Speaker 1: But welcome to Jewish History Uncensored with Mark Shapiro. This is season sixteen.
Speaker 2: Episode forty.
Speaker 3: Okay, a few things. As always, I showed you last class a picture of the kever of the grave of Rabbi Shiman Oppenheim, and I said, it's the only example I know of whereof where someone basically says, come to my kever and your prayers will be heard. Well, Rabbi Mordechai from Brooklyn points out that there's someone else. It's very similar. I don't know if anyone recognizes the person we're looking at. His name is Rachela Moskovitz, the Schatzer Rebbi of London. You can read about him here and uh. It actually says that he left an ethical will specifying that anyone coming to his grave. Uh well, and it can ask for his help. And he says, uh that he will attempt to intercede in heaven if you come to his grave, and et cetera. Ruven from Paris, I wanted to tell you where there's one more thing about Tomin Hocham. I wanted to tell you. He asked me a number of questions about the word Toma hacham. So uh I forgot to mention this in the Tishbe. Do you know what if I don't know, if you guys know what the tishb is, the tishb is a it's a levita. He wrote a number of works, including a grammatical work. He wrote the Tishby and other things. Sir, he has under Talmud Rachem. He asks, why do we call a stage a talmud Racham. Why don't we just call him Machacham. The gunar is full of examples Tomud Rachem, and he says something interesting for you, Ruven and everyone else. He says that, well, first of all, he says, he won't He asked a lot about this, and they told him, of course, it's Merachm, a student of the wise. But he said other person people explained to it as a Talmada student who became wise, which Kirky isn't correct, because if you look at the buo, it's tell me Demim, it's not tell me Dirachmin. But he says, as follows. He has a theory. He says, just like originally in Greece they used to fearch the wise men as sophos wise. Later they thought, he claims this is the reason, I don't know if it is that this was thought to be giva, so instead of calling them wise men, they called them philosoph lovers of wisdom. And he says, the same thing happened. It's it was considered guiva to refer to them as harakam. They didn't want to be called that, so instead, for modesty, they called themselves students of the wise. Tell me to ha come maybe the the end of last class, we were dealing with the naman and uh. If the word yatad is feminine as it is, why is it called why does it refer to as yet nama? The newspaper so borrough called my attention to the hold on a second uh an the Wikipedia and Hebrew, which says that because of the pussock they chose, they picked this pussock Huffbay's huff gim where it says in yshayativ yaad n'aman, I will fasten him as a plague in a short place maybe.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: But I said that it's strange that I said it's strange, But I also said I think there's one place where it is masculine. It turns out I was wrong. The Pussack. I remembered is as follows. I'll show you why I was wrong too. If you look in at Shaya, chapter thirty three. It took me a while to find this number. Verse twenty, it says as follows. In verse twenty, it says, oh heel boutsion bali sa tato to le nezza. So ohell baltzan means a tent shall not be removed. And it says ballysa you tato tv le nezza, which a translation is the stakes we're off shall never be pucked up. So I recalled it here. It should say if it's talking, first of all, it should be poro. But I remembered this as being masculine, but it's really not. You have to put you in. I looked in Nadas snicker. You have to put in a man like ballysa a dumb because it's singular. So I can't find any examples of the word yataid that it appears as feminine. Sorry, that appears as masculine. I mentioned so. So I had a correspond with one of you about the word marcause because I quoted that it been t bone in the back of the marnavok and he says, this follows about the word marcause mila aravittauha el that we transferred it to our language for our purposes. However, when I looked at the Venuta dictionary and lo and behold his father, you who'd have been t Bone whose picture I showed you, he already shows he already has this word. And I thought, I mean, he mentioned one other source, so we can't say that schmo Ibn t Bone invented it. He transferred it, but his father used it earlier. Two more points over, shabas Uh. I was reading this book. I just got it, although from the library, although it's already a few years old. David David Lecherlstein. He's very good both his his his classes and his classes, his Saturday night things. Although it's about supposed to be ACA. Very little bit these days has to do with alaha. But this book, because we spoke about the sherry casks and remotion's hit there the blended whiskey. He has a whole article on this, and he does something. Everyone's arguing back and forth, and he says, I guess he could do it, he could pay for it. He goes, let's send these things. Let's send these whiskeys out to a laboratory and find out how much taste is actually in there, how much of the wine from the casks is in there? And you can read this. This is on page four forty nine. The amount is tiny. It's not just less than the sixtieth it's less than even six hundredth And he concludes, not that he's a post sake, but he concludes, in light of these considerations, it seems clear that there is room to allow sherry cast scotch without any concern. And he goes on, So if you're interested in the topic, check it out. And finally, this book I mentioned this is a very expensive book. This might be the most expensive book I have if it's still that expensive. I've never been one to buy rare books. I have lots of books. If I could pick up this camera, i'd show you, but reprints and I stopped buying so many of the old stuff when we have otzar hofmlherbooks dot Org. As far as i'm I just want the content. I'm not a collector. This book, however, at least when it went on auction about seven eight years ago, it got up to almost a thousand dollars I even got it by accident. I ordered it for my university library. I thought it was gonna be a he geographer, hagiographical type of book. And when it came in, the books are given to me first I look at them and then we give them to the library. As soon as I saw it, and I saw this on the cover, and you know what this is over here? This is Robbie Hyok of Weinberg, taken from the cover of my book without asking. By the way, the first thing he ever said to me I spoke to him was he apologized for using the picture without asking my permission. Really, I don't have the copyright. It comes from University of Giesen. Incidentally, here is just so you know. One day I'm going to do a blog post and I'll identify all the people on the picture here because he doesn't tell you, but this is Revarro and Cutler. Can you see Vira own there yet he looking very differently than he did in his later years. So I'll identify who all these people are one day on the front cover. But so when I saw the book and then I start looking at it, I might I have to keep this. I decided to buy the book for big oys. And and one of the first things I did is that I sent an email to a friend of mine. I sat there for like an hour going through it and said, are they gonna put him a here room for this? Or is as AVOs is the merit of his forefathers gonna his father, I should say, going to protect him? And my friend who's part of that world, said no, no, it'll he'll be protected. But he wasn't. I have an essay, actually a long essay on which supposed to coming out soon underness and Kominsk. Now, so I'm mentioning because I said last class that he was put in cheym. Now he always regarded himself as being in put in, but technically, when I listened to it, I realized I said that the book was put in. He was not putting a harem. Although if there was a call from a Michal uh uh, what's his name became, uh Michal to put him in Haram, but he never was. Now, while while I'm speaking to about this, I can show you this book. I don't know if any of you have seen this book. This book you couldn't get anatomy of a band. This came out within a year of making of a goddle. It's his personal description of everything that happened he This was never sold in the stores. This was only given in person when you came to him. If he chose to give it to you. Here you could see where it says. Here, let's see. I don't know how well you can read it. Give him by the author to doctor Mark Shapiro, and it gives the date December twenty fourth. Oh I wasn't hold on. I gotta show you this. I wasn't even showing you hold on. Oh yeah, I actually I was showing you yeah, in December twenty fourth, two thousand and three, Anatomy.
