Speaker 1: Welcome to OUCH. Was that a Ghost? This podcast may contain graphic material which some listeners may find disturbing. Listener discretion is advised, is advice to me? Now that we covered that, here's your host list.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to OUCH. Was that a Ghost? I hope everyone got through the storm safely if you were a subject to the storms. And back again, we have Chris from Twisted Tails. Thank you for coming on gracing me with your presence, and Chris is going to be telling the story today. Given me a break, so I get.
Speaker 3: To just hope you're all kicking ass in life.
Speaker 2: Kick and ass taking names.
Speaker 3: That's right. Gotta do something. Mm hmm, that was your night? What are you up to?
Speaker 2: I just did a few recordings in a row, and I was actually very productive today because I've been snowed in, so I have like three bags of clothes for donation. I made meat loaf and I made all the sides with that. I've cleaned, organized a bunch of stuff. So I'm actually pretty proud of myself.
Speaker 3: I'm also proud of you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: It's all the crap that you never have time to do. But if you snowed in you're like, eh, I can't look at that. I gotta do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I get that.
Speaker 2: Organize my laundry room. I'll take a bow. Mm hmm, kitty litter freshly cleaned. Anything else? Hell yeah, how are you doing today?
Speaker 3: I'm doing all right. Worked, came home. Now I'm podcasting with a friend.
Speaker 2: Live in the dream.
Speaker 3: What else could you ask for somebody's dream?
Speaker 2: And you're in Canada. You could probably just order poutine if you want, which I've never gotten to try. You probably can just door dash out to your house. It will be hot.
Speaker 3: The oh, fries and gravy.
Speaker 2: I'm so jealous. I'm want to try that so bad.
Speaker 3: Just make it. Just get cheese curds, gravy, fries. You're good, or you like, make your own gravy or whatever. It's not hard.
Speaker 2: I don't even know where to get cheese curds.
Speaker 3: Look online or the grocery store.
Speaker 2: All right, I just skip the whole fight.
Speaker 3: Somebody if they don't.
Speaker 2: Have that too, kick an ass and taking cheese curds. I like it.
Speaker 3: Uh, it's good to fucking do podcasting with you again.
Speaker 2: Oh so, I'm sorry for interrupting your story. Now, what were you saying Charles Brandt.
Speaker 3: Charles Brandt, So this dude kind of went ape shit and murdered some people. Nobody could ever figure out the reason as to why he did that. It was looked at by specialists, doctors, all that, and yeah, it's just a crazy little case. So he was born Carl Eric Brandt on February twenty third, nineteen fifty seven, up in Connecticut, United States of America.
Speaker 2: Connecticut. That's where they get all the good casinos.
Speaker 3: In all Connecticut.
Speaker 2: Eh, yep.
Speaker 3: Have you been in the casinos up there? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was there, not last weekend, the weekend before.
Speaker 3: Would you play?
Speaker 2: I actually I don't really like gambling that much. Unless I'm playing like a Texas tournament, I'll play. But they have a go kart thing on the other side of the casino underneath, and that's where I spend my time, go kart racing arm in the arcade like a door.
Speaker 3: Well, there's nothing wrong with that. God, enjoy life.
Speaker 2: And they have a new Gordon Ramsey restaurant open there, which I didn't get to try because it was already closed. But I do want to go back and try that. I'm going to get kicked out of his restaurant because I don't eat meat that's not well done, and I feel like if I asked for something well done, he'll be like, can you just leave?
Speaker 3: You never know, you got to give it a try.
Speaker 2: Call me a donut or something.
Speaker 3: Ah, yeah, fucking yeah, no, all right. So this dude's span a crime ran a mock from January third, nineteen seventy one. Then you know, it just chilled for a long time, and then it went on again on September thirteenth of two thousand and four.
Speaker 2: Wait, so he had almost like a thirty year gap of not doing anything well, thirty plus.
Speaker 3: Years, that's correct, madam.
Speaker 2: That's strange, very strange.
