Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to pictures.
Speaker 2: Media Radio. Welcome to policy and rights shows. Welcome to policy and human Joys.
Speaker 3: How realistic is it to get a deal by August first, Well.
Speaker 4: That depends, and there's two sides to a deal.
Speaker 5: We will obviously we're working on behalf of Canadians and we will agree a deal if there's one on the table that is in the best interests of Canadians, just as the United States will do in the look for the best interests of the US. There have been a series of discussions. Senior ministers have been in Washington. They'll be returning, mister Leblac for example, We'll be in Washington for the balance of the week, as will be my chief of staff, other officials for those discussions. But you know, they're complex negotiations and we'll use all the time that's necessary and agree something that's in the interests of Canadians if that's a bill.
Speaker 2: Okay, welcome back to policy and right here in depends Media Radio. I'm your host, Michael Cloggs. So there has been a Premier's meeting or first Minister's meeting as is also it's called UH in Ontario hosted of course by Doug Ford if it was in Ontario, and we are going to actually hear from Doug Ford as he speaks about issues of UH that he expects to see from the federal government. He expects to see a more responsive and in available immigration system. He expects that immigration system to respond to the needs of the economy and to allow for work permits and for foreign workers to be to to happen. He said that at one point that.
Speaker 6: The Foreign Immigration, the Immigration Minister and the the Prime Minister, we're not exactly on the same page, and that could be a problem.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 2: Hell, mister Ford is expecting that a united front. He I gotta hand it to Doug Ford on the on this one that he he does actually preach, Hey, let's have a united Canadian front. Let's have a have unity between all the provinces so that we can all join together and work together and and build a great spot in in this planet Earth. He has, he has a lot of uh A good point with that. I don't always agree with how he goes about those things, but at least he's speaking out and trying to promote a united Canada rather than a divided Canada that we try to figure out what the key issue are and work on those key issues rather than always well, it is a democracy, so there's always going to be debate. There's always going to be opposition versus moving forward and and the and that comes at a great balance so that we're moving forward in the best interests of the people, the land, and all of those other beings that really can't speak for themselves. That we that that we as Canadians stick to the idea of stewardship to the rest of nature. Also, so there's always going to be there's always going to be debate about how to do that and there and but as long as we stay united on on some of those on those key things, those key ideas, that we're going to build a great country. Okay, there's also gonna be some debate over pipelines. No one's actually talking directly about the pipelines, but we know that the pipeline projects are a priority. They're trying not to talk about it too much in public because of the environmental things. Let's face it, there is no pipeline in the world that does not leak. There is no pipeline in the world that doesn't cause eventually caused some sort of environmental disaster in some place. If you think that, think that you're living in a dream world. If you think that, oh, the pipelines have to be absolutely safe, they don't disperse hazardous material along the way they do, and they do it in in map massive doses. When it happens, it is a massive dose. It makes if if you remember the town by the lake in I think it was in Quebec that was decimated because of a railcar accident. If you think that was bad, let a pipeline go wrong and they will hide the disaster. But let's move forward with this, okay, because there's other issues at hand that really need to be addressed and really need to be talked about. And we're gonna hear Mark Carney talk about the tariff issues between the US and Canada, because well, let's face it that the person who is sitting in the Oval office in the White House, he's greedy and he wants his tariff money. He wants it now. So the question is by August first, and well i'm recording this it is January twenty third, will there be a deal on the table that will be suitable for Canada to sign off on. That is always going to be a big question is there going to be a deal put in place that will allow for that. Interestingly enough that and I think maybe mister Trump is suffering from dementia on this one, because the US, Canadian and Mexican trade deal that he says it's so horrible that Biden put together it was so horrible, was actually put together by him. He wrote that deal out, He negotiated that deal and put it in place, and Biden simply said, it looks good, so let's keep going with it. Trump put the deal in place that eliminated a lot of the tires between Canada, the United States, and Mexico. He put the put together the deal that would have the three countries working together as a united front in North America. Wasn't Biden. He did it. So now that if the deal is no good, he made the deal to begin with. He was the one who put the deal in place. So as he's from front dementia and he's forgetting that he's the one who did it anyway. Okay, So Mark Karney is going to say that that there is going to need to be a deal put in place that is worthy of Canada's signing off on worthy of his minister's signing off on and he said Minister of Lebronc is actively working on that before August first. And one of the big things is, Okay, there's this statistic out there and I don't know I'm going to quote this statistic, but don't beat me up because I haven't actually fact checked this, because I do know that a good bit of Alberta oil gets sent to Asia for refinement and then sent back to to the West coast of Canada in the in the form of gasoline. Gasoline is not just fuel. There's a lot of other uses for gasoline in plastics and in making nylon and other polymers that we can that we can think of. Because gasoline is now a refined product that can be they can be produced into other things. So don't think that, oh, it's being set back to us just for fuel. That isn't exactly always true. There's other manufacturing ideas and things do get manufactured here in Canada, so that's that's not true. And polymers do get do get built here in Canada. So so in in order to do that from the petroleum, you need to convert it to clean it up so that it can be used as gasoline. Okay, the end of the chemistry lesson. So the statistic is should there be more refineries because ninety seven percent of the of the bitriment that is drilled out of Alberta Tarzans is being sent to the United States. I will say this much though, that we need more trade partners for the resources that Canada is shipping out. We need to ship to other countries besides the United States. And that's