Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to Castle of Horror, the show dedicated to horror movies and awesomeness. This week we have a look at the twenty twenty four horror film wear Wolves. This is episode four hundred and fifty three. Bear in mind if you haven't seen today's movie, we're going to be talking about it from the perspective of horror fans who have seen it. So warning, and I mean this spoilers ahead. This is a new movie. This thing is I mean, it's not quite as new as wolf Man, which we saw last week, but it is quite new. So morning morning from Denver, Colorado. I'm your host, Jason Henderson, publisher at castle Bridge Media, home of the Castle of Horror anthology. With me for Austin is Tony Salvaggio, lead singer and basses to the band Deserts of Mars and lead guitars to the band Rise from Fire. Say Hello, Tony, Howdy Howdy. Also in Austin, our Lover of were Wolves. Mister Drew is the writer creator of the long running underground comic Halloween Man, which you can find in Global Comics. He is a Best Writer Ringo nominee Austin Chronicle Best of Austin Award winner and a member of the Pen America Fellowship. Say Hello, Drew, Hey, Hey, fite me. And finally also in Denver color commentary from Joya Gusmann of Gusman Immigration of Denver, Say Hello, Hello, Hello Hello. All Right, So Werewolves This is a twenty twenty four and I mean tail end so that now it's coming to VOD action horror film. Directed and produced by Stephen C. Miller. It stars Frank Grillo, Katrina law Liffinichhdera, James Michael Cummings, and the one and only Richie Allens himself lou Diamond Phillips. The story takes place in the night of a super moon event so called that causes humans to turn into werewolves, which first occurred the preceding year, and it follows the attempts of various factions as they try to control the situation. The film was released in December, like December sixth, twenty twenty four. So what a movie. We are making our way through wherewolf films, and we're going to get to some schlock because I will get my chance.
Speaker 2: To, I would argue, we might already party. Well, who knows we're in there.
Speaker 1: When I say schlock though, I mean like like you know, some random loop guru movie from the seventies that was on TV of.
Speaker 2: A certain vintage and budget.
Speaker 1: Right, this is this. This is a good looking picture, and that is true. You know, this is the Dragon's Layer of Where Wolves basically. So let's go Tony Julia Drew and then we'll get into it with opening thoughts. If I have anything to say, I will rapidly say it. Tony opening thoughts on Where Wolves twenty twenty four.
Speaker 3: I had a lot of fun with this movie. I mean, I like the effects. I think it's you know, a good action wrong. It kind of reminded me of a big budget. It brought me back to kind of VHS era action, and I mean that in the best possible way. There's no shade in that, but just like the pacing and the way like like it goes, I think it goes past kind of nineties action, back a little bit to eighties action in the way that it's told and kind of the beats as well as this kind of notion of hey, we're gonna here's what's happening. You know. I really it does feel kind of like the pitch meeting was probably so the purge to were wolves. Guys, what do you think?
Speaker 1: You know, yes, but that's fine.
Speaker 3: There's you know, there's some pseudoscience they're trying out, and there's you know, lots of action stuff and there's school looking where wolves like. I mean, I thought, you know, the parts that are practical are pretty rad. There's lots of you know, crazy death and different factions and all of that. But it had that again. This is this is one of those movies where I went, you know, this would work back in the day, but now we get to see, you know what it's like with you know, probably more expensive cameras and you know, all these effects and you know, bigger, bigger budget all the way.
Speaker 1: I love you when you said DHS like, we were looking at some VHS action posters over the weekend, right, and I hadn't really thought about that in a long time, where somebody'd be like, you know, this guy is going to be a robot and that's kind of guy's going to be a monster.
Speaker 3: And look you posted about the Eliminators poster and that is like and eliminators. If I remember correctly, I'm sure it probably had some uh some theatrical release. I can't remember, like I had to look it up again, but I think it was one also that was in those packages for like a video store, like by x amount of copies of Eliminators and also these you know, yeah, sure, because that was one of those posters. And it looks it's one of those where the poster is perhaps even more evocative than the movie. Yes, but but this I there could have this could have sold on a werewolf action poster. I mean it's got chain guns and yeah greens and people in their houses and you know, it sets up everything really early on, like here's here's the you know X, here's the vet and his guns, and you know, here's the family, and all those things are all it up for you, like really tightly. But yeah, I had fun with it, and I you know, I'm unsure how well it did in the theater. I just I kept wanting to catch it and I just didn't have time, unfortunately. But I bet it was fun in the theater with with people would like minded theater goers. You know, wow, look at that. You know, that's that's the fun. I mean, in the BHS stage, it would have been you and your buddies right, yes, in a you know whoa and then you talk about it on Monday.
Speaker 1: As well, So thank you. Uh, that's a good start. This is a VHS action movie with a much bigger budget. Julia, I don't know if that meant anything to you. I don't. I don't know if you were the prime target for VHS action in the day. So, uh, what are your thoughts about about Werewolves?
Speaker 4: I was not the prime audience. I I didn't enjoy this movie that much for the reasons that Number one it's which is you know, I don't like but boyds, are the effects good? Like the gory things look really effective. It really does look like where we'll just grab somebody's face right off or somebody's chest right off so that they get their roobcage. So that stuff was well done. Applause to whoever you know the effects person was, which I probably should pull up while I'm talking, but I you know, that's not my thing. But you know, I think there's a lot of things that were bugging me. Uh, And so I was kind of getting distracted by a lot of questions like why is that happening? Where did this, how did this start? Where did this come from? Who is that like that? And so those I felt like there were a lot of moments that maybe got left on the cutting room floor. I kind of feel like there was like twenty minutes of this movie that they had to cut that ended up making other scenes not make as much sense or other choices that makes much sense to me, and that was kind of distracting. I was distracted by Well, I'll get more into specifics later, but but I will say that it's super scary, and I think that the actors turn out some really decent performances. They seem to actually be, you know, quite traumatized by all this, So mixed feelings for me.
