Speaker 1: Padze America is brought to you by Simply Safe. From the endless churn of the news cycle to daily tasks at work and home. We all have enough anxiety as it is. Take worrying about your home security off that list of stressors with simply Safe. Simply Safe provides twenty four to seven protection, so no matter what's happening in the news or in life, you can always count on peace of mind at home. Love it set up a simply Safe all on his own and it was very easy and he's very happy with it, and you can just use it right from your phone. He likes that, so he's had a great experience with it. Was simply Safe. You can customize your system to fit your needs. Then it chips fast directly to your door. The app guide and set up is simple and there's no drilling required, so you can install an arm your system in under an hour. Simply Safe is more than just a security camera. It's a comprehensive system of censors, indoor and outdoor cameras and twenty four to seven professional monitoring. Over five million people value and trust simply Safe with their home security every day. Right now, our listeners will get fifty percent off of a new system when you sign up for professional monitoring and your first month is free. Just visit simply safe dot com slash crooked. That's half off at simply safe dot com slash crooked. There's no safe like simply safe. Welcome to Pod Save America.
Speaker 2: I'm Jon Favreau and I'm Alex Wagner.
Speaker 1: Two weeks in a row.
Speaker 2: Baby. You know, I'm really glad when you said I want to do a special NIXT focused episode.
Speaker 1: Of todd that is what I said.
Speaker 2: I was like, who will even know where we're going to be, But it turns out very fortuitous. Happy to just talk about the NIXT on this podcast. Thanks for inviting me, John, Congratulations. That was something to do.
Speaker 1: I had. I had some excellent timing because I put the boys to bed, and then I went downstairs and I turned the game on at the beginning of the fourth quarter.
Speaker 2: When the runt pussy with your Pacific Standard time.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's watching sports West Coast time. Not that I ever do, because I have two young children.
Speaker 2: I know, but is the best it is the It's You're so lucky. I had put my I let them stay up a little bit late. And we saw the first quarter and it was like, we can turn this off now. They were like My eight year old started like kind of crying and he was like, I hate the next and I said, you need to manifest positivity and put them to bed, and then they he woke me up at seven o'clock. I know, I slept in and he was like, momy one and then we watched Hylight.
Speaker 1: I was slightly concerned that Trump had cursed them for the rest of the series, but it turns out it's just about him actually physically being there.
Speaker 2: True. And also, smart Knicks fans burned a bunch of stage in front of the garden yesterday because we know how to clear bad collaborations.
Speaker 1: Clear the Trump stink out of vent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it hangs in the air, especially in this weather.
Speaker 1: But listen, well, there we go, there we go.
Speaker 2: That's it. Thanks for joining us. Make sure to subscribe to Plaze America.
Speaker 1: We got lots to talk about on today's show. We're going to talk about Trump saying we're on the verge of a deal with Iran for the thirty ninth time since the war began a little over one hundred days ago. Who knows this could be the big one. We'll also cover the president's latest inflation gaff spoiler he loves it, and his attempt to quiet Republican fure over Bill Poulty by announcing his long term pick for DNI. There's also a new reporting that the knives are out in trump Land, which is perfectly illustrated by an explosive news story from Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Swan about how these morons bumble their way through the Epstein crisis. And finally you will hear my conversation with our pal Ron Brownstein, one of the best political analysts out there, about the mid term state of play, his take on the gram Platner saga, the House map, the Senate map, and much more. But before we start, please consider subscribing to Cricket and become a Friend of the Pod. Get ad free episodes of Pods of America and all your favorite Crookeet pods. You also get to be supporting one of the few pro democracy independent media outlets left in the world that Barry Weiss hasn't shut down yet or tried to murder, And you get subscriber only shows like Dan Pfeiffer's Polar Coaster, our special extra episode of Pods of America, and access to all of our excellent substack newsletters. So think about subscribing if you haven't already. If you have telefriend, cricket dot com, slash.
Speaker 2: Friends, tell five friends, what's that? Tell five friends?
Speaker 1: Tell five friends. I like that. Thank you, Alex, wh I go for one.
Speaker 2: Don't clip your own wings?
Speaker 1: All right? I want five friends from everyone here we go? All right, Alex, stop me if you've heard this one before the ceasefire with iron broke down, missiles started flying again. Trump threatened to bomb the shit out of the entire country, and then at the last minute announced with great fanfare that he's calling off the strikes because a deal is finally at hand. Is this an episode from six we weeks ago, three weeks ago, last week, next week, ten weeks from now, all of the above?
Speaker 2: You know, John, I've come to the Chris Nolan theory of time that it's a dimension and so it's always happening. We're always at war and a deal is always imminent. We're always at war with its omnipresent. We live in the dimension of it. Yeah, we're never not about it will go on forever it has been happens.
Speaker 1: I guess it is just it's we're going to be talking about this for eternity, Like it's like, all right, let's talk about the latest almost deal with Iran, and then we'll talk about the inflation gaff and then we're off.
Speaker 2: I I think I've been thinking a lot about this, and I wonder if it's time for the press to stop asking him anything about the war, because it's so it's like asking like perhaps a mentally ill person about stock tips, Like there's no use in doing that. They'll tell you some things.
Speaker 1: Now, I will. I will say he's pretty good at that because of all the insider information which he trades off of one. Yeah, that's he's quite quite adept at doing that. So that the latest US strikes hit targets across Iran, including apparently drinking water infrastructure, which would likely be a war crime. And after Trump threatened to take carg Island and assume quote total control of Iran's oil, he backed down with the post claiming quote final points have been in both concept and great detail approved by all parties involved, and then listed ten countries. Iran was not one of them. As I mentioned CNN has tallied this up for US. It's the at least the thirty ninth time that Trump has claimed the deal is imminent. And you know, he did take some questions on the deal in the oval, but like you said, it was all the same questions and all the same crazy answers. We thought it was much more interesting to play a super cut from his his colent to Fox and Friends this morning, between when he threatened to destroy the country and he announced an almost deal. He was he was there to ostensibly discuss Iran, but that only barely happened. Here are some of the highlights.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'd like to get a deal now, less than three or four weeks ago, because you know, once you do this, it's I just you could just go a step further. But I don't know that America has the appetite to do what I would really much prefer doing. But we were in Vietnam nineteen years. If it were me, I would have had that war done in three months. But we did great. In twenty twenty, I was a rigged election and you saw it in California. Very interesting. If I could just havevert he said, all of a sudden, this, oh, we have a surprise. Steve Hilton won. But it's a rigged election. But just go back, you know, but let's get back. Let's get back. I was. I just want to say to the public, it's a rigged election. We need to save America Act, period, got it. Okay, let's get back to Iran much simpler. Iron is very good at publicity, but they're not good at fighting. So I took a look, and I must tell you, if they can't believe the press, they get it, they can't even believe it. And they told me, they said, it's amazing how well we're doing in the papers. We're not doing so well. They're negotiating with us to make a deal. It's like they did an editorial today about we're not hitting them hard enough. I mean, it's just not hitting them hard enough. We dropped two hundred and fifty million dollars worth of bombs on them last night. You know, the whole thing is crazy. Part of the problem is that they read the fake news. I mean, because Fox is greater. But all the anchors on Fox have been fantastic, from Sean to Jesse Laura. I mean, they've all been great. Everybody, every single anchor it's been great. You guys have been amazing.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 1: It seems like he's locked in.
Speaker 2: Huh dude, okay, I mean, like, where do we even begin with us? First of all, there's so many things to call attention to the fact that he had to in the middle of all of this go off on the twenty twenty election, and Brian kill Meat is like, I shouldn't have brought that up. I shouldn't have brought that up.
Speaker 1: And he says, Iran, it's my fault. Though, it's my fault I took us off topic, and then Trump says.
Speaker 2: Let's get back to Iran, a much simpler situation. He sounds like an old, angry person who's not yet even stood up from bed.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: He has that kind of the throaty congestion of someone who's just ranting from bed, like and it's just obviously it's just association at this point, just word salads. None of it makes sense. The fact that he keeps bringing up Vietnam as like a comparison should not make any member of the American public feel assured that they have their hands on the wheel here, that they got their arms around this thing. Well, look at Vietnam that took so long. You know, dude, we don't want to do that again.
Speaker 1: Also his whole thing about you know, I do what I want to do, but the American people might not have the stomach for it. Like he's like, he wants to do this big war. He wants to keep going with the war. He wants to just he wants he wants more war, harder war.
Speaker 2: His message. At one point, he's pressed to give his message to the Iranian people, and Trump says, and this is a quote. My message to the Iranian people is they're afraid because they have no guns and the other side has guns. That's not a message to the Iranian people. I don't think is that.
Speaker 1: Is not a message to the Every time somebody's asked about this whole war, though, he confuses it feels like intentionally now the Iranian people with the regime, and so everyone's like, what about the Iranian people, And he's like, they're running scared, that's what they're doing. And it's like they some people are specifically mentioning the Iranian people, and he of course does not give a shit about them, even though that was, uh, you know, that was one excuse for why we were doing this in the first place.
Speaker 2: I also love the new that the Iranian regime that Moshtaba Aremini, who has not been seen in public since this began, is calling Trump to be like, it's amazing, how well we're doing in the papers.
Speaker 1: The papers.
Speaker 2: That's I grabbed the New York Times here the other I grabbed the.
Speaker 1: Post this morning. You should have seen the wood on the post. Amazing. I'm getting amazing press. They put the knicks on the back page that I was right there in the front, and.
Speaker 2: That was a great game, mister president. He also starts talking at some point about Tianaman Square and how it takes a It starts the drivers of the tanks and Tienaman Square who mowed down citizens, at which point he's cut off and they're like, we only have a minute, mister president. They literally cut him off on Fox and Fronts because he's so out of Can I say, though, seriously, John, I mean because you mentioned and I think very importantly, and he certainly wasn't being asked about this on the Fox and Fronts broadcast. They may have bombed water infrastructure, which would be a war crime, and the story of whenever this ends or maybe it never ends because time is a dimension, but when it theoretically comes to a conclusion, the story of American war crimes in Iran will live with us as our legacy for decades. And we on Runaway Country had talked to a retired Master sergeant at the what is it called the Civilian Protection Center of Excellence, which was a department in the DoD which was set up to mitigate and prevent civilian deaths like, for example, bombing a girls' school or bombing water infrastructure, and Pete Hegseth wrote in and dismantled it effectively like civilian deaths are not beside the point. I mean, I think terrorizing people, especially brown people the world over is the point. And we, I mean, this administration owns these civilian deaths, and we don't have a good tally of them because there's so much opacity with regards to this roar, even as it concerns American deaths, and we have a free press. But at some point the numbers are going to come out and Donald Trump will own every single one of those deaths for a deal that looks like it will be nothing on par with the JCPOI.
