Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm bas Boston's Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everyone.
Speaker 3: We're done with our conversation about market Basket, but I suspect as that story evolves, we will continue to stay on top of it and appreciate everyone who called in. Beginning with well, Noel kind of got us going after Gene from Boston called and again, folks call early and give you more time, simple simple as that. I think you know the rules here. I'd like to try to hear. I like to talk with people. That's what this show is all about. And we have a very interesting person. He was with us a couple of weeks ago. Actually on May fifteenth, he was called a futurist. His name is Kevin Sirelli. Kevin, welcome back to Nightside.
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 4: I'm doing well. I actually am in Washington, DC, and I just less if anyone's familiar with Washington, DC. I just left the Marine Barricks where a friend of mine was honored tonight with a very nice record ignition, and it was an honor to be in attendance to see her receive this recognition. I do a lot of work with Blue Star Families, which is the nation's largest nonprofit serving military families, and I was really touched the chain invited me tonight, Kathy Rotuk, their CEO, so a true honor.
Speaker 2: Wells.
Speaker 3: That is great, And I know I talked with you briefly this afternoon. You were heading to a leple of meetings and you told me that you would make sure you would be out of that. Just tell us real quickly a little bit about the organization Blue Star Families.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, thank you so much for asking me that question. Blue Star Families is the nation's largest nonprofit serving military families. Now, I did not serve in the military. My grandfathers did. Only one percent of Americans serve in the military currently, and I believe that we've got to be a bridge for the ninety nine percent of us who don't serve, to have the backs of the family members of those who do serve. And so Blue Star Families helps to serve the family unit of the service members, so their spouses, their kids when they're relocating or when their parent is serving or stationed overseas. And so we partner with iconic American brands, but also just local communities and small businesses to really help have the backs of the military, and Kathy is the CEO and co founder of the organization and she's grown it since she started it sixteen years ago into serving hundreds of thousands of military families. And it is really just an incredible organization. So I would encourage folks to go to Blue Star Families website at blue starfam dot org and learn more about our big slogan is do your part, So do your part to support military families. This year, the military turns two hundred and fifty years old. And I think sometimes, as Kathy reminds us, we forget that there have been families serving alongside the service member all the way back the Revolutionary War. Uh and so now more than ever, that the threat is still real, that the challenges are different and in many ways even greater. So it's an amazing organization. I could talk about it for the whole hour, but I know, I know we're going to talk about the future. But the folks securing our future, the brave men and women serving our country and their families.
Speaker 3: Very much, much, very much involved in that. I'm very much involved with a group called Hope for the Warriors.
Speaker 2: But organization, yeah, buddy of mind.
Speaker 3: Jack Marin who is a great NBA player for many years is the is retired attorney and a pal of mine.
Speaker 2: I knew when he played in the NBA.
Speaker 3: And uh and Jack is the chairman of that group these days and uh uh they we get involved in and I've Robin kellaher as the CEO if you if you know the group. So there's a lot of great military groups out there who are serving various and uh and and different needs and uh uh, my hat's off to you for what you're doing.
Speaker 5: And I'm.
Speaker 4: Just a help honored to be affiliated.
Speaker 3: I'm glad that when I would mention hope for the Warriors, you would know what I'm talking about that it's a it's a great organization as well. So we're going to talk about the future, and this hour we want to talk about the future of medicine. And there have been some developments just in the last few weeks which frankly boggle my mind. There's now, I guess, amongst other things, a blood test for people who might be predisposed to it ultimately if they were to live long enough contracting Alzheimer's. Let's take a few of these, because I know you know a lot more about them, uh and and I want to just have you hit some of those. I know that there was some work done on an infant recently, all of which amazes me. Amazes me. Let's talk about the Alzheimer's test. Where is that at this point? That's something that people are more and more aware.
Speaker 4: Of, So, you know, I would take a step back when I founded Meet the Future, and you can subscribe to it on our subtac daily newsletters Sunday through Thursday, one of the most read futuristic newsletters in the nation, and our website MTF dot tv, which we're excited to relaunch in the coming weeks. But I really took a hard look at health because so much of the story right now, as artificial intelligence is coming and it's gonna take everyone's shops. I don't buy that for a second, by the way, but I actually wanted to report out what is the science doing and the technology doing, and it's happening so quickly that a couple of years ago this would be the lead story on the nightly news or in the Boston Globe. And the fact of the matter is everything that we're going to talk about tonight happened in the span of the last month you mentioned Alzheimer's. So it used to be really hard in order to find out. It used to take months if you had Alzheimer's or where Alzheimer's was. And everyone listening can know someone who suffered from Alzheimer's or dementia, or Parkinson's or Huntington's disease. We can all think of watching that horror and it really is a horror.