Speaker 1: Excellent, Thank you very much, Tony. Sorry Drew you we started first with you last time. This time you get to bring up the rear. Uh, explain to me where did you come up with that we needed to see this movie and and what are your thoughts?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, first off, we got two fairly big budgeted were wolf movies within a month of each other. That's that I can't remember the last time that happened. Because like were wolves, as much as I enjoy them, they're kind of the underloved monster out of like the big popular horror icons. You know, like they're not you know, they're not vampire, they're not zombies, you know, you know, they're not even ghosts. You know, Like there just doesn't seem to be as many were wolf movies at least. I mean, there's dozens of low budget werewolf movies, yeah, as as Jason already alluded to, but there doesn't seem to be as many big budget werewolf movies. And as it happens, like both of these werewolf movies were also just distributed distributed by Universal Studios. So that's kind of wild to think about too. Also, like like Tony, I kind of, you know, wanted to check this out when it was in theaters. I don't know how well it did, but it you know, I do recall it got some positive buzz online, and you know it just you know, because I have a baby, I have to be more selective about which movies I am going to see in the theater, and so I never did. And so when we were kicking around topics and we hit on the idea of doing another werewolf retrospective, I was like, well, let's let's do wear Wolves. And I am so glad that we did I really really really enjoyed this. It it, you know, is everything that Tony says. It just sort of feels like somebody did a sort of Full Moon Studios release, but with a much bigger budget. I you know, they say the per you know, the Purge of Werewolves. To me, this is almost like it's a zombie movie, but with were wolves instead of zombies. It's the were Wolf Apocalypse, which is kind of a novelty. I also really like the sort of specificness of the tone of this because the movie takes the universe that it's taking place in and takes everything that happens in it with a lot of gravita. But it is, you know what, taken on its face value, an extremely silly movie with extremely silly stuff in it. But I like that everything is committed to this universe, and you know, honestly, it makes me wish that there was a little more of it. Like, you know, I kept thinking of Donna the Dead or Escape from New York, where you kind of got sequences where you sort of explore the world that it's taking place, and I kind of wish there was a little bit more of that in here, because I found myself kind of curious about the universe, this existence. But yeah, I really you know, I mean I hate the pit two movies against each other, but I you know, as much as I had reservations about The New Wolfman, I really really, really just enjoyed the hell out of this. Like it was just it hit me and I don't know, maybe it was the right movie on the right day, but like I just was grinning ear to ear through the entire runtime.
Speaker 3: I think you hit it with the full moon reference, just because a lot of full moon movies do you have that kind of balance between hey, it's a little it's if you overthink it, it's maybe a little silly. And again I don't mean that as a knock, but like, yeah, it's just the vibe of it, like where you come in straight, like, hey, by the way, everybody, just so you know, there was a super moon, lots of people got turned into were wolves, you know, and just but but the tone isn't like Winkie at the viewer. It's just hey, guys, here's where we're at and we're going to go. Now it's time to go. Well, I mean I feel like that that that flavor is there in the like again in the best possible ways.
Speaker 2: Think about the puppet Master movie exactly.
Speaker 3: That's what I was talking about.
Speaker 2: Those those are taken on face value are it would be ridiculous. But the especially the first three take the concept like absolutely play it completely straight. And I I love, uh, you know when a when a you know, a B movie concept kind of does get get get played with without a shred of irony, Like there's just something fun about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I always used to think, I mean, now we have an MCU and we've had one for like ten or however many years. They've been women doing it. But I used to think of Marvel comics exactly this way, that you could have the wildest concept and everybody in the story would just play it totally straight. And that was what was so great about it because that then you can really then you know, you can engage in any flights of fancy that you want as long as everybody is playing along that that it all makes sense. So let's so let's get into it. This movie is about, as you called it, a werewolf apocalypse. There has been in and we jump over a lot. This is one of the those movies that sets up the world real quick and you used to have to run with. It's a runaway train. You are in a world where as of a year ago, something went down with the moon and it caused something to happen atmospherically. I guess maybe I don't even know if we really know exactly why, But now.
Speaker 2: The characters they don't even know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like not living dead, we don't know exactly what caused it. But regardless, now everybody's allergic to the moon. It turns you into werewolves. Done like so, so all of their world is built around two things, trying to figure out how to not be exposed to the you know, the deadly effects of the moon's rays, and how to survive the onslaught of people who have been turned into werewolves by the moon's rays. And and and I guess there's a further thing that don't really talk about but is clearly present in this movie, which is that since werewolves are running around at night, those werewolves are your your neighbors. So ideally you shouldn't want to just like murderize all of them, you know, because they're people. They're just they're just regular people that have been turned into were wolves.
Speaker 2: So and there's millions of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're all all all people basically who are exposed to move. Everybody has the virus. This is like a zombie thing where everybody could be a zombie at any moment and could be turned back from a zombie, which is this is this is really wild. It's very different from other apocalypses you've seen, and it's different from other werewolves that we've seen.
Speaker 4: And it's different from other contagions that we've seen because it's not focused on who is immune and why let's try to come up with some kind of vaccine, and it's interesting to me. I'm wondering if this film was being made during COVID, because probably was, because it does feel like it's inspired by you know, contagion also movies, and it felt feels like there's not a lot of crowds together, like there's a lot of even when like, for example, even when they crashed into a bus, we don't see any other people on the bus. People tend to be kind of spread apart in a lot of the scenes. So I'm kind of wondering if it was filling COVID.
Speaker 2: And I assumed that it was at least written during COVID, Like like the concerns of the movie make it feel very much like a like a something that was at least in the screenplay planning during COVID.
Speaker 4: Yeah. But yeah, but there's not anything about like how do we there is that they're trying to come up with this moon screen, like Jason's saying that will block the moon, But there's not an idea that, oh, we've found some people who are immune and so we're trying to create a vaccine. That's you know, taking advantage of that, which I think would have been interesting, but maybe that'll be a different movie.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean also by not doing that, then at least you don't have the same conversations you hear in all the other pictures where hey, there's a vial, there's a VCS, there's a vaccine we get to get we got to move the vaccine from here to there. You know, you have different different side quests in this yeah go ahead premise.
Speaker 3: The premise though, is that they don't they don't know enough yet to even get to there, so they have to do the moonscreen thing first and monitor them. That's what they're hoping. Like when when all when the when it starts to all hell breaks loose. The first thing is, hey, we have this, We finally developed this moonscreen thing, so now we can try to get basically, they're going to use the control group. You know, we're trying to get a control group because after that we can hope to get a cure. But first we need to get people. We need to make people not change and figure out the differences. And so that that I thought was actually interesting that they're kind of you know, taking it in steps, which is you know, I mean as as kind of as in some parts scientists. Science is like I don't know, but but like there's thought and it's not just some magic thing or whatever you know, stage there's like a there's like a theoretical scientific, biological like thing there that works in the premise. It works in the premise of this or I'm sure you know, knowing what I know that some of the sciences like, okay, whatever, but that's not that's neither here nor there. It's just that's the way we're doing things. But having it, you know, get into that control group by by trying to monitor, you know, how long can we can we keep first foremost to solve the problem, they're going to turn into were wolves. So we can just keep people from turning to were wolves. We can figure out the virus part later.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so interesting.
Speaker 3: That's kind of cool.
Speaker 4: Actually, So that scene where they have so they've put these four people into cages and they've and they've said, okay, we're ready for them to turn and one of the people is this like super rational like military guy. So Okay, this is what I'm talking about when I say there's things that irritated me. So we see these people with like half their skin burned. Why, like, why is there that we don't know? We don't find that out.
Speaker 2: I assume that's.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying.
