Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 2: Nine day, Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we are get off our show, idiot. The kids are playing to tail off. The countries are screwing it up.
Speaker 3: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, gold Play Inner Murals.
Speaker 2: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 1: Who's the kid here?
Speaker 2: Are you kidding me? Now? Here's Nick Coffee?
Speaker 4: All right, Happy Tuesday, So you welcome in Coffee and Company, Fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee, Austin Montgomery taking you up until six o'clock. As mentioned on a Tuesday after an it kind of feels like evening because it's been gloomy, kind of dark outside. I know, we got another batch of storms coming in this evening. So we'll let you know if in fact there's any real, you know, news that you need to be aware of. I doubt that you typically would think, hey, we need to listen to Nick and Austin on Coffee and Company to keep us safe from storms, but hey, we might as well utilize the platform for something positive here, right, I mean, the rest of it's probably going to be nonsense. I mean, we'll have some fun, hopefully you'll have some fun with us along the way. But as far as how productive we are over these next few hours, we'll have to wait and see. But given that we had such a devastating storm that is killed twenty people roughly, I think the debt total is still at nineteen as of earlier this morning Governor Basher's latest updates. So it's going to be nasty, but again, hopefully it's not anything close to what we had just just before, four or five days ago, whatever it was. And I'll see the devastation in the London area in Laurel County. I mean there's houses, really just a section of a neighborhood that looks completely i mean completely demolished, where there's really no I mean, it's just completely demolished. If you've seen it, you know exactly what I'm talking about. But there are other areas, I'm sure where maybe they just had some roof damage, or maybe they had their roof ripped off, and they're still trying to salvage whatever they can of what's left of their home. And I know, it's been a big push to get tarps and whatnot out there because they're trying to cover up. I mean, it's the area that just got hit really bad. I mean it sounds like they're going to get it again, which is terrible. Hopefully nothing close to what we saw at the end of last week, though. Rd If you guys want to take us with you wherever you go you can. You can listen live on the Aheart Radio. I've also listened live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. We'll let you know how you can be a part of the show and contribute here in just a moment. But I do want to start with what I think is some pretty substantial news when it comes to the future of college athletics, and it is getting a lot of attention. But obviously there's not as much interesting as much interest in college sports nationally as there is in certain markets like this where you know our college teams here Louisville, Kentucky. I mean, they're basically the pro teams. But it's been such a I guess, a big question mark when it comes to the future of college sports with the insanely different landscape that we've had in the last four to five years with the portal and nil and they're really being no control. You hear people say things like, well, it's the wild wild West, and it pretty much is and all of this and we don't need to get into it. As far as just how we got here, I think we've touched on that enough in the last few years. But it really comes down to the UNSTABLA just trying to maintain their archaic amateurism model and never realizing that that was not sustainable, never realizing that, you know, that's not something that they can expect to be the way things are for the rest of time. As society evolves and people realize, you know what, doesn't really make a lot of sense for there to be so much money made off college athletics and these guys don't get These guys and gals I should say, they don't get paid for performing and they really don't even get a share of the revenue. Well that's how we ended up here in the grand scheme of things. But this House bill settlement that's been out there for how long now, it's been pretty much a weekly thing as far as looking for updates to see, okay, how far have they gotten on this, and a lot of people understandably so wouldn't really want to know nerd out and look at what really is in place here. And I get it. I'm kind of the same way, but I feel like, considering that it's such an important thing when it comes to the future of college sports, I mean, I'm interested. I want to know what's going to happen, and each update we've got I feel like in the last couple of months is there's always one little hold up that has kept them from fully saying, Okay, here's what we're doing, this is it, it's final. Here are the rules, Here are the guardrails. Here are the list of things that programs need to be aware of as far as doing everything by the book, not breaking the rules. And I don't say this to exaggerate. I don't say this for effect. I think there's been some times here recently in the last couple of years where you don't really know what the rules are. And I don't mean like fans who follow it, I mean programs, head coaches. Because it seems as if you do something that might be against NCAA bylaws, you hire a lawyer, you take the nc DOUBLEA to court, and more often than not they've been losing, and that was going to be something that probably was never going to go away. Schools realizing well, we get it. This rules in place because you need to have some level of enforcement, you need to have some level of guidelines that everybody has to follow to make things equal, make things fair. But there's always a lawyer that can maybe find a loophole and try to stick to the NCUBA, because to be fair, the NABA, even if they are trying to get things in order, trying to regulate college sports to where it's not such a free for all, there's going to be certain things that they try to put in place for good reason, but technically a judge may say you're not allowed to do that. That's really been their biggest battle in the last couple of years is even when they are trying to not necessarily just roll with an iron fist and nitpick and keep programs and student athletes from doing certain things that you know, even when they're trying to do what we want them to do, they run into issues with a judge telling them, hey, you're not actually allowed to do that, and that really puts them in a tough spot. So I guess I'll start with the big news that has been confirmed by Front Office Sports. I think Ross Dellinger is the one who I saw that put this out there first last night, and it's pretty much been confirmed that the Power Conferences are now in charge of enforcing amateurism the NS double A will seed enforcement, meaning they're no longer claiming they are responsible to determine who and who is not technically eligible, don't. I mean, I have no clue how they're going to work it all out, because again, what's happened, and I guess I'll buy it started with last night where Ross Ellingrew broke a pretty big story that the Power Conferences, meaning the SEC, the Big Ten, the Big twelve, and the ACC are putting together and I guess they've been working on this for a while. They've drafted a contract that would bind schools to new enforcement rules and require them to waive the right to sue over decisions. And what it sounds like is Tennessee recently filed some Let me make sure I've got my info correct here, because going back to what I said a moment ago, anytime you take steps towards figuring out okay, here are going to be the this is the guidelines. This is now the rule or the rules I should say that everybody has to follow. Yet you find some type of loophole to where somebody hired a lawyer and they're going to be able to sue in order to get around following rules, which again is an issue that makes the NC DOUBLEA, to be honest with you, pretty pretty helpless. So this document that they put together that I guess has now been stamped for approval, so much so that the NC DOUBLEA Charlie Baker, who