Speaker 1: Sooner's get some commitments, and there's still questions around the recruiting trail. All that and more here on the Sooner or Later Sports Show. That's your Boy, Coop, I am Jay. Thanks for pulling up here on the YouTube channel and listening wherever podcasts are downloaded and listen to while you're here. Please wipe your feet like subscribe, rate review give us five stars. You don't think you deserve it. God ain't give us five anyway, and uh gifted so own today's episode of The Sooner or Later Sports Show. Me and Coo got a few things to talk about, like the d kon Schmidt commit. He's gotta give you his take because he's actually talked to the kid. We're gonna talk about some of the struggles in the recruiting trail and the fact that Jim Naggy is tired of y'all crack. We'll wrap things up with all of your fan thoughts and we'll dive into what does it look like going into the season because John Mateer has again his silence, Coop, Happy Sunday, my boy, how are you feeling? Jay?
Speaker 2: We finally got to that spot where going outside as a business decision like, do I want to go outside? And you know, I I mowed three yards my last weekend and I finally could go outside without feeling like I was on fire, you know, yesterday, and so I decided, Hey, why don't moa yet another yard today? Dinna? So yeah, it's it's hot and uh but Jay next next week is July. July is the last month without Sooner football.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that we have. It's gonna be amazing and depressing all the same time. Guys.
Speaker 2: The talk season is gonna, you know, really really ramp up. But you know, I'd rather be doing this than a lot of other things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and talk season again. You know, you're right, it's gonna be one of those that we'll get out of it. It'll be one results season, and I love results season because then we can start pulling receipts and y'all can stop flap your gums and being mad all the time. And I understand a lot of you are skeptical, so we totally get it. Make sure you hit the like subscribe, benonification and all of that jazz. Yeah, it's it's a lot of I get some of the takets in here around. I don't want too many, too much hype to be done out there. But the unfortunate thing is is that we can't control what the outside world is saying. And point told. Also, the outside world is not really as stupid as we try to make it, you know what I mean. They're not They're not naive or that blind that they're going to not to recognize the changes at Oklahoma made that was for the good. My favorite guy we talked about feel still his Bible just dropped. Actually took it out of my office because I was sitting on the couch reading it. I'm gonna be reading two SEC schools a day and I'm gonna start going into the Big twelve and then going into the Big ten, et cetera, because I want to be prepared for the season. But he has talked about how Oklahoma he feels like, is this once again his top improved school going team going into next season after conversations with the staff and reading the moves blah blah blah. But but Coop, I want to lead off with this because I know, uh, you have things to say. Give the people your feeling in thoughts on your guy Deacon Schmidt committing because you get an interview with him months ago, and I know that he has been clamoring to get back on with you and talk to us. How do you feel about that?
Speaker 2: I mean it's great. Yeah, Deacon, you know he's from Windsory, Colorado. Dude, is uh we Really grabbing my eye about Deacon was the fact that he could you know, anytime that you saw his socials, it was not him claiming to be the best offensive lineman out there and he's coming to prove it or anything like, not that anybody else has done that, but but that's a shot at a certain five star right now. But I digress. But he's just putting work in, just in the gym summertime, wintertime, springtime, fall time, this time, that time, anytime he was putting work in, and he's out there just absolutely you know, just excited to get to work right from the get go. And I mean it's been pretty funny because back and forth he's like, hey man, let's let's let's jump on the pod, and I'm like, what time do you got And then it's like quiet for a few minutes, and then I get busy, He gets busy, and then it's like, you know, eighteen hours later, He's like, dude, I'm so sorry. I'm like, no bad, My bad too. I'm like, what about four o'clock, let me check and so so he's ready to have some conversations with us. There is a very very small chance he might hit me up right in the middle of the show and I will have to link him. But but you know, it'll happen here soon. The dude is super, super versatile. I know that in our discord, we were having conversation around you know, where can where can he play? Could he be a swing tackle? Could he be a swing guard? You know, Bill beadenbou loves him some versatility, and after, you know, seeing the year like we had last year, I'd like to have a dude who could be, you know, a high round draft capable in one position but draftable in another one. And that's that's something that Uh, this offensive line, I mean as much as we all you know, hate it and call it sunshine pumping if you want, but you're not stacking another two five star oh tackles this year. It just isn't going to happen. You're gonna need a dude who can come in and knows what's in front of him and says, all right, coach be and Bo, you point me where to go, and I want to grind. And Jay you pointed out the twenty twenty eight potential offensive line and what that might look like. And it looks pretty dirty. It looks pretty dirty. And so really really excited to get Deacon on board, because I mean, he, like I said, he's extremely versatile, he's a worker. He wants to come and be at coach hard and I think that you know, it was down between Colorado, which obviously in state school, Alabama which still is Alabama, and then Oklahoma, and yeah, Bill bean Bow comes walking up with his whelbarrow up front. Once again.
Speaker 1: That's the fascinating piece of it is that Oklahoma was able to really like seal that deal that way. Oh, Bill beating Bow walks in there, you know, strutting like he's Vince McMahon walks in unlets the kid know, Hey, I understand you've got every single big program out there knocking on your door begging for your attention. But let's go ahead and uh come to Oklahoma. We'll get you taken care of. We're gonna turn you into a We're gonna turn you into an NFL caliber player, and we know Bill beating Bow can live up to that. He's done it. We've seen him send players to lead that. I've seen a lot of you fans be like that, dude's not any good, and you're like, I mean, are we sure he's not any good? Or are we saying that? Because we just are saying that, right. We've seen Bill beaton Bow turn a lot of players that we had questions about into guys that end up on rosters. And so I think the one thing to say that and I did love that quote he said, Schmid said that Bo Bentley needs his bodyguard and this is what his plan is. So I think that's where you're now seeing that Bo Bentley effect as well. Bo is out there recruiting the guys he wanted with him. You saw the same thing with Jade O'Neill when he was when he was committed, he focused on getting the guys that he wanted to join him on the roster too. So we're in a good overall situation. I think we just need to pump the breaks on the attitude that we're given. Because Coop, I don't know if you realized this, I mean I figured you did realize this, but a lot of people in the comments section didn't realize this. But you know, fans did the same complaining June of last year about our recruiting class, right, and then in August we landed Michael FASSUSSI am I crazy when I say that, I think and fans should probably pump the breaks and calm down.
Speaker 2: And I will say this jan Since twenty seventeen, I've got a list of them right here, just so everybody knows.
Speaker 1: He got his notes out.
Speaker 2: He pulled the notes, conversation notes. This is a fundraiser for my daughter's girl Scouts, but I got since twenty fIF seventeen, we have forty one four stars and all but three of the five stars that have technically became busts, but we have and these are guys who the Star system is again written by guys who are not coaches. I mean, I love Josh mcquesten. I love him to death. You know, Parker Thune is one of our boys. But these guys, and the guys in their positions, they're given the best estimate based off of the things that the coaches talked to them about. But there's a difference between being Bill beating Bow and being Parker Thune. And if Parker was on, you know, right between us on the screen, he'd say one hundred percent in coach powers, coach you know, Reggie, Reggie two here, you know, back me up on this one. But I think that when we get crazy and you see, you know, this guy is a highly rated, this guy's a five star, this guy's a high four star, and we don't get them, but then we get a three star guy that Okay, I'll just say that if Bill Beidenbow and Jim Naggy look at a guy and say I want them regardless, I don't care how many stars are next to the dude's name. I just really don't. Nagg you put dudes in the NFL. Bill beaden Bow still, offensive linemen for Oklahoma are making more salary annually than all Texas players.
