Speaker 1: Welcome to Bedtime Astronomy. Explore the wonders of the cosmos with our soothing Bedtime Astronomy podcast. Each episode offers a gentle journey through the stars, planets, and beyond, perfect for unwinding after a long day. Let's travel through the mysteries of the universe as you drift off into a peaceful slumber under the night sky.
Speaker 2: When you picture an asteroid, I can almost guarantee what's playing in your head right now. It's that iconic, totally chaotic chase scene from the Empire Strikes Back.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, the Millennium Falcon, just darting through that densely packed field of tumbling space rock.
Speaker 2: Exactly just bouncing off each other, creating this impossible three dimensional maze. And I mean it's a thrilling visual for you as a viewer, but it is a complete.
Speaker 3: Just massive violation of arble mechanics. It's really a masterclass in terrible.
Speaker 2: Astrophysics, right because the reality of the main asteroid belt is well, it's profoundly lonelier than that.
Speaker 3: Vastly lonelier. The objects out there are separated by these just incomprehensible distances. I mean, if you were actually standing on an asteroid in the main belt, you would likely need a telescope just to see the next closest one.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's a vast, mostly empty expanse. It is definitely not a cosmic pinball machine.
Speaker 2: And I think that emptiness sets us up for an even bigger misconception, you know, because we just assume that every single one of these sparsely distributed objects is well just a dusty.
Speaker 3: Gray rock, right, the standard floating rock assumption.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but today we're totally dismantling that Hollywood myth because out there in the dark, there is an object that completely defies that assumption. It isn't rock at all. We're talking about asteroid sixteen Psyche.
Speaker 3: Psyche is amazing.
Speaker 2: It's roughly the size of Massachusetts, right.
Speaker 3: Roughly, Yeah, the Massachusetts size, kind of lumpy potato shaped body that is comprised almost entirely of metal.
Speaker 2: Which is just wild to think about, just a giant metal potato.
Speaker 3: And space iron and nickel to be specific. And the working hypothesis in the planetary science community right now is that sixteenth Hyche isn't just some random clump of heavy metals that happened to stick together, Right, it's actually the exposed frozen core of a lost protoplanet, a world was violently stopped from forming during the very earliest days of the Solar System.
Speaker 2: So we are looking at a dead planet's heart basically.
Speaker 3: Essentially, Yes, And by looking at this massive impact basin on Psyche's north pole and running these incredibly complex computational simulations of how that specific crater formed, we can start to sort of reverse engineer the exact mechanics of the demolition derby that gave rise to the planets we have today.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's untack this, because if we think of the early Solar System as this chaotic construction site I'm trying to picture, is Psyche essentially leftover rebar?
Speaker 3: I like that leftover rebar is actually a highly accurate way to conceptualize the kinematics of the early Solar System.
Speaker 2: Because, I mean, we know that in a fully formed planet, the dense metals sink to the center to form a core, right, and then the lighter silicates float up to form the mantle in the crust.
Speaker 3: Exactly, that's differentiation.
Speaker 2: So for a planet's core to end up just floating completely naked in the vacuum of space. It had to have been entirely stripped of all those outer rocky layer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, totally stripped, because back then we didn't have these neat orderly planetary orbits the ease. Today we had a swirling accretion.
Speaker 2: Disk, just a mess of material.
Speaker 3: A total mess. Gravity pulled gas and dust into small clumps which collided to form planet tesimals. And as these planet casimals accreted mass, the kinetic energy of constant impacts combined with the decay of short lived radioactive isotopes like aluminum twenty six, it generated immense paternal heat.
Speaker 2: Right, and that heat is what triggers the differentiation you mentioned exactly.
Speaker 3: You get this global magma ocean phase. The iron and nickel physically separate from the silicates and sink down into the gravity well of the body.
Speaker 2: They just dropped to the center.
Speaker 3: Yes, the silicate metal partitioning. And the thing is Psyche was on that exact trajectory. It had differentiated. It had an iron core and a thick rocky mantle and a crust.