again is now the new Mark Emmert, he is now claiming, yes, they are now in charge. They don't have the resources. So what this does is this is and I'm reading here directly from Ross Dellinger of Yahoo Sports. The document, described as affiliation or membership Agreement isn't final, but a draft of the contract has been distributed to dozens of school presidents, general counsels, and ads, some of whom pushed back against some of the concepts which are now being refined. The document is basically you signing over, you signing off on saying that all seventy plus Power Conference schools, if of course you sign off as well as others if they opt into this agreement. It's a way to bind everybody together into a group to provide stability around the enforcement of rules, including the NIL Clearinghouse LBI caps. So there's a new it was a new Tennessee state in IL law that came out late last week and it provides an example of why this agreement is necessary to have stability and regulation in the rev Share era. So never say, I mean, it's tough to know if this wouldn't shock me in any way, if by the end of the show today there's some kind of a pushback and this won't happen because you have what you're relying on. For there to be clear guidelines, rules that everybody has to follow, you need like everybody to agree and be on the same page. And that's really hard to do with a lot of things. It's even harder to do when it comes to these schools, these universities coming together to a agree on something, yet they're always competing and what eighty percent of these schools might agree on, maybe there's twenty percent that say, hey, agreeing to that will put us at a disadvantage. I mean, it's really tough to envision everybody being one thousand percent on the same page. But it sounds like, you know, it sounds like they're getting close. So I mean this, this would be huge, and this would make it to where you sign off claiming that you are you are, you are agreeing to follow these guidelines and if you do and you break said rules, or maybe if you don't even agree to sign it, you can be kicked out of your conference. That's the one thing that Trust me, I'm far from a legal expert, but I don't know how you could come to a school and say, if you don't agree to sign this, then we're going to kick you out of the conference. I mean, I don't really know how you'd be able to do that. But again, what do I know? So I'm kind of excited about this because it does give us some I mean, it gives if this works out, this will give us a much more I guess, less hectic version of college sports to where you really just have no clue what's allowed, what's not, what's going on. And I think for us, you know, we care about it so much where we love the college programs in this state U of l UK to where really regardless of what's going on, how messy it is, how confusing it is, how unregulated things are. Like, we're still going to care, we're still going to be into it, but for the greater good of college sports for the foreseeable future, there needs to be some level of regulation, and it sounds like this is a big step in that direction. So again, what this would do the Big Ten, the SEC, the Big twelve, and the ACC this membership agreement. It would bind all these schools to follow new enforcement rules and would keep these schools from being able to sue overrule enforcement. Meaning if you sign off and you don't follow the rules and you get in trouble, you can't go file a lawsuit. You can't you know, you can't get to get your attorney to just say, hey, we'll fight it in court. We're gonna keep breaking the roles because we know technically if it gets to that point we're going to win. They're going to lose because they're not technically allowed to tell us we can't do that. It's against the law in some way. So this is if this works out. Where this is great is that you no longer have to worry about the seemingly never ending situation where we'll do whatever we want and if the NCUBA tells us we can't, we'll hire a lawyer and will win. I mean, there's been some athletes that have hired attorneys that tried to sue the nc DOUBLEA and not had success. We learned that recently. All those players that just wanted to randomly just claim that they have eligibility left and nobody knows where it comes from, they actually did not have success in court. We learned that last week and that's not a surprise. Although it is seems like a rare thing for the NCUABLEA to have success in the court room. That doesn't seem like it's happened in a long time. But any recent lawsuit that has been I think out there as a story when it comes to a school and fighting the n C double A. I don't know what the success rate is, but it feels like the NC double A has lost a lot of them, and to me, it seems like it never you're never gonna win. This would change all that to where all these schools are agreeing enough is enough. It's way too chaotic. Nobody really knows what the rules are, and if you do, you can break them and fire and hire a lawyer. If everybody agrees to this, which again I think that's easier said than done, that would make it to where you know, you've you've signed off saying that if you do, in fact break rules and don't follow them, you'll suffer the consequences and you won't be able to just sue to get out of it. So again, I feel like that's huge news. But I don't know, maybe it's just me, maybe I'm maybe I'm more interested in this stuff than others. But and it's not like it's really that interesting, like it's entertaining, but it's it's it's it seems like it's a big deal when it comes to the future of college sports, which is something I know that a lot of us care a lot about. And the n C double A, I mean that that alone, just just reading that headline, I mean, that's that's huge. That the n C Double A will seed enforcement of amateurism to the power conferences. And I guess Charlie Baker is looking at this as a situation where he realizes they are they're powerless, they can't really enforce anything, so they're letting these power conferences work together to say, Okay, everybody's going to have to agree, we'll work together and have our own system, and you're in or you're out, meaning you sign off and we all follow these rules. We don't hire lawyers and fight it in court or we you know, or you're out, which I don't really know how they could do that, but I think that would be because again, if you are someone willing to I guess, be against it and fight against it. The thought of you no longer being able to, like if you're if you're one of these schools in the Big twelve, Big ten sec ACC, if you if you felt that there was fear that you could be booted from your league, I mean, that would really make it to where your athletics department would no longer exist because not every school but nearly all of them rely heavily on the annual check they get from their conference as far as the revenue share, the grant of rights. So anyways, we'll keep you updated that that's been developing throughout the afternoon. Again the Front Office Sports story as far as as the NCAA, I guess confirming the report from Dellinger that yeah, we're we're we're going to. I mean that that just came out within the last couple of hours, so we'll keep you updated if there's more info that comes from that along the way. Today, a lot of other things we'll get into and as I try to make the most of these last I guess this is the eighth show left, so we'll finish strong. We've got this week and then next week before I make the move to early early mornings on news Radio eight forty whas which I woke up this morning at three forty five, just randomly, and I got up use the restroom. I went and got something to drink, and I realized starting June, in June, I'll be like I will have already had to have been up for probably twenty thirty minutes, which is a really it was a pretty scary thing to think about. But you know, I'm sure I'll Here's what I'm hopeful for, Austin, is that I'll I'll adjust, But I don't know if it ever gets easy, right, I'll get used to it. But I just I don't think there's a scenario where I just wake up automatically ready to start the day at three point fifteen in the morning. Yeah, just I mean, that's impossible.
