Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomie podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: I want you to imagine an object that is just so unbelievably dense, possessing such an incomprehensible amount of mass that it weighs a billion times more than our own.
Speaker 3: Sun, which is I mean, it's a scale. It just totally defies human intuition.
Speaker 2: Right, it breaks your brain a little bit. Yeah, But take that image, that unimaginable behemoth, and I want you to put a second one right next to it. Oh man, Yeah, picture of these two galactic giants and they're locked in this high speed, inescapable binary orbit, just whipping around each other, mere moments away from a cosmic collision that is literally going to warp the foundational architecture of the universe itself.
Speaker 3: The kinetic energy and the gravitational forces involved at that scale, well, we are talking about the physical deformation of space time. Here it's being stretched and squeezed by two super massive objects in their final inspiral phase.
Speaker 2: And as of April twenty twenty six, this whole scenario has moved entirely out of the realm of theoretical modeling. Like, we aren't just guessing.
Speaker 3: Anymore, No, not at all.
Speaker 2: We have the data exactly. We are looking directly at the galaxy Marcian five oh one or MERK five oh one, which is positioned in the constellation Hercules.
Speaker 3: Right about four hundred and fifty six million light years away.
Speaker 2: And researchers have uncovered the very first direct, unambiguous evidence of a close pair of supermassive black holes on the absolute brink of merging.
Speaker 3: Which is huge because catching a binary system in this specific final act, it's been this decades long pursuit in astrophysics.
Speaker 2: We're going to completely unpack this today. We're going to map out the life cycle of these central galactic objects. Look really closely at the twenty three year long radio astronomy stakeout that cracked this specific system open, a.
Speaker 3: Literal stakeout, just staring at this galaxy for over two decades.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we'll break down how the impending collision of Mercle five oh one is forcing this massive pivot in how we actually do astronomy, because when telescopes hit a hard physical wall, tracking a merger like this means we have to measure the gravity itself exactly.
Speaker 3: We basically have to transition from electromagnetic observation to gravitational wave tracking. It's the only way forward when they get this close.
Speaker 2: So before we get into the crazy mechanics of the collision in Marcarian five oh one, we really have to look at why this merger has to happen in the first place.
Speaker 3: The weight problem, right, the accretion problem. It's one of the sharpest constraints we have in black hole astrophysics.
Speaker 2: Because if you look at the mass of these objects hundreds of millions, sometimes billions of solar masses, the standard models of how they eat or to crete matter, they just failed to explain how they got so big within the teen point eight billion year timeline of the universe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we know that supermassive black holes reside at the center of virtually every large galaxy. I mean, we have a Sagittarius, a star right in the middle of our own milky way.
Speaker 2: But they can't just grow infinitely fast, right Like. As matter spirals inward, it forms that accretion disk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and viscous friction heats that material up to extreme temperatures. It emits intense radiation.
Speaker 2: And that radiation actually exerts outward pressure, doesn't it. Precisely it pushes back the Eddington limit.
Speaker 3: Yes, the Eddington limit. It's this physical threshold where the outward radiation pressure of that glowing disk perfectly balances the inward gravitational pull of the black hole.
Speaker 2: So it's essentially a speed limit for eating.
Speaker 3: That's a great way to put it. If the mass flowing in exceeds that Eddington limit, the radiation pressure just blows all the surrounding gas and dust away.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it completely cuts off the black hole's fuel supply. So it's an inherent self regulating mechanism. It strictly limits how fast ap black hole can grow just by pulling in gas.
Speaker 2: So if you calculate the maximum theoretical growth rate from a tiny stellar mass seed black hole up to a billion solar masses, keeping that speed limit in mind.
Speaker 3: The universe simply isn't old enough.
Speaker 2: It's just not It's like trying to explain how someone ate an entire elephant and realizing they couldn't possibly do it one bite at a time. They must have just absorbed another giant eater.