Speaker 2: It was on its way to being a real planet.
Speaker 3: It was, but the environment was defined by just catastrophic violence. The prevailing model suggests Psyche was subjected to a series of what we call hid and run collisions.
Speaker 2: Hit and run, like they didn't just smash together and merge.
Speaker 3: Not always, No, we're talking about other massive planetesimals, you know, perhaps hundreds of kilometers across, slamming into it at velocities of five to twenty kilometers per second.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, five to twenty kilometers a second.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And at those velocities, the kinetic energy transferred during the impact is well, it's staggering. It wouldn't just leave a crater, it would actually overcome the gravitational binding energy of the mantle itself.
Speaker 2: So it's hitting it so hard that the rock just it can't hold on anymore.
Speaker 3: The sheer physics of it are brutal. The shock waves from a collision of that magnitude, they travel through the body, compressing the material, and then they reflect back as rare faction waves.
Speaker 2: Where are faction waves?
Speaker 3: Yeah, tensile waves that literally tear the rock apart from the inside out. And if the impact angles oblique enough, like a grazing blow rather than a dead on center mass.
Speaker 2: Strike, it just takes the top right off exactly.
Speaker 3: The kinetic energy shears the outer rocky layers completely off the protoplanet, it accelerates that silicate debris well beyond escape velocity.
Speaker 2: Wow, so the rock just flies off into space forever.
Speaker 3: Right, But it leaves the much denser, highly cohesive iron core intact. And if you do this a few times, just strip away layer after layer, the crust and mantle are gone. You're left with this unyielding metallic core totally stripped of its protective layers.
Speaker 2: So looking at Psyche out there and the main belt is really like looking at a ghost. It's the skeletal remains of a world that could have been a neighbored Earth or Mars or Venus world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but from a purely scientific standpoint, this planetary casualty is just a massive, massive opportunity.
Speaker 2: For us because it solves that fundamental limitation we have when we try to study the deep interior of our own planet.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's the ultimate irony of our discipline, honestly. I mean, we have rovers analyzing the isotopic composition of.
Speaker 2: Martian regolith right millions of miles away.
Speaker 3: Millions of miles away, but we are embarrassingly ignorant about the deep interior of the very sphere we are standing on.
Speaker 2: I mean, if you're wondering why we don't just drill down to find out what's the center of the earth, the math is incredibly.
Speaker 3: Humbling, extremely humbling. The distance from the surface to the center of the Earth is roughly six three hundred kilometers.
Speaker 2: Which is almost four thousand miles straight down.
Speaker 3: Straight down. Now compare that to the deepest artificial whole humanity has ever created, the Cola super deep borehole in Russia.
Speaker 2: Right, how deep did they get?
Speaker 3: They reached twelve point two six kilometers before the project had to be abandoned.
Speaker 2: Twelve point two six kilometers, So out of sixy three hundred we've gone.
Speaker 3: Twelve yep, which is roughly zer point two percent of the way down.
Speaker 2: I always think of the apple analogy. We live on the absolute thinnest part of the skin of the apple, and we've barely even managed to scratch that skin, let alone get anywhere near the seeds in the center.
Speaker 3: It's a perfect analogy. We haven't even pierced the crust entirely, let alone reached the mantle of the core. And the limitation isn't just a lack of engineering willpower. It's the geothermal gradient and the extreme pressure.
Speaker 2: Because it just gets hotter and heavier the deeper you go.
Speaker 3: Right, It's a matter of fundamental thermodynamics and material science. As you descend, the pressure increases to millions of atmospheres, and the temperature at the core mantle boundary, it's hot enough to melt literally any drill bit we could conceivably manufacture.
Speaker 2: It just turns to liquid instantly yea.
Speaker 3: And the rock down there it ceases to behave like a brittle solid. Altogether, it acts like a highly viscous, flowing plastic. We are functionally permanently locked out.
