Speaker 1: The Coca Cola Company, cure of Doctor Pepper and Pepsi co are bringing consumers more choices with less sugar than ever before, from sparkling, flavored and bottled waters to zero sugar sports drinks, teas and sodas. Consumers are taking advantage of these choices. In fact, nearly sixty percent of beverages sold contains zero sugar. To learn more of visit balanceus dot org.
Speaker 2: It is Ryan here and I have a question for you. What do you do when you win?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Are you a fist pumper, a wooo, a handclapper, a high fiver? I kind of like the high five. But if you want to hone in on those winning moves, check out Chumbuck Casino. At chumbacasino dot com, choose from hundreds of social casino style games for your chance to redeem serious cash prizes. There are new game releases weekly, plus free daily bonuses, so don't wait start having the most fun ever at Chumbuck Casino dot com. Noeb just necessary daily REVOI wherever if I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus love.
Speaker 4: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them, Gasey Bundy, Dahmer, The Nightstalker BTK. Every week, another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupansky.
Speaker 5: Good Evening. This is your host Dan Zupanski for the program True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that are written about them. On April twentieth, nineteen ninety nine, Eric Harris and Dylan Claybold left an indelible stamp on the American psyche. Their plan was staggering to blow up their school, surpass Oklahoma City in horror, and leave a lasting impression on the world. The bombs failed, but the unpreprecedented attack unleashed a new era of violence in schools, branding every future shooting another Columbine. When we think of Columbine, we think of the Trench Code Mafia, Cassie Bernew Mistaken Columbine Martyr, and Patrick Ireland, the boy in the window, the whole world watching his gutsy escape. Now, in a gripping work of journalism, a full decade in the making, comes a story we never knew in this revelatory book, Dave Cullen debunks the myths and produces a profile of teen killers that burrows to the core of psycho pathology. He reveals two radically different killers, Eric Harris, the callously brutal mastermind, and Delan Claybold, the quivering depressive who journaled obsessively about love and attended the Columbine from three days before opening his opening fire, Columbine unfolds seamlessly in an unforgettable tale of two honor students with a healthy circle of friends, secretly stockpiling a cache of weapons in the basement. They recorded their vituol on film while manipulating every adult who could have stopped them. Described by Cullen with a sharp investigative eye and psychological acumen. Calling from testimony a pardon, calling from hundreds of interviews, thousands of police files, testimony from world class psychologists brought in by the FBI, and the boys videos and journals, he delivers the first comprehensive account of the tragic Columbine School shooting, a riveting tale of murder, redemption, police cover up, and a town torn apart. The haunting cautionary tale for our age Columbine with my special guest Dave Collin. Welcome to the program, and thanks you to agree to this interview. Dave Colin, Hi, thanks for having me. Dan, thank you very much. First off, if you could tell us a little bit about why and how you became involved in why you decided to write Columbine, your book about this tragedy.
Speaker 6: Sure, well, it was a very slow evolutionary process. I never really set out to write a book initially. I was a journalist and writer living in Denver, and I was a freelance journalist then and I just happened to turn on the TV just as it was getting started, as the first local news reports were coming on, and I thought it would probably be nothing severe. There were no reports of injuries, and I figured, you know, I was kind of optimistic. I assumed that nobody was hurt. But I decided to go out there just in case. And I didn't know where it was. I'd never heard of Columbine out in the far western suburbs, out near the Rockies, and so I got my car and drove in the general direction. And as I was driving them the highway out there, I saw out the window to my south an arc of helicopters circling around like vultures, and it was a terrible I'm in a sign of like six or eight of them, and I couldn't believe it, and I realized, Wow, that must be it. And that was the first moment where my heart sank and I realized it was much worse than I thought. I had no idea how bad, and I still didn't really think anybody had been killed, but I thought it was something bad, and so I literally just drove toward the helicopters and I drove till I hit a police barricade, and then I got out and ran on foot, and you know, of course, it turned out to be what it was. And I wrote a story for a website web magazine Salon dot com that day, and then they wanted me to keep covering it, so I stayed out up there and worked it every day, and then I worked on a longer piece that took nearly a month, where I reported on the evangelical Christians, and I decided to sort of immerse myself in that world. I enrolled at Bible study at Cassie Burnell's church and various things, and then after the first month, I thought I was done. I remember telling people, I thank goodness, you know, I never want to cover another murder again. And you know, that was a It was a rough experience, and I really thought I was done, but I kept getting drawn back because I felt like we hadn't really understood it and we didn't know why these boys had done it. So I kept coming back and coming back, and I did a long investigative peace and broke some news and just that that didn't satisfy me. Then I had to eventually get to the psychologist, and that took a couple of years because the FBI wasn't allowed to talk to people, and it took me a couple of years to get permission to talk to them, sort of hounding them, and gradually, over time I realized that there was an incredible story here, was much bigger than people understood, and that it would make an interesting book, and that I wanted to devote. I fought a couple of years to it, and I had no idea it would stretch out and take ten years to do. I don't think I have afforded. I don't think I would have done it if I had known going in that it would take ten years. If somebody had said that this would take ten years to do, I would have tried something else. But yes, of course not, it just worked out. Now, Yes, can you take us back to the community where this occurred for those people that don't know Jefferson County here will tell us where this is located in the US, and take us back and sort of describe the community for those people that don't know. Yeah, well, it's just outside of Denver. It's you know, in Denver. We refer to it as the Metroplex, and it's on the very edge of suburban sprawl, on the western edge, and it's about probably forty minutes from downtown. And it's sort of an interesting area that was mostly populated in the seventies, sort of flight from the cities. And until that time when Combine was actually built, Oh no, I'm forgetting in the seventies, I believe, and it was. It was built on a dirt road surrounded by horse ranches, and so it was sort of a very Old West character. And this is when Denver really hadn't reached that far. But suddenly the people were coming. So suddenly all these subdivisions went up in rapid order, and you know, it became quite a large, densely relatively densely populated area, I mean dense suburban, but they never incorporated what you And that's one of the things of understanding this area is is there were a couple different referenda over time about incorporation, but the people didn't want to. The sort of anti government there. Uh so there's no town. It's just out in the in the country. So there's no police department. They use the fire department from the neighboring county, and there's a school district county wide, and then you know, there's no police force, so they just used the county sheriff's patrols and there's a small investigative unit and so forth. So that's why those people ended up being having jurisdiction just sort of this weird sort of country suburbani ish area with with no downtown. So in some ways there's a lot of like a lot of other suburbs, but I called it New Combine an old Columbine. There's still a lot of flavor of the people who've been here there for one hundred years or more in their families and sort of very west and then it's got the suburban character with most people who didn't even come from Colorado who you know, from all over the US immigrants, So there's sort of a mix of different kinds of people. It's it's relatively affluent, i'd say upper middle class, barely upper middle to upper middle.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So I well, I'll think give you a bit of an eye of an idea nice school, nice uh you know, clean, very low crime wide streets and couldest acts and that sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Right now, tell us a little bit about Dylan Claibold's early life growing up and where he was, where he originated from, and tell us about his parents and just generally how his life really was growing up.
Speaker 6: Well, Dylan grew up in the area and his parents were both well they were both art majors in college. They med at Ohio State University, and they were who they definitely weren't hippies. They were sort of artsy, intellectual, uh, kind of altruistic and uh optimistic people and sort of romantic. I think really the key to understanding them is that they had two boys, and they named them both after romantic poets. Uh. Dylan was named after Dylan Thomas, and so that that gives you a sense of who they were. They were very idealistic, anti gun they didn't never have guns in the house. And Tom actually eventually got a major in uh I believe it was geophysics, and and started in the oil business and did well there, and then they had some rental operating on the side, and that was successful enough that he started managing them full time as his job several years before Columbine. And then his wife Sue, as a very outgoing person, and she worked in the local community college system and worked with some special needs students.
Speaker 7: And with Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 3: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today.
