Speaker 1: Octavian and Cleopatra from mister Punch's Dramatic Sequels by Sintchin Hankins. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit LibriVox dot org. Caesar and Cleopatra. It might have been thought that Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra, rather than mister Bernard Shaw's Caesar and Cleopatra, demanded a dramatic sequel, But as mister Shaw has pointed out repeatedly that he is the greater dramatist of the two, his play has been chosen in preference to Shakespeare's. A prefatory essay proving at great length the dialog of this sequel is true to life, and is in fact substantially a reproduction of what was spoken in the year BC thirty one has been omitted for lack of space. Octavian and Cleopatra dramatist personi Cleopatra by Abayi.
Speaker 2: Charmian read by Libby Gawne.
Speaker 3: Octavian read by Elizabeth Klatt.
Speaker 4: Agrippa read by Alan Mapston.
Speaker 1: Narrated by Lambda scene an extravagantly furnished apartment in the palace at Alexandria, Cleopatra has discovered. Seated upon her throne, She is dressed with mournful splendor as befits a queen who has been defeated Adaptium and has suffered a recent beravement. Her face is as attractive as liberal use of cosmetics can make it, and her whole appearance is that of a middle aged and rather dissipated member of copp the ballet, who has gone into half morning because the manager has reduced her salary. Charmian, a pretty shrewdish looking damsel, is in attendance on her.
Speaker 5: Am, I looking my best, Charmian.
Speaker 2: Your Majesty is looking as well as I can make you. If you you are not satisfied, you'd better get another maid looking.
Speaker 1: At herself in hand mirror.
Speaker 5: Silly child. Of course I am satisfied. I think you are wonderful.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think I've not done so badly.
Speaker 5: Of course, with Antony not even buried, yate, it would hardly have done for me to be too magnificent. Most unsuitable as it is, I think we've arrived at a rather successful blend of splendor and sorrow, suggesting at once the afflicted widow and the queen who is open to consolation.
Speaker 2: That is certainly the impression we intended to convey. By the way, when does Caesar.
Speaker 5: Arrive Octavian almost at once.
Speaker 2: His first visit, isn't it?
Speaker 5: Yes? So much depends on a first impression.
Speaker 1: Looks ad mirror again.
Speaker 5: I think we shall captivate him.
Speaker 2: He is not very impressionable, I.
Speaker 5: Hear no, but I shall manage. Think how completely I fascinated.
Speaker 2: Julius, his uncle. I'm afraid that's hardly a reason why you should prove equally attractive to the nephew.
Speaker 5: My dear child. Why not?
Speaker 2: Well, the lapse of time, you know that was seventeen years ago, so long.
Speaker 5: I am really very well preserved.
Speaker 2: Considering the wear and tear.
Speaker 5: My good Charmian, how crudely you put things, I declare, I've a good mind to have you execute it.
Speaker 2: Your Majesty will hardly do that. I am the only person in Egypt who really understands the secret of your Majesty's complexion.
Speaker 5: Hmm, that's true, But you ought to be more tactful dossing her head.
Speaker 2: You can't expect me to display tact when my wages haven't been paid since the Battle of Actium.
Speaker 5: Poor child. Never mind, when Octavian is at my feet. You shall be paid in full. Will that satisfy you.
Speaker 2: I'd much rather have something on account.
Speaker 5: I wish you wouldn't vex me in this way, just when it's so important that I should look my best. You know how unbecoming temper is to a woman when she is well over thirty.
Speaker 1: Beginning to cry.
Speaker 2: They're there. I'm sorry I said anything to hurt you. Don't cry, for Heaven's sake, or that rouge will run. Then I shall have to go all over you again. Dry your eyes. There's a good creature.
Speaker 1: Cleopatter does so obediently.
Speaker 2: I declare, you're all in streaks. Come here and let me put you straight.
Speaker 1: Cleopatter goes to Charmian, who produces border puff, et cetera, and repass the ravages of emotion quick quick.
Speaker 5: I hear them. Ah, I'm glad he's so early, only a quarter of an hour after his time. That shows how eager he is to see me. I feel that this is going to be another of my triumphs.
Speaker 1: Charmian puts the finishing touch to the queen, just as Caesar enters. She then hastily conceals porderpuff et cetera behind her. Cleopatra has no time to return to the throne and stands rather awkwardly with Charmian to receive her visitors. These groups be Octavian, a pale, dyspeptic looking young man of about thirty, Agrippa, a bluff takes a red faced warrior past middle age, and a guard of Roman soldiers, looking around the gorgeous apartment with much disgust and speaking in a soft, weary voice.
Speaker 3: Ugh, bad taste, very bad taste.
Speaker 4: All this, you know what these barbary are are? To the two women, kindly informed the queen Caesar is here advancing.
Speaker 5: I am the Queen. How do you do you?
Speaker 4: Nonsense?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yes, I am.
Speaker 1: The gentle melancholy.
