBA front offices, they'll sometimes say things and you get a little hint like they're not going to say we're trying to lose. They're going to say we're trying to develop young players. So do you believe the losing is by design?
Speaker 4: This year?
Speaker 6: I believe that the Jazz have recognized that floating around the ninth or tenth taking the lottery is not a way for them to really turn this thing around. So you know, call it what you want. You know, Will Hardy is not out there coaching to lose games, but with this roster he can coach his butt off. And they're not going to win a lot of games. I mean, just look around the Western Conference. You know, that's just the way it is. I mean, they're not going to win thirty something games with this roster. And you know, it's also likely that one of their better players will probably be gone before the trade deadline obviously, which happened in the last couple of years as well. So you know, is it tanking, is it losing by design? Is it you know, just being in a situation Again, My thing is this, I don't necessarily there was definitely a direction chosen here, but if they chose to try to be as competitive as possible last summer, like what moves would what moves would they have made? Right? You know what I mean? Like, you know, the Paul George thing was a pipe dream that honestly never made any sense to me. I think this is a combination of choosing a direction, you know, really committing to the full blown rebuild and not kind of the half measures of the of the last couple of years, and also just the reality in the situation kind of smacking me in the face.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, well said so the last time that it's been this bad.
Speaker 1: And look, although there's not a championship banner hanging in the Delta Center, we are a spoiled market because we've had front offices who have been really smart at making measured decisions, Scott Laden, Kevin O'Connor, Dennis Lindsay. And so when Dennis took over, he moved on from Al Jefferson and Paul Millsap. I mean, Millsap's still a jazz legend and Al played here for a couple of years and played well. So twenty thirteen, twenty fourteen jazz basketball is when they started. It was like one in thirteen, and the young players on the roster, Trey Burke rookie, Alec Burke's second year, Derek Favors third year, Ennis Kanter's second year, Rudy Gobert rookie, Gordon Hayward third year, and I'll just stop there because those are kind of the Cody Williams Keyante Philipowski hopefully eventually Taylor, Bryce Sen Siba group and then which one of those players popps Obviously Gobert did, Hayward did, Favors did Alec kind of did, Trey ever did. So they went like four for six, we'll call it. So out of these young players, who do you think has the best chance of popping in the way Hayward and Gobert, Uh, those guys did that could be around the next time. The Jazz are actually really good.
Speaker 6: Well, you didn't mention Walker Kest in the young group? Yes, yes, I will, and and you know the Jazz do include him in that group. You know, I think he's twenty three years old, obviously a third year guy. He's also the guy who I think has shown the most and has the uh, you know, has the best odds of becoming a you know, I don't know, foundational piece. Might be a those strong but maybe not. I think he's gonna be a really good, you know, starting big in the NBA. Certainly a defense banker. You know, we've talked about, Hey, the guy did not build on a strong rookie year last year. He could argue he regressed a bit. Certainly he didn't take strikes forward. But the way he responded to that was by working his butt off. I think he feels a lot better physically. I think his confidence is much higher, you know. I know, Will and the coach staffer are extremely happy with the work that he's done going back to the end of last season. And I think, you know, although they're not winning games, uh, you know, I think he's played well this season. And then honestly, the rest of the guys, like I don't know, you know, I mean, Kunty George is in the starting lineup last night, played really well. It's been a pretty rough go for him so far this season. Before that, I am skeptical on him being a full time point guard. Maybe he ends up being a you know, a Jordan Clarkson type of a bench score. We'll see. But look, this year, even next year, a lot of this is going to be about figuring out which, you know, which ones of these guys are potentially part of the long term future, and which one of them aren't going to pan out, because I you said, they're not all going to pan out nobody, you know, if you shoot fifty percent in the drafts, especially with these picks that are you know, in the teams, you know, some of them even been in the twenties that's doing pretty well, so you know, player development is also you know, it's figuring out which ones aren't worth continuing to invest in, and that's going to be part of the process over the next couple of years.
Speaker 2: For sure, And certainly Hayward favors both third year players on that team, so Walker should be included in the group.
Speaker 1: Uh ten points, twelve boards, three blocks. So to me, his start is one of maybe two or three bright spots. And I cannot come on air every day and blow smoke when this is just going to be a rough season.
Speaker 2: But you reference Keyante now.
Speaker 1: The last time tim that Kyante made shots at High Cliff he was a high scorer because he didn't in college, he didn't his rookie year, and he hasn't so far this year.
Speaker 2: He was really good last night.
Speaker 1: But essentially we have two and a half years where the splits are like thirty eight percent from a floor in like thirty percent from three He's only twenty. But at what point does that sample size become so big where you're concerned about simply his inability to make shots.
Speaker 2: As simple as that sounds.
Speaker 6: I mean, you can be concerned about it now, but you're not going to pull the plug on you know, you're not going to pull the plug on him, like you're going to at least see it through this season, you know, I would think in the next season, you know, in fairness to him, he didn't come into college or or the NBA with like a physically mature body. I do think he's improved his sazique, you know, over the summer, you know. And another thing is he's learning to play point guard in the NBA, not just how to play point guard in the league, but how to play point guard period, you know, and that's a pretty massive challenge. So I would give him, you know, it'd be a different situation if he was if he was drafted by a good team. If he's dropped by a good team, he's probably not getting minutes now. But that's not the situation he's in, So I think he'd gotta be patient and give him a little bit of grace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure. And to your point, they're only going to play youngsters, all right. Moving away from the jazz here, let's talk about your take on the latest. Everyone hates Rudy's story, Christian brown smashes on him, and you know, I have always been a stand up for Rudy guy, just because I saw how great he was in this community. I was over there when he you know, I was working for the Jazz Radio Network when he was with the Jazz But there are some times where you just kind of can't stand up for him and you start to make allowance. I still think it's bullying. I still think it's rude, and I still think he's a good dude. But it seems like this time around, most of the people were not necessarily backing him up, even the ones that typically do.
Speaker 2: Is that fair?
Speaker 6: You know, I didn't think it was honestly that huge of the deal. I was actually at that game. I talked to Rudy afterwards. I talked to Christian Brown afterwards. Neither one of those guys were really a bit too worked up about it. It was a competitive moment. I mean, Christian Brown absolutely dunked the hell out of the ball and then put a highlight on Rudy's head. There's no question about that. He was amped up. You know, he's kind of flexed and celebrated by you know, stepping into Rudy's space and hollering a little bit. Fludy gave him I don't know if you'd call it a club, but it was like a little pass rush move to decide of the neck there, and there was some wolfing, you know, Russ came in and did Russ type of stuff and you know, and that was that. But post game, you know, Rudy's like, hey, I get it. He was fired up. He stepped my space and then you know, a whole lot of nothing happened. You know, he said, I actually think he's a really good player and a good kid. And you know Christian Brown, who, by the way, he got Rudy a couple of times last year or too. I mean, Christian Brown, for all that's going wrong with the Nuggets, he's a pretty promising young player. Deceptively athletic, he might say. But you know, he said, hey, you know, I got so fired up because he's Rudy Gobert is one of the best REM protectors in the league. He said, the best remprotector in the league. And you know, his take was, actually he was he regretted his celebration, not because of you know, the disrespect or whatever, but he's like, dude, I cost my team momentum. They're on an eleven zero run and then they end up blowing a ten point lead, and he said the devil technicals cost his team momentum. So you know, look, anytime Gobert gets dunked on and Matt's the tacks or fashion, it is going to be a thing, right, It's going to go viral. People are going to hoot and hohorah. As far as the celebration and his reaction and all that, neither one of those guys thought it was a real big deal. So I'm not going to be too up at arms back. I will say I didn't think Rudy should have been in the game at that point because I thought he should have get kicked out. It was a flagrant one when he elbowed Joker on the job boy during that review, I thought Rudy was about to head to the locker room. But look, man, I was in the Mavericks locker room a couple of nights before that. Per few nights before that when they played the Wolves, I was in the Nuggets' locker room. Like it's no secret I wrote the whole thing about this last year. Players around the league do not like Rudy for whatever reason, and that's just you know, that's just the reality of the situation. I think he's the most disrespected star caliber player in the league. You know, he's not always in the right. But I didn't think this was some like major international incident here. I just thought it was a spectacular play that you know, they got a little huffy and puffy afterwards.
Speaker 1: So I'm asking you about the Timberwolves intentionally and the Cavs intentionally because the Jazz draft capital returns begin the season and it doesn't look like I mean, when when Ruy Hatcha Mura said their scouting report on Julius Randalls that he just stands there on defense and therefore they were just going to backdoor cut, I'm like, Okay, you don't love that fit with Minnesota.
Speaker 2: Maybe they're not going to be great this year. Mike does look old.
Speaker 1: But how real is this eight n O start from the calves with a new coaching staff and a team right now that looks really connected.
Speaker 6: I mean, I don't think they're going to go eighty two and oh but how many games do they win last year? Correct me? I mean it's right round fifty and that was with all kinds of health problems. You know, Darius Garland had a broken John and really struggled last Sea. You know, obviously break your Day or Jos wier shite. There's a bunch of time, there's much weight completely, they had a rhythm, Donovan had all kinds of neat problems. You know, if they're healthy, they're going to be good. I don't know that they're going to be number one seed in the East good. But right now, if you told me the Calves finished the season with fifty five sixty seven wins and and the number two seed in the East, I wouldn't be surprised at all. And I look, I still think Minnesota is the top three team in the Western Conference. They've got some things to figure out defensively, but I like their odds there. And you know, they're happy with Julius Randon. They're especially happy with kind of a dynamic between Randall and uh and and Edwards. And I feel like Randall takes a little bit uh you know, he eases the burden on an while also setting them up. You know, ants catching twot threes their way up. That's a large part because Rangdell sets them up for those man it can take a lot of the uh, you know, the the attacking, initiating, facilitating responsibilities off ants Playton. You know, fins tell you the hope there is that can rest a little bit on offense instead of taking some possessions off defensively.
Speaker 1: Fifty one wins for the Cavs last year, so you were close to knocking that out.
Speaker 4: Tim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate your time. Have a great week. It's great to have basketball back, and we'll chat too.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it, brother, all right.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 1: Tim McMahon covers the NBA for ESPN. He covers the jazz for ESPN. That's why he is on our NBA Daily Assist. He's on Twitter at ESPN. Underscore McMahon is where you find him. Or Utah EYU tickets and you do not want to pay hundreds of dollars, Come on by, do a little good, donate some blood, get some megaplex theaters gift cards, and then you'll be entered to win tickets for Utah BYU coming up on Saturday night. It's ninety seven eighty six South, five hundred west and Sandy put that in your GPS.
Speaker 2: Follow it.
Speaker 1: That's the easiest way it can get a little convoluted. So ninety seven eighty six South, five hundred west. Here in Sandy, ESPN seven hundred Van is right out front.
Speaker 2: Come on and come by and say hi.
Speaker 1: All right, three o'clock hour today brought to you by Overtime Cards and Collectibles, the best spot for all your football, basketball, hockey, MMA and even Pokemon card collecting. Start thinking about the holidays, Think about an overtime gift card for a stocking stuffer. They have all the best trading cards and collectibles around, and while you're there, you can look at the trading cards of all your other favorite athletes and teams. Go check them out online at Overtimecards and Collectibles dot Com, where you can buy and trade. Breaking news. Joel Mbid has been suspended three games for shoving a columnist, Scott Mitchell. What's the closest you ever came to shoving a columnist?
Speaker 4: Actually?
Speaker 2: There, I am, hello, Scott.
Speaker 4: Hello. I never I never shoved a columnist.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, there were some guys. I don't know if I should say this, Spence.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, we're here. You gotta say it now. Go ahead, Just don't even think about it.
Speaker 4: Just say it. This is bad, Okay. I want to hear it. This is really bad. So there was a guy. Let's say, the Detroit media.
Speaker 2: Was kind of force brutal, and they still are, and this.
Speaker 3: Guy was one of the most brutal. And uh yeah he was. So I'm having a hard time saying this. I'll just say I don't care.
