Speaker 1: Time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: So, with my voice fading as we are now two hours through the show, I left my quarantine studio here to go get a drink, and I made a mistake of chugging some sprite, which has left me just doing nothing but burping, which of course I would never do on the air. They'd be really professional, and that would be very unprofessional, and I'm clearly a trained professional. So excuse me. Well, I try to, you know, gather myself here. That was a mistake. I should have just got water.
Speaker 3: Sprite is a great drink to have, like when you're under the weather, like, oh, it's always been my go to.
Speaker 4: I didn't know if that.
Speaker 2: Sore throat, sick, any kind of sickness A sprite It just seems like it's It's what you need when it comes toially, when it comes to different carbonated beverages, sprites the way. I mean, I love sprite in general. It's like so crispy, it's got that bite to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah exactly, I.
Speaker 2: Mean it's sprite. Maybe it's just any soft drink, but I feel like It's just there's like a Sprite challenge where you can't like chug a whole bottle of some of one and not you know, and not throw up.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a Sprite one.
Speaker 2: I've never tried it, don't want to, but yeah, sprite Sprite's delicious.
Speaker 3: On a nice, nice hot day, I could probably do about half of one.
Speaker 1: Maybe.
Speaker 2: All right, so you only get three soft drinks the rest of your life?
Speaker 4: What are you picking? Uh, doctor pepper?
Speaker 2: Coke zero Okay, coke zero?
Speaker 4: Got a huge Coke zero?
Speaker 1: Got?
Speaker 4: The regular coach is kind of too much for me.
Speaker 2: It's too thick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well to to a syrupy Yes, that's what I was about to say.
Speaker 2: It's just way I feel like a pit of candy and mus stomach after I drink. Especially, I can do a fountain coke, like a Coca cola from from McDonald's is fine. But even at the end of that, I'm like, all right, that's enough. But if I was to drink, like if I get a two liter of Coca cola, not diet or Coke zero, and I'm you know, and I have a few drinks of it, I'm like, man, that's rich.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it kind of depends on where you get it. Like it like a fountain coke is pretty good. One for McDonald's pretty good. But yeah, it's no matter where it is, it's just universally surropy. And probably my last one is probably gonna have to be probably have to be mountain dew. I do, I do enjoy good mountain You do the dew? Huh, Yeah, I do the dew. I enjoy good mountain dew.
Speaker 2: Man, I'm going diet coke in sprite. Those are easily the two, But the third I don't know. Like I'm I'm somebody that there aren't. There aren't many soft drinks that I'm like out on, Like I clearly have a preference, but there's not many soft drinks you could give me that I would say, no, I don't like it. I'm not going to drink it. So for me, what makes the soft drink one, I mean, die coke to me is it's it's got to be a drug. Sure, it's got to be a drug that asps. I mean, there's no the way the diet coke can hit like. It's got to be a drug. And you know, I'm addicted to it, I guess, And I love Sprite always have. But other than that, man, it's just the carbonation, Like that's what I need. I need a drink with carbonation that's gonna give me a little bit of a bite. I mean, I don't I don't know what I would go with. Do you like Big Red? I love Big Red?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I guess I probably should have added I'll put Big Red in over Mountain Do yes, I love Big Red.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think my third would probably be Doctor Peppery. It's a go yeah for me. And then honestly, this is random. I don't drink it as much anymore, but it used to be always in the house when I was growing up with my mom, diet sunkissed. I don't ever seek it out, but I remember, like, yeah, cause it's it's it's kind of got that first of all, it's delicious, but yeah, like a sunkis the diet part of it like makes it to where it's almost like diet coke, Like I could drink ten of them, but if I drink ten regular cokes or regular sunkiss it'd be just a little too much. Yeah, Like I can't finish a twenty ounce bottle of Coca Cola anymore. That's how weak I've gotten it comes to that kind of stuff, just can't do it. What is it you think that makes the soft drinks at certain places different? Like I don't eat a lot of White Castle, but people tell me that the fountain Big Red at White Castle is just like a different world.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they have their own faucet now for the Big Red, like it's not with all the other all the other soft drinks. They have their own spickett that the big Dread comes out, but there's not. But they're not getting different Big Red than us, are they? I mean, I wouldn't think so. Aren't they one of the rush about it? Aren't they one of the rare? Like I don't even think it's it's not very popular to get.
