Speaker 1: We've traveled through gravity falls.
Speaker 2: Journeyed into the unknown, and.
Speaker 3: Now we need a vacation.
Speaker 1: Join us as we travel to Beach City for rejumbering and all new Stephen Universe rewatch podcast exclusively on our Patreon.
Speaker 3: Every month, hear us, hang out and discuss two episodes of Stephen Universe at patreon dot com slash mystery Shack for as little as three dollars a month. Also at that tier, you can receive an ad free cut of this very Book of Bill podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm just happy we get to sit back and relax. Nothing weird ever happens in Beach City right now.
Speaker 3: I don't think somber show. Well, yeah, that sounds accurate.
Speaker 2: Sign up at patreon dot com slash mystery Shack exclamation bar.
Speaker 3: Do take without that because it is at url.
Speaker 2: Okay, sign up at patreon dot com slash mystery Shack.
Speaker 4: Hey, if you're listening to this the day it came out December twenty second, Tonight in the Mystery Shack, look back discord server, your curators are going to be doing a reading of the Muppet Christmas Carol. That's at ten pm Eastern, seven pm Pacific. We're also going to have David Gansel aka Doggins guesting as Scrooge and Adam Knew the Spittleman guessing. Is a whole bunch of characters. Ashall oah, bless us. Everyone, enjoy the podcast.
Speaker 5: Take me back to the place sign know with the Mystery Shack and the Forest Gnomes. I'm already back, so come on, let's go. Don't get me started. My heart's in gravity Falls.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Mystery Shack, look back, a nostalgic time capsule and a what's a weapon consisting of a book tied to a club of the current Gravity Falls fandom. We are your curators.
Speaker 3: I'm Ella, I'm Charlie.
Speaker 2: And I'm Shelby. We got a new iTunes review.
Speaker 3: That's true. Please rate us five stars on iTunes and Spotify. It is the best way for people to discover our podcast and.
Speaker 2: For me to feel good and to let us know you want more Gravity Falls podcast.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: We're gonna to be doing a kind of listener mail episode coming up soon. Yeah, yeah, anything in the iTunes reviews there we'll read. We'll read emails at Mystery Shack look back at gmail dot com.
Speaker 1: Right because there are there are a few we haven't gotten to.
Speaker 3: Yet, but this review, it is a five star review. That's good bye. You've got to be kitten.
Speaker 2: This is from Mabel herself, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I probably is.
Speaker 3: And it's titled Book of Bill and the text just reads, are y'all kind of review the Book of Bill?
Speaker 4: To which we could say.
Speaker 6: Uh no, no, no, no.
Speaker 4: So what are we talking about today?
Speaker 2: The Book of Bill?
Speaker 1: You know, I guess we were kitten.
Speaker 3: They were right, they had us packed. Yeah, what is the Book of Bill? Why?
Speaker 1: The Book of Bill is a Gravity Falls book that released on July twenty third, twenty twenty four. It follows series antagonist Bill Cipher as he tells the story from his perspective. So you know, it is very much a book written by Bill.
Speaker 3: Okay that okay, I probably could have parsed that together.
Speaker 1: At least it's not as confusing as the Gravity Falls vinyl soundtrack. I really needed that broken down for me.
Speaker 3: Thank you for breaking that down for us? Of course. Yes, yeah, So when we did Journal three and Dipper and Mabel's Guide to Mystery and NonStop Fun, we had the author of those journals, Rob Brenzettion.
Speaker 4: So if Bill Cipher wrote this book.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, we must still, we should probably reach out, right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Does anybody have his contact info?
Speaker 1: I got I think I got it. The old rolla dix ah okay, Angulum intangulum, vinny forrest Dominus mentium, vinny boris by that disomnia sick yep, thank yep, gil sec yepil sick yepksack yep, dooksack yep, bilk sack yep.
Speaker 7: Oh geez, every time I go into my blood baths, somebody tries to give me a phone call.
Speaker 2: What do you want it worked, Ladies and gentlemen and non binary pals. Welcome to the show. New York Times best selling author Bill Cipher here.
Speaker 7: Oh, we're talking about how great I am. Okay, I guess that's worth getting out of the top four.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Your recent release, the Book of Bill uh rocket into the top of the best seller list. It's been sold out everywhere for half a year.
Speaker 4: I know Shelby had to drive quite a distance.
Speaker 1: I went to US one, which is probably the best place to get the book of Bill. Oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the lizard man rang me up and.
Speaker 3: First name, last name, and occupation. Yeah, we were hoping to interview you more about your writing process.
Speaker 7: Writing is just like lying but on paper, Libel, do that voice again, and I strip your flesh from your bone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not dangerous anyway.
Speaker 3: They tried to censor my book.
Speaker 7: But guess where the censors are now, I tell you, But they'd censor it.
Speaker 8: Okay, they're at hell.
Speaker 7: The only thing more fun than publishing whatever I want is hearing jokers like you. Believe it, and this little retrospective comedy avoids your life.
Speaker 8: Variety Hour has been great.
Speaker 9: Pr for me.
Speaker 1: I mean, we usually just usually just talk about what a terrible person you are most of the time.
Speaker 7: Oh there you go again, you dickens. I'm blushing. You can't tell I'm made of light anyway. Nobody can possibly stop me, not you, not the publishers, not Alex Thirsch, because nobody at all of oz, no wizard that there is or was, is ever gonna bring me down. Sorry, these are the wrong cute cards. Wait, it's feeling?
Speaker 3: Am I being possessed?
Speaker 9: How is that possible?
Speaker 3: What being in the multiverse could be powerful?
Speaker 1: Not to?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, it can't be.
Speaker 9: All right, Okay, I'm back, that's right. Oh I possessed? Bill, You're hey here? I am, let's do it. Well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well everybody, welcome back to the show. Creator of Gravity follows Alex Hirsh.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to the show. You were previously on our episode on Cipher him.
Speaker 9: Don't I always love to return to a podcast.
Speaker 3: Oh, you're right, it's like returning home.
Speaker 1: It is you next summer.
Speaker 9: As they say, I feel great in front of a microphone, a touch tool adopter, a touch too, al laptop with audasstady.
Speaker 2: Open attached the internet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've scheduled this interview twice because what you said to me was this book performed way better than anyone expected.
Speaker 4: Yes, how has that been for you?
Speaker 9: Journal three was the sort of evergreen bestseller. It did so well, and it continued to perform extraordinarily well for I mean, it's a monster manual for a show that ended eight years ago, and you know, people are still buying it. And so Disney had asked me in twenty nineteen. I believe they said, oh my god, Journal three did so well. Will you do Journal two? Will you do Journal one? And I said, that doesn't really make sense narratively. I feel like the most interesting stuff happens, you know, when the other pines show up and I just I don't. I don't have a whole book. The reason Journal three is interesting is because it's a companion piece to the series and it sort of answers those questions. I don't think that's interesting. I was like, you know, but what I would do for you is like a cursed evil Bible by Bill telling kids to like, you know, burn down churches and stuff. And they said no, what, absolutely not. And I said, yeah, no that's fair. It's that that is a terrible idea. Okay, bye. And then years later a new department said, hey, you remember that idea about a cursed evil Bill Cipher book. Do you really will you do that for us? And I was like, you said before that that was a bad idea to give a evil bible the children. And they're like, yeah, but we want content. So I was like, okay, if you really want it. And you know, so this was literally just what would be fun for me.
Speaker 3: Was that new department. Was that related to it being published under Hyperion and when Westa instead of Disney precisely?
Speaker 9: Yeah, So the Hyperion Buenev people reached out to me and I said, yeah, I mean, if you'll let me just make it completely chicking bugnuts crazy. Sure, yeah, I'll do it. And so I was thinking of it almost like a you know, an anniversary present to the fans that continue to show up, and I say, oh, I, hey, happy anniversary, honey, here's a little gift for you.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being there for me.
Speaker 3: This is flat word.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's the fact that especially that you know, kids that grew up with it who weren't on the internet as it was airing, are now on the Internet.
Speaker 9: There's sort of like a generational ven Diagram thing happening right now where people who were yes, twelve when the show premiered are twenty now and people who were twenty when the show premiered are twenty eight now. And so you've got you know, fans that now have kids and kids that are discovering it at the same time. And so there's suddenly this kind of like maximum four quadrant engagement and sort of cross generational appeal resulting in just this explosion of content and fandom and old fans and new fans and yeah, oh I remember you should have been there for the Tumblr days.
Speaker 1: You have no idea that's what this podcast, Yeah, I mean, that's.
Speaker 3: Our podcast I know, but it's like your podcast.
Speaker 9: I mean, I assume probably more people have been downloading it.
Speaker 4: Oh for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah. No, So I have a lot of like popular gravity Falls videos on YouTube. I sent like a screenshot of like my views over the past year to people, and I'm like, hey, just look at this graph and just try to guess when Book of Bill dropped, because it's like everything else is flat by comparison, because a line graph could only show so much because there's just a giant mountain there.
Speaker 9: That mountain is across all metrics. The show's being watched, you know, three times four times what it was being watched, you know before the book came out. I mean it's recently. It was just in the like top ten most watched things on Disney Plus, and that includes the Simpsons and the Avengers and Frozen.
Speaker 3: Yeah I am doctor who. Yeah.
Speaker 9: So I'm still wrapping my head around it. I'm grateful that the fans remember the anniversary too.
Speaker 3: So where does all of this Book of Bill history start?
Speaker 1: Now? I guess we'd have to go to the Oregon Parks Department Twitter account created in March twenty sixteen to promote journal three.
Speaker 3: Right the first page in Journal three specifically is by Gus Burnside, the park Ranger. The kind of narrative of Journal three is that the Oregon Parks Department found this and is putting it up for auction, and the character from that first page had an in character arg Twitter account. It also was involved in puzzling Pines, which we talked about during Lost Legends. Yes, it was one of the places where the puzzle pieces was tweeted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it is very much like it is the link between the Gravity Falls world and our world. Like if something is going to manifest in our world, Gus Burnside seems to be the first to know.
Speaker 3: On December fourteenth, twenty twenty three, the account posted for the first time in four years and tweeted a black and white image of a road with a yellow triangular sign about slippery conditions.
Speaker 2: From there, it tweeted picks of a brimstone moth, a dorito chip, and redwood tree rings with Bill's hat visible. This would be explained in the Book of Bill to indicate whenever Bill would visit the Gravity Falls Valley.
Speaker 1: The account then tweeted an image and a video of a Bill Cipher shaped popsicle, which was crafted by Aaron Boffman, which is melting and covered with ants. What a great image.
Speaker 2: Delicious.
Speaker 3: I love that. So yeah, though we kind of knew something was coming at this point, although no one knew quite what it was. Obviously there were clamors of season three.
Speaker 1: I mean that's people will say that with no evidence, so give them evidence, and it's.
Speaker 4: I remember, this was very exciting.
Speaker 3: Our server kind of started to we have a discord every by the way, you could find it in the description wherever you're listening to the podcast or on pipe period podcast dot com kind of came back to life, been like, hey, what what what the chick is happening?
Speaker 9: When it rewards the biggest freaks, it's more fun, right, So when it's somebody's saying, hey, everybody, the Oregon Parks twitter hasn't updated in six years or whatever, and it just did. Do you think that means something's coming? And then people say, no, what are you talking about? Who cares? And then there's another tweet They're like, all I think And suddenly it starts to build and so it's like it the folks who are most tuned into the most esoteric corners of it are getting the greatest sense of satisfaction when they get to say, hey, I.
Speaker 1: Told you so, well, yeah, you want to appeal to the people wearing the sandwich boards with greg with messages on them, are are the ones that will be the first to know.
Speaker 9: And they will be my best advertisers. No one will get the book better than the passionate evangelists to see the signs and the tea leaves that say it's returning because then thought they were right. They will be shouting it from the rooftops, and they will be more effective than any campaign that Disney could possibly come for.
Speaker 1: Now all of China knows you're bad.
Speaker 3: The last tweet on December fourteenth said, finally turning in for the night will be up bright and early tomorrow.
Speaker 4: According to the.
Speaker 3: Weather, it's gonna be some sunny day hashtag always check the weather.
Speaker 2: The next day, the account tweeted a picture of Crater Lake in Oregon with the caption boy, I love lakes. It's so calming, outstanding magnificence in nature, gus.
Speaker 3: And the first letter of each word of that sent spells out Bill is coming.
Speaker 1: And then Alex you tweeted getting a headache, Maybe I'll feel better if I close one eye, which is how I believe the announcement of the Bill Cipher Ama has started as well. That's sort of lets you know that a possession is coming on. And then after that you tweeted against all laws of physics, logic and good taste, Bill Cipher has somehow managed to write a book. This can't be good. The Book of Bill invades bookstores this July. And then there's a video of the book itself rotating and sort of glitching out, and there's an eyeball on and all of a sudden and things like that.
Speaker 3: The University of Oregon tweeted Friday fit check and they were holding up their their hands in the sign of an O to represent Oregon, the two girls in the photo, and then Gus quote tweeted.
Speaker 2: And said, go Oregon, you am I doing this right? And it's a picture of supposedly of Gus making a triangle with his hands.
Speaker 1: Alex are you Gus? Are those your hands?
Speaker 9: Those are not my hands? Actually those are Jeffrey Thompson's hands. I said, hey, people are gonna people are gonna notice that they're my hands because my fans are so psycho. Could could you please use your mandling masculine hands.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 9: But then then later other videos, it's my hands, Like I just stopped care because I was we're running out of time. I was like, oh, I just I was just, you know, Gus, I was just having fun.
Speaker 3: Now, you had announced that the book was coming out in July, and then the Oregon Parts Department starts tweeting again in July.
Speaker 1: In July.
Speaker 3: In July, make.
Speaker 9: Cheese for him.
Speaker 1: It's a lot of shit, do you know that?
Speaker 3: And the first return tweet was careful campers. When that arrow points to that yellow triangle, it means things are about to heat up. This weekend could be a scorcher. There are so many creative ways to post. Hey, Bill Zipher's releasing a book. As a park stranger who was unknowing to any of this going on.
Speaker 1: All you need to do is incorporate a yellow triangle, and there are so many ways to do that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've seen some creative tweets with the yellow triangle formulations from some of the artists.
Speaker 1: That's also true. Yeah. And then on July fourteenth, it tweeted an image of bones found by scouts that were left by a coyote and the bones spelled out nine days.
Speaker 2: The next day, it tweeted a roadside sign that read he is coming eh days. This was an edited public domain image of a FEMA sign from twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: It was like one of those like electrical signs you'd see on the highway, like buckle up or something.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, And the image also contained a code that was previously unknown runes.
Speaker 1: And well we'll get in more into that later in our hall of conspiracy, speaking of which I think we have like a mouse or something.
Speaker 3: I have been hearing some sounds. We haven't been in there in two years.
Speaker 1: I'm sure we'll figure it out.
Speaker 2: I mean I go down there periodically, but my food is always missing. Like I put my lunch down there, and when I come back, it's gone. So I've had a door doash Are you accusing.
Speaker 3: Me of something? You can just you could just say my name.
Speaker 2: I'm just I'm just saying a statement. I mean, like you've accused me of taking your food, but well.
Speaker 3: My food is going okay, And you just said you went down there a lot.
Speaker 2: A break in the case would eventually come.
Speaker 1: This is referring to I think it's the I think.
Speaker 2: That's the ones who who cracked the runes at Trick and Gravity Falls and at jim Bag Underscore seven seven seven.
Speaker 3: Cracked They cracked to the ruins that we didn't know about yet.
Speaker 1: Well there's they only got some of the letters though, I think, Yeah, how no idea.
Speaker 3: The next image, July sixteenth, was a Bill Cipher cup in a pile of litter. Poster nearby said limited offer only seven days and a small paper that says runs for beginners, likely a nod to the then yet to be cracked code in the last image.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's how Okay. They noticed a recurring symbol in every image minus the eighth day one. They figured out the signature of the artists who created the image and figure out some symbols from that's wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I always say that, you know that fans are always you know, they're ten times better at decoding the shit than I even think they're gonna be. And then I try to, you know, raise the bar, and it's always even more than I say.
Speaker 1: The July seventeenth image was of a Neon sign pointing to a motel six. Due to the various lights being out, read will meet as in like lunch meet again six.
Speaker 4: Days again two separate words.
Speaker 1: Again, yes, that's true. The moon in the sky also was shining on the clouds in a way that formed a triangle. They're being real subtle.
Speaker 2: So for the fifth day, it was an image of a huge murmuration of rare yellow throated sterlings, and they formed in the sky to say five days.
Speaker 3: Then July nineteenth had a photo of Gus showing mosquito bites on him that spelled out four daye. This was a nod to the mosquitoes in the show that spelled out bewarb on Dipper's arm revealed to be soothsquitos in Journal three who give poorly spelled warnings. In the background, the Bill Cipher statue was visible.
Speaker 1: On July twentieth, Gus instead tweeted that he found something strange in the woods while out for a walk. He then said he would post a video.
Speaker 2: It was a TikTok.
Speaker 10: Litter is the worst thing to see in our national parks. But I found something strange today. Does anyone know someone named Bill comment if this book is yours?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: That was the book of Bill Goes Well the Boogaboo.
Speaker 1: But more importantly, they had a TikTok account.
Speaker 3: Gus is really doing his part to make the Oregon Parks Department hit for the gen z h Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, you could call him out of touch all you want, but he's trying.
Speaker 9: I was never on TikTok. I didn't know anything about TikTok. I only made a TikTok account for the organ Parks to sort of just like post some content there because I just was sort of trying to put stuff wherever I could. My TikTok feed the like maybe eleven days thirteen days after the book came out, and I was just like scrolling and I was like I could scroll for hours, and every time I swipe my finger up, it's people in well produced videos, dancing and singing and pantomiming and creating and cosplaying. Like you know, the difference between this and the Tumbler generations. Like Tumbler, you see somebody's word post or their drawing post every now and then you see, you know, a costume, but TikTok is just the humans reacting, which you just don't normally get to see. And it's sort of overwhelming, but it does a little bit feel like this is like a black mirror episode where like I got hit by a bus on the way to deliver the manuscript to Disney, and I'm in a coma and I'm imagining a world where everyone is everyone is pantomiming to voices that I did when I was twenty seven. Like my whole feed is like people building monuments of this cartoon. I'm like, this is not real. This is an Yeah, like none of this makes any sense, Like what is going on here? Yeah? Exactly, I'm having a stroke.
Speaker 3: Then, on both the Twitter and the TikTok, he posted a video showing the book raining teeth.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, what is going on?
Speaker 10: Teeth? Teeth, teeth, Yeah.
Speaker 1: And on July twenty first, after a longer than normal weight, Oregon Parks Department tweeted, there's something wrong with this book, followed by it hasn't been acting the way books are supposed to act.
Speaker 3: How a book acts is a pretty recognized behavior that a deviation from might be necessity.
Speaker 1: I think we have a very rigid social expectation for how books should act, and don't. I don't think that's right.
Speaker 2: I mean, if I had a nickel for each time a book range teeth, I would have two Nikels.
Speaker 1: And if I had a nipple for each time of book Green Teeth, I'd have two nipples, which is how many I have.
Speaker 4: It must have happened.
Speaker 2: Gus mentions that the pages are changing and glitching, with photos to show the book glitching out and even doing a blue screen of.
Speaker 3: Death, and then he tweets a pick of a page not in the regular book with a message directly to him from Bill Ah, I guess I'll read this. Well, well, well, here we are at last. I was wondering when I'd finally get a chance to meet the famous ranger Gus Burnside, big fan of all long, droning speeches you give to the boy scouts about tick safety, by the way, and your elk facts. Brother, don't get you started. Look, Khaki's you've never been the life of the party. What might say that's why you left your hometown and everyone you knew behind to start a new life in the middle of nowhere. Cataloging bark, we both know your cutout for something more. You've got a hell of a moral compass, buddy, gets a bit tedious, doesn't it. How'd you like to take that compass for a spin? The Dorris who litter your parks, those teens who make out buying the puma taxidermy and the gift shop. That one coworker who never stops doing bird calls. Wouldn't it be nice to make all those voices go away peace quiet. That's why you came to the woods, isn't it? Gus? Was that a reference to your bird call video that you caught on Letterman before as a teenager?
Speaker 9: You know, I one time ask career Al why the number twenty seven appears in all of his songs, and he said, Oh, I don't know. I just think it's a funny number. So I think I just have You know, that's just if I'm reaching for a dumb thing for a part ranger to do, bird calls will be on the mind. But it was conscious thought. Although I did recently go back to people want to judge the bird calling contest that was that was a amazing I was the celebrity judge. It was actually really lovely to go back to high school and be kind of a local celebrity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was the best bird call?
Speaker 9: Look, I'm no ornithologist. The kids who seem to have the most passion they got the.
Speaker 1: Points Okay, it's about what's in your heart.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Gus then tweets the next day that he got terrible headaches and nightmares and had locked the book in the basement. He then goes to check it again smart.
Speaker 2: He then tweets a video showing it infecting other books with this strange stringy things attaching to the books as the Book of Bill gets closer to it.
Speaker 3: Eventually, he has had enough and says he's gonna get rid of it.
Speaker 1: He tweets another video showing him burying the book and on TikTok. The video has the AI voice.
Speaker 10: Saying there you go back to hell.
Speaker 2: Gus then returns to have a drink and posts a video showing the book has returned and is now resting behind several drinks in his cabinet.
Speaker 3: He then decides he's going to burn the book, tweeting simply fire.
Speaker 1: After four whiskies, Gus goes to a Smoky the Bear cut out and apologizes to him for what he is about to do, holding the Book of Villain hand.
Speaker 2: After which he tweets a video showing the Book of Bill being burned.
Speaker 3: Seeming happy it's over, Gus tweets a pick of him cleaning the ashes within them, the burn paper spells out you shouldn't have done that.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about what it insane marketing tactic? It is to show the book that you want people to buy being burned.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean that. The key to this is that I did not run it by anybody.
Speaker 1: The key to yes, you got it.
Speaker 9: Every single thing that you saw was a thing that I did on my own time. I was just like, look, I know what is the thing, So I'm just gonna do it. And nobody's gonna play when they look at those sales numbers. So I had, you know, I had so many mad dreams where I'm like, oh, you know, this is a big company. We got a marketing department, you know, can we actually get a billboard?
Speaker 3: Can we do all this stuff?
Speaker 9: And very quickly it becomes like no, like we're in a recession. Even companies like Disney are tightening their belt. The billboard is a metaphor anyway, right exactly, if it's not gonna get me excited, it's not gonna get anybody else excited. So I have to follow those crazy, stupid whims, even if they don't make sense, even if my friends at work are like, but what were you doing this weekend? And I was like, oh, I was burning a book on my roof. But then uh, like the fire got out of hand, and now did that really happen? Yes, And they're like, why were you doing? I'm like, you just got to listen to what the demon says. Man like, the demon knows the answers. I just got to follow those weird hunches, you know.
Speaker 3: Gus supposedly goes to sleep after that, with one last tweet being made of just a black rectangle with no caption.
Speaker 1: Who would care about rectangles? That feels pretty meaningless.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the black rectangles really feels like everything is said and done and there's nothing there. And I don't really know who would read too much into that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Two days after, on July twenty fourth, Oregon Parks Department under a supposedly new Rangers Control tweet saying Gus is God missing. There's a missing poster with an image of Gus and a goat. His face is ripped off so we can't see it. It also says on the poster that he was less seen near the Ranger station on July twenty second at eleven thirty pm, and that he is fifty three years old, five foot ten and one hundred and ninety pounds.
Speaker 1: The next day, Alex You tweeted a pick with a number two Bill Seipher's Personal Injury Hotline, Hi, and.
Speaker 11: Welcome to the Bill Seiper Personal Injury Hotline. Billzeipher will assist you in a moment, But first, are you in pain? Pres one? Before you get I am in pain?
Speaker 1: If you call it, Press one very good.
Speaker 11: If you've been hit by a buzz Rets one currently being torn apart by wolves, Press two, being fit slowly into a buz saw, Press three, are you currently on fire? Four?
Speaker 1: And then press four it plays up sorry God, which seems to indicate that Bill had something to do with Gus's disappearance and that it was not good.
Speaker 2: The last tweet from the Oregon's Park Department was on July thirty first, as a quote retweet from the Joshua Tree National Park Service to Marked World Ranger Day. It read if you knew him, either from his tick safety workshops or his famous pine cone collection, please say a prayer for our lost ranger, Gus M. Burnside.
Speaker 12: Your words of encouragement would mean a lot to his family. While local law enforcement continues the search hashtag come back Gus.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we don't know anything. The Oregon Parks Department Twitter has not tweeted since July thirty. First, we don't know the ultimate fate of Gus byrdside on less you wanted to say a little piece on that here.
Speaker 1: Or at least a prayer and a eulogy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, you know, Gus is kind of like he's sort of like a Hank Hill kind of a character, just like, you know, he's just he's a fourth right, earnest kind of guy who really cares about nature. It's sort of like if Hankhill went to Twin Peaks is sort of the Gus bird Side.
Speaker 3: Yeah, universe, what the hell is a bomb? Real shock for?
Speaker 9: He bought a dobbible.
Speaker 3: We're talking backwards.
Speaker 9: I got a talk backwards day I saw from TV. I love this character. You know the Simpsons writers Josh Weinstein, Herron and Gravit Falls. He's a Simpsons, amazing Simpsons writer. Sure, his favorite character, right was Principal Skinner because there's just something very funny about you know, a Bart Simpson plays great against a Principal Skinner. Bill sihera great against characters. That's sort of kind of stuffy, out of touch, and you know, don't really care for cartoons. They angry up the blood, you know. And I can't say anything about Gus's fate, but I will say that I am deeply invested in the world of Gus Burnside, even though it is a completely bizarre, ancillary thing to the Bill Cipher Gravity Falls Universe.
Speaker 3: Do you want to just real quick, hkaka that GFN our guest in the previous episode. Our guest in the previous episode did all the research.
Speaker 2: For this segment? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Please, please please If you haven't heard the previous episode where we covered the Gravity Falls final soundtrack with him, do that. I know it's not as enticing as the Book of Bill, but that's what Bill wants you to think. Yes, the image of the other books being infected. It is illustrated in the book on one of the first pages by Ford trawn Bon.
Speaker 2: This one is done by Emmy Cesarieika.
Speaker 3: You also paid out of your own pocket for a display at Barnes and Noble of the Book of Bill infecting other books? What How?
Speaker 9: Did?
Speaker 13: How?
Speaker 3: Why?
Speaker 9: The very first idea, literally the first email I sent to Disney after we started talking about doing the Book of Bill. I was like, I'll do it if I can do this stand and I just drew it on like a little sticky note like it's going to be in the center, it's going to possess the books. And they're like, yes, yes, yes, okay, we'll do it. We'll do it. When it finally came down to there, like we're out of budget, and I was like, okay, how much does it cost. I'll pay for the damn thing myself, like I wanted to see it so badly. And the thing is like it paid off times a thousand because I posted a TikTok video of that and it's got seventeen point five million views, which is like, I mean, you think about how many views that is, Like the gravity of this finale was maybe seen, you know, on air when it aired, like five million consecutive views, Like that's an unbelievably viral TikTok video for an account that only existed four days prior to it being posted.
Speaker 3: Take that, Nielsen writings, and it really, you know, it really helped.
Speaker 9: So I mean, I just try to make the stuff that would get me excited, and I just I think we're so used to, especially with like there's just constant promotions for everything all the time. We're inundated with it, and most of it is sort of without a lot of thought or creativity or interactivity, and it's like the only way to punch through and this attention economy is to create stuff that gets me excited.
Speaker 2: I feel like you're constantly reinventing like ways to create new things for this. Yeah, it's like, it's really amazing how inventive you are with this book, with the social media campaign. You're a legend.
Speaker 9: Man, Oh thank you. It's making TV is really really hard. Making a book is pretty hard. Making a ad campaign is fun and easy. So it's sort of the same thing that I said, you know, in our last podcast about being a professional goblin or whatever.
Speaker 3: It's like a worldwide treasure hut is so much easier than making one episode of a cartoon.
Speaker 9: Infinitely infinitely easier, and creating websites and codes and billboards and secret stuff like is just pure joy. It's just a delight.
Speaker 3: So I was.
Speaker 9: I found it to be very rewarding, and I'm so happy that people have been enjoying it.
Speaker 1: Speaking more on the budgetary limitations kind of affecting what you can do with the company itself, which again I think speaks to this weird new media landscape where the DIY stuff does exponentially better than what you could accomplish with Like you know, you've compared working with Disney to like it's like having a pet dinosaur, Like sometimes it'll lumber around, it might knock stuff over. It's it's kind of too powerful for its own good. But you know, you can also accomplish things on the ground in smaller scale that end up snowballing better. But more specifically, you said you wanted to incorporate a lot of like multimedia like physical props like in the book, you know, talking more facetiously, you know, you said like in a perfect world to be live bees. But were there other specific things that you wanted to include in the book, like in terms of tax tile features that were out of the question.
Speaker 9: I mean, yeah, I mean the thing is like, you know, Bill is an incredibly visual character. He's you know, transforming, and it's like if the genie from a Laddin wrote a book, you'd be like, why am I looking at text? I want to see this guy transforming? Yeah, And so it's it's sort of impossible to do a book that is as chaotic as Bill would really be. So it's like, you know, I did everything I could within the media to try to communicate that chaos. But you know, of course I asked the company for everything you can imagine. I was like, you know, can we have you know, I wanted there to be this bookmark that had like sort of three D glasses material that would like reveal certain colors I wanted to do.
Speaker 3: I had.
Speaker 9: I remember having like activity books when I was a kid that would come with magnets or like wheels that you can turn with decoder stuff in them, or that would have like you know plastic you know layers where it's like the human body and you're removing the lungs and you're removing the skin and like and I had so many I remember, you know, early Internet, like angel Fire website, days like you got your infrom as like a kid from like all these kind of cool interactive sort of like fun like science books. And I just wanted to have like the most amount of optical illusions, the most amount of crazy things you could possibly I mean, the other thing I really wanted to do, like should I say this now I can. I wanted to put in randomized differences. I wanted there to be like five variations of the book with certain particular randomized differences, that people would discover those differences and then realized that they had almost been sorted into different categories, almost like Harry Potterhouses.
Speaker 3: Like or like the three endings of Clue.
Speaker 9: It wasn't going to be like major stuff like an ending change or whatever. It was going to be more like Bill Seifer has sort of designated you the reader in a certain way that is randomized by the book that you happen to pick up. You know, they just said that, like if you print variations of a book, it has different ISDN numbers, which means that won't tally the New York Times list as one book, it'll tally as five.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, you could have gotten.
Speaker 3: Five New York Times best sellers for one book.
Speaker 4: With how big this has been.
Speaker 9: I'm not the kind of guy who believes that the stove is hot until I touch it, So like I'm constantly testing to see, like can we do this? Can we can we encourage a book that you rip in half? Can we have a book that's ten books, and you know, like out of every thirty questions you ask, you know, like one of them, they're like, we can do that.
Speaker 1: So there's the about the author section sort of.
Speaker 3: For you on the book jacket there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's nazzy jacket, I must say, hmm, not a sweater. No, but it does similar to Journal three's jacket having sort of a secret on the inside with the blueprint of the shack Tron. This gives us the paper that was in the last Maple Corn where it's sort of a diagram of our world, the mind scape and then the Nightmare Realm. And then four does like that evil version of the Mad magazine fold in where you know, the Nightmare Realm comes to our world.
Speaker 3: And if you're interested in dust I also have a dust Buster.
Speaker 1: That's true. It's a quaint little piece from the nineteen eighties.
Speaker 3: We're curious if you would give us a reading on your own a bio.
Speaker 9: Sure you just want me to read the author bio. Yeah, yeah, as as Bill Cipher or as myself.
Speaker 4: Use your judgment of how it sounds in your head.
Speaker 9: Sorry, one moment, let me grab a book. I think I got one near Fire.
Speaker 2: You got twenty of them.
Speaker 1: Built your house out of them.
Speaker 7: Hi friends, I'm Alex Hirst, creator of Gravity Town, and I'm definitely not possessed by a demon. Right now, I'm using my normal human hands to write a message in stupid human letters commanding you.
Speaker 9: To buy the Book of Bill immediately.
Speaker 7: This book contains the never before revealed true story of Bill Cipher, his most cryptic riddles, darkest deals, and great advice for what to do with your sad, pathetic life. And it's written by the greatest writer of all time, Callibserb. The human, a regular man made of meat and goo.
Speaker 3: Alex isn't dead.
Speaker 2: He's fine.
Speaker 8: He's fine.
Speaker 9: He's fine, He's fine.
Speaker 8: I'm fine.
Speaker 1: Hell, they perfect, amazing.
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: What was it like to be possessed?
Speaker 9: There?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Was great?
Speaker 9: God, just five minutes outside of my own brain was a lovely vacation, my blessing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have adhd as well. I catch you.
