Speaker 1: It's nice eyes with Dan Ray. I'm going Razy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: Thanks very much, Madison. My name is Dan Ray, the aforementioned Dan Ray, the host of Knights I with Dan Ray, and I am delighted to be here as I am always here most every night from eight to midnight, Monday through Friday. Rob Brooks is back in the control room ready to begin to take your phone calls during the nine o'clock hour. But during this hour, as always, we interview four really interesting guests on four interesting topics, and we will begin that process forthwith like to welcome a name that is very familiar, I think to most everyone in our audience. Christopher Knight, a former member of the Brady Bunch, but more importantly for tonight's purpose, host of this year's Casino Night, fifteenth annual Casino Knight of the great program called Journey Forward. Christopher Knight, Welcome. How are you, sir, Good evening, Dan.
Speaker 3: I am well, thank you.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you I know that you've done a lot of great work. But everybody associates you with the Brady Bunch. Does a day ever go by when someone doesn't look at you and give you one of those aren't you or didn't you used to be?
Speaker 4: Probably not.
Speaker 3: I think sometimes I haven't noticed it, so I'm guessing that it's happened out of review. Yeah, you know, my blessing is my curse exactly.
Speaker 1: It struck.
Speaker 3: It struck early, but it glows warmly forever, and it places me in a privileged position with the audience out there and that were it's kind of transcended entertainment and it's a representative now of family, of American family and our ideal idea of what that is when it functions.
Speaker 2: Well, well, you have you kept your head on your shoulders. It's funny I get to talk every once in a while with well known actors or athletes or celebrities. I'm simply a guy who worked in television here in Boston and now who is in the mediocre for twilight career. The twilight of a mediocre career, I should say. But I've gotten interview from people, and the thing that's really amazing, and I think you fit that category. Just listening to you for a minute is how down to worth people who you don't think would be down to earth are because of what they might have been gifted with early on I recently had Pat Boone on who's now he's like ninety two years old, Sharpest Attack and he's involved in doing charity work in Africa. You just it's amazing how people can take their blessings and carry forward. But tonight we're not going to talk about Carrie Ford. We're going to talk about Journey Forward. I'm very familiar with the Cummings family. I've done some stories with them, both on television and radio, and you are the headliner. This is not your first year doing this, as I understand the correct.
Speaker 3: You know, no, it's not. It's fifteen years now, but over seventeen because we missed two years during COVID, so that brings us back to two thousand and eight.
Speaker 5: When was our first benefit. I believe we called the Casino Knight. It wasn't at Kings in Denham. I don't know exactly when we began to have our casino Nights in Denham, but it's been prohops ten years or longer now.
Speaker 2: I'll bet you it might have been at what was Moseley's on the Charles.
Speaker 3: That sounds familiar. But now you're taxing my No.
Speaker 2: No, I understand, I said. The reason is that is that when I was in television back in Well, I was in television from the seventies through the two thousands. I used to go to the events with them. They're wonderful family. Obviously struck by a horrific diving accident. By that one of the members of the Cummings family was struck. But they have turned this into a positive and so Dan is a remarkable story.
Speaker 3: It's Dan coming, the youngest of the plant who unfortunately at nineteen I believe it was summer, Yeah, what years was I don't know. We dived into a pond and it wasn't very deep. Unfortunately, it was night, it was dark, and he nearly drowned, and he was immediately diagnosed as a THESIX quadriplegic, a dependent quadruple. Yeah, and that's tragic. But Dan has turned that tragedy into a triumph with a sort of a special kind of courage.
Speaker 2: That fair we're really we're really familiar with it. Also, you know Matt Brown, who is a high school hockey player who you may have met along the way, who had done some things with Matt at the age of fifteen, he's done now in his early thirties, and has lived longer in a wheelchair than he did, you know as a boy. Yeah, you know, it's just incredible stories. And no matter how bad a day I might have, you always think about how lucky you are. And we don't think about that as much, however, Is.
