Speaker 1: What is up, fellow Sikos, I am Dan Valley coming at you with the one, the only, this certified, fantabulous mister Grant Hugh's rbnox has gathered you round today to talk about NBA Free agency, which the free agency itself has been Do you hear that playing in the background? There's something in my ear? Grant, I just paused it. Okay, good, there's some lady was talking in my ear. There must be an ad or something. But got it. We're good. We're good.
Speaker 2: From inside the house.
Speaker 1: We're here to talk about NBA Free agency, the free agency of which has been pretty boring. It's been four hours, over four hours legally since news has been allowed to trickle out. Too much of this stuff happened beforehand, apparently. But luckily we've got two mega transactions to talk about and a bunch of other stuff that's just sort of billing in the wind. Maybe we'll get some live news and Choms will take like eight hundred words to report exactly two syllables worth of updates. But Grant, how are you on this free agency extravaganza day?
Speaker 2: Well, my agent Mark Bartle, scene and so and so who I can't remember has I was going to try to replicate that Sham's tweet without looking at it for the verbiage. I'm happy to be here, happy to punch up. Schams has made it. He's highly successful, so it's cool for us to make fun of him and his his water carrying tweets. So I'm feeling good. I'm curious if of the two blockbuster moves you wanted to start with Luke canardor Keon Ellis, which one really strikes your fancy the most?
Speaker 1: Well, actually I wanted to start here. DeAndre Jordan. Did you have that feet up? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Pretty good.
Speaker 1: I Oh look, we got some Zach Collins breaking news too. I'm just gonna shot these out of the Zach Collins getting two year, seventeen million dollar contract from the Bulls. No word yet if that includes a mutual does yeah?
Speaker 2: Does it include a technically illegal mutual option that can spur a conversation about a new trade upon being opted into but not out of? See now I remember all the stupid wording.
Speaker 1: My brain hurts for.
Speaker 2: People that don't. If you're listening to this, you've probably you're a pretty online bunch, you guys out there, So like you've seen the cham's tweets about Kean Ellis's deal, and before that one, what was the ridiculous Oh was the Andrew Wiggins one that was like inscrutable that he couldn't parse. There's no such thing as a mutual option. So when you see that, we've concluded that most likely what that is is a player option on the final year of a contract that is partially guaranteed. And for an example of that, that's kind of the James Harden situation with the Cavs where he had a player option for forty two point whatever, but thirteen of that was guaranteed. So that's the closest thing you get to a mutual option, right, Like, that's just so we all understand what we're talking about.
Speaker 1: And unless teams were allowed to invent new clauses in the CBA and maybe there's mutual options now.
Speaker 2: Cool, Hey, that's fun.
Speaker 1: I guess another thing we need to keep track of now. Yeah, but I did want to say a note since we have the chi on I want I hope the people that are just coming in it or saying like, what the hell's got why is DeAndre Jordan up on the right now? But I gotta give it up for DeAndre Jordan. He's always like the first name off the board once free agency goes live. That dude is in demand for his locker room gennes a Quah and just.
Speaker 2: As someone who I put a huge premium on, like knowing my schedule for the week and beyond that, I said, I just want to Hey, maybe DeAndre Jordan just doesn't just wants to get it done, wants to know what his next year is going to look like and would like to move on and not hassle with it. So we just now he doesn't have to worry. He's got that money coming, he knows where he's gonna be, and uh, he can just have his off season. It's good for him.
Speaker 1: So where did you want to begin you want to talk about?
Speaker 2: We probably better go Kauhi who you know the job? He's something? Well is this guy you couldn't quit Toronto? Toronto couldn't quit him.
Speaker 1: Uh, this is the Thados meme, right, you couldn't live with the weight of your own failure in La Where's it brought you back to us?
Speaker 2: Wow, there's a lot of good Thanos memes that have circulated in the NBA community. So Let's see, I don't want to get the terms up here correct before.
Speaker 1: Let me Oh, so I do have it in the doc that I shared John, so I can I can take us through. It's sorry I should let you know that, but the.
Speaker 2: Track shares me on that I didn't open yet.
Speaker 1: You're welcome. So it's the Clipper. The Raptors are trading brandon Ingram Grady Dick a twenty twenty seven first round swap, a twenty thirty one first round pick and a twenty thirty three first round pick, as well as a twenty thirty second round pick and a twenty thirty three second round pick to the La Clippers for Kawhi Leonard. The one thing I want to note here is I know people have said that the swap is basically going to be worthless because Toronto will be better than the Clippers. The OKAC has swap rights with the Clippers next years. Unless you think the Raptors are going to be better than the Thunder, that swap is actually probably going to be exercised, and so I think that is an important element of this deal, as is the fact that the Lake the Lakers, excuse me, the Clippers prioritized the Clippers prioritize the distant first round picks rather than well, the Raptors are probably gonna be pretty darn good in twenty twenty seven. There's a swap there obviously, but also the twenty twenty nine So getting the out years for an age thirty five? Kuhi Leonard? Who wants an extension? It seems like and as els, what is it? Two years one twenty plus? Right? I think I have my notes? Yep, what are your just what were your one before we get into the like the elements of this deal, the impact on the court, what they gave up. This is really fucking cool that he just wanted to go back to Toronto. Yeah, like that's just that's awesome.
Speaker 2: I love it and and surprising, like well, I guess it was really you know, the Raptors and the Spurs. I guess we're the two teams. Which is kind of a funny thing too. It's like, well, he just wants to go somewhere where he knows where the restaurants are or whatever. He's comfortable.
Speaker 1: Uh, he just wants to go where somebody knows his name.
Speaker 2: Somebody knows his name.
Speaker 1: How many film and TV references can be made throughout this spot. We're often we're off three clips, great.
Speaker 2: Clips so far. I well, I think let's let's break it up a little bit. Let's talk the Toronto side of it. You preciently called this the why not Us era of the NBA, and this is a very much this is very much a whine not us move. It comes with play a risk. We can talk about those. I think like, as you're assessing how good this Raptor's team is and where it slots in the East, you don't get to just dismiss all of the reservations we've had about every Clippers team. Kawhi has been on this whole time, basically since he became known for having injuries and missing games. That all still applies. I'd like the questions about can he make it through a full regular season in playoffs are all still there, If not like amplified because he's thirty five, but adding him to this team and getting rid of brandon Ingram, who is not a helpful postseason player, and a bunch of draft capital, it definitely elevates the Raptors. I don't know. I can't sit here and say they're clearly better than the Knicks or the or the celt or whoever else you want to toss in there. But they're definitely improved, and maybe that's all it takes in the East and in the league right now. I do think there's a great case that like they're they're in a conversation they weren't in before, which which is like kind of all you want right now. I think like, it's hard to do a whole lot better than that. There aren't a lot of super teams being constructed these days, so this is this is kind of the best you can do. Do you do you agree with that? Like or do you think, oh, this is a favorite?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Are we just kind of like, well, the Raptors are involved in the conversation.
Speaker 1: There, I mean, the offseason is still so unsettled. But the idea of him going to a top five defense, where I know that they their offense improved last year and I think it was top ten and a half court it just that wasn't we saw in the playoffs. It wasn't a top ten, no half court type offense. But you're surrounding him with the level of defensive talent already in place. Brendan Ingram and Grady Dick. I would say, we're not active participants in informing that defense brand Ingram operated within it, but he was still someone that you needed to game plan around. Kawi is the opposite is Okay, you have Scotty, you have CMB of Jamal shed the Kawhi. Leonard's job gets easier, but it can still be harder than brandon Ingram's was. And you're going to be great. I think what this does, it's tough to say because we don't know what Detroit is gonna do. They just seem like a mess, but it's their situation is fluid. They're not a mess, but it's right now. The biggest thing they've done is they have Isaiah Joe and they resigned Kevin Herder and the Jayleen dur and stuff's getting awkward. I think it's easy in the moment to sit here, look at what's happening in Detroit, look at the unease in Boston, what's gonna happen with Jalen Brown, and say, you know what, the Raptors are just the second best team in the East. I think that's a stinctive possibility. But we'll be getting ahead of our skis a little bit here. And I think the biggest thing of what you said is Kawhi Leonard's health. We don't know if he's gonna like if he's if he plays in fewer games than it takes to qualify for all NBA. And I'm talking about you know, if it's sixty three or sixty whatever. Okay, great, you're you're gonna have questions. What Bowden's really well for this team is not just the youth, like they're really young around him, and so that's going to just even when he's playing and they're playing fast, it should make him, it should make his life easier. The other thing here, though, is Kawhi Leonard has kind of proven to me that his is now a game that might age gracefully. On the offensive end, he took a ton of threes last year. He took over four unassisted three point attempts per game last year, and he shot them at like a thirty seven thirty eight percent clip. The Raptors did like Brandon Ingram wasn't doing that even if he gave you the three point volume. Scottie Barnes can't do that. That's not even really a manual. Quickly's game to have that now within this offense as a not as a crutch, but as an option. But then it's also well, Kawhi is now used to spacing the floor, so he's gonna get up threes in higher volume. I think it makes it easier for him to deemphasize him in the offense or at least as he ages, or at least come up with a plan to wear our offense might not look so different. It will look different, but when Kuhi is not playing like he's settled into a different type of roles where it's not just Kawhi is the hub and he's are all everything. They don't need that this time around for him. So that's why I find it intriguing and also why I think you can justify like this is a real outlay, Like we're talking about age thirty five, Kuhi Leanderders about to get a new deal.
Speaker 2: That's the next question, really, and you have to view you have to try to answer it in some pretty important context, which is Kawhi basically said, this is the only place that I'm going to extend right, so like Toronto knew that, and it still costs like a no joke package of draft capital to get this done. I do think, I mean, I'm lower on Ingram than probably almost everybody, but like.
Speaker 1: Well, who are you lower on brandon Ingram or Lamela Ball? The people will come on.
Speaker 2: Man way lower on Ingram. So like maybe part of this is, like I guess, like you have to include the two real firsts and the swap because you're also getting like the Clippers probably don't want Ingram, Like I don't think it's it's likely maybe they'll surprise us that la can turn around and turn and flip Ingram for like significantly positive value, maybe moderately positive value. But everybody hated that extension once he signed it, right, Like I just I don't know. Maybe I'm not listening to the pro brandon Ingram section of the populace, but this is a lot to give up for someone who steered himself to you and kind of shut off, you know, other teams which shrunk the market limited leverage. So it's it is a lot, and I I just think, like I think, as we sit here now, I view the risk as worth it, but it is a risk, like it's an it's a massive risk. The dude's thirty five, I think he gives Toronto someplace to go with the ball in the postseason games they want to win, and probably more broadly, the very real ability to have the best player on the floor for a given series, regardless of who they play, like Kawhi can be that good like we have. We've seen it plenty of times. Like I'm not just talking finals MVPs, but like last year, there were streaches where like, this guy's a first team All NBA player, like full stop, he just I.
Speaker 1: Had him on my first team he was.
Speaker 2: I would be I would be shocked if he when he plays, I would be shocked if he's not just no brainer all NBA caliber producer. How much is he gonna play?
Speaker 1: That's just you.
Speaker 2: You don't get to pretend like that's not an issue because he changed teams, like that's been the issue for five of the seven years or four of the seven that he was in LA. Uh So that's all to say, hugely risky. I think this is a reasonable package. If, if anything, it's a little too much from from Toronto, I would say, what do you what do you think?