Speaker 3: So he was the second child to Herbert and Lisa Brandt, and he was actually nicknamed Charlie by his friends and people that knew him. And he also had an older sister named Angela and two younger sisters, Jessica and Melanie. Now his parents were German immigrants. They immigrated to the United States back in the year at nineteen fifty five, and his parents originally had moved to Texas before they ended up moving to Connecticut, where Brandt was born, and the family moved around a lot because of his father's employment. Now, his father worked in the division International Harvester.
Speaker 2: The fuck is that division? International Harvester? Like harvesting fruit, vegetables, cocaine, cocaine. That's a choice. What did you say?
Speaker 3: It was? All right?
Speaker 2: International Harvester, which is the International Harvester Company, was an American manufacturer of agricultural and construction equipment, automobiles, commercial trucks, lawn and garden products, household equipment, and more.
Speaker 3: This job here actually came with different promotions, certain perks and all that. Right, So the guy was just always busy getting all those perks and everything because you got to get perks.
Speaker 2: I feel like you're just making this into a drug case. We'll see if it actually goes there. No, he's moving cocaine, he's sticking perks. How what's happening?
Speaker 3: Oh that's funny. So because of this job and everything, I kind of put a damper on things as the kids were just always uprooted from school and so they always had to leave their friends and then make new ones. Yeah, I mean sometimes that could be hard in life.
Speaker 2: Right, definitely, especially a little kids. You can't form those bonds.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, and then they're just like, Okay, you met Jimmy, all right, bye Jimmy. See and that's it. You never see Jimmy again. Yeah, you're making new friends. Just a vicious cycle. Right. But this whole thing affected Charlie just a little bit more than a sister. And even with this demanding job, the father actually worked his way up from a draftsman project engineer and he did this pretty fucking well. So good for her.
Speaker 2: Okay, Herbert, Yeah he's moving on up, dude, I think I didn't say it.
Speaker 3: Nothing like climbing that company ladder run by run right.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: So they would always take like little vacations to Florida and all that. They would do this quite frequently as a family. Sometimes it would just be father and son there. They would go for hunting trips. This is where they would hunt small game and all that. Yeah, and some of his friends say, like he was just very quiet, very like patient. Now, he was also known to love his family, and he was always seen outside with his sisters. Usually he'd be taking care of them, you know, he would ride around with them on his bike and stuff, just have fun. Now, he went through a numerous amount of schools here, like I said, but he did obtain very good grades throughout all this, like the moving and all that good stuff. Yeah, he kept on power with the studies. And one teacher remembers that like he wasn't one to make friends. He had a bit of trouble in that department. I guess he was more of a loner who actually isolated himself from like the other students. Not all the time. I mean, like he talked to like one or two people, but that was about it.
Speaker 2: You can't really blame him if he's moving all the time and he's like, why even bother make this attachment if I'm going to move tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Well that's right. You know. Maybe he was just unattached with all that. But I mean he still studied and did his homework and everything right.
Speaker 2: And that's tough because if you go to school to school. I moved a lot when I was a kid, and every school's curriculum does not line up like you can move into one and they're dealing with I don't know whatever part of the plan and the the party already covered that that you go to, so you could be missing things or you could be repeating things, and that's good to be kept up with whatever obstacles were thrown at.
Speaker 3: Him exactly, And in September nineteen sixty eight, the family moved to Fort Wayne, Indiana, when Charlie was like eleven years old by now, and things went well for a bit. The father was making good coin. The family had vacations every now and again, right, so, I mean it was a good time for all. They would have two more daughters. As time went on, it seemed that Charlie had started to exhibit violent tendencies.
Speaker 2: Uh, oh, that's not good.
Speaker 3: No, this was around the time he was thirteen years old. Ah, it's like a repeated loss of temper, fighting, wrecking property, causing vandalism, property damage, shit like that. Increased use of drugs and or alcohol. Lastly, you know saying at thirteen. Yeah, yeah, like these are somethings that like lead.
Speaker 2: Oh I thought you said that Charlie at thirteen was like increased use of drugs or alcohol and like increased from water. He shouldn't be drinking period, and he's increasing it.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, this is it's just like how to see signs when this is going on, Like this is all the steps towards it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't they have the the triangle, the McDonald triangle.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that is. Explain.