just smart business as as things go. That you can't own a business only have one customer, that customer dies out, you're simply put your out of business. If you're a consultant and you only have one client, you're technically an employee to that one client. And if that client leads you or eliminates you're you're out of out of out of business. If you're out of work, you have to go drum up business from other places. That's exactly what Canada needs to do. It needs to find ways to drum up business from other places, other countries. And if it is true that just in one day that Mark Carney took eighty calls for other countries that want to do business with Canada, let's do that work with those countries, see what we can get, what we can sell, what we can trade. How it can all work out, because if the United States, mister Trump is going to keep threatening, threatening, and then removing tariffs, and it is not about doing business. It is about him wanting control. He wants to control the world's markets, and that's how he's going to do it is by threatening tariffs. Everybody jumps up, Oh my god, the United States is going to teriff us. If we take a step back and we reconsider and limit his ability to make us jump up and scream, oh my god, he's hitting us with a tariff. If we do that, it takes a wind out of his sales. So anyway, but the main thing about this Premiere summit is this is that they were trying to find a way to cause the United Front for Canada. They were trying to promote projects across Canada in order to make a stronger infrastructure and one pipelines to move oil products across back and forth across the country for trade purposes or for fuel purposes, and building refineries that they also wanted to bring to bring back to the table again. First Nations issues, what about Indigenous rights. What about building an indigenous infrastructure so that the real stewards of the land can step forward and help make sure that these infrastructure projects are going the right way. And that was the real purpose of this particular summit there is we're going to go on and on about trade things which we need to trade. We're going to go on and on about the pipelines. Pipelines may not be the absolute answer, but it is an answer for helping Alberta get the bitumen and oil products from Alberta. To say, quote back, it is an answer. So all answers need to be looked at and talked about, right, Okay, that was part of the purpose of this summit is to talk about these things. So we are you're gonna also hear if you're listening to the podcast, you're gonna hear Davy eb He makes a statement about about British Columbia because, let's face it, British Columbia is one of the with the softwood lumber thing is one of the biggest resource producers for Canada. Everybody wants to talk about the oil softwood lumber. He is too far behind, guys, So David eb He steps up to the table, and he talks about the softwood lumber and how to ensure that that softwood lumber get sold around the world for a construction purposes. Now, the logging industry does need to be monitored. It's the same as the mining of the bitumen in Alberta. It needs to be monitored to make sure that we're doing it responsible, respectfully and leading back to again the idea of indigenous rights to the land. They are going to ensure that we are doing things in a respectful way. So there's a lot of talk about indigenous partners. Let's see they actually do it all right, why don't we move forward? And we're just gonna take it from Doug Ford him talking at the end of the three days, and we will hear other parts of and opinions about the meeting, such as Tom Houston as he chimes in about what happened at the Premier's meeting, and of course Mark Karney talking about the summer. And he's also going to answer some questions about other issues with Canada and at the United States.
Speaker 4: Time.
Speaker 8: Good afternoon, everyone, Thank you for joining today's news conference. Bion Venia said, conference Press. We will start out today with remarks from the chair of the Council Federation Ontario Premier Doug Ford, followed by remarks in French by the Premier of Quebec, Francois Lugo. We will then take questions from media. It is my pleasure to now introduce the Premier of Ontario, Doug Ford.
Speaker 9: Well, thank you so much. I just want to start by thanking my fellow premiers. I always say I have a team of champions. For such a positive and productive meeting over the last few days, I'm proud to stand shoulders shoulder with my fellow premiers as Team Canada. And it's never been more important and never been more united since I've been premier for the last over seven big years. Over the last three days, Canada's premiers have worked hard to move forward on our shared priorities. We've met with the indigenous leaders and frontline healthcare workers. We sat down with Prime Minister Carney and that's the first time that's happened to discuss ongoing negotiations with the US and how we're working together to build a stronger, more competitive economy. We met as premiers and talked about the issues that matter most to the people we serve. We talked about standing up for workers in the fame of President Trump's tariffs. We talked about cutting red tape, opening internal markets, and building a stronger, more self reliant economy. We talked about the need for real bail reform that keeps criminals behind bars and keeps our community safe. Prime Minister Carney has made it very clear in the comments to premiers and will be holding him accountable on bail reform. Premiers are also calling for a stronger provincial role in immigration for one simple reason, we know our labor markets best. At our first minister's meetings. Prime Minister Carney agreed yesterday at a meeting of federal and provincial immigration ministers, the federal immigration minister wasn't on the same page as her Prime minister. We need the Prime Minister to be very very clear with his minister. She needs to work with the provinces and territories to fix Canada's immigration system and make it more responsive to economic and market needs. In the meantime, Canada's premiers agreed to work together to use our authorities under Section ninety five of the Constitution, including to issue our own work permits. I'll speak for Ontario we will be issuing our own work permits. We are going to sit around and wait for the federal government. On healthcare, we're making it easier for nurses and doctors to move and work anywhere in Canada. We also talked about new ways to get life saving medications into the hands of patients faster. But most importantly, we agreed on the need to remain united. And I've always said united, we stand, divided, we fall. I don't wearn great hands. Under the leadership a Pei Premier Rob Lance, who will soon take over as Chair of the Council of Federation, with the United Team Canada approach, we're going to build and protect the True North, strong and free. Thank you very much, and make God bless the people of Canada.
Speaker 8: Thank you. Premier Judoon men la parol or Premier Minister u Quebec monsieur we.