Speaker 3: That's the true?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I do.
Speaker 3: How quickly it can be taken away in.
Speaker 2: A moment, And I remember hearing the story. I was introduced to the Cummings family through a mutual friend named a fella named Don Johnson, Not the actor Don Johnson, another Don Johnson, businessman here, so you will be there. Let's talk about the specifics. This is going to be a week from excuse me, this is this Thursday. Tonight's the twentieth. This is two nights from now, two nights, two nights from now, Thursday, May twenty second, from six to eleven. It's going to be a key six hundred Legacy Place. Everybody in New England knows where Legacy Place is in Debdam, Massachusetts. Uh, and it's it's it's gonna be just a great event.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: There's all sorts of sponsorship activity options. There's all sorts of tickets that that can be bought. Uh. You guys are going to raise a lot of money for a great cause. The The website is simply journey hyphenfward dot org.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: That's going to get you to this. You'll be there. I assume you're You're going to be accessible and people are gonna get a chance to come up and and take a picture with you.
Speaker 3: I hope absolutely. At this point, I am a life size collectible. So yes, I lerics to photographics whomever wants a photo, uh and uh, just to rotate through the crowd and try to conduct although I do very little conducting the evening because it's it's just a bunch of fun.
Speaker 1: We play.
Speaker 3: Know there's there's gambling with funny money and raffles and.
Speaker 5: Memorabilia uh that'll be auctioned off raft the tickets supporting that. It's important to note that tickets are available on the website. They are also available at.
Speaker 3: The door on Thursday night at six o'clock. I believe the door is open at.
Speaker 5: Six and we would love to see as many people they're supporting a Journey Forward because this is a a local Canton outfit started by Dan Cummings for the benefit of those enduring paralysis or spinal cord uh trauma or issues.
Speaker 2: Journey forward bettering lives of those with paralysis. Let me let me ask you real quickly, Christopher. I know that you obviously are involved in charitable activities, but what else are you doing these days? My understanding is that you're living a very busy life, and I just want to give you a chance for people to catch up with what what do you How are you besides doing this charitable work? What else are you doing?
Speaker 3: You know, like a rolling stone, I've gathered no month because I have my hands in too many fires. Perhaps I you know, segued out of entertainment boy. That would have been late eighties, and I found myself in the high tech space. I did retire from that in the early two thousands. I found myself living in Silicon Valley, but decided i'd re up and re entered the entertainment industry again, moving back down to LA or moving back home to LA because I had really just rented everything out and with the idea that I needed to figure out how to be in the entertainment industry while pursuing other interests. Business interest. To me, it's sort of like I need I need both and Luckily, a number of years later, was offered an opportunity by a past business partner, good friend to become a brand in the furniture space, and Christopher Knight Home was the result. And now what do we have? Fourteen years in to Christopher Night Home and we're one of the largest brands online. It is a online only brand. We're hoping sometime in the near term to also become a retail brand.
Speaker 5: But it's a.
Speaker 3: Tremendous success story that I'm very lucky to have said yes to. I guess my advice to anyone out there is opportunities come along, and by saying no, there is no opportunity, by saying you'd never know where even when you doubt that there could be anything that comes from it. I am you know, I'm amazed by how my life has turned out. It's not by plan, it's but somehow I'm being rewarded, perhaps for a path life I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you what you'll be rewarded for. You've been rewarded for all the good things that you've done along the way. And I think that I think, I think that's absolutely true, Okay, and I have it. I think there's a big being up there that kind of runs the show. But whether it's faith, kismick, karma, or whatever you want, you surround yourself with good things and good things will happen. So Christopher Knight home, okay people.
Speaker 3: Oh, I've been dealing with that and recently I started a production company, former Prodigy, Inc. And we're working on our next project. First product was a documentary on It was called True Love the Film.