Speaker 2: It's supposed to be like a test, a serial not a test but an indicator, but like serial killer children. And it was, oh, I know, animal cruelty, bed wedding, and there was something else. I have to look it up. Fire setting. So animal cruelty, fire setting and persistent bed wedding. It's the serial killer triangle, the McDonald triad.
Speaker 3: Huh, I learned something today.
Speaker 2: Wonderful, all right, So he was doing all weird stuff. He wasn't doing drugs, no, no.
Speaker 3: Yet, no. So let's pass forward to January third, nineteen seventy one. Surely this family had returned to their Fort Wayne residents the previous night. This is following like their annual Christmas vacation that was held up in Ramon Beach, Florida. After the children turned in for the evening, Old Herbert was shaving in the bathroom while Ilsa, who is now eight months pregnant, was just relaxing soaking in the bathtub here reading Time magazine. So yeah, they were just shaving, talking whatever, right, little Charlie, and then abruptly walked into the bathroom shot his father in the back at point blank range with his father's own nine millimeter handgun. So that's fucking crazy.
Speaker 2: So he found that shot him out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so the dad actually kept this in a nightstand drawer. After being shot, the dad just collapsed right there on the floor by the sink that he was shaving at. So by this time, the mother's just screaming, right, she just seen her husband get shot in the back. Now he's on the ground. Charlie then took aim with his gun and shot her multiple times. She died from her injuries, unfortunately. So then Charlie left the bathroom to go do another hard of his plan. So as he left, the dad groaned and he laid there a moment there. He was shocked, but he wasn't dead. So Charlie then walked into his sister Angela's room, pointed the gun at an attempt to shoot her, but the gun ended up jamming here it didn't go off, so since it jammed, Angela took this as an opportunity. She started to wrestle the gun away from her brother. Then Charlie began to choke her and then they scuffled around. So during all this, the sister was just making promises that they get this all figured out in the end, right, Like they're fighting, and she's like, no, we'll help you, we'll figure this out, right. So she convinced Charlie to go gather up some blankets for his two younger siblings, and then she ran to her neighbors to get some help and to kind of get away from him because she was just deathly afraid of him, right, But she never said that to him or anything, right, she didn't want him to freak out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she's trying to keep herself and her two younger siblings alive.
Speaker 3: That's true. No, Charlie ended up getting blankets for the younger sisters and then followed his sister out of the house, and all he could see is her running away, and like he told her not to leave him alone, but she ran ahead. Jared a gunshot. He tried to kill her, so why wouldn't she run so Not long after Charlie boy like kind of hoofs her in the other direction to the other neighbor's house. Charlie knocked and then when Buddy answered, Charlie just told him I shot my mom and dad. And then the cops were called to the scene. By this time, the father, Herbert, was up and about, so he got interviewed by police and everything, and he did make confirmation that it was his own son who had shot him and killed his wife an unborn baby. He then told police, like, not sure why he did this. It's just a completely unbelievable thing to happen, fucking pretty crazy out of nowhere. Yeah, Charlie had told his sister Angela that he couldn't remember what he had done moments ago. Angela described her brother as being in like a trans like state which had actually broken during their struggle, right, so he kind of like fucking snapped out of it. So when an interviewed by police, Brand attributed the shootings to a combination of things. Some was related to school, and he stated that everything sort of just snapped in my mind. I felt like I never felt before. And then Brand started talking about another incident here that took place a few days before the shooting. This is near the end of his family's floor to vacation, which the family dog was shot and killed. It was Charlie that shot him, So he covered this up.
Speaker 2: And it's strange because he doesn't have connections with friends, so you figure to rely on the dog having that concept in their life, but.
Speaker 3: Didn't happen in this situation. But yeah, after fucking around, like all the police interviews and all that, Charlie Boy was then arrested and then he spent some time in county jail. Now a quick thing I found here too that Brandt's two younger sisters actually lived under the impression that their mother had been killed in a car accident, so they never knew how she died. That's pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: That's such an old like back then. I mean, this is an extreme situation, but I feel like, you know, presentation of your family or your status was so important, so a lot of families would brush so many things under the rug. And that's a huge thing to brush under the rug.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, And because he was actually too young to be tried for murder, the judge actually made him spend one year in a psychiatric hospital bran until he spent one fucking year at this establishment before being released back into society and then the custody of his family back in Tune of Abou nineteen seventy two. So he shot and killed his mom because one year fucking.