Speaker 2: So if we can't physically go down there, how do we know what's in our core at all?
Speaker 3: We have to rely on indirect measurements, specifically seismic tomography. We watch how pways and s ways from earthquakes propagate and how they refract and reflect through the Earth's internal layers like.
Speaker 2: An ultrasound for the planet.
Speaker 3: Exactly like an ultrasound. Yeah, but seismic data is essentially a blurry sonogram. We can see density changes like the Leman discontinuity.
Speaker 2: Which is the boundary that separates the liquid outer core from the solid inner core.
Speaker 3: Right spot on. We can see that boundary exists, but we can't sample the material. We can't put it in a mass spectrometer. We are just guessing based on how sound waves bend, which.
Speaker 2: Makes sixteen Psyche the ultimate proxy. I mean, if we can't go down into our own planet to see a core, we have to look up because the universe has conveniently cracked a planet open and left its core just sitting in the freezer space for us to look at.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's the only place in the entire Solar System where we can directly observe the engine room of a planet. And that is exactly why NASA launched the Psyche spacecraft in late twenty twenty.
Speaker 2: Three, just a mission dedicated entirely to flying alongside this asteroid to take direct measurements right.
Speaker 3: To finally get some ground truth data on what a planetary core actually looks like up close.
Speaker 2: But the wait time on orbital mechanics is just brutal. I mean, the probe won't arrive until August of twenty twenty nine.
Speaker 3: It takes a long time to get out there.
Speaker 2: So in the meantime, with the spacecraft still years away, planetary scientists aren't just twiddling their thumbs waiting for photos to download.
Speaker 3: Oh, definitely not. We already have some ground based telescope data, radar imaging, and light curve inversion.
Speaker 2: Models, and that gives us a fuzzy, low resolution shape model of the asteroid.
Speaker 3: Very fuzzy, but we can see it's that lumpy potato shape, and we can make out a massive impact basin near its north polar region.
Speaker 2: But trying to figure out the internal structure based on a blurry silhouette millions of miles away, that requires some intense computational forensics, right.
Speaker 3: Exactly, And this is where they reach and break through research led by Namia by All at the University of Arizona really comes into play. If we can't physically sample the asteroid yet, we have to use advanced hydrocodes to simulate the specific impact that created that North Pole crater.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, what exactly is a hydrocode.
Speaker 3: Hydrocode is a highly specialized computational tool. It's used to model the behavior of continuous media under extreme conditions.
Speaker 2: Like a hypervelocity asteroid impact.
Speaker 3: Right, Because things don't behave normally when they hit each other at ten kilometers a second, solid rock and metals start acting almost like fluids, and you can't just model a generic sphere colliding with a flat surface. The geometry of the target dictates how the shockwave propagates.
Speaker 2: Because hitting a curved ridge line on a potato shaped asteroid is going to yield a completely different crater geometry than hitting a flat plane.
Speaker 3: Precisely so, Byell's team had to painstakingly program in Psyche's lumpy, irregular shape into the simulation.
Speaker 2: Wow, And they also had to test different internal structures, right, since we don't know the exact composition beneath the surface.
Speaker 3: Yes, they ran simulations with two very different internal models. First a homogeneous model, which assumes Psyche is just a solid, uniform block of iron nickel alloy all the way from the surface to the center.
Speaker 2: Like a giant cannon ball.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: And then they also ran a layered model, testing the hypothesis that maybe the core still retains a thin outer shell of different material.
Speaker 2: Like maybe some heavily shocked silicates or volcanic rock that somehow survived those ancient hit and run collisions.
Speaker 3: Exactly when they run these simulations, literally firing virtual projectiles at virtual metal potatoes in a supercomputer. They are analyzing the resulting creter morphology, and specifically, they are looking at a metric known as the depth diameter ratio.