Speaker 4: Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 8: Maury?
Speaker 6: Sorry we're here.
Speaker 3: We were getting lucky in the limo and we lost track of time.
Speaker 2: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registering.
Speaker 8: In that case, I pronounce you Lucky Hiks.
Speaker 7: For free Lucky Landslots dot com. Daily bonuses are waiting. No purchase necessary board. We're prohibited by lock eight team plus terms and conditions applag see website for details.
Speaker 6: And Dylan and they got a property God it's hard for to describe to people who don't live there. It's out what's called out has the hog Back, which is like a row of you know, we call them foothills there, but they're higher than any point in the whole Appalachian Range, so they're about the Hogback is maybe five six seven hundred feet high, and like Cleveland's had a property just beyond that, so it's really kind of secluded. There's a path that you go through in what looks like mountains. There's a little pass, and then behind them there's this beautiful valley and people are probably seeing Red Rocks Amphitheater on television, HBO specials or wherever they're you know, lots of major acts do concerts and fill them there because it's just extraordinary beautiful. That's just a few miles from there, and and the valley they live in looks like sort of a mini Red Rocks and so it's sort of an idyllic place where dealing with sometimes go out with their friends with the Browns and go out, you know, fishing and you know, just doing sort of like HWK Sawyer come or excuse me, Huck Finn Tom Sawyer sort of things. Out in the in the wood. So it was sort of a it was more of a country area at that time when he was a boy, until the people started coming well, just as he was growing up the suburban area sort of reached out there to almost meet them.
Speaker 5: What was his character like as as a young boy, and were there and what were if there were any? Were there any noticeable problems? Uh noticed that school, we'll say, for example, or any run ins with the law at a young age. We save, we saved before high school.
Speaker 6: No, there were definitely no run ins uh until really the year before Columbine. Uh. He was he did very well, but he was extraordinarily shy. He was put in he was very bright, and he was put into a gifted program I believe in second grade, uh called CHIPS I think the acronym was for but it was a special program for gifted pro kids. It was very very bright, and but he was he was peefully shy with strangers, but then with people he knew, he was really warm and sort of cheerful. Judy Brown, who was a neighbor at that time, described how, uh you know, she she would take the boys out a lot, you know, doing sort of fun boy stuff. She was sort of the uh uh, tomboyish mom in the neighborhood would take them out, and Judy said that, you know, Dylan would see her and would come run up and smile and run up and hurl himself into her lap and hug and it was very affectionate with people that he knew, but really really standoffish and afraid around new people. And that really wasn't such an issue when he was small because the gifted program was a really small, selective program, so he was with the same kids year after year, with you know, occasional kids would be added to the program over time or would move into the area, but for the most part, he was like a school within a school within a relatively small grammar school, and so it was a very small group and he felt very comfortable there. But when he went to middle school in sixth grade, that's a much bigger school and sort of several grammar schools fed into that middle school, and he really had trouble fitting in. So not only did the school I think tripled in size, but then they didn't have the gifted program, so he went out into the mainstream and so it was his circle of peers of classmates was you know, many times larger, and he never really adjusted to that. His parents felt that they knew that he was going to have trouble that he because he was shy, but they thought that he would get over it, but he never really did. And then when he went to high school it continued and he remained that way all the way until the end. And you know, particularly with girls, he was shy and would be afraid to speak around strange girls. And so that was sort of the nagging thing that his parents worried about, and they figured that he would grow out of it, you know, hopefully when he went to college. I mean they were hoping first of all over high school. Then maybe when he went to college. A lot of people sort of come into their own later on, and they didn't realize it also during high school that he was terribly depressed because he was quiet and morose around other people, but they weren't around him, and he was really close, especially with his father Tom, and so they didn't realize how badly that he was hurting inside. And we know now how badly he was hurting because he kept a journal for the last two years of his life and he gave the entry, so we know when they were taking place, and the very first entry he mentions suicide. And you know, it's a safe bet that that wasn't the first time he thought about it, because he's he's he's very open about It's clear from his writing that he's already thought about this. So no telling how much further earlier he was contemplating it, We just have no record. But so he's, yeah, he was contemplating suicide for two years through high school and really in a journal talking about how depressing his life was, how miserable, sometimes lashing out at God quite frequently for you know, giving him this horrible life, Why did you do this to me? He sort of presents himself almost as a job figure a lot of the time in the journal. So he's really really struggling. And his parents knew that he was struggling, but they didn't They had no idea that it was that bad. And to Cleebold, just a few years ago wrote a really amazing piece for Oprah's old magazine talking about that and saying in that retrospect and and and seeing reading his journals, she can see that, but she had no idea at the time, and trying to alert other moms really of the danger that if you see a kid, you see some of these warning signs to get them help. So in retrospect that makes sense. But but but other than that, you know, I think the most outsiders. He looked like a you know, a typical teenage boy who's sulking.
Speaker 5: A lot right now. Tell us about Eric Harris, his father Wayne and Kathy, and his wife has part of me? His mother Kathy, and if he had any siblings, and when did the the two of them Dylan and Eric actually first meet.
Speaker 6: Well, Eric is a polar opposite of Dylan. I mean he's almost you know, the flip side in a lot of respects. They have some similarities. They are both very bright, and they had some of the same interests that liked video games and enjoyed bowling and some of their activities. As far as their personalities, they were like night and day. And I'll back up a little bit. Dylan or Eric was a military brat, as they refer to themselves. His dad was a an officer in the US Air Force. He was in for twenty years. He eventually he retired as a a major and he was a test pilot so they moved every few years and now five or six different UH cities. He liked, Well, the city's towns. They're mostly you know, small army towns in places like I was mis pronounces Ocella, Michigan and sort of northern uh northeast Michigan, uh Plattsburgh, New York. Really you know, small army and air force towns. I shouldn't say armory town's. I was in the herring, so I think of them as army towns, but it was air force. And so they were moving around a lot. Uh. Eric had one older brother. Both Eric and Dylan each had one brother who was about two years older than them. And you know, they did a lot of Eric did a lot of you know, playing army games with his brother and some other friends when they were kids. And we know this because Eric wrote about it in some of his school papers. UH just sort of describing his childhood in a lot of different places and and talk about that sort of fantasizing about it being a marine. When he grew up, they met, Eric and Dylan met uh oh and Kathy for the most part worked inside the home. She had some part time UH work, but you know, she was moving every few years as an officer's wife, and so you know, she'd have to be changing jobs every couple of years and took care of the boys for the most part, and and you know, people in the in the Air Force unit. So Eric, Eric's dad, Wayne was was very strict. He was, you know, a typical military man. And Eric seems like a pretty normal kid as far as we can tell. He was fairly shy as a kid, not not nearly as much as Eric, but he sort of came into his own around junior high. High school, he started coming out of his shell. And Eric and Dylan met in junior high the Harris Is. After Wayne retired from the Air Force, they relocated to outside of Denver, to jeff Coo and so Eric Diller went to the same middle school and that's where they met. And nobody actually remembers. There's very conflicting reports of exactly when they met, but it was probably seventh grade and they started hanging around somewhat. They become became closer in high school and kind of a circle of a few different friends. They were really close with Zach Heckler, another kid named Zach Heckler early on, and that was sort of the threesome did allow things together in the early years in high school, and there were like four or five or six of them that that tended to hang out a lot. But they said sort of a tight circle of friends. And Eric was getting more and more confident and aggressive, and he would walk right up to girls and introduce himself, chat them up. And actually both of the boys got jobbed at Black Tech Pizza, which is a chain sort of like Domino's step.
Speaker 3: Into the world of power, loyalty and luck. I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse. With family canoli's and spins mean everything. Now you want to get mixed up in the family business. Introducing the Godfather at Champa Casino dot com. Test your luck in the shadowy world at the Godfather Slodge.
Speaker 8: Someday I will call upon you to do a service for me.