Speaker 2: There you go. Not a boy he died that escalated and he was young.
Speaker 4: When he died.
Speaker 3: And this was after I had left Detroit. I can't say that I shed many tears.
Speaker 2: Oh it got that, you got that tough.
Speaker 4: It was. It was the I have. My mom was amazing.
Speaker 3: She kept every every every newspaper article, everything, all of it. So so my whole entire career is documented and and the books. When I go through Detroit, I can just open the book, look at the picture and go, did we win or lose? If we lost, it was a crumpled picture of me being, you know, mauled by the defenders. And if we won, it was this pristine picture of Barry Sanders.
Speaker 2: So Barry got all the love.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course, And and he was great and he deserved it. But you know, it would have been nice to just every once in a while have a picture where Okay, you know we won this game and they showed something good.
Speaker 4: They were they were not having it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean sometimes I I'll chuckle a little bit if I hear one of our local teams or PR people talk about the press in Salt Lake.
Speaker 2: I'm like, what cause I you know, I grew up in the New York market watching my.
Speaker 1: Father get beat up every day by the thirteen daily periodicals and the six sportstock radio stations.
Speaker 2: Yes, so we have so many soft people here, so many babies. I go, did you hear what they said about us on the radio? Did you hear what Gordon Monson wrote? I'm like, are you kidding?
Speaker 1: You wouldn't survive for five minutes anywhere other than Salt.
Speaker 2: Lake, you cake, It's just ridiculous.
Speaker 1: But anyway, rant over Scott, when we last spoke to you about thirty thirty five minutes ago, I said, to you off their, I said, look, when I listened to Brandon Rose talked to the media yesterday, it sounded like a kid who thought he was going to start.
Speaker 2: And you referenced you had some clues after listening to coach Wit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you know Coach Witting, And I don't have personal information. You know, this is just speculation, it's reading the tea leaves, it's just kind of the nuances of voices. And one of the things Coach Whittingham is he's a very honest man, so he wants to answer the questions truthfully.
Speaker 4: But he's also you know, he's he understands.
Speaker 3: Gamemanship and and and you know, if you look at the visiting locker room at right Cycle Stadium, you'll see that they're very much into we're not giving anything.
Speaker 4: To our opponent.
Speaker 3: I mean, the locker is just it's a joke, it's uncomfortable. So any way he can get an advantage, and so not telling anyone who the starter is is part of that advantage. That that he kind of that's his mantra, that's what he does. But he was he was very clear to me about if Isaac Wilson was a starter and Isaac Wilson has been the starter. I don't think I don't think. I don't think that. I think he would have just come out and said that. But he said, we have a plan, we know what we're doing, and and I really think that was and for that, I think, you know, it was. It was Brandon Rose because I felt and I go, just go watch the film and I can sit down with you and I can show you the film and I can show you the difference. And and Brandon Rose really impressed me, like way through the ball went he through the ball, the decisions, he was just very decisive, he was very comfortable, and that this was just Houston. Yeah, and he hasn't played Look, I understand he hasn't played much, but he didn't walk walk into cam Rising hadn't played much, and he steps in the game against San Diego State, and all of a sudden, it's like it was different.
Speaker 4: And that's what I saw with Brandon Rose.
Speaker 3: And I understand, you know, it's a small sample, but a very small sample. That kind of gave me some encouragement. Now, Isaac Isaac Wilson, I'm not I'm not like against Isaac Wilson. I'm not down on Isaac Wilson. He's young and and and you can see that that maturity level is just really hard for a young guy to really go through the whole season and mentally be there. If you've ever been through a football season, let me tell you how it is. It's a grind it wears on you mentally, it wears on you physically. They're they're a month into football before they ever play a game. Coach Whittingham is not a he you know, you want to talk about tough media, He's a tough coach. His camps camp Kyle is not for the light, you know that the timid and and uh and so just that grind of going through all of that is is a tough thing. And that's what makes these teams, you know, tough during during the season. And and he and it's it's it's who he is, it's what he is. But when you have a young quarterback he's trying to figure out things, it's just it's just hard to to it's hard to almost breathe. You know, you just feel like it feel like you're you're swimming. To some degree, I haven't seen from Isaac any growth.
Speaker 4: You know, you want to see.
Speaker 3: That turjectory, and it's just been flat, if like dipping, you know, the game. You know, every game just looks like the same game. And so there hasn't there just hasn't been anything. And so it just just tells me he's still young, still still learning, still trying to figure it out.
Speaker 1: So I feel like Scott, if Utah is gonna win this football game, because the fact of the matter is they have not scored more than twenty three points against the p fourteen. Right, they hung forty nine on Southern Utah, they hung thirty eight on Utah State. But they're high as twenty three against Baylor, twenty two against Okay State, and then it's been ten nineteen, seven, fourteen, it feels like if Utah's going to win this game, and as you outlined earlier, there's no data that indicates Utah is the better football team.
Speaker 2: But this game is weird.
Speaker 1: It always is, So it feels like if Utah's gonna win, it has to be like seventeen.
Speaker 2: Fourteen or something.
Speaker 1: I mean, do you anticipate coach Witt trying to really slow it down and Ryde McKay as much as you can and try to keep retz Laf off the field?
Speaker 2: Like, how did you?
Speaker 1: I guess the better way to ask it is, how does Utah win this football?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 3: I think this offense when you saw Cam Rising in the game, was actually explosive when he was healthy, not when he came back. And and I don't know how good this offense. I know this players are good, they're talented. They lost money Parks. That hurts because he's a deep threat, and he's a legitimate deep threat. So you just haven't seen a quarterback back there that can really, you know, take this offense out of second gear, you know, and like, let's get it out there and let's really see what happens. I think there's the potential of the offense being explosive, and I'm really curious to see what Brandon Rose could do with that.
Speaker 1: You still feel like there's an explosive offensive performance left on this roster.
Speaker 3: There's just too much talent at the skill position, with the tight ends, with the wide receivers that it's just been inexperienced quarterback play and in an injured quarterback play. And to me, the quarterbacks in college football make a huge difference. I mean it's been a difference for BYU, there's been a difference for every team in the country that's doing well. Is you have an electrifying, game changing quarterback and you just have to have that, and Utah hasn't had it.
Speaker 4: I think Utah's defense has done an.
Speaker 2: Exceptional job this year, for sure.
Speaker 3: But you've got to have You know, I don't think seventeen points. I don't think having a defensive battle. I don't think it wins the game for you. I think you've got to You've got to be explosive. You've got to be in the high twenties to maybe thirty points if you're going to have any shot in this game.
Speaker 4: If you're you're the offense. And we don't know Brandon Rose.
Speaker 3: We know what would happen if Isaacson, there's probably not going to happen, but maybe you get a little explosive with Brandon Rose.
Speaker 2: Who do you think the best defense is the Utah has seen so far this year?
Speaker 4: You know, you know Houston.
Speaker 3: Okay, Houston was actually they were, and they were one of the one of the top defenses in the country.
Speaker 4: But here here's this is hard too.
Speaker 3: It's hard because every defense that plays Utah plays them a certain way. Right, they lowed the box. They dare Utah to throw the football. I mean, I mean, oh, Oklahoma State did it, every Arizona did it. Arizona State did it. Every single team except.
Speaker 2: Baylor because Cam was underd Yeah, right.
Speaker 3: And they all they all just said we're gonna crowd the box. We're gonna we're gonna be really aggressive play down hill, and so you do a lot of run blitzer, so you get that early penetration so that the run game just gets blown up because they don't care, like we'll throw caution to the win because because you're consistently not gonna beat us on the outside. And and the defense has kept the offense in every game and Utah has done nothing, nothing to scare defenses out of that. Look, it's like every week I see the same I just see the same thing that's gonna happen. And and uh, but but I really really thought of all the defenses that that probably the best was Houston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and look they just be case State.
Speaker 1: I mean I asked the question because I look, I was prior to.
Speaker 2: I would say the TCU loss.
Speaker 1: I was the radio host holding on to the final branch before I hit the ground. And it felt like everybody else's face was in the mud because prior to the TCU loss, everything was still on the table.
Speaker 2: You know, you can get in with two losses.
Speaker 1: You have a schedule with head to head with other teams in front of you, and now I just have to be honest, my optimism for any sort of explosive offensive performance Scott is not here today, which is why I pose the question, because it feels like if Utah is gonna win John P's four and a score, defense scores, they turn Byu over in a way they haven't turned anybody over all year. They're opportunistic, they get a special teams or a defensive touchdown and Brandon just doesn't turn it over and they cruise to some sort of seventeen to ten type victory. But there's a chance BYU's defense will be as tough of a defense that Utah's offense has ever seen. So based off your knowledge of defenses and how you've outlined the way teams are trying to play against Utah, we anticipate that it is Brandon, So Byu is probably going to sell out to stop the run like everyone else has. You're Mike Bijakian. How do you take advantage of that defensive attack and scores score some points in a way that we haven't seen.
Speaker 4: In a while.
Speaker 3: Well, for me, everything always starts at first down. I mean, it's just it's just you have to start there, and so you have to be willing to get explosive on early downs and and in the early part of a series. This is something about you get off to a good play, a good start in a drive, everything just just flows. And with a guy who can throw it down the field, a guy who's willing to throw it down the field.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: And and the play action game is such a big part of what Utah has done in the past. It gives you those chunk plays. So there are some play action parts to to the offense that I would incorporate. But I would I would be willing to open it up on early downs and throw and throw the football.
Speaker 4: And I keep saying it.
Speaker 3: I feel like I'm a broken record with this, but I mean, the tight ends have been so massively under util lines. Yeah, and there's there's just a lot of confidence building plays that tight ends bring to an offense that if you'll use it, they're there there and they're open, and they're just they're high percentage easy throws that they might be a seven or eight yard catch which turns into an eleven yard game. You know, if you throw it on time and you throw it accurately. Uh, those are the things you get. You've got to You've got to really break out of this extra guy in the box kind of thing, and you've got to try to be a little bit more explosive. The answer last week was, you know, early it was just like, we're gonna throw screens. We're gonna and and it worked once or twice, and and the and the bubble screens, you know, the one to Keithy work. But then the rest of the game you know that it didn't work at all. And I but I just really think Brandon Rose brings an element of being able to throw the ball down the field and his ability to actually run and run decisively when things aren't there.
Speaker 4: Maybe that key that kind of unlocks this offense.
Speaker 1: I want to go back to something you referenced in our first hit to start the show, and just to throw a few names.
Speaker 2: We talked about a few of these earlier.
Speaker 1: The Scott Mitchells of the world who in ninety eight goes for three eighty four and three touchdowns, the Eddie Johnson's of the world, the Mike McCoy's, the Jamal Anderson's, the Chris Fua Matzamahafala, the Brandon Warfields, the Steven Savoys, the Brett Ratliffs, the Brian Johnson's, the John Whites, the Joe Williams, the Brandon Burton for the block. The fact of the matter is you can be remembered as a legend with one great game against Brigham Young.
Speaker 2: But as you referenced, and if.
Speaker 1: You pull up both to be fair, if you pull up both Utah and BYU's roster, you see players from California, Washington, Texas, Florida, Canada, California, Arizona, and I could keep going Kahuku. Obviously, I don't know what the percentage is. There's a good amount of players on both teams.
Speaker 2: It did not grow up here.
Speaker 1: I think it's fair to say maybe back when you were playing, there was more of a local presence on both rosters generally speaking. So if your coach with if you're obviously the coaching staffs from both teams know exactly what's at stake on Saturday, how do you get the message across from a to a kid from Rosenberg, Texas, Like, dude, Saturday is different.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry if you don't fully understand, but it just is.
Speaker 4: I think it's really hard.
Speaker 3: Again, I thought it would be one of the biggest challenges, one of the biggest concerns for Utah because they've been out, they haven't been conference foes for so long. And you can be from a different state, you can be from a different you know, part of the country, and and but if you've been conference foes for a while, like it matters.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember interviewing the players from USC and the PAC twelve media days and they're like, you know, do you like having that late season game against Notre Dame?
Speaker 4: You know, because it.