Speaker 2: That the stars are from when they were where.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but there's just the two of them, nobody else. Like there's the guy that the Asian guy who Miles is the character's name, and then there's another person in the line going in or maybe it was the same person, but I didn't notice his eye. It seemed like when when the person was in line, they had a screwed up eye. But then mileson. So I don't know, but at least one, if not two people had that, but nobody else does. So it's like, why where did this scoring company.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: So then we've got this great character, Miles played by James Kyson is the guy's name. I love Miles. I want to see Miles do well and come out of this. Nope, he doesn't he so that that bothered me. He is great. Then you've got these two guys who were already just off their rockers, like the They basically they said they didn't have enough volunteers, so they had to grab some four people from the psychiatric world.
Speaker 2: It's also they they put forth the idea that once you've changed into a werewolf for you kind of want to change back.
Speaker 4: Oh I miss that. Okay, that's yeah.
Speaker 2: They compare it to being a you know, a drug addiction, and.
Speaker 3: That's why he goes got you, got You, got you?
Speaker 4: Okay, that makes sense. And then you've got the poor woman who just changes her mind and I felt so bad for her because they wouldn't let her come out anyway. Then you got lou Diamond Phillips. He's in charge of the whole thing. Okay, so fine, whatever, I get it. They're doing this study. Fine, they're going to open the giant moon roof, which I'm like, that seems successive. That technology, but whatever, and then whenever they turn like all hell breaks loose for no apparent reason, which that just bugged the crap out of me and I and I and it bugged me that it was so I felt bad for anybody who was flash sensitive because that was there was so much strobe lights, like there was no reason just because Miles Werewolf, Miles is able to grab the machine that was gonna spray him with the more of the moonscreen stuff he that therefore everything breaks apart and the roof won't close. What what happened? It made no sense. It was chaotic for no reason, and that that right there immediately turned me off. I was like, Okay, I'm annoyed by this whole scene.
Speaker 2: My question about this whole setup because you know, you know, going in that the it's it's not going to work the way it planned because it's the Ryan George thing. It's it's so the movie can happen. So my question, you know is, you know, I'm thinking of of ways you could have, you know, maybe given this movie a little bit more breathing room in spaces, you know, and I guess you would lose the whole drive to go get his family. But it seems to me that Frank Grillo's character is part of this group. Why wouldn't they have his family.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a good question where I didn't think about that. Yeah, because Frank Grillo, who appears to be Frank Grilla, who's a former marine and has been deployed and is an action guy. Uh. And it's like, you know, with his zero point five percent body fat, is also the leading molecular biologist in the United States in the study of chemistry, and and he is. And so doctor Grillo whatever he's called, Doctor Marshall is distracted, of course, because he's worried about his sisters, I think.
Speaker 3: But they set that up, like whether whether it's bugs you or not, they set it up as like they do want to stay home, They want to be in their family home. There there there's tension, uh, but there's there's a love between you know, Hey, that was my you know, sorry, your your husband and your kid's dad died. That was my brother. But there's a there's a there seems to be an on like a thing where they they want to stay home. He's trying to protect them as much as possible. But I also think that the reason they're not there is he does kind of also want them. She says, hey, you don't have to go. So there's a perception that there's danger in this and he doesn't want to expose them. I mean, of course that's what happens. But like the reason they're not there is exactly why they say, Like she's like, you know, you shouldn't have to do this, like just stay with us and protect this and also be here with your family.
Speaker 2: As it turns out, would have probably been the correct.
Speaker 3: Right of course, of course. But again, so the movie, that's why they're not there there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like, actually I remember it the other way, didn't He say maybe I should stay? And she says yeah, I think. But still with the conversation should I stay or should I go? And and he ends up he has to go and and you know, do molecular biology stuff.
Speaker 2: Hey, somebody that that moon screen is not going to perfect?
Speaker 4: Jason, what did you say that when I said that there's no way this guy's molecul was just you likened it too well?
Speaker 1: I mean Denise Richards as the nuclear physicist.
Speaker 2: I mean, I am sure that there are really really hot scientists out there.
Speaker 1: I mean a lot I've been to a lot of CrossFit classes, and a lot of these guys are super molecular. Some of them are molecular biologists. But I I just I've met Look, there's a lot of hot doctors. Let me put it that way, if you go to you know, so I think it's completely plausible.
Speaker 2: It's it's more just perpetually grizzled every man. Frank Grillo, you know who. Look, I love Frank Grillo. I I you know, he's what you know, every you know, there's there's always like the actors that that you wish were like bigger, Like he's always somebody that I thought of, Like this guy should be like the new Stallone or the new Schwartzenegger. Like why is because he's he's not only is he good at the action stuff, but like he is a decent he's a decent actor. And you know, he's he he can play bad guys, he can play good guys. You know, like he's he's he's so he's got some range. I don't know if his range includes molecular biologists, but you know, like since it's not that bit like he's only doing science guy stuff for about ten minutes and then the rest of the movie is him action here, you know, yeah, doing doing the action hero thing.
Speaker 4: So like, yeah, no, I think, I mean, it's fine, it's fine. It's fine that he's whatever. It's fine if.
Speaker 2: We can accept that Arnold Swarzenegger has been everything from you know, a small town American sheriff to like, you know, average America can dad, you know, like they they've Swartzenegger has been miscast is everything, and it's it's fine.
Speaker 1: Really, he's much better than I mean. And look, Chuck Norris is is a force to be reckoned with, for sure, but Frank Grillo is an excellent actor compared to some of our eighties' favorites, like like Chuck Norris. You know, so, so I think I think he could he could do a lot, but uh we do. Yeah, so let's see, uh where should we go from here? After things blow up in.
Speaker 2: The Diamond, Phillips gets turns into a motherfucking werewolf.
Speaker 4: They all do all those guys well I mean not all of them, but all the guys in the thing plus him. Yeah, it's everybody who gets exposed to the moon because because the stupid.
Speaker 2: Roof, well they have they have what looks like radiation suits with the Iron Man, Yeah, the Iron Man computer in her face inside the helmets.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And well that leaves us with only two people survive. You have you have Frank Glow as doctor Marshall and Katrina Law as doctor Chen who's the wife of Miles, the one who, unfortunately for and.
Speaker 4: For Katrina grieves her husband for about three minutes and then that's and then and then I get you enough time to be grieving, but she sure seemed to get over it pretty quickly.
Speaker 1: They have a mission now, and their mission is to cross the city. And actually I really love the way this script works because they're like, all right, so now that was act one. Now we're into the goal is these guys who are our leads now are going to cross the city because the lab is.
Speaker 4: Now full of were wolves and so we may as well go be with his family to help them.
Speaker 2: Well, and they have the moon screen, which doesn't work perfect, but it works. It's the ticking timer thing like it was for an hour.
Speaker 1: Great and I love it. I love Okay.
Speaker 4: So here's the thing. So every time there's noise, the werewolves get drawn to the noise, and yet his timer that he says is the loudest effing timer, Like when it goes off, it's like maybe and I'm just like, dude, can't you put like vive raiders?