Speaker 3: And by the way, correct me if I'm wrong, Kevin, I don't mean to interrupt, but I believe that.
Speaker 2: Twenty twenty five years ago, they couldn't even diagnose Alzheimer's when the person was alive. It could only be diagnosed definitively through an autopsy exactly.
Speaker 4: And so now we're living at a time to your point where we no longer have to think is it a crapshoot if we end up like that? And so what science is did a couple of weeks ago and the FDA just cleared it as they're able to detect early Alzheimer's in a blood test. So why is that important? Because now when you go to the doctor very soon in the coming months, if you're above the age of fifty five, you can get blood drawn and they'll be able to look at your blood work and say, hey, you are pretty disposed to this. Now, this question in science fiction is not reality of why would you want to know? Or if it's early on set, if there's no cure, well, folks, it doesn't work like an action movie. Okay. Really, there are treatments that can help augment some of the effects, and the science is moving so quickly that you might want to know. You might want to be able to plan for your family, your future, your loved ones, and you might actually be even open to getting other different types of treatments. So knowledge is power, and the fact of the matter is if we can take Alzheimer's out of it for a second, if they're able to figure it out with a blood test for Alzheimer's, it's a really good sign, based on my reporting from Meet the Future, that other illnesses and diseases might soon be able to be identified through a blood test as well.
Speaker 3: My guest is Kevin Sirelli. We're going to drill down on this Alzheimer's story a little bit. We're also going to talk about some of the other things that have happened in the last just the last couple of months, which it just seems as if the pace is moving so quickly. We'll we'll open up phone lines. If you want to ask a question, make a comment, feel free six one seven, two, five, four ten thirty six seven nine three one ten thirty. Often with guests like Kevin, people all wait until the end to ask their question and we run out of time. So please don't let that happen to you tonight. Feel free to join the conversation.
Speaker 4: UH.
Speaker 3: We will have Kevin with us for the entire hour, but the hour is already fifty minutes gone, so advice to the wy style of early six one seven, two, five four ten thirty six one seven, nine three one ten thirty. My guess Kevin Sorelli, Meet the Future. We will get back to Kevin and to your phone calls and a more conversation. Right after these messages.
Speaker 1: You're on night Side with Dan Ray on WZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: I guess this is Kevin Sirelli. He is a futurist. He writes on substack. He also has a website MTF for Meetthefuture dot TV. We'll talk about that, uh, and we'll give you all sorts of ways in which you can get in touch with him and follow him. But I want to go back to this Alzheimer's test. It is a simple blood test which the FBA FDA has now approved. How long had that been in the approval process? I mean again, it's this is important to know that this has just happened and there have been efforts made on this. This is not something that someone an idea, someone came up with yesterday.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, it takes years to be blunt and from and then as it goes to the FDA, that's.
Speaker 7: That's at least a year.
Speaker 4: But when you look even for what it means for when it will actually start trickling down, it's and the way that they were able to get this through is because of technology. And that's really what met the future focuses in on. Are those those collisions between the science, the technology, and the human experience. And to be able to have American innovation be able to identify something of this nature and for now, the everyday person in our country, when they're older than the age of fifty five, to be able to again go to their doctor draw blood and then be able to almost immediately look at their blood results and you know, see if their lives or their loved ones lives are going to change, you know, on how what they want to do with that information is really quite remarkable.
Speaker 3: And and by the way, with this, as I understand that we're not we're talking about a simple blood test, no spinal tap, no scan or anything like that.