Speaker 1: You're probably right, but I wonder how much of what's factoring it is they're just familiarity with how Kawhi likes to operate and knowing that he'll be open to his workload being managed because it's he's coming to a different situation than he was in the Clippers even last year. I mean James Harden was there for part of the season, but shape going into this year and towards the end of last year like he was very much everything. And so you now juxtapose that against not just the Raptors, is I would say you have more on ball options in general when you're looking at Scotty Barnes or Manual Quickly and r J. Barrett. But just look at what Scotty did in the playoffs because he was His on ball share increased a excuse me, decreased a ton last season, which was good. I think like that made it easier on Barrett, on Ingram, on the minutes he played with Quickly. That being said, now if you're ready to scale him up like does I don't know how much of Kawhi's health can be related to his actual workload versus is this just a degenerative condition he's getting older. That's the risk. I it probably is. Push comes to shove. It's probably a hair too much I mean Brandon Ingram had returned to quote unquote all star level, and I think even he was banged up in the playoffs, and they were just asking him to do something that he shouldn't be tasked with doing. When you're looking at the like the defensive attention he would draw, or just the role you wanted him to play. Kawhi Leonard can do that. And I think in a vacuum, what you gave up, including Ingram, is worth what you're getting, even when factoring in the age and extension. But we're kind of circling the drain on well, how many games you're getting it for. I actually don't think it matters as long as he's available for the playoffs. And so this is this situation where he needs to play fifty games in the regular season next year, then so be it. I think the Raptors have enough that they're young enough that they could navigate it. So it's it's a lot, it's a and now you I'm assuming they're gonna extend him, right like, that's that's got to be part.
Speaker 2: Of the Yeah, I'm pricing that in and that and you know, I don't know how much is going to change. I guess just the natural decline of age will make maybe those out years a little if here. But yeah, whatever, that's just that was part of it. I don't have a huge issue with it. What about the Clippers side of this, because if we're sitting here both saying like maybe Toronto gave up a little too much.
Speaker 1: As if you had any concerns about the Kawhi fit, do you think that this is just hand in glove.
Speaker 2: He's the type of player that there's no such thing as a fit issue with him. He because he does everything well. Like he's a great off ball scorer. He's a great on ball scorer. He's a great playoff scorer because he can make difficult shots. He can guard who you need him to guard. He can guard, he can play bigger players. You're probably not gonna put him on a point guard, but like the Raptors are very well equipped to handle point Shed's a great defender. They can you know, Scottie Barnes can guard anybody. I don't see a fit issue whatsoever. No, I don't.
Speaker 1: I'm curious to see just how the offensive usage is distributed, because I think the biggest adjustment, probably aside from Kawhi this probably has the biggest like emmanual quickly and RJ. Barrett will have to adapt the most. At the same time, Brandon Ingram was just there this season, so you even if Kauhi takes up more total usage, when you're looking at him as a playmaker, I probably agree with you there. You did say something though that I didn't really think of. And we've talked about a lot in other trades. Part of the premium you're paying here is you didn't need to give up any of your premier prospects. Jakobe Walter is still here, Jamal shed is still there. Of CMB, most notably is still there for sure, And so that ends up being Alan Graves. You didn't have to include him or you just drafted so and I'm the other thing that I am curious. We've seen Kaui play on faster iterations of the Clippers before, even though he wasn't the driving force of it. I want to see if that changes with Toronto at all, Like does that impact them getting up and down the floor. But that's probably If anything, it probably just adds variability to the cadence at which they could play, because when you're in transition, previously as Toronto. It felt almost as if, well, that's so we don't have to operate in the half court and now you don't have to view it as that type of a proposition.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think too, like the guys that really affect your pace, like a Luca, for example, who wants to bring the ball up and does it slowly every time. That's not Kauwhi. So the Raptors can very much just keep running sort of around him because he's not the one that like is gonna get it over at seventeen seconds and then you know, get you into something. And like he's not eating up the clock, dribbling the ball or like walking it up like that. That's just so I think he's not going to be like run sprinting the wings every possession. You know, they're not going to be rushing the ball over half court at twenty two and he's out there ahead of the pack. But like everybody else that can is young and athletic will be like that, I don't think. I don't think he's the type of addition that meaningfully affects your pace and in this case specifically slows it down like what he does. It's in the only sense in which he slows things down on offense is the one in which, like, oh shit, there's six seconds left on the clock. We didn't get anything done. Let's throw it to him in an ISO from seventeen feet and like he'll get us a way better shot, like in a deliberate fashion than we would have gotten otherwise, Like, which is a value add to me. So I yeah, I I'm sure there's like there's always gonna be some growing pains, but like, I just think he's the type of player, like he's the ultimate version of the scalable the like fun fungibles a pejorative, but like a he's portable. He's the ultimate portable player. Wherever you put him, there's no it's impossible to have someone that's like, well, this is a bad fit just because he does everything well.
Speaker 1: And the final thing, I hope we get to see lots of just the barn cmb Kawhi front court. I know that you don't really necessarily have like a true five there. And that's by the way, yaka pertl if he's healthy, great, but with Mamu probably leaving you, that's gonna have to be like that. I think that's the biggest need that they're gonna have at this point, we need a different type of big in here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you will see those three on the court closing every game that Toronto wants to win.
Speaker 1: Like that that you'll sleep plenty.
Speaker 2: Right like that. That will be your closing front cord. And it's nasty, it's really good.
Speaker 1: What is up, fellasickos? You're listening to this episode right now thinking wow, would be so cool if there were no ads on it.
Speaker 2: We have the power to make this the last ad you ever hear. And that's not a threat, it's more of a promise. The best way to support the podcast is to join our Patreon, which you can do at patreon dot com. Slash Hardwood Knocks NBA tons of perks there. In addition to the promise of and not threat. Can't emphasize that enough of no more ads, which is a huge bonus. We're going to do a couple of Patreon subscriber only pods every month. You get access to our discord. You just get to be a bigger part of this community. You get our sincerest appreciation, which really can you put a price on it? If you want to support the pod. That is the best way to do it. Thank you again as always for listening and for watching.
Speaker 1: And now back to the show. Up. What are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Well, you have to say they did well here. If we think that Toronto gave up like a touch.
Speaker 1: You say it's a nice piece of business. That's what I would call.
Speaker 2: I would call it a solid little piece of business. If you're not going to extend them, which they weren't, which is why this all started. Then they did well dealing with what turned out to be a market of one. I guess if if Toronto was really the only team that Kawhi wanted to go to, I don't care for.
Speaker 1: When there was breaking news, could we just love it if you would? Dean Wade, Ladies and gentlemen, four years, thirty nine million dollars with the Philadelphia seventy six ers. We're still waiting to see if there's any mutual options included. That's gonna have to be the new thing. They they non taxed. That's like, that's not the taxpayers MLA.
Speaker 2: Wow, I thought I saw the other like, well yesterday, maybe someone was speculating he might just get the full mid level over four years, just like the four for sixty four or something like that.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, so he didn't get that.
Speaker 2: No, that wouldn't be too that'd be too whatever. The full mid level would have graded out over four years.
Speaker 1: What are you? What do you? How do you feel about Dean Wade in Philly? That's like, defensively, sure does he take enough? Like I'm assuming Quentin Grinds and Kelly Bridge Unior are both kind of gone now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a pretty good value. I could just imagine, though, a playoff series where it's like, he's taken one shot in eighty seven postseason minutes so far, and everybody's gonna be upset about it. That's just that's these one of the lowest usage players of the modern era. Just like not an exaggeration, but good defender. And if he just shoots every three he has that he's open. I think that's a good get, is not? You know, anything below the mid level for a guy that you could start a playoff game with is pretty good.
Speaker 1: Is it? I just feel I'm not going to predict this. I just feel as if we said a lot of the same things when they went and got Caleb Martin for a similar price point, and look at how that turned out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, well there's always a possibility. I mean, yeah, well the downsides are well understood. Wade just kind of is invisible a lot of the time, and and but you're not paying them. I think that's that's reasonable. Yeah, I don't have a lot else to say about that. That seems like I think it should.
Speaker 1: They could be well. I guess it depends on how available Joelle and Pete is. But between him Edgecomb and even the way that Paul George played this year, they have Dominic Barlow there. They do have some now rangy defensive guys which will be good. So I think the price point is fine. I'm just you're Kelly R. Junior wasn't the best shooter Quentin Grimes and theory was volume. Maybe they're hoping le Baron Filon is gonna be able to give them real minutes. I'm I don't know what this offense is good, Like, it's just all Tyre's Max and VJ. Edge Combe need to go kaboom.
Speaker 2: I guess is what if it was like they still got some dude that want a m v P one time, and they still got some dude that I forget his name. Uh yeah, let's let's get back to the Clippers here.
Speaker 1: Because you're fine, are they just yelling and interjecting whenever it's yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I don't have I don't have blue Sky open, so all right, it's not it's not auto updating. So yeah, I think I think if we agree that the Raptors gave up like a little too much maybe for for the risk they're taking on, you have to say the Clippers did well here. Uh it I think, what do they have like nine surplus draft picks first rounders now or something.
Speaker 1: Like that, so they're well, I think I think they'll be down to two after that investigation.
Speaker 2: Right, there was a point at which they had a huge surplus of draft picks. Yeah, that that might go away. But uh, this leaves them with Darius Garland, uh, brandon Ingram and like not a lot else like Derek Jones. I guess Chris Dunn has got his deal. Geared Cpez still there, Lopez is there, He's back. Yeah. I I I will be curious to see if they view Ingram as someone that they just want to keep or to flip and if that's and what that might return them, because then you get to view it as like, well, they traded Kawhi for all this plus whatever they got for brandon Ingram, which might make this look better or worse. I don't. I don't really got to have a good sense of Ingram's value on the market.
Speaker 1: Well, I was gonna ask, don't you think wasn't he kind of treated as nothing more than net neutral in this when you look at what else Toronto gave up? Or no? Can you argue that? Can you say he wasn't? Can you definitively say the two years and eighty million left on his contract weren't treated as a net negative?
Speaker 2: Ye? I can't definitively say that. Maybe the swap, maybe the twenty seven swaps not involved if if it's if it's Barrett and like some other money that I guess the Clippers would have preferred. I don't know. No, you can't definitively say that. But yeah, I don't know where this leaves the Clippers other than to say that this is very much they've turned the page, like all the like the this previous aras over zoobots has gone, Hardens long gone, Paul George is longer gone, Coawhi is out, like this is this is just a fresher start, but you still have like a pretty high priced lead guard. So in Garland, somebody had to say it.
Speaker 1: I guess, well, I was gonna ask, because they don't control the rights to their own picks. Could it just be we have Ingram, we have some bets, we have Garland and we want to be decent, or because now you have the swap rights knowing that Toronto's not going to be better than okay, see right, do you look at I guess my main question is do you look at moving Darius Garland now or do you not think that his value is high enough for them to be traveling down that path.
