Speaker 1: You're listening to wake Up Call on demand from KFI AM six.
Speaker 2: Forty KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 4: Good morning. It's five o'clock straight up for Monday, May twelfth. This is your wake up Call. I'm Heather Brooker in for Amy King. It is my last run on the wake Up Call.
Speaker 2: Amy.
Speaker 4: We'll be back tomorrow. We are so excited to welcome her back.
Speaker 5: But we have a lot of stories.
Speaker 4: She's gonna she's gonna have stories, I'm sure, but we have a lot of good stories today as well. Before we get to those, I want to say good morning to everybody. Good morning to Kono, good morning, and good morning to producer, and good morning Heather.
Speaker 5: I'm though.
Speaker 4: And then Will, Hey, you know I've heard to tell people not only do we work at KTLA together, we were also at NBC Ish. No we were there. We literally well no, we were there at the same time. I'm so Will, and I go way back. Where are you going next?
Speaker 6: Let me know? Right?
Speaker 4: What do you know?
Speaker 5: I know?
Speaker 4: Also, I want to say, you know, just a quick good morning to everybody who's listening on the iHeartRadio app. On Friday, I was asking everyone if you're listening live, or if you're listening in your car, or if you listen through the app. And I got so many wonderful responses for people. We've got someone in Louisville, Kentucky. She is listening through the app. She it's her favorite thing to rise and shine to. Jason says he's listening in Columbus, Ohio. Hey, Jason Lynn is listening. She listens every morning at five o'clock. So thank you guys so much. Just a few of the people who message me. Also, how beautiful was this moon today? That's one thing Amy and I both have a common We love the moon. We'd love signance stories and space stories. So we'd love to hear from you guys again today if you're listening, what stories you're most looking forward to this week or today? Or maybe just what you have play for the day, or what'd you do for Mother's Day? I don't know. We just want to hear from you. Drop a little drop, a little note on that callback button. All right, here's what's ahead on wakeup call. Dozens of people had to be rescued from beaches as temperatures soared during the weekend heat wave. Lifeguards say they responded to numerous heat related incidents, prompting officials to urge caution and hydration during the extreme weather. And the Lazoo is facing a lawsuit over plans to move its elephants, Billy and Tina to a zoo in Tulsa, and the sue calls for an injunction, arguing the animals should go to a sanctuary instead. In Florida, two kids, a ten year old Jabbari Solomon and four year old Charlie Rivieria, lost their lives when a Dodge Durango driven by Miami Hurricanes linebacker Adarius Hayes collided with their families Kia. Seventy eight year old woman, the driver of the Kia, also died. Hayes sustained non life threatening injuries. Please say there was no signs of any impairment. And here's what's ahead. On wake up call at five oh five, your house might be sinking, and not because of a bad foundation. A new study reveals what's really happening beneath our feet and why it's way worse than we thought. At five point twenty, a potential breakthrough in the Israel Hamas conflict. Amma says the release of American Israeli soldier Eden Alexander is part of a step towards a broader ceasefire. And at five point thirty five, she wrote a student op ed and ended up in a detention center. The story of rumescia os Turk, a Turkish grad student, raises major questions about immigration, free speech, and how far the Trump administration is willing to go. At five point fifty, they've opened for comedy and music legends, earned praise from Jack Black, and built a cult following in just under two years. We'll talk to the Wolves of Glendale about the band's meteoric rise and the serious musicians ship behind their not so serious songs. Then it's six zh five. It's handle on the news. The White House says they've reached a trade deal with China, as the two countries negotiated for a second day in Switzerland. We're going to tell you which has to say about that. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty five our newsroom. A seventeen year old has been arrested for allegedly killing a twelve year old in Compton.
Speaker 1: The suspect was arrested in Los Angeles on Sunday morning, less than two days after the younger boy was shot to death at fig Oleander Park. Police say the suspect left the park before officers arrived, but he was identified through evidence fund at the scene and tracked down Daniel Martindale KFI News three.
Speaker 4: Sentencing hearing for the Menandez brothers is being held this week. Erica Lyle Mendez had been serving life sentences for murdering their parents in nineteen eighty nine in the family home in Beverly Hills. A once celebrated educator in San Diego has fallen from grace.
