Speaker 1: Broadcasting from Studio A here at Proven Winters Color Choice Shrubs. It's time for the Gardening Simplified Show with Stacy Hervella, me, Rick Weist, and our engineer and producer Adrianna Robinson Well. The date was July twenty, nineteen sixty nine. To be more specific, ten p fifty six pm Eastern daylight time. On July twenty, nineteen sixty nine, I was a ten year old boy sitting in my parents' living room watching a black and white TV that had only three channels and rabbit ear and tennas with aluminum foil on them. As a matter of fact, the reception was so bad the family would have to change seats now and then or raise a leg or an armed to improve the reception. But we were watching history, and it's from that day forward that I was hooked. When Neil Armstrong stepped off the limb with a small step for man and a giant leap for mankind, I was moonstruck. And it's not just a phase that I'm going through. As a matter of fact, you'll find me many evenings in my landscape or out on the beach acting just like Jim Lovell or Tom Hanks in the Apollo thirteen movie where you take your thumb and hold it up to the moon and you can cover the moon and realize the distance to the Moon and just how absolutely fantastic it is. I was hooked. So today we're going to talk about moon gardening or moon landscaping and Stacy. This is an addiction that I've had since I was a little boy. I was an Apollo Space Age boy. Kids that grew up in the nineteen sixties were just like the Space Race. You had to have a goal, you had to have a plan. Many times you make it up as you go, and you know, ever had enough time to complete it. Those were the three characteristics of Apollo Space Age kids and for me when I was a boy back then, on Halloween, most of the kids would dress up like astronauts. They wanted to be Neil and Buzz and Michael. I would dress up like Walter Cronkite. I wanted to be Walter Cronkite. He would always end his newscast with that's the way it is, and that's the way it was with me.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm not gonna lie. I thought you were gonna say, I dressed up as the Moon it was like really leading up to saying that you were your Halloween costume was the moon itself. Oh no, I feel a little disappointed.
Speaker 1: No, Walter Cronkite, Yeah, the iconic, the iconic newsman. But you know, you have to consider that everything was about the Moon when I was a kid. Sure, and I mean even baseball. When when you look at the phrase moonshot, it was not a phrase that was coined for the Apollo moon Shot program, but rather for baseball. The Los Angeles Dodgers, they moved from Brooklyn. They ended up playing in the Los Angeles Coliseum, which is designed for football, so they had a short left field. They put up a big screen, and there was a player by the name of Wally Moon. He learned how to hit the baseball high in the air and get a home run that way. And the well Vin Scully. Vin Scully coined that phrase moonshot because of Wally Moon.
Speaker 2: Oh so it wasn't like it went so far it could reach the moon, Chris Wally Moon. Well, regardless, I think there is so much evidence that our fascination with the Moon goes back so much further. One of the first films of all time was of course Tripped to the Moon by the Lumiera Brothers, which you can see on archive dot Org. Are lots of plays online if you're interested in old cinema. But it's pretty fascinat to think that when that technology came out, one of the first things they wanted to do was create this scenario where they went to the moon. And because this is the gardening simplified show. And I know you want to talk about your glass collection and everything else, but you know, moon gardens or the idea of viewing the garden or viewing the moon from a garden goes way way back to ancient China and ancient Japan. And this concept of being outside and enjoying the moon and communing with the moon and appreciating the moon, it's an ancient kind of topic. Now I have to confess for myself, I'm not a night owl. No, I'm an early bird, and that makes enjoying the moon hard. I can appreciate that it's out there, but a lot of times I'm like, this moon is really interfering with my sleep.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to offer you some tank a little bit and maybe that will change your mind. But yes, we're talking about moon landscaping, not gardening by the moon, the phases of the moon. And when I start my moon garden, I'm gonna call it tranquility base. But you're right. They evoke a deep sense of mystery and calm and wonder, and we use silvery tones and white flowers kind of gives us an escape from life. In essence, we're moonlighting. For people who work during the day, a moon garden or a moon landscape can be quite a beautiful place to get them away from the daily busy life. And then we start to put plants in a moon garden, like moonflowers, jasmine gardenias, diamond frost, euphorbia. I love panicle hydranges in a moon garden. They almost look like command modules of the Apollo missions. And believe it or not, one of my favorite moon plants evening plants is oregano. Oh yeah, is that Greek oregano. I just let it go to flower and hundreds of tiny little star like white blooms on my oregano in night. They're fantastic. So your moonlighting moon gardens are for people who work during the day. By the way, I did drink lots of tang when I was a kid, and interestingly enough, Stacy, so I have these glasses for our YouTube viewers. Some people may recall them. In the sixties, if you'd go to a marathon gas station you filled up on gas, you'd get one of these souvenir glasses. And I've collected them. And then you know, as kids in the nineteen sixties, we didn't have water bottles. We drank from the garden hose, bacteria and all, and we drank lots of tang. And a few years ago on my live radio show, we had a call in because we were drinking tang on the air, and it just brought back all kinds of memories for people. It gave me a terrible stomach. I could handle it as a kid, but as an adult, I can't drink it anymore. And we came to find that not only can you still buy tang, but people today use it to clean their dishwashers, run it through a full cycle, even to clean the toilet, So tang is still around.