Speaker 2: I think you look at moving him just because he's not someone I would I would rate as like a cornerstone piece, right, Like he's an all star type player that has some health uncertainty, so and it's not cheap, So yeah, I would look at moving him. I do think this trade and a lot of others we may discuss, are pretty indicative of what the new lottery system is incentivizing, because there's a world where they just hang the clippers, just hang on ing and they build around him in Garland and they try to win forty some games, and that's that's not a bad thing anymore if as long as you're not, you know, supplementing that with like bad contracts elsewhere. So I I I'm not that excited about the Clippers, Like this is kind of a team to me now, and they were a lot more interesting with Kawhi, even if you know, all the health issues he brought were part of that picture. But I think it's a fine return. I think it's pretty good, especially especially if we really do have to concede that, like he was only going to Toronto and there wasn't anybody else bidding the you know, moving the price up.
Speaker 1: I I think that. I guess I'm just too I know, he just had one of the best seasons of his career. I guess I'm so fixated on the age, the injury history, the fourth coming extension and if they wanted a reset and and as you mentioned, finite number of destinations he's one a sign like they got all of this. I guess all of this is it's just maybe I'm over estimating the value those first round picks, maybe is I.
Speaker 2: Mean, like this is also just the Clippers, I mean, not the trade specifically, but their unwillingness to extend Kawhi is just them saying like he's thirty five, man, Like how much like the odds? Like is the health situation going to improve going forward? Like why not move now? And just gets like what's more likely that we look back in a year and say, man, the Clippers, sure we're shrewd to get anything for Kawhi because look where he's at now and he's you know, he's banged up or whatever and not healthy. Or we look at the Raptors as like, can you believe he got them like to Game seven of the conference finals? Which is more likely?
Speaker 1: Honestly, I mean it's the former. You're right, it's the first one. With that being said, though, the contrast between the East and the West comes into play here. Then Toronto has this innerian in which Kawhi just takes them to the conference finals or better that did not exist in La as good as the Clippers. You weren't between Santa Tony on Okac specifically, but also Denver and Minnesota floating around out there. Who knows what the Lakers end up doing, So yeah, I think they probably did fine. But now that I'm thinking about it, I guess there other moves could be made, but they're Remember they were all in on this like blank slate in twenty twenty seven and now just do you have Garland, you have Ingram and that's the ninety million bucks just on your books between the two of them. So I'm interested to see they don't feel they don't feel done, because right now they feel in the middle. I don't know if that's where they're trying to be though, if they're looking to trade, actually that would have been a great segue and say they're looking to trade a guard. I hear Portland is collecting them, but I wanted to I wanted to ask you if should the Spurs have gotten involved on Kuhi? If this if you're if this was the cost?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a couple outright, first's a swap? Who's the money going out and who's the brands?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: If it's Noah, you have my attention. I think yes, I do, because I think Leonard is more likely to put them over the top than a healthy Fox. But what I would say is the more I've thought about the Spurs, the more I think that like what they it would be nice to have, be nice to have Kawhi Leonard on the Spurs, or yeah, I know, or just somebody that's an upgrade on We've talked about it forever, just like a three slash four sized person that is as good or better than Fox, just at a different position, like flipping, changing, like toggling those knobs. But the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that, like the Spurs, what they need is just like organic growth and experience and a little bit of improvement more than they need like a new guy to come in and fix them. They're not like a player away, They're like time away to me. So I would be more hesitant in one sense to make this move, because if I'm the Spurs, I can more confidently than the Raptors say we're just a little under baked, and give us some time and we'll keep all our assets and win a title, and then we'll be really well positioned. But at the same time, it's like, you're very close. It would be hard for you to be closer to winging a title than they were. Go get the piece that you think puts you over at the top. I'm receptive to that, So yeah, I would go get Kawhi if I could, but it's not the worst thing in the world that they did, and it's not like some giant missed opportunity.
Speaker 1: To me, I wouldn't have done it because I think and I don't agree, whose trade value is higher in a vacuum, Darn Fox or brandon Ingram.
Speaker 2: Ooh, Who's I would? I guess you got us? I don't know. I don't know. I just should all over brandon Ingram. Can I say brandon Ingram still just because Fox's deal is so long and.
Speaker 1: I thought you were gonna say Fox. And my guess would be that maybe people on the league say the same thing. And so if he had to be part of the matching salary, I still think he's too good and I don't view him as anything near a toxic asset to have then needed to compensate the Clippers to do that. And then if you get into Devin Vassell, Keldon Johnson permutations, now I'm just okay Kelden Johnson of it all, sure, But without Vaselle, now I'm just wondering if we fundamentally altered the team a little bit too much. I know that he's technically duplicative. If Dylan Harper is gonna make the leap and you have Fox and Steph Castle's there, but he is what the Spurs is most Who's the Spurs' most bankable shooter? Unless I'm forgetting someone, it's probably him or Wemby.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe you might be here. I I don't know what the league thinks about Fox's deal. I could imagine a world where they're just like, he's a good starter, that's not going to be an All Star again, and he makes fifty million dollars a year, Like that's you're paying us to take that on. I could imagine that, whereas Ingram is just two more years at like forty a pop. Right. I don't know, I don't. I think they're both not great great. Uh trade assets, to be honest.
Speaker 1: Jo Morant, Yeah, thirty one thirty the trade details. I hope everyone sit down. This is gonna take a while for me to get through.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: The Memphis Cruzzies traded Ja Morant to the Portland Trail Blazers for Jeremy Grant Chris Murray and that's it.
Speaker 2: Right, and and so now the Blazers, I'm just hold on, I'm just getting in my earpiece here that the Blazers are gonna give Ja Morant four years and two hundred million dollars because that's what you do when you trade just bad money for a point guard.
Speaker 1: In the spirit, in the spirit of mutual options. That extension would also be illegal.
Speaker 2: Uh ran Oh, sorry, the Wizards somehow are gonna give Jo Moran two hundred million. I don't know how that's gonna work, but you know they've got to move.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about the Grizzlies first? What did you make of them? This was to me, I viewed it as they were able to make the decision to rip off the band aid and trade John Morant for I think Jeremy Grant. I think the pendulum has swung too far on it. There's two years left. It's like seventy million bucks for someone who shoots threes, can't rebound, can still defend, create a shot a little bit, Just sign me up. They wouldn't have been able to stomach this return for John Morant, or maybe it just would have looked a lot worse if they didn't get so much for Desmond Bane and even Jaron Jackson Junior, whose return I thought could have been higher. But I think there's value even if you don't think Morant would have been a malcontent. Just hit reset and let the system develop, like Cam Boozer is there, Zach Edy is there, Cedric Coward is there, Jalen Wells is there. Like, just let just let the system develop around your core guys now independent, like the John Morant stuff has been happening. I would say, in ernest for a year, right, just get escape from from like the specter of that speculation. So I'm fine with the return. I don't think, oh what if Chris Murray shoots the league average three and he still defends. But I think it's just you needed to do this so that you could move on, and so I'm on board with what they old. I honestly think this is the type of trade. I know. I just poop pooed all over the LaMelo return, but he was the driving force of a team that was so good last year. John Morant has played in less than one season's worth of games over the past three years. Yeah, I think that this is one of those trades. No, it wouldn't get you. I think if John Morant goes off in Portland, maybe could it get Zach Climban fired? I doubt it, but I think that this is a tough when you look at how much he meant to that city. He was the last kind of remaining remnant of an era that was supposed to last longer, be better. I think it takes some guts. Maybe it was easier with Cam Boozer coming in the door Shore, but I think it does take a level of guts to say we're not gonna try and rehabilitate his value. We're kind of just accepting this and we're gonna move on.
Speaker 2: It was never gonna happen with John Morant in Memphis ever. Again, it was done like that. It just too much had gone on on the court, off the court, vibes wise, you name it like, it was just over and so if John Morant does return to form in Portland, which I think is highly unlikely for a number of reasons, but if he does, it's not impossible. If he does, I don't think you get to look back and judge the Grizzlies for what they got or for trading him, because it was not going to happen. Meant like it was over right, So it's not you don't get to say, well, look what would have happened like look how good he would have been again had he stayed with the Grizzlies. It's just it's not reality. I think this is a win because Memphis was able to do this without giving up an asset, and for a very long time that was the expectation, right, that was like the Windhorse quote from however many months ago, if like he's viewed as a negative asset, that the that the Grizzlies will have to attach a pick to to move. Jeremy Grant's contract is not good, but it's not like this month's. You know, remember like a couple of years ago where where we were having the conversation of like gosh, all the bad contracts are kind of gone away, like who's the worst, and you kind of have to point to Jeremy Grant as like, I guess this counts now, but you said it. It's two years in like seventy million, like thirty five a year for a forward that is like still pretty decent at a lot of stuff. That's fine, Like that's the cost of getting off of Morant, which is to me, way better than giving up a pick, especially if you're Memphis and you're starting over, like you want you want to hold onto those. So this makes no sense to me from Portland's perspective, like roster wise, but I'm fine with it on the grizzly side.
Speaker 1: I did trade grades over a bleacher report for this. I got slammed for giving the Blazers a D. I think this is the value proposition in a vacuum. Jeremy Grant and Chris Murray for the idea of John Morant is fine. I think you stand to just do more damage to your ecosystem, not because of any off court issues Jahn Morant might have or his personality. I would imagine even if that is an issue, which we don't know that it would be, having Damian Lillard in the thing is just the panacea for that. This makes zero sense from a basketball perspective. Yeah, because now the plan is to start Damian Lillard and John Morant. Per reporting, that is probably the most flammable backcourt defensively in the NBA. Immediately Damian Lillard coming off in achilles injury and John Morant. You're also now what you're doing is Damian Lillard could play off the ball. We know it, We've seen it, will probably see more. I would assume more of it in Portland. You looked at Denny Avdia's year where he was fringe all NBA and your offense the driving force was his drives and decided we're gonna put someone alongside him who makes no sense because they need the ball in his hands. John can't shoot.
Speaker 2: Is an objectively awful shooter.
Speaker 1: He's he's he has only once in his career rated as an above average catch and shoot shot maker. Yeah once he doesn't And people talk about, well he might be able to cut. He's never cut frequently enough for it to map for him to provide off ball value. The other thing grant is that his rim pressure and free throw attempt rate have both basically been in steady declines in two thousand and two, which is a harbinger to me of we're not necessarily waiting on the athletic decline of John Moran. It's happening, or has already happened. So what value is he doesn't defend? Isn't going to get to the basket At the same you also, do you have enough shooting around him for to do that? Isn't going to help you. I already said that defensively. And if he doesn't do, what he's supposed to do well. Are you banking on him turning into this great shooteries? He can be a really prolific passer, but even that a lot of it was predicated on the stuff he could do with the ball, getting by guys, wreaking havoc in the paint, and the other the trickle down effect of not just Denny Avdia, what is that you've inherently, even if you don't want them around, you have now made Shade and Sharp and Scoot Henderson specifically less valuable to you and around the league if you were looking to move them. I don't know what the plan are they gonna play five guards at once. They want to keep Drew Holliday because he's a probably a power forward now on this team. I don't defensively, I understand it's easy to look on paper and say Jeremy Grant and Chris Murray for John Morant. Okay, cool? Like what did you just do? Get Steve Francis and Stephan Marbury circa New York? How that Panna Damian like with a better leader because of Damian Lillard? I just you look, I see it in the chat bought low on Moran okay, but just because you can buy low doesn't mean you should. And this is if this works out well for the Blazers, everybody bookmark this the receipts. You could aggregate it later. This is gonna be a disaster. This is going to be an on court disaster. I don't think. I'm not talking about off court stuff. I don't see the functional fit whatsoever. And I think for even it to squint and make it work, you gotta start trading multiple bodies, as Scoot doesn't make sense on this team. Shade and Sharp no longer makes sense on this And if you, by the way, if they try to play Shade and Sharp Damian Lower and joh Moran together at any point, my god, they did. I have to know it before I throw it back to you. They also did get a million bucks in cash from Memphis, and that should cover Mike and Norre's Mike and Norri's salary for nexton.