Speaker 10: Bontu ton la premier messi messi a dog Ford for lace mess dog Ford sapris.
Speaker 4: Down so called.
Speaker 10: Move monty evic IV that Donald Trumprod.
Speaker 4: Don't care on.
Speaker 10: A bone, leadership la Park, the dog Ford, the peer turjou on don't book.
Speaker 4: Partly the impact.
Speaker 10: The tariff Wood Lancet stood Keith and Ave Donald Trump on cas on concrete, the community tact on cas Primi Minister Canada on appally died travayar on a parly the towns, the design vests major asam the province. There the guanoma frederalp redi uh his son poor re perdue then live liz Uni on appally commerce entire provincial. If the man that taxi he reads you mar she americane plus k made two di premiminis the province de tetoir the augmented, the change comes you and the libaria profety the marchide Karati millon person Oh no you see Paris Migracion. If the instruss and kids fair round so lonely province may consensus posic gouno main federal do what the name plus the poor who province a schu a la slex number my grant oh Quebec sagut lady fi directed declaimed Francis don't care. We on a certain poar o Quebec manuci on man book plus the poor poor rizel and nom dem grant and para Montreal laval on apple robe with the sati and continued the domadi you amants on the transfer Sti Guanama Federal Guanama, Federal Nepa, than finance man the service, the Sarti mount pluvid totals of the pants I calls these impacts the populacy on the Woom meets camera, novel technology Finale, man On apparently, the security public on vocal Guanoma, federa.
Speaker 4: Avan, the remed.
Speaker 10: Liberti, the del Sexuel, the Jean key On Ferdi Zach Dick Kirim Villa Stein part paida population on the the the the tempe plud, the conci, the diberas ujure Finale, Manu c sweat Te so don't rob Lance, the premiers, the leads, Prince at archy, a song to a price Downce Black confiance l don't don't bunch ouce Rabbi mer accept this at responsibility.
Speaker 8: Merci, monsieur le premier ministro. We will now move to media questions, starting with media who are present, followed by questions for those tending virtually. Please come to the microphone, state your name outlet and direct your question to one premier. Just a reminder you will be limited to one question only.
Speaker 11: First question, Father Mackenzie Gray with Global News Premier Smith, you and a number of premiers have said that you were going to speak with Premier ib about the idea of getting an oil pipeline through BC and wondering how those conversations went, and mister Bbia hope you could respond to how you feel those went. And I want to follow up on something you said yesterday too. You said you'd be support of a potential oil pipeline through Alberte if Miss Smith was able to profind a proponent for that. I just want to clarify you'd be open to having a pipeline going through BC if there was a company that was willing to do that.
Speaker 4: I'll start because I know that.
Speaker 12: Maybe the media isn't aware of how many areas of common ground that Premier eb and I have. We have talked about ammonia.
Speaker 4: Export from them.
Speaker 12: Porter Prince Rupert very supportive of the LNG expansions that are underway as well as additional new LNG proposals. We have talked about an interertie so that we can have our electricity systems with greater integration, and of course expanding the capacity of the Trans Mountain Pipeline by putting in additional measures compression and a few other things. They can actually expand the capacity as well as judging the second narrows, and we've been supportive of that as well. So I would say that what we're looking forward to is a potential to restart what I think have been a transformational project with Northern Gateway. May not be the same route, it may need it certainly needs to have a lot more consultation. The first time that it went through it had thirty five indigenous partners who were equity owners in that and that has to be the starting point for any new project. There has to be meaningful engagement and meaningful economic involvement of nations. So we're advancing that along with the pathways project because we think that having lower and lower emissions is also a way to demonstrate some of that. We've listened to some of the concerns about that have been raised by British Columbia. But I would say that our priority is to work on those first four projects that I mentioned, and then if we can get to a point where we have a proponent and are able to start on that, then we will.
Speaker 4: Thanks very much for the question.
Speaker 13: Let me just begin. We're facing a bit of a situation in British Columbia right now. At our Red cris mine in northwest British Columbia, there was an act accident overnight. There are three miners that are currently trapped underground. They are, to the best of our knowledge, uninjured and in a refuge area. There was early communication with the company. The company is working with our world leading mining rescue teams. BC miners are the best in the world. Our rescue teams are exceptional and they will be working over time to bring these workers home safely to their families. Two of the workers are from British Columbia, one is from Ontario. I've spoken with Premier Ford and we're keeping his government up to date as well. Obviously, it's very concerning for the families, for the workers in the sector and all British Columbians and Canadians, and our thoughts are with the families and appreciation with the incredibly brave rescue teams that are working right now. On your question, I agree strongly with Premier Smith that we have a huge amount of work to do that is going to create incredible economic opportunity for our two provinces. It is without doubt we have our points of disagreement, but there are far more points of agreement in terms of how we're going to build our economies and our respective provinces. My focus as the BC Premier is on projects that we have where we're either imminent in terms of final investment decision or final investment decision has been taken, and we need a strong federal partner to be able to support us in delivering those projects. North of fifty billion dollars worth of projects and our province alone, and what I've encouraged the Prime Minister and Premier Smith to do about their project that they're excited about is to identify a proponent and to move forward with that if that is the direction that they'd like to go. I will acknowledge some frustration that we have so many projects that are either imminent shovel in the ground projects, or with a small amount of support from the federal government would be ready to go, and a lot of the discussion is around this project that does not currently have a proponent. So let's get working on what we can do to build this country and build our economy. And when Premier Smith and the Prime Minister are in position with a proponent were absolutely willing to have those conversations with them.
