Speaker 1: Callaroga Shark Media. Hello, I'm Shinny Mack with your daily comedy news. I'm freezing es in the morning again. Please stop. This is your daily comedy news and daily briefing on stand up comedy, comedians and the comedy industry. A sentence the algorithm loves for some reason. I'll keep saying it. Conan O'Brien caught up with Chris Fleming for Interview magazine. Did you watch Chris Fleming on HBO Max? I'm curious what the quote unquote the normies think of this. This is not you know, Bill Burr in front of a brick wall. This is something else entirely. I sent it to my friend Mark and I'm like, watch Chris Fleming and when you think it's weird, stick with it. And he wrote back to me, I'm glad you told me to stick with it, because I totally would have bailed it's weird. I loved it. I thought it was fantastic. That is currently the number one special of the year. Chris Fleming and Conan O'Brien in Interview Magazine. Fleming said, have you seen this magazine? Usually it's like Alexander Scoresguard interviewed by Judge Judy or Fiona Apple interviewed by the Tinder Swindler. But you and I actually make sense together, Gonu said. This makes sense because I have a hard time imagining who I can relate to more than mister Fleming. Here, your ridiculous figure. I've been enamored with you for a long time, and I wish I were talking to the late illusionist Doug Henning. Conan said, I can see you took my advice. I told you long ago, don't move around so much. O'Brien said, I said, I want you to wear very masculine, working class clothing. Fleming said, you gave me a Men's Warehouse gift certificate, and you whispered in my ear stillness is king. Now, if you haven't watched the specially, you have no idea why that is so funny. Gonan, make sure all the references are accessible to all age groups. That means none of your trader Joe's marginalia no takes on NPR. And I insisted that you talk at length about the nineteen seventy five Red Sox and bring up fred Lin repeatedly, and you said, got it. And then to my surprise. I tune in and you're up to your old high jinks. You imp. Chris said, I had a manager who said, I don't know what you're talking about ninety percent of the time, Conan, you've established a rhythm. It's completely yours. You lull people into the state where suddenly they know what everything about this specific guy who's serving you a boba t and we're all just there with you, even though I shouldn't know what you're talking about because I've never had bobat in my life. Funny shange here, Conan says, just today, Jon Appatow found a clip at me from nineteen eighty six in the background at some comedy event that he's doing a documentary about. Chris said, oh, I didn't know he did documentaries, Conan. It's a documentary about the time he stopped doing documentaries. Fun stuff there at the interview magazine. We'll talk more about Chris Fleming in the second half. Are you following this Jim Carrey thing? Did you see this? Last week? There was an award show and Jim Carrey showed up, or maybe it wasn't actually Jim Carrey. Did you see this? People are like, is that Jim Carrey. It kind of looks like Jim Carrey, but yet not at all like Jim Carrey. Is Jim Carrey doing a bit? Did Jim Carrey have botox? Did Jim Carrey have plastic surgery? Did the Illuminati replace Jim Carrey with a clone that's not that good? Nobody knows what's going on. Well, there's a new wrinkle to this that I love. Makeup artist Alexis Stone claims that it was he who appeared last week week as Jim Carrey. On Instagram, Alexis posted Alexis Stone as Jim Carrey in Paris. The post included two photos of quote unquote Jim Carrey at the event, and one photo of a masked teeth and a dark wig that resembled Jim Carrey's new look. Now, the Cesar Awards say that Jim Carrey worked on his speech in French for months and that there is no clone. In a statement, Gregory Collier, the General Delegate of the Caesar Awards, said the rumors are a non issue. Jim Carrey's visit has been planned since this summer. From the outside, it was extremely touched by the Academy's invitation eight months of ongoing constructive discussions. He worked on a speech in French for months, asking me about the exact pronunciation of certain words. He came with his partner, his daughter, his grandson, of twelve, close friends and family members. His longtime publicist accompanied him. His old friend Michael Gondrey, who's made a film and too serious with him, was there and they were delighted to see each other again. For me, it's a non issue. I just remember his generosity, his kindness, has benevolence, his elegance. I think this is hilarious. Stavros Halkias is pairing up with manscaped together. They are auctioning off a hair ball collected from the head of Stavros Halkias. At least I assume it's the head. Jimmy Stark is the creative director at Quality Meats, a creative agency with a quirky name. Jamie Stark says, we can neither confirm nor deny the sources of the hairs for making of this hairball. We're pretty sure there's one hundred percent genuine human body hair in it, including Stavros's. We like to think of it as a hot dog styled hairball and that you don't exactly know all the sources of the hair meats it's made up of. You've already missed out on the auction. Sorry I didn't tell you in time. You could have had the hairball for just five hundred ten dollars. Proceeds from the auction went to Manscape's brand partner, the Testicular Cancer Society, supporting awareness, education and resources for men's health. Are you in Hollywood? Once you head on over to the Hollywood Walk of Fame around eleven thirty today and you might see Gabriel Iglesias. I hope you see him because he's supposed to be there to get his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. A bunch of the cast from the Office reunited at Sunday Nights Actor Awards. It was Mindy Kaling, Jenni Fisher, Angela Kinsey, and