Speaker 1: And then The back cover contains a few review quotes. This one is from the artist formerly known as Weird al Yankovic. I thought I liked things that were weird, but I was wrong. This book was too weird for me. I feel maucious just thinking about the horrifying psychosis contained within. I'm legally changing my name to normal Al now and pushing all my Hawaiian shirts out to sea on a barge. I'll avoid this book at all costs.
Speaker 3: Ella, you announced in our discord server that now that the name is open.
Speaker 1: Oh that's right, Yes, I'm weird Al Now.
Speaker 3: I decided there wasn't another one out there. There can only be one. Yes, it's like the Santa Claus. You put on the Hawaiian shirt. You're the weird guy, the weird.
Speaker 1: Clause the night the Santa Claus went crazy.
Speaker 2: The second quote on the back is I found this arcane volume in a musty isle oft the most accursed of libraries. Nightly visitations by foul spirits commenced most immediately. It has infected my mind and my dreams, and it will destroy your sanity for all that is good and holy. Stay away from it, and whatever you do, do not read it. Attributed to Guiermo del Toro.
Speaker 1: These are not encouraging reviews, but I guess maybe the last one will well now.
Speaker 3: So the last one says, look, I hate to disagree with Giermo and normal Al, but I love this thing ever since I read it, I keep hearing this screaming in my plain that won't stop and buy the GotY for everyone I know. We love Bell, we love Bell, we love.
Speaker 4: Bell, and that is by Charlie Day. You're welcome for that impression.
Speaker 1: Charlie, what the hell are you talking about?
Speaker 2: So the book itself is a beautiful feat of multimedia and inventive storytelling. A lot of the writers and board artists from the show itself did return to create pieces of photography and illustrate some pieces, even being three D modeled and printed to create the art. I'll say that, like on the subject of the artists, there are several artists that came in, Like the powerhouses are definitely Emmy ceciriega Ian Worrel and Joe Pitt, And I know that Jeffrey Thompson worked on the show, and there are a few other artists. But there's a ton of brand new artists. Can you tell us a little bit about how you found those artists.
Speaker 9: I mean, the you know, extraordinary thing about Gravity Falls is enduring legacy is that all these incredible new people are always finding it, and so many amazing artists that I love and respect. Since the series has concluded. You know, they follow me, they're fans, they do fan art, or I just dig their stuff. And so the sort of high profileness of Gravity Falls allowed me to kind of just message anybody whose stuff I thought looked awesome on Instagram or Twitter and just say like, hey, any chance you'd be down, And they were always down. So it really was the sort of this great chance to sort of old artists new artists, people who were fans when the show was airing that are now artists that were inspired by the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So in the description for this podcast, we will have links to the artist master doc which includes links to all of the tweets and Instagram posts that we are going to talk about in this It'll also have a link to the artist page Comparison, which has the listing of the pages in the regular edition and the limited edition Barnes and Noble edition, so that you can figure out like the artists conglomerated on each page. So the premise of the book is that the reader makes a contract with William the Spooky Pyramid himself to gain access to unlimited weirdness and knowledge by feeding the book with their own blood.
Speaker 1: I mean, no one would would actually do that, right, I mean that would be painful and terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yes, well he.
Speaker 3: Did say paper cuts would be awarded to special listeners, so some of it might be unintentional.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's true.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So we're going to get into kind of bit by bit in a second. But I just I love this book.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful, Like.
Speaker 4: I definitely got the vibe Alex.
Speaker 3: You're in your element in this kind of stream of consciousness sort of writing, because it's constantly shifting genres and sometimes it's historical trivia and sometimes it's weird parodies and every page looks different from the last, but it's all one cohesive narrative.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, we'll get into it later, but I think I was really struck by, particularly the strength of character, even in something as chaotic as this.
Speaker 4: I love this book.
Speaker 3: I like I was going in as someone who was a YouTuber when Billzeipher was popular, doing Billzeipher voices, just getting annoyed with my child audience, thinking I was a real demon, and I was like going in like, ah, this book's not going to win me over, and it's just I love it so much. I reread it right before the recording, and there were lines that I had forgotten about that made me like laugh out loud. And I was reading this on the beach of the Black Sea, and there was a couple of Russians partying a few feet for me, and that kept like staring at me when I was laughing alone with a book.
Speaker 1: That is one of the side effects of the book Avilion.
Speaker 3: You know, it begins with Ford telling us, hey, don't read this book. He's a bit of a grover here, isn't it there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is a monster at the Yeah.
Speaker 3: A monster in this book. Yes, And so then there's a page to write your name like the Golden books would have at the beginning. But it's creepy. And then uh, Bill laughs for I think three four straight pages.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's two full spreads, yes, including a very creepy like It reminds me of that gift of SpongeBob bursting through the wall of the Krusty Krab where it's cg until he.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because each page it progresses with him bursting through the paper of the book.
Speaker 1: Credibly unsettling.
Speaker 2: And this particular image was done by Ian Worrel, of course it was, of course it was.
Speaker 3: He's a Swiss army knife and Ron Swanson and won He's made out of Swiss army knives and he could do anything.
Speaker 2: So he posted this on August fourteenth, twenty twenty four, and it says more work from the hashtag Book of Bill, hashtag blender saving me from painting folds. Character assists from my bud at pitt Win, which is Joe pitt And the post includes several three D models of Bill in motion, and it also includes the slot machine, stand pick and the therapy pick from later in the book.
Speaker 1: So then sort of the plot of the book really takes off with Bill directly engaging with you where you are a character in this book. The book is constantly at interplay with you, the reader, kind of like Journal three, but definitely goes further.
Speaker 2: I mean like Journal three and the NonStop Fun Book. It's kind of like a mix of those but dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah, also true and Alex was that always a goal to sort of make it an active conversation with the reader and sort of with the fans.
Speaker 9: By extension, Bill does not have the attention span to write a book. I don't think he could sustain the third person for very long. He would constantly be breaking and arguing with you and with himself. I mean, I think that is something I learned very quickly when I started writing. Bill is most interesting when he's in a dialogue with somebody, when there's somebody to push back against him and Ruffly's feathers and make him sort of contradict himself and telling himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So I want to go over this page.
Speaker 3: It's like a mock of the copyright page at the beginning of a book, and it says published by Bill Cipher Press and imprint of Bill Ceipher Books. No part or form of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, or by any information storage and retrieval system unless you really want to you can. Who cares, right, It's just a book. Have fun with it, knock.
Speaker 4: Yourself out, nothing matters.
Speaker 3: We're all gonna die anyway. Go on copy this book. I dare you. There's obviously a lot of not TV y seven stuff in here.
Speaker 4: And I know that was, you know, your.
Speaker 3: Initial pitch for the book. But the one that drove me the absolute craziest was the permission to commit piracy in the copyright page, I'm like, I can't imagine a universe of a version of Disney that okayed that.
Speaker 9: I mean, the thing is, originally it was a lot worse than that. It was. At the bottom of it, he said.
Speaker 7: For more good advice, take all the bottles of chemicals under your sync, put them into a jug down.
Speaker 3: The hatch, enjoy.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 9: And They're like, maybe we should't encourage the readers to literally drink poison. I was like, you know what, Disney, You're right, You're right.
Speaker 1: The piracy part seemed acceptable by comparison.
Speaker 9: I mean for the part for the truth is. I'm like, I'm never really trying to get away with anything. I'm just trying. I'm just trying to be Bill, and like whatever Bill says, I write down, and then yeah, we see what they have a problem with.
Speaker 2: You're just living the truth. You're living Bill's truth.
Speaker 9: There's a few situations where I very much, you know, would write something and then just not even send it to Disney because I'm like, oh, this is too insane, because like, you know, if it really was Bill, he would just the entire book be telling people explicitly how to commit acts of stochastic terrorism. Like it would be a full on instruction to incite a riot. So you know, you have to find a version of Bill that is true to the voice of the show, but also isn't getting me liable for lawsuits everywhere.
Speaker 1: So on that page, also at the bottom, there is the sentence for more Bill Cipher press fun. This is not a website dot com, dot com.
Speaker 3: So the Book of Bill, obviously a lot of work went into it.
Speaker 4: This is not a website dot com.
Speaker 3: Seems like there's an equal amount of work put into it. And I can't imagine producing those simultaneously.
Speaker 4: Like what was that?
Speaker 9: Like I realized while I was writing the book, Oh no, oh crap. Bill and his energy and his vibe do not lend themselves best to a book, nor do they lend themselves best to a TV show. They lend themselves best to some kind of interactive medium like an escape room or a mio wolf or a video game or a magic show. And a book can't do that. And a lot of the things that I wanted to do, you know, I was like, I want to create a weird song. I want to have something that is you know that you can click on an interact with mult was impossible. So I started creating all these parts of the book that then I was like, this doesn't work as a book. And so I had all this kind of like additional ideas and stuff that I didn't know what to do with. And then I was like, oh, oh, okay. You know. I did the schmebe Unlocked website for Lost Legends, and I was like, what's the bill version of that. I was like, oh, it would be infinitely more. And I've never made like a point and click adventure or whatever before, but I just like, I have to entertain myself, you know, you got to follow the weird impulse where it goes. And it's the most I honestly, it's the most one I've had since the Cipher Hunt putting that together, and I was so thrilled watching fantastic experience it and going on TikTok and seeing people you know, live typing stuff in and arguing with each other and so much fun. Yeah, professional goblin, man, that's the way to go.
Speaker 2: And I know that the screen was it's a Lip Camarello design, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, Lip crushed it, man, And thank goodness, because that was a favor. I was like, Lip, can you can you please help me out with this, because if you don't, it's just gonna be my drawing sharpie on paper. And he's like, I got your brother. I was like, we got three days to get this thing done.
Speaker 3: Man, let's move And it is wonderful. It has tunes, games, characters, downloads, email. Thank you.
Speaker 9: Actually, I will admit that I reached out to Matt Chatman when I was working on the website and said, do you have any suggestions, And it was his idea to have entering Giffanny corrupt your computer and download files.
Speaker 3: Is your pomp Pom in there?
Speaker 9: I wish? I wish there was a pompom in there.
Speaker 3: Oh, I heard that there's a bubbling sound. That's like that was just a bubble. Bubbling sounds can only sound like bubbles.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 9: I do believe the nicker Man is in there somewhere if you look hard enough. Really, No, that wouldn't that be amazing?
Speaker 3: You're lying to the Alex would you do that?
Speaker 4: Just tell a fandom lies?
Speaker 3: But I think for the most part, we want to save discussion of the this is not a website website for another podcast. Maybe put a hidden link to it in this podcast, like a secret.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if it's a secret, then why are we telling them.
Speaker 1: That's that's true? Yeah, yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 3: Go back, I'll say that again. Okay, codes, there are no codes in this podcast one?
Speaker 1: Why would you even think of that there were?
Speaker 3: Don't look at the podcast thumbnail too closely, though, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, admire the beautiful artwork, of course, yes, but you know, no further than that.
Speaker 3: You'll strain your eyes, you know, And if you strain your eyes you'll have to call the eyeball doc.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and no one really knows what that guy's name is. Who can even remember?
Speaker 3: After this is great? There's a parody covers of a bunch of different genres of books.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, so the book covers were done by Emmy, Joe and Ian. I know for sure that Emmy's book covers were the Spookums.
Speaker 3: Spook Spook Them Ups, the.
Speaker 2: Spook Them Ups, and the Love Triangle.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Gee, I couldn't have I couldn't tell who did the Love Triangle one? Wow, that was really.
Speaker 3: A signature on that art would be redundant. But she did her own series of Disney parody comics, including one where Grandmother Willow starts climbing out.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh my gosh, yes, I forgot about that one.
Speaker 3: It's fine, it's fine, it's fine.
Speaker 2: In her tweet on August twentieth, she revealed that those are the two that she did.
Speaker 1: I also love on the next page, the photoshop parody toolbars.
Speaker 3: Yes, do you want to read us the toolbar there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So our options include free, trans form, scale, rotate, skew, torture physically, torture, mentally, removing testines, stab vertically, stab, horizontally, chop into pieces, put in garbage bag, wash hands. Put garbage bag in river. The river is quiet, The river keeps its secrets. No one will know. Rotate one to eighty, rotate eighteen thousand, rotate until time reverses to a backflip way.
Speaker 2: So there's a portal in the top and a portal down at the bottom.
Speaker 1: Oh there is okay, Yes, yes, that is portal. Okay.
Speaker 9: I did a lot of drawing and editing on this book. I taught myself in design. There's a lot of work to do, and so I taught myself how to do a number of things together.
Speaker 1: Seeing you in design and form that parody photoshop tool bar, Yes, one hundred, very alive.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, I made that. I made all those those icons for the for the fake photog.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're so good. I personally really like the rat, but that's very odd brand for me.
Speaker 3: Here's one of the instances where you have to give your blood to Bill.
Speaker 1: He's always asking for eighties, like, always soliciting those donations.
Speaker 3: If you for just for just a quart of blood.
Speaker 1: To day, democracy is at stake.
Speaker 2: We need your book, all right. So the next part is the sort of like the anatomy of a book, which is probably one of my favorite pictures in this segment where.
Speaker 3: The spine contains a literal spine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the capture the captua I am not Dipper Pines.
Speaker 1: I love that he specifically like hates Dipper like probably more than anyone in the Pines family.
Speaker 2: I think Stanley probably takes the cake.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he would, he would, he would take he would take forty.
Speaker 1: Kiss as many as four tens.
Speaker 9: That's terrible.
Speaker 1: I'm also thinking about in the Reddit ama that Bill did responding to a user called not Dipper Pines. He just encourages him to rub alifanio peppers into his eyes.
Speaker 3: I'm obsessed with the shirt on the next page, that says I'm a little different.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna be wearing that shirt on Sunday.
Speaker 4: You made that shirt?
Speaker 2: No, my friend made it for me.
Speaker 1: That's a yes. Then we get into this like Gossip Magazine.
Speaker 4: The Bill size side for show.
Speaker 1: But he's on like this parody Ellen set.
Speaker 2: Like yes, and I like the the how do you wear pants? The toxic Gossip train?
Speaker 1: No, the toxic gossip train reference is insane to me.
Speaker 9: I mean, I just you know, I think there was a because that section was an interview, right, It's like, yeah, what would you say to Bill if he was alive? You know, do you have any regrets? You know, was weird to get a mistake? And you know, the idea of at first it was, you know, Bill being like, you're lucky it happened. It's the most interesting thing that happened to your dimensions, Like no, no, no, no, no, what is the funnier thing? A funny thing is for the celebrity to be like I already addressed that in my apology. Yeah, and to be like the most like rinky dank stupid video like with the xylophone, humanly possible. Yeah, I was not expecting that particular gag to pop off as much as it did, and people were losing their minds over it.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it happened in real life. There really was an apology video song.
Speaker 9: I mean it's sort of a trope now, the celebrity apology video I did write. I wrote a couple of different Bill interviews, and like that section was the one that I ended up putting in the book, But I wrote one that was like I thought I nailed it. It was like a parody of like a sort of GQ interview with like a kind of cool older celebrity, like a, oh, we sat down with George Clooney and his Brownstone to discuss his new brand of mescal and also does he think he made any missteps in his career? You know, describing like, oh, you know Bill Sipher in person is every every but the triangle demon, you thing, but he's got a few tricks up his sleeve. Would you do anything differently?
Speaker 7: And it's oh, yes, of course, you know that was you know, I was in my early twenty billions when I did that.
Speaker 9: You know, I've broken laugh And it was like describing him having like two little Pomeranians and like a pickleball Court, and it was like everything about it was like completely off cannon and insane, and it was like I thought it would be really funny to include something that was so incorrect, but then I read it in context, I was like, this is gonna make people furious, like suggesting that like like Bill is living in some apartment in New York, like for the gag.
Speaker 1: Right, that's his dream retire. Then we start to get some live action photo incorporation on the the Icy All page done by Ian Worrell.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's a lot of that. I think even in the series proper, there's a few moments of live action footage associated with Bill as this like unsettling. Uh, when you're doing animation or you know, just two D characters, like live action footage is gonna be either hilarious or horrifying, Like SpongeBob is a great example of like live action footage for comedy, but then they also use it for horror at some points, like with Wormy.
Speaker 2: I mean, like I think they did it on Flapjack a few times too, and for sure on Gumball, and it's unsettling every time.
Speaker 1: But I mean I want to I do want to mention Cherna Bill.
Speaker 3: Yes, so there is a reference to Fantasia Night on Bald Mountain.
Speaker 2: This is a Joe Pitt illustration, And he said on August twenty seven, four layout illustration for Alex Hirsch at Disney Books. Hashtag Book of Bill. We weren't allowed to use direct in a bog reference. Swipe right to see the original hashtag gravity falls, hashtag Bill Siper, hashtag Fantasia, hashtag churnabog. And the original image that they were going to use was a yellow version with spirits instead of the symbols.
Speaker 1: I mean, it could have fooled me, not that I'm always watching Fantasia, but I assumed it was, you know, an edit of.
Speaker 4: I Try to spend my nights off Bald Mountain personally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. There's a page where Bill is starting to talk about his weaknesses and then he kind of like Emperor's New Groove style, pushes the paija yeah and interrupts himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Bill, getting self conscious that you're reading about his weaknesses, decides that the Book of Bill is canceled and you're reading Great Gatsby instead. And we had talked before about in Boss Mabel, when Stan is in his Hawaiian shirt. It is absurdly specifically the exact outfit that is seen in My Breakfast with Blass, the film by Andy Kauffman.
Speaker 9: That's fine, So it's.
Speaker 3: Worth pointing out that during Andy Kaufman's shows, when he felt the audience was not responding well to them, he would start reading Great Gatsby to them instead. Once they were clearly bored of it, go do you want me to keep reading? Or would you want me to just put on a record for you guys? Instead, they would say put on a rocker because they just wanted him to stop, and then he's record would just be a record of him reading Great gats We started get the exact sentence he stopped on. But I obviously want to ask about your fandom of Andy Kaufman, because it's something no one ever has asked you about to the best of my knowledge.
Speaker 9: I mean, Andy Coffin's like, you know, he's the original Bill Cipher Man. I mean, like getting a laugh was not nearly as important to him as doing something that you're not supposed to do to see people furious and leave, you know. I mean it's sort of like Norm McDonald's roast of Bob Saggett, where he tells jokes that are intentionally unfunny to see how long he can make other comedians endure jokes that aren't funny because like they're saying the most offensive things they could say, and they're all laughing, and then it starts being like, you know, ladies and gentlemen, he's got the eyes of an eagle. This man's for the birds, and like it's like not a joke, and you feel everyone's summing. So of course you love Neil Hamburger. Oh yes, of course, Oh my god, no, Neil Hamburger. I remember seeing him. Some of his jokes live. I can't even say them. They're so offensive, but they're like anti comedy, they're you know, I mean the first time I saw Neil Hamburger live, he came out and he coughed and cleared his throat for like five whole minutes.
Speaker 1: Excuse me.
Speaker 9: One more moment, my apologies. I was like, this is so funny. So, I mean, like, Bill has that spirit of anarchy, and I was like that was another one of the first gags that came up with was like, oh, Bill should briefly decide to make this a different book. You know, I wish, I wish that the book was an edition fifty pages, so that fifty pages of the book could have been Yeah.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: It is an absurd amount of Gatsby, because like you turn the page and you're like, oh, great Matsky on one page, Great Gatsby on the other. Well, I'm gonna turn the page and I won't be looking at great Gatsby anymore. Then there's two more pages.
Speaker 9: I wish I could have done more, honestly, but you know, you only get so.
Speaker 3: Many pages of the There's an interesting observation I had about the selection because you start with chapter two instead of chapter one. The very beginning of chapter two is a description of the all seeing eyes that watch over the impoverished neighborhood.
Speaker 9: Yes, all seeing eyes, an optometrist, a valley of ashes, yes, one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: So obviously Bill is trying to make the comparison of himself with tj Eckelberg. But you continually kept linking people the rest of the book.
Speaker 4: Throughout this process.
Speaker 3: So I have to ask Bill chose a chapter that the title character is not in.
Speaker 4: Was that omission because.
Speaker 3: He did not want to invite comparisons is Bill Gatsby.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we were talking about it and I kind of was like, well, you know, hedonism and not admitting your faults, you know.
Speaker 9: Let me put it this way. People say that, like all art is in some degree autobiographical, and oftentimes an artists will create a work that they don't even recognize that the themes in parallels to their own life until years and years later they look back and they say, oh my god, that movie was actually about I thought I thought it was about anome. It's actually about my divorce or whatever.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, So imagine if you will, that you were Bill Cipher and you had magic powers. I imagine projecting a book for a reader, and then you briefly got paranoid that the reader was turning against you, and you're like you, I'm gonna replace this with the Great Gatsby, eat it, and then poof, you just flung your hand, you pointed the book and it turned to Great Gatsby. And the same way with an an artist might not be cognizant of the autobiographical telling on yourself themes inside the art they create. I think a demon constantly conjuring things might not even be consciously aware of which pages he's conjuring they just right in the moment. Bill, in his constant sort of creating things on the fly, parallels maybe something that we pick apart or notice, but he's not as in control of it as he would like you to believe. And so I think there's lots of moments where Bill is sort of comparing or telling on himself, or verbalizing a subconscious thought without even noticing that's what he's doing.
Speaker 3: And was that you unintentionally driving that parallel or Bill?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 9: I mean like I chose those pages specifically, but I'm not sure Bill, did you know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we have Ford coming back interjecting, being like, oh you didn't you turned me page, but then admits that even though he told you there's no circumstances where you should be reading this, he is reading this as well, kind of him falling back into his old patterns, like a relapse story from Ford's part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think what's also important to mention is that chronologically these Ford pages are taking place still sort of in the wrap up in the denumat of season two of Gravity Falls.
Speaker 3: Why did they call it that? D?
Speaker 1: Mal Shall, Yeah, well, sort of taking place concurrently with don't dimention it the comic from Lost Legends, and just sort of the general wrap up of fixing the last bits of Weird Mageddon. Dipper and Mabel are preparing to go home to celebrate their birthday and.
Speaker 3: The cutaway in Weird mcgeddon Part three slash Part four where Stanley's mind is being recovered for a week, and that both of those things, both of those events, the recovery of Stanley's mind, and and.
Speaker 1: Ford also planning this trip that he's going to take with his brother.
Speaker 3: He mentions, yes, so it all kind of places. It's not really a sequel to Gravity Falls. It's I was talking to a friend about this who said, there's a there's a time skip in Dragon Ball Z and they every time there needs to be a new story, it takes place in that time skip.
Speaker 4: And it's kind of just.
Speaker 3: Funny to imagine that over the course of a week, the Pines family has to deal with Weird Mageddon, then Mabel gets trapped in another dimension of Mabels, then the Book of Bill shows up, and then the their birthday party where they have to go away and say goodbye to everyone.
Speaker 1: It's kind of out every New Star Wars thing is like, and it takes place between episodes three and four.
Speaker 3: Okay, you gotta do gravity falls machety order here, yes, exactly. Pause when they start reading the scrap book to Grugglestad. Then you have to read both Don't Dimension It and the Book of Bill.
Speaker 1: Well, it's relevant to place it chronologically. The idea that he's relapsing, right, that this is all so fresh for him.
Speaker 3: Yes, but also it's a little funny to think about that time skip kind of feeling of that episode, Like then they just focused on recovering Stan's mind for a week. Nothing to talk about there. Well, okay, there was a dimensional Okay, Bill return.
Speaker 1: But as we will see later though, this book clearly was not a big deal to anyone except for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So then we come to this sequence of pages called the One True intel Leigence Test, which is this like standardized test told by Bill. So all the questions are trick questions basically, But what I'm really interested in is the disclaimer at the top where it sort of does the like, you have ten minutes to complete the quiz, use number thirty seven, pencil only, et cetera. Toward the end it kind of devolves into this rant. Well, yeah, I could. I'll read the whole thing. If stuck on a question, you may feel an overwhelming sense that you're falling behind, that all the other students are smarter than you, and that your life is over before it's even begun. You may conclude that the universe is fundamentally unfair and designed only for your suffering. Lean into this feeling, Let it fester and grow until you're glowing with incandescent theory, a flame with an unquenchable yearning for vengeance. They thought they were smarter than you, Well, you'll show them, You'll show them all. And I know that Dippers and Mabel's Guide to Mystery NonStop fund was written by Robert Eddie and Chane Houghton, but it really brought to mind the fine print on the certificate of like certified Mystery Solver that Dipper makes for you. There's moments where Dipper says, other people will realize they should have been nicer to us, and it gets vaguely megalomaniacal, And I just think that's a fascinating like parallel between Bill and Dipper. And similarly, as well as on the morality page, there's oh, We're never wrong, right, and then all the other Bills are like, yeah, you're right, Bill, which is brought to my mind the last Mapelcorn with Dipper kind of being like, I'm really good at rationalizing in his own thoughts, being like, yeah, yeah, you are, not necessarily whether it was intentional, but just sort of to get your take on like the Pines family members obviously Ford, but you know other Pines family members having shades of Bill in themselves, and Bill like reflecting the darker aspects or letting their flaws kind of guide them.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, all these characters are sort of like a prismatic splitting of the aspects of my psyche. As a writer, that's sort of what you do is you sort of split your brain into different voices than you have the margue with each other, and Bill is the voice whispering in your head to grab whatever makes you feel good, and you know, damn the consequences of damn other people around you. So you know, whenever a character is being impatient or ego maniacal, they are sort of closer to Bill. There's never really a conscious attempt to make any of these characters like directly a parallel to Bill, so to speak, but sort of it's all coming from the same soup of my brain. So these things are gonna sort of it's like poetry.
Speaker 4: They rhyme, every stands us there. Bill is the key to all of this.
Speaker 3: Bill, and I also want to say to anyone listening who is a student presently and might be struggling with similar thoughts to the ones that Bill stated at the beginning of this test. I am thirty one. I last attended a school when I was eighteen. That is, Ella, do some math for me.
Speaker 1: No, I haven't been to school in a long time either.
Speaker 3: Well, so that's exactly it, though is I used to get so so upset, cry when I got bad or when I couldn't figure out a specific course or class, and all these years later, over a decade later, Oh wait, I got it, thirteen years later. I have no idea which classes I.
Speaker 1: Did well, yeah or poorly.
Speaker 3: I don't think about those things. They don't come up in your life. And school is if you don't attend. College is something you do from age five to age eighteen, and as an eighteen year old, that's a large percentage of your life and possibly all of your life that you hold memories for and it feels like the world is going to be like this forever, and I just want to let our listeners know it's not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, about the pages, I will say that one interesting difference between the limited edition and the regular edition is the regular edition has a coffee stain at the top of the page, and the limited edition does not.
Speaker 1: Well, the coffee stains. I'm sure they're just illustrations, right, they don't.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm sure they're just illustrations.
Speaker 1: There's that mouse again.
Speaker 2: But it's definitely interesting to note that that is there in one edition and not the other. And then Emmy also said that the little image that she has the devious illustration, she was told that she had to do a simpler version because her original image was deemed too hard to look at.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that it's just it's just a mash up of every optical illusion.
Speaker 2: It's truly beautiful.
Speaker 1: I also am a big fan of the surface area of Sous drawing, where he's just like, hold on, I got here, and I was genuinely curious what the surface area of SEUs is. I don't think we ever found that out forty.
Speaker 3: Two Oh, that's what the question.
Speaker 1: Was Oh, that marks much more sense.
Speaker 3: I understand that book.
Speaker 1: Now that's a deep thought though too.
Speaker 3: Slarty bart fast.
Speaker 2: But as you will learn, if you actually did any work trying to find the surface area of SEUs, you failed the tests because the answer key is right over here. And if you did no work, you passed.
Speaker 1: That's right. So Bill does then confirm two things and go into more detail, which is that reality is indeed an illusion, and the universe is indeed a hologram. Specifically, it's a hologram like Pokemon.
Speaker 4: Card, a holographic Pokemon card.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not the same word as holograund no, but it's not. And it almost seems like you don't really know what a hologram is. But you know what a holographic Pokemon card.
Speaker 1: I mean, Alex, I know you're obviously a big Pokemon fans.
Speaker 4: You just pronounce it Pokemon.
Speaker 2: Look whose work is the hologram card?
Speaker 9: The little illustration on the card of like Bill inside a sort of roiling, massive black tendrils and sort of chaos blobs. That illustration inside is Ian and then the rest of the card I make, oh cools.
Speaker 3: So much like a Pokemon card.
Speaker 9: Oh, thank you I did a lot of drawing and editing on this book, and.
Speaker 1: Then we get into this this all very edgy, like you know, hot topic, like your body's just disgusting, You're just a meat puppet like And I love that we're obviously seeing it from Bill's perspective right now, where he's the only one talking, so it's kind.
Speaker 2: Of although I will say I love the bones filled with tinier bones.
Speaker 1: Yes, and the colors that you can't see, including ultra violet, extra turquoise, megagenta, insaniteal, hyper beige, and brown two Brown two.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you, guys, I can see it insaniteal, I actually can't.
Speaker 1: I mean, I can't see the normal colors.
Speaker 2: So no, can you see brown too?
Speaker 3: Though only exclusively?
Speaker 2: Exclusively brown too.
Speaker 3: Ella's never seen brown.
Speaker 2: You've never seen brown one, only Brown two.
Speaker 1: Do I need to see brown one for context before I see brown two?
Speaker 3: Where?
Speaker 2: And this juicy eye down here was made by Emmy Cisariega.
Speaker 4: I hate that picture.
Speaker 1: There's a form ranking with silhouettes going from a shrimp all the way down to Toby determined, and I, on the one hand, you could say that Bill is ranking humans in general, as worse. But I think he's putting specifically Toby determined down there.
Speaker 3: Well, we learn later Toby determines probably from the mirror dimension, at least in Bill's opinion.
Speaker 2: Good for him.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Bodacious Tea, Bodacious Ta. Sorry, yeah, I mean.
Speaker 2: Like when we see Bodacious Tea at his youngest, he is in front of mirrors dancing, So that makes sense.
Speaker 1: That's very true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tap dance his way into our dimension. That's how he got here.
Speaker 3: I also love directly. Middle on this list is the Dodo when extinct, for being the most average life form. Yes, not either be better or worse than this to survive. And then we also learn that the ultimate stage of wrinkliness is known as.
Speaker 1: Larry Yes, when your skin reaches peak wrinkle, with just.
Speaker 3: An actual photo of Larry kinget here labeled it is inevitable.
Speaker 1: Yes. This page also has the fine print that says help. This is not Bill Sleipher. My name is Grebley hemberdrak of Zimtrex five. I'm one of thousands of beings Bill is devoured over trillions of years, whose souls are now trapped inside him. You have to free me. It's horrible in here he just keeps playing the song good Vibrations by Marky Mark on an endless loop. Please please, this is not a joke. The Semtrexians. Oran's a proud and mighty people. But now our spirit's long for release from this yellow prison. If there are any gods not yet dead by Cipher's wicked hand, here are prayers you can't imagine. And then it cuts off.
Speaker 3: Is that on a special edition because mine cuts off on release from this?
Speaker 2: No, it's in both editions.
Speaker 1: Like that last line. I'm only I'm only reading the top half of that line under sort of action, both.
Speaker 3: Editions, but I only I only see the top half of but now our spirits long for release from this and nothing below that in my own okay regular.
Speaker 2: Edition, Yeah, No, it's you can see like the ghost of Yellow Prison and onwards.
Speaker 3: I cannot in the original edition. In your original edition, surely, yes.
Speaker 1: In my original edition, I think it's just a it's just a printing.
Speaker 2: I think it's just a printing error.
Speaker 3: It's interesting, though.
Speaker 2: In my regular edition it's you can still see it down at the bottom, but it's less than is in my original edition.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in my original edition you could see the Ghost of the Zimtrexians were once a proud and mighty people, but now our spirits long for release from this.
Speaker 1: I think most of the time, when you when you're making a book image, there's like a safe zone where you want all your text to be in. And I imagine they just went all the way to the bleed edge for that one, just because it didn't, yeah matter where that it was cut.
Speaker 2: Off, because it's a joke. It's all a joke.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And Emmy Csirigo made these tattoos right.
Speaker 2: This page is attributed to Emmy, Joe and Ian, but Emmy Cesaraega on August twentieth did like put out her little drawings of a couple of ones that were cut, which does include like booty Bill and Realistic feet Bill, which are my two personal favorites of this Those are the ones you're gonna get well.
Speaker 3: That is linked in the dock in the description. If you want to see what booty Bill and Realistic feet Bill.
Speaker 1: Mean, yes, I don't, you might get put on a list.
Speaker 2: And then she said these were cut from the tattoo page. Someone was looking out for you.
Speaker 1: I think my favorite is probably the one that did end up in the book, which was surfing Bill because he just looks so uncharacteristically chill.
Speaker 4: That's Chill Cipher, you might be confused.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, that is that's Chill Cipher. Yeah, he's hanging one hundred and eighty degrees.
Speaker 3: There's another Night of the Hunter reference were tattoos on the knuckles.
Speaker 1: So then we come to a spread where Bill Cipher is talking about love, you know, above anything else that they get away with saying in this book. What really shocked me the most is reading Bill Cipher say the word polycule. That's not something I ever expected to lay eyes on.
