Speaker 1: Welcome to Truth Time with doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner. We counted all joy per usual to be together with you today. We appreciate you tuning in to our show. This is our teaching Thursday, which is absolutely the best day of the week for doctor West and myself with regards to Truth Time, because we get the opportunity and it is indeed an opportunity to talk about historic luminaries, both those who have gone on to the ancestral plane and those who are still right with us. Today we get to talk about them, deconstruct some of the things that they've done throughout their life and the impact that these people still have on us today. On this day, we are talking about somebody who is still here with us, which is so so exciting, and that is Reverend Jesse Jackson. Now Reverend Jackson was born on October eighth, nineteen forty one in Green Greenville, South Carolina, and there is no dash doc because he is still right here with us. I know for many people, Reverend Jesse Lewis Jackson, civil rights leader, a minister in the Christian Black Liberation theology tradition, came up through many of the luminary civil rights leaders like Reverend doctor Martin Luther King Jr. And so many others, The type of exposure that he was able to have to those leaders, being a son of the South, developing his oratory skills. He is a great orator. When people talk about people who can rhyme and string the words together, baby, you always got to think of Reverend Jesse Lewis Jackson being able to do that, most famous for most known for running for President of the United States of America not once but twice in the eighties. When we think about modern day twentieth century type progressivism, you cannot talk about that without lifting up Reverend Jackson and the whole notion of bringing a rainbow coalition together, and that when I think about the rainbow coalition, also got to take it back to Chairman Fred Hampton, who has a quote about a rainbow coalition. We're seeing how all of this is in the it's in the zeigeist like nobody, no one person thought of these things. They come together, and I think different people at different times they pick up the justice mantle, and certainly Reverend Jesse Jackson is one of those. His wife, Jacqueline, is a phenomenal woman his children magnificent. I am the closest. I am the the closest to Uh Jesse Jackson Junior, who is a colleague with us on UH on this network, and UH and and and and his and his and his sister who I love, Santita, who I call well, she and I really are the closest, but Santita, who I affectionately call s j. But the family, from Jonathan who's in Congress, to usup who runs the Rainbow Push, I mean just all of his children are absolutely gifted and fantastic and grew up in that civil rights got to give Back tradition. It is in their blood. It started with their parents, and that is Jacqueline and Reverend Jesse Jackson. So we thought it was fitting to lift him up, to give him his flowers while he is yet alive, and to remind people that although he has not talked about a lot in the tradition of progressivism and in his reflection of he was a physical embodiment of that coming from the black liberation theology tradition, and how he transformed the Democratic Party and had it held to his principles, would be a better party today. How fitting as Democrats are trying to figure out who they are, what they are, who they stand for. Then to talk about the one and only Reverend Jesse Lewis.
Speaker 2: Jackson, Oh ooh, that's so real. You hitting all kind of nails on the head. Jesse Jackson Jr. The world historical figure. He's a rhetorical genius. He's what I would call an always their activists, which is to say that any time black folk are catching hair, he's all ways there. That's something that really Brother Al Sharpton learned from Jesse as a student. It makes the difference to be there and then to be able to provide both word and witness. And Jesse Jackson Jr. Has been the grandest exemplar of what it means to be always there and using one's rhetorical talent and institutional aspiration that cast a light on first and foremost black people catching hair. Hell, but you're right about the Rainbow Coalition, Tiede Fred Hampton and others. He's been concerned about indigenous People's concerned about poor whites. He's been concerned about working people. He's been concerned about Palestinians. He's been concerned about Syrians. He's been concerned about Africans. When you look over his life, you see that kind of localism and into nationalism, into Wolfing. And you're absolutely right that he comes out of the legacy of Martin King, but he is much more tied to the urban North, even though he comes out of Springfield Baptist Church in Greenville, South Carolina. And he was also hipped. You know, he made the almost with canball addle country preacher. He had a style and a charisma that resonated with a lot of young black folk in the north and in the cities. That was very different than Martin King. There's no doubt about that, very very different. And when I think the history books are written correctly that he will be viewed as one of the great legats of Martin King, but at the same time he will have his own distinctive stamp. Given the fact that he emerges at a moment in which America goes right wing across the board, exemplified by Reagan. He's running in the Reagan era. And then of course, you know he's now at the end of his life, God blessing with the Parking Parkinson's disease, and he's experiencing another you know, neo fascist moment, another swing to the right in the American political untexting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, he really is. I mean he is quite amazing. He is a force. You're listening to Truth Time with doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner. This