Speaker 5: And it documents this wonderful personality, this young lady with william syndrome, and it brought awareness to Williams. An award winning documentary our first production. We're moving off now into scripted endeavors and hope to be placing in front of our audience out there for more producty project in the future.
Speaker 2: Well, boy, I tell you, get a busy lifestyle and that's that's the way to stay sharp. Christopher Knight, thank you so much. Really enjoyed chatting with you. If I wasn't on air Thursday night, I'd be standing over there trying to get a selfie with you. But thanks for I'd be there in spirit, that's for sure. And please say hi to the Cummings family and particularly Dan kits, so I share it. Thank you, we share the first name. Thanks so much, Christopher, and thanks for the good work you do. Christopher Knight, Ladies and gentlemen, Casino Knight on to benefit, Journey Forward bettering lives of those with paralysis, and the website Real Simple Journey hyphen Forward dot org. That will be a great night. Hope you can join them when we get back. We're going to talk about another project which I think will be interesting. I'm going to find out and you will as well, the derivation of a Michelin Star or a Michelin Star restaurant. We got an We have an interesting set of guests in this hour, so stay with us. My name's Dan Ray. This is Nightside and we will journey forward right after this quick break on Nightside.
Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on w B Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Delighted to be joined by Will Gilson. He is the chef and owner of Cambridge Street Hospitality Group. He grew up in a New England farm and from there years of culinary expertise. He serves award winning food to guests. I want to welcome Will Gilson to the to Nightside. How are you tonight.
Speaker 5: Will I'm doing all right.
Speaker 1: How are you, Dan, I'm doing just great.
Speaker 2: I've heard the term, and I'm sure most of ours have heard the term a Michelin restaurant and Michelin stars, And I don't know. I know a lot about food. I mean, I like food, but I always associate the word Michelin with those four things on the bottom of my car tires. How did we get from Michelin tires to Michelin stars at top notch restaurants, restaurants that you've been associated.
Speaker 5: With, you know amazingly enough, the fact that you know Michelin is a European thing. Uh, it actually is a very American kind of thing if you think about it. Of the goal was to try to create a guide of different places that you could drive to so you'd actually use your tires more. And then that was the entire that's the entire reason why there was a Michelin Guide to start down there.
Speaker 2: You're not making you're not making that up. That is that's oh okay, all the sense in the world. And so Michelin Guide is coming to Boston. I'm assuming that a lot of restaurants are either going to be really excited or really nervous tell us about it.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I think the thing that's crazy about Michelin coming to Boston is that so many of us for so long thought that that was not something that was going to be coming here. I mean, many of us who have restaurants here believe that Boston is a world class city, understand that it's one of the first cities in America. But it's also you know, the type of place where, you know, we don't always associate with sort of glitz and glamour and sort of this higher end, you know, echelon of what Michelin has been known, and now that it's here, I think it's actually something really great to give Boston something to shoot towards.
Speaker 2: So, so, is this the sort of thing where people come into it to the restaurants You've got great restaurants, as I understand that all the restaurants that I see associated with your name are great restaurants. Do they come in undercover or do you know they're there? How does how does this game work? And I don't know if I should use the word game, but obviously there's a little competition going on here. I think. Yeah.
Speaker 5: So, I mean, as we have been told. Michelin inspectors are already sort of been dispatched to the city to start going around and seeing where the best places are in the city and how to you know, figure out whether or not they meet the criteria of the guide, and the criteria that they've told us so far is it really is all about the food. It's about the quality of the food. It's about how impressive the food is, but also the chef's interpretation of their vision and their food on the plate. And that is really kind of the only criteria that we've had. You know, I spend some time in Europe and working in Michelin places, and there it was about everything. To get to a three Michelin star, it had to be spotless, the service.
Speaker 1: Had to be impeccable.
Speaker 5: There couldn't be a speck of dirt on a single bit of silverware. But as they've come to you know, the States, I think that they're starting to help, you know, us understand what the benefits of the guide can be, and that is to really help people find the best restaurants in the city that they are travel one too.