Speaker 2: It's not very common that even that a place would even have Big Red as a drink, right, So maybe maybe they get their fountain because it's because it's you know, it's it's something that they use clearly as part of their branding. Is that not only can you come here and get these different shaped hamburgers that have onions on them, like White Castles just its own it's very it's it's it's got its own brand.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean, Like.
Speaker 2: Castle, nobody's doing really what White Castle's doing. I guess maybe what is Crystal like the is that deposer?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's a little bit more down south. I know it's I know it's like a little bit different, but like I think it's still kind of the same. They have the many sliders. I've never been but anytime I always go south, like you see a plethora of them.
Speaker 2: So let's let's so I would say the most notable soft drink fountain soft drink at a chain restaurant that people will just acknowledge is different. He's got to be McDonald's coke, right, Oh dude, McDonald's coke or sprite. But if you go to like if you're somebody who is in charge of supplying the product, like if you work for Coca Cola and you provide these different restaurants, like you deliver whatever it is that's delivered that they put into the fountain machine to make the drink, And you go to Burger King and you go to McDonald's and they're across the street from each other. Aren't you giving them the same thing? Like? What makes it different?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying I've read some of this and I don't know if really this has too much ado about it.
Speaker 4: Man, This is.
Speaker 2: This is the topic that the serious sports sports radio fans want.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm pretty sure they've there's probably a lot of coat drinkers out there that the.
Speaker 2: Probably you know, that's right. We reach a lot of people.
Speaker 4: We don't kink shame. We said that several times.
Speaker 2: Yeah, live your life.
Speaker 3: But i've heard what the McDonald's thing. Have you heard the theory that they're that their straws are bigger than normal, so like you can guzzle it down a little bit better.
Speaker 2: And I think I have not heard that, but that would make sense as to why it's just different, you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: You can just chug it and slurp it for all by any means, any means. Let me throw one out there that I've not heard a whole lot of people talk about. But I'll stand by it's just different and it's really good, Okay, Elma, Paul.
Speaker 2: Those things are popping up all over Kentucky. Sure they have a and I usually get a thirty two ounce beer and throw it down the neck.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 2: But surveys, but the coke, the Coca cola, the fountain Coca cola, Elma, Paul. It's also like different in a good way, like it's just delicious.
Speaker 3: Do they use like the real like what they call the Mexican coke? That would make sense. Now, it may be just the same as everything else. But I know I've anytime I've drinking that sort of coke, it's just came in like the bottle. You gotta use a bottle open or I don't know if they actually put that in the actual machine.
Speaker 2: As a kid, whenever I would get the glass bottled coca cola, I mean, it was like finding, you know, a rare valuable item.
Speaker 4: Oh dude.
Speaker 2: And now I remember drinking one, probably a couple of years ago, and I keep in mind it's a it's a smaller amount of coca cola than you get really any other thing. I can't there's less of it in that glass bottle than there is in a can, and obviously in twenty ounces. But yet I couldn't finish it. Like it was it was like straight sugar, like straight candy. Okay, And you know it's still it's it's still nostalgic and just something about that glass like I feel like all the commercials when I was a kid watching Coca Cola commercials, Oh yeah, you're only drinking the glass.
Speaker 3: That glass bottle, right, and it is something does feel like very like, I don't know, like fifties about it, very bright boomer type of like. I drink it and I feel like I'm I'm just you know, I'm ready to be drafted.
Speaker 2: So while we're talking drinking, when if you if you are gonna get like if you're gonna go out to dinner with the wife and have it have a drink, are you more of a beer guy? Cocktail like margarita depends on that they have.
Speaker 4: Like a good specialty I or.
Speaker 2: Am I wrong in saying you're not a big beer guy?
Speaker 1: I have.
Speaker 3: I've been, I've been on the beer train, and I wouldn't say I blame you, but like you've your vibes with the bush lattes have gotten me so loved. I get a bush light wherever I go, first of all, because it's like the cheapest and it's smooth, and it's so smooth. Oh my god, it's so good. So I've been like this this past week and I went out to a karaoke bar, and I.