is our teacher in Thursday, and we are highlighting the life and the continuously building of a legacy for the one and only Reverend Jesse Lewis Jackson. When we come forward, will continue this discussion. Thank you for joining us. This is a Truth Time with doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner. This is our fabulous teach in Thursday and this Thursday, we are talking about the life and continuously a building the legacy of the one and only Reverend Jesse Lewis Jackson, Junior, who made history running for president of these United States of America in the eighties. It was nineteen eighty four and nineteen eighty eight. He forever changed a complexion and I mean that literally and figuratively of the body politic in this country for having the audacity to run and to run with a commitment to build a rainbow coalition coming out of a strong a Black liberation theology tradition. Him and his family put a lot on the line because they were different, that they were very much ahead of their time. I know that we both know doctor James Zogby of the Arib American Institute, and I can't help but reflect on the stories that doctor Zogby told me and continues to tell me about his relationship with Reverend Jackson, and that Reverend Jackson was the first politician to actively engage in the light, not behind the scenes, in the light the air of American community and placing doctor James zog would be very prominently in his cabinet, if you will, the people who were on his campaign, when very few politicians, if any, especially running on the presidential level, would even acknowledge that the Arab American community existed, as doctor Zogi tells the story, they wouldn't even take money from the Air of American community. And Reverend Jackson had the intestinal fortitude and the moral clarity to say, oh no, I have this relationship. Oh yeah, Ari of Americans matter too, and I'm not going to run and hide from that just because I'm running for president of the United States of America.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. And of course, I mean, you had Stokely Carmichael and Cleveland Sellers and James Bevel and others in Snick who had already put strong pressures on Martin King to come out not just against Vietnam, but to be critical of the Israeli occupation. And so Jesse again as a younger brother. So Jesse born in forty one, kingborn in twenty nine, nineteen twenty nine, so twelve years between them. You got a generational shift that was taking place. And Jesse of course was deeply, deeply shaped not just by the civil rights movement coming out of the Prophetic Black Church, but also what was happening on the street with activists like Stokely Carmichael and the others. Of course, Black Place as a party League of revolutionary Black workers and others were out there with strong critiques of the Israeli occupation and support of Palestinians struggling. And so Jesse does pick pick that up. But Jesse always keeps a foot in the Democratic Party. It's a fascinating tap dance that he's able to maintain. You go back to Gary in nineteen seventy two, that made that historic convention of Black activist and you got you know, Mary Baraka. He's still a black nationalist. You got leftists there, You've got liberals there, You've got progressive there. You got black preachers often patriarchal of course when it comes to the women and what have you, let alone homophobic and transphobic. But he's able to maintain himself. And this is part of his genius. I mean, I consider the Jackson family family of nobility. There's no Jesse without you. Jackie Jackson get her due when the history is written. Santita, as you mentioned, she is a major fors Yes, she is ex and junior. Thank god. He follows our show on tabs in eighty radio talk that and and Jonathan doing his thing in Congress as a member of Democratic Party two and Yusuf. We said, we were just together with Yusuf with a tribute to Jesse and Democratic National Convention now in August in Chicago. So that that's a family of of of of spiritual nobility. But the fact that Jesse wanted to be true to his universalism, and you negate and undercut universalism if you don't have the courage to stand with Palestinians or any other people abandoned and view this taboo in American political discourse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, amen to that, and this, this, this, there's a theme here that you and I often visit in our shows as we confront and wrestle with a contingency within the Black American community. Understandably, so, who say why we worried about them when we got our own troubles while we worried about them when they don't worry about us? When a lot of times in the fight for racial justice, social justice and against anti blackness, which is a specific set an overwhelming hatred for Black people that leads to hatred of other marginalized people, the black community does have a right to ask the air of American community or any other community where yet when it comes to our struggle, because our struggle has liberated you in your struggle globally, and so you and I we talk about that often that when we look at some of our greatest social justice racial justice that pure humanitarian type leaders, they all at some point have either recognized the Palestinian struggles specifically, and or the struggle of other marginalized and oppressed people around the world. That has been our tradition. I think that is part of the strength of our blackness. Sometimes I understand strength can be a weakness, but it does set us apart from many other groups because we have been so deeply rooted in trying to get our own liberation and freedom that it makes us a little more sensitive. Not exclusively sensitive, but we tend to as a group of people be more sensitive to other struggling people. Is that a fair analysis?