Speaker 3: Huh, exactly. The math absolutely requires a shortcut. You don't build a billion solar mass black hole by pulling in interstellar gas slowly over time.
Speaker 2: You build it by smashing two five hundred million solar mass black holes together.
Speaker 3: Right, hierarchical merging, which integrates perfectly with our models of how the universe is structure formed. Galaxies collide and merge all the.
Speaker 2: Time, and when they do, their central supermassive black holes are dragged along for the ride.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're subjected to something called dynamical friction. They interact gravitationally with the surrounding sea of star and gas in the new, bigger galaxy.
Speaker 2: This sort of bounce around and lose energy.
Speaker 3: Basically, they transfer some of their orbital kinetic energy to the stars, flinging those stars outward, which means the black holes themselves lose energy. They sink toward the center and eventually form a binary pair.
Speaker 2: Okay, but if galaxy collisions are so commonplace, why has this final close pair phase completely eluded our detection until right now. What makes his final phase so impossible to see?
Speaker 3: Well, the theory hits a massive bottleneck right there. It's why finding the Murk five oh one binary is such a breakthrough. Dynamical friction works incredibly well at large distances. It brings the black holes from the outskirts down to the core. But once they get within about one parsec of each other.
Speaker 2: Which is roughly what three point two late.
Speaker 3: Years, yeah about that. Once they hit that one parsec distance, the mechanism just breaks down entirely. It's called the final parsec problem.
Speaker 2: The loss cone depletion.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, by the time they're that close, they've acted like a massive gravitational slingshot. They've ejected almost all the stars in their immediate vicinity.
Speaker 2: So the lost cone, the area where stars could intersect their orbit, it just empties out.
Speaker 3: It becomes completely barren, and without any more stars to interact with, the dynamical friction.
Speaker 2: Just stops, so the orbital of the case stalls out. They're stuck.
Speaker 3: They're completely stuck. Theoretically, they could just orbit each other indefinitely, separated by a single parsec, totally unable to close that final gap because there is nothing left to bleed off their momentum.
Speaker 2: Wow. So to overcome that final parsec you need something.
Speaker 3: Extreme right, either a massive influx of new gas to provide viscous drag like a wet merger, or a third super massive black hole crashing the party from a subsequent galactic collision, just.
Speaker 2: To destabilize things enough to get them closer.
Speaker 3: Yes, because only when they cross that final parsec threshold can they get close enough for gravitational wave emission to take over. That becomes the new primary way they lose energy, which.
Speaker 2: Really brings into focus why to detecting this system mcfive Oh one is just so profound. We aren't just looking at a binary system. We're looking at a system that has actually successfully navigated that final parsec problem exactly.
Speaker 3: It's past the bottleneck. It is deep into the gravitational wave emission regime.
Speaker 2: But seeing that requires cutting through the densest most chaotic regions of space. I mean, galactic cores are totally obscured by incredibly thick toruses of dust and gas. You can't just use a normal optical telescope.
Speaker 3: Now, optical wavelengths are entirely useless there, it's just a wall of dust. That is where very long baseline interferometry or VLBI becomes essential, right, And.
Speaker 2: This is where the team led by Silk Britsen at the Max Plank Institute for the Radio Astronomy comes in. They bypass the optical problem entirely by relying on high frequency radio observations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because radio waves can penetrate that circumnuclear dust chorus without scattering too much. It lets us actually resolve the immediate environment of the black hole itself.
Speaker 2: And they specifically focused on the relativistic jets. Mag five oh one is classified as a blazer.
Speaker 3: Right, yes, which means its primary jet is oriented at an extremely narrow angle relative to our line of sight. It's basically pointing right at.
Speaker 2: Us, like staring down the barrel of a cosmic.
Speaker 3: Flashlight exactly, and the relativistic beaming or Doppler boosting makes the jet appear exceptionally bright because the plasma is moving toward us at a huge fraction of the speed of light.
