Speaker 1: You got a busy, busy weekend on this little radio station that extends through Monday nights. Monday night is the national championship game in college football. It's Notre Dame, it's Ohio State. You're gonna hear NFL playoff football over the weekend. You get hear some Utah BYU basketball. Let's do some college and pro football with one of our favorites, my guy, Max brown Back on the drive. Max, Happy Friday, brother, how are we doing?
Speaker 2: Every Friday? Spent them doing? Well? How are you?
Speaker 3: I'm good? All right?
Speaker 1: Your favorite weekend of NFL Playoff football is which weekend?
Speaker 3: And why?
Speaker 2: That's a good one? Yeah? Right, That's what majority think this will point weekend is that I'm saying the first full week of college football, so not Week zero, but the true week one, September one. I feel like it's not only the first real taste of football week get, but it's turned the page on summer and settle them into what the fall will be. So hey, there's so much anticipation. There's like a month and a half of anticipation leading up. So I'll go Labor Day weekend for me.
Speaker 3: Fair enough? Fair enough? All right?
Speaker 1: I do want to get a thought from you, well, not just a thought, but a good preview on Monday night, and we'll probably end there, but let's do a little bit of local stuff. And I won't hold your feet to the fire because your attention has been elsewhere. But generally speaking, you can speak to the fact that Utah football has brought in a new offensive coordinator, just a bevy of new players. Basically most if not all, the skilled position players will be new, a total of forty one new players. That's fifty three percent roster turnover, which I guess is simply the new normal in college football. But the way I'll pose the question, Max, is what gives what gives you the most confidence that year one in the Big twelve for the Utes was an anomaly, a moment in time, and not.
Speaker 3: What the new normal is for this program.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think two things show out to me there. It's one that you got Kyle Wayne Ham as your head coach, so obviously gives you confidence in the stability there. And there's even throughout his tenure when there have been the high points, you know, even when I was in school. You know, I think there was one one year in there from that thirteen to call it sixteen range, where you know Utah did take a step back, but it doesn't mean that then like a lot of programs where then that step back means that you've lost momentum forever. I feel like Kyle Woodingham has a track record of like, hey, you can have it down a year and then come back and still contend for championship. So that's the first year. But I also go to like the whole just Cam Rising calendar year. That was the expectations put on this program, the fact that you came into a new conference and I was one of them that said, hey, Utah is going to be the standard in the Big twelve. And I think those expectations were different for Utah. I think the Cam Rising guessing game takes a toll not only on a not only on him, not only on the offense, but I my senses from Afar that it took a toll on on your team, especially just because offseason wise, when he's getting the reps, so you're not you're you're you're necessarily you know you're you're you're not giving the reps to Wilson or another guy out there to give him a true shot. I just think there's something to be said about, you know, not going back and forth, not having that guessing game, and having a clearer direction. I would feel more confident that that gives you your team the ability to march in one direction versus last year again with the expectations and the uncertainty around Cam Rising, it felt like it was just hard to get your footing in a conference that you know was beating each other up at the top of the At the top of the conference.
Speaker 1: You reference Cam Rising and one piece of news. We got a little January media availability with the Utah coaching staff, which doesn't happen often, and we had Jason Beck on the show, which is fun, my first chance to interview him. But Coach Wit didn't more or less make it official. They well did make it official. The Cam's out on the roster. They're moving forward without him. He has He's mentioned that Cam will announce what his next steps are in his time and we haven't heard from Cameron yet. But you were a guy that during your time with the PAC twelve network, you covered those teams when Cam was healthy and right, and as he now moves on to his next phase in life, how should Utah fans remember Cam Rising as one of.