Speaker 2: Oh? I think I think it is. I think that when you think of somebody like Martin King or Jesse Jackson and who was willing to risk so much on behalf of oppressed people outside of the Black community. See, brother Martin got crucified in part because of his staying on Vietnam. He's in South Vietnamese. He didn't grow up in no Vietnamese in at l a town. He gets crucified in part because he's standing with poor white folk. He didn't hang out with poor white folk growing up in Atlanta, love with black people. But he's willing to take a risk and even be crucified. Jesse Jackson had the same challenge in regard to the Palestinian question. In regard to going to Syria, Jesse ain't hanging out with no Syrians growing up, and no Jim Crowton up kittting not at all is hard enough dealing with the negroes coming at him when he was growing up with sister Hell and that brother knowing thinks, no, not at all. But he had a moral compass that embraced all oppressed people and he was willing to act on it. He didn't just talk about it, which meant he was willing to pay a cost and that need over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: So sacrifice is a theme in justice work. Everybody that engages in it to some level is making some type of sacrifice, and there is a consequence that we don't often internalize verbally, I think just reminding people there is a consequence for doing good. I mean, certainly we know there's a consequence for doing bad. There's also a consequence for doing good as well, both on the positive end and the negative end. When you have those opposite forces bumping up against you, trying to stop you, and in some cases threatening your physical body, certainly threatening your livelihood. That has been the history of black people who will fought for liberation in this country, that there's been a backlash against those people, both people who are known and unknown. I mean, when you have black people telling stories about when they wanted to go and vote and being called into the office of their bosses telling them one either who to vote for, or don't get caught up, don't stir up, no trouble, or else. People are actually losing their livelihoods. And we might not be able to talk about each and every one of those individuals because there's been so many of them. But the threat, the ever present danger, Doctor West, that Black people face on a regular basis, both on the micro and macro level, only for the simple fact I want our audience to wrap their minds around us. I want them to pick up the phone, to call somebody, to text somebody, only for the simple fact that we're fighting to be.
Speaker 2: Free, absolute and preserve our dignity, our honor.
Speaker 1: Our creativity, all of that.
Speaker 2: Absolute, our humanity. You're absolutely right, and Brother Jesse's always understood that. But in the end, I think it is the roots in the Black church and family that has sustained Brother Jesse, that goes from his mother Helen all the way to his wife Jackie and precious children. He's had very close friends. He's had air ad friends like brothers Agby, He's had vanilla friends by it like brother jack Or. He's had a number of course black friends, Dwight McKee and the whole host of others that's been by him. But also when we think about Jesse, you do have to think about his drive. He's had an ambition that separates him from King. You see, really hadn't planned to be in you know, they asked him and almost begged him to join. He said, if you think I can be of service, fine, but I don't. That's not my ambition. I just want to be a good pastor. Whereas Jesse was never really pastor the church. Now. Of course, he went to North Carolina and t that's where he met sister Jackie had gone to University of Illinois first and wanted to be a black black quarterback, and they didn't put up with that. He met Sam Proctor was president of North Carolina. At graduated there, president there, and then it goes to Chicago Theological Seminary, but it's never really pastored the church like Martin, and he's had an ambition to be a black leader. Sometimes that ambition can get you in trouble and generate the whole kind of controversy with other leaders, of course, but there is that sense of a drive and Jesse Chah, I am somebody. He's talking to himself as much as talking to us. He said I am somebody. As it was a power and intensity, and you're thinking like, dang, I think this is a personal story as well as a larger social analysis going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's an anthem, you know. And it's something powerful about that declaration. You know, in the Christian Bible with Moses as God, as the story goes, who should I say? Sent me?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And as the story is recorded, you guys said, you tell him I am since you something. Yeah, it's something spiritually powerful and EDI fine about saying I am. And since we are creations of a higher mean, a higher energy force that resonates with us too, I am somebody. No matter what's in my bank account or not in my bank account, I am somebody. I'm saying loud. I'm black, and I'm proud I am somebody. I'm among the working class. You know, just gonna put it on in there. We are, we all are somebody. I am. But it's something that declar that declaration of I am is a powerful.
Speaker 2: It's it's energy, it's a beautiful thing. It's a powerful thing. But there's a sense in which you see Louis Armstrong, John Coltrane, sarahvon They never really had to say I am somebody. It was so presupposed to who they were. Mm hmm doe what I mean they yeah, already know you somebody. You don't really have to declare it.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: No, that's not at all. But everybody knows he's somebody that you don't have to say a word.
Speaker 1: Come on, God, come on.