Speaker 2: So maybe I'm worried he would miss it and turn.
Speaker 4: I'm sure, I'm sure, but I'm just saying it was pretty funny. But yeah, so there is a lot of good tense, tense tense scenes in the streets trying to avoid getting killed by all the werewolves.
Speaker 2: That was there's all the whole other like, because what we have going on in this movie is you have two cocurrent plots. You have the sort of escape from New York plot where Frank Grillo and doctor Chen are trying to get back to his family, and then and then you have the family who are in dire straits because the gun nut that his living next door screwed up his screwed up his living room when he was shooting at were wolves and is now a were wolf himself and has formed a werewolf posse.
Speaker 4: Werewolf himself, but he has the sign wolf, which is hilarious.
Speaker 2: Well, that is one of the things I really did like about this movie is, you know, like all they tried to give all the werewolves like a little bit of uniqueness to like you had like the punk rock wear wolf, you know, the the gun nut were wolf that still had his face paint and you know, flack jacket on, and you know, all that stuff was was cool to me because it gave it a more you know, it wasn't just that they had generic strips of clothing that was ripped up. It was like character specific clothing, which which gave it kind of a more lived than feeling to me.
Speaker 1: And when I mentioned something about the the next door neighbor, the guy the go ahead, my my thought about him was, I would hope that everybody who was watching this, who you know, has ever served or has ever spent any time with guns, was just appalled at his behavior because guy.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, he's the worst that Like, he is idiot. He'd be a danger on any any team that you put him on because he's like shooting through, like had a target that can shoot through the other people's Like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, at the very very least, if you're gonna shoot targets in your backyard at the very least, But first of all, don't do that. That's stupid, Like that's that's not what your backyard is for if you live in a suburb. But even if at the very least you should be aiming at the ground or at least below the horizon. And this motherfucker is just shooting straight towards I don't know, I guess those rounds he.
Speaker 2: Frank Frank Grillo's character actually calls him out on it. He says, like, hey, you can hit my my sister in law's house. And you know that that's the sort of caliber gun that would just shoot. So there's there's definitely a plea for for Oh, yes, some gun safety.
Speaker 3: I mean we know that he's he also has a sniper rifle and none of the discipline that any sniper would have. Yes, this is a guy who just bought that, Like I need a sniper rifle, and he's even though.
Speaker 2: He has the US Marine Corps tattoo. I sort of question if he ever actually served.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know in some ways, yeah, because I have friends he served in a couple of different you know, mostly Middle East, and none of them aren't this guy. Luckily, none of them were this guy. This guy is and what he actually going to be horrible.
Speaker 2: He actually seems smarter as a werewolf than he does a really good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, am I understanding correct? That his plan was to sit on his couch and shoot through his walls at the werewolves.
Speaker 5: That seems to be his his yeah plan, or a slash window because he's his sniper rifles in the windows, which is far like he's but he's on his couch, like it's not Again, the way you would really want to do that is to put that in the middle anyway.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're not supposed to think too.
Speaker 1: Much none of this, but like, like we yeah.
Speaker 3: The filmmakers are showing like this guy is awful.
Speaker 1: Like, yes, now, let me ask a question that I'm ignorant of. Okay, I don't know the answer to this question. If this were your like, like, like you get a house in the suburbs and there's were wolves roam in the streets, is it better to obviously you board up the windows and blah blah blah blah blahlah. But do you is it better to like hunker down like in a in a fortified basement, or to get on the roof and like and like block off the access to the roof.
Speaker 4: Clear doesn't do anything because they can get on the roof. They can get it everywhere. They're super strong and super smart.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, well because you also know you can't do the roof because you also can't be exposed. The whole point is all.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, definitely does not The roof would not work on multiple levels in the universe.
Speaker 4: Of this a better option. But the problem is these guys are so smart, these wolves and the were wolves, and so strong that they not only can like get you know, break into anything, it seems like even brick they're not. Like they leggings the house to the house in the in the Three Little Pigs, He's like, your house is made of bricks. He sells the little girl, the little the little niece, uh, and so they can't get in, but they totally tear through a brick wall. But also they're super smart, like the guy one of the well the neighbor were wolf. He kills the poor little teenager young older teenage neighbor and who has run over to their house to try to get help because her mom has been killed, and he kills her. That's the one that like rips her us to part and then he uses her to deactivate the electrified fence by just holding her body up because I'm like, this guy is like really smart. And then he goes and gets a bunch of werewolf buddies, which I don't know how he made them, but he did to come help. And so they all like they have this conversation that we don't prove you to where he clearly tells them, okay, we're all we're going to disable all the security cameras. At the same time, it's crazy, well though, I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it does you know that is actually based on to a degree like wolf behavior because.
Speaker 4: Wolf These friends, however, at the end and then I mean, we will talk about the end. When we talk about the end, I want to talk about about the how how our hero manages to counter his werewolf nature. But we'll get to that.
Speaker 1: Believe.
Speaker 2: The thing that I you know, one of the other things I thought about that I think was probably an influence on this movie is the first Return of the Living Dead and how you know, you up to that point you had sort of the stock Romero style zombies, and then when you get to Return to the Living Dead, you know, suddenly the zombies are smart, Suddenly they're fast, Suddenly they're incredibly durable and That's kind of what's going on here is like these are like not your it's such a it's such a bland thing to say, but these aren't your moms wear wolves like these these it seems that, you know, there's never a talk about silver bullets or anything like that, but it doesn't really matter because it seems like they can take like basically ridiculous amounts of punishment before yeah, dying and behead Yeah you can behead them, but and you can kill them with guns, but you just you have to like keep shooting a lot. Yeah, like these things.
Speaker 3: Are villain chain gun, you know, that's yeah, that's not a that's a crazy weapon. Like the real, real version of that is something else. But yeah, I thought, you know, but also, you know, the the interesting part also all things like you're also banking on when you're when you're hold up in your house, like you're basically there for like twelve hours, Like there's a twelve hour window that you're just trying to make it through, like which can be you know, anytime you've been waiting on something that can seem like the longest time, and yet that's that's really like we just have to make it through. Twelve hours. This isn't where you have to hold up like.
Speaker 1: No, that's true, making it a more or less real time movie, which is pretty cool. Like I do that. I love I love a movie that more or less runs in real time. I mean that. That's it's kind of fun because you kind of feel like you're going through it, you know. That's that I always, I always enjoyed that. And luckily everybody in this movie when you think about it, everybody in this movie oh one another. Like you know, there's very there's very little time that's gonna be wasted, like having people meet, except for one sequence in roughly right around the midpoint, like where they're cutting across town and they take a they take a side trip. They avoid the werewoves on the street by going into this abandoned indoor mall. Yeah, where they're they're basically they're given a chance by this little kid wearing wearing goggles, you know, and and he grabs them, brings them inside, and so they meet these which is hilarious because this is just people, right, But he meets these these people who are like the Morlocks. Essentially, they're living in this mall. They want to they don't trust them, they give them safe passage. It's awesome.