Speaker 1: Also one thing he said there, And the clip that we played is, you know, he's talking about the Wall Street Journal editorial board, saying that he's not bombing hard enough, he's not doing enough right because they're hawks over there. He also calls them, He's like, I know that you guys own them, but they're trash, he said to the Fox people, referring to Murdoch, and he's like, you, what do they want from me? We just dropped two hundred and fifty million dollars worth of bombs on them last night. So now he is bragging to the American people about using their tax dollars to drop bombs on Iran that hit water infrastructure that could potentially cause civilian death. So now he's telling people's like, hey, you want for me? I spent your money killing people in Iran for no reason last night.
Speaker 2: It's the first time we've also gotten any kind of price tag from him. I mean, it's so embarrassing that this is like the braggadocio about killing civilians is the only way we get some transparency about the from this White House, about what the damage and the sort of collateral on the table is. It's it's like horrifying you know.
Speaker 1: The question is you know, we'll we'll will Lucy yank the football away yet again, or is this finally Charlie Brown's moment. It seems like the it's still just a memorandum of understanding. So that's Trump said that in the oval, which means it's the sort of the same deal as before deal. The Israelis are apparently surprised and they said they're not part of this deal at all. So no matter what the deal is, it's not it's not solving the conflict between Israel and Lebanon. Trump said that the Ayatola has agreed already, Aron is not saying that there's an Arounia News agency said there's a high chancement the agreement will be approved, so like, you know, maybe we're going to get there, but it feels like we're right back to if it does get approved. What it is is uh the end of the naval blockade, uh reopening of the straight and then kicking all the nuclear issues down the road for more negotiations that I'm sure will not go anywhere else, but.
Speaker 2: I don't And there's there's definitely going to be some sweetening to the tune of I mean Marco Rubio on the Hill said they were not going to trade sanctions relief for reopening the Straight. But and Nahaltuzi has like a breakdown of this in Politico today. There's definitely ways that they can make sure money flows to Iran basically to fill back up the coffers and pay them for reopening pay them to reopen the Straight. We are going to buy any kind of resolution that happens here. We may not know about it as American taxpayers, but it is certainly there is going to be a shell game going on, uh inside the the bowels of the federal government to ensure that money goes to the Iranian regime, because otherwise why would they do any of this?
Speaker 1: No, of course, and what happens, what will happen is some intrepid reporters will find out what the shell game is and report it in a in a great story, and then someone asked the White House ablo out it, and they'll basically say, fuck you, fake news, and then everyone will go on to the next thing.
Speaker 2: But but don't don't take it from us, take it from Brian Kilmead who said, mister President, you're like an anaconda squeezing the life that was out of the enemy, slowly squeezing them to death. He said it like four times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was really happy with his analogy, and he just came He was like, but did.
Speaker 2: You hear the anaconda trying to make it work? Shopping it?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Before we move on, what did you make of his rant about the California election? Did you did you realize that Steve Hilton won because Donald Trump complained about Spencer Pratt losing?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What do you say about Spencer Brad? He was like, the kid got shafted.
Speaker 1: He got shafted. But then I said something. I said something, and now now we got Steve Hilton. Now he made it through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was happening to Steve Hilton too, but now I mean, it's it's good that someone's got their eyes on California. Guys. We know how you operate, and it's a complicated you know. Con Right, you think, oh, well, the gubernatorial race matters more, But no, what this is is about singular and discreete races that are stolen for no apparent reason but just to throw you off the scent.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's about It's about the LA mayor, the incumbent who much wanted to face Spencer Pratt much more than she wanted to face a progressive challenger, and yet did her best to rig the election so that she could get that progressive challenger and not Spencer Pratt.
Speaker 2: That is, yeah, a double cross of a double cross, John Untangle, that cat's cradle, buddy, Man, these people, but Lake, can I just say, yeah, the election fraud and going back to twenty twenty is like so much more animates this dude than actually Iran. I mean, he's both incompetent and incoherent on Iran, but he's also bored of it, Like he doesn't really have like he would much rather, he wants to talk about the Same America Act. He wants to talk about raw power and the stealing of elections and getting his election deniers, you know, having them act with the full force of the federal government. That's what really gets this guy.
Speaker 4: Up in the morning.
Speaker 1: Yes, as you can tell from the tone in his voice. Pod Save America is brought to you by Neutrifol. Real change comes from the small, healthy habits you do every day that quietly add up to big improvements. That's the idea behind neutrifoil. It's built around a simple, consistent approach to hair health that works from within and delivers visible results over time, not overnight. Neutrophile is the number one dermatologist recommended hair growth supplement brand, and it's the number one hair growth supplement brand personally used by dermatologists. Neutrafoles hair growth supplements are peer reviewed, NSF certified for sport and clinically tested. It's not a one size fits all approach. Neutrifoil offers multiple formulas for men and women tear to different life stages like postpartum or menopause, and lifestyle factors such as a plant based diet, so you get the personalized support that's right for you. Adding Neutrafold to your daily routine is easy order online, no prescription needed, with automated deliveries and free shipping to keep you on track. Let your hair become one less thing taking up space in your head and see thicker, stronger, faster growing hair with less shedding in just three to six months with neutrofol For a limited time. Neutrofol is offering our listeners ten dollars off your first month subscription and free shipping when you visit neutrofol dot com and enter promo code crooked. That's neutrofol dot com spelled n U t r a f o l dot com promo code crooked. Podsave America is brought to you by cook Unity. I love cook Unity and I just had a mail last night. What did I have last night? I had the Thaie beef curry. It was with rice, And who knows what I'm going to have tonight. Maybe it's just like a good chicken dish they gave me. Anyway, I've used coo unity for years, long before they're sponsor. It's great. It's the first chef led meal delivery service that makes your meals and small batches inside local micro kitchens across the US, not factories, so every dish arrives with the kind of freshness you'd get at the restaurant itself. Meals from Michelin starred chefs, James Beard, winners and Food Network stars. Go to cookmunity dot com, slash crooked or use code crooked before checkout for fifty percent off your first week. Every Cookmunity meal is handcrafted by chefs in local micro kitchens, not mass produced in large facilities. Fresh never frozen and can be refrigerated forro up to seven days. Cook Unity uses real culinary talent cooking in real kitchens, not a brand slapping a chef's name on a factory product. Cook Comunity works with some of the best chefs in the country to bring creative, delicious meals to your door. There are hundreds of dishes to choose from, and the menu is updated constantly. Taste what happens when real award winning chefs make fresh, small, batched meals just for you. Go to cookunity dot com slash cricket or into code crooket before check out to get fifty percent off your first order. That's fifty percent off your first order by using code crooked or going to cookunity dot com slash Crooked. Well dealer no deal with Iran. It's looking like it may be too late for Trump to turn the economy around before the midterms, and per usual, he's making it abundantly clear that he doesn't care. New inflation data from Trump's own Department of Labor shows that prices rose in May to a three year high for the third straight month, with energy prices up twenty four percent from a year ago. Data on wholesale inflation released Thursday morning put that measure at its high since late twenty twenty two. Trump, of course, has delivered an epic run of gafs on the topic of how much people's financial struggles are weighing on him. Here's a few highlights to jog your memory.
Speaker 4: Do you believe the price of oil and gas will be lower before the midterm elections?
Speaker 3: I hope so. I mean I think shelly could be. It could be the same or maybe a little bit higher. I've thought that uprising.
Speaker 1: We don't much higher.
Speaker 5: I look today, it's like at one hundred and two, and that's a very small price to pay for getting rid of a nuclear weapon from people that are really mentally deranged affordabilities, a hoax that was started by Democrats.
Speaker 2: Longa wile America continue to see the high gap tight, well, they're not very high.
Speaker 3: But I don't think about American financial situation. I don't think about anybody. I think about one thing. We could not let Iran have a nuclear aprodential.
Speaker 5: I don't care about the midtime. So what happened last night that was the prelude to the midtim s.
Speaker 1: Well, good news, we have a new contender for the crown. Here's what Trump said on Wednesday in response to a question about the latest inflation data.
Speaker 4: Service to President about the latest inflation number which came out.
Speaker 6: This morning, could that be a no? I love it? You know what, I really love.
Speaker 5: I love the inflation.
Speaker 6: You know why?
Speaker 1: Because I love the inflation. He loves the inflation. God.
Speaker 2: I wish ta goold pan to other faces in the room.
Speaker 1: You know that's good? Yeah, I just can't.
Speaker 2: Someone in the pool just go to Susie Wiles's face when this is being said, Scott Vessant, where I love the inflation. I mean, this is the downside John, of having a malignant narcissist in office, Like they can't summon empathy when empathy is the prerequisite from staving off the political fallout, from stopping the bleeding. Here, like the war is so catastrophically out of Trump's hands to a certain degree because he refuses to engage in diplomacy and doesn't really give a shit, and he's also an idiot. But like, if he's going to try and manage the political reality that he and his party are facing, you got to start the sentence with empathy. And I feel your pain, and I know this economy is bad and it's tough to be a working class American. But X Y and Z about Iran and the stability of the globe or whatever. But he is constitutionally unable to summon to even pretend. Not only as he constitutionally unable to pretend to be empathy, he's the opposite. He's digging the knife in further.
Speaker 1: Bill Clinton's message was I feel your pain. Donald Trump's messages, I cause your pain.
Speaker 2: And I'm fucking glad I did it.
Speaker 1: And tough shit, that's me. I cause your pain.
Speaker 2: You and your dumb cars, you and your dumb desire to put food on the table. Don't talk to me about health care. I need another million from my ballroom.
Speaker 1: Now for my money. I still think the reigning champ is I don't care, but I don't think about americans financial situation at all. It's I don know.
Speaker 2: I love the inflation.
Speaker 1: Is it's funny because he uses the article in front of it, right, I love the inflation, so that makes it a little funnier.
Speaker 2: But well, no, he says, it's actually the full quote is so good. You know what I really love. I love the inflation you could argue right like he's like, wait, hold it, He's tease it up. He's like, I'm about to you know what, I really love the inflation like it's so sedist. It honestly, I don't think about American's financial situations is part of a bigger question. And I'm not excusing it at all. I think it like it was a disastrous quote. But this is psychotic. This is someone who's like, you like the pain, how about a little bit more?