Speaker 2: Just tell you nothing but liquid.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: I don't even need that good, but I just I just like, I just you know, I just like to have it. I'd like to have a good time. I get the crowd involved that start, I start shouting out the bartenders and the DJs, and I show show a lot of love. But I've been I've been on a beer kick when I've been going out recently. But if we go to like a nice restaurant, I might like try like their house old fashioned, or like their house margarite or something. I've been really huge into oh what do they call them with the coffee espresso martiniz, I've been into those.
Speaker 2: So yes, I got the answer I was expecting is that you you'll really you will really mix it up when it comes to having an alcoholic beverage. Rather it be at dinner. Maybe it's a social thing at the karaoke bar. I stick with beer. I mean, I'm pretty I'm pretty simple. I mean, I'm I'm a redneck. I'm from Bullet County and I drink bush Like. That's kind of it's kind of what I do. I stay in my lane. But one thing that has always bothered me about restaurants, and there's a there's a few that are known to at least for me that I've known that I know they have done it many times and talk about like it. It's one of those things that is not a big deal yet I can't help but like be angry about it. Is that if they have like four domestic drafts, rather it be like in a lot of places, like we'll have it. I mean, really, that's that's become a thing now. If you only have that as your options for draft, then you know you're you're you're not really keeping up with the competition. A lot of sports bars, a lot of places that I would go to watch a game, have have have dinner with my family. They're gonna have a lot of different types of beer on draft. But if you only have a few, you're probably gonna have bud Light, Cores Light, Miller Light, and probably if there's a fourth I would say michelobol Tret's say those are like the four most common domestic draft beers, and I'll always order if it's those four, I'll get a bud Light or a Michel. I'm not big on Cores or Miller, although I can.
Speaker 4: Drink it now. I used to be.
Speaker 2: I used to be no, like I couldn't. But but what always has irritated me. And there's at least few there's at least three restaurants in the last year that have done this. And I never make a big deal about it because you know, I don't want to be that guy. But why do people think they can just give you any of those and it's the same thing and you won't notice, you know what I'm saying. If they're changing the keg and they don't have a Miller light ready, they'll they'll bring you above light. Now, some people, if they've already drank a few of them, they may not even notice. Well they just don't know ball then yeah, but yeah, because I feel like, and this is something I've never been able to do this on the show with anybody, because you're the first producer I've had that that you know that I feel like this is something we could do and have fun with because you know, shout no offense to to to my previous producers who I love, it's just they don't they don't drink. But I feel like you could give me all four of those and I would tell you with the millisecond which one is which, so you agree, yes, not like the beer stoms who, like you know, they drink bigfoots, hairy ale and you know, the summer shandy stuff. Like I mean, like, I don't I pas nothing made me fat quicker than than when I switched to I PAS when I was younger made me. So I don't.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't drink those such anymore, although I do. I do think that there's some really, you know, I can find one that I think is good. I'm just not going to go buy a six pack of it or get three of them at a sit down restaurant.
Speaker 3: I feel like me and you are both like drinkers to where like those are sipping beers.
Speaker 4: And we just can't sit Yeah, you know, we demolish them. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So anyways, I feel like I could notice. I could notice the difference, and and like if you if if if First of all, you're paying more for a beer than you're playing paying for a soda at a restaurant, right, it's just a it's a no brainer. So if I ordered sprite and you were changing the sprite and you brought me a mellow yellow like you would never do that. Oh no, So if I'm paying for a beer and you're gonna bring me something that's you know, you think is just the same thing. Like that's not right, it's not a huge deal. A lot of people are thinking, oh, just drink it.