Speaker 3: Can really in there, like like we would never give that, Like that game means so much to us and so understanding and being in the thick of a rivalry that matters. I don't care where you're from, it'll matter right now. They haven't been conference foes, and I think and for that, I think b YU has a harder challenge because they have so much more to lose, you know, and so there's so much more pressure on on BYU and this gin. There's like no pressure on Utah. It's just like the expectation for people is Utah is gonna lose this game, like like like the expectation is there is no expectation, and where with BYU, it's like, man, you better not lose it. You can't throw away this amazing season just by losing to them. And there's there's that pressure that's built in there, and that's when things get funny, you know, because then the players, you know, you play tight, you play you know out of the like, don't lose this game mentality as opposed to let's go win the game mentality. And and that's when you start to see the mistakes. And that's where I think Utah has the advantage in this game, is when it when the pressure really is all on BYU to play well.
Speaker 1: So let's continue the quarterback conversation, but let's switch over to what you've seen from Jake. Jake Rhetz laugh who last year in four starts, lost all four of them. And I watched every minute of those games. He made so many errors, not just the ones he paid for. He had throws that should have been picked off. He had fumbles that were covered by his own team. It was a comedy of errors of sorts. Obviously that kid put in some serious work. I was told that it really wasn't a QB competition. A Rod thought Jake had put in the work in the offseason. They'd seen enough raw potential. There are now to your point about Utah's defense. If you're a YOUTE fan, here's why you should be relatively optimistic.
Speaker 2: The problem is Utah football.
Speaker 1: For everything you said about their d because most of the numbers indicate they're a top two or three d in conference except for two, they don't get to the quarterback and they don't force turnovers. But for all of Jake's brilliance this year, there are still three or four moments every game where you're like, that should have been picked, you should have paid for that.
Speaker 2: So he's been really good. I'm not knocking off. But if your Utah's defense are those Jake.
Speaker 4: And you go, well, we haven't turned the ball, we haven't got turnovers a lot, we haven't got to the quarterback percentages. Just say it will come inevitable.
Speaker 3: It's inevitable that can happen, right, And a lot of it has been game situations. A lot of it's been a lot of teams have been really really conservative playing this Utah defense.
Speaker 4: They have not let the quarterback sit in the pocket.
Speaker 3: They haven't had to because you're not playing from behind, you're not you know, So the one element that and that's on the offense. The offense doesn't put pressure on the other team's offense because we don't have to score because you guys suck.
Speaker 4: Off.
Speaker 3: And so so those are a little misleading because I like a lot of what this defense is and what they've done. They've just been they've been in some really unfortunate tough situations.
Speaker 1: And meat and potato metrics are good, good against the run, they're good against the past, the good efficiency.
Speaker 3: Yes, and and and under duress because there have been a lot of three and outs made eleven punts, you know, I think against TCU and and you just do you get tired, You get worn down in a game, and it's and it's hard to to stay at that high level every single play, every single series. And that's why you see kind of these big plays that happened from time to time because someone just got tired and they just didn't quite get to their gap where they're supposed to be.
Speaker 4: And that you know, that's just the product of just being tired.
Speaker 3: But yes, so so what what Jake reds Laft has done is he's just made some plays at the right time, and he's made plays running the football. And but there's a little bit of I've lived on some borrowed time here, and that catches up with you eventually. You know, you you live by a certain way and you're gonna die by it eventually, because that's just that's just the way things are. And and I and that's to me, the pressure of this. You know, can you create enough pressure about this game? Can you put enough pressure on him to where you know he's gonna he's gonna give you a turnover? Because I think turnovers are going to be a huge part of this game. They always are, and and and I think a lot of it is because of that weirdness and that extra pressure that happens in this game. To me, it's about stopping him running more than it is stopping him throwing the football.
Speaker 4: And I think if you talk and do that, you know they're they're gonna have a chance. You know.
Speaker 3: To me, I think your defense is gonna give you a chance no matter what. I think they're really going to give him a chance if they can do that. And and it's just can the offense produce enough? Can you find other opportunities? So maybe you play a little bit more aggressive on defense to try to get interceptions. Maybe you open up your special teams to try to, hey, let's get a return somewhere somehow, let's go after and you talk did that a little bit. They went after the punter a couple of times in the Houston game last week because you got to figure out, you know, somewhere to manufacture enough another offense.
Speaker 4: But the quarterback, to me, really it's it's a b y u is.
Speaker 3: Everyone's just playing with a lot of enthusiasm. You know, they're just playing hard. I don't know that they're extra special talent wise or whatever. I don't I don't know talent wise, you know, I don't know that it's very different across the board in the conference. But there's just they're just having fun playing football. They're energized, they believe in what they're doing, and and that that you find ways to create opportunities on the field when you play like that.
Speaker 1: One more thing for the segment that we're gonna grab my guy Mikey here. So I referenced when you were playing, it felt like there were just more local players on each roster who got it.
Speaker 2: But there weren't. They weren't all local players.
Speaker 1: So what was it like for you as somebody who was a local, to explain to your teammates who didn't grow up here what this game is actually like.
Speaker 5: H.
Speaker 4: Okay, I have a funny story, jar.
Speaker 3: And so we they someone from BYU painted the U blue, right, and our players did not like that, right, And so some of them were gonna go down and they were gonna they were gonna paint something red in Provo. Okay, and they were players of color. And I said to them, understand your enthusiasm here, but you're gonna stick.
Speaker 4: Out in Provo.
Speaker 2: Maybe don't do that down there.
Speaker 4: You're gonna they're.
Speaker 3: Gonna, they're gonna go You're not from here, right, And so they end up going down there, and they they tried to paint the cougar at outside the stadium red and they were arrested before they got they got there. But it it really didn't take long for anyone to understand this rivalry in my time, because BYU was so they were so arrogant about and.
Speaker 4: They had the right.
Speaker 3: I mean again, fifteen out of sixteen, I mean BYU had it going on two yeah, right, yeah right, And so.
Speaker 4: No one took that lightly. Whether it just it didn't.
Speaker 3: Matter, it wasn't it wasn't hard in that game. It's like, all right, guys, you've set yourself out there, you better come out ready to play. And they did, and we actually lost that game. I think it was it was like twenty one seventeen or something. It was, it was in nineteen eighty seven. It was a close, close game. But yeah, we understood everyone understood the rivalry and it probably meant more to us to win it and to play in it than I think than I think b yu more.
Speaker 1: With Scott coming up on the other side, we are going to bring in Austin Collie today. Magic Happens on the program. We also have Riley Jensen later on as well.
Speaker 2: Airup wants your blood.
Speaker 10: Come donate during Rivalry Week on November fifth.
Speaker 2: Let's see if your blood is red or blue, and you might even win a pair of game tickets. Arup fell Trade deadline today. Cowboys are weird. Just gonna say that.
Speaker 1: Arup Blood Services ninety seven eighty six South, five hundred West, Sandy.
Speaker 2: Come on, buy donate some blood we needed this time of year.
Speaker 1: And you can enter to win tickets for BYU Utah football on Saturday night, and you can also grab a Megaplex movie pass, you can get the autograph of the man who slayed the Mighty Giant back in nineteen eighty eight. Scott Mitchell's here live on site for another big, long, juicy football segment. All right, Scott, So we are of the same mind that we do believe it's Brandon Rose over Isaac Wilson. As we've talked about, what's what's the difference? Does it make a difference in your mind? Obviously the position is of utmost importance, and you reference you liked what you saw on tape from Brandon against Houston.
Speaker 2: What's a reasonable expectation for you fans? With a play caller who will have his second game under his belt and a young man who we both believe is going to make his first college football start.
Speaker 3: The biggest difference happens when the players believe, right, it's not so much the quarterback, it's all the people around you. You go and there's a there's a tendency to try a little bit harder, and it's not it's not a conscious thing per se. Maybe sometimes it is, you know whatever, but but most of the time it's like, Okay, hey, we got a guy in here. He's gonna get me the ball, and and and uh, he's gonna make plays. We're gonna we're gonna have a chance. It's it's that whole mindset of hope. And when you have someone in there, whether you know, whether they have more talent, they do a better job. But if the players believe in that guy, that that can really just that can change the dynamic like like nobody's business. It's it's the mindset is such a powerful thing, especially for these college kids, you know where where they're they're they're still trying to figure out and find their confidence and their belief, you know, because when you you start looking at this offense and it's just lost its confidence, Cam Rising he just oozed confidence and he just brought that to the table and lifted not only the offense, but like the whole entire team. So you get a guy out there that kind of changes that everybody, even the coaches, you know, even the defense even you know, if you get someone we got a guy in here, we know we can win, You're gonna get a better, more consistent effort from everybody.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask you about the Houston game, And as you pointed out earlier, I mean, look at this point, like this week, we were supposed to do our Big twelve Power rankings. Yeah, and I'm like, let's kill the segment because I would say it's b YU one.
Speaker 2: Then everyone else tied to through, so I.
Speaker 1: Don't know who's good and Houston just BATK State, So maybe they figured some things out. That was game one for Mike Jacan. You played the position at the highest of levels. Did you notice anything different with the play calling?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 2: Did he put his own stamp on that game at all?
Speaker 4: I don't know that.
Speaker 3: I don't know that it was significantly different. They've they've ran an actual screen and and it worked, and it you know, and and so that was maybe a little difference, but everything else because you don't want to just like fire sell the whole entire office.
Speaker 4: You can't.
Speaker 3: You can't learn those other those players can't learn a new system. It's just impossible and learn it and feel confident to go run in game situations.
Speaker 4: So you're it's gonna be the same plays.
Speaker 3: Uh, you know that Andy's had and you don't want to change it because the players are good.
Speaker 4: It's not it's not a it's not a question.
Speaker 3: It's about executing the plays and and about you know, making making plays, it's about converting third downs, it's about you know, just those fundamental things. I think we talked about them where there was this lack of focus with coming back to the football, catching the football, offensive lineman, going off sides, and and and that to me said this this team is not having the discipline to prepare themselves to play because you see those those those are those are absolute fundamental things that have to happen when you play, and it takes a level of comp uh, focus and concentration. But also it's it's the discipline to do it during week the week, doing it every single day, where they become just the habits of who you are. And when you're kind of going through the motions you're not believing in things, that's when that's when you see that that that offense really sputter. And that's that's what I've seen with this this Utah team.
Speaker 1: So it's very safe to say that Utah is gonna have to protect the quarterback and they're gonna have to open up some lanes for the running backs because b yu, they have gotten to the quarterback and they do force turnovers, they do create havoc plays we're hearing and maybe you have some first hand inside here, some rumors about maybe some O linement that aren't entirely healthy for Utah. B YU will be without Connor pay and one of the doesn't one of the receivers is out.
Speaker 2: But they've got like seven dudes in that room. Tell me what you've seen from the.
Speaker 1: O line, both the good and the bad this year, and what you're expecting on Saturday against a really good BYU.
Speaker 3: Front really quick about the conference and who's good and who's bad and banking everything. I think the conference almost from top to bottom is about the same, even by us, And so it's a matter of timely place, it's a matter of playing right. It's a matter of how your schedule flows out, and not only not only who you play, but when you play them, you know. And so I mean, you look at Utah going down the road. They got BYU, who's at the top of conference. They've got Colorado who's at the top of the conference. They have Iowa State, who's at the top of the conference. I don't think you would have said that at the beginning of the year. You got and then you got UCF, which all of a sudden looks like they might have gotten explosive. And so it's it's about this attrition, and you talk about losing guys, and it's do you have enough depth and and and are you playing, you know, at the right time. And so there's just a fine fine line between winning and losing in this conference, from top to bottom. There is not one team you just go, oh, they are just head and shoulders better than anyone else in the conference. So you've got to show up week after week and and game after game if you're going to play and play well. And some guys, some teams do it and some haven't this year, and really the conference could go anyway. And I think that's a that's a hallmark of the Big Twelve in general. You know, they've had a lot of different winners in the conference. And you know, TCU went to the College Football Playoffs a couple of years ago and they're trying to figure out who they are today. UCF was undefeated a few years ago. Cincinnati was a really good team. But as far as this offensive line, to answer your question, I think it's.