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 2: I really like fucking over the American public.
Speaker 1: It's always dangerous to do this, But I was trying to think of like what what was he actually trying to do there? And I think what he in his in his adult, very old mind, he was thinking, you know what, this data it's going to be great because as soon as the war's over, this inflation is going to come right down and then I'm going to take all this credit for inflation falling. So I love the inflation, like.
Speaker 2: I think it's a little bit like still doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: It doesn't no, of course not of course.
Speaker 2: Not because he's talking about ongoing inflation.
Speaker 1: It still just doesn't Wait, he doesn't know. He also doesn't know what inflation is really, Yes, that's it.
Speaker 2: Can I just say also, I don't moonlight as a petroleum engineer, but I will for this podcast. Yes, you know, I try and come. I try and come prepared. Like the gas praises are not going down, even if the Strait of Hormones opens back up tomorrow.
Speaker 1: No, like this is baked. This is where we're I don't even know.
Speaker 2: The Washington Post is talking about the reality of these like ships getting through back through the street. They're like even the hundreds of fully loaded tankers that have idled in the strait since last February will not be able to quickly move their cargo. Vessels are now so coated with barnacles that teams of divers will need to be dispatched to clean them. I didn't know that this.
Speaker 1: Is not just going to be an issue the issue in the midterms. This is going to be an issue for jd Vance in the Republican primary and whoever decides to run against him from outside the administration. I mean, this is like by by act by twenty twenty eight, it won't maybe it won't be hopefully it won't be as much of an issue. But like twenty twenty seven, when the primaries are happening. Yeah, one hundred.
Speaker 2: Percent, You're so right to say that. That is like such a you're so smart about this, but that is so true, like because the I mean again, I'm not a trolley engineer, but the refineries and the production facilities can take an offline and it takes months to get them back up and running. And like if the oil supplies I also didn't know this, if oil supplies dropped low enough, then it breaks down. If there's not actually oil running through the pipeline, it can break down the production systems. So like, if they don't resolve this in the next several weeks, there's like a catastrophic supply side issue where the infrastructure starts breaking down. And that's well, like fixing all that is going to take. Forget about the fucking travel season. We're talking about holiday plans, Thanksgiving, Christmas. Like again, I'm not rooting for any of this. I didn't say that. I don't why I'm saying again, I'm not a politician, but this is a fucked up situation. And yet I well and not and yet the incompetence and the refusal to acknowledge reality here is makes you think they really want to lose, that there's something again they're just it's it's self flagellation. Politically speaking, here's the other challenge.
Speaker 1: And I'm no geopolitical expert, but if they come to a deal where it's just about opening the straight for money and for ending the naval blockade, and then they go on to negotiate the nuclear issue, which is going to be tricky to say the least, and they don't include Israel and the deal, then as we get into the fall and Trump has his elections and we have our elections here net Yahoo has his elections in Israel, Like, as long as Israel continues to be at war with Lebanon and firing, you know, firing at Hesbela and Hesblo is firing rockets in Israel, and Iran doesn't want to let those rockets go unanswered, and then Iran gets involved like that, we're not bringing peace to the Middle East with a with a memo of understand. So I think that and there's a risk there, both for in the midterms and in the presidential primaries, that the Middle East is now like permanently in this state of you know, I mean, there's always been a lot of conflict in the Middle East, but like this latest conflict continues as a sort of like a low boil I guess in the best case scenario, low boil, but like and they're going to have to deal with it. They're gonna have to deal with the fallout of this war for years. It is.
Speaker 2: This is what I mean by time as a dimension. The war is ongoing, The war never ends. We are constantly on the brink of a peace deal. Call me in twenty fifty nine.
Speaker 1: So also on this note, the Washington Post reports that oil and gas executives have been warning the White House that, as you said, that gas prices are likely to spike. So they're hearing this from the oil executives themselves. This is not like, this is not just some just us talking about it. And then Politico has a story on Wednesday with the headline the die has been cast. Trump allies fear it's too late to reverse economic woes. I also think there was a funny quote that I just saw from John Cornyn, who is liberated now. He spoke to the New York Times and he said he said this about Donald Trump, He's going to have the most miserable two years of his life, in the last two years of his term. I think, because I think November is going to be a disaster, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 2: Fuck, like, what's going to be miserable? I mean miserable things to Democrats who have backbones, and certainly not to Republicans who might actually stand up to him. I mean, John Cornyn has no reason to continue to enable the agenda of this mad man, and yet given the opportunity to break with him, hasn't. I mean, it's just such cold comfort when you hear the guys that are on their way out the door suddenly sort of develop a moral compass. It's such bullshit. And by the way, they haven't delivered on anything. There have been some pretty big ticket issues that they could have done something about in the last week and they've chosen not to. So like, call me when your backbones made of action will like bone matter? And not? What am I even saying, John Cornyn? What the fuck ever? What the fuck ever? Is what I say?
Speaker 1: I know I agree with everything you said, and then I also love hearing quotes like that, so it's you know, it's a get a little bit of both I get mad because I'm like, why where have you been? But also, yeah, I think I think what he said is right. I hope so well.
Speaker 2: And I think that there's a you know, you should be dragging all of these every time an administration official goes in goes up to the hill, a fairy gets her wings. Every time an American administration official goes to the the Hill and has to testify under real questioning, they prove themselves to be absolute clowns, and someone ends up losing their job. Like just look at the you know, look at look at the track record of Pam Bondi and Christy Nome and you know, Tulsey Gabbert. Like so the once Democrats control Congress, and I think there's a likelihood that's both houses. Like there's gonna be some real investigation into the absolute I'm not going to say, I mean the amorality, the potential criming, and the deep corruption in this administration, and they're gonna have to answer for it, all of.
Speaker 1: It, and then they're going to continue fighting with each other, which we hear is happening right now. Apparently trum Trump is not happy about any of this, and it's putting a real strain on the supportive workplace culture that he has tried so hard to build. Here's a MAGA operative close to the White House talking to Playbook this morning. Trump is quote increasingly frustrated with everyone from his own team to the Senate. He's pissed and people are not recognizing the level of pisted that he is. And here's another White House ally talking about Trump's staff. Quote knives are out in some capacity. This person said, I mean people are stabbing people like. It's chaos. The chaos is like creeping back. Sounds like a fun place to work, no good benefits.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm great, great, real The ladder is steep, but you can climb, I don't. I mean the knives are out, Like if you thought, what should we be surprised that the most incompetent and corrupt White House in American history is beset by infighting and backstabbing? Absolutely not. I guess what's marginally interesting to me about that is those quotes are choice, but that it hasn't spilled out as much. I'm setting aside, like Bongino Gait and all, that that infighting hasn't spilled out in the sort of real chrimlinology of this White House the way that it did in Trump one point zero, given that things are going so much worse for Trump and he's so much more addled and obviously less I mean, maybe he's a sleep more. So that offers a reprieve and people can, you know, unruffle their feathers. But it's interesting to me that there hasn't been as much of a revolving door and sort of leaked backstabbing sort of anecdotes coming out of this White House the way there was and Trump won. I don't know what that owes to, maybe at Susie Wilds, but it sure still doesn't sound like a good place to work. I mean, nothing is. Once you've been to the crooked media headquarters, the bar is very high.
Speaker 1: Very high. My guess on this is that the percentage of like, die hard loyalists is much higher in the second term, and so all the people who might have had a conscience or wanted to speak out or thought the things were going too far, they're all gone now, and so it's just the hardcore true believers. And so if you're starting to get knives out among those people, that's the good stuff right there. That's when you know things are combustible.
Speaker 2: And I would say, you know, and I'm sure we'll talk about this later when we talk about the slush fund. There is the carrot on the stick of personal enrichment in a way that is like it's an almost an explicit promise. Like if you're in this White House and you know Pam Bondi was doing stock trades, they all have sort of various honeypots that they're dipping into that will keep you there, your seat maybe a little bit longer because you're making you have side hustles in a way that that was not an option or that they hadn't discovered that maybe in Trump one point, Oh, there is a reason to stay longer perhaps than you would. I mean, you know, personal personal, what is it? Personalized? Bourbon doesn't just grow on trees, John, And if your cash bettel being FBI director, you know, membership has its perks.
Speaker 1: Sure does. So. Trump was off the course pissed that Republicans keep defying him, and that's like one of the things he's really mad about. And it looks like Republican sort of displeasure with him picking Bill Poulty for acting DNI as you and I talked about last week. Has led to Trump announcing his long term pick for d n I, and it's that's US attorney and former SEC Chair Jay Clayton. So that got announced today on Thursday, presumably because enough republic and said fuck no, we're not dealing with the Bill Poulty is a bridge too far. And also if you go ahead with Bill Poulty as a permanent DNI director or even a temporary DNI which some of them said absolutely not about that. Even if they do that, then what they were going to do is hold up seven oh two or the reauthorization of seven oh two, which is what gives the federal government warrantless spy powers. Got to make sure the government has warrantless by powers. Right, That is a again that is a bipartisan push. But anyway, so now the question is does this do it for Congress now that they've got And also, what do you think about Jay Clayton?
Speaker 2: Okay, so two things. One as I understand it, and our Crackerjack fact checking team can probably disabuse me of this if it's incorrect, but Poulty remains. I think the Times is reporting the current plan is for Polty to continue to serve as acting director until Clayton is confirmed by the Senate.
Speaker 1: Yes, and and and Bill and he once again. There there was another story about apparently he called Tulsey Gabbard Bill Polti and was like, I know you said you're leaving next month or whatever, but you're out now I'm starting. And she's like what the fuck. She's like, the president should tell me that. And then she called the President and he was like, well, I get what do you want your last day to be? And so now it's going to be I think in a week week and a half.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's because he knows he has you know, the clock is running. And these, you know, Tish James mortgage fraud documents don't just find themselves John.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's in there to be faffing around in classified material to try and drum up reasons why elections have been stolen or Democrats or corrupt or whatever the fuck it is. But I don't like the idea of Bill Pulty being anywhere near the Office of National Intelligence, Like that is setting aside Jay Clayton, like that is alarming, And that is every reason why Democrat they should first of all Senate Republican like John Cornyan, who are you know, intent on giving the president keeping him in line. They got the wool pulled over their eyes on the slush fund. I know we're talking about that coming up, but they shouldn't get their will the wool pulled over their eyes on Bill Pulty, Like that man needs to be locked out of the intelligence infrastructure and get a restraining order basically because even two weeks on the job for him is too many. And if that means holding up vice A reauthorization until and unless that happens, then that's what should happen. Like he is a danger to democracy.