Speaker 4: Shut up.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, it's pea water. It's that light beer that doesn't have any taste. It just tastes like water. Well, I'm paid for it. Like, and it's happened once at an Elma Paul to where I dead like, hey, like, I'm telling you, this is not bud light. This is cores light when it's darker, and they're like, no, no, no, it's not it's not And I said, all right, well whatever, you know, it's not a big deal. But like I'm just telling you that it's not that. And I think they felt, I mean they felt really bad that, like I thought they were lying to me. So then the next time they went and I ended up getting so again it wasn't a big enough deal to where I was mad and left. I got a second one because you know, I was, I was having a night. We were having fun. So he wanted the waiter. He wanted me to watch because not not to be a jerk, but I think he genuinely thought I was. I was like that he was messing with me. So he showed me that he poured it, and I'm like, all right, man, whatever, and then sure and then sure enough he ended up coming back before I finished the second beer, boy and said they connected the kegs wrong. You're right. It's not bud light that's that's Coors lighted. And I was like, I told you, And he was like, how did you notice the difference? And I said, it's a different beer. They're not even made by.
Speaker 3: The same people one and at least with some sodas and some bar because you know some some places that they carry coke products or all these other products. We don't have doctor pepper, but we have h well, my sherry coke.
Speaker 2: You know, like this is I would have never thought to talk about this until we got on this conversation. And it happened on Friday at our Valentine's Day. I mean it was a Valentine's Day dinner, but it was me, the wife and kids. We didn't have some kind of romantic thing. But we went to that little hole in the wall place I was telling you about it yeah, And I could just tell from the beginning of the experience that this waitress probably it was her first day ever being a waitress anywhere, not because of like something terrible, but just like she could just tell she was very either uncomfortable or just new edit or whatever. And my son he wants coke.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: So my wife says he'll have a coke, and she says, we don't have coke. And typically, I mean, I feel like even if you don't work at a restaurant, you would know that they would say, is pepsi?
Speaker 4: Okay?
Speaker 2: Right, Well, she just said we don't have coke and you know, nothing, so just kind of dead air after it. So so I then asked, well, is it not working. She's like, no, we don't. We don't have coke products. So then there's like three seconds of silence, and I'm before I could say anything, she says, we have pepsi, and I'm like, okay, like you know what I'm saying, Like, that's not that's not a terrible thing, that's not being rude. It's just like I've never heard a waitress or a waiter not automatically say if you ask for mister pib we got doctor pepper, right, we want pepsi? We got coke? Like that's just that's not even like something you're trained to do. It's just kind of like second nature. Yeah, especially as like a waitress. Yeah, like there's certain In fact, I don't eat much fast food at all anymore. How many Like is arbi still like a pepsi place? Or are they coke now? Because I can't think of many fast foods that are pepsi products.
Speaker 3: Been a while since I've been to Arby's, but I think that they might be pepsi.
Speaker 2: Like Taco Bell does not have coke, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: They have pepsi. Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Yes, I'm pretty sure Arby's is the same way. I haven't been to Arby's in forever, but I don't hate it as much as everybody else does.
Speaker 2: Oh dude, Arby's. I mean I might have to refinance my home to eat there, but it's good, that's right. I Mean Arby's was expensive before all the others, Like nowadays, every fast food is expensive, but Arby's was charging high dollar amounts before any any any you know, any recession.
Speaker 3: Right, I mean they're like one of the ones that doesn't really have like a value me you too, they haven't upgraded to that or any sort of five dollars combo box or something.
Speaker 2: I've only had Arby's probably three times in the last ten years.
Speaker 4: Good for you. So where you got that body?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I don't know about that. Well, you know, I had a bad experience it in Arby's. That just the thought of it makes me nauseous. Bourbon Street the night after Louisville won the Sugar Bowl out and about needed a bite to eat to soak up some of the alcoholics. We had an early flight the next day and I went to bee I went to the Arby's on Bourbon Street round on the corner, got a beef and shaddar, and as I was eating it, I noticed that the roast beef was crunchy, but yet I still ate it happened and then it was a rough morning in the hotel, rough morning at the airport as well. So that that that's honestly the one like fast food place that I'm I think I'll always remember that crunchy roast beef that it kind of keeps me from from wanting to eat there. But yeah, Arby's has always been expensive and others have just kind of slightly or maybe not slightly, but like they've just kind of adjusted. But one place that used to be really cheap that now is absolutely on the big expensive side. When it comes to just a standard meal at a fast food place, it's Taco Bell. Like Taco Bell when I was in high school, I could have I could have dollars seventy nine in my pocket and go eat good.
