Speaker 1: Seventh birthday period of Martin Luther King Junior, and we are discussing today and through this period, certainly through the holiday recognized by the federal government on Monday, the life, the mission, the ministry of Martin Luther King Junior and what its impact has and what does it say about our time. We began our conversation at the beginning of the week with none other than Terry Horde Owens. We touched upon some of these issues on Tenacious Tuesdays with Barbara Arnwine and Liz King. Revent tard Urie joined us along with a Tiba in conversation yesterday, on Wealthy Wednesdays and on thought Provoking Thursdays. P L Da Silva as well as his very special guest, along with Johnny Mack, explored the global implications of what thirty nine year old Martin Luther King Junior, at the hour of his assassination thirty nine years old, had to share with the world. In this hour, we're going to take a hard look, a deep dive into the Letter from a Birmingham Jail because of its historical significance, its implications, some of its origins, and why doctor King's thinking was so prolific. I'm particularly honored that our very special guest in this hour is not none other than John Diggles. John Diggles is a healthcare professional, and over the course of our show, I will give you more and more about his biography, and of course, activist thinker, political commentator, former executive in outdoor advertising John Leciotis will also be joining us in this hour. Both have been apprized of the subject matter and are well aware of the fact that Martin Luther King Junior's letter from a Birmingham jail was a turning point in Christian theological practice. Gentlemen, welcome forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show.
Speaker 2: Jesse, it's good to see you.
Speaker 3: Thanks Jesse. Thanks for now.
Speaker 1: This is fat Meet Fridays, So I don't want anyone to think for one moment that we don't have an additional contributor who is absolutely with us. She is the creator of the Jesse Jackson Junior Show, and I'm so grateful to call her my very close, dear and best friend. The work that she does on this show is extraordinary. In fact, there are other radio shows and radio stations around the country that watch our show. Very carefully and they are following the leadership that Gina Towns has established for the Jesse Jackson Junior Show as really a breakthrough moment in media communications. So much of what was once AM and FM has now moved over to the app. That is, we are listened to in London, in Johannesburg, South Africa, Frankfurt, Germany and other parts of the world. And that's in no small measure because the times are changing, so is the technology. More people probably listen to our program on the app than they actually do on terrestrial radio. It simply wouldn't be possible because I simply gave no thought to it without the leadership the thinking of Gina Towns. She felt that we needed a platform that was brought enough to share ideas across a broad global spectrum. And here we are. Gina, welcome forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show.
Speaker 4: You know what, Jesse, I almost forgot. It was that good Friday to have John and John.
Speaker 1: Hey, Gina, let me ask you this question, why the letter from a Birmingham jail.
Speaker 4: Well, before I go there, if you don't mind the liberty because you said a lot right there, so thank you. But we have to give homage and credit to the forty year veteran, that is, to have a smiley and his tutelage and his mentorship in this venture, especially for me, and I will not speak for you, but to allow us to grow on this platform and imitate what he does as best we can and try to sprout off.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that if I get the Capitol Hill, there are no guarantees this is an American election. If I get there, it is my intention to take the show with us, and I plan to literally usher from Dominique di Prima through Tavis's show, through Nie Cordlai Corte. It's many of my colleagues to frequent ABLA as a primary vehicle by which we share what's taking place in Washington. Pring daily that Democrats regain control. But if we don't regain control, that is, the resistance movement does not gain control of the Congress, certainly Democrats will have a lot to say about the future of this nation, given the extraordinary times that we find ourselves in. And so this show and this platform is a significant part of why I wanted to do this in the first place. The idea of going to Congress, you know, with a radio show, plugging people directly into their members of Congress and senators and discussing in real time what the hell is going on in this country. I think that matters to this.
Speaker 2: That is Jesse, and you're really good at it. The fact that you can bring voices and give a platform and have an honest, open discussion with your audience nationally, you're really really good at it. We're grateful for you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that. Gena.
Speaker 4: So on the Birmingham hand, the letter from Birmingham Jail that was John lesiotis when we began to talk about Martin Luther King, and that I wanted to continue on from yesterday in the celebration. I think there's a lot of reflection that we need to do. I think there should be a lot of reading going on over the weekend of the various materials that are available to us to really glean from Martin Luther King's heart and his mind for justice. And so John suggested that he wanted to look at the letter from Birmingham Jail, and so in the next segment, I have a clip for us to do a little listening and then we'll do a little discussion.