Speaker 4: No spinal tap exactly, I mean, or pet scan or anything like that. And and I think that again, like even the amount of time and effort and agony and anxiety that that those type that that process and procedure, which by the way, was another major medical advancement at one time, but all of that goes away over the next few years. And so it really is a remarkable, remarkable thing. And again one of the things is i've been reporting this, the conversation that comes up is, well, why would you want to know if But I I call bluff on that. I think that knowledge is power and information is key, and it's because science is moving so rapidly. Things can change, you know, on the month, and so if you're aware of what is happening to your loved one's brain, and I'd love you know. I did a piece on super agers, which scienceists are are reporting on who are folks who are in their eighties and nineties who have the brain cognitivity of someone in their thirties and forties, and they're mapping the brain using artificial intelligence at Northwestern University. And because of that, if you're able to really study your own brain more, you're able to treat yourself better and your loved one's better.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And the other thing, which again I want to just touch on quickly here, scientists in Britain have been able to shrink a brain tumor diagnos time from eight weeks to two hours using real time DNA sequencing and surgery. So they shrunk the brain tumor or does it does it take uh? Does it take less time to basically diagnosis? I'm a little confused about what I'm.
Speaker 4: Reading here, Yeah, brains, It's confusing. So essentially, this is another major wind that just happened in the last few months that we reported on Meet the Future, which is previously there is a certain type of brain cancer that if anyone who has had to suffer with this, and it's it's a horrible, horrible illness. If any of anyone's folks have been impacted by this, and the diagnostic time can sometimes take months, and so in this one particular case, what they were able to do is to look at the DNA sequencing and to be able to figure out in the o R in two hours if an individual has this type of cancer, and again to two hours versus two months. When you're diagnosing something of that as deadly as cancer in the brain, that can be really, really horrific. And so the science and the technology had been able to dramatically speed up the time that it takes in order to make these diagnose it. So, whether it's Alzheimer's, whether it's brain cancer, it's again the technology has just come so so far.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's get to some phone calls. Going to go. Don't want people to have to wait. Let me go to John in New York State.
Speaker 3: John, you're on with Kevin SURRILLI meet the Future and we're talking about the future of medicine.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, John, Yes, thank you, Dan to taking my call. Hi, Kevin, Can I start out asking a question about myself that I wonder what your vife would be, what I should do?
Speaker 2: Sure you try. I give it a shot.
Speaker 3: He's not a doctor, but let's see what you give it a shot, go ahead.
Speaker 6: I had the situation at at times I don't remember the names of people that I knew, and sometimes three hours later and I come into my head, is there something going on that I should have looked at?
Speaker 2: Or what? How old are you? John? John? How old are you?
Speaker 6: I'm seventy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 3: I don't think that's abnormal for people of a certain age. Is these people who you should recall their name? I mean, I have a situation where I can meet someone and then three months later you bump into them again, and you know, you know the face, but you haven't connected the name of the face. I think that's fairly normal. But we'll see what Kevin has to say. Kevin, go ahead.
Speaker 4: You know again, I just want to reiterate I am not a doctor at all, but I do appreciate your question. And I did a story for Meet the Future earlier this week on what scientists are are calling super agers. And super agers are folks who are aging into their eighties. They're not nineties, even above one hundred, and they're studying but they have the same brain memory as folks in their thirties and forties, and so scientists are studying these super agers brains and their habits that they do every day, and some of the trends are really quite remarkable. There's a part of the brain when you get older, according to these sciences, that typically shrinks or gets inflamed, and that can sometimes have impacts on memory. But what I found really powerful is that only thirty percent, according to these sciences, of your brain is because of genetics, So that means seventy percent of your brain you really can help with help. So things like doing a daily ritual, or getting some exercise, or drinking water, or reading a book and finishing it and going on a walk and talking to your friends, that actually can help to help your brain stay fit. The same way that we go to the gym to work on our muscles. The argument is your brain is a muscle, and so to help your brain to do all of those things can sometimes improve your brain health.
Speaker 6: You know, just a quick thing, though, Dan, there's a gentleman by the name of Ricky C who used to live in Franklin. He asked me to stay a low to you because he knows who you are, but I don't think you'd know him.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's fine.
Speaker 3: It's always good to meet old friends coming back to you. Are the people who's who you're having difficulty recollecting their name?
Speaker 2: John? Are they people who you know? Well? Are they people who you have met only once or twice?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 6: I mean this, gentleman, I just told you about Ricky C. I mean he works in the same building at General Electric and Schenectady with me, and I mean I've dealt with him many times. Yeah, and I'm asking him tonight what his name is. And it's like I feel like embarrassed and you know, guilty, like why the hell? And you know that's that's an example of that. Of course, I still remember what he told me, maybe just twenty minutes ago. Yeah, Okay.