Speaker 3: Play the Godfather now at Champacasino dot com.
Speaker 1: Welcome to the Family vdW group. No purchase necessary.
Speaker 3: I believe were primitted by loss.
Speaker 5: He terms and conditions.
Speaker 7: Eighteen plus Lucky.
Speaker 8: Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten.
Speaker 7: Lucky Lucky in line of the Delhi, I guess ah my dent this office more than once.
Speaker 6: Actually, do I have to say?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 2: You do in the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 8: Really?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Excuse me?
Speaker 8: What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 6: I never win?
Speaker 3: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 2: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 8: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 2: We're just necessary avoid my long eighteen plus terms conditions plus what's every degails?
Speaker 6: And you know, Eric would sometimes they'd meet girls of the mall and Eric would say, you know, coming in black jack and I'll slip your free pizza pizza. Sometimes the girls would and you know, he would sort of use that as a technique. And nothing was too out of the ordinary. You're seem too out of the ordinary, he said.
Speaker 3: Though.
Speaker 6: Air was very charming, good with people, sort of schmoozer a schmoozer, which is typical for a psychopath. And eventually he started having more and more grandiose ideas and fantasies about killing lots of people. And his fantasies really revolved around annihilating the entire planet, of killing the human race. That's what most of his fantasies that he writes about centered on So I think with a lot of killers, readers or people in the public assume he sort of somebody would like Eric would work his way up to like, oh, I want to kill one person, No, I'll kill ten, No I'll kill fifty or whatever, and sort of working their way up to what they would do it in their fantasies. It was really the opposite of Eric. It was scaling down his fantasies to what he could realistically do. And he started keeping a notebook. It wasn't a journal in the classic sins of a journal. It was more of a notebook to leave a record of the mass murder that he was planning. So it was specifically about the murder plan and documenting it, rather than Eric is like a kid pouring out his thoughts and feelings about everything under the sun. Eric started his journal a year before Columbine, so that's when we have a really good record of his thinking. And he also dated his entries conveniently for us and a year ahead of time. A year before Columbine he started it, and he's already planning mass murder and the first phrase of the journals, I hate the effing world where he's spelled it out and he really hated everyone. And a few months after that, in one of the entries, he's talking about how he wants to destroy all of Denver and how beautiful this scene he's imagining with all of downtown Denver in flames, the skyscrapers burning to the ground, and he's done it all. And in the middle of that sort of fantasy about what he'd liked to do, he starts complaining and he says, you know how hard about bombs are? He I titled one of the chapters bombs are Hard because of actual quote from Eric, and he says, you know how hard it is to produce just one bomb or to blow up one building. It takes a lot of work, and you know, it takes all his resources and I can't do all that. And so he realizes he's realistic. He's not delusional. He's not somebody like Joe from Virginia Tech who's deeply mentally ill. Eric knows exactly what he's doing. He's very rational and realizes, you know, he can't gather enough explosives to to blow up downtown Denver, And he finally realizes, okay, I can. I can do his one building, I can do his school. And he can't get truckloads of fertilizer like Tim McVeigh. But he can build propane bombs like you've seen on the internet or from the well. He downloaded the anarchist cookbook and learned how to do these. Luckily, he did them incorrectly, but he realized he would do a series of I think there were seven big propane bombs, and that was sort of the backbone of the plan, is to blow up the school and kill most of the people in it.
Speaker 5: Okay, just before we go into the entire plan, which also included after that of killing rescue workers.
Speaker 6: As well, and three acts.
Speaker 5: Let's just go back to what it seems like, if not that I put too much stake in this as a real catalyst. But this did occur, and then these journals started after that, tell us about the van break in and Dylan and Eric being caught for their crimes, the result and what happened after that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay, well let me back up just lately. Even before that, is that Eric had had a gradual progression in his sort of criminal career, if you want to call it that, which which definitely was leaning toward a life of crime. There's sophomore year, they had these series of just vandalism things which Eric sort of grandiosely referred to as the missions. Actually in his website we have documented then uh he would write about them, which were it was a little worse than just uh, you know, cheeping or toilet papering people's yards. They would crazy glue mailboxes together and and and uh screw up their alarm systems and uh but and then they were throwing you know, throwing off firecrackers and building and putting fire crackers together for larger explosions. And so it was a sort of coordinated, nasty, little uh uh series of vandalism. And that's the first recorded sort of petty crime uh that we have of Eric that he documents himself. So definitely was a sophomore You know, lots of kids do that. You know, it wasn't anything terrible, but what we do see it as an early step so late in that one of the things they do is they steal some signs, and not just from somebody's house but from a business. And that's where we see his first sort of petty theft. So he's moved on to theft. Then one semester they started stealing computer supplies from the school. So Eric and Delan were both right, and they were they volunteered in different activities and they were uh in the computer club, and so they had access to some computer equipment and they started stealing it and and that went down to the course of at least a semester. They got caught in one of those and had to return some of the things. I'm trying to well. Eric also claimed there's no evidence that he actually did this, but he claimed that he was, that he had a scammer. He was stealing visa information and then you know, using it. But there's there's no record of him getting any of the money. That was probably know him bragging about something that he was planning and wanting to do and hadn't figured out how to do yet. But you can definitely see this this progression. And then they started stealing more and more things, and just a little more than a year before the murders, in January of nineteen ninety eight, they were out one night on I think it was a Friday night, and they were kind of bored and they drove out into the country and pulled over to this little strip on the side of the road, to sort of gravel strip, and it just we're breaking things and then we're like. It was a place where sometimes people would pull over and drink beers, high school kids or college kids and drink beer and leave their empty bottles out there, and Eric and Dylan were picking up the bottles and smashing them, uh, you know, just for fun. And some high school brats can dooo sometimes, so they were doing that. They got bored with that, and they're looking around for something else, and there was just one there was a van parked out there and just left there out sort of in the middle of the nowhere, which seemed kind of odd. And they went over and looked inside and it was all kinds of interesting looking stuff inside, electronic gizmos that looked like and so they decided they wanted to break in and steal it. And they took a couple of different rocks, tried smashing the windows, and they were really surprised that, you know, Carl Winders didn't smash as easily as I thought they would. So they were going for bigger rocks.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 6: They were new to this sort of thing until they finally found a big enough rock and smashed through the window, and then they started just pulling all this stuff out, houlding all this stuff out of there and piling it into their car, and you know, they were just delirious with joy of just like getting away. It was something they didn't even know what this stuff was. In fact, in the police record of it, you know, Dylan, they had to say what they had, you know, admit to what they had stolen, and Dylan gave a list of things. You know. It was sort of like a yellow thing with wires sticking out of it, and and so they didn't even know what this stuff was or really care. It was more, you know, about the thrill of stealing. So they did that, and this was at night, and they piled them in their car, and then they got the heck out of there and they drove toward Dylan's house on the other side of the hog back into the state park and pulled over in a state in the parking lot of the state park to look at all the stuff, and they turned a little dome light out in the car to look at it. I didn't really think about the fact that the parking lot was deserted because the park closes at sunset, so you weren't supposed to be in there, and they're going through all this stuff and didn't realize that, you know, they're just like with a light on. They're just like a beacon to anybody driving around in the area. And it's you know, it's mountainous. There's lots of high ground around and and they, uh, well, I forget now whether there was a state trooper or a county trooper, you know, patrolling the area. Seizes right on in the in the state park, which is supposed to be closed. So he drives down there, pulls out. The boys are so oblivious and so excited about what they're doing and discussing and going through all their loot and seeing what it all is, that they don't even notice this cop pull up behind them, get out of his car, stand there in his watch and listen and the cop is just listening and recording what they're saying and can hear them. And they get out of the car, you know, and then they'sadly like, oh, we better take care of this before somebody catches us. And I mean, I mean it's a sort of comical now because there were just goofball kids about it. So they get out of the car to go put it in the trunk, and that's when the cop shines the flash light in their head and they're they're totally busted. So he takes them in and amongst they're charged with three felonies for this because it was it was more than a thousand dollars worth of equipment. And you know, Dylan immediately confesses and said, yes, we did it, and blah