Speaker 7: Hi there, Kate mcckenna with CBC. This is for Premier Ford. Premier Ford, I'm wondering if you could expand on some of what you were talking about regarding the conflicts between the federal government and the provinces over immigration. What exactly is the issue and what did the federal minister say?
Speaker 9: Well, I wouldn't say it's a conflict. The conversation we had with a Prime minister is very open and under the constitution that I have to thank Premier Smith for mentioning we have authority in that area. No one understands their sectors and their labor force better than the premiers. And by no means, I want to emphasize, it's no means the Prime Minister's well, this is issue right now, but this has been going on for decades. I'll give you an example. I have a tremendous amount of asylum seekers that are up in the Tobocco and in the hotels. They're healthy, they're willing to work, they're hard working people, but they're waiting over two years and they're just sucking off the system NonStop. Not their fault the fault falls under immigration that it takes over two years to get a work permit. So as we're paying, paying, education, paying healthcare, paying, they're renting hotels, which is exorbeignant. They want to get out there and they want to be like every other Canadian. They want to find a job. They want to be able to first start off fronting whatever a condo or part of a house and then buying a house. But we're tired of waiting around. I can't wait around. It's costing our province an absolute fortune. Just last year we were close to one hundred thousand itlum seekers and I'm still waiting to get to pay, you know, get paid back from the federal government. That's one issue. But there's jobs available in Ontario and we need to give them work permits and make sure that they're out there working and contributing back to society.
Speaker 4: I'm not waiting any longer.
Speaker 9: We're issuing work permits in Ontario for these folks to give back and contribute to society in in Ontario.
Speaker 14: Pule de Voire, Machaison, minist Legos and Premier Reunionist from com Commune and community certain generality. I'm in the demand you put the transfer exempion mandi bali province Yeah, don't do a carney. The Philistatian super.
Speaker 10: Lets Spansk daba on aula chance dab dup said they call the un man plus and mijorveka Primige Canada Spansk down last two l s Dabo your digs on you clisitors. You need a vacan objective the potential premieuse even hundred pross normal convey brand. Mister Carna, who want any around zoo the lenig visitors need. If the man who sees suit u u tariff balence stood creat mister trump on vu meta plants de proje major dont conulas on the parlad the project and they found the project dnu par the project and the minero critsic launchpansker. If the man the travai come outs the scoot tailor uh EFFECTI sand count on un mandate ramping or continue than mand this jipop con center rose conver rapp in man may ver o moin laid exci quit premise assigned person support thue a tat On Palette media who betrayed Quebec Ravens kid to the raven Union name Province plus the pegall federal and repo e value lestra the de madadzil so complete my potbo sprint for example, evalue and here a lock down, don't pay come la france a more panas.
Speaker 4: It was and it's only province payper this service.
Speaker 10: Pier two doesn't stress and audiences capacity action manager Zeta tuler mangdol man mango plaza is the called man dangna mand infernia pa new or no like declaimed France, don jeta killed guano federal red on the letter it was a at one more don't care she come in the collect he reverse sounds.
Speaker 2: So take it Acada from CBC.
Speaker 7: I'm wondering if you could reflect on how these teriff threats have affected federal provincial relations in Canada.
Speaker 15: I think the the the impact of the tariff situation, the whole negotiation, it's it's it's it's a really hard thing for Canadians. Obviously Canadians are galvanized, and I would definitely say that it has uh it's brought the federal government and the provincial governments. I would say closer closer together. It's it's it's really we all see the opportunities that we have before us to make for a stronger country. We're all pushing in that direction. So we've had some really positive meetings today and over the last couple of days actually, and I think everyone is really united and on the same page of just really seizing the opportunities that are before us that in the past we may have looked away from that. Right now we're all looking square.
Speaker 11: We at hyper Mackenzie Gray with Global News, we heard Doug Ford this morning talk about the idea that there should be dollar for dollar retaliatory tariffs against the Americans. On the flip side, both got Mow and Daniel Smith say that we shouldn't retaliate, that the impact of tariff's on American consumers is what should push forward. What's your position, how should KNADA push back?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think look, there's there's h there's people at the at the negotiating table that have more information and you know they're they're kind of working to a strategy. What I would say is I actually have tremendous confidence in the Prime Minister and and the team that is representing us as Canadians to look at all of the the factors and the moving parts and come up to the best deal for Canadians. So I think it's just really important that we keep moving for what is the best possible deal for Canadians, and and and all the while knowing that the the US administration changes their thoughts on things quite frequently. So I know that it's a difficult position for our negotiating team, for our Prime minister. But I have a tremendous faith in the team that's representing us to get the best deal, and that's where my focus is.
Speaker 16: Hello Premier Michael Sapio with SEPAC. You know, this is the third time the first ministers have been able to get together since Mark Karney became Prime Minister won the election. I'm wondering concretely on an economic front, what has been achieved by these meetings. Either the challenge economically for many Canadians is immediate, what has been achieved with these meetings?