Speaker 4: Been a very consistent performance.
Speaker 3: The quarterbacks have had time to throw the football and they've done an exceptional job of actually run blocking. What the thing that I saw early on, and I saw a lot last year, was too many guys were just missing blocks, whether it was in the run game or in the passing game, just getting beat on one on one situations. And sometimes that's a product of youth. You know, there was a little bit of youth in the offensive line.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 3: The the offensive line, to me, has been a very pleasant surprise this year. They I certainly think they've done a pretty a pretty decent job. The one thing that's been hard, and Utah has been so good at it in the past is running in the red zone and running inside the ten yard line, and you haven't seen that this year. There have been some situations where they've had some some short yardage and that they haven't converted on. But but overall, you know, I've liked what the offensive line has done. Part of what helped the offense in the past was a quarterback though, of course, and kind of took he kind of erased some of the mistakes you saw. Even Tyler Huntley did this when he was there. He got out of some tough situations. And but Cam was a wizard at it, and when he hasn't been in there, you haven't had that that element, which again it helps you to kind of well, the offensive line is not doing too bad because the quarter you don't you don't necessarily see it as much. But even though the quarterback is played not so good with Cam out, the offensive line is still played pretty pretty solid and pretty consistent.
Speaker 1: So of course we know that Kay Bernard is running back one, and Kyle told us as much, and I think there was some skepticism about whether or not he could run between the tackles because we just hadn't seen him do it, but he has been able to do it, certainly in spurts we've seen a little more Jalen Glover as of late. Jalen had some unfortunate media availability yesterday where he decided to say some things that probably might end up on a bulletin board.
Speaker 2: But that happens, It's okay. Called it the Cold War.
Speaker 1: Which yeah, close, you know, mistakes are made, But Jalen Glover has had really good games for Utah in the past in really big situations. I'm not saying that this is the answer because I agree with you until they find it on your center with a quarterback, you're kind of running uphill.
Speaker 2: Sure, but can we see a little more Jalen. You think as the season wears on.
Speaker 4: You always have to have a number two guy. Uh.
Speaker 3: The number one guy just can't carry the load throughout the season. You're just gonna You're just gonna wear down, and you wear down in the game. You just they they need a break from time to time. I've always been a fan of Jalen Glover. For for whatever reason, he's fallen out of favor with the coaching staff. I don't know why, you know, I just know that it's been the case. And uh and and I'm sure some of his conversations or some of his you know, uh remarks or actions have been probably out of frustration. Sure, you know, I've just there has been a kid that's seems like he does things the right way, plays hard when he gets in the game, and you know, he's not a guy that's gonna be super explosive, you know, but he's gonna get you some really tough yards. And and that's the one thing he's been as a tough, tough runner. I'm not sure that Mike Mitchell has been that guy they thought would be tough running inside who had been kind of the number two guy, and and they give they started to give Jalen some looks here as of recent and and he's a guy that's not only I think good at that, but he's probably pretty fired up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would imagine wanting to show you, yeah right, keep me off the field. And that's a good thing, you know.
Speaker 3: And I don't think it's intentional by the coaches to like, well, let's let it, let's get it pissed off and then you'll play good.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: It's just a byproduct of everything. And I don't want to give a coach any good ideas that maybe they start that that.
Speaker 4: That the strategy.
Speaker 3: But I like him and I think he could he could have some kind of an impact on this game and even for the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: As far as as you outlined earlier, a roster that's still and this was the as I as I talked about last segment, This was the branch I was holding on too before I fell flat in the mud. Is I still believe the talent on the roster is there and there's a reason why all of us. And when I say all of us, I don't just mean locally, I mean the national media too honed in on this team as the favorite to win this.
Speaker 2: Conference and go to the CFP.
Speaker 1: That maybe we were misguided, but it doesn't mean we weren't wrong about the personnel. So I want to talk about and obviously you have experience playing quarterback in the pros. I would imagine at some point, maybe during a rough period for you or your team, some of your targets weren't thrilled with you because you weren't throwing them the football. How tough is it for a Dorian Singer or a brand Keithy or any of these guys Caleb Loher who has three catches on the year and all three of them are touchdowns. How tough the tight ends, as you reference outside of brandt like not existing even though there's talent there. How tough is it to stay confident and ready when you don't have the right guy throwing you the ball all year long?
Speaker 4: I think it's brutally hard. Yeah.
Speaker 3: If I was in that situation, it would drive me banana. I'm sure I would just be like, oh my goodness. You know, in Detroit I had Herman Moore and Brett Perriman and and Johnny Morton was our third guy, and you know, and he was really good and Bretton and Herman had over one hundred catches and and Brett was still mad like he's like, you know, throw me the ball, you know, and and and for me, I liked it. I like that these guys wanted the football. They wanted it every down because it's like, I know, if I throw the ball to you, you're gonna make a play on it, like and you build that cam Radnie. We had one situation Brett got so mad he wouldn't come in the huddle. This is no joke. And I go, dude like, and he goes, well, you're not going to throw me the ball anyways. And I go, well, just line up and don't jump off sides in and just go over there and pal, you know, it's just what if that's the way you're going to be about it, Yeah, you know, And that.
Speaker 4: Last set about a play.
Speaker 3: But uh, and I love Brett and I'd love throwing a football to him. With the Utah situation, I just I feel for these guys, I really do, because you have to you have to show up, and you have to play hard, and you have to you may be in the third quarter and you you may have been you know, real time, sitting there for three hours before you've thrown your first pass has thrown to you and then go, okay, catch it now, you know, and and it's and it's and that's why, that's why I talk about getting guys involved early in the game. It's just it's just it's they just feel confident, they feel and even if you just talk to them.
Speaker 4: You know, hey, okay, I know you're you know, what do you like?
Speaker 3: You know, just anything, just even if you're even if you're bsing with them, just talk to them, Just talk to all of them, because uh, they want to feel like, you know, they're they're they're involved in they're they're a part of this. And and human nature is just like why in the world am I going through this over and over and and uh and I'm never getting the ball. I'm not involved because everyone that goes out on the field, and I shouldn't say everyone, but most everyone they go.
Speaker 4: I want to be a difference maker, you know, give me the ball.
Speaker 3: I want to be someone that that hasn't uh, you know, some some kind of input impact on the outcome of this game, and when you're not involved, it's just it's such it's such a hard thing. And it's so hard when you know you have a lot of really good players because then you're you're like those players are never going to reach their full potential of what they could really be because and so you've got to really get guys that buy into it's about the team and it's about winning. And if it's about team and winning and you're not winning, then what's it about? You know, And it just makes it brutally hard.
Speaker 1: Well, and for guys like Dorian Singer and Bran Keithy, I'm no NFL scout, but you can find mock drafts that have them.
Speaker 2: As NFL prospects.
Speaker 1: The guys you were thrown too, it's about their money, right, Like they want their catches because they want their contract. But if you're Branton Dorian, you want to put good tape out there so you can get drafted. And they haven't had the quarterback this year, although maybe it doesn't matter. Devon vele is killing it in Denver and he didn't get Cameron as much as we thought he would either, But there's got to be that element too. These guys are looking at maybe the next step, and if they can't get exposure for what they can do because of the quarterback, that might seep in a little bit you start to see some frustration.
Speaker 3: And rightfully so you know, I'm not mad at no, because it's like, look, you know, it's a it's a special opportunity to get to play on Sundays.
Speaker 4: It's it's incredible.
Speaker 3: And and knowing that, you know, so much of it depends on kind of I need to get exposure. I need to have people see what I'm I'm all about and what I can do, and and and being in a situation which which if you're if you're a recruit, it's like, why would I want to go to a school where I'm not going to get that Look, I'm not going to get that exposure, I'm not going to get that development and that that that don't lily hurts you now, it hurts It hurts future future prospects, you know, down the road. But there is there is one thing that's different from when I was playing it and you talk about money, is there's players today that are in college that are are making money. And money is a funny thing and it and it you know, and so some of them may go, yeah, you know, I'm good, you know, and it might take the edge off or the drive or the you know, I want to I want to do well. You know, it's like I'm good. You know, I got a little bit of money, you know, because you're eighteen, nineteen, twenty years old and you know, thirty thousand dollars might make you feel like you're a millionaire.
Speaker 4: You know, you know who knows.
Speaker 3: And so the money side of it can work kind of both ways where I need I want to show that I can get paid, but then I'm getting paid and I'm less motivated because you know, I'm kind of being taken care of.
Speaker 1: Right now, How do you think Utah has adapted to the new reality of the sport.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'll just ask your point blank.
Speaker 1: Coach Witt was asked about it, and he just essentially set out, difficult it's been. It felt like the early returns were fine. Utah didn't have like a mass exodus.
Speaker 4: That did.
Speaker 2: They lose some people for sure, like the jaquinin stuff hurts.
Speaker 4: He's really good.
Speaker 1: So they've lost people like everybody else. They've also brought people in like everybody else. But now that we have about almost three years of data behind us, how do you think Utah Football handles has handled the new normal?
Speaker 3: Well, the thing that I like is they've recognized that it's what you have to do, and I think there's a real effort to do the best they can as far as you know, raising money and having money available for these players. It's you know, it's brutally challenging because you know, players can just bolt, you know, and so you're constantly recruiting players, you're constantly keeping them involved and just going you know, we have a budget, We have so much money we can spend, and you spend money on players who aren't producing or aren't healthy.
Speaker 4: You know, it really it really challenges it.
Speaker 3: I mean, if anything's hurt them, it's not been players leaving. It's been it's been Cam Rising not being able to play. I mean a lot of money went into cam Rising for the last two years for the limited production, and I think it's money well spent, if you you know, I honestly, I think you look at any program in the country, they're going to go out and get a guy, even the top one like Oregon got Dylan Gabriel and he wasn't there. They didn't recruit him, but they go, we need a top two your quarterback, and we're gonna go get him, and we're gonna pay for it. And I think, I think of any position, there has to be a willingness to go get that kind of guy in your program if you're really serious about being a contender on a national stage.
Speaker 1: Since I've simply never asked you the question on air, Cameron has an eighth year of eligibility left. Well, I feel like this is a scenario where a married couple still loves each other but just kind of wants to go experience the world.
Speaker 2: So you give each other hugs, say go take care. This has been fun. Do you It's probably in the best interest.
Speaker 1: And I had Eric Weddel on the day of the Monday after the ASU game.
Speaker 2: He was pretty forceful.
Speaker 1: He's like, no, that's the love can but that's not Where are you at with the potential of him coming back?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you talk.
Speaker 3: There's just a lot of fatigue there both in in the program, like we've had enough, and there's a lot of fatigue kind of from the booster donator side of it, like yeah, we've maybe had enough of this, and and it, and it probably is in in everyone's best interest to to to move forward.
Speaker 4: You know, there's.
Speaker 3: Coach Shula I think would sell his own mother to win, you know, and and so so the competitive side of you goes, yeah, but remember those two years when when you won championships and.
Speaker 2: He comes back?
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, but you know, is there a willingness to do it?
Speaker 5: Is?
Speaker 4: Do you have to pay for it?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 4: Does he want to does he want to do it?
Speaker 3: I'm not I'm not convinced that that Cam is a legitimate NFL prospect, but you know, all bets are off if you're trying to win championships, and if you have a good player and you can get him in your program and he can be healthy, I think you're I think you're foolish not to consider that.
Speaker 1: All right, Scott, Before I set you loose, since this is the time I get with you this week, I.
Speaker 2: Want to ask you for a final score prediction.
Speaker 1: I'll ask you whether or not the ute inside of you anywhere has been able to find confidence that Saturday Night could actually go Utah's way.
Speaker 3: Okay, so the the protective fan side of me just says, man Utah is gonna lose this week, you know, like you just prepare yourself, just set expectations, right, and so then if they But but the real side of me says, this is a this is a really tough game for BYU. It's a scary game for BYU because Utah is not as bad as what their record says it and and and it could just you know, it could be a funny thing. And I really feel like that's probably more of what what's going to happen. I think we're all going to be surprised, you know, from this game. So I'm I'm which is really dumb. I'm gonna bet the ranch on Brandon Rose, okay, and and I'm gonna say I'm gonna say Utah scores twenty twenty seven.