Speaker 3: I think kind of makes you feel more appreciative of how mister Kruz does it and now just the company man.
Speaker 4: Company man's been doing it for a long time.
Speaker 3: I see he's got a newborn baby. My heart goes out to him for being able to do that. But maybe him and his wife have made it work. So yeah, he doesn't. He does a good job of not like of leaving everything at home kind of like at the door unless she's just kind of tell you about like what's going on with like his family, but you wouldn't be able to tell you, like if he's stressed or not outside of work, because he's a company man. He's a true pros he's the he's earned the title.
Speaker 4: I mean, I can see and I'm not speaking for him at all, so trust me, if you know, John, we're just we're just remove him from the conversation because I don't want to make it seem as if like I'm sharing something that he's shared with me, because I don't bring any of that stuff up and I talk to him because I just feel like, hey, I don't want to over you know, I just leave him be because I just imagine the early wake up call, the early wake up calls that he has. But also like you know, he's probably not getting a whole lot of sleep before he has to get up at three thirty in the morning because he's got an infantite home. But like I know, whenever, whenever we had our first I was eager to get back to work. Like I was, I was to the point where I needed to get out of the house. And it was nice to kind of, you know, just just not not like I was running away from my responsibility of you know, taking care of a human being who I you know, brought into this world with my lovely wife, but just you know, some time to yourself, and even if that's work, it does kind of just get you away to you know, know, right to breathe a little bit. It probably sounded bad if you if you know you've never been in that situation, but I think it's not like to go get some milk. Yeah. Well, And also it was great, like as much of it, as much as it was a challenge for for my wife and I'm sure a lot of other wives to have to go back to work for the first time after you've had your first kid, because you've got the postpartum and you know, you're you've probably been attached to your infant nearly every second of the day until that day happens whenever you have to go back to work and your maternity leaves over. But it's also good for you and I I mean, I know for my wife it was hard at first, but in the end of acting, when once you find that balance, it's it's you know, it all works out. But yeah, I'll be up early starting in June. And again I'm not I'm not sure it's ever gonna be easy, but over time, I suppose I'll get I'll get used to it, and uh yeah, looking forward to it, but also gonna you know, gonna be sad to move on from seven to ninety. But we'll make the most of the time we have left, that's for sure, all right, coming up what I want to get to. On the other side, we talked yesterday about a new addition to the Louisville roster, somebody we'd never heard of, Mohammed Kamara, who is from the NBA Academy Africa. I'll admit, and I talked about this yesterday. I don't know anything about him. I just know that he committed to Louisville yesterday, and that's the first time I've heard of him. There's not the exact same situation going on in Lexington, but there is a you know, top thirty five ish recruit that is going to announce his college decision, I believe this evening, and he's considering Kentucky among some other schools. I won't lie and act like I know a whole lot about like his recruitment and where he's going to go, But this, to me, I think will be a similar situation of what happened with Louisville, to where you just kind of ended up with somebody you'd never really heard about or knew much about that ends up taking one of your final roster spots. And I just think that's going to maybe be a new norm moving forward, because there's a lot of moves. It's really a game of musical chairs when you're building your roster in the off season right now with the portal, with you know, the high school recruits and guys that you know you're hope and come back, and then you' got guys that maybe are testing the NBA process and then you think they're gonna come back but they don't, so you may end up with, Okay, here we are, the dust is settled. We still have a couple of scholarships available. You know, let's kind of start start from scratch, almost and see what's out there and see what we can go at. I don't know if that's what happened with tomorrow yesterday who committed, but I just think it's going to be a new world. It already is a new world as far as how you build your roster every year in college basketball. And I think if Kentucky gets a commitment tonight, it'll be another sign that, you know, just expect that maybe when you get down to late May, early June and there's one, maybe two spots left, you know they're gonna try to use that. I think leaving scholarships open is just a waste, and I don't think coaches will be wise to do that moving forward, because even if you if you use a scholarship on a guy and you find out down the line it wasn't a good scholarship to use because the kid can't play, one or two things will happen. He'll read the room and leave, and you'll have that scholarship back the next year, or you can let them know, Hey, it didn't work out, and we think that you know, it'll be best for you to move on because it didn't work out. So also we're gonna be talking coming up here three forty five with doctor Eric maclrot Prora have physical therapy. Looking forward to catching up with him. So we've got a lot from now up until six. So hang out with us, take us with you wherever you go. You can listen live on the AHET Radio app. Listen live at seven ninety Louisville dot com. It is coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talks seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 4: Three point thirty here on a Tuesday afternoon. Coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talks seven ninety. Make sure you sign up if you haven't yet, to become a member. To become a member of the Refreshing Awards program at Thorntons, you'll save money at the gas pump. I mean that alone is enough incentive for you to become a member, But there's also some other great things to come with it, including the special savings you can get. For example, the Monster Intagy drinks that I get, you can get three of them for seven bucks, which again that's a good deal. That's a really good deal. But that's not the only thing. There's the frequency, meaning there's certain items that they put in the club and if you purchase him a certain amount of times depending on what the item is. You never know. You put in your phone number or your skin your