Speaker 2: The depth diameter ratio eye. So, just to visualize this, if I drop a heavy steel ball bearing into a bowl of loose flour, the flower yields really easily, right, and I get a deep, relatively narrow crater. Yes, But if I drop that same ball bearing into a dense block of wet clay, the clay resists the kinetic energy differently, resulting in a wider or much shallower crater.
Speaker 3: That's a great way to think about it. The physical properties of the target material, its density, it's yield strength, it's equation of state. Those dictate the final geometry of the crater, how deep it is compared to how wide it is.
Speaker 2: It's like a cosmic fingerprint.
Speaker 3: It really is. By altering the internal structure in the hydrocode and measuring the resulting depth diameter ratio of the virtual crater, Bisel's team is reverse engineering a multi billion year old impact. They are hunting for the simulated interior that produces a crater that perfectly matches the dim blurry depression we can currently observe from Earth.
Speaker 2: That is so clever. But in running these models, here's where it gets really interesting. They isolated a hidden variable that completely upends how we assume a solid metal asteroid should behave.
Speaker 3: Yes, porosity.
Speaker 2: They found that porosity is actually the driving factor in crater formation on Psyche.
Speaker 3: Macro porosity specif the amount of empty space, deep voids and internal fracturing inside the asteroid.
Speaker 2: But wait, if Psyche is a metallic core that formed under immense pressure at the center of a proto planet, its initial state would be incredibly dense, right, like virtually zero porosity.
Speaker 3: It would have been pristine.
Speaker 2: Yes, So why would a giant chunk of iron and nickel floating in space be porous? I mean, a solid block of steel doesn't avoids in it, It's solid.
Speaker 3: The initial core was undoubtedly dense, But you have to remember the apocalyptic violence of Psyche's history. When you slam massive planet tesimols into it at ten kilometers per second, the kinetic energy doesn't just vaporize the crust and.
Speaker 2: Stop there, right, The energy has to go somewhere.
Speaker 3: The shockwaves travel deep into the metallic core. Now, the metal is incredibly strong, obviously, but it isn't invincible. These impacts can actually exceed what's called the hugoniot elastic limit of the iron alloy.
Speaker 2: The hugonia elastic limit, meaning it hits it so hard it permanently deforms or breaks the metal.
Speaker 3: Brutally fractures it. It creates massive internal fault lines. The metal is shattered into a tightly packed rubble pile, essentially held together only by its own weak gravity.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it's less like a pristine bowling ball of steel and more like, I don't know, a heavily fractured medieval shield that's just taken way too many hits.
Speaker 3: That's yeah, exactly. It holds its macro shape. It looks solid from the outside, but internally there are vast networks of cracks and gaps. It's a metallic sponge.
Speaker 2: A metallic sponge. Wow. And that internal empty space completely changes how the material absorbs the kinetic energy of a new impact.
Speaker 3: It changes the energy partitioning entirely, because think about it, If you strike a solid block of dense steel, the energy of the blow is transmitted almost perfectly through the material as an elastic wave. It just rings through it, right, and much of that energy goes into excavating the crater throwing material outwork.
Speaker 2: Okay, But if the target is highly porous, like our metallic sponge, then.
Speaker 3: The energy does what we call pdvwork pressure volume work. The shockwave energy is literally consumed by physically crushing the voids and compressing the material inward on itself.
Speaker 2: So the empty space collapses.
Speaker 3: It collapses, and that.
Speaker 2: Compression that generates intense localized heat.
Speaker 3: Massive heat. So instead of just blasting material away and excavating a deep hole, a highly porous Psyche would crush inward, absorbing the blow locally, which fundamentally alters that depth diamber ratio of the crater. We see.
Speaker 2: It's like hitting a crumple zone in a car, exactly.
Speaker 3: Like a crumple zone. And this leads to a fascinating paradox regarding the fate of the impactor itself. You know, the alien rock that actually crashed into Psyche's north pole to make the crater.
Speaker 2: Right, what happens to the bullet?