Speaker 3: In response to the word me thinks, which, like, I remember I worked at a New York Renaissance fair, and I know you have to come out as monogamous at the New York Renaissance Fair.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that makes perfect sense.
Speaker 3: How did Bill know about this connection that that was.
Speaker 1: Must explained to my children that you only desire one partner?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, no, I had a friend who is like a boy was trying to hook up with her and she was super into it.
Speaker 4: And then at one point he mentions his girlfriend.
Speaker 3: And she's like, excuse me, did you not think that was worth mentioning up until now, and he was like no. She's like, well, I'm not okay with that, and he's like, huh.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well didn't you think you should have mentioned.
Speaker 2: That up front?
Speaker 3: That sounds more like a you thing and Bill knows somehow. That's the one time it's felt like Bill's like getting in my noggin. Usually he doesn't do me too good. Yeah, this is the second instance of Bill big avoidant at his own questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, giving himself interview.
Speaker 3: An interview that he doesn't want to do.
Speaker 9: It's just sort of a necessity for Bill to be bouncing off of some voice. And he's got a lot of voices in his head.
Speaker 1: I mean, he craves attention, you know, even if that's around himself.
Speaker 3: He absorbed a lot of people as well.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and he has consumed a lot of souls. So I think even Bill couldn't tell you exactly who all the voices are that he's arguing with a at a given moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I love Princess Romance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure that that's the movie where the guy is like, whatever you want and that means I love you.
Speaker 3: Well, so the title sounds like Princess Bride. But it looks like a Disney nineties VHS.
Speaker 2: It looks like The Little Mermaid. It looks like Ariel and Eric.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and as well as the end of Beauty and the Beast. And it says inkwell on.
Speaker 4: Top, which is that's true?
Speaker 3: Shadowing is a literary device, it is.
Speaker 1: So this definitely is an animated movie.
Speaker 3: How are things animated in gravity falls the world? How do you tell the difference?
Speaker 2: And they're just realistic human features. So like this heart down here at the bottom, that's an animated heart, not a realistic human right, Like.
Speaker 1: Stan would look at that and it's obviously fake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously, yeah, I generated that's.
Speaker 1: Not even an outline.
Speaker 3: I love boy Kissing Mix.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 3: What would be on your boy Kissing Mix? Right in, mister Shag lookback at gmail dot com please.
Speaker 1: Oh and also, the vampire romance novel The Taste of You is written by one K Visionaire.
Speaker 3: Isn't that a stage name?
Speaker 1: Nick Hofferman? Yeah, N wrote this. The audiobook is great. He took me in his cold, pale arms.
Speaker 3: I think you should get Meghan to do it. You should get his wife to do it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, you have Megan Malali reading k Visionaire.
Speaker 3: Will you turn me immortal like you?
Speaker 2: And then continuing the love on the next page.
Speaker 3: I love that at the next page is titled how to trick everyone to love you.
Speaker 2: Tell her you want to eat her hair.
Speaker 1: I think the sculpture of a person made of teeth is the worst image in this book.
Speaker 3: No, I just pretend there are chicklets.
Speaker 1: M okay, okay.
Speaker 2: I know that this page is Emmy and Ian, and it does have that very Emmy cursed flare to a lot of it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Emmy is good at the Both of the Csirigas are good at drawing things that you somehow think they don't realize our cursed Yes, like they're able to put in this energy of like I've made this normal drawing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Oh yeah. And I think that that Bill in the pocket that is a very Emmy image too.
Speaker 3: I'm the next page here he compares giving out Valentines like a cat leaving a dead mouse.
Speaker 4: Yes, and then says, just leave real dead mice.
Speaker 3: And that is referenced again later because apparently Bill has tried that before.
Speaker 2: Are we talking about the Valentines? Yeah, so all the Valentines are done by Joe Pitt and I know that we've seen these before because you, Alex, have published this on your Twitter a couple of times on Valentine's Day? Were the Valentin's some that you included because they were already made by Joe Pitt? Or is it something that you made with the idea that it might end up in another Gravity Falls property?
Speaker 9: Oh well, so the Valentine's cards were made for the Book of Bill. They were just part of the romance section, and then you know, we announced the book, and then I just wanted to have, you know, one or two little tweets that were sort of Bill forward to kind of keep people vaguely alert that it existed before it came out. So that I was looking for. I was just like, Oh, what's a random image from the book that I can use that doesn't really spoiler anything or telling anybody about the shape of it. So I decided to use a page as a promo. You know. That's another thing where I was like, Disney, can we please, you know, can we print this on card stock that can be removed. I wanted to have like a fold out, like a centerfold image. There's so many things I wanted to do.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: I love a good chant words together.
Speaker 1: Word. Yeah, that's true. Ready, everybody, because this page is how will you dud?
Speaker 2: This page is done by Ian worrel A three D and blender awesome. I love the plaid tweet coat that he's wearing. It's so good.
Speaker 3: So Bill has you select a number from one to twenty three, and that number correlates to how you will.
Speaker 1: Die, and the wheel is marked by various symbols, including just a gun, straight up, a regular gun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you picked number four, Wow, we didn't realize you were a fan of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because apparently there's only one person in history who has picked number four, because the number four will say that you were shockingly assassinated while simply trying to ride in your motorcade through Dallas with the roof down in the year nineteen sixty three.
Speaker 4: I hate when that happens.
Speaker 1: Well, good thing, it's only happened the one.
Speaker 3: I'm just assuming he's listening, so I'm trying to be relatable to him, that's fair. I hate when that happens.
Speaker 1: I hate when my head pops off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and my other favorite one here is oops at the sugary cereal factory, you will accidentally pull the lever that releases all berries. Your final words as your crush to death will be this is very painful.
Speaker 4: I love a good oops all berries joke.
Speaker 1: I picked the one that trapped me inside of a glass box at a construction site, and everyone thought I was a mime as I ran out of oxygen. But I did make two seventy five in chips.
Speaker 3: So the next pitch, the next, the next pitches has a mouth that's drooling blood.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 4: Just a funny show with silly jokes for kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the terrifying mouth is lip camarilla.
Speaker 3: He puts the lip in lip camorilla.
Speaker 1: Yeah. This is kind of Bill talking about the afterlife and how to cheat death and sort of dancing around answering the question of how he's able to communicate with us.
Speaker 3: Here's also a reference to the Michael Keaton film Jack Frost.
Speaker 1: That's also Oh my gosh, get your it's so good, the body of a snowman and still have to pay child support.
Speaker 2: I always love a good reference to that movie. And then the beautiful zomb Bill that is like taking over the entire page. That's Joe Pitt and he published a full digital version of that on Instagram on the seventeenth of August.
Speaker 1: I do like the snazzy jacket that Bill gets as a zombie.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's a nice jacket.
Speaker 4: Did he steal that from mister Watts's face?
Speaker 1: Could have?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good question.
Speaker 1: I also love the vulture stealing the eye, as though, like Bill fancies himself a Prometheus type.
Speaker 3: I also love the transition into the next page, where it says Heaven is a real place because with infinite worlds, there are infinite possibilities, and there is a paradise tailor to your whims and he will explain how to get there, but the ink will be invisible if you've ever had a perverted thought. And then you turn the page and for me, I don't know, very very full page, you know, right, guys, Wow, so much to read here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's a lot of I mean that probably was the most expensive page to print with all the stuff.
Speaker 3: That we see on there. Shelby, do you have notes on the art?
Speaker 2: The art are so The art on both of these two pages are done by Joe Pitt. So and Joe Pitt did not publish a full version of the How to Get into Heaven unfortunately, or the Morality page on but I do know that the credit on both pages is too Joe Pitt.
Speaker 3: Wow, beautiful, wautiful, great job, Joe Pitt.
Speaker 1: It looks I mean the way that the line gorgeous and the colors, the colors.
Speaker 2: I know that normally Ian does a lot of the coloring for for Joe, but I think Joe did the coloring on this one.
Speaker 1: I'm saying the coloring and.
Speaker 3: The coloring and this picture that's here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's honestly, it's transcending. Its absolutely gorgeous.
Speaker 3: Transcend it. We shouldn't even you should see it for yourself.
Speaker 2: You have to see it for yourself to really experience it. And then, I know we talked about the Morality page a little bit earlier. You referenced it when you were talking.
Speaker 1: In terms of the character. Yeah. Yeah, but I also love the illustration of Bill throwing a paper airplane into his own eye.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, He finds a text that says morality, decides it's better as a paper airplane, throws it, and then later saying he doesn't believe what goes around can really come around. He gets interrupted by being hit in the eye with the paper airplane that he made of morality.
Speaker 2: I love that his hat has bones.
Speaker 4: He's had as flesh when Ford shoots through it.
Speaker 1: This is also the part where Bill makes us commit a murder.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the little elf guy down at the bottom was done by Emmy Cesaraega and she tweeted on August twentieth life Form not found.
Speaker 3: That's, of course the late Great Scrimbles the Alf unless you stopped reading here, which case there's spoilers in the rest of the podcast.
Speaker 4: But enjoy your life with scrim You have a book Elf.
Speaker 3: Now this is a lower question that you might not have an answer to about this next page, But it says Dipper and Mabel were the only Dipper and Mabel to make it through the summer. How does that coexist with don't dimension it where we see many many alive Mabels.
Speaker 1: I mean, my interpretation of that would just be that Bill is an unreliable narrator and we'll not admit that there were other timelines where he could have lost He's like, ah, this is the one time that it also.
Speaker 3: Could mean that they didn't necessarily die as much as get sucked into another dimension. And never get out. I guess yeah.
Speaker 2: It's also we only see Mabel, so it could be that only Mabel survived in a lot of timeline.
Speaker 1: That would also make.
Speaker 2: Sense all of their difference died except for Flame Dipper because she specifically mentions wanting to.
Speaker 3: Get back to I think that's actually Dripper, Flamebele and Dripper.
Speaker 1: This is definitely one of the spreads that created the most Who did this one?
Speaker 2: So this is Ian Worrel did the parallel dimensions page, Joe Pitt did the alternate timelines, and that was colored by Ian Warrel.
Speaker 1: This is definitely one of the spreads that created the most discussion, I think in the fandom, where it's just showing all of the timelines from various episodes where they didn't make it out, the darkest of which is probably the Hand of the Rocks, the Mabel one where we see that Mabel still has that kind of aur around her from the Psychic Amulet, while Dipper has the lamb Shears in his back.
Speaker 3: There's also one here where Mabel became a smile dip junkie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I personally love nome Queen Mabel.
Speaker 1: Nome Queen Mabel is very good.
Speaker 4: We have Bipper here, who's still Bipper.
Speaker 2: We have Bipper, and we have Maybell in the court like over behind um, yes, no Mabel.
Speaker 1: There's also one that I don't super recognize, which is on the left in front of Society of the Blind by Dipper. It's like they've been turned to stone or something, but I don't really know exactly. But that's referencing.
Speaker 2: Well. I know that because we have the petrified Dipper, but it's in a different post, so you would think that they would have done the petrified post and that's a different texture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's from the timeline where they tried to give Medusa a makeover.
Speaker 2: Oh, I like it. I like it.
Speaker 1: I mean I don't believe it, though I think Mabel to be successful with it.
Speaker 3: Well, the problem was that she made her too beautiful to look at, so it kind of just kind of went in the opposite direction.
Speaker 2: I like that we have zombie Mabel and zombie Dipper. Like I like that they're in different places so you can't even necessarily tell which one.
Speaker 1: I think it's because there's probably one timeline where one twin sacrificed themselves to the zombies for the other.
Speaker 4: Twin I didn't spend too long looking at this spread.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize that these all correlate, almost all correlate too episodes they avoided in an episode. Yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 2: It's a really nice touch. I love the devious looks on Little Dipper and Little Mabel.
Speaker 3: Well they're little scamps, aren't they.
Speaker 2: They are a little skye.
Speaker 1: So we're definitely gonna want to hear about the artists for these pages because we get into urban legends and the mirror realm.
Speaker 2: So there's only one artist on this page. Actually, it's Trevor Henderson.
Speaker 1: Horrifying job, Trevor Horrify.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so this page and the next page are all Trevor Henderson. And what Trevor said on Instagram on August first was, as a big fan of Alex Hirsch and Gravity Falls, I was delighted to be asked to contribute a bunch of different pieces of art to the newly released book of Bill alongside other incredible artists. It is in stores now and you should absolutely run out and get a copy.
Speaker 3: These are in the style of creepy pasta and SCP.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, the Internet tries to make their own cryptids, and this is usually kind of the style that images of them take.
Speaker 2: Trevor does a lot of sep stuff and a lot of like horrific monsters like that. That's kind of his bag.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he created siren Head right, Yes.
Speaker 2: That is correct, as well as cartoon Cat and.
Speaker 1: Long Scamel Del Torso is great.
Speaker 4: This next page gives me a headache.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's hear it for headaches.
Speaker 2: I read all this without a mirror. It's much easier with than mirror.
Speaker 1: If you're taking a picture of it with your phone and flipping the image, you're not doing it right. You gotta go up to an actual mirror. Kids.
Speaker 2: Yeah, these images are also done by Trevor.
Speaker 1: My favorite reveal on the on the spread is that David Lynch is from the Mirror dimension.
Speaker 3: Which has been a joke on this podcast.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that he is. Yeah, that his his weird turns of phrase. I assume that the joke about not returning calls this is just referencing the fact that he never got back to you about voicing.
Speaker 3: Bill a very persistent agent.
Speaker 2: And then, as we stated earlier, Toby determined you can't prove he's from here, but it tracks.
Speaker 1: So the next couple spreads. I mean, there's really not much to talk about. The Silly Straws page is it's just silly straws.
Speaker 2: Yes, and this page is done by Louis Zong of Louis Song Fame, of Louis Song Fame. Every day, Louise, I literally watch Ratititu to like at least once.
Speaker 1: And also just associate them with a Wee bear Bear since they boarded on that show.
Speaker 2: Yes, I love Schmorby's Guide to the Internet.
Speaker 1: Yes, I hate that, but I accept that as part of the Internet.
Speaker 3: I associate them a lot with the mclaroys. They do a lot of cover art for their stuff, like Carboys.
Speaker 2: A ton of animatic Griffin was the voice of Shwarby, right, Yes, Griffin was Shmorby. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, Louisong I think is directing a Pixar movie. It's coming out in the next few years.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Lily, that's gonna be great.
Speaker 2: I can't wait. I'm so excited. I love Louise's style and like just humor. It's amazing.
Speaker 3: The Silly Stress is specifically the only numbered page because that's what you are asked to turn to if you.
Speaker 1: Don't shake his hand at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I had to use this page specifically to anchor the numbering system to make.
Speaker 3: Sure you had the numbers right correct well.
Speaker 1: And it's also we're about to get into the section we'rey divergent of exclusive Barnes and Noble pages.
Speaker 2: This is the part where the Barnes and Noble limited edition has things that the regular copy does not have.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Was that a Barnes and Noble suggestion to like, we want some exclusive pages or were you like, what if we had these exclusive pages? Or were those pages like you didn't have room for them in a regular allotted space.
Speaker 9: It was one hundred percent of Barnes and Nobles thing that they said, you know, we will in exchange for promoting the hell out of your book, we want a special Barnes and Nobles version to encourage people to do store okay, and we want, you know, they said specifically sixteen pages of additional content.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right.
Speaker 9: I thought, was all right, let's just have some kind of goofy, non essential but fun content that can sort of slot into somewhere in the book to create this exclusive edition. But it's like, yeah, like the thing is it's very fun to surround from the perspective of Bill, and if they had said we need fifty extra pages, that would not have been too difficult.
Speaker 1: I think my favorite of these bonus pages is probably the moral Dilemmas, where it's just.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't have the Barnes and Noble addition, so I had to just quickly read these bonus pages right now before we could discuss them. I read better when I read out loud, and when I was reading more of the lemmas, I literally had to take a break because my cheeks hurt for laughing. A sick Lamborghini.
Speaker 2: Is that a picture of Yuskee reading.
Speaker 3: Sick Clamborghini's Tokyo drifting toward a bunch of people at a cool as Elle street race That will determine he was kick in the streets. You could pull a lever saving the people, but this will end the race. And but Diese will never learn a lesson about family. I love how shy even Diesel.
Speaker 2: See. This is why I was so sad you didn't get to see these like you were like, I didn't read this. I was like, oh no, the only fast and the furious references are here.
Speaker 3: Trolley is going to run you over it anywhere from seconds to ninety years. There's no way to stop it or predict when my cheeks hurt her, and you just take a break.
Speaker 9: For breathing this.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. I think that my favorite illustration in here is probably the Wija board, which I know, Alex you have that as a prize for the New York Comic Con costume contest that's coming up.
Speaker 3: Which will be long over by the time this is released.
Speaker 2: That is true. That is true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you you at home listening might have one of these physically who knows.
Speaker 3: And you will mail it to Mystery Shock.
Speaker 2: Look fuck yes, we will use the later page to help with that.
Speaker 1: Bill describes the spirit board. How to use it is just invite over someone you've been looking for an excuse to touch hands with, which of course that's you know, standard Ouija board procedure. But I remember there's a clip from the Next Time on Gravity Falls stuff from the pilot that iteration of Wendy. There's a clip of her using one of these with Dipper and then Dipper kind of blushing when they touch hands, and I just thought that was an interesting parallel, Like always kind of in the back of your mind, like, oh yeah, that's that's the real reason that kids speech reports. It's just an excuse to old hands.
Speaker 2: I love the holidays page with my whole heart.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, the holidays page is definitely one of my favorites as well. I mean, we we all got a kick out of hit your boss for the car day.
Speaker 3: I wonder what you're supposed to do on that day they won't say in the book.
Speaker 2: I think you have to read between the lines on that one.
Speaker 1: You have to really analyze it.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's something for the haulic asparracies. Then, because I can't, I probably yeah, heads or tails of it.
Speaker 2: And then I know that. On the cult page, Louis Zong did the brain seismograph meter and the cult flyer at the yard sale that was done by Emmy Cesaraega and on August twentieth she actually tweeted a picture of the larger setup so you can see the other things on her fake yard sale table, which include there appears to be a clock, a goat or possibly a bison, a turtle, to kissing statues that might be salt and pepper shakers, a necklace, a crab, what looks like a little lantern necklace, and she's got it from a couple different angles, and then it looks like just bones maybe antlers, um maybe hog bones maybe hog bones.
Speaker 3: I love on the messages on your TV section. MasterCard is spoofed as plastic card, but Visa is just.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: All Ford letters of visa have been replaced with the final A.
Speaker 1: Oh, and they take cipher pay.
Speaker 2: Oh that's nice.
Speaker 1: So we start to get into back into the pages that are in both versions.
Speaker 2: This is where it sinks back up.
Speaker 1: Yes, we get into dream dream, which is where we really start to explore characters that we know. In addition to Bill himself, rather than just talking about the extended lore of the universe, we're actually talking about our familiar cast.
Speaker 3: Also Ford confirmed plan sexual.
Speaker 2: Yes, lgbt q U I A P.
Speaker 3: I said plan sexual.
Speaker 2: Yes it's it's I thought you said plant sexual and was starting to go into like the adventure zone. Yeah, no, plan sexual. I think I might be plant sexual.
Speaker 3: I also love blobs. Only dreams about Darlin. Darlin only dreams about blobs, like they are literally incapable of having other dreams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sweet babies.
Speaker 1: Some of the saddest ones are Wendy almost always dreams about her mom. Mabel has constant nightmares about being unable to save a dying pig, and Dipper has recurring nightmares about overhearing a fight between his parents he wasn't supposed to hear. Why do you think they were in such a rush to get the kids out the door for the summer?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, which is a big yeah, the biggest Laura reveal.
Speaker 4: It reframes what the entire series says about.
Speaker 9: Uh, I mean it could. I mean, let me ask you, would you send your kids off to stay with an uncle who no one has seen in years and years, who you don't even check in on, except for like maybe one phone call just to.
Speaker 1: Get some fresh air.
Speaker 9: Something is going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, oh my gosh. Then Bill, of course, uh diffold just more embarrassing memories from Dipper, one of his favorite pastimes. And this is probably where I laughed out loud the hardest at this book, which is that Bill inserted fake spoilers of the author's identity into his head every night, and he fell for every one of them. And they're all reimaginings of the fake mcgugget author. Leak one is of Tyler cute Bicker writing the journal.
Speaker 3: And his pen has a little fuzzy ball on the end of it.
Speaker 1: One is of Wattles with the peendust in his mouth, and one is of Gourney, who has written all.
Speaker 3: Over himself with crayons, and.
Speaker 1: They're all framed exactly like that. The fake leaked image absolutely incredible.
Speaker 3: Which also implies that Bill is the canon reason for the leaked McGucket picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, here's another one I have to point out about this page. We see Dipper a picture of him on the World TV, but we see a Super Nintendo on top of it, and instead of like making a fake parody game label that is just the Donkey Kong Country or possibly don Kyng Country two label scaled down enough that it will probably avoid copyright.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, and congratulations. You get a high five from Joe Pitt because he posted this on August nineteenth and said if any of you can guess what game is loaded into the s NES, then you get a high five and a reminder that it's probably time to start getting colonoscopies. That is true, I should I love the mind of the people that make this show incredible. And then the Dipper search history over here was made by Emmy Cesaraega and it said I got to make a little fake web browser and funny search goof poor Dipper.
Speaker 3: Which is styled after the Windows ninety eight version of Internet Explorer.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, yeah, I love the stream of consciousness that is the search history so much.
Speaker 3: This actually okay. So Neil Cissi or Riga made a famous image that went around Tumblr called Google Image Search not working watermelons or something like that, where it was the autocomplete just suggesting the weirdest possible things for several pages, like size eight flizz bits and dumps that require you to fail drug test.
Speaker 2: I really love the attracted to green eminem. Unhealthy green eminem is smiling at me. Oh vest Rash, fighting best Rash, living with best Rash, the.
Speaker 3: Journey of these stages of grief there. Yeah, we seem to for accept that this is just a part of who he is from now on.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this is so beautiful. The more I look at this, the more I love.
Speaker 1: Throw extra finger impress uncle.
Speaker 3: I love also the reveal on the next page that the process of using blending to trick Mabel would not like plan.
Speaker 2: A right, yes, ye.
Speaker 3: This plan took some reconnaissance. There's some other attempts mentioned elsewhere.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean throughout this book we get the notion that like what Bill ultimately went with for for his plan was like that, not even plans z it was it was. He was several alphabets worth of plans in before he landed on the one that actually worked.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 4: His plan literally begun sixty five.
Speaker 3: Million years ago, Yeah, when the dinosaur extinct. Yes, but I love on this page there's a bunch of references to fantasy and then it reveels they mean fantasy by Mariah Carey. And then at one point one of the radical men, the dream Boys says that would be Mariah Scary.
Speaker 2: Yes, and this whole this whole page was emmy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So this is where Bill kind of threw Xyler and kraz. Bill gets the inkling that Mabel has this anxiety about summer ending and childhood ending by extension.
Speaker 3: And not an instant Yes, no question, it took him a bit to coax that out of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what gives may may these aforementioned sads. Oh, and you're right he did take the form of Chill Cipher, as you mentioned earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chill Cipher absolutely beautiful disguise unrecognizable from William and.
Speaker 3: Then his puka shell necklace burnt burnt into. He also mentions that he enjoys having two eyes, but does not include a second eye as part of his disguise.
Speaker 1: Well, no, I think to him, the right amount of eyes is what he Also he also calls Zyler and Kras himbos.
Speaker 2: I love it, they really are. They're so sweet.
Speaker 1: Oh and we get their full names, we get kras Zazzler and Zyler q Blaze cras Zazzler.
Speaker 2: It's such a good it feels good in the mouth.
Speaker 1: Oh. And then this is the saddest spread in the entire book. He goes into McGucket's mind as well to kind of suss things out before weird mgeddon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in this page is Ian and Joe. There's the raccoon wife, raccoon wife. I love the mountain don't though.
Speaker 3: The mountain don't That is like almost exact to the original label of mountain Dew when it was first released. Yes, and then right above it is moonshine. The term mountain dew originated as a slang for moonshine. The specific flavor of mountain dew was designed as a mixer for moonshine. So having the mountain Dew and the moonshine right next to each other, ah means he's using that. He's the one person still using mountain dew correctly. Yes, well, him and a bunch of college kids, I guess.
Speaker 2: And I like that they have the cuckoo clock from earlier in the book animated into the book two. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Bill discovers that mcguckett's mind is just a whirlwind of the minder racing ray, and he also points out that as a spark from the memory inferno hits him, he feels a kind of pain that isn't hilarious, which is kind of foreshadowing that that's what destroys him.
Speaker 2: And then we are onto the popsicle that Aaron Bothman made that was earlier in the Gus saga. Yeah, but we also have on the next page that my story page like a redraping of the earlier image of Bill from the haha page, but with wallpaper this time.
Speaker 1: That's right, Yeah, and cigarettes.
Speaker 2: And cigarettes and this is a Ian world drawing again.
Speaker 1: I think that's Susa's house.
Speaker 2: Might be Susan's house.
Speaker 3: The painting of the ducks.
Speaker 2: Because life is like a hurricane. So we're going into William the Spooky Pyramid's life story.
Speaker 1: Now, that's true, including baby Bill, who really took off on TikTok for some reason.
Speaker 3: You actually predicted that back in our DreamScapers episode I did, I did?
Speaker 1: You know? I remember it like it was just last week.
Speaker 2: See Okay. The whole time I was like, okay, don't call him mister Peanut triangle, don't do it.
Speaker 8: And then I that's all I could think of the entire time.
Speaker 2: When I saw him and I saw him die, it was like mister Peanut died all over again.
Speaker 1: So now there's going to be a baby baby.
Speaker 2: Yes, And this is a Joe Pitt drawing, and it says here he is giving the fans what they wanted for over a decade. Comment below if you want to spin off series, I have no power to do.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: This is pretty much just a tie down of an Alex Hurst sketch.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's great.
Speaker 2: So basically I guess you just designed this Alex and then Ian drew it.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, it's so perfect.
Speaker 4: It does put to one interesting detail.
Speaker 3: His arms are yellow here. Yeah, yeah, yeah, which many have taken.
Speaker 2: To mean that he wears gloves.
Speaker 3: He is wearing long black gloves at all times.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've gotten hints at this. He talked about Flatland in the billsipher Ama.
Speaker 1: User archive mod asked, do you know what spawned your existence? Bill? Says Edwin Abbott. Abbott has a decent idea, and Edwin A. Abbott is the author of Flatland, which is a book series about a world populated by geometric shapes.
Speaker 3: It is really and where Mageddon.
Speaker 7: He says, imagine living in the second dimension, flat minds, in a flat world with flat dreams. I liberated my dimension, Stanford, and I'm here to liberate yours.
Speaker 3: The destruction of his homeworld might not have been as intentional as we have been led to believe up to this point.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, And I think that later in the book it does confirm that, I would say, with the like quietness of his answer of how everything went down.
Speaker 3: And also we learned that basically he just got his start as a conspiracy theorist from Euclidia, from flat Land, Yes, who believed in a third dimension.
Speaker 4: And something about episodes of Family Matters.
Speaker 2: Something about episodes of family matters.
Speaker 1: Well, that he was born with the ability to see past the second dimension into the third dimension, and no one truly believed him.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's where Steve Verkle lives. That's Steve Verkle's domain of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which I think implies that either the other members of Euclidia either have eyes facing the other sides, or if they even have eyes at all. But Bill's eye is facing upward, which means that he can see that third dimension as well as.
Speaker 3: When we see his mugshot on the time Baby page. His eye is the only part of him that is three dimensional.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And I don't think that he was the first to be able to see it because it was outlawed, because it was outlawed. So he's not the first to have had this eye, but he is the most recent and the last.
Speaker 3: Actually, this is a potentially a reference to a bit by Carl Sagan in his demonstration of what the fourth dimension would be.
Speaker 14: Let's imagine that we live in Flatland, a land designed and named by Edwin Abbott, a Shakespearean scholar who lived in Victorian England. Everybody in Flatland is, of course exceptionally flatt We have squares circles, triangles. We have width and length but no height at all.
Speaker 11: And the poor.
Speaker 8: Square has to say, well, I was in some.
Speaker 14: Other mystic dimension called up and they will pat him on his side and comfort him, or else ask, well, show us where is that third dimension? Point to it, and the poor square will be unable to comply.
Speaker 3: And there's another more overt Carl Sagan reference later in order to create an apple pie from scratch, who must first invent the universe, which makes me believe how intentional was this?
Speaker 4: And on the next page, Bill calls himself a pirate cake.
Speaker 1: Right, because without a dimension, he's just in the nightmare realm, the space between spaces that is not truly a home.
Speaker 3: Which hearkens back to the original when you were looking for a crew for gravity falls.
Speaker 9: There's an old drawing I did. I could probably find it if I looked hard enough, where it was a drawing of myself as a pirate standing on.
Speaker 2: The prow of a pirate ship.
Speaker 9: And it was like, you know TV show ahoy, need to crue pirate King boo.
Speaker 1: I love this stupid family photo with the friends font.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm picturing like a weird Magetdon version of the Friends theme, and then the.
Speaker 4: Clapping never stops. Why won't it stop?
Speaker 3: Yeah, no one ever told you life was gonna be this week.
Speaker 1: Your life's a joke.
Speaker 3: Then then she's dads, and then the clapping continues for days.
Speaker 2: And I always love a good like family picture where everybody's wearing matching sweaters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and putting their hands on each other's shoulders. Who does that in real life?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean awkward family photos had a couple like this?
Speaker 1: Yeah? No, I just mean like, why where did that get started?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Who was like, you know what looks really naturalistic? Yes?
Speaker 2: When did this trend become reality?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: It's so beautiful though, And I love the way Keyhole is just touching Ironica's Ironica's booty because he can't hit her shoulders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the way eight Ball's just holding up Hector Gunn who doesn't have arms for the lease.
Speaker 2: Yes. Oh, I love it so much, and we.
Speaker 3: Get a fall bios.
Speaker 1: I'm a hench maniacs. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I also love the well seduce Smokey Bear for the sick thrill of it is great. He hates fires, she is fired.
Speaker 1: I bet Gus Burnside would have a lot to say to Pironica as.
Speaker 4: Well as there's a Breaking Bad reference here.
Speaker 2: Oh we love Breaking Bad references here on the pod.
Speaker 3: Otro Loco is a character in season one of Breaking Bad.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, oh we get another reference to Watacron nine, the Casino dimension from Journal three, which is where eight ball was found.
Speaker 3: He's from everywhere from he heard a lot of Crown nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah that too. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Third dimension, third mention, I mean a lot of cross don't dimension it.
Speaker 2: I think my favorite crew member is probably Dan Krableman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: It's just a photo of the crab.
Speaker 1: I'm just happy to be part of the team.
Speaker 3: Next page has Pironica flashing her breast.
Speaker 2: Yes, and this is done by Joe Pitt. On the fourteenth he does confirm that this is a loop in the third reference lupon reference.
Speaker 1: I love that Bill discovered a chemical element that makes dimensional authorities explode and it's called no Pigium. Releasing my Christmas album it was bad.
Speaker 3: I want to hear his Christmas album. I need to hear it. Love bad Christmas albums.
Speaker 15: I'm giving Centa a Polis Christmas Wow, just like the one you gave to me.
Speaker 1: That's right, So Then Bill goes on to talk about his dealings with the Time Baby, which sort of sheds more light on Time Baby's backstory and how the glacier aspect of it fits in with the Time Traveler's pig information and how all that kind of puzzle fits together.
Speaker 3: So your people killed the dinosaurs?
Speaker 8: Are you saying your people kill the dinosaurs? Technically the old people interesting?
Speaker 1: I'm more like a dog than a human.
Speaker 2: I love the Barbie Ken mugshot.
Speaker 1: Bill over there, Yes the mugshot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, criminal, sadistic, yellow guilty becomes I'm selling guy.
Speaker 2: I love that Time Baby knows what Coca melon is.
Speaker 9: It's so good.
Speaker 1: Buco melon was good today.
Speaker 3: I shall take this dok secret to my grave. The Baby comedy with Time Traveler comedy.
Speaker 1: It's a great combination.
Speaker 3: I need you to support our empire, like how my neck barely supports my massive heads.
Speaker 1: Then we get to Bill's reasoning for selecting Earth as sort of the new home that he would weak himself into, and then we get a picture of the fresh crash site through the cliffs of Gravity Falls, which is really interesting. That's gorgeous, and how it's sort of just the natural weirdness attracting properties of gravity falls that sort of caught Bill's attention in the first place.
Speaker 2: Most of these images are Ian worrel. That land OrCAD down at the bottom is Eduardo Valdez. Eduardo Valdez heavier.
Speaker 1: And then we get the redwood rings again from the Parks Department Twitter.
Speaker 2: I personally love the gnome skull.
Speaker 1: The Noome skull is fantastic. The affirming as are part of their bodies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, lot of hat bones in this book.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of hat bones.
Speaker 1: Unsurprisingly, well, the skull bones connected to the hat bone after all.
