Speaker 1: Before we begin today's episode, we'd like to provide a brief clarification on behalf.
Speaker 2: Of my co host Ryan.
Speaker 1: While today's discussion takes place within the context of a podcast that focuses on LGBTQ plus lifestyle topics, perspectives, and experiences, Ryan wishes to note that he personally identifies as heterosexual. His appearance on this program is intended to support open dialogue, shared understanding, and respectful conversation across different communities and perspectives. His participation should not be interpreted as a representation of his own sexual orientation, but rather as an effort to engage thoughtfully and constructively with the topics being discussed. We appreciate the importance of transparency and authenticity for our audience and our guests alike, and we thank you for joining this conversation and always wanting food off culture chaos.
Speaker 2: And you saved me.
Speaker 3: Like a lost Christ streams your glass sales, got the words that builds the last.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Cuffs Basement. I'm your co host who is not as straight as Ryan uh Tim, and I am with.
Speaker 2: My co host, the one straight, Ryan McDonald. How are you doing?
Speaker 1: Ryan?
Speaker 4: Great to be here how are you guys.
Speaker 1: And CC, you're probably gonna hear it, So we're doing it early today and you're probably gonna hear a CEC running around, which makes me so angry because I told Shannon she's watching CEC alone so we can do the podcast. I said, I should be able to hear a pin drop in this house. But we have a very special topic and very special guests for this series and this month we do it every year to celebrate Pride Month. We have the newly Married, which is so wonderful. I'm major round of applause for that sound effect. It is Mark Fulcini and Refall. I don't know how to say your last name. Welcome back, Welcome back to the podcast.
Speaker 5: Good to be again, back back back again.
Speaker 1: Back back back again. Thank you so much for returning as our resident experts on being gay to do the Gayest series we do all year, every month for the past, every Pride month for the past.
Speaker 2: I don't even know how.
Speaker 1: Many years, because we did it before we start doing.
Speaker 2: It with Fall, so do you know how many years we've been doing it?
Speaker 5: Mark, I feel like this is our maybe or is it for the Ryan for this is the third one with me. The third one was with you. Okay, so we're four.
Speaker 1: I think I think five sounds right. The gay the Gay Cinema Podcast Series or or Queer Cinema Podcast Series is I think we changed it last year, but we're going with a theme this year. So normally we always just pick.
Speaker 2: We decided like.
Speaker 1: Any you know, pick anything within the community of LGBTQ. Plus it can be any movie you want. Rafall refuses to pick an American movie, but I found out a loophole that would force him to pick an American movie this year, and uh, we are only covering films made by the director John Waters. John Waters is an American director from Baltimore, Maryland, who is openly gay and includes many themes of gay, lesbian, trans.
Speaker 2: But also just like Serial Killers.
Speaker 1: Serial Killers. We did cover John waters movie already, which was Serial Mom. But Mark, describe, yeah, describe John Waters and your your history with him, and how if you if an alien landed on Earth and was like, describe John waters movies to me, what would you.
Speaker 5: Say, Oh, that's actually a really difficult question. Yeah, yeah, because actually, like also I think that our picks, I mean three are in a certain style of John Waters, and then one is a more of his like mainstream like for a kind of main audience, but it still has a similar theme. And he's kind of just absurd. He's making he's counterculture, he's making fun of just the absurdity of life. I think, especially in this period I think where he grew up, like in the fifties and also in the sixties, he kind of it seems like he goes back to that period a lot in his movies. But yeah, John Waters. My I was thinking about, like how I like my first interaction with John Waters, and I remember specifically it was with Hairspray. I think I was at like my I was with my family. We went to like a friend's house or was at my grandparents and I was alone in the living room watching TV and Hairspray was on, and it was my first experience. And at the beginning of Hairspray, John Waters has a cameo which I did not realize at the time he was the director of the movie. But he's just like he flashes Ricky Lake and he has like this very you know, pencil thin mustache, and he like that's I think stuck with me. And I just remember I don't know if I knew he was like the director of these movies, but I just knew him as the sort of pop culture character. And it wasn't actually till I think later in life that I realized his kind of you know, collection of movies he's made and really like dove deep into them.
Speaker 2: Have myself on mute.
Speaker 1: I think that John Waters is a unicorn and that there's there's no other director that's like him, and specifically because he goes from the absolute fringe of the fringe, craziest shit that you could possibly imagine, two very mainstream, like appearing on The Simpsons, appearing on Saturday Night Live. Hairspray is probably the most like famous mainstream movie he ever made, and it was also remade where John Travolta plays the divine. Wait, it was a Ricky Lakes roller.
Speaker 2: Divine's role is Divine in Hairspray.
Speaker 5: I've never seen it divin Hapray, Yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: I've actually I've never seen Hairspray and Rafall. I don't know if they have. I don't know how popular a mainstream The Simpsons was when you were growing up in Poland. I don't I don't even know if you had a television, I'm you've probably lived in like some sort of ramshackle hut in the woods. But did you watch The Simpsons growing up with Fall?
Speaker 2: I absolute okay.
Speaker 1: So one of the best Simpsons episodes of all time is about Homer coming to grip with being okay with home sexuality and he befriends a guy named John who's played by John Waters.
Speaker 2: This was my introduction to John Waters.
Speaker 1: So John Waters is like kind of playing himself and he befriends Homer Simpson and then Homer realizes he's gay, and he's very not okay with this, and then by the end of the episode he like comes to grips with it and realizes I'm being stupid. But uh, it's like definitely probably inappropriate to watch now and people would find it defensive, but it is so good.
Speaker 2: So that was my introduction to John Waters.
Speaker 1: And then I saw Cereal Mom when I was very young, and that was you know, we.