blah blah tells the whole story because they were taking the separate rooms, of course and interrogated separately. So Dylan confesses to everything. Eric blames Dylan, which is just like him that you know, it was mostly his idea, but of course he points the finger at Dylan immediately just whatever to get himself out of trouble. And so their parents were called, I mean, they were arrested, they were fingerprinted, put through the whole process. Their parents had to come and bail them out, and then they were charged with three phonies, which is you know serious, They could do, you know, time in prison for us, and of course they were they're grounded there. Their parents were both just furious but also agast and you know, couldn't believe that there, you know, very kid sort of uh brilliant boys have been charged with felonies. So Eric's parents, in particular, well Wayne, decided they had to get him to see a shrink. And and Wayne kept a notebook of his own wait and see the stuff documented called all sorts of different psychiatrists and psychologists interviewing them to see who was who would be the best fit. So you can see how seriously he's taken this. He didn't just say, oh, send the boy to a shrink and you know, call somebody. He took an active role, so you can see the kind of hands on parenting that he's actually doing to get him to see somebody. And and and actually put him on an antidepressive. They put him on zoloft and for several weeks and then that wasn't it didn't seem effective, and so they switched him to lubax. So you know, they were very hands on about this. But Eric was even much more furious about this. And it's really typical for a psychopath to have that kind of reaction because there's so much about power and control everything that they're incredible control freaks and so if you can imagine somebody who's a control freak, where you take complete control of his life, where now Eric's dad is just watching his every move and he's grounded, he can't leave the house. They're onto him. And then the kids applied for and were allowed into this program called Diversion where most kids have this where the kids have to for juveniles if you get into trouble, if it's your first defense, and basically it's a year long program where you have to do several things, you know, make restitution to the victim, apologize, go through anger management, and lots of different classes, see a counselor every couple of weeks. You have to do urine test periodical randomly, to do drug screen and alcohol screen, so you have to you know, abstain from from doing any of that. And then if you completed successfully, Oh and you have to do community service. And then if you've complete that successfully and I believe a year and then your record is cleaned for another year afterwards, then it's expunged from your record. And so they were in that program and heavily monitored. But Eric, Eric str didn't like it. I mean, you know, Dylan wasn't thrilled with having to do all this stuff. But for him it wasn't it wasn't like an emotional thing like with Eric, it was how dare these people do this? And who is this judge to sentence me to this program? Who who is this you know, bleeping social worker or counselor that I have to go report to every two weeks? So he would he really snowed the counselor, because we have the record of the councilor made notes every session every two weeks, and and Eric is going in there and snowing first heard than him.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 6: It was two different counselors over time, but he was just snowing them and making them think that he was just this wonderful, lovable kid. Meanwhile, he would go home after the sessions and write, you know how much he hated them and how dare they you know, they were inferior beings. He was the you know, he should be in charge of the whole system, and it just infuriated him all the more. So, you're right, if there was it was a very gradual progression in Eric's fantasizing, in his road from sort of petty criminal to mass murderer. But there was that one moment that ramped things up, and that was probably it where you know, he had so much of his control taken away from him, and that is just infuriating to a psychopath. And you know, that's when his blood was boiling and he was ready to strike back at the world. And you know, Columbine was and in his mind, was a terrorist act. It was a way to attack the entire world, to terrorize all of us, to scare the hell out of all of us, and on television, it was a made for TV event. He talks about his audience, he actually uses the word my audience in his journal of how we were all nationally going to respond, nationally and internationally going to respond to this thing. So it was his way of getting back us.
Speaker 5: Okay, now, in preparation for this massacre here that they just tell us just a little bit about the plans, the complete plans of what they had originally intended to do. Then lead us into what they actually did. That they again take us back to that whole event, take us to that event.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Well, they they structured it in three phases, just three acts, like a movie. And they were big into movie making, and so they may have planned it that way, but there were definitely three phases to the attack. The first phase, the most important one, was the big bombs, And they had two big propane based bombs that they were taking into that they carried in the cafeteria, hidden in duffel bags. And these were made of those just standard propane tanks that you know anybody has in their backyard, the standard barbecue things that you know you can get at the local grocery store and then you refill them there. So they were that side sort of like about high high or knee high, and so that wasn't sort of the core of it. Then they rigged each one up with a can of gasoline, all sorts of different things they used for shrap mails to drive up injure more people, and then wired up with those old fashioned alarm clocks with the bells on top as the timers and detonating devices. And they really thought these were going to work. So they had one each in a big duffel bag, and the plan was to carry them into the cafeteria right at the start of a lunch period when there was six hundred people pile into the into the cafeteria for eight lunches the most popular lunch and there is mass confusion. I've been in there many, many times, and this is like a beehive, you know, or ant calling, you know, people swirling everywhere. And Eric actually knew that this was the prime moment because he had spent time. This is how cold bloody that he was. He had spent time where he sat down in the cafeteria in the period before the start of a lunch and invictory how many people were in the cafeteria before the bell rang, and then after every two minutes or so he logged, you know, it was just just fifty people in here. Now there's a hundred, one hundred and fifty, two hundred, three hundred, five hundred up to six hundred. And he had, you know, almost minute by minute when it peaked and then and then it dropped because so many people comments and open campus. So a lot of the kids, especially the juniors and seniors who have cars of the driver's license, leave campus and go to you know, when these are McDonald's or somewhere whatever for lunch and come back. But they use the cafeteria typically as a rendezvous point. So Webb piles into the cafeteria, they meet up with their friends, then they go out to their cars and get out of there. So it swallows up to about six hundred for a minute or two and then drops very quickly as a lot of the people leave. So Eric had logged all this and knew that at eleven seventeen was the maximum human density of any of the number of people anywhere in at school, anytime during the day. So that's when the bombs were set to go off. So uh they were going to carry those in with the detonators to go up just a few minutes afterwards. There was just a short time there, so nobody would discover the bombs in the interim, hopefully, and they had practices where they would they would set the the bombs down near two pillars, would hope, which hopefully would also bring the ceiling down upon them.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 6: So they set the bombs down, then quickly exited the cafeteria and went out across the parking lot out in a v formation toward where they had parked their cars and specifically designated places they had practiced and from each of their cars, and they would get go to their individual cars and pull out another backpack with all sorts of ammunition for their for their guns, and also about one hundred different pipe bombs, and they would gear up, they'd practice so they could do it more quickly. So they got on their bandoliers about their body, their their military web gear they strapped on, so all these explosive us strapped their body. They had, you know, things so specific like they had flint mass strikers down their forearms so they could strike the the molotov cocktails or the pipe bombs more quickly and set them off more quickly. And then each of them loaded up with a gun. They each had one set off shot gun and then a different gun. Eric had a carbine rifle, and Eric had and Dylan had a Tech nine which is sort of like a glock or a poor man's oozier block a nine millimeter very powerful sort of well submachine sub submachine gun automatic, semi automatic. So they each had two powerful weapons and all these pipe bombs, and then they were supposed to wait just a minute or two for the bombs to go off. And then when the bombs went off, that was Act one, and then the school would blow up and be burning down and whoever survived it and within the cafeteria, but then people from the rest of the school would presumably flee the school, and from their vantage points, they had two of the three major excents of the school covered, and Eric was right near one of them and Dylan was near the other. Eric was right get on with the most important one, the main student entrance, right near the cafeteria where most people would presumably come out, and that entrance they could both hit it. They could triangulate their fire on that, and then Dylan could get one of the other exits, and then they just had to give up on the one that was the well on the opposite side of the school they couldn't cover, So that's when they would mow down people fleeing the building. And that's when they wrote that phase two is that when they got to have fun, and they wrote that several different places have fun, So that's when they would you kill people. And they didn't never write down whether they plan to advance on the school or just keep their positions. That isn't completely clear what they plan to do, and I'm not sure they were sure what they would do with I think they were perhaps planning to just play it by ear and enjoy it and see what happens there.