Speaker 3: Wow, they're good. I got to wreak this down.
Speaker 2: And then we've got the Shawman over here, which is the first contact on Earth right.
Speaker 3: Which was also mentioned in Journal three.
Speaker 1: Yes, we had a little more detail about the prophecy and the symbols and how Bill initially is just like, ah, doesn't really mean anything, or you know, he's not worried about it.
Speaker 3: Do you want to build a portal?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty much The next several centuries of Bill's life is just going around to various time periods and figures within and trying and failing to get them to build his portal.
Speaker 2: And this history book page has like so many different artists on it. This is Ian, Emmy Louis and Eduardo, so it's like a ton of collaborative work for this specific page.
Speaker 1: And I love the Egyptians didn't just mummify humans. They mummified cats, hawks, ferrets, even bears. They use a special kind of sap from a rubber tree to allow these mummy bears to bounce here and there and everywhere. It was, frankly, in an adventure that was beyond compare. I guess you gotta patribute to your Disney TVA ancestor.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's the very great granddaddy.
Speaker 1: That's the first exactly exactly. Then we go into the illuminated manuscript of Bill's time in the Dark Ages.
Speaker 2: Which has a couple of owl house like obvious owl house references. Whod he's there? There's the tight.
Speaker 3: Ball yeah, and as well as this is clearly like a stylistic homage to Monty pay in The Holy Grail, and Bill directly calls this out by saying, Yeah, what I'm looking for is by DVD of Monty Python and the Holy Yes. This is probably one of my favorite parts to the book. It's just my vibe.
Speaker 2: I love the illustrations on this page, like I want this hung up on my wall. I love this.
Speaker 3: Who drew this one?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: This is actually a collaborative. This is Ian Joe and Gore and Gligovak.
Speaker 3: You should contact them see if you could get the original. I resolution.
Speaker 2: I might see if Mystery of Gravity Falls is thinking about doing this as a poster, because if he is, I would very much like to get one.
Speaker 3: You should tell him he should.
Speaker 1: If he isn't, I'll talk with my friend jess Oooh yeah.
Speaker 2: Jessica's the one that usually mocks up designs with him, So I'll see if that's something they're thinking of.
Speaker 1: To quote the cut song, It's gonna get weird, where Bill says.
Speaker 3: Throughout history, could you miss me? Seriously, I'm a little the place.
Speaker 1: This is basically this entire section where he talks about how there was a Bill panic throughout history, where Russian mothers warned that Sifrashka would steal the dreams of children who didn't finish their borsch and King Henry the eighth. It was so paranoid about Bill visiting the dreams of his wives that he started chopping off their heads just to kick him out of their brains. Yes, that was the real reason. He quickly ran out of options except for the continent that had previously spurned him, Wacky Land, or as it was later renamed, America.
Speaker 11: I was heading to a bomben land of opportunity, a land with a pioneering spirit which welcomed misfits like me.
Speaker 1: But I ended up an American.
Speaker 3: Stand on this witchcraft page. Oh my god, wait, I just caught this. I didn't catch this until now. Ella, you're a prophet. Remember the drawing of Bill facing forward with the sideways bird costume from what probably happened to gravity falls zippik fiach foxo weird be Getting Part one on my Youtubely look closely at the witch, the silhouette of the witch in the background under Witch's rebellion.
Speaker 2: Ela, you are a prophet.
Speaker 3: That's Bill facing forward with a profile witch costume.
Speaker 1: Huh amazing? I guess I doubled my profits there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what is going on in your No? Did you was?
Speaker 1: I guess? I don't know if I have it anymore.
Speaker 3: Well, let's try. Let's try. Let's try, Ella, Elle, Yeah, Yeah, let's try. Okay, what will be.
Speaker 4: The next gravity Falls release.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm seeing gummy bears, Okay, shaped like SEUs.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll check back on in about six years. Because it's this page, Emmy Sesaraega used a little tiny, three day printed bill from Mystery of Gravity Falls to make the wax seal on that, and I think she might have treated the pages because she was tea dying pages for a scroll, so I think this might have been the scroll that she t died.
Speaker 3: Interestingly, the page about Bill possessing a goat is a reference to the twenty fifteen horror film The the Vich or possibly I'm supposed to read that as the Witch, but if you type in the Witch on Netflix, it won't come up.
Speaker 4: As we learned last night when I watched it.
Speaker 1: That's clearly two v's.
Speaker 3: There is a goat named Black Philip for Vinegar Pete. Yeah, he seduces these depressed puritans into a life of deliciousness.
Speaker 1: Oh that's what that's from.
Speaker 2: That's what that's from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I always thought that was like a McDonald's slogan or something.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, before Black Philip got this movie deal, he did, you know, have to do a commercial here and there to make goat rent in his.
Speaker 2: Stable, and as we know, the McDonald's logo is two v's upside down.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: How is that not a comedy movie quote?
Speaker 3: What'st thou like to to live Deliciously?
Speaker 1: It is a hilarious quote to me, and I can't believe it's from a harm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's just the setup. Wait do you I mean he'll be here all week because he follows it up with what'st thou like to Taste butter? Because apparently it was believed that eating butter was Unchristian at the time.
Speaker 1: So oh, so that whole that whole story, that whole part of Bill's backstories. Just this is a reference.
Speaker 3: To the Bitch. Thank you to Kesla in our discord for pointing me to that reference.
Speaker 1: Hey do you know the name of the goat that played Black Philip in that movie? What? It's Charlie.
Speaker 4: That's great, that's funny.
Speaker 3: I also know Charlie is impossible to work with. There are three times in the movie in which Black Philip bucks the father with his horns, and then there is one unscripted moment where Charlie does and they use that take and like he could have died.
Speaker 2: Real diva, All right, back to America.
Speaker 3: Ah, do I.
Speaker 2: Have to No, you don't.
Speaker 1: America is quoted as the only country by an American abe. Lincoln wore his hat so that no one could see Bill sitting on his head, pulling his hair and controlling his body to make him cook grisotto.
Speaker 2: God love me a ratitude we reference that.
Speaker 3: Is an alternate theory to the hand on his head.
Speaker 1: One the hand might have just been Bill's disguise.
Speaker 2: Maybe this next page, which is the love of my life Johnny Crickets, I Love Johnny Crickets.
Speaker 3: Now lay the anti cipher kind of skull and bones club looking logo.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, And there's like an extended picture of this, So this is sort of a zoom in on the full anti Cipher society area. But like, oh my gosh, you gotta check out Johnny Crickets.
Speaker 3: You will do. And so then we get because this has been kind of shifting through narrators as Bill tries different subjects. But then we get several pages written by Thurbert mudget wax Staff, the third, who is a copywriter. He comes up with slogans and the fail son of a steel magnate and the photo of him here is a.
Speaker 2: Selfie and the illustrations are done by Stephen DiStefano. But yes, Matt Chapman is the selfie picture.
Speaker 3: Matt Chapman sent us an email with the original image, so he says, Alex first texted me what's your current facial hair situation? When I told him I was beardless, he said they needed someone to dress as an old timy man for photos for a section in the book. A half hour later, I put on the cravat for my kids Miles Edgeworth costume, pulled the shade off a lamp and texted back my best old timey slash eraser head poster photo which we'll be putting up on our Twitter, Instagram, etc. Then they photoshopped the crap out of it, gave me a mustache, crossed out my eyes, and now by forehead and chin are sort of in a published book, hooray. So unfortunately the Edgeworth cravat has been edited out and replaced with this bow tie. And yeah, the reason there's like, very very harsh lighting on one side of his face is because Matt, with the hand that he's not taking the picture, is holding a lamp that he took the shade of.
Speaker 2: I love the harsh lighting on the second like. I think it adds a lot of character to the picture. That there is that harsh lighting.
Speaker 1: It's impossible not to read all of this like old timey strong bed.
Speaker 13: Bounds, a saspar in a swimming hool, last one in a freemason.
Speaker 3: I also think the illustration on the second page is supposed to be Matt like by the face shape.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does look like Matt.
Speaker 1: I also know this contains your favorite quote, Charlie.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes, yes, yes, I need to Should I do the Should I do the old timey strong bad voice?
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, please, sure enough.
Speaker 16: When I relate the slogan to my boss, his cigar fell from his mouth. So impressive was he, and he proclaimed, you shall have the slogan and marry my wife. What could I say? But yes, soon I was rich off slogan money and married to my boss's wife.
Speaker 3: As is the a African Tree.
Speaker 1: And I love that it's written from this comically old timey perspective, but it still tells like a genuinely haunting story of this anti cipher society that forms and their downfall as Bill, you know, messes with them all.
Speaker 3: And it's also kind of backstory for why Ford knows what he knows about fighting Ceipher to some.
Speaker 1: Extent A little bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just want to point out we talk a lot about getting things past the censors. My whole could be yours. Large men need not apply.
Speaker 1: That's a lot. Yeah, that's a lot.
Speaker 3: Dan Backside apparently took out an ad in this newspaper as well, because there's a small ad at the bottom that says.
Speaker 16: All run about, you'll steal it and no one.
Speaker 3: Will ever know.
Speaker 1: We also get doctor B. Blanden's time pieces, The famed clocksmith of the West End Plains, Doctor B. Blendon has this to say about his moveless clocks. If you're reading this, help help me. I'm stuck in this time period. Help which, of course we knew from Journal three.
Speaker 2: And then the portal drawing.
Speaker 3: It's a steampunk portal.
Speaker 1: I do love that it requires at least six stout lads to operate.
Speaker 2: Ian Worrel drew up the initial drawings for it, but he's not sure who finished it. But the page's cried to Danny Hines, Emmy Ciria Gutten, Joe Peck.
Speaker 3: I'm just obsessed with this section. I could do a whole podcast to this section.
Speaker 2: If the folks want us to do something for the Patreon unlike deep diving into specific sections rather than lossing over it, email us if you want that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we get the Anti Cipher Society the Curse at four, which includes Annie Oakley type parody named Delilah Gulch. Yes, there's an inventress, a Tinkerer, Abigail Blackwing, Horace broad Shoulder, the largest man I've ever seen, Yes, and Father Tinsley Opim whose last name is Opium. Just a former priest who is drunk out of his mind all of the time. That's really his thing.
Speaker 1: Naturally he's the one to get possessed.
Speaker 3: Of course, of course, and even later we get, as an alternative to wax Staff's anti cipher Conic, which apparently contains turpentine cocaine, we have Father o Pim's brainwash, which has a large label to print ingredients, seems vast and empty because the only ingredient is alcohol.
Speaker 2: I love that mountain dew code red is at the bottom just for tat Yes, it's like the least amountain there, but it's to taste the precious.
Speaker 16: Morning moisture from a local mountain Peak tim scarlet by minerals, which we have fancifully named mountain dew code red.
Speaker 1: Very fanciful.
Speaker 2: I'm sure you haven't listened to Bmore Chill, Alex, but I know that in b Moore Chill, mountain dew code red is what kills the squip.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's right, Yeah, it's an anti possession.
Speaker 2: It's an anti possession tonic.
Speaker 3: Wait, I didn't catch this joke the last two or three times I read this. At the beginning of the century, Don Herold printed of pod powerful paper stock to fortify the news voice frail.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then at the bottom there's a I say, the opinions of a man who simply walked up to our typing.
Speaker 3: Machine Inventioneer's Fair instead of the World Fair.
Speaker 1: Yeah. That basically, the anti cipher society is invited to an Inventioneer's Fair and they are essentially laughed out of the place and committed.
Speaker 3: That's also the plot of the Jungle Cruise movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, oh, okay, I that doesn't concern me.
Speaker 3: But I love that Theodore Roosevelt hosts Teddy Talks.
Speaker 1: Yes, you so crazy, I will.
Speaker 4: I would watch listen.
Speaker 3: I'm not asking you to spend more of your time in sanity making it. I'm saying I want to make the Thurbert Mudget Waxed aff the third cartoon.
Speaker 1: Now by cartoons, I assume you're referring to carcinogenic tunes, since they've painted on cancer causing celluloid, which Bill eventually tried to break into, which I think this is my favorite section. Obviously, I'm biased as a cartoon stress myself.
Speaker 3: As an animated I mean animatrix, I mean animattress, I mean animatrix, animatris.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as an animatrix, I love that. And then this animation page is a combination of Matt Chapman, Louis Zong, and Joe Pitt.
Speaker 3: So supposedly not supposedly, that's a misprint for the Matt Chapman one.
Speaker 4: I suggested it might be the Bill Cipher.
Speaker 2: Flow, but the Bill Cipher Flowed is a Louis Zong illustration, so it might be a combination of Matt and Louis.
Speaker 3: Nope, he says, I'm not sure what the second credit is for. Honestly, as far as I knew, I only sent one photo to be used.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's just a funny miscredit like how my IMDb claims I was on whose line is it anyway and did a voice for veggie tails.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: It's entirely possible that the photo of the parade was taken by Matt and just posted it to like Facebook or texted to them years ago or something, and he did not. They didn't ask his permission or anything. They're just like I think Matt took a picture of a parade once.
Speaker 1: Maybe I don't know, but yeah, makes a deal with one Elias Inkwell, no guess ass as to who that is referencing the middle name of I mean, most people don't.
Speaker 3: Know Walt Disney is short for something that's not just his full Christian name.
Speaker 1: His name is Walter Elias Disney, and that is his full Satanic name.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course, given a Satanic name.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love the song for the cypher symphonies for he's a jolly good fellow. He's pointing in dapper and yello for he's a jolly good fellow. Now it's time to release the bees. At this point, live bees will be released into the.
Speaker 3: Field and then there's just an image of a bunch of people in an old timey photo under a marquee that says cypher symphonies running and screaming as there are bees surrounding them.
Speaker 2: The illustration on the left is a Joe Pitt illustration. Notably, there was a rat in there. He just posted on Instagram on the sixteenth of August there was a rat in the little hole underneath, and Disney specifically requested that they remove the mouse.
Speaker 1: I also love that Katir Elias Inkwell begs his employees, Yeah, it's a brainstorm Katier away to exercise Bill.
Speaker 3: I mean, every sentence of this is flawless, Folks.
Speaker 15: I'm in a bit of a bind here, but I'm hoping you can put asid drawing a track of female cows in skirts for a day.
Speaker 1: And lend me a hand.
Speaker 15: It pains me to admit this, but our last cartoon was conceived by an immortal demon from a realm of nightmares, and now he's after my soul. Of all things egg on my face, I can assure you, well, I need a way to get rid of the rotten fellow, and I'm hoping one of your creative types can brainstorm Katier a way to expel him from my brain forever. In Hollywood, we create dreams every day. I'm asking you to kill one fifteen dollars to the man who can do it, your boss, Elias inc. Weell, ps, I need a new character, maybe a talking egg, a womanly dog, HOLLI the frog with folio?
Speaker 9: Is that anything?
Speaker 1: And thank you to David gansel aka Doggins for voicing Elias Inkwell right there.
Speaker 3: Yes, amazing job, Dave. That voice is canon as far as we are all concerned.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, through Doggins of Belove You Day.
Speaker 3: We should do a podcast with him sometime, Ella maybe soon.
Speaker 1: So then they end up developing away to banish Bill, which is a song called the World Is Small Ever After for Always, which is so catchy that any brain that hears it, but.
Speaker 3: There's no room for anything else in your mind.
Speaker 1: Yes, we get into the nineteen forties in which Bill started to hang out in nuclear testing ranges just to see if portal could just be made by that much radiation, and it temporarily worked apparently, is seen in this dossier, which is French for dossier.
Speaker 3: This unfortunately strikes any possibility that gravity Falls and Futurama share continuity, because Zoidberg was not the Roswell alien. It was Billy and the Angry video game NERD movie for that matter.
Speaker 1: You know, there goes my theory.
Speaker 3: So this is from Commander Buck Pearson, which is a wonderful name.
Speaker 2: Incredible name.
Speaker 1: Now that's the name of someone who was born with the intention of becoming the commander of the US Army.
Speaker 4: Mister and missus Pearson, what do you want to name your kid?
Speaker 3: Well, I think it should be a good strapping name that can handle classified documents one.
Speaker 1: Day, how it lifts the infant Listen, Maggot.
Speaker 3: Blows cigar smoke in his face, which was good for babies back then.
Speaker 2: Yes, of course it was.
Speaker 1: I love that Bill claims to be older than your mom, Jack, Like, I don't know. I love whatever they integrate these David Lynches on the Yeah, the way Bill talks.
Speaker 2: I really love that the thumb prints are more triangles.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 4: And there's the business card that Robin s Eddie designed.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's beautiful.
Speaker 1: I guess we get a hint at it's named the Bureau of something.
Speaker 3: So when I was reading this, it's a catch up for this record when it says that just observing Bill's blood made them a little nauseous.
Speaker 4: I was looking at it and like, hey, it's working.
Speaker 3: How about you, guys?
Speaker 2: I'm okay, but I don't work dead.
Speaker 1: Probably one of those one of those new colors.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it resembles mercury a little.
Speaker 1: Okay, that explains the taste.
Speaker 3: Oh I love this next page this is yes, yes, yeah.
Speaker 1: So we get it to the swing in years.
Speaker 3: Weird fact about me.
Speaker 4: I love dua like legitimate ram.
Speaker 3: I listened to it all.
Speaker 2: I mean, how can you not love doop.
Speaker 3: Legit in my like top three musical genres, like I do listen to it a lot.
Speaker 2: So the cipher tones is designed by Eduardo Valdez. Hevia and I do want to read to you what caption he did?
Speaker 1: Oh please please yes me okay.
Speaker 2: So it's like, here's one of the illustrations I made for Book of bill This rare vinyl only plays on the limited edition Dan set Billigram turntable, making it pretty much useless, which is sad because Bebop shoebop, double dop, moble Mop dibble hop wibble wop is a real bop. If you'd like to see more of my illustrations, please get Book of Billets out in stores already topping the chart. And we can't see the full album in the book, but in his Instagram post from August second, you can and it's a triangle record with the eye in the center.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of the CD shaped like Diddy Kong's head.
Speaker 3: That would break the insert type of CD dress. There's something that like you place a CD down on. It was fine in those but the type that kind of like swallows your CD, it would just destroy.
Speaker 1: So, baby, you know, I will a parentheses shake hands with Bill from nineteen fifty four blew up the charts until a moral panics started over the lyrics to the sack Up Twist and Job then proceed to construct a hoop of titanium capable of stabilizing a gateway to the dark void of scream Eames.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: And also is it just me hmmm or.
Speaker 3: Does Pluckin' Jim Pucket look a little bit like Friend of the Show.
Speaker 4: Key in Carlile.
Speaker 2: It does kind of look a little bit like Friend of the Show Key in Carlile. That picture is from the Everett Collection in Alarmy.
Speaker 1: So I'm realizing that, like this section of the book is very like Forest Gump of like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was there every point in history.
Speaker 1: And then I got really good at ping pong.
Speaker 3: I put my money in some Apple company.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I really love the featuring judgmental yodeling.
Speaker 3: I love the quote I hate Bill Cipher more than I love my son. And let's be clearer, plucking Jim Pucket adores his son. It's not to say that he doesn't love his son, but it.
Speaker 1: Does speak to his hatred of Bill Ceipher.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then I love the design of the eighties computer, the eighties mouse, in the eighties floppy disc. It's beautiful, maniac and tosh.
Speaker 3: This is probably based on the Apple two, which was the first Apple computer.
Speaker 1: Confusingly well because Apples Apples already existed.
Speaker 3: It's the sequel to Apples.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The blood slowly slowly oozing out of the disk drive is very like, don't hug me.
Speaker 4: I'm scared it ate some bump Kit's fingers.
Speaker 1: So it's not Jam. Definitely notice not Jam.
Speaker 2: I want to make these Triangel collections so badly.
Speaker 1: They're so so u core.
Speaker 2: They are very meat core. I'm probably gonna make some of these for my collection. They're gonna go next to my toilet. Ed Gralan Poe Edgar allan poet sitting on a toilet reading a book with his pants fully up.
Speaker 3: Now with slightly less lead, less poison, more value. What is the original called.
Speaker 2: They're basically precious moments.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I don't know too much about precious moments, but quick Google appointed me to the fact that they own a church.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, my tracks. I mean it's all rooted in like Christian patriotism.
Speaker 3: So that's exactly it, though, is like that feels teetering on false idolatry? Is a church opened by corporation?
Speaker 17: Oh my goodness, let me there's a there's a few corporate churches that are We could go deep into that, Laura, just maybe not today, but I'll say that I'm very familiar with the precious moment statues, being from the Bible Belt myself from McGucket territory.
Speaker 1: It is funny that they're literally selling false idols.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm forgetting is that. Uh Jesus loved capitalism.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Notoriously did not throw over a table because of capitalism.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no no, I.
Speaker 1: Mean he was a well he was a woodworker, right, He actually carved little cheeby versions of himself and he sold them to all his friends. Everybody bought one except Judas. For some reason, this is an interesting page to me because it's Bill like actually starting to not give up, but admit that he kind of had a bad plan, that he that he's running into complete dead ends everywhere he tries to make a deal on Earth.
Speaker 3: And in our episode on Journal three, I summarized the book as the Smartest Man in the World explains to us why he's the dumbest man in.
Speaker 2: The world, as Hannah hyperfixates describes Ford as a himbo scientist, which I feel like is the best description of Ford.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and this one, the Book of Bill, is more like the dumbest man in the world refuses to admit that he's the dumbest.
Speaker 8: Man in the world.
Speaker 2: Hmmm.
Speaker 1: The difference is that Ford eventually admitted that, and I think Bill is just literally like to the grave his refusing to acknowledge this. He doesn't even say, oh, I've been running into these dead ends. It's just he says, my big bat on Earth was starting to look like a bad hand, Like he's just blaming fate or like some something that's like, surely this is not my fault.
Speaker 2: So It's credited both of these pages to Aaron Bothman, Gabriel Sorez, and Eduardo Valdez Hevia, which I know Edwardo Valdez Hevia did the screen the NaSTA, But I want to know who did these chess pieces over on the sixer page, because they are amazing.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 9: EDWARDO three D sculpted the models, and then Aaron Buffman he three printed them and textured them and photographed them, and then Ian did a little finishing on the end, and then I did a little finishing on the finishing. Here, let me show you guys something cool here. Let me turn the camera on. Here's you know, here's one of the chess pieces.
Speaker 3: My gosh, wow, is she the queen?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: I don't know if we fully figured out what was what depends on I mean, if he asked dips.
Speaker 3: The disco queen, the dancing queen.
Speaker 9: Here's the dance and queen right there. His cap is kind of at a weird angle because he was only meant to be photograph from one angle. But when you turn around, you know, I have all of them as.
Speaker 1: Chess, gravity falls Monopoly in my home.
Speaker 9: I mean, like Disney just uniquely doesn't give a sick about merchandising their cartoons, and it was always a little sort of heartbreaking, you know that my friends, yeah, who are making other shows, you know from college. I'm like, oh, I go to New York and Times Square and I'm like, I can buy like five hundred Finn and Jakes, and they're just they're never gonna make you know, at least then they were never going to make any merchandise. So you know, with the book, I'm like, I'll just make my own damn merchandise. I'm a fan. I want a Gravity Falls chest set, so I'll commission when I want Precious Moments figure of Bill.
Speaker 3: I'll just make my own damn.
Speaker 9: Precious Moments figure. I'll just create them because I want them, even though that's a crazy thing to want. And and then I'll just use this book as an excuse to do the thing that would be fun anyway. Yeah, I wanted Bill Cipher wigi boards, so I know I commissioned Bill Cipher wigi boards.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, all right, these next two pages Ian Worrell and Joe Pitt. Oh boy, hope he draws me pretty.
Speaker 1: And again there we get the dimensional I like you, pointed out Charlie.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yes, I love this part of the book.
Speaker 2: All of these pages are Andy Gunnsalvez, Emi Cesaraega, and Joe Pitt. All of the Journal pages in the section are credited to them.
Speaker 1: I was excited because for the book of Bill, because I was excited for something that was very much like the polar opposite of Journal three, like sort of a Bill's warped version of Journal three. But you know, oddly enough, the part that did get me the most invested was just more Journal three.
Speaker 3: Yes, but never Journal two.
Speaker 2: Never Journal two? Were Journal one weird?
Speaker 1: Well yeah, because Journal two is just today I found this weird mushroom. I ate it. I probably shouldn't have h that's all that's in Journal too. I would read that fair point, so would I.
Speaker 3: Yes, uh so. The when my waitress told me the apple pie was made from scratch, I replied, incredible. I must meet the chef who created the atoms. There's one of the most famous Carl Sagan quotes is in order to create an apple pie from scratch, who must first invent the universe?
Speaker 1: You're Carl Sagan is a Kylo ren kermit.
Speaker 3: I've heard impressions of him and never heard his voice, and I'm like, he can't actually sound that much like Kermit. And then I watched the clip that I was saying the destruction of Bill's world resembled, and I was like, oh no, they they're pretty good, pretty accurate impressionists.
Speaker 14: If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe.
Speaker 1: So yeah, we open these lost journal three pages so that Bill is giving us a peek into and he teased this up as though Ford has torn out these pages because they delve too deeply into his issues with relationships in general, which does kind of open up a question of like, why didn't they reconstitute in the journal that we know?
Speaker 2: But I mean it's possible that they did and then he ripped them out before publishing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's also more of a that's a theory on that doesn't really belong in this particular room, so we'll get to that later. But I really like the illustration on the Cipher Speaks page because there's these little lines on Ford's hands that I guess are just sort of like texture or shading, but yeah, to me, make it look like he's wearing like Mickey mouse gloves and I really does.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which, as we know, Bill is wearing gloves all the time, all the time, so they have that in common.
Speaker 1: Yes, But yeah, I mean these are basically more examples of Ford getting buttered up by Bill. But I think, like you alluded to, focusing more on how Ford is a victim rather than how he's he did not exclusively do this to himself. That Bill is a manipulat act. I mean, it's it's it's a case of textbook manipulation up but up up trauma.
Speaker 2: But yeah, being able to see how the influence of Bill slowly changes for it in these pages is so interesting, and it.
Speaker 1: Makes sense why Ford would focus excessively on the ones that where you know, now he is in this humble era of his life and he feels very bad, but he's being too hard on himself and he's ignoring the parts where Bill was manipulative, not just that Ford allowed it to happen, but that Bill was active in that. And I think it makes sense for Bill on his side in his book to be like a credit where credits due sixer on the brains of this operation.
Speaker 2: I find out fascinating that Bill did love bomb forward with rats.
Speaker 1: Well that's one of his tips.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then.
Speaker 3: Would disappear for months on end and not even tell him. Yeah, but yes, he told us that leaving rats on a doorstep is a great.
Speaker 4: Way to uh flirt or find love interest interesting and.
Speaker 1: Also that he specifically possessed each rat and placed it in and.
Speaker 3: Then I guess got the rat to just die into the spot because he look, there's like x's on there.
Speaker 1: I mean, that makes sense.
Speaker 9: So this is.
Speaker 3: Where Bill remembers Ford's birthday, and that's why he placed all these rats on his porch. Yes, and he insists upon getting Ford drunk, which is, you know, hugest of red like he Bill loves red. Flats of them. We do get a page written from the perspective of Ford drunk off his Ford Gord.
Speaker 9: One thing led to another thing.
Speaker 4: Normally I tried a sober but he mixed the dream drink.
Speaker 3: And gotta say, I gotta say, I just got look, it's look, it's just being my journal here. I gotta say this, Bilga, He's really got it all. Figure it out.
Speaker 2: Punctuated with ad aspera aspirin, which is such a funny reference.
Speaker 3: And stranforord pie ad Asper Asper Strand from buh we got a return of disco girl.
Speaker 1: Or chronologically speaking, the first appearance true.
Speaker 3: The first appearance would have been the years nineteen seventy two and that girl is you? It's Silbiver. He did a dream. Oh carry okay, disco.
Speaker 2: Girl come true?
Speaker 3: What girl is you?
Speaker 1: Wo?
Speaker 3: What color is Bill's hat?
Speaker 2: I guess technically a dark brown because it's a sepiotone page.
Speaker 3: What color is his bow tie?
Speaker 2: Black? But he doesn't have his gloves on or his leggings. Bill's naked.
Speaker 3: Bill does appear to be naked with this man he has gotten drunk, just.
Speaker 2: A bow tie and a hat, which is so scandalous.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's that Bill is not only you know, getting for drunk and giving him these gifts, but also, you know, emphasizing the fact that two four he's like the only one who cares because he's mulling over how his birthday is difficult now that he and his brother aren't talking. And it is that dichotomy that Bill exploits, that loneliness, he.
Speaker 2: Finds an instance to squeeze in there in a time of vulnerability.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we get Grifter, the grime Lifter, one of Stan's classic products.
Speaker 1: I would get like an entire catalog, right, just a catalog of all of the Stanco products.
Speaker 2: Of just like the horrifying puns and product. I love it so much.
Speaker 3: This page has another one of my favorite lines. Bill says, you could have just absorbed him in the womb, you know. Ford says, you can't just eat your twig bill at Bill responds, you'd be surprised what you could eat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think the next page is one of my favorites in the entire book.
Speaker 3: It's fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we alluded to it earlier, but basically Bill again, this is a manipulation tactic, but he is also genuinely vulnerable with Ford in a way that he isn't really with anyone else where. He takes off his hat and he pulls out a single atom or the last few atoms, just a speck of his home dimension, where he says, you know, in the passive voice, it was burned out of existence. And Ford asks how by what? And he says Bill looked distant, more distant than I'd ever seen him. And Bill just says, by a monster.
Speaker 2: Which does heavily imply that it was on accident that his home dimension.
Speaker 1: Leaves, yeah, leaves it open that there's either that there's some guilt or that you know, how does Bill truly view himself apart from all this self absorber and.
Speaker 4: Ford offers to hunt it down and Bill responds.
Speaker 3: Sixer, it would eat you alive. So like, this is an insane amount of self awareness to be said for William Mischief.
Speaker 1: Cipher, especially after he just said you'd be surprised for you. Yeah, but yeah, it's you can interpret the you know, him telling his sort of his backstory to Stanford is like he's either just toying with him, like he knows, like oh, six or it would eat you alive, but inside he's just going he doesn't know.
Speaker 3: Or well it says he laughed joylessly before that, which doesn't sound like how Bill usually laughs.
Speaker 2: Well, and then Bill disappears for months at a time looking into this next part. So it's like, I think that he he is self aware and does know, and I think he got too close, which is why he's distancing himself for a while.
Speaker 1: Intentionally to get Stanford to think, a, you know, maybe he'll never come back. Maybe I imagined it and b did I do something wrong, like was I not loyal enough? You know, make him like desperate for that attention.
Speaker 4: It's really really legitimately scary.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it's also time doesn't work the same Bill does not experience time the same way.
Speaker 1: That's also true.
Speaker 2: So for Ford to be gone for thirty years, that's like thirty minutes in Bill's time, And it.
Speaker 1: Also works out in Bill's favor because he would disappear and then Ford would be like, oh, I haven't heard from you in months, and Bill would be like, oh, it's been like a day, and then you know, yes, because Bill probably knows that Ford perceives that differently, but he doesn't.
Speaker 2: It reminds me of like the first Matt Smith episode and the Girl in the Fireplace episodes of Doctor Who, where like he keeps disappearing and reappearing at different points in her life.
Speaker 3: There's a bit later where Ford is like legitimately incensed that he's been gone so long and Bill is like, actually, it's your fault, and Ford instantly acquiescence.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah.
Speaker 3: This part of the book showing just a relatively realistic depiction of an abusive relationship, is the part that's like the freakiest to me, not the nudity or swearing or blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yes.
Speaker 1: So we come to a winter break the winter time and gravity falls against some obviously something we rarely get to see. It's it's just nice to see the holiday traditions acknowledged and to see that lovely illustration of the Stan twins in a big honka sweater.
Speaker 3: And I love any mention of Philbrick raising them Jewish because you could tell me it's not addressed.
Speaker 1: Much their mom. Let's be real, their mom reasing for the words Philbrick and raising them don't.
Speaker 2: In the same sentence, Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yes, yeah, Like I imagine that she put them in that sweater and he was like, you're still clothing them? Can't they make their own clothes? By now?
Speaker 2: I love this sweater so much though this like and then over to these beautiful like presents from Fiddleford.
Speaker 1: H yeah, and then instantly Ford is like, my god, I'm a matuerk because I didn't uh, I didn't get you anything and all that. Fiddleford says. He says he only wished to hold my novel prize one day, which is so sad. Yes, and again like speaks to how you know, obviously not intentionally, but Ford was not a good friend to Fiddleford. No, a long time.
Speaker 2: Fiddleford is such a I love him like, he's such a good character.
Speaker 1: This next page, this is after Fiddleford leaves to go visit his wife Ford.
Speaker 3: Here's a noise outside. You know, it's the eighties, it's snowing. He hears a noise outside of the house that would become the mystery Shack and finds children's footprints leading to nowhere. After he peers back inside to get his lantern.
Speaker 1: Well, he also hears a loud bang noise.
Speaker 3: So something must have happened there. Some kids must have disappeared, and he must have peered his head out the.