Speaker 2: Well, in your defense, Rick, I am going to wager that the recipe for tang has changed considerably since either you or I were children, So I don't know if it's just getting older. But I do want to clarify so well, first of all, I think we're going to need to clarify for some of our younger listeners, why Tang in the Moon is a thing. Yeah, a lot of people would have no idea.
Speaker 1: No, it was buzz Aldron, you know, buzz Aldrin was the second man on the Moon. But it just was a thing for Apollo astronauts. They just jumped on it. They drank Tang. And because the astronauts drank Tang, we as kids had to drink Tang because the other alternative was again drinking from the garden.
Speaker 2: Well well, even when I was a kid in the late seventies and eighties, commercials for Tang still to about it being what astronaut's drink. And the other thing I want to clarify for everybody is these glasses that you've collected, These are not ones that you've bought off of eBay or Craigslist or anything like that. These are the ones that you collected during while they were actually active.
Speaker 1: Yes, in the nineteen sixties, Marathon gas stations stop in filled.
Speaker 2: The tank and it's interesting that they don't actually have any connection to Marathon on them. Because nowadays, no company would ever miss that market opportunity to be like, hey, don't forget you got this at the Marathon gas station.
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, Well, moon gardening or moon landscaping, and we'll talk about it today. Going to give you a lot of ideas for that. Also in segment Foreign, of course, Stacey in plants on trial coming up. A website that I recommend you go to is timeandate dot com. It's that simple timeandate dot com. I have it bookmarked on my computer. It gives you the moonrise, the moonset, the phase calendar, and you can customize it to your location. So I am using that all the time. This is not about gardening by the moon, which is kind of a farmer's almanac thing. As a matter of fact, it was started years and years ago by Ben Franklin who helped out colonial gardeners. You know, you have the waxing and the waning of the moon, and some feeling that at certain points, just as you have with the tides, the moon has the ability to gravitationally pull moisture in the soil to the surface, causing seeds to germinate better. There's all of this kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah here, I thought it was just you know, me planting too late or too early. But maybe I've been missing out on the moon phases all along. But no, what we're talking about is the idea of creating an atmosphere in your gardener landscape that makes the moon even more romantic. Right, That kind of brings out the best in the plants, that brings out the best in the moon. That is just kind of that ideal romantic summer night where the moon is out, the skies are clear, the flowers are in bloom, the fragrance is in the air, and you just have that memory for life.
Speaker 1: And let's talk about that today. I'm looking forward to this, can you tell him? Kind of crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. I've shot so many pictures of the moon too. I've got thousands and thousands of them. Let me give you a shoot for the moon. Limb a rick at night on the moon, I will gaze and bask in its magical rays. As Sinatra would sing in a tune fly Me to the Moon. I'm just going through a phase. My good friend Frank the Crooner, sings that song. When I go luner, I listen to the song. He sang as I sip on a glass of tang. Call me an aging Apollo, age boomer. In the evening, I search the skies for the moon's position and rise my nightly habit. I can't eat clips. Those around me have come to grips, shoot for the moon, and don't Apollo see what I did? Then?
Speaker 2: It definitely saw what you did there.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Plants on Trial is next. We'll see what Stacy has in mind. Stay tuned to the Gardening Simplified Show.
Speaker 2: Beautify your home and community with proven Winter's Color Choice Shrubs. With over three hundred and twenty five unique varieties to choose from. There's a flowering shrub or evergreen for every taste and every space. Just look for the distinctive white container your local garden center or learn more at proven Winner's Color Choice dot com. Greeting's Gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show, where we were talking all about enjoying the moon in the garden. And of course if you're going to enjoy the moon, it's going to be at night. And you know, I was thinking as I was preparing for this show, for an awful lot of us, especially our friends in hotter climates in the summer, nighttime is really the only time you can enjoy the garden. You kind of can't help but have a moon garden where you can, you know, really see the garden at it's best, because in so many areas, especially this season, it's just too darn hot any other time, you know, and.