Speaker 2: The best quarterbacks to ever wear that uniform. And you know, it's a funny. There's two sides of this, right, there's the one of the best quarterbacks to everwhere in the Utah uniform, the Rose Bowl memories, the leveling up, the class that Utah was when I was, you know, in the Pac twelve as a player from thirteen to sixteen, Utah was competitive. Utah was a force to be reckoned with. Utah was you knew that you had to buckle up your chin strap. But I think the Cam Rising era took Utah to a different level of expectation and then different standard and ten twenty years from now, when you look back, I think Cam will be the symbol for what that era meant for Utah football. But on the foot side, I think it's hard not to sit there and think, hey, what could have been? That there was more out there. I guess it's a better way to put it with hey, maybe getting that Rose Bowl win, or what could have been in the twenty twenty four season, even the twenty twenty three season. Sitting there and knocking on the door, I think there was there's two sides to it. There's the acknowledge how far the programs come and his tenure was a big reason why. But also, you know, the meat left on the bone. And I'll also even take it back to you. You know, remember the days when cam Risen was sitting there in that quarterback competition and lost the job and stuck around and you know, got the nod week three or week four, and it wasn't a foregone conclusion that you know, he was the dude. I mean nowadays, you know, I see the pictures of remember when Cam Rising was a Texas longhorn and then transfers to Utah, and you kind of brush over the fact that, hey, it wasn't a foregone conclusion that he was going to be a stud. He had to grind and be patient. And I think a lot of what he represented is what the Kyle Whittingham era has been at Utah and will probably continue to be once the paton has passed to pass to the next guy.
Speaker 1: One more thing here, and I don't want to bring up anything in the past. It's uncomfortable and I'm not trying to be your therapist, but maybe we can process on a Friday, Max, because you're a guy like Cam Rising once upon a time that took a little heat from a college football fan base that was very passionate and very hopeful that maybe you could do some things that, for whatever reasons, didn't fully work out. And over the final couple of years, Cam took a lot of guff and a lot of grief from a lot of fans. And as I keep saying on air, you always have the option.
Speaker 3: Of not tweeting.
Speaker 1: You can put it in your drafts and go for a walk and come back and decide. And I don't love to get a lot of attention to cowards who use the internet to feel brave. But as somebody who went through that, what's it like when your own fan base seems to turn on you like that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough. I mean the articles that I remember is one of my last days at USC before I transferred to Pitt was a front page of our USC newspaper about hey if forget exactly what the title was, but the thesis of the article was, hey, if Max Brown never started and we started with Sam Darnold from Week one National champions That was the twenty sixteen season. That's the year that USC beat Saquon Barkley in the in the Rose Bowl, and I started those first what was it, three games, went one and two, and actually Donald's first start was at Rice Ecles in Utah. And I mean, I don't blame the I mean, it's a captivating article for that student reporter to write. But those are the ones that I'm turning thirty next month. Those are the ones that you remember. So it's tough. But I do think for me, even as being a you know, a transfer, I didn't even have remotely the success that Cam Rising did. As the years go on, I've found that you know, the negative, the negative buzz, the negative memories, the negative chatter, those those fall by the wayside, and the good memories do have a tendency to rise to the top, especially when you handle yourself the way that Cam did and again had the success that he did. I think that hey, five seven years from now, when Cam returns and probably gets a halftime resignator or recognition or and at first quarter recognition, I have a strong belief that it'll be a everyone getting out of their seat applauding him, and those are the memories that he'll have. And I'm sure right next to his Utah helmet, Utah football and his man k for the rest of time.
Speaker 3: Well said, Hey, just total don secutor.
Speaker 1: But since you know, since you were in a situation once upon a time competing with Sam Darnold, I wonder what your insight is on because, as you know, Max, I'm I'm a long suffering New York Jets fan, and over the past number of years, Sam was the guy who I thought was going to be the one that could maybe lead us to something somewhat special. Who knows, but I liked him coming out of college, and it didn't work in New York. It doesn't work in New York with anybody. You end up taking peyote and speaking to caterpillars where things happen to you. But what sort of questions has Sam answered this year? And what do you think that last performance may have cost him? And what do you think his future is?
Speaker 2: Think you's answered the question that he's a legitimate NFL starting quarterback and any notion of him being a bust is gone, which is which is amazing. I'm happy for the guy. He's one of the good ones, easy, easy to root for, even though we battled all throughout our college careers. He's an awesome, awesome human being, so pumped to see him have success. So I think he answered that question. I think what goes unanswered is you know how much of that was a byproduct of being in a friendly Vikings offense with a very capable play caller that's had success with multiple quarterbacks. And that'll be the question for Sam miss offseason. I think, is you know, does he find or does he potentially take less to stay in Minnesota, or does he go to a different, different franchise. And I chuckled right there because I think if you're the New York Jets, he'd be still not to at least be able to call to Sam's agent and see what's out there, giving them the unclear quarterback situation the Jets are in long term, but I have a feeling that of all the teams out there in the NFL, one team will be able to put in put together a Baker Midfield type offer or potentially even better, because I think it's interesting this quarterback draft class. You're gonna see Shador Sanders, you're gonna see cam Ward, but there's a steep drop off to get to quarterback three. In my opinion, yet there's still a chunk of teams at like seven, eight, ten, twelve in the draft order that need to answer quarterback questions. I mean, whether it's the Jets, whether it's the Raiders, whether that's the Saints long term and what they do with Derek Carr. So I think in Giants as well, I'm of the opinion I think the Giants will be on the outside looking in if the top two quarterbacks go one two. So there's a lot of teams that have questions and need to find answers at the quarterback position. That warps in Sam's benefit. And I think he's shown that, even though the last two games didn't go didn't go great, that he is a legitimate NFL starter and it's no longer just a hey, nice to have a capable backup type of guy.