Speaker 1: It's it's just what we do. Now. This is a very funny thing too. As you say that, so I got bored, And I'm only pointing this out for one reason. And I will like y'all to understand that this is not a quote unquote shot at anybody in this world or fans or anything. But I want you to remember something. I went back and I looked, and I would like y'all to do it too. You searst the channel you're on Adam for Sports. If you're on the main channel, on the other channel on for Sports Show with Jay, come to the other channel on Fair Sports, and I want you to search in the videos and I want you to search for the Ryan Foget commitment video. And you know what I'm gonna do, Coop, I'm in a good Moodna, You're gonna pull it up real Coick quick, I'm gonna pull it up. I'ma let me see. I'm gonna pull up the commitment video and I want you to go in there, and I want you to read the comments because when I dropped that video at that time, Foge was not ranked by two different recruiting sites, and he was a three star on on three as well as two four seven. He was not considered, you know, top player. He was not considered someone that Yeah, he wasn't that big of a video. He was the first commitment for Oklahoma. I found it. I'm gonna post it this video in here for you. I want you to go just look at the comments of this video. Go look at the comments section. It's bad, it's it's.
Speaker 2: It's it's crazy because I'm I'm you know, I'm not going to take shots of dudes who are who were five stars and something happened, you know, like a Trajan Bridges got himself up into some you know, bad stuff, and we don't know what his path would have been. We don't know what Ret Bomar's path would have been. But I'm just gonna read some three star guys. This is from only seventeen JS, so, I mean about seven years right, and uh so I've got Ramondre Stevenson was a three star guy. Everybody's joke on Twitter message boards was say Bradford was a three star. Hollywood Brown a three star, Jeremiah Hall a three star, Kenneth Murray a three star, Trey Norwood, Jordan Kelly, Brian Osamoah, dt Y Turner, Yell, Braydon Willis. So, I mean, there are so many of these three star guys who everybody you know sees and is like, well man, that's that's nobody.
Speaker 1: Ex.
Speaker 2: Rob was a was a was a three star. I mean, you gotta you gotta just find it that the stars are based off of a lot of different things. But once you get here, you gotta have the right attitude. We've seen guys who get here and they don't have the correct attitude and they feel like it's going to be just a transition up. Hey, I am the best player on my team. None of these other guys are going D one. But when I go up there, I'll be other guys, be with other guys that are just as good as me, and it'll just our team will just be better. That's not necessarily how that works. Yepowski was a three star.
Speaker 1: So it happens. And and I'm and I'm pointing this out, and I'm wanting to have this conversation mainly to to not, like I said, it's more so for you, how to understand that it's June, Like we haven't got the final the final rankings of any of these players, Like if they have senior seasons that are ridiculous, they're gonna fly up like so here. This was after see he committed the beginning of February because I was actually headed on a cruise and I dropped the video right before I set sail. This was February twenty six, was his first update. This is when you saw him go four star, number six one sixty one at on three and a lot of these rankings jumped up because of why Bill Beatonbow and Oklahoma was looking at him. Two four Sales still had him unranked three star. ESPN had zero about him. Same thing with Rivals, he was a four star, not rated. He moved up with all of them after his commitment. Okay, so you're wondering, Jay, what does that mean? For a second, I'm gonna give you the next update that this kid had. On July eighth. July eighth, Ryan Foger jumped up four star on everybody's board and then number eighty nine nationally two four seven forty six on on three, two hundred and seventh. The ESPN and Rivals didn't haven't rated yet. Yeah, yeah, okay, okay, I get it. Yeah, you're probably like, Jay, like, where are we going here?
Speaker 2: Where are we going?
Speaker 1: With that?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: Fojet finished as a top ten tackle in the class. Number eleven for on three two four seven had him rated as a committed me go to his high school stuff real quick, takes a minute. He was fourteenth on two four sevens composite eleven on on three he was one hundred ranked top one hundred and three number seventy six, while two four seven had him as number seventy point. Being give it some time, Give it a minute, folks, I promise you you're gonna say and see something different. Take give it some minute. And on that sooner Cowboy asked a very good question. I think Foger is probably gonna start off as a guard and then move to right tackle later. I think he actually may see run right behind for bet you weebu at right guard.
Speaker 2: And I think that you know, that's not something that's brand new. That was something that started getting kind of tossed around when we were still in on Ty Haywood and a lot of the other you know, high ranking guys for for that class was well, you can't take four or five star guards, I mean tackles and play them all right, like somebody is leaving. So I mean, if it's just you want to be a hoarder, that's That's one thing is like at offensive linemen, what are we gonna do with four five star tackles in one class? Like two of those dudes are leaving. Would you rather be upset that we are losing a five star and have to deal with the trolls or would you rather just get two guys who decided to show up and said, all right, that's your side, that's my side, let's go work. And and I like it. And you know, I think that some of the things that is happening right now with with everybody's frustration around this is you see, there's a lot of schools that are, you know, using different I guess strategies, trying to get stuff in before July. Listen. I mean, Naggi is is really good at his job. And I think that, like he's so good at his job. That's why he's been clapping back in the comments on on on socials right now because he knows who he is. It's only based off of several years of success. And it's crazy that I see dude on Twitter who is a truck driver, you know, saying like, man, what the hell's Naggie doing? And I'm like, I'm forgotten. Juey should have told Jim that truck or Jim decided that this was a bad offer, or we should have given him more money.
Speaker 1: And like I said, I'm not going after particular ones, but I do we did see that Naggie has gone after some sooner fans, which I think is hilarious. I like to see. I like the fact that we are seeing our GMB active in the fan base, especially in the socials, and he has to be because he's in the era of social media with these young players. He needs to get on there to be able to find them, see who they are, and find everything we're looking for. And I do like the fact that he's popping it up and chopping up with y'all. And for a lot of the sites depend on the site you're dealing with. That's really what it is. Five stars are projected first round picks because Powers is one hundred percent right. The key thing is how good can you play? Now, we're gonna talk about some of the whiffs that we've seen on the recruiting trail, and me and Coople kind of give heads and tails as to what that means. We'll do that in just a moment. But my thing with the Schmidt pick up is I don't want to cloud it by us being upset that he is right now the highest ranked lineman in the class, when you're probably gonna see a bunch of updates on these players here because a lot of them went to camps. So you're gonna se dude skyrocket like, for example, Hey, cool, did you see Bo Bentley in his rankings and how that has changed recently? Sure?
Speaker 2: Did, Jay, because you sent it to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, since it's all of y'all, I would appreciate it exactly. So Bo Bentley came in and I'm gonna hold a second, let me get the original. We should go, we should do the comparisons. The only place where Bo Bentley really didn't see that wasn't very highly rated was ESPN. Now tell people quite often that ESPN takes their time. They usually do two to three updates. They're the only recruiting industry site that doesn't do it like all the time. Like they're not doing it like four or five times a year. They usually do it like two or three times. Like they'll do it this summer. Yeah, yeah, that too, but they'll do it this, they'll do it now usually here in the summer, which I think they did it, did it last week, and then they'll make another adjustment closer to signing day, and that's when you start seeing the final locations of people. Well, let me share this for the people. This is where let me see. No, I don't like the way that looks. Let me see if this so, I mean, let me make it smaller. Give me a second. Up, there we go. That's exactly how I want it. So the look about right there? All right? That'll work? Uh yeah, give me a second and I'm moving slow. Oh, let's see if this looks good. This should work all right. This was Bo Bentley's rankings when he committed forty first on on three. He was seventy eighth on two four seven. He is panim at two sixty one, number six and one hundred and two on Rivals. Again. Bo did these camps recently. And when Bo did these camps, guess what that Rivals camp? I think it was the Rivals five star camp. In another camp, he did all of his numbers jumped and let me show you what those numbers look like now. And this is why I said, hey, guys, we should probably take our time just waited out on the way we feel about stuff. This is where Bo is today. ESPN updated him. He moved from two hundred and sixty one to one hundred and sixty eight. He jumped just about just under one hundred spots by doing camps just saying. And I think that also is a little bit of an Oklahoma bulb. I know a lot of you feel like Oklahoma recruits always see a drop and it's worse. No, we usually see most of the more times than not, we see a bigger jump than we see a drop.