Speaker 2: Of a Band.
Speaker 3: Now, he asked me what to do with this book because he didn't want to be putting. He didn't want it to be put in a harem, and he personally didn't want to be put in a harem. He's different than the other Nusson, notson' Sliffkin, notson Sliffkin. When his books are put to her, and he responded, and that meant he had to leave that world. Notsson. Kameneski wanted to remain in that world, so he couldn't publicly go against it, but privately he did. I told him he should give it to the National Library in Jerusalem and keep it closed for twenty five years and then open it up to everyone. And he said he was going to do that, but I just checked this morning and apparently he didn't do that. Because at least if the if the website is correct, anyone can see this book. You could just go to the National Library and order it. And the idea that he said he agreed with me keeping it embargoed for twenty five years, you know what, I take the hit. Maybe the agreement was twenty five years or upon his passing, and that's why now you could see it, because he specifically told me it would be Uh. He liked that idea. But anyone who's interested in reading anatomy of a band you can read that. So okay, friends, we are here now. This is the fortieth class. I feel like we've been together. It's a long time and we've done great things. I'm going away for Paysach and one of the talks in America. We can do that, many of us. One of the talks is the making of my latest book, A thirty Year Story, but that's in forty five minutes. Yes, so to do it in forty five minutes, you've got it, and just count the hours. Now we're forty hours and going strong. So I calculated another fifteen classes. But we have as always, we got interesting stuff, usual stuff, great stuff. Today I want to pick up however, right in the middle, we're in the middle of Simon Kouffman Olif. Right at the end, Simon Kufman Olif ends in on page three oh two. There were a couple points to finish off the chuva. One thing I forgot to mention which I wanted to come back to in the chuva about the word mosciele. We spoke about moscile and we saw that Rabbi Mazous said, and we're going to focus again to dis Cliin will also be on Rabbi Mazous, and thank you enough, Tully. He sent me from Yeshiva World News that Rabbi Mazous made even the English language Claraiti news today was yesterday because he ordered that in all of his colo he has a bunch of col els.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: Everyone needs to be vaccinated, so not such a rish but they wanted to report it the word moscule, So you still have Remenazous says that in this farda world moscule is not a negative thing, and we quoted examples from the Psukim. Now let me show you something really interesting, I think or some of you might find it interesting that was pointed out by a real moscule, namely Reball. It's not it's not like Levinson. It's not barre Lebinson. He wrote to Wsrel and many other works. He pointed out as follows that it's very strange that the zoar here's the first page of the zoar. He said, Really the zoar should be called musculium or moscule. Why because right at the beginning it has the puss suck that we saw moscille Yes, herocozo Hirakia, and we have Midrashimer done this way. And also look at the ba here. Hold on, here's the ba here. The bay here begins, I'm Revna Junakana. Then it says he quotes the puss lora or by here. Who didn't h where's this is? Eov? Hold on, where's the puzzle? And Eova, I'll show you the pussic the bay here quotes it's EO thirty seven twenty one. Here you go uh bye hero basa rakim. So that's why they call it the ba here. So really you said the zoar should be called uh a musculium or muscular or something. But he explains that the idea of zoar brightness shining, and even to this day this far either called torah or may year, all these things. So that's why it broke with what you would expect to call it from the pussle. Incidentally, what you're looking at in the zoar here is a bra she's but this is not the beginning of the zoar. The zoor has a hakdama an introduction, and if you look in the Besomi roche right at the beginning of the summing row, she meant. He just alludes to it. That believe or Yaka Vemda doesn't mention this that he says that, well, we know that ton of itch works never have introductions. There's no huk damah, so we sort of says this is uh. He doesn't sort of. He says, this is a proof to what my relative Yaka Renden said that at least this part couldn't be uh medieval. Okay, the last two things I wanted to call your attention to in the Chuva is in my literature of Massou's. I mentioned two things in a note that he replied to, and that's remember we were speaking about Musculie, and I said, well, in Lithuania, mosculo is one who was interested in history and dictu. But you're still a religious Jew. And I gave example of mantis Astrasa, and I said, even perhaps for Schmulstrascha, the famous Rashash who's I just heard a she er from Raschefter. Raschechter said something interesting. He said, today no one learns Marsha, but they all love them rashash, and never one loves I love Rushash, and every I wear in gamar, I like to look in the back because he always has interesting things. But the rashash says something. Well, let me show you what he says. Here, let me pull it out for a second tier. Where is my gamara?
Speaker 1: Here?
Speaker 3: I have a page. Oh, there is the gamara says as follows in bob Metcia. And this is found in all your gamar's. As far as I know, they haven't removed it. At least they haven't removed the Rashash. Here's the gamara. It says, well, greedy English. Here this is one O seven A. It says, blessed shall you be when you enter, and blessed shall you be when you exit? What does it mean? Your exit from the world should be just like your entry into the world. What does that mobius? Just like your entry, your entry to the world is without sin?
Speaker 1: You know, uh.