Speaker 2: They have to get more than twenty four.
Speaker 3: And I think I think BYU I'm gonna go twenty seven to seventeen.
Speaker 2: Twenty seven seventeen Utah wins. I think it's I think it's played the damn fight song.
Speaker 3: I think it's it's turnover laden and there's some help in there.
Speaker 4: But twenty seven to seventeen.
Speaker 2: All right, my friend, Well, thanks for coming out.
Speaker 1: It's great to see okay, Scott Mitchell, who'll be on the call with Ryle's coming up on Saturday night. Appreciate his time out here at ARUP Blood Services. That's where we're at at ninety seven eighty six South five hundred West and Sandy. I are live today out here at AARUP Blood Services. It's ninety seven eighty six South five hundred West in Sandy. We're asking for blood donations as this time of year sometimes can lead to a lot of accidents. AARUP is the sole provider to the University of Utah and the Huntsman Cancer Institute. You can enter to win free tickets for the Utah BYU football game. Our next guest knows a thing or two about Utah BYU about football.
Speaker 2: Friend of the Show, it's been a while.
Speaker 1: It's great to have Austin Collie back on the program on a Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Austin, Happy Tuesday, man.
Speaker 6: How you doingany Tuesday?
Speaker 4: How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm well, I'm well. I appreciate your time today.
Speaker 1: So, just generally speaking, what is Utah BYU Week like for you? As somebody who played in this rivalry once upon a time.
Speaker 11: I'll tell you what I'll be honest, I tend to get a lot of requests to do some you know, radio bits and different media outlet interviews. So it's it's fun, man. It's a game that I've you know, I've always held near dear to my heart, and I think all BYU and Utah fans have and you know it. It's nothing but great for college football and great for the stadium.
Speaker 1: How has your prism or review on the rivalry changed in the years in between your performances and you had some great games against BYU. We remember fourth and eighteen you c got eighteen passes for three h four and a touchdown. And then obviously you made remarks that I always maintain we're taking a little bit out of context.
Speaker 2: But you know the deal with.
Speaker 1: This, if you say one thing there were, people will run with them forever. So you're still kind of the magic happens guy. And when that went down, people were not very nice to you, Austin. So, between then and now, how is your view of the game changed, if at all?
Speaker 11: Oh, I think I've put more stock into the game now.
Speaker 6: Like you know, prior to.
Speaker 11: Prior to coming here and prior to coming to by U, right, I lived in California.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 11: I was a packed ten at the time. Kid. You know, I really didn't pay too much attention about, uh, you know, in regards to BYU and Utah and the rivalry. And I remember my my freshman year, my true freshman year, when we went up there, played against the Fiesta Bowl team against Alex Smith and Urban Meyer, and and uh you know, I had a little SoundBite during that week as well that that fans and players didn't take too kindly too and and that was kind of my first dose of what the rivalry meant to the players, the teams or the universities, as well as the state and the fans. And I think my understanding has even gone to another level having lived here now, right, I've got two partners that we don't insurance brokers here in South Jordan, and they are avid Utah fans. So we've been going back and forth for the past two months on who's gonna win this game and what this game means to each of us.
Speaker 2: I gotta love that.
Speaker 1: I wonder if you have, because, as I referenced, you had several memorable moments.
Speaker 2: Against the youths. Is there one that stands out above the rest?
Speaker 1: I imagine I know the answer to that question, but I wanted to get it from you.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: No, I you know, before the eighteen obviously is you know, that's what I'm constantly reminded of from YU fans and and Utah fans alike. Obviously Utah fans have a little bit more hate in our heart when they talk about that play. But you know, I think every game I played, even against Utah, it it was different. It was definitely different than the other games that we played against. You could tell there was a different energy, there was a different uh you know, there was more on the line I think during those games than any of the other games I played.
Speaker 1: So I believe, Austin, you were part of the last b YU team to win in Salt Lake?
Speaker 2: Is that is that accurate? I think that's true.
Speaker 11: That is not true, so I I the last time I won was the fourth and eighteen year was two thousand and seven. And then I, you know, luckily was able to play against two of the best Utah teams that Utah has ever had, right in four lost to them and four and then you know, as luck would have it, I lost them and O eight when they went to the Sugar Bowl, so U, I only got them one time out of three, So I'm not gonna.
Speaker 4: Lie to yet.
Speaker 11: You know, every time we didn't get him, I go ahead and I chalk that up as my own win as well.
Speaker 4: Be fair enough.
Speaker 1: Fair enough you you reference to dynamic about you personally that I wanted to tap into a little bit more, because you know, the these days Austin, as you know, you can pull up either Utah or BYU's roster and you see kids from Texas, in California, in Florida, in Canada.
Speaker 2: In Virginia, and I could keep going. And so it.
Speaker 1: Breeds this conversation where if you're not a local, do you really understand what this game means as somebody who did not grow up here? Do you think the out of state kids really understand what that environment is going to be like on Saturday night? Or is that something that you simply have to experience firsthand?
Speaker 11: No, I think you have the experience firsthands, right like I grew up you know, watching the USC Notre Dame, you know, the Arizona Arizona State, the stay for USC game or stay for cal games like those are the you know, and obviously the Michigan, Ohuse State. And those are the rivalries that I knew. And then you know, having experienced myself, now I have the appreciation that this is like a top three rivalry in the country in my opinion, right, And I I try to say that without you know, any bias. I mean the fact you have so many especially this game, you have so many kind of behind the scenes factors that go to this game, right, the head coach having played at b YU over Utah, the head coach playing at b YU and once coaching at Utah for b YU, Right, Like, there are so many different elements that go into this game that you know, the geography of it all right, the fact that the fan base is are majority, the majority of the fan base is broken up by you know, a single point of the mountain, right, and you know, and those are the things that make the rivalry what it is. And unless you are in the community or have been in the community and understand what this means to everyday people and the bragging rights that go along with it for the next year, and and how how how much people take the win or the loss of heart man, how that can ruin or make the next year? Uh, what it is for some of these fans like you don't know that, so you set foot on campus and played in the game.
Speaker 1: So you've made some of the most infamous comments in the history of this rivalry, as we've talked about.
Speaker 2: But I've always maintained that the real hate.
Speaker 1: When it comes to Utah BYU is fans who use the internet to feel brave. Cowards use the internet to feel brave, so they go online, they attack people in a way they never would in real life, and it seems to very rarely spill over.
Speaker 2: Into real life, although that does happen.
Speaker 1: But it always felt like the coaches and the players respected each other, respected the you know, the the other institution. Intel, a quarterback that you played with, Max Hall, said I don't like Utah.
Speaker 2: I hate them. I hate everything about them. That was the first time like your comments. In my opinion, yes.
Speaker 1: They were remembered in a way that probably is a little bit uncomfortable, but I thought that was kind of like no harm, no foul to me, and then.
Speaker 2: Max just goes, you know, nuclear on the entire thing thing. How accurate are Max's comments?
Speaker 1: Are they truly reflective of the way that most b y U players feel about the University of Utah.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 11: That's a that's a great question, you know, and it's it's a great question to ask only because you know, as the locker room from a geographically diverse or or or continues to become more geographically diverse in terms of where each players come from and not understanding like back back in my day, man, like we had a lot of kids from Utah, so they understood what this rivalry meant. And you could say there was some hatred, there was some uh it will right, uh wished upon the other university. But you know, I think, kid, now, especially with you know how many new kids are, you know, transferring into the into the school, into each school, you wonder if that hatred so exists And I'd probably say not, right, Like, I know, the kid from Utah said some things about by U which fired me up. I loved them, right, I mean, that's what the rivalry is all about. And then I saw that he kind of took them back on Twitter, and I was like, dude, don't take those back, right, Like, this is what the game is about, is what rivalry is supposed to be about. But you do understand, I think, yeah, I would say, maybe maybe the hatred's still there just because it's faan in fused, I guess yeah.
Speaker 1: And I just had never heard a player say what Max said. And for me, somebody who, as I say, I cheer for storylines in my space to talk about, I'm like, sweet, well I've got an I've got a week of content based off of the comments of Maxall. It was just New Austin because I had never heard a player under that phrase, if that makes sense.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 11: It doesn't help too that, you know, Max and I during those days, we would walk around, you know, unfiltered, right, and nowadays I don't think they can get away with that that much, just because of you know, all the eyes and all the outlets, and you know just how popular college football is now to eight compared to when it was back then. But yeah, yeah, Max, I think I think most of the players steel that way. I think Max is the only one brave enough to say it.
Speaker 1: So we had Colanie on yesterday, and when Colde was up here as the decordinator, I did a weekly coaches show with him, so I was able to get to know him and a Rod's my guy, and Jay Hilla you grad it feels from my seat Austin that Kilanie has taken the lead along with Coach Wit, because it's very much Coach Mac and Coach Leavelle as far as the respect and admiration they have for each other. Bronco was central casting for youth fans who think b Yu is pious to just feed fuel to the fire, and it felt like during those days, as you know, the hatred was through the roof, and it felt like it felt like it in the community, it felt like in churches, felt like online. Klani and Kyle seems to have restored civility to this thing from my vantage point, in a way that wasn't around when Bronco was here.
Speaker 2: Do you feel like that's accurate? What are your thoughts on that?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Maybe, you know, I think we kind of put back in the Broncos at Broncos, you know, coaching tenure. I think I would say that it was easy to have a target on our back, right, and I think that was kind of like self inflicted in terms of maybe the hate that Utah had for us, right. I mean, when we're going out there saying things like, you know, quest for perfection and and maybe taking a platform a more I don't know, a religious stance on the university, not saying that it's not happening now. But you know, I think we were kinda we weren't afraid to say it, we weren't afraid to flow on it, right, And I think maybe that that the stark contract between the two universities and maybe the the student body was was kind of thrown in your face and maybe leveraged to kind of incite it's some more you know, more drama, more more ill will towards each other. But you know this nowadays, I think Colaane has done a great job. It's hard to hate Kilonne, right, It's hard to hate any any team that Kilani coaches, just because he's such a great guy and he, honestly, I'm sure has a ton of love for not just with but a lot of those guys over there at that coaching staff that are still there or were there when he was there. So you know, I don't think is I think that he's about to get turned out, to be honest with you, now that we're playing every year. I think that's kind of what kind of decimated the whole thing as well, when the game has no value, and it's just a game to be played, and it doesn't indicate where you're going to finish in terms of the conference, and both of you are in the same conference, I think it loses a little bit of its luster, a little bit of its heat, and and now that it does matter, now that we're on the same conference, I think it's going to turn.
Speaker 2: Back up for sure. Yeah, good point.
Speaker 1: I want to ask you because we had always heard, you know, the way coach Wait and Morgan coach this week and how it's we don't lose to them, and rumors of other things that may not be above board that I can't speak to because I was not there for any of them, Juxtaposed to the way Bronco prepared you guys for this game. It always felt like Bronco kind of took a nameless, faceless approach and this is just another game type thing, even though we all know it's not.
Speaker 2: How did Bronco get you ready for Utah b Yu? What was that week?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 11: Yeah, it was business as usual to be honest with yes, Like I mean that that was kind of Bronco's approach. You know, no, no opponents greater than the others, and you know it is more just show up and play our game. We're gonna we're gonna be just fined. And and to be honestly, I hope I hope Colani takes a little bit more, has a little bit more or he's a little bit more edge to the guys, right and preparing him that that this week is not this week's not like any other week, right. I mean, if you look at the history of the game, I don't know what the what the average is, but you know, this game is decided by very few points each every single year, depending on or not depending on who's good or or or who's having a better season. But I mean it's it's strictly a game that that no matter where anybody stands in the season and how bad a team is or how good a team is, it always ends up being a margin of victory by by you know, or I should say, very small margin of victory.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 11: So it's not it's not the same week, it's not business as usual. This is a different game. It's a different opponent. They're coming and playing with some you know, coming from a place or playing from a place that you know they're not playing.