Speaker 4: Dude.
Speaker 3: It grosses me out seeing some nostalgia pages where they shows from like two thousand and three, Casadia was three twenty nine. Now a Casady is like having bocks.
Speaker 4: You might as.
Speaker 2: Well just just the one, not even the meal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you might as well just go ahead and spend the extra four dollars for the meal.
Speaker 2: It's it's gross. Just you know, take my wallet and and you know, get me back whatever. Cut me back to two thousand and three, Taco Bell. Can I sign up for financing? You? Do you have financing options for this value meal? The guitar Hero box please, Tucker Bill is so good though, so good? Yes, all right, quick break, welcome back, and maybe we'll talk sports. I don't know I'm gonna make any promises that what the show's about Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, Coffee and Company, about thirty minutes left, which I'm gonna need to rest the voice from now until tomorrow at three o'clock. But hey, feeling better. And it's not like I'm crazy ill, I just a little son asy and man, they're h Have you ever had like a sinus infection?
Speaker 4: A few of them?
Speaker 2: And I'm sure everybody's you know, everybody's different as far as like how a cold can hit you differently than it does somebody else. But for me, the pressure on my face.
Speaker 4: It is, I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean, it's like I can't, I can't put into words is to describe the feeling. But I woke up on well, I guess earlier this morning at like four o'clock, and then the same thing the night before. And that's what gets me is I wake up and it's like there's something inside of my face squeezing it like like closer to my skull. It's just like an iron claw, like like these pressure points. I gotta I gotta like rub certain spots on my cheek and it even like it even hurts my teeth just because of how bad it can get.
Speaker 4: I've had that sensation.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's it's you know, it could be worse. I don't have the flu, which, in all honesty, I'm I'm pretty soft when it comes to, you know, getting sick, and I think more than anything, it's just because I don't really get sick that often, so when I do, I'm like, oh man, this this could be bad. But the flu that has been getting everybody, at least in the last few months, I know so many friends and even colleagues here at work that have had the flu and maybe they get it every so often, maybe once or maybe once every year, maybe once every two years, but it just sounds like whatever version of the flu that is going around right now is as bad as it's ever been. So I'm lucky I didn't get that.
Speaker 4: Do you uh? Are you a big bourbon whiskey drinker?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: No, I mean I know that that's been a good remedy for some people.
Speaker 2: With I miss I miss out on so much like the bourbon culture, like even before it became and it's always been a big thing around here. But like bourbon exploded in the last decade. Sure, it's just I mean distilleries everywhere now. I mean we've always, to an extent probably had people who were into that they would travel here because you know, that's what we do. But now the explosion of it in the last ten years, I mean, it's just crazy how many people travel from across the world to come and experience the bourbon culture that we have here in Kentucky. But I've you know, I've always been jealous of of of that because it just seems like such a cool thing to get into, be a collector, sampling different stuff. It's just I've never It's not like I dislike it.
Speaker 4: I just you never acquired a taste. Yeah, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: Now I will say whenever I would drink bourbon and coke, like when I would go to the bars when I was twenty two twenty three, I mean that that that, you know, if I ever wanted to drink bourbon now, I wouldn't do it that way. But I've had and again, I you know, another thing that makes me feel like I don't belong when it comes to the bourbon culture is that you could give me a bourbon that is insanely rare and insanely expensive, and then one that's not anywhere near that, and I probably wouldn't notice much of a difference.
Speaker 4: And honestly, this is just me completely different from the beer take.
Speaker 2: Yeah exactly. But here's the thing. I think a lot of people will probably in the same boat as me. They just don't want to admit it because there's such a snobby type of you know, like you know culture, you know, I guess not everybody who really loves bourbon is that way, but by what I mean, so like Woodford, Woodford is like my favorite bourbon, and that's not like bottom of a barrel, low end like nasty stuff, but it's all it's obviously not like super hard to find, you know what I mean. So I remember I tried it wasn't like a pappy, But I remember trying a bourbon that that was really rare, and somebody offered it to me, and I mean I think I gave him a look of like ugh, like I didn't like that, and and it hit me like, don't do that again, nick, Like just don't, like just tell them you don't you can't drink it or you don't like it. Ahead of time, because it's like they've given me something that is really valuable that they probably don't give you a lot of people. And I visually gave them a look as if, please never make me drink that again.