Speaker 7: A former teacher of the Year has been sentenced to thirty years in prison for sexually abusing two of her sixth grade students. Prosecutor say Jaqueline Ma taught at Lincoln Acres Elementary and National City and was named San Diego County's Teacher of the Year in twenty twenty two. Prosecutors say she groomed the boys with gifts, food, and special attention, and even did their homework. Mop pleaded guilty in February and apologized in court. Life last week during sentencing, calling her actions selfish and a disgrace to the teaching profession. Brigita Degasino ok if I News a.
Speaker 4: New study shows that land subsidence, the gradual sinking of the ground, isn't just a coastal issue tied to sea level rise. We go down to ABC's Jim Ryan, who's in North Texas, one of the fastest sinking areas in the US.
Speaker 8: GYM.
Speaker 4: What's causing all this?
Speaker 9: Yeah, southern Califoria. You guys get it both ways, both from the coast, you know, with rising shoreline, rising seas, the sea level is rising, and then Los Angeles is kind of sinking into the ground, not as dramatically as some other parts of the country Chicago, for example, San Antonio, Texas, New York. They're all sinking at a faster rate than Los Angeles. But worst of all is here in Texas, Dallas and for Worth, where I am. It's sinking at about five millimeters per year, Houston about six millimeters per year, and some parts of Houston are sinking at a rate of about two inches per year. So yeah, it's pretty dramatic.
Speaker 4: All right, So how does groundwater play into this phenomenon groundwater extraction.
Speaker 9: Yes, well, because a city like Houston, you know, as it grows, what does it need? What do those people need, those millions of people, they need water. And so you pull the water up out of the ground, pull the water up out of the ground, and what's left is a space, right, and so's filling that space is the ground above it. And that ground, along with the buildings and cars and freeways on top of it, falls down into fill that gap. Now, it's not like a sinkhole that develops on the ten and is there overnight and it's gone the next day after it's been fixed. This takes years and years and years to progress. But it's over a much wider region as well, and there's more waters drawn out, the quicker the rate of sinking.
Speaker 4: No, I've heard stories about how we're sinking here in la as well. So what are some of the signs that we should look out for that our home might be affected?
Speaker 9: Well, that's your home, yeah, I mean cracks in the walls or in the ceiling or the foundation. Having issues in a place where you thought everything was good and you run on bedrock and maybe you were, but if that bedrock is sinking down into the ground. You might still have some shifting and some problems in your own home, but the big scheme of things, the big big picture of communities like San Jose and Jacksonville, Florida, they have more to worry about. They've got to try to figure out how to address this issue, and city planners need to find ways to keep it from happening in the future, finding different places to build our cities and different sources of water so that we're not sinking ourselves.
Speaker 4: And I know you talked to a little bit about what city planners need to do. Is it more of like an overarching federal issue? Do you think if it's happening more widespread across the US, Well.
Speaker 9: It seems as though it's kind of a local issue because it's local communities that are figuring out their own water needs right in figuring out where that needs to come from. Certainly federal resources will be used I suspect in addressing it in the future, but for now, it's just a manner of individuals, cities, and communities figuring out the best way to come up with you know, of course, so what do we do pump water back into the ground? Well, we saw what happened when that happened. When we do that water reinjection into the ground after fracking has been done, what's the result earthquakes?
Speaker 6: Heather.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I guess ultimately you know a lot of people who are sitting in their homes and they're probably looking at the cracks in the walls now going oh, what do I do? What can we do, as you know, homeowners or business owners if our building is showing these signs?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean, in the short term, it's making sure that you have insurance to cover something like that if you've got building damage from this. But I mean in the long term, I suspect that that urban planners and building specialists are going to be looking at different ways of constructing, you know, three D printing for example, using concrete is one way to protect a community from from that sort of damage and also from wildfires, potentially from flooding. This could be the wave of the future.
