Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: I've mentioned here and there that I've learned in recent years, with us broadcasting every day live in a cave here with no windows, that I shouldn't just assume that the weather outside is anywhere close to what it was when I arrived, which today is, you know, about two and a half hours ago, because it can change, and I've been yapping about, oh man, it's nasty, outsider, it's great, And then you know, that was two thirty. Now it's five o'clock, and I'm you know, they sound like if they probably feel like they're listening to a show that was from a different day. But it is August the twentieth, twenty twenty four, and when I arrived, it had been beautiful all day, and it was so beautiful that I'm willing to guess. I'm not gonna bet, I'm willing to I believe that it is still nice outside because it was too beautiful, I mean nice cool temperatures. In fact, I think it might be near a record low for August. So give me that. Yeah, beautiful, beautiful day here as we roll along on a Tuesday. It's hour number three, the five o'clock hour. Here Coffee and Company. Feel about Thornton's on Sports Talk seven ninety Nick Coffee, that's me the company man, mister John all on alongside today, taking you up until six o'clock. Take us with you wherever you go. Listen live on the iHeart Radio app Listen Live. It's seven ninety Louisville dot com. And the first pitch is still on for Thursday. And I say still on because if you were listening earlier in the show. I had a little bit of a panic yesterday because this is one of those things that I've known about for roughly two weeks and there was never really any specific thing that had me worried that like it wouldn't happen. But it was one of those things that I didn't want to put out there until I knew for sure that it was happening, because you know, just would be it would be a bad look and you never know, right, sometimes things fall apart, and who knows, we're two days away, maybe it falls apart. But I even hesitated last week to talk about it because I just felt like, you know what, like are they really going to have me come out and throw out the first pitch at the Bats game? Like, come on, now, I'm very honored and can't wait, and I'm excited for the opportunity, very grateful obviously, but you know, like there's a part of me that's like me, but that should make me an even more, you know, not worthy candidate necessarily, but like, you know, at least it's somebody who is really appreciative of it. So yesterday during the show, I don't remember when it was, and it might have been in the four o'clock hour, I had a little bit of a panic because for some reason, I just happened to open up Facebook on the computer here in the studio, which I never do, and I don't really know. I don't I still don't know why I did. But I got in Facebook and I saw the Bats promoting a first pitch on Thursday. And it wasn't me, and my pride wasn't hurt. It wasn't like I was angry at the Bats. I just assumed that, you know, there was some kind of a miscommunication or maybe you know, maybe I didn't read every detail in the email exchanges that we had. Maybe they were sending me, you know, to go to go for the double A team in Chattanooga. That's where they wanted me to throw out the first pitch. I'm not triple A Louisville bats Worthy. I'm more of a double A single A guy, which, hey, if that was the case, I wouldn't I wouldn't be able to make the trip. I wouldn't be able to do it, but that would be understandable. So yesterday I was a little worried and I ended up reaching out to my contact at the Louisville Bats, Brandon, who's been great throughout this process with me and I look forward to be in there Thursday. But I was like, hey, I just saw someone on Facebook like, were we still good for Thursday? And he was like yeah, And I said, well, I see Pat Kelsey's throwing out the first pitch too, like and he's like, yeah, it's it's fine. We've got you know, both of you guys are going to do it, and he's gonna throw the first pitch. You're gonna throw the first pitch, and you know we're looking forward to it. And I'm like, all right, well, I don't know how you know again, we're good to go. But there was a part of me that was like, yeah, we can't have we can't have that guy. Do we got to go get We got to go get Pat Kelsey, which, of course he would be way more worthy. He is way more worthy. And you know, I'm a little you know, my pride won't get hurt, like if it was some Randow would be a little different. But like it's very understandable for you know, when he gets put out there, when however they do it, like he's going to probably get a big round of applause. He's probably gonna be a hype man, right, Like, he's probably gonna get the crowd into it, and everybody's gonna be cheering or booing if you're like a Kentucky fan or something. And then like they'll they'll probably introduce me, and everybody'd be like, who the hell is this guy? I mean, I'm sure there'll be some people there that might know me, they may not like me. I'll have family there. They'll probably you know, cheer or maybe they'll boo. I don't know. I have some friends that are coming to So it's still on first pitch six point twenty at the Bats game, Slugger Field on Thursday. They're actually their home stand actually started today, so they'll be at home the rest of the week taking on the Gwinett Strippers. And uh yeah, I U. I'm not looking to compete with Pat Kelsey because you know I that wouldn't be smart on my part. I don't know about as background as a baseball player, but I know about mine and I don't have one. I'm not experienced in any way when