Speaker 2: That is no consequence, zero consequence. One year.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now while he was here, three separate psychiatric evaluations went on, and all the doctors and everything failed to determine what actually triggered the shooting. Nobody had any idea, like why he just fucking snapped it. He just did what he did. I mean, there was no rhyme, no reason for it. It's a good kid, good in school.
Speaker 2: They're like, we don't know, but sure, let's release him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here you go.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so, like there was no psychiatric dis hease founded Charlie at all. Like that was their diagnosis. He showed zero signs of underlying psychological stress and that was a whole Uh.
Speaker 2: But if he was intelligent, he may have been able to outsmart certain tests if he knew what they were looking for.
Speaker 3: That is true. Now, one psychiatrist here, this is R. J. Pants Pack Pecker pack pecker packpecker, picker, picker pot Peter piper picked a bunch of peckled pickles, fucking peppers. We're just gonna put that in.
Speaker 2: We're gonna leave that perfect.
Speaker 3: No, it's not perfect. And one psychiatrist here, Er J. Pantsner, He mentionined that Charlie should be watched very closely by his family. And this dude had an office down in Fort Wayne. Now, nobody in the family mentioned anything about this whole thing again, and that's what the father wanted.
Speaker 2: And just put him right back with the siblings.
Speaker 3: Yep, that's it.
Speaker 2: I don't like to judge people. If I just find that from the information, I have very bizarre to insert him right back with the other children.
Speaker 3: After one year and they don't know what's on. And then they just relocated up to Ormond Beach, Florida, just a hop skip and a jump away buddy. They sold the home, the father quit his job, and boom new life.
Speaker 2: That is so disturbing because he already killed one of his siblings.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now, one year later, after moving and everything, Brand's father now remarried and the two younger sisters moved back to Indiana and Brandon Angela stayed behind in the care about their grandparents. So then Charlie would finish high school. Now, in nineteen eighty four, Charlie received a degree in electronics and became a radar specialist for Ford Aerospace and asked for Florida, so he moved a fuck up there. So he had a good job, he worked tired at it. And in between this he meet a woman named Teresa Terry Helfrich. Now she had owned a retail store up in Daytona Beach, and she was described by friends as a very happy go look person, is an all around good person. So after some time a dating here, the couple ended up tying the knot on August twenty ninth of nineteen eighty six. No relatives were invited to their wedding, which is a little bit weird, and the two were just inseparable here and they loved each other very much, and they didn't have anybody at their wedding right, kind of like a weird little request. I think, what do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, unless something was going on with the family, that is bizarre.
Speaker 3: And then the couple built and settled in on a six hundred thousand dollars beach house on Big Pine Key. It's in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 2: Now, Charlie a couple of years later making that money.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, getting the beach house there you go. Boy, Why do you get a weekend retreat when you get a time share?
Speaker 2: I don't like time shares?
Speaker 3: Do it?
Speaker 2: You get committed to the one spot, and then you have the maintenance fees, and then if you want to sell it, it's a whole thing, and even if you don't use it, you still have to pay that annual fee.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't see any harm, you know, any foul to this at all. I think you should do it. It's a great idea.
Speaker 2: I agree to disagree.
Speaker 3: I'll get you next episode. Like Christopher, I have a time share now. But yeah, back to it here. Like everything just seemed to be awesome with these two right, Like barely any arguments. They got along great. Neither really saw the other one get angry at anything at all. There were a lot of people that knew that Charlie's passing, that he killed his mom. That's going to be talked about, like friends and family actually try to get Charlie to tell Terry about this, but he declined and checks he knew nothing of what he did when he was thirteen years old.
Speaker 2: Well, that might be the reason why no one was invited to the wedding, because he didn't want anyone to have that time to talk to her.