Speaker 2: That was That's what this is all about the whole time.
Speaker 1: That's Tom Dundan didn't want to pay Mike and Norrey out of pockets. How he traded for John Morant.
Speaker 2: I think the only the only way this this to me, I guess defensible, Like I I agree with everything you said about just the on court fit, and like what this does to the roster is just why Like I just don't, I don't get it. The only way you can justify this is I think it's just as an as a pure asset move. I think Morant rehabilitated, healthy, maybe sort of slowing the decline or reversing it is value is a valuable player, like not someone you should be able to get for Jeremy Grant and Chris Murray like that, just you know, there's there's a there is a scenario where he is an All Star. Again, I don't think it's going to happen, but just I just it compromises so much about what you what the Blazers had been trying to do, both like both in terms of like they brought Lillard back like for vibes and like, oh god, this feels great, Like he's gonna he's gonna be the adult in the room and right, the defense is gonna suck. No, note there's that's the only dead certainty. And what they did more recently with like uncovering Ovdia as a fringe All NBA guy who needs the ball, like this gets in the way of that, This gets in the way of scoots development, this gets in the way of Sharp's development. Like I just I don't I don't understand any aspect of this except that, yes, I you have to concede that someone who is Jahn Morant's age that has done what he's done should not be gettable for Jeremy Grant and Chris Murray. So you just do that and you hope everything else just sort of sorts itself out, like may you know, like maybe okay, if Scoots any good, we'll prove it. Man, Like, now it's gonna be tough. You've had a couple of years where we sort of put things on a t for you and you didn't really seize the moment. Shade and Sharp prove it, and if you don't, maybe we move you. Like I I guess that's just like, if you want to be really harsh about it, that could be the Blazer's intention is just let's let these guys compete in camp, and the rotation will be what it is, and somebody's gonna be on several somebodies will be unhappy. But I just I just think that all the downsides you outlined, are just they're so pronounced like, I just I don't know the d the upside, let's talk about that. The upside here is is what like Geomran, it's really great and he's still in the way of Ovidia and still can't shoot and still can't defend, And I just I don't know. This is one of those ones where I feel so strongly about it that I'm looking for any explanation to to sort of soften what, you know, my opinion on how bad of a move it is? Yeah, weird, how weird and ill fitting it seems.
Speaker 1: Right, weird weird nail fitting is the perfect way to describe it. And Baale trans sixteen says when the Grizzlies got a new coach from Rant was used differently. Are we referring to when he was pouting about being.
Speaker 2: Of the two coaches that he got fired or you're referring to.
Speaker 1: Right, that's the that's wry. And I so I'm open to the idea that a change of scenery. I don't think John Morant is gonna come in here thinking it's his team. Denny Afia is their best player right now, and this is Damian. It's not Damian Liller's team. It's his freaking city organization. Yeah, it's his organization. Well, we'll have to check with Tom Dundan on that one. Who knows. So I the other thing that you've done now too, You've made it harder to renegotiate and extend Denniafia next year because you took on I think like eight million bucks in money for twenty seven twenty eight. And now you and I I think we share the same thoughts on renegotiates and extend and so just build up goodwill with the player and pay them. I'm not like typically in favor. Now you've just taken to take that option off the table is wild to me. I do like in theory and this will get into another move. So rob Williams three years and forty four million, if jaw is jaw, he is a very interesting partner for John Moran in transition out of the pick and roll. He could decision making the middle of the floor in the way that in ways that Donovan Clington can't. And actually one of my worries now is like are they gonna be in this weird? Is there a chance like Robert Williams the third makes more sense for this roster than Donovan Klingon. Now, who donovd Klingon is the superior player. But when you're looking at the personnel, I mean, there might.
Speaker 2: Be situations where you want what you're talking about offensively from Williams. But I would assume Clingon will improve again. Uh, and you know, on balance, No, I don't. I don't think so. It is the you're you're highlighting an issue, like the Blazers have a lot of good and or interesting and or promising players tomorrow, Like.
Speaker 1: Do we even mention his name yet? No?
Speaker 2: We have, like they just they there's a lot going on here. I mean, this will be one of the most I don't know, I just I'm I'm most I'm really really interested to see how this team's gonna play, what their rotations look like, and maybe this all just gets sorted out and they shake up the roster further before this offseason's over, and then we don't. It doesn't seem quite as strange and thrown together. But at the moment, it's just I'm fascinated by what the Blazers think they're going to do.
Speaker 1: Uh, dude, is there? I mean, you I think what I'm struggling with so much for this before we move on is I tried to think, okay, well, what would they need for me to feel good about making it work? And the problem is, the thing I keep getting caught up on is that no, like Joa Moran and Damian Lillard, I don't know how to game out the rest of the roster. If we're working our way back from that and it's not Damian Lillard's fault, I think is pretty scalable. My instinct would be that one of them needs to come off the bench for it to make any semblance of sense and emotionally, John Moran and I think even I mean he's coming back for achilles injury, but as in terms of fit John Morant coming off that like his game at this point might just be yeah, put him on the ball and try to let him cook offensively. But when you're looking at how much money he's making versus what Damian Lillard is making, well it should Damien and I'm I'm not under the guys that either of them will come off the bench. But that's the that's the only it had nothing to me to necessarily do with personnel, because this I think you could still say they need shooting on this roster still, but I don't look at the personnel and say no, like this is the problem. They need better or different types of personnel to make John Rant and Damian Lillard work. My whole thing is, I just don't think those two should be play forget starting like they they shouldn't be closing games together. Their minutes should be staggered beyond reason. And I don't know, I guess it does it help if you think both of them are gonna play kind of smaller type roles where neither of them are gonna play thirty minutes a game. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Moran's the type of player you just can't play in a small role, like because of all the deficiencies you listed like that no defense and no shooting and then no, you know, just if he's not on the ball, high usage, like center of everything, he's not a good player. And he hasn't been a good player in that role the last couple of years or able to play that role the last couple of years because he's not been healthy or he's been suspended. So we should move on. I think it's pretty clear like where we went here.
Speaker 1: I have to ask you this, I have to do that. Who's more likely to be on the I'm gonna set the over under at point five of Shane Sharp and Scoot Henderson still being on the Blazer's roster open the season. Are you taking the over the under?
Speaker 2: Uh? Over? Because that way, all I have to get is one of them still there and I win.
Speaker 1: So I must have framed it wrong. Do you think one of them? Do you think both of them will be off the right?
Speaker 2: I kind of do. I kind of do, because if you're willing to trade for Ja Moran and Adam to this roster, you're unhinged enough to just go into the season with all these guys there.
Speaker 1: The only thing I'm gonna say on that then, is you need to play the like it needs to be. Drew, Shane Sharp, Scoot Dame and Ja Moran need to play together for at least a few We need to see it. If you're gonna have all those guys on the same team, where did you want to go next? We're kind of in free for all mode now, unless.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's see what's our What are other? Uh do we do?
Speaker 1: Lebron?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, we should probably talk about that. So he told the Lakers, I will not be back, thank you very much, which to me was just kind of the next logical step in the dissolution that's been happening since the Luca trade and was accelerated by the no extension offer last offseason and now just here we are. This had a little bit of a like you can't fire me. I quit vibe to it because it was pretty obvious that the Lakers were not prioritizing him, And I think that's probably got to be a pretty severe ego hit to a player that's like kind of had zero ego hits throughout his career. So there's that. And like I we talked on a previous pod just about how I'm all I'm here for the Warriors just getting him, and the Anthony Davis thing now seems pretty high in the sky. I think it was Mark Spears had reporting that, like the Wizards are like cool plans, guys, we're not trading Anthony Davis, Like you can't make us.
Speaker 1: It was framed as a dream too, and was that the shortest lived dream ever? Because we heard about it on Monday and it was dead by Tuesday.
Speaker 2: I dreamed, I dreamed that dream hard for eighteen hours or whatever or whatever it was. I I do, I do think the Warriors are a real possibility, you know, just for all the reasons we've discussed, like he could play he well, let's focus on this. Wasn't the wording from Lebron's side that he wanted to play meaningful.
Speaker 1: Basketball, meaningful, competitive basketball.
Speaker 2: Those are the exact words that the Warriors and Steph have used to describe what they want, like, meaningful basketball is a thing Kerr and Curry have said verbatim several times over the last last year. So I'm just connecting dots over here.
Speaker 1: Bud, that would be That would be a fun bread crumb if that ends up happening.
Speaker 2: But here's the thing. I've never heard anybody say meaningful basketball before the Warriors started talking about it last year, as they're like right off into the sunset goal mother mantra, and now Lebron's just happening to say meaning or I guess Rich Paul probably want to say it, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Meaningful, meaningful would be open to interpretation, but competitive implies contention, which is also him kind of flaming the Lakers.
Speaker 2: No, that is that that's true too. Which is just wrong because there's every chance the Lakers could be really good next year.
Speaker 1: But it's just what I will The one thing I will say is if you come I didn't know about the Warriors, breadcrumb, and I'm not saying they wouldn't be good. But if you come out and say I want to play meaningful, competitive basketball, and the answer to that is signing with a team that has exclusively over the age of thirty five players or you're going to play for James Harden's team, I have questions.
Speaker 2: Right. Well, well, then we circle back to the he uh. I guess it was Windhorse or somebody said it's not about money, it's about happiness. And then then you.
Speaker 1: Can also the report he will consider any team. I imagine that exempts the Kings, I take.
Speaker 2: I take a little bit of issue with that. I don't think he's going on a wa I want to play with a D go to the Wizards, proven man, let's see it. Uh. I think the Warriors are realistic. I think the Calves are realistic. I don't know if I would extend that to Miami because because in both like the Warriors can give him the mid level and I would imagine that that is a little bit of a priority, Like does he want to play for the minimum? I know he's got all the money he could ever spend, but like that, that's one of those things where I don't know, let me ask you because I'm rambling and I'm I'm admittedly like, I'm not going to be rational about this. If you're handicapping it, just who's the favorite in your mind right now?
Speaker 1: Oh well, now that you said the meaningful breadcrumb, I think it's the Warriors. So the problem with the Calves right now, we're not working with the mid level. And I wanted to stick on this like rumor tidbit from Brian Windhorst for a minute. He mentioned he had the mic drop on ESPN about what if Lebron and Jalen Brown both end up in Cleveland and that, I mean the sheer machinations of that happening. So without James Harden on the books right now, like James Harden's zero, So he opted out of the mutual option that they had. They have twenty they because if you're getting Jalen brewn or if you're giving Lebron the non tax mle, you're hard capped. At the first Apron. If you're taking more money back into trade, you're hard kepped. At the first Apron. They have twenty five million dollars in first Apron room without James Harden. So if you were to trade for Jalen Brown while resigning James Harden and then signing Lebron James, we're talking about like, that's one hundred million dollars basically, so you need to do that while clearing money, and even if Lebron is willing to accept the minimum. So let's just say Bron's wanting to accept the minimum. So now you're like hard kept. Let's say you could be hard kept at the second Apron. I don't I just what are the machinations of that look looked like? Because they are. So there's second Apron room again, No James Harden a little bit under forty million bucks about thirty five plus million dollars. I just so mobile goes out. But you basically need to when you're factoring James Harden's is he taking a huge discount? Is that's how because James Harden and I don't this isn't pejorative for my end. He's never struck me as someone who would take any less than he needs to. He wants to lock up as much long term money as possible, and he's certainly not gonna believe a front office that tells him we'll take care of you on the back end, because Darryl Morey is a liar.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who hurts you, James? Sorry, buddy, Yeah, I don't see that one.
