Speaker 1: Welcome to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio from Boise, Idaho. This is your host, Adam Graham. If you have a comment, send it to me Box thirteen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com slash Radio Detectives. Well, before we do get started, I do want to let you know this program is brought to you by the financial support of our listeners who are supporting the show in a variety of ways. Thank you to Daniel, Kurt and Susan who supported the show at support dot Great Detectives dot net. To Mike who's become a regular monthly supporter of the show at the rookie level on our Patreon campaign Patreon dot Great Detectives dot net. And to ron In Nancy who went ahead and sent in a donation to our peel box Adam Graham Peelbox one five nine one three, Boise, Idaho eight three seven one five. Now it's time for today's episode of the Adventures of Philip Marlow. The original aired eighth February twenty eighth, nineteen fifty and the title The Big Step.
Speaker 2: Get This and get it straight. Crime is a sucker's road. Those who travel had wind up in the gut of the prison of the grave, this time a friend with millions and my epic chemist and a long head piano player, but thrown in a panic because a brilliant young lady with a gun was taking a big step in the wrong direction. It happened like this.
Speaker 3: From the pan of Raymond transfer outstanding all through crime fiction comes his most famous character in the Adventures.
Speaker 2: Of Philip Marlowe.
Speaker 3: Now with Gerald Moore starred as Philip Marlowe. We bring you tonight's exciting story, The big Step.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mister Mallow, I always figure shoes just like faces.
Speaker 2: How's that, Champ?
Speaker 5: They make it old and they make it wrinkle, but they're still okay as long as they gotta.
Speaker 2: Shine on it keeps that writing condition, that champ. Yes, hey, let me just spank up this one again. Sure. Oh come in, miss Mona.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Oh excuse me, I didn't know you was busy.
Speaker 2: That's all right, okay, Champ, I guess that does it?
Speaker 7: Oh, thank you, mister Mallow.
Speaker 2: I see tomorrow right. Well, one of my shoes have a new lis on life. Won't you sit down, Miss.
Speaker 6: Missus, Betty can't. I'm a waitress at the Shelton Cafe. I need your help, mister Mallow. There's something you could do for me. You free to take a case.
Speaker 2: I'm free depending on the case. What is it.
Speaker 6: Well, today this friend of mine, Shirley Battella, comes into the restaurant, wife work.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: She takes her usual table, and while she's waiting for her order, she starts reading the paper.
Speaker 2: It's all quiet so far, Betty.
Speaker 8: Yeah, But just when.
Speaker 6: I'm bringing in the tomato juice, it happens she sees something in the paper that scares it scares are bad?
Speaker 2: Well was it, Betty?
Speaker 6: Then I don't know. She muttered something and then she runs out of the place. Her face was gray like ashes. Later I got to worry him. I called her at home, then at the lab where she works, even her husband's studio. No locke.
Speaker 2: I wait a minute, Betty, I don't quite get the connection you and Shirley Vitello.
Speaker 6: I mean, oh, I.
Speaker 8: Don't know where social we're only tell me at the restaurant. She's been eating there for years.
Speaker 2: That's the basis for friendship.
Speaker 6: Well, about six months ago, I was in bad trouble and Shirley came through with two hundred bucks when it seemed like more money than I'd ever seen. It kept me and my husband together. So you see she means a lot to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I see what you mean. Well, look, bet what was this about a lab?
Speaker 8: Well, Shirley's a technician.
Speaker 6: She works as an assistant to a chemist named Softman, Abraham Softman out on Melrowe someplaces.
Speaker 2: What about Hurley's husband?
Speaker 8: Do you know him Gilbert? Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, he comes in with her of a lot. He's a piano composer and a real nice guy.
Speaker 8: He lives for his work. He's unknown now, but he's a real genius. Churli says. She do anything to keep him and his music going.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, tell me this friend of yours saw something in a paper. He said, it's scared now, that's all you know?
Speaker 8: Uh yeah, and I want you to find out why and help her.
Speaker 6: He's fifty bucks, mister Mala, that's what you chay, it's more or less.
Speaker 2: Yeah. By the way, missus Kanada, where's your ring? Oh?
Speaker 8: I sometimes take it off when I'm working.
Speaker 2: You do?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Oh, perhaps when your hocket to raise fifty bucks. Look, Betty, I'm a careless guy. You you better hold the money. But mister manor hurry Betty. Remember where's the address.