Speaker 3: That could be an idea too. Now. Even Brand's sister Angela actually advised him to tell Terry about the murder of their mother, and all he said was like he would actually just take it into her revisement. It's like I'll take her. That was it. But there are some times here where he would have bad days. Terry would actually write about these bad days and like this daily planner thing like a diary. I guess now this is back in nineteen ninety three. She actually writes about like his puzzling behavior. Here she wrote up about like some depressive episodes and like some weird talk that he ramble on about, just randomness. I guess. Now fast forward in September Tewo, two thousand and four, there was a hurricane actually underway in the area. Now, so this is Hurricane Ivan, and the couple actually lived on one of the spots that was under evacuation, so they secured the house for a bit here they boarded up the windows. I do believe this whole thing did like twenty billion in damages actually throughout the United States, and it only had about one hundred and twenty four fatalities in total, so lots of damage lost fatalities. Still sucks. Yeah, do you remember Hurricane Ivan?
Speaker 2: I do, because I have a lot of family that live in Florida, and I remember just when they didn't answer for a day or two would freak out. But a lot of them got out of that area, the direct area.
Speaker 3: Well it's good. Everybody was okay, yeah, hell yeah.
Speaker 2: Minor house damage, but that's it. That's fine. Houses can be replaced. Things can be replaced.
Speaker 3: No, that's true. So what happened here is their niece, Michelle Lynn Jones. It's actually the daughter Terry's sister. She invited them to stay at her residence near Orlando, so, I mean it was nice for her to get her out and uncle out of the place that they were being evacuated from. Man Michelle was this successful executive TV person for the Golf Channel, so not a bad gig. She was thirty seven years old. Golf Channel is pretty popular now. Throughout the visit here, Michelle captain regular contact with her mother, right Mary Lou, as well as some of her friends. Now. On the evening of September thirteenth, one of Melissa's friends, Lisa Emmons, she was actually going to come visit her house, but Jones had discouraged her from coming, saying that the branch like had an argument after having some drinks and all that, the whole atmosphere just kind of shifted and that was kind of unfit to have people over. Now the couple was just a little pissed off at each other as all, so just kind of ruined the whole, like vibe for the company, no fucking point and people coming over right and all Michelle wanted to do by this point just go to sleep. She was just pissed off. Whatever I'm going to bed. Nobody would hear from them for a few days. So just two days later here on September fifteenth, none of Michelle's friends or family could actually get in contact with her at all, which was weird. She kept in contact with her mom a lot, even during the whole visit when like the Brants were up there and everything. Fuck, she talked to her mother then too, So this is weird for her to go two days or in any communication. So what a friend did is decided to head on and over do a wellness check. So this was Debbie Knight, So she went to the house here to check on everybody. Now, she was on the phone with Jones's mother when she was rolling up, so she had a spare key on the go, but when she went there to try it, the key wasn't working for some reason. So after finding the front door locked, she then tried to enter the house through the back over by the caraage. So once she was there, she looked through the door. This had like an all glass door or whatever. Right here she saw the outline of a person and it looked like the person was suspended in the air, was hanging from the rafters and this was actually Charlie. He hung himself using bed sheets in the house. After she found Charlie dead, obviously, she called the cops. Upon law enforcement's arrival, they talked to the friend that showed up, then they entered the house. They found the body of Brand's wife and their knees. The whole place was locked from the inside, so there was no forced entry, no sign of a struggle, nothing seemed to be taken in the house. To them, it looked like side job. And thus, with two people being killed and one having killed himself, authorities quickly determined that Charlie Brandt had killed his wife and niece before committing suicide on that night. It just looked like Charlie was just frying up some fish for everybody. They were all drinking booze, and police then realized that an argument had happened and it was most likely little after this that Charlie went on in his little rampage, right, so that's what they were thinking. Terry had been stabbed seven times in the chest. She was found lying on the couch and she was killed using the knives that were in Jones's kitchen. And Michelle Jones was found to have been decapitated and disemboweled. Ye crazy, and her heart and her organs were removed, and her head was actually placed next to her body.
Speaker 2: No indication as to why.
Speaker 3: Fucked There was no indication as to why he walked in and fucking shot his dad, you know, killed his own Maybe fucking lick her head probably something to do with it, I would imagine.