Speaker 2: You know, I got to tell you, and I probably shouldn't say this, but I will, and I think, I hope you understand. When I go to new restaurants, one of the things that I judge a new restaurant on is how clean is the restroom? And now you probably think I'm crazy when I say that to you. Maybe I am, But I feel if the restaurant make sure the restroom is clean and presentable and people can be comfortable there, that the dining experience is sure to follow. Am I nuts when I suggest.
Speaker 3: That, No, of course not.
Speaker 5: I mean I think that a restroom is perfectly representative of whether or not a restaurant cares about the cleanliness of everything top to bottom. And I bet that that's the same type of criteria that despite the fact that we are hearing that it's you know, what's on the plate in front of the inspector, That is the type of stuff that someone will go, you know, have an amazing meal, everything's be perfect, and then they go into the bathroom and they're just wadded up toilet paper all over the floor and it looks like it has been cleaned in a month. Of course they're going to, you know, give you a couple of knocks on that. But I think, you know, will I'm delighted.
Speaker 2: That you that you that you backed me up with that, because I've had friends of mine I've said that to that they look at me like you're nuts. You know, I could care us. That's good, that's good to know. So when will this more importantly, when will this guide appear? And even more importantly, when will the restaurants that you're involved with and other great you know, chefs and owners are involved with, when will they know what the Guide's going to say.
Speaker 5: So, what I've been told, and I don't know if I'm speaking out of turn here, is that this fall we are going to see h the guide come out, which is very very quick. I think it's a quick turnaround. And I think that this is, you know, going to be one of those things where it's going to divide a lot of us in this community. I think it's going to be the folks in the restaurant community, some of which won't be included, will feel hurt, you know, and I think some folks who are included will feel emboldened. And I think that there's going to be a group of us in the middle who maybe we didn't make this round, but we're going to look at this as like maybe we should start changing the way that we do things a little bit to be able to give ourselves some greater aspirations, find some sort of way that we can really make sure that we are representing this city the best way that we can to the people that are visiting. You know, listen, everything is changing quickly. It's been five years since the COVID pandemic and we're still feeling the effects of that. But on top of that, with everything that's happening right now, we're seeing people who don't want to travel to the United States. It's really saying that they don't want to travel to the United States. And these are people who we rely on their tourism dollars. These are people that we rely on their patronage dollars. And we can't keep relying on the folks that just live within, you know, however, many miles of where our businesses are. We need to make sure that whatever we are doing is a reason that when people are coming into town, they pick us. And if this helps us do that, then I think it's great for everyone.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's so well said. Just to give a plug to some of the restaurants that are involved in the Cambridge Street Hospitality Group makes if I hope I get these right, Puritan and Company, Puritan, Oyster Bar, Gippetto and the Lexington, amongst others. And if there's a couple more you'd like to mention, feel free because you've been a great guest.
Speaker 5: Well, hey, I'm just happy. Hopefully everybody can come by and check out what we do. Go to our website www dot Ecambridge dot com and you'll find a list of all the restaurants that we operate. But thanks so much for having me, and it's been a pleasure to speak about Michelin.
Speaker 2: Well right back at your pleasure to I don't get a chance to talk to a lot of chefs. I talk to politicians, and I kind of like chefs better than politicians.
Speaker 5: I want you to know that, Thanks Will, we might just be a little bit more honest.