it comes to the sport of baseball. But my goal here, get it across the plate. Doesn't have to be a strike, doesn't have to look good. And what I mean look good, I don't mean like it looks as if like it might be you know that could have passed for a real pitch in a real game. No, I just want to get it to the mound. Not to the mound again. That's this is what I know about baseball. I'm going to be on the mound. I need to get it across the plate or really near the plate to where the catcher doesn't have to do a whole lot of moving around. And I feel like I can do at least that. I may be wrong, I may realize as much as I make fun of myself for being unqualified to throw a baseball. I'm even worse than I thought. We'll see, we'll find that out on Thursday. But I'm I'm not like bothered by it in any way, but like I'm I'm a little surprised by how many people are worried for me. Like they think that I'm going to like grass myself in epic fashion, and that all is like real, Like i know what I'm doing here, meaning like who I am, what I'm capable of, And that's not to say that I'm gonna look good doing it, but like just getting it to the plate. I feel like it's something I'm able to do. But if you're if you're asking, like, oh, you're gonna be embarrassed, Like if you look like you've never thrown a baseball before, well maybe I should be. But like i know, like I know that's who I am. I'm not a baseball guy. So some people are accusing me of, you know, underplaying my ability. Trust me, that's not it at all. I'm sure I'll look like somebody if you're just somebody, you know, walking to get yourself one of those one of those uh two dollars beers they're gonna have or is it three dollars? Let me make sure I get it right, because two dollars sounds really cheap. It sounds like a deal too good to be true. But I can tell you this, it's not too good to be true, because it will be two dollars. Miller lighting cors light from five thirty to eight thirty. So if you're one of those that you know, you're just walking to take advantage of beer, waiting for the game to start, and you happen to look up and there's this guy throwing out the first pitch you've never heard of. Like, my guess is you'll be like, yeah, that guy looks like he has never played baseball organized or competitively before, But you know what, at least he got it to the plate. Like that's kind of where I'm at with this whole thing.
Speaker 3: I like that attitude, by the way, I mean, it's a good way to look at it.
Speaker 2: If this was, if this was well, put it this way, like whenever I participated in the Chris Mack Fantasy basketball camp and one cut down nets kind of a big deal act like you don't remember, I know you do. It's a big deal cut down the nets Chris Mac Fantasy Camp. We won it all. Didn't win a game in league play, pool play, as they say, rallied back one four straight, all hung over as hell on a Sunday morning over at the Keeber Center. They're still talking about it in the streets of Louisville about, man, can you believe what that team did? Just nobody gave him a shot. Looked like they might not even show up for the tournament. Yeah we were, oh yeah we were. We were big time dogs. But like at that point, like I I have expectations for myself because I did play basketball competitively briefly in college, and I knew I was gonna be a lot younger than the majority of the guys there, so I was sort of like worried about how I would how I would do for myself. Like we didn't play in front of fans. It was just I mean, when they call it a fantasy camp, but it's quite literally exactly what it is. Like it's embarrassing now looking back, Like again, it was a cool experience, but like they played one shining moment when we won the game, like what are we doing here? Like we're grown men? We're not like it's but if you're gonna, you know, if you're gonna be a part of it, they are truly going to treat it as if like you are in the fantasy world of where you play basketball at a place like u of L. They have announcers, you know, they have the starting lineup. You know. I went to the sideline like cramping up, you know, because I'm in my mid thirties at that point, not in great shape and hungover, and like a legitimate team trainer is like rubbing my leg down, like you know, like I'm Lebron coming out cramping or something. It was wild. I remember, h I airballed my first shot, and you know, the coaches were the actual coaches, like Luke Murray and kill and Ell were two of the coaches. Dino Gattio was a coach too, and then like Pegeese didn't coach because he was actually hosting some recruits at that time. But like I remember, a lot of the assistant coaches were current players and Sam Williamson who played at Louisville. I remember I airballed a shot and I was like really hard on myself, like damn, and he looked you know, I looked over the bench and here this kid is an incoming freshman. He was like, hey, keep shooting, you got this, And I'm like, what world is this? This is not real life? And then I'm like, oh yeah, this is the reason why they call it a fantasy camp. So anyways, I'm looking forward to it. I don't have high expectations at all for myself. I'm just you know, and I think with my expectations being low and where they are as I just laid out, I feel comfortable that I could at least do that. It'd be different if I was like, man, I gotta look I gotta look really good doing it. I got to look like I belong, you know, and I know I don't belong. So therefro, I'm just gonna have fun with it. So anyways, hopefully you'll be there Thursday. If so, say hello. We can enjoy beer together. Should be fun. So where do we want to start?