Speaker 2: And I think that most of the times when the drops happen, there are guys who had such a high rating based off their sophomore season and projection, and then the junior season just didn't increase along with the expectations, and so in senior season hits around you got other guys who had not been seen, late growers, you know, et cetera. And so all in all, I mean, I know the recruiting rankings suck right now. They're not terrific. We're not done yet, but it's not high up there. But I just say that I went back and I did the math a while back. I think Texas since like two thousand, had out recruited US. I want to say it was all but like three or four times, maybe like every year except for three or four years. What's that head to head record look like? Since that it's how that matters. It's the coaching it's the it's the desire. Everything it is now. And I'm saying there are guys who are going to be hard workers that still go to Texas. There's going to be three stars and four stars that go to Texas and ball out and should have been re ranked. Gonna just be.
Speaker 1: You're frightening. Just got himself up. He says he got his veggie garden this year. Oh taste, you know, it's just too hot.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's we understand with all this rain, we haven't been able to do any tomatoes because it's just been like, you know, a monsoon, just day after day after day. But uh, now that's what I am eating. I was after I mowed, I grilled up some pork chops and some burgers on the on the Blackstone out back and I'm still sweating, so eating little veggies out of the garden. But all in all, JA, I just I just go with this. Is there you want to here, Let's let's have some truth. Some non Sunshine people are are lighting us up because of the injury history. Recency bias on the injury history happened one time out of how many decades of OU football and all of a sudden, it's a fact. But the recency bias around the injury history, the injuries around wide receivers, the pisspoort offense last year, all of that is happening, and it's working. It's working against us because you say that and then you offer right around the same amount of money as ou and all of a sudden, you know, it's do I want to You know, you never can know in the you know, if we have any attorneys in here, in the court of law, you don't have to prove innocence. You have to create a doubt of guilt. That's what it is. You get one or two people who say, I'm not sure. I can't. I can't say guilty. You win. That's it. And so you know with some of these kids, I mean, the money is out there, it's no longer something pretend. It's no longer something that you have to hide. And there's a lot of it. And so how do you fix it? We go out on the field this year and give them a proof concept.
Speaker 1: That's what you guy.
Speaker 2: I will say that I do not know what our record is going to be. We have done our predictions as of pre fall.
Speaker 1: YEP.
Speaker 2: I do know this Jade not our offensive line and John Metier will bump us at least two games, I think on a bare minimum. I mean bare minimum. And everybody said, man, if we had anything resembling an offense last year, it would have been eight and four. Right. Everybody said that, I can promise you it's going to happen. It is going to be a bump in the offense.
Speaker 1: It's all you need now to go with that. I think you have a pulling up at the light button. If you do to the channel, subscribe, rate review, give us five. The big thing, as Coop mentioned, is that we're dealing with a substantial amount of negative recruiting very much for Oklahoma. For the Sooners to be successful this season in recruiting, they will have to be successful on the field period. The negative recruiting iss Coop just mentioned, it's working, and that's okay. We don't know why it's okay because we go on the field and we showed the opposite product that we showed last year. That shuts all of that up. But you have to do it. EMMITTT. Jones built himself a reputation of really developing dudes that we were concerned about. Denn he dealt with all the injuries and had to quickly develop young players and help them figure it out early. Still got ask somebody to throw the ball to them consistently, and now you have a situation where it's a lot better. John Mattie had some things to say about that this week at the Manning Passing Academy. So John Mattiir was out. He is a one of the counselors at the Manning Passing Academy.
Speaker 2: Him.
Speaker 1: You saw Arch Manning. Of course, you saw Garrett Nussmeyer. I think I saw Sawn Levitt, Leonora Sellers out there throwing it. Had a few good, you know, group of quarterbacks out there teaching, and so you got to see some drills where you saw the quarterbacks throw the ball. You saw Matier, you saw Arch, you know, some deep passes and all of that, which was of course fun. And Matier had some things to say around Oklahoma and the guys around him, and this is George Stoyer shout to him. This is what he said. Matte glowed about his teammates and offensive coordinator been Arbuckle. Yesterday at the Manning Passing Academy. He told me the offense has grown a lot since he arrived, and that they have a bunch of dudes around him, including new additions Jermichael Carter and Jayden Ott. And of course Naggie quote took a screenshot of it, took quote it up and said, he said, dudes, and with the little smiley, smirky face, what does that mean, ladies and gentlemen thing? Jio myteers now sold on it. I think he sold on what the hell we're gonna be doing this year. And as he talked about it, Coop, I think the thing that got me the most excited is that he pointed out that not only has this team grown and gotten better over time of you know, going through the system, that now that he's in his third year, his classroom load is a lot less in comparison to was, you know, his first couple of year, first three years in college. Because you know this he he's at because he's a red shirt. He's at the point where he can take a lighter and now you can focus more on film and focus more on the playbook. That got your boy excited.
Speaker 2: Hundred truth, you broke my game face. I had no idea all your players would die though last year.
Speaker 1: I mean, right, none of us.
Speaker 2: Nobody did. Nobody did, oh me, they did. I mean, first of all, for those taking shots at like, hey, look at the ball ma tear through on air. Look at the ball art through on air. That's not the ground that you stand, you take your stand on. I mean, it's you're throwing the same deal. There's nobody drilling you in the face if you if you take an extra you know, half a second to pass the ball, situational, et cetera. Some dudes are gamers, some guys are you know, practice and practice wizards. And you know, we we brought it up two years ago that after year one in the defense, you had guys like Ethan Downs, Billy Billy Bowman, Danny Stutsman out there able to coach and recognize adjustments, put people in good spots. Because you think about it, you get a new system in and everybody you know where nobody has played in it. Yet Danny couldn't help the defensive lineman line up properly. Danny couldn't turn around and look at the safeties or the or the defensive backs and say, hey, you guys are lined up right. He was trying to figure out where the hell he was supposed to be and after seeing film and film and film, we saw it. We saw it, and you know, I know that we made a huge, huge deal about you know, Danny. I think it was Danny walked up and slapped Jade Jackson on the backside and moved him over right before like just an absolute blow up in the spring game last year. Well that's the that's the situation with Mantia coming in, is it's not just our buckle out there, you know, trying to get people to do the right things. The offensive schemes are are different, but it's not like they went from teaching lacrosse to water polo.
Speaker 1: Like.