Speaker 6: Well it's thirty one forty Veteran Avenue, and in case you wanted, Gilbert Studio is Benedict Canyon, five tens. Thanks mister Mala, you called me an empire of one seven A wait, seven huts.
Speaker 2: Betty Catna was gone. I got my car and drove out the Veteran Avenue. You know, she was a pathetic little creature and with a little effort she could have that touch and glow look, no whir. Thirty one forty was one of those small but neat houses that grow like mushrooms overnight on a post war California landscape, and it was locked, dark and quiet. I went around to the back and started on the windows. I turned one open. When I tried it, I climbed it and turned onto lights and made the grand tour. Then ended in the den. The only indication that anyone had been there all day was a current issue of the La Star, crumpled in the waste basket. I pulled it out and started through it. On page five, I found the hole where a two column story had been clipped out, and then somebody was at the front door. I started toward it to change my mind at the sound of the key in the lock. Instead moved back into the den and watched I hea that belonged on a gopher wearing a battet fedor and instinct glasses above a fur colored coat, peeked in, gave the place of my epic once over, and headed straight for the den. So I stepped out. What he could see me.
Speaker 9: I've never seen you before. What are you doing here?
Speaker 2: You tell me first, Pop, I'm bigger than you are. And doctor Abraham Softman Softman, Oh, the chemist Shirley Vittello works for? Is that why you? And the key?
Speaker 9: Yes, she leaves unfinished. She leaves work here for me to pick up. It's a convenience for both of us. But now you you can also explain.
Speaker 2: Maybe well, a friend, thanks to your assistance in trouble, I'm trying to find out the name is mallow Ah.
Speaker 9: I suspected now I am right. Sureley came to the laboratory late from lunch today and very much upset. She left again soon right in the middle of our most important crimson test, our crimson test without one word to me she left. Never does this happen before? And all the five years she has been my loyal right heat.
Speaker 2: Well, tell me what's the nature of your Researchuth one?
Speaker 9: And we are developing new commercial dyes of such a beautiful crimson we have now really surely knows as much as I do about.
Speaker 2: All of it.
Speaker 9: With the marlow Was it you who opened the desk door?
Speaker 2: There? No, as I didn't notice it till now. Two boxes of thirty two caliber ammunition, nine shells guns on the top.
Speaker 9: One she kept a gun there. I've seen it before. That's gone too. What kind of trouble needs a gun, mister Marlowe?
Speaker 2: Oh, I could think of a few, and they all say we better locate Shirley and soon. Now, look, Doc, I want to ask you.
Speaker 9: One moment, please, maybe you will know if this means anything. I found this under her work table after she left this afternoon. Is it maybe something.
Speaker 2: I don't know? Let me see And the reservation I've a love from Federal Airlines LA New York Departure eleven thirty five s and its made after Ruth Brinton. Ruth Who's that?
Speaker 9: Or I don't know how, but she must be something to surey. Perhaps this Ruse Burton is the Traubo.
Speaker 2: Early airline numbers. Here? Where's the phone? It's out there? Yeah, I got it. M that's in two six one off.
Speaker 8: Good evening.
Speaker 3: Federal Airlines Agent Frederick Stone speaking Frederick.
Speaker 2: Do you have a roof Britain listed on your eleven thirty five flights in New York? Oh?
Speaker 3: Just one moment now, so I'll check.
Speaker 2: Oh no, yes, yes we do. Yeah, well, I I've got a located Do you have an address or a phone number there? Oh?
Speaker 4: No, sir, I do not, And even if I did.
Speaker 2: A boy, Freddie, boy, this is important. I need that information. I describe it to me. What does she look like? Oh, dear, I'm afraid I can. I must have sold the ticket.
Speaker 5: I'm the only agent on duty, but I just can't seem to think we're right?
Speaker 2: Will you think I am? How do you expect me to remember seventy five or eighty faces every day? Listen, heaven? Don't you think I get confused? Yes?
Speaker 3: Come in here at all?
