Speaker 1: Welcome to Spark Faith with me, doctor Chris Sargent. This show is about renewed health, rooted in truth and restored by grace. What does finding health look like for you? Do you have a vision for your future self and a way to get there. I'm doctor Chris and after thirty three years in functional medicine and a lifelong journey through brain health, weight loss, hormones, mindset, and faith, I know that real transformation doesn't come from willpower or white knuckling your way to wellness. It comes from gratitude.
Speaker 2: Honoring your body as the temple that God created.
Speaker 1: This show is about body stewardship, not shame.
Speaker 2: It's about rewiring your mindset, your metabolism, and your spirit to find lasting health without the grind. I'll help you cut through the noise, see opportunities instead of obstacles, and finally lived the.
Speaker 1: Healthy, purposeful life you will created for. Let's spark faith and transformation together. Spark Faith starts now. Well, Hello everyone, how are you today? My name is doctor Chris Sargent, and I want to welcome you back to the Spark Faith Show. I'm back live. I think the last two episodes or maybe three, we were two episodes we were recorded ahead of time because I got married. So anyway, I'm back and it's really good to be live again. I have to tell you it's been a little bit of a crazy morning already and I yeah. So anyway, today we are going to talk about the things that nobody told you about aging. And I'm really passionate about this, so I'm just going to warn you ahead of time. I can get really cranked up over this because I feel like so many y'all like, just buy into this, Well I'm getting older, blah blah blah. Well now I'm thirty five or I'm forty five or whatever age you throw out there, and you're just you just resign yourself to that kind of feeling, whatever that feeling might be. And I am here to tell you that at sixty two, I really don't feel much different than I did when I was forty and some days twenty you know so, And not that I have an unrealistic expectation of what I can do, because there are definitely days that I'm like, oh, there it is, yep, shouldn't have done so much. But at the same time, it's super important to understand that aging is not what we hear on social media. It's definitely not what we hear in the news. It's not what our doctors tell us and our traditional doctors anyway. It is really just aging is just not this process of decline. It doesn't have to be, right, And I think that that's that little saying it doesn't have to be is what I hang on to a lot. My mom hung on to it. She was ninety four, almost ninety four when she passed. And my dad is ninety four now, and you know, he still walks a mile every day. He's you know, he's got some mental things happening, and he's ninety four and it just started a few years ago, so like he's lived a super long, healthy life. And I think, you know, it just doesn't have to look like this decline that starts when you're thirty five or forty or whatever age you know you have in your head, because really, this is this aging thing is just an ongoing process of adaptation. And I really think that a lot of women expect less from themselves every decade. However, your body can reach main incredibly adaptable regardless of your age. And here's the thing, right, our goal is not to become twenty five again. I mean, some of y'all may think that, and I'm just not one of those people that thinks that that's important. I want to be the best that I can at the age that I am, and I also want to plan for being able to get on the floor with my grandkids when I'm eighty, right, I want to be able to get on the floor of my great Garan kids. Maybe when I'm eighty five or ninety, I don't So that's what we're I'm planning for.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Whatever I'm doing today is going to take me down the road twenty years, right, And we know that out of health anyway, right, Like diabetes doesn't Type two diabetes doesn't start when you're forty five and get diagnosed. That started twenty years prior. That started when you got out of call and got a job where you were sitting and didn't go to the gym as much, maybe didn't eat as well because you couldn't afford it or whatever. But that's when those things start. They start twenty years ago, and we're just where you're at in your health is probably whatever happened over the last twenty ish years or so. It could be something that remarkable that happened. You know, you may have had an accident, you may have had a late pregnancy, you may have had a pregnancy that just like took you off sideways. However, the goal again is not to become twenty five again, the goal is to continue building at forty five, so that fifty five looks like forty five, and that sixty five looks like forty five or were thereabouts, right, and that eighty five can look like sixty five. That's the forward thinking of what I want to talk about today. So what if one of the most damaging things about aging isn't necessarily aging itself. What if it's the story, right, this is what we've been talking about already. What if it's the story that we've been told about aging? All right? Think about that again. What if it's aging in itself isn't the problem. What if it's the story that you've been told about aging, or that we've been told about aging, and the story that you're telling yourself because of whatever your parents told you about themselves aging, Like, can you see where there are some generational tendencies where oh, well my mom did this, so I'm going to be that way and where do we need to break up some of those generational tendencies? Right, So the story kind of goes like this, Right, everything slows down, everything declines, everything gets decrepit. Right, you start like stiffness, all the things, you're gonna be in pain, Right, it's inevitable. I'm gonna be weaker, it's inevitable. Fatigue. Well, of course I'm tired, I'm old. And so while there are certain changes that do occur with age, and I don't want to dismiss that completely, that's just not the whole story, right, because what if what if it's deficiencies over time that's created the fatigue or a lack of resources, like we've talked about on some of my other episodes. What if it's that instead of aging, right, it's creating the symptoms of aging. However, what if you started recovering and putting yourself into nervous system recovery, into gastrointestinal recovery, mental health recovery, Like, what if we put ourselves