Speaker 4: Door and then gone back inside for the lantern.
Speaker 1: What could that be? I wonder?
Speaker 2: I love the tie ins to the shallots.
Speaker 1: That's a return of the land orca acknowledgment that's still set up earlier in the foot, as well as the Bobba Yaga and the baby yoga. That's so cute, isn't baby yoga that thing from the Mandalorian?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I love also that he's just casually like yep, those are crampus tracks and not like I didn't predict the Crampas showing up simply because it was like, well, he wouldn't have so casually observed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But at the same time, he totally would.
Speaker 3: That's no, that's Ford. That's the genius idiot who's like, oh, yeah, Crampus tracks leading the Crampas.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I I love that he's kind of annoyed by, like the idea of this like seasonal themed villain. My tolerance for his fairytale nonsense had reached a rock bottom, he says.
Speaker 3: This is another one of my favorites. The glowing red pentagram opens a hole to the Crampus's lair. He says, on the bright side, it seemed very warm. On the downside, it looked like Hell. Like, hey, that's nice. You know, it was getting kind of cold in here. He opened up a portal well to Hell.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but it is warm.
Speaker 3: Just the way his brain works is not just he didn't just write it. As he opened a portal to Hell, he was like, oh, he opened a portal. It was warm. It led to Hell.
Speaker 1: He's there with a bunch of kids that the cramp is captured, and as they are all about to be dragged to hell him and these children. He's thinking about what his obituary would look like. He's thinking about himself.
Speaker 2: They're saved by Bluegrass, Yes.
Speaker 1: Of course, saved by a Fiddleford wielding the most powerful weapon in his arsenal, his banja.
Speaker 4: All grass gets kind of blue in the winter time.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: Fiddleford was so good for him, I know.
Speaker 1: And then at fittingly, I mean they he allows Fiddleford to play Grandma got run over by a reindeer.
Speaker 4: A sacrifice graver than any I have ever.
Speaker 2: I love the snowmen so much. They're so cute. I love that McGucket has a carrot, but Ford just has a potato for a nose.
Speaker 1: I mean that is his nose.
Speaker 2: It's accurate. Yeah, And then I.
Speaker 3: Love when Bill returns. He definitely knows it's Christmas and is with Ford because he says, Happy Halloween, catch any leprechat. So it's like he's choking, like I don't have an idea of holidays, but he definitely knows it is a holiday and showed up on a holiday on purpose, and he's just saying this to be like, whoops, I'm so silly. I don't know what day it is. I didn't know I was gone forever.
Speaker 2: You're so smart for I do want a Bill Ceipher elf on the shelf this year. I think that feels.
Speaker 4: Oh we did describe him as an elf on a shelf.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He also crucially describes Fiddleford as a third wheel, which kind of leads me to a question of how you know.
Speaker 3: The decision to frame Bill and Ford's relationship the way you did abusive obviously is the big decider, But the shippers are talking, so I want to talk about the idea of kind of almost too realistically at times displaying an abusive relationship, and how the amount that you're allowed to say or want to say on what.
Speaker 9: You think the nature of the relationship was the nature of the relationship in the show is clearly this guy who wants to be seen as a great scientist and is willing to risk everything for it and is at the end of his rope, and then a god comes from the sky and tells him everything he ever wanted to hear about himself and gives him incredible powers and access to things and answers to everything he's ever wanted. And you know, you just have to ask yourself when you're writing a story with these characters, like, Oh, how would that make you feel? If God came down and told you were special and hung out and was your buddy and was always whispering in your ear and you let them into your mind?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 9: I mean that's canon in the series he says he was free to come in and go in my mind as he pleases. You know what degree of intimacy is something like that? Can you imagine letting someone live inside your brain? And if you were a dream demon who would spent thousands of years trying to get one person to be your salvation and a time and time again they shut it up, and then suddenly somebody has the power to do it, how would that make you feel? You might feel like, what a sucker I finally got Look this one, he's finally got it. He's the biggest sucker of all. But then you're also feeling like, you know what God's name would I do without him? Nobody else can do this?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and because we see that string of failures, especially over history.
Speaker 9: Yes, and you could sort of imagine if your bill, You're like, well, in order to get this human to do everything I want, I'm going to have to lay it on thick. I'm going to have to play the part of somebody who is, you know, their best buddy, everything you want, anything you can imagine. I'm here for you. Nobody else understands you, and you need to like a cult leader. You need to keep them away from anyone else. Yeah, you need to separate them from other people. You need to keep them dependent on you. You need to sort of intentionally disappear every now and then so that they sort of grow to become addicted to your tension like a slot machine periodic engagement.
Speaker 1: And it only gets heavier as we see a whole spread of memorabilia from Ford's childhood and teen years, including Ford and Stan's Your Book photo, which heartbreakingly, Stanley is on one side with like his fist kind of pointed toward where Ford's photo is going to go, like they're planning to do a fist bump in their photos. And Stanley didn't graduate and Ford is just.
Speaker 4: Looking their blank like a muppet. No one's holding Yes.
Speaker 1: It looks like that must have been after graduation, that that was taken, So that was after Stanley left, was kicked out. And I also love Stanley's so we know what that Ford's you know catchphrase at astrepper Aspera, but that Stanley's your book quote is I can fit my whole fist in my mouth.
Speaker 2: What agen it's I say?
Speaker 3: For Stanley's senior stand out least likely to escape New Jersey. Ha ha.
Speaker 1: He got kicked out of New Jersey, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Booted from New Jersey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kicked out of so many states that his classmates never would have imagined.
Speaker 1: Embarrassingly, I could never figure I didn't figure out what the igro maddened anagram was.
Speaker 3: You did it, I thought, I thought when it went past dreamed god Win, I was like, well, that's the one, But nope, it is weird begeddon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's weird mcgeddon. I looked at that and immediately saw it. But I also am very good at jumbles, just the jumbles.
Speaker 3: I don't need no crosswords.
Speaker 1: So then we get into the real terror because the test of the portal happens. He Ford realizes that Bill is actually working against him, and we get this this.
Speaker 3: Battle of wills, of battle of bills.
Speaker 1: Yeah, battle of Bill's Bill going in and out of Ford's body, sabotaging himself and just all of the things that Ford has to do to keep his body safe and also somehow his mind sane.
Speaker 3: There was a version of kind of this story in Chourneal three for children. Yes, this is just straight up horror. He finds the writings of wax.
Speaker 2: Staff of the Anti Cipher Society.
Speaker 3: And is able to build his own Bill hunting suit where the gun he fired at Bill's hat originated.
Speaker 1: It's more advanced, but it looks just as stupid.
Speaker 2: I love it. It's great.
Speaker 3: On the next page, it was at this moment that I learned two interesting facts. Bill Cipher can possess corpses. Bill Ceipher could possess.
Speaker 2: Corpses exclamation mark.
Speaker 1: This is also the moment where I realized, oh, yeah, this is this is like a perfect book. It's like two thousand and seven Chuck Norris Meme levels of awesome, where it's like Bill's possessing zombie and then Ford says, I've missed you, and then he says, but miamim is getting better, and then he flasts the zomb bills and then it's oh yes, bacon and he grows a mustag.
Speaker 3: So good.
Speaker 4: This section is terrifying.
Speaker 3: Yes, like legitimately yeah.
Speaker 1: The post its with just this, you know, cliche.
Speaker 3: Not now I have a headache, which is referring to nothing, I guesses, Oh.
Speaker 1: My god, yes, Bill tapes a snake into the journal retaliation. Ford plays the world as small ever after for always, and he.
Speaker 3: Wakes up in position to commit suicide but not having done so.
Speaker 1: Oh god, yeah, I knew he could have made me jump, but he didn't. Why to send a message that I'm his toy. He could spare me or take my life away. Horrifying. We're not even at the worst part yet.
Speaker 2: No, although I will say these next pictures are delightful as a reader and horrifying for Ford.
Speaker 1: There's some levity in here because there's a I keep coughing up spiders. Why would he do this? I think is my favorite image of just Bill possessing Ford to just stick a nail through his hand, and then he's raising a hammer.
Speaker 3: And then there's one of him with a cop that is completely still, like a bucking up palace Yogan, Yeah, slapping his stubby and it's really red.
Speaker 2: I really love the sock puppet on the first Yeah, so good. I know that Emmy took the pictures of the polaroids that they used for this, and she said that on the backside of it. On the reverse side of the polaroid is Neil as a child flipping off the camera.
Speaker 1: So he's watching a recording that Bill has made while possessing Ford. He sees and I mean the terror alone of watching footage of like you, your body, you doing things that you know you didn't do. And he walks up to a payphone. He dials up Stanley and he basically says, I'm going to take a swim in the frozen lake tomorrow. I might not come back. I just want you to. If you never hear from me, it's because I never loved you. Buy And then it's revealed that he never actually called because the payphone was out of order. And then you know, as Ford is horrified watching this video, everything just goes black and he's in the mindscape again and Bill just kind of monologues about again that like when he appeared on the roof, classic abusive relationship type of talk where you know you're my property. Don't forget it. I can rewire your optic nerve so that the sky's below you play a tone that gets louder and louder until you bash in your own skull just to make it stop. I can delete memories randomly, just for fun. Maybe I already have. What do you want to remember? Your mother's face, your own name? Who are you? Anyway? And it's like he four describes it as though he's flicking on and off a light switch that he genuinely cannot remember his own name at Bill's whim. Basically, Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: I think that labeling this as traveling two dimensions meant for older readers was a good call, to say the least, to say the least. Oh my gosh, Yeah, this is horrifying.
Speaker 1: I fell to the ground on the verge of vomiting any second. My tendons would pop, my bones would splinter, And there's like there is a level of viscera to it, sure, but I think it is. It's the emotional implications that are the most horrible. Yeah, and then again he's reminded of a genuine relationship that he took for granted in Fiddleford and again in Stanley.
Speaker 3: And the way, uh I know, Alex, the way you described Fiddleford and Ford's relationship is sometimes you're in a school where there's only one person who gets your sense of humor and you become like two peas in a pot. At this picture of them that has since been torn up definitely shows us.
Speaker 1: That with Ford just covered in post its screaming. And that's the note really that that ends on is just a reflection on this is the relationship that Ford finds himself in now and these are the ones that are left broken in its wake. We leave on a note where it's right before he reaches out to Stan to have him come uh to the lap to help him. So then we go back to Bill's perspective and it really is night and day. You know, Bill just doesn't buy what he says is a sobs.
Speaker 3: He says, somes were just practical jokes, some light hazing to initiate him into my gang, just like the rest of my hench maniacs. Look, it's not my fault if mister tabletop Gaming rolled a zero on Sets of Humor and he calls it one little spat and he says, Fortsy swore eternal vengeance.
Speaker 9: You sort of wonder, Okay, we'll find Bill, and we're so close to getting the portal, and then my little pet here they start. You know that they're pulling their end of the You know, Magic got a pet dog in you're you know, you're you're playing a tug of war with a rope and they're pulling a little too hard. You know, you might snap at the dog and then it runs away, and then oh my god, what am I do? I got to put up lost posters?
Speaker 3: Where's my dog?
Speaker 9: Now? Was to be alone in this house? What am I gonna do? Like, you know, I think I was reading up a lot about cult leaders, Like before I wrote the book, I'm like obsessed with cults, but I like did a little bit more sort of cult research, and I was looking into, like, you know, cult leaders, like what the hell I'll have in common? Because I was sort of asking myself, you know, Okay, if I'm going to explore Bill's origins, I want to sort of what are what are people like this? What are they like? And sociopaths are terrible at being dumped. They just cannot handle it, Like it is so important to them that they have control over the other person that the moment you dump and go no contact with the sociopath, suddenly you're the most important person in the world to them because you're the one that got away. I was just sort of taking the relationships in the show and asking, Okay, well, if I spent more time with them, what does that look like? If I'm trying to be authentic to these voices and I'm trying to actually terrogate them, how would they act? And then you put your fingers down, your fingers type, and you're like, yep, that seems right.
Speaker 1: And it's that he allows us to see Ford's perspective on it, and then we snap back to Bill's perspective and he doesn't even realize how it makes him come off. He goes to you the readers, like, aren't I in the right?
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, I think he's spent so long rationalizing things in his mind. Again, this is an instance where you know, Bill says, you know.
Speaker 7: Yo, me, your buddies, You want to see journal three. I got to pay his Well, wait, did you see Ford at his lowest? This will be hilarious, you know, and you'll see all just see how how how important I.
Speaker 3: Was, and you'll see how he screwed me over.
Speaker 9: And he's so sort of so in his own delusion that he loses track of you know, I get I don't know if you guys watched the Jinks. Yeah, but like Bob Durst, you know, he got away with murder and all I had to do is keep his mouth shut. But they're like, want to do an interview, and he's like, well, I would love the attention. That would feel yeah cool, And then he then he talked talking to Bob Durst. Yeah, Caffy, we killed them all of course, and the burning. You know, oftentimes, especially cult leaders, especially late term cult leaders, like the later days of l Ron Hubbard.
Speaker 3: Have you listened to the Behind the Bastards on.
Speaker 4: Those oh yeah, yeah, yeah, Oh they're so good.
Speaker 3: Please to our listeners, please check out any Buying the Bastards episode about l Ron Hubbard.
Speaker 4: They're some of the best podcasts out there.
Speaker 9: But it's like these guys, they will often tell on themselves because they just no one is holding them accountable, so they'll just be kind of bored.
Speaker 3: El Rod Hubbard used to go around and tell people he barely know, you know, you really wanted to make money, Yeah, the way to do it would be the starter religion.
Speaker 9: Yeah yeah, yeah. Well I mean it's like, I mean Trump does this where he'll just be like rambling in the middle of a speech and he'll be like, oh God, which thing was it? Were some hateful dogs for the week? I can't remember.
Speaker 3: Well, there's one where he talks about just anti trans rhetoric and gets a huge applause in the crowd and goes, you, guys, aren't that passionate when I talk about the economy?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, really yeah, and he just like it, admits the trans thing is a grit to get the Republican Party favors, and he literally audience. He says, yeah, He's like.
Speaker 18: When I talk about taxes, you don't care, but I say all the bathrooms and you love it, So I keep talking about it like you literally admits that this means nothing to him, and that he's willing to trade like the safety and dignity of other human beings.
Speaker 9: For a brief, cheap applause, and he's giving away the game like in a normal world that would be the end of him. People say, wait a minute, he's just saying what he thinks we want to hear. So like these guys, when they're completely surrounded by their cult followers, they will say the thing right. So it's like, to me, it was in character. It's like Bill would never reveal this intentionally, but he would be so confident that it's a perfect phone call. Listen to it and it's like clearly not Yes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Bill goes for a few cold glasses of I'm Fine juice at Oh Sad Last Multidimensional pub and the rock bottom asteroid belt of the Vicious Spiral Nebula.
Speaker 1: He just wanted to go where everybody knew his name, Cyria gu It's.
Speaker 3: A drawing of Bill drinking a mug of beer that is larger than he.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: This next page is a call transcript for the dimensional Authority as Bill is conducting various disorderly drunken shenanigans.
Speaker 1: But not the fun kind like he was doing with the hench Maniacs earlier. This is like the breakup kind.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The majority of it is from the perspective of a woman working the drive through at Barrito Paradox intert Mexican restaurant. Think outside known logical.
Speaker 1: Authority, what's your emergency?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm working to try people do Burrito a Mexican restaurant, and they're just.
Speaker 3: And she's just horrified that there is this drunken customer who's causing all of these problems.
Speaker 1: Has anyone heard, ma'am.
Speaker 6: Imagine his body glitch through the ceiling and it's swimming around.
Speaker 8: There's a kid who's crying super louder because his head was.
Speaker 3: Ce reference to the old.
Speaker 2: Gushers commercials still lives in my nightmares.
Speaker 1: It's all starts when he orders one sixer please.
Speaker 8: He ordered one sick, so please. We're talking back, this doesn't make any sense, and.
Speaker 1: He started crying, which, to be fair, that's a normal customer service interaction. But then it gets weird.
Speaker 2: Sir, this is a burrito paradox TM.
Speaker 3: And then it ends with him crying because his mom won't pick him up and not understanding where everyone in his dimension went on.
Speaker 8: I want you to I want bade her school synd and forget again.
Speaker 1: Put the gross off.
Speaker 8: My sandwiches are all.
Speaker 14: I'm doing.
Speaker 8: You Beta, where did you all go? Where did hear that? Well?
Speaker 1: We did only spend a mere six hours in dimensional authority lock up for indecent exposure. So I guess the gloves and the boots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm obsessed with this train set on the next page.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh my god.
Speaker 2: This is all credited to Ian Morrel.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting that in that mild like two pages. Bill never really gets his dignity back through the entire rest of the book because this is kind of where he gets into like like if this were like a Ted talk or like a speech, like this is like the call to action at the end of the commercial, you know, because this is where he addresses you the reader, and he explains how he needs you to help him.
Speaker 3: He's like, well, now that I've earned your sympathy after showing it big an abuser and then crying as exactly himself that it didn't worry.
Speaker 1: It's like maybe if he hadn't gotten so like full of himself that he thought he could just show us the journal pages and we wouldn't think any different, because you know, you go through the human history segments and you feel like, oh, this he's just like this hapless guy who keeps failing at this goal.
Speaker 3: Evil for ust.
Speaker 1: Go, yeah, maybe you'd want to help this guy who just forrest comes throughout history and then we see how he affects forward and we're like, oh, no, you're horrible and also pathetic.
Speaker 9: The way that we connect to characters in fiction is like if they're making entertainment happen every time they're on screen, we just love them and we hate a character that makes entertainment stop. So what characters create entertainment? Bastards? And then we start to really relate to and sort of sympathize with them, and you find yourself being like, boy, I hope Walter White becomes the king pin of drugs and destroys all who get in his way, and you're like, no, he's a monster.
Speaker 3: Why did I say that?
Speaker 9: But when you're so compelling, And then when his wife is like, maybe you should stop selling meth, you're like, boo, get out of here, Skyler, And it's like.
Speaker 3: Wait, wait, wait, no, she's right, you shouldn't sell maths.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you shouldn't sell meth. But jeez, every time Barrin Krantz is on screen, I'm glued to the screen. So some part of me is weirdly bonding to this character. So to me, it was really important after you know, one hundred and eighty three pages or so of just goofy silly, Oh, Bill's making me laugh with his stupid jokes and he's arguing with himself and we've got cute little gags and no, now it's a cute little test like it's easy to forget he tried to kill Dipper and Mabel. So it's very important to me towards the end of the book to be like, Okay, Bill has done his best to make himself seem like a playful funness.
Speaker 3: He's a silly guy. He's a silly guy.
Speaker 9: I'm just a little I'm a little different. Get used to it.
Speaker 1: And his plan for this, you know, second coming of Weird Mageddon is also pretty convoluted.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's also just like he already got a weird Mageddon.
Speaker 1: Like and I think, you know, it's fascinating to me on a metal level because the clamoring for like, oh, season three, Season three, Season three, just you know how many fan fictions and animations there are which obviously are well done, you know, no shade to them.
Speaker 3: So Shelby, when I were in one.
Speaker 1: Exactly where like, oh, you know, you shake the statue's hand. What's gonna happen when you shake the statue's hand. The statue's gonna have Bill's gonna come back somehow, and it's gonna be the and it's gonna be that. And I think it's really interesting how this is kind of reflected in how just desperate Bill is for like, it's gonna be so good, you guys, We're gonna do the same thing that we did before, and it's gonna be even better. And I'm gonna win this time, and it's gonna be it's gonna be great and and and we're gonna get to do the same thing over and over and you know, it's the antithesis of the end of the series, which is like, you know, you can move on, or even the end of like Lost Legends for example, of like you can move on and enjoy your life outside of this, but Bill can't. Bill is stuck in this. Bill is is stuck on this goal.
Speaker 2: He's in arrested development.
Speaker 1: One might say, that's right. So essentially Bill's plan is to uh that he's gathered enough of your blood you the reader, to introduce mild delirium as he enters your mind. Uh, when you shake the statue's hand in gravity falls, you would trade places with him. And then he says this as though it's gonna be so easy, I use your meatmobile to fire up one of the Earth's remaining portals, so easy, Like wait a minute, there's only one that really got built and worked and it was destroyed. Like, yeah, how am I a random reader of this book supposed to do that? But he doesn't think about that. He only thinks about the following steps, where he wants to boot up a portal. He says he wants to turn the sky plaid crush the president into a fine paste. I mean, you know, broken clock twice a day, and he wants to let every city sent off the volcano split the earth in half. He wants to specifically kill the pines with sharp objects. That's maybe the most horrifying illustration in the book. Yeah, Hyperian pressed, what do you think about just an illustration of two dead children in a puddle of blood? Is that cool? Okay?
Speaker 9: Cool?
Speaker 1: Great? But yes, finally, the culmination of all of this.
Speaker 3: Is, in fact the pinata. I have a feeling that pinata means something. And this is in case you see a pata, I think that is going to come back. Thank you for bringing that up. Listen. That's the one rule of this podcast. Alex is always right.
Speaker 1: So yeah, he basically is making this desperate pitch to you. And then Ford interrupts again.
Speaker 3: And Ford comes to realize his family is not judging him for having been duped by this abuser. His family is just laughing at how sympathetic this guy is. Yeah, they're all just like, get out to this loser. Oh my god, don't worry Ford, You're saying, that's this guy. Just it's so so validating to people who have gone through experiences like what Ford has gone through.
Speaker 1: Like I said, yeah, and it's so on that metatextual level, so indicative of like, yeah, there's more to life than just doing gravity falls again. Yeah, yeah that Every family member gets their own turn to write in the book. After Ford, we get Mabel, who very accurately interprets the issues that Bill is dealing with similar to that of a breakup or let's face it, it is a break a breakup.
Speaker 3: She says, why don't you date someone else's uncle. She talks about breakup bangs.
Speaker 1: Like I think Bill would look great with breakup banks.
Speaker 2: I love that. She goes, uh, no, maybe stay away from uncles for a while.
Speaker 3: It's you gotta work.
Speaker 2: It's on you, work on you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And Dipper says, come at us again and I'll end you.
Speaker 1: And Mabel says that too, you. But Dipper is not concerned with the betterment of Bill's emotional stage dippers just like, hey, I'll kill you. I'll kill you dead.
Speaker 3: And then we got Stanley, which I know I've called other things some of my favorite lines in the book, but this is this is number one. It says, Look, the little wise guy, hain'te that complicated. I only met him once and he cried like a baby, and then I punched him to death. What more do you need to know?
Speaker 2: It's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: And that's how Bill's gotten away with it for you know, sixty five million years, right, is that he's never He's deliberately surrounded himself with people who were likes Stanley, with people who didn't think the way that the same way that he did, at least in terms of the con artist aspect, which is.
Speaker 2: Why like the Pines twins are stronger together, like in both in both segments of the Pines, like both different Pine twins, they're stronger together than separated. And I think that that's something that Bill always acknowledged, was that like, yeah, if you separate them, if you separate Mabel from Dipper, he can win, Yeah, but together you cannot win.
Speaker 1: And even at the end, Stanley is really the only member of this family that that truly makes Bill have a breakdown. Like even Ford, for all the tears that he's cried into his mugs at Oh Sadly's, no one makes him just freak out the way that Stanley does.
Speaker 3: Because he doesn't want anyone's interpretation of him to be I only met him once.
Speaker 4: He cried like a baby, and I punched him to death.
Speaker 3: He doesn't. That's not how he wants to be seen. It is how he is the home.
Speaker 2: Yes, I I really love this, like echo of a scream, that's like echoing through time over on page one ninety six in the regular edition, two thirteen in the limited edition.
Speaker 1: It's amazing the happening of his own like his eye becoming a mouth, becoming an I becoming a mouth illustration Do you know who that was?
Speaker 2: This is a mixture of Ian Emmy and Jeffrey Thompson.
Speaker 3: Stanley also pieces together something about everything in the book briar. Bill never once bragged about where he has been since the finale. Yes, yeah, which it's like it's Bill, so it's gotta suck.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah. And he also says, if Bill's so smart, how come we're so much happier than him, and also the fact that Stan ripped a dollar in half that shows how much he loves his family.
Speaker 2: And then moving on, I know that Theoloa the galaxy a Sholoa was Emmy. This page is credited to Alex Constat, but I know Alex Constead worked on some of the later pages, so this could be a combination of Alex possibly Christopher because the prisms are here and Emmy.
Speaker 1: It is really interesting looking at this page side by side with the Secret Page and the Time Pirates Treasure. How it's like framed very similarly with the aschlos.
Speaker 3: And there's similar rhymes here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: In Time Pirates Treasure it said a different form a different time, and here it says.
Speaker 8: To change your form will take some time.
Speaker 3: And it's this open endedness versus finality. But we get the ultimate twist. What happened to Bill after his prayer to the showload the end of Weird Pagetton three.
Speaker 2: It's a perfect ending.
Speaker 3: Bill is in therapy for all eternity.
Speaker 1: Therapy forever.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the therapism.
Speaker 3: Recommendation indefinite karmic rehabilitation, and then the infinity symbol.
Speaker 1: It's this therapy dimension outside of time.
Speaker 2: I think that the reveal that this is Bill's arts and crafts book during therapy.
Speaker 1: It also great, Yes, incredible.
Speaker 2: These pages are done by Joe pitt, Ian Worrel and Alex Constadt. I know Alex Constat helped to design the therapy group, but this picture over here, the one with like the therapy group, Ian posted on his instagram on August.
Speaker 1: Fourteen, Saturn neating his son. Yes, oh yes, it is obviously hilarious, but also the perfect punishment for you know, someone who just refuses to acknowledge any of his issues, who will constantly see the faults of other people and use that to his advantage, even see faults that aren't there, but when it comes to himself, just has no ability to reflect. You know, you can't even say that he isn't being given the chance, because we see that this is not an inherently infinite punishment. There are patients listed as ready to reincarnage, yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Have been cured, but I mean like seeing that Bill is unwilling to change his patterns, that instead he wants to fall back on something he wants to to escape and continue his patterns. He's gonna be in therapy infinitely if he doesn't change the patterns.
Speaker 1: It seems like there's this constant question in the fan base of like when will he figure it out? When will he get better? And it's I think the point of what Ford and the rest of the Pines are saying is that you know that shouldn't matter to you, focus on the people who love you and treat you well, rather than waiting on the rehabilitation of someone.
Speaker 2: Who may never be rehabilitating.
Speaker 1: If he ever gets there, it'll be long after you're dead. You know.
Speaker 3: He did say at one trillion in twelve he's a preteen. Yeah, so for him to have a whatever his species equivalent of a prefrontal cortex would take another one trillion in twelve years. Maybe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if he ever gets there, it'll be way too late to make amends with anyone he's wronged in this lifetime.
Speaker 3: But I also love the bit of foreshadowing where Herbert mudget wax Staff the Third says Bill should be in therapy. He'd hate that is after Herbert was himself admitted to a psych word, which meant he underwent therapy, and he was like, oh yeah, oh, I know who it hate his thought process storing therapy is ooh, I hope Bill experiences this one.
Speaker 1: And I mean, Alex, was this always like the idea you had in mind? Or was it something that sort of came up organically as you were writing this?
Speaker 9: So it's a whole section of the book that I started writing and I realized it didn't fit in, but I loved it so much that it was It was the trial of Bill Cipher. It was the idea that like, perhaps after his appeal to the ishologs, it wasn't straight to the therapism. It was perhaps some kind of trial. And I was writing a court stenographer's trial of Bill Cipher, and the judge is like, what do you have to show your new defense? And Bill Cipher's like.
Speaker 8: I would like to refer the audience to my shirt.
Speaker 9: And it's the I'm a little different, get used to it. Like that was literally his entire defense. And then like it cuts to his like legal team, which is just like ten Bill Cipher's.
Speaker 7: Like we thought the shirt was going to be a hit, like all arguing with each other.
Speaker 1: But the end was the end punishment always going to be a therapy forever? Was that?
Speaker 9: Yes, that seemed appropriate. I mean, it just seemed like all Bill wants is to be in control of his narrative and to have infinite freedom. So the worst thing that he could experience would be being treated condescendingly and trapped. And the irony was I'm like, it's not enough for him to be in prison, because all you have to do is escape. For prison, it's much worse if they say we'll let you out when you genuinely, sincerely experience true regret for the pain you've caused os. And it's like, oh, oh, all I have to do is experience true regret for what I've.
Speaker 1: Done, because it's not prison, I do. There is a way out.
Speaker 9: There is a way out. But he just has to grow.
Speaker 1: For him than the punishment.
Speaker 9: Yeah, And you know, here he is seeing Forward growing and everyone else growing, and it's so insulting to him that they're growing, and he's furious that anyone else would grow. And now he's like, you know, gosh, I wrote so many I did write maybe like eight pages of like full Silence of the Lambs, like his therapism Warden, like interviewing him and you know, kind of like the joker, like you know, tell us about your past. And yeah, he kept telling different stories. Oh my cast boy, I remember me and Pete Pauw.
Speaker 7: I was a riverboat captain and we were catching bullfrogs by the mississipp and.
Speaker 9: They'd be like, let's go again, Bill, tell us about your past.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, uh, you know on the South side of Chicago.
Speaker 9: You know, I was shooting some b ball after skull built. Tell us again, tell us about your past. Oh boy, Well, you know I had a magic purple cran then I could try anything. But one day, like like constantly, I was like, you know, there's only so many pages in the book.
Speaker 1: I also love the subtle design change of just giving him that scar that like crack of static across his body.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and just this ending this these final couple pages, or he was just repeating to himself, I'm fine, I'm fine. Someday someone will let me out, and then it's just an image of the statue.
Speaker 2: I think it's so interesting that this all ends with I'm fine, I'm fine. Where the book cover, like the book jacket of you being PiZZ Yes, yes, has that I'm fine, I'm fine helped me.
Speaker 1: You could read that final image of the statue with the glowing eye is like, that's so that's really something's going on there. That's that's meant to be terrifying. But I think, you know, the deconstruction of Bill in the book is that he's not really terrifying. He's kind of pathetic and gross and really gross. Yeah, so, sort of adjacent to all of this new Bill Cipher related material. On August seventeenth, twenty twenty four, Disney released the short How Not to Draw a Gruncle Stan, which is one in a series of shorts called How Not to Draw, which is always a drawing lesson where the artist is communicating with the character that they're drawing and something always goes wrong in a hilarious, wacky, silly way. And I'm sure this one is just as silly with jokes for kids.
Speaker 8: By Biggy Bounce just kidding.
Speaker 9: Wow, tough crowd, Now, who's fork?
Speaker 3: Do I have the pleasure of breaking?
Speaker 1: It's beautifully enemy.
Speaker 3: It's so weird to get high quality gravity falls out of aation to kill and just.
Speaker 1: And voiced voiced gravity falls animation as well, Like we haven't had that in such a long time. And so essentially the premise is that this artist is drawing Stan and then summons Bill seipher despite Stan's protest, of which is my favorite part, just the idea that like, yeah, everyone knows.
Speaker 3: This, like yeah, so so he offers Bill a dollar, which of course says the eye of Providence audit, which of course Bill can see through all the pictures of him in our world, and somehow manages to write the incantation on the dollar, and the artist, trying to figure out what it says, reads the entire thing.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, of course Bill shows up in the drawing, transports Stan himself into the dollar, which he's especially when he makes it one hundred of course. And also his method of getting the artist to shake his hand is great, where he literally just gets the artist to put his hand on the paper, then he moves onto the artist's hand and moves the hand himself.
Speaker 3: Yes, very high me the robot of him? Who is that the origin of shake and then the person just shakes is from Get Smart, where there's a character called himI, the robot who doesn't understand human norms.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, Yeah, so I guess for Bill, the handshake is a pretty flexible thing, and then he takes over they essentially swap places where the artist is now the drawing, and Bill, horrifically is now a three D model in our world, which I guess is what it must have looked like to the people of gravity Falls when Bill gained physical form. I mean, weird Mageddon. Yes, you know, I think it got a lot of people sort of speculating on maybe there is more gravity Falls that will happen in animation with the Book of Bill and this kind of releasing right on top of each other. But whether or not that actually means anything. I really enjoy this short.
Speaker 2: I will take any crumbs of gravity Falls that I can get, like anything.
Speaker 1: This is like a great crumb. And I even love the glitch at the end with the YouTube out of order thing is also Bill and has codes and stuff and uh huh, Well, thank you so much for taking the time to come here and possess this interdimensional and possessable demon. Yeah, yeah, and talk with us about the book. Yeah, it was really delightful.
Speaker 9: Thank you for you know, keeping the fires of the Fantom alive and you know, like you know, I said, this book is sort of an anniversary present to the fans, and I'm so glad they loved it.
Speaker 3: It's, in my honest opinion, the best gravity falls book.
Speaker 2: It is the best gravity falls book. Like, congrats, congrats, it is the best gravity falls book.
Speaker 9: Right, thank you worked very hard on it, So that's that means a lot to me.
Speaker 3: So we got a head down to the holl of conspiracies. We're going to talk about which lower things are true and which aren't. It would be a weird energy to have you there for that. Usually the energy of that is oh, we don't know, and it's like, well if someone there knows.