Speaker 2: I like that. I like that. Hey, we'll appreciate it. Love to have you back. Thanks again, and best of luck with the Michelin Star Guide. I think that you guys are going to rack up some great ratings. I know it, I just know it. Thanks so much, Thank you Bett, You're welcome. All right, here's the News at the bottom of the hour. My name is Dan Ray. And by the way, if you haven't gotten the iHeart app, go to your app store, Okay, on your phone or wherever you find it. Pull down the iHeart app, the new and improved iHeart App. As I keep telling friends of mine, pull that app down. And all of you are friends of mine, because when you pull that app down, you were going to be in touch with WBZ and with all the iHeart entertainment, but all of all of every one of the station's iHeart stations and all sorts of information. But you make WBZ your first preset, and you were only a fingertip away, a fingertip away, no matter where you are in the world. Okay, we get back on to get a little serious, a little bit more serious, and talk about Patriot Week for mass Fallen Heroes with Dan Magoon, the executive director of the Mass Fallen Heroes. Back on Nightside right after the News at the bottom of the.
Speaker 1: Hour, Side with Dan Ray ILLINGBZ, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: More little lineup change going on here sometime we do on night Side, and our next guest is doctor Tricia pas Richaw. She's a columnist for the Washington Post and an instructor in medicine at the Harvard Medical School and directs the Institute for Gut Brain Research at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Doctor push Richer, that is a very impressive resume. I read a lot of resumes, but that's that's a good one. How are you tonight?
Speaker 6: I'm doing very good. Thanks for having me, Dan.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you very much for being with us. And it's always great. I know that you're a Washington Post columnist, ask a doctor, but also I'm here at Boston based here. So what we're talking about is this is tough stuff. Colo. Rectal cancer is rising amongst young people. We're talking about people in their twenties and thirties and not quite sure why. What's what? Give us the big picture from thirty thousand feet, What's what's going on that this should not be happening.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, you're absolutely right. I mean, this is a trend that has been troubling scientists for decades. So we have known that correctal cancer rates they've been declining amongst US adults over the age of fifties since the nineteen eighties. But for people who are younger, younger adults in their twenties, thirties, forties, that trend has been going in the wrong direction. And I want to be clear that the overall numbers of people who are getting colorectal cancer under the age of fifty are still relatively low, but the trend is very worrisome, and so there's a lot of research that's been going on to try to understand why that can be. And as you know, we can all imagine a lot has changed in the last several decades in terms of our lifestyle to start there, in terms of how sedentary we've become, in terms of our diet, so a lot of scientists have been looking into what could be something to do with our diet that you're eating world or process foods, the less fiber. But an interesting news that it just came out in Nature, and that's what I wrote about for the Washington Post. That offered us a new clue.
Speaker 2: And I think that new clue dealings were dealing it deals with how children come into the world.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and so you know, I think what's worries theme to a lot of the scientists, myself included towards seeing colorful concerning where people is that you know, whatever is potentially causing this rise in cases, it probably for many people starts early in childhood. And so if we're talking about early childhood exposures, we start to think a lot more about the microbiome. All of our microbiomes can change over time, but they're really impressionable those first few years of life. And so what these scientists were looking at, and the study that came out in Nature just this year, was looking at a toxin called colabactin that's produced by certain strains of bacteria that live in our microbiome. And you know, I know we all have heard of that word microbiome, but the pic obiom in these trillions of bacteria that live in our colon and in some of the part we all get along with these bacteria. We need them actually to help us with digestion. But this toxin has been found to be far more common, about three point three times more common, or I should say, the mutations caused by this toxin in cases of corectal cancer that occur in younger people far more common compared to those who occur in adults. And so what it tells us is that there could be something that's changing in the microbiome of these people who are getting colorectal cancer at a younger age. And one of the sort of studies that even preceded this one found that col of actine ability to cause cancer can be blocked just by eating a high fiber diet. And so I think it sort of ties in a lot of different theories that scientists have been considering for years, which is to finish something in our diet, something in our childhood, and these studies sort of link all of these things together that maybe, at least for some cases, our childhood diet, particularly a low fiber diet, that's driving some of these numbers.