Speaker 3: What my experience has been that when you're in a particularly let us say, when you're in some sort of a party situation and I don't know, maybe you know, I will have Kevin comment on my comment if you want, uh, and you meet thirty people in thirty minutes, and it's one of those high how.
Speaker 2: Are you what's your name? For me? That oftentimes the name blows.
Speaker 3: Right by me unless someone I knew, and then you might meet them in the hallway or in an elevator. A month later and it's like, you know, you know you've met the person, you remember that.
Speaker 2: But Kevin, that's that's what my experience is.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 4: And I jumped in here and I'd say this, you know, listen, I'm Catholic. I'm not a perfect Catholic. Who's you know, And I'm not I'm not a preacher. But you know, I remember growing up and one of my Sunday school teachers said to me, I think it was I want to say this lady, this poet maya Angelou and but but don't hold me to it. That was the lady that my Sunday school teacher was quoting que and she said, people people don't remember what you said, they remember how you made them feel. And so to your point, then, I think, at the end of the day, it names the name. But if you can remember what the individual, if they're a good person, and how they made you feel, honestly, isn't that more important?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I think you know, look, John, if you have trouble remembering the name of your next door neighbor who's lived next door to you for thirty years, uh, that's that's something you should be concerned about.
Speaker 2: And talking with the doctor about.
Speaker 3: But again, and the other thing which I find John, and I don't know if this is helpful to you when you meet people in what I would call out of context situation.
Speaker 2: So let's assume.
Speaker 3: You know somebody fairly well and you're in I don't know, you're just in a totally different someone who you know at the gym. You go to the gym and you know their names, okay, and hey, you know right, Joe High, Pete and all of that, and then I don't know, you're at a ballpark or you're at a supermarket, and it's a totally different context. I think that at that point you're going to say, I know this person, but where do I That's sort of my experience, and so you try to keep a little sharper. The other thing what you can do is Jerry Lucas, the great basketball player who played at Ohio State and then with the Cincinnati Royals, his teammate of Oscar Robertson back in the sixties and seventies. He wrote a book many years ago called The Memory Book. And I remember having Jerry Lucas on the show, and he had the ability to walk into a room, uh be introduced to like a hundred people. And he then, would you know, walk out of the room, walk back in the room ten minutes later, having memorized the name of every person in the room. And he just had this tremendous instant recall which nobody else would have. And he explained that he was able to associate some physical feature with the person, either their height, or their their hairdoo, or the shape of their ears, or their you know, whether they wore glasses or not. And he he would he this was almost like a stick that he had, and he made quite a good living at it going around. It's called the Memory Book. If you can get out of the library, you might be interested in reading it.
Speaker 6: Can I tell you my issue?
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead, Kevin.
Speaker 4: My issue is I got a dog. My dog's name is Steo. So I take my dog Steo to the dog park. I don't know if anyone who's listening has pets or has a dog. I know my neighbors dogs names more than I know their names.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then and I'll be talking to people at the dog parker and I'm thinking, I don't know who the heck is person. I mean, I know that they're I know that they're you know, Gemma's dog, dad or mom. But but it's it's crazy, so you gotta when you go to the dog park, you gotta remember two names.
Speaker 2: Crazy.
Speaker 6: So I struggle with it.
Speaker 3: I think you're okay, John, but talk to you doctor as well, like anything like that.
Speaker 6: Okay, I had one other thing, you know, just you probably don't remember you told me the last time. You told me a couple of things last time I called, and you said cal earlier because I'm always call in the last five minutes, but you okay, go ahead. I did also that, Uh, you probably don't remember what the woman the new relationship I'm in, and I.
Speaker 3: Do remember you mentioned me a lady from the Philippines, and I was I'm a little worried about that, right right.
Speaker 8: Right, right right.
Speaker 6: Everything's so far, so good. But I'll update you and I you know, I know more.
Speaker 2: Have you met her yet, John, or no?
Speaker 6: No, she's she was at the embassy getting a Lisa in a best place today.
Speaker 2: Well, John, I wish you the best of luck on that one.
Speaker 6: In the motion she's in the motion of getting ready to come.
Speaker 3: Okay, we just remember if she's looking for you to buy the airplane ticket.
Speaker 2: Be careful. Okay, that's all I'm saying, simple as that.