Speaker 9: Right, I could see it messing with the tone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yourself at home up here, feel free to play around with the exhibits and we'll see you later.
Speaker 9: Okay, Yeah, I see there's a there's like a fortune teller. I'm just gonna keep pressing buttons and seeing what little messages it spits out.
Speaker 1: It does have a tendency to turn people into Tom Hanks, so I would be careful it does do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, it finally made me big.
Speaker 9: I've been waiting so long.
Speaker 3: Tom Eggs is actually smaller than he was at the time. You know, aging does that to your bones.
Speaker 4: Catch on the rewind Alex.
Speaker 3: Thank you guys, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 8: Conspiracy.
Speaker 1: All right, so now we're here down in the Hall of con it looks really different.
Speaker 2: Someone definitely redecorated down here.
Speaker 3: Is this like a bed?
Speaker 1: I mean, it looks great, it looks it looks honestly better than it's ever looks.
Speaker 2: I hear footstets.
Speaker 1: What is happening?
Speaker 3: Act natural?
Speaker 1: Welcome to mystery shack, look back a nostalgic time. Wait, that's attracting too much attention.
Speaker 8: Oh shoot, I'm sorry. Guys, I thought you were and you went away. I don't usually come out when there's people out here.
Speaker 1: Is that who I think it is?
Speaker 3: That is indeed, Hannah hyper fixates of YouTube fame, fame, let's say fame.
Speaker 1: And we all gasp like the Scooby Doo gang. We all gasped, Hannah hyper fix.
Speaker 3: Ito, what are so wait? Hang on, if I'm following environmental storytelling properly, have you been living in the Hall of Conspiracies for the two years since we ended the podcast?
Speaker 1: Oh, you've been here the whole time.
Speaker 8: You know, rent is really expensive in the city, y'all. Uh, you know, the walls were here and they didn't have anyone living in them, and I figured you wouldn't mind if I just set up an entire YouTube studio inside them.
Speaker 3: That honestly would explain the conspiratorial wall of journal three pages that appears behind you in the video. The whole time, I was thinking, that looks just like the one of the whole conspiracies.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I can't believe I never put that together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, man, I.
Speaker 8: Hope you don't mind. I was using your security cameras as a camera because I can't really afford one.
Speaker 1: Oh that's where all the footage went.
Speaker 2: That explains it.
Speaker 3: And I've always said your videos put the ford in cant afford. But you are had a hyper fixate, so you do hyper fixate on gravity falls conspiracies. I guess, all things considered, this is the perfect home for you.
Speaker 4: I understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'm not mad about it. I'm just I'm surprised you're not mad? Are you the one who took my lunch out of the fridge.
Speaker 8: Well, there's not a lot of hood in these walls, if you think about it. It's actually really rude of y'all to not keep them socked like I have to use something.
Speaker 1: My god, I told you it wasn't me.
Speaker 3: I told you it was Shelby and I'm still I'm still believing that in spite of contrary evidence.
Speaker 1: See my next guess would have been Molly Lewis. But I'm I'm glad I didn't have to DM them about it.
Speaker 2: I mean, we can check the other wall.
Speaker 4: That David got suck in that one time.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're gonna, Hannah, you're gonna want to watch out. You're gonna want to watch out for that one wall, Hannah.
Speaker 2: The one with the David shaped hole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it can get a little glitchy.
Speaker 8: I'm avoiding it. And by the way, just so you know, you guys need new milk.
Speaker 3: Yours has gone back two years ago.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you shouldn't have tasted that.
Speaker 1: Can I have a slice of it?
Speaker 8: Though?
Speaker 3: Oh so, Hannah, Actually your timing is kind of perfect because we are on a tour right now. This is our episode on the Book of Bill, so we were actually about to cover a book of Bill codes and conspiracies, of which there are a lot And well, Hannah, why don't you you know you could tell the podcasting audience a bit more about yourself to sort of contextualize why you're you're so perfect for this particul task.
Speaker 8: Well, aside from the fact that I've been living in your walls for the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, which I'm still which I'm still wrapping my head around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still I'm still in the denial stage of grief, so I haven't processed it at all yet. I might be mad at you later though, we'll get there.
Speaker 8: Well later is better than now, but for now, Yes, I have had a hyperfixates and I consider myself a bit of an expert on the characters of gravity Falls. I have a YouTube channel on YouTube. If you can believe it.
Speaker 4: That's a good place for it.
Speaker 1: And if you can believe what it's called, you can believe the name of the channel.
Speaker 8: It's on a hyper Fixings, yes, where I go on and on in a multi hour video essays about the characterization, the themes, and the story of gravity Falls. And I am very happy to be here, even though I do feel a bit awkward about y'all discovering me like this.
Speaker 1: Well, it's okay, because your videos are awesome and if anybody out there hasn't seen them yet, you absolutely should.
Speaker 4: Ella you voiced in one of them, right, I did.
Speaker 8: Yes, you voiced from an article from an interview with Alex Church. I had you read out out a question that was asked of him.
Speaker 1: Yes, about Pacifica.
Speaker 8: Right, Yes, it was in a video of talking about abusive fatherhood and abusive parents in Gravity Falls and how the narrative kind of treats them. And this is this is from like a year and a half ago.
Speaker 1: And I think you also cited the podcast, right. I think you cited it in the Queer Coding video.
Speaker 3: Yes, in the Queer Queer representation the Queer Coding and Gravity Falls. You cited the podcast when talking about Grenda.
Speaker 8: Yes, I did.
Speaker 4: And then I was recently in your video.
Speaker 8: A defense of Stanford pods.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, now where Shelby is my question?
Speaker 2: That's true in the basement currently, I.
Speaker 3: Mean, why haven't you gotten Shelby on one of these yet?
Speaker 8: Well, Shelby's going to be busy by new milk for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess that's a good reason for me to not be there.
Speaker 3: So why don't we start by talking about both some of the more interesting cryptograms that are revealed by decoding the Book of Bill, as well as the new ciphers that were added to the ouvra of gravity falls, ciphers and cryptograms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like it's it's been a while since we've had a new one, I think. I mean it's been a while since we have had new gravity falls anything, and now we have approximately a million.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, that sounds cool.
Speaker 1: Do you want to talk a bit about the color substitution cipher because this is one of the ones where you know, and it's kind of like what we did with the Visionaire cipher where we were walked through how that works. But there are a lot of ciphers here where like season one, I understood all of it. Then you get to season two, I'm like, all right, I don't wanna let the other fans kind of handle this particular arena of the the mystery solving because I don't understand this.
Speaker 3: And here it just gets so heavy at times with some of these.
Speaker 1: And this one is bad for me because I'm a little color blind. So it's like this, why are there these gray blocks of nothing in the and we're expected to decode them?
Speaker 4: So what is the color substitution cipher?
Speaker 8: The car substitution cipher is so cool because it consists of these card blocks hidden on certain pages. But part of the reason why a bunch of multi card blocks don't stand out as strange or as a possible code is because the book of Bill is full of these pages with this glitchy effect kind of symbolic of the damage and the corruption that Bill Cipher has endured since the end of the show. And so these blocks just kind of blend in.
Speaker 1: I think to me aesthetically, they remind me the most of like the TV test pattern is what I would compare them for sure.
Speaker 8: Ye say the same thing.
Speaker 7: It comes to Bill be right back, so many questions.
Speaker 8: Yes, they also accompany a static pattern, and a lot of the pages that they show up on just visually you have like this like static noise pattern right next to it, and so it doesn't feel that out of place. But shout out by the way to the Grammy falls separated a discord. A lot of people over there and on Twitter in general kind of put together that the patterns seem to echo where letters would be in different phrases. And while the blocks are not separated with spaces, which would you know, kind of make it a bit more obvious that these are words and phrases, they still managed to brute force it and put together that it's a cipher and they made keys and they spread them around.
Speaker 1: It is wild, insane, And I know you have particular trauma with decoding blocks hid in book pages.
Speaker 8: Please don't say the R word around me.
Speaker 3: Rectangles and you're going to talk more on that later. But we also have coffee rings, which we have all leads to one specific cryptogram. So we'll get more on that when we decode that one.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I know that there was a later edition adding more contest.
Speaker 8: Really yeah, yes, if I could just say about that real quick, I can't believe the coffee rings are a freaking code and a rectangles aren't. God damn it.
Speaker 3: It's insane.
Speaker 1: It got to the point I think it was. I think it was cipher Hunt where I that initial page that people had to decode, where I realized, not only is there nothing that Hersh and the other folks behind Gravity Falls will not make into a code, there is nothing that the fans will not figure out is a code. He really can't take anything for granted. There will be like like flex of like eraser shavings or something on a page, and will you're like, Okay, this is actually a code if you look at the length of each shaving and multiply it by the diameter of the overall shape that the shavings create. Like, it really is unreal to me, and I admire it.
Speaker 3: The funny part of that also is, you know, you get fans that are hyper vigilant and just looking for things where there where there might not be any there.
Speaker 1: But that more often than not that pays off. In any other fandom, people would be constantly grasping at straws, but here it's like, no, the straw leads to a very delicious beverage every time straws.
Speaker 3: Yeah, keep that in mind for earlier in this podcast hint, hint. But Chrissy from our discord server helped us kind of understand the episode Time Codes and the Coffee Rings. So here is the explanation of the episode Time Codes Cipher that she had written for us. Yes, because yeah, Ella had asked and she explained it, and the explanation she gave was first number.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess see how it did. Let's explain how it appears first, right, like how it's Yes, Okay.
Speaker 2: If I might be wrong about this, but I'm pretty sure that the color substitution cipher is mostly in regards to Euclidia, specifically.
Speaker 1: On the Silly Straws pages, which is the page that you skip to if you decide not to take the deal.
Speaker 2: Yes, page seventy seven.
Speaker 1: Yes, the only numbered page. Yes, there are strings of just numbers, and they do have spaces, but beyond that, there's no like. They are all three or four numbers each, like digits each, and there's no apparent pattern or way to brute force it. So there has to be some sort of method to it. And you know now that I'm looking at them in hindsight, all of the the first parts of the numbers in each sort of set starts with either a one or a two, notably no.
Speaker 4: Three, and then the second parts only go up to twenty.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Well, and I assume that that's the jumping off point that people got the rest from. So what Chrissy in our discord explained to me is that in each set there's two numbers. In the first number, the first digit is going to represent the season of gravity falls, so either one or two, and all the other digits that's going to represent the episode number, and then the second number is going to have the last two digits are always going to be the seconds of the time code in the actual episode, like where in the episode to skip two, and the rest of the digits before it is like the minutes, and then you are meant to take each of those number sets and grab the word that is spoken by the characters at that particular timestamp. So, first example is the first number is two to fifteen, so that is season two, episode fifteen, and the next number is eight five eight, so that is eight minutes fifty eight seconds. That gets you the word twisted because it is in the last Maple corn Ford saying.
Speaker 9: I know he's older than our galaxy and far more twisted me.
Speaker 1: Literally is that exact second?
Speaker 3: Join me on my single one hundred toilet dreams picture everybody want to scam some sweet bucks or potential pizza.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: That's from the Strongbad Email Rock Opera where they ask if he's ever written a rock opera and he says, not only have I written it, but you've all heard all of it separately because it cost that's one word from each of my emails. Yes, and then literally did write a song that way, And it's complete gibberish because it's hard to forbe go here thoughts out of that.
Speaker 13: Join my single hundred toilet pigture everybody, some sweet box book, never mind double paints.
Speaker 3: But I guess where Matt failed, his former co worker succeeded.
Speaker 8: I just want to point out, by the way that on this silly straw page, like with all these numbers, all these first glance nonsensical numbers, the literal next page says this book has no codes, which is so funny to me.
Speaker 3: It's also such a coincidence because this podcast has no codes, none at all.
Speaker 1: It's true established that earlier.
Speaker 3: That's right, What is happening here?
Speaker 4: Do you want to read the next new cipher?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 3: Hannah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, sure, it's the therapism one right.
Speaker 1: Right, which is another substitution cipher. So it's symbols that each correlate. Yes, And I guess that was also that must have also just been brute forest, right.
Speaker 8: I believe at least some of it was. I think, you know, we talked about how like a lot of these were brute forests or over analyzed by the fan them. Several of these were over analyzed by the fandom even before the Book of Bill came out, or at least they were recognized in some you know, brute force crack from the images on the Gus Oregon Park's Twitter account or various images that like were leaked in advance made their way around town, and you know, people started to like brute force from those. Though of course that wasn't a lot to pull from. Most of the book managed to say pretty secret until it was actually released. But yeah, Therapism, if I remember correctly, is just a substitution cipher. And I'm trying to remember what page has the actual key for it. There's just so many freaking pages in this book. So yeah, yeah, let's keep moving. Okay.
Speaker 2: It also includes an alchemic substitution cipher.
Speaker 3: Another one of those just a is this be as this sort of deals? This next one is to me what the color one is to uh ella. It's an autostereogram, one of those images that just looks like a bunch of repeating blocks.
Speaker 4: But if you cross your eyes, it's.
Speaker 3: In three D. I have very poor visual vestibular skills. I don't have complete monocular vision.
Speaker 4: I see the world in three D.
Speaker 3: But think of it like if you have a three DS there's that three D slider if you turn it all the way up, obviously it's in three D. If you turn it all the way down, obviously it's in two D. I'm like, when you don't push it all the way down, or you don't hear that click, but it's otherwise all the way down where it's in three D if you pay attention very closely.
Speaker 4: That's how I see the world. So like when I.
Speaker 3: See three D movies, I have to focus really hard to justify paying the extra ticket price, or it just looks the same to me. So I used to go to when I was learning to ride a bike when I was seventeen, I had to go to vision therapy to do so, and I used to have to look at these autostereograms all the time for therapy reasons, to try to get my motion sickness and my depth perception a little better under control.
Speaker 4: And I'm very out of practice.
Speaker 3: I was able to cross my eyes and make the image three D, but I wasn't able to do it well enough to see what the heck I was looking at.
Speaker 2: Are these like the magic eye puzzles?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, those always have given me a head.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm just glad that Candy's favorite color is in.
Speaker 3: This book magic magic eye poster. What's your favorite color?
Speaker 8: Gravity faves magic Poster.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I was able to I'm able to do it because I have so much practice, because I used to have to do it for hours every Thursday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, apparently this one just translates to the word no, and I'm I don't know how you're supposed to see it.
Speaker 3: Okay, I got that the second letter was oh, but I could not tell what else I was looking at.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you're getting that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't see anything.
Speaker 3: I mean, don't look at it in the Google Dog. It's bigger in the actual book. But you do have to cross your eyes until signs that are the same line up with each other. So until it's no long like keep crossing your eyes and keep adjusting it until it's no longer blurry.
Speaker 4: It's hard.
Speaker 3: I guess my disability means I've been forced to do it more often, which is funny.
Speaker 1: Okay, I think I understand the process.
Speaker 2: I will say that, like, when I'm looking at those, it's the same problem that I have when I'm looking at repeated numbers. I just I can't fathom them.
Speaker 3: And then there are two more substitution ciphers that have been introduced that not only unlock codes in the book, but unlock codes in earlier works.
Speaker 1: Which which is and this is one of my favorite things about this book, hands down, is that codes are retroactively like they're backwards compatible with the show itself and it's that and also the episode time codes code I think I love is that it enhances your viewing of the show and it references to the actual series. Maybe that's why they had the quick time bar in that other book. It was supposed to establish that you're looking at the time codese. Think about it like that, it's all connected.
Speaker 4: What's this first one here?
Speaker 2: The first one that was given was the Rune substitution cipher, which is seen in Dipper segment in the theme song and translates to hey dip so when.
Speaker 3: He's holding up the candle and there's just some like etchings there. That's the same cipher as revealed in book A Bill, which is like crazy because that's we only know what that says fourteen years later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was no.
Speaker 2: Key for it wild, there was no indicator.
Speaker 8: Notably, there are some interesting things with the substitution cipher. For one, thing. The Hey dip only works if some of the cipher or if some of the runes are actually combined, like they need to be touching for it to work. But also there are other instances in Grabby Balls runes do show up. They show up in Ford's cabin in a Talatoo Stands like a ton of times. He just has these stone tablets covered in ruins just laying around.
Speaker 3: Translated.
Speaker 8: No, they don't match the same alphabet. Oh yeah, I talk about this in my Talatoo Stands video which has already come out.
Speaker 1: That's insane or maybe it's maybe it's just an maybe it's just an ancient version of key smashing.
Speaker 8: Yes of course, but yeah, no, those runs actually match. Like I think it's called old Barthick runs. They have a specific name for that runic alphabet, and it is an actual uh Norse alphabet, but it doesn't actually mean anything.
Speaker 3: So it is ancient keys. It literally is ancient key smashing.
Speaker 2: Did we put them through like the Caesar cipher or anything? Just see if it's an extra ciphered cipher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. Could be combined.
Speaker 8: No, nothing I can find, especially because you know the runes that we get in the Book of Bill. Some of them do match old actual runes, but they have different letters or these different symbols, at least as far as I could tell then the actual ones that you know, the Vikings used. They just look similar aesthetically. Yeah, as far as them being put through any kind of substitution cipher or anything like that, or a cesarean cipher, I I am going to say that I don't think they were thinking that deep about it. And even the hay dip in the theme song, because the symbols only match if they're touching. That was absolutely like a retroactive thing that they did. But I'm so glad they did it because it's so cool.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was gonna I was gonna say, you could easily make the argument that that it wasn't planned, but rather they they saw these unsolved things and they thought, let's build an alphabet around that.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think knowing the way that hersh operates and the way that the crew operates, I could see it being either explanation just as easily. Because for as much as they have kind of made stuff to retroactively fit, they've also thought through a lot of stuff that they've held intentionally you know, close to the vest so as not to give away with their you know, because how many times in interviews has he said like, well, I were holding onto that maybe this kind of stuff, maybe we want to do something with it later.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I remember where I'm sorry, I remember where the therapism code is. It's not in the book. It's actually one of this one of the circle. Oh my god, I got a Google to double check myself here, but I believe it's one of the circles in this Yes, yes, this is so cool. This is another instance of one of those things.
Speaker 1: So hard.
Speaker 8: I'm excited there.
Speaker 1: No, thank you for swearing because we get to use our sensor.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 4: And speaking of swearing, ella, oh yes.
Speaker 1: This maybe is my favorite like reveal that the Book of Bill brought about in general. Toward the end of the book, in Ford's notes, he has some photographs from his childhood with Stanley, and they have a picture something called a Brose Secret Code, which just has a bunch of symbols that you would associate with a comic book character swearing things like that. Not only do they use it later in the book at various points, but we saw those exact symbols in season two, episode seven, Society of the Blind Eye, when McGucket is hamboning apparently what is a swear? At the reveal that the Blind Eye Society wiped Lazy Susan's memory and we never knew what exactly he said, but thanks to the code, which you know, lines up to the alphabet with twenty six symbols, we know that he said, oh Disney, which again could have been retroactively made to fit, but it would be so funny.
Speaker 3: Well, so this one, this one I'm not sure about because there there isn't a sixth letter swear? Is there?
Speaker 8: Uh? Not one in English I could think of, unless there's noose.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 8: I grew up a pretty goody two shoes.
Speaker 4: Maybe there's side that have been developing.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean there's sure, Oh yeah, true, but no, it's it's easy to understand that, given their frustrations with Disney S and P that maybe that was always intended to be what he said.
Speaker 3: Disney.
Speaker 4: Disney itself is a swear.
Speaker 1: In the Gravity Falls Universe. Yes, Disney itself is a swear, so this isn't.
Speaker 3: In Lost Legends, when either Dicky or Ascott finally learns to swear. Is it? This is not true? That does not unlock that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me gum shoes.
Speaker 3: What is that?
Speaker 2: She's the Jersey devil. That's raill. I'd be excited if I wasn't so terrified. Where Hey, look who finally learned to swear?
Speaker 1: I actually am not sure.
Speaker 3: I am not sure either.
Speaker 8: God, I gotta pull that up and don't chat here.
Speaker 1: Well, I have my copy right up on the shelf here.
Speaker 8: We might be doing a live decoding.
Speaker 1: Yes, we are doing a live attempt at decoding right now.
Speaker 8: But we'll do it live.
Speaker 1: We'll do it live.
Speaker 3: Well, we've done that before in Tourists Trapped and in Love God.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's true. Mm hmmmmm.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: The first letter is S. This is very promising. The first letter is S, yes, but the second letter is B, so I don't I don't think we're actually getting anywhere though.
Speaker 4: Let's just say S B.
Speaker 8: Maybe it needs to be substituted.
Speaker 1: Third letter is E. I think the last letter is Z. That's a good swear, Yeah, he says SZ S B easy. There's no visible exclamation mark on the Bros Secret Code like page. But I think where Z is looks like it's the top of an exclamation mark. So I think he says spez, yeahz.
Speaker 3: No is that is that encoded?
Speaker 1: To be fair, that's his first time swearing, so he, you know, is the best one he knew.
Speaker 8: If somebody called me a spez, I would assume it's a slur.
Speaker 3: It's very close to a slur.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. It was also the it was also the sixties. It was the sixties, so it's a different times.
Speaker 3: It's a one vowel off from being a slur.
Speaker 1: It's in the neighborhood.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the slur. I'd never entering the slur neighborhood. I try to route around it when I'm driving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean growing up there was kind of it was rough.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, why.
Speaker 1: Well, I can't say yeah. So, uh, now that we've established I'm pretty sure that's all of the types of ciphers, right, Hannah, Are we missing any well? Okay, so there is, we.
Speaker 3: Are missing them, but our aim is getting better.
Speaker 1: There's a translatable barcode I think right on the intro page to the book.
Speaker 8: It'slf there is. I think it translates to I think it's on the MA the scene page, and I believe it translates to hay NERD.
Speaker 3: We have a written down a bunch of the more important codes that are revealed here.
Speaker 1: That might be important, right, because there are like fifty codes in this book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we we picked a best of sort of selection here. So on the how to Cheat Death page in Bill's substitution cipher is written, regrowing limbs is axis art, but can he regrow a ripped out heart?
Speaker 1: I don't know if that is from Bill's perspective, because I don't know if he would admit.
Speaker 3: To Eh, Okay, then I'll give it another take.
Speaker 1: No, maybe he's talking about I guess he could be talking about someone else. I guess I assumed that that was referring to Bill.
Speaker 3: Do you want me to give another take where I see it as me?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 8: Sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, regrowing limbs is axis art? But can he regrow a ripped out heart?
Speaker 1: You know? Yeah, you're reading on It has given me this sort of mini theory of like, is this referring to Bill himself, having you know, gone through this horrible thing that he did and having a ripped out heart? Or is it Bill talking about just something gruesome that he would do to someone else? So many questions, so many questions. So going back to the silly Straws page, the code that we talked about earlier is actually just one piece of the overall code on that page. The rest are all in the Caesar cipher. They're sort of wiggling down the silly straws as Bill goes way. But the rest are in the Caesar cipher, and you put them all together, and they read this little poem, I doctor of a different kind who wants to make his patient blind. The doctor says three SIPs a day will make the visions go away. Fussy eater baby Billy wouldn't drink unless it's silly, twisted out of shape. After the kill, the ghosts of his family are haunting him still.
Speaker 3: And you know what I especially love about this page in particular, is I have previously said to Ella the most gravity falls joke.
Speaker 4: In Edgar Wright's Cornetto trilogy is.
Speaker 3: Why do you think I'll drink with this crazy straw? Not so crazy now?
Speaker 1: With ah? Yes, so I haven't connect back to conspiracies is great as well, as you know, I Doctor of a different kind. Hearkens back to TJ. ECKBERGA pages will probably never come up again.
Speaker 2: No, probably, probably not on the codes. There are no codes in this book page. There's a circle in a tree with an alphabet around it. Throughout the book there are stains made by coffee. If you line them up with the tree alphabet circle, there are droplets corresponding to the position of the letters. Putting all the coffee stains in the book together, you get his dimension now deceased, Scalene and Euclid rest in peace.
Speaker 3: So I didn't understand this one at all. Chrissy explained it and provided a useful little graphic here for me to help understand it. And then I did write that explanation myself, but the graphic helped a lots of thanks again, Chrisy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, how does it correspond to the position?
Speaker 3: There are drops, so's it's the ones that go outside of the circle.
Speaker 4: Anything in the circle is fine.
Speaker 3: But there are drops that kind of like extend outwards like a little lie. And yeah, if you look at the image here, those drops have read dots on them to just show where they are. And that is a coffee stain lined up with the tree circle.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: When I first saw that that circle, I knew, you know, obviously that feels like a cipher wheel. But I think I went back to my dipper in Mabel's Guide to Mystery NonStop Fun. I grabbed the cipher wheel from that. I was like, is this part of it? Is it going back to this book? But no, that's just that's just more letters.
Speaker 8: You had the spirit, But no, not in that case.
Speaker 1: We like your hood spa thank you. I I like it too.
Speaker 8: Also, are we allowed to talk about like what it actually says?
Speaker 1: Sure, scaling and.
Speaker 8: You could rest in peace these like it's been basically interpreted widely by the fandom that Scalen and Euclid are the names of Bill's parents, of his mom and dad. But you know, scaling and Euclid, for those of you who might not know, are terms from geometry. And you know you're going to see a lot of terminology about geometry when we talk about like Bill's dimension, at least in the fan theory and speculation circles.
Speaker 3: I love the idea that one of Bill's parents is named Euclid of Euclid.
Speaker 8: Yes, I mean, you know, people name their kids after locations all the time, Like I know people named Brooklyn.
Speaker 1: That's true, you know, from Brooklyn I'm more thinking about, like, how did if these are the common names, how did they land on Bill?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what kills me, uncon child, that's true, he has an upward facing.
Speaker 3: I sure in Euclidia, William is like naming your kid Zeppo or whatever, Like that's that weird celebrity name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, moon Unit, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like William really, well, we call him Bill for sure.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, keep away from me.
Speaker 8: It's like, but it's spelled like a g in there, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's michaela with a bunch of g's and h's, lomanzolo ron.
Speaker 4: Jelo, Yes, shytheed. Do we have to censor shythied?
Speaker 1: If I hear one more silly ass name, this entire dimension is going to feel.
Speaker 3: My Rath, Salien and Euclid are kind of like the hippies of Euclidia, which is why Bill grew up so open minded to the conspiratorial idea of a third dimension.
Speaker 8: Right, Yeah, absolutely, they didn't stile their bouncing baby boy.
Speaker 3: We'll call him William William Mischief Cipher.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I wonder is that is it a family name, Cipher or well?
Speaker 3: He did also say it's a dimensional user name in the a m A. So maybe he has just a normal triangle name in Euclidia and and this is like like that's his name.
Speaker 1: Maybe silly Billy though kind of or baby Billy.
Speaker 2: He was baby Billy La La la la haw.
Speaker 3: Know you want to read this next one?
Speaker 8: Yes, absolutely so alert from time Baby. On this page we see a mass alert going out from time Baby to the rest of his people who follow him, basically saying watch out for this rogue rapscallion. It has a picture of Bill Cipher's.
Speaker 1: Mugshot very much in the vein of the Barbie and Can meme from the Barbie movie.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Baby, it really does look like I do love the side view of Bill and he just looks like a line.
Speaker 1: Yes, but again he's got the kind of like he has the eye though is three D, which sort of hearkens to his origin.
Speaker 8: Yeah, of having that special eye.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I do love that the words criminal, cidistic, yellow, and guilty were re arranged to say I'm a silly guy, which is very funny. But the code itself on the side of the page says in the room Cipher loan survivor of the Euclidian massacre.
Speaker 1: I don't know who could have done that, but I'm glad I survive.
Speaker 8: Yeah, this does hearken on the page where he talks about his early years, and he has this like scrambled up message about what happened when he quote put on a show for his family.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Well, he essentially says on that page, if there was no enough but him.
Speaker 3: On the Shaman page again, in the therapism cipher, he writes, which.
Speaker 1: Hench Maniac rited me out, which I believe is implying it Jessel Brahm, Yes, the oracle. Yes, yeah, I also knows the oracle that she was scribbled out of the hench Maniacs bios page, implying she was once part of the group. But then obviously we see her in Journal three and she is against Bill, So this might have been a moment where she informed the Shaman that Bill was deceiving him, and then the shaman established the zodiac through that.
Speaker 8: When you go to the page where her face is scribbled out, there's also a message scribbled out, but fans have kind of put together. The message next to her name says the smartest one figured out horizontal dimensional portals, Way too smart? Who needs her? Too many eyes? Anyways, and I just love that amazing.
Speaker 1: That's like, it's not quite a cipher, but it's just seeing fast as scribbles. It's kind of a cipher. Well, Shelby, you should probably yeah, Shelby should talk about this one.
Speaker 2: All right. So on the witch Crow page, there's a Rune cipher that translates to curse Wittabane.
Speaker 1: But what does that mean?
Speaker 2: As your local owl House expert. In the owl House universe, Philip and Caleb Whittebane are the two brothers who found the portal between the human world and the world of the Titans. So, according to TV tropes Wild Masse Guessing, since Bill was fostering witchcraft among the Puritans in colonial New England, and since Caleb and Philip Whittebane were witch hunters in colonial New England, it's very probable that one of the Wittabane brothers, most likely Philip, came into Bill's purview while hunting witches that Bill had empowered.
Speaker 3: I just want to say real quick if I'm following.
Speaker 4: So on the there's a whole history.
Speaker 3: Section in the book that talks about before Ford, the people who Bill had try to build a portal for him. But the interesting thing about the Witchcraft page is Bill Ford of the day for du jour At that point, Mary Dower Thatch, we don't. It's the only one. We don't read about the falling out. We don't know how far she got into making a portal. It just ends with you know, she likes Bill and we hear no more about her.
Speaker 1: She likes Vinegar Peeves.
Speaker 3: Yes, but what you're saying is it is in the same location and time period, and there is a character present that discovered a portal, which is kind of insane, and you would understand the implications about that more than I would well.
Speaker 1: As the first documented the collector cosplayer.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was the first collector cosplayer. I'm actually I'm also one of the foremost Witebane experts.
Speaker 3: I have a fantastic Witebane comic dub compilation on your YouTube.
Speaker 8: You are to wit Abane what I am to Stanford Fines, very true.
Speaker 2: The foremost expert is probably Magpie, who does the Witta ban like. He's in the process of animating all of the portraits from Hollow Mine. Oh so in the owl House there is in Hollow Mind there are all of these pictures in the background which are Philip Whittebane's life, that's Emperor Bellos's life. Spoilers if you haven't seen it, Sorry, this is not an owl House spoiler free podcast. What but Within? So the only thing that we knew about the Widobanes prior to season three really was these pictures in Belos's mind and the episode where Loose meets Philip Whittebine who wrote the journal that she is going through. So everything with speculation up until I want to say thanks to thanks to them. Yeah, there are two brothers who lived in New England who were led over to the Boiling Aisles by a witch. But the two boys were orphaned. So my theory is that the wit a Bane that Bill is cursing was essentially the mother of the Witdobane brothers, not one of the brothers.
Speaker 3: That Mary Dower Thatch was the mom, because she did say she had been like gathering other women to kind of listen to these yes, empowering ideas, the ideas.
Speaker 2: Yes, and the boys are orphaned, and it may it's implied that their parents were convicted of witchcraft and that's why they're orphaned. And so Caleb was old enough to know that joining in the witch hunts was the safest way to keep them safe once they moved from their original village to a later village. But Philip was young enough to buy into the nonsense, which is why he is so bad in the Owl House.
Speaker 8: I absolutely love that.
Speaker 3: So, but also you're saying that the portal that Mary Dower thatch built is how Emperor Bellows got to the boiling aisles. So Bill caused the entire plot of owl Houses.
Speaker 2: It is highly possible, but they moved. I'm pretty sure that they moved to a different village, so the portal is not necessary the same one. But the implications of Bill's actions put Philip on the path to becoming the like terrible conservative Christian he is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's more about impacting the characters.
Speaker 1: So if they ever actually built a portal the Witch.
Speaker 3: Well, we don't know.
Speaker 4: We don't know.
Speaker 3: We did not get far enough in Mary Dower Thatchy's story to know how trying to build a portal went. And yeah, it almost seems like that's intentional.
Speaker 8: Actually, what I will say about that is something that I find really funny. So Bill has in all of the men's lives that he's interacted, he has tried to manipulate them. He's tried to like ruined our lives functionally so that he can get a portal and come into our world. Whereas, at least the way he writes it, when he interacts with these Puritans, he essentially walked into their lives and when you live like this and basically empowered them, like it's the equivalent of a Burger going into your home to steal your TV and seeing that you not only have no tea, but you have no furniture, and then goes, ah, man, I can't rob you. So I'm actually not even convinced that he made Mary dawerth that should make him a portal. Okay, it looks, at least going by this page.
Speaker 4: He taught her about feminism.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, he wanted to inject some chaos and liberation into the lives of repressed people, which you know he would view that kind of puritanical repression as like the most repugnant thing.
Speaker 4: Because it's the opposite of chaos.