Speaker 3: Here?
Speaker 2: In the five o'clock Howard, because I like to give you guys who are just joining us. Maybe you just cut off work always a new audience when the hour turns over. We've been pretty busy. I don't really feel like there's one specific thing that has dominated the show today. But I will tell you, if you're a Kentucky fan, you now can circle the date on the calendar when you're gonna get a chance to see John Caliperry make his return to Lexington. So the Kentucky basketball schedule was released earlier today and Kentucky in Arkansas will play on Saturday, February the first in Raperina. Some of the things we've discussed in regards to this is there's no question about who has more pressure to win this game. It'll be Cali Perry with more pressure. There's no doubt about that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I guess things can change depending on how each team looks at that time. For example, if Cal is struggling and Pope is crushing it, and Cal comes in there and mops him, that's a bad look on Pope. Doesn't mean he'd be like a fireable offense or anything like that. I mean, you know, it's but that can change things. If Cal looks like he's got it rolling and Pope is kind of, you know, chugging a long look like a tournament team but probably not going to get a great seat, and they want to make sure they don't fall apart in March like that kind of stuff that could make it to where you know, the pressure would would be you know, on you know, if Cal was to I'm sorry, if if Kentucky's just chugging along not looking great, there the big dog at home potentially and Pope wins, that would be a bad look on Cow. So the pressure's on Cow, there's no doubt. And one of the other things we discussed as far as the demand for this ticket, like it's going to be a tough ticket to get and I feel like if you were a Kentucky fan, and again I'm not a Kentucky fan, I can't relate. I'm not one of you, but I feel like it's not crazy to say that if you are a Kentucky fan that doesn't have season tickets, that goes to a few games a year, and this is one that you are willing to make sure you can, you know, you'll you'll pay top dollar, knowing it's going to be above you know, the typical ticket price because of this game. If you are one of those fans that's going to make sure you can do whatever you can to get there, it's because you want to boo his ass right, Like, he'll be booed, he'll be cheered. There'll be a mixture. I choose believe that they'll be more booze than cheers. But what do I know. Again, I can't relate. I'm not a Kentucky fan because cal he won't be hated by Kentucky fans forever, I don't think or ever. Really, I'm sure there's some that don't hate him at all right now, and you know are saying, you know, what I think is laying, well, hope he wins every game, but the Kentucky game, you know, because that's you know, like he's on the other side now. Like, and when he retires, and let's say you went to Arkansas and it was an underwhelming experience there at that point, you know, you probably you know, he'd probably be wise to really attach his wagon to his legacy being the Kentucky coach and nowhere else, which he probably I mean, he'll remember. He'll be remembered for Kentucky more than anything because that's where he was the longest. Like, there is no way he coaches at Arkansas as long as he was in Kentucky. No matter how good he is, he'll be you know, ancient. So I still think there's some awkwardness to this whole thing. And it's more than anything because they're direct competitors. They play in the same league, and Caliperry is still going to go after some of the best players in the country, the best players because that's what he does. He's not switching up his recruiting strategy. He's going to go after the best players in the country every year. Kentucky will have a different recruiting approach to where they're going to be a little bit more open, I think with Mark Pope to look at guys that cow would never look at. But also they're Kentucky, so therefore they're going to also continue to you know, reach out and try to get the best players in the country. And I feel like that's just made it to where until his run ends at Arkansas, and I guess what happens during that run at Arkansas, That to me, I think is a big factor in how his legacy will be when he retires. If he went and coached and I don't know, somewhere in the Big East that's a lower level, it's different, but you know, he's at Arkansas. They are believe it or not a big time basketball program. They're not Kentucky by any means, but they have a big fan base and they paid a lot of money to bring him in there, and they've got high expectations. So I think the awkwardness is because he's now you know, he's an enemy, meaning he's somebody trying to win the SEC every year, just like you. And also he's cal he's spiteful. There's no doubt in my mind he is going to be energized to an extent. Maybe the majority of his energy in his motivation to win, is going to be to let Kentucky fans know they should have appreciated what they had when they had it, and that's that's not something that makes him a bad guy, in my opinion. I think that's actually a pretty normal human emotion in that regard. Like clearly he still felt like he was at the top of his game despite flameouts in the tournament. He could sense that fans were not worshiping him the way that they used to, and he felt underappreciated. And you know, I'm sure at Arkansas he'll be you know, anybody would be motivated I think, to like you, if you're ex and you split, and you know it's for the best, but you kind of feel like, you know, even though it was a mutual split, that split that was better for everybody, was best for everybody involved, but really they started to not love you as much and they just weren't as into you. That's kind of what the way the Kentucky fan base was with Cal.