Speaker 2: On the state. She don't have to say a word, but I am somebody. Just look at it and say, oh good, look at that grace, look at that dignity. You know she's somebody. She don't even need to say that.
Speaker 1: You didn't.
Speaker 2: No, definitely required, it is presupposed, it is assumed. Now. Of course everybody ain't John Cole Dreane, everybody ain't needed some home, right, all of us cousins. We need to wrestle with I am somebody.
Speaker 1: We definitely need it, and we had not the create of the universe that we got to wrestle daily. Oh my god, this is so good. Some of Brotherend Jackson's quotes. Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him.
Speaker 2: Up.
Speaker 1: Amen. If you fall behind, run faster, never give up, never surrender, and rise up against the odds. That is the story of Jesse Lewis Jackson. At the end of the day, we must go forward with hope and not backwards by fear and division, which that is happening right now, Doc, in our time. This is a word for us today. We cannot go backwards by fear and division. Oh, and this is one of my favorites. Both tears and sweat are salty, but they render a different result. Tears will get you sympathy. Sweat will get you changed. Whoa oh man. And both are necessary because sometimes you got to cry, you know. But sweat, Oh, Reverend Jackson says, sweat will get you change. Hold that thought, Doc, Hold that thought. You are listening to Truth Time with doctor Cornell West and Anina Turner today today, today, on our teaching on Thursday, we are lifting up the life and continuing legacy of the one and only Reverend Jesse Lewis Jackson, a civil rights leader, humanitarian, a man who's still making his imprint on the world. When we come forward, will continue this teaching. Oh my goodness, if you are here, if you are just not joining us on truth Time. You are definitely gonna want to go back to the beginning of this teach. In Thursday episode, we are highlighting the life and the continuous legacy of Reverend Jesse Lewis Jackson, who was born in nineteen forty one in South Carolina. He is still doing the thagone things, still making his imprint on this world. He's probably most best known for running for president in the eighties, also the Rainbow Coalition. His lyrical genius like a rapper. You know he was a poet. He is a poet and he does know it. I am somebody. And the way that Reverend Jackson can string the words together just on the willmen's it's just really in him, is innately in him. And the fact that he has been able to this point to be able to use his incredible gifts for good. Doc As we were coming forward, we were just laying out some of the reverends quote. Some are more known well known, others not as much. But the one we were that we come forward on because I know you had a comment. Both tears and sweat are salty, but they render a different result. Tears will get you sympathy sweat will get you change.
Speaker 2: That's part of his rhetorical genius. Are rhetorical genius full of deep and profound insight, rhythmic and presentation, and almost kind of syncipation in the ways in which he's able to connect sound with sense.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: But that's Jesse, that's Jesse. I think one of the most powerful things ever. Jesse's spoke at the funeral Samuel Proctor in Abysinnian Baptist Church under the leadership of Calvin Butts at that time, Guard the Taylor was given the eulogy, but Jesse got up there and with tears, talked about how Samuel Proctor had allowed him to gain access to enrollment and line of A and T without any kind of application, exam or nothing, just based on an interview, saying, I think you have a special kind of annointment. It would be wonderful to have you in this school. And he ends up student by the president, of course, deeply influenced, meets the magnificent Jacket Brown, who becomes his wife, and the rest is history. But it was that moment a turning point in Jesse. Oh his language just soword and he broke down any cried yeah, broke down any cried right in the pool.
Speaker 1: Pen isn't it amazing? And how people can be a blessing in your life because you only need one. That's true, one person could change your entire life.