Speaker 2: It's still football. There's still a lot of the same plays. It's just having the idea of what the switches are, what the audibles are. And when it's just an offensive coordinator trying to change all these things, that's tough. When you also have the captain of your offense knowing exactly what to do, that helps out tremendously. And they're just I mean, what are they just coach powers? How many practices have they had yet at this point? I mean, isn't like thirty practices really, like somewhere around there and then a lot of you know, unscripted, non coached practices. So when they come back in the fall, they're gonna everybody is going to have a much better idea on the offense what to do. Now, what really is going to lead this jay is what is this offensive line going to do? Because last year it was it was like playing yachtzi. You just dumped the dice out and you were like, all right, how do we put this craft together? And you know, what do we potentially have? And we saw some uh, you know, we saw some jumps at the end of the year with some of the guys who I mean, we're Logan Howland, Bless his heart. If I was him, I had to quit football. I'd become a monk. I had to move to Tibet because after that South Carolina and those old miss games. I mean, you know, nobody would have blamed him. Everybody would have been like, we understand, dude, we really do understand. Like good luck, say hi to say hi to the Shallon priests there for us. But I think that this offensive line now has a mixture of young talent, great potential, and then the experience and then the super athleticism of the new guys. Not only do you have Fasusi and foj coming in, you still have Awfu Lava who's coming off of knee surgery. You know, you got guys coming all over the place into this offensive line scheme wanting to get on the field. And I think that we're gonna see this offensive line. Is it gonna be a Joe Moore Award winning offensive line this year? I don't think so. But do they have that potential maybe the following year? I think they really did. No.
Speaker 1: I agree with you there, and I wonder. I guess that leads to the next question that's gonna come down the line here, Coop, is pull John Mattier come back for another season? He does the possibility he does. He has the ability, like based upon his experience and his classification, he can come back next year for one more year. I know that we would prefer him to be so good that he does not come back, but that does lead the opportunity, which means him, it'd be him, Michael Hawkins. You'll have with yet new with new Bauer, and then Bo Bentley comes in right behind him, and so you kind of got a little log jam of quarterbacks and the question is with Michael Hawkins be okay with only having one year of truly starting. I don't know, but I know what in our hearts and minds, we hope that it does not come down to that. But to answer Sean's question here, that was in the comments he asked about saying that we're pretty beat up. One wide receiver's been hurt and Jane Gibson. We were just waiting on Jane and Gibson to, you know, for him to get to that point. They're just not pushing them. And that injury happened August of last year, which it typically takes about twelve months. We usually go through ncixty five days, so we'll find out at fall camp. If he comes back at fall camp and he's good, then it's a different story. And in Giovanni had that little break which was not as bad as Kendall DOBIE's, and Dobe is back full contact, ready to go. They're just him gentry. They're waiting. It's less about them being hurt, more about them saying waiting waiting for them to put them on the field. No point in trying to, you know, put them in unnecessary contact when you can make sure that you don't be the cause of their injury. And so I don't think. I think we're in a way better. We're in a way better situation where last year, remember going into fall camp last year, he was waiting on Andreil. Then Jayden gets hurt. Then from there Nick was not right going into it. So you had three guys already right there that were kind of iffy, and the only person we'd had was Dion Burks, and then you had a bunch of the you know, younger players around them, and then everybody started falling apart as far as injuries go. So to me, we're in a way better situation. Like Giovanni and Jaydon have. The Gibson boys have been icing to me on the cake, that to me is Jamichael Carter, Keantes, Lewis, Zion Kearney, Dion Bergs, Isaiah Setana. That's to me, your foundation. And I've leaned in heavily on the Burkes being your foundation more than anything else with every hemositania with just plug in a wide receiver, like I say, Kearnie's one, because I think that he now has the experience and he's learned from him his mistakes and he's grown a dramatic amount. Route Tree should be way better. But Keantes Lewis, to me is one that can also come in and show up because he has years of experience and he's bigger. He's six y two something that I know a lot of you all have said you wanted.
Speaker 2: And we didn't get to see Dion Burks be Dion Burks last year. And I want everybody to remember the you know, Javonte Barnes hit versus Tennessee out on the sideline. By time Tennessee game was over, the entire sec knew we couldn't do anything offensively. We had two passes one against Maine, and then what was the what was the we had two deep passes last year? There was the there.
Speaker 1: Was jac you had three, Hester had three of them by hisself. You had the Auburn one, you had the main one, and then you had the LSU one.
Speaker 2: Yes, but the fact that we just could say three that that's the point that I'm trying to make is at that point, it was it was like, you know, you watch The Longest Yard, you watch any type of sports movieses where you know, guys are you know, taking bets and uh, it says you know, let up bottom after you get twenty one point lead, and then the guy comes behind the scenes says, no, I want you to go kill him. And that's what everybody was doing to this offense. And so Dion Burks, I mean, he was getting He was the only threats on that on that team for multiple games. And hell, if I was Dion Burks, I'd have been like, hey my I got a backiotomy. I got a schedule because I can't walk anymore. He think that's different.
Speaker 1: He really was. It is.
Speaker 2: In the Tennessee game, he got hit pretty hard. And I think that there was maybe the Old Miss game, maybe the South Gral I can't remember, somebody, I mean double hit him. We saw Tatum take some you know, really really nasty hits because nobody had any fear. You were playing in a phone booth. Literally the entire offense. That's how you're supposed to talk about the defensive offensive line, not the whole entire damn offense. And so I think that once you get a couple of different guys who you know, a Jamichael Carter, he doesn't have to come in and be a thousand yard receiver. He needs to come in and give you an option. And so because if you got a key on one receiver, if you got a key on one, you know, one offensive playmaker, nobody was scared of this offense last year. And I think that Dion Burks will show once again. You know, I think what he really has the true potential to be and I think it is I mean, I think it's literally a twelve hundred yard guy. He is a guy who can absolutely go off. And I said ten touchdowns at the beginning of the year last year, after three in the first half against whoever it was Temple, I looked at you and I said, I think I I think I misjudged. Well, I think he had none the rest of the year or maybe one. But you know, I think that that's a guy who is going to get I feel like in April next year, we're all gonna be saying, is he around two round three potential round one type of you know draft pick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what that's gonna be. The biggest question is what type of a draft pick is can't he be? When you when you look at that and for like like you said, we're on the wide receiver like Jamaica Carter and all of them, like a lot of them. You're gonna need them to be really good contributors. You're not gonna need them to do a bunch outside of really contribute. So I don't know. All I gotta say is I know everybody's in the chat fighting each other right now on it. And yeah, Friday, truth, I did see the upside down cap hap. Everybody's been into that. That's like the new craze nowadays. And I have no clue about what those hats mean or what. I don't know. It's it's a new thing. It's it's something that's very new that a lot of people are doing. I don't know. I really couldn't tell you what they truly mean. But yeah, I don't wear I don't. I'm not big on the that's not my thing. I'll just say that that's not something that I'm into because like I said, it's it's just something that seems to be, you know, popular. But yeah, everybody's got them, like literally true, everybody has. I've seen Dallas Maverick's one, I've seen Dallas Cowboys ones. Have you seen those coupe the upside down wording hats or whatnot? It's just some new trend that's been going around, and I don't know it's weird, but yeah, I think Materier had one while he was at the Passing Academy and it was kind of I don't know, it's it's extremely I don't it's whatever.
Speaker 2: I'm not particularly what the kids would like to call up to date with things. And yeah, I'm not different, but but you know, my my son starts saying weird words like riz and I you know, I'm like, half of me goes, this is what my parents felt when I said weird stuff. I get made fun of all the time. I still use nineties slang. Uh. You know, I'll be like, that's dope, that's dope, let's do it later. Uh and uh and so yeah, I don't understand that kind of stuff. But and you know, I'm a hat guy. I mean, I love that he's got he loved.