Speaker 1: It's just so enjoyable at night. Have everybody put on a white shirt, come over, serve white wine.
Speaker 2: Oh it's just yeah, white wine, teg mimosas, Yes, just for that. It depends, I guess, on the age of your guests.
Speaker 1: I might live on.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so for so many people you're out enjoying the garden anyway, So why not choose plants that are going to look their best at night when the sun goes down, there's usually a cool breeze going, and you know, not only is the garden transformed, but the world is transformed and you can see things in a much different light, so to speak. Now, I know a lot of you are sitting there thinking, enjoy the garden at night? On what planet? Lady? I have so many mosquitoes that is not even remotely, not even remotely a possibility. That's well, and for you, I want to just remind you of something that we have talked about on the show before, and that is the mosquito bucket of doom. It is not too late to create a mosquito bucket of doom if the mosquitoes are particularly bad in your area. And basically what this is is you take a regular old bucket or something like that similar vessel, and you put some organic matter. It can be grass clippings, it can be weeds, it can be fallen leaves, it can be a combination of all the above. You want to put a couple handsful of those in a bucket, fill the bucket halfway to three quarters of the way full of water. Let that ferment and get real gross for a couple of days. And then you are going to add a mosquito dunk, which is a little round pellet type thing. You only need about half for a bucket, and that has a naturally occurring bacteria that prevents the mosquito larvae from developing. So once you put that in there, the mosquitoes are like, hey, this is our perfect breeding ground. Definitely laying my eggs here. But they do that, and then the mosquito dunk prevents the larvae from germinating or from you know, going all the way to fruition. So this is you don't have to change the water. You can actually let this nasty water continue to ferment all season and just keep it in that back, shady, long grass corner of the garden where the mosquitoes are going anyway, and this will severely reduce the number of mosquitos that you have as well as if you get your neighbors involved a really great way. So we kind of band together and non toxic, no spraying, low maintenance way to enjoy your garden at night a little bit more. We're lucky we don't really have bad mosquitos out here because it's so dry, so you know, there's a trade off. We have to water a lot, but on the other hand, we also don't have a ton of mosquitos, which I truly appreciate. But anyway, let's get to the flowers, because we are talking about shrubs, flowering shrubs that are perfect for enjoying on summer nights, whether the moon is full, whether the moon is new, or anywhere in between. These are flowering shrubs with mostly white flowers. Because white flowers as is well known, kind of have this effect in the garden at night where they really shine out and they really have a dramatic look, whereas other colors might not really be so visible, they might not really pop up against you know, all of the foliage and everything else going in the garden. White flowers are kind of that classic choice. And this is really just a nice way to kind of narrow down your choices. You know, we hear from so many people they struggle to choose plants for a given area, or you know, wondering where to start with a new garden, and just simply choosing all white flowers, it's a really easy way, always going to look lovely, and then you can also just say, hey, I'm meant to do that. It's a moon garden and that's pretty great. So starting off with the oh soo aptly named gats By moon oak leaf hydrange I mean, where else could I start? So gats By moon oak leaf hydrangea is a mophead oak leaf hydrangea, and these are relatively few and far between. Most oak leaf hydrangeas are lace caps, which is great for pollinators. But if you prefer that big, full look of a mopheaed hydrangea, you usually have fairly few choices. Gatsby Moon is that rare exception, and they are really big, kind of pillowy blooms and they bloom for a long time. So Gatsby Moon for us here in Michigan is gonna bloom probably mostly late June through late July. Then you know, as the weather starts to get hotter and drier, they will kind of brown out, but you're still gonna get a good month of those big, bright white blooms to enjoy. And this is a native hydrangea that is just absolutely beautiful, has excellent fall color. So you as always we're looking for plants that don't just do one thing. You know, we want those beautiful white flowers in summer, but we would prefer it if they could do a little bit more. And as I often say, oak leaf hydrangeas are really the only true four season hydrangea that has something to offer in every single season. So really a choice that you can't go wrong with. The lace capt varieties that we offer like Gatsby Gala, Gatsby Pink, and gats Be Globe are all great choices as well, but Gatsby Moon, I mean, how could I resist. So up next we have rows of sharon or hibiscus, And you know, I feel like this one is so appropriate because the flowers on both rows of Sharon and tropical hibiscus are like a full moon in and of themselves.