Speaker 1: All right, moving over to some college football here, and my first question regarding where we're at now is, you know, I continue to use this line on the show because I just realized that with the new nature of all of this stuff, for me, it's impossible to prognosticate. So I've moved over to more you know, diagnosing why did this happen? How can we make it better and we'll get to the game on Monday. But now that we do have the first example of a twelve team expanded CFP unfolding to the point where we have a final matchup, you like it, you don't like it?
Speaker 3: What needs to change?
Speaker 1: Where you at with a new format now that we have some data behind us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love the twelve team structure for sure. I'm in the camp that and I don't know if this is a mainstream take yet, but it is amongst you know, some of the folks that I listen to. I'm of the camp that they should recede after the first round. I like rewarding conference champions with that first round by and giving them a leg up. But I do think it's funny. I was talking with a Penn State fan this morning. I do think, you know, Penn State losing in the Big Ten championship yet getting a more favorable road than Oregon is you know, not ideal for the for the for the structure of the playoff. And I think reseeding after that first round so once you have eight total teams, that would have put you know, the Boise State at ranked number eight or Arizona State at eight Boise Boise State at seven. That to me solves a lot of the problems. I'm very wary of, you know, wholesale changes of guaranteed spots for the SEC or guaranteed spots for the Big ten or even Big twelve as well, because I just think every year is different, and that's the beauty of college football, that's the beauty of what we do for a living because we're able to analyze it all. But if you had the twelve team playoff structure last year, the number five team would have been Florida State without Jordan Travis, and this big storyline was Jordan Travis's injury would have been the twelve team playoff storyline, and everyone would have wanted to play Florida State as a number five seed with their backup quarterback right there. Versus this year that five seed was Penn State. It was a different vibe. I also don't think year in and year out, we're going to have as strong of a group of five champ I think Boise State is as strong of a group of five champ as we're going to get, at least in the immediate term of college football. That's going to be different next year. I think there's a world where maybe the Big twelve doesn't beat up on each other every year. If this season went how a lot of youth fans hoped it went, and Utah was sitting there as a one loss Big twelve champ, I think a lot of the chatter around, you know, the Big Twelve being maybe like a secondary or very much secondary compared to the Big ten or the SEC that wouldn't be the case. So every year is different. I think the twelve team structure allows for those dynamics to play out. But I think reseeding after that first round would would solve a lot of a complaint that people had in December.
Speaker 1: All right, So moving over now to let's actually go back a little bit before we move forward, and your thoughts on your thoughts, your thoughts on what we saw with Texas and Arizona State and whether or not I don't know, I mean, you've already talked about you know, different seating, different buys, But did Arizona States performance against Sexas was that a Big twelve statement at all? Or was that just Arizona State answering in a vacuum like yes, we belong here.
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I think it's a I mean, I view it more as I guess, yes, a Big twelve statement, but more of a all right, the SEC is not just this almighty invincible conference that you know we've been used to throughout the Nick Saban era. The days of being able to just stockpile backups in stockpile depth and take it away from those other schools are gone. And that was more my takeaway from the Arizona State Texas game where hey, if that matchup is played or maybe a better references Arizona State Alabama from five years years ago. You know, there's a world where that outcome is much different because of the depth that an Alabama team has versus Texas. Now, yes, there's still the top of the SEC, but I don't think it's that invincible nature that we once had, which I think is great for the game of college football and Arizona State showcase that. So that was my takeaway and also just a takeaway from an Arizona State lenses and Spence. You'll be able to relate to this because it was, you know, a talking point for Arizona State for much of their PAC twelve history about how much they were a you know, sleeping giant and whatnot, and I think there's a lot of truth to that, and I my takeaway was, Hey, maybe Kenny Dillingham has unlocked something there that is sustainable at Arizona State of being the sexy lack of lack of a better term team out west for a lot of these Texas and Big twelve rooted guys, that I feel confident that Arizona State, maybe not winning eleven games every year, but contending for Big twelve titles, that that identity is here to stay as long as Kenny Dillingham's there.