Speaker 1: Now, this is basically what that's basically what. I haven't seen other Democrats yet, but Mark Warner, who's ranking member on Intel, said that. Warner was like, this is fine. I'm like, I wish we could have got here earlier, but there's no way where we're no way we're reauthorizing FAIZA unless we get assurances that there's no Bill Poulte at all.
Speaker 2: Like Bill Poulty needs to be extradited to a different country and get nowhere near like a passport office. I will say, I mean Clayton Oversaw a lot of the review of the Epstein documents. He was the one, I think his off his prosecutors brought the case against Nicholas Maduro, which was, you know, nominally the reason that Trump went in and seized Maduro. He's very capable of doing the president's bidding, and I think that's probably what won him favor. He also, in recent days has been raising alarms about fraud in California and the vote count.
Speaker 1: So, like, I noticed that, Yeah, he said, he said, I'm not saying there's fraud, but the laws, the way they're written in California present the opportunity for fraud. I'm like, Okay, we know why Jake Clayton.
Speaker 2: Was just totally I mean, that's and that's a prerequisite for any But like, I don't know, there's a part of me that thinks, Okay, maybe Clayton gets in there and he proves himself to be more of a bulwark against Trump's most lawless impulses, or maybe he becomes more of a student Like Todd Blanche was a kind of respected, like white you know, white shoe law firm kind of guy and has turned out to be like the architect of our national nightmare. So I'm a little worried. I'm worried about anybody that meets Trump's standards or substandards for any of these positions. I like the jim Heims, someone I you know, and and Mark Warner of people Democrats who have like very good reputations on this are signing off on him and saying he's good. That's reassuring. But you know, I worry something happens to you when you walk into the Trump administration. You have to check your morals and your brain at.
Speaker 1: The door, especially if you're someone who wants the job. Yeah, that's that's a that's a red flag you.
Speaker 2: No one in their right mind should want this. Also, idiot ass administration understand there's a legislative branch that like needs to confirm this, but like, why did he nominate this guy? As the House is out and the Senate's out, Like, this is nothing, Nothing's going to happen till I think June twenty third. So FAISA authorization is going to expire almost no matter what, even if the candidate is more to the liking of the Upper Chamber.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and again, is it some kind of a scheme or is it just typical incompetence. It could be either probably probably a comple probably a competence. Podsave America is brought to you by stamps dot Com. We could all use a few more hours, even minutes in the day for ourselves. Skip your trip to the post office and stop letting mailing steal your precious little time with stamps dot Com. With stamps dot com, you can print postage and shipping labels from your computer or phone twenty four to seven with up to ninety percent off ups, USPS, FedEx and more. No lines, no trips, no waiting, get everything done in minutes, and even schedule free pickups so carriers come right to you whether you're sending letters, contracts, important legal documents, or packages. Stamps dot com makes mailing simple for businesses of all sizes, including multilocation offices. You can even send certified mail with proof of delivery right from your desk. If mailing is taking more time and more money than it should, try stamps dot com free for four weeks and get a welcome kit. Go to stamps dot com slash psa to get this offer today. That's stamps dot com slash psa, stamps dot com slash PSA, taxes and fees apply. Pots of America is brought to you by Sundays. If you've ever had a dog who's picky when it comes to food, we do you know how surprisingly stressful it can be. You'll try every brand under the sun in the hopes that your dog will finally find the one they like. But maybe the answer is simply that your dog knows the difference between processed brown pellets and real food. Sundays for dogs is different. They start with over eighty percent all natural meats and then finish with superfoods like kale, ginger, blueberries. All of the ingredients are gently air dryed instead of using high heat. Sundays doesn't look or smell like traditional store bought dog food. It looks like high quality jerky, the kind humans would eat. No fillers, no nutritional blends, no chemicals, just simple, complete nutrition. Founded by doctor Tory Waxman, Sundays was created to meet her high standards as a veterinarian and as a dog parent. And the best part, Sundays requires no fridge, no freezer, no prep, no mess. You get the quality of a home cooked meal with a scoop and serve ease of kibble. It's what dog food should have been all along. Our dog, Leo, can definitely tell the difference between real food and dog food because he really likes the real food and is always trying to get it off the table. But now that he has Sundays, he is very excited. Every time he eats. We pour it into the bowl, he runs to the bowl and it's easy to store. It doesn't smell bad like some of the other dog food, and we love it. Make the switch to Sundays. Go right now to Sundays fordogs dot com slash crooked fifty and get fifty percent off your first order. Or you can use code crooked fifty at checkout. That's fifty percent off your first order at sundaysfodogs dot com slash crooked fifty, Sundays fordogs dot com slash crooked fifty, or use code crooked fifty at checkout on the slush fund that you mentioned. The Atlantic Sera Fitzpatrick, who broke those stories about cash hotel drinking on the job, has new reporting that administration officials are quietly telling allies that quote plans for some form of payout remain on track, so we've talked about this too, everyone that you know. Blanche said it's we're not moving forward with it. But then Republicans in Congress blocked any provision in the ice funding bill that would have killed it for good. And then Trump talks about how much he loves it still and he loves the slush fund, And sure enough, it sounds like from this reporting, and Sarah talked to quite a few officials, current and former in the Justice Department in Congress and the Trump administration elsewhere who said that basically there the plan could be that anyone who wants to pay out from the slush fund or from what used to be the slush fund would just sue the government, because that's who you'd sue for that, and then the federal government, the dj will just settle and settle for an amount of money, some amount of money. It is a payout, and that's that. Even if the courts are like because they wouldn't take their case to court because the court would be like, well, that's fucking crazy. You're on you're on video almost murdering a cop. So no, we're not going to pay you any money or or find in favor of you, and they'll say, well, we don't have to go to court because the DOJ will settle with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it's not an adversarial lawsuit. Therefore it would be thrown out in court. But with this true story of this administration, as obviously corrupt as the ballrooms and the reflecting pool contracts and all that shit, is the true story of corruption is what they're doing behind closed doors, inside the guts of the federal government. And I will just plug Runaway Country one more time because this week we talked to Pro Publica reporter Robert Fechteracci, who's been breaking amazing stories, including the way in which the Trump kids are dipping their hands in the deep coffers of the Department of Defense and you know, making ten x investments on venture capital funds or rire earth mineral startups or drone contractors. There is a lot of cash floating around in the American federal government, and they have figured out a way to tap that maple tree, if you will. And the slush fund is exemplary of the opacity once people stop, once these kind of issues stop being adjudicated publicly in courts or you know, politically, and it's just a kind of behind the scenes process, a settlement fund at the DJ that hush hush, you can tap if you have friends at the DOJ. That's where the most brazen corruption happens. And I have every reason to believe that they intend on I mean Sarah's reporting, Yes, but it's also Todd Blanche refused to write down like he wouldn't submit a written statement saying the slush fund is outlawed. Like their behavior in and around the cancelation of the slush fund was so transparent, it was clear that they were going to try and resurrect it in some fashion. And the statements in the piece I think she quotes Tom Tillis, who's like he has grown vocal in his criticism of the administration as he heads towards retirement and indicated he may not vote to confirm Blanche unless the fund is truly dead. Gee, you fucking think Tom, Why are you even alive? What are you doing? BILDI Cassidy? What is the point of you? I think I said this last time we were on the podcast Lesson What is the point of you? Bill Cassidy? Like, how cuck can you be to this madman and his stooges. When is enough enough?
Speaker 1: Apparently there there is no limit. And I do think that what you just mentioned about Blanche, that is one leverage point here is don't confirm Blanche unless you know they put it in a court filing, right, you got to. You can't just say it anymore if they're like well, and also, don't confirm Blanche because he helped with the Epstein cover up. And I just saw there was breaking news that a group of Epstein survivors, you know, announced public opposition to Blanche's attorney general nomination. Like, I do think that's the kind of fight you can pick that actually is you know, gets more attention than just we don't want Todd Blanche because Todd Blanch sucks, right, like we have like you have some good examples. I think on the slush fund too, I would make like this is an extreme example that tells the whole story of the Trump administration. And if I were Democrats, I would hammer it every single day from now into the mid terms. If they win, they have a secret plan to take your money and give it to criminals who beat cops and abuse children. Yeah, that's because those are a lot of the Jain sells itself somehow, somehow. So many of the January sixth convicts also have either gone on to commit child abuse or had in the past, So that's just that's interesting. But yeah, these are the people that they want to give your money to if they win. And this is one area too where there's a lot of things that Trump's doing where if Democrats take Congress, Unfortunately, we're not going to be able to do anything until we have a democratic president. So everyone's going to have to, you know, keep fighting and we're not gonna be able to pass legislation because Trump's still president. But everything where you were just talking about happening behind closed doors, happening in secret, with the slush fund, with the other stuff. Democrats take Congress, they're going to be able to like shine a light on all of that and make sure that it doesn't happen a lot of.
Speaker 2: It at least, and to make sure it doesn't happen of.
Speaker 1: Slush fund is a perfect example of that. And so I would be saying that all through the fall, like you, you elect Republicans and they are going to Donald Trump is going to take your money and use it to pay out criminals, criminals who beat cops.
Speaker 2: John, They're such jabbronis though, Like they probably can't even pull it off in secret, like they have the quote Chadley Woodward Junior, who's an associate Attorney General who signed off on the slush fund, and he responds, we're on it to a post by Lindsey Graham that suggested victims of the weaponization fund could still be compensated through other means. It's like, you're not supposed to say that, dude. He then deleted the post. They're so dumb.
Speaker 1: They are so dumb. And the and the criminals who were going to try to get the payouts, they're not going to be able to stop themselves from bragging about it because they're all total Yeah.
Speaker 2: Videos of themselves rolling around on heads of money, like Demi Moorn in decent proposal.
Speaker 1: Yes, like videos that they took of themselves breaking into the Capitol and trying to you know, exactly. So, speaking of knives out in Trump world, let's talk about the explosive story in the Times about just how badly the administration fucked up the entire Epstein saga. The story is actually an excerpt for Maggie Haberman and Jonathan Swan's forthcoming new book, Regime Change, and it includes some pretty incredible details and anecdotes that involved Trump officials screaming at each other and just generally acting like morons. What were some of your favorite bits?