Speaker 6: Hey, you know, some three people today told me that I want to tell you something. I was a frequent flyer for thirty years on the airlines I have I have half a million air miles. So I'm gonna get her a free ticket. What the heck? I'm okay, that's why.
Speaker 2: Just don't give her your bank account. John, All, I'm telling you your bank account.
Speaker 8: That's all would all right, I gotta go.
Speaker 2: Good luck, keep us posted, send us pictures. Thanks, Okay, good guy.
Speaker 3: This might be one of the longest, most long distance night side marriages that have ever occurred. John has met someone through a program who lives in the Philippines.
Speaker 8: Belief Man.
Speaker 6: I have anxiety. Yeah, I have anxiety.
Speaker 8: John.
Speaker 4: He seems like a nice guy, but you know, candidly, he's wearing his heart on his sleeve. I got anxiety. I hope he's careful. I hope he's real careful with that. That's all I'm gonna say.
Speaker 2: I'm with you.
Speaker 3: I'm totally with you on that one. I've given him his Miranda rights here. So anyway, you take a break, take a break, it's the Ted thirty four. If you want to talk to my guest, Kevin Cirelli, Meet the Future with a couple of other medical breakthroughs we want to make you aware of, just to give you a sense. I mean, no one can keep up with everything that's going on, but what is being done medically, it is just it's it's moving exponentially, folks, and it's going to benefit future generations, maybe generations that are alive today, maybe people who.
Speaker 2: Are older today. So you just never know.
Speaker 3: I know that I've done a couple of blood tests which were recommended to me by my doctor, not because he felt they had a problem, where they can screen for cancer. I'm going to talk to Kevin about those. I'm sure he knows a lot about those as well. I got Brad and Milwaukee coming up, and we got to take the news.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back. I got some open lines, folks, six four, ten thirty. Don't be shy.
Speaker 3: Don't assume the question that is in your mind is going to be asked by someone else.
Speaker 2: SIXE Back on night Side right after this.
Speaker 1: If you're on night Side with Dan Ray on WAZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 3: My guest Kevin Sir Ellie Kevin, I do have some other issues. I want to talk about what happened with this uh young infant in Philadelphia.
Speaker 4: I love this story. This is a great story.
Speaker 3: I hit this one quickly and then we got a bunch of calls. We want to get to this baby's life is saved after doctors rewrote.
Speaker 4: His DNA, they edited the genetic decide. This is this is an a miracle and and I love this story because it happened at Philadelphia. Of course I grew up outside of Philly, so I'm but and this story, by the way, would have been should have gotten way more coverage than it did. This was only a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 3: I did see this one on the nightly news, but it was just passed over very.
Speaker 9: Quickly, exactly.
Speaker 4: And yeah it got some pick up, but that I it. So this kid, Connor had had a horrible I'm talking this is a baby. It's not even an get horrible rare genetic defect that you know, I really hate talking like this about babies. But would have been a death sentence, okay, and the the the doctors were able to go in and rewrite the DNA sequencing and fix the genetic defect and the kid was able to live. Now, this not only was the first time that this procedure has ever been done in the United States of the America, but this is the first time this procedure has been done anywhere on the planet. Okay, this is huge and the implications are so so far reaching.
Speaker 2: And so.
Speaker 4: This is just such a medical miracle. It's it's incredible that it was done. And it just goes to show you how fast this stuff is happening and the hope that this gives for going forward for babies that are born. I think it's an amazing, amazing medical What is.
Speaker 3: The prognosis or is it too early to provide a prognosis for this infant?
Speaker 4: You know, if it is too early, But the early indicators is that this procedure worked. But obviously, I mean, he's a baby, so or so we'll have to see, you know, what will happen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, let's get righty in perspective. To put this story in perspective. Do you remember when the conjoined twins were separated.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's about twenty years ago.
Speaker 4: That's that's the level of how amazing this person. That's that's how incredible.
Speaker 3: This story is I can join twins and if I'm not mistaken, wasn't Ben Carson involved in that procedure?
Speaker 4: You know? I I want to say yes, but that I don't.