Speaker 4: All right, well, we're all going to go home and take a closer look around from now on. Thank you so much, Jim, have a wonderful day. See all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Opening statements are expected to start in the sex trafficking trial of rap mogul Shawan Comb's. ABC's Shawnte Lands says they will include a video of Comb's assaulting his ex girlfriend, Cassie Ventura, who is also expected to be in court.
Speaker 10: Federal prosecutors say they plan to call two quick witnesses, including Cassie, before calling victim one, whose testimony.
Speaker 9: Is expected to take up most of this week.
Speaker 4: Combe's lawyers have tried several times to have the video excluded from evidence, that a federal judge has allowed it to be shown to the jury. US and Chinese officials say they've reached a deal to roll back most of the recent tariffs and call a ninety day truce in the trade war talks as trade war as talks continue, US trade representative of Jamison Greer says the US has agreed to drop its one hundred and forty five percent tariff rate on Chinese goods to thirty percent, while China agreed to lower its rate on US goods to ten percent.
Speaker 3: We're confident that the deal we struck with our Chinese partners will help us to resolve work towards resolving that national emergency.
Speaker 4: Greer and Treasury Secretary Scott Descent announced the tariff reductions at a news conference in Geneva. President Trump is heading to the Middle East this week. ABC Selina Wang says it's the president's first major foreign trip of his second term, stopping in Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 11: Cutter and the UAE now Saudi Arabia.
Speaker 7: Was also Trump's first foreign trip during his first term, and he's once again breaking tradition by skipping over America's closest neighbors.
Speaker 4: She says it signals the close political and economic ties between the US and Saudi Arabia under the Trump administration, and President Trump is also reportedly said to accept a luxury Bohen seven forty seven eight jet from Cutter's royal family to serve temporarily as Air Force One. The aircraft, valued at approximately four hundred million dollars, would later be transferred to Trump's Presidential Library Foundation, and while the Trump administration says the deal complies with all applicable laws, critics are raising concerns about the potential violations of the Constitution's Emoluments Clause, which prohibits federal officials from accepting gifts from foreign governments without congressional approval. A new study by the National Cancer Institute shows cancer before age fifty is still rare but increasing in the US. Emergency medical physician doctor Stephanie Wimer says many scientists aren't sure exactly why.
Speaker 12: The study looked at over twenty million cases that have been diagnosed from the year twenty ten to the year twenty nineteen that approximately fourteen of these different types of cancers are increasing.
Speaker 4: She says that's especially true among young women. A federal judge has temporarily blocked the Trump administration from transferring land in Arizona to mining giants Rio Tinto and BHP for a copper mine. The San Carlos Apache tribe is against the land transfer on religious grounds. They say that's where they worship their deities and putting a mine there will cause irreparable harm. Ten people have been sent to the hospital across southern California and Nevada because of a listeria outbreak linked to ready to eat foods produced by Fresh and Ready Foods LLSC. The FDA has issued a recall for products sold under various brands across Arizona, California, Nevada and Washington. A former CHP captain is facing some serious charges after an alleged outburst on a flight to La Dennis Woodberry is accused of groping a flight attendant, shouting in appropriate comments, and exposing himself. He's doing court today. Israeli airstrikes on Gaza have killed at least eleven people, including women and children, according to local health officials. Strikes and con Unice hits civilian tents, killing two children and their parents. The Israeli military says it targets militians millet pardon me, target's militants, and blames Hamas for civilian casualties due to their presence in populated areas. The ongoing conflict has led to over fifty fifty two eight hundred Palestinian debts and displaced about ninety percent of Gaza's two million residents. Then at six oh five, it's handle on the news hip hop. Mogul Sean Combs is in court today. Opening statements in his racketeering case are set to begin as early as this afternoon, and we'll have the latest. All right, let's get to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four Hour newsroom. The LA Zoo is being sued over its plans to transfer for Asian elephants Billy and Tina to a zoo in Tulsa, Oklahoma, instead of an animal sanctuary. Lawsuit asked for preliminary injunction to prevent the elephants from being relocated to any other zoo. The suit follows claims by animal rights activists who say keeping the animals out a zoo instead of a sanctuary is harmful to their physical and mental well being. A former employee of California's EDD and her ex boyfriend have been since for pandemic related benefits fraud.