Speaker 6: Uh you know, they're they're not.
Speaker 11: They're not playing with with any other opponent.
Speaker 4: If that makes sense, it does.
Speaker 1: And from my perspective, I think Kilanie smells blood in the water. Kilanie is the sweetest guy in the world, but make no mistake, when it's time to play, he wants to kick your ass.
Speaker 2: And I think he smells blood in the water.
Speaker 1: I think he sees a team that has struggled offensively to do much of anything.
Speaker 2: And I think they're coming up here for blood, man, I really do.
Speaker 1: And there's no data point that indicates Utah is a better football team than BYU.
Speaker 2: It does not exist. The numbers, not just the record.
Speaker 1: You go deeper, there's plenty of data points that indicate Utah still has a really stout defense, but offensively it's been a mess. I think, you know, it's not just Kilane. It's a fan.
Speaker 2: Base that heard four years enjoy your independence. We're in the PAC twelve now.
Speaker 1: It's fan base that basically for a generation has had the results more or less lopsided. Even though BYU got Utah last time to break a nine game losing streak, my feel is those boys are gonna be out for blood.
Speaker 2: They're coming up here and they're they're smelling the blood in the water.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I hope, So, I hope, So, I hope they come in with a with a different swagger than they have in years past. And I hope they come in with a mentality that they're going to you know, handle business and continue to convince the country that they're going to be Big Twelve champions and and hopefully end up in the College Football Playoff.
Speaker 1: So a few minutes we have left, let's talk about what's impressed you the most, because look, the fact of the matter is Austin with what happened last week in the Big Twelve, like the walking line for ute fans media was like, Okay, you have a chance to spoil BYU season.
Speaker 2: Well you don't because BYU could lose.
Speaker 1: On Saturday and still and they do still have a very very realistic path through the Big Twelve championship and therefore the CFP, and obviously the one thing you could ruin is a perfect season, which is always impressive when you've seen it the way that we have with eight and oh five to zero conference.
Speaker 2: What has stood out most.
Speaker 1: To you about the way Kilane and a Rod and Jay and the whole staff, the way they've been able to piece this together every week to answer every question that's been thrown at them.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I I mean, they're they're professionals, right.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 11: I think it would be easy to kind of tower. You know, typically when when a team like b YU, who maybe hasn't found themselves in the top twenty five or even you know, obviously the top ten for quite some time, and maybe came in as an underdogs, it's easy to kind of get in the bright lights and maybe shy away or start doubting yourself if you're even you know, if you belong. And one of the things that not only the coaches, but the players have been able to demonstrate is that they're not afraid and they have all the confidence in the world, and they carry that that top ten swagger, right. They do deserve or they do believe that they deserve to be in the top ten. Every week they continue to convince the country that it is such. And you know, obviously that comes down to the way that they're handling it from the coach's end and what they're telling the players, you know, instilling that belief and instilling that confidence that they are a top ten team and deserved to be where they are.
Speaker 1: Last year, Jake struggled. Jake Reetzloff struggled. He lost all four of the starts he had. But I was told early on Austin in the process that this is not a quarterback competition, even though that's kind of what they were presenting, and Jake had really put in the work to grab that job earlier than most of us learned and understood. And look, I will say, there are still moments that you're kind of a little bit nervous. He makes some throws, some decisions that are very risky, but ultimately he's been very, very good. And he was picked by most media preseason prognostications as among if not the worst quarterback in this league, and by most metrics, he's either the best or one of the top two or three. What stood out most to you about the way Jake has played this year, I.
Speaker 11: Think, I mean, going back to what he said about you know, maybe the word being that there wasn't a B competition, I would I don't know how true that. I mean, I know that's what they were saying, that's what you know, uh, maybe was coming out of provo, But there's always a QB competition, especially when you know you got somebody like Gary Bohannon, who's a Big twelve player of the year, kind of waiting in the wings, right and so, uh, you know, when Jake struggled against SMU, it would have been easy for him to maybe second guess himself. Uh, maybe hesitate and and and and maybe get into his head a little bit, only because he knows somebody he's on a short lease, he knows somebody's waiting to take his spot. He has the entire country basically criticizing him, the entire BAU fan base criticizing, you know, the move to play him and to start him when you got somebody like Gary waiting in the wings, and for him to come back against Wyoming and answer the call and then from that point on continue to answer the call, you know, just says a lot about his character and his swagger. Right. I do think the fact that a Rod has been able to use his legs a little bit has maybe freed up his mind. You know, sometimes sometimes you got to do things like that get get a player maybe in his natural habitat in creating plays, to kind of get out of the whole, you know, being technical, standing in the pocket and expected to make every single read, every single throw, and just being able to have that backup plan of creating on with his legs, I think is freed up as you know, his mind a little bit allowed him to play a little bit more to his natural ability and you know, continue to gain confidence right right now. Where he's that confidence wise, you know, it's through the roof. You can tell in the way that he plays he's not thinking nearly as much and not doubting his throws or not second guessing, and like I said, you know, creating his plays, you know, with his legs is another facet that the defenses like Utah has to prepare for and that eventually is going to open up the passing year.
Speaker 1: All right, buddy, before I set you loose, I've asked all my guests all week. You don't have to give you one if you don't want to. There's no pressure here. But what's your gut? Tell you what goes down on Saturday. If you want to throw out your score prediction, please feel free to do so.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I would love to tell you that we're gonna dog walk them right out of right cycles, but don't. I don't think that's gonna happen. I think, like I said, this game is always decided by a small margin of victory. And and uh, I think it's gonna be something like a twenty one twenty four outing.
Speaker 2: Well, that should make for a fun Saturday.
Speaker 1: Well, of course, if you just picked Utah, you just made a little news. I assume you were going blue. Are are you rolling up here for the game? You're gonna be here on Saturday?
Speaker 11: No, I should be doing like the BAU Sports Nation pregame and postgame show, so I'll be out of pro vote at broadcast.
Speaker 2: Consider well, I really know right.
Speaker 1: On, really appreciate your time, buddies, So enjoy the week. It's always a fun one.
Speaker 11: Okay, all right, brother, you too have a great one.
Speaker 2: Austin coley Man was he a player both at Bring him Young, then in the NFL and unfortunately his career cut short with concussions. But he's a sweet guy. I know you fans don't like him. I've known him for years. He's good people.
Speaker 1: So all right, coming up after we say good night, it is Rivalry Week. Coaches Show, the Coach Win Coaches Show, The kylewitting Dam Coach a show during Rivalry week. Oh man, I was like nineteen for nineteen, I got daffy ducked.
Speaker 2: We're all gonna do it all week long. So stay tuned to the Coach Wit Coaches Show.
Speaker 1: We're live today at Arup Blood Services ninety seven eighty six South, five hundred West and Sandy. Come on by, donate a little blood, save a life this holiday season. You'll be given a megaplex, a gift card. You'll be entered to win tickets for Utah BYU on Saturday, tickets for Jazz Lakers, tickets for Utah men's basketball against Saint Mary's. So come on by ninety seven eighty six South, five hundred West.
Speaker 2: It's a big week.
Speaker 1: Excited to have my next guest on played college quarterback. Little cup of coffell, not a cup of coffee, cup of I don't know, tea whatever it is down at BYU. Went to Utah State. He's been in the media for a while. He's a good buddy of mine. Great to have Riley Jensen on on a Tuesday. Riley, Happy Tuesday, man, how you doing, Hey.
Speaker 5: What's happening? It was a cup of decap you know, Okay, okay, I get it because these guys are down there. I'm glad you guys are down there give us blood. My daughter was born at twenty five weeks oh wow. And some of the blood from Arup was donated for the four transfusions that my daughter received. And I'm not trying to make it a sad story, but it's an amazing thing that we do when we give blood. Because my daughter's a thriving twelve year old playing basketball, playing soccer, and it just means a lot when people do what they're doing.
Speaker 1: That's great to hear if Now, I had a little nephew born about at the same time, so I know what that's like to watch them try to grow. So great here that she's doing well, Really appreciate your time. Let you start from this standpoint as a local boy, how does this week hit you when you hear it's time for Utah b YU football?
Speaker 5: Well, as a as a as a youngster, I grew up as a as a huge b y U fan. Now you got to remember I grew up in the in the in the b YU era of Jim McMahon, Steve Young, Robbie Bosco and uh Ty Depver. So those those were some big years for me to watch football, and I can remember. I can remember all the games since I remember being old enough to even watch. And I think that with the exception of a couple of runs with the youths and a couple of runs with or one run with b YU, it's been fairly even throughout the years and just a fun It's a fun beat. I love how everybody's bursting in the seams to pump out their chests and uh, you know, I know people get a little bit upset about the verbiage and the words and the vitriol that takes place, but I I think rivalries are healthy and I think they're really fun. And I think it's a fun week every year when when when we get the CB y U and.
Speaker 2: Up player see, I'm with you. I love this week. I always have.
Speaker 1: And I never played for a paycheck, but you know, I was part of a couple of really fun high school rivalry game situations and I always love that anticipation.
Speaker 2: Take me into your experience.
Speaker 1: As a player wherever you played, because you played in a number of different schools, played at a high level. When you knew that that week you were playing your rival, what's the energy like what's the what's the week like?
Speaker 2: Is it tough to sleep?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What's it like for these players this week?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 5: I think I was fortunate in some of my rivalry games that that my coaches didn't make too big of a deal of it. But I think the thing that I could say about each rivalry game that I played in is that you don't have any trouble getting fired up for the game you're You don't have a lot of trouble focused. I think you have a little bit of inpatience for teammates that aren't dialed in, and that quickly gets fixed. And I think that's why sometimes when you see a rivalry game and you know, the youth by all intents and purposes, have not had the year that they were hoping or thinking they would have, you and BYU is having a year that maybe they didn't think they were going to have. Maybe internally they did, but a lot of fans didn't think they.
Speaker 4: Were going to have.
Speaker 5: The youths right now are going to be motivated and they're going to be ready to play. And I think that's why sometimes when there's a discrepancy between records, the game becomes a lot closer because it's just not tough to get motivated during a rivalry week.
Speaker 1: So ultimately, there really isn't any data available to indicate Utah's.
Speaker 2: Better than BYU. It does not exist.
Speaker 1: I'm not just talking about the records. If you dig into the numbers and the stats, there are a few metrics that ind k Utah's defense is better than BYUS. But for every metric if you find on defense, you can find a couple of other metrics. Defensively, BYUS better at getting to the quarterback, they're better at forcing turnovers, they're better at causing havoc plays.
Speaker 2: So there's no data.
Speaker 1: Available to give a youth fan, you know, hope that their team could win this game coming up. However, as you just outlined, and as we've talked about all week, the bizarre nature of the game leads to chaotic situations often times. Now I saw your tweets and I want to dig into them. Now you send out a tweet highlighting the good in Utah's offense. I was impressed you found some because there has not been a lot. Now in your video breakdown, you have Isaac starting. I believe it's going to be Brandon. However, conceptually, let's dig into it. There's a new play caller. It's Mike Pajaking. We've only seen one game, but from your eye is somebody who's played the quarterback position. What can you share with you fan about the things offensively that you uncovered that actually are positive?
Speaker 5: Well, so so there, I'm not I'm not saying they have any inside source on who's going to start it all because they don't. Just looking through the video, and granted I don't have as as much video on mister Rose as I do on on Isaac Wilson, I still think that Isaac gives them the best chance to win. Now, if that may not be right, that may not be what they observe in practice, but I think when I when I dug into the video, I'm seeing a young man who's stilling a lot of pressure to make a lot of plays. And what I would like to see is I would like to see the offensive line for the University of Taught played better. I think they've shown that they can make some scenes in the run game. There's been a lot of confusion this year, and there's been a lot of just different different places this year where I've seen that they've not protected very well, and they haven't done a good job of I'm going with the running back to protect the quarterback. When Isaac Wilson is protected, he can get the ball downfield and he can make some throws.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 5: Granted, I will say in the Houston game he missed five six eight throws that I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that he'd lost some confidence and he's lost a little bit of his futzbuh from the beginning of the year. But I do think that if they can get the running game going, if they can get some special teams field position stuff going, and they're able to use some play action and sure up some of their protection problems, I do think that Isaac can throw the ball, and I do think that they could use play action because I actually, I actually think that they can have a great run game if they clean that up a little bit as well. But I think it hinges more on the offensive line than who's playing a quarterback.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, it's exactly what I wanted to follow up because based off your video breakdown, from my vantage point, it has been far.