Ellie Camper, which let me decide by here. When I was driving around with my wife over the weekend, I was just raving about scrubs. Have you caught on that Alex Scrubs? And how hard it is to even get everyone back together. And I said, for example, if they brought the Office back, you would get Jenna Angela, Kevin Creed, Oscar, they'd all do it in a second, and yet there's no way Steve Crall would do it, and there's no way Krasinski would do it. And then my wife was like, what about Dwight trut And my take is that Rain Wilson would successfully hold out for more money and get it, and then they'd put a new lead on top I Digress. Jenna Fisher recalled the relentless schedule of the Office. She said it meant Christmas episodes and Valentine's episodes and super Bowl episodes and sometimes filler episodes that were kind of bad. Ellie Camper said, but it didn't matter because there was always another one right around the corner. The Actor's Awards revealed the reunion was all down to Mindy Kayling, executive producer, who told Variety we had reached out to her about being presented, and she came back with the idea of what if I did at reunion with all the women of the Office, and we were like yeah. Within like an hour, she had texted them all. She basically booked them all for us. Some folks are mad at Saturday Night Live for a sketch that didn't even air. Apparently, there was a Cut for Time sketch in which SNL sent up the BAFTA racial slur incident. Anyway. In the Cut for Time sketch titled Turet's, a host of celebrities including JK Rawling, Mel Gibson, Army Hammer, Louis c k and Bill Cosby claim they suffer from Tourette's, which would explain the problematic stuff they've been involved with. Tourette's Action CEO Emma McNally was not happy with this. She apparently sent an email to Deadline. This is not acceptable, she wrote. Mocking and disabilities never acceptable. It would not be tolerated for any other condition, and it should not be tolerated by people with tourets. In the sketch, host Connor's story played Army Hammer saying not many people know this, but one of the most common side effects of Tourett's cannibalism Ashley Pitty is JK. Ralling said that Tarrett's isn't just blurting out offensive word. It could be a year's long obsession with something like trans writes Keenan Thompson. As Bill Cosby claimed to suffer from drink. Turett's Kanye West, played by Cam Patterson, in a rare appearance, declared he has like three different types of Turetts. Even Michael Jay made an appearance saying Tourett's makes us do horrible things to the white guy we work with. The sketch was sponsored by the National Workforce of Rethinking Disabilities aka n WORD. Late Night reports that they had to scrap the original cold open. In the original version, it would have been The State of the Union, with James Austin Johnson's Donald Trump making jokes about deflecting from the Epstein Files and claiming that New York City Mayor zooron mom Donnie was thirsty for him. That all got scrapped and we got a pretty bad version of James Austin Johnson as Trump at two in the morning announcing the war. I used to really like James's impression. It is really drifting now, and I don't know what SNL's got to do with Trump. I don't know if James needs to just like sit home for a week and tweak it, but that impression is just really drifting. Let me just take a second here to just like thank so many of you. First of all, the feedback I got on the Pete Holmes interview, thank you. I got a lot of lovely notes. It seemed that people really dug it. First of all, thank you to Pete Holmes for doing it and the people at the eight hundter Bound Guerilla who made that happen. But thank you. You know, the notes on the side means something because otherwise I'm just a guy in the basement, you know, basically talking into the wall, and sometimes the dog stares at me while I do it, So thank you for that. Also, people have been sending in things. I'm sitting on a few things from a production standpoint. Jay Leno had talked about his Mount rushmoref comedy. I'm sitting on that. There's a great article about how Scrubs was able to recreate the hospital. I'll probably do that later in the week, but I'm still on Schrodinger's jury duty. I had a call again on Monday night. I have to call again Wednesday night, so like, I never know what my next day is going to be. So some of this stuff that I'm holding on to is just because I can't even judge my own production schedule right now. There is in the back end. There's an episode it's probably like four years old and definitely has the old theme music on it. Of like just me riffing on what at that time was somebody's list of the top fifteen comedians. That was like my what if I get COVID episode that I was just gonna play someday if I couldn't talk. I've never had to use it, but it's just sitting there knock on wood anyway, thank you for all the notes, and Richard sometimes sends me notes when I screw up the uploads. Richard appreciate that my email address is in the show. Not It's always great to hear from people. Don't forget Comedy Survivor roles are in oh wait, Actual Survivor. I'm still picking away at episode one of that first of all is up against Scrubs three hours of Survivor of like, Real Survivor is like way too much, guys, Just you can't hand it in a three hour episode, Like it's just my numbing. I'm sitting there and I'm like, there's still an hour left of this. I can't But Comedy Survivor is a lot of fun. Head to the Facebook group Daily comedy news podcast group Vote Someone Off. It's starting to get down to it now, and I've already started scribbling down. I've got this idea for Comedy Survivor, Heroes and Villains. I've got an idea for that. But when we get to the end of Comedy Survivor, I'm gonn I let it take a break. I don't want to, like endlessly do it. I think I think that kind of thing works best if like, we do it for a while, then we don't do it for a while, and then we bring it back again. But I'm kind of scribbling down a heroes and villain's idea for season two of Comedy Survivor. Take a look at the ratings. Scrubs did pretty well. The debut episode pulled in four point four to one million viewers, did a point six six rating in the eighteen to forty nine s. The second episode average three point five to two million viewers and a point five to five in the eighteen to forty nine So I did see sim people on the Reddit saying they didn't realize there was a second episode. After the second Scrubs was the premiere of Nate Brighetzi's The greatest average American that true two point three eight million viewers. So we had Scrubs with four forty one, then Second Scrubs three fifty two, and then Nate two thirty eight, which seems like a bad number. However, it did better than The Golden Bachelor did in the same spot last fall. And you know how much budgets there was on The Golden Bachelor and Nate's thing, you know, giving away sixty seven grand is probably dirt cheap to produce. That thing might run for fifteen years just because of the money of it all. Friend of the show, Jason Zinneman in The New York Times wrote an article five great specials to stream this winter. He writes, Taylor Thompson, Kevin Neal and Chris Spencer, Isabelle Hagen and Jackie Kashan deliver very different but very funny hours to get you through the cold. Let me go first, I watched a bunch of specials. Chris Flemings is the best of the year. It's hilarious. I totally get if you put this on and you're like, this is not for me, I get it, Okay, something a little more traditional, Pete Holmes. I think we all have a crush on Pete Holmes right now. All right, So Pete Holmes special was really good. Jackie Caation's special on YouTube was very, very funny. Enjoy that a lot. Cant Williams, I liked a lot. I have that probably at two, maybe Pete at three. Right now, it's early in the year. I'm not sure Kats was pound for pound funny, but he's an entertainer, and just the hour went by really quickly. I did not like Taylor Thomason's special. It just did not grab me. I just was not interested in at all. Jason Zinniman in The New York Times says Tominson makes her most deeply felt points through confessional jokes. Not takes a comic who favors concision. Sheakespan's her palate in this special, offering an elaborate theatrical spoof of a Christian comedian, but also digging deep into Bible stories, finding a fresh comic take on the absolute bleakness of Noah's Ark. Jason like Kevin Nila, and even though he's been a successful comic for four decades, I did not realize how funny Kevin Neilan was until I heard him on Conan's pod Neilan is a terrific joke writer, alert to paradox statements of the obvious and the silliness of language. Chris Spencer's goat adjacent on Hulu and you know my take on Hulu specials Zinneman writes. In the middle of this well made fifty minute special with the feel of a confidently hosted Hollywood dinner party, Chris Spencer interrupts a joke to look down at a man in the front row and offer a note that note, I'm gonna need you to laugh sometime today. That's pretty funny. Isabelle Hagen at the bitter end. That's on veeps. Isabelle tells dirty jokes in between playing the viola. She's a Juilliard trained artist who uses classical music to set up punchlines. Love it Once, she gets last from Mela Conolly, premises like a persuasive, defensive regret. Hagen is not the first comic to deliver deadpan one liners with resting sad face. As she puts it. At first, the viola music merely helps match the respectable with the raunchy. What becomes clear is that Hagen is something more ambitious in mind. She wants to introduce Bach to comedy fans, to build a place where she can play her instrument and have that stand by itself independently of jokes. Love it Jackie Kashan's altercation Cashen is the kind of comic who turns fury into eloquent goofiness. I thought that one was very good, and I'm going to leave you with this. I haven't talked about the war. I suspect on tomorrow's show there will be a lot of stuff about the war because we'll have cycled through the late night shows at least once, so tomorrow is likely going to be somewhat political. But there was a video that started circulating on Saturday and I have played it, I don't know fifteen times. It is a AI generated music video by a Flock of Eagles and a Flock of Eagles hit song Iran. I will play the audio for you here. I encourage you to seek out the video version of this on Twitter, where we see President Trump in a new wave flock of seagulls style hair singing the song Iran. It looks like an old style MTV video. It is just amazing. I've sent it to everybody I know, and I keep playing it. So that is your comedy news for today. And we'll pick up midstream here with Iran by a flock of eagles.
Speaker 2: I feel like I'm getting this. This is like a Route Warner Mergin, a rock quarn, no legend, I go go those oil supplies.
Speaker 1: Be a shamed of someone invade you, if someone invade ed.
Speaker 3: You, and iron I ran so far away above them night and day. But to show USA, a.
Speaker 2: Drone appears above you, and a more bounds of falling down on you, falling down on you.
Speaker 1: The fleet is moving.
Speaker 2: Here is still the straight of warms. It comes in mute.
Speaker 3: After the oil must flow through, and there a RN so far away.
Speaker 2: Upomb married upomb them n M. But just for USA, that's sunny.
Speaker 3: Here. It's a big rid.
Speaker 2: Button, atomic bombs composing down on you.
Speaker 3: How much room clouds in view? Send out a tweet.
Speaker 2: To let you know well, because Israel told me too often. It's a Yahoo.
Speaker 1: And r D wrest so.
Speaker 2: Far away, bombard upon them night.
Speaker 3: And day, and ur arres so far away.
Speaker 2: From end upon them night and hoday.
Speaker 3: What destroyed us a