Refreshing Awards card and you find out it's free. So take advantage. Sign up, become a member, download the app. It's free, it's easy to find. All you got to do is search for it and your iPhones the Apple I guess this is it called, yeah, the app Store on your iPhone, and I guess the Google play Store if you have an Android. So sign up. You should trust me, take my word for it, all right. So the recruit that I guess is looking at Yeah, he's going to make his decision tonight. It's seven o'clock. He is a four star. Yeah, Hawthorne is his last name. I don't know why I'm blanket on his first name, but yeah, his name is Brayden Hawthorne and he's going to announce tonight between Kentucky Duke Pitt, West Virginia and Virginia Tech. He's a six' eight. Wing, really his rankings are all over the. Place some have him as high as in the top, forties some have him closer to the. Eighties but either, way this is a guy THAT i feel, like Probably kentucky, fans Maybe i'm. Wrong maybe if you follow it like super, closely you've been aware of this guy for a long, time but it kind of seems like it it kind of popped up out of. Nowhere and this, guy by the, way did in fact make a significant jump in the recent. Rankings the only Reason i'm bringing all this up is Because kentucky get end up with a six seven six eight wing who's a top thirty ish top forty ish player that they probably didn't even know a whole lot about prior to a couple weeks, ago or maybe even. Sooner and that's just unusual around. Here BUT i think when you get to the end of THE i would say the, Portal but then, again like the transfer portal's been closed for a while, now and clearly there's still players out, there but the majority of the guys that are still available in the portal are testing THE nba draft situation and will probably make a decision soon to come. Back but even those, guys it seems to be pretty clear that they know where they're going to end up if they do decided to come. Back in, fact some of the guys that are testing the waters have not even entered the portal, right meaning if they come, back they're going where they played last. Year so with this news as well As Mohammed kamara committing yesterday To louisville seemingly out of, NOWHERE i don't want to say, that, well we should just expect this every, year BUT i really wouldn't wouldn't be shocked if that's how it plays, out because you're going to have a certain amount of scholarships every year available to go get guys in the, portal and you probably will already have some guys signed from the high school. Ranks but then you'll, realize, hey we didn't get what we wanted in the portal at this one. Position we have this scholarship. Left let's reevaluate what's available in both the portal but also the high school, ranks and there's really no risk at taking a chance on a guy because it's just one. YEAR i, mean it's a one. Year it's always been a one year. Commitment BUT i Remember Chris mack told me this years ago that when it comes to, recruiting some of the biggest mistakes you can make are believing a guy has something that you end up finding out doesn't as far as the ability to develop and. Whatnot and, yes you can move on from a player if you. WANT i guess your scholarship is technically a one year renewal every. Year but that wasn't the way things, were, RIGHT i, mean you didn't see. GUYS i mean it was rare if a guy was, told, hey hit you, know see it. Later and most kids didn't want to transfer because they didn't want to sit out a. Year SO i guess technically you weren't stuck with, Players but it was just a different world to where most coaches probably just, Realized, LOOK i asked his kid to come play for. Me he's not quite as good AS i thought he was going to. Be he's not progressing as quickly AS i would. Like but you, know he took a chance on, me AND i took a chance on.
Speaker 3: Him and here we.
Speaker 4: Are now it's, WELL i, mean you, know you wouldn't feel as bad at all by kind of showing the kid the door or maybe just having a conversation, saying, HEY i think it's probably best for you if you move on and here's here's here's the way you can do. IT i, mean even if there was a resistance because a kid didn't want to, leave, well, NOW i, mean just don't pay, them, RIGHT i mean nil IS i, MEAN i feel like every player on a basketball team at a power program or even maybe a power, conference they're getting something for. Nil they're not ALL i, Mean i'm sure there's a wide range of what the top players get and the guys who ride the. Bench but let me give you an. Example Big, frank who transferred To louisville last year was a guy who rarely, played but you, know he's probably The he was the last GUY i think added to the roster and he rarely ever, played and he embraced that. Role but he didn't do that for. Nothing i'm SURE i don't think he came To louisville with the you, know with with the agreement of, YEAH i want no nil. Money whenever clearly he could go elsewhere and get. Money so if there is you, know some, RESISTANCE i, mean just you, know put it this, way IF i, said, Hey, Austin i'm gonna let you know right, now we are going to have to recruit over, You we're just we're really needing a specific guy to come in and fill that. Role that's that's more, experienced that's from the. Portal we we wish it would have worked out, best but we think you probably would be better suited to also portal and maybe find the new spot and we'll be able to help you along the way if we need. To and If austin responded with you that's, OKAY i don't mind riding the. Bench, well then IF i, said, okay well that's, fine but you get no innil, money that would probably incentivize you to, say, okay WELL i am going to, leave you know WHAT i? Mean Right, Like that's just so taking a taking a chance on a kid is really there's not a whole lot of risk on it because if it doesn't work, out that scholarship can be can be available and you, know just the next year if you need. To and by the, Way i'd never recruit over you, ever you're. Safe Thank, yeah the il deal is going to be a good situation for. You it's just Free. Thornton's that's a pretty good, deal is it. Not, yes that's the best, deal the best deal they could. OFFER i, think at, least you, know in my. Mind all, Right SO i mentioned this at the beginning of the. Show we've got some more storms coming our way this, evening And woky our partners over there At channel thirty two w oka Why they've put together something THAT i believe is more needed than you might. Expect and that is a great very you, know this is basically a breakdown for dummies as far as what is truly you, know the warnings like warning and. Watch do you know how many people get confused about tornado warning and tornado watch as far as like which one is more?