Speaker 2: I'm not a psychiatrist psychologist, but he definitely had some undiagnosed issues going on.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean to be trying to be diagnosed with this craziness back in the seventies. I'm sure they missed like one or two things. Yeah, now the tail goes that before he removed her organs, he carefully put her blood silk clothes in the bathroom sink before just membering her. This gruesome scene actually fucked with police too. It was just a horrific sight. Now, some of the cops that were there went to the front yard threw up. And these were seasoned officers too, had years into their belts all that.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, but there's certain scenes. Doesn't matter how many times how long you're on the job, if you walk into those, they're going to affect you.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, you're gonna remember that for a long time. Right. Well, even this chief investigator dude here, he said, in my twenty six years, I've never seen anything like this. Let's get a little bit more detailed on this case. Here, Terry had been stabbed. Like I said, the thing is here that you know, something actually stuck out to investigators. It was noticed that Charlie had used so much force and stabbing her that had actually penetrated the couch on the other side of her.
Speaker 2: That's definitely a lot of rage.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now Michelle was in her bedroom, as I said, her hat was cut off. He cut off one arm, removed both of her breasts, and it looked like he was halfway in the process of actually cutting off one leg as well, and then her heart was cut out too. Police actually needed dental records to identify her body, and there are some here that actually said she was sexually violated as well. Now it was also found out that Charlie had taken a shower, he got into some clean clothes, then entered the garage, pulled a stool between the cars, and then he used the rafters to tie the bed sheets that he took together, and he hung himself. And he left no note or any explanation as to why he did any of this. So that's fucking insane. What do you think about this?
Speaker 2: The only thing I think is it's very very strange that from his mother to then his niece and his well his mother and his sister or brother, and then to his wife and his niece thirty years. I find it very hard to believe that he didn't do anything else in those thirty years, because if you're going to have violent outbursts, I'm not saying that they're on a clock, but it's very unlikely that nothing else happened in that time.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, there's probably some shit that went down right that he wasn't caught for or whatever. And by now old Charlie Boyce family heard about the crime, and Angela, his sister, actually finally made the decision to tell police about what Charlie did back in seventy one, so that way, maybe that this case would start making some sort of sense. So she talked to investigators alone, and she spoke up about Charlie's like they said thirty years old.
Speaker 2: By now take thirty plus years.
Speaker 3: And following a search of branch residents there, it was revealed that he was a monthly subscriber to Victoria's Secret catalogs. So he liked the old Victoria's Secret. Maybe he didn't know what her secret.
Speaker 2: Was, you know the secret about Victoria. Yeah, Victoria is a man. A female doesn't know in that company.
Speaker 3: No, I wouldn't say fucking prosyeah.
Speaker 2: Bra underwear, their sweatshirt clothes because they also have pink, which is like at the Victoria's Secret store. There's like a little off branch and they have a lot of clothes and stuff there too, and perfume.
Speaker 3: Really have you bought things from there?
Speaker 2: I spend a lot of money there, too much money.
Speaker 3: Oh see there you go, look you have an addiction. They're also a gambler.
Speaker 2: I'm addicted to the go karts at the bottom of Foxwoods.
Speaker 3: Did you win any races?
Speaker 2: I did? But my son's like so much better than me at it. He has like the F one set up in his room, so he practices all the time, so he takes corners better than me. So if I raise him, I usually lose. We'll come in second.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: I just I'm really curious in this case if they looked around the time. I know that you're talking about the Victoria's Secret magazine, but if they looked around that area about either missing or murders that were unsolved.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I wonder.
Speaker 4: That could be a good little little thing to talk about as well. I'll get into that as well. I have a little bit of stuff on that too, all right. Plus, like the search and everything here they found an extensive collection of surgery themed books, posters, and a bunch of clippings here like operations and.