Speaker 2: Then Hello, it is Ryan and we could all use an extra bright spot in our day, couldn't we just to make up for things like sitting in traffic, doing the dishes, counting or steps, you know, all the mundane stuff. That is why I'm such a big fan of Chumba Casino. Chumpbuck Casino has all your favorite social casino style games you can play for free anytime anywhere with daily bonuses. That's your brighten your day, lowe actually a lot, so sign up now at Chumbuck Casino dot com. That's Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 7: You'll be necessary d wherever be lost in terms conditions eighteen plus. With the Lucky Lands, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 8: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's fine, but we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes that had up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 7: Play for free at Lucky landslides dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void We're prohibited by law eighteen plus terms and conditions apply. See website for details.
Speaker 6: During that shootout, obviously they knew that the cops would descend on them and there would be an army of cops, and they expect to be killed by cops during the shootout in sort of a blaze of glory. And they talked many times in the journals and in the videotapes they made explain themselves that they expected that to happen. They weren't sure how it would happen. Eric was talking about shooting some kid in the head and one of the videotapes and then he said, Oh, that's probably what will happened to me. A cop will probably shoot me in the head. So you know, that's how I imagine it going down, and not knowing how long they would laugh, but that you know, the cops would come and there would be some gloriou shootout and that would be the end of them. Dylan really wanted to die in the act, and he was much more suicidal, and I think the suicide was the primary, the driving motive for him. And then you know, an angry way of killing a bunch of people on the way out was sort of gravy for him, Dylan was Eric was very much different than that. He had no desire to die. He just accepted it as an inevitable result, and he paid it himself as a martyr. He said, you know, I will, I'll give up my life for my cause of showing you people how pathetic and you know, disgust that you all are. So that was the second act, is doing lots of killing the with the weapons. Then the third phase they presumably thought it was gonna happen after they died, and that was another series of bombs, and they each had their cars filled with more propane based bombs and then huge jugs of gas lane. So that around noon, which is a little more than forty minutes into the attack, there were timers set to go off to blow the cars up, and the cars were sort of doing double duty as the starting point for each of the two would be the attack, but they would also be dispersed to the parking lot and very close to the entrances, so where presumably the first responders would set up would be performing their work. And in fact, there was a triout of station right nearby, and there was all sorts of activity of people being loaded up in the ambulances and if those things had blown up at noon, they would have killed many more survivors and the people treating them, and presumably by that time would have been captured, possibly on television live too. And that's a standard I Ray tactic that the Irish Republican Army used on the British Army for decades, that there would be a secondary attack, so that when the British soldiers came to you know, administer to the wounded and to deal with the situation, then then they would be blown blown up in a second attack. So you know, Eric did his homework and knew how that worked, and that was to be the glorious uh end of the whole thing. And okay, the school's destroyed and burning down. But oh and I did. Oh, so do you want me to jump in and tell you what did happen?
Speaker 2: Or yeah?
Speaker 5: Sorry, yeah, no, tell us tell us what did actually happen? He said, he did his homework. Well, then yes, you know, why didn't that happen? But tell us what actually did happen? And uh, and there and their first encounter with the first person that they encountered, uh in the school. Uh, it's a it's a famous right right, encountered immediately, so tell us about that as well.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So they pulled in the parking lot and pulled their respective spot, and Brooks Brown, who had been friends with Dylan since second grade and I believe second grade and and then on off friends and enemies with Derek, but they had reconciled and we're friends again. He saw Eric getting out of the car. Brooks saw Eric getting out of his car just as just aftor Eric arrived to bring the bombs into the school. And Eric and Dylan had had cut class that morning to prepare. They had a whole schedule for the morning of how to get the propane bombs filled in the gasoline and so forth. And we know too that they did this because they were there at the seven eleven in the places where they want. There was the surveillance video footage of them. And I'm sorry it was in the seven eleven, but it was something like that, like a stop and go. So Eric getting out of the car and brook sees him and and things like why did he cut class? We had a test today? And storms up to sort of you know, lay to Eric like what are you doing? You missed a test? You idiot, and Eric just says, get out of here. I like you now, get out of here, Brooks and so Books just doesn't know what to make of that and wanders off. And Eric picks up his bag, which is the propane bomb, you know, it's seals of Books can't see that, and carries it into the school. So this at the bombs and they're running behind time and their plan that kind of get really really close. They set the bombs down, and with just a minute or two to go, they get out of there and get to their cars and and nothing happens. We don't have any record of exactly of them going out to their cars. Nobody noticed them, you know this you have of activity and nobody's paying attention to o their kids. But what we do know is they only hit about two minutes to gear up, to realize the bombs didn't go off, and then to make their way across the parking lot instead of going to the obvious place, which is where Eric was, because he gave himself the prime location by the main entrance, the main student entrance. Instead they went across the parking lot over to where Dylan was, which I believe probably makes sense that Eric was wondering whether Dylan was still going to go through the plot with a plan, and wanted to make sure when the bombs failed that Dylan was still on board with this. So I think he went over probably to go check on Dylan and make sure, you know, stick close with them to make sure this really happened. They didn't seem to have any plan B for if something went wrong, so they apparently just winged it from there. They went to the What they did that what we do know is that he went up to that second other entrance, which is on the second floor, because Columbine's built on a hill, so there's some of the entrances on the first floor and somewhere on the second and they went up the outside stairs up to that entrance, the west entrance, and at that point one of them, probably Eric, yelled, go go and they started shooting it. Literally anything that moved out there, anybody who had moved in. It was a beautiful day, kids, some kids were still leaving the school, the lunchroom. Someonere coming out there for you know, sort of little picnic, just to eat their eat their lunch in the grass, and the two boys just started firing on everyone mainly Eric did Dim only shot five times outside and I forget the execut number. Eric, I believe it was in the sixties or seventy shot and pretty soon he ran out of targets, but literally kids running across the soccer field fleeing. He shot out, and he shot in every direction. That went on for just a few minutes. And then the school resource officer, who's a cop employed by the county in the school. He was actually outside on the other side of the school in his car, having launched, just watching the smoking pits on the opposite side of the school, and he got a radio call from someone in the school saying that there was there was gunfire or something horrible going on. So he sped around the school and he showed up just about four or five minutes into the shooting, and he opened fire on Eric and exchanged gunfire, and he was outgunned by Eric. Dylan didn't shoot it and them Dylan did nothing, but Eric shot and they exchanged several rounds, and then Eric and Dylan retreated into the school. They were right by the door, so they retreated into the school, and this is into the second floor because they were at the top of the outside stairs by that door on the second floor, and you know, when you go into the building, it is very obvious when you go in those doors. The first major hallway you can turn to, which is a much bigger halloway they turned down. And then the first big group of people you come to is the library, where they're glass windows and you can see in all sorts of people congregated. And there there were fifty two people I think, I think fifty two kids in the library, so it was the largest gathering of people. They saw them, they went right in and that's where most of the killing took place. Well, actually they shot Dave Sanders, the teacher, in the hallway. Before they got to the library, they'd killed and I'm sorry, they had killed two people previously outside Dave in the hallway, and then they killed ten more and injured quite a few more people in the library. They just sort of went around indiscriminately, taunting people and shooting them, letting them go when they chose to let them go, and shooting some kids in the head without even looking, just pointing the gun under the room of the table and firing without even knowing who they were shooting at. That went on for just about seven minutes, and then they apparently got bored with it, where Eric probably did the psychond paths tend to do. And then they left the library and they didn't kill again. And in fact, they wanted the school for about half an hour and did not. There were hundreds of people in the school, and they saw all kinds of them behind doors. They had a glass pane in the door, and they wandered down to the cafeteria. Kids were running their tables, ran right past them, and Eric Dilton didn't shoot at anybody in the whole thirty minutes. The only human beings that Eric or Dylan would ever shoot at, well, Eric would shoot at, would be comps, just almost before their suicides. So they wanted the building. They went down to the cafeteria and they tried again to set off those bombs. That's what they really wanted to do. Eric fired his rifle at the bombs, Dilan through a miletop cocktail, which started a small fire, but didn't do anything. They gave up went back up to the library, perhaps to watch their cars explode, because they went up to the library just just a few minutes before the cars were supposed to erupt. For Act three, and the library was a perfect vantage point to watch that that didn't happen. They fired out the windows, or Eric fired out the window at cops, possibly in what the cops referred to as suicide by cop helping the cops will fire back. That didn't work, and so they retreated just a few steps back, found a spot and each shot themselves in the head. Eric put his gun into his mouth and blew his brains out. Dylan put his to the temple and they fired at approximately the same moment. Then that was the end of them.