Speaker 1: Knowing that our break is coming up soon, John, I want thank you for bringing our attention once again to the matters of Birmingham. Looking forward to that discussion when we call KBLA Talk fifteen eighty and before we begin with Gina's clip in the next segment, I'm going to probe mister Lesciotis is thinking why the letter from a Birmingham jail? Why did that stand out for him? Then? Why should we be reflective upon it now? And what are some of its consequences. Gina will then come back forward with a clip of doctor King regarding the letter from a Birmingham jail, and then we will begin a robust conversation. I'm Jesse Jackson, Jr. This is the ninety seventh birthday of Martin Luther King Junior, born on January fifth, a holiday period celebrated on the third Monday of the month of January by the by virtue of Congress and the signature of the President of the United States. I'm Jesse Jackson, Gi Moore on k Late Talk fifteen eighty. When we come forward, Gatown Junior show a regular career John Leciotis, Rod, Let's talk about it. Series Political activists, analysts, and every second Tuesday of the month guest on the Jesse Jackson Junior Show series Let's Talk About It. John Leciotis puts real talk in the middle of the floor about the ways Republicans view democrats and vice versa, the ways democrats view Republicans in a dialogue filled with messaging and messenger troops. John Lasiotis, welcome forward to the program. I'll give the appropriate introduction of John Diggles in just a moment, but why don't we get started, John.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Jesse.
Speaker 1: It's an honor to have you John.
Speaker 3: The letters are a.
Speaker 5: Great interest in me, Jessic because I think they really speak to the times what's going on in America right now. And what first drew me to the letters is when I found out that he wrote those letters to a number of white religious leaders in America that we're urging King to slow down and to wait for the courts to take action.
Speaker 3: And King wrote a rather.
Speaker 5: Lengthy letter explaining that he had been waiting a long time and the courts hadn't acted, and more importantly, that people have a moral responsibility to break unjust laws, and he was tired of waiting for quite frankly, the moderate white to step up and to do something. He had known that he wasn't going to get the support of the right wing in the Kupleux Klan. He knew he had the support of the white liberals, but it was the white moderate that was really standing in the way of progress. And I look at what's happening across America right now and I kind of see something similar where we've got the moderates that are kind of standing off to the side just watching what's going on. Certainly for the last election, they stood on the sidelines. You know, thirty percent of America at least didn't come out to vote. And so it kind of resonates with me the letters because it speaks to what's happening today.
Speaker 1: John Diggles is and serves as CEO and founder of Ascent Strategy, providing services and digital transformation, corporate storytelling, employer brand strategy, marketing of clinical research, and ROI measurement. The agency's IP uses proprietary communications algorithms combining online community insights with medical professional perspectives, patient observations, and market data to promote adoption of telemedicine, remote patient monitoring and healthcare, artificial intelligence, among other offerings. John, welcome forward to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Jesse. It's good to be with you.
Speaker 3: It's good to be with you. For fat Meat Friday.
Speaker 1: This is awesome, Hey, John. An insightful observation by John lesiotis about the white moderate John.
Speaker 2: It always stood out to me the letter from Birmingham Jail about the clarity that Reverend King had sitting in there, and think in that setting, in that setting, he was able to put these words for it, and that was his thoughts about how he needed to engage the country. I think John hit it right on the head. When politics becomes so hot and sides dig in, you have your far left, far left, far right sides dig in, so much of the middle scenes to tune out sometimes, and I think that was Reverend Kings is that the struggle has to be one you have to help us get this. We need your voice, we need your attention to this. And I feel that way about a lot of things, including healthcare and health inequity. You know, Reverend King said something that also changed my life. He said that injustice in healthcare is one of the most severe forms of inequality. It's why I started this company and why we do what we do because the only way to bridge to address those inequities is to think differently, be involved, and look to new solutions.
Speaker 1: Gina, you're a Princeton Theological Seminary graduate. Congratulations on recently receiving your Masters of Arts in Theology.
Speaker 4: Genie.