Speaker 1: Would you trade though, Evan Mobley for Jalen Brown is the question that's like, well.
Speaker 2: We we wouldn't trade him for Giannis, right, isn't that where we landed? So can you trade him for Jalen Brown? Is Jalen Brown a better value than Yannis?
Speaker 1: Well? What if it means Lebron is coming? What if that's.
Speaker 2: The Paul George situation?
Speaker 1: Evin Mobley and stuff for Jalen Brown and Lebron? James, Basically, I might, I might?
Speaker 2: I think. So then you're what you're looking at is hardened back in this hypothetical. So it's like Harden Mitchell, Jalen Brown, Lebron and Jared Allen.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, Dean.
Speaker 2: Wade, No, Dean Wade. Sorry, you know you don't get him back at the very least that gets you. Yeah, ke On ellis is gone, he's paid now, he's got a mutual option, he's living living life.
Speaker 1: Mutual auditions.
Speaker 2: They're in the same common station Toronto is now or maybe they. But the thing is maybe they already are, you know as like, yeah they could, you know, they could, they could go on a run, they could be I do think it's a little harder. That's a harder self for Cleveland because this core has kind of been there for a little bit and just they haven't put it together. So there's some case to be made for like, well we changed it a little bit, like maybe we're not better on like on balance, but we're different and that's enough, you know, a little bit of the knicks like Thibodeau to Mike Brown theory, which paid off big time. Yeah, I don't know, I would think about it. I might just want to hold Onto mobile because he's kind of your ticket out of like if and when I wouldn't do it.
Speaker 1: I could. I'm sorry. Lebron and Jalen Brown and James Hard and Don Mitchell is just too much of a combustible cocktail in so many different ways for me.
Speaker 2: Your shooting's pretty bad too. I mean, I like Brown, your window two years back, yesterday, it might have just closed. So that's the thing with the Warriors, is like their windows already closed and this is just for fun. So so like the stakes are so low.
Speaker 1: I think the Warriors should probably be viewed as the favorites at this point, because I don't think I can't see Lebron signing for the minimum, which is basically what it would take to get him back in Cleveland. At this point, maybe they could game it with the mini MLA's they need to shed salary if they want to give him the tax MLA. And that just seems like, who are you just dumping Max Struce so that you could replace him with Lebron. I guess in theory that's a fine proposition to make, and we don't know how much less James Harden's willing to take. I'm all in on the Warriors now, mostly because of what you said about the breadcrumbs, but I did want to ask you, let's remove the Cavaliers and the Warriors from the equation. Let's also let's even remove money from the equation and take Lebron at his or Rich Paul's word, where money isn't important. He just wants to win. A title. Where should he sign next year? None, can't be Oklahoma City just because that's not happened. They wouldn't do it.
Speaker 2: Great, there's one answer, it's the Spur.
Speaker 1: There's two.
Speaker 2: What's the Knicks? Yeah, can fit him?
Speaker 1: Well? No, I said Money's it would have to be a minimum, So money is not like which the Spurs would have the mid level, which is why they are more interesting is they could give him the mid level.
Speaker 2: I mean, but would you Let's okay, you get Lebron, but you have to you have to erase Modio Wara's new deal from existence. Are you doing it?
Speaker 1: No, He's just like Evan Mobley as Cleveland's out right, and.
Speaker 2: He's on a way cheaper deal than Mobiley, So in a lot of ways, he's the superior asset. Let's just leave it there.
Speaker 1: I don't think he could bring himself to go to the team that just won the title. But I actually think that that makes in terms of like having a problem if if you threw the money is the problem. But in terms of role and title shot, I actually think the Knicks are the best fit because they still don't necessarily have a traditional second best ball hand learn in San Antonio. You're trying to get reps for Fox and Dylan Harper and Stephan Castle.
Speaker 2: He's like he's spotted up in the corner a lot in San Antonio in my mind, and that's not necessarily the best use use of him. But I mean I would I'd be okay with what I'd be I'd be interested. I'd like to see how that looked. Maybe he would figure out. Maybe he'd be the one to tell women, Yama, here's what you should do on offense. That could be interesting.
Speaker 1: Uh. And by the way, this is another Summer mentioned that Chad is Lebron holding up free agency again.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, he is right, because it's like he knows what his options are at this point. It's just it does feel like because I'm impatient and I just want him to be on Golden State now so I can started talking myself into it and enjoying it, Like I think this is gonna drag out? Doesn't it feel like?
Speaker 1: This is?
Speaker 2: Like? Why is this over already?
Speaker 1: If he breaks, I don't have July fourth plans because I have reactive dogs and so we're I'm on like fireworks duty. But if he does the if he will be in the bunker. If he does the jely, I ain't gonna be happy. I'm not gonna be like this is I I'll allow it if he goes somewhere where it was purely like it's it's sick. Oh shit, where did he just go to Minnesota? Oh he's in Detroit, that Lebron. You're allowed to sign whenever you want, if you go to a detent, if it's Golden State, if it's San Antonio, if it's Cleveland, even if it's my Knicks. I don't want to hear it. You needs to happen before I'm in the bunker, or needs to happen after. So I really wish he's not going to But I wish that he would go to just one of the off the beaten path team.
Speaker 2: It would be Actually don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know how much sense Minnesota makes because I think that he might murder one of Rudy Gobert, LaMelo or Anthony Edwards. But Detroit, my god, that's that's a perfect thing. Or just Denver to see the basketball IQ with him and Jokic.
Speaker 2: I'm just annoyed. You don't want me to be happy. There's only one. It's just the Warriors, and let's get it done and move on. That's that's all. That's the only thing.
Speaker 1: Okay, if it's not the Warriors, give me a team that you Yeah, I already said the Spurs.
Speaker 2: I I'm easy, I'm simple that way.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say. I wanted to beat Detroit or Minnesota if there, if there was an off the beaten path team, Yeah, Charlotte probably, I think that's yeah, Yeah, there don't sleep on them, you want to do I guess they're kind of in like the lightning round here.
Speaker 2: Is there anything other? Well, we should probably hit on the non transactions of of Duran and Kessler.
Speaker 1: Just that's getting a little awkward.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So Mark Spears had the quote, I tweeted, the Detroit Pistons have offered what the franchise believes is the most lucrative contract possible for their all star restricted free agent Jalen Duran. That's worded kind of funny. It's what they believe is the most that they're actual Max is involved here, that's not what they believe. Uh, they are not interested in any sign and trade deals and will match any potential offer sheet he signs. Yeah, that's how this was always gonna end, Like that's what restricts agents does. So like all this like, oh they're taking meetings, cool, do you understand what matching rights are? Like, Okay, sign him mystery teams? Same thing with Walker Kessler.
Speaker 1: The Pacers for Lebron, I sure, great, Poul Robert great Pool.
Speaker 2: Uh, Like I don't so so I guess I'm I don't think there's a lot to discuss here with either Kessler or Duran. We're talking Durhan now, but it's like, yeah, this was this, this is what was gonna happen. They all they ever had to do was be ready to pay the most another team could pay, which is like four and one seventy something, right or one eighty something. That's all it was ever gonna cost at most, And until that offer comes in, they can continue to hope it's gonna be even less than that. Like there's just it's not it's not it's four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't who's more. I think Duran's more likely to get the four for one seventy seven point three from a team. Yeah, the Lakers. The Lakers are looming out there, like the Nets could still use a big a little bit, right, Like they have Dayron Sharp, but that's it. Chicago is probably out of it because they do have Claxton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's That's the other thing is there's not like this, there's the line isn't around the block for either of these guys. There's like two teams that are actual possibilities.
Speaker 1: Do you think Detroit is being shortsighted by refusing to engage in sign and trade discussions? Probably not. They did. They did cost themselves, I will say a little bit of leverage by trading Isaiah Stewart because they kind of I guess they meant to telegraph, oh, we're gonna match whatever offer, and maybe it was meant to scare away teams. But also they're now in a position to where it's, well, you better hope, like if you don't want to pay him the four years, if that's not what they're offers for, if they haven't given him four years one hundred and seventy seven point three, you're kind of like, we better you have to match it if he does get it, because what your alternative is Paul Reid and hopes and dreams.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, I mean, so the obvious downside here that gets cited all the time and situations like this, Oh, you're pissing them off, like you're you're you're ruining this relationship by not just lavishing him with two hundred you know, like seventy million dollars or eighty million dollars more than any other team could pay him. You're not You're not taking care of your guys, Like that's going to cause resentment. No, it's not like everybody understands how restricted free agency works. Nobody's ever been pissed off to get one hundred and seventy seven million dollars, which especially if you know that no one else could have given you more. And instead of like being boxed into some like made up sign and trade scenario if there's other teams that want him, sign him to the deal and trade him later, like if that's his market value, which would like, if he signs an offer sheet, his market value has just been established, so match it and then move him when you feel like you need to. I don't know it's an oversimplification, but I just like restricted free agency is incredibly powerful and team friendly, and it's not weird to me at all that the Jazz and the Pistons are doing things this way.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's weird they're doing it this way, but it shouldn't there is it feels as if something weird is going on in Detroit because of what they've already done. Isaiah Stewart's gone. God, not really why.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think like you, I guess you could look at the Stewart stuff as like, well, it's a leverage play one way or the other. But isn't it just as likely that they decided, well, we know we're going to get durned back because we have the matching rights, and we'd rather have a good shooter basically filling in that roster slot for less money. And you know, it was two seconds coming in, two seconds going out. We turned Stewart into Isaiah Joe.
Speaker 1: And you know, now you're operating under the assumption that all you needed to do this offseason was go from Isaiah Stewart to Isaiah Joe.
Speaker 2: Is my point, not necessarily because you can still make another trade.
Speaker 1: But that's my point is that this holds up. This is holding up the Tobias Harris. Is he going to get signed by someone else? The reports that he's not going to be back. He was important to them last year, so Again, I'm not saying that they need to rush into anything, but I just find that if there was this disconnect between them and Jail and Duran, it's this is holding up other business for them. And I would argue, even if they've resigned Jalen Duran right now, if the moves like resigning Kevin hurd Er, getting Isaiah Jones, keeping Jail on Duran, if that's the and losing beefs to like, if that's the meat and potatoes of your off season, I don't think that's a good off season for the the Pistons had and for what they needed.
Speaker 2: That would be disappointing. I just I guess I don't see Duran the Durhaan thing as precluding the type of the Michael Porter Junior trade or whatever, because can't they still with Duncan Robinson and some other matching salary just get to what it would take and throw the picks in there to go get Porter Junior, who whatever, Trey Murphy what not that they can necessarily get those guys, But like, what what what is? Why is Duran's restrict your free agency getting in the way of that type of move being made.