Speaker 2: Wanting tickets to the guy Fredericks A lock, doc, now, lock, do me a favor, stay right here and wait for Shirley if she comes back holder. I'm going to look up her husband, Gilbert. The first stop was a news tan I bought a last turned to page five and found that the missing story was on a man identified only as Dennik, who'd been hit by a taxi on Temple Street to the eight am. The only reason that rated two columns was that before he lapsed into unconsciousness, he told the ambulance group from the Citizen's emergency hospital. But he knew he was going to die and wanted to clear his conscience by confessing a crime he'd committed. It ended with police as standing by. I drove on into Benett Canyon, wondering what kind of a bridget was going to take to span the gap between a female chemist and a downtown traffic accident. I was still wondering when I got the number five. I have ten. All I could see if Gilbert Vitello's studio over the brush around it was something pseudo Spanish that had been stuck under a pizez of vertical real estate by an Optimist in the early twenties. The path had been opened from the driveway to the house. Since I walked to the door, piano music minside got louder, but not better even in the long haired circle. That stuff needed a haircut. Hey, Heytello backing up them and I we're there.
Speaker 4: What's the meaning of this outburst?
Speaker 2: I'm working and I won't be interrupted. Who are you? What do you want? Anyway? It is he mister is mollow. Betty Cant has sent me here because she's worried about your wife.
Speaker 9: The waitress worried about Cherlie.
Speaker 2: Why she's in some kind of trouble? Have you seen it night?
Speaker 4: No? No, no, not since this morning. But that's not unusual. I often work late. My music is very demanding. Now what gives that waitress the idea that Charlie's in trouble?
Speaker 2: Oh? Wife's reaction to a newspaper story? It's the WIT's out of her by a taxi hitting a man named Denneka?
Speaker 4: Anything to you, Denny Shirley worked for the fellow by that name once, I believe, But why would that sorry frighten her?
Speaker 2: And I was hoping you'd tell me. Do you have a gun?
Speaker 4: A little thirty two pistolits at home?
Speaker 2: Why it's gone?
Speaker 7: See here?
Speaker 9: What's this all about?
Speaker 2: Tell me?
Speaker 9: Tell me the truth and be quick.
Speaker 2: About Oh shut up, answer my question.
Speaker 5: Ry.
Speaker 2: My wife was shocked by that, Adam and Denneker. She isn't it home, she isn't at Seffman's lab, and has n't been all afternoon. And what's more, she's got a gun. All I know except for one thing. Who's Ruth Brittany.
Speaker 4: She's a friend of Shirley's from the She's been visiting relatives out here.
Speaker 2: Why nothing, Maybe Shirley's got a plane reservation for her, that's all, Miss Samlo.
Speaker 4: If that's all you have to offer, Why don't you get out of here so I can go to work. I'm quite certain if Shelley were actually in trouble, she'd come to me if I help, And incidental he tell Benny Kazad to take some vitamins or something.
Speaker 9: She's becoming a meddlesome busy buddy.
Speaker 2: You know, there was a quality about Gilbert Vittello that made me want to suck him on the temperament with the heavy end of his grand piano. And I started down the path to the driveway. I forgot about it because a pair of headlights slashed through the foliage like a giant sid rand away. I could see and watch the girl in a brown suit get out of a sleek New Hudson and start toward the house, and she saw me. She backed the way, then threw me one scared look and darted into a side path like a jittery coppontail. I followed as fast as I could, but it was home ground. A heard in twenty yards. I was outclassed. I lost her at the corner of a sagging shed and stopped to listen for a footsteps. I heard something else, but not in time. The duck.
Speaker 10: Oh oh, oh, moll is that mallow?
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 7: Mala?
Speaker 2: A cock up? Surely, she slugged me.
Speaker 4: I don't believe that you're lying.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm lying. What it's worth to you? Die hard? Your wife isn't kidding, she told me personally with a blunt instrument. Lay that knee, flat jack, Mister Marlow, did you get something? Lumps? How about you? Doctorsftman?
Speaker 9: No nothing come here? Come here? Yeah, no, no one has come here. You found out something?
Speaker 2: Have they hear of a guy named Deneka?
Speaker 9: Dok me here, Marris Dennik. Five times in the past three years, Marris Denneka in Chicago has beaten me by introducing a new die substance or a new process just days ahead of me. Five times this happened.
Speaker 2: He's a die chemist too, really good one.
Speaker 9: I admire you.
Speaker 2: Listen, this is beginning to fit like a rubber glove. Dennika is in a hospital right here in LA You may not live, and he wants to confess to a crime here. Look, I'll read it yourself. When Shirley saw that story, I throw her into a panic and now and only figures one way. Your assistant has been selling your new developments for Denneka before you release them. No, it is not true.