Speaker 2: Okay, so tell me about the actual mechanics of these jets.
Speaker 3: Well. The Blanford's Nedjeck process driving those jets is critical. Here the supermassive black hole is rotating right, and that rotation actually twists the space time around it in the ergosphere right, and that twisting winds up the magnetic field lines threading through the accretion disc. It creates this immense magnetic tension.
Speaker 2: Which just violently accelerates plasma outward along the rotational axis.
Speaker 3: Boom, you get a jet and for decades. The VLBI data for MICK five oh one showed this really powerful, highly variable single jet structure, which is standard for a blazer.
Speaker 2: But the max Plank team didn't just look at a single snapshot. They utilized a twenty three year archive of this VLBI data.
Speaker 3: A twenty three year stare. They weren't just looking for a high resolution picture, they were looking for kinematic evolution over more than two decades.
Speaker 2: It's like watching a time lapse of a creeping glacier only to suddenly realize decades later that there are actually two glaciers moving together.
Speaker 3: That's a perfect analogy because within that massive twenty three year data set they isolated the signature of a second, entirely distinct jet.
Speaker 2: But wait, space is full of interference and radiation. VLBI data on blazers is notoriously messy. How do astronomers distinguish an entirely new second jet from just a I don't know, a burp, a flare, or some distortion in the primary jet we already knew about it.
Speaker 3: That's the million dollar question, because a knot of plasma moving down the primary jet or some instability in the flow can easily mimic a secondary structure.
Speaker 2: So how do you prove it's a second black hole and not just a glitch in the single jet?
Speaker 3: Rigorous kinematic proof. You have to look for sustained non radial motion. A plasma shock or a flare within a single jet will propagate outward generally following the established flow of the jet.
Speaker 2: Even if it expands or dissipates, it still moves down the same path. Right.
Speaker 3: But what the team observed in Mystic five oh one over those twenty three years was a secondary structure that originated behind the primary core emission, and it exhibited a distinct, repeating counterclockwise motion around it.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, so it was orbiting.
Speaker 3: The motion is the smoking gun. A localized instability does not establish a sustained orbital trajectory around the primary core.
Speaker 2: So the only physical mechanism capable of generating a secondary tightly beamed outflow that is actively.
Speaker 3: Orbiting is a second super massive black hole, one that is actively a creating matter and powering its own independent jet.
Speaker 2: That is just mind blowing. And the realization that this second jet was moving like that, it opens up this wild new reality about the whole system. The entire galactic core of Markurrian five on one is in a state of chaotic motion. Yeah. The presence of the second jet also provides the framework for understanding the larger anomalies in the system. The entire primary jet structure exhibits this pronounced swaying motion.
Speaker 3: Silk Britsen compared evaluating the data to being on a moving ship. The entire system is precessing.
Speaker 2: Yes, the orbital plane of the binary is essentially wobbling.
Speaker 3: Because if you have two super massive bodies in a tight orbit, their individual spins and their orbital angular momentum are constantly interacting.
Speaker 2: Frame dragging, the lens thiring effect becomes incredibly pronounced at these masses in proximity. The rotating masses literally drag the local fabric of space time along with.
Speaker 3: Them, twisting the orientation of the accretion disks and the jets they produce.
Speaker 2: Exactly, so the angle of those jets relative to Earth is in a state of continuous predictable change. The sweeping motion alters the beaming effects.
Speaker 3: We observe, and this wobbling, this processing geometry, is what ultimately led to that massive event in June of twenty twenty two, the Einstein ring.
Speaker 2: Yes, gravitational lensing in action. Break that down for me, because the physics gravitational lensing are just wild. It happens when a massive four ground object warps the space time around it, bending the pass of light from a background source right right.
Speaker 3: But the specific alignment required to produce a complete ring rather than just an arc or multiple blurry images, requires an almost mathematically perfect sizogy.
Speaker 2: A perfect alignment between the observer us, the lens and.