Speaker 3: Severe it wouldn't shock me if there is a lot of people that just get that.
Speaker 4: Connunce, yeah they get, it they get it.
Speaker 3: CONFUSED i GUESS i really don't, know BUT i would assume that the tornado warning is worse.
Speaker 4: So a watch. Is and this is, again this is that this is the Reason i'm bringing this up is because they just put out an update reminding people that the THEN aa weather radio service is offline this week and it'll be basically you're not going to get those prompts on the radio this week if there's severe storms in your area because they're doing mandatory upgrades of the system which are needed in a major. Way so this is a major resource for how they let people know that there are severe weather watches and warnings across the. Region so they're just they're using their platform to let people. Know if you're somebody that just waits to hear it on your radio dial that it's, severe don't do that because it won't be coming, however because there's because there's no. Update so that's something that people should know. About but when looking at this report they just put, out it does give a nice. Breakdown it's a severe weather god from the one and ONLY J cardosi OF woky and a watch is not as severe as a, Warning so the duration of a watch can be several. Hours the duration of a warning can be twenty minutes to one. Hour the coverage area for a watch is portions of. States the coverage area for warnings or portions of. Counties advanced notice for a watch is hours advanced notice for a warning is. Minutes the action you should take for a watch is have a. Plan the action you should take for a warning is take. Cover. That that may sound, really really obvious to a lot of, people people who may have known that for as long as they can, remember But i'm telling you there's probably more people out there than you realize that get. Confused, okay wait a. Second If i'm, watching DO i need to watch out?
Speaker 2: For? It is the?
Speaker 4: Warning, like, hey, warning there could be a watch coming. AGAIN i know it sounds stupid to some, people BUT i know many that have oftentimes got the two. Confused AND i, MEAN i don't know of it ever causing any type of disaster to where you've you, know it's put you in, Danger but when you have a tornado in your state that has killed nineteen, PEOPLE i, MEAN i think people need to know this. Stuff and if there's one person listening That i've somehow helped get that thing cleared, up THEN i feel Like i've at least helped in some. Way so, AGAIN i don't know exactly what type of severity we're going to see this, evening but stay, safe. Everybody all, right let's do this let's take a quick. Break we'll come back on the other side and bring him. In he's Doctor eric McElroy from Pro Rehaf Physical. Therapy looking forward to catching up with, him and we'll keep this thing rolling, along taking you up till six o'clock right here On Sports talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety now back To coffee And company fueled By thornton's On Sports talk seven nine.
Speaker 4: Day that's, right It's coffee And Company phil By thornton's here On Sports talk seven. Ninety thanks for hanging out with us as we'd take you up until six. O'clock are is he already?
Speaker 2: On?
Speaker 4: Austin it looks like he's already. ON i don't. KNOW i Don't, YES i got him. On, SORRY i think you all were both both on the air that. Time so my b it's, okay we like to get people some behind the. Scenes well let me give him a better. Introduction, yeah there we. Go it's Doctor eric, McElroy pro Rehap Physical. Therapy. Yeah so hopefully you guys didn't say any curse. WORDS i know you. DIDN'T i know you. Wouldn't but, anyway Is eric good to have you back? On my? Man how was how's life?
Speaker 5: Been it's been, great, MAN i can't come playing. Busy you, know we're in the uh we're a little ahead of, YOU i, Think, uh but we're like uber drivers driving our kids the sports all the time and unpaid uber drivers and then, uh you, know out of town at soccer tournaments and basketball or. Whatever so, uh it's. AWESOME i love it, though you, know as exhausting as in AS i love everything ounce of. It so that's. Good.
Speaker 4: Yep at least four four of my days throughout the week or are they include baseball and, uh you know soon it'll be football again and then basketball and you, know without even realizing that that's not my, life but it's it's it's fun, stuff AND i Know i'll miss it one day, whenever, uh whenever it's. Gone so glad to hear things are going well with. You there's a few injuries THAT i wanted to to to chat with you. About one is is is not a recent, injury but it led to a retirement decision From Derek carr that obviously Put Tyler shuck in a situation where he may be able to play pretty early for The New Orleans. Saints but with cars, injury it stems from him having an issue with his, shoulder and the decision to retire was essentially because he didn't want to have the surgery that was. Needed so is a laborl, tear rotator cuff damage and his right throwing. Shoulder it sounds like he went through non surgical, treatments including different. INJECTIONS i know he did a lot of rehabit sounds, like but it didn't Get he didn't get the results THAT i guess he, wanted and he was told that surgery was going to be the only way he could get out there and play. AGAIN i just get you, KNOW i know every situation is, different as we've discussed many, times but whenever he's going through those non surgical you, know treatments and trying to basically get healthy without the, surgery is that more so just trying to just see if he can heal on its, own or is he just trying to buy time? There you?