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: Now Cow's got him a new boo and that's Arkansas. He's hog Nation baby, and they're loving him because he's the new flavor. He's the guy with the championship. He's the guy that you know, is a larger than life figure within sports. He's a guy that's gonna get Arkansas basketball talked about nationally in a way that Musselmen didn't. Even if KL doesn't win the way Musselman did, that's a fact because it's Caliperry. That's what he does. So he's feeling good about himself, and he's like, you know, he might go out to you know, the bar, or to get dinner, and let's just say when he when he let's say you know, they got it. Let's say they get an uber because they might be drinking. Cal's feeling good. He's gonna you know, he's gonna get an uber him in the Hogs and they're going to you know wherever. They're gonna go to John the company Man's Bar and Grill for dinner. And Cal's got his best suit on, he's got he's got you know, he's got his arm around the hogs and he's wishing on that uber ride to the company Man's Bar and Grill. The Kentucky fans are there, and they're gonna see him walking in. He's gonna be smiling like that's That's the best I can do as far as like how he's probably feeling about this whole Arkansas thing. But February first, that's the date, and it'll be a tough ticket to get, I'm sure. But again, from what happens from the start of the season until then, I think that will be a little bit more. That'll be a little bit more, I guess telling as far as what you know, what the temperature is at that time, all right, something else we discussed. I don't want to act as if this is like, hey, you know, this is something that we've talked a ton about on the show. And I also don't want to act as if this is something that like is really worthy of getting into. But Louisville losing Colin Lacey to injury six to eight weeks. He's going to be out with the broken collar bone. He's had surgery. That was a big topic yesterday. Right, a guy that could be their explosive playmaker on offense, he's now going to be sidelined for a while. Where as a little will go from here. I still maintain that they have enough pieces and Jeff Brahm, I think is creative enough as a play caller to where they can get by without Colin Lacy and they may actually still have a high powered offense. In fact, they like I don't want to downplay it as if Colin Lacy's absence is going to be no big deal, because I do love the upside he has. He's a proven playmaker, maybe not at this level, but still his production at South Alabama was hard to ignore. And with his size and just being that slot guy, there's a lot of people myself included that it thought like maybe Jeff could get real creative here and utilize him in a way that he did Rondell Moore. That's a big ass because Rondel Moore was explosive. But Colin Lacy, he didn't do it in the Big ten like Rondelle did. But he's really really proven and good. So I'm not acting as if they got to go do something, but there's at least some smoke out there that they may make a late addition here to the roster. And it's somebody that you should be familiar with. Amuriy Huggins Bruce, who transferred to South Carolina did not win the starting job there at the slot receiver spot. He is somebody that I believe is the best example of sort of what life's going to be like moving forward now that the portal exists. This is a guy that nobody wanted to leave. He was good for you. He was an elite. You would understand if the staff is going to recruit over him, but nobody would say, yeah, this guy stinks. I hope he leaves we can get somebody else. I mean, you shouldn't say that about anybody, but like, he's a guy that when you saw he was transferring, you remembered, oh, yeah, that guy. In three years he had he had a handful of touchdowns, he made some plays. So like, I'm bummed that he's leaving. But again, when you kind of look around and realize this is a new world of college athletics, you understand this is how it's going to be. He loved Louisville. He said that on his way out, and I think he meant it. I know people that got to know him a little bit during his time here at Louisville. But he's looking out for himself, right he wasn't. I mean, he put his name in the portal. I think it was ten days after calling Lacey committed to Louisville because he realized, uh oh, I just got recruited over So he did not win the job at South Carolina. There's no reports that I've seen that he's entering the portal, but there are some, you know, there's some message board chatter, some smoke. I would say that like he might try to come back to Louisville and join the program, rejoin the program. I should say, I have no clue if that's true or not. But all I will say is that if there is any truth to that and that happens, I'd say that's a good insurance policy here without Colin Lacey. I mean, it just gives you another receiver. It's a guy who has proven to at least be solid. But by the way, with Huggins Bruce, there's also a part of me that's like, well, maybe he would really thrive now with Shuck, maybe they would just have some kind of chemistry or something. The only reason I say that is because at times Huggins Bruce did in fact look like he was going to be a pretty good receiver, and he was technically. I mean, his