Speaker 15: First off, isn't it great? Like these these are such important relationships for Canadians, and we're all kind of binding together and spending time together to really understand the sensitivities that we have in our own areas. But but also the the as I talked about, the opportunities so I think, you know, for the for the Prime Minister and his team, the passage of you know, Bill C five is significant for for for myself and other premiers. You know, we're doing what weekend in terms of the intraverential trade trade variers. So there's a lot of concrete action in just those two things. But but the spill down from those two things is very significant. But the the the major projects that nation building projects everyone a termat, there's a lot of them, certainly in Nova Scotia. I'm passionate about our wind opportunity, and I think I'm actually seeing that move at a significant pace. There's lots of eyes to dot and teased across and technical analysis to happen. But the very first step is to have agreement that there's something there and getting that agreement, you know that that's something that might have taken years before, But because of the relationships that are being built, we can see where everyone stands much sooner in the process. So I think Canadians should feel proud of the way that the governments are working together, and I think Canadians should feel incredibly optimistic that they're elected officials realize the need for urgency and feel that urgency. It's still government in many ways, but I will say that that urgency has felt that. I'm personally, as a Canadian, incredibly optimistic about the future of this country right now.
Speaker 16: Do you have any idea when a deal or deals and projects might actually be chosen, highlighted and moved forward with?
Speaker 15: Yeah, I think you know, initially we talked about put some put give them some things to assess. You know, over the summer that certainly happened. There's lots of lots of potential projects and good, good ones, and I think you know, everybody is in some respects opening for the waiting for the major project's office to open that will be openly understand maybe by Labor Day, and there'll be capacity in there to really do analysis on them. So I think for me personally, I have in my mind that over over the fall, maybe early fall, would have some good clarity on the early kind of the early wins that that the governments would see for our country. So it's all happening.
Speaker 3: Mickey here with Politico following today's update from the Prime Minister. How realistic is it that we will get a deal by August first?
Speaker 4: I haven't been and focused on the date.
Speaker 15: I think, you know sometimes and there was there was some discussion at the table today from others as well, kind of share that the ideas get the best deal. And I would be worried that if we constrain ourselves that we have to get a deal by a certain date, that we maybe have to, you know, maybe do some things, or give up some things, or we give up some leverage that we might not otherwise have to if we just focus on getting the best deal. So I think it's just really important that we get the best deal for Canadians. And I'm personally not focused on the date.
Speaker 3: And is there what else can the federal government be doing that they aren't?
Speaker 15: As I said, I have great confidence and you know, certainly Minister of a Blog is all in on this. Number of his cabinet colleagues are. But I you know, just the the the abilities of the Prime minister are something that I'm I'm I'm confident.
Speaker 17: In high Premier Houston Olivia Spianovich CBC News. What does the best deal look like to you? Does it involve no tariffs? Do we have to give up something else?
Speaker 15: Well, I mean, obviously you know no tariffs is is great, but we're not in that world right now. You look at what's what the president has happened, is doing what he's what he's pushing forward as his agenda. So we have to we just have to be open minded about what that might look like. But again there's many moving.
Speaker 4: Parts to that.
Speaker 15: I think the the Kuzma Carbotkusma is really important to our country, So keeping that intact is really really important, and the rest will all kind of fall into place.
Speaker 17: And how much longer should we be until we see more retaliation? How much longer are you going to give the Americans?
Speaker 15: Well it's not just me that makes that decision, but but but I think, look, we have to be we have to be conscious of the impact on retaliation on our own economy, because there is one as well. So so it's finding that balance about, you know, making sure that the President understands we're an important customer of the United States. We are, and we're good friends and long standing allies, but but also that you know we're not. We can't just be pushed around either. So there's finding that balance between you know, pushing back a little bit but but never losing sight of what the ultimate goal is and that's the best possible deal under the circumstances that we face. You know, we didn't we didn't initiate this as a country win start this. We're just we're just having to deal with what's in front of us, and I'm actually proud of the way that it's being dealt.
Speaker 18: With High Premier how high Colin Demello from Global News. There are going to be a lot of competing projects, a lot of competing interests in front of the federal government. Did you get any clarity today in terms of how they're going to prioritize all the convening projects from the provinces.
Speaker 15: It wasn't like everyone has the best project. I know, why not when West is the best project and the energy like that, but others that theirs is the best. So but I mean, this will be the Major Project's Office.
Speaker 4: We'll be looking.
Speaker 15: At, you know, impact on national GDP. We'll be looking at, you know, the best bang for the buck for the country. So I know they'll have their criteria there that devisass it and it'll be up to It'll be up to us, as you know, the the advocates for these projects to make our case. So I know that I have some work to do and to build up my business case, and others do as well. But I think as a country, we should feel good about the opportunity that is before is because it is very significant.
Speaker 18: One of the things that Premier for did You mentioned was if the thirty five percent tariffs go into effect on August first, that there should be dollar for dollar retaliatory tariffs. I'm wondering how you feel about dollar for dollar retaliatory terraffs, especially since Trump has said that he would match that with a similar kind of tariffs, and what was the temperature in the room for some kind of retaliation for teriffs.
Speaker 15: Look, I think I think for me, it's just having the ability to to step away and have confidence that the people at the table are assessing what's the best move for our country at that time. And I don't want to second guess that, and I don't want to presuppose the outcome of that, And I think there's there's lots of people that feel that way too. But I have confidence in in the Prime Minister and the and negotiating team to get the best deal for the country under very difficult circumstances. So I'm conscious of that as well. So I don't want to presuppose what that deal looks like, but just that you know, we have confidence that we're as a country being represented.
Speaker 4: In the best possible way. I feel that way right now.
Speaker 15: Thanks everyone, Thank.
Speaker 7: You m.
Speaker 2: Uh bringer ed.