Speaker 1: I have to have a good collection that hats. But I'm not a big hat guy. But truth, this had to be pushed up here because this is awesome because Texas did it. So what people threw the horns down and they had to everybody had to follow with that. Bravo for that comed that's a that's a that's a Bravo comedy because that is that is good as to why everybody's gone upside down, which is hilarious. But anyway, Mateir also talked about his relationship, of course with Arbuckle and his relationship a lot of players. Like I said, he mentioned ot he talked about Giovanni, and with the way he talked about Giovanni, it kind of feels like that they think Giovanni's coming probably coming soon because I know that that was Matteir's like favorite target when he first got here. Uh, and he was big on Kiantes, but he's also big on Jamichael as well. So all the transfers I think, and I saw Sean said that in the comments, somebody I guess said that they feel like the wide receiver room was better off last year than this year. I think the difference between this year and that last year is gonna be definitely availability because I think a lot of the better players on the in the wide receiver room now are going to be available. And I think that there's one player that we probably are gonna be talking about, like crazy, Elijah times Et. He's gonna be that dude, Like I don't think a lot of people understand how good he really is. Like he is good, and I know him coming out of Chakota. We talked about this before, but him coming out there and a lot of people are at small school and blah blah blah blah. I don't I don't understand. I don't care how freakishly talented he is. He is that good if and he's gonna be good.
Speaker 2: If Ryan Broyles and Mark Clayton and you know a Keen Iglesias, if those guys had a few more elite traits, they would have been I mean, they would have been you know, borderline, you know, pro bowlers. Those guys didn't have elite speed, elite size or anything like that. But et I mean, if y'all saw him dunk people, you know, the moment, the moment he got now I you know, fifty to fifty, like he saw him hopping him, Like that's pretty neat. Sit your ass down, you know, you know, from the wide receiver. But I don't know if they sacrifice the live chicken or whatever.
Speaker 1: But he sacrificed the chicken. I don't think he's in the chat either. Is he's chicken in here? I think we sacrificed that chicken on the show recently.
Speaker 2: Not not that, yeah, but Elijah Thomas. Elijah Thomas, I think is a guy who is somewhere between your broils and Serling Shepherd. Like I think that that's really you know what he is. But he has more elite twitch great great football IQ And it doesn't matter if you're playing one A, two A, three A seven A nine A. It doesn't matter like four fours, four to four. The dude is just I mean, he's going to be good, but you know, he is not relied on, and that's that's the good thing. And another one that I think that a lot of people are going to kind of sleep on is Satania. I mean Satania played at Arkansas. He had some pretty good games. You know, Arkansas was very very very, uh you know, polarizing it came time to throw on the ball. They ran the ball a lot. They had a lot of quarterback run and they had a lot of short stuff. You know that that was their their deal is that when they ran the ball and they kept you off balanced, they were good, yep. And that was tough for them a lot of I mean, that's why it's Satania Leaves is because he wants a little bit more predictable predictability for his game. He wants to be able to, you know, have some more opportunities. And so that's what you need out of this group. Is you don't need, you know, a ceed Lamb essentially with a Hollywood Brown on the other side, or a D. D. Westbrook in the middle.
Speaker 1: You you don't love it, Yeah, that'd be great, love it. I'll take two.
Speaker 2: But I say is why was Indianapolis so hard for the thunder? Because so many different guys could do it. So many different guys could do it. Whereas you shut down the dude who just got a hundred million dollar contract and looked like a JV basketballer and then Edwards you know, against Minnesota and it was over and I want to see multiple guys. Now the tied end is still a huge question mark in there, and how do you supplement that? Is it the h back look from Cannick? It is it? You just get stuff on get stuff on film, I think. But I think that this wide receiver crew is really really going to be good. And I'll say this, if you think that, Sean, I think you said it. Our boy over here at LSU Nick six, he's not he's not making headlines. That's a deep wide receiver room. But if he was who we thought he was, he reminds me of a dude like a David Boston back in the day, going old school, old school NFL. Is was a guy who as a number two wide receiver, he was a damn menace, but he couldn't do it by himself.
Speaker 1: No, it's tough.
Speaker 2: And I think that that's where Nick Anderson really, you know, really, you know you queued in on him. You know, you you had to lose out to Stoops over the middle or you know, Gibson out on you know what did he have like twelve catches but six touchdowns or something like that. I mean like there were multiple different guys who could do multiple different things. And I think that that's what this wide receiver crew is gonna be this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're gonna you're gonna have multiple and and Kim mentioned it in here in the chat that there was our vocal had an interview and he talked about how the offense is ahead of schedule and they're starting to add additional quote unquote gadget plays. What does that mean that means that they're now getting fancy with it. Don't worry. I extremely missed that they're going to be. I don't think that they're gonna be out there throwing out this fancy stuff too early. They're gonna put it out there when it matters the most. But I think this team is a further ahead of schedule than a lot of you anticipate, and it's gonna be a lot better than you anticipate. Honestly, we have the capabilities based upon the way that our vocal runs things, is that we can have probably another offense similar to the one we had with Jeff Levy here. Now I remember that was like a top four offense. Do I think that happens next year? I don't know, but I do think that the Bowl prediction, I think that it can happen with with Bo Bentley. I think by the time Bo Bentley's ready to play, it'll either happen with Michael Hawkins or Bo Bentley, but whenever one of those in between those two, I think that if Buckle is still here, they'll have the ability to have that do that that will be massive.
Speaker 2: And if our offense has a pulse sewan, you are one thousand. Correct. Our defense is better, so much better, so much better if you if you know, my background's in accounting, my degrees in accounting. And I heard a story a long, long time ago about about a guy who really thought that he was beating the system and he would rather have less guys who are willing to work more over time because he knew what the quality of work was going to be. And he said it worked famously for ten to twelve years, and then after about fifteen years he started losing dudes left and right and left and right and left and right. Why because they worked their ass off for ten to twelve years, working sixty five seventy five hours, you know, working overtime. And that's what our defense had to do last year. And all the pressure was you can't make a mistake because if you do, we are screwed because you get no help. And I think special teams also, special teams. I'd like to see special teams. Actually, I guess we can have punt returns and we can do.
Speaker 1: Still as those. I have questions about if we're allowed to do that, because that that's not something we've really seen here in a while. We haven't seen a situation where we're I mean, last year, I get I guess. I guess in the Brigitable era, we have been returning both wet, we've been drinking.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Lincoln Riley just he just didn't he didn't care. He didn't He wanted you just catch the ball and give it to the offense because he wanted that. He trusted the offense better than any special team. But you know, pop in the chat, who was the last Sooner to return a punt for a touchdown?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's so easy, you know, that's so easy. Yeah, it's easy.
Speaker 2: I just want to see the chat.
Speaker 1: I want to see does anybody remember the last person? Yeah? Hop in the comments, who's the last person to return a punt for a touchdown? I really don't. I would be surprised if y'all don't know that. And I'm gonna be honest, I really would be surprised if y'all don't know. Hint, it was during it's been in the Venables era. So let's see. I haven't seen anybody but Tate. Tate Sendale did hit a sixty seven yarder field goal at the kicking camp. He's been his boot's been working.
Speaker 2: They there are several people got it.
Speaker 1: G freaking good job, gee freaky, it was g freaking he was Gavin Freeman and that wasn't that was this his first game, first game of season?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because his first touch. He had touchdowns on two first touches and that's all he did for the rest of the season.
Speaker 1: So you had an end a round four touchdown to.
Speaker 2: Okay, Like that's why I said that was the year before that?
Speaker 1: Oh was it year before?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Because his first touch in both years were those big.