numbers aren't bad last year three hundred and twelve yards at four touchdowns, twenty receptions. His best season actually came as a true freshman when he got twenty nine passes, four hundred and forty four yards, four touchdowns. So he's been productive, you know, here and there, but he's never really he's not been consistent and he's never really merged as a guy where you feel like, Okay, he's going to be a fixture within this offense moving forward. He's had plays where you're like, oh wow, that was pretty that was pretty impressive, and then you think, okay, well, let's hope that he gets it rolling. Then you realize, okay, two games later he catches a pass, so you forgot about that guy. Haven't haven't thought about him since the last time I saw him made it catch, which was two weeks ago. So again, I don't want to talk already. I probably already talked about it too much to where it does seem as if like it's it's legitimately in the works. It's more so a rumor, and I hate getting into rumors like this, but it's coming from a place to where like if it does end up becoming, if it does end up proving to be true, and they do make this work, I wouldn't be shocked. That's and that's I wouldn't bring it up if I didn't think that there was, you know, some legitimacy to maybe this actually being able to happen.
Speaker 3: All right, quick break, we'll keep.
Speaker 2: It rolling along here. What I want to get you on the other side, Tom Jurich. He's being pushed for an athletic director job by one of his former employees. And I have no problem saying this. I want it badly. I just want to see what would happen if Tom Jurge did re enter college athletics now that it's so different than what it was when he was here in twenty seventeen, Also, we'll get back into this week zero at travel issue. Yeah, not a huge shocker if you think about it. Delaware State a program that's in the MIAC. Yeah, they may not have the same resources that other programs have for travel. And they're ten and a half hour flight to Honolulu. They missed the flight, and now they're scrambling Delaware State in Hawaii play on Saturday, and I'm not sure Delaware State's gonna be able to get there. Stick around coffee and company. Feel about Thordt's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 2: I've seen the college football national guys covering this story of Delaware State's football program having some travel issues. Is they're trying to get to Hawaii for their game on Saturday in week zero. And one thing I did miss and just now saw for the first time that a Delaware State spokesman has confirmed that the travel issue in THISI was that they missed their flight. Like somebody's got to get in trouble for that, right. How do you how does a team I mean again, they can't fly like they're obviously not in a position to fly, you know, privately, like a lot of the big time programs do with a charter flight. But I mean, my guess that's like the one thing you got to do is make sure you get there. If your flight's book you got this many people going in, it's a ten and a half hour flight. Like the real like the day of goal is get there and don't miss the flight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whoever's in charge of their travel plans probably didn't think about how much time it would take for them to get to where they needed to go and maybe what potential traffic issues they could have encountered.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it looks like there was a bus snaff foo at the JFK airport that kept them from I mean, I don't know if that's a bus they were relying on, because again, you wouldn't believe if you've not seen it up close, you wouldn't believe the amount of people that travel with teams now, they probably don't have as big of a contingent just because of the type of you know, they're not a first of all, if you're somebody that is connected but you're not needed on this flip on this trip to save money, they're not going to let you know, like this is probably the type of flight that like they will send only people that they know need to be there because it's going to help them cut costs. And they're only going to essentially pick up a check after getting their rear end kicked in and coming back to Delaware State for another probably awful season. They went one to ten last year, and now they're you know, they're to keep the lights on, to keep the bills paid, to make budget. They've got to travel and play teams like Hawaii from the Mountain West and again probably get drilled. It's just I mean, these are by games, and these these games that these FCS teams play, and obviously the G five teams play them as well. These are important for them as far as just funding the program. And what I mean by that not paying players. It's just, you know, it's expensive to run a college football program, and those two three games you play a year against those kind of teams are a huge part of how you're able to pay for that expensive cost. So this is from a let's see, I don't know if this is a This says we're working on a plan, says Delaware State spokesman says that they rebooked its travel and is still scheduled to arrive on time in Hawaii Tomorrow says that they they added an extra they built an extra day into their travel plans just in case of an issue, so they missed their flight. Not a good look. But that extra day that you added just because of you know, a potential issue, which you did have. That that's a good move on your part because now you've I guess you know, been able to rebook and you know it sounds like you're gonna be there just in time.