Speaker 3: Well, the hydrocode simulations revealed something totally counterintuitive. A stronger, more solid, low porosity interior actually preserves large amounts of the impactor really, yes, while a weaker, highly porous interior results in the impact or vaporizing or shattering into microscopic fragments.
Speaker 2: But if the target is highly porous and crushes inward, wouldn't that like trap the heat of the impact. It sounds like the impactor would just be cooked inside the crater rather than bouncing off.
Speaker 3: That is exactly the thermodynamic mechanism at play. The crushing action acts as an energy trap. The extreme heat and pressure are localized right at the point of contact, enveloping the impactor in the zone of extreme violence, so.
Speaker 2: It just melts.
Speaker 3: The temperature spikes so rapidly that the impact is subjected to shock melting or outright vaporization. But if the target is solid, dense metal, it cannot easily crush inward.
Speaker 2: Right there are no voids to collapse, so the energy propagates outward in a massive shock wave, violently excavating the crater.
Speaker 3: The impactor is heavily fragmented, sure, but larger chunks of it can actually survive the initial contact and become embedded in the solid metal floor of the crater because that localized thermal trap never formed.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: So when the Psyche spacecraft finally arrives in twenty twenty nine. Its instrument payload is going to be hunting for those exact fragments.
Speaker 3: Yes, the probe is carrying a gamma ray and neutron spectrometer, the GRNs.
Speaker 2: Right, And the GRNs is a vital piece of this puzzle because it detects the energy signatures of cosmic rays interacting with the asteroid surface.
Speaker 3: Correct Different elements emit different spectraa of gamma rays and neutrons when struck by cosmic rays.
Speaker 2: So by mapping those elemental signatures, the probe will be able to see if there are high concentrations of exogenous silicates basically alien rock, sitting in the bottom of that North Pole crater exactly.
Speaker 3: And if the spectrometer detects large chunks of rocky material embedded in the metal, it tells.
Speaker 2: Us that Psyche's interior is dense and solid.
Speaker 3: Yes, But if it finds very little rocky material, it tells us Psyche is a heavily fractured porous sponge that vaporized its attacker.
Speaker 2: It's literally planetary forensics via orbital spectrometry.
Speaker 3: It's beautiful science, and the hypotheses generated by Bazal's three D models are essential here because they calibrate the instruments on the spacecraft. We aren't flying blind and we get there in twenty twenty nine. The hydrocods tell us exactly what elemental signatures and creater morphology is to look for to answer these questions.
Speaker 2: I mean, just studying the microscopic thermal dynamics of a crater on a dead metal potato is an incredible display of physics on its own, it really is. But you know, as we zoom out, the implications of understanding psyche stretch far, far beyond just the main asteroid belt.
Speaker 3: Oh definitely.
Speaker 2: So what does this all mean for us? Because this data actually scales up to one of the most significant questions in modern astrophysics, right, the search for habitable exoplanets.
Speaker 3: It does, and to understand that connection we have to look at planetary geodynamos.
Speaker 2: Geodynamos the engines inside a planet.
Speaker 3: Right, Planetary cores are not static lumps of metal deep inside the Earth. The iron core is partitioned into a solid inner core and a liquid outer core.
Speaker 2: And the immense heat radiating from that inner core, combined with the Coriolis force from the Earth spinning creates these massive twisting convection currents in the liquid metal.
Speaker 3: Yes, magneto hydrodynamics, because the liquid metal is a conductor, that turbulent churning motion generates a massive electromagnetic field that extends far out into space around our planet.
Speaker 2: And that magnetic field is the absolute prerequisite for habitability on the surface, isn't it.
Speaker 3: It is the shield Space is an intensely irradiated environment. Stellar winds these streams of highly energetic charged particles flowing from a star. They will relentlessly strip away a planet's atmosphere if it isn't deflected.
Speaker 2: And without an atmosphere, you can't have liquid water, you can't have life exactly.