Speaker 3: Right, And it's completely different than just like regular like beer or something. There's like there's rye whiskey, and then there's like single barrel and then there's like eight year and stuff like that. All I think, which the all bourbons sort of tastes the same, and I might get some backlash for that, but like and it's in taste of how it goes down and the smoothness of it, and like that after effect of it. Like I've taken bourbon tours, and all the bourbon tours are literally just the same. They try telling you they got this.
Speaker 2: One want I've done those and those are cool, Like those are those are at least a good experience.
Speaker 3: But they're all like they all tell you that they had this specific kind of filter that no one else. It's kind of the same song and dance, yeah yeah, and all of that, all that kind of stuff, and then they also.
Speaker 4: Tell you that there's like a way to actually drink it.
Speaker 3: It's called like the Kentucky hug, and you're supposed to like leave it in your mouth and kind of swish it around and then go ahead and like down it, and then you're supposed to like immediately like breathe out your nose and then you take an exhale from your mouth and then like the way that all the bitters and everything in it that just hits you.
Speaker 4: It's just it.
Speaker 3: It affects from different bourbon to bourbon, and I might be explaining that wrong, but there is a way to drink bourbon and get the actual full taste of everything that's in there, like out of the way that you drink it.
Speaker 2: And when I've and that maybe that's why I've actually had a good experience on all all of the different tastings and tours that we've done. Because I have family that that doesn't live here that'll come into town and if we've if they're here for a certain amount of time, we'll make it a point to go to one of those the distilleries because they're very much into bourbon, and those are things I always enjoyed doing.
Speaker 4: It cool to go to, yeah.
Speaker 2: And they're educational again, but it also just makes me feel like man, this is kind of what we do. We are, we are the Bourbon Country, and I just feel like such a poser because, like I mean, I wish I could say that, like I have acquired the taste, and I really like know what I'm talking about. But to your point, when you go to the like and the people who put those tours on, I've never been on one to where I wasn't impressed by the person who not only was taking us around and showing us and educating us on how it all works, but also, like you said, if they give you those little tips on how to consume it and what to do, it does make a difference.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Now if you just like shoot it back, then it's all probably gonna take the same waste. Yeah, it's gonna it's a waste, and it will probably just hurt your esophagaus the way it goes.
Speaker 2: It'll burn, that's for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: All right, so real quick, this is a wild stat and Rick Patino right now. I thought about this earlier. The glow up for Rick as we speak is something I'm not sure anybody would have ever predicted. It's been a long time since he got booted out of town. But if you remember the first the first few months after that happened, when it obviously still looked really bad for him. He was coached to how could he look. I'm not here to say that Rick has never done anything wrong at UVEL, but I do think as time has played out, you realize, like Rick would have killed somebody quite literally had he known that there was a stripper party, prostitution type of thing going on within his program. Now again it's his responsibility to know that that's happening, but either way, like that's not Rick. Also the whole Brian Bowen thing, Like his ego would never let anybody think that they were going to be paid to play for him because he's Rick Patino. He would actually think you owe him money if he's going to coach you. Like again, I know it sounds like I'm kissing his ass, but I mean more so just because of how he's wired. So around that time, when it looked as if, like you know, we were gonna hate him forever because of another scandal that we had on our hands, I don't think anybody would have predicted seven eight years later, whatever it is, that he'd be sitting where he is with a really really good Saint John's team. There's a Vice TV documentary series that is people are loving and you know, nobody ever claimed the guy isn't a great coach. But it just kind of seems like the glow up now has never been put it this way. I feel like he is being talked about now more positively than really he ever has. And I don't mean as a good coach, because even when people would bring up how awful the Katina pal stuff was, and even the Karen Ceipher stuff in the Brian Bowens, like even during those rough stretches for Rick Patino, nobody was saying he was a bad coach. We've always known he's a great coach. But to see what he's doing at Saint John's him, to me, he is a great example. If I was ever going to give examples to people about how you can use