Speaker 4: Hornets Rainbow Warriors midnight on Saturday. Be there, be square right, I'm going to be not on Sunday at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh, I'm going to be if I'm up.
Speaker 3: That's the Sickos Committee game of the week for sure.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, I'm I'm in. And I mean think about when that'll be? What four o'clock when the morning when it ends, no joke like, it'll be four o'clockies because that's how long these games last. So yeah, this whole travel thing is has made me a little bit more interested in this game. I can't lie and say I'm all in, but I will probably tune in and pass out after too many bush lights and you know, wake up and not remember that that game was ever played, because that's just how it's such a non starter. And the story itself kind of has me wanting to sprinkle something light on the Delaware State Hornets to cover a humongous spread that is now up to thirty nine and a half points. But I would just be wasting money. But hey, I waste money every time I bet. I don't win that often.
Speaker 4: You may wake up on the brink of a Delaware State upset at like three point thirty in the morning, after passing out with some beers.
Speaker 2: That would be awesome, kind of restart the night at that point, right, there's nothing better than waking up and realizing that you know, one of your bets came through, that you passed out or fell asleep just because you couldn't stay up, or you know, this is never like this. This is good, But it also tells me at times like, all right, man, like you're doing a little too much. Not to say like I'm spending too much money because I don't bet a lot of money, but like to unexpectedly see that you want to bet because you didn't you weren't able to really remember fully how many active things you had going what that bothers me about is It tells me, look, you're not even really looking at what you're betting, like you're not even like you know. But when I see, okay, well had a three leg parlay here for the noon slate, that's dead. Now we got to look at the other games, and I start building from there. And then then you know, pretty early on in that slate of games, you know you lost again, like you just all right, well, let's just let's try again. And that's where it kind of gets hard to keep up with. But there is nothing better than really tracking a bet that you feel good about, meaning like you're out in front of it and it comes through it just you know, and again it's all luck. I think at least that's the way. I mean, it's not all luck. Clearly. If you've never bet and you just know nothing about college football and you just start picking things, I mean, you're probably not gonna be very good. But I just choose to believe that it's luck based that way. I don't get too into it and don't get too competitive with it. But I'm telling you, I like the dogs. Georgia Tech plus eleven now I think it was eleven and a half. I think they're gonna keep it, keep it competitive against Florida State, I really do. I'm not a believer in Georgia Tech. Is this team that's about to be, you know, a rising program in the ACC. But they're clearly better than they have been in recent years. They're coming off a pretty good season last year, and Florida State a lot of new pieces. And I don't believe in dj Yugla Leiley. I just don't. I don't know why people do. So I'm taking Florida State. I'm sorry, george Tech plus eleven and obviously the other one is Nevada plus twenty five and a half. Too many points, too many points, SMU. I could be wrong here, I'm wrong a lot. I just don't know, Like what has people thinking that they're gonna be like the team right behind Clemson Florida State in no particular like everybody acts us if they're going to just walk in and be right outside the top tier of this league. And there's really nothing to base that off of other than they were pretty good in the American I mean that, and I know the ACC is not great, but like, I just don't get this, SMU. Megan of the other schools joining cal and Stanford. Yeah, they're better than them, but that doesn't mean a whole lot. All right, let's talk about Tom Jersey, shall We been a while since we talked about mister Jurch, former Louisville athletic director who has been seemingly comfortably retired since Louisville kind of forced him out back in twenty seventeen. I have no clue if Tom Jersey has tried to get another athletic director job and the interest wasn't there from the universities, I have no clue if the universities have courted him for a job and he's told him no, I have no clue. I don't have any connection to Tom on a personal level. I mean I know him. I mean I've had conversations with him, but it's been you I have not talked to Tom they since he left, and I know others that you know are in local media here have But I don't have that kind of relationship. So I want to be clear about that. But Rick Patino earlier today tweeting out would love to see New Mexico hire the best ad in America, Tom Jurich. I've worked with the best and none are better than this man had Louisville top ten women's and men's hoops, top ten football, top ten soccer, top