Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. It was a win for the Dodgers last night in more ways than one. The Dodgers walk off thanks to Will Smith, but also did not have to dip into that bullpen thanks to Emit Shean and our guest Justin Robleski. Thanks a lot for the time, justin appreciate it. And there's Emma Sheen right on.
Speaker 2: Cute thank you.
Speaker 3: David's up.
Speaker 1: Hey, how was that feeling last night? Just rewarding not only in winning the game, but also helping your bullpen out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, obviously it's you know, it's always great to help the bullpen. And you know, like I said before, going out there and saving the bullpen is kind of my job, regardless of where my role is right now.
Speaker 3: So that's kind of what I want to go out there and do every time.
Speaker 1: The last time we've seen you, the last two times out, including last night, it just seems like you're pitching with a lot more conviction.
Speaker 2: Are we seeing that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: For sure, I think I'm just kind of dipping back into who I am as a pitcher and just kind of I think that comes with, you know, comfortability and being up here, So I think it's it's been great and I've I'm feeling good.
Speaker 2: Who is that? Who are you as a pitcher?
Speaker 4: I think I'm just I'm the guy that's gonna go out there and fill the strike zone and then you know, let my stuff play and see where.
Speaker 3: It takes me.
Speaker 2: What was working so well last night?
Speaker 4: I think we were doing a pretty decent job of getting ahead and counts. I think I still could have done a little bit better first pitch strikes, but I was doing a good job if I didn't get the first pitch strike, kind of getting back in the count, getting two of the first three in there, and you know, when you have guys on their heels, it's just tougher for them to hit.
Speaker 3: So I think that's what I was doing a good job of.
Speaker 1: I guess we could get into all the science of pitching, but it really does come down to making your job easier by getting ahead early.
Speaker 3: That's true. That's that's what we're trying to do.
Speaker 1: I know, right everybody wants to break down your pitching mechanics, but getting ahead in the count strike one is vital to anybody. I sometimes count how many pitches a pitcher will throw behind in the count, and you could see the difference how it works and how get yourself into trouble when you don't throw strike one.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 4: I think it's just you know, guys up here are obviously very very skilled, best hitters in the world, so when you get behind in the count, it kind of frees them out to take their best swings and that's where you get into trouble.
Speaker 1: Justin Robleski is our guest. I'm still amazed by how many of you young guys can adapt from being a starting pitcher to being a guy to come in in bulk innings or close out games. What is it about the culture in the minor leagues that allows you guys to be so nimble.
Speaker 4: I think it's just we have a lot of guys with pretty high character and kind of are willing to do whatever it takes to win. And especially you know, we understand that when we come up here, like what our role is and where we fit in. I think, you know, everybody understands that regardless of where you're at, the goals of what you're trying to do out there is the same, and no matter where you are, it's it's the same you're just trying to get ahead and counts, you're trying to save the bullpen. You're just trying to go out there and do your thing. And I think, you know, just focusing on the process more than you know necessarily what the results are or where you're pitching from.
Speaker 1: When the game is rolling on like it was last night, how do you treat the preparation? Are you trying to put your head where it would be at seven ten?
Speaker 4: I think for me it's just you know, treating it similar to a start. Obviously, there's there's some things that you can't quite prepare for, but you know, for me, it's like I'm going to come in after Cheezy and you know whatever whatever we do, like whenever, that is like, just be ready for it, and you know, you have an idea and Bartow and all them are very good about, you know, telling you you know, kind of what the plan is going into the game and then you just kind of roll and adap with it.
Speaker 1: Hey, I love that nickname Cheesy for image shean. Of course, of course you've got to give him some spice. That's why he's the man.
Speaker 3: He's the man.
Speaker 2: How good was it to see him back out there.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, man, it's it's awesome. You know, I kind of I had had TJ as well, so I kind of know what it takes. And you know, especially you know, for him having it, you know, while being in the big leagues, I'm sure it was a little tougher, and you know, it really really awesome to see him do his thing last night. He's got electric stuff. He's a great dude, so it was super super happy for him.
Speaker 1: Justin Robleski is our guest in front of first pitch between the Dodgers and Padres as the Dodgers look for the four game sweep. Also another dynamic last night was your catcher Dalton Rushing. How comfortable were you seeing him behind the plate, even at this level.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's great. It's great to see Dalton back there.
Speaker 4: And obviously I've thrown him a bunch of the minor leagues, so just kind of having the chance to throw to him is great. You know, whether whether it's him or will, I trust both of them back there. So it was it was cool to throw to him and go to see him get that big hit last night.
Speaker 1: What fancy nickname does Dalton Rushing have in Oklahoma City?
Speaker 3: Just rush, just rush.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's all. That's all we got for him. But he doesn't need him, he doesn't need a crazy one.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: What about Robleski? Just Robo, just Robo. That's been it forever, all right.
Speaker 2: Stash is looking nice.
Speaker 4: I appreciate it. I appreciate him trying to maintain, trying to maintain.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time, great job last night and keep it going, yes, sir, thank you,