Speaker 1: Fair point Arkansas State and then the end around fair That is a good point I did. You're right, Yeah, but.
Speaker 2: You know, we just haven't had anything. And I don't think that I think we kept on trying to throw you or Peyton Bowen back there for the punts. I don't I don't think that. I think he needs just focus on the safety spot, focus on the defense. I'd like to see a guy like a Satania. I'd like to see I mean, if somebody told me that, you know, Jacoby Johnson, you know, was a guy that could that could do it, I'd like to see him try. I know, Satana, like I said, is is one help? If Taylor Tatum could do it? Let him go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm here for Taylor Tatum type one. I could. I could handle that, But I don't think I want my running backs or my wire receivers back there anymore. I've lost interest in that.
Speaker 2: I just feel like Taylor Tatum might not be super relied upon. And that's why I'm okay. Now I know that his coach, his coach knows all about running backs getting hurt, you know, doing special teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because that's what happened. I don't even want to why much you remind us about the fact that that happened to us.
Speaker 2: We all know that, we all know that that's pest, poor luck. That's not like, you know, squid kicking at halftime. But let's go away from PTSD.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't. I don't even want to think about that. Yeah, gosh, that was terrible. All right, thank you for pulling up at the light button. Give you new to the channel, subscribe radios, review us, give us five coop. We are heading into the dark days and recruiting dead period. You have commitments come down the line. It appears you mean July fourth is coming up, got any big plans for the holiday?
Speaker 2: We always go over to our family to Nicole's parents' house. They do have a guy who runs trucking company and dude drops like twenty twenty five thousand dollars on fireworks and he's like, all you neighbors want to pitch in one hundred dollars or whatever, we can do it. Yeah if he if he cleans up. Also, I saw et on that one too, that would be yeah him. But anyway, so we go over there. I will Usually July is my my Uh I beat myself up pretty bad in July because fourth July and my birthday is July seventh, so you know, it's kind of like a week long affair. Usually my kidney's hurt. But I'm being a good boy. That's why I'm drinking Topo Chico and lime instead of Vauka soda or anything. But but no, that's a that's that. I mean, we we've been getting great news during that week the past couple of years. Uh. We all thought that Katie ruined fourth July for us, but it's been great since then. Yeah, hey, listen that it's only a week old. You guys realize the thunder is only a week old. It just crazy, It is crazy.
Speaker 1: Crazy about that the fact that we are actually NBA champions and it's only a week.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's it's funny because Naggie kept on putting out those tweets where you know, when Jada went off, He's like, oh, you football looking for a guy like this, And I saw a couple of people go, Jim Naggy, oh you fans are looking for production like this and put up the put up the thunder. And I, you know, I think that everybody. I do not have any tequila. I don't have anything here at the house, frightening otherwise I might have, but but I digress. You know, Fourth July is one of my favorite holidays, just because my birthday. We used to go up to Wisconsin for Fourth of July and so it was like it peaked out at like ninety degrees and we just go fishing in the Superior and have a blast. I've always loved the time of year.
Speaker 1: What about this is a good time.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna probably take a couple of days go relax. My kids, my nieces and nephews and little cousins. They always get together as they're all mainly adults now, so they're gonna get together on the fourth and do their little thing, and I'm just gonna find a way to not be around. I'm just gonna let them enjoy themselves and I'm gonna do a good job of relaxing. And then we're gonna come up on your birthday, which is the seventh. They we're gonna come up on my birthday which is the fourteenth, and then we're gonna go and really party hard because we're hoping that there's some flipping commitments that happened in July, which I wanna remind you all, Oklahoma has done its best work usually in the end of July early August, which is also to even add to that, which is kind of funny. It's we typically even we see majority of our work, then we also we also don't see a lot of the flip miss stuff. I want to see a lot of players disappearing off of our recruiting sheet, right, is that like something that I think we should be happy about that? Do you guys like hearing about flips?
Speaker 2: We saw we saw some flips, you know, like a Jade and O'Neil. If if you weren't paying attention, then that's the only reason why that that surprised anybody. You know, Yeah, we don't want to steal people's you know, people's thunder. We don't want to steal their experience because that you know, again it's Jaden wanted the best for him. His folks wanted the best for him. But you know, I like not having a lot of this situation. You know, the Conly thing was a little odd. It just kind of seems shady from the get go. And but it's much better because I mean, it's how many people at Miami. I don't even know what to if I was a Miami fan, I don't even know how to take the the their recruiting because every few days they lose somebody and every few days they flip somebody. And so it's, you know, how do you come together as a team when you got new names every single time that you guys get together, where you got to change a new group text every you know, every week, because there's cats that are gone and dudes that came in that you didn't even know who they were. So yeah, but yeah, Jay, I mean it's you know, July seventh, July fourteenth, if you guys didn't know Jay and I that's why we are this way, we're best friends. It's because our birthdays are early a week apart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cancer game.
Speaker 2: I don't think we actually, I don't think we actually knew about that until earlier this year.
Speaker 1: We actually realized that until like this year. Like wait a minute, way, whoa, whoa, whoa. Everybody's that close exactly exactly. But that's the thing though, Like as people were saying here in the comments, I'm not seeing very many other questions what I've been scrolling through to see there's any more questions or whatnot. But oh, seriously, the thing for Oklahoma to be in order to be successful this year, and I get the want to keep my expectations low just in case I'm outside of that. Now I've seen this team have a god awful offense and still win six games. That told me enough about what this staff is trying to put together. Now, I just need them to go ahead and do the rest of it. I need the opposite side to pull its weight and then we're good.
Speaker 2: But and and one of those games was it was Alabama, and Alabama wasn't like perennial Alabama. I really do wish I had some tequila for this, but but it's still it's still June. I can't self deprivate until July first, so Tuesday it is. But yeah, I'm thinking about what I'm gonna go get now. But I uh, I just really really believe that this this team this year has some has the capabilities of doing, I mean, an absolute great thing. And you know, I would say this is with so many questions across you know, college football in general, I would say that guys just hold on because once July hits and once all these new these new things start getting implemented on teams and people who don't have front office is set up very well start going, oh shit, we didn't know about this or what was it. Brad Stevens, you know, they they traded away a couple of players from the Clippers, and he said, I wasn't very aware of the second apron. And You're like, one job, one job. How do we put together a good team? And what are the rules in doing so? That's your only dad gum job at this point. And so I think, but I do. I think that there are a lot of universities that are going to go looking at some stuff and go, oh god, yeah, Richter, recruit, come in here. We need to have a little talk, and you're gonna see a lot of guys open up and and you know, again, if you go out and you do it on the field, it's gonna be a I mean, it's gonna be a fun season. We saw, was FASUSI September? When was his commitment? Was it September or was it October when he finally shut it down?
Speaker 1: Who August is when I think he committed?
Speaker 2: Tell us the home was August? I think, I mean it was it was.
Speaker 1: And then obviously for some visits in November, when you know, Latrell basically was fired and he had to make some changes. But because he thought a beating bow wasn't going anywhere, he's stuck in.
Speaker 2: Okay. I just remember it was later in the year and we had a huge, huge, you know, gap in between commitments, and and I think that you start putting together some you part, you start putting together some you know, a run, you put together you know, a six and oh five and one start, and there's gonna be a lot of people who are that Michigan game. I think that it's going to get a lot more competitive speakabouts, But I don't, I don't. I just don't see Michigan coming in here and hanging with OU. This year, their offense was just as bad as ours. They lost a ton on defense, and right now it's they're they're expected to be good on defense because they have been recently and they've reloaded recently. Well guess what. There ain't nobody with a GoPro and a and a drone filming and practices anymore. So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: So someone there was a question that was asking kJ Ford hasn't committed anywhere, so I don't know if he's going to be flipping since he doesn't committed, and it doesn't sound like very many people have given him a committable offer yet it's kind of weird.