ten baseball, and best facilities in college sports superstar. So this is not a surprise to see Rick continuing to prop up his guy. And honestly, he didn't say anything that wasn't true. You know he didn't. I mean, Tom Jerch was a phenomenal athletic director here and is so important to the legacy of Louisville athletics top to bottom. I mean, I think we've always been able to say that, but because you know, you know, you were going to be a Louisville fan after him, like when he was fighting with the school and suing, like it just it was like you were the parents and your kids are getting divorced. It was weird, it was awkward. Well, now the time has passed and Louisvill's had a bunch of different athlete directors and really nowhere near the same success they had during Tom's time here. Like anybody claiming he wasn't great, not to say he didn't make mistakes and make a bad hire here or there. Clearly he did. Everybody does. He's not perfect, he hired Crackthrope that didn't work out, he gave Bobby a crazy, stupid contract when he wasn't needed when Bobby came back. But overall, like he is, he was phenomenal at his job. So I have no clue if they'll be interested from New Mexico because they have an opening right now. And yes, obviously another connection here, like Rick feels more comfortable saying this about New Mexico because his son works there. So again, no clue if this ends up happening. But I so badly want to see this happen. Not because I'm sad for Tom because he didn't need this. I mean, I'm sure he's financially in a great place. If he really wanted to be back in the game that badly, he could have gotten a job somewhere. But he's obviously well aware of his resume and isn't just going to go work somewhere randomly, and he doesn't really need to prove anything. And to be fair to Tom, one of the reasons I think that the times he was difficult to deal with, and I had difficulties at time. I'm myself nothing crazy like some other stories I've heard, but you know, he didn't like anybody talking in any way negatively about Louisville. He didn't like I mean, if you weren't all in with Tom and U of L, you were an enemy. And that's not really any way to go about it. But I will say this, the reason he did that is because it was his baby. He loved it so much. He I mean, he helped build U of L Athletics to really what it is now outside of basketball because it was already established right with Denny Crumb. So like, he took it personal because it was personal to him. You if you're not pumping up U of L the way he wants you to, and you are, you know, friends with him or just cordial in a business manner or whatever, or in media, like, he takes that personal. Again, I'm not saying that's right, but I think he did it because of that. So the reason I want to see it is because I actually happen to think that what made Tom Jurich so great as the athletic director at the University of Louisville, Like the things he did really well fundraising I mean raising money really you know, making good hires, being the ultimate competitor, doing whatever he could to make sure his athletic department had resources to win and compete at a high level. And maybe he, you know, maybe him and James Ramsey, maybe James Ramsey specifically, you know, did some shady stuff that Tom benefited from. I don't know, that's not really relevant now, but nonetheless, like Tom, like it's all about money. Tom was a guy that basically ran you of athletics as if it was a professional sports franchise, and he did it really well. And yes, the game has changed so much since he last was an athletic director. When I say the game, I mean college athletics. It's changing a major way. But I feel like the things that he was really good at that helped you of l athletics become what it is today is now more important than it ever was because it's all of it. This is pro sports, people, it is this is professional sports. There's so much money involved in this, and there was a lot of money involved in it with Tom was around. So you know, like the difference now is though, like it's you know, being able to really drive fundraising, getting people to believe in your vision and invest and really open up the checkbook like that is super important. Now if you want to compete at the high level in college athletics, and I wouldn't. I mean, I don't think it's a stretch to say that's what Tom did best. So again, who knows, But I want it to happen just because I would, you know, And look if it did happen and Tom went to New Mexico and their athletic department really benefited from him and it was a story within college sports, I would love that for Tom. I don't have any ill will at all in regards to that. So we'll see. Again. I no clue if it will actually happen, but New Mexico's the kind of school that could do it, like if there was like and I don't know if there are, but like if there were specific reasons why other schools passed on Tom, if that ever happened, New Mexico's the kind of school that would be like, hell, yeah, we'd be lucky to have this guy. We're New Mexico. We were just talking yesterday about how bad they are in football? What are they? I gotta look at this now.