Speaker 3: So to uh your so the saying bus are you and you anwer bus and your exit just as you enter without sin, so to your exition without sin? Well, the Rashash says this follows if Yo get his commentary mikaon stier a kasat lo bali dosa gilgol. He says, this appears to be a little bit of a contradiction to the people who hold the notion of the reincarnation. Now he says, sas, because so what does it says, just like you came in without sin, so to you leave without sin? Because really, the people who believe in Gilga reincarnation, they don't say that you actually have a sin upon you. What they say is that you come back to this earth on account of a sin in a previous lifetime. So that's why he's saying kasas. But he still is expressed it's clear that he doesn't believe. It's a dogmatic thing. Now, this idea of gilgl reincarnate. I think most people in our circles, if you're not in Akoumbo, you look at it as a little strange. But it shouldn't be strange. First of all, it's a belief held on the entire in India, for instance, and not just you know all the religions that come from India. You have Buddhism. Buddhism comes from Indian Incidentally, long before it came to China Japan, there was an India. It was an India for a very long time. And it's only come back in the twentieth centurily in any numbers because of the Dia Lama comes to Daram Shallow when he escapes from China. Also the Karmapa Aama. But the U that's right near there in the north arm Shallow, the Hbad has like the biggest satyr of the year they have there, or Katmandu. It's it's an incredible place if you can ever go there, believe it or not. I flew there. I went there in twenty seventeen. Lo and behold, I mean you think that wherever you never meet a Jew, at least an identifying Jew.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: Lo and behold, I'm staying in a hotel Kivun. There's a thing called Kivu Nime. It's very expensive and non Orthodox kids are mostly non eu Thirsts. They traveled the world. They were in my little hotel. But more than that, right near Dharamshaha, there's a village that's only open in the uh, not in the like. From like after Pesach April, I guess until October, there's hebrewriting everywhere. It becomes a complete Israeli village. And there's a Kbat house there too that looks just like seven to seventy the Kabbad. No people nowhere to go, they're all set up there. But so Gylgel was found. The James have Gilgel, the Hindus obviously the reincarnation, and in Judaism we have it also. It's not just in Judaism. This is an essential feature for Makuboli. They think it is a basic belief. Now it's true. Rasadyago and rejected it. Many others rejected it. So it's a machrocus. But to say that it's not a Jewish belief, it is it is. It's definitely a Jewish belief. But the rashash says that at least Peters that the Talma doesn't hold of it. Incidentally, Eli Mosig, he explained the passage the idea that Eliel was pinchas, which I don't know what it means originally. I don't think it means literally maybe had the traits or something. But elb Mosig, who we had classes on, you can go to the old toy emotion. He claims that this is Gilgel, that that's what the and when the Gamara identifies different people, this is a trait in the Gamar or midrash. You might have noticed it. It's uh the I call it the conservation of personalities, that you always have one person in the Midrash says it it's just an esther. What do they say, Harbona, is that what they say? It's I think it's in the maybe it's in a targum Shane. He says, it's really done. Mel I mean they you always have all these identifications where people, uh, they have one name, but they mean someone else. And Eliobana Mosig thinks this is referring to Gilgel. That when it says that this person is really this person or you see this a lot in midrash if. I don't think it's a vern to Gyogo, but that's what he says. So I said to Rabbi Mazouz, that reflined Konnievsky genius of genius well in terms of knowledge content, I don't know in terms of coming up with the new conceptions or things like that, like or self agent type genius, but a photographic memory like no one else we have today. He claims that the rashash count have written this because the Rasasha isn't a muscule. It had to be uh, his son. He must have put it in there because we know he's a muscule and therefore not so kosher. He forged it in the name of his father. So I write to my Rabbi mazous First of all, this makes no sense, leaving a part the fact that the Rashasha was from a Lithuanian perspective, you look at him as somewhat of a muscule also, But this is published in the Rashasha's lifetime. The Rashasha it was he put it out of his lifetime forgetting the fact that of the menstis Jastrasha will never say something in uh you know, for it's something the named his father. The this is published in his lifetime, so it clearly can't be true. And Rabbi Mazuza agrees with me and doesn't make any sense. But then I say his follows about Goyogol review to Mudna Leon Mudna, the Rabbi of Venice. We've spoken about him a number of times. Those that came with me to ely remember. Although he was the one of the rabunnim in Venice, he has shows and shuvos. He was a bit of a strange character. He had a game. He was a gambler. He wrote an obiography. We know that people who write autobiographies are unusual. We spoke at Yakov Emden and the Adaris and uh Uh, the Bori Epstein, the Taratamima and Mudna and Mudna tell us about how he was addicted to gamble. He had like twenty four different jobs. He told us. He gave us all this stuff and uh. The Rida says as follows. The doc claims, well, it's I claims he does. If he says it, he's say he did. Rida was very Medoctic on things. He's tells us that he saw a manuscript of Mudna where there was a little child who was sick, six months old. The child was deathly ill. So Madna Mudna came to dupsuk him. Incidentally, young Kipper Cotton. There's a peal that is said by Hasidim and others. It's by Mudna. He came to resuk him to him when his uh person was about to die, the little baby, and he said that psuk him in. Suddenly the little child opened his eyes and said, smile the six month old child. And then the child died. And then the text says he Mudna was he was a He rejected Kabbalah, he rejected Gilgo all this stuff. So the manuscript from Madna says that from that point on he believed in reincarnation because he saw with his own eyes how a six month old child maustar to move and saying a schama so the rida. So I say to Ramazous, there's no doubt that this that never happened, lay alone, Nivra. It never happened. It's simply someone who copied this text of Manda edited in and I said, this is just like the we have these legends about the Rambam. You might have heard the Migdalos instantly the Mischigari quotes it that at the end of his life the Rambam he discovered Kabbalah, and he rejected everything that he wrote in philosophy. We know these are things are not true, these are just things made up. And I said the same thing about Madna, to which Rabbi Mazouz replied that he you know, with Ne'ermana, we should believe that what he does do is that he saw it in a manuscript, unless you say that it wasn't an actual management to Munda, but a copy. And that's clearly the case that it's this is this is one of these things made up. There's no doubt. Okay with that, we end simm Off. Now we're off Bay's page three or three, and this is the other long letter of mine to Robey Mazous. After this letter we have two some smaller things from Yazous, and then we go to other people we've spoken about and Coude as I said, we're gonna get to roshatter. But this has a lot of good stuff in it. So I'm just going to skip over some of the things. Otherwise we could spend three classes on it. Okay, I'll start with number two in my letter. As you know, I I I uh, save up lots of comments and then I'll send like fifteen or ten Instantly. One of you asked me, I say, I forgot because we spoke about the Aka party. What did they Aaka parties say about women? Can women be elected? And it's an interesting question because they were asked this during the