Speaker 9: Sureley would not do this thing, not to me.
Speaker 2: Okay, Doc, we'll see now. Look, why don't you go back to your lab and wait, I'm going to the hospital now and do some more fast editions. If it comes right. Just don't forget your scientist, will you? I would not forget? Now.
Speaker 9: You remember something, mister Marlowe, Two plus two does not always make four, especially when you are adding up human.
Speaker 2: Hearts in just a moment.
Speaker 3: The second act of Philip Marlowe, but first Wednesday's Wonderful on CBS with Doctor Christian Groucho, Marx Ming Crosby and Burns and Allen all coming your way over most of these same CBS stations This Wednesday. Brother Bob Crosby visits bing Gracie, Allen stumps the income tax experts, Groucho will be on hand with his ad libs and teams of opposition, and Doctor Christian makes a wily grandmother stick to the truth for once.
Speaker 2: So be listing this Wednesday, won't you Now?
Speaker 3: With our star Gerald Moore, we returned to the second act of Philip Marlowe and Tonight's story, The Big Step.
Speaker 2: It was twenty stop and go minutes through the snarled early evening traffic over to the Citizens Emergency Hospital. All the way, I kept hoping that Denica's confession wasn't gonna have anything to do with Shirley Vittello. But when I was there, standing next to Detective Lieutenant Matthews and filling him into date, wrecked that hope up under wishful thinking. Our asthenic had already come too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm a little about a half hour ago. He didn't say too much much, only something about this woman you mentioned is Shirley Vittello and the formula for some kind of a bleaching agent. Then he went out again. He look this this Fottello girl who currently adds up to something very just.
Speaker 2: What does she look like? Oh, blonde, about five four, maybe thirty, wearing a dark brown suit nor hat. That's right, she's been around ye.
Speaker 5: I spotted her here in the hall about forty five minutes ago. I claimed she was a reporter, but she didn't make any small talk with the other news hands. I got a little suspicious. Just then Deneka came too, So I went in there and I came back out. She was gone, hey, Malo, you know we can pick her up.
Speaker 2: No, I don't, Lieutenant doesn't look so good for her. She could be pretty desperate right now, like a quick trip to the country, or like words, she's got a gun, Matthews. And now with Denika's starting to talk, very little hope left. I better be going where, just going, just going, mat won't keep in touch. Wait a minute, Look, we have a big organization, miss the Mala. We're equipped to handle all kinds. We could do almost as good a job as you. Just keep that in mind. Where yeah, yeah, and I'm glad you said almost. It's a long I got back into my car and pointed it toward the Botello Place on vedroand Avenue again, because I didn't know where else I got possibly pick up Shirley's trail. I felt like an uncomfortable emptiness was in the pit of my stomach. You know, like the guy who stands in a street corner and watches an ambulance and turns scrape up a traffic victim. He knows he didn't have anything to do with it, but that knowledge doesn't make him feel any better. Shirley Battello is hit it for troubled, bad trouble, and the pathetic little kid that he can't who came into my office and started the whole thing could get hurt in the process. And I parked in front of the place, which, from inside a death lamp showed a circle of light the size and color of a lemon lifesaver, and the front door was open inches, as though somebody had left in a big hurry. I walked on ages as far as the door and nudged it, and I saw it on the table in the far corner of the room, a note propped up against the lamp and nothing else. I started toording, I'm behind you, no fine thirty two caliber out of the desk drawer, no doubt, no doubt.
Speaker 7: I don't know why you're mixing the something that's no business of yours.
Speaker 2: I'm a private detective working for your friend. Betty can't as she's worried about you, Shirley Mallow.
Speaker 7: What's done is done. Betty can't help me. You can't help me. Nobody can help me. I stole Softman's work and I sold it to Morrows Dennaker. I didn't count on a deathbed confession.
Speaker 2: Why'd you do it?
Speaker 7: I love my husband and he he needs money to go on with his work.
Speaker 2: Oh Gil puts in on this with you.
Speaker 7: Oh no, no, he isn't. He thought my wages were high. That's all. The note I left there on the table makes that clear.
Speaker 2: Also, also what said goodbye?
Speaker 7: I love him, Marlow. When I'm gone, you'll have enough money to carry on keep the studio that means so much to him, and nothing can be taken away from him. I've seen to that legal like, just what.