Speaker 13: Hello everyone. Great to see you. It has been a productive set of meetings already for British Columbia. We had the opportunity to sign some agreements with you, with Manitoba and Ontario about getting rid of internal trade barriers, making life a little bit more affordable for Canadians, getting Ontarians access to that high quality British Columbia wine. Lots of great things to celebrate, working with the Yukon to electrify that territory and help them grow their economy, Lots of great projects on the go. Had the opportunity with the Prime Minister to discuss projects of significance and importance to British Columbia, like the northwest of our province, the mining opportunities that are there. I'm very excited about the Northwest transmission line that will electrify that and the work that we can do together, looking forward to that. While I was having a sidebar conversation with the Prime Minister, I took the opportunity to deliver a letter from Bailey McCourt's family. Bailey McCourt was murdered by her ex husband in Colonna, a horrific attack the Prime Minister has committed on multiple occasions, which I'm grateful for to bail reform and Bailey McCort's family underlying the importance of bail reform around intimate partner violence. In my opinion, and I know an opinion shared by many Canadians, there's a special place in hell for men that murder and attack their spouses or girlfriends, and ensuring that they stay behind bars and are not released to complete a cycle of violence is a priority for us, and I'm grateful to know that priority shared by the Prime Minister. Finally, I'd like to take a moment to reflect on the comments of the American ambassador recently appointed about his support for the President's comments that Canadians are mean and nasty because we are boycotting American liquor and refusing to travel to the US while they attack our sovereignty and threaten our economy through the President. You know, obviously, if you're a mean and nasty Canadian for standing up for our sovereignty and our economy and our jobs. I think those Canadians would be proud to be considered mean and nasty, but to be blunt, Americans are our friends, our colleagues, and family members in many cases. And the remarks the ambassador delivered were delivered at a conference, the Pacific Northwest Economic Region Conference. We worked in close partnership with those states for many, many years on flood mitigation, economic growth, the Cascadia Corridor. It's grown our economies. We've all benefited from it. It's an example of why we have no interest in being mean and nasty. We want to be in partnership with the Americans, and we need the President to understand the benefits the flow from working in cooperation. So with that, happy to take your questions and laforida our conversation here.
Speaker 16: Hello, Premier, maybe Michael Sarabi with seapak. Earlier today, we saw your colleagues from Saskatchewan, Alberta and Ontario announce memo Understanding Memorandi of understanding to to work towards energy corridors pipelines, and in that news conference and both the premiers of Saskatchewan and Alberta talked about the northern BC coast, say it presents the best opportunity to get oil to global markets, and they also called for once again the dropping of a number of regulations that includes the tanker ban off the BC coast. I'm wondering, given that this is the third time that the premiers the first Ministers have come together, whether you are now more open to dropping that ban, giving the support towards that and exploring the possibility of a pipeline to the BC coast up north.
Speaker 13: Well, I mean, let's look at what's happening in BC's North around energy. We have the first shipment of LERG from BC's coast. We will make a material difference in Canada's GDP, the largest private sector investment in Canadian history. The proponents are looking at a second phase right now. In terms of traditional energy projects. We also have seter Lergy and Stylism's Energy either are reaching final investment decision or in construction. So there are major energy projects that are happening that will also benefit Alberta in BC's North. For the pipeline project, the Premier Smith is a great enthusiast of a heavy oil pipeline project. There is no project, there is no proponent, there's no private sector money involved at all that I'm aware of. When Premier Smith crosses those obvious hurdles to get a project done, then let's have those conversations. But to be blunt, we have major projects that are moving ahead and that's where our focus is.
Speaker 16: Would it be easier to find an investor if the BC government we're open to actually letting that pipeline go to the BC northern coast.
Speaker 13: Well, we own an heavy oil pipeline right now as Canadians that goes to the BC coast. It's the Trans Mountain Pipeline project. It's up for sale. The federal government can't sell it. The major pipeline proponents that one would expect to be participating in the North are not, and so I think there's a reason for that. I think there's others run investment in British Columbia and Alberta. We're supportive. If Premier Smith can cross that hurdle of identifying a proponent and an actual project, then let's have a conversation. But in the meantime, we're encouraging the federal government and for ourselves, the focus is on projects with proponents that are ready to go, that are through environmental assessment, and if we do that, we can deliver some really big projects for Canada. You see, will be the economic engine, frankly of the new economy that we're building here in Canada because of our port, access, access to market, the resources we have, and we're going to facilitate access for other provinces too to get to those markets, just as we always have.
Speaker 3: Hey, Mickey with Politico here, have you brought up the issue of the ostriches with the Prime Minister and would you like to see him intervene in a way where they can be saved.
Speaker 13: No, I have not brought up that issue with the Prime Minister. I understand there was a recent court decision on that. I know for British Columbia, we don't take our public health advice from RFK and from doctor Oz. Bird flu is a very serious issue in British Columbia, and so it's obviously a challenging issue. They're beautiful birds and bird flu is a massive and profoundly concerning issue for farmers in British Columbia, and I know across Canada.
Speaker 19: Hi, I'm ir Majukidu Canada about the EMU signed with Ontario on free trade. Can you tell us a little more about what concretely will change and what timelines.
Speaker 17: Are we working with.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Absolutely, we're working with Ontario right now on a direct to consumer model.
Speaker 4: For BC.