Speaker 1: All right, So we have ourselves an interesting game on Monday night. Before we get to the actual matchup, let's talk about the two teams and their path they got here.
Speaker 3: And I don't know man Marcus Freeman.
Speaker 1: When he first took that job at the age of thirty five, there's the home loss against Marshall, a lot of noise about is he ready. It's wild that his first coaching job is the head coach of Notre Dame. But this meteoric rise now at the age of thirty nine, there's a little like McVeigh to this, and he's become one of my favorite coaches to listen to. I think he's a pre eminent communicator. His players clearly love him, but nobody, at least in my opinion, and from what I understood listening to people who I respect, break this thing down.
Speaker 3: I don't think there are.
Speaker 1: Very many people, if any people at all that had Notre Dame in the college football championship game coming up on Monday. So what do you make of their path, how they got here, and your thoughts on their head?
Speaker 3: Coach?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny because in August they were, at least from what I was listening to, a lot of people's sleeper team, just because you got Riley Leonard who at one point in time mel Kiper had him as a first round quarterback at least last season before that ankle injury, and so you go and got a big time at least on paper signal caller. And then Notre Dame had a bunch of guys coming back, so you know, there was hype and obviously a relatively easy schedule, especially when you look at Big ten schools and SEC schools having to play each other and beat up on each other. So I think in August I saw a trajectory where they could be in the in this scenario at least in the final four and in the conversation. But then that, then that and IU game happened, and I remember watching that game and I called and I used game a couple of weeks later, and you watched that game. Notre Dame left a ton of offense, especially on the field, and I tweeted this out at the time. I was like, don't be surprised if they figured this thing out and find themselves at that point, you know, with one loss, facing a USC team to potentially go into the playoffs. And that's kind of how it how it how it played out. The big difference that I noticed, though not only with Marcus Freeman, and he deserves credit because you know, you're giving up play calling or he doesn't handle play calling duties, so you're trusting your assistant coaches. And I think Mike Denbrock, their offensive coordinator, totally pivoted after the NIU game and said, Hey, the reality is Riley Leonard is not an NFL quarterback. And that's the camp that I'm in. And I know, you know Colin Coward saying, oh he's the next Josh Allen. I'm not there. I don't think he's asked to do nearly nearly the amount in the passing game on a down in, down out basis as some of those other guys. But he shipped the offense and said, I'm gonna lean on Riley Leonard's legs. It's going to be run centric first and second and we're going to pass on third down and have that bri identity, not try to force him to win on first and second down as a progression passer. And the team took a liking to that identity. They deserve a ton of credit for doubling down in that identity and it's got them to the place that they're in. And the redemption story of Marcus Freeman. You said it. He started off a little it was rocky, for sure, but I think his overall vibe of it, of you know, resurrecting a notre dame that pretty much my entire adult life has been. Even when Brian Kelly was winning games, it was still a little bit stale and stiff. Those days are gone, and Marcus Freeman deserves all the credit for that.
Speaker 1: On the other side, you know, it's just it's and look, I don't know how true The narrative is that if Ryan Day doesn't win a national championship, he's gonna lose his job. But you know, he hasn't beaten Michigan and four straight games, and that Ohio State fan base is as passionate, front facing, and expressive as any fan base in the country, and you know, it certainly is fair to bring out the failures against your rival. And I understand that first before we talk about their path.
Speaker 3: Do you think there's anything there?
Speaker 1: Like if they don't win on Monday, do you think Ryan Day's really in trouble.