Speaker 2: Do you mean gone, Shirley? How far is gone?
Speaker 7: A long way?
Speaker 2: Marlow? All the way Sue is ha.
Speaker 7: Oh, let's not talk anymore, and don't bother about that phone. It's only Gilbert when I pulled up outside here. After I came to the mouth and he was home. I didn't want to speak to him, so I drove on until I came to a phone booth, and then I called here and told him to meet me at the Saffron Bar. It's no hangout of us.
Speaker 2: Wanted to leave a note for him, but didn't want to face him. Is that it?
Speaker 7: Yeah, he'll keep calling on and off for quite a while before he comes back here. I figured it would be better that way. I didn't want him chasing me. See air might give the big lug a cold. It always did.
Speaker 10: For mom.
Speaker 7: It looks like it's about time to put you away for safe keeping.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, Shirley. I think a phone is a.
Speaker 8: Next time mollow.
Speaker 7: It'll be more than a base. But justice, Fred No. The closet set a line and strong. It should hold you long enough. Get in, Go on?
Speaker 2: Okay, and it is, baby, But first, what the step you're about to take?
Speaker 7: You know all about it. It's a big step in the mallow, will save your breath. That wouldn't be any happier in prisoner running away, Believe me, not a bit.
Speaker 2: Happier it's so long, Mallow, nobody's home. Surely Vittello was mixed up about a lot of things in life, but that doesn't include closets, because the one she put me in was strong. The lining she called Sita must have been hand me down on my plate from a retired battle wagon. So all in all, I was forty five minutes, ultimately kicking and resting, while the insistent telephone marked the five minute intervals for me. But finally it was the wood around the lock that gave way. I was out. Hello, Hello, what is it all over? Tello? And save your questions? Do you hear what I have to say?
Speaker 3: Marlow?
Speaker 2: Where's my wife? She was supposed to meet me here at a tip front box said save it now listen, my wife's out to kill herself. No, no, yes, tell me did you two have a favorite spot out near the ocean. I don't care whether you see or not. Did you or didn't you?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, the Rodondo fishing right now. Keep listening to Tello and do as I say, come straight home. But do as I say, Betello back here and sit tight with fingers crossed. I worry about the pier. Goodbye. Second connection was broken. I picked up the phone again and dialed one one six, got through the police emergency operator, and from there to Matthews, who was still at the Citizens Hospital. I told him to pick me up in a squad con You're ready for a fast ten mile drive to the Redondo Fishing Pier. Surely Brittillo was going to kill herself. And I got outside and waited the fall longest minute of my life, until finally Matthews screeched up to a halt and I piled in. We took off siren wide open. I'll be less than a minute now. Mollo appears only a couple of blocks away. Good. Better have Mooney kill that siren, Lieutenant. We want to come in quiet money, okay, lieutenant, Well this is a power down on the pier.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Money, pull up here. What do we don't want to scare her into something, Matthews.
Speaker 2: That crowd there halfway out on the pier, so there is you better drive right up, Mooney.
Speaker 9: Looks like we're too late.
Speaker 2: To We were too late. At the center of a circle of the morbidly curious who always stand and gape, we found a lying face down and the greasy planks of the pier dead she shot herself through the heart and the gun and the same thirty two she'd used on me was lying next to her. Two bullets gone, I explained the easter shot the Matthews huh okay.
Speaker 5: One bullet fired up at her place and the other one here. Well, I hope you're satisfied, mollow.
Speaker 2: What do you mean satisfying?
Speaker 5: I mean single handed. You had to leave the cops out of it, didn't you. You want to go up to veteran af You all buy your lansome.
Speaker 2: Didn't you? You wait a minute, Matthews, I was only tiving nuts.
Speaker 5: Only where's an error phone across the streets, the Triple Egle cafe, the Troman here's already called.
Speaker 9: A a All right, tell him she can be moved.
Speaker 5: Come on, well, I want to turn in a first report on this.
Speaker 2: Only pick us up in the cafe, right little ten okay.