Speaker 2: From the weakness. There's been more good than bad.
Speaker 1: Now I cannot cooperate any of the rumors concerning the health, but there are some rumors that Utah could be down a couple of on linemen.
Speaker 2: We'll have to wait and see.
Speaker 1: But during your video study, what stood out most to you about the play of the old line?
Speaker 5: So in the old line, what's been a problem for me has been the center and the guards. And that's a tricky part of the oppensive line because there's constantly some communication that needs to take place that says, Okay, the center and the guard are going to go left, this guy on the right is going to go to the right. There's always kind of a triangle of defense right in the middle there, and they've miscommunicated quite a few times. When they communicate correctly and they go to the right place, they're great blockers and they're doing a great thing. But there's been numerous times, as I've dug deep into the video, where I feel like there's been some confusion there. And I don't know exactly how University Utah calls their protections. I don't know if that's then if it's the quarterback calling the protections, if it's the center calling the protections. Usually it's one of those two. But to me, it's just been too inconsistent. And when you.
Speaker 6: Constantly have a guy in your face when.
Speaker 5: You're throwing the ball, it makes it difficult to throw the ball down shield. When they've been able to do it, they've they've been really good, and they've been able to get behind some defenses, and they've done some good things. Now I think really good, I'm thinking good on those high plated incidences.
Speaker 6: They haven't.
Speaker 5: What's been frustrated with the University Utah offense is not being able to stream together two and three drives a game. It's all been kind of big plays or no plays.
Speaker 1: So on the other side of things, you also did a video breakdown of Utah's defense, and most of the metrics for Utah's defense they're very good, including number one of the conference in average yards allowed. And I will not bore my audience by just running down all their defensive numbers.
Speaker 2: I'd say that the meat and potatoes of defensive.
Speaker 1: Football, Utah is still probably a top three or four defense in the conference. What they haven't done well, and you're gonna walk us through this, is they have not got to the quarterback and they have not forced turnovers. They're last in the conference in fumbles recovered. I think at last check they were twelfth maybe in sacks. So the things that Utah typically does well on defense, they're not necessarily doing well yet. But you also did a video breakdown of Morgan's defense, so let's dig into that. What should you fans know about what you were able to uncover? That should give them some confidence that they can slow down one of the top two or three scoring offenses in the Big Twelve.
Speaker 5: So one of the things that I mean, obviously I've had a lot of respect for Morgan's defense in the past. You still have a lot of respect for it. What I would like to see them do a little bit more of There's been some really really good playing during the year where they're just playing fundamental defense, but coming out in a man demand defense with a free safety, they call a Cover one and they just play it really really tough, or they come out and they play Cover Q and they just play really really fundamentally sound defense. What I'd like to see them do is trying to confuse quarterbacks, try and confuse people in the run game a little bit, because when they've done it on the breakdown, that I sent to you and that you observe. When they run blitch and when they do some things to confuse the offensive line, they're especially especially efficient. And if they can make teams one dimensional, which has always been the calling card of Morgan Scalley and of Kyle Winningham, is to take away the run game and then really be able to pin their ears back. I think you can see them get some pressure on the quarterback. The problem has been that they don't have enough consistency on the passing downs on getting to the quarterback. With just four they've had to bring pressure and that's always frustrating through a defense coordinator if they have to bring more than four guys to get pressure on the quarterback, because then you're giving yourself one on one matchups in the backfield. It can be a little bit a little bit difficult. They're a little bit more scary than if you can get pressure on the quarterback.
Speaker 6: What's for all?
Speaker 1: Right, So let's go over now to the other side of things and talk about what Brigham Young has been able to do. And Jake Rahetzoff got the ball four times last year, lost all four starts, and he wins the job coming out of camp, and if we're honest, it didn't look great early. And if we're honest, there are still moments during every game where he makes some throws that he gets away with. But you can't take anything away from the way he's played as they're undefeated and by most metrics he's one of the top two or three quarterbacks in the league. So what stood out most to you about this eight and zer start and the play of BYU's quarterback Jake Rhetzoff.
Speaker 5: So getting better and better and better at being a strong armed quarterback that just takes what the defense gives him. He's doing a good job pre and post snap of reading the defense. And what I love about him later in the season that I didn't like as much at the first of the season is he's not afraid to check it down to one of his running backs. He's not afraid to check it down to someone who is wide open instead of trying to force the ball downfield. He's also particularly strong. He has eighteen touchdowns and seven interceptions on the year, but eleven of his touchdowns are in the red zone with zero interceptions, and typically when you're in the red zone, the space to throw the ball and the amount of time that you have to the ball gets a lot smaller. And so that's a really really impressive stat to me. He's doing a great job of taking care of the football there, and I think he's just doing a good job. He can make all the throws. There's some footwork that makes him like airmail a couple of passes here and there. But what I like about him is the reads are correct right now. So even when he does make a bath row, the read is correct. And that's a lot easier to fix as a quarterbacks coach or an offensive coordinator than it is to try and fix the mentality or to fix where I want you throwing the ball. It's a lot easier to fix the accuracy with footwork or with some consistency in practice.
Speaker 1: So I read a couple of stats about BYU's defense that kind of blew me away. They're plus eighteen in turnover margin, that's six in the country. They have fourteen picks, that's third in the country. Rightley, they've outscored opponents sixty nine to ten.
Speaker 2: Off of turnovers.
Speaker 1: Okay, so at some point, isn't there some regression to the meme?
Speaker 2: I mean that seems to be.
Speaker 1: And obviously that's the way Kyle Whittingham wants to coach football, right and that's the way Killanne and Jay cut their teeth under coach Wait. As I've been saying now for a while, it's almost like Kilani is taking Kyle's script and out utah utah. Right now, what stands out most about what they've done on that side of.
Speaker 5: The ball, no question about it. Look, I've been around I've been around Jay Hill for a long time at Weaver State, and there's not a ton of people that are watching Weaver State football. I think that Jay Hill is one of the best defensive coordinators in the country at making halftime adjustments. I've never seen a guy that is more cool, calm and collected at knowing exactly what he needs to do to make adjustments at halftime. The other thing that he does so well, and this is what I was talking about with Morgan, and I've seen more to do it in the past, and maybe he just doesn't have as much confidence in his defense this year to do it is i'd like to see. I like what I see out of the BIU defense because not only are they trying to confuse the offensive line when it comes to the run game, but in the passing game, they're doing all different kinds of looks. They'll start in to cover one and move to cover two. They'll start in to cover two and go to a Tampa two, and they'll start to cover three and roll to a Cover two. Those are all big fancy words for they're trying to make the offensive line, the quarterback, and the wide receivers hesitate for just a minute. And as the old phrase goes that my dad used to something when I was eight years old, he who hesitates is lost. And if you hesitate for just a minute in the passing games, or if you're just looking at it a little bit longer to be sure, that leads to turnovers. And that's why they've been able to turn people over fourteen interceptions. They have turnovers that it doesn't surprise me at all that they're six in the country. And this hasn't been a defense that at certain points during the year they've won games. I mean the SMU games, they've won that game for them flat out. They just won the game for them. Now, there's been some games that haven't been as good, like the Oklahoma State games and that's where the offense got to step up, and that's where I think there's a lot of momentup for REYUS. They've been making plays in special teams, offense and defense, and that makes it really really fun and helps the team to come together to play good football. Why use a good football teams? And everywhere I look, I'm seeing the evidence and the fingerprints of really really good football, including a quarterback, including on defense, and including the special teams.
Speaker 1: All right, Riley, with a couple of minutes we have left, here's what we'll do. Let's start with dissecting and just kind of out, you know, laying out at BYU win.
Speaker 2: What does it look like on Saturday?
Speaker 1: It opened up as a five point spread, Vegas typically building three for the home field. So that's Vegas saying they believe BYU is about a touchdown a little more better than Utah. This spreads down to three and a half. It's a rivalry game. We'll get to the Utah side in a moment. But how does BYU roll in the salt A can beat Utah on Saturday night?
Speaker 2: What does that look like?
Speaker 5: So they make the University of Utah one dimensional, They take away the run, game, they make them pass the ball. It doesn't matter whether it's Rose or whether it's Wilson, either one of the those guys are particularly confident right now in the passing game. And then they get a couple of cheap turnovers, either through a fumble on a sack fumble type thing they or they get an interception, and then offensively they continue to take care of the football and rest Lap doesn't make any major turnovers in the red zone like he's done all year. And if they do that, I think you see b or you win by two touchdowns or more. At the University of Utah this weekend.
Speaker 2: You know, I kind of agree with that.
Speaker 1: As we get closer and closer, I've got a lot of yout friends that are downright nervous, some who are not even attending. But as we know throughout the course of I grew up in this rivalry.
Speaker 2: I went to school at Utah.
Speaker 1: I've been in the media now full time for eighteen years total, just over twenty so I've covered these things. I've been to them, and it's very rare that I approach this game with a finite statement about what's going to happen, because I have just seen chaos all the way around. You can fake you can fake a lot of things. You can't fake desperation. And if Utah doesn't come out and play with desperation, I agree with you, they could get cooked.
Speaker 2: But on the other side, it feels like if Utah.
Speaker 1: Is gonna win it, this is just mean that I'm gonna give you the space force set you lose.
Speaker 2: It's like seventeen fourteen.
Speaker 1: You know they are able to run it a little bit, control the clock, stay clean, don't turn it over. I don't have any confidence in this offense to score more than twenty one twenty four points. They haven't done it against a P four team this year. So on the other side, what does a Utah football upset win look like on Saturday Night?
Speaker 5: So I think in some way or another they got to win special teams. There has to be some sort of either just filled position that they're winning quite a bit, or some sort of a fake, some sort of a big play from special teams, which that had been a hallmart of Kyle winning an teams. But it feels like in the last couple of years that hasn't been as a good as it has been in the past. It doesn't mean that it can't be, but it just it doesn't feel quite as dialed in. I think defensively, they've got to figure out a way to get pressure on reds Lap with just four They can't allow him to throw one on one matchups because he's really good when he knows that he just has to pick a matchup and throw it. And then I think defensively they've got to figure out a way to get turnovers as well. Like like you said, they're playing good defense. The metrics are really good. They've got to get a couple of turnovers and a couple of short fields for this offense to either get field goals or touchdowns because of what they've done defensively. And I think, I think, listen, I know I just said. On the other hand, you were asked me what it would take for BYU to win. I think if all goes well for b are you with they win by fourteen. I think this is more closer to the lines that's being drawn. I think this is a twenty one seventeen game. I think this is a twenty four to fourteen game. I think this is a and that could be either way. I just think the University Utah is going to have a little bit of extra in him. Kyle Winningham's always been tough on a bye week. I know both of around bye weeks, but Kyle's tough on bye weeks, and it's mostly because they go back to the fundamentals and they have a little bit of time to take a deep breath and figure out what's going on offensively and defensively.
Speaker 1: Riley, you demand tell everybody where they can go find you up on your socials or whatever you want to get out there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, just follow me at Riley Jensen. That's r I L E Y j E N SCN. Obviously, I have a mental performance coach in sports psychology. I help athlete from the age of eight to fifty two. I have a fifty two year old steer wrestler and an eight year old soccer player and everything in between, including PGA golfers and pro basketball players that the in set and how to control and react to different pressure situations. So you can find me there at Riley Jensen, and there's plenty of places there where you can find where you can get a hold of me.
Speaker 1: All right, brother, I appreciate the time during a fun week and stay safe and reach out if I can do anything for you.