election. Rama Mazous said that we will not be the first Clariti party to have women serve. That is, he said, it's technically not forbid it, but we're not going to be the first ones. Now you might be thinking, why why call them Ahardi party, because, as I explained, the Yakat party was a combination of the hard Alim, the right wing religious Zionists, and this so called moderate Haradim. But the truth is that the hard Alim there, they are Haadi too when it comes to these matters of and uh. But that's sort Maszou said that technically it's permissible, but we will not be the first Kharadi party to have a woman deputy. He's actually more liberal than Rabbay Aviner because Rabbe Avigner, who was one of the people supporting the Yaclet party. He doesn't believe at all that women should be He thinks it's forbidden. So but uh so I wrote, have another long letter. Let me let's tell you one more thing about these letters. I have a friend who's also been corresponding through mazous for a long time, and he thought it's interesting because then I get back these long letters as well, because we know that today that there are many people who write, and most of them don't get replied. How can you if you're getting ten fifteen letters a day, how can you reply? Others get replies from, you know, some of the Shiva students. How is it that I get these replies and I get loan replies. My friend gets replies because he too has been writing for many years, but they're very short, and I think the answers as follows. And my friend agreed with me that it's because most of the letters coming in, including my friend, deal with halaha gamara. I'm writing about, as you see, all these unusual things, and he likes these unusual things, he finds them interesting. So I really think that it's it's that's the reason I get these letters is because I'm focusing on matters that are of interest to him but are sort of off the beaten track. I'm not writing dushime, which I'm not capable of writing of a level of reduhim to be mafalpo with one of the godois throw. But certainly I can write about these unusual things. And maybe that's the reason why I think I'm zoha as we can say to the long, very interesting letters. Okay, so in Simon Cliff and Membase, the first thing I want to speak about, I ask, as this follows, we just had a fast day, ty sester, do women need to fast on this? Do women need to fast on any of these fast days other than dishapal Than and young Kipper? And this is uh this is a dispute I should say. I think I should say. Among the Hasidim, what I'm told basically is that the women do not fast among the litfish. Many of the women do, many of them don't. Revikiva Josef Schlessinger, the famous Levivy. He writes that he has a tradition that from the hussem sofa that pregnant the nursing women should only fast on a young kipper, and even if women who aren't pregnant, they should only fast on tish above and the other fast days if they're very healthy. So we see a downgrading of it already there. I have many other sources that, let me just give you some examples. I so, for instance, and this is what Ram is going to be responding to. That the the the dark Chuva Dva her Shapiro famous Duva. He writes, follows that, uh I think I wrote it down here? Did I write it down here?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: I thought I wrote I quote? Oh yes here, I have it here, he says, as follows, and the chuvos that he quotes for the shinevo ReBs, who says he referred he got this from the earlier Godolin that any woman of child bearing age, and if it's difficult for her to fast, better let you he doesn't fast only when she's no longer a child bearing age. If she's healthy, then she could fast. And there's other sources as well that speak about not festing, and therefore it's become common practice. In fact, rashomos amon Arbach, who's not Hasidic, this is what he's quoted as follows, and THEO was saying that the minhog in our place, namely in Jerusalem hi yashahnashi anan Miisanos call women do not fest at all vast naros, even the young, unmarried women milvad Tishebova yamaki Purim. So here we see rashomos amen Arabach saying that in Jerusalem Mino Jerusalem of the Ashkenazi, is that other than Tishubov and young Kipper, the women do not fast at all on any of these other fast days. So therefore it's hard, I would say, to criticize women for not fasting on these days. If the great rashomos amen Aarbach said that that's the Minhagu, well, Ramazus does criticize them, because I don't know if he knew of chomos an Aarbach. But he says this follows. He quotes. Firstly, he quotes Ravad yo Safe who quoted Va. What does Yosev say? It's against Rasau, it's against the Talmud, it's against all the post game, all the posts say. Women have the fast as well. If they're ill, if they're pregnant, then they they don't have to but simple, a simple woman who's not pregnant, who says she doesn't have the fast, and uh Rabbi Mazous says, based on this that he says romos fall tomtos the bassakov beaminu. He says, most I don't know if this applies to America. Most of the teachers and the students that Basi Alkov do not fast on these days, and as if they didn't have, as if the fast days don't exist, and he refers to He says that the dalar Tamios, which I say clearly doesn't mean I write to him, it doesn't mean. Most of the time when we say the four and fast days, what are we referring to. We're referring to som goadalia sarbateeves uh vas otamos in tish above because Tony sister technically is a minogue. But clearly he wasn't referring to that as well. Say, so that's the first thing I wrote to him about, and he replies, it's correct to what I've said that he's not referring to to ship above. But this is interesting. So here might be an example of where the religiousign this community might be more. It's clearly more mock pid than the Hasidic world on this. The next question I asked him was his follow was the Gamara says in soccer. Let me show you Gamara here? Do I have it here in socca? I thought, I, uh no, so I'll tell you I have the The Gamara has a dispute hold on Gamara has a dispute. Why do we eat in a soca. We'll get back to this in a second. So why do we eat the socca? The dispute two opinions. Uh, it's in Soccadra says we in the soka because of the cold, the clouds that protected the Jewish people. And Raykiva says we eat in the socca to commemorate the actual dwelling in booths. If you take what says Chochron says as follows, this is insaivasa meme. Why it says shatis benicer hey manana covode so ryosef Cairo, and the cho says that why do we dwell on the soca? It's the covert I wrote to rhymm Miszoos because in one of his uh pieces he uses the language that the Chochron passak decidedically that the reason we eat in the soca is because of the covered So I wrote, what do you mean passaka, what does this to do with the cha chachra is giving you an opinion? There's nothing means you have to do something. What does this have to do with alaka? The gomora fee us an expression about something like this, my daaj what happened happened? Whether it was, we don't know. Well, you can't poskin what the reason is. So he writes to me and says, you're right. That's not you're right. You can't use the language. I guess he's say I shouldn't use language stock But it still is relevant because when you're in the soka, I guess this is more of maybe a kabalistic things you're supposed to lek have vein that it's go on a coverlet, you're supposed to have in mind that it's a coverlet. Okay, a small thing. Next thing is a bigger thing. I think, oh, actually, before you can get to that, Rabbi Mazous has many times spoken about that you need to speak about emuna philosophical things because if you don't, people have questions. If you don't speak about it. They're gonna go find their answers in places that are improper. And this is a controversial thing because many people say, no, you shouldn't speak about it, you raise questions. I wrote to him that he would like a book came out recently. I said, from to Cook, which has his lectures on it, And he says, Juda says something very sharp.
Speaker 2: This is.