Speaker 5: Shirley Vittello was stealing formulas for those guys from her boss and selling him to this Morris Dennecker.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was Rosie until Denneka walked out in front of a taxi earlier this morning. I put him close to death and in the mood to talk. Also put Shirley Vittello on the spot. Hey, is that the place you want the phone from? Yeah? Yeah, but one thing more, Mollo. The girl's motive all the way through. She loved her husband. He loved his work her too, Yeah, after his work, so since he didn't make any dough, she still to keep him going and close to her. There's the phone. Fill Come on, William may need you to fill in the blanks for me. I said, I heard you, I heard you. The phone can wait, Lieutenant, come on over here. What I want to talk to that piano player? Player? What about it? Tricky Way has a playing Blue Skies? What? Hey? But that's all right? You gotta mean leftan there.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I opened a Connegie Hall next week. Don't miss man.
Speaker 2: I'll try not to. It's just terrific what you do with that tune.
Speaker 9: You know my own particular arrangement.
Speaker 2: Nobody else's huh oh nobody.
Speaker 9: I've been working on this arrangement for a week.
Speaker 2: That's all I wanted to know. Hey, Mallow, what are you getting at the phone? I've heard enough what you said? It was Matthews the left of the bar. But what time is it? Lieutenant?
Speaker 9: Five after twelve?
Speaker 2: Mallow won witch is switch Matthews. Switch, Yeah, one that'll not get bad. Job. You get a load of this.
Speaker 3: Listen, good evening, Federal agent Ed Stowe.
Speaker 2: Listen, Frederick, I'm the party who called before about the reservations for Ruth Britain on the eleven thirty five in New York. Oh, yes, I remember you. I'll probably never mind. It's police business, Freddy. The plain leants drew. Of course it did.
Speaker 3: But Miss Britain didn't make it, and she didn't bother the call and cancel her reservation.
Speaker 2: Thanks. I've heard enough so far, so good, Matthew. Which means what a saffron bar in Hollywood, which means what Charlie Rattello didn't commit suicide, Matthew, she was murdered.
Speaker 9: Okay, Phil, where's your man.
Speaker 2: Right there that table against the wall? Come on, Matthews.
Speaker 4: Hawaiian music sentiment of rock degrandation no pollination.
Speaker 2: I don't think it's as bad as all that. Gilbert, old boy, Mallow, you.
Speaker 4: Were cop, the most insensitive of all people.
Speaker 2: What would you know about music? Just for the record, he's not a cop. My question still stands, what do you know about music? As a matter of fact? Not much? But you know, I'm fascinated by what they're doing with instruments these days. Really, what are they doing that might fascinate you? Well, for example, take that picture where the score is done by only one instrument, a zither. What's more, it doesn't sound like a zip to a trained here, it's a You mean you can't make one instrument sound like another. Well, for example, a guitar like a piano.
Speaker 9: Don't be ridiculous.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, wait a minute, not so ridiculous. My only the night I heard a guitar that sounded just like a piano. Real tricky arrangement. It was due sounded joking. No, no, you must have heard it too. It was why we were talking on the telephone.
Speaker 3: Telephone, I talk to you?
Speaker 2: Sure you did? You remember you said you were calling from here the Saffron Bob. The conversation was being scored by the pianist at the Triple Ego Cafe at Rodondo Beach. A real tricky arrangement in more way than why I didn't need it.
Speaker 9: Alright, watched the rest of it.
Speaker 2: Phil He didn't want to quit his work and spend the rest of his life hiding in some forgotten corner of the globe, which was her plan. Yeah, as I figured it. Once Shirley knew she was finished, she decided they should both run for him. He was in on what she was doing all along, and the suicideal was part of a plan o lead puppy here and innocent with the money she got for Shenanigans and framerer own suicide. A trailer would lead us to the Redondo Pier, her hat and coat floating in the drink, and.
Speaker 5: After a couple of days of searching, we say the tide probably carried a body office so close case.
Speaker 2: That's right. In the meantime, she's phone in New Yorker's Ruth Brittain and is heading on from there, pubby here to join her at a later day.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Finally, Hubby double cross and shut us so he can sit tight with the money right here.
Speaker 2: That's it, Matthew, Oh, shut out, wipe and try Matthews and take him away. I didn't go along with Matthews. I didn't even bother about my car, which i'd left in front of the Botello place. I'd had enough for one n not the kind of person who hitches wag into a star. Only a twink. He saw on the horizon was the reflection of a dollar sign. Oh yeah, they were a pair, all right. The battellos Pero finally canceled each other up. You know what, I'm glad of it.