Speaker 11: The US district judge sentenced Philis Stit to twenty months in federal prison and ordered her to pay over seven hundred thousand dollars in restitution. Kenneth Riley was also sentenced to twenty months in prison and ordered to pay over six hundred thousand in restitution. Sti pleaded guilty in January in downtown LA to one federal count of conspiracy to commit mail and bank fraud for filing at least twenty nine bogus claims. Tammy Triheo KFI.
Speaker 4: News joining US now is ABC's Ordonna Miller reporting from Jerusalem with the latest developments on the ongoing seasfiring s sociations between Israel and Hamas, and apparently the group has just announced it will release a US Israeli soldier as a quote gesture in these talks.
Speaker 8: Now, good morning, that's right, Heather Hamas saying in a statement that they will release the last living American hostage, a young man by the name of Dan Alexander, a native of New Jersey, also an Israeli citizen. He came to Israel, joined the Israeli Army, and was kidnapped by Hamas on October seventh from his military base. There have been several signs of life from him over the last year and a half, the last one in April where he looked very skinny, very exhausted, fearful, tired as he pled on camera for President Trump to work for his release. And it does appear, and we saw. President Trump also makes the announcement of his forthcoming release in a social media post. The President the Trump administration has cut a deal directly with Hamas to release Dan Alexander. The Israelis were not part of this deal, though they are obviously thrilled to have one of their soldiers released. Some of the public heres also well. There's a lot of excitement for the family that has suffered. Right edon. Alexander has been in captivity for more than five hundred and eighty days. Nonetheless, there are still fifty seven hostages, several Israeli soldiers and several Israeli civilians still being held by Hamas fifty seven in total, and this will put pressure on the Israeli Prime Minister to perhaps delay the intensified war plans that he announced last week and move instead towards another ceasefire. We do understand that after Dan's release, which is expected to be in the next couple hours, his mother has just landed here in Israel his planes. Her plane landed at Tel Aviv Ben Green International Airport. Traveling with her is the President's Special Envoy, Adam Boehler. They are about to fly directly to rating base, which is an indication that Adan will be released pretty soon after that. We do understand that the President is working with the Israeli Prime Minister to jumpstart another round of ceasefire talks.
Speaker 4: Wow. I can only imagine the relief that his family must be feeling, you know, as they move closer to this moment, what are the chances that this release leads to a full ceasefire or any you know, the release of any additional hostages.
Speaker 8: Well, I think there is a good chance that this will you know this, this appears to be a really critical window that has opened a window of opportunity. And the question is will the Israeli Prime Minister and will Hamas showed some flexibility in their positions and go through that window. This is right before President Trump's visit here to the region, a lot of critical issues on the table, including not only Gaza, but a potential normalization deal between Saudi Arabia and the Israel. Will Nataniel seize the moment and agree to terms that would begin real discussions on the end of the war. What could put his government in jeopardy?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 8: Will he agree to that? And will Hamas say that they're willing to release more hostages without an immediate and to the war without an immediate withdrawal of Gaza troops. Right, Because both of the sides have dug their heels in to positions that are very hard to bridge. But this move by President Trump, which I think is a strategy right, get the American out, put pressure on both sides to now get a deal done because it is possible. What this deal shows is that it is about the willingness of leaders to take a position and make a deal happen. So I think there's a chance here, and that's more than we've seen for several weeks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, there's definitely a lot at stake here, and I know the world will be watching closely, and I'm sure his family is just incredibly relieved, and we'll keep an eye on this. Thank you so much.
Speaker 8: Thank you.
Speaker 4: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. At least ten people have been hospitalized in California and Nevada after eating food linked to a listeria outbreak. The FDA says the source is San Fernando based Fresh and Ready Foods. Their products were sold at airports, hotels, hospitals, and convenience stores across four states. The company is now recalling several items under the brand's Fresh and Ready Foods and Fresh Take Crave Away. Listeria can cause serious illness, especially in people with weakened immune systems. A small study in California has found that over half of black and Latina women regularly use beauty products that contain a chemical link to uterine cancer.