Speaker 1: You need to know so the number isn't going to impact your transactions now because of his cap hold, like that could be what you're working with. But you do to kind of understand, well, what is your salary structure going to be after the fact, like once then when you're actually looking at the full freight of the roster with Jalen during at forty something million dollars a year or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah not I but if you think you can move Joe or Hurder or whoever else so these mid tier salaries they've got, or you turn a star Thompson into something else, there are good there will be ways to kind of get if you're worried about aprons, I guess there there'll be ways to to get things, how you know, more snugly fit into the payroll band you want to be in. I think I don't know. I guess I'm not seeing I take your point that it feels well. What we definitely agree on is like you can't just bring Herder back and sign Joe and think you've done enough, right like that that is it.
Speaker 1: Is it's objectively funny that Kevin Herder is just the second move that they made of the offseason.
Speaker 2: Was what did you think about that because because my immediate reaction was like, oh my god, why did anybody who was giving him nine a year?
Speaker 1: But then I need to see if like is there are the final two years non guaranteed? Those details still don't seem to like if that's a fully guaranteed eel, that's curious at best.
Speaker 2: So, you know, I was he hasn't been above the league average from three since like twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: Like he doesn't like the beam season, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so like he was hurt I think in the playoffs, and that's part of the reason he didn't play very much. But like, boy, the Pistons better be real sure that that was it and the past. The fact that he hasn't been a great shooter over the last several seasons is like, I don't know how you could convince yourself of that.
Speaker 1: The so quickly. On the Walker Kestler front, what I find interesting is that Tony Jones of The Athletic reports that he has multiple thirty plus million dollar offers. One I'm not really sure what, like how far apart of didn't the Jazz offer him four and one forty or was it five and one forty? Was it five.
Speaker 2: Now I can't remember. I think it was. I'm not sure. I know it was one forty, but I couldn't tell you if it was if it was uh four or five years.
Speaker 1: So like, because if it if it's five and one, even if it was five and one forty, what are they two million dollars a year apart? Basically it feels like a kind of a weird line to draw. But my actual five all right, it's five and one forty, So that makes that does make uh what you like jazz as four for one twenty, which is the same thing as five for all close to I might My thing is if you're paying a big this year, So if we're like, who would you rather pay that type of money to jail on Duran or Walker Kessler?
Speaker 2: So if I could get Kessler, let's take four for one twenty. I think I would rather do that than four for one seventy seven for Duran. And I feel, yeah, I don't think I would definitely rather give Kesler four one twenty than Duran four one seventy seven. I think, particularly like if I'm for the Lakers, because I think it's just you could make that. I mean, Duran's been made an All NBA team. Kesler's almost certainly never going to do that. But Kessler is a player that you're asking to do a couple things exceptionally well, and he's proven beyond a shadow of doubt that he can do those things. Just be your rim protector, block shots, rebound, offensive rebound. That's it. We don't need you to expand your offensive game to justify a superstar salary. Durren's different, Like, part of the theory of Duran is that he he was for a lot of the year a second option on a really good team and maybe could be again, Like but blew it in the playoffs. Like I'm just more comfortable paying a guy I know exactly what I'm gonna get and the role isn't doesn't need to be massive in Kessler. What do you Where do you fall on that?
Speaker 1: I think I'm with you the money being what it is. But when you're looking at what Kesler is pushing for, do you think that Jalen Duran is still the higher upside big of the twos where if you had to make let's say you had to make the forty million dollars a year gamble versus thirty million dollars a year. Are you still taking Kessler? There's the bankability there, but I don't know what his I hate the word upside is so just o. Yeah, he's in ambiguous, but you get what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I'm honest. I'm not comfortable with either of them at that at that price point for different reasons. I think because Kessler, like you just can't play like effectively a good role playing center that kind of money. I guess Gobert is kind of the exception, Like I just I don't think he's gonna be a four time Defensive Player of the Year and and just prove for a decade that he's a defense under himself kind of player. Because it's like over the last several years, like Gobert is the only guy like that basically of that player type. Duran, I do you Durran feels a little fool's goldie to me, where it's like you can't build a defense around, like he's not the reason your defense is good. He doesn't stretch, he's not switchable, like he's sort of he's kind of a different version of the type of like he needs the ball to be. I don't know, I just I don't think the I don't think he's the type of player that you can pay that much money like you get into like a Sabonus type or something like that, where it's like, my god, you can't. You just can't make him a highly paid core piece of your operation.
Speaker 1: You can.
Speaker 2: Again, that's probably too harsh because the Pistons won sixty games and he had a ton to do with it.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's too harsh when you look at what happened in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: That's the thing that that's the most recent thing we saw, and that's real scary if you're talking about giving him forty million a year.
Speaker 1: Right, and it's just the whole point is it? Now? He maybe he hasn't had a ton of opportunities, but if your offense from the regular season isn't going to scale to your offense in the playoffs, that's going to be an issue. And it's right now he's going into year five. This isn't just some raw prospect anymore. I think what appeals to me is just someone who we saw it when Kaide was injured during the regular season. We saw it in It wasn't even flickers and flashes but these just extended stretches. You give me someone who can sometimes handle the ball like him or just generate his own shot with that size is a really big deal. But yeah, I would. I am with you in the sense that of the money that's being reported, I don't know what the money needs to get to. Even if it was a max. If you had to pay one of the max money, you might be able to talk me into Jalen Duran.
Speaker 2: I think that's really fair. You just can't do it for either of them. If Jalen Duran had sprained his ankle on the last day of the regular season and not played in the playoffs, would his earning potentially be like fifty million dollars higher than it is right now. Like if he just hadn't played in the playoffs at all, it would dude, he'd be a second team he's all NBA player. That all we'd think is that guy was the second best sixty one team young, he's athletic, he's awesome. We would be totally like if not for the postseason, he I would be like shocked if he didn't get two hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: The other thing that's probably at play here by the way because you mentioned that number. He was Supermax eligible, and you probably don't want to become the first player who's super Max eligible doesn't get a version with a fifth year. Like remember Rudy the deal he signed with the Jazz was no, he didn't get the super max, but he got this mega five year deal. And it seems as if the Pistons, but this is just my read on the situation, are no, Like there's not even a fifth year, and we don't they probably even want to give him the four year max that another team could give him. And regular Or says in the head teams with team teams with cheap centers have a huge advantage I think for the most part when you're dealing with centers that have these fundamental flaws or limitations. Jale Durham, Walker Kessler both fall into that. When you look at what Kesler can do on offense or what Jalen Duran can do. Probably I mean I said on offense, I like you, I have concerns about Jalen Dern at both ends of the floor, and with Walker Kesler, I've become very fixated on what does he take away from you offensively in certain matchups? And so that I think kind of just proves who the more valuable player is at this point. But it's tough. I want to I do. Yeah, I mean by design too. I wanted to ask you about christophs Porzingis's deal with the Warriors, two years, forty million with a player option. How did you feel about where that ended up? How do you feel about that price point you mentioned at the was it on air? Off air? But he could he could be traded immediately because the price of the extension of the flexibility is open. They rolled over to Jonathan comingus loot to a more useful player.
Speaker 2: By the way, I'm sorry, who's got a new deal? Who's the who's the better asset?
Speaker 1: Right here? Here's the number of comments we got when we were talk about Jonathan Mminga on our Hawks look Ahead were just like, you don't watch like Johnathan Cominga is so crucial to this team? Yeah, he was so crucial. They declined st option and gave Jock Landelle to.
Speaker 2: Anybody come to me and say you don't watch Jonathan Kaminge. Do you know how much YouTube tape I used to crush, Like, I come, that's the that's the most wrong criticism we've ever faced, like by a factor of a thousand. I don't watch Jonathan Kaminga. I watched entirely too much Jonathan Kaminga. That's why I thought he was gonna be so great and then thought he was gonna be terrible, and then did that six hundred times over his entire career. Yeah, that's ridiculous. If let me let me to those of you who are new to the Jonathan Cominga experience, what you watched is it where you get some twenty point games and you think he's incredible and then you realize, oh, he's actually not a helpful player and doesn't fit on a winning team that plays the right way. So that's where we are. Porzingis structured as an extension, so he's immediately tradable. Yeah, twenty. I was kind of hoping more towards like fifteen. But what's five million dollars? I guess you had talked me into. Well, let's let's pump his number up. Make it a one year deal. Swapping for Anthony Davis and I just I I flowed.
Speaker 1: I got you Anthony Davis and Lebron while keeping Jimmy Butler. You're welcome I.
Speaker 2: Floated the entire day. My feet didn't touch the ground after that, So I'm a little disappointed in light of where my hopes were. I would just say, whatever else happens with the Warriors, Porzingis is kind of the ideal fit with Draymond Green. When he signs for Lesson comes back.
Speaker 1: That's happen. What do you expect that to be now?
Speaker 2: Fifteen to twenty? I would guess for Draymond, I think if they get Lebron, I would imagine he's good. They'll both be around the Lebron WI get the mid level. Draymond'll be closer with last twenty dollar more, just as a flex facilitated this whole thing. Yeah, but Porzingis, I think all the health and rely and availability stuff is still just undeniable. So there's a chance this is twenty million in dead money. Plus he got a player option, which I guess that's just what it was going to cost.
Speaker 1: But three million so per per uh track? Spot? How how is it pronounced? Grants?
Speaker 2: I do in my brain. In my brain, I say SPO track, But I feel like you and others have said, like spa track, which spot track? Oh not an a? So I don't like SPA track. I say spow track in my head.
Speaker 1: I talked to Keith Smith all the time and I still just can never pin that. I ask him every year when he's on the show. But SPA track has it at three million partially guaranteed for show. It's like it's like a mutual option. I think you'll call it.
Speaker 2: Some would say no, that I forgot about that. Uh yeah, that makes me like it a little more.
Speaker 1: Yes, his trade value, I think too functionally is an expiring contract really to some teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think it's fine. I think I think it's fine to very good, depending on how much he actually plays. The fit's great, Like he just makes sense.
Speaker 1: Do you kind of feel as if there was the Anthony Davis sort of sheen for a minute here, But it does kind of feel as if we're headed towards another offseason of Okay, the Warriors had their early summer link to Big Name X. Nothing came of it. We're just running it back and if the lebron thing doesn't pan out, it's will be interesting when when we're healthy, which will be hardly ever, especially when you consider Jimmy Butler won't be back till twenty twenty late. What there's no I guess my point is there's probably nothing that could happen this offseason that would get them thinking, well, we need to make a real aggressive move. And I think you could argue, is there anything that could happen in the regular season, because if they're good enough to where you say, oh, let's go make an aggressive move, they might say, well, why look how good we are right now?
Speaker 2: Would yeah, I mean, not a lot's changed in the last several years. You said it, like they're they get linked to somebody and then it doesn't happen, and I mean they got Butler. So the problem is, like this all started when wait a minute, they're gonna get Kevin Durant, Like no, come on, like that's impossible. They just won the most games. Anyone's that like that can't And then it happened. And so now anytime you get these little like oh it might be this guy, it might be that guy, some small part of you is like, well, I mean the most impossible thing already happened ten years ago, So you're primed to like think that the Lebron and ad thing is actually gonna come to pass. I was I was like, that's definitely happening. I was like, so sure, but yeah, I don't in terms of like, I think they're gonna try to make as big a move as they can, like within reason, which has kind of been part of part of why they haven't gotten the guy. Yeah, they want to play meaningful basketball. That's all anybody wants.