into recovery mode? What would happen even at X age right? Forty five fifty five sixty five. I mean I mentioned it often that I kind of crashed a little bit at last Christmas. And you know, I can see that four or five bad nights of sleep make a big difference in my energy level and my ability to concentrate. And so I'm much much more aware of recovery time now and how much more important that is. Like I didn't sleep all Monday night, and I was supposed to go in on Tuesday for leg day, like Tuesday's leg day, and I realized that I was not recovered well. So I waited until yesterday for leg day. And when I woke up this morning, I'm like, Okay, I definitely had leg day. And I usually take a day off after leg day before I go back into arm and legs back to back, So I really I decided today that I was just going to take a really long walk with a dog. We walked like three and a half miles, got into zone two, which is that great happy space of cardiovascular time, and like, okay, So I just adapted to the way that my body's feeling and really becoming really more cognizant of that. So here's the thing. Your body never stops adapting. Okay. We adapt to exercise easy or not. We adapt to learning. We can adapt to stress, to some extent. Right, we adapt to our environment hot, cold, whatever, We adapt, adapt to our relationships, some good, some not so good, and we adapt to challenges. And that doesn't stop at forty fifty, seventy eighty five, right, life, all those things happen. And you know there's no lack of stories even on social media about people learning new things at an older age. Right, new languages, new travels, new skills, dancing, all these things when you're over seventy over eighty, right, you see the woman ninety two year old woman scaling a wall or some silliness. But like, that's the capacity that we can have. We can build muscle up until the day we die, if we choose to, we can build it. Does it come easy like it did in our twenties, Probably not? However, right, it can still happen. We can still adapt to that. We can improve our balance like standing on one foot later in life, we can improve our cardiovascular fitness. We can strengthen relationships, we can shift relationships, we can shift our mental health, and we can definitely grow spiritually throughout our life. And then what wisdom do we get to bring into that right later in our life? So aging is really about adaptation, and it doesn't eliminate adaptation. The body remains trainable, and I love that, right, the brain remains trainable. When I first started seminary a couple of years ago, y'all, I couldn't concentrate for more than about twenty or thirty minutes. Like, I just didn't have the capacity the brain train that I needed to move into the amount of reading that was necessary. And I hear it all the time. Oh I fall asleep when I read, blah blah blah. Yes, and this was my new job. This was part of my new job, right, Like I have to read a lot, and so over the past two and a half years, i've I can sit down and read for three or four hours. Do I take breaks? Sure, about every hour and a half. However I can get right back in it. And it's just a trained brain. So our body remains trainable, our brain remains trainable, on our soul remains teachable. So in all of that, it's really about capacity and not perfection. And I have said this, like progress is so much more impressive than perfection. Right, progress is so much more impressive than perfection. And I know that I spent a lot of years pursuing perfection. And I know that my audience has spent a lot of years pursuing perfection because the chatrict's like, right, the perfect diet, the perfect workout, the perfect fat reducing thing, the perfect routine, the perfect body whatever. But life really doesn't reward perfection. You will be rewarded in capacity and your ability to do more right, your ability to recover better, your ability to adapt and respond as opposed to react right, to carry responsibility in a way that allows Jesus into that heavy and into the trials of your life that you realize that you need help. And it's not weakness to ask for that help. We navigate difficulties so much better without falling apart. So think about two women facing the same challenge. Right, one is completely overwhelmed and the other one handles it well most of the time. The difference isn't about intelligence at all, right, It isn't motivation. The overhepwhelmed woman wants to be able to handle it. It's really about capacity and her ability to step back and say, Okay, what's important here, what needs to come first? And sometimes when we are in overwhelmed, it's really hard to see that, and we haven't trained ourselves to slow down in those moments of overwhelm, so that like overwhelmed to me, just feels like this giant tsunami. But if we just stand still, the wave will pass right and we can take a deep breath and as the tide recedes, we can go Okay, that was there's the tsunami. Now I can look at it and figure out a better way to handle it. So I think that there's a reality in midlife that we are managing so many things careers and marriages and aging parents, adult children, finances, sometimes some health concerns. So the goal isn't perfection. The goal is becoming strong enough mentally, emotionally, spiritually, physically to carry what life requires. Right. Y'all know, I took care of my mom for five years, and there was a place in there that I had to figure out how to take care of myself so that I could take care of her in a healthier way. Right, So that's where the goal is becoming strong enough, And it's not about carrying things perfectly. It's about becoming strong enough to carry things better, right, not some kind of perfection that you see on Instagram. In those moments and y'all. You know that strength is not necessarily bigger muscles, right, And you know that we all think like, Okay, some squad, some dumbbell, some gym, I hate the gym, blah, I don't. I love the gym. Put that's because I put my air pods in and just do my thing. I don't pay attention to anybody else anyway. But yes, physical strength does matter, but it can also show up not just in that physical strength, right, the ability to move through life and pop up and downstairs or whatever, but it also shows up an emotional strength. And thinking about this this morning, like our mental and emotional ability to accept whatever things are happening at the current moment, you know, like not just not let it go, right, We do have to let go, but in that process we have to