Speaker 1: About the heavyweights, uh to the show today with a very very heavy topic, the letter from a Birmingham jail.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, and I want to go to the clip, but I also want to tell our listeners who are not able to see us that John and John are white and so.
Speaker 1: I love.
Speaker 4: Conversation because conversations we need to be having across the aisles at church.
Speaker 2: I thought they were born.
Speaker 1: Across Gina. These are two wild and crazy guys that I thought were born black guys. Pour down deep Now.
Speaker 4: I love this because you know, our Monday host in the first hour, mister Krim and mister Class always talks about the fact that we cannot ignore that there are people who are open to all subject matters, and it takes all of us, It takes the entire village, the people down the street and around the corner to raise this child called America. And so with that, Jesse, if you're okay, let's go ahead and let's go.
Speaker 1: To the clip.
Speaker 6: Dear fellow clergyman, While confined here in the Birmingham City Jail, I came across your recent statement calling my present activities unwise and untimely. Seldom do I pause to answer criticism of my work and ideas. If I sought to answer all the criticisms that cross my desk, my secretaries would have little time for anything other than such correspondence in the course of the day, and I would have no time for constructive work. But since I feel that you are men of genuine goodwill and that your criticisms are sincerely set forth, I want to try to answer your statement in what I hope will be patient and reasonable terms. I think I should indicate why I am here in Birmingham, since you have been influenced by the view which argues against outsiders coming in. I have the honor of serving as president of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference, an organization operating in every Southern state with headquarters in Atlanta, Georgia. We have some eighty five affiliated organizations across the South, and one of them is the Alabama Christian Movement for Human Rights. Frequently we share staff, educational and financial resources with our affiliates. Several months ago, the affiliates here in Birmingham asked us to be on call to engage in a nonviolent direct action program if such were deemed necessary. We readily consented, and when the hour came, we lived up to our promise. So I, along with several members of my staff, am here because I was invited here. I am here because I have organizational ties here. But more basically, I am in Birmingham because injustice is here. Just as the prophets of the eighth century BC left their villages and carried there thus saith the Lord far beyond the boundaries of their hometowns. And just as the apostle Paul left his village of Tarsus and carried the gospel of Jesus Christ to the far corners of the great go Roman world, so am I compelled to carry the gospel of freedom beyond my own hometown. Like Paul, I must constantly respond to the Macedonian call for aid. Moreover, I am cognizant of the interrelatedness of all communities and states. I cannot sit idly by in Atlanta and not be concerned about what happens in Birmingham. In justice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. We are called in an inescapable.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Jesse Jackson Junior show. That was Senator Rafael Warnock, Reverend Senator Rafael Warnock, the pastor and to a significant degree in terms of the ministry of Martin Luther King Junior, the pastor of the Ebenezer Baptist Church who happens to serve in the United States Senate from Georgia, a church that Martin Luther King Junior was pastor of, and so the historical significance of that pastor being able to read that speech on the floor of the United States Senate is as remarkable as the idea of writing the speech in the first place. Gina, I want to allow you and opportunity to engage with mister Lessiotis and mister Diggles on the target of this speech, white evangelical clergymen who are questioning the theological tradition of doctor King and the freedom movement.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks, Jesse, I mean it was pretty self explanatory, and you're right Reverend Warnock reading that being a member of the clergy and the members of the Senate, Reverend Doctor cong Senator Raphael Warnock addressing the question in that part of the letter where people are questioning him and trying to keep us in boxes and keeping civil rights and injustice in a certain place, and retaining things that quote unquote belong in this political box or this biblical box, if you will. In this idea of church and state being separate except for our morality and our level of justice towards one another. Uh is inextricably tied to.
Speaker 1: The law.
Speaker 4: So when you think about that, and you and you hear that, and I know that both of you are engaging with conversations on the golf court. Well we're not golfing right now, but I know, John, that just comes to mind all the time. With John engaging in these conversations with your friends who likely don't listen to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show, who may not be familiar with or any of King's speeches for that matter. You know, how do you relate the idea that King was addressing in that letter and the responsibility that we have.