Speaker 2: Think DO i think he's.
Speaker 5: Trying to buy? TIME i, mean the complexity of the surgery was going to put him out substantial length of, time and then, you're you, know you're looking at the guy on the obviously tail end of his career already probably lost, velocity uh in. Accuracy and then you add into the fact that you're gonna have to sit out as long as he has eat into next seat or as long as he need to eating next, season especially if he's got rotator cuff damage they're going to have to. REPAIR i think he's taking that all. In when you're doing the rehab, process sometimes you can get them. Back you'd be surprised that what we can do to get people back if you were to see it just on the, image and you'd be, like no. Way but there's a lot of you, know first of, all the human body is an amazing thing. Too you know when you're when you're working with what we call synergistic muscle, Groups so you're basically trying to, say, right you know what to we utilize it does a similar? Thing is the area that's damaged and and then how can we incorporate that and into the rehab, process into the performance side of things so they can still perform at the level they need to given the trauma to whatever. Area let's say we'll say the rotator cuff in this, case it sounds like that it was too far gone and and you, know maybe he can function and move around and do the things he wants to. Do but there's a big difference between doing that or even throwing a football with a, kid as there is getting out there in AN nfl game and having to throw the football like he's gonna need. To and you, KNOW i think when you when you look at all those, variables and to be, honest there's no guarantee he's gonna come back from that and and still be the, SAME i, mean and still be able to do the things he. Wants AND i think that's probably another conversation he's been, having Is i'm gonna go through all, this go through the rehab process, again even more challenging than What i've been doing in a lot of, ways and there's no, guarantee uh That i'm gonna be Where i've been before this injury. Happened you, know it's probably, like all, right that's. TIME i don't you, Know I'M i don't have the the grind anymore to go through. That AND i think THAT'S i respect, that. SURE i, MEAN i THINK i respect you know that these guys at the end of their, career it's, like you, know it's not worth it to me.
Speaker 4: Anymore, know, Yeah AND i think, again if you, know you, know and it probably wasn't an easy thing to. Do but if you feel fulfilled in your career and you as you, mentioned you look at that rough that tough road ahead as far as, rehabbing and knowing that you still couldn't even maybe be back to the same, GUY i, MEAN i don't think the decision is really that. Surprising but another thing is if you're going, through if you're just gonna try to play and get the injections and, REHAB i, mean you might be able to fight through the, pain but you also might, know, Yeah i'm still nowhere near the QUARTERBACK i need to be to have, success and that's probably a tough thing to. Realize but, again if you, know you, know so, uh you know that that decision certainly will hopefully bode well For Tyler shuck and it gives him a chance to play right.
Speaker 5: Away it put him in a great, opportunity and, honestly you, know he could Probably i'm Sure Darren carr is, like, HEY i can be around and be a resource for. YOU i, MEAN i think that's probably the one. THING i, Mean i'd hate to see him just walk from the team and Then Tyler shuck not have kind of a veteran there to be able to pick his, brain but you, know it is what it. Is he's pretty much a vetch and at this, point, yeah it's a great opportunity for him to just step in and hopefully get that, spot.
Speaker 4: No doubt about. It Doctor eric, mclroys our, guest you're joining us from pro reap physical. THERAPY a big injury in THE nba that was really devastating last week As Jason. Tatum it seems as if those who watched it knew right away that it looked like An achilles, situation and that's exactly what it, was a Ruptured achilles. Tendon he had surgery right. AFTER i know The achilles injuries have come up quite a bit in our conversations over the. Years what do you expect when it comes to the rehab process? Here obviously he's expected to miss all of next, season WHICH i think is pretty pretty standard as far as the amount of. Time but from from now and when would when would those working With Jayson, tatum one of the best basketball players on the, planet, like what's the timeline for, actually you, know putting weight on that foot and you, know just baby steps as far as trying to kind of start the rehab, process because this is one that clearly it's still one of the injuries that is rather. COMMON i, mean it doesn't happen every, day but it's not uncommon to see in, basketball and it'll put you on the shelf for quite a.