Speaker 2: Stuff, posters, and yeah, that's weird. I could see books having an interest or having like to take an anatomy a class or something, but having posters and he works in engineering is very strange.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe he took them off the walls or something, Right, like you see shit at the hospitals or something. Maybe he just took some stuff, you know, like those doctors fucking posters and stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, so he has like a what a fascination with anatomy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he also had this big picture of how a heartworks posted on the wall too. Yeah. No, plus like another weird thing here, they also found out that he had a nickname for Michelle and that he actually called her a pretorious secret, which is fucking weird. And friends also mentioned that he was just very like quiet and reserved, like nobody thought that he would do this. But I mean people already knew that he did this before, right, just fucking sit back and observe shit. Others say he was a good guy, you know, a little bit of centric and stuff, but he would just like kind of just chill observe everything, right, you know, talk to people and stuff. Normal guy. As the case went on, police heard through the grapevine here that Charlie might have actually committed other murders lists and one actually happened when his wife was still a lot Now police actually determined that Brand's murderer, Jones indicated like past experience the way like he's cut up the body and everything. Plus because he traveled often due to his job and everything, police checked out like all these cold cases and Florida that actually matched, like the you know, DMO and all that, and try to figure out if he killed anybody else while he was traveling for work. So tail goes. A woman's body was found. This is on July sixteenth, nineteen eighty nine. She was partially clothed. This is the body of one Sherry Parashot. She was a thirty eight year old female. She was discovered floating near the Big Pine's Key North Pine Channel Bridge. Partia's throat had been slashed to the point of near decapitation and it was just brutal. Her head was like literally halfway off.
Speaker 2: With bodies speculation, of course, but if he was practicing on her or trying to do it and then he just got better on his knees, you can see his evolution throughout. So who knows how many more people he may have again allegedly because I don't know. No, he probably definitely did a lot more than what he was charged for. It was hard to believe that that was it.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, Plus another thing here, like her body was extensively mutilated too, and her heart was removed almost as like done by an actual surgeon, so he was getting better. Plus the body was actually found less than one thousand feet from Brandt's beach house, so it wasn't very far away at all either.
Speaker 2: Oh wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And when police questioned people around the neighborhood about her, people remembered seeing a man nearby that night too. The man was actually seen crossing US Route one near the murder scene. And even his wife, Terry, actually gave a statement to the cops here and she told her brother in law about some shit. Terry mentioned to the police and her brother in law that she had suspected Brandt in that nineteen eighty nine killing a sherry. Now, she stated that brand actually came home with blood on his shirt that night, which he claimed was from laying fish, and that was pretty much it. Terry actually kept journals on days that like Charlie got emotional and ruin too, right, like I said, And yeah, she actually showed police like some of these kind of give them a little bit more insight on who he was, how he was.
Speaker 2: That's so frustrating because this if all of his information had been shared maybe some of these lives could have been saved, exactly.
Speaker 3: Doctor Phill even said that a fucking thing. That's funny. So actually, based in all this evidence here, Terry's reported statements and stuff, Monroe County investigators determined that Brand killed Cherry and they officially closed the case on May sixth, two thousand and six. Police started to reinvestigate unsolved murders in Florida dating back to nineteen seventy three for potential evidence of Brand's involvement. And there were actually three that checked out. Now, they were nineteen seventy eight. There was Carole Lynn Sullivan. She was twelve years old. She was last yeah, she was last seen at six. Now, Sullivan was adducted from a school bus stop in the Leisua County on September twentieth, nineteen seventy eight, in Deltona, and her skull was found in a paint can. So this was leading authorities to presume she was murdered and decapitated.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now, the skull here was found twelve days later, less than two miles away. The flesh was gone off it and there was nothing there but like this small patch of hair, and this is located sitting in the tall grass on a slope near a pond in the area of Doyle Road in Saxon Boulevard. This is farther west in Daltona actually, and the rest of her bones and all that they were never recovered. Now, the head was actually discovered by the nineteen year old Bob Gorman, who is exploring the area in the vicinity of his parents' future home. So he walked over. He's seen the can, then the skull, and then all the fire ants that were crawling like all over it too, So he set it down and he ran to his car. Then he drove to the nearest convenience store and then called the sheriff's office from there, and that'said I found her. Now, at the time, Brant was twenty one and he lived