Speaker 2: Oh god, I mean, do I have to talk about abused nipples or will you talk about that? I really don't have to talk I had We're going to have to tackle it.
Speaker 1: Tommy and I did a lot of nipple talk responding to this on YouTube, went to America YouTube. Why don't you sorry, we don't do a lot of public nipple talk, right, Okay, but yeah we did. We did. We did lead off with this yesterday on the pods of America YouTube. But that's that's why, that's why I want to hear.
Speaker 2: Well, that's why you should be a subscriber.
Speaker 1: Huh exactly. That's a that's a great.
Speaker 2: Place to Okay, where to begin, let's table abuse nipples. Maybe we won't even get to it, and we'll drive people to the subscription only YouTube rapid response. I think they're just One of the things that grabbed me initially was the idea that they're sitting in the sit room. Trump isn't there and it's like the Crackerjack a team to figure out what to do about the Epstein scandal, And it's like Susie Wild's David Warrington find Caroline Levitt, Stephen Chung, Pam Bondi, Cash Betel. This is like I'm trying to think, is it like a gang of like resputants or Yago? Like what's the appropriate character delineation for this group of malicious idiots? But anyway, then I of course I focus a lot on the JD. Vans of it all because in these inside Maggie and Jonathan have done great reporting and they did another similar sort of piece about how America decided to go to war, which also involves a group of malicious idiots. Yeah, and it's clear that Jade Vance is a source for some of this. Like in some parts of this he comes across as like the only clear thinker and understands that Epstein is a major problem for Trump and he needs to do something about it, and they need to be aggressive, and you know, he needs to. He presses for the administration to release all the files and even the unsubstantiated allegations and anecdotes. But then he also has like the most dumb fuck ideas ever, like having suggesting that that Tucker Carlson go and interview Gallayne Maxwell like somehow that's going to solve their problems, which would only spin it into the stratosphere and is like asking a six year old to go eat a whole bunch of cotton candy and then take the teacups ride like it's all sensory overload. Can you even imagine what that conversation would be? Like, I can't, I don't know what did you think?
Speaker 1: Also, well, so I had a couple of like big odds on the whole thing. Big picture thoughts. One is that the people in the administration who most understand like what really drives and angers the magabase, your jd Vance is your Dan Bongino's, they may be sources for this story like that could be likely, but clearly like they what's awesome about this is that they, you know, spoke up and and are trying to stop this and trying to fix it, and yet they are going to be tarnished forever by not having achieved any of what they set out to achieve. So it's not like like no, no one in the magabase is going to be like reading this and thinking like, oh, you know jd Vance, our guy on the inside, he tried his best.
Speaker 2: Did you meet Maggie? And Jonathan's TikTok come.
Speaker 1: On like no one, no one's gonna think that. Yeah. So jd Vance is like, I have a great idea, will have Tucker interview Gallayne masks Well. And then there was like that's kind of crazy. Then Todd Blanche is like, I'll interview Gallaine Maxwell, and then the White House counsole floats give her a pardon, and then the rest of the room strongly disagrees. And then Stephen Chung says, quote, pardoning Maxwell a trafficker of young girls would create a huge pr problem. No fucking shit, huh wow. Also a good thing you're in this job. You're a you're a bright guye well.
Speaker 2: But also not even a gesture.
Speaker 1: I know, towards the morality.
Speaker 2: More the morality here, not a word they understand. The ethics never ever come into debate. It is just about spin. It is just about minimizing the drama for the Trump administration. It is nothing about the victims and survivors who went through this hell like it's so naked, not that it should surprise anybody, but really it's astounding.
Speaker 1: And then JD Vance is like, then they thought when they were coming out with that that wonderful memo that did nothing but cause them more trouble. Uh. They had this original plan to have Todd Blank go on Joe Rogan to talk about this, and then JD's like, well, how about I go instead of Todd Blanche and I can take a few questions about this, but because it's me the Vice President and not Todd Blanche, he'll have to ask about other stuff like the administration's progress on helping working people and the tax cuts and the building if you listened to Joe Rogan. And then of course Joe Rogan was like, I'm only taking JD. Vansa, not Todd Blanche because who the fuck is Todd Blanche and so and then it never goes anywhere. But I did like that little anecdote, just because JD clearly has some really the mind of a communication strategist.
Speaker 2: You definitely want to hear about how we're helping working families and how we're cutting the social safety net to help those working families. Also, Pam BONDI like released her fake dummy Epstein files without any consultation with the White House.
Speaker 1: Right, and this is a small, small thing, small thing, But she was left out on some of the emails about the memo. And the reason is is because it said Bondi rarely used her Justice Department email and was not on the chain where the group worked on the memo. The Attorney General rarely uses, rarely used her Justice Department email. Remember twenty six.
Speaker 2: Why is there some irony in that that I'm missing?
Speaker 1: No, No, it's we've always we've always cared a lot about It's not like.
Speaker 2: She's dealing with classified information.
Speaker 1: Ipsack here and so and then Dan Bongino screams at Pambondy, yells at Susie Wiles, storms out of meetings. He said to Pambondy, you fucked this thing up from the start, the way you've been talking about this, the dumb fucking charade with the Epstein files that they're on my desk, nonsense, all the promises to the folks out there. So that was fun.
Speaker 2: That threatened to quick bong Gino definitely a source. Also this I like this part of it. Privately, Bongino seethed in conversations with confidants. He lamented what the job had cost him millions of dollars in podcast revenue, family time his audience.
Speaker 1: Just sandwiched in between the millions in podcasts. Yeah I left. I'm sorry millions. Yeah no, I've left to spend more time with my audience, just like Okay, No.
Speaker 2: It's good to know where your kids stand now. They now they know for sure we should between your your like, your downloads, and your YouTube subscribers. Cool.
Speaker 1: Before we move on to from the from this, we should at least talk about nipplegate because otherwise people are going to think that we're weird that we didn't. We just threw it out there and then and then didn't actually explain that.
Speaker 2: We don't want them to think we're perverts.
Speaker 1: No, right, So what the president?
Speaker 2: That would be the president.
Speaker 1: So when they looked through all the emails and all the files, they found h allegations from a woman named Sarah Ransom, and she claimed that she knew a girl in Epstein's sex trafficking ring named Jen, who said she had sex with Trump. Ransom also claimed that Jen had told her that Trump had a predilection for nipples and that he had aggressively flicked and sucked hers. She wrote that she had seen evidence when she shared a bathroom with Jen quote they looked incredibly painful as they were read and swollen, and I remember wincing when I looked at them.
Speaker 2: She wrote, thank you for taking that one for the team.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I was like, I'm going to have to do this because I'm a woman, but you really thank you for doing me that solid.
Speaker 1: So of course, you know, unsubstantiated, but there was we heard. We didn't hear this exact story, but like this story had been out there, and then the White Houses tried to say that because she had basically rescinded other allegations because she said she was afraid for her life, that maybe she's not a reliable source, and so that oh, she she said the other things weren't true. She took it back, and so this is so there's still like some confusion around there. But anyway, the point is this story is why they didn't make the searchable database for all the files and left some out of there, which also ended up fucking them because obviously people knew they're worthholding some of the files.
Speaker 2: Damned if you do, damned if you don't. There's like the fact that we now live in the universe where these kind of stories are ones about the president of the United States, where we're talking about the document that connected Trump to the claim about abused nipples was among the material that came out. I also like, that's what we're we now have to talk about abused nipples in the context of the president of the United States. And then I also like the JD vance is like, Trump would be okay, if you released the nipple related documents, it's.
Speaker 1: Going to be better, going to be better to get it all out there.
Speaker 2: Abusing nipples, it's nothing to the it's nothing compared to the other abuse. And then Susie Wells is like hard, no, hard, no JD not letting nipplegate get out there.
Speaker 1: Obviously like the lurid nature of that story and the description makes it like that that is what sort of attracts your attention. But just stepping back from it all if like that is an allegation the Donald Trump was involved with Jeffrey Epstein's sex trafficking of underage girls, right, and so now we have like and we're just all like, oh, well, that's that's a wild story. It's like, no, no, no, it's.
Speaker 2: But the only allegation right that was it's it's and and it's like the one person in the White House who did not want to deal with the Epstein files, did not want to deal with the strategy around transparency and what was released and what wasn't was Donald Trump. And it's like, hmmm, and.
Speaker 1: I need that be And he says privately to Marjorie Taylor Green in the piece, Oh, it's because I don't want it really, because it could really hurt some of my friends, like, yeah, including his best friend.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, his very closest friend. And then we yes, I mean there are a lot of Listen, we're just asking questions, John, yeahs.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, it's all out there. It's all out there. One other data point on why Trump might not be in a great mood. I know you saw the Post story saying that the Washington Post story is saying that his last medical checkup, Trump was by twenty two different medical specialists. I did not read this whole story, but I know you wanted to.
Speaker 2: That's all there is. Have you ever seen twenty two doctors? The last time he was at the at Walter Reed, he was seen by fourteen specialists, eleven before twenty two doctors. Seems like a lot. Now you could say, oh, Biden saw twenty I think according to Kree John Pierre at his last year in office. But Biden also wasn't covering his hands in like Mabeline concealer on the daily, didn't have a rash creeping up his neck, wasn't falling asleep all the time at any hour, and as you know, addled as Biden seemed, I don't think he approached the incoherence of Trump, and certainly not with the same stakes. Like we're in the middle of a war and the global economy is in a tailspin. There's like food shortages happening around the world. People in the Philippines can't go to work five days a week because there's not enough fuel. I mean, it's like, anyway, I think we should all be talking thank you for including this in the rundown, John, because I do think we should all be talking a lot more about his fitness for office. Like it's kind of crazy to me that the the the Jabbroni who fell asleep at the Knicks game gets a pass for any of it. Like it is he increasingly shows no signs of competence in office, and the American public deserved to have more transparency about his health.
Speaker 1: I do agree. I will also say, though, if if Donald Trump was turned out to be in one hundred percent tip top shape not fit for office, don't think it would have Don't think it would be improving his performance no percent. I think that he I think if he had if he is, if he was like a physical specimen at whatever his age is, to be eighty years old this weekend, If he's a physical specimen, if he had the the if he had the constitution of a forty year old, he would still be as bad of a president as he is right now.
Speaker 2: Respect I agree.
Speaker 1: But it is. It is fucking weird.
Speaker 2: It'd be good to know if he's dying.