Speaker 2: One your whole, turn the corner, turn your upside down it and you see he's a young brother, he's yeah twenty, he put in two years University of Illinois. Oh yeah, half or so, so you think it's about twenty nineteen, twenty years old. And Samuel Proctor, that great figure from Norfolk, Virginia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, the power one, Oh my god, never doubt what one person can do. Absolutely, oh, never doubt that. My first encounter with the Reverend in person. I was a fellow for the Legislative Service Commission in the late nineties in Columbus, and it was a program where you had to have minimumly achor's degree. I had just finished up my masters and talking about the Power One, I never forget. I had my sociology professor who was familiar with this program. Because here I am a young black girl from Cleveland, working class parents don't have a connection. See networks do matter, And this professor changed my life. Whether she understood that or not who said it's this program that you know, you get to be a fellow. They call them interns and men, but now they're called fellows, a Legislative Service Commission internship. And I think you would be excellent for this. The only thing is you only got a week to apply. Is only a week left? And then to apply for this, you know, I had to have all kinds of letters of recommendations and statements and all of this, and I'm like, oh my god, how am I going to get this done? But hey, intention matters, and I did get it done. And you have to go through rigorous interviews. They only had about I think sixteen slots and over four hundred people from across the country applied. Wow, and this little girl from Cleveland got one of them slots. I tell you, Jacket changed my entire life. People like former Senator Jeff Johnson who's now a judge, was influenced. And you know he influenced this too, because I think my professor found out about it from him. And then to know that I would be an Ohio State senator many years down the line, like the universe knew that, but I didn't know and understand that and that experience really really changed my life. And so I met Reverend Jackson. He was doing a tour to your point about how he stands up for press people. He was doing a tour across the country trying to bridge the divide between earl, urban and rule. And this mantra was that there is a connection between the struggles of rural folks and urban folks. And oftentimes we think of rural, we think white, we think urban, will always think black. It depends on what state you're in because could be cross pollinated. For example, when you and I travel South Carolina during the presidential campaign. In South Carolina, rule means both white and black. We're in Ohio, rural primarily is our white sisters and brothers. But I'll never forget that. And Reverend Jackson came and spoke to our fellow class, and it just that that changed my life. I don't know if Reverend Jackson knows how much of an influence he made on me, just to be in his presence. He didn't know me from Adam. I didn't. He didn't know me from anybody else in that in that class at that time, unless unless my energy was was up at a high frequency but to hear him tell the story about why he's doing his tour and why it's important to bring world and urban people together who are suffering under the weight of the same oppressive system. Plant seeds, plantin seeds, plant and seeds, and you fast forward. I've become a clean any counselwoman. And then the very Senate that I worked in I'm now serving in as an elected official. I mean, doctor is mind blowing.
Speaker 2: Good, God of Mighty, and it's so important. Brother Jesse understands this kind of impact he's had locally, regionally, nationally, and globally. While he is still alive, they will be talking about him forever after he after he makes his move to the other side of glory. But I but your testimony is a very deep one. It really really is. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's similar to meeting you. You know, people like you, like him, who are so highly regarded and rightfully so, because of your work. You know, we say in the Christian tradition, my work will speak for me. It's just a testament to leaders like you and leaders like him to not I didn't have to have a relationship with the Reverend to recognize that he was called for a time such as this and the impact that he had and just listening to those stories and taking it in and so for people like us now I am like you both where people regard me in the same way that I regarded you and understand and being able to make those connections between those flashpoints for me to say that I have a relationship with you and also a relationship with Reverend Jackson and Missus Jackson and Santita and the family. In the nineties, I would have never thought that that was the furthest thing from my mind. So it is a reminder that as we pass through this earth that we can have an impact or put an imprint on people in ways that we never know. And you don't have to have a great title. You don't have to have ran for president or travel the world to be able to be some good in somebody's life, to be able to be an uplifting four in somebody's life, because you never know, many years down the line, somebody might be telling a story about you and about how much you impacted their life. Oh my, my, ma, Mi, we're talking about Reverend Jesse Lewis Jackson, the one and only doc Another quotas as we are gonna come back forward. I was born in a slum, but the slum wasn't born in me. Another one. No one should negotiate their dreams. Dreams must be free to fly high. No government, no legislature, has the right to limit your dreams. You should never agree to surrender your dreams. You never ever should do that, Doctor West, Doctor Cornell West, and I and listening to Truth Time. We're talking about Reverend Jesse Jackson on our teaching Thursday. It's Truth Time with doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner. Again, we kind of all joyed that you are with us if you are just not joining us, we are on our teaching Thursday, and we're enough the life and continuous legacy of Reverend Jesse Lewis Jackson talking about the mark that he continues to make in this world. And so the Stanford Institute has a beautiful picture of doctor doctor Jesse Jackson and doctor A reverend doctor Reverend Martin Luther King Junior, and Reverend Jesse Jackson, and they go on to write. In nineteen sixty six, Jesse Jackson began to lead Operation bed Bread Basket. So that I want you to talk a little bit about that a Southern Christian leadership conference program, and he did this in Chicago. Often seen as Martin Luther King's protege, Jackson quickly earned a place among Kings in a circle, although King found Jackson's ambition troubling at times. Remember, Doc, you talked about how ambition can take several paths, and one could be troubling to some folks. CLC Executive vice president Andrew Young called Jackson a natural born leader. And Andrew Young did this during an interview that he was having on front Line. Take your take on.