in Valisia County at the time actually, but he couldn't be tied to the crime in any other way than that, And even today there's actually no link to Branton Sullivan at all. So just something to think about. And then in nineteen eighty eight there's Lisa Sanders, aged twenty. So Sanders was beaten and dragged from her car in Big Pine Key and this is back in December. Her heart was missing when she was found, but it's unclear if it was extracted by the attacker or like eaten by like vultures or anything like that. Again, the last one here, this is nineteen ninety five. This will be Darlene Toler. She was thirty eight. Toiler was from Miami who's was missing her head, her heart and it was discovered dumped in a grassy area near a highway. Brandt actually used that same highway regularly, so he kept mileage record of all his travels. It's actually shown an entry for one hundred miles on the day of her murder, roughly the whole driving distance between Big Pine Key and the area of Miami where a Tolder's body was found. Even aside from the nineteen eighty nine like Parashoal murder and all that, there wasn't enough evidence to conclusively link him to the three other crimes. So unfortunately that sucks, you know, it just seems that the women like seem to suffer the same way that the other women have too, But it was just something they couldn't prove. But the ones that he was linked to were just fucking brutal, and he was now dead by suicide, so he could no longer hurt anybody anymore. Nobody really knew why he did any of the He's actually suspected, like you said, in more murders, but police are still trying to link him to those. Police actually suspect him in like thirty plus murders. And when things actually slowed down after all this here, the family actually noticed that the father, Herbert, never said a word to anybody about his son's crimes. He never even apologized. But I mean maybe he just wanted to keep quiet about everything, right, who knows? And it just sucks. I mean, all these people lost their lives, and the one that did it escaped any kind of repercussions or anything because he hung himself.
Speaker 2: He never really faced consequences, it seemed, in his life for the killing as a child, what was that psychiatric for a year. But it's weird that when he was older, if he was in that what did you say, an aeronautic company that he could get that clearance, have in that background like did he pass that background check? And one other thing you said before, how he had the clothes, the bloody clothes and the sink already. I wonder again speculation if he planned on killing his niece to get away with it, but then his wife walked in on it, and that might have been the anger because he didn't do to his wife what he did to his niece. Again, I don't know enough about this case to really, but it just seems like it's a possibility. It sucks back then because it's you want to like blame law enforcement for not doing that, but they didn't have the same technology as they do now, Like they'd have to pick up a phone and notice a pattern, and you know what I mean, manually searched would take forever because interdepartmental things just weren't really a thing back then. So it's sad that so many people died just from I don't want to call him mistakes, but just oversights by you know, law enforcement and just keeping that a secret. What is the point of that? Why what was that? Who was that benefiting.
Speaker 3: Nobody but a murderer? Yeh exactly, Like even like what he just told, like he should tell He's like, nah, just brush it off kind of thing. Right?
Speaker 2: Has her family ever said like they must have said something that they were upset about that.
Speaker 3: I believe his sister came out and told people and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, his wife, like his wife's family must have been very upset when they found out about Charlie's past.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were a few people that were upset there and that You should watch the Doctor Phil episode on this on YouTube there.
Speaker 2: Oh, I definitely will.
Speaker 3: No, it's pretty fucking good. I'll send you a link.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please do Doctor Phil's age. That's a crazy case. It's just a it's a tragic case that at some points could have been avoidable, may have been avoidable.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, think about if he just hung himself, you know, and didn't kill any of these people, he just did all this shit beforehand and spared their lives, you know, that would have been a better fucking outcome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a crazy case, though, I've never heard of that before.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're welcome.
Speaker 2: Insanity always is fuckery, buddy, fuckery.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much, Thank Kris for coming on.
Speaker 3: You're awesome, and we will pod again sometime in the near century, which I hope you enjoyed my.
Speaker 2: Tale absolutely, Thank you. Thank you everybody so much for listening, and I hope everyone stay safe and if you see something, Say something till next time.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. If you need more content or just want to help support the podcast, head on over to patreon dot com and search ouch. Was that a ghost? If you need some snazzy merch, you can find it at crowdmai dot com by searching ouch. Was that a ghost? If you have a store you'd like to share, you can email it to ouch. Was that a ghost? At Yahoo dot com? You can also find us on Facebook and all the other social media platforms under ouch. Was that a ghost? All links can also be found on ouch. Was that a ghost? Dot com?