Speaker 3: He speaks about well sadikim who don't believe, let me tell her what it. Cook says in his Sijota and Amuna, from page one hundred and eight and on, he speaks about how vital it is to teach philosophical matters theological matters, and he says, many of the great rabbis can't do it. They're not equipped. So the question is, how can you, He's asked. It's a dialogue. How can it be that MINIGADOI are not able. They can do shas and post scheme, but they can't speak about philosophical matters. And it is true. I have to tell you that I've known many great Torist scholars and they can tell you all about halaha and shas and post scheme, and those I guess are the main things. But they can't tell you about the rambam. They can't play it resadigo and a raw bog. I guess it's a lack. Well, I should say it's it's a lack if they think they know about it, If they know they don't know about it, then it's not uh and replies, he says, this the idea that even great rabbis can't speak about these matters. It's found already in the introduction of the Monsieur Sharim ins that speaks about amim who don't want to learn eurosam. He says, the Maharraal speaks about how people, the great tourist scholars don't want to learn Amuna, and he says, already you're a mio Hanavi. He quotes the Pussok here's what Jeremiah says in his prophecy. In what pussk is it u baise ret he says, what does it say here named Lom? The priest said, not where is the Lord? They that handle the law knew me not? What does that mean? That is turris scholars didn't know me. What does it mean didn't know me? It means that they had simplistic beliefs. They didn't understand philosophy. They didn't understand anything in depth. And Ratzeuta says, this is not the reason you should mock them or anything like that, but you have to know what the truth here that just because someone is a great towerst scholar doesn't mean that he or she i can say today, is equipped to deal with these matters. And then he says, and he says why, And they ask why. He said, because there's more prestige to no shots and postkme than to be involved in philosophical matters, to learn the kusari in the morning of Luklim et cetera. And then he says something very uh strong. He says, he says, there are sadiki, meaning there are righteous ones who do not believe. When I say do not believe, I mean do not believe in any significant way. That is, their belief system is simplistic. Where does he get this from? Ritzviyuda? He gets this from a gamar. The omara said, as follows in uh Sota. Here it says what is did they quote? Rebel quotes the pussa mi bas katan note, which means he's driving for who punders the day of small things? And it says Migha Mozadiki. What caused the table, namely the reward of the righteous to be plundered, me being wasted in the future, what is it the world to come? He says, I guess shahy abahn shan about Casparo. That is the small things that they didn't believe in God. Now the translation here is it says for if you look into translation, the black is what it's supposed to be in the text. The white is what they ad It's not true. You see katan note small mindedness. It's in the text, but they make it a question. It was the small minnus they possessed. And what is this small minus that do not believe in Holy One must be with complete faith. That's not what it says. There's no question here. It's kanacha hayaba hen their smallness that they do not believe entirely in God. So this is from the Steinzels translation. It's a the English. I don't know who did it, but this is definitely a mistake. The point is that we see here that the Gamara speaks about sadikim who didn't believe. Doesn't mean the didn't believe in the existence of God. But their understanding of God, the way they thought of God. Maybe they thought of God as a physical form, who knows, but it's not sophisticated or see JUDA. Cook said that if you don't teach Amuna, then you end up with sadikim and tell mea mean who really don't believe, because their belief is like that of a child. And Riff Cook has his father. His father has an amazing expression. He says that the unbelief of some, the unbelief of some heretics, is more profound than the belief of believers. That is because what the real Cook explains, because you have people that their heretics. Why because because they they're told what it means to believe, and what it means to believe is a simple is a simplistic, juvenile type of belief. So their attitude is, if this is what God is, you're telling me this God is, then of course I don't believe in that God. But they their rejection of Cook says, of belief is holier than the false belief of people who do believe, who say they believe in God, because their belief is a juvenile nothing belief. In these people, they aspire to a much higher level of belief, and that's why they can't accept the juvenile approach of certain in the religious community. So very sharp from to Judah. So I sent that to Rabbi Mazus. I thought he would like that, and he replies as follows, I'm happy to see there and see Hudah. His opinion is like mine, and that we have to speak about Amuna. And he says, that is the shot. He says in the mission, what is the mission to say? Look at pier Kievo's here, rebel aramher have they shut Torah? Be diligent in the study of Torah the damashatashi Vapi chorus and know how to answer in Api chorus, what is one they have to do with the other? Why? Why are these put together? And Ravmazus says, this is how you have to read it heavy shakudul mo Torah, be diligent in the study of Torah, because through this, through studying the Torah you in a proper way, you will know how to answer the heretic. In other words, you need to know. You need to have sophisticated understanding of Emuna. This is an opposition to the Brusselovers and all these others who speak about munas mim be a simpleton in when it comes to petty, when it comes to belief, No, you have to follow the Rambam. You have to follow Vsadya gon reviewo Avi that the belief has to be sophisticated. They're sophisticated works. And as I was told, I remember one years ago when I was in Israel by someone that just like when you study Peric Maruba bob Letsia, you you have to focus and you have to look at all the sheet does and everything like that. So too when you study anything uh philosophical. These are great people you need to uh also be very sophisticated in uh in how you're learning. Okay, now the next one is of interest, and I gotta tell you a little bit of story here. We all know who Ibbinezra is. We all know who the rush Bomb is. Rush Bomb the grandson of Rushi. He wrote a commenty we know from the Kamara. He's a commentary on certain sections of the Gamora. He also has a commentary he's quoted in tost Fos, but he's a commentary in the Torah. And the commentary is I'll pee up shot. He does things in accordance with the simple meaning, even when it contradicts the haka, because there's shiving, punning. There's seventy faces to the tora. And you can give an explanation of a pussuk, which is an opposition to the hallaka. It doesn't mean you reject the hallakah. But the halaka we know through. But there's other meanings. There's the shot as well. And this is not controversial. This is exactly everyone. You find us in Raschi, you find this, you find us to all the commentators. He has a couple of famous ones. He says, i'll pee up shot. Fillin is not to be taken literally. So does that mean it's it needs to be investigated?
Speaker 2: But uh?