Speaker 3: The source precisely. It relies on the impact parameter and the specific orientation. So in June twenty twenty two, the precession of the binary system brought the primary more massive black hole directly across our line of sight to the base of the secondary jet.
Speaker 2: Wow. So the primary black hole acted as the gravitational lens for the second black hole's jet.
Speaker 3: Yes, Because the alignment was so precise, the radio emissions from the secondary jet passing through the primari's gravitational well were deflected equally in all directs.
Speaker 2: It's like looking at a candle flame through the thick base of a wineglass. The glass bends the light into a complete circle. But here the wineglass is a supermassive black hole.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what it looks like. The warped space time stretched that emission into a perfect closed circular contour around the primary black hole's position, a tangential caustic Well.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this, does this kind of perfect ring forming alignment happen on a regular schedule due to the orbit or was June twenty twenty two just a moment of incredibly lucky cosmic timing for us?
Speaker 3: Well, because of the procession, it is a transient alignment, so catching it in a twenty three year window is an incredibly rare observational triumph. It's a huge stroke of luck, but it's also a testament to just continuously watching the system and.
Speaker 2: Catching that ring wasn't just for a cool picture, right, It provided direct geometric conformation of the mass distribution and the separation of the two black.
Speaker 3: Holes exactly the radius of the Einstein ring. The Einstein radius is direct proportional to the square root of the mass of the lensing object.
Speaker 2: So by measuring the angular size of the ring and combining it with the data from the twenty three year VLBI study, they could finally lock down the orbital parameters of the binary.
Speaker 3: With unprecedented precision, and the numbers they derived are just staggering.
Speaker 2: Let's get into those numbers the final countdown, because the orbital period they calculated is just one hundred and twenty one days.
Speaker 3: Which is incredibly fast, and the physical separation between the two supermassive black holes is calculated to be between two hundred and fifty and five hundred and forty astronomical units.
Speaker 2: Wait, two hundred and fifty to five hundred and forty AU. I mean that sounds like a big number, but for objects weighing hundreds of millions or billions of solar masses, that is terrifyingly close.
Speaker 3: It places them deep into the strongly relativistic regime. I mean, the actual physical size of the black holes, their schwartz Child radioccupy significant fraction of that space.
Speaker 2: For scale two hundred and fifty AU is roughly six times the distance from our Sun to Pluto.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's practical. Touching in galactic.
Speaker 2: Terms, in one hundred and twenty one days is basically a semester of college, and these billion sun mass objects are completing a full lap in that time. The gravitational forces at play are unimaginable.
Speaker 3: For objects of this mass to complete an entire orbital circuit in just four months, they have to be moving at a significant fraction of the speed of light.
Speaker 2: The sheer kinetic energy driving that one hundred and twenty one day orbit dictates an incredibly aggressive rate of orbital decay, doesn't.
Speaker 3: It It does. The system is governed by Peter's equations for gravitational radiation. Now it's shedding massive amounts of orbital energy and angular momentum by radiating low frequency gravitational waves, and.
Speaker 2: The decay rate accelerates exponentially as they draw closer.
Speaker 3: Right, the power radio by gravitational waves is inversely proportional to the fifth power of the orbital separation, so the closer they get, the faster they fall.
Speaker 2: In, which brings us to the timeline because the calculations placed the final coalescence of these two behemoths within approximately one hundred.
Speaker 3: Years, just one hundred years. We are not looking at a merger on some vague cosmological time scale. We are looking at an event that will occur within a human generational.
Speaker 2: Timeframe god'smc microsecond.
Speaker 3: Exactly, and the steepness of that inspiral curve over the next century is going to be profound. The orbit will continue to shrink, the period will drop from one hundred and twenty one days down to weeks, then.
Speaker 2: Days, until the event horizons finally intersect and just ring down into a single newly formed black hole. Okay, So if they are that close and moving that fast and give an emerge one hundred years, why can't we just point to the biggest telescope we have at hercules and watch them crash.