Speaker 5: While, YEAH i, mean it's, uh it's one of the more challenging things to come back. From we've talked about this. Before you know that the tele attendon ruptures or quad tendon ruptures or or two of the probably hardest things to come back from because you've got to give the tendon time to heal and and if you start to contract that muscle too, soon it's gonna pull on the. Tendon and what what what we don't want to happen is it stresses the even though it may not quote unquote rerupture pull, apart it'll stretch too. Far and then if you could think about just, levers you have kind of a loose lever and that doesn't correlate to explosive you, know, explosiveness much less being able to power through. Walking even, so there's that it's really fragile early on when they do that repairs in a general. WAY i mean everything's a little. Different some sometimeframes are a little, loose but you, know generally, speaking that first six weeks he's not doing, anything probably not way bearing uh in a food protecting the surgical. Repair depending on the repair and the severity of, it you, know you may start getting you, know getting around in your. Boot, uh but you're gonna keep it in the boot where the heel is, elevated so that way the tendon has this opportunity to so there's wedges in the boot to keep his you, know heel above his, toes if you. Will and then that way that tendon has the best opportunity to heal down because what you want is the tendon to have obviously to be able to have a lot of tension in, it so that way it'll be a, spring it'll it'll pre over produced. Power so that's what they're gonna do in the next you don't, know four weeks ish, uh and then you start transitioning out of the. Boot he's already started the rehab process at that. Point. Uh and then you, know early on you're just trying to make sure that the decisions are healing, well, uh the mobility is coming back to a reasonable. Level make sure they don't get it what's caught a contractor they don't get stuck with their toes pointed, down and then you, know you start. Transit you also start working on everything. Else so you, know for an athlete, especially you want to you don't want him to, fall you, know too far behind as far as this, can conditioning and whatnot, goes even though then they may have the off season doesn't. Matter so you're working on strength in other areas because you, know being non weight bearing for a short period of, time you could surprise how weak you get just in that whole up extremity for, instance that whole. Leg and then you, know working on you know. Whatever you can do all kinds of different things and be, creative but you're basically trying to keep them, moving get them, moving get other areas, strong make sure that they're not too, sedentary and then start integrating, in you, know gradually more for recisteans as far as weight bearing walking obviously you, know, strength, agility all that kind of stuff starts to come over the next several.
Speaker 4: Months ANOTHER nba injury that is still it doesn't impact the postseason moving forward because The nuggets did. Lose BUT i was surprised to see the reporting prior To game seven On sunday That Aaron gordon of The nuggets he had had a hamstring. It it was listed as A grade two level hamstring, strain and from WHAT i could, tell it looks like a pretty significant injury that that typically would take some time to. Recover, however he. Did he chose to play In game. Seven he played had eight points eleven boards in twenty five. Minutes it later came out That Nikola jokic advised him not to play just because he realized that he would be in a lot of pain AND i guess could further injure. HIMSELF i guess my, question first, off when you hear of a guy that had a grade level to A grade two left hamstring, STRAIN i guess there can be different you, KNOW i guess there's different levels to. That although it does say great. TOO i, mean the fact that he did play was that was that? Surprising because it did come out after the fact that some folks were saying that maybe there should be better protocols in place to protect players from making that. Decision it got me back to a conversation we've had, before is if there's medical folks telling a guy he can't, go can they can they actually tell him, no you're not allowed to play? It it seems like he wanted to play and there was he wasn't going to take no for an. Answer what was this?
Speaker 5: Line eight?
Speaker 4: Points, yeah he had eight points and eleven boards in twenty five, minutes and he was. Relective yeah he.
Speaker 5: WAS i, mean you, KNOW i don't, Know i'm a real you, know, like look, great two strain is pretty. Significant, uh usually it's self, limiting, right he can't even get out and do.
Speaker 4: Anything, YEAH i mean they acted before the game that there was no chance he'd ever be able to play at, all and then it was out there.
Speaker 5: Starting so what that what that tells me is and this is WHERE i could really nerd out and gotta be careful right, there go for. It we could go on forever about, this but you, know we have to remember that this is these muscles are, cylinders, like they're not, flat, Right so he could have been very fortunate and that the majority of the tear was in a way that it allowed other muscles to almost take the load off of it right, now that makes. Sense stressed as much as part of the. Other you, know your hamstrings are three separate, muscles and they just call the group of them the. Hamstrings so if it's one of them in, particular that and it may have been a certain part of the, Muscle so it could be closer to the. Hip it goes from your hip to below your. Knee it could be closer to the knee where even though it was the significant, strain meaning that about fifty percent of that portion of the muscle was, torn it may not been significant enough of where it is and where it was. Located then it impacted his ability to. Perform so that's why you don't base it off just imaging or just the. Injury you based off all, right given WHAT i, have what is he able to? Do and if he's out there in practice moving around and doing well and pain being the biggest, issue which is all these guys are in, pain but he can, perform Then i'm good with him. Playing you, KNOW i think that in some. Ways you, know it's just what if he tears it, More so he tears it, more you, know it's NOT i hate to say. It it's our job to give the best advice you possibly, can and whether they take that. Advice, now it's a performance issue at some, point Like i'm going to go to the coach and that he's not going to be doing very. Well, yeah but if he's looking good in practice and he's able to do move, around AND i test him in all the different ways we need to test, him like he's kicking the, boxes then why WOULD i hold him?
Speaker 1: Out?
Speaker 5: Uh and you, know and especially in a playoff. SITUATION i mean if it was a regular season, game it's a no. Brainer it's a playoff because, like you, know let's see what he. Does the worst case, scenario he can't do it and he got pulled. Out so it's different than he can't make a decision for. Himself he's concustour really. Bad he doesn't even know where he's. At that's a, difference you, know the. Circumstance, sure but he still wants to go. In you, know it's it's all, About, hey let's see how he's, doing how he's. Moving is there a, Risk, absolutely there's a, Risk but you, know if he's checking the, boxes THEN i don't have any reason why to keep them.
Speaker 4: Out have you had experiences with that in your career with an athlete that really kind of just didn't didn't want to hear anything anybody was saying about needing to take some time off to get to get, recovered and it's not worth it because you could further injure. YOURSELF i, MEAN i would imagine that's not that uncommon all the.
Speaker 5: Time And, nick you, know the hardest ones are high school.
Speaker 4: Kids, yeah and that makes. Sense i'm not that surprised by.