Speaker 1: It's perfect. I have a pillar, white, nice rows of sharon, you know, reaching for the sky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fantastic. It's a moonshot.
Speaker 1: It's a moonshot.
Speaker 2: So there's several that you can choose from.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: If you are looking for white, big white flowers on your patio, or you live in a hot climate USDA Zone ten or warmer, you can try Hollywood Hibiscus earth angel. It is an unusual tropical hibiscus with pure white flowers. Usually they are really brightly colored, but this one has big, pure white flowers. And the thing that sets Hollywood hibiscus apart from other tropical hibiscus is that the flowers open completely and they face upward, so on those beautiful nights are really actually looking at those flowers. Not they're underside, but they're really shining up at you like the moon itself. Now, of course, Rosa Sharon hardy Hibiscus hardy down to USDA Zone five heat tilet through USDA Zone nine. Lots of wonderful choices. If you want the absolute biggest, purest, white, crispest, nicest flowers, you gotta choose Para blue pure white. Can't go wrong with that one. It really is exceptionally large and just a beautifully elegant plant. I am so in love with the Para blue roses of Sharon in general. But it's not the only one. We have white Chiffon, which kind of is a double with a powder puff in the center. And if you're like, hey, I really like white, but I kind of can't resist having a little bit of color, I've got one for you. That is Starblast Chiffon. Awesome Starblast, Yeah, another appropriate name. And this one is pure white, but it also has these sort of beautiful striations of bright red pink coming out of the center for just a little bit of extra color without losing that beautiful of the white flowers. So spoiled for choice there now Steady as she Goes Guardina, Oh wow. Most gardinias are more of a spring blooming plant. In the south, Steady as She Goes is a reblooming guardina. So if you are in a warm climate, this plant will continue to bloom all summer long. And of course with guardinas in addition to that amazing white flower and plenty of them, you get that fragrance.
Speaker 1: You're getting to an important point here. If we're talking about moon landscaping, fragrance can be an important part of.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, because it's very powerful. I mean it's powerful during the day, but at night, when you smell the plants on the air, there's just nothing like that. Now, speaking of fragrance, I wanted to move to some fragrant roses that are in the proven Winter's Color Choice line because they're wonderful. Flavorette paired is an edible rose with a slight pear flavor, and the flowers are white. The outside of the petal is pink, so it again kind of gives you a little bit of a best of both worlds. The flowers are taste and good to eat, so they was useful in the kitchen as they are in the garden, and really really fragrant, very fluoriferous, gonna flower all summer for you without having to prune or deadhead or anything like that. Similarly, we have reminiscent crema, which we call crama because it also has some yellow in it, so it's not as pure white as some of the other plants that we've talked about, but it has all that old fashioned appeal. Tons of petals, beautiful fragrance, and just a romantic white rose. Now, let's say you want a white rose for these beautiful moonlit nights, but you don't want to do any work, you don't want to fuss with anything. You just want the lowest maintenance, most floriferous rose that you barely have to lift a finger for. We've got one for you, oh so easy ice bay perfect. Now, this is a newer rose for us because it is surprisingly difficult to develop disease resistance in white roses. So that is why it took us so long. I mean, we have had the O So easy rose series out on the market for decades really, and only was just able to find a white one that was florid ferous enough and disease resistant enough for the program in the last five or so years. So it's a really special plant. Again, another no brainer. And I have one last one for you.
Speaker 1: And as you wrap it up here, I'm gonna I'm gonna leave here a minute. I'm gonna go see Adriana. I'm gonna slide to you. Oh my gosh, you get Apollo thirteen with some tang. Okay, that's for during the break, Okay, Okay, I'll go bring Apollo fourteen.