Speaker 3: Any of some other examples. The most famous example of this is in Parsius Braci's The rash Bomb says, now the rush Bomb's commentary on Bracius is only printed in the nineteenth century. The other rest of the tower that we have we're missing from after Paragolff and Brachets up until I think it's a but we have chapter one. We in fact the hill Novetsky has shown. We even now have new manuscripts we see to the end of chapter one. But in chapter one he says, what is the shot by year of Vivocare It was evening and it was morning. He says, the shot of the Pussic is that the day begins in the morning. That's that's the shot. We know that the day begins in the evening. But look at this. It was evening and then it was morning, and that's the first day. That is when does day end? Day ends in the morning, let's say before sunrise. So and then you start a new day, and you go through the day, and then you come to the end of the day. Two it was Arev and then it was Beaucaire, and that's when the day ends. But the day's not ending, the days not ending in arav No, the day's ending in the morning. So and then the new day begins. Well this and incidentally, this this idea is found in many other sources that before mattan Toro, the day begin did not begin in the evening. This pay rush, though, was strongly attacked by the Ibanezra vav Ibinezra, who himself in many places explains the psucchim in opposition to them. Shot for some reason. He was very upset with this. He doesn't mention who he's attacking. He sent me, he attacks the he attacks the view, and pretty much all the scholars assume that he's referring to be in a rushbomb, because we don't know who else he'd be referring to, and he doesn't mention him by name, for Covode, And he says that this explanation gives strength to the heretics. Apparently there were heretics in those days who halajala Masa wanted to change it, which this would mean that Shabas would begin in the morning, not in the evening. And uh, but fine, so he attacks it and in his I Garrison Shabas, he has a whole. It's a nice letter. It's like he Shabbas is personified, et cetera. Art scroll published a mikroscodolos a few years ago, and lo and behold, and they're not the first ones to do this. This and funny business began about ten years ago or fifteen years ago in Israel. They've declared, someone declared that this can't be the rushbomb, because this is a heretical idea, just like Ibanezra says, and therefore it was removed from a few Macrosse Cadolos's in Israel. And when the Art Scroll published their edition of the Mirroscadolos, they have Rushbomb on Brashi's but he discusses this in five separate places in the first chapter. They cut out all those places, which it maybe is my most popular post ever written. Because art Scroll replied to it, and then I replied again to them. They they said that Ibinezra has told us that this couldn't be written by Rushbomb. It's not true. He doesn't say that at all. This is a passage in Rushbomb that's explained by so many Achronimkudi and Mikov Kamenetsky, who is art Scroll's one of their guides. The idea that you're going to take out a passage and you can declare that rush Bomb couldn't have written it. And we know we wrote it. We even know more now than we knew when I wrote my post, because we have the continuation through a manuscript. We have the continuation of his commentary. And he wasn't trying, he wasn't changing how he's probably not peep shot. And as I said, this is a view mentioned by a number of people that before matan Tora the day began, the evening in that night. So if you buy the Arts Girl micro Scodolo's kumish onm Braschi's I'm just telling you you do not have rushbomb. That's not the only thing you have. They also took out a rashi. Incidentally, they just deleted a rashi because they assume also rashi couldn't have said it the rashi antikun sofrim a section of a rashi.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: So that that's introduction to, uh, what we're talking about now. Because Rabbi Mazu's in discussing this. He says that we don't know who is the author of this commentary that Ibanezra is attacking. And I wrote to him, what do you mean we don't know everyone? I said, MSSTOLLI, you too know that the general assumption is that this is rush bomb. Do you think differently? I say to him, And he replies to me that yes, I know what the rush bomb says, and I alluded to it else to where he says, but I think he says that the Labavacharebbi has a different understanding of the rashbomb. But he he doesn't really explain why. I think because the Lebava Charebbi maybe didn't understand the rash bomb that way. He leaves it as maybe it's not the rush bomb, but he thinks it's the rush bomb. Okay, that's enough. A couple other things here till we get to the big one. Uh I wrote to him, He writes, Robbie Mosusa has written often about proper pronunciation of the sadi. We spoke about that, so I wrote to him that another example was Barcelona. Barcelona has written in Hebrew bet resh sadi because the original pronunciation is it's not the ts. He mentions the next thing I write about. He talks about how Rivitzakako weis the head of the adit Rebby Masusa speak about in tow where you can't have politics, and he says, look, Rabbi Weiss. He quotes the yabie Oh Mayor Josef. So I write to him that it's not actually true. He quotes the mayor. Before he came to the ADAD, once he was a rabbi in Manchester. He was off based in Manchester. Once he came to the Adaid in Jerusalem. Then he would never quote a Zionist. He can't, and Robi Mazus replies to that that politics destroys everything. As we know. Now this you'll find interesting. Number nine, he wrote in one of his weekly Torora sheets. He quoted something from Yeshiva University. He says, this is Ashiva University, but it could be ye hooly yote that they're also tell me come in there. So I wrote to him, what do you mean, what kind of quick comment is this? That it's a it's a university, but it could also be tell me I come in there? I said, apparently you don't know what Yshiva University is. And I say, first of all, there are also a lot of star dam there, including uh and as a start a Crossueshiva rebellion Alban Kraim. And then and I say that rebel lud Josef has given Scherym there or Omar has given cheerium there. And I say, as follows, they should give me an award. I have no connection to Yeshiva University. I never went to Yeshiva University. I'm the only person ever to be given named a Yu Scholar, never having gone to Yeshiva University. My year at Israel I was at BMT. They picked two students from all the yeshivas, they called them Yu Scholars, and we had a dinner at the Holy Land Hotel. Remember the Holy Land Hotel. Incidentally, the if you want to see the model of Jerusalem, it's now by the shrine of the Book at the Israel Museum. So we had a dinner with revunsin although so called Yu scholars and all the girls from their schools. Well and behold, afterwards, they come to speak to me O Yu. I said, but I'm not going to Yu. They just assumed I was going to Yu. So they made me a Yu scholar. And then Rabbi Blau I got to go to the dinner h and then Rebbi Blau came to ISRAELI took me on long walk trying to convince me to go to Yu, which I didn't. But I had no other than interviewing to be the Dean, believe it or not, ten years ago. So I have no reason to, you know, praise YU because it's my alma mater or anything like that. But I say as follows, there is no doubt that the Roshi Yeshiva and Rabin khan are the first rank. Who's there, Reschechter. We're gonna see Refector in a little bit. You're gonna hear something unbelievable from Reschector. I I say, you can disagree, but I say that he's the greatest post sake in America today. And I say there's other great Russia aschiva. There, there's co Wels, there, there's people learning. I say that seventy five percent I think this is correct. Seventy five percent of the rabbis, the pulpit rabbis in America come out of yu And and then I say that, why Yesshivaszahonan is the oldest ashiva in America and they've had great Russi yeshiva. Who are they? I'm saying this. Look, if you're from the Ashkenazic world, you know this. You might want to pretend that these people were not at well Yeshiva college, but you know it. For a Sphardic person, if someone comes from Tunis, they don't know about this sort of stuff. We're going to see later reminizers. He didn't even know if Solovachik was a great Russia Shiva. He just thought he was like a thinker. You'll see what he says. Who are they? The Machi tar Egoy we've spoken about him many times, or Shanapoulochek, the first one to come to America really to teach Tora here. He died young, I think fifty one years old from some sort of a gum infection. It's because he died young that Ramosha Salavachik was brought here, and that's why Rev. Joseph JB. Salivcik was brought here and the Machichrour never died. They would have remained in Europe and would have been killed, no doubt in the war. Presumably the machateur is the famous. So he's the one I remember. I told you walking he saw the guys playing basketball or all of some sort, and he said, why didn't they let us? Let us play ball in Europe? We would have been the same Tamikami, but we would have had a childhood. He's a Talman Moffawk of uh Refraim Brisker came to Velosion at age twelve and is bermtzvah there and is a Zilini and it was it was a Zionist, even though his rebby was not Shimon Scopp, rof Shimon Scopp. Do you know there of Shimon Scopp, the great Shimon he He would have stayed it, but as Yeshiva and Grodno was falling apart, and the Rawskraim and Vrai Moser told him me, I had to go back Ramosha Salvation jb orvis Dora Kaim Heller, the great Refraim Heller taught it. You put out the say for Mitztos, but then I say, rafshal Kasin passed away? Or shas Kasin who was the Rabbi of the Aleppo, the Syrian community in Brooklyn. He's actually hy you graduate Yeshiva college. He might have been the second Sardak Musmach after Rabbi Shalom Maimon, whom I