Speaker 5: Well that's a tough one because most of the times when you bring up you know, because another thing I loved about the letters from Birmingham Jails is the quote you ended the tape with an injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. I think that's really pertinent now, and I bring it up to my friends because a couple of them happen to be Jewish to live up here in the North Shore, and you know, we talked a little bit about what's going on with Gaza, and I explained to them that there's some bit of a relationship on us turning our blind eye to what's going on in Gaza and what's happening in our country, you know, because that's an injustice over there, and we should be almost as concerned, if not more concerned about it because of the genocide there, than we are what's going on at home. But yet we kind of detach ourselves from it, and we pretend because most of us live in a pretty comfortable environment. We're not threatened with job and security necessarily, or food and security. Our neighborhoods are relatively safe. So in our little world, you know, despite what's going on around us, things aren't all that awful. So I think a lot of people just getting that comfort zone and turn to blind and I of what's going on around him.
Speaker 1: John, But you are you are seminary trained. You you understand directly the target audience. Of course John Lecialdas does as well. But you understand like John does, the target audience to which Doctor King was addressing. Uh. This this this profound moral treatise your thoughts.
Speaker 2: John, And that's the that is the power. The first time I read the letter, I understood where he was coming from. You almost see doctor King. I mean, I'm in communications right. You have to write to your audience. He's masterful at it. And I think, you know, one of my favorite things about the way to celebrate his day and this time of year is to take parts, quotes and parts of that letter and put him on social media to remind you see the power of what he wrote and who he was writing to. He knew how to get his message across. One of the great communicators of our time, of the of the twentieth century. He set an example for us how to invite people in. And by the way, speaking about how to invite people in, you know, all my friends are listening because I texted them the whole link to this there listens.
Speaker 4: Well by the way.
Speaker 1: We should all do that. Hey, John, let me can I can?
Speaker 2: I can?
Speaker 1: I can I pivot? I know we don't have about a minute and thirty seconds before we come forward. But given that John Lesiotis was in the advertising business and he understands targeting and audience, and given that you're in the algorithmic business for healthcare and you understand the significance of targeting and audience, doctor King, without all the technology that we have today, was deliberately targeting an audience. Do you know anybody under age forty today who's targeting the right wing evangelical community with the kind of moral clarity that Martin Luther King Junior brought forward in the Birmingham letter.
Speaker 3: I don't. I mean I didn't follow him very closely.
Speaker 5: But wasn't Charlie Kirk kind of a religious didn't he talk about religion and Christianity?
Speaker 1: Well he should, he should while alive, should have been targeted, in my opinion. But I'm not aware of anyone who is making a moral appeal to them about the injustice that's taking place in our land quite like doctor King did at age under age thirty nine when he wrote this letter from a Birmingham jail. He's targeting this audience. John Digles, No, he is.
Speaker 2: And he's as you said, he didn't have the technology. I think a new generation of influencers is doing this. The words of doctor King could get more, a lot more into that conversation, right, because he did not have the technology. But I think the power of his letter and what makes it so timeless again is that setting and the sense of invitation urgency that he pulled through and so much of that what got people involved.
Speaker 1: I'm Jesse Jackson. You're listening to Jessey Jackson Junior Show on KBLA Talk fifteen eighty. It's Fat Need Friday's More with John Diggles, Gina Towns and John Lets the other Woman.
Speaker 3: We come form Yes.
Speaker 1: Jackson Junior Show on KBLA Talk fifteen eighty. We are commemorating, celebrating, thinking, and reflecting on the ninety seventh birthday of Martin Luther King Junior. That's the period from January fifteenth to the third Monday in the month celebrate celebrated as a federal holiday. Are very special guests on Fat Meat Fridays. Our regular contributor every Friday is none other than the creator of the Jesse Jackson Junior Show, Gina Towns. Gina, Welcome forward to the show.
Speaker 4: Hi Jesse Jackson Junior and Happy Friday. Thank god. It is a lot going on in the midst of our King celebration yes week this week, and I can take them if you don't mind, Can I take a moment?
Speaker 1: I was going to introduce our two guests again. You can do it again.