Speaker 2: I also thought in the piece that I read, there was some reference to children who were born cesarean section particularly, I think it was girls who were born cesarean section.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So you know, if I think diet is not the only thing, although it's an important thing that can really influence our microbiome, but probably, I mean the first thing that really plays a big role in the bacteria that colonizes us is how we're born. So there was a study that came out in twenty twenty three that looked at people who were born via cesareus section. For the girls, they had a greater odds of developing collective cancer at a younger age, so before the age of fifty, and for reasons that are not totally clear, that that same pattern didn't quite play out with boys. But scientists, do you have been doing some other studies that sort of appear to be maybe implicating sex hormones and how those influence of microbiomes which might confer a higher risk for girls. So we know, and so obviously you know when you're born, the moment you're born, that has nothing to do with your childhood diet, right, and so there are other factors that influence your microbiome. That's one of them. But then later on, you know, I think there are certain and obviously, you know, we have no control over how we're born. And obviously a lot of times that we get see sections, they're for entirely good, valid medical reasons and it has to happen. But we probably have a lot more control over our childhood diet and the diets that we eat currently now and what we're feeding our kids. And I think that's the part we have to really think hard about as a society, about how we can try to change Okay.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this. I'm a boomer. I'm a baby boomer. We ate chunk chunk in the sense that it was pepsi, whatever, Coca cola, candy, if there were fruit and vegetables, yeah, but not the emphasis so we've had this emphasis of the food pyramid has has changed. Should we go back to what we were eating? I realized it was probably a pretty small sample size. You know, some guy comes up for the Red Sox and it's two for five in September and he's a four hundred hitter. Well, you know, eventually it all kind of evens out. So this is a small sample size I guess that you're looking at. But it's serious. And is it possible that the diet that US boomers enjoyed at the fifties and sixties as kids was better?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, it's what you're what you're asking something, and I'm not, in.
Speaker 2: My opinion, is not to be a wise guy. We did, doctor. I really respect, but I just as you were thinking, I was thinking to myself, what was the stuff I ate? Oh? Man, go ahead, I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: I think you're making a really good point, which is that I think a lot of people are like you, and they say, you know, I I don't remember eating such profile like I wasn't eating kale salad every day. And then I don't think that that's even you know, what anyone can expect. But I will say, you know, if you look at the trend overall of the population, like you know, things have changed over the last few decades that I think everyone can sort of agree upon. The obesity epidemic has really taken off. That's changed. I think the amount of sedentary activity that younger people are engaging in with their smartphones, Netflix, sitting in front of the couch, that's changed. And I think people used to play outdoors a little more. I'm making big generalizations here because I think that's sort of the limit of our of what we can do. There's more to the story than just diet. So, for example, scientists do think that there are things in our environment, chemicals, microplastics, all of these things are implicated but haven't been proven yet as possibly being factors in it. The problem with all of these studies is that it's incredibly hard for scientists to ask, well, what happened in your childhood? Were the exposures that you had? Because for example, if I would ask you right now, well, like how many hours of sun did you get when you were four years old?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 6: Who could answer that question accurately?
Speaker 2: Right? Because they put you, they put you out of the house to go out and play.
Speaker 6: Well, you could probably yeah, I mean you could probably remember one. That's good thing. It's good to get out and play. But you know, it's hard to remember all of these specifics of our early childhood factor unless you designed to study then, like back in the night, you know, nineteen fifty, ninety, sixty ninety seven, and you really tracked kids as they grew up every year, took these service and there's very few surveys to studies that do that. And if you didn't ask the right questions, if you don't you know, to look for microplastics, for example, in the nineteen sixties, you're not going to have that data today.
Speaker 4: So it's nothing about that.
Speaker 2: You know, we played all of these politically incorrect games. We played Cowboys and Indians. We played more games the US against whatever country we wanted to pick a get we we've and we were out from from morning till till dusk. And well anyway, uh, I'm fascinated by this, and and it's you're you're doing great work here and and thanks for talking about this tonight. But Kale Salad nah never had that.
Speaker 6: Small changes, you know, make one small change at a time. But you have to be kale salad every day. Think about just swapping out one.