Speaker 13: Alcohol products and Ontario alcohol products, where producers can sell directly to consumers and our respective provinces. But I mean, what I would really love with Ontario. We have an agreement, free trade agreement that works in Western Canada. It's called the New Wes Partnership. We can change the name if Ontario wants to come on board, but this is an agreement that's in place, has established standards, is working for provinces. Allows us to maintain standards around safety for workers and other protections that are necessary while facilitating free trade. And I'll be pushing Premier Ford as part of this agreement to sign on to the New West Partnership because that would be the easiest and fastest way to facilitate free trade between our provinces and as well as Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta.
Speaker 19: Have you breached that with Premiere Ford and what did he say?
Speaker 13: Yes, we have raised this issue with Premier Ford and his team, and we'll continue to do so. They're not quite ready to sign on, but I hope they will be.
Speaker 4: Hi Isaaid Colin global use.
Speaker 17: I just want to ask about the MoU on the pipelines.
Speaker 4: Were you invited to sign that at any point? No, I wasn't. Would you have if you've been invited to? I don't know what it said?
Speaker 13: Thanks everyone, Thanks very much everybody.
Speaker 5: I'm not dressed for this, Okay, Well, first, I just want to I want to thank Premier Ford for his hospitality allowing us to have a first minute meeting on top of the Council of the Federation, and also thank all the premiers and their staffs for.
Speaker 4: Addressed for this.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, first, I just want to I want to thank Premier Ford for his hospitality allowing us to have a first minister's meeting on top of the Council of the Federation, and also thank all the premiers and their staffs for the engagement work. You know, this is a united group of First Ministers, a group focused on building our country, building positively building here at home, building one Canadian economy, but also building uh nation building projects from coast to coast to coast and developing new trade relations around the world. We did have a good discussion around these ongoing negotiations with the United States, but really a large part of our exchanges traded on what we can do, what we can control, and how we can move forward. UH to the m UH, the Communists Ford for Hospitality a c the t c uh A to the communist a local leg a Fender Patio economy and Idian economy thought UH some controlled not the economic in news Avonta, the proge and you come on se that wire, the proge Alta, nasonal uh PROCESSUS, the Popact, dot com uh A in PROCESSUS in ground processes UH that were in Economy Canadia tres we and the discussion the negotiation may news A vont laxon. So this initiative not control pool Le Biennette de Cannetia. With that, I'm very pleased to take your questions.
Speaker 3: Hi, I'm mickey with Politico here.
Speaker 4: How realistic is it to get a deal by August?
Speaker 5: First, Well, that depends and then there's two sides to a deal. We will obviously we're working on behalf of Canadians and we will agree a deal if there's one on the table that is in the best interests of Canadians, just as the United States will do and the look for the best interests of the US. There have been a series of discussions. Senior ministers have been in Washington. They'll be returning, mister Labla for example, We'll be in Washington for the balance of the week, as will be my chief of staff, other officials for those discussions. But you know, they're complex negotiations and we'll use all the time that's necessary and agree something that's in the interests of Canadians. If that's a bill.
Speaker 20: Thank you, Rachel Yellow CTV News. Can you elaborate on what that means to get a good deal for Canada tangibly? What does that include? And if we can't get there, will Canada retaliate?
Speaker 5: Well, the first thing is we're working positively for a deal. Will take stock if there isn't one that works, But that depends on the overall circumstance. That's the first the elements of what's positive. And let's start from the position of you know, really the longest standing and one of the largest trading relationships in the world between Canada the United States. Relationship until recently that hadn't been terra free relationship that has many integrated sectors, including the auto sector, the steel sector, the energy sector and beyond. And so a good deal is something that preserves, reinforces and stabilizes those relationships as much as possible. A good deal is also one that doesn't tie our hands in terms of other things that we can do, so that we can pursue that positive agenda that we focus so much of our time on. And uh and and maybe just to go back to the start of of of your question, look, will we have a lot to do in this country. We have a lot positive to do in this country, building this country in a way, building one Canadian economy. We our phone is ringing off the hook from other countries who want to do more with Canada. I've had over eighty bilaterals with world leaders since i became Prime Minister. A number of those premiers have been on major trade missions. We have other things to do, and so we're going to focus more and more of our time on those positive aspects going forward.
Speaker 21: Thank you, abilities av The am a collegnikis possibility.
Speaker 5: The possibility and veras is on the negotiation complex key So the rule become us the minist La Blain p dot minist the monshefte kebinet so la.
Speaker 4: Washington.
Speaker 5: On the endom the continue the negotiation. It's on the negotiation complex, the objective make and on a fusion he charged the town enti complex a called a clear uh the government of Canada. And except the par in movies a car it's a pun objective call nimport of suits in called the Canadian Canadia.
Speaker 21: If a concern, that's a project, the so prog and not that. Yeah you need christ certain province. It was already deplar in those province. Okay, turns by it's called a clenique disease Cuny province. Come with life on distributancy.
Speaker 5: Premier see Center pros positive k kills on the Mayor project for the Canadian, the Canadia with the Idea, the province i U, the gender and the sector of prev Kids on the project last Day in Yea, the Yeah Pleasure project, Clique Pleasure Province for example Ida, the de on Look look the electrics, the Colomy Britain Nique in Laberta, in luc On telt A Northwest Fan the Putt Parget the project on the mineral Clytic, for example, made opportunity economic. Don't lettoir to get on province? Yeah they example, Yeah, the the project, uh.
Speaker 4: The Newfoundland and Laboratory.