Speaker 1: Speaking of this weekend, we'd be remiss if we didn't discuss the massive sporting event bringing Americans together in a celebration of our shared purpose and values, the UFC sponsored cage match that Donald Trump is staging on the White House lawn for his eightieth birthday on Sunday. A group called Public Integrity Project is suing to try to stop the event. I'm not sure they'll succeed. According to the AP, the government attorneys revealed in legal filings that the UFC and other private groups have already spent sixty million dollars on the event that is a government saying that they did not say how much the federal government has shelled out, but wrote that seven different agencies are involved and have quote allocated significant resources and manpower. Most of this is you know, UFC is footing the bill for most of this and various sponsors, but I don't know. You have seven different government agencies and that's going to be that's going to be directing some time and energy and resources that could be going to the business of the people.
Speaker 2: I suppose again I point you to the real grift that's happening is inside the guts of the federal government. Like there will be an accounting for it at some point, but this we should assume the very worst about what they're doing and the way they are reappropriating resources to serve Donald Trump's massive ego. The only thing I can hold out hope for John is, first of all, I believe the cage matches on Sunday. Is that right way ins are on Saturday. I'm looking at the forecast for Washington, d C. Ninety two degrees and thunderstorms.
Speaker 1: I know I saw that. I saw that because when I thought I was going, I was saying it was going to be that hot. It was a chance of thunderstorms. I don't know if the chances increased, but it's a.
Speaker 2: Fifty five percent chance of scattered thunderstorms in the afternoon and evening.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't want to I don't notice anything that's gonna trigger any kind of karma. Because forecasts for Chicago on Thursday at the Obama Library opening one day Chicago, it's supposed to rain heavily.
Speaker 2: Yes, But is there an outdoor cage match happening at the celebrary that I'm unaware of? David axel Rod versus Jack Blue.
Speaker 1: Have you seen the pictures of the of the Octagon.
Speaker 2: Yes, dude, it looks like six flags. It's so bad. They like that's ai you got tricked and wasn't.
Speaker 1: If it wasn't on the White House line, I'd be like, that looks pretty cool. And I'm not like a UFC fan, but like, that looks pretty cool. But I'm like, this is on the south line of the White House. It's also extremely funny. And just talk about the symbolism. Uh, they built a like an eight hundred foot octagon cage right next to the rubble of the east wing.
Speaker 2: Exactly, John, the ways happening at the Wayans are happening at the Lincoln Memorial.
Speaker 1: No, I looked into this is it? You canceled the Wayans. So this was the organization that was filing the lawsuit. Got in trouble for this because they put it in the filing too. But the press conference is being held of the Lincoln Memorial and the Wayans are happening at the Ellipse.
Speaker 2: Oh, very fantastic. He loves the Ellipse for all important things. I don't know. I am not a fan of this, but it is the country I wanted this president, and some people in this country will be served by this gruesome spectacle, and perhaps they will enjoy it, or perhaps Mother Nature will have the last laugh and shoot down bolts of lightning to the south lawne of the White House, preventing the cage match from happening on Donald Trump's birthday.
Speaker 1: The thing that, honestly, the only thing that the story that has bothered me the most about this is the hot troops only story that for all the the for all the service members that are getting invited that have to pay first all they have to pay their own way to get there, and then they have to meet a certain weight requirement. And one defense official told that they wanted to make sure they pick people who are going to look good on television.
Speaker 2: This is so fun what you go when you install a men's grooming expert as the secretary of Defense. This is the kind of stuff that you get. I wish he was just doing TikTok videos about how to keep salt and pepper hair looking dignified.
Speaker 1: Instead, but less he's running a war in Iran. Yeah, good stuff. When we come back, you'll hear my conversation with CNN's Ron Brownstein. We will talk about the Senate map, the House map, and all kinds of other good stuff. Pods of America is brought to you by Walmart. You know, we talk a lot about finding a job, but what about building a career? Walmart is actually making that happen for their associates by investing over a billion dollars in training and education. And the proof is in the number is last year are more than one hundred thousand associates earned promotions, adding great benefits like four oh one CA matching and paid parental leave. And it's clear Walmart isn't just a place to work, it's a place to grow. Go see for yourself at Walmart dot com slash grow at Walmart. That's Walmart dot com, slash grow at Walmart. Ron Brownstein, welcome back to plat Save America.
Speaker 6: Hey, good to be with John.
Speaker 1: So, since you're one of the smartest political analysts out there, wanted to check in get your thoughts on the primaries we've had and the midterms ahead of us. Maybe we can start big picture. Where are we right now, little less than five months till the midterms. How does this political environment compare to where we were in twenty eighteen, which was the last midterm when Democrats faced an unpopular Donald Trump and did quite well.
Speaker 4: That is a really good place to I think the right point of comparison. And I think this election to me is just shaping up as the classic collision between the irresistible force and the immovable object, and both of them, both the irresistible force and the immovable objects, are getting stronger as we go.
Speaker 6: The irresistible force is the.
Speaker 4: Widespread disapproval of Trump and dissatisfaction with the economy. You know, if you go back to twenty eighteen and the Exit Pole, Trump's approved writing was forty five percent. It is not going to be forty five percent in all likelihood on election day this year. I mean, it may not be as low as it is now in the high thirties, but you know, I think at best it's going to be in the low forties.
Speaker 6: So Trump is probably going.
Speaker 4: To be more unpopular today than he was on election day in twenty eighteen. Second, you know, in the twenty eighteen EXI Pole, two thirds of voters described the economy in positive terms. You know, even as Democrats who are winning forty plus House seats, It's probably going to be two thirds describing it in negative terms this time. So I think, you know, if you think of those kind of attitudes as the motor that drives the wave, there's every reason believe the democratic now, the democratic overall democratic performance will be even better, I think than the wave behind them is even stronger than it was in twenty eighteen. I will put one caveat on that in a minute, But so like the wave looks to me like it could be very high. Democrats won the popular vote by eight and a half points in twenty eighteen when Trump was at forty five. Could they win the popular vote by more if he's at forty one or forty two and two thirds of the country is dissatisfied with the economy.
Speaker 6: I think that's possible. Now.
Speaker 4: The other side of the equation is the immovable object, which is that to a greater extent than in twenty eighteen, this election is being fought out on Republican terrain. Right in twenty eighteen, you had what about two dozen House Republicans and districts that voted for Clinton two years earlier. Now, before the redistricting, you only had three, and even kind of more broadly, in twenty eighteen, you still had the remnants of all of these House Republicans who who were holding on in suburban way collar districts outside of the South. Even in the South, I guess a couple mostly outside of the South that had been voting Democratic at the presidential level since Bill Clinton and Democrats really cleaned them out in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 6: Three quarters of the House seats that.
Speaker 4: Democrats won in twenty eighteen had more white college graduates than the national average.
Speaker 6: It was kind of the bookend.
Speaker 4: I look at twenty eighteen as the book end to twenty ten and twenty ten. The Republicans cleaned out the last blue dog Democrats who were surviving in heavily blue collar rural districts that have been voting Republican for twenty thirty years, and they kind of wiped all of them out. And then Democrats in twenty eighteen did the same with the kind of suburban in the nineties they used to call gypsy moth Republicans. So as a result, there really aren't that many more of those white collar seats left to win in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 6: There are a few.
Speaker 4: There's Mike Lawler, there's Tom Kaine Junior, there's Don Bacon's seat, there's Brian Fitzpatrick. But most of the seats that Democrats are targeting this year in the House in very encounterpoint to twenty eighteen have more non college whites than the national average, And of course that is a real challenge. I mean, you know, you look at districts in Ohio and Iowa and Michigan and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin. That is a big chunk of what Democrats are trying to win back, and most of those seats are more heavily white, blue collar than the national average. Same story in the Senate. By the way, eight of the ten seats that both sides considered the most competitive in the Senate I wrote about this a few months ago, have more blue collar whites in the national average. And you know, if you kind of look at it by presidential vote, you have Maine, and as we've talked about before, let me just take one step back. You know, Senate results and presidential vote are just much more correlated than when even you got started in this much less meat. You know, there are twenty five states that voted three times for Donald Trump. Republicans now have all fifty of their Senate seats, which obviously makes it tough. I mean, you're kind of seating fifthfty seats at the start. You know, he's a pretty narrow pathway. There are nineteen states that voted three times against Trump. Democrats have thirty seven of their thirty eight, with Susan Collins as the last exception. And then there are six states that have flipped back and forth at any time in the three Trump races, and Democrats now have ten of their twelve Senate seats, and that is very.
Speaker 6: Much the way I look at the Senate.
Speaker 4: The job for the Democrats is, first of all, to beat Susan Collins, to get rid of the last Republican left in the thirty among the thirty eight in the states that voted three times against Trump. They've got to defend two seats in the flip states, which is Georgia and Michigan.
Speaker 6: But ultimately they have to break.
Speaker 4: Into not only in the near term, but in the long term, because it's obviously not you know, it's not a not a plausible strategy to give fifty seats away at the start. They have to break back into the Trump three times states.
Speaker 6: So what do you got.
Speaker 4: You have North Carolina, which he only won narrowly. But after that, every other state they have to win in the Senate. Trump win by double digits two years ago, which is not easy. That's probably in order, you know, North Carolina, Alaska, Ohio, Texas, Iowa, right, and if you don't win Maine, if you don't convert Maine, and you and I are in different places about Maine, we should probably talk about it at some point. If you don't convert Maine. You got to win three senences in states Trump won by double digits two years ago, and that's asking a lot. So overall, I would say Democrats that the conditions are more favorable to Democrats than in twenty two, with the exception that you've had the Biden presidency in the middle and that definitely took, you know, put a dent in the Democratic image that matters. I think that the party outside of the White House, their image matters less than the performance of the president in the midterm. But nonetheless it's there. Conditions should be overall better for Democrats, but the Republicans have built stronger defenses, both in terms of the inherent nature of the of the playing field and also the Jerryman during that's happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's that's a very good summary of where we are right now. So thank you. Let's let's dive into Maine. That was my next question anyway, because you know, we had the primary this week. Also, as you mentioned, like you've been sounding the alarm about the electoral risk Democrats are taken. With Graham Plattner, and since everyone's heard enough of my not quite as worried view, want to I want folks to hear a good, smart counter, but give it.
Speaker 6: You want to give them the full worried view.