Speaker 5: Now part of the story, too is a you chronicle the experiences of the survivor and the survivors at the time. Tell us about Dave Sanders. He was the teacher that you mentioned that had been shot. And when they called police, they said that that you know, paramedics were on their way. Would they be there in about ten minutes and it was over three hours? Did that create some problem with the police force later in a scandal? And tell us or tell us a little bit more about Dave Sanders and the brave Two of these guys were Eagle Scouts and Aaron Hainsey and another gentleman. Let me see Kevin starkly explained their role and what they tried to do for their teacher.
Speaker 6: Okay, well, Dave Sanders was a coach of a lot of event sports at that time. It was the girls basketball coach and a business teacher, and he was in the teacher's lounge, which is just outside the cafeteria and it's a long the same ex external wall, so the teacher's line is very close to the outside with windows to the outside where Eric and Dylan were beginning firing outside, so da've heard shots. So first it was his commotion. Nobody knew what was going on. Is there just paint ball guns or fireworks or something, But pretty quickly they figured out that something serious was going on outside, something very wrong. So he ran into the cafeteria to warn kids. And the first thing he did was rush out there and start yelling to get down, get down, and told the kids to get under the tables. And you can see there's actually surveillance footage of him doing this. So he's getting the kids down very quickly. He's thinking as he's doing this, and he realizes, no, that's a mistake. Actually, you know, I need to get him out of here, you know, they're gonna be sitting ducks. If they just hide into the tables, that's not going to save them. So he changes horses and he starts saying, nobody up, get out, get out, get out, And he and some other custodians start helping them, sort of rounding up the kids and scrambling them. And what they decided to do was there's a big staircase on the opposite a really wide staircase on the opposite end of the cafeteria, away from the windows, so the killers are outside, so that seems the safest place to get get hurt. Everybody across the room to the staircase. So you can see dave'st running across the cafeteria and motioning with his arms to follow. Most of the kids do. There's a big wave of kids that follow. He runs up the stairs, sort of leaves them up the stairs, and he stops at the top of the stairs and directs them all and stops there and plays sort of traffic cop, directing them out to the to the next exit down the hallway furthest away from where the shooting is taking place. So he stays in the building to do that. Meanwhile, you know, most people. Their reaction is to get the heck out of there, out of the building, but his reaction is to stay and look after kids. And when the whole massive kids then are up the staircase, everybody's out except for the few who have been a few afraid, and they're they're under the tables downstairs, so there's nobody else coming. Then he directs his attention to other kids upstairs and seeing you know who we can warn to get out of there, because, believe it or not, at least half the school didn't realize anything was going on, and they were further away and they were just in class, and you know, people were taking tests, they weren't doing whatever. And some and some, depending how close he were, some classes could hear some commotion. Some people went to the windows and the teachers told him to sit down. And so a lot of people didn't nothing was going on, so they had to be warned. So Dave starts running down the hallway warning kids to get out of it, get out of here, and run that way. He goes around the corner and as soon as he turns the corner that the same that's just moments after Eric and Dylan have stopped exchanging gunfire with the officer outside and enter the building and come down the hallway. So Dave turns a corner and starts walking down the hallway, the same hallway that Eric and Dylan are entering, on the opposite side, so they're facing each other, going towards each other, and Eric and Dylan are entering shooting. So Dave, as soon as he gets around the corner and and you know, hears and sees gunfire, realizes that's a mistake, and he turns the high tail and get back around that corner, almost makes it. They shoot at him. He goes down on the ground and then crawls around that corner, and a couple of their teachers who are also helping round up kids and get them out of there, come to his aid, put him over the shoulders and sort of him down to the nearest classroom they can get to, which just signs room three. And in that room there are a lot of people who have who've sort of taken refuge. I mean there's there's sort of two taxics and some people ran for it and some people trying to take cover. So there's dozens of people in that room. There are kids and teachers who have taken refuge in that room. And it's a larger and it's sort of a double room. It's got one of those expandable walls in between, and so that they've opened that wall and people from both rooms are sort of huddled together. They get Dave down and ask who knows first daid, and you know, nobody really knows what they're doing, and so they send a kid out to go see if they can find somebody who does. And so this kid's terrify this. You know, there's smoke and gunfire out in the hallway. This kid runs across the hall to another room, asking if anybody knows first date, and discovers there's two kids in there who say, yeah, we're Eagle Scouts, you know, we've been trained in all this kind of stuff. And so he said, come with me. So the two Eagles Stouts go back across the hallway signs from three where Dave is, and and they start working on him, and they tear up their own shirts. They take their shirts off and tear them up to use them as as a bandages and to h to sponse the bleeding, and uh, you know, that overwhelms them pretty quickly, and so they start getting the other boys that take their shirts off and tear them up. They go through quite a few different shirts, and they're pumping his chest and keeping him uh coherent, and you know, other people are calling nine one one and and you know, talking to one up note one operators who are saying, okay, we know you're there coming to get you. Just stay put, stay where you are. And so they do, and they think, Okay, somebody's coming to help us. But this goes on and on, and Dave is going in and out of consciousness or around the brink of consciousness, and the two ways. The Eagle Scouts continue to treat him, and they you know, figure out things to do, like they take his wallet out and they look for pictures. They find pictures of his wife and his daughters, and they ask him to tell him who they are and you know, describe them and to tell memories about them, just trying to you know, give him a reason to fight on. And you know, say, you know what your wife's name, and you know Linda is thinking about you, and you know she's gonna be so happy, and just hang in there, and that kind of thing that goes on and on. Meanwhile, people French. We talked near to the non Wollner operators who are not communicating very well and saying, you know, the SWAT team will be there. It will be just a few minutes. But there's all sorts of trouble with the SWAT teams on the outside of the building. The biggest problem is the sheriff, who's sort of in way over his head, is taking command of the situation, and and it's decided to not send a SWAT teams in to set up a defensive perimeter, which was the protocol at the time, that is how they were trained to do it. And he didn't realize really essentially that he needed to break protocol and do something different. This was something different than the protocol had foreseen. So they didn't send to these SWAT teams in for quite a long time. And then there was confusion of how the school was laid out because Columbine had been had been expanded and part of it Redone just a few years earlier. So the leader of the SWAT leader had been in Columbine and thought he knew it was all laid out, and he thought he knew exactly where the cafeteria and library were where so many reports had been of the worst carnage. But unfortunately, I believe four years earlier there had been addition to the school where they had built the new cafeteria and library on the opposite side of it building and converted the area which was originally the labrary in cafeteria. So the SWAT leader, I think he'd been in the school and knew where it was, didn't realize they had remodeled and was on the opposites und of the building. And so then they made their way to the building room by room, clearing each room one room at a time, very methodically a swat teams are trying to do and that that took three hours. And by the time they got to Dave, swat team got there and he was still alive. By the time they got a medic in there, he pronounced him dead.