Speaker 4: I want to just give a shout out to the members for I did not forget but the members of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority incorporated those of us from Delta Sigma Theta wish you a happy Founder's Day. And I also didn't want to do it on the King Holiday, so let me just make that right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hey, all right, very special guest in this hour, our John Lescioti. John Leaciotis is a former account exec and officer of outdoor advertising and media targeting and campaign targeting, but also nonprofit and for profit targeting of individuals and John Diggles is one of the relations leading public relations professionals who's using artificial intelligence and logarithms for targeting messages and what we have here is a message from Martin Luther King Junior and the letter from a Birmingham jail targeting evangelicals and those who are questioning why he's in Birmingham in the first place. And I'm going to this conversation has been largely inspired by John Lesiotis, and I'd like John to further dive deeper into why do you think doctor King wanted to target this group that was criticizing him. I can only imagine on the outside, by the way Gina, they were saying, I'm glad he's in jail, I'm glad there, and he took the opportunity while in jail to say I really should not be here, but like Ball, if I have to suffer through this to get your attention, I will.
Speaker 5: John leilas well, I think he from what I understand, he picked Birmingham because the Birmingham students from an African American college Downer had organized at Boycott earlier and had been successful. It was a department store, and the department store lost a bunch of business, so I think he saw an opportunity, a soft spot perhaps in Birmingham to make his point. The reason I think he get it with regards to the and I think it was maybe seven or eight ministers and a couple of rabbis in there as well. It was multi denominational as in a way. I think you wanted to break the patriarchy that was you know, that's part of religion. I mean it's male dominated and there's a pecking order in it, and I think he saw that he had to kind of break through that to convince these people that they had to come along for the ride, that they couldn't wait any longer.
Speaker 1: You know, John, Before bring John Diggles this, let me ask you one other follow up question. He is he is careful in the language that he chooses in this letter always, and it's clear to me that he must have understood the historical significance of it, that we would be discussing it almost fifty years later. So he gave a considerable thought to the conversation with our reflection, our present reflection upon what he did then, so that we might arrive at a conclusion today. You're a meeting a targeting expert specialist, John, what is doctor King telling us today from the letter from a Birmingham champl Well.
Speaker 5: I think there's so many messages in it, but I think most importantly it's it's a call to action. It's it's a call for those moderates to finally grow a spine, for lack of better definition, and to take and to get off the sidelines and do something. And it's not everyone doing the same thing, but it's everyone doing something. And I think that's what he's urging the moderates to do.
Speaker 1: John, Let's jotiss. I'm sorry, John Diggles, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: John, hit it just right. And one of my look one of the I've I've spent my career in communications. I love the power of language.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite things that doctor King does in the letter is that he takes words and labels that were placed on him and on the civil rights movement and he uses them to his advantage. Doctor King was seen as an extremist and so many pastors could not be involved, and he reminded them that Jesus Christ was also viewed as an extremist, and that famous line of the letter that comes forth and he says, so, then I ask you, shall we be an extremist for hate? Or shall we be an extremist for love?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: He gave them that power, that permission for pastors to say to their congregations, to say, just as Christ had to stand and fight for love and for faith to start his church. So Reverend King also is this extremist for love to change us and invite us into the movement. It's a masterful use of language.
Speaker 1: That permission, Gina, that permission.
Speaker 4: To John decided to take a moment. I just gotta tell you, the agency transforms into the chart. I'm not mad at it, because you know, if you think about it, the things that we do in our lives. You know, sometimes we get really bogged down by a job. But if you are, if you have a career and you're doing something you love, it really does become ministry. And so the things that John just said are applicable across the board. But what I you know, and thank you for that, John, You're gonna either pick a side, I think is what he was getting at. And then you know, from the very beginning he was like, usually I don't deal with the criticism that comes. But because this is the subject matter that we're talking about, it is love versus Hayden, we all claim to be on the same page on that he's also dealing with the hypocrisy, you know. And so we are at a place where our hypocrisy, while it has been in the back ground a little bit, because we've made some strides. I mean, that's how we're viewed, you know, around the world to some extent in some of our dealings and abroad. But then when it comes to how people see the things that go on at home, they see that hypocrisy. And I love that. Martin Luther King was like, I'm going to sit here, right here in this jail cell, and I am going to deal with the issue of hypocrisy on what we say we believe. And there was no better place.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 4: For it to have been done. Because if you look at any anybody who got used throughout the Scripture, they spend some time in jail or a solitude or something. He left them with their thoughts, that's for sure.
Speaker 1: Mister diggles Orton. So let's see what is your response.