Speaker 2: That, Oh, indeed, we know exactly what Andy talking about. There's no doubt that Jesse had a level and continues to have a level of unbelievable charisma. His presence is one that tends to solicit not just attention, but serious, serious reflection. A probably because he has so much to say, probably because he got so much courage. At the same time, that kind of charisma can generate deep controversy, and sometimes that charisma can even hide and concede a hide and conceal the deep compassion that you have, because a lot of people associate certain kind of charisma with narcissism. All it's about it's about me. It's about me, it's about the camera, it's about visibility, it's about publicity. Well, Jesse's had to deal with those kinds of criticisms as well. But the beautiful thing is that he has been consistent in his compassion over seventy five years. Now. When you have that kind of witness, people have to conclude who, No, he's serious about these people he fighting for. He's serious about sacrificing for these people he's fighting for. He's serious about getting up at four o'clock in the morning five times a week in order to be there on the front line protests. And he doesn't just show up one time and become the one president who's pro union because he showed up for ninety seconds in a rally. No, Jesse's leading the guy Dang rally. He's leading rallies every week. And in all honesty and here is very similar to yourself in terms of love of poor people, especially love of black people, but not treated well by the Democratic Party in that party, that party ain't never ever really treated him the way that he deserves. And I just say that publicly.
Speaker 1: Agreed doc, and that flimsy tribute. I'm glad that they did it in the air coats, but it was empty as far as I'm concerned, just very empty, and some of the behind the scenes things that took place for him to even get it. You know, I'm told by some people on background that it was on again, off again, on again, off again, on again, off again. How do you do an icon somebody whose family was threatened put a lot on the line, like any other freedom fighter that's outfront, because we do have some freedom fighters who are behind the scenes. But when you are upfront, the fire comes towards you first. And he's in the ladder state. You know, he's in the latter phase of his life, and you gonna play on again, off again, on again, off again. You are listening with Truth Time with Doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner and our teaching Thursday lifting up the life and continuous legacy of the one and only Reverend Jesse Lewis. Thank you for joining us on Truth Time with Doctor Cornell West and Nina Turner. This is our favorite day of the week for our KBLA talk fifteen eighty segments that we are blessed to do. Thank you, Brother Tavis Smiley. This is our teaching Thursday today, we're lifting up the life, the legacy, the continuous legacy of Reverend Jesse Lewis Jackson. So, Doc, as we were coming forward, you were talking about how the Democratic Party, we both were certainly has not recognized how the Reverend Jesse Jackson tried to set this party on the different course, the ability for arib Americans, for black women also in particular to participate. Because Reverend Jackson had garnered so much support, so many delegates, he was able to change some of the rules of the party as well as to elevate some of the women who are still here today making an impact of people like Donna Brazil and Mignon Moore and some others. That a lot of that that that is because of Reverend Jesse Jackson, because of Jacqueline Jackson, because of the demands that they were making on a party that has not fully recognized the Reverend Jesse Jackson and does not fully love as far as I'm concerned, black people.
Speaker 2: That's real. I mean, there's a sense in which Jesse having to deal with the Democratic Party at the moment that he did, where you still have wrong Southern Democrats that had been tied to white supremacy. It's like asking oldest Redden to join Lawrence Welk Orchestra. Now, what what is ODIs gonna do? Well? Hen Tenderness, you know he had a You're gonna try to shape them, You're gonna try to reshape them. But they continually pushing him down, continually marginalizing him. But then he brings in all of these other folk, black folk and other progressives, Dissolvis and others, and transform the party, create proportionality that makes it possible for brother Barack Obama to even be present, Doc. But in the end, even the folking loss Welks Orchestract just can't deal with the poly rhythms and the syncopations of Otis Red and out of making Jesse Jackson out of Greenville, they can't.
Speaker 1: They not ready, They're not not ready, not worthy. But in the immortal words of doctor Mayas little but still iri Ah, Doc, You're definitely gonna have to do a part two on this. As we are coming upon our last sixty seconds, I want to give Reverend Jackson's words of the opportunity to breathe keep hope alive is another one of those riveting battle cries that no matter what besets you, no matter what's on your right or your left, or in front of you or behind you, baby, you must keep hope alive. My God, my God. He also said it is a time for us to turn to each other, not on each other. Whoo, thank God that he brought to this earth, Reverend Jesse Lewis Jackson for a time such as this. As doctor Weston, I always say, live your purpose. Live on purpose. Above all, understand this. Titles are very good, but purpose is better. Until next time,