Speaker 2: Already covered that movie.
Speaker 1: But Rafall, were you familiar with John Waters at all? And like, had you seen a lot of his stuff?
Speaker 2: What you know, what's your history with him?
Speaker 6: Actually not until I started watching Group Poles, Drag Race and the franchise altogether. So this was actually kind of, you know, this introduction through the points of reference like that we're kind of popping up in however, many episodes of Repulse rag Race, probably in every single one of those, and I remember I was actually back then in Canada. It was twenty eighteen, and we were probably watching with a friend of mine with whom I was actually living back then. Yet another episode and I think I just random the ask, listen, what is this reference actually about? Like what's going on here? And then he's like, wait, haven't you seen that? And I was like, well no in the first place, first of all, what is it? What is that thing that I haven't actually seen? And secondly know what happened? So when do we do that? And this was the first time we actually kind of got to got me to see any John Waller's film, which I believe was actually being Flamingos.
Speaker 1: We'll talk about my history of that movie later on in the series. But another pivotal this is a movie we're not going to be talking about. Another pivotal experience in my life was I'm always as if you listen to the podcast like and Mark obviously knows more than anyone. I love to push the envelope of what is appropriate. And when I came of age, when I was over seventeen, the first NC seventeen theatrical release after I had turned seventeen was A Dirty Shame. So I made Andy go see it because he was like, what is this? Who's John Waters? And I was like, this is the first NC seventeen movie that has been released in theaters in like years, so I'm going to see this. Ryan.
Speaker 2: What is your history with John Waters?
Speaker 4: I think somewhere like where you guys say knowing being aware of him as like a public figure before the movies. I think my first like knowledge of him was Bride of Chucky. He plays like a photographer that they horribly kill, and like seeing his name in the credits and I was like, Oh, this is the guy that they always reference. And then like he does a lot of like talk show appearances and stuff like that because he's like a really big, like again persona. And then I think the first one I actually saw was A Dirty Shame, and it was this big like, Oh, he's kind of going back and doing what he was kind of famous for. And then Hairspray used to be on Comedy Central a lot. I think it was one of the few of his movies that like they probably could play without a lot of censorship. So he's just I've seen that one a few times on TV and then yeah, then I told you this a few days ago. But I think he was one of the last directors where like when I was buying like DVDs constantly, I was like, buy everything he's made, watch all of it, and then like listen to his commentaries because he's just a fascinating speaker to listen to to. He's such a great personality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think that, you know, going back to me saying he was he's a unicorn. I truly don't understand how how he is so mainstream. I'm glad he is, but I and I don't know how to describe John Waters. Really, it's really really difficult. But he says in Ryan let me borrow his DVD of Pink Flamingos, and after in the actual runtime of the movie, at the end of the movie, because it was I think the twentieth anniversary, there's like a little monologue he gives and he was he basically said that, you know, hippies were trying to freak out the squares, and we were trying to freak.
Speaker 2: Out the hippies.
Speaker 1: So like, if you think your counterculture.
Speaker 2: You have not watched these films.
Speaker 1: You don't know what counterculture is. And obviously a lot of that is rooted in LGBTQ themes and how non mainstream they were, especially back when he started making movies. But it's not just about that. It's also just about like pushing the envelope and like, you know, being absurd for the sake of being absurd, if that makes sense. He also even being a gay man I've discussed before, he's obsessed with breasts, which I appreciate and I've always heard that that like that, you know, oh gay men still appreciate boob. So John Waters is living proof. And I met John Waters. I lived in Baltimore for I've told this story on the pod before, but for those that don't remember, I lived in Baltimore for years and I had never seen him. I didn't even know if he still lived there, and he, uh, there was a skateboard theme bar, because again Baltimore is weird and the best way, and I was at the skateboard theme bar. It was called Johnny Rad's and I was there one week night. One week night, it was not crowded. John Waters walked in and I turned and saw him and said, very loudly, holy shit, that's John Waters, because he's.
Speaker 2: Like a hero of mine.
Speaker 1: And then he very abruptly turned and walked out when he heard.
Speaker 2: Me say that.
Speaker 1: So that was my encounter with John Waters in real life. But rafall I also wanted to ask you you were introduced one of the ugliest accents in the entire world, which is the Baltimore accent. I can't imagine you were familiar with it, but to describe it, it's like a hard o's Like instead of saying like the Orioles they call the o's, they say the a's, like I'm going him, and instead of water they say water. So have you have you experienced that mid Atlantic Baltimore accent at all our fall.
Speaker 6: To be quite honest, not much. I think I'm actually kind of stuck on the Paris saltanfe Cali at the moment. Once in a while, I'll listen to Mark speak to his parents, which obviously after ten seconds of conversations, which is to the very deep Boston and otherwise I think with true Bloods, it's been Louisiana blood.
Speaker 2: We can walk me through that love that that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, It is truly not. It is an ugly, ugly accent. But yeah, they say Orioles are the O's and then the Baltimore beer is called Natty Bow. So to go to an Orioles game, you go to the O's and drink bows. So they say, like, what are you doing this weekend? Bos and aves? It's it's an awful disaster of an accent. But you know, I think we should just talk about so we didn't cover We're not covering Hairspray. I still have never seen Hairspray. It's a little too normal for me. But we're going to talk first about his most normal movie of all time other than Hairspray, which is cry Baby's starring Johnny Depp. So I think a lot of folks, if they haven't seen cry Baby, they're just they know it existed. If they grew up in the nineties, they remember coming out, they saw the poster with Johnny deppbeat like as a greaser. So we're gonna we're gonna just pause it right here for a moment. And then the next thing you will hear will be us covering crybaby, directed by John Waters,