Speaker 5: Well, she mentioned a key word to hypocrisy, and I would make the case that the country was kind of built on hypocrisy.
Speaker 3: Gina Jesse. We got a constitution that states that.
Speaker 5: All men are created equals, but yet half the men that signed that Constitution went home to slaves.
Speaker 3: So today we fight wars to bring peace.
Speaker 5: A lot of and a lot of people that are on the right wing right now claim to be Christians. So I think the idea of hypocrisy is kind of a common thread that's run through the history of this country.
Speaker 1: So let's see, mister Diggles.
Speaker 2: It will always stand out for me. The themes of the letters here is that sense of invitation and how he taught pastors who read that and immersed his words to say, Okay, if this is how your congregation sees this, I'll work with the labels they have. I want you to redefine it. And that's what he did and is his letter challenged them, but it also did so as an invitation and with love, and that that was the way I think he really changed the thinking. That's why that letter is so timeless. That's why so many of us should spend this week and posting our favorite parts of it on social We have to remind people of the power of those words.
Speaker 1: I'm Jesse Jackson Junior listening to the Jesse Jackson Junior Show on KBLA Talk fifteen to eighty. This is that meet Fridays with Gina Towns, our very special guest mister John Diggles and mister John leasiotis more when we come forward on KBLA Talk fifteen eight Jackson Junior were bo from Missy Jackson Junior Show on KBLA Talk fifteen eighty. I must share with you before as we enter this last segment of our show per hour, that my mother received an amazing award from the City of Chicago today, presented to her by Brandon Johnson and by the City of Chicago for her more than five six decades of activism and work here in the city, in the mission, and around the country. I'm particularly proud of that on this Elis Martin Luther King Junior ninety seventh birthday. I also want to share that Vice President Kamala Harris was the guest speaker of that at that particular event, and out of the kindness of her heart, at the end of the event, she came to my mother's apartment and spent a good hour, maybe an hour and a half with my father, the Reverend Jesse Jackson. These pictures and these images all belong to my mother as she reflects upon the significance of my father's contribution and to the extent that my father can talk, he did speak with Kamala Harris today. So there's your little breaking news. But Reverend Jackson in the last week has had Stevie Wonder come and visit, Kamala Harris come and visit. In the last month and a half, including Bill Clinton and Hillary Clinton came and visited, and our family is extremely grateful. I have a question that I want to ask Gina of John Lesiotis and John Diggles, But let me start with John Diggles. If Doctor King were alive today, what would you ask him?
Speaker 2: John Diggles, I would ask him about the hardest part of his journey and what he did or what he thought that got him through that. And I would just like to sit with that because I do think that I'd be surprised by that answer about where the hardest part was and what he did to get through it. I would ask him about his doubts about his life's mission and what.
Speaker 1: He did to get through those.
Speaker 2: And I would ask him about any regrets that he had about certain things about how he things he might have learned about how to say something or deliver something that he might have gone back and changed again. To have that conversation would be a blessing. And Jesse, congratulations to your mom. Are ongoing prayers for your father a special day for your.
Speaker 1: Family, John, I appreciate that. You know. When I think about doctor King, I feel like I am speaking to a four hundred year old sage. But he was assassinated at age thirty nine. I want to puss the same question to John, to John Lecio, his John, what would you ask Doctor King today?
Speaker 3: Well, I would ask him, I guess in his dark as hours.
Speaker 5: Other than the Bible, the people that he got inspiration from are the writers that he read uh to get inspiration to get through some of the tough times, especially in jail.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: There had to have been someone that that that he really uh looked up to.
Speaker 1: Gina just put Howard Thurman on you.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 4: He had some meditations through the heart moment.
Speaker 3: I believe.
Speaker 1: I believe today he'd be reading the work of Walter Flucker. I think reading the work of Oberon Hendricks. I think he'd been following Reverend Jackson, Reverend Sharpton. I think he'd be following obviously Andy Young and Reverend Barbara. I'm sorry, John, I need me to cut you off.
Speaker 3: Quid no, no, I agree with it.
Speaker 5: And I remember you mentioned mister Thurman before, so uh, I know he was a great inspiration for for doctor King. But I also did want to follow up with John Dingles. Diggles and mentioned to you about your mother's award and that's terrific for her and uh, hopefully Donald Trump will find out about the and ask.