Speaker 2: To Okay, so we will for our YouTube viewers, we will broadcast our tang tasting. But I'm gonna wrap up plants on trial first. Well, you take that over there, because this plant is a good one. Steady Eddy viburnum. Now, this is a reblooming double file viburnum that continues to flower all summer. Blooms in late spring along with other viburnums, but it will continue to put out fresh flowers all summer long in ours here at our trial garden. I was just out there last week, absolutely covered in flowers. It's probably its fourth wave of blooms this year. And the great thing about this one for those moon gardens, it is the perfect hedge. In fact, we grow it as a hedge in our trial gardens, and there's not that many other hedges. I mean, there's panicle hydrangeas that are going to give you tons and tons of white flowers all season long. So it's a really great choice. That blooms all season without having to dead head it. It is hardy down to USDA Zone five, heat tolerant through USDA Zone eight and four to five feet tall and wide. So lots and lots of choices to include Proven Winter's Color Choice Shrubs in your moon garden or any landscape that you might spend time in the evening or night. We're gonna take a little break. If you're watching on YouTube, you can join us for the tang tasting. Otherwise we will be back with mailbag at Proven Winner's Color Choice Shrubs. We know that a better landscape starts with a better shrub. Our team of experts tests and evaluates all of our flowering shrubs and evergreens for eight to ten years to ensure they outperform what's already on the market. For easycare, reliable, beautiful shrubs to accentuate your home and express your personal style, look for Proven Winners Shrubs in the distinctive white container at your local garden center or learn more at Proven Winner's Color Choice dot com. Greeting's gardening friends, and welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Chobe, where it is our pleasure to help you with your garden questions, quandaries and conundrums and of course celebrations. So if you have one of those, please do reach out to us. You just go to Gardening Simplified on air dot com. There's a contact form right there. You can also leave a comment on YouTube. We read all of those in Adriana does respond to those questions and if we don't get back to you, because we can't get back to everybody. Not every question is proper for the radio, not in an inappropriate way, but more in a like, wow, this is really way too long. By the time we finished reading the question itself, will have forgotten what we were supposed to answer, and some questions are just like that. But we'll still help you out at proven Winners dot com, so don't hesitate to reach out to us there as well. Just hit the feedback comments were listening button somewhere down at the bottom of that website. Now we had a message. So last week we were talking about txture mm hm oh, and I.
Speaker 1: Love the comments on texture that we got from our listeners and our viewers and Stacey. It caused me to think I forgot to mention a plant in texture oh that I absolutely cannot stand and again it goes back to my garden center days from handling so many of them through the years asparagus, fern or spring arrived, yeah, and it would just make my arms break out in a rash, and we sold tons of them. I just maybe there's people out there who love aspa. It's not even a fern.
Speaker 2: No, it's not a fern, right, And it's not an asparagus. I mean it's asparagus related, right, but it's not asparagus. I would rather just have the aspara argus plant because despite the fact that I don't particularly care for asparagus is a vegetable, I think it is an absolutely gorgeous plant.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And there's something about that plant, even though we're not talking about texture anymore. It has this really fine foliage and after a rain or in the morning, when the dew is on it, it's just like it's covered in diamonds. It just holds these little tiny beads of water. It's so so lovely. But Kristin wrote us. She says, going on the theme of texture, what do you think about this idea for a walkway am Sony on the back, then Lamb's ears and then rock and round seed them toward the front. I'm a newer gardener and I'm trying my hand at design. It's very hard, and I just wanted to say to Kristin, I think that sounds like a lovely combination.
Speaker 1: I think so too.
Speaker 2: And I would also say to Kristin and any other person out there who is thinking about designing combinations or designing a garden, there are no wrong answers. And I have found over the years that the best thing that you can do to be successful as a garden designer or as a combination designer is just to do it. You know. Again, we talked about this a bit that so many garden designers make it look so easy, like, oh, they have this natural talent for putting plants together. And that is absolutely a language that you will acquire as you get to know more plants and put more things together. But you know, sometimes I look at my garden and I think, you know what, put more? The answer is always more, get.
Speaker 1: Out there and make some mistakes and great job, Kristin. All three plants also like full.
Speaker 2: Sung Yeah, so that's important.
Speaker 1: They can handle that. And Lambsier, you know, some people don't like Lambsier I love lambs here, and it's a great example of a plant that you could use in a moon landscape or moon garden.
Speaker 2: It's a great choice. It's beautiful in the evening, it is really beautiful. So Kristin, I think that sounds like a great combination. Don't forget you can always go to the garden center, design on your cart, put things there, move them around, try them out. And I can tell you, having worked for a number of designers who are very well paid for their jobs, they very often just buy a bunch of plants and get to the jobs site, get to the job site and just start putting them together. They don't have any kind of secret to their success other than just getting the right plants, which of course is half the battle. But the right plants often is just what you like.
Speaker 1: You know. That's interesting, And I mentioned that in the first segment. That's the Apollo approach right now.
Speaker 2: That's true, have a.
Speaker 1: Plan, make it up as you go, not enough time to get the job done.
Speaker 2: Be like the astronauts. Yes, we have a question from Pamela.
Speaker 1: All right, Pamela writes, why are there moths all over my new butterfly bush?