Speaker 5: That the hardest athletes to treat our high school. Athletes and because they're hard, head they're, hardheaded pro is a pro, understand they're getting, paid they know what it means to perform at the top. Level bill take. Right a college, ATHLETE i hate to say it this. Way they're not, dumb like academically, dumb but they're they're there to just be told what to, do so they generally. Do they're like the. Military you tell them to do, it they're gonna do. It uh you tell you, know high, school the fear pressure is, huge the parents are in, control.
Speaker 4: The fear of missing out on. Moments i'm sure as a part of, it too correct they never get.
Speaker 5: Back it's the whole social, network yep of. It you, know the pressures from your kids are your your peers or so it's the. Hardest the parents think they know more than than they, do and so you're kind of dealing with all these if the coaches think they know more than they, do the communication between us and the coaches are so. So the high school kids are the. Hardest So i'm just very real with. Them i'm, like you know, what seventy percent of you is not gonna take is not gonna cut. It that's all you Can, yeah, yeah you. Know i'm, like, hey, look you had seventy percent in very good. Man, Like i'm not saying that be it, mean not just saying like you're not gonna to be able to perform. Well and, also you, know the more we let this, go the longer you're gonna have to deal with. It the more we get it taken care of. You if you believe in What i'm, DOING i have no incentive to keep you. Out that's the. CONVERSATION i have have zero incentive to keep you. Out i'm doing this to protect, you AND i tell the parents the same, thing by the, way But i'm also going to do it the right. Way because you are young and, developing and we need to make sure when you go back that you're going back at the level that's expected and not just the level you, know you just think you're going, back and so being out there isn't going to cut. It so that's you, know and you're at risk for other. Injuries and they don't understand that, either and SO i think that that's you, know those are things those understand. That, yeah they get.
Speaker 4: It it's one of those things Where i'm hearing you say this And i'm, like, yeah that makes obvious. Sense but Then i'm thinking about trying to hear that from a from a sixteen or fifteen year old kid's, perspective with again just not thinking about anything other than just not don't. Care i'm gonna get out. THERE i got to. Play and, yeah you're saying things that you would just assume people will. Know, hey you have no incentive to keep somebody. Out you're not hopeful that they miss out on these, moments but you know you're doing your job and you've got to be real with, them and they're probably just it's probably going in one air and out the other with some of. Them i'm sure most of the.
Speaker 5: Time you, know you got to build a, trust, Right, yeah it's like, anything and you get their trust and they know that you're and you, know you got to give them a. Leash you got to give them a little you got to give them some. Wins you, know athletes don't want you to tell them they can't do, anything you, know and the anxiety that comes around that's not.
Speaker 4: Working, yeah that'd be a pretty defeated situation to be in if there's not those little wins along the way.
Speaker 5: Exactly, so, hey let's do, this let's let's get you to, practice let's do these. Things these are your, limitations but this is what you can. Do and, really when you're getting an athlete back to, sport you want to have them at their max. Threshold that, way you're closing the gap quicker when they're ready to go. PLAY i think some of my colleagues that may not be in that world enough cut people back too, far and then when you go to try to close the gap to get them, back there's too big of a, jump and then they may be at risk for a. Setbacks so my the WAY i said it, IS i, said where are they at right, now and what's, sir maximum threshold THAT i know they're, safe and THEN i keep raising that threshold so that way when we're time to get back to return to, practice return to, play and turn to. Performance that's kind of the levels you go. Through then you know we're we're right there and the kid and then the athletes can taste, it they can see, it they know that there's a process and it's not just they're holding me out because you want to be a jerk or want to be in.
Speaker 4: Control it's almost like a new, competition, right it's a. Process it's almost like in you, know developing your, game you're developing the recovery. Process now it makes makes total. Sense that's good. Stuff i've never really thought about. That but the high school, LEVEL i can see it being a much different thing than than college kids and pros as. Well so good stuff is Always.
Speaker 5: Nick be honest with. You IF i have a, pro sorry real. Quickly if you have a, pro they come in every, day. Right IF i have a college, athlete they're in the training, room they're working out every. Day so what happens is as a, kid, right there's a. Copay it's expensive sometimes for you, know depending on the plan they have other activities and. Obligations their parents are.
Speaker 4: Working, yeah they don't have a ride or.
Speaker 5: Something i'm, right twice or three times a week if we're. Lucky but the expectation on, us which is, fine the. Same So i'm, like, whoa, well who don't compare yourself To lebron or To tatum coming back from his because he's in. It he's working every. DAY i saw you twice last.
Speaker 4: Week, yeah that makes.
Speaker 5: Sense and you didn't do WHAT i told you to do, that you, know so uh, huh you have to and we have to be real because that's what they, think you. Know and then they's you, know parents will, say well what about this. Guy i'm, like you're comparing him to a pro a full grown. Man you. Know this kid's fifteen.
Speaker 4: Whose job is to to every day make sure he's prioritizing. Recovery whereas a kid's got, school he's got other things going. On, yeah different. World eric is always appreciate the. Time great to catch up with. You we will do it again, soon my.
Speaker 5: Friend, Awesome, nick have it going, man all?
Speaker 4: Right take. Care that's Doctor eric, McElroy prori Ephiscal. Therapy always always appreciate his, time good conversation. THERE i always learned during those, conversations and that's one that is does make total. Sense BUT i never really considered how much different it would. Be you, know the objective is always the same if it's a if it's a college, player if it's a, kid you want to get him, healthy you want to get back out. There but, man the process can be vastly. Different as you heard there from doctor, McElroy quick break will come, back keep this thing rolling. Along it's coffee And. Company field By thornton's right here On Sports talk seven ninety