Speaker 1: If they don't get Lebron. At this point, I feel like it's gonna be a little bit now that you've pointed out the meaningful part of all this to me, and I'm just going off of what you said. I don't remember them or seeing it them, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we talk about it all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, happened.
Speaker 2: I'll be deeply disappointed if they don't get Lebron, just because then what We're just gonna run it back and wait for Jimmy Butler to be miraculously one hundred percent coming off in ACL.
Speaker 1: I do feel like we should take this moment to just shout out the New Orleans Pelicans resolve as you see Lebron's leaving the Lakers. Jaws traded, Lamellos traded, Trey Is traded, Zion and Trey Murphy and Herb Jones are just still there. New Orleans going strong. Uh, the final actual topic unless we have any breaking news before, I wanted to get what your biggest remaining question was the latest on number seven option jail in Green. I actually wanted to get your thoughts on that whole discussion. But it does seem as if it's more likely, like, do you envision this as something based on everything that has happened, that if they just got in a room, that it could be hashed out, or do you view this as more of a situation that's reached the point of no return?
Speaker 2: I think you asked me this the other day and I said, yeah, I think they do after or right, maybe I asked you do they have to trade them? But it was loaded because I was implying I think they do have to trade him yet not sorry you like Jazz, it's a number number seven option j Jalen Brown, not Jalen Green. Jalen Green is actually be a seven option, number three option. I so my gut says, I do think you just this feels a little past the point of repair, and I think they do need to trade him. But we've also gotten to a spot where it's kind of like okay, well, but where like, what's the offer out there? Well, like Atlanta for four firsts and like not a Kong Wu and Jalen Johnson and whatever, like are the Celtics taking that? Like maybe I just I don't see a great move out there so that I have to take that into account. I still I think it may be it's salvageable, but like it's gonna be tough because this has been kind of a mess and and sort of building for a while. It feels like, don't you agree?
Speaker 1: I agree that it's a mess. I at this point think that they should keep him and try to figure it out because I don't.
Speaker 2: See But just do you think that's because the right offer's not out there? Because they Oh no, I.
Speaker 1: Think it really don't want to objectively, I thought them getting involved in the Yannis sweepstakes was a bad idea. I would have rather. It's not that I don't think Jannis is the better player. There's no argument for Jalen Brown over Yannis. My argument was, would you rather have Jalen Brown and picks and flexibility to make other moves moving forward or Yannis who you have to extend I would rather like that's the path I'd rather choose. And now you've entered a point where even the teams that people could say, well, now Portland's off the board because they went and got jaw Intlanta has been mentioned, who were the players like, unless Boston was planning on taking some type of step back and reorienting long term around Jason Tatum. I want to see them play meaningful basketball next year. And it's not to say that they couldn't with some of those packages, but it would have felt whether it was Portland, whether it's Atlanta, it would have felt like a hodgepodge, And at least with the Yannis stuff, it was, well, they're trying to get the better player. Whether I supported it or not, I understood the logic. I might even understand because he's not the better player, he's just different. But you could get me on board with Evan Mobley and picks, or if it's Evan Mobley plus someone plus picks, like, yeah, I could probably get on board with that. It doesn't seem like that's out there, but that's not the reason why I think you try and work this this out unless he has been absolutely disastrous behind the scenes on it. I hate the way he's been talked about in the media. I don't think Bobby Marx I've spoken with him, is super nice. Like, I just don't think that was a quote he should have shared and like if that person want to put their name on it, like it's just these throwaway things. We know how they take on a life of their own. And now it started this whole analytics debate again. Like Jalen Brown, Yes, the on off stuff is the on off stuff. You know what it says to me. Boston had a hell of a bench and Jalen Brown's role and life was super hard last year going up against the level of competition. He was so I hate the way that this is because it's me and you had this exact discussion where it's as soon as a player signs either that's second or in most cases third contract. Some players like Tyler Hero the moment he size is rookie extension. You're just you're kind of at laws so much less. Yeah, Jalen Brown, it was that third contract. It was like, no, look at this number. It's awful, and do I think it's the best contract in the league. Know, But this idea that people think Boston stupid because they want multiple first round picks for Jalen Brown. Yeah, it's just like Jalen Brown was. You could make these He was certainly one of the fifteen best players in basketball last year. To me, you could have made the case that he was one of the ten. So I find that and maybe that's why I'm like tilting so far towards just keep him and work it out. My fear is just we haven't seen not that he needs to do it, but you see Jason Jalen Brown out there on Twitch and on Twitter and saying whatever he's saying. It would probably go a long way if just like Jason Tatum come out and said something. I'm not trying to displace the responsibility onto him, but something and maybe I'll reverse jinx it like I did with the Knicks. Something feels rotten here now and that, well, don't.
Speaker 2: I think I was gonna ask you, is is tatums silence pretty loud then? Because he could have that?
Speaker 1: I what do you think?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't think about it at all till you just brought it up. It is like, oh, yeah, he actually hasn't said anything. I mean, he's not obligated to and and you don't get to just conclude that, Oh, well, that means Jason Tatum not a fan, you know, I don't. I don't think that's that's that's a fair thing to assume. But I was just gonna. I thought i'd ask you that because I thought I might make you try to assume something unfairly, But you didn't take de bait.
Speaker 1: I just I hate like it falls under the umbrella of when people think they could read NBA players his lips in real time. I just can't like that's. I like connecting the dots and reading between the lines, but like that goes a bridge too far for me. These two won a title together, and then maybe maybe my analysis is off in the sense that could this beat Jaalen Brown driven he wants to be the number one option, or he's just not happy in Boston he took or maybe he found out that they were talking about Yannis and like that was the last draw for him, in which like, again, I would not have made that deal, as I'd love to know what their final offer was, but I would not made that deal as Boston. But I think you can say a rap. Reasonable people can say it was Joanness, Like, yeah, you're gonna be available if Prime Kevin Durant or Prime Yannis hits the chopping block, So I think they should keep him. That is my stance. I just don't know if we've reached the point where they can't well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, that I agree. I I don't know that either. I do think to circle back to what you kind of originally brought up, like you would like to think that Brown and Brad Stevens and whoever else needs to be involved could could say to each other, look like, it's just best for all of us if we stick together like for now. And you probably wouldn't want to emphasize the for now part of it because you're just leaving that door open. But that's just a fact at the moment, because the offer's not out there. Because the Celtics might just be the best team in the East next year if they just hang hang together with what they have and make marginal changes. And like I think anybody looking at it rationally would have to agree with that. The question is have we moved past being rational and which maybe they and maybe Brown is just fed up, and maybe the Celtics are fed up, and that's why this has to end. In a trade. But you'd like to think that they could get together and just kind of see this situation for what it is.
Speaker 1: And maybe I'm assuming there is dialogue happening, like, let's not. This doesn't need to happen through the media, No, everything does. I would be curious do you think it could have anything to do We mentioned this in the look at he's eligible for a two year, one hundred and forty one point nine million dollar extension this late July. I think it's July twenty sixth. Is that Could that have anything to do with this? I just when I see two year extensions, I tend to think, no, Yeah, like would you like to three of three.
Speaker 2: Of you hold your horses, buddy? Like we're just like we don't want to be like Devin Booker got that and the sons have gotten flamed by everybody for well and look.
Speaker 1: Dame got it too, and look what happened with him. You got traded? You want that? Yes?
Speaker 2: I do, as a matter of fact.
Speaker 1: So quick, quick fire. We had a question in the chat. I can't find it one grant, So let's get to our biggest questions that we still have. They weren't all answered in the first day of free agency. Isn't that weird? I find that quite frankly offensive and disappointed. Do you think we get any other move tonight?
Speaker 2: If we do, I'm not gonna know about him. Uh So, I'm gonna say I'll call.
Speaker 1: You when that Jaylen Brown trade comes through at three o'clock in the morning Eastern time.
Speaker 2: Emergency. Uh Man. Biggest question, so, are we gonna get another big move? Who would that be? I guess that would be like a sign and trade for Kessler or Duran or the Lebron signing or Anthony Davis trade. Seemed like that's not happening. Nothing happened with trade, Like no Trey Murphy buzz at all. I don't even know what who Who's like on deck? Maybe that's the better question, Like, what's the if there's another have we are the big moves done?
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: Is that? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Well? I think my so, My actual biggest question is what the fuck are the Pistons doing. I'm just looking at their offseason right now, thinking this. It's not that this can't be it. I'm looking at what they've done. It's like there needs to be something that's just somewhat massive lined up but my the other question would be does Walker Kessler and or jalender And actually sign an offer sheet, because that's when things get a little real for the teams. I would imagine both Utah and and Detroit end up matching set off her sheets, but I'd be curious to know what those look like. Are they just the four year max?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 1: What's the team? I mean we we didn't talk about this with Jolen Derham. By the way, the kings of the luxury tax kings are like having meetings with like and there was the rumor that domas a bonus would be involved in a sign in trade. I just want people to know that the way year compensation worked there needs to be like eighty teams probably roped into such a deal because Jalendern wouldn't count as his new salary going out. Those are the two because I can't I don't think that they play such like functionally different positions than Lebron. I can't imagine he's holding up anything with the center market and the teams that these guys are one of them's the Lakers, so they're not waiting on Lebron anymore. I can't bring myself to ask the Lebron question, because I feel like he might just leave us waiting for a while.
Speaker 2: I mean, I think one thing to look at is we saw really surprised he got this much. But Tim Hardaway Junior was you know, one of the Okay, who are the he going to attract to fill out this roster? Hardaway Junior got like six million, which I was stunned by. I thought we were just dealing with minimums here and.
Speaker 1: Six and a half is not the mini mL E that's the more.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, it has to be the non tax because the bi annuals smaller than the mini mL.
Speaker 2: Oh right, yeah, So what Norm palin on You'd assume you would assume that the heat looked at it and said, like, is Tim Hardaway Junior eighty percent as good as Norm Powell? Like answer, maybe yes if he if he does what he did last year.
Speaker 1: He can't do you want him dribbling?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, I'm just I'm just saying, like, well, we knew Powell was gone, even though the sweetheart deal that Andrew Wiggins signed just seemed to open up some flexibility, but not really because that included him getting the full thirty of his player option.
Speaker 1: Here we go. Thank you, Eric, I'm not gonna remember. I can guarantee you. I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna rage against this. I'm gonna we should I'm gonna try to convince Keith next time we talked that it should be spow track, because that's how my brain.
Speaker 1: But for now, I'm going to get spot track tattooed on my palm or the end or something. Uh Nurkic thoughts Grant two years and twenty two million dollars.
Speaker 2: A little surprised it was that much, but he did have many triple doubles in extremely meaningful basketball games last year.
Speaker 1: I also haven't seen the report, and there's no way the second year is fully given. There might be a mutual option on the second year.
Speaker 2: That's my real question is are we gonna normalize the fallacy that is the mutual option in our in our contract discourse.
Speaker 1: Oh, this feels wrong, wrong, He can no, he could dribble.
Speaker 2: He can dribble k good pastor facility.
Speaker 1: But as sneaky as Josh Green.
Speaker 2: Nobody's as well. Yeah, I wouldn't describe Josh Green's on the move passing as sneaky so much as uh, let's see what's the right way to describe it? Incisive?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: And uh, let's go with that. It's just like just out there dison it up on the move. Nobody does it, Like Josh Green.