Speaker 2: I mean to me, this is the sort of thing that I'm saying. I wish that I could, I could, we could spend a little bit more time in this universe, because like that whole bit was really intriguing me. Like I I, you know, I like the world that this universe is, Like I found it to be interesting. Like I think I said something on the group chat earlier where I said, if I if I had seen this movie when I was twelve years old, I think I probably would think this is the greatest movie ever made, because like there's just so much stuff that appeals to that juvenile part of my brain that you know, just likes, you know, the sort of make believe world that this has been. Like I'm into I'm into it, you know, and it's it's you know, it creates something that that you know, begs to be explored. But we only get like a snapshot of this one night that with this one group of people. I will say this though, because the the the cast is so contained and you already have all the relationships establish you don't have you know that that that you know, from a writing standpoint, that saves the movie a lot of a lot of time because, like, you know, they're like towards the end, like when when Frank Grillo comes in and you know, he sees that the next door neighbor has been turned into a werewolf, you know, like you already know you know, he says like, oh, I never liked you, Cody. You know, like you you you you believe that because you know we the relationship. You know that the actors. Again, it fills even though what it's all platently absurd, it does have this like lived in quality, like you definitely believe that that these two guys have been living next to each other and even though they're both military men, they're very different and they don't like each other.
Speaker 4: Just the part that I was talking about that when we get to the end, I want to get into a little bit more. But I don't know, I don't think we're there.
Speaker 1: Well, I think we're newly there. The what I what I was thinking about was you really, yeah, there's so much going on in this world and we have basically an adventure moving through the world in the same sense of being like on a dark ride. You know, you get onto a dark ride a character says a few words explains what the concept of the world is, and you're going to follow a goal and you're going to ride through it. And if you're a viewer, you either are kind of into this, like okay, this is sort of a this is an action movie world where there's bear Wells every night, or you're not into that. Go ahead, Tony.
Speaker 3: It would also make a really good like you could see this as like a shooter kind of game because you got all your part. So there's a start in the lab and then we have to get oh wait, here's the section where we encountered the other group of military people and they've got a machine gun and now I need to get behind the chain gun like all that stuff. And again that's all great stuff, and it you know, we have games that have good plots like that, like action movie plots that move along that way, like you're you're being pulled towards these things, and that's that's part of the coolness. Like it's military people, but they don't know each other these and they don't even know they're Like I think they're military, but what group would they be with? Yes, I don't know, but they have a lot of weapons, and let's hope that they're good. You know, they get ripped up by all the werewolves, so you know, I don't know, maybe they you know, I don't know if they've survived or if they just got distracted this one time. But also it's it's a good reason to have you shoot were wolves with the chain gun. It's really like, if you want to get to the meat of the matter, it's like, well, we got to have the chain guns. Yeah we do.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so that's yeah, that's all fun. But then you have the house, the family, and you have Lucy who has for some reason been given a shotgun with only a few shells, And I'm like, what were you not expect? Like you knew this was coming. Why do you not have an entire box of shells? And then he's like, what happened to your shells? She's like, what's been abou night? Like we did not see her shoot before. She's already just down to like four shells or like a really good point. Yeah, I don't understand that that annoyed me.
Speaker 1: It could be some If it was I'm just guessing, but it could be a whole section of her having to expend Shells was cut. I'm just making that up.
Speaker 4: But I really like that actress. I'll finish. And I really love the little girl Emma. She's Camden Gary. She was great and gorgeous, my goodness.
Speaker 2: But I loved the relationship with the Frank Grillo character.
Speaker 1: I like that there's no attempt at all at all also to set up some kind of romance between Frank Grillo and Lucy Marshall. I mean, sorry, I'll finish ad Era because blah blah blah the family. But in theory you could like grow them closer together.
Speaker 4: But and there's also no attempt to make it where like you're not my dad, you know, like none of that. It's just it's just a nice, wholesome relationship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really It's really cool, Tony. Something I was laughing thinking about when you were talking about how it feels like like the Alien Game or something like that. I really when you were saying that, I was picture in this movie, you do have people pop up behind a you know, uh like an ally pop up behind the crate and wave and go over here, and so then all.
Speaker 3: The beats, all the beats feel that way. And again, that is not a knot, that's just like storytelling action storytelling through.
Speaker 1: That you're on rails, baby, like you're going to.
Speaker 3: Keep it moving. But like the parts are like, hey, we go underground. Oh wait, there's there's like underground people. They're probably you're only here for the twelve hours, though I don't know if they're really living there because they don't look they're not. They don't look like morlocks.
Speaker 1: You know, they're all right, I agree, right, you know, they are wearing blankets and stuff, but that's because if you go outside, you have to pull a blanket over you. And that's that's almost apparently just as good as moonscream, just like absolutely, which means everybody could dress up like commit like like snake eyes basically and you'd be fine for like nighttime hopefully anyway.
Speaker 3: But there's something I mean, they say, oh well, it gets in the fibers, so evidently maybe maybe not all the way, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean, it also doesn't seem to take much moonlight to transmit.
Speaker 1: The bouncing moonlight doesn't count like moonlight streaming in at an angle.
Speaker 4: But it's just so so random. I mean, honestly, I really want to get to the ending because the ending. I really hated the.
Speaker 1: Okay, we can go there, we can go to the end.
Speaker 2: We talk about the ending. I want to talk about how the were wolves were simultaneously terrifying and cute because they look like they're smiling, right, Like, did anybody else feel that way?
Speaker 1: I guess that's true.
Speaker 3: We also feel a little bit like the silver Bullet were wolves in a way.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, you know, it's funny.
Speaker 3: We were talking illustrations.
Speaker 2: Like you know, when we did wolf Man last week, you know, we talked about how people didn't like the design of the were wolf and that.
Speaker 1: And you know, this is a much more traditional where this is.
Speaker 2: This is you know, it's not a wolf Man, but it's like that sort of howling uh.
Speaker 3: Sort of bullet soldiers. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean it's that that, you know, the eighties style where wolf where it's literally an upright wolf on steroids, and that you.
Speaker 1: Know, I loved how practical they are. This is gonna look so much better than if it was cg and looking back at it fifteen years from now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, And I think I think, you know that the classicness of the design kind of helps with you know, because this does have that sort of throwback B movie feel to it, you know, like like having these sort of because they could have tried to do something very different like they did in Wolfman. But I don't think that that would have been the right choice for this, Like I think you know, you wanted something, you needed something that just like within seconds you're like, well that to were Wolf, you know, like you know, like you don't have to think about it at all, Like you know, this is very much a movie where I think reinventing the wheel would have been the wrong, the wrong choice.