Speaker 5: Look it back, dono sector of the energy who the projet the energy energy appell on f s A and lets win west may se levant at the west or f may say no velcos sayle the parants ed while you know sign pl plosure poge he Afender, Davan l CNN.
Speaker 4: Press. So sort of amplique com plus province and unifi be.
Speaker 5: It's the process of the question was whether or not this could divide the country, uh, because we have different parts of the country, uh, proposing different projects. And maybe I went on too long, but in effect what I was saying was that no, actually it's the contrary many For the projects to be of interest, to be of national interest, it has to benefit multiple stakeholders, multiple provinces, advance our interests, advance the interests of indigenous people, also move us towards our climate objectives. So I gave the example of an Entertai project in the northwest corner of British columb Beer, which has benefits for the Yukon, for the Northwest territories for Alberta and actually unlocks critical minerals and other investments. So that's how you see the elements of unification. There's uh the port to Port to port project that's been proposed by for the Western the four Western provinces including BC and and the territories be another example. And win West which implicates if I can put it that way all of the Atlantic provinces.
Speaker 4: Would your last question for superminis if like.
Speaker 1: Sector died poor automobile las Yeah, yeah, escrive depp industry, lucky.
Speaker 4: Riscue the well.
Speaker 5: Premier moony full of dec leu A dynamic A two. On the sector aluminium for example, pair met non.
Speaker 4: In Fort de la pri du pree aluminium.
Speaker 5: Counts lamp pacts all the moment, so situation on fluid dynamic all the moment lamp pacts associated dominium and the U S sector C the same way on the sector the lassier celad. We don't prepare the repents on the sector thatminium.
Speaker 4: I P on the sector of the.
Speaker 17: A.
Speaker 4: If if ve province to sellar arm new news on the.
Speaker 5: American copt passive, well yeah, well hello the good one.
Speaker 4: The processuse call the Americans.
Speaker 5: He doesn't in caland differ out the premier saying in Peru legal neces smon initiative to possident commanism.
Speaker 4: New ul the.
Speaker 5: Negotiation, Uh, hello, your partners, the salmon Lisians, the deadline poor, the bord leminum super challenging, may so.
Speaker 4: Or the view the more.
Speaker 5: Yeah, prow the to the perspective, the necessity sector vid.
Speaker 4: Some almost see.
Speaker 5: Letter effective Canada soba yeah de sector quisson Yeah, in fact they come and the last benningas was just well the first thing in terms of addressing affected SEC sectors, I observe that there's a different timeline for force products because it's part of a longer standing UH trade action by the United States.
Speaker 4: There's a legal process.
Speaker 5: What we're looking to do is is bring that into the same timeline, if possible as the other negotiations.
Speaker 7: UH.
Speaker 4: We should address it UH and we have proposals in order to do that.
Speaker 5: We will have to see so it could be a different deadline or timeline for addressing support for those workers. With respect to aluminum, there has the impact has been less than it has been in steel for a variety of reasons. But that's not but it's still an impact and for all these sectors in effect, as we get to the start of the next month.
Speaker 4: We'll be taking stock and looking to provide support.
Speaker 5: All of which to say, when one looks and these effectors of these sectors are very much they are affected. It's different degrees, but they are affected. As understandable, these are very large tariffs. This is very sharp change in their training relationship. But when we look at them outside of those very important sectors steel, aluminum, automobiles, forest products perspectively, copper, and pharmaceuticals, the effective tariff that faces most Canadian goods and services is very low. I just want to finish, if if I might out of yeah, to re emphasize, to reemphasize the spirit of this meeting, the substance of the meeting, and the substance of our approach, which is positive.
Speaker 4: This is about building this country.
Speaker 5: We're getting more and more concrete about how we're going to do that, and it's about building other relationships at the same time. At best, if at all possible, we would be developing, we would be developing our relationships are you know, coming to a good accord with the United States.
Speaker 4: But the importance is to build up.
Speaker 7: I'm just talking about it as in a trunk, just quickly.
Speaker 2: What happens if there's no deal in.
Speaker 5: August first, well, I mean we'll see. We're working to get the best deal for Canadians and that's the focus now. I think what's absolutely clear is we have a lot to do in this country. We have a lot to do that's positive, to build, that's becoming more concrete. Canadians are excited about that, you know, people like Canadians are. What's coming out is how fundamentally positive Canadians are. They want to build, they want to move forward, they don't want to dispute, and if if, if there's challenges south of the border with that relationship. We'll focus on what we can do in this great country. And you know, if you're if you're looking for where to spend your vacation, Canadians are spending their vacations across this great land.
Speaker 4: And I'll just this my last word.
Speaker 5: I will just give a short plug for the one Canada pass, which means that visiting it's important, visiting our national parks, visiting our museums, bringing your children, including bringing your children eighteen and under under via rail at these reduced prices or free uh. And it's a pleasure that Canadians are taking advantage of.
Speaker 4: What else, what else say? What else say to that? What else say to that? What else say?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I'll say to that?
Speaker 5: Is that Canadians are fundamentally positive people. That's that's what Canadians are. Canadians are making choices to visit this great country, spend time here with their family, with their friends.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 5: They're making choices to buy Canadian projects, products they're making, and we're making choices to build Canadian projects. That's that is that is uh, that is happy, positive, productive, and that's the true nature of Canada.
Speaker 2: May talk about it and Trump lately. After show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at Depictions Media for more information.
Speaker 4: Mhmm