Speaker 3: They're ten point underdogs to Montana State.
Speaker 2: In Week zero, right, Yes, yeah, that's crazy. Higher, Tom, George, do it. I want to see how it works out, and I think it would work, I really do. All right, don't go anywhere. We'll come back for a final segment right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Since we've talked a lot about New Mexico in the last twenty minutes or so, I totally forgot this. Bronco Mendenhall is their new football coach.
Speaker 3: I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he's an easily forgettable guy, but he's known for a good run, a really good run, I should say at Byu, I mean they were good, you know, in the independent status they were good. During their time in the Mountain West, they were good. And then in Virginia he wasn't great, but he you know they're Virginia, you know, I mean getting to Bowl games. And he did win eight games in twenty eighteen, nine games in twenty nineteen, so you know, six and six in his last year. So you know, he took three years off. It looks like two years off, I should say, now has re emerged in New Mexico. So that's just wild to say. Bronco menden Hall, in his debut is a double digit dog to an FCS team. Crazy, all right, you're crazy if you guys don't check out the podcast on the show because of the show, because it's up usually once the show ends, and I'm sure a lot of you, I mean, it's not really, it's not excused. I don't get it. I don't know how you could if you don't lock in from three to six every day, live every second of the show. I think you need to reevaluate some of your priorities. But you know, you got you got jobs and stuff. I get it, you got prior you got kids. So if you ever miss anything and you want to experience the full Coffee and Company experience, you can find the podcast on of course iHeartRadio the app, and also find it on the Apple podcast. I mean, we're actually another are we? And other ones other than other than just those two.
Speaker 3: It's a good question.
Speaker 2: You published, so doesn't it show you where it's going? Or no, it doesn't tell me. I think there might be a way I can find it if I wanted to dig in, Like when you when you publish, it sends it to you know, platforms, and I'm pretty sure those are the only two that we really prioritize but I don't know. There's a lot of a lot of different ways people can consume a podcast. I mean, at least that's you know, that was the case. I'm not sure if that's changed since then. If I'm listening to a podcast, I'm listening to it on those two iHeart or on the Apple podcast app. What happened? So people used to call it iTunes?
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: Why doesn't it called that anymore?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 4: I don't know if iTunes doesn't exist anymore, but I do know once streaming music kind of became the way of you know, not even the future, but the way of now, Apple created Apple Music to compet. Yeah, okay stuff, Yeah, so iTunes kind of became obsolete at that point.
Speaker 2: That makes total sense, makes total sense. Yeah, because they didn't they probably never thought they'd be shifting, but they had to, you know, in order to compete. Which one do you have?
Speaker 3: Or Spotify is what I used primarily?
Speaker 2: Is that? Is that still like the top? I would imagine, like that's probably the most popular.
Speaker 3: One, right, I would assume.
Speaker 4: So I think it was kind of the first to really get started with it, so they kind of got a leg.
Speaker 3: Up on everyone.
Speaker 2: Well, actually, no, they weren't. You remember the original what was the original Pandora even know what that is?
Speaker 3: Oh that's the that was the radio streaming.
Speaker 2: You're right, no one Pandora was is the was the first to wear Pandora. And then I think Amazon before Spotify blew up because Pandora, like it was you could stream any music. I mean I had a Pandora subscription for a long time and then I realized, oh yeah, uh, you know, this one isn't as good as the others that are out there. I've heard good things about Apple Music, but I've never you know, you and you wouldn't be able to get it right because you don't have Apple.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: Just does does Android have its own No?
Speaker 3: I think most people just use Spotify.
Speaker 2: Yeah, vantage makes sense. All Right, we're out of time. Have a good night, everybody. Talk to you tomorrow right here on Sports Talk seven ninety