Speaker 1: I agree, Yeah, yeah, I mean there's no way the Wolfman, the Bluemhouse movie is trying to do totally different things from this. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know there's no reason to reinvent what a were wolf looks.
Speaker 2: Well, and the Wolf the Blumhouse Wolfman also is a much more serious, sort of cerebral take on the like this is, this movie is mostly out to entertain you, and that's fine, you know, Like I I think it's perfectly okay for both kinds of movies to exist. I did. I will say I think I enjoyed this one a little more, probably because it didn't have the weight of being called the wolf Man. Attached to it, you know, like which has its own set of connotations. But you know, this this movie was exactly what I wanted it to be. Anyway, we can talk about the n duly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they finally get to the get to the house, tell us about the.
Speaker 4: Ending, right, So so we have the families reunited, but right not before you know, they're actually under a full attack by all these werewolves who have gotten into the house. And so he knowing that Marshall knowing that the werewolves will that that they're there because he can see I guess that stuff has been torn up, that they will respond to noise, and starts talking the horns so they'll come out. And then he just like mows them down with his car and manages to pin the last the neighbor guy, into the wall or whatever. So then he gets out and he's like, hey, everybody, awesome, you know, how's it going whatever? But the one guy is still alive that you know, the neighbor guy, and so that's when and he manages to push the car off himself and get loose and walk away. So that's when that conversation about you know, I never liked you anyway happens so then he's like, rather than look around for all the millions of weapons that they've been using up until this point, the knives and the whatever, He's just like, there's only one option at this point. Now that we've killed all the other werewolves with vehicles and knives and guns and all the things, I must now turn into a werewolf so that I can fight this werewolf because that's the only option. So I'm gonna go on into the moonlight, and thankfully, thankfully, neighbor guy werewolf is just gonna hang out and wait for me to turn into a werewolf rather than attacking me while I'm turning, And then we're gonna fight because I'm even though I can't I'm now a werewolf, I still remember that this was the goal. I'm not gonna suddenly be like part of the pack. I'm gonna be like, no, this is the goal. Is to fight that guy because I hate him so much, and that my hatred of him will go and.
Speaker 1: Love your family and my family family not so much.
Speaker 4: It's the hatred of this guy gonna make it so that I'm.
Speaker 2: Going to I mean, in fairness, In fairness, wolves do fight for who gets to be leader. Of the pack. So there is there is a basis for that. And also while I agree that he had no way of knowing that this was going to work out, you know I I I will say that I sort of love that once Grillo becomes because like kind of the thing that they insinuate throughout this movie is, you know, you do retain some of your you know, what you have as a human being. You do sort of have still have that as a were wolf. So if you are a more physically fit, well trained human being, you are a tougher, bigger, tougher werewolf. And so thus far Gunnut Gout has been like the toughest werewolf on the blot. But when he's fighting Frank girla where Wolf Frank Girlla, where wolf literally just rips his head off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that was that was all well and good, But the fact that he turned to werewolf to me was dumb. The fact that the neighbor waited for him to turn into were wolf was dumb. And then he's now that was saying about his love of family not so much because now it's going to come back in and be like, Okay, now I'm gonna go ahead and eat you or whatever, because I'm werewolf. But thankfully we have the rule of the ticking clock, which magically says, not only does the does the moonscreen wear off exactly one hour after you apply it, but also sunrise is exactly at the moment that he has set the timer for. He's like, you have fifteen minutes to sunrise, and when sunrise happens, it is full blazing sun like it is not a little bit sunrise. It is like, as long as we get as long as she can, uh, she has one. She finds phone another shell, so she has one shell. They Unfortunately she didn't find it when before before when they were fighting the neighbor werewolf, because that would have been better. But rather than shoot him when he's about to attack her, she shoots out. And also thankfully it's a really really great shotgun, because she shoots out the entire chunk of wood that is blocking exactly where the bright sun is going to come in, so that he can immediately turn back into a human and not kill her. All of that, All of that just bothered me.
Speaker 1: I loved it, especially because it's like there's so many lifts here, just as you had the lift of fighting in the closet. You know that Michael Meyer is putting his hand through the closet thing. This is like Clarice shooting out the windows when she kills Buffalo Buffalo Bill Tony. There was something that you wanted to say.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, I mean, part of it is the idea of the noble sacrifice and that's why he's going to do this. But it was funny because last week before the show, I asked like, hey, have you ever seen it where you know, somebody turns themselves into a werewolf to defend their family from another werewolf and then is trying to not wolf out, Like take that into account, Like I gotta be mindful. I gotta be a werewolf, but I also have to be mindful not to kill my family. And I was marvelou because when I was watching wolf Man, I was thinking, what a different what a different take that would be, And you could still do it in that really kind of tight thing where he goes, I need to defend my family. You're stuck with me changing into a wolf, and that would have been a different movie. Also, you know, I didn't want to judge it on the movie in my head as opposed to the movie that was there, but then we come you know, we were talking about that kind of pregaming it last week and I said, I just I don't want to talk about the movie. I thought of, I want to talk about the movie that we're watching when this kind.
Speaker 2: Of does it in a way, you know, I mean he's not actually the dad, but he's functionally the dad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, exactly exactly, or I mean any family member, you know, and this one, like I was like when it happened, I was like, oh, look, it's the thing we were talking about. Because I didn't I was like, that could be an interesting movie where somebody has made this choice or they understand the choice and knows know that they have to wolf out, but they can't wolf out too much or else they'll kill the people they love. It does, and this kind of it's just I do agree with Julia that it is kind of plot. It's for the plot, especially when like by the way, it's like it's unlike in the way the vampire movies do some light right, and that's just the way these wolves work. So I didn't have as big a problem, but it's obviously like, okay, well that was the plot. And of course when he of course when he turns back, he's like, you know, shirtless, uh, you know, super workout gorilla.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, that's that's beefcake to you, sir.
Speaker 6: Okay, sorry, I I feel like it does sort of imply that she does kind of reach him when she's trying to get a like he does hesitate even as a were wolf, just enough for her to shootout.
Speaker 2: The thing I the thing I didn't like about the ending is how like once he's no longer a were wolf, which is pretty much instantaneous, like we don't see him change back, is how abrupt it ends, like you know, he he literally helps her off the floor and they roll credits, and that's true. I feel like that there should have been like even a shot of like the family like embracing them each other.
Speaker 1: Or you know, just.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like something that felt more like you know, the end shot. I am okay that nothing is really resolved, like it does have that that kind of John Carpenter ending where you know, he's now a were wolf, like there's no changing that back.
Speaker 1: And John Carpenter though Halloween, John Carpenter at least gave you a tour of the town. You remember that that is true. That is true, Like he just takes an extra twenty seconds to give you shots of the rest of the town before we faded.