Speaker 2: Yes, so I can understand why people might feel a little bit panicked to see moths instead of butterflies on their butterfly bush. I am a moth fan. I am a big moth fan, despite the fact that I am a knitter. I don't like to see them in my house, but as far as in the garden, the more moths the better. I think. Moths are lovely, beautiful, misunderstood creatures. They are simply a butterfly without a pr campaign. They're very closely related. They're very closely related moths and butterflies. In fact, they're considered to be in the same scientific order. So it really makes sense that anything that would attract moths would attract butterflies. So it's not surprising. It doesn't mean there's something wrong. It doesn't mean that your butterflysh isn't going to also attract butterflies. But I wanted to also address Pamela's question of quantity of moths on this plant, because there were a lot of them, and that was kind of what concerned her. One of the other things that a lot of people don't realize is that butterflies tend to lay their eggs singly, just one egg at a time. And mosts tend to lay them in clusters, and so usually what will then happen is you'll have a whole lot of moths hatching out at once, or a whole lot of caterpillars. So both the moth and the butterfly larva are called caterpillars, So you'll tend to have a lot higher numbers of moth larva all at once on a plant. And that means, since they're all in kind of the same schedule, they're gonna be caterpillars at the same time, they're going to be cocoons at the same time, and then they're going to be adult moths all at the same time.
Speaker 1: That's an interesting perspective.
Speaker 2: You're going to generally have that like, oh my gosh, I'm being invaded by moths. There are hundreds of moths compared to oh, there's a lovely butterfly, so not a cause for concern. The other thing I do want to say, moths often tend to be more active at night, So if you are gardening for the evening a moon garden, white flowers do very often attract moths. Sure, so you'll just have to embrace them. I know a lot of people are freaked out, But do a little reading, get to know the beautiful diversity of moths out there, and hopefully you will come around to becoming a mod lover as I am.
Speaker 1: I love that fantastic Vish writes, My rows of Sharon flowers aren't opening, They're just dropping to the ground as buds. What's happening?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'll bet you got this a lot at the garden center all the time. So it is true that both tropical hibiscus and rows of sharon, if they get very stressed extreme heat, drought, stressed, too much water, they will just drop their flower buds, not all at once, you know, not like a gardenia that's just like I can't take this anymore, and they all go. But it will drop some of those cause it's just like, hey, I got to conserve my resources. I can't open every single one of these flowers. But I would also say, especially in the case of rows of Sharon, nine times out of ten, people are confusing the seed heads falling off of the plant with the flower buds because they look very similar. Yes, and so a lot of people think that when they see those seed heads all over the ground that it was a bud that didn't open, and we hear from gardeners every single year who have this confusion. If that's happened, pick up a couple of those from the ground, take your pruners, cut them open. If it looks like okra, inside, you got a seed pod and you missed the flower. Most roses of Sharon, their flowers only last to day, and so they're usually open at night. So I kind of debated if they should go into the moon garden because as the evening progresses, their flowers will start to close, but you'll have you know, a good couple of hours in there. And I also figured because roses of Sharon are so long blooming, that you can easily get through two cycles of the moon because they boom so long. So you can't resist that. I mean, since we're talking about gardening for the moon, So do check whether the what's on the ground is actually a seedhead or a flower. But if it if you cut it open and it shows like a bunch of fold and rolled petals, then yeah, you are just having them drop. And unfortunately there is not really much that you can do. It's not necessary that you are doing something wrong. Of course, do you check the water if you have something like a downspout or a sprinkler system that might be delivering too much water. They do want well drained soil and can't really tolerate super soggy conditions. But nine times out of ten it's more likely to be a combination of heat and drought stress. So you're going to want to check what's going on in the soil, make sure the plant's getting enough water. And if it's the heat, well, you're just going to have to power through and have faith that the Rosa Sharon has enough other buds to open for you later and not to.