Speaker 3: And that is the ultimate frustration of observational astrophysics. Right there, the system is four hundred and fifty six million light years away. Right at that distance, an orbital separation of two fifty to five hundred and forty au translates to an angular resolution requirement on the order of microorc seconds, which is too small way too small. Even the event horizon telescope, which famously imaged black holes in twenty nineteen. In twenty twenty two, it operates in the tens of micro arc.
Speaker 2: Seconds, so it's just a hard physical wall.
Speaker 3: The physical Railey criterion prevents us from ever optically or radiometrically resolving the two distinct event horizons right before impact.
Speaker 2: So the actual physical merger will remain visually unresolved. A single point of intense radio and X ray emission is all our telescopes are ever going to capture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that inability to see them as two separate objects is precisely why Murk five oh one is fundamentally shifting our observational paradigm. We are moving toward continuous gravitational wave.
Speaker 2: Astronomy invisible ripples. We essentially have to trade our eyes for our ears.
Speaker 3: That's exactly what we have.
Speaker 2: To do, because we won't be able to see the splash of the collision, but we will absolutely feel the ripples hitting the shore.
Speaker 3: Right, we have to move past the electromagnetic spectrum entirely. Now. Ligo and Virgo have revolutionized astrophysics by detecting high frequency gravitational waves from stellar mass black holes.
Speaker 2: But a supermassive binary on one hundred and twenty one day orbit operates at a vastly different frequency right.
Speaker 3: A completely different scale. The wave frequency is basically twice the orbital frequency. So for a one hundred and twenty one day orbit, we're dealing with gravitational waves in the Nanohurtz regime.
Speaker 2: Meaning the physical wavelengths of these gravity ripples span light years.
Speaker 3: Yes, ground based interferometers like Lego are entirely blind to these frequencies. To detect nanohertz gravitational waves, you need a detector baseline on a galactic scale.
Speaker 2: Which sounds like science fiction, but we actually have one pulsar timing arrays.
Speaker 3: The European Pulsar Timing Array NANOGrav and the Park's array explain.
Speaker 2: How a pulsar timing array actually works as a detector. How do scientists use the steady ticking of dead stars to feel gravity warping.
Speaker 3: It's brilliant, really. The methodology relies on millisecond pulsars. These are ultra dense neutron stars that have been spun up by a creating material from a companion.
Speaker 2: Star, so they spin incredibly fast.
Speaker 3: Rotational periods on the order of milliseconds, and because they have this immense moment of inertia, their rotation is incredibly stable. They function as highly precise celestial clocks, and.
Speaker 2: We can model their radio pulses down to the nanosecond exactly.
Speaker 3: We account for incredibly complex variables, including the interstellar medium and the proper motion of the pulsars themselves. We know exactly when a pulse should hit our telescopes on Earth.
Speaker 2: So what happens when a nanohurtz gravitational wave rolls through.
Speaker 3: It repropagates through the local space time between Earth and that monitored millisecond pulsar. It physically perturbs the space time metric. It alters the geodesic path the radiopulse has to travel.
Speaker 2: It stretches and squeezes the space itself.
Speaker 3: Yes, the wave induces a quadrupolar distortion in space time. As the space between Earth and the pulsar is stretched, the radiopulse takes a slightly longer proper time to arrive, so.
Speaker 2: It arrives slightly late, a positive timing residual.
Speaker 3: Right, and as the space is compressed the pulse path shortens, it creates a negative timing residual it arrives early.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow. So by monitoring dozens of these millisecond pulsars distributed all across the sky, astronomers look for a very specific pattern in these early and late arrivals.
Speaker 3: The hellings Down spatial correlation. It's a specific geometric signature in those timing residuals that can only be produced by a passing gravitational wave.
Speaker 2: And in twenty twenty three, these array collaborations actually found evidence of a gravitational wave background, right yeah, like a universal hum caused by supermassive binaries everywhere.