open our hand and look at what is happening here. And it doesn't just like okay, let it go. No, it's looking at it and saying, well, okay, I see this thing, and I have to accept that this is where I'm at. Right, It's really about the ability to accept and the quicker that we can accept what's happening, the quicker we can move into how to solve it. So aging is about being able to move quicker into solutions and not hanging on to things from the past. What about relational strength, your ability to communicate and forgive and stay connected and stay engaged in all of that? And spiritual strength like our trust in God when circumstances are so challenging that we don't see a way through, but He already sees our way through. So the strongest women I know really are not necessarily the women who live the most way, right. They are the women who have really developed this capacity in every area of their life and are working on capacity in an area that they know that it's not perfect and it's never going to be perfect. So I just I want to kind of come into the last little bit of this with some maybe some hidden strength builders. Right. We may think that strength comes from comfort, like we oh, I need some comfort food or I just need to tell and be comfy, But really we gain strength through challenge, right, and recovery from those challenges. We've talked about muscle recovery, and that's where the strength is built is in the recovery, not necessarily at the gym. But this isn't this is not overwhelming challenge this is appropriate challenge. That's what's going to build strength, Like muscles become stronger when they're challenged, but also when they recover well, resilience grows because adversity is encountered and we can recover well. Right, Wisdom develops through experience and what we see from from our years along the way and gather that up right in recovery and slowing down to see what we've learned, and faith really deep and through this crazy dependence that when we lean into that, it gets better, right, it just gets better. So we're not talking about trauma. We're talking about growth, right the body. The body really grows when demands are balanced with recovery. And this is what we connected this. I want to connect this to my last episode because that we talked a lot about recovery and how important recovery is. Stress without recovery just leads to exhaustion, right, Challenge without recovery leads to actually lower strength and more overwhelm. But challenge with recovery leads to growth. And strength is built in this space between the challenge and the recovery, and that's where we build the strength that we're talking about at this time. So let's bring in stewardship, because you all know that this is about stewarding our body and stewarding things around us. But one of the cool things in Scripture is that growth is expected right from the beginning. From the beginning, right, Trees grow, Seeds are planted, and plants grow, Disciples grow, Faith grows. God designed living things to develop, and he expects that development in our faith too. We're not just supposed to remain stagnant. Yep I believe in Christ. Yep I believe in God. And that's where we stop.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: This is sanctification. This is growth and stewardship isn't preserving yourself in some sort of comfort bubble, right, it's participating in healthy growth and strength. And as we age, we can look back on the times that we kind of kept ourselves in a bubble and isolated, and finally when we burst out of it was when the growth and the change happened. So it's really about participating in healthy growth.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: This means you continue to learn, Right, I'm in seminary. That doesn't mean you need to go to seminary, but maybe you get on your second language that you always wanted, or the piano or something that you always wanted to learn, Like you want to learn how to paint, go learn how to paint right movement. If you've never been to the gym before, that is fine. Get your sneakers. They don't have to be cute, but they need to be new, and go to hit the sidewalk or a treadmill or someplace that you can enjoy nature just for a little while. What about serving people right That gets us out of ourself and into the world, and we can get so much more out of that. What about connection? We can connect in that service place we can trust we can adapt through every single season of our life life. So stewardship isn't really maintaining what you have, it's faithfully developing what you've been given. So anyway, over the last four weeks, we've learned that metabolism is life, stress requires recovery, fatigue absolutely reflects demands, and strength builds capacity. And so next week we're going to wrap all those up into a really fun episode. Because health is not about perfection. Health is not the absence of symptoms. Health is not a perfect lab report. Health is the ability to adapt, recover, and engage fully in the life that God has given you and that's exactly where we're headed next week. So the body, the mind, emotions, the spirit can really remain capable of growth and adaptation throughout your life. Strength is not about perfect It's about the capacity to meet the demands of life with resilience and wisdom and faithfulness. Right. So I want to leave you with that today and just remember that we are here to renew health rooted in truth and restored by grace. And I love you guys, Hit subscribe, hit like, find me on social and you know, follow me? Why not? I might have a couple good things to say. I've been out here for a long time, so love you guys, have a fantastic day. Love you bye. You've been listening to Spark Faith with me, Doctor Chris Sargent. This show is about renewed health, rooted in truth and restored by grace. Tune in every Thursday morning at nine thirty am Pacific on the Transformation Talk Radio for more simple faith fue old stuff to live the vision God placed in your heart. Are you ready to take the next step? Schedule a Discovery call or connect with me at doctor Chris Sargeant dot com. That's d r k R I S sergeant dot com. While you're there, download my free ebook Endless Energy, The six non Negotiable Keys to Endless Energy, and sign up for an upcoming masterclass. Don't forget to subscribe, like share the show, and I'd love to connect with you on social media at doctor Chris Sargeant. Let's keep sparking faith and transformation together. You can't wait to see y'all next time.