Speaker 4: Look Susan Collins, as I say, is an anomaly or a unicorn, whatever you want to call her. As I said, she is the only Republican left in the nineteen states that voted three times against Trump thirty seven to one. She's the one. In Trump's first term, she was the only Republican senator or challenger, according to the exit polls, who won in a state when more people disapproved than approved of his performance as president. She was also the only Republican Senate incumbent or challenger to hold their Democratic opponent to less than eighty nine percent of the people who disapproved of Trump. Sarah Gideon in twenty twenty only won seventy one.
Speaker 6: Percent of Trump disapprovers.
Speaker 4: Every other Democratic Senate candidate during the first Trump term one at least eighty nine percent of Trump disapprovers. You know, and that relationship is not getting weaker generally. Jay Jones in Virginia one eighty nine percent of Trump disapprovers. Cheryl and Spanberger won ninety three to ninety four percent of Trump disapprovers there was a poll from the University of Massachusetts at Lowell, even before the latest rounds of revelations about sexting and the New York Times story about his relationships with former partners, that found Platner winning seventy four percent of Trump disapprovers In me. That is Susan Collins's superpower. She is able to get to a greater extent than any Republican anywhere. She is able to get any other Republican anywhere. She's able to get voters to disapprove of Trump to vote for her, especially older women. And the key to her Why did she win in twenty twenty in a state where Trump's disapproval in the exit pole was fifty eight percent and obviously Biden won the state by I think nine nine points. The reason is because she ran really far ahead of Trump among older white women. Both in the exitpol and the APVO cast are two major sources of you know, voter behavior at the state level.
Speaker 6: Collins A.
Speaker 4: Gideon ran fifteen points behind Biden among women forty five plus. Now, when I started doing that doing this in the eighties, things like that happened. They don't happen anymore. You do not have a major demographic group that veers off by fifteen points between how they view the president and how they view other candidates. You know, that's why Republicans have all fifty Senate seats in the twenty five states, Trump one three times, not because they're all great candidates. It's because those attitudes really shape things. So Platner seems to me. I would not say you cannot say Platiner can't win that in this environment, Trump is weaker than he was in twenty twenty, is disapproval is now over sixty in Maine. And Collins is weaker than she was in twenty twenty because you know, she Brett Kavanaugh in the interim between twenty twenty and now voted to overturn Roe v. Wade after she's stood on the Centi Forum promised she would she would not, he would not. So I would not say Platner can't win. I will say that Platiner makes it a lot harder than it has to be because his vulnerabilities I think map ominously over her strengths. I mean, I look at older white women as a prime audience to be worried about all of the things that have come out about it. And I also think, and I haven't talked about this as much, I think his strengths are less relevant and Maine than they might be elsewhere. I mean, if the guy's strength is that he you know, and it does seem legit that he can mobilize a lot of younger non voters, kind of a Trump thing in reverse.
Speaker 2: I mean main.
Speaker 4: I mean, this isn't Georgia or Texas or you know, even Wisconsin, where you have a huge pool of on voting young people. You have like the second or third oldest electorate in the country. I mean, your job, the job of a Democrat in Maine in twenty twenty six is not to mobilize new voters. It's not even to persuade a majority that Trump and the Republicans are taking the country in the wrong direction, because a majority, a big majority, already believed that in Maine. The job of the Democratic Senny candidate in Maine is to reassure the majority who already think Trump and the Republicans are taking the state in the wrong direction that it's okay to vote against Collins and that you are a reasonable alternative. And I think Platner again, he could win, but he introduces a tremendous amount of risk in that equation that doesn't need to be there. He has until July thirteen. I don't know if you've talked about this. Under main law, they can't push him out at this point, but he has until July thirteenth to step aside. And as I pointed out in a column this week, they've had they have really good candidates in the gubernatorial primary for candid It's got over twenty percent of the vote in the first round, including.
Speaker 6: Three who have very broad support on the left.
Speaker 4: And I do think that if there are more negative stories that come out, or if simply there are a lot of polls that raise you worrying direction between now and then, it would it would be in the interest of Democrats to kind of look at some of those alternatives, because I do think, and this will really get the mailbag, I do think that the forces that are the national forces behind Platiner, particularly the Sanders Warren orbit, are so determined to prove that their model is the right model for how Democrats come back, that they have lost sight of the actual human being that they are betting on and the place that they are testing it. And they seem to be more interested in beating Schumern in the primary than in beating Collins in the general.
Speaker 1: It's funny, I wouldn't say my bullishness. Maybe not. I wild say I'm not as barish as you. And the reason is actually has nothing to do with thinking that the Sanders model is the is the model or this is the proven ground for that. I actually think that just to talk about Collins, right, she has so she's never been this unpopular, right, She's never run a competitive race with a midterm electorate, which is like a whole new thing, as you know, right, And so we keep talking about the Saragideon example. But the Saragidion example is in twenty twenty, when you've got a whole presidential electorate, which, as we know and we've talked about and the audience probably knows by now, is is just in this era better for Republicans, right, because you bring out more of the non college less engaged voters.
Speaker 4: Generally speaking, midterm elections, the electorate is two three, even four points more college educated than the presidential the probably is presidential.
Speaker 1: And then you have and then you have a midterm electorate. So now she's running in her first competitive mid term electorate and one that is this favorable to Democrats, and the state has moved left since twenty twenty, and I think in there in twenty twenty four main swing right was maybe the one of the smallest, if not the smallest in the in the country.
Speaker 4: So those are all the reasons, as I say, he can win. There's no question he can win. There's any given the overall climate, given the specific as you say, Collins is weaker than she was in twenty twenty, Trump is more unpopular than he was in twenty twenty in Maine. So you can't say that any Democrat can't win. It's just that this is much more of a jump ball than it should be because of his unique ball on Bills, I kind of like.
Speaker 1: Are you surprised at how weak Mills was and still is in all these I mean even that pole. There's a poll out right before the primary where I think that Mills was like the first pole where Mills did slightly better than Platner against Collins, but still by only like one point two points. Like, I don't get how that Mills doing poorly and Gideon doing that poorly also makes me think, like what is it about those candidates who seem like they should fit the older women in main sort of voter model that you were talking about.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think, you know, I'm not an expert on Mills' relationships in the state, but there's no question she's conflicted pretty consistently with a lot of the same liberal groups in the state that are that are promoting Platiner. And you know, would one of the other alternatives in the governor race have done better against him in the end than Mills did. I think I think that's you know, I mean Hannah Pingree, former Speaker of the House, Troy Jackson, Bernie Drst and the governor race, former Senate president, and then Shinabellos, who was now the Secretary of State, who was kind of the sacrificial lamb against Collins in twenty fourteen when she was much younger and at that point I think had only been.
Speaker 6: The head of the state ac you uh, you know.
Speaker 4: The thing the thing about the thing about Mills is the thing I felt about Mills was that if she got to the general election, it wasn't clear to me what Collins would run against her on, Like if she was one point ahead now The thing about the thing about Platner is he gives them a lot to work with and it may not prove this positive. It may be that everything else is sufficient. But it introduced, you know, to to put him over the top. But it introduced a level of risk that I think is just unnecessary. And I think just like I said, I feel like many of the national forces in particular that are pushing Platter are just so determined to show that this is the right way for Democrats to win that they are not willing to acknowledge a this may not be the right place to test the theory, and I'm not sure it is. But b you know, like the candidates are not just like on It's like baseball. You could be the greatest prospect in the world. You actually got to go out and do it. And the realities that he is presenting them with, they are just powering through. And people say, well, you know, switching to Kamala Harris didn't work that well late in twenty four, I would say it worked out better than trying to stay the course. Like I'm not sure that Alyssa Slotckin and Reuben Diego and Jackie Rosen wouldn't say it worked out pretty.
Speaker 1: Well, But this is I was thinking about that. Like to me between now in July thirteenth, the easier scenario in some ways is if there are if like a ton of really damaging stories, or even one story that it's much more damaging, comes out and suddenly you see poles where he's down five, six, seven, eight, right, then it becomes like fairly easy, not easy, but easier for Democrats in Maine, which would would have to be to like go to the campaign and try to convince them to drop out. I think if there's like a few polls showing it tied or he's a point or two behind, and then there's no big storyries or maybe just one kind of in the middle story acture, then it's really hard to go to someone who did better in the primary than Sarah Gideon did when she was facing two kind of no names in twenty twenty and say, okay, you got more votes than the last nominee against Husan Collins, but now we're gonna make now we should push you aside because we're worried like that to me is the tougher that that introduces another that introduces risk that I think is greater, maybe than the risk we have right now.
Speaker 4: To the extent it is Republicans and not the media who has access to more damaging information. They're not gonna put it out before July.
Speaker 1: Thhich certainly not. But it feels like the media would get there.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but on their own, you know. Look like I like, we keep saying he can win. There's no guarantee he's gonna win, and he gives he gives her, he gives her an opportunity to play the cards she's played before. I mean, it's it's you know. I mean, it's it's it's you know. And and I like, like we're saying, you know, the if you don't if you don't win Maine, you got to win three out of four in Alaska or Ohio, Texas and Iowa. I mean that's asking a lot. I mean, in the long run, Democrats have to start competing again in these heavily blue collar Trump three time states. But you know, flipping and maybe the war goes on. Gas prices stay high, Trump stays under forty, Like, if Trump stays under forty, yeah, I could see them flipping three of those four conceivably. But if he gets back to the low forties, which I still would bet on on election day. Then you know that's asking a lot to win three of those four states.
Speaker 1: Well, let's leave Maine and talk about those four states. Like what, I think you sort of ordered them earlier quickly, but I would just love like you know, you have financial decisions if you're the Democrats, Like Texas is a very expensive, very big state to compete in Alaska, Iowa not as much. Ohio's obviously they're going to go on in in Ohio. How do you look at those four states in terms of feasibility for in flipping them?
Speaker 4: And so you got North Carolina, which which looks pretty good for Democrats. Now, I mean I think Republicans could end up pulling the plug there. So like to me, like you as I said to you before, Like and Trump's first term, Susan Collins is the only Republican who won an estate where according to the exit poem, more people disapproved than approved of his performance. So if you're thinking about Alaska, Ohio, Iowa, and Texas, they're all probably going to be right at the tipping point. Either he's either going to be slightly above fifty or maybe more likely below fifty. I mean, you know, I saw was it the argument that knew that? You know, la Kesha Jane and my former colleague at The Atlantic Jerusalem, they tried to use their polling to project Trump's approval in all of in all fifty states, and they had him seven points or more negative in all four of those states. And if that's the case, Democrats have a shot in any of them. Now, if you're going to rank them, I think Peltola is an unusually good candidate. Alaska has kind of unusual population dynamics.