Speaker 3: They did, But up until now they've only been focused on that stochastic background, that general hum. Mech five oh one changes that focus.
Speaker 2: Entirely because MIKE five oh one is the perfect candidate to link specific waves to a specific.
Speaker 3: Binary exactly because the orbital parameters are now known, we know the one hundred and twenty one day period, and we have one hundred year countdown. We know exactly what frequency to look for and how that frequency is going to evolve.
Speaker 2: Because as the orbit shrinks, the velocity increases and the frequency of the emitted gravitational waves shifts upward.
Speaker 3: Right, the chirp. Mass of the system dictates the rate of this frequency evolution, and over the next few decades, milliar five oh one will move dynamically right through the sensitivity band of our pulsar timing arrays.
Speaker 2: So, as co author Hector Olivari is noted, we might soon see the frequency of these timing residuals steadily rise. We are getting a front row seat to the merger.
Speaker 3: It provides a real time, continuous track of the final inspiral. The gravitational wave data will let us measure the mass ratio, the spin alignments, and the orbital eccentricity with a precision that optical telescopes could just never achieve. At four hundred and fifty six million light years.
Speaker 2: It really is a masterclass in modern astrophysics, just the entire progression of this discovery.
Speaker 3: It really is.
Speaker 2: I mean, you start with the theoretical imperative, the idea that supermassive black holes must grow through hierarchical merging to overcome the final parsec problem.
Speaker 3: Right, the math said it had to be happening.
Speaker 2: Which leads to the grueling twenty three year VLBI campaign just staring at the radio frequencies until they ice late the kinematic signature of a precessing secondary jet in marcirion five to OHO one.
Speaker 3: And then the precession of that system yields the June twenty twenty two Einstein Ring, that lucky moment of perfect gravitational lensing that locked in the orbital parameters.
Speaker 2: Revealing one hundred and twenty one day orbit, a separation measured in mere hundreds of astronomical units, and a one hundred year countdown to an impact that will generate a massive spike in nanohurtz gravitational waves.
Speaker 3: It's all connected the tracking of those raves via the shifting paths of millisecond pulsars. It represents the absolute cutting edge of multi messenger astronomy.
Speaker 2: From identifying a system through the relativistic beaming of its plasma jets to calculating its ultimate demise through the measurement of space time strain. It's an incredible evolution of our capabilities.
Speaker 3: It really shows how astronomical progress relies on shifting our perspective. When looking at light is no longer enough, human ingenuity figures out how to measure the ripples of gravity itself.
Speaker 2: I want to leave you the listener with one fire kind of haunting realization. To mull Over, We've talked a lot about the one hundred year countdown, but think about what the vast distance to Marcaryan fible one actually means in the context of this timeline. Right, the speed of light exactly the radio frequencies that the max Plank team analyzed the photons that were warped into the Einstein Ring in twenty twenty two, They have been traveling across the intergalactic medium for four hundred and fifty six million years.
Speaker 3: Because electromagnetic radiation and gravitational waves both propagate at the same fundamental speed limit, the speed of causality in a vacuum.
Speaker 2: So this one hundred year countdown to the merger, it is based entirely on the state of the system four hundred and fifty six million years ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a snapshot from the deep past.
Speaker 2: Meeting the inspiral, the final coalescence, the massive ring down of the newly formed hypermassive black hole. All of those violent events actually occurred during the Ordovision period.
Speaker 3: Here on Earth, hundreds of millions of years before the first dinosaurs even appeared.
Speaker 2: The cataclysm has already happened. The colossal gravitational shockwave from their final impact has been expanding outward through the universe ever since. It has already silently torn through the dark void, washed over countless star systems and unknown worlds in the intervening space.
Speaker 3: We aren't predicting the future at all.
Speaker 2: No, we are simply waiting for the violent geometry of that ancient collision to finally wash over our arrays. Until next time, keep looking up.