Speaker 5: How many other people, sorry, how many other people died in the in the in the massacre, and how many were wounded? You know?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 6: Well, a total of fifteen people, including the killers, uh died there were they killed twelve other students, one teacher and them themselves. And the number of injured physically injured is ranges from twenty one to twenty three, depending how you want to count them. There were a couple of people that adminor injuries or debatable whether they should be counted, but a little more than twenty depending how you count the injured. And then of course the thing is psychologically damaged. There were hundreds of kids. There were kids on suicide watch for a couple of years, where then the post traumatic stress disorder went way beyond that. And there were four there were four people the injuries that were really serious, either brain or spinal cord injuries. At least two of those never walked again, I mean never, It could take a few steps, but our wheelchair bound for life.
Speaker 5: Right now, we just have a few minutes actually gone over time, but we've got this fascinating subject that we could go on for probably another hour for sure. Certainly, the the media didn't do much, didn't go very deep into the analysis of the reasons for the murders, for the massacre itself, tell us briefly what the the outcome was in terms of the media, what they're with, their idea was, what they thought of the story.
Speaker 6: Well, the problem with the media really was sort of they did too much too soon, too much analyzing and then didn't come back and sort of clean up the mask in the early days. I was astounded when I went back to research, and I realized in my research that the media, including me, got the story completely wrong in the early day. So I was sort of reconstructing and went back through the news service to see how how many days or weeks it took to develop these myths, and I was astounded that, you know, it really wasn't in days, it was in hours, and almost all the major myths were in place within the first two days, most of them by the first day. And I was really amazed. And I got the transcript of the first four hours of CNN coverage, and they were coming back and forth between for local stations, so it gave you a good cross section of what was being reported locally and nationally on the national feed, and over the first four hours you could see most of the major myths take hold. And it was truly extraordinary. Where there's this mistaken idea that there's there's a profile of school shooters and that most shooters are loaners, outcasts, rejects, and so forth, that turns out not to be true. The Secret Service did a really in depth study of every single shooting like this over more than a twenty five year period and determined, and the FBI did a separate study, and they both determined emphatically that there is no single profile or and most kids are not Most shooters are not loaners, they're not outcasts. Something like thirty percent of them are, so a sizeable minority, but most aren't. Two thirds are not. So this is just a this is a myth, but right account might happened. We already had this myth. So reporters went into it assuming they're probably outcasts and start asking kids and you can see them. You can see the progression over just the first couple hours as they start asking kids things like, so, were they loners? Were they outcasts? Because of course, you know, leading the classic, leading the witness, and kids start saying yeah, and kids who don't even know them, because this is a school of two thousand students, so most students don't know them, and especially they were seniors. So you know, picture of your high school, most freshmen, no, hardly any seniors, if any, the most sophomores don't even so you know the majority of the kids in the school have never even met these kids and don't even know who they are. So most people who we were asking as witnesses don't even you know, don't even know their names. So kids, and we're not we're not bothering to ask them, you know, and to you that is like, you know, we're the kids loners. So this kid, who probably never met them and doesn't know, you know, also has heard this myth of these outcasts and says yes. And then within like the first hour or two, the questions start changing from were they loaners and outcasts? To we're hearing there were loaners and outcasts? Is that true? And now everybody, now you're really leading the witness So all the students, almost all of them, are saying yes, yes, and now and kids are hearing they're watching TV and they're all wired up by cell phones. Is the early days of cell phones that there were a very large number of people in that community who had them, and so we're just traveling like wild from the TV through cell phones. So everybody's getting worded. It's like, oh, yeah, we're wearing their owners and outcasts. So now two three hours into it, kids have already heard the via TV that they're outcasts, and then when they're asked by a reporter they say, oh, yeah, they were, they were outcasts. And so it's just this this this loop where we're running around where you know, we're telling the kids via TV, then the kids are telling us back and corroborating it, and so we're also sort of sure of it. So by nightfall, you know, as far as the media's and the kids in the school now are are are concerned. They were outcasts. They were part of the same thing as going out with the Trench Cote mafia. And then this idea takes hold that they were targeting the jocks because one girl comes out and and they made some comment about jocks in the in the cafeteria or in the library. Probably all jocks stand up, but they were they were dissing every conceivable group, one of which was jocks, and some kid got it into their head, Oh, they were targeting jocks, so started spreading that word. So that went like wildfire. So by nightfall, we in the press had assumed we were understanding these killers, why they were doing it, what was going on, and we just went with that, and there was this great need to understand why. So by the end of the week. One of the papers USA Today was the leader in this had determined that there had been this big feud going on the previous year between this group called the trench Cope Mafia and with some of the jobs, which was true. What wasn't true. They failed to understand is that Eric and Dylan were really never part of the Trench Cope Mafia, and that the whole thing had said a lot and didn't really exist anymore. So this whole feud with the jocks was something that had happened but had nothing what's whatever to do with Eric and Dylan or with the murders. But we just sort of pieced these little bits together and sort of jumped to conclusions and assumed, ah, huge with the jocks and the trench Coat Mafia and these kids we'd already mistakenly put them in the trench Cup mafia. So that was the reason. So by Friday of the week, you know, it was given as a fact that these kids were outcasts who had a feud with the trench Coat Mafia, who were doing the whole thing as revenge for this feud. None of that had anything to do with what had happened, But we'd sort of gone from speculating to ironclad conclusions about what had caused this in a matter of two to three days. And once we had these ideas, we were just sticking with them, and there was no real evidence backing up any of this. And the cops, meanwhile, and the FBI, this huge team had been brought in, didn't have access to the killers records, had nearly a thousand pages of writings they had left behind, they had their journals, had videotapes they had created explain themselves. And we're watching these things and realized that none of this stuff being reported had anything to do with reality. And you know, the FBI agent Dwayne Fuselli became a major source for the book. You know, I was telling me years later that each night they would go home after you know, the investigative team working at it during the day, and we're starting the motives and what was going on, what the killers were all about, was starting to shake take place. They would go home and turn on the television or pick up a newspaper and it was like the media describing a completely different massacre. And we could just without intending to, we just we'd taken these little scraps of information and pieced together this whole sort of plot and this idea of what was going on which was completely wrong, and we just ran with it, and we convinced ourselves collectively that was the answer and told the public, and the public believed it. It seemed plausible, and so there was this sort of rush to judgment about what had caused it, And in response to this desire to want to know, the public really wanted to know why. So we figured out some why and told it to them. It just didn't turn out to be, you know, the correct why, and calumin was a huge story for several weeks, and then, you know, as these national stories happened, then you know, just with a thud, then they're gone and the media goes on too something else, and really never went back and investigated and figured out and reported that, oh we got that whole thing completely wrong. And there were reports, I mean there were most of the major papers did run a story six months or a year later of the myths of saying, oh, we got all these things wrong, But by then the public really wasn't paying attention, and we didn't really ever go back and shake the public and say, wait a minute, the whole story that you'd heard that we reported. We got a completely wrong. You know, it wasn't like leading to today's show or you know, anything like that. So the public really never got wind of it. That reporters on the story knew, oh, we completely screw that up, but the public never really got wind of that.
Speaker 5: So it took you ten years of research and writing to create this definitive book about the Columbine High School massacre. What do you think you learned that you wouldn't have learned if you wouldn't have spent that, specifically that ten years of research on this book. What did you learn in that ten years that you just couldn't have learned in two years.