Speaker 5: Okay, Yeah, happy ride every week.
Speaker 1: Your commute home on a Tuesday afternoon starts right now. Been snowing and been cold, so drive safe out there. It looks like we're going to get some snow tonight, and according to my guy chased over at KUTV, it's going to be the coldest night.
Speaker 4: Of the year.
Speaker 1: So your five o'clock hour, the program starts right now. Your commute home on a Tuesday starts right now. Well, hopefully you're started earlier, but if you're just hopping in your car making your way around town, we appreciate you making us a part of your Tuesday. And this segment has brought to you by Larry H. Miller Ford in Draper, the Ford King, Utah's number one volume FOURD dealer.
Speaker 2: They'll beat any.
Speaker 1: Trade in price in town by seven hundred and fifty dollars anytime, any day. More info online at LHM four Draper dot com. All right, we're in the midst right now of a very tenuous evening that's bringing a lot of nerves to folks, and you're gonna get some results tonight that you may disagree with. You're gonna get some results tonight that you may believe. You know, you may not believe that.
Speaker 2: It's above board. Let me please encourage you to accept the results of the first CFP ranking of the year. See what I did there. You guys thought I was going somewhere else. I was not.
Speaker 1: So it's going on right now. I'm on remote out at Arup. Blood Services would love to see you at ninety seven eighty six South five hundred West.
Speaker 2: Come on by if you do not.
Speaker 1: If you do not have tickets for the Utah BYU game, this is a way you can get them for free.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: If you come on by and donate blood at ninety seven eighty six South five hundred West and Sandy, you'll get a Megaplex movie gift card, but you'll be intered to win tickets to see Utah and BYU coming up on Saturday at ricesecls at eight fifteen. You'll also be intered win Jazz Lakers tickets. You'll also be entered to win Utah men's basketball versus Saint Mary's basketball, so will incentivize you.
Speaker 2: They have great snacks, they're very nice people.
Speaker 1: At ninety seven eighty six out five hundred West and Sandy, So come on by.
Speaker 2: And say hello.
Speaker 1: So the show is going on live right now. The first CFP rankings are going on live right now, and as they kind of unfold a little bit.
Speaker 2: We'll bring them to you.
Speaker 1: Typically, if I'm in studio, we can bring them to you live VR feed, but I'm not in studio. So of course the big question around here is now a couple of things to dig in. Okay, I was talking to Scott Mitchell about this earlier, little confusion. So these rankings are not the seedings for the twelve team bracket. Okay, that's not how this works. So if you see BYU come in tonight, my guess is going to be between seven and nine. They're still in play for a top four seed as a result of winning the Big twelve and the top five conference champs get the top five seeds. Now only the top four conference champs get the top four seeds. Hence Brigham Young most likely will be the fourth ranked conference champ, as the projections right now indicate, so they should be the four seed when the bracket is revealed, but they will not be the fourth ranked team in the country tonight, not even close to it. Okay, so keep that in mind. As these kind of comes filling in, we'll bring them to you. So twenty five is Army undefeated, eight and O twenty four is Missouri Clemson down to twenty three, Louisville at twenty two, Washington State at twenty one, in Colorado at twenty.
Speaker 2: So they're your first five that have been released as of now.
Speaker 1: Again, my guess is BYU is probably gonna roll in between seven and nine. You know, it'd be interesting to see there are still four unbeaten teams and in P four football five unbut beaten teams. Overall the aforementioned Army situation where they're unbeaten and they're now in the top twenty five.
Speaker 2: This also will indicate.
Speaker 1: The essentially the death of the A people after today, it doesn't matter, I mean, we'll still pull it up for frame of reference to see if we can draw any parallels. I anticipate Oregon, of course, will be the number one team in a country Georgia, Ohio State. Then it gets interesting. Miami's undefeated. Does the committee value what they've done with some close calls and maybe not the great best strength of schedule, They're probably gonna be a top five team, Texas will be a top five team.
Speaker 2: And then it gets interesting. Penn State they got.
Speaker 1: A loss, they got got obviously. Tennessee has a Bama win, but they got got too. Indiana is undefeated and they're technically in the AP ahead of BYU, but I wouldn't be surprised. BYU has a better strength of record than Indiana with a couple of top twenty five wins that I wouldn't be surprised to see BYU.
Speaker 2: At eight in Indiana at nine.
Speaker 1: Notre Dame has bounced back, but they have that NIU loss at home. NIU has lost four games since beat Notre Dame.
Speaker 2: What do they do with the two loss Bama?
Speaker 1: And it does bring in Boise State and even SMU into the equation a little bit. I think Texas A and M with our second loss had dropped out LSU in addition to that Iowa State. What happens with the rest of the Big twelve only time will tell. But again reminder, the rankings are not a direct reflection of the seeding. So the top five teams it is the top five conference champs to get the.
Speaker 2: Top five seeds.
Speaker 1: The top four get buys and then teams five through eight actually host the first round of the CFP.
Speaker 2: So it's kind of interesting if your BYU.
Speaker 1: This isn't going to happen because the only way it will happen is if Boise State somehow is ranked ahead of them. But would you want to be the fifth conference champ in the seedings and therefore host a playoff game at Lavelle Edwards Stadium. Some more rankings coming in. Kansas State is at nineteen, Pick comes in at eighteen. Iowa State, as we talked about there at seventeen. That's down from where I thought they would be a week ago. Old Miss at sixteen, LSU at fifteen. Like I said, it does feel like they're kind of out of the mix. So as these things come spilling in, we will bring them to you as far as how the program kind of unfolds. We started the show off today with Tim McMahon. We did a little Utah Jazz shout out to the Jazz. They got their first win of the season. They're gonna try to do it again against Milwaukee coming up tomorrow. Milwaukee won in six no. Chris Middleton, so we did a little basketball on the show. Scott Mitchell rolled by Live on site. I thought the Scott stuff was interesting today because Scott, you know, regardless of what he did in pro football and he had a very long, nice career and made a lot of money, Scott Mitchell is a legend at Utah and the main reason is what he did to BRU in nineteen eighty eight with that dominant win. So we kind of talked to Scott a little bit about what I perceived to be the last opportunity for these Utah football players to kind of step up in front of the community and be great for one day. If you're if you're great for one day against BYU, you're remembered differently, then you know.
Speaker 2: What you would be otherwise.
Speaker 1: Now there's no coming back from the fact that the season is not and will not manifest itself in the way that we all thought.
Speaker 7: You.
Speaker 1: Bottom line, have lost four straight games. You're not in the mix for a Big twelve championship. You're not in the mix for a CFP. As I continue to say all week long, the only thing worse than playing in a throwaway bowl game is not being eligible to play in one. And if Utah doesn't win on Saturday, I'm not sure they're going bawling. The line has moved a couple of times, but it has stayed somewhat steady, steadier than I actually thought it would. BYU opened up as a five point favorite, the line moved pretty quick towards Utah, and BYU remained a four point favorite for nearly two full days, and then this morning it moved one more time towards Utah and right now by you as a three point five point favorite over the Utes. The over under has come down a little bit too forty point five, telling you that anybody who's taking Utah to win the game believes that it's going to be a low scoring game.
Speaker 2: And I suppose that's the only thing you could.
Speaker 1: Believe, because this is an offense that hasn't even scored twenty four points against the PF opponents. They've had two really good offensive games. One was Southern Utah, the other was Utah State. They had a good first half against Baylor because that's because Cameron Rising was under center, and since then it has been anemic. Both Scott and I are of the same mind mindset when it comes to the quarterback. I just, you know, listening to coach Wit and then yesterday, Brandon Rose was made available to the media. Brandon Rose to me, talk like a player that's starting the game on Saturday night.
Speaker 2: That's not a report. I have no clue, of course, where I'm going to learn.
Speaker 1: At the same time, the rest of you do as it pertains to when we will learn who is under quarterback. I think it's simply going to be as soon as they run out on the field for their first offensive possession. We're gonna have Kyle Winningham on the show tomorrow. We had Claudie sa talking on the show today, and so we'll see if we can gleam any information at all how healthy Utah is coming into the game. There are some rumors potentially about the offensive line being a bit banged up. But yeah, I mean, I do try to learn stories here there from the Vegas line and what it tells us and what it's telling us right now that anybody who is picking Utah to beat BYU believes this is going to be like a thirteen, ten, seventeen to fourteen type of football game. All right, So as these rankings continue to spill in, I don't think we're gonna be on air for the entire thing because they're gonna milk their breaks because obviously this is a big, big, big get A BYU comes in at number nine?
Speaker 2: Porter, Is that what I heard you say?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 2: Just comes back?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 2: So there you go.
Speaker 1: I thought they'd be seventh through nine, like I said. But let me reiterate before we start to lose our minds about BYU being disrespected in the whole inferiority.
Speaker 2: And all that stuff.
Speaker 1: This is simply not This is simply not a scenario where the ranking equates to the seating for the bracket of the twelve team CFP. BYU at number nine, as far as these rankings, still indicates they're in the driver's seat to win the Big twelve, and if they do, they're probably gonna be the number four seed with a buy in the first round of the CFP. All right, wrap it up for a Tuesday edition of the show live at Arup Blood Services ninety seven eighty six South, five hundred West and Sandy.
Speaker 2: If you couldn't make it.
Speaker 1: By today, roll by tomorrow because if you donate blood you can still get those megaplex gift cards you and get great snacks and you can enter to win tickets to see.
Speaker 2: BYU play Utah.
Speaker 1: So if you made it out today, thank you so much, means a ton if you didn't try to make it out tomorrow or anytime this holiday season at Arup Blood Services at ninety seven eighty six South five hundred West in Sandy. All Right, to clean it up a little bit, because we were trying to follow it live a couple of segments ago. Today tonight the first edition of the CFP rankings in the projected bracket. So as we talked about, I'm just trying to make sure that I get ahead of the BYU fans are gonna.
Speaker 2: Be crying crocodile tiers.
Speaker 1: The rankings are not the seeding, so BYU comes in at number nine, but they're still slotted in the fourth seed to have a first round by and according to the first CFP bracket, BYU would play the winner of Ohio State and Boise States. Ohio State comes in at two, where they're not projected to be a conference champ, so they slide down to the fifth seed. BYU is both excuse me, Boise State is both ranked twelfth, and they would be the twelfth seed and the winner of that game would advance to play BYU Oregon.
Speaker 2: Is your number one team.
Speaker 1: No surprise, they are slotted to play the winner of Tennessee and Indiana. Texas is slotted to host Alabama round one. The winner of that game plays Miami Notre Dame. Penn State slotted to play in round one. The winner of that game plays Georgia, who is the three seed as of today. So there you go, all right, Porter, Before we get out of here, we're back in studio I believe for a Wednesday show.
Speaker 2: What should our listeners know about it?
Speaker 10: On a Wednesday edition of the program, will positive college football for just a moment, and we'll chat with Pablo Mastroennie, we'll chat with Neil Smith. We'll take care of our other folks, our soccer and our hockey friends, and then we're right back to it. Spencer Lynn for our BYU side, and then the head ball coach Kyle Whittingham on a Wednesday show just a few days ahead of the rivalry game.
Speaker 2: There you go. So it'll be a fun Wednesday show.
Speaker 1: And with that will say goodnight and special thank you today to Tim McMahon, Scott Mitchell, Austin Colly, and Riley Jensen for any of the sound you may have missed from the show today, go to the website, which is ESPN seven hundred sports dot com.
Speaker 2: Make sure to download our mobile app.
Speaker 1: It's the ESPN seven hundred app and that's available in the App Store of the Google play Store for free. Then finally, for what we do in our space every day for four hours, check out our podcast page, which is called It's very creative. It's called The Drive with Spence check its. That's available wherever you get your shows. Give us a subscription, say nice things, give us all the stars. It does help for Cynthia my onside tech of course Porter who produces the show My good.
Speaker 2: Friends out here at Arup Blood Services.
Speaker 1: My name is Spence check it saying I Kyle Whittingham coaches show with the Fano Brothers coming up next Logan and Spencer, So keep it right here on ESPN seven hundred