Speaker 2: There's I don't know, I don't like saying those types of things, but there are some things there, and I think that kJ Ford is going to be one that draws into the fall. I think it could be a September he's good. I like October thing that he's good and I like him. But yeah, here it has to be linked up because there's a lot of dudes on my list over here who were just mental midgets and you can't I mean now that it is. We've always knew that, known that college football is a business, but now that it is legitimately an outward business. You know, I wouldn't go hire a seller to come into, you know, my network who I thought was a too type of a person, or an Antonio Brown who was going to be good until he wasn't and then just destroy everything that you've put together. So those are things, and you know what, that's not what I'm saying he is, but there's a lot there that uh, you got to follow, you know, follow it because if if there were, if that wasn't the case, he'd be somewhere committed on Yeah, especially after what he did at Rival Scan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've had some portal flips. We've had some player flips. Oh well player fl I mean the biggest one with Peyton Bowen. You know, that's the one. So the question that was asked was do we see any players let me pull it up her from Mitch. If we have a good season, do we expect to see some flips in November December. I'm gonna say yes. I think that Oklahoma will have the opportunity to do that, and I think kids would be more interesting right now the most important thing is a lot of the players want to see the product on the field, just like you fans do. A lot of you fans aren't bodying like I am, because you want to see the product. And in a lot of situations you have to see. A lot of us miss the forest for the trees, and I totally understand that because in a lot of situations you need do need to focus on the trees itself, the little things here. But the long term plan is, and I'm gonna drop a video about Naggy soon. I actually talk about it unlocked on Sooners for the show that's come out tomorrow, and I'm gonna drop another one here on this channel, or I'm gonna dive a little bit deeper into what I'm looking at when it comes to what Naggie is doing. But the notes of that is this is gonna be a two to three year project. First, nagg he's gonna have to see what these actually maybe four year he's gonna have to see what his evaluational high schoolers and how quickly they evolve into the players they're looking for the next year. And that's gonna take some time to figure that component out. It's gonna be a formula that's going to be figured out. And the traits not only just the pro traits in high school, but the traits that you feel like translate more and more towards the NFL as they get developed. So there's a lot that we're gonna have to wait for. But to answer this question, I do think that a good season does lead to flips.
Speaker 2: And I would say this that I don't think it's gonna be necessarily flips. I think you're gonna have guys who are committed because they wanted to get their spot, they wanted to land in. And that's a big deal. Is you don't want to be you know, There's something that Jade O'Neill was really starting to kind of approach was do you I have somewhere to go because you're not I mean again, we probed it. You're not taken to you know, highly ranked and highly thought of quarterbacks, and so I think what will happen is you'll have uh And let's I'm just gonna say, I don't think that tampering is a thing anymore. It is what it is. I get job at offers situations all the time on LinkedIn and they don't even know if I'm good at my job. I don't. I think I kind of am, but they don't.
Speaker 1: No questionable, but question.
Speaker 2: But I will say I will say this is you're going to have people saying, hey, you're looking at what's going on down here, right, and we'll see the commitments happening. And so I think that we'll see guys de commit and then wait a couple of weeks and then commit to O you if if OU rolls one out. But I don't think that we'll see a bunch of people who you know, put you know, flip alert or anything like that. They'll de commit then then turn Yeah.
Speaker 1: And so Jonathan asked this good question, do we expect Naggie to be around that long? Wasn't an interview with NFL jobs before to side? And oh, you I think he was. I honestly expect Naggy to last here. I give him five years, I really do, And I say that six is not bad. I say five will probably be the maximum we'd be able to hang on to him, because, yeah, you're gonna get an NFL job that's gonna try to snatch him. But I think the thing that intrigued him the most here is that this is completely new, Like this is a completely new setup scenario and everything, and so I can totally see him saying, I wanna, I want to see this out and I want to see if we can build something. Because if he does build something special, yeah, you're gonna have an NFL job that's gonna come a knocking. The question for him is is that is he willing to go take that job and have depending on who's offering the hiring that is, is he willing to take that and risk being fired in so many years depending on who's hiring, or is he looking for something that's going to keep him stable for like the next ten years before he decides to go ahead and hang it up. Some coaches, gms and stuff are like that. They'll rather take a job that allows for them to really implement who they are for long hold. Perfect example, Sam Presty's probably one of the most the gms it's seen at the most people are talking about it now, which I think is stupid. I get it, But if they still think it's stupid because people have been trying to price Sam Presty away from Oklahoma City for like ten years, and they haven't because Presty has too much power and he enjoys not only the power he has, but the ability to be able to do his job the way he wants to get it done with very very little hand on him oversight.
Speaker 2: And I will say this with Sam Presty. I mean not to completely flip it, but go talk to go listen to what Chris Paul, Paul, George Mellow. You know all these casts who came through here, ask them what the one of the you know, one of the best places that they played was it's okay see. And I think that I think that, you know, certain sports outlets don't like that here in Oklahoma because don't like what I'm about to say here in Oklahoma, because he just lets the players live their lives, do ball, go, do, do whatever you want. You don't have psychomedia outside of Barry Trammel, Who's going to ask you some ridiculous question every once in a while. But you're you're you're going to enjoy being here. You know what, is there a cool club scene at four am? No, there's notes, But can you you know, with the money these guys are making, can you can you catch a flight? Yeah? You can't. I just think that with with Naggie, he's going to go to the NFL. That's it's the same thing as you know, who's the next college coach to head to the NFL, Because the NFL is more of a just you know, stick to football situation. You don't have the nil you don't have rules changing every because I don't think July starts the next session of Shenanigans with the pay you know, the paying of players things. But if you guys, I mean I haven't already realized this. This is like step two of maybe five. I think that more and more changes and shifts and everything like that are going to happen every year for the next couple of years. Because the first player who steps up and says, nope, I am willing to you guys are violating my rights and you are hampering what I can earn and I'm taking out of court. The first player to do that is it is going to open up the next floodgate of you know, of the Shenanigan. So this thing is a completely liquid situation, and I fluid situation, and I think that we still have a lot to go before all this stuff is done. And that may you know, Naggie may after three years be like, all right, it's Stacy Ford. I laid the groundwork, knock it out to the league. I go.
Speaker 1: There's always a possibility, and there's also a possibility that he sticks around. But yeah, this is I think this is step step two of twenty. Uh. College football is gonna keep evolving and I'm here for it. I don't mind it. It doesn't bother me because if you want to be one hundred percent honest with it, ain't much change in college football like y'all think it has. I mean, I know everyone is complaining, Oh, nil has ruined football. It's the same schools getting the same players they were gonna get before NIL, and after it's all the same. Like, it's the only schools that have surprised us in getting more players than we would have expected. Now it's SMU, that's it. In Texas Tech. They're probably the two schools that have dove headfirst into NIL and have really capitalized on it. But outside of those two, let's be honest, Yeah, how many have any we have really done anything with it that we're not used to, Like we're used to Maryland landing a random five star We're used to North Carolina landing a random five star. We're also used to Georgia, Alabama, Texas. You know, we're used to Florida. We're used to Oklahoma randomly doing it, Ohio State, Michigan, all the same schools usc all the same schools that typically get high end players. They're just getting the same dudes they used to getting. It ain't much of a change.