Speaker 8: Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's likely they didn't even get that far. And I think that Mary and both Witabine parents were probably together.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, what he says when he interacts with the women is, Look, you know how I feel about human suffering. It is funny, but.
Speaker 1: Some death.
Speaker 8: So he basically gives them some real cult spells. He did just kind of like feel bad for them. And then what the women essentially did, at least according to the letter that's in here, written by Mary dowert Thatch, is that they started drinking boxed wine and having a book club. And honestly I love that for them. Yes, we love feminism.
Speaker 1: Hey like, so did did Bill like invent witches at least in the human world?
Speaker 3: No, because they let us say that New England was not the first witch trials there were, uh.
Speaker 1: England. But he made it so that there were real witches.
Speaker 2: I mean, if the Owl House and this and gravity Falls are connected, parts of the boiling aisles have been spilling over for generations for years.
Speaker 1: Oh oh, okay, okay, guys, as well as this hold on, if I may say this.
Speaker 4: In Journal three, there is implied cross.
Speaker 3: Continuity with Rick and Morty. In Lost Legends, there is implied cross continuity with both Rick and already.
Speaker 4: An owl House and that Book of Bill.
Speaker 3: There is only applied cross continuity with Owl House. And that's just a fun progression.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not not for fun reasons.
Speaker 3: No, we we know why. Yeah.
Speaker 8: What I will say though about like these pages, I do wish I do, Like I don't have a lot of complaints about the Book of Bill, but I do wish that there was another woman that Bill interacted with, because I would love to see like an eat, like a woman scientist that was like fooled by Bill. I think it would be so cool. Uh, the only woman that he interacts with.
Speaker 1: Come on, give Thurbert Wagstaff a few years to discover estrogen.
Speaker 8: Exactly exactly who learned a lot about themselves in the multiverse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh well you were going to say about that this is the first like full on acknowledgment of the owl House universe in something that is indisputably cannoned.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we were talking about this earlier because you know, I wanted postera in the crawl space in face it the first story in Lost Legends that could just be they felt like drawing Eta like it doesn't necessarily imply anything. And Stan does go into detail about his ex wife in a hidden DVD commentary and is definitely describing Ida, but that is also a DVD commentary of an already existing episode. It is not necessarily new, objectively canon gravity Falls material. It might be canon, but it is part of an existing episode.
Speaker 1: You can also make the argument that it's not if you wanted to, but this you really can't.
Speaker 8: But there is also like in the Owl House Itda she says that when she goes into the human realm, she goes under the name Marylyn.
Speaker 3: So that is the first implication of the cross continuity being canon in Owl House. But this is kind of the first implication in an official standalone Gravity Falls work characters from the Owlhouse existing in the gravity Falls universe, well.
Speaker 1: Certainly characters other than Da as well. I think is important.
Speaker 3: Sure that is true, because yeah, we only have gotten implications of Ida from Lost Legends in the commentary, and.
Speaker 2: I think that like the fact that they're choosing the wind A Banes as part of that lore when we had to guess so much of the Widow Bane lore prior to season three, is like a really cool way.
Speaker 1: To stay right. That's like a huge puzzle piece for the Owl House fans just casually dropped it in a Gravity Falls But yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like, why was there a portal there? Well, maybe someone was going around that area at the time, trying to get people to build portals.
Speaker 1: Yes, do you want to build a portal?
Speaker 3: Well, I need to make that video now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's got to be. It's gotta be Bill going around knocking on everybody's.
Speaker 4: Door, and each verse is a different one of these characters.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, let me tell you, I've definitely seen a comic floating around of love is an open door with Ford and Bill.
Speaker 1: Yes, oh, sixer, if only there was someone out there who loved you.
Speaker 19: Oh no, it would be great to do that, because just about every Disney show has a secret portal in it at this point, basically like including duct tails and like like they all got portals.
Speaker 1: Like the other dimension.
Speaker 11: Hat.
Speaker 1: So now we're getting into the Lost Journal three pages that Stanford wrote. So on the Lost in the Woods page, when referring to the there's a waitress at the diner that Ford is talking to and not really making much of a connection with in the author's symbol cipher, he writes Stanley could have made her laugh, which is so sad, so sad.
Speaker 8: I have so many feelings about this, y'all. I please stop me for ranting, but I'm gonna start ranting, no, I go for it, Ran. You know, like we get a lot about how Stan felt this like intense insecurity, and this like the feeling is self conscious about not making it to the level that Ford is, at least academically. We get so much evidence that like Ford, at least by his teachers at least in the context of schoolwork, got to get all these accolades and got all this recognition, and Stan felt insecure. Right, We don't get as much or at least Ford doesn't as emit as much in the pages of Journal three that we got in you know, the original Journal three or in the series itself, because Ford is such a proud man. Ford doesn't like to talk about his falls. So seeing this in the context of a page that was you know, hypothetically ripped out of Journal three at some point, Yeah, a page where he specifically says.
Speaker 3: Like about how he struggles to socially connect with people, Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It's also I guess that we don't we don't see him in this element in the series. We don't see him in the real world. In the show itself, we see him like in the lab missions when he.
Speaker 8: Comes out of the portal, he is a badass. And also he doesn't need to interact with other people because he's living in the basement and he's trying to figure out the rift and YadA YadA YadA.
Speaker 3: And on official government documents, he only exists once. True, there's already a Stanford going around in town.
Speaker 1: But if we had like a Slice of Life episode with Stanford, we'd see all the kind of deficit that.
Speaker 2: He has socially, Yeah.
Speaker 1: In pretty much every other arena of life other than other than the particular niche that he is an expert in.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I talk a lot about this in my Hotel to Stands video. But I tell too, Stands is so break neck pace that we don't get a lot of small, characterized nation moments where we just get to know the characters because we only have thirty minutes, chop chop. We got to move on. We got to talk about what's happening next, because we need to fit the life stories of two sixty plus year old men into this episode. But this is one of those.
Speaker 1: Quiet person But you said sexy, and I was like, you're right, but I mean, you're true, but six year old I was.
Speaker 8: Just gonna say this moment of Ford just kind of sitting in the cafe feeling awkward and feeling bad about not being able to like really make a connection with other people, and writing even in code, not even in a way where other people could read it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, not only on.
Speaker 8: The bottom of this page. Doesn't say Stanley could have made her laugh, but at the top of the page he writes in code six fingered freak he feels this and it just like it breaks my heart.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that, like Taylor two stance shows us pretty clearly that Ford is an introvert and stan is an extrovert. And I think that, like when they were together, they could sort of complete each other, but separate they have their weaknesses, and Ford tends to be pretty narcissistic, especially when he's talking about himself in his journals, so he would not speak in anything other than code about his insecurities, I think.
Speaker 1: But there's like this three second clip of Ford getting like turned down by a girl at a school dance and then Stanley instantly knows how to cheer him up, like he get like, Ford gets yes yeah, and then Stanley comes over splashes himself.
Speaker 8: There is a tweet by Alex Hirsch, where he did say that the thing that Ford said to make that girl throw punch on him is a pickup line that he got from stan which is kind of funny.
Speaker 2: That's funny. He doesn't have the delivery that Stan does.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and she just kind of looks like, what did you just say? And then throws punch.
Speaker 1: On was like and then her her aim improved.
Speaker 3: So, according to Stanley, the most important thing about comedy is timing yes exactly.
Speaker 8: On the my music be page, in a Therapism cipher, we get a description of a tattoo that Bill tries to convince Ford to get that he says he's not quite sure of Bill apparently, according to Ford, told him that the tattoo means why. However, if you translate it, it says in the therapism cipher, if lost, return to Bill, which is hot one funny, but two knowing that Ford does get stuck in the multi verse and does have wanted posters with Bill trying to find him is pretty good planning on Bill's part.
Speaker 3: It's also really hot.
Speaker 8: It is yeah, there's Is this a good time to talk about their relationship or are we are we? Are we glossing over that for the Haull go for it. It's very apparent about all of these journal three pages that Ford and Bill have this very like I'm not gonna specifically say romance because it could be interpreted in a million different ways, but at least romance coded or using language similar to romantic language.
Speaker 1: I mean, it's the closest, it's the only close relationship with someone he's not related to, that exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: On the pages written by the rest of Fort's family. That is the only way Mabel knows how to interpret it. She's like, Okay, so you can't get over your breakup.
Speaker 8: So you're like a needy x quote unquote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if there is more complexity here to how to define it, it is not overt or understandable enough to anyone else that calling it anything but a romance is useful according to Mabel, who's always correct.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and granted, you know Mabel interprets. Mabel obviously romanticizes a lot of stuff, but also, you know, a twelve year old understands what's going on well.
Speaker 2: I mean, and I'll also say that I personally have had friendship breakups that have essentially been a relationship breakup, So you don't have to read the romance into it, but it's more fun Chip.
Speaker 8: Yes, regardless of whether it's romantic or platonic or just devotional muse and you know, muse e relation coding that we're looking at here. It was absolutely this very toxic, very abusive dynamic. When they do quote unquote break up. You know, we have Bill saying things to Forward in the following pages, things like you're my property, don't forget it. Yeah, like you're nothing without me, things like admit it, you love this, And it's so so like I mean, it is black and white. It is incredibly clear that that is what they are going for.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a textbook abusive relationship.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean talk about it.
Speaker 3: It is literally a textbook abusive relationship. Well, I have a friend who actually was in an abusive marriage and he read book of Bill recently and was so vindicated by the pages by Ford's family laughing and saying, don't fall for this. This is ridiculous, and so vindicated by the punishment of eternal therapy.
Speaker 4: Yes, as well as you know, you talk a lot.
Speaker 3: In your videos about and in the one that I was in about how this abusive controlling figure is how Ford was interpreted by a lot of a fandom. The fandom, but here we see a lot of those shortcomings were enhanced by being on the receiving side of that, not on being on the giving side of that.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I as someone who is active in a fandom. In twenty fifteen, twenty sixteen, there was a big surge of people who were very angry at Ford, and I was one of the people who was always defending him, and I still will to this day. He is and I say this all the time, my baby girl. But the thing about Ford is that I knew back then, even if it wasn't said as explicitly as it is here, that it felt like this was kind of what someone would act like if they were in an abusive dynamic. And as someone who is myself a victim or you know, I was once a victim of an abusive relationship that I got out of, it was really validating and very vindicating to see this because I kind of look back at a lot of the old arguments and a lot of the ways people were talking about him was as though he was acting maliciously or purposefully cruel, and that's just not something that's backed up by this book years later, in the Book of Bill, and get this evidence that Bill really really tormented Board. Of course he's not going to trust others. Of course he's going to be off playing.
Speaker 3: Like getting bitten by a trapped animal.
Speaker 8: Yes, exactly.
Speaker 1: From the jump. It's like, I'm not really sure why people were surprised, because even before we you know, even before we tied it to this particular relationship or even Bill in general, we know from the jump. We know from episode one that whoever wrote this book went mad and you know, was driven into this intense paranoia and literally wrote in giant letters trust to know what because of some mysterious he that he's trying to avoid. Yes, that is stuff that we know from episode one.
Speaker 8: You know, people forget that when they see, you know, someone punched stand in the face, followed by a thirty minute explanation of all Stan's trauma, and so, you know, sometimes fandom has short memory.
Speaker 1: It's true. It's yeah, I get that. I get that.
Speaker 3: What have I walked up to you punched you in the face, and that spent thirty minutes telling your family.
Speaker 8: I have a joke in my video along the lines of you know if on episode one of Torust Trapped, you know of Gravity Falls and Tourist Trapped, stan walked up to Dipper, punched him in a face, and walked away, and then Dipper stood at the carava telling us every awful thing that has ever happened to him in his life. Yeah, you might feel different about Stanley for the rest of the series, and that's kind of what we got.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we wouldn't like stan Well.
Speaker 2: And I'll say that having recorded the first like we've done the character work on the first couple pages of this for the book of Bill recording that we're working on, Ford is definitely in a place where he's falling back on the abusive relationship he was in with Bill just having this book present in his presence.
Speaker 3: We've been recording the Ford pages and he's like, Hey, don't even read a word of this book, And every time it comes back he's like, yeah, I know, I've been reading it too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's very much like falling back into that relationship with Bill Well.
Speaker 1: And also the fact that this is how the book appears to Ford, that he doesn't appear that way to anyone else.
Speaker 3: Right, because we know it appears to sus it's just he's ungruvet or.
Speaker 8: All Ford even says in one of the pages where he pops back in, he says, I understand the appeal of this. Maybe you're like me and you're just attracted to the things that hurt you and that broke my heart.
Speaker 3: I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to circle back to the is it romantic question, and I'm going to try to phrase this in a the way that sounds the least bad. I think the closer they get into the more explicitly like abusive language of the like you're my property, don't forget it, and you're nothing without me, et cetera. Yeah, the more they do that, the easier it is. I think to read what came before as romantic. Obviously toxic.
Speaker 3: Miss Spears would have some words about this relationship.
Speaker 1: Yes, but I think they lean into it in a way that suggests like a level of passion that you wouldn't all be.
Speaker 8: Clear in my interpretation, I definitely do think it's romantic. I think that I want to leave wiggle room because there's a lot of people have different interpretations of it, and you know, these characters are meaningful to a lot of people.
Speaker 3: And also I've been to wiggle rooms and they're a blast, so you should leave those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, don't get rid of all the wiggle rooms.
Speaker 8: If not romantic, it's at least devotional, you.
Speaker 1: Know, That's what I mean. And I think that the more passionate that language gets, even though it's obviously in a terrible way, Yeah, the more you're inclined to. And it also brings to mind like fusion in Steven Universe, where sometimes that's romantic, sometimes that even has adult like connotations, but sometimes it's platonic, sometimes it's familial. But when it is romantic, and particularly when it's abusive and toxic, there is that similar language that he's used very pointedly to talk about.
Speaker 3: It, and you should pledge to the Patreon for more analysis on that.
Speaker 4: In our new Paywalt series, that's.
Speaker 1: True, although we won't get there for like ten years.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll get there in ten years.
Speaker 3: No, two years before lap stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I don't know what side of TikTok you guys are on, but there's been a fair amount of discussion about a new show called Kevin Kin f Himself that I've been CEO.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, well that's been out for a bit, but I think it's on Netflix now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been out for a bit. I have it's on my list now that I'm seeing all this discourse. But pretty much one of the things I've heard said about it recently was they don't reveal Kevin's backstory because they don't want to humanize the abuser, because there is so much of being in an abusive relationship where you justify the actions of the abuser in order to give them a pass on things. And so it feels like a lot of this book is Bill giving you that backstory so that you sympathize with him in his abusive relationships and humanize him. But like, he's still an abuser. It doesn't matter how terrible his backstory is.
Speaker 8: He follows up this entire section with, oh, obviously I was joking. Come on, if you really believe that stuff about the I Steeler.
Speaker 2: Experiment, so gas lighting, Yeah.
Speaker 8: No, it's text book abuse. It's so messy.
Speaker 1: Literally, Yeah, I mean I beat this book up and that was textbook abuse.
Speaker 3: And finally, the most important hidden code of them all. But to end things on a lighter note, yes, in Stanley's letter written in his secret code from when they were children, is love you bro?
Speaker 8: Oh my gosh, yes, it is so sweet to see them still using them, like still using.
Speaker 1: This code, specifically that it's written in the context of you think he's writing a swear. He says, what a bunch of love you bro?
Speaker 8: Yeah. I think it's so funny. The other instance of like seeing a code written by one of these two men when they're grown up is actually, like, you know, the photograph with Philford and Ford from college, the one that's ripped up and found on Philipford's desk. If you look at the whiteboard on that page, the whiteboard behind college h Ford has a code written in this that says miss you like obviously talking about stamp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so that's another code that got unlocked by the book.
Speaker 8: Then uh no, no, this is in the book. It's on the page with Ford and Fiddle. Oh yeah, the one at backups more, the one that he finds in Philford's desk that says try to for get written on it with a mustache Fiddle. Yes, you know. Any instance of these men as adults after they're falling out using this code brings a tear.
Speaker 11: To my eye.
Speaker 8: I think it's so endearing. I think it's so great.
Speaker 1: For sure, it's made me realize, like we never actually saw fiddle Ford at backups more. I love that they gave him that message.
Speaker 8: Yeah, sah, it's so good. It's so funny and the cowboy boots it's amazing.
Speaker 3: So uh, given the amount of time it has been since we even entered the Hall of Conspiracies, you could recognize that uh hata eye prefixates is overqualified. U. Usually we have a trial run with a guest where we take them on a tour before they can graduate the docent and give a tour themselves.
Speaker 1: Considering you've been living here, I think you're pretty familiar.
Speaker 4: You know this place better than us the past two years.
Speaker 8: Yes, I actually watch your training videos in the back for fun when I'm bored. I don't have cable.
Speaker 3: Did you appreciate the little the little hip hop beats though we had to kind of explain some of the things going on around.
Speaker 8: I did those were really good beats?
Speaker 1: Like how to properly pour a coffee?
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and we don't know why that'll be important for the Hall of Conspiracy with how much coffee I drink.
Speaker 2: It is, well, the coffee stains so now it makes sense.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, yeah, it's because of the coffee stands. So you can lead us this time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you actually prepared some theories to talk about today.
Speaker 1: I have to just kind of be along for the ride and and react to it. Can we still say react.
Speaker 3: A ten year old joke?
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it's it's like a fine wine.
Speaker 8: Oh yes, I am so excited to talk about these. I want to say that I found that different codes and different theories show up on different circles. And I am mostly on Tumblr for tatoes, so.
Speaker 1: That's where we sourced a lot of our early stuff. Anyway.
Speaker 3: It's from dog with a blog Conspiracies dot tumblr dot com.
Speaker 1: Of Chris Aviary.
Speaker 8: I guess I'll just jump right in right unless I need anything else.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go.
Speaker 8: First up on the list, we have what we're calling the Mandible theory, put together by longtime grabby balls band Anista Rose on Tumblr. This theory is focused on the specifics of how exactly Bill destroyed his home world, focusing on his description of the dimensions destruction as being done by quote a monster, as well as other elements to essentially predict that Bill might have physically devoured his own dimension. There are plenty of mentions of Bill devouring people and worlds, and lots of imagery, both in Where Beginning when he's seeing taking a bite out of the Earth and the projected plans, and in the Book of Bill, when a page mentions the souls of someone that Bill devoured begging to be heard and reaching out.
Speaker 3: Oh, Grembler, right, and in Don't Dimention It when Ford describes accidentally eating a planet when he entered the multiverse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but when I thought of that, so that last atom that he had under his hat is like I couldn't finish it.
Speaker 8: He's still full. He's saving that for later, the way you might serve, the way you might save crumbs and a beard. The real meat and potatoes of the theory, though, is that the souls of the devoured are still in Bill Cipher, driving him insane, the same way that like the souls of people are mentioned on some pages of the book as like still existing there and reaching out to the reader. There is a code in the multi colored squares on a page that says he sleeps, he never dreams, but somehow still he hears their screams. Oh my god, wait, I don't know if that's actually a type in the I don't know if that's the type in the screamshot. Yes, in their scream Yes. I have been lovingly calling this the Bill Vore theory.
Speaker 1: So I'm guessing it's called mandibles because that's one of the visible words on his redacted account of his u.
Speaker 8: On the redacted account of him destroying his home dimension of euclidia.
Speaker 1: I like this because the idea of like, oh, he still hears the screams, like you know, you interpret that initially maybe as metaphorical as as trauma as PTSD, but Bill will never admit that he needs help, so he's like, oh, no, that's indigestion exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like he starts hearing the scream of his parents and he's like, oh, where's the pepto?
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly.
Speaker 8: And then if you do want to take an engsty line with this, like you can interpret it as both a traumatic like you know, he still hears their screams, but it could also be he does physically constantly here there screams driving him to madness.
Speaker 3: M Yeah, you know, I'm surprised that prevents him from sleeping. It sounds like it would kind of create a nice kind of white noise.
Speaker 2: He mixed that with with the Shepherd's Rising Shepherd.
Speaker 8: Yeah, exactly, his favorite song a banger.
Speaker 3: In Bill Seipher's interview with himself, he asks is it true you're the biological father of Phineas from Phineas and Ferb and responds to his own query with this interview is over, clearly dodging the question, as well as possibly being a reference to the time Strongbad interviewed himself because it ends exactly that same way. So from the TV Trip's Wild Mast Guessing page, they write on whether or not Bill is Phineas Flynn's father. Likely not. It's doubtful that the show's creator would go the route of Phineas being the anti Christ, which, if you don't know, is the idea of a virgin birth conceived by a woman possessed by a demon or satan, depending on if you're watching Supernatural or not, which when are you not?
Speaker 2: I am she's your mother, but the thing inside of her, the thing that you're talking to, it a demon.
Speaker 8: Notably, this isn't the only person that the book implies he might be the biological father.
Speaker 3: Of That is true.
Speaker 8: On the page opposite of the Love page. When asked Bill, have you ever been in love? He says, sure, how are your mom high?
Speaker 1: For me?
Speaker 8: By the way, have you taken a GADA test recently? Well, obviously it's not a virgin birth. We've established Bill mom.
Speaker 3: You're right? If Bill mom, that doesn't fall into anti Christ's territory.
Speaker 2: True.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cut, did Charlie take clip?
Speaker 3: Did you? What did you love?
Speaker 2: What do you mean.
Speaker 1: Cipher? Well, he did read the book.
Speaker 4: He did read the book.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's that's why Charlie Day read the book to find out.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so that also means that, you know, because claiming he's someone's father is something he has done for literally everyone.
Speaker 4: This could be taken with a grade of salt.
Speaker 3: But if we did actually want to seriously discuss it as a theory.
Speaker 1: I guess for context we should say that on Phineas and Ferb, Phineas is uh, Phineas and Ferb are are blended family. Ferb's dad already had Ferb and married Phineas's mom, who already had Candice in Phineas. We have never met or known about either Ferb's mom or Phineas's dad.
Speaker 3: There has been no allusion to Phineas's biological father in the actual show, as well as Jeff Swampy Marsh and Dan Pop and Meyer have basically built all of the major characters in that show around simple shapes because they know how cool it was as a kid to be able to draw your favorite characters from cartoons, and Phineas is specifically based on the triangle shape.
Speaker 1: There were theories because for a brief time, Dufen Schmertz dated Phineas' mom, there were theories that he was the father, but that has been thoroughly debunked deep yeah, debunked by Dan Pop and Meyern.
Speaker 3: But this one has not. However, it has been a little bunked haha. Disney Channel.
Speaker 1: Oh, longest running Disney Channel series references.
Speaker 3: We'll be right back to bunked on Disney Channel. Terrible unwatchable show. It's long. It's the longest running series because they're getting really good numbers because people walk away from their TV the second it turns on, so they'd just been you know, it's always on for people, yeah, they say, or more likely, Phineas's biological father made a deal with Bill to make him the smartest man on earth, only for things to go horribly wrong. However, traces of that deal still linger in Phineas, who is abnormally intelligent for his age.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes he is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and his inferbs inventions practically defiologic. And they say alternatively, Bill is the reason he doesn't want to talk about it because he's disgusted at how positive and friendly Phineas is. We're manipulating. It was impossible, as Phineas didn't have any insecurities or ego that Bill could pray on the lines of anti anti Christ.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, I love this, Hey, Firb, what are we gonna do today? I don't know, how about build a multi dimensional portal?
Speaker 1: Well, they could do that in an afternoon. In fact, they feel.
Speaker 2: Like they've done that.
Speaker 1: Well they have. They helped Dofen Schmertz. They helped and repair his other dimensionator.
Speaker 8: Yeah, oh my god, Bill, you got to them.
Speaker 3: This means Phideas and SEUs could join a book club of Like, so, what did you think of the book of Bill SEUs? I don't know it just it just said he's uncorruptible. Yeah, I saw that too.
Speaker 1: Okay, Hannah, are you ready to dive into rectangles? Rectangles?
Speaker 8: Jesus Christ. Yeah, I'm ready.
Speaker 3: This is so harm you said, Jesus. I'm ready. You should say Antichrist.
Speaker 8: Where's that SpongeBob meme of what I've got?
Speaker 3: Rectangles?
Speaker 8: You know, I'm gonna talk about a few of the rectangles based theories, But first, I guess I gotta explain what rectangles I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: So a rectangle is a throwing myself out a window.
Speaker 4: We don't have those in here?
Speaker 8: Yeah, no, no, no, I made some. I'm doing some renovations. Where are you gone?
Speaker 3: Renovations? By which do you mean punching?
Speaker 8: I've been punching a hole in the wall every time I see a rectangle?
Speaker 4: Why is that tell us about your your madness?
Speaker 8: So in Journal three, on the margins of many of the pages, if not most of them, we have these series of red rectangles. These rectangles sometimes form patterns that repeat, sometimes they don't. Sometimes they have random letters stuck in between them. Notably, and I think this is important to say that I had an interview with Alex Hirsh where I asked him about the rectangles, and he said that the ones in Journal three, to his knowledge, did not have any specific meaning. Even though I had a friend of mine with the linguistics degree look at them, and she said that it looks like it echoes English. Like I cannot tell y'all how many things I tried.
Speaker 1: If he hadn't said, to his knowledge, yes that opened worms.
Speaker 8: Now, notably the ill trader of Journal three, or at least one of the illustrators and agans all this did design these rectangles. I have a tweeted at him and haven't gotten a response, probably because I'm a crazy person who won't shut up about these rectangles.
Speaker 1: You've thrown a few bricks through his windows with messages.
Speaker 3: No, they've made a few windows in his windows.
Speaker 8: Exactly, I'm doing renovations. If you're listening to this, do not bother Andy. He's probably a very nice man, even though he has, and this is true, ruined my life.
Speaker 3: If you're listening to this, don't bother anyone that's not nice.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 1: And if you're listening to this and you are, Andy, I'm bothering you.
Speaker 2: Andy, tell me that.
Speaker 8: The rectangles.
Speaker 16: Listen.
Speaker 3: You should never bother anyone.
Speaker 8: But exactly, exactly, I've tried everything with the rectangles and Journal three, if you can think of it, I have tried it. I've talked about this in a video on my channel where I interview else her, So you can go check that out if you want to see a list of everything I've tried. Yes, that being said the same way that the ruins that we see in this series before the Book of Bill don't have any meaning and now retroactively do have a meaning assigned to them, like the hey dip in the theme song. A lot of people, and by a lot of people, I mean me and a bunch of and a handful of theorists are really wondering if the rectangles that we see on the margins of the Lost Journal three pages in the Book of Bill give retroactive meaning in one way or another to the pages in Journal three, or if they have their own meaning asside to them, especially because there are some marked differences between these rectangles and the rectangles in the first book. For one thing, a lot of the patterns repeat way more than they used to.
Speaker 3: Can I just say real quick, I have a blast listening to this. This is like I get to hear a new Mystery Shack look back episodecorn.
Speaker 8: I'm so glad, I'm very I'm very honored. Like that y'all like my nonsensical ramblings about geometric shape.
Speaker 4: You are the perfect, perfect guests for this segment.
Speaker 3: That is why we moved you onto this, because we've already been recording for an hour and a half and I don't want to waste that much Alex's time with this. But this is this is what your time was designed for.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much. I appreciate it. So some differences between these rectangles and the ones that we got in Journal three. First of all, the patterns repeat way more often than the ones that we saw in Journal three. In Journal three, I was able to split apart and maybe parse out twenty five different patterns. Some of them repeated a bunch, some of them didn't. In the book of Bill patterns, I can only detect about maybe ten or eleven different ones, and a couple of them we just see a bunch of times. The other thing is that they have different cutters. So the majority of the rectangles are red. But then on the pages related to a winter break and Christmas time and the holidays, we see some that are red and green, and they might be thinking, well, yeah, Hannah, those are obviously themed after Christmas.
Speaker 3: You don't Christmas Adult is a watch for me every year.
Speaker 8: Obviously they're not red and green for any specific reason. But then explain to me a hypothetical person being mean to me.
Speaker 2: I mean, yes, I'm gonna grab my journal that I made real quick, because I made my journal based off of the screenshots of ones just on the show, and I think the rectangles are in that so I think that it's been part of the design from the beginning, whether they mean something or not.
Speaker 8: Oh, but that's the thing, Like, well, no, the thing is we even see it in the show itself, like that's where they come from. And yeah, that's also notable. They didn't originate in Journal three, the physical copy. They were in the Journal three pages that we saw in the series specifically. Now a lot of those were carried over into pages, but there's a couple of pages in Journal three that don't quite match the rectangle pattern that we saw on pages in the series of Journal three. It gets really confusing when I keep talking about it, So if you need clarification, please stop me at any point. But what I was getting at is that at one point, specifically on the page with the bill proof suits, and I believe on the page after that, we have a series of bluish purple like more blue rectangles for some reason, and I don't know why those are blue.
Speaker 3: By the way, blue is and green are a separate spectrum of light from red. Ella just wanted to let you know. So this makes sense going forward.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that's an interesting theory too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, looking at the journal that I made, the only page that has rectangles on it from the show at the very least prior to season two is the page that's the portal. Everything else is rectangleless.
Speaker 8: We see a lot of them in season two though.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's why I said, like prior to season two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, so there was an addition made basically towards the end of production of season one and then carried over into season two, possibly for no reason, which is insane.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's possible that Andygan's office joined in in season two. I would need to check that, though, No.
Speaker 3: He did the illustrations in the journal in season one.
Speaker 8: Okay, we're at with three options here. The first option is that Alex Hirsch lied to me and that they do have a secret meeting and I just haven't figured them out yet. I'm gonna sign step this, and you know, assume that Alex is telling the truth when he tells me that, to his knowledge, they don't have any meaning.
Speaker 3: I do want to point out in regards to that, though, someone else asked Alex about the rectangles on Twitter, and then Alex responded with a gift from the ballad of Buster scrugs of someone at the gallows looking over next to them and going first time and tagged.
Speaker 8: Yes, yeah, you know, I can give you some information that I just I haven't really talked about very publicly, but I think it's fine. So in my Alex Hirsch interview, I made puppets of all the speakers, including myself, that Gfan and Alex Hirsch, Yes and I. Because I couldn't use footage from the interview and I wanted her to be a visual element. I made a puppet show of the entire interview and it was.
Speaker 1: Very fun and it was glorious.
Speaker 8: Thank you very much. I was left in the end with this like Muppet style puppet of Alex Hirsch just on my shelf looking at me all the time, and I asked Alex if he wanted it, and I sent it over to him. I sent it with a pamphlet. The pamphlet included tips on how not to get stabbed by some of the pins that were keeping the eyebrows in there, and I'll say some information on how it was cursed and maybe killed someone. I'm not really sure. It was a fun pamphlet, fun to put to either.
Speaker 3: I just want to say, pamphlets that included us on how not to get stabbed are some of my favorite pamphlets because I personally not actually that much a fan of getting stabbed.
Speaker 8: You know, they're my favorite because I'm not a fan of getting sued by Alix hursh oh i am.
Speaker 1: I think that's really sweet too, because I know, you know, Alex in the days where he was actually able to respond to fan mail, I feel like that's kind of the style he would write in this kind of like mini arg oh, you know, like there's a code on this page and stuff like that, like this is just for you. You know, that's that's really cute.
Speaker 8: When Alex did see the pamphlet, he noticed that on the back of it, I had a bunch of rectangles. I just I put a bunch of on it, like you know, in a pattern echoing journal.
Speaker 1: Do you know how it feel.
Speaker 8: He told me that it was funny and charming, and he added on and by the way, I love the rectangles, and I said thanks. I felt probably similar to the way that Dipper felt when in the Book of Bill he writes in a code to Bill, see it's not that hard. I can write codes too, only you replace CDEs with nonsensical rectangles. And then he said, he said to me, and I felt a lot like how to hyperfixates reading it going do they mean something? This time? I'm saying, go. I had Alex try to figure it out. So you know, that's probably like the funnest interrection I've ever had with anyone. But I do think, and I do want to be clear. I do think that he's telling the truth what he says. That he does not know the meaning of them.
Speaker 1: But that doesn't mean that they have no meaning.
Speaker 8: Well, yeah, like because famously, didn't the guy who made the pixel art for Susan the real Girl hide in a cup?
Speaker 3: Paul Robertson hid binary in there.
Speaker 8: That's I said, space sham two. Yeah, And these are codes that Alex didn't even know about. Alex has also said.
Speaker 9: I don't think that he would have done that just because he never has before. Occasionally there will be like a gag in one of those journals, in a symbol or something that Andy did put in that's just like a goofy joke where people are like, this joke doesn't seem in character.
Speaker 8: I'm like, ah Andy, So whether or not they have any meaning, the jury is out, but I'm leaning toward snow.
Speaker 1: Now. As for the.
Speaker 8: Book of Bill, there are a few theories on what they could mean. I'm sorry we've talked so much about the rectangles and haven't even gotten to the theories yet, but I think all that was helpful information.
Speaker 3: Let's just go no, no, I love every second of this, Do not apologize.
Speaker 8: Amazing, great ictic.
Speaker 3: Now this is podcasting.