Speaker 1: Be labor this, Stacey. But if the plant has lots and lots of buds and it's under stress, as you mentioned, personally, I've never met a rows of Sharon that doesn't like a good pruning, cheers or a pruning and maybe the plant for next year, some pruning maybe in order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, they do tend to benefit from pruning, not least of all because there wood can get very weak, and you know, very often at this time of year you'll see those stems bending and you'll think, like, what is that crazy plant in someone's yard And it's just a rather neglected rows of sharon. The other thing about Rosa Sharon is they are some of the more nutrient heavy users compared to other plants, and you know, most of the time I'm like, yeah, don't worry about fertilizing Rosa sharen, especially if you live in an area with alkaline soil. They are going to strictly need some regular fertilizing otherwise the foliage will be kind of washed out. That means they're not making as much energy as they could and they may not be able to support creating flower buds in the first place, or maintaining any flower buds that they have. So it is in cold climates right now too late to start fertilizing, But mark your calendar for next year early, like mid March, late March thereabouts. Start putting down that fertilizer. You can put it down monthly from late March through late July if you wish, or just do it on one or two times after the spring in that time period. But your Rosa sharin will thank you and it will show us appreciation and flowers can't go wrong with that. We're going to take a little bit of a break and when we come back We're going to continue talking about the moon, the Apollo missions, and maybe a plant or two. Say tuned. Thanks for listening to the Gardening Simplified Podcast, brought to you by Proven Winners Color Choice Shrubs. Our award winning flowering shrubs and evergreens are trialed and tested by experts with your success in mind. Learn more at Proven Winners color Choice dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Gardening Simplified Show. As we talk about moon landscaping. By the way, before I forget, I want to mention trees are so important in a landscape when you enjoy moon gardening, because the moon shining through the trees and the branches at pretty much any time of the year, and the movement it creates, Oh boy, it's mystifying. And there are people out there who will put garden lighting in twenty twenty five feet up in the tree, casting its light downward, nice warm light to try to mimic moonlight. There are people out there who are going to say, don't do that. That's not responsible for the insects and everything else. And I understand that, but there are people out there that do tremendous artificial moon lighting within a landscape. Fragrant plants so super important. Some plants like moonflowers, star jasmine, they're going to produce flowers that release their scent as dusk falls to attract nocturnal pollinators, Angels, trumpet, Brogmancia, and as I mentioned, the moonflow. It's amazing how fast moonflower grows, but so easy to grow.
Speaker 2: Have you ever had a really good performing moonflower though, like with lots of flowers, I never have. I would love to, but it's just the ra happen for me.
Speaker 1: I think the key is putting it under stress. Oh, I really do. I think putting it under stress causes the plant to force some blooms. So if it's in your landscape and it's too happy and it's been being watered too well, you're going to get copious amounts of foliage. You're not going to get the blooms.
Speaker 2: Oh that's good to know. I do want to say you were talking about nocturnal pollinators, and we talked about moths in the last segment. If you are in Michigan or another cool climate like this, bats are not a nocturnal pollinator. All of our bats in cold climates are insectivorous exclusively. They don't come to hummingbird feeders, they don't come to flowers. They are only out there eating the bugs. So don't worry. You're not going to attract bats or sorry, if you wanted to attract bats, you're not going to get bats at your hummingbird feeders or flowers or anything like that in a cold climate. That's only in warmer climates where you have for bats.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good point. How about moongates or moon trellises to grow plants over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said you wanted one of these. Did you ever get one?
Speaker 1: No, I'm planning. It's one of the next things I'm going to do in my landscape. And you know that goes way back in Chinese culture.
Speaker 2: Also, Yeah, there's you know, when we were talking about the gardens around America, the Lansu Chinese garden in Portland has some beautiful moon gates incorporated into that garden.
Speaker 1: Beautiful. Keep adding those plants that will reflect the moonlight. Chantilly lace, aruncus, luminary backlight flocks, the silvery foliage of lavender or Russian sage can make them ideal plants also to add to your moon garden. Oh, I wanted to mention real quickly personally for me again, you can tell I'm interested in the moon. In two thousand and nine, I worked with the police department here in the state of Michigan in a city by the name of Wyoming, with Officer Adam Bartron. What happened was we received Stuart russa I believe that's the glass that Adriana's drinking from Apollo fourteen. He was a US Forest Service smoke jumper, also an astronaut. He was the command module pilot on Apollo fourteen. He brought a whole bunch of tree seeds up into space with him. When he returned, those seeds were distributed and planted throughout the United States. President Gerald Ford gave us a sycamore tree here in the city of Wyoming. It's in western Michigan, and inadvertently a landscaper cut it down, and so Officer Patron and myself in the City of Wyoming Police Department got together and we're able to get another one and plant it in the city of Wyoming where it grows today. We had a dedication service back in August of two thousand and nine. We had members of Congress NASA that came out to enjoy the moon tree. So that was a fun experience.
Speaker 2: That is pretty cool. So if someone local wants to see it, they can just go to the Wyoming. Is there like a plaque or something so they there.