Speaker 2: But I guess what I mean about that is nothing is a resultd Like there's still no cure for being aware.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: The main character is now a where wolf, you know, like it's it's.
Speaker 1: I guess we're gonna have to wait for were wolves too.
Speaker 4: To or or not.
Speaker 2: I mean, this could just be it, but you know I I sort of like that about that, this is just like a snapshot of this this particular world where where wolves are a thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, no, that's that's true. You know. Also Jaws, when you think about it, Jaws ended pretty not quite like Jaws ended, and then you cut to them swimming away, So you know, you're right, they could have given us a twenty second scene, like.
Speaker 2: Just something, just something that would felt like like a punctuation of the thing, you know, like you know that it's fine a final shot and the movie goes. It feels very strange, like it's a weird it's a weird.
Speaker 4: Choice celebration of Gorilla's chiseled physique.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess anyway.
Speaker 4: How convenient that when they turn into whirls. The only clothes that come off are the clothes that don't cover their private parts.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, when when she guys hey, you know, and it's her uncle and I was like, oh no, this that's that looks real bad. And then like cut back and he's got his pants.
Speaker 2: Well, he also still has his dog tags on, which I enjoy, Like, yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean if the other guy's gonna have his wolf killer thing, then I suppose he's gonna yes.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh that, wait a second, and then oh pants.
Speaker 1: It uses Marvel Comics logic where remember the the Hulk got super big, but his his pants Corduroys managed to stretch with his squads.
Speaker 2: The one thing that we didn't talk about is we do briefly see a child were wolf when they are in in the convenience store, and that is the one were wolf that looks slightly different than the adult were wolves.
Speaker 4: And I know, it looks so different. It's like the really really small now it issed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like it hasn't fully developed into super sad.
Speaker 1: That whole thing was very disturbing.
Speaker 4: I liked that they didn't kill him though, people. In fact, I'm thinking about it didn't she not kill Miles like.
Speaker 2: I thought, she just know they they they and we don't really see what happens to her. She's grabbed by a were wolf and then pulled off.
Speaker 4: At that point, but at the beginnings that she recognized Miles and shot and therefore.
Speaker 2: Miles, Miles does not get killed. So Miles maybe the one morning his wife when yeah, but uh it's.
Speaker 1: Some yeah, I get, she gets she gets ripped upwards the same way that that the snake in the beginning of Escape from New York has a.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're like, how are you? How is she going straight up into the sky? Like what?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean somebody pulled her from above. But my point is it's a it's a it's an echo. The example I'm about to give you is just as crazy, just like they borrow from in Halloween when when the werewolf is bashing his fist through the slats of the closet. Likewise, an Escape from New York carpenter has the woman that's showing snake around all of a sudden gets yanked through the floor. Uh, this is the same, only it's reversed. Where where the person that and I guarantee you this is a quote from Carpenter because this movie.
Speaker 2: This movie drinks very deeply of the John Carpenter. Well, yeah, and that is that is okay by me.
Speaker 1: But why how did those people know to get under the floor just the point where that woman standings? They could grab her? Magic? Pure movie magic is the answer, though, Yeah, or's the pity? I suppose? Well, gosh, is there is there anything that we haven't touched on? That that's I mean, I'm sure there there there is, but we've probably we've probably hit on most everything here. So why don't we get our final thoughts on were Wolves twenty twenty four? And then I'm dying to know what you guys have to endorse, because I've started to write down the endorsements and include them in the metadata for this show, so if you're getting it on like Spotify or whatever, you can see what it was that each of us listed so that you don't have to like so you can find it and go and go look it up. So, but first let's get our final thoughts, Tony, have we been fair to were Wolves? And and what are your thoughts?
Speaker 3: I think so? And I again, I would hope that the filmmakers understand that if we've called anything out as like callbacks or it feels this way that this is intended to be pure love for the action genre and how it flows and and good memories of you know again, when I say VHS, I do know there's there's you know what I like, there's no there's no knock in that. It just has that like pacing in that vibe, which I think is great. Yeah, I enjoyed it. Uh it, I mean it moves when it goes. When it moves, it moves, and uh I again I agree with Drew, like there's something about it that full feels like the best parts of Full Moon and and those are happy times. Is a good time. So uh you know, I I that was kind of the vibe by God and I there's no doubt, like once you're into it, you're like, oh, we're gonna watch this movie. This is this is where we're at. And I was, I was down for that. I like I said, only I wish kind of wish I had seen in a theater with other action movie fans. I bet that was.
Speaker 1: A who excellent thank you? Uh Trulyia, Uh it's it's I've actually really enjoyed listening to you rattle off your thoughts about this movie. It's been it's been really cool. This was a fun one to I wish that we could have been fifteen together and watched crazy movies.
Speaker 4: Like this, and we were fifteen together.
Speaker 1: Well that's true, but we didn't watchcop Okay, okay, So.
Speaker 2: She's got you there.
Speaker 1: Anyway.
Speaker 4: I yeah, I've been doing the conversation. I have enjoyed kind of just and I feel bad, you know, for because it is there's a lot of good things about it, and I think I did highlight a lot of the things I liked. But but yes, the ending just really particularly set me off of it. But no, I think, I say, the performances are great, special effects are amazing. The special effect I did look up who it was the people that were in charge, but I don't know if I don't know if it's that, because it's probably part of it's probably some of it's probably the makeup, which is Ricky Dia done and then and mar Mary Ramirez is the makeup department head, but the special effects coordinator is Michael Walls. I don't know if that means anything to you guys anyway, So whoever, the folks are good job. There's also a visual effects department, but whoever did all that, they did a great job. I thought it looked really good and I thought the performers were good.
Speaker 1: So leaving it on a position wonderful. Let's see, we started with Tony, So Drew, what about it?
Speaker 2: I think what I said earlier is my best review of this movie. If if I had seen this movie when I was twelve, I would have thought it was the.
Speaker 3: Greatest movie ever made.
Speaker 2: Like it is a very good movie for twelve year old Drew. I really just, like I said, maybe it was just the right movie on the right day at the right time, but I really just enjoyed escaping from the troubles of our real world and into the troubles of this were wolf infested world. And it was it was escapism on a day where I guess I really needed escapism. So, you know, sometimes you want the genre to be a painful Catharsis, and sometimes you just want to see Frank Grillo shoot wear wolves with the chain gun.
Speaker 1: So there you go, that's wonderful. Yeah, I mean I was thinking about, you know how in high school and college you'd go to a movie and you know, all you want is some action and like and like to jump and yell and ah, you know, with your friends and and this really is that, I mean gosh, except for that, I feel like we're technically by we, I mean Hollywood, they're getting better and better at you know, you know, a move like yeah, you're right in When you were a kid, this would have been the greatest movie you ever made, because if you look at like a low budget action or from the nineties, you know, the timing is better, the special effects are better, the editing is better, the cameras are better. Everything's better, and you can still have a pulpy story. But technically I think that that the industry just keeps moving forward. So it's it's pretty cool, all right, This got our endorsements. I would love to hear what you guys have been watching or listening to how you are escaping sometimes frightening news all around us, or the dreary days and the cold winter nights. Tony, what do you have for us? And I'm taking notes this time because again I'm gonna put it in the metadata.