social media, you can use you know platform like Twitter or you know, doing interviews, doing pot like Rick Patino used to used to be such a larger than life thing that he hated social media, said it was the worst thing for society. He was larger than life. Like you you know, you never had any access to him. Well, now, I mean he's doing things like acting like he's Kentucky Basketball's grandpa and telling them that they need to behave and not Boo Caliperi. He's you know, saying that his players or no, saying that that the Saint John's fans that are that are yelling they want Yukon, they're just drunk, like he's just there's a different side of Rick that we're seeing now that we've never seen before. And part of it is that I think he has changed, but also I think it's just because he now realizes like he can become a little bit more endearing to people whenever he's you know, a little more relatable, right, Like he's sharing pictures of his grandkids on Twitter, Like who would have ever thought Rick Patino would ever do that? So anyways, I just it is wild because I think what's happened. I was on with Joe Elliott on Saturday Morning on HAS and he really you know, went out of his way to talk about how he feels like I shouldn't say he went out of his way, but he said that it seems like both fan bases Louisville and Kentucky are seemingly happy for Rick to have this success. And he never thought he would see that, And I agree, like, you never really know how things are gonna play out. And sometimes, man, we get so caught up in the emotions that come with being diehard fans of our basketball programs around here that like, it's just from an emotional standpoint when we say certain things, like imagine telling Kentucky fans they would have ever given him a round of applause when he came back to Big Blue Madness with Mark Pope, like you would have never thought that. But you know, things change over time. So I'm sure there are Kentucky fans and louisvill fans out there that right now still don't like Patino and think, you know, think poorly of him for whatever reasons they may have. But I do get the sense that enough time is passed here for Louisville and then clearly with Kentucky. I mean, they now have a guy leading their program that they love who was a captain for Rick Patino and an era that really helped Kentucky basketball. I mean, without the nineties, what is Kentucky's brand? It would still be good, but that era, and I know he only won one title, but for for Rick to be the rock star that he was in the nineties at Kentucky and be a you know, and leave that job, you know, from the Knicks to Kentucky and then back to the NBA with the Celtics. And I mean, I still think some of those teams he had in the nineties, ninety six, ninety seven, I having that team, honestly, one that didn't win the title, was one of the most talented teams I've ever seen in college basketball. So this documentary series on Vice, I haven't watched it yet. I don't know if I will. But you know, you're seeing a side of Rick that you don't see unless you're in the locker room playing for him. And these are the kind of things that like only Rick. I shouldn't say only Rick, but Rick can talk to players this way with his resume, a guy who if he takes see if he takes Saint John's to the Final four this year, he will have taken four different school to a Final four. Nobody will ever do more than two. I don't think. I mean, I guess Cal did with I guess Cal could because Cal has Memphis Arkansas Arms are Memphis UMass in Kentucky, which by the way, there's a reason why, Like when those two guys were here together, like they're just different, and I think we knew it at the time, but now that more time has passed, like we'll never get anything like that. Those guys are. I mean, there's both still coaching, and who knows, maybe one of them wins the title before it's all said and done. But their presence and just their their overall I guess it's fame. Fame doesn't feel like the right word to use there, but anyways, This is a clip that's gone viral on social media. It's just a snippet from one of the episodes of this Vice Sports docu series on Rick Bettino. This is him talking in the locker room, and I just feel like he's the kind of coach with his resume and what he's proven as a coach, like he can still give this kind of a speech to somebody, to a team in the locker room and it's gonna hit like nobody else.
Speaker 5: Diggon and be a basketball player.
Speaker 3: Dig in.
Speaker 5: Every time you miss a shot your game to flates. We don't care about your misshots. Play defense. You guys, keep blowing opportunity upon opportunity upon opportunity. You're like children with bad things happening. Instead of thinking it's be tougher, you wilt. Where is your toughness? Where have you guys been raised that you're so weak mentally that you just give up when something doesn't go right for you? Don't you know what adversity is all about. That's the game of life, not the game of basketball. You don't get down when things go wrong. You're digging and get tougher. Your whole life's gonna be adversity. Learnt to deal with it.