Speaker 3: I think it might have been involved in that. He was one of the surgens involved. But my question is obviously co co join twins, particularly conjoin conjoined quins twins uh in the skull area? Which is that case I believe that you're talking about. It's it was extraordinary and and that has to be literally one in a million or one in five million. But whatever the that that's still occasionally still happens. Are they able now? Is that become more of as for and you know this more than I. Has that become a standard procedure where could co join twins can be separated? Or was that I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm not gonna be yet. I'm not going to I guess.
Speaker 3: Well, I would think that once that, once it is done successfully, it can cur That's something that gets in the medical journals. And okay, let's keep rolling here. Got to go to Brad and Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Hey Brad, welcome, You're next on Nightside. Thanks for checking in. I don't think we've ever heard from you before, Brad.
Speaker 5: No, first time.
Speaker 2: I got to give you a.
Speaker 3: Round of applause as the first time caller here on Nightside. Simple as that, go right ahead, you're on with my guest, Kevin Sirelli.
Speaker 5: Great show, Kevin. My question is if the research that's being done on Alzheimer's currently, is there any relationship or is there any help to the research with autism.
Speaker 4: That's a great question. That's a great, great question. I didn't see based on my reporting, and again I'm not a doctor. I didn't see based on my reporting, any that would indicate that this test could be applicable the autism. But I do think that's a great question that you asked, But nothing from my reporting that I see that the Alzheimer's blood tests would somehow be utilized for autism.
Speaker 5: And just as I fall off from that last point, does this DNA rewriting and that effect if there's a way to figure that THETIS has the autism gene or can the DNA be written to correct that.
Speaker 4: So that's another great question, the DNA editing. And when I was reporting this out, what essentially the comparison that I'll make is DNA is sequencing. It's essentially a computer code, for lack of a better analogy, and so what the doctors in Philly were able to figure out was they were able to identify the portion of the code that is the genetic defect disease, and they were able to edit that in the sequencing in order to fix the problems. I think of it truly as a computer code. And so to your point, as research continues to evolve, what researchers are going to be looking and into the genetic sequencing are for irregularities. But again I want to be crystal clear here, nothing in my reporting it touched autism in any way, shape or form based on the story that I covered. But the broader part of the looking into the genetic sequencing is something that is a topic that scientists are looking into based on my reporting.
Speaker 3: Bred if I could jump in, Brad, this is Dan Ray. I worked for many years. I didn't do work on autism, but I worked for many years with a group called the New England Center for Children in Southborough, Massachusetts. Raised a lot of money. They deal with kids with autism. As you know, the the frequency of autism kids being diagnosed with autism is substantially greater. And for me, the question always is is the is the prevalence of the condition more now or is it simply being recognized as more. The one thing that was always impressed upon me by the physicians and the professionals is that a lot of the concerns I know dealt with inoculations and whether or not that was, you know, contributing to the increase. And most of the scientists and the doctors that I've talked to say that is just not so. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong, Brad, you may know more about this than I do.
Speaker 2: That The new h h and S Secretary of Health and Human Services Secretary, Robert F. Kennedy Junior, has.
Speaker 3: Basically said he hopes to find the cause of autism by this September. That seems to me to be fairly ambitious. But I believe that's what I have heard Kennedy report. Am I Kevin, does that ring a bell with you or no?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, he's definitely shaking things up, and I think, you know, I whether it's in the fall or he definitely is putting He's definitely talking about autism a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But I thought he would.
Speaker 3: I thought he's he's that he was saying that we we should have a definitive cause by September, which I think is way too ambitious.
Speaker 5: But I think I think, I think I did hear that also, Dan, and I thought that was extremely aggressive. But Kevin, I appreciate your answer. Dan, I appreciate you show. You do a great job. Keep it up, Brett.
Speaker 2: Have you listened to us before or is this like you just happened to find us tonight.
Speaker 5: No, I'm a talk show radio junkie. When I was little in Milwaukee. He used to have a transistor radio listens radio.
Speaker 2: Sure it's Chicago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well I was a radio junkie as a kid, and I worked in TV for thirty one years and I've been doing radio now for eighteen.
Speaker 2: So same same here.
Speaker 3: I hope you'll walk us in and all your devices and become a regular.
Speaker 5: I am a regular.
Speaker 2: Thanks, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: All right, I gotta take a quick break here. We're thirteen minutes. I got three calls. We're going to get to everybody, I promised my guest, Kevin Sorelli, Meet the Future. MTF dot tv is your website if I'm not. I'm correct on that.