Speaker 11: Researchers ask seventy black and Latino women in Los Angeles to log the use of their personal care products for a week and take pictures of the labels to note the ingredients. The study found fifty three percent of the women used beauty products containing form aldehyde. The study noted for aldehyde in an array of products including soap, lotions, shampoo conditioner, eyeliner, and eyelash glue. Tammy Triheo KFI News.
Speaker 4: The family of a man murdered in his apartment in Valley Village is suing the landlords.
Speaker 1: The lawsuit, filed on behalf of the late Manachehedro who went by Manny, claims negligent management. Heedra was found dead on April twenty sixth, then his unit at the Ashton Show German Village apartments. It's believed he died on April twenty third, when neighbors reported hearing screams. The lawsuit says the management company that also owns the complex, Essex, is partially at fault. It claims residents warned the company multiple times about security issues and people roaming the building, but it did nothing. Daniel Martindale KFI News.
Speaker 4: Officials have confirmed that three siblings and their father were tragically killed in a rollover crash on the forty Freeway near Barstow on a fourth The Dodge Ram they were in veered off the road and overturned. All four were pronounced dead at the scene. Authorities do not suspect impairment and the investigation is ongoing. A former San Diego Teacher of the Year, Jacqueline ma has been sentenced to thirty years in prison for sexually abusing two sixth grade students. She pleaded guilty and called her actions selfish and disgraceful. An Amazon delivery driver in Los Angeles was caught on camera pooping on a homeowner's doorstep and peeing on another's porch. The incident, which occurred on Mother's Day of all days, led to the driver's immediate termination after the video surfaced online. Amazon has apologized to the customers, calling the behavior quote deeply disturbing and they are not wrong then at six ZHO five it's handle on the news. Hamas is set to release the last surviving American hostage. We're going to tell you why. Some say this is a good sign of a possible ceasefire. Rumesa oz Turk, a doctoral student from Turkey studying at Tufts University, was detained for six weeks by immigration officials after co authoring an opinion article critical of her school's handling of pro Palestinian protests. ABC Steve Roberts joins US to help US unpack a case that's stirring up a lot of national debate on civil liberties. Good morning, Steve, Well.
Speaker 6: Good morning, And yes this is true. This woman who is a citizen of Turkey, season observant muscle. She where's a traditional Muslim head covering, and she was arrested on a street corner in Somerville, Massachusetts. And we know this because we have video of it. The surveillance camera caught the video of masked ice age and seizing her on the street. And she was deported to Louisiana for six weeks. And her crime was she wrote an article in the student newspaper taking a pro Palestinian viewpoint. Well, you don't have to agree with her viewpoint to say she has a right to say that. That's pretty much a classic example of free speech. I happened to be the advisor to a student newspaper at George Washington University, and I can tell you writing outbed articles could not be a more basic right, whether you're a citizen or a non citizen. And it took six weeks for a federal judge to finally get her release. And when he ordered her release on Friday, he said that this example killed the speech of millions and millions of individuals in this country who are not citizens, and he said there was absolutely no evidence to support the governments claimed that somehow she was a danger of the community or supporter of terrorism. So, as you point out, this issue has gotten a lot of national publicity because one of the reasons behind it, one of the strategies from this administration is to send this chilling message, Look, this could happen. If it happened to her, it could happen to you. And there are over a million foreign students studying in this country, and I'm sure plenty of them are in Los Angeles, and the chilling effect is powerful. And it was reinforced over the weekend when a key advisor to the president, Stephen Miller, Deputy Chief of Staff that the administration was actively looking into suspending the right of habeas corpus. The right of habeas corpus is in the Constitution, and it specifically gives someone like Romeza Osterk the right the challenge unlawful detention in a prison. It's only been suspended four times in our entire history, mainly during the Civil War. And yet they said they're actively looking to suspend that right. So this is this is a case study that echoes all over the country.
Speaker 4: So, you know, going back to the original you know, reason that the Trump administration had for you know, putting under arrest. What justification did they initially use for claiming her writing you know, supported hamas what were they claiming it it was doing well.