Speaker 2: Patino, Red Storm Rising Tuesdays at ten. So it's on Vice, which I don't have, but Vice, I mean, I don't even really know what they were mostly known for, but they have and I don't know who owns them, because I believe it's the same people who used to own those like Fox Sports regional channels that have been sold like three times in the last five years. It seems yes, and they you know, clearly they don't have good ownership as far as I mean, they're not monetizing their product very well because it's insanely hard to get I only know the last I knew as far as how you like what subscription you needed to have to get Vice was at and t's like cable package. But I'm not even sure if it's still available then, so I'm not even sure how you watch. I mean, if I was gonna watch it, I would just buy it on iTunes. That's what I've done with some other stuff that Advice does. But they do that kind of television, that kind of content, like the documentary behind the scenes stuff really really well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they have a.
Speaker 2: They do a Dark Side of a lot of different things, but they have a Dark Side of the Ring, a show that's that's had at least five six seasons and it just shows like wrestling, professional wrestlers and sort of you know, things that have that have gone wrong in their life and sort of how they end up there. And it's just so well done. So I'm tempted to watch it, but I don't know. I like Rick a lot as a coach, just because I think he's so good.
Speaker 4: He gave us.
Speaker 2: A lot of really good teams here that have been such a factor in me being the diehard fan than I am. Because again, I was born when Denny was two years removed from the eighty six title. He never got another one after that, and I remember really appreciating some of Denny's teams in the nineties, but I was really young and then Rick Matino got here and things were different, So you know, I I don't think we're at a point where like fans get bothered when his name comes up. But I also don't want to feel like I would never want to and I don't think I will. But like, if I was to watch this, it would almost feel like I'm leaning more to just being both a Rick and a Louisville fan. And I don't I mean, and I'm not. I mean, like, I hope Rick does fine, but I'm not losing sleep when he loses a game or anything like that. There's just there's still like he's the X, you know what I mean, Like I need a comfortable balance with the X and watching him every so often on FS one when he's playing Yukon, that's one thing. But to watch like the behind the scenes documentary about Saint John's and Rick Patino, that would make it feel like I'm I'm giving the ex a little more of my attention than I should be. Does it makes sense?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Absolutely, I just I you know, maybe I'll watch it.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I mean I've had I've had the same thought just because you, well.
Speaker 2: You're a little younger than me, so I think it's different for you. I mean, like Rick, Rick is really all you know with.
Speaker 3: Leuis of basketball, right, it literally is I've been spoiled by him.
Speaker 2: And then it just and it'd be impossible for you to just like hate Hi.
Speaker 4: Wouldn't it Exactly.
Speaker 3: I'd never hated and I didn't hate him during everything that he's went through, but it it just more or less makes me sad because that's what I don't have anymore. And it's not nothing against our current regime, but like that's what I'm like, we used to see that with you know, our players, and you know, he's he's a complete lunatic for the game of basketball, and I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think really to know that Pat Kelsey's you know, seemingly open and I mean, look Patino doing the video for the two thousand and five Final four team. That was awesome and that that I think was like with the first step and like potentially like where we can all just agree he's not our coach, but he kind of still will always be our coach in a way, and we like him. I mean, I don't know, maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but we got to get to a quick break. We'll come back on the other side and wrap this thing up. Don't go anywhere, keep it locked right here. On Sports Talk seven ninety so we got caught up talking about the x Rick Patino and completely lost track of time, didn't we no time left before we have to to say goodbye here. So I'm hopeful that tomorrow my voice will be in a little bit of a better, a better, a better spot. I mean, wouldn't you agree Austin that it was? It got a little worse as the show.
Speaker 4: Went on, but just a little bit.
Speaker 3: But hey, you know you can you you can tell, but you know you're a pro.
Speaker 4: And you power through it exactly.
Speaker 2: It's all I can do.
Speaker 3: You got to take a couple of halls, maybe have some I don't know if you're I know you don't like coffee, but maybe might be like a tea guy.
Speaker 2: Maybe, yeah, tea guys something something to get this voice uh back alive because it's it's fading on me. But anyways, have a good night, everybody, stay safe. I know the roads are probably gonna be too arrible, so have a good night.