Speaker 4: That is correct. You're a hint of the future of what we're building for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I get it. I got it.
Speaker 3: I got it. And it's not e du that's for sure, but it's dot TV. We'll be back at nights Side with my guest Kevin Sirelli. He is a futurist. We're talking about the future of medicine back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Night Side, Dan Ray on see Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 3: All right, let me go to Joe and Lynn. Joe, you are on Welcome with Kevin Surrell. Meet the Future right ahead.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Kevin, thanks for taking my call. Kevin, what about prostate cancer? I know some people that have it, well.
Speaker 4: I think you know, you know it's a it's another great question. The study that they found for Alzheimer's and in particular, the hope is that that this will be able to that this will be able to cut back on the time for the diagnosis. I have not done any reporting, and I'm just I'm a straight shooter. I'm not a BS artist and I saw I just want to level with you. I have not done any reporting on prostate cancer or the technology around it. But now that you've asked me the question, if you go to my substack meetthfuture dot substack dot com, I can you have my words, sir. Over the next couple of weeks, I'll look into that for you and I'll i'll try to report and see.
Speaker 7: I am not too good on the computer, but that's okay. I asked because the Amish don't have much problems with disease, and I've heard it stem cell research would help this, so that's why I mentioned it. Prostate cancer, Well.
Speaker 3: You know, Joe, I've this, Dan, I've never heard that. There are lots of theories out there. Obviously, the belief I believe in terms of prostate cancer is that if adult men live long enough vers everyone would get prostate cancer. And in some cases that's why they were not testing either PSA or the physical test on prostate cancer.
Speaker 2: Which may have I think. I don't think.
Speaker 3: President former President Biden was tested after the age of seventy because there was a theory. And Kevin can jump in here. He knows more about this than I do. That after a certain point, if you did were not diagnosed with state cancer, you were thought that it would that you would live.
Speaker 2: And die of a different of a different ailment.
Speaker 3: Obviously, I think that that sort of judgments are being re evaluated in view of what.
Speaker 2: Apparently has happened to form a president Biden.
Speaker 4: Kevin and I did do a story this week on the scientists who were looking at the parts of the world where there's the highest concentration of humans who are above the age of one hundred and healthy. And it is interesting you mentioned the Amish, but there's a there's a place in Japan that's number one that is the highest concentration of people who are living above the age of one hundred. It's called a blue zone. That's what the scientists dubbed these places. Number two is Italy, and number three and I'm sorry, the only blue zone in America is in Low Melinda, California. And so I mentioned this because you mentioned Amish. But you know a lot of Native Americans and and other folks who rely on more who have a healthier lifestyle quite honestly than some of our modern way of life, can learn a lot food exactly exactly.
Speaker 3: You're right, You're right, less less processed food, which it goes is something that coming back to HHN S Secretary Kennedy has has talked about getting a lot of the process stuff, a lot of the uh the color additives now out of you know.
Speaker 2: Candies and and and food.
Speaker 4: Amen.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, thanks Joe, got to keep it. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Let me go next to Robert in Wellesley. Robert getting a little tight on time. Want to get you in a couple more.
Speaker 2: In goright ahead, Robert. You Kevin Sorelli, Meet the Future mtf TV.
Speaker 9: Good evening to you and your guests. Mister Kevin Sorelli. Interesting topic, Thank you for having. It's like, I don't want to be persumptuous, but you know, but I'd like to say that in some ways we can meet the future now or the future is now. That's another expression you're familiar with that that is we have existing research that that goes unutilized. And one example is the is baby sign language which became which has become popular and better known, but actually it was a It was rediscovered by a psychologist who also happened to be a sign language and interpreter. And another side of that you may be familiar with is that this research that uh that sign that sign language study and practice can can prevent delay or mitigate mental confusion, including UH including dementia. The UH and one this may be related to something else you may be familiar with that hearing loss is the has been said to be the single most controllable factor and in dementia, in dementia prevention. Do you want me to stop there?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've just thrown a lot at us late in the show here, Robert, I'm not sure what Kevin Kevin I would say.
Speaker 4: Is learning the language, whether it's sign language or or whether it's other Learning language is a great way to exercise your brain. And one of the things that the scientists have found for superagers is that they're constantly learning new skills. So definitely something to consider in an era where some of our devices and technology are increasingly becoming translators.