Speaker 6: Well, a lot of things. I mean, the most important evidence in the case, which is the killers excuse me, the killers journals, and actually that whole one thousand pages, nearly a thousand pages of their writing that wasn't released until seven and a half years afterwards, there was a cork battle. The Denver Post, to their credit, followed the Freedom of Information Act and took it all the way to the Colorado Supreme Court and won an unanimous decision forcing those to be Really, but that was over seven years later. So in the early versions of the book, which I had done in the first couple of years, we were still years away from even getting that at material released. And those journals are just shocking in what they just closed. So the police had access to the investigators had access to that, but we in the media didn't for many years. So that drastically changed the nature of the book of Understanding until that point. I got. By that point, I'd gotten access to the investigators and talked could talk to them about it, and you know, they could explain the killers, but I didn't have the first hand. You know, I hadn't been able to read it all myself. I'd been leaked most of earics journal by then, but I hadn't read Dyllains at all, and I hadn't had a chance to sit down and study them. So I really really understood the killers much late, much better later in the process. And the other thing is that this book is sort of the chronicle of the killers but also the survivors. It's two stories where I go back and between them in time, and the survivor's story stories really hadn't happened yet. They hadn't they hadn't been completed until you know, they go on and definitely, of course the stories go on and on, but really they settled down. Oddly enough, I've found for a lot of people after five to eight years, a lot of the people sort of the victims got to sort of a to a stable place. A lot of the people like like Welschner, somebody who I wrote about in the Afterward that I did a year later for the paperback edition. She said, the five year anniversary, all these news organizations were coming back for anniversary stories were you know again it was national news for a day or two, and they were all trying to write the happy story, like you know, about how survivors got over it and it was okay now. And she said, you know, that made a very uncomfortab She was sort of avoiding them because she was still a complete mess. Five years afterwards, she had her life was completely off track. She had been shot several times, it almost died through it and psychologically completely messed her up. And it was about seven to eight years afterwards where she got her life together. She went back to grad school, decided she wanted to be a social worker. She went back to school, figured that out, and now well, now twelve years old, she's very happy, she's loving her job, feeling very fulfilled, she's engaged. Now, life is great. But her story really wasn't complete till about seven eight years out, and there were quite a few people in that in that boat. So it really turned out ten years was a good was a good time because you know, it took me years to write all this and to and also to edit and to shape it into a compelling story the way I wanted. So I really needed seven or eight years of the survivors to live their survival to you know, to have that story. I think, you know, twenty years out there would be a little more to their stories. But I don't. I don't think the second ten years will change significantly. The first seven to eight years their stories changed drastically.
Speaker 5: Now, you know. Thankfully, the book received renewed interest when it was released. And I also wanted to ask you this. This I'm very curious about, was the the what was coined the basement tapes, the home recorded videos. These have been withheld from the public by the police. Why is that and what is their content? And did you get to see them or know of their contents?
Speaker 6: You know, the basebook tapes are the tapes that referred to earlier, the videotapes of the killers made explaining themselves, and there are other tapes that have been released of their target practice at Rampart range, various videotape the killers made for school and just sort of documenting their lives, driving through the Wendy's drive through for breakfast and so we have lots of glimpses of the killers. But the specific tapes is called the basement tapes because they were largely made in Eric's basement because he had a room in his bedroom in the basement and a little area outside of it where they set up these in a talk show format to discuss the killings that they were planning, and they did this over several sessions a little more than a month before the attack. Those tapes have never been released. There was one well. They showed them Time magazine first exclusively in Time of this big cover story several months after Columbine in December, and then the Rocky Mountain News demanded to see them. They showed them to Rocky and then then they had to show them the rest of the press, so they had one showing of them for everyone else locally in the press one afternoon. I was not included because the oh, the guy in charge of the press was furious with me because I had leased the first passages from Eric's journal a few months before and and di all some of the things that he was very mad at me about. So I was excluded. They said they were going to have other showings, and they kept saying that, then they never did, and then then they decided that the well, for various reasons, that they were going to withhold the tapes from the public. And they had all sorts of different reasons, but the biggest one was that they were afraid that the reason was some legitimacy, that they were afraid that the tapes might inspire other copycats, might make the killers look heroic in the eyes of some teenagers with a problem, so they wanted to withhold them. So the contents are known because that group of six or eight reporters saw them and wrote about them. And then also a police evidence person wrote up it's about I think it's eight pages, single space, a report really detailing you know, each tape and whatside with huge numbers of direct quotes. I mean that and that matches with what the local press saw it saw, so we have a good record of what's on them, so we know what they contain, but as far as everyone being able to see them know, that's been withheld. The Denver Post also was demanding release of them in that same lawsuit with the with the killer's writings. And I simplify that story a little bit when I told you earlier. With the Supreme Court actually decided is that all this information that was demanded by the Denver Post was a public record, and Colorado laws says that any public records have to be freely disseminated to the media or to the public, except in cases I forget the exact wording, but it's something like when local authorities feel that it's in the public interest or that there may be a danger to the public. And so the Supreme Court, the Colorado Supreme Court had decided that yes, in fact, these were public records and sent it back to the sheriff, who could then still say, on the technicality, well, that it's in the public interest or it's a danger to the public. And it was assumed and widely reported that if the sheriff did rule that way, it would go back to the Supreme Court would likely decide, no, it isn't in the public interest, have to release it. But that's how the courts tend to go. They answered the question before them, and so at that point the sheriff decided, Okay, I'm willing to release all the written records to kill there's journals in the other thousand pages, but I'm still holding back the videos on this technicality that it's in the public interest. So at that point the Denver Post decided not to appeal it and to drop it, and so all the documents, the final documents, were released, but not the videotapes. And the way it stands, there have been a couple more sheriffs since then that sheriff was voted out. Well, actually, we're already on a later sheriff by the time this one to the Supreme Court. But we're a couple of sheriffs later, and they've still continued to say, you know, they don't want these released, But any future sheriff of Jefferson County at any time can release them. So presumably someone will be elected at some point who will say they should be released. Most of the public, almost all the families involved, the victims want them released, and it's really odd to me that they still haven't. But we're still waiting. You know, there's no surprises on there because we already know what's on. But I think it will be useful, especially for scholars, for you know, people who study these kinds of killers psychiatry, to see them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've got only a couple of minutes left, and I wanted to ask you one question that I think a few people might might ask. In light of Michael Moore's documentary Bowling for Columbine. Could you tell us what you thought of Michael Moore's depiction of the issues raised in your book and also just with the case itself, and just briefly tell us what you thought of Mike Moore's take on the Columbine and his documentary Bowling for Columbine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I don't think it was a really serious take. I mean, I see what he does is more entertainment. There were some interesting things in the movie, but it wasn't really about Columbine very much, and it was more about guns and gun control, and I thought there was some interesting things in there. His idea there were some really sort of ridiculous ideas in there too, like that. There was a Martin Marietta plant, well they merged with a couple different countries. There was a big defense contractor plant nearby because it was lockey than Lucky Martin nearby building. Uh, I can't even mother it was bombs or guidance systems or military stuff, and that, you know, that impacted the local people. That's just the silliest I ever heard, you know, And I don't know, I just don't really consider it that relevant. There were a couple of really good films, fictional films about column. There's one called God It's Either Zero Hour or Zero Day, which is sort of a fictional depiction of killers like that, which was really really on the mark. I thought really did a really good job. And then there was one much later, just around the time my book came out called April Showers, which is from the point of view of survivors, and I thought told that story really well, including survivors, including the killer's friends, and how difficult it was for them where they were seen as pariahs and sort of the community kind of turned on them. And it was actually made. The film was made by one of the survivors of Columbine who is now a filmmaker and did a really good job. But I thought that if your sort of like the killer's point of view or the survivor's point of view, there's one really good film for each of those.
Speaker 4: Great.
Speaker 5: Well, I want to thank you Dave for coming on and very informative and fascinating subject and book that you have Columbine about the Columbine High School massacre, and you go into incredible detail. We didn't get into half of what really talks about, but a lot of the survivor's stories are very fascinating and some of the journal entries are just amazing, and it really is a real example of psychopathology with the sort of dissent and that year of reading what these guys were planning, and especially Eric Harris. So I want to thank you very much for coming on the program and for a great interview. Thank you very much.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me Dan, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you very much, and you have a good evening, you do, okay, Foye night, Dave by bye even listened to the program True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that are written about them. Her host Dans Opaski, good evening,