Speaker 2: I'm meaning more healthy today than I ever did in my life. To be really honest with you, Okay, I really am.
Speaker 6: I'm glad to hear that I.
Speaker 2: Lost thirty five pounds ten years ago. This very well, this very summertime in July. Haven't put upon wow ten I was weighing two of five. I'm now one seventy found awaken one to eighty weight loss. And it's one of my advertisers. But I so believe in what they taught me. Uh, it's it's incredible, Doctor Pastwucia. You are a great sport, you really are, and thanks for having me on.
Speaker 6: It's an important topic to talk about, so I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Well. I'll bet you people remember the conversation because they'll say that wise guy talk show host was I have more respect than you can imagine for the medical community. Thank you so much, Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Always my pleasure, take care.
Speaker 2: I'll have you too, all right. When we come back, we will be talking with Dan macgoon, the executive director of mass Fallen Heroes. Coming right back on Nightside.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: Well with us finally is Dan mcgoon. He's the executive director of the Massachusetts Fallen Heroes. This is a great organization, and let's first off, Dan, the history obviously starts with nine to eleven. Tell us about the group, and then we'll talk about what's coming up in the next few days. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Thanks Dan, that's great to be on night Side. It's funny. Before I get on the call, I was just thinking it's been ten years for the organization since we dedicated the mass and Harrows Memorial in the Seaport. I was just thinking back to where it all started. Like you said, this is the memorial that honors the Massachusetts men and women who gave their lives and service to the country since nine to eleven. So obviously, as we go through the week, that is something that's important to us, not only for the fallen but we as veterans too. It's a lot to think back on. And the thing that struck me is, I can't believe how much time has gone by just this last ten years of you know, what we've done to build the organization but also put that memorial on the ground, and obviously we get ready to rededicate it every year on Memorial Day.
Speaker 2: Well, I remember as a TV reporter being Humphry down at Logan Airport in the days following nine to eleven. And that's over twenty years ago. It's almost twenty five years ago, and it seems like yesterday in many respects, it does. How many people a memorial at the at at mess fallen Heroes.
Speaker 4: There's there's over three hundred. Yeah, there's over three hundred and seventeen. And and that number continues to grow because you know, we still do have service members who who are obviously not in combat, but are still in service to the nation.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And the memorial represents not only service members killed in action, but it also represents service members that that have died in service or in training and that that's been you know, something that obviously we've we've grappled with, you know, post withdrawal from Afghanistan, which which again you know, we're we're looking at as an organization of you know, what's next. You know, we don't know what's going to come down the pipeline, but uh, you know, it's it's it's at least we have the foundation and and and the programming in place to not only work with the gold Star families and the families that were left behind, but but also with the you know, with the veterans that that that are part of the organization as well.
Speaker 2: Now, my understanding is that there would be a one veteran of a veteran of Abby Gate, yes badly injured, who's going to be specifically honored tell us about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So, Tyler Vargus Andrews was one of the Marines who actually spotted the bomber that ultimately you know, blew him up and killed thirteen Americans during that horrible withdrawal that we went through in Afghanistan. And Tyler has been very outspoken, you know, he was he was the I would say, more of a whistleblower on on you know, bringing the true facts to light to our country. I mean, an incredible marine, an incredible sniper, but an unbelievable resilient warrior after you know, witnessing what he went through and getting to know him. You know, we've we've been fortunate enough to spend time with Tyler. We had him on a bison hunt in the fall, and obviously we got to get a little bit more connected, and we wanted to you know, continue to talk about Afghanistan without focusing on the negatives, but but honoring the sacrifice, says the men and women that have all served there. And it made sense to have Tyler come then and tell his story, but also the work that Tyler does in his recovery, with his resiliency and the work that he does to even support called Star families across the country. An unbelievable gentleman and warrior, and you know, we're glad to host him. He's been in Boston all week. He's over at the Red Sox game tonight, and he'll be at the gala as our honoree receiving the Dan Pedtatory Award. Dan PETTATORI was the first Massachusetts service member who was killed in Afghanistan after nine to eleven. So we'll honor Tyler. He'll give an unbelievable speech, and then he'll be speaking at the memorial rededication on Saturday, the twenty fourth, which is open to the public at ten am.