Speaker 9: Yes, thank you. That's that's another factor to the fact that it is language study, and that's also in general that's been found to be beneficial. Thank you for considering my topic. I wish I had time to elaborate on it.
Speaker 3: Yes, thank you, Thanks Robert. Absolutely talk soon. Let me go to Ron and Newton. Rony're next on Night Side with Kevin Sirelli.
Speaker 8: Meet the Future, Go right ahead, n I and hi Kevin, thanks for being on the show. Just two quick questions. Quite a while ago, there was a move towards using more pharnaco genomics, that is, the understanding of single nucleartide polymorphisms and and how that impacts disease than where we could take advantage of that using therapeutics. For example, we could we could identify who would do better with on methotrexity treating colon cancer. Some people have greater side effects and some have less.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 8: And the other thing that's along the same lines is this the new biologics have made great progress in terms of treating inflammatory disease, for example in military artsritis. What are your thoughts on on those two areas.
Speaker 4: I got nothing for you. You gave me a lot to report on. I'm not going to be as you were saying words I was, I was. I gotta do my I'm not gonna sit here and pretend like I know what you're talking about. I have not reported on that.
Speaker 3: So Ron is a medical professional and and I am not. That's okay, that's okay, that's he's taken some notes, f Ron.
Speaker 2: Those are good questions.
Speaker 8: Okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Like lady.
Speaker 3: Let me let me shoot real quickly. I'm going to try for two. I don't know if I can.
Speaker 2: Jony and Pennsylvania. Jony next on, Nice, I go ahead.
Speaker 8: I would like to know do you think you'll be a blood test for sugar mental mental illnesses and.
Speaker 5: Will be a cure for mental illness.
Speaker 3: I think that's a great question, and I would I would, I would be optimistic.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Kevin.
Speaker 4: I definitely think that the more research that we have, especially as we understand the brain, that that that will be a huge huge factor in treating mental illness. Whether or not there's a blood test for it, I think, I think that there will be increasingly more and more treatments for mental illness. But whether or not there's a blood test, I don't know. But the treatment for it is such a huge factor. And I can tell you this, Joni. And I don't know what part of PA you're in because I grew up in Delaware County, Pennsylvania. So I'm a huge Pennsylvania person and a huge fan of Pennsylvania. But I will tell you this. Thank you for your question, because there should be no stigma around mental health, Okay, and I appreciate that question, because the more we talk about it, then the more we can we have more of a chance to talk in about treatment for it that everyone can have access for it. It's a crisis in this country and we in order to have a better future for our country, we got to talk. We gotta address it head on. And let me tell you something. We can't just let big Pharma dictate the terms of the agreement. We all have to step up and talk about it to address it.
Speaker 2: Well, great points, Jonny.
Speaker 3: By the way, just you know, two nights ago, I was in Montreal at a big event concerned with mental illness.
Speaker 2: You know. So it's across all borders.
Speaker 3: And I'm pretty confident, Joni, because a lot of people are able to deal with mental illness now, uh if they stick with the medications, and I think that eventually we'll we'll have some breakthrough. So thanks for the question. It was a really good one, Joni. Thank you, Thank you, You're welcome. Kevin has always thank you.
Speaker 2: Kevin. Folks can get.
Speaker 3: In touch with you at the website is MTF for Meet the Future MTF dot tv.
Speaker 4: Yes, and go to my substack subscribe. Thank you everybody, Dan, thank you as always, It's such an honor, and you're you got such a great program, and your listeners are incredible.
Speaker 2: I have some smarts. I have smart listeners. Don't.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm listening. I've done many many shows I've been on. You know this about me?
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: And your listeners are Those are some of the smartest questions and I deeply, deeply respect this. You got to know your stuff when you're coming on your show.
Speaker 2: Well, the other thing, too, is try doing it four hours at night. Five it's a week. I got to keep up with some of these people. Thanks.
Speaker 4: I love my heart Radio, my friend.
Speaker 2: So thanks Kevin.
Speaker 3: We'll talk soon. Thanks so much. I really enjoyed it tonight. Well we get back. We got the twentieth hour, and I got a question. My question at the twentieth hour is going to be would you want to know? Kevin mentioned it earlier, if there was something, would you want to know in advance what you were going to deal with, five, ten, fifteen, twenty years down the line.
Speaker 2: Back on Night's side. After this