Speaker 2: It's you know, you may see the pop up, like last year with Georgia Tech pulling the five star offensive lineman. You may see that situation. But look, I mean, look at basketball news broke the other day of a dude who was from the Virginia area, five star, five star basketball player committed to Virginia Commonwealth BCU. So it happens. Still, it happened. That happens basketball b YU.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. BYU is the other one that's really out there burning it because Ryan Smith, the owner of the Utah Jazz and the Utah Mammoths of the NHL, wants by you to be good. So you're seeing some small pop ups. She ain't getting it as much. But Chuck, to answer your question, you're asking about negative recruiting, and let me explain what negative recruiting actually is. It's not tampering. Negative recruiting is when they walk into a room and let me explain what I mean by this too. Negative recruiting is when a coach walks into a room and say, hey, you saw it having to Oklahoma last year, all those injuries, it's gonna be you if you go there. You shouldn't go there because they had deal with a whole bunch of injuries. They've got all these problems. That's negative recruiting. And unfortunately, this year has been working because all those dudes that were hurt transferred out. Now, that's no different than any other year. The tampering component is is if people are reaching out and talking to our players on our roster and trying to get them out of our roster. And we've had that. We've had schools reach out to Jay and Jackson. We've had schools hit up David Stone, We've had schools hit up all these kids and trying to get them to lead. That's tampering. And I think, honestly, that's gonna be a lot tougher because once the rev share portion kicks in, you're gonna see all these buyouts and school's gonna be willing to pay buyouts. Don't get it twisted. It's like in the pros, and I think that that actually gets to me. That to me, is what's gonna lead to. The buyout world is gonna really change to meet college football the most because it'll be where you'll actually see schools thinking about, all right, do I really want to pay that dude's buy out and actually take him? Do I really want? Am I really that interested in this kid? That's gonna because you're not gonna be if you're shopping kids around, you gotta keep in mind that buyouts gonna be there when that buyout has to go through. A lot of schools are not for everybody. There's gonna be some. But then at the same time, you're the school that they're at. The school's probably gonna be like, I mean, got rep share, we can do that now. Granted, overall with all of this, it's still in the same realm if you really think about it, it's the same realm of you're gonna pay the players that you want to keep, you're gonna let other guys go, And it's really the bigger schools that have the bigger revshare pie are the ones that's gonna spend the money. So my point with the like the native recruiting component is that's what they're doing. They're just walking in saying that this. Go look at what happened to them last year. It's no different than before. We just seen it amplify because of how injury prone we were last year. Look at two thousand and eight, was two thousand and nine season, That two thousand and nine recruiting nine to ten to the twenty ten season, that recruiting was similar. They were all over us of Hey, they had Trent Williams playing center because they were so injured. Yeah, sure, you want to go play.
Speaker 2: Grisham went down as they b went down. It's just every single day everybody went down. Was you know that year was a we're headed to the National Championship game year, and you know that was getting the Landry area because of it. I remember it was against BYU. I was djaying a wedding here in Tulsa. I can name the place, and I can name how pissed off I was wird that same we went down on his shoulder. But it's it's another thing that I canna be a big one is a lot of us are going to be looking at. Yeah, the conversations that start happening around Hey, like the David Stone situation this year. David Stone was a five star defensive lineman here from Oklahoma, obviously went to IMG, but he didn't produce five star defensive lineman money, you know, a talent out on the field of production. And so there's going to be those tough conversations where it's like, hey, you didn't do kind of what we thought you were going to do, so your pay decrease is going to be X and they're gonna be like, but I was a five star. There were guys in front of me. Listen, if you're a five star and you're getting paid five star money, you need to show up and do five star production. That those conversations are gonna start happening. And it can't be but he's a he's an okay preps guy, but he's you know, was a leader of our recruiting class. It doesn't matter. There's no feelings involved in that stuff. And so that's gonna be the hard thing is if you want to give a guy who showed up as a three star balled out and made All Conference third team. Then you're gonna see the opposite where you also have to take a guy who had high expectations and didn't do as well and him take a pay cut.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna be a year to year, year to year.
Speaker 1: And that's gonna be the fun part about it is because it's gonna get more stable. And it actually leads back to the Jim Naggy conversation of how long would Jim Naggy be here to Oklahoma? And you never know if this may be a puzzle, he may enjoy a lot more than you think and doesn't want to go to the NFL, cause it does change. Every four years you're bringing in, every year you're bringing in a new class, and every four years you're refreshing. You know that. I mean that adds a level of excitement and truth be told, For the coaching staff, life is so much easier for them because they don't have to do all the work of the initial eval the the the front office understands the type of players that this staff likes and the ones that make the most sense for what we're trying to achieve, and so guess what they focus on football, So as we say NF You know, NAGGI gos to the NFL is just NFL stuff. To be honest, as we tweak and we establish what NIL standards are, what the rev share standards are. Now that jazz it's NFL, but it's a very watered down version, like the numbers are so much lower. This is gonna be a lot. It'll be an easier way of vanaging, while at the same time, because it's a little bit more complex, gives them mut you needed experience that Honestly, you'll see a lot of these dudes end up getting NFL jobs. I think the NFL is gonna be NFL teams and owners will look at these guys as innovators and creators to do new type of fangled things in the at the next level. They'll be like, Okay, we can bring you in and try to change the way that we're scouting players or looking at players for the draft or whatnot. That to me is what I see with him, So I think it's gonna be fun. That's gonna be fascinating to me long term.
Speaker 2: Well. Also, last point on that is outside of game days, this man is going to be somebody who is lauded by the entire fan base across the across the country, across the world or whatever. But every day he walks out, he's in a hundred thousand person town and everybody around him has places to go, things to do, and they go to school, and they don't have the there's not the fandom. He can walk around like mister nobody, but be the king of you know, a blue blood program. And it's much better than walking out and being downtown La, being downtown San Diego, Vegas. You know, I don't think he's going to Green Bay, that would be a little bit of a switchero, but Indianapolis even so, I think that there's a lot to it that I think that he's going to, you know, fine, kind of like we said with the players that one of the thunder is, you know, you can kind of just be free to live your life because you know, those guys can't go places. You know, right now they are the kings, the kings of the world. But still I think just this area, you know, there's there's a lot of freedom to be able to go out and Starbucks, grab a sandwich, go to the mall and buy something and not have paparazzi all over you.
Speaker 1: Yep, And Noggie's gonna be that dude walking around here and be able to do a lot of that. So we're gonna have some fun this coming season. And of course me and Coople dive into as much as happening. As the conversations go down, there's gonna be a new show that's starting on the REF tomorrow. Keep your eyes open on that. Our guy Darry from you sorry Yeah, is about to have his own show pretty exciting on the REF. I'll be tuned in nine am to hear the ref Army jump in with him. So, of course, thank you out for pulling up hit they like button. If you new to the channel, subscribe rate review, give us five. Thank you to all of our Texas fans that pulled in and talk noise. Thank you Sooner Nation for being in the chat and talking back and forth and you know, having a good time. We'll get back to our twice a week in August. We'll still maintain once a week for now because it's about to be dead again. But you I think commitments Sooners has some commitment potentials down the line coming over the next few, next few weeks, next few days actually, So this week. I'm expecting one I don't know who, but definitely expecting one the week after as well. So make sure you wipe our feet like subscribe rate review, give us five stars. I don't think we deserve it, just give us five anyway. We'll chop it up in each and every one of you. Videos will come over the next week, the next few days, and we'll talk. So be safe. Pis