Speaker 2: I think there's something there. I think it's a conversation. I don't I'm not gonna sit here and say I think you should get fired. I'm not there yet. It's to me, and you know, I have the feelings inside me are honestly similar to how the Steelers talk is around Mike Tomlin, where it's like Mike Tomlin continues to win at a high level, but then he loses in that playoffs, and it's almost like, if you're Mike Tomlin's camp, it's like you'd almost rather him tank for one year so then they have a shot at getting a quarterback. So then he's you know, has a better shot of actually actually winning that elite level. But because he continues to just maximize what he has but then stub his toe at the end, it like almost works against him. The comp to Ryan Day is they're winning a ton of games, They're consistently in the national championship picture, they have an extremely promising trajectory in future when it comes to recruiting. But then there's the Michigan thing. But then, especially in this scenario, if you were to lose to Notre Dame, especially because Notre Dames of what quasi kind of Midwest rival, I think the cranking up the heat would be valid. I wouldn't be totally surprised if they pull the plug. Just like with Mike Tomlin, I could see a scenario where it's, hey, we have to fire because it's getting this stale, distracting narrative. But this dark cloud over our fan base and over our franchise and program where we have to move on. We don't think you're a bad coach, but this cloud has been hanging above us for too long where we have to make a change. I could see that. I could see the ad having that thought process, and it sounds crazy, but you also can convince yourself that, man, it's easy for anyone to recruit with that nil budget and go down that storyline. So I think Ryan Day would be hired by the next coach, by the next blue butt program that had a job opening. But I also think it's a little bit of the reality of the situation that Ohio States find themselves in over the past few seasons.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move over and out of their path, because they just smoked Tennessee. And if I'm an Oregon fan, I feel a little hard done because of the way this thing went down. Because Ohio State might be, as you know, the most talented team in the country. Most people believe that they take care of the number one team in the country and then they handle Texas relatively easily. So what do you make of what they've been able to do to advance ants and have they figured some things out?
Speaker 3: In your mind?
Speaker 2: I think so, Yeah. I buy the storyline that a lot of folks are saying of, you know, you lose to Michigan. I think it put a chip on their shoulder. I think they're able to activate this underdog mentality, which I don't know how much of an underdog you can be when you're at Ohio State and all the you know, the nil and recruiting funds that they have, but obviously something's click for them. I think it'll come down to the quarterback play, which it obviously does for most football games. But Riley Leonard and Will Howard to me fall into a similar bucket where they're you know, fringe NFL guys, their effective college quarterbacks, but it oftentimes comes down to, you know, a third down throw here or there, or can you win that one on one matchup on the outside and make enough plays when they're right there? Or do the you know, especially a Notre Dame defense that solid do they rise to the occasion as well? So I think I have no doubts about the quality of Ohio States defense. We know about their skill players. I do think something was found in this last game of how they were able to defend Jeremiah Smith and not let Jeremiah Smith go. And I think mixing up those looks is big. But to me, it comes down to which of these quarterbacks can be more efficient on third down protect the ball, and when you do have those one on one matchups, how many times are we looking up saying, all right, that's a twenty five thirty yard game down the field because they were able to just execute and catch the rock.
Speaker 1: All right, Max, before I say you loose, how do you see this playing out Ohio State? Let me check the line. Let me make sure that this is still the case. Ohio State is a favorite as of now. It's eight point five the over unders forty five point five games on our station.
Speaker 3: How do you think it plays out.
Speaker 2: I think it's a grimier game than that line indicates that eight and a half point line. I think Ohio State wins, but it's a game that goes into the fourth quarter. I feel confident Notre Dame's defense to at least make things tough for Ohio State. And again, both these quarterbacks. I mean, this is not a JJ McCarthy Michael Pennix type of show that we saw last year in the National Championship where you're saying, hey, both those guys are gonna be NFL first round draft picks. Both these quarterbacks are good college quarterbacks. But I think they will make mistakes. I think they will miss opportunities that'll keep the game closer and a little bit more Murcurier, especially with how strong both these defenses are and a little bit of Notre Dame's run game as well. So the fighting Irish keep it close, but ultimately Ohio State gets it done. The monkey goes off Ryan days back and we can finally stop talking about that and the Buck guys win the national championship.
Speaker 3: Max, you are the man as always.
Speaker 1: I just say, I hope for a good game coming up on Monday, Final one we get for a number of months.
Speaker 3: Appreciate you, dude. Have a great weekend with chatoon.
Speaker 2: Okay, it was fun, Thanks Ben, Appreciate you all right.
Speaker 1: The Great Max Brown got to know him during the Pac twelve days.
Speaker 3: Always appreciate his time.
Speaker 1: He's the league college football analyst over the CW now and he's really really good on social media. If you're into kind of like the tick it well is TikTok rounding more not as of next week, so next week it's done.
Speaker 3: Tentatively.
Speaker 1: Man, I'm so glad I never got on that damn thing. But anyway, he's fun on social media. Get him on Twitter at Max Brown four