Speaker 1: Did we mention this yet? In the the Andrew Wiggins contract? You and I talked off air? Did I mention it on air?
Speaker 2: I don't think I just alluded to it, but we should probably the.
Speaker 1: Best Like, is that the most team friendly deal that's been.
Speaker 2: Signed effectively two new years on top of his thirty million dollar player option at seventeen per for Andrew Wiggins. Like, even if you think he's aging, that dude is better than a mid level player, which is basically what seventeen a year is gonna be over over what twenty seven, twenty eight and twenty eight twenty nine?
Speaker 1: Right that that's so far the move where I look at it and I want it to be investigated. It feels like player right right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was that one was I'm trying to think what else? Just like didn't pass the initial smell test? What do you think that's ot? I mean honestly about the two for twenty two was close?
Speaker 1: What if you thought about the non star market in general? Because so wigans signing for what he did. I thought Gillspie might have gotten a little bit more than four for forty eight. Jordan Goodwin, Now this is where my homerism would come out. When I saw him get three for nineteen, I was like, Wow, so the Knicks are just gonna get deuce for three twenty four, right, because they're similar players, Jordan go Wentz a little bigger out right. But I've I've just been curious because we have some of them. But like even Canard, I guess it's just all right, so we're we're not really work. I mean, JOCKH. Landel, it seems to me like if you're gonna get as a role player like anywhere near the non tax MLLE, it's because you signed for one season.
Speaker 2: Well, but you just I was just looking for the for the contract that gave me the biggest double take. Like Landale's up there, fourteen I know it's one year. There's no bad one year deals, but fourteen million was like, to me, shockingly high? Did you not get that way to it?
Speaker 1: I reacted that way too, because they didn't have his bird rights and so you just burned your non tax MLLE. On John Addams a human trade exception.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's matching salary where they're gonna he's just there to be moved. I mean, that's the only to me like I get unless they really think he's he's there. Okay, you're you're giving you eighteen minutes a game as the primary backup center and we believe in you like that doesn't in which case, fourteen million on a one year deal is fine. I just I don't think the Hawks view him that way.
Speaker 1: Regulator eighty six eighty, Is Dean Wade's deal actually a good deal?
Speaker 2: I don't think we landed on an answer there.
Speaker 1: I don't. I I'm go ahead.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I was gonna say I was gonna say I like it better than the Hurder deal, just because I can imagine Dean Wade mattering like in big games, and Herder just hasn't proved that he can do that.
Speaker 1: But I don't. I don't. I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's fine, it's fine. I don't have a strong take on it, so I guess I can't. I can't say it's way too high or too low.
Speaker 1: We do have clarification on the mutual options that I think maybe only you and I care about this much. John Hodger says, Okay, just got to the bottom of this. Kean Ellis's deal is a true mutual option for a year two. He's getting two years and eighteen million, unless both sides simultaneously opt out of it next June, which presumably would only happen if they had already agreed on his next contract. If he sucks in the next and the Nets one out after first year, Ellis can enforce the year two guarantee. If he massively outplays the deal in the first year and wants to hit free agency, the Nets can enforce the second year of the deal, so likely ends up being straight two for eighteen. But there's some wiggle room unusual creative structure. So I don't, well, I didn't read this before I read it on the air, and this to me comes across as so is he partially guaranteed on the play? Like there? Is it a team option with a partial guarantee? I don't. I don't understand, But how is it being enforced?
Speaker 2: The second thing is that just sounded like a team option, uh the way you read it, So it's like, oh, I mean just like a player option where it's like if.
Speaker 1: He I I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna need I need to actually read it, okay, and I'm gonna look at it. This is the true mutual option for year two. He's getting two years and eighteen Unless both sides on the opt out, Shrimsley would only happen already agreed on his next contract. Okay, that's not helpful. If he sucks and the Nets one out, Ellis can enforce the year two guarantee. That's that's a player option. Like he sucks, the Nets don't want to pay him, but Ellis is in charge and can just say no, no, no, you're paying me for that second year. If he outplays it and wants to hit free agents, the Nets can enforce. So that sounds like a team option.
Speaker 1: I don't even says. Someone asked about it via what mechanism is this being done? And John Hodger said player option and a team option.
Speaker 2: I just thought that was not allowed in the CBA. I just I don't Everything that's being described here sounds like a mutual option, but I thought you couldn't do that. So I'm gonna need to see the text of the actual uh mechanism at work here.
Speaker 1: I am skully g underscore Okay, could you all see Jolen Brown being traded for Jabal Murray? Who says no to that? Probably, I assume both teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kind of right, Like I think I don't think you could argue that Brown does more for Denver than Murray does, and probably vice versa. I guess my gut is that the Nuggets would say no first, but I think both ultimately say no.
Speaker 1: I actually feel stronger that Boston would want more than just a jamalmur Like, if there was a team that's asking for more stuff as part of this deal, it's going to be Boston.
Speaker 2: Oh, I kind of think the well, I guess Brown's been more durable and he's actually well, yeah, I don't know. Both say no. That's where I land on that one.
Speaker 1: Anything else from you, is you have any other questions or things that you're just monitoring. I'm very curious to see lebron watches certainly holding up James Harden at the very least and Draymond. So those are two free agencies that we're not gonna see resolved. That might even be holding Danthony Melton, your guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's rough. I'd say, yeah, I would just say, like, maybe does Atlanta have a bigger thing in the works here. Does Detroit have something that you mentioned? Do they have something bigger in the works? Is Denver gonna do anything that would be maybe salary? Yeah, besides cuts, at what form will the salary cutting take? Maybe is the better question.
Speaker 1: Cam Johnson's gone right, because they don't have the.
Speaker 2: I mean we've we've talked about it. I guess probably.
Speaker 1: By the way, we haven't heard a whisper tonight of like Tari Easan or Peyton Watson, who were just like right anywhere. Like, I'm surprised that the teams with cap Space seem to be more focused on Kessler and Derna was. Those two are just so desperate to turn up markets. They're trying. But like they're meeting with the Kings. We know it's doven bad if you're meeting with the Kings, right, Well, so.
Speaker 2: The one last thing I know, we could just keep picking little things out. The thunder have to cut a little more money, right, because they did. They did opt in dort That's interesting, right, they moved Joe and it is Kenris Williams. They declined, Right, I'm just going off the top of my head here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're within eight million of ducking the second apron, and so how are they gonna do that? Isn't it? Well? I mean, do they start looking at I've so thunder fans were killing Nate Duncan for suggesting this. I think it was that crazy. I understand Lou Dort is an intensely flawed player and what happened in the playoffs this past year, But if you wanted to, you just drafted a Demarra. If you want to do it through like moving toepitch and Thomas Sorber, I'm not gonna blink.
Speaker 2: I heard him make that case, and I was annoyed that we didn't come up with it because it's like, yeah, of course, Like why wouldn't you just move the the two young guys that have not played for you basically yet? I think I think that that's what you're talking about, right. That was that was the move that like, no, this will be how they do it, because Dort actually still has value. He's like been a starter on a championship team.
Speaker 1: Right, He's also like he's an institution to the organization at least like his.
Speaker 2: Fans, which I did not factor into most of my analysis, Like, oh, that actually might just decide it right there. Yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: Done. He's more like he's insurance if you can't pay Casey and Wallace if Alex Caruso all of a sudden falls off a cliff or gets injured. I'm actually just maybe it's what we're doing with Duran, But it's just weird to see the own, like the team's fan base do it, and they've watched lou Dort for longer than we have. But maybe it's because that's the last taste in their mouth of lou Dort and we've seen it before. He just has these wild there and they're not even in the moment wild swings. It feels like he has entire like seasons that are like from two like good shooting seasons, and then he falls off a cliff and is making terrible decisions. So I think, wow, I'm skull. He says, I would like to see Chet get traded. Is it because you wants? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right at work there.
Speaker 1: So I think that's if I had to guess, I think they because Topich alone won't do it right. I'll double check. Because he was a lottery picks. We might be making some money taking a while of load here, I would prefer as Okay, see even though it's kind of only buying you, because like, what is the pathway to topic your sword we're playing at this point.
Speaker 2: Topitch is set to make a five point five point four and yeah, has to be both, which could you? I guess unless you view Jay Will as expendable with Mara and Hartenstein and check back, I would still rather moved, yes, and Sorber's at four point eight. I'd still rather move the two young guys, probably because you're right, like the path to playing time is what the injury I guess, but okay, I mean that that's that's I don't think the Thunder are super comfortable with having to rely on either of those guys in the event of injury.
Speaker 1: So are they? Are they even the third guy at any of their positions in the event of an injury when you already know the answers? No for Sober, because it's you have Hartenstein, Chet Mara, and jay Will and then we've seen them play j Dubbits Center two, so you're you might be sixth in that.
Speaker 2: And then if if it's like I guess, you'd call Topitch a lead guard, I get like, so Shay and Mitchell and then you just I would rather have j Dubb and then Jared McCain, just as you're sort of like, well we can help. Yeah, No, I think I think that's probably the way to do it.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I have Oh yeah, and they have stirts now too, which is just I will say, Samson Folk and I can't remember who he was talking with, got me hot. They were doing like a Bennett Startz breakdown before the draft, and this is the problem. This is why I'm dangerous when it comes to the draft. So I went back and watching I got this is like, this is worse than Brooks Barnheiser. Remember how high on him I was last season?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you got me with Brooks Barnheiser. I bought in just on your review alone.
Speaker 1: You're welcome or apologies. I don't think. I think that's like there's nothing. I expected tonight to yield more substance. And we talked a lot about theoretical stuff, and I thought there was gonna be more like Thankfully those trades happened. Otherwise we just would have talked about, well, like who do you put around Lebron and Steph in Golden state for an hour and a half is what we would have needed to do.
Speaker 2: I could never imagine myself being able to do that, Thank god.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such a short window. Yeah, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's gonna do it, I think. Thanks everybody in the comments robust comment section tonight much appreciated. Thanks to all the listeners and and viewers. As always, the all the subscribers especially. The best way to support this podcast is to become a Patreon member. Do that at patreon dot com slash Hardwood, Knox, NBA.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You will get all of our episodes ad free. I hate ads, you hate ads. Let's just let's unite against them. So sign sign up at the at Patreon dot com slash Hardwoo, Knocks, NBA. In addition to all the ad free stuff, you're gonna get bonus episodes do a couple of month. We just recorded one. Did you put that one live yet? The redraft?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the reviews are in and people loved it. Great.
Speaker 2: You get more stuff like that, and look we're taking suggestions. Man, We're gonna like this is a fluid situation. If if you're a Patreon subscriber, you will have significant input on what we do with our bonus episodes and the direction of the show because we will be serving you because you are a subscriber.
Speaker 1: Including Grant's wardrobe when we're on cast.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, I had a tank top on today and I sat down and I was like, not tonight.
Speaker 1: I Actually someone just messaged me on ig because we posted a re of the what you mentioned at the top of the show. What were we talking about? Oh? The why not Us era? Someone already messaged message me asking where did I get that jersey? Because it was the Woo York mix.
Speaker 2: Say you gotta work at brrright, Sorry, can't get it. I can't get it. You know we know a guy. Uh yeah, So please support us there. We appreciate your word, amount support, your your good reviews, all that stuff similarly appreciated. But we close as always without Spranklokana. Apologies to Jared Allen.