mentioned. And I go on about that, and I said, when you come here, you should visit there, to which he replies, does he reply on this, No, he doesn't, Uh, yeah, you know, he just says that that I did. It's true. I saw that revd Jos visited there. And he mentions that there's some Yu guy who found sixty thousand words. I don't know what book he's referring to in other languages that go back to Hebrew. I don't know. And then okay, and then now we get into some bigger things though. Can you open refrigerator on shabas? We assume you can, But what do you do if the light is on? My mistake, If you're one of those people who don't take it out, you leave it in, then what can you do? Now? Many people have spoken about this, and Reba Mazuzo also wrote about it, and he thinks that if you forget to take out the light, you have to get a cut on to open it, cut on maybe six years old or something like that, and then you can't close it because the light's gonna go off. What you do is you you close it as much as you can, maybe leave something there so it doesn't close all the way. And even you might be able to close it, like if you just let it go, it just closed by itself. But then you have the problem the next day. So that's what you do. I wrote to him as follows that, Well, first of all, there is a cheeta, there's a there's uh someone named Nusson we call well notson of Rome, Nathan of Rome, the author of the roh. I want to see right now, if I can pull something up here, I have it here. Those who've been with me to Italy, you will I think I have a picture of this. Hold on a second, I'll see quickly here, and I think those who've been to Italy will remember what I'm gonna show you now. But there's an important work the aroh, which it's sort of You might think it's just like a jastro because it tells you what the words means, which is true. But uh, it's it's more than that. It's it's uh. It has all sorts of interesting perushim and the a is quoted in toast quotes quote elsewhere. I believe as well that as saying that obscration. Let me just go quickly if I want to show you a picture of something there, because I take you there on the first day, Nissan Benrio, I take you the very first day. If those who've been with we remember, No, it's going to be very hard here. Oh I found it, believe it or not. Okay, I'm going to show you something.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Let me pull you up here. I can show you the picture. The very first day on my trip of Rome might take you to we go across the river and let me see if it describes it here. Yes, so right here on this line you have the name Naton. It's carved in. We don't know why it's carved in. And just like there's more than one Nusson today, you have Notson come and asking us stuffing a lot. More so too, I assume that in medieval Rome there were other Nustsons as well. But yet when you the tour got so I like to show this because like I do in other cities, when you say Hebrew writing, maybe it belonged to an anjuw and he found that piece there and he used it whatever. But all the tour guides bring people there and they tell them that this is where of Nusson Beniel lived. I just look down here. What does it say here? This might refer to Rebbie Nathan Benaiel, who lived in the late eleventh and early twelfth century. Even that is foolish. You have a And what if if if I take you, when I take you to Cordeba, or if we go to Cairo, when you see us something in the wall that says Mosha, you're gonna assume it means the Rambam like there's no other mosha.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 3: This not. Nussan ben Hillo is known for one important position. He holds that a picrac is what is when you do an action and another action results and you don't intend it. So you do uh let's say, let's say you open up a door and then maybe behind you something goes on or off something like that. Uh, you don't intend it. Therefore it is permissible. Toastos disagrees, Toso says rabbinically, it's still forbidden. But we know that Rebri and Brisker held also the dying of risk and others they held like the that was permissible. So then what does this lead to? And this is what I wrote to Rabbey Mazous and this will be the thing. Oh, I see, it's already we're in the middle. We even you haven't even got to the big one I want to talk about. But so I wrote to him that you have written and said that you have to have a cut. Then listen to what Rabbi Body says. And we know Rabbia Body we spoke on about this unique post take from light Quinn, who's not afraid of unusual views. If you look in his volume of response of or You sug volume two, number one twenty six, number one sixty six. It's not even a long response, and it makes perfect sense if you hold by the arrouch. He deals with the question as well, can you what do you do if you don't have the light on? And he says it's really simple because assuming we hold like the arch, he does securationally, you don't want the light to come on. You wish the light wasn't on, and therefore it's no problem. You can open up the refrigerator even if the light goes on, and you can close it also, and it's even and not to mention the fact that it's when you close it, obviously that's dura bunnen. But uh, who says it's even de risa? But it is, He says, he gives another reason because when you open up it's like but he says, it follows I'll read in Hebrew. He says, he's miss well read in English. If you forgot to turn off the light in the refrigerator, it's an easy hitter to open and close it on Shabis and and why and he says that uh, and he he thinks it's dura buna. It's only a dura bunin issue here because he thinks the light is uh is as it is, it's a dura bunn and but uh, he doesn't think it's it's a problem at all. The refs uh uh to de Risa. You think suffolk anyway is secretional nicolakuyama huraka durabuan and so okay, so you can read it. So I sent this to Ruma Muscles and we will see next week what he says and what he says about the Then I want to speak about a couple other things in this about kostrous issues. How do you know what birds you can eat? The turtis, I mean, the tara tells us, but uh do you know that in Italy in the nineteenth century. I'm going to show you a picture, they ate like thirty different types of birds. What do we eat? Five? Six? What about pheasants? Why are we eating pheasants? Pheasants were eating? What about all the other birds? I'm gonna show you. It's not that ancient history.
Speaker 1: And yet what do we have?
Speaker 3: We got four or five different types of birds that we can eat. The tara tells us. The Orshami says that you're gonna be called to account for all the good things, all the things that you could do that you don't do. Don't try to take more things upon you. There's enough better us, sir. You're gonna be called to account for all the pleasures you could have and you didn't take advantage off.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 3: And then the next then we'll begin two more same morning from Mazous. We'll deal with Robby Salavacik, sarahsa debros. What does a sarah sad debros mean? What is the word debros? What is the root? H? What's going on there? And then jong to Shaney a couple other things, and then we'll move in as I said, back to Rabbi Rasabi, some new rabbis and new things. And as my mother asked me, one way gains to the Labavacha Rebbi. We're on page three oh six. The labavach Rebbi's on page three twenty one. We're not that far. We're not that far, okay, So let me take the questions and comments. This thing about Robabody is really interesting because no other post sake holds this. But you have to ask her why not if you hold like the o as a number of people do. It would seem to be an easy case that you can't do a gcriele. But if you forget to turn the light off on. I mean they say that about hotels. If you go to a hotel, for instance, and you're in one of these places where you can't go go in the hallway, the lights go on if it's completely dark. Ramma Zoos actually says you have to stay in the room. But it's never completely dark. There's always lights, you can always see. It's uh so it's a situational When you go out, you walk out. You're not supposed to stay in the room. You're not stuck in the room. You really you don't go to a place like that, But if you end up and that's where you are, So how is that different from open You need to get the food in a refrigerator, But Rabbi Abodhi says you can close refrigerator, open, close, open, close, because at the end of the day, it's a securational Michela. We don't do we want to be crouchets. For Tosos's view, however, if you forgot uh Rabbi Borack Simon, who's the big talmud from Yu the big talmutive Rabbi. A body told me that he told Rabbi A body don't include that, responds them, it's too controversial, and it is very controversial, I think. But uh, you have to ask off why it's controversial. It's as I said, I am held that we hold at the a, and if you hold at the ora, it should be a simple matter that you're allowed to open it in a case like that. Okay, let's get to the questions comments. Susanna says, how is it not a voda zara? I don't know what you're referring to, Susannah. David says, perhaps Toma hacham is the Hebrew translation of serbramara Bunden.