Speaker 6: This is a chain of argument that says, you're encouraging the enemies of the country, You're supporting terrorism. And look, the country has a right to defend itself if you are an active supporter of terrorism, if you're plotting an attack on the United States, you have the government has every right, every obligation to use police powers to block a terrorist act. No one is questioning that. But the argument that somehow this woman poses a threat to security and order by writing an article in the student newspaper. Just, I mean, the judge just was astounded that the government would even make such an outrageous claim. But as I say, the government has been using all sorts of arguments to try to detain over two hundred Venezuelans who were sent to a prison in El Salvador. And look, in that case, they accuse them of being gang members. Maybe you have a better case if you can prove that someone is a member of a violent gang. But writing an article in the student newspaper is very far from that kind of act. But there have been many other cases of different kinds where this administration and has sought not just to block illegal immigration, A lot of Americans would agree, you know that, maintaining closed borders and making sure that the people come here come here legally, a lot of Americans would agree with that. It was a very popular argument that Trump made during the campaign. But he's also trying to close down many legal avenues. He's totally shut down in the process of allowing refugees into this country. He's shut down the process of asylum. Folks in Los Angeles noticed and in their border with Mexico. This is a legal process recognized around the world that if someone is fleeing persecution, they could claim sanctuary and refuge in a safe country. But Trump has closed that down too. He's also trying to end the practice of what's called birthright citizenship, meaning that any child born in America, even if their parents are not citizens, they have citizenship. That's being fought in the courts, but over and over again judges have ruled against Trump on this. But there's a through line here, right, which is keep out as many foreigners as possible.
Speaker 4: Well, this particular case I think could have implications for many years to come, so we will certainly be keeping close eye on this in any future cases as well. ABC. Steve Roberts, thank you so much for your time this.
Speaker 6: Morning, during anytime.
Speaker 4: All Right, it's time to get up in your business one last time with Bloomberg Sportney Donaho. Good morning, Courtney, good morning.
Speaker 10: I love getting up in my business today, especially when the markets are doing quite well.
Speaker 4: Must report.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this report is sponsored by Total Wine and more. Well, the US and China have agreed to cut tarifs, de escalating the trade war that's sending stocks soaring to kick off the training week. I mean, let me give you some of these numbers. S and P futures are up more than three percent. Dow futures are jumping one thousand and sixty five points, that's two and a half percent. Nasdaq futures are seeing the biggest game. They're up almost four percent. So we're going to be seeing a nice rally all across the board. And by the way, if you jumped into stocks the day President Trump said on social media that it was a great time to buy, you would have been a big winner. The S and P five hundred has soared fourteen percent since he made that post on social media on April ninth, hours before he paused the tariffs.
Speaker 4: All right, so forget about flying. Americans are going to be road tripping their way through this economic uncertainty. I don't know about that. I don't like to be in my car for long periods of time. I feel like I already am in La.
Speaker 10: Oh, trust me, and here in New York too, and having to drive on these roads with some of our drivers here, but a lot more Americans they're they're hidding the road instead of flying because of the economic worries out here, So I'm gonna play a little song for you. Oh you've got to bring up vacation.
Speaker 4: Just such a good movie.
Speaker 10: But more than thirty nine million are expected to drive this Memorial Day weekend. That's up three point one percent from last year. Oil prices have dropped to a four year low, making road trips and yeah a little more affordable, and it's making everything a little more appealing to.
Speaker 4: Be on the road.
Speaker 10: On the other hand, domestic flights are two percent more expensive compared to last year. Plus have to point out that Newark Airport definitely isn't helping the situation.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh, what a mess over there. We thought Lax was bad, but come on, Newark, get it together.
Speaker 10: Yeah all right, do you know where who's going to really hurt from all of this?
Speaker 11: United Airlines?
Speaker 10: Sixty eight percent of the flights at Newark Airport are United flights. Yeah, but here's another interesting point. I found one survey that said all the stock market volatility has pushed sixty eight percent of travelers to change their vacation plans. So some people are paying upfront to counteract with the dollar that's been weakening, and some even have been canceled all together.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's more likely as well, people just saying either I'm gonna cancel, stay close to home this summer while there is seemingly so much uncertainty in the world. And really quickly before we let you go, let's touch a base on the zet Bound. The new study about weight loss drugs.