Speaker 8: Podcasting, baby. So the first story I want to talk about is one that was devised by me. I kind of had some help putting a document on this, put together by the folks in the Gravity Falls subreddit discord server. The link is in the podcast description if you want to check it out, it's just the Google doc. The goal was to find similarities in the patterns of the orders and arrangements of the rectangles that are in Journal three and in the book A bill and to match them up. We weren't looking at cars. We were just looking at patterns. Because I mentioned to you that I found twenty five different patterns in the original Journal three, and you know, twenty five is really close to twenty six, and there's twenty six letters of the alphabet, and so it must mean something, right, right, It means something, right, guys, I'm not crazy. We talk about the rectangles.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about the rectangles.
Speaker 8: The basic idea behind this, behind finding these patterns, is similar to how the strings of numbers on the Silly Straw page related to specific words as specific timestamps in episodes. I was thinking that maybe if a pattern in this book matches a pattern on a page of Journal three, perhaps the first word of all of these pages might actually mean something, or maybe the first word of the paragraph next to pattern in Journal three is what you should keep track of. And then when you put them all next to each other, maybe it spells something, or maybe it writes something, or maybe there's a phrase. And a bunch of them were repeated from like the same two or three pages in Journal three, and to my knowledge, that didn't go anywhere, at least not in any way I could detect. But wait, there's more. I'm not crazy. I have other theories. So we also have the RGB x code theory. And this is also one of mine. Because I was talking to a friend and I was talking about the rectangles, and I kept saying, man, it doesn't make sense. Some of these rectangles are green, some of them are red, some of them are blue. We just have red green, blue, red, green, blue boo RGB. And so I ran to my computer and I counted every instance of a red rectangle in the book of Bill, every instance of a green one, and every instance of a blue one, and I, okay, maybe if I put this in as the numbers in an RGB code, that could maybe translate to a hex code, and maybe that and essentially the curd that I ended up with was just an ugly shade.
Speaker 1: Of brown that's towards for marine.
Speaker 8: You found it, Yeah, right, There is in one of the pages a super duper tiny code. This is I think right before the pages where we get to hear from Stan, Mabel and Dipper. But there's a super tiny code in the inner margin, like up against the crack of the book that says, what is Ford's favorite color? And it's so tiny you literally need a magnifying glass to read it. It is so hard to read. And in some people's versions of the book, it's so deep in the margin that they physically can't see it. Because it's deep in the crack.
Speaker 1: You have to destroy your book in order to read it.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Also on this page speaking of destruction as a code that says destruction is the form of creation. On this page it has that question. And so I was thinking, Okay, I'm wondering what kind of color I'm looking for. Maybe it's a hex code, maybe it's an RGB code, Maybe this is related to something else, Maybe it's a password to something. And I just kept trying to figure it out, and I just ended up with a muddy, ugly brown. And I guess that's for true marine enjoy. Well, you know, I tried different variations, like maybe if I only count all of the greens that show up after a specific point, Maybe if I don't count all the reds that show up after the first instance of green, what do I get? But ultimately I couldn't find any real meaning. But for your records, there is about four hundred and forty two red rectangles sixty four green ones and twenty seven blue ones. Have fun, y'all enjoy that.
Speaker 3: This is the best episode of this podcast.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 8: I'm glad someone's having.
Speaker 3: I'm calling it right here.
Speaker 8: But then, so this was mostly the idea of Jim Bags seven seven seven. He kind of worked us out in DMS with me because he still is and so am I going crazy already. Rectangles and he came up with the idea that maybe these different rectangles, because we can find six different sizes of rectangles at least in the Book of Bill, maybe they translate into six different musical notes.
Speaker 1: Oh that's that's very close encounters.
Speaker 8: Yeah, he arranged a rectangles into a song, and I think the way he did it was specific rectangles that are on the left and right sides of the page were like the bass, and ones on the top and bottom sides of the page where the treble, and he just kind of played them in some kind of synthesizer. He would know more about this than me, but essentially it made a song.
Speaker 4: We have permission to play it.
Speaker 3: So for all the listeners, here is what Jim Beg sent to Hanna at that point.
Speaker 1: The rectangle whole song.
Speaker 3: No, m.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the thing is well, well, yeah, we know what the thing is.
Speaker 8: It doesn't sound like exactly a song, but it kind of has us almost ending like it ends on a like it kind of sounds like it ends at the last rectangle, which is I think not intentional, but there you go. And it does almost match a pattern, though I think that's more to do with the fact that, like I said, they have fewer patterns than this, and so a lot of them just repeat. So you get a lot of like repeating variations of these six notes. And it's fine, it's fun. We have fun here. I don't think this necessarily means anything, but if anyone in the audience that is more musically inclined wants to make a musical song out of these, please do. Maybe it'll be cool if.
Speaker 3: Someone wants to put on a Broadway musical with this is the lamebow tief of the main character.
Speaker 8: Yes, absolutely, yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm waiting for the next whatever other Gravity falls Me is released in the far future. I'm waiting for that to be like the Rosetta stone of the rectangle. All of a sudden, you're like, oh my god, like you're just like up at three am and.
Speaker 3: Then Honor will disappear because their mission on this Earth has been.
Speaker 8: Yeah, exactly, it'll be like finally I am free.
Speaker 4: Atoms will return back to the universe at that point.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yes.
Speaker 8: There is a rectangle decoding forum on the subreddit discord. They have a list of everything that has been tried, and I'm just going to read off these things that has been tried aside from the stuff that I see.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I love this episode.
Speaker 8: Number one using the six different box sizes to try and turn it into letters, but there's too few box sizes. Number two, using the six box sizes and the spacing between them a turn it into letters. Nothing they could detect. Three converting to small boxes versus large boxes three by three into Morse code, Bacon cipher or binary. Four converting the boxes into hexamal. Five counting the numbers the boxes on each page and taking that number through a one Z twenty six. Six taking every single rectangle and putting them over each other. Oh, they've made some really cool images just overlaying these pages of rectangles. Seven taking every single rectangle and putting them into a bar code format. Eight taking every rectangle on a specific page and turning it into an individual bar code format. Nine taking every single rectangle out of page and turning them into musical notes A to F, and that was what I mentioned. Ten taking specific chunks slash patterns of the rectangles and converting those into letters. Nothing happened. Eleven using the hex CosIng part of coding the various rectangles, tried that nothing. Twelve overlaying rectangles onto pages of the Great Gatspeed huh. And they've apparently also tried every result from Caesar at Bash, et cetera. Something that I feel like I need to say, because I don't want to like give anyone false hope or give you know, disappointment, But I need to say, for every code that we've talked about in other languages of the Book of Bill, there are prism, runic, et cetera. Those codes are different in those books because they translate to a different code and a different message. The rectangles, however, are always the same. And that's something that we really need to keep in mind. And that's probably, to me, at least one of the final nails in the coffin. Unless hypothetically the rectangles don't decode to letters, I think I don't think it's a substitution cipher it probably maybe it decodes to something else.
Speaker 1: You're a much stronger person than me, Hannah, because this is the kind of thing that would ruin my life, like if I was if I was focused on it, like I wouldn't. I wouldn't know like how to feed myself, Like if I was this focused on Oh, you.
Speaker 8: Want to know how I've been feeding myself, I've been eating your lunch. Ella.
Speaker 1: Well, that's true out of the fringe and conspiracies.
Speaker 3: That's why are missing.
Speaker 2: Now and old milk and old milk.
Speaker 3: But I want to point out that Hannah, literally, like data lists before them, crafted wax wings for their defensive Ford PIDE's video.
Speaker 1: And now you know why, Hanna, did you take my spaghetti? Play?
Speaker 3: Wait, Hannah, was you? Were you the one who took dipper spaghetti in Bottomless Bit?
Speaker 8: This interview is over. I also really would be remiss if I didn't add I am not in the like theorizing game as heavy duty as the people in the subreddit discord, right, I really want to be clear that like, I am in there, and I'm keepping an eye on things, and I'm occasionally trying things when I have downtime, which I never really do because I work three jobs and I'm always busy drinking expired milk. But I do want to be clear that they are doing the bulk of this work and trying the bulk of these things. And yeah, like I want to give them a huge shout out because even though Ella, you just said that I'm stronger than you, they are stronger than me. I'm mostly in the background here. I have passed on to the new guard.
Speaker 3: If the food chain is to be believed, there's something out there that could eat them.
Speaker 1: Well, there's always a bigger fish.
Speaker 8: Yes, I'm hoping that with enough expired milk, then I can play my throne as most insane gravity falls hand. Ooh, Hi, it's me Future Hannah. I'm the Hannah from the future. I borrowed Blended Blendon's time take to go back in time. Ooh is that anything? Did you like my sick gravity falls reference? Kids? Anyways, I'm here to tell you all that about a week after recording all of this, Annigan's all this, one of the illustrators of Journal three and the one who created direct Chain was in the first place, actually got back to a fan from the gravity Fall subrend at Discord who asked him about the rectangles. And it turns out the rectangles don't mean anything, nothing at all. So all of the theories that you have already listened to, h yeah, they might not be anything. They're probably nothing. And guys, I'm not pulling your leg. This isn't something I wanted. This isn't something I'm making up to keep the secrets of the rectangles to myself. This isn't a lie from the corrupt offices, a big rectangle to get you all to buy more rectangles. To the best of my knowledge and to the way that I understand and believe, the rectangles mean nothing. And I've spent eight years decoding scribbles in the margins of a children's book. Anyways, I guess I'm gonna time tape away.
Speaker 2: Now, So.
Speaker 1: Shall we move on to the next theory? Yes?
Speaker 8: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: This is sort of a classic theory that it made a comeback thanks to Book of Bill that Bill is a bird now. This was in place after the series finale when we see a bird fly to the hand of petrified Bill statue, and seems to be backed up by the end of the Book of Bill, where a bird is seemingly on the statue's hand as the eye glows. In the Time Pirates Treasure the Aschloe says another form another time than they assumed that meant the bird.
Speaker 2: I mean they do talk about reincarnation in the therapism. Yes, that's true, but that would imply that Bill has grown after this book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you want to read the next one since it's about a goat?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: I should because it's about a goat.
Speaker 3: You're so right.
Speaker 4: So this is the.
Speaker 3: Retroactive Gompers Bill connection theory, so from Censorfire on Reddit, but likely others from the same time.
Speaker 4: There was a theory back in.
Speaker 3: The day pre twenty sixteen that Gompers is related to Bill because of the horizontal pupils. Obviously, nothing in the show ever confirmed that, and also goats just look like that. However, in the Book of Bill, Bill confirms that goat's eyes never changed when he possesses them, which gives retroactive leeway to this theory.
Speaker 1: Because it is you know, Gompers does happen to appear in a lot of critical moments, which is part of why people have bought that in the first place.
Speaker 3: And also in the AMA When Bill was asked what he thinks of Gompers, he responded, I like him better this way. But it's so funny that him referencing this movie that was happening at the same time as Gravity Falls has weirdly flawlessly tied into both the Owl House and an existing Gravity Falls fan theory that both are referenced on that page.
Speaker 8: I I did not know about the Vivich stuff.
Speaker 1: What's thou like to eat spoiled milk?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 8: Please cnch crunch. Well, I was thinking about what I was reading. All This is the stuff related to the search for the Blind Eye website that existed a few years ago.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, I have you all.
Speaker 8: Talked about this before on the podcast.
Speaker 4: A little bit.
Speaker 1: The idea that I like him better this way refers to the transformation that.
Speaker 8: Yes, right, The website did tell the story of a wizard who was transformed by a witch implied to be the hand Witch's sister into a goat.
Speaker 4: Was she called the foot Witch?
Speaker 8: No, I think she was maybe the ear witch. She cursed his ear as well. I don't know. I'm making stuff up at this point because I don't remember it that much detail.
Speaker 2: No, that's correct. Never trust a witch, they'll curse your ear and turn you into an immortal goat. So I hear, thank you.
Speaker 8: Yeah. I talked about this for twenty minutes of my Tell Who Stands video, or at least I felt like that long, because there's just so much that we don't know about Gomber's backstory, and yet they've given us some more back story that we've wanted.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, yeah, because it relies on not only does it rely on the Search for the Blind Eye website, but that code that shall be just quoted is from Journal three. So it's like a multi platform thing. You have to piece this together.
Speaker 3: Wasn't there also a cryptogram or something in the three DS game that alluded to Gompers being something else?
Speaker 1: Three? Yes, the three DS game is that he's an immortal guardian of the forest. So I don't think it alludes to what he used to be, but it's what he is now exactly.
Speaker 8: And so what I see in the Book of Bill this note where Bill specifically says, when I possess goats, it's the only animal whose pupils don't change shape.
Speaker 1: Hey, Hannah, what's the what's the shape of those goat pupils? Again?
Speaker 3: Elongated squares has been hitting the memory gone again.
Speaker 8: There is a five five five number in the Book of Bill. Now, normally, of course, five five five numbers are associated with whatever on TV. They want to have a fake phone number that no one can actually call and it doesn't actually go somewhere. But with this phone number, if you call it, you hear a woman say hello in an automated message. It also seems like if you say specific phrases you get a response like wait, who are you trying to reach? And then if you say another response, if it like check something out on an internal voicemail box, you get wrong number by and then it hangs up. This is very weird because it seems like this was not intentional. Someone actually asked Alex Hirsch about this phone number at one of his book signings at Barnes and Noble. I don't remember which specific one, but he then said, yeah, no, that's not on purpose. But what this means is that there is a five fi five number in the book that goes to some kind of automated message, which.
Speaker 4: Is also hilarious.
Speaker 3: The idea if he's telling the truth that Alex just put a five to five to five number there being like, well, those don't actually exist, so no one could call this without checking, and apparently this is one.
Speaker 4: Of the few five five five numbers that's real.
Speaker 1: Yeah, who would anticipate that a five five to five number would be real? That's been standard practice in TV forever.
Speaker 8: Well, that's the thing is that usually there is a rule applying to the four digits that follow a five five five number, where numbers between a specific number and another number are usually reserved for media. However, most people kind of ignore that because five five five has become shorthand into public lexicon for this is a fake phone number. So there are a few times when different TV shows or producers or whatever will use a phone number and think, because it's five y five that this rule technically applies. And it was because of them that the theorists in the Gravity felt subfrat at discord went, well, wait, this doesn't follow the exact rule. The four digits that follow the five y five are not within this range, which means it could be intentional and it could be real.
Speaker 1: And they just didn't know.
Speaker 8: Exactly, and they were looking at the fact that the name Jess kind of matches, you know, Jess as in Jasslbrahm, the character who was scratched out. So from their perspective, there is a phone number in this book. When you call it, you get the name of a character who is an oracle of esoteric knowledge. And sometimes if you say specific phrases, it triggers a response, not much of a response, but a response. And so to respond to the question that Jess sometimes asks, wait, who are you trying to reach, they came up with a list of five hundred different names to see if it triggered the response. You know, the conversation you go, hello, Hello, who are you trying to reach? And then if you've said the correct name, then hopefully the idea is that you get a good response. But none of these names were.
Speaker 3: This is actually scaring me more than anything else that Gravity Falls has, because we do not know why there is this automated service, and we do not know what is the thing that will trigger it to not say wrong number. And I'm like, hey, we might have stumbled on something weird or at least invasive here, And I'm like getting goosebumps, kind of yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's also the fact that not only in Cipher Hunt, but also in the Gus Spurnside arg there were working phone numbers connected directly to gravity falls and what was going on. So I think that's kind of part of the thinking too, right, is that, well, we've had phone numbers that worked before, so why would this one be different?
Speaker 4: And by the way, don't call this if you're listening.
Speaker 8: If you feel strongly about it, you could also censor it. But the phone number is what one hundred five five five.
Speaker 6: Jo It wasn't until Alex specifically told a fad who happens to be in the discord server that the number didn't mean anything that they kind of backed off of the theory and stopped calling this random five by five.
Speaker 3: Numbers a random five five to five number that if you did enter the right name of would reveal all the secrets of Area fifty one and the Rosswall incident.
Speaker 1: But oh well, no, don't encourage them. The name was Paul, by the way, that would what you're supposed to say.
Speaker 3: Sick Paul reference el. Yeah, you'll get in touch with seth rogen if you.
Speaker 1: So. On the page that establishes the therapism, there are a bunch of various creatures and monsters of things that are in various levels of security and various levels of healing. Bill is listed as max security, but so is one of the Flavor Pups, the Smile Dip Dogs that Nabel hallucinates.
Speaker 3: One of Dos Flavor Pups.
Speaker 1: Dos Flavor Pups which Mabel hallucinates in the inconveniencing and there a therapism code under it translates to the beast the worst. Yeah, which leads us to these next theories.
Speaker 2: So this theory is labeled the Smile Dip Dog crimes.
Speaker 1: And this from TV Trope's Wild Mascuts.
Speaker 2: Yes, So what's written here is it's likely, given Alex's sense of humor, that the seemingly harmless dog is actually worse than Bill for whatever reason, and that even Bill himself fears him, hence the need for such high security. On the Gravity Falls subreddit, Roscoe s f writes completely random theory about the Smile Dip Dog that I came up with off the top of my head. Burst off. I know this is a crazy, probably false theory. Please don't spam the comments saying this is incorrect. So, thanks to the Book of Bill, we now know that the Smile Dip Dog is a creature as powerful as Bill and is currently being held in the therapism. My theory is that the creature is a sort of ancient interdimensional deity that wants to control the world, maybe the entire multiverse, maybe not, but definitely earth. I think that this deity has some ability that lets it enter people's minds, similar to Bill, but it does not quite work the same way. While Bill can enter people's dreams or enter their heads as part of some deal, I think the dog can enter people's mindscapes without their consent or even without them being aware of it. However, it can only enter someone's mind if they are under the influence of something like drugs, booze, or possibly toxic candy. The dog wanted to subtly take over the Earth and not reveal itself until it was in a position of power, so it took the form of a cartoonish dog, which anyone would just assume was a hallucination caused by whatever they are on. Although the dog is not much of a deal maker, it would sometimes get into contact with humans or try to manipulate them into putting more substances into circulation. For example, it could have worked with a higher up at the CIA and gotten the ball rolling on mk Ultra, but.
Speaker 3: I love that is so fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good one.
Speaker 8: This is a.
Speaker 3: Lot for those who didn't listen to our billsipher Ama episode mk Ultra. Okay, so basically, the government wanted to find out if mind control is possible and put a lot of research into interrogating their Cuban guinea pigs, and a lot of that involved the invention and eventual distribution of LSD or as it's commonly known on the Street's Acid. Yes, there's a fantastic episode of Behind the Bastards that goes into every detail that is publicly it's alty classified now other than the Smile Dip dog part.
Speaker 2: I guess, I guess coming back. But the big thing that connects it to the show is that when it started up, a cult that worshiped it and got said cult members to market and sell Smile Dip, a candy laced with a subtle amount of hallucinogens, maybe something not native to Earth, probably something that would not be easily detectable, but was still strong enough to allow the dog into consumers' mindscapes. The cult eventually faded away, as did Smile Dip. While all this was going on. The dog had heard of Bill. It knew he was trying to get to Earth so that he could rule over it and likely destroy it, so it tried to find a way to stop him and hit a stroke of luck when he found Mabel, who ate the entire shelf of expired smiled up. It entered her mind and tried to give her a warning that it hoped would stop Bill from entering the third dimension, Must distrust Grunkle, but Mabel was too high on sugar too realize. Eventually, the dog was discovered and sent to the therapism.
Speaker 1: The must distrust Grunkle is like an interpretation of what the dog says to Mabel when you play it backwards. It was never really confirmed at.
Speaker 3: I mean, really, the only way to confirm any of this is if someone here has been eating large quantities of expired products, and you know where we're gonna find someone like that.
Speaker 8: I also heard must just trust grunkle, but I don't have a grunkle, so just ignored it and kept eating.
Speaker 1: What about the muscular dolphin? Did he say anything?
Speaker 8: What happened between me and the muscular dolphins stays between me and the muscular.
Speaker 1: Dolphins that's fair. Last theory here comes from Peter Dagg double O seven on the gravity falls subreddit Do you believe Bill has ever seen Conway's Monster? In math, especially in geometry, topology and group theory, there is a concept known as the Conway's monster that is a group of transformations as rotations, symmetry, or permutations that only exist in eight times ten to the fifty third power dimensions eight followed by fifty three zeros. I know there may never even be any mention of the monster in ANYGF media, but considering Bill so related to geometry and seeing higher dimensions, I would love to believe that he could have seen it. A further explanation on Conway's monster. It's also sometimes called the monster or monster group.
Speaker 3: I just call it Conway and then pedants get mad at me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Actually the explanation comes from Hallboarts on the explain Like I'm five subreddit, who says group theory, in some sense studies types of symmetry. For example, an equilateral triangle has a threefold symmetry, whereas a square has a fourfold symmetry. These symmetries are objectively different. Mathematicians were interested in knowing all the types of symmetries, so they categorized tons of them. Think of symmetries as chemical compounds.
Speaker 3: I will not for it. It's an imperative statement. It doesn't say you can. It told me to.
Speaker 8: Did Ford write this? There's so much here.
Speaker 1: It turns out that some symmetries are really composites of two simpler symmetries, like sixfold symmetry may really be a composite of twofold symmetry and threefold symmetry. It turns out that all finite symmetries are really a compounds of a set list of simple symmetries. Simple symmetries are symmetries that cannot be broken down like a prime number. Basically, so simple symmetries are like chemical elements of symmetry. The monster is a huge simple symmetry. Normally simple symmetries are much smaller. It is very unusual that such a large symmetry has no constituent components, be like if there was a random element of astronomical size compared to the other elements like oxygen and carbon.
Speaker 3: I don't understand any of this. I have a learning disability.
Speaker 1: I mean it makes sense to me that Bill would be able to perceive something as freaky and mathematically unlikely as that, going by.
Speaker 8: The trends in the Book of Bill, He's probably with this thing.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I figure that Bill's gone out drinking or played cards with Conway's monster.
Speaker 8: Yea, absolutely, yes, only Bill can call him Conway Connie. Yes. I think that like the amount of information that we have about Gombers like as background info, and the amount of information that we have about Schmebylock as background info, Frankly, I would not be surprised if, you know, if this much lore existed for the Smile dip Dog or for the possible Codway monster. And I think that's really fun. I love this series.
Speaker 1: That's a great point is that, I mean, the Hall of Conspiracy is kind of was founded on the idea that, like we never confirmed or denied anything, not just because we were in No Spoiler Podcast, but because it's the kind of show where like you can't take anything for granted. You know, you can't assume that anything is just gonna be a joke, because they will always inject more lore to something.
Speaker 8: I mean, the main plot twist of this show is that someone has a long lost twin in a way and another dimension, which if you described it about any series what sound fake as hell like Detective.
Speaker 3: But it's just been an absolute dic. Such a kid having you on here to talk about the first spoiler full episode of the podcast and possibly the last episode of the podcast.
Speaker 8: This thing is jam packed with spoilers.
Speaker 1: Well spoilers in the current moment, we're not predicting spoilers.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for joining us today. I mean, you live here, but thank you for lending us your rectangle flanged brain.
Speaker 2: Thank you for letting me live in your walls, allowing us to join you in our hall.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also, we should get you some like actual food.
Speaker 8: I don't know if my stomach knows how to consume actual food anymore, and just drinking expired milk for two years, so I don't know if I could do that, but I'll try.
Speaker 3: So thank you enormously for taking your time out of your day to be here with us.
Speaker 4: Tell us where to find you and what you got going on?
Speaker 8: Oh absolutely so obviously you can find me on YouTube at how to Hyperfixates, and you can check out some of my way too long video essays about gravity Falls. If hypothetically you enjoyed hearing me ramble on and on and on about the minutia and the small details.
Speaker 3: If hypothetically you've made it fifty four episodes into this podcast and don't like gravity Falls, then you know not for you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it might not be your thing.
Speaker 1: For a game at the old college try Yeah.
Speaker 8: You can also find me on Twitter how to hyperfixate no s at the end Because I couldn't fit it in and you would like to keep up with a project that I am really passionate about. I have created, with the help of some lovely mods, mystery twin mystery bags. It's going to be a mystery bag full of Gravity Falls fan products like key chains, acrylic standyes, posters. I know for a fact that there's going to be some handmade bath bombs by me and some handmade items made by some other artists made of real hands with real hands. Sticker is keychains. Buy more key chains. As crincle Stead would say.
Speaker 1: You just made me remember one of my favorite gas subtle hidden messages.
Speaker 8: It's a very good cab. I but you especially should buy more key chains because one hundred percent of the proceeds are going directly to aid for the people of Gaza who have been so badly impacted by violence there. This is going to aid for innocent civilians, and as a Palestinian person myself, this is a cause that I care a lot about. We have a team of like forty different artists helping, including some names that you've probably heard of. So if you would like to check that out, please check out Mystery Twin Bags on Twitter or Mystery Twin Mystery Bags on Tumblr, or just checked out the pinned tweet on my Twitter at how to hyperfix It. I'll definitely be dropping updates on my YouTube channel as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and if you want to find more episodes of this podcast, well there is fifty three of them and then some change with bonus episodes and as far as most of you are concerned, no more. Last episode again we didn't cry this time?
Speaker 1: Well not, yeah, there's still time.
Speaker 2: Why would you say that?
Speaker 3: You can find all of those, such as our previous interview with Alex Hirsch on Cypherhunt at pipe dreampodcast dot com, where there are other shows like Escape from Vault Disney, How did This Not get made?
Speaker 4: Come on Hookah pods and pod made You special.
Speaker 3: There you can find a link to our show's social media's Discord server and our patreon patreon dot com slash mystery shack, where if you didn't check out our last post here on the feed, we revealed we are doing a new thing there.
Speaker 4: It's called remembering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sorry about that.
Speaker 3: For just three dollars a month, you could listen to us Me, Shelby and Ella rewatch Stephen Universe together. It doesn't go this deep into the weeds. It's just us in rewatching a show we like and discussing it.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thank you to Alex Search for voicing Stan and the Hall of Conspiracies intro, as well as for being here earlier today.
Speaker 3: He's a hard man to get in touch with, so the fact that every way schedule he's still made sure he has an ad for us, He's delightful.
Speaker 1: The Hall of Conspiracy theme is lental dentist remix of our first episode by Simon the Dimbo B two hyphen zero. Got a link to that full song in the description. Thank you to Prian Bryan for making the instrumental to our theme song. I actually wrote the theme song and you can find it at lchsre dot bancamp dot com and you can find me at drawn without ref on the social media's yeah, what about? What about? What about the rest of us?
Speaker 3: Here? Oh, you can find me at c h A r l E y m A r l o w E Charlie Marlow with an even seven to seven letters. That's on YouTube and Tumblr and Patreon. I'm not in as many places as I used to be, but I have been. I've been good.
Speaker 4: How about you, guys.
Speaker 3: I've been doing an abridged series of the Zelda cartoon that's just the most charliest thing I have ever produced. It is sort of an act of gender expression, my first time voicing a female character. I voiced both Link and Zelda, and Link uses say them pronouns in the series. Ella and Shelby have helped enormously with it. Hannah hasn't yet, you know.
Speaker 8: Something, But if I have free time, I would love to. I think I might be free In twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: I am on most social medias at Shelby Sessler, just my whole name. I'll go ahead and I'll plug the comics that I did, their Moon Meg on Instagram's comics and the Magpie win Abane prequel videos that I do just so if you want to know what the Windebane information is, you can sort of get a little bit of backstory and understand.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: Those are so good.
Speaker 1: I also wanted to give a shout out to my wonderful friend Sam. They recently mailed me in physical mail a lovely print that they drew of Grunkle Stan and Compey, who is the dinosaur from Journal three that imprints on Stan after the events of Lambefore Swine. It's for sale in there, Etsy, and we can link that in the description. But they just they said it to me in this in such a loving way, like with this whole little letter with that which had codes on it, and of course a wonderful drawing of Bill Seipher, but also just said just a thank you for making such a cool podcast, and also because I just think you'd like the drawing. It's based on the extended Journal three plot of Lambefore Swine where Stand steels and hatches a dino egg. Though I'm sure you're remember that, haha. I hope this gets to you safely Stay Weird from Sam and it's just so awesome. So you can follow them at at Radical Underscore Bears their at s shop is Radical Bears Cartoons, so we will link all that in the descriptions. You can check out this awesome print and this awesome artist.
Speaker 3: Also, please check out the new documentary on Cipher Hunt that Ken Carlyle did. Alex harsh is also interviewed in it, and we contributed a little cameo, so did Hannah.
Speaker 4: It's god literally everything.
Speaker 1: I mean.
Speaker 3: I think part of the goal must have been like, Wow, that Cipher podcast is pretty pretty pretty good. You might have to work pretty hard one up them, to be fair, he did so.
Speaker 1: Some of the questions that we asked Alex today were actually submitted on our discord server by various listeners and from friends of the show and even some docents, So we want to give a shout out to those folks, including Simon Chrissy e are one two.
Speaker 3: EU that's actually er twelve view.
Speaker 1: Ah yeah, sorry, it's just not my native language. I'm not elite speaker natively. There's also ko oh, my our docent, Mary and Lady Aloha.
Speaker 4: Ella and I have been working together.
Speaker 3: For almost exactly ten years. As a matter of fact, we just guested on an episode of In Each Tree Telling to talk about our first ever collab. So if you enjoyed hearing us here, please listen to us reminisce on the episode of Any Tree Telling titled How the Grunkle Stole Hanukkah. Also, I recently guested on the new Escape from Valt Disney on an episode of WandaVision, and Ella was on an.
Speaker 4: Episode of the podcast Not One Right Way.
Speaker 3: And one of my partners, Saskia, has been doing commissions for candy with a K, basically Friendship bracelets. There's a link to their deepop. In the description, they said they're going to start doing gravity falls ones and also they do custom commissions. They're really cute. Please buy one.
Speaker 1: Well, this has been a great you know, final for the foreseeable future, I guess episode of the podcast. Definitely know others that we have.
Speaker 4: There are some futures you can't foresee.
Speaker 8: But yeah, oh my god, this has been three hours.
Speaker 3: Oh it's been longer because don't forget there's a whole Alex hersche interview before this.
Speaker 8: Oh my god.
Speaker 3: So if you listen to this podcast while driving to work, uh, get a job.
Speaker 4: That's closer to you, start applying or maybe.
Speaker 1: You should, like you know, petition your local government to do something about the traffic, because it could be a short commute.
Speaker 4: But still you work ten minutes away.
Speaker 3: But so that interview with Bill towards the beginning of the podcast, we put up on Twitter as kind of a teaser for a Patreon cut of the episode, and.
Speaker 4: It went absolutely viral.
Speaker 3: We got fan art, we got people lip syncing to it on TikTok.
Speaker 4: The response has been insane.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, and we gained by our account and by Patreons over eighty new Patreon supporters.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 3: The way we've always done things on this podcast, listen past the ending song. On previous episodes, we always have like a little skit where someone usually one of the official gravity Falls cast or crew members, plays a Gravity Falls character and gives a reason that they're listing names. That is not a funny skit with ninety plus names. Yeah, I think there's a medium more tailored to saying many things.
Speaker 1: Well, what medium would that be, Charlie.
Speaker 3: Well, a small medium at lark.
Speaker 1: Do we know any Hope?
Speaker 2: I think we've got a wittle old friend.
Speaker 3: And now the mystery shack look back Patreon shoutouts roll due by Little.
Speaker 1: Gidium Patti y'all, We just want to extend a big old thank you too, and did Apple Junior Bropedi Piranha plant Obie friendly local geek. They even cancel Paranica Sacris, Veronica Hope, Ddy driffud Nikki Brass, Lavenders and Draca Bury the Monkey, Madison, This and It Spinosa A Spriky Prickson, Cjubu Lation, Mombletina d mumble Tina and Cookie Verpallina, Keilena Bradford, Audrey Comrio, the brain Worm, Foxes Sko Graven Lebtmino rais a saint you brother Suspiri a rum, keep it together, gleeful you got this. Adam went to a Zadan and m Samantha angry Josh's cave and Neil and Zucker didn't Mirra Foo, Micael Hurst, Wilson, jen a m Ko n e j and he speaks to Quana Payo, what anitaf and i'ner three narts that were day Randa, who's tide strong thumba go out Weiba Angel Currisoo to Florida Leimer will gag me rbutum Redo cabalpe kyrak Camaron, there's a cool blue Res' just one Ga Ways, Dream Boyage're right, John, then You're We're kilt and Sean just gotta finish this. Jimmy Rosary, Bella Juba Eighty, Lura Lemon, Mary McKeon, Leo Maldonado, Noeleon Ziogo, Any for Loow, Awkward, Eliam Or Relicious, Kiddia, the Thesmith, Emile Guampasia India, Laurel Stephanie Vella, Juliana Caruso, Benife Made Ellie Angel, There's Canning and Astor and original Stormwalker pistols on sensitive Dams. I have no name and could go for a good scream. Anonymous, Joe Myosota, Sofrey Set one Man, support us, Patreon dot com, Slash Mystery Shack, Oh Sweet Marry and Joseph Hang Gotta take a to you