Speaker 3: The Adventures of Philip Marlowe bringing you Raymond Chandler's most famous Carol, star Gerald Moore, are produced and directed by Norman McDonald and are written for radio by Robert Mitchell and Gen Leffett. Featured in the cast were Gene Bates, Paul Dubob, Billy Janice.
Speaker 2: Edgar Berrier, and Peter Leed.
Speaker 3: The technical Lieutenant Matthews is played by Larry Dubkin. The special music is composed and conducted by Richard Urrant. Be sureten me with us again next week, when Philip Marlowe say.
Speaker 2: It's time I tangled with a mad scotchman, a phony English lord, and a beautiful blonde copse in a freight house, all because of a butler who walked on his knuckled.
Speaker 3: How about tying a metal spring around your finger today to remind yourself to file your nineteen forty nine income tax return as soon as possible. The fifteenth of March isn't several miles down the road the way it used to be. It's almost at your front door, and you'd certainly get us scare if you came home one evening to find it sitting right smack in your living room saying smugly, well, you forgot to file.
Speaker 2: Your income tax return? What now, little man?
Speaker 3: So why not set aside tonight his income tax night and file your nineteen forty nine return. This is Roy Rowan speaking. This is CBS, where Burns and Allen are heard every Wednesday night, the Columbia Broadcasting SUST. This is Andrew J.
Speaker 2: Graham, author of the web surface series Oh and a Man In's Wife. You're listening to the Great Detectives of Old Time Radio.
Speaker 1: Welcome back. Well, we once again hear a naming scheme for an episode similar to Dragnet. And I think that we heard that on The Saint and I think it's fair to say that this is not just a Dragnet thing, though it really became associated with them. This is an episode also features a kind of interesting reversal of a key trope of the hard boiled detective story. It's one of those points what will often happen is you will see a hard working man let us stray and into crime by the demand of a spoiled wife. That's the typical trope, and here they turned that sort of trope on its head, and it makes for a pretty interesting case. And this definitely does continue to be a strong series. I definitely appreciated Lieutenant Matthews getting on marlow for getting into the police's business. That's realistic, and I think I do prefer that over Lieutenant Ibarra's sort of nonchalance about the whole thing. All right, Well, onto listener comments and feedback. Francis rites in. This is an excellent show from a great series. Gerald Moore was such a good actor, and playing Marlowe was I think some of his best work. Indeed, it was and certainly his most memorable. He often did a good work in other series, but I didn't stand out necessarily, which I think is part of the nature of good character work. All right, Well, we also do have a letter from Ronn and Nancy who right, regarding their donation. This is a small token of appreciation for your broadcast. My husband has them on his iPhone and we listen to them as we drive. They make the trips between home and our boat or wherever we're going past quickly. Recently we listen as we cruised Alaska's inside passage from Vancouver to Juno Love Dragnette, Philip Marlowe and Johnny Dollar. Each year when Johnny gives a concussion instead of getting one, that's definitely a good moment. We enjoy all the hard work you do researching too. Has anyone counted the roles Virginia Greg did so versatile and believable? Thanks so much, Ron and Nancy. In answer to the Virginia a great question, no one has done a comprehensive survey to discover how many appearances she made. Some of that is complicated by poor record keeping of the time. There are so many shows for which the record is lost, and we don't really know who appeared in all of these programs. But from what we do know, it is a prodigious record of radio productivity. The radiogoldindex dot com, whose catalog is by no means complete, tracks fourteen hundred appearances by Virginia Greg from nineteen forty two and then even into some of the radio revival programs like the Sears Radio Theater. Again, that's not a comprehensive database. Dennis of the Digital deli FTEP estimates that he has three thousand programs featuring Virginia Greg and that certainly seems believable. But at any rate, thanks so much for the question. And yes, Virginia Greg really was so vital to the success of the Golden Age of radio into so many programs. When I did my list of Radio's most essential people, she was number five on the list. She mostly did character roles, but she did so many, and she did them so memorably. She was just incredibly vital. I don't think the Golden Age of radio would have been the same without her. All Right, well, that will do it for today. We'll be back tomorrow with an episode of Nick Carter, and then join us again next Wednesday for another adventure with Philip Marlow. In the meantime, sendra comments to Boxen at Great Detectives dot net, follow us on Twitter at Radio Detectives, and become one of our friends on Facebook, Facebook dot com, slash Radiodetectives