Speaker 2: No is Tyler a Massachusetts native.
Speaker 4: He is not.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 4: Tyler is born in northern California. He lives on the outskirts of DC now in Virginia, him and his fiance. But he's he's up here for like I said, he's been here for the week. He's participated in the Boston woned that run on sonback.
Speaker 2: And was he a sniper who had my understanding that that the the bomber they couldn't give the order to shoot that was Tyler.
Speaker 4: Tyler had him, and Tyler had him. Yeah, they didn't get he didn't get the order. He could have taken him out. And uh, you know, we've all followed what what should have happened or or what didn't happen with that withdrawal, But we.
Speaker 2: Lost we lost a service member in that group that day of the.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Johanni Zario from from not Sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my god. Yeah, I just just horrific when you think about it. So, Okay, so there are sponsorship opportunities. Let's let's get the website out first so people can go and look and get all of this information. Uh yeah, I appreciate that this week is really underway. I mean we're in the middle of the week right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we started, you know, Patriot Week. Like I said, it's it's been ten years, ten years since we launched Patriot Week, and the goal was to you know, run from Armed Forces Day through Memorial Day with programming that we can you know, continue to tell the stories and say the names, and you know, that's really what it's all about, and you know, bringing the veteran and goal start community together and obviously raising awareness and you know, making sure the public doesn't forget sacrifices and the wars that we fought in. I mean it's already you know, it's already old news. Some of these kids don't even know what we've been doing over the last twenty four years to your point earlier of you know, where we've gone since nine to eleven. So it's a big week for us in Patriot Week. You know, all the information can be found at both mass Fallen Heroes dot org and invet's dot org.
Speaker 2: As well spill intervets for me, so we get that mass Falling Heroes, I got dot org.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, invets is I N N O V E T S.
Speaker 2: Okay, So innovation like the Force four letters of innovation. I know the E T S. Dot Org. I'll tell you it's it's a great project we we have. You know, over the over the years, there were a lot of men and women who went to war for this country, and we as a as a nation did not appreciate their sacrifice. I'm thinking of not only the Vietnam veterans, but I think of the Korean veterans, uh and uh. At least out of this, I think most people understand that you have to always separate the warriors from the cause. And people may not have felt the cause was done properly or it was too political or not enough political or whatever, but the courage of the individuals who wore the uniform and assumed the the risk that their heroism can never be forgotten. And you just do such a great job on it. So, Dan, thanks so much for joining us tonight. And I know it's a busy we for you. We should have been publicizing this like two weeks ago. I wish next year, let's uh, let's get you on here earlier.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, I would love to thank you.
Speaker 2: Let's let's let's be proactive ahead of time. Okay, I'll talk to my premis about that. Yeah, thank you, Dan, appreciate it so much. We will talk again. Dan mcgoon, the executive director, the executive director of the Massachusetts Fallen Heroes massfallenheres dot org. Thank you, Dan Magoon, Thank you so much. Talk to you all right, we get back. We're going to talk with one of the Republicans running for governor. Brian Shortsleeve. Should be no stranger to most of us. He was a businessman, graduate of Harvard and Harvard Business School, and also he ran the MBTA for a while and did a really good job at it, believe it or not. Uh. And we're going to talk about what he would like to do if he could run the governor's office here in Massachusetts. So we'll be back if you want to talk to a to a genuine candidate for governor and someone who will take whatever questions you have. You know, the numbers were coming back on nightside right after the nine o'clock news. The numbers will remain as always six one, seven, two, five, four ten thirty and six one seven, nine three, one ten thirty. Back with Brian schwartsleeve right after the break