Speaker 10: So Eli Lilly is obst drug that's zet Bound has helped people trim about two inches more off their waist than the rival, which is we go V from Novo Nordisk. But this is the first head to head study of the rival medicines. Now, the impact on your waistline is crucial because they met that is actually a big measure for the dangerous fat that gets stored around your organs and the abdomen and belly fat is linked to a higher risk of diseases such as heart attack, strokes, and diabetes. But I just want to note Lily funded this research.
Speaker 4: Oh well, there seem to be the winner of this, So isn't that funny how But that's why we say that, That's why we disclosed that we mentioned that information, so that's.
Speaker 10: Definitely have to and by the way, shares of pharmaceutical companies are taking a big hit today, Lillly, Pfizer, Bristol, Meyers, Squib, Mrk because President Trump is planning to order a cut in prescription drug cost to bring them in line with other countries, and that could definitely weigh on profits.
Speaker 4: Okay, well, we'll keep an eye on that. Courtney. Amy's back tomorrow, but I hope I'll see you again soon. Thank you so much. Definitely sending you big hugs from New York. Thank you, thank you so much. It's a lot of fun, all right. A seventeen year old has been arrested for the fatal shooting of a twelve year old boy at a Compton park. The suspect was all dressed in black with a ski mask, allegedly approached fig and only under park and open fire before running away. The victim died and the nearby hospital authorities have not released the names of those involved. Temperatures are expected to drop quite a bit today after a couple of days of record setting high temperatures in SoCal Records were broken on Saturday in Burbank, Long Beach, Willand Hills and downtown La. A Superlato plus ticket where twenty five million dollars was dollars was sold at us Say Tobacco in Norco. The ticket matched all six numbers in Saturday's drawing. We're just minutes away from handle. On the news this morning, House Republicans have proposed a bill that would save eight hundred and eighty billion dollars in cuts, mostly for medicaid. We're gonna tell you what that could mean for you now. Today is my last day filling in for Amy King on Wake Up Call, and I want to end my time here with a little bit of something that rocks and hopefully makes you smile.
Speaker 13: Smiles shes Patos floats and around can travels on the.
Speaker 4: Podcasts, I have been towling with laughter and maybe in a little bit of awe since I discovered the wonderfully weird world of Wolves of Glendale. In just the past few years, this comedy rock trio has gone from Internet cult favorites to sharing stages with the likes of David Cross, Tenacious State, and even performing at the Netflix as a Joke Festival. Their music is sharp, silly, and sonically on point, and if you ask Jack Black, they sound bleeping fantastic. Wolves of Glendale is a comedy band made up of Ethan Edinburgh, Eric Jakowitz and Tom McGovern, and I'm joined by two of the Wolves themselves, Eric Jakowitz and Tom McGovern, to talk about their creative process, musical influences, and the fine art of turning daily chaos into bangers that you can laugh and rock out too. So how did this whole comedy rock band get started?
Speaker 3: I mean, first of all, something that makes you laugh and also makes you want to rock out in our entire mission statement, So it actually means a lot to hear you say that that's very cool. The three of us have been musicians our entire lives. You know, we all grew up as fans of Tenacious Tea and Weird Al and we're standing on the shoulders of these other comedy rock guys and it just is the perfect combination of all of the things that we love about playing music, like the Killers of the Foo Fighters, the Strokes, And there's something so funny and satisfying about making the best sounding song possible about the dumbest thing, and we're just all aligned in that way.
Speaker 4: A horse just bought a horse a horse and I named tam Ricket. You talk about how you balance the comedy and the music. In the songwriting process, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it has to work on two levels, Like it has to be believable on both levels. So I feel like as musicians, we want it to sound as accurate as possible with whatever style of music we're doing, whether it's rock, it's like it should have a wall of guitars and the drums should hit very hard, just like all of our favorite records. Similarly, you know, once we have the music figured out and then we start writing jokes on top of it, we'll go to comedy clubs, comedy nights around LA and if no one's laughing, then we know we have to change it.