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: I think Serbra miner Bunden is the Aramaic of of of Probably Tom. I was talking about the Uh, come to my grave and I'll take care of you. Oh, how is it not?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's a good question. I told the story. I'll tell again about Rashia from Kristeer. That last time we were in Budapest two years ago, there was a guy there and he told me that whenever he's in Hungary, he goes and he has issues, his problems. He goes through Rashia Andshia. He asks him, he gives Saduka and he asks Forshaya to take care of him, and it's always worked. So I said to him that, well, presumably you what you mean is that you're asking Vishaya to intercede with God. And he says, well, he goes. I asked Rishia what Rushia does, that's his business, but I asked Visha. So that is from it's not just perspective that is complete a vota asara you're asking it's doishaw amazing. But hasdi't have a different perspective? And why why isn't it oft azara? I think they would say that you're not praying to him. You're you're not making you're not saying that he's God or anything like that. You're just asking him for favors. And they'll say, how is that different from praying? Asking Racho It says Rachel praise uh, but uh, you're not supposed to request from the dead. So they they also say things like, well, they're not really like the dead that they're They have all sorts of things that won't satisfy Youzanna. What can I say, but they they they have turned graves into I mean, if you read the ram Bum, it seems you can't even pray in a grieve in a cemetery. They've turned graves into sites. Yes, it's a form. I think it is a form of votazaar. But you have to ask a has said to explain why it's not. Sometimes they say, you're not supposed to pray to the person. You're supposed to pray. You're supposed to direct the prayer to the person. You're supposed to direct it to God in the merit of the person. But we in Morocco, we spoke about this on the Morocco trip. They it's not just a city thing. In Morocco, they would direct prayers to the saints and they would ask the saint to take care of them. And just like the sufis uh do. So it's not just a stium. The Moroccans they they if something goes bad, they they have like patron saints Rubbi mayor or something else. Uh. It's it's very strange from our perspective, Jules, I have both the original God and I making of a God doll, and I have what's called I have it over there. I think he calls it the improved version or something. It's not improved, it's uh, it's made worse because he's well, I should say it's made worse, but it's different. He thought that the improved version, the second edition, would not be put under the hayroom because he took out the most controversial elements. But to know that was put under the hay room as well. Yes day Nelson Sliffkin when he moved into the more Datillo Me the Tatillo May community, he's no longer nuts and he's now Naton so ah. So Barr says, the band was on Nelson Sliffkins, not but it was actually a not on Nut on different person. It wasn't on the very cute, but it wasn't on notuson. Also it also was on the book. It wasn't on the person. But if you look in up. I gotta give a lot of credit both to Notton Sliffkin and to Notson Kamenetsky that both of them include in their books, him on his website and Russon come ask me where is it in his in his book? All the texts against them, and some of these texts, some of these things are so outrageous, and he he includes them. He includes them, all personal attacks against him. Let me show you something which I won't translate, but I think it's it's in the back here and and terrible stuff said about him, including from by left Goowitz that everyone should not be near him. Okay, it's here. Here it is. I'll hold it up so you can see. I believe it's right. Ah. This was hung up in his neighborhood. At the bottom, it says his book small cane, who making of Godoli. I'm not going to translate what it means at the bottom, but if you know modern Hebrew, you know what they're they're comparing the book to and he's the tame uh So if you read what's in the laws at the bottom, you'll see uh. In modern Hebrews have Katanim and Goadohim. So but there's he includes all the documents. So I give him a lot of credit for that. Of course he included him because he thought it made those people look very foolish. David says, Hatta has Daniel, Yes, thank you. Mel says, how do I interpret the statement Elie's pincloss If it's not a claim that Elio is a reincarnation of Pincluss. Well, there's two ways. Either it's literal or I think it's probably just uh, the characteristics. We know that at least that's hell. If you look at people at the Maral and others, they'll interpret I don't know if he does about this one, but that was their dereft. You could say the characteristics, not the literal, but they inherit certain characteristics things of that nature. The problem is mel is that the Gamara doesn't mention anything about Kilgol, so it's hard to say that that's what they would have been having in mind. But that's what and earlier mcouberlin don't say that either, as far as I know that, that's what Elio is pinclass. They do speak about the early mccabel, and do speak about how so and so is a reincarnation of so and so, But I don't recall any who actually say Eleo Pinchrass if that refers to that, maybe they do. Who does he support in the current election of Mazusa. It'll be nets on Yahoo, Yeah, David says o. Marianka Levitz is the first female claridimk and minister. It's like when it creates a problem because they'll say that by definition she if she's a minister and she's a woman, she is she can't be Gharedi. It's like they had that woman, a Garedi woman who was in the Labor Party. She was also in the Kandessa. If I recall who had a dog, you might remember David. So she came from like a Gara background, and they said the fact that she has a dog shows that she's not a Gharadi because by definition, a Kharadi can't have a dog. So they're gonna say that. And they said about Dove Lippmann, by definition he can't be a Kharedi.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: And I actually am sympathetic to that because the idea what Garadi means is you follow the Garadi leadership, and you have all these people who come out of the Haredi world, they're no longer following. They say things like, well, I am Paradi because Karadi means Pius and things like that, but that's not a Garadi means so and since all the Karadi Gadolin have said that women can't be ministers and things like that, so Mel says it's not a Kabbala thing when you sit in asuki, you're supposed to think about why you're doing so. Yes, okay, I take that back. You're right. But when I said a kabbala thing, also because you're supposed to also have a certain kabalistic type of kavanos. Also the Kafa khayam Uh mentions that as well. But yes, you're supposed to not it's not only I would say, it's not only a cabalistic thing. And Ramazou says that this is I said, what's the relevance that you know, what's the difference why we we siting a soka because the miss of sinusoka, who cares whether it's this way or that way, they whatever way it is, h we sit in asuka and we could relate to both of them. But that was his answer that because when you're sitting the you're supposed to have a kavana, and the cho tells you that the kavana is supposed to be an una covote, thank you, thank you. Mel David says, the day also begins in the morning in the base I make gest I mentioned that with the carbanos. Yes, so Santa says, we start the day at night, because that's what the Babylonians did v air of notwithstanding. Uh, well, I mean the we're assuming that the Torah tells us. The Torah could adopt things and say that we're doing it because this is the way we did it.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: I mean, Revel had been a mosaic, has no problem pointing out things that were continued pre terra civilizations. They were continued. He even sees this as part of the then Noahide civilization cancel culture. Yes, that was definitely there's the cancel culture, Jay says Ray Kellman. The day did begin the morning, Yes, you, and that's what David said