Speaker 3: Dear dear, another illusion gone illusion, your beauty, you know, your grace, your charm I had had so much of them, so had a Grippa. Let me introduce you, by the way, Agrippa Cleopatra, as I was saying, it is most disappointing, not.
Speaker 4: What I expected at all, Charmion giggles vertively.
Speaker 5: You don't admire.
Speaker 3: Me, admire you, my dear lady, Anthony was of a different opinion.
Speaker 4: Anthony was a fool.
Speaker 3: Hush, my, dear Grippa, you hurt her feelings.
Speaker 1: Agrippa shrugs his shoulders and crosses to Chamion, with whom it begins a vigorous flirtation.
Speaker 5: Never mind my feelings.
Speaker 3: Frankly, then, dear lady, we are not impressed. We came here prepared for a beautiful temptress, a dazzling siren whom I must resist or perish. Something seductive, enticing. And what do we find?
Speaker 5: Well, what do you find?
Speaker 1: In his gentlest voice?
Speaker 3: Dear lady, don't let us pursue this painful subject. Probably we had not allowed for the flight of time. Suffice it that our poor hopes are unrealized.
Speaker 1: Looking ground, But I.
Speaker 3: Don't see cesarean My son is not here, another disappointment.
Speaker 5: You wish to speak to him?
Speaker 3: Yes, they'd him as a son of Julius, don't they.
Speaker 5: He is a son of Julius, a.
Speaker 3: Sort of relation of mine. Then I must really make his acquaintance. Can you give me his address?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: If you want him, you will have to find him for yourself.
Speaker 3: Now I shall find him, Dearest Queen, you need be under no apprehensions about that brute.
Speaker 5: Eh nothing, I was only thinking.
Speaker 3: Never think a loud dear lady. It's a dangerous habit.
Speaker 5: Is there anything further you want with me?
Speaker 3: Nothing? Thank you, Nothing at least nothing just now you would like to see.
Speaker 1: Me later, gentler than a sucking dove.
Speaker 3: In a few weeks. Perhaps the triumph, you know, the sovereign people throwing up their caps and hallooing, the procession up the sacred way with the headsman at the end of it all. Oh, the usual.
Speaker 1: Thing, losing her temper.
Speaker 5: Oh, you're not a man at all. You're a block a stone. You have no blood in your veins. You're not like Antony.
Speaker 3: No, dear lady, I'm not like Antony. If I were, I shouldn't have beaten him at Actium.
Speaker 5: I won't stay to be baited in this way. I won't.
Speaker 1: I won't goes towards door.
Speaker 3: Farewell, then we shall meet again a gripper. The queen is going.
Speaker 1: Breaking off in the midst of his flirtation.
Speaker 4: Eh oh uh, good boy.
Speaker 1: Stamping her foot charmian. Charmian jumps up, kisses her hand to Agrippa, and follows her mistress out looking after her.
Speaker 4: That's a pretty little binks.
Speaker 1: Octavian, who has seated himself verily on the throne.
Speaker 3: Is she I didn't notice cesareans fled. So I suppose it's a great nuisance. We must find him. Will you see about it?
Speaker 4: If you wish it? What shall I do with him?
Speaker 3: In his dared voice, better put him to death. It will save a lot of trouble in the end.
Speaker 4: But the boys your own cousin.
Speaker 3: Yes, I have always disliked my relations.
Speaker 4: I begin to think you are a genius. Caesar, after all.
Speaker 3: I am much good. It does me. I'd give my genius for your digestion any day.
Speaker 1: Leans back on throne and closes his eyes. Enter Charmin hurriedly, looking pale and disheveled.
Speaker 2: Help help.
Speaker 1: The queen is dying, edly opening his eyes.
Speaker 3: Stop that noise, girl, you make my headache.
Speaker 2: She is dying. I tell you. She has taken poison, exit squealing poison.
Speaker 4: By Jove, confound it. She must do that much.
Speaker 1: She is about to Folo Charmian.
Speaker 3: Why not? It seems to me an excellent arrangement. Very thoughtful of her, very thoughtful, and consider it.
Speaker 4: But we want her for that triumph of yours.
Speaker 3: Ah, never mind, After all, what is a triumph disagreeable for her? A bore for us? Let her die now by all means, if she prefers it.
Speaker 4: Don't you try to be magnanimous too. Leave that to your uncle. He did it better.
Speaker 3: My dear Grippa, how stupid you are. What possible use can a quite plain and middle aged lady be in a triumphal procession? If Claoparter were still attractive, I should say, save her by all means, As she isn't. Whoh ooh, I think we may let her die her own way without being charged with excessive magnanimity.
Speaker 4: Still, I should have liked to have seen her brought to Rome.
Speaker 3: Ah, I shall be quite contented to see her comfortably in her coffin in Egypt. Will let her be buried beside Antony. It will gratify the Egyptians, and it won't hurt us. See to it. There's a good fellow.
Speaker 1: Exit Agrippa. Octavian leans back and falls asleep on the throne. End of Octavian and Cleopatra