Speaker 3: We see that exact scenario in our own solar system. Mars lost as planetary dynamo.
Speaker 2: Its core just cooled down.
Speaker 3: The core cooled, the convection stopped, and the magnetic shield completely collapsed. And once that shield was gone, the solar wind just eroded the Martian atmosphere over billions of years, turning it into the irradiated desert we see today.
Speaker 2: That is terrifying. So if we want to find an exoplanet capable of supporting complex life, particularly in the habitable zones of highly active en dwarf stars, which are notorious for violent stellar flares.
Speaker 3: We need to find planets with the right internal engines. They must possess a metallic core capable of generating and sustaining a strong geodynamo over billions of years.
Speaker 2: But right now, our theoretical models for how these metallic cores form, how their thermal evolution works, and how they partition light elements like sulfur or oxygen into the iron alloy.
Speaker 3: Are calibrated entirely on that point two percent of indirect data we have from.
Speaker 2: Earth, which is basically nothing.
Speaker 3: We're guessing we are extrapolating massively from very limited data, But Psyche provides the missing ground truth data. By directly studying an exposed core, measuring its porosity, mapping its elemental composition, and looking for remnant magnetic fields that might literally be frozen into its crust.
Speaker 2: We can physically verify our equations of state for core materials exactly.
Speaker 3: The data returned in twenty twenty nine will be fed directly into the computational models that astronomers use to analyze exoplanetary masses and densities.
Speaker 2: So if we spot a super Earth fifty light years.
Speaker 3: Away, the findings from Psyche will dictate our confidence in whether that distant world has the internal thermal dynamics required to generate a magnetic shield. We are literally analyzing the anatomy of a dead world to refine our search parameters for living ones.
Speaker 2: Which fundamentally changes how we view this asteroid. I mean, we've gone from dismissing it as just another piece of space debris in an empty belt to recognizing it as a critical calibration tool for the entire field of planetary science. It is a keystone object, from the complex hydrocode simulations of hypervelocity impacts to the totally counterintuitive thermodynamics of metallic porosity, to the macro level search for habitable exoplanets. Psyche is the physical bridge connecting the chaotic birth of our Solar system to our understanding of the broader galaxy.
Speaker 3: It is a remarkable convergence of disciplines. But I want to leave you with a consideration that highlights it's the inherent risk and the thrill of this type of exploration. Throughout all of our modeling, the hydrocodes, the assumptions about depth's diameter ratios. We are operating on a fundamental bias.
Speaker 2: A bias how so, we.
Speaker 3: Are assuming that Psyche's composition somewhat mirrors what we expect to find deep within the Earth. We assume it is primarily an ironickel alloy behaving according to the phase diagrams we have constructed in our terrestrial laboratories.
Speaker 2: Oh, I see, we're assuming Earth rules.
Speaker 3: Apply out there exactly. But what if we are projecting our Earthly expectations onto an alien body? What if the spacecraft arrives in August twenty twenty nine, powers up its spectrometers and discovers that this naked core is composed of exotic alloys, strange isotopic ratios, or materials that behave under shock pressures in ways that are entirely unaccounted for in our current physics. Wow, what if the building blocks of the early Solar System were far stranger than the planets we ended up with.
Speaker 2: That is the ultimate promise of deep space exploration. Isn't it the possibilit that the universe is about to hand us data that shatters our existing models, forcing us to just rewrite the textbooks on planetary formation from scratch.
Speaker 3: It happens more often than you think.
Speaker 2: The wait until twenty twenty nine is going to be absolutely agonizing, but the potential payoff is a fundamental shift in how we understand the ground beneath our feet and the exoplanets across the galaxy. Thank you for exploring the mechanics of this lost world with us. The next time you look out at the night sky, look past the empty space and picture the invisible, frozen histories and the poorest metallic hearts silently carrying the secrets to our past in our future. Until next time, keep looking.
Speaker 4: Up the
Speaker 2: US Satis