Speaker 6: It really doesn't have a huge white blue collar population.
Speaker 4: So I think Alaska is the strongest by conventional measures. You'd have to say Ohio is the second. I mean, you know, Ohio is a big blue collar population. It's like fifty to fifty one percent of the electorate will be whites without a college degree even in a midterm year. Now, maybe that will go down to forty nine this time. And if you look at shared Brown when he won in twenty eighteen, he won forty five percent of non college whites, penty the ex of Poe. When he lost in twenty twenty four, he won thirty five percent of them so he doesn't have to get all the way back to forty five, but he does have to get somewhere north of forty probably to win.
Speaker 6: That is possible.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know one thing we should have said before when I was talking about the Irresistible Force. Not only is Trump's overall approval rating down, it is well below where it has been among those non college whites, so like even in twenty eight so you know, he won two thirds of whites without a college degree in all three of his races. Even in twenty eighteen, again according to the Exit Pole, his approverriating among non college whites was sixty one percent. Now in every national poll it is right at fifty to fifty either and usually slightly below fifty to fifty at best fifty one forty eight something like, that's like the best. And then there have been polls where he's been as low as forty six among non college whites. If that's if he stays there till November, shared Brown can win. I mean, you can win. And people should take into account that when I say Trump is basically at fifty to fifty among non college whites nationwide, well, that includes evangelical Christians most of whom are non college whites and are heavily concentrated in the South. There aren't as many of them in Ohio. So if Trump is at fifty to fifty among non college whites nationally, he's probably going to be below fifty to fifty in Ohio, which makes it possible for Sharon Brown right now.
Speaker 1: I still and this is like what I was saying about Maine. Shared lost in a presidential turnout year where you have a greater share of non college whites coming into the electorate than you do in twenty eighteen when he won, which was, you know, a midterm year, and then you have fewer non college whites as a share, And I.
Speaker 4: Think Trump's approval will be lower today than it was in twenty eighteen in Ohio.
Speaker 6: You know, the difference is shared.
Speaker 4: It's been around the block a little, so there may be a little tread off the tire in terms of how voters are looking at him. I kind of feel like that's going to be the tipping point. I mean, if Democrats don't mess up Maine, if either Platner steps aside for someone more electable, or they kind of stabilize things and are able to just pound, do you really want to get Donald Trump another vote to put another Brett Kavanaugh on the Supreme Court, which seems to me their best argument. Then you look at Ohio and I'm sorry Iowa and Texas. Iowa is Ohio, but even tougher because in Ohio roughly twenty percent of the voters are non white, and Ohio and in Iowa it's only like eight or nine. College whites are more like fifty six fifty seven percent of the vote in Iowa compared to like fifty fifty.
Speaker 6: One in Ohio.
Speaker 4: And more of those non college whites in Iowa are Evangelical Christians than they are in ohi So, like, by every measure, I can't see Turrek winning before Brown wins. Like, if Turrek wins, the wave is big enough that Brown is going to win. Texas is intriguing, right, I mean, you know, if you if you look at again, like I love how you started with twenty eighteen, Beto is in twenty eighteen versus Ted Cruz. Betto a Rourke is kind of the template for any kind of competitive state wide race for Democrats in Texas. Since then, the state has added three and a half million I think is the number of new voters, and almost all of them are people of color. It's like ninety percent of the new voters. And they're Metro, right, I mean they're they're like they're in those four big metros. Beta won the four big metros, didn't win them by quite enough. Now, So you know, Richard Murray, who I love, professor Emeritith at the University of Houston, been new in Texas politics since, you know, before any.
Speaker 6: Either of us. He says that if all the groups, all the major groups.
Speaker 4: In the electorate, non college whites, college whites, Latino's, black Asian all vote the same way they did in twenty eighteen, but vote in the numbers they are present at today, Beto would win, right. So but the problem is the problem is, can you really get back to where Beto was among Latino voters, which was the low sixties. You're probably you're going to Trump. Trump won Texas Latinos and twenty twenty four just kind of remarkably one like probably fifty five percent of them. That's not going to happen. Tell Rico is going to win them. But is he going to get back over sixty? You know, I mean, there's another poll out yesterday that Siena pol only had him at like fifty two.
Speaker 6: I don't think it's going to be that low. But is he going to get back to sixty?
Speaker 4: I kind of feel like the ballgame in Tech Texas and in Texas, you know, a very large share of the non college whites or evangelicals.
Speaker 6: The fact that tall Rico.
Speaker 4: You know, is a seminary and is not really going to help because he's a different kind of seminary.
Speaker 6: And I mean the the you know.
Speaker 4: Texas blue collar evangelicals do not want to hear that God is non binary, although it seems like as a you know, it seems like a perfectly defensible argument. I think the key is going to be, can you get a few points more out of the suburban college educated voters around Dallas, Houston, Austin, and San Antonio. Beto got like forty four or forty five percent of college whites in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 6: Can he can tell Rico push that up to forty seven forty eight against Paxton?
Speaker 4: You know? The other the other dynamic about Paxton is I mean, I forget which ones you probably might remember, but out of Slotkin, Rosen, Baldwin, and.
Speaker 6: Diego.
Speaker 4: The four Democrats who won in states were Biden lost, several of them did not get more votes than Harris right, it was just Republicans skipped the Senate race, and that you know, it's hard to see a lot of Texas Republicans voting for pall Rico.
Speaker 6: It's not hard to see a.
Speaker 4: Few of them voting for Abbot and skipping Paston or skipping Paxton coming down to Abbot.
Speaker 1: You can squint and see how this works. Where like some of them leave the Senate race blank, he gets up, he bumps up his numbers in the suburbs by a little few more after it than Ben Beto did. And then he gets that Latino number maybe, if not all the way at sixty in the Yeah, fifty eight, and then that's enough.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: By the way, as people point out all the time, if they are a larger share of the vote than they weren't twenty eighteen Latinos, you can get a bigger net vote out of that community even with a smaller share. You don't have to match the share, but matching the share would help. I don't think that's going to happen. I don't think Democrats can get back to sixty two, sixty three maybe among Texas. I was down in South Texas a few weeks ago, and you know, there's a lot of economic discontent, there's a lot of ice discontent, and I think, you know, my CNN column for later this week, tomorrow's news today, I think subtraction is going to be a bigger issue in this election than addition. I don't think you're going to add a lot of new Democratic votes.
Speaker 6: Either with new voters.
Speaker 4: Coming out or with Republicans who voted for Trump in twenty four switching to vote for Democrats. But you could subtract a lot of Republican votes. I mean Trump's according to one of the stats I'm I'm kind of unveiling in this column later this week, among Hispanics who voted for Trump, his approval writing now is sixty six percent. Right, that is not so good among all I remember all of the focus on the non college non wide voters and how this was kind of the you know, the the augurs of the of the realignment. His approval writing among non college non whites who voted for him is sixty eight percent. Among non college non whites who didn't vote in twenty four his approval rating is twenty percent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw that in the New York Times cenopol It was those numbers were the worst.
Speaker 4: Yeah, among non voters in the New York Times CNPOL among non voters in twenty four people who either skipped it or who have become eligible. Since he's a twenty one seventy one in job approval, so you know, I'm not sure you know this is twenty eighteen. Was another thing that was unique about twenty eighteen is you did have this enormous surge of new voters. Catalyst says thirteen percent of all the voters in twenty eighteen had not voted before. Census says turnout in twenty eighteen was ten points higher than in either of the Obama midterms. It was fifty percent as opposed to forty percent in the Obama interms. So there was this surge of new voters. That's where I think the Biden experience is going to really hurt. I mean, because you know, if you were you were a twenty one year old in twenty eighteen, you had Obama as your counterpoint to Trump, and it was like, yeah, we passed universal health care, or we did this or we did that, Now you got Biden, and you know whatever, rightly or wrongly, most Americans think that was not a successful presidency. So at a point where young people in particular are very negative on Trump, are also pretty negative on what they remember out of Biden, I don't see that big surge that Democrats had in twenty eighteen repeating itself.
Speaker 6: What I do think is a.
Speaker 4: Very clear and present danger to Republicans is that the voters in their coalition who are disappointed with Trump, some of them are going to switch to voting for Democrats. But I don't think even many Democrats are expecting too many of them. Like you know, only six percent of voters in twenty two, according to Pew, voted for a House candidate from the party opposite that they voted for president in twenty It's not that big anymore. The real swing voters are the people who cycle in and out of the electorate and they express their discontent by staying home. And I think that is a real risk for Publicans everywhere. But Texas is a very good place where you could have a lot. I could see a lot of those Latino first time Trump voters in South Texas, just like.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, sitting out now. All right, Well we'll leave it there, all right, thank you for thank you for joining and making us smarter. And everyone check out runs column at CNN. And you know you've got to call him at Bloomberg as well, so you're all a.
Speaker 6: Little bit a little bit about brain Plattner at Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's great, take it. It'll be great. So everyone take a look at that, and thanks again for coming by. Uh, we'll do it again before we get closer to November.
Speaker 6: Absolutely good to be with John.
Speaker 1: That's our show for today, Alex. Lovely as always to do the pod with.
Speaker 2: You in a row man, I know, but I gotta say this shows a lot of work. Dan Feiffer needs to get his butt back into the chair. Huh.
Speaker 1: This is like the longest Dand's been away from politics. I wonder for you somewhere, just like getting the shape or hives or something.
Speaker 2: Dan, Dan, send up two flares and you can still hear us. We love you, Dan, We miss you, Dan. Thank you for letting me warm the mic.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you for warming the mic. You have been an.
Speaker 2: Honor and a pleasure, my friend, to help us navigate these choppy insane waters of our American democracy.
Speaker 1: Have a good weekend. Everyone love it. We'll be back with an episode of Podsave America Sunday. He's talking to David Sedaris.
Speaker 2: How about that Nixon five?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, and then Tommy Love and I will be back with a new show on Tuesday. Bye everyone, Nixon five. Podsave America is a Crooked Media production. Our show is produced by Austin Fisher, Saul Ruben, McKenna Roberts, and Faris Safari, with Ree Jerlin, Elijah Cone and Adrian Hill. Our team includes Matt de Grote, Ben Hefcot, Jordan Kant, Charlotte Landis Krol pel Avive, David Toles, Mia Kelman, Ryan Young, and Naomi Single. Our staff is probably unionized with the Writers Guild of America East