Speaker 3: Well, I need to make sure that you got the metadata for the bands that I mentioned last time, But anyway, but for this week. I you know, mainly, I think I'm mainly a night been playing video games because that engages my brain in a different way, Like I don't have the same kind of like oh crap, everything's on fire and bees in the head, so like I tinted, but rain, I've been watching The Pizza Show, which is this show exactly about that about pizza? Okay, and maybe really and then a couple other things I found out. I got the press release today that Wolfman. If you heard our podcast from last week, Wolfman comes out on digital tomorrow, and the four K and the Blu Ray come out in March eighteenth. So if you wanted to kind of play along in the home game, you can compute on digital tomorrow and then pick up the if you like it, you can pick it up in March. And I mean, we don't get paid for those advertisements or anything, but I thought, hey, we did the thing, like this is where you can see it if you weren't able to catch in the theater. And I was telling Drew, it's different. But if you haven't seen it, if you kind of wanted to continue, probably I mean it's more intense and more brutal and way an even way more gory, the kind of if you wanted to do a double feature, you could pair this with a movie called Project Wolf Hunting, which starts as a prison like escape hecet thing on a ship and then rapidly goes into crazy gore territory. That movie is great and I was recommending it, but it is like, uh, you know, this is not a movie for you, Julia, Project Wild. It's like, yeah, this is not It's not free, but it is crazy action. You know, enough blood, I mean there there is enough fake blood to fill I don't know, at least a small swimming pool. It feels to the point where the blood actually becomes part of like the plot device. So I would pair this with Project Wolf Funding, which is out.
Speaker 1: I think.
Speaker 3: I think I've talked about it before. It was also a fantastic best a while back. I think, not this time, but the one before, if I remember correctly, So I mentioned it before, But as I was watching this movie, I was like, ah, you know what it's it's kind of has those same like this would be like if you double if I double featured again, if back in the back in the day, if I could somehow double feature these to back to back would have been a night full of pizza and popcorn and oh man, oh yeah, and you know talking to with friends, Uh, you know all the next week are quoting it. You know that it just has that flavor like And so that's that's my recommendations this time excellent.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Uh, Julia, what are you have for us?
Speaker 4: A few things this time around? Once again I already said Severance, Watch Severance. Severance is awesome. Apple TV. There's a show called Paradise stirring Sterling K. Brown and it also has James Marsden and Julianne Nicholson. And I don't want to spoil anything by trying to describe it, so I'll just say what it is described at as in this headline that I'm looking at, which is political thriller and sci fi murder mystery. So I don't know, it's really good. It's yeah, it's really really good. And then if you'll recall you won't recall why would you? A while back, we uh several of us recommended School Spirits, and that is back that there's a new season of School Spirits that is a really great show about a bunch of ghosts at haunt to high school and the newest member of the gang is a girl who's trying to figure out what happened to her body and like what happened to her why she's a ghost now. And so the second season is just really awesome so far. So those are my recommendations.
Speaker 1: Thank you, what about you?
Speaker 2: I really like the new Spider Man cartoon Friendly Neighborhood spider Man on Disney Plus. It was originally going to be a prequel series to the you know, the MCU Spider Man movies, but it is gone in its own direction. It's a very it's funny because like the voice actor of Peter Parker has kind of gotten himself in the hot water by some comments he made, uh, which I'm not gonna give too much airtime too, but I will say the the show is a very progressive take on Spider Man and yet also kind of retro. Like the the art style of the show is very much inspired by John Ramita, Sr.
Speaker 3: Which I enjoy.
Speaker 2: It's a really nice looking show. I like they managed to fuse classic comment ant May and Marissa Tomey Ant May into one character, which I was impressed by. Like the character design. It has a cameo of Doctor Strange in the first episode, well not even a cameo, like it's a full Doctor Strange sequence. And you know, he doesn't look like Benedette Verdadict however you say that it doesn't look like him. He looks like the the bron Bronze Age, you know, buff Vincent Price. Uh, Doctor Strange. So there's like this classicism to it that's kind of fused with you know, some you know, modern qualities as well, which I don't know like I just the sensibility of the whole thing I just really like and I can't wait to see more of it. So there's that, and I'm not done with it. But I've really been enjoying the Saturday Night Live documentary, like the fiftieth anniversary documentary that's on Peacock Ye it's it's I'm currently we didn't get the finish it because we had I had to go record this, but we just were starting to watch the episode that was about the writer's room, and that was really damp, but you know, like and you know, very informative on just the way sketches are are put together. And you know, I just, like I said, it's it's if you're even tangently interested in Saturday Night Live, which I think most people that have been alive for like the last five decades or at least somewhat familiar with the show. You'll find something that's that's interesting about this. So yeah, I guess my two endorsements come from the world of TV. This year or this this episode.
Speaker 1: We have never I mean I dare say we've never missed an episode. It's hard to imagine. I'm sure that somewhere along the way, but we've basically watched SNL good and Bad every Saturday for as long as I can remember. It's it's just crazy to think that that there's never been a Saturday without it. For me, Thank you. My endorsement actually is Magic and Melody from Rain Knox, which is coming in just two weeks.
Speaker 4: In two weeks, so for those who don't know's wife.
Speaker 1: It is Rain is Tony's Life.
Speaker 3: But I was going to wait till then, but you know, thanks, no, I you can pre order it now. You show me up like I didn't promote her Thak two weeks in advance.
Speaker 1: I was waiting, no, no, no, But I really love this series because the series is called Animal charmer, and it's about this woman who works a regular job and realizes that she she begins to develop magic, you know, just as a as a as a regular adult. And it was just really fun that Rain who's who's this very talented composer and musician, uh, decided to write these novels about just being a regular person who who suddenly realizes that they can have magic, and that you know, and so in middle age, like you're in your thirties, you're in your forties, and and suddenly you know, your brain can start opening and you can you can have new powers and abilities. And it's a series about friendship and about magic and about music. And the second one is called Magic and Melody, and it's about this our magic user joins a choir that is being taken over by evil users of and I'm not making this up song magic And so we've taken to calling the book, which perfect because but it's it's actually called Magic and Melody by Ray Knox and it comes out February, I think it's eighteenth, February eighteenth from castle Bridge Media, So definitely check it out. That that was my endorsement. So cool, and that brings us to the end of the show. If you want to engage with this on this or if you think we called it wrong or we completely missed the point of were wolves, we are willing to hear all your thoughts, so please come by the Facebook page and let us know what you think. And thank you everybody. It's been really good hanging out with you. Bye, good night.