Speaker 1: No, Yes, there's a plaque. We'll show you a picture on YouTube. It's a stone plaque and you'll be able to identify the moon tree growing right there on the grounds of the City of Wyoming Police Department. All right, Yeah, let's talk about a few of those favorites for a moon garden, Stacy. I was thinking powerball, panicle hydrangea or any type of panicle hydrange or for that matter, a smooth hydrange like incredible would be absolutely brilliant and perfect in a moon garden.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, they would all be perfect. I didn't bring them up in Plants on Trial because there was just too many and I knew it would take up the whole Plants on Trial and I wanted to get through all the rest of them. But yeah, panicle hydrangers, you can't go wrong because not only do they have beautiful, crisp white blooms, they bloom for such a long time, so you're really getting that nice long season of white flowers at least going through two moon cycles to enjoy in the garden.
Speaker 1: Now, I'd also suggest if you want to get into moon landscaping, maybe start with annuals. You take an annual like mini Vista, white Supertunias or Superbina, white out Superbina, any of those types of plants are going to very quickly. Oh a favorite of mine, diamond frost, Euphorbia. And in the evening hours, absolutely beautiful Niagara Falls switch grass. So you might not think ornamental grasses, but of course, true to my nature, I'm going to bring up ornamental grasses at some point and switch grass or panicum Niagara Falls when it goes into its inflorescence, beautiful in.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, kind of like that glowingy blue color.
Speaker 1: Yes, honeysuckle so sensational. Honeysuckle is a great plant in a moon garden. And Stacy, I think Kinsley's ghost would be too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, it's got that again, sort of like the Niagara Falls Panicum ghostly glowing blue color. It's really really cool, like the moon itself exactly.
Speaker 1: Any of the daisies color coded. The price is white cone flower. You're echinaceous. What a great plant in a summer garden, and specifically the white ones perfect for a moon garden. Superbells, Lemon Slice Caliber CoA or over Easy Caliber CoA, Surefire white Pogonias, and then Stacy, I think a rock star in a moon garden would be a Pugster white butterfly bleach oh.
Speaker 2: I agree completely. You know, if people have grown a white butterfly bush before, they're like, ooh, they age so gross. And it's true that a lot of white butterfly bushes do not age gracefully. They get kind of there, they start out lovely, but then they go kind of dingy and then they just run and it's horrible. So we've been really working on finding a better white, a better white Pugster, and we do have that now. So Pugster White two point oh is coming out on the market. The original Pugster White was no slouch, but if you've been looking for that sort of ideal white butterfly bush, definitely keep an eye out for a Pugster white two point zero.
Speaker 1: Fiber optic grasses are great in a moon garden. Whirlwind white fan flower, the scavolas, the amazing daisies, Laguna cloud white lobilia. The list goes on and on. Sugar shack button bush, is that one you'd consider?
Speaker 2: It is one I would consider. It is a beautiful plant, very interesting, definitely to dry in my garden for it, but a really really cool plant, great fragrance and a great pollinator plant. And you know, looks like Sputnik, the sputnik, So that's another reason why people might like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very good plant that you have to have, in my opinion, in a moon garden would be hostas. And you'd say, well, why hostas? First of all, MANI hostas have beautiful white blooms that would be great in a moon garden. But I love hostas that have a really large swath of white complementing the green Hosta hans or hosta Night before Christmas and Emperor's New Clothes, hosta fire and ice stacy. I think hostas have to be in my moon gear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you don't have deer, you can have hostas in your moon garden.
Speaker 1: Sum horrific cookies and cream hibiscus. And here's one for you. I love the luscious series of lantanas. They do so well, they're deer resistant. And there's one called Vanilla Breeze Oh, fantastic. Mandavilla's with white blooms a great choice, Agapanthus you can get white lily of the Nile, Veronica, Salvia. The list goes on and on, and I think it's important to point out that we're not saying that you have to exclusively use silver and white flowers, because there has to be some green in there breaking it up. But swaths of white flowers are certainly going to stand up and green. You know, evergreens within a moon garden. The texture that they provide again, the shadows brilliant.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we shot for the moon today. I hope you enjoyed it. I could go on for hours about moons. As a matter of fact, one of my favorite books, Stacey American Moonshot by Douglas Brinkley. I'd recommend getting this book. Wow. That is a great read too. So anyhow, just enjoy your moon landscape. Thank you Stacy, thank you Rick.
Speaker 2: And thank you on behalf of Adriana and I for the tang.
Speaker 1: You're welcome, You're welcome. It has been a culinary treat.
Speaker 2: Cheers, cheers.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for watching the Gardening Simplified show. Thanks for watching the YouTube version. Of the show the radio, listening to the radio version, and downloading the podcast. Thank you Adriana, Thank you Stacey. Have a great weekend.