Speaker 4: Listen about me.
Speaker 6: I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Go get what you told me.
Speaker 13: I want to Oh.
Speaker 4: So Jack Black has praised your work. A lot of people have. Actually you have a lot of fans out there. Let's talk about how these experiences and these people have influenced your approach to performance and comedy, Like, who are your big influences?
Speaker 3: I mean, biggest influence is definitely Tenacious du I think was a lot of our first examples of oh you can do this. You can like write a song about something really really dumb and I mean that in a positive way. I use dumb in a positive context. Fly to the Concords played a big role bo Burnham in terms of like musical comedians in Lonely Island. Of course weird al.
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny to say that I actually introduced my daughter. She recently discovered bo Burnham, and I said, oh, if you like bo Burnham, you need to check out Wolves of Glendale. And she was like, in heaven, all right. My twelve year old is like, I'm all in nice.
Speaker 3: That's cool, that's very very cool. It's actually inspiring to know that that generation is finding mutual comedy funny and entertaining, because that's around the time that I think I know that I did.
Speaker 4: Can you talk about an instance where maybe a real life event directly inspired one of your songs? Oh yeah, carud car feeling out in front of a school. Your conversation is over. Now you must talk about me and my car.
Speaker 2: And we were all living in Glendale at the time, and I think we were at Ethan's place and a really loud car drove by, and that was I think that was literally.
Speaker 3: People really seem to like Olivia. It's kind of like a yacht Rock Jackson Brown Vibe.
Speaker 2: I think the one I'm most proud of is the Gym because that one took like six months to write, and when we cracked it, I feel like we really cracked it.
Speaker 4: Is you guys so much success. It's such a joy to watch people doing what they were meant to do and finding their passion. So thank you so much for talking with me, and best of love to you, oh cooler, appreciate it. The Wolves of Glendale just played a sold out show at the bell Weather in LA and have a couple more shows coming out this summer. You can check out all their music and tour dates at Wolves of Glendale dot com. I asked the postitis, let's go.
Speaker 2: Love mad dude Jim.
Speaker 4: To get down down to get down down to. That's how I feel when I'm at the gym too. Such a funny band, such a funny group of guys. Definitely check them out if you get a chance. And my thanks to them for taking time to talk with me. And let's get back to just a couple of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom before we wrap things up this morning. Autism experts say the Trump administration's plan to find the causes of the condition are unrealistic. Health Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior is banking on using a new database of insurance claims and other health records to track diagnosis and access to care, but experts say autism science has already proven that genes play a huge role in the development of the complex brain disorder. Southern accents are disappearing in some parts of the South. ABC's Wayne Cabot says, so many people have settled there from other parts of the US and around the world. There's a little less drawl, y'all.
Speaker 5: A series of research papers released late last year chronicles the diminishment of the Southern accent among black residents of the Atlanta area working class whites in the New Orleans area.
Speaker 4: He says the new sound has more of a California flavor, at least among younger people. Well, hey, I say there is nothing wrong with a little California flavor. I have had such a great time filling in for Amy over the last week or so, and I want to say huge thank you to and to producer Ann who has been just amazing and really appreciate you. Guys. Will no, no, I really just had a wonderful time. And thank you to everybody who has dropped into the callbacks and left messages that you're listening right along. Amy will be back tomorrow, don't you worry, guys, The show will be back on track. No more nonsense French tomorrow. It might be in French, that's right. I cannot wait to hear Amy's stories about all her adventures. So yeah, so thank you all so much for listening. Please take a minute. If you want to continue to follow my escapades, you can follow me on social media at the Heather Brooker on Instagram and Heather Brooker on TikTok and pretty much everywhell We're everywhere else. I would love to keep in touch with you all, but I will be back someday if Amy ever decides to go on vacation again. But I'll be around KFI for sure. So thank you all so much for listening. This is KFI and KOST h me to Los Angeles, Orange County live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer and technical producer Cono and traffic specialist Will. I'm Heatherbrooker. This has been your wake up call if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me Amy King.
Speaker 10: You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.