Speaker 4: Ask him to.
Speaker 2: Award the Jack.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 4: Man, you know what I had almost just a whole moment of slip off the show, sliding down the side of the right there. Okay, So anyway, so John Diggles that I thought your question was fascinating. And here's why. To know what King might have felt as fear or concerned, I think makes him relatable to where we are right now. And because the issue of fear and the power that fear can have. You know, if he said, you know what, yeah, I was scared sometimes, you know, being in the in the burming. Let me say it again, Birmingham jail. You know you might not make it out if not for the President calling uh and and for you know, the the the pressure that it was to make sure that you were safe in the jail. There were plenty of people who did not make it out of some of the circumstances that they made. And even now with what we see going on in Minneapolis in a heightened level of interaction between ice, isn't there an amazing silence?
Speaker 1: Isn't there an amazing silence? The very silent and betrayal that doctor King is talking about a Birmingham? Aren't we seeing that right now? By the I know Father Flagger's raising hell. I know certain ministers are raising hell, but are there enough ministers raising hell?
Speaker 4: Is it time for a letter to be written? I mean I have from a jail, and you do see, you know, we don't want to ever take away from you know, what is being said and what is being done in people that are standing in the gap. But there's far too and this is what King is addressing, there are far too many people who are not saying anything about what we're seeing in Minneapolis.
Speaker 1: G Can I give a word of hope to our ASCAR, to guests in this hour because I do know that we're moving forward in just a moment, maybe two minutes for John lesiotis followed by two minutes from John Diggles. Mister lesiotis a word of hope on this the ninety seventh birthday of Martin Luther King Junior.
Speaker 5: Well, I do think that there's reason to be hopeful here, Jesse, because I'm convinced in my heart that there are more good people out there than otherwise. And as a personal note, I've got two friends up in Minneapolis. My wife was just up there on business recently, and she was explaining to me that the community is really pulling together. The white community is pulling together up there. Two of her friends are shopping for some Hispanic neighbors and are showing their kids.
Speaker 3: Back and forth at the school.
Speaker 5: And I see a lot of resistance here in Chicago, and I really do think that this is the issue.
Speaker 3: That's going to push a lot of moderates to take some action.
Speaker 5: So I do hold out optimism and hope, and I think, especially with doctor King's birthday coming up, a lot of people are going to start reflecting and understanding that we can't sit by and wait for someone else to do something.
Speaker 1: I appreciate that, mister lasiotis boy, You've just given me a bunch of ideas, The idea that we should be helping our Latino brothers and sisters and their children get to and from school and not exposing their parents to the plague that is troubling all of our communities.
Speaker 2: Mister Dickles, I think the message of hope is right there at the end of doctor King's letter when he shows the pastors and he talks about the non violent protesters who are there, who've done this entire time, who have stood up, and he says specifically for the sublime courage, for their willingness to suffer and their amazing discipline in the midst of great provocation. Is that now that that sentence, those words fit so well for today, right now, what's happening in Minneapolis and across the country. It is a reminder of what took place in that journey and what the discipline and commitment it took to bring forth meaningful change. I'll be spending some time and I'm going to read that ending a couple of times. I hope everyone does as well. There's incredible hope there because we remember where we came from.
Speaker 1: Those words and phrases, Gina, about forty five seconds remains in our program.
Speaker 4: Well, I do like the graphic never give up, never give up our dignity, our faith, and our ability to dream of a world rid of color lines and a world that is better than the one that we left behind, that that was left to us. And so there will be trials, there will be tribulations, but we are reaching for brotherhood and what that takes us for us to be fearless and to stay awake and to seek after the knowledge that is Martin Luther King. So that's what I've got for you.
Speaker 1: Grateful for your presence on our show.
Speaker 3: John Lesiotis, thank you, Jesse, love you.
Speaker 1: You know you're always welcome and I love you too. And there's nothing you can do about it. I got that from Tavis. Thank you for being on our show. Mister Diggles, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: It's good to see you.
Speaker 1: And there's nothing you can do about it either.
Speaker 6: We love you.
Speaker 1: I'm Jesse Jackson. Been listening to Jackson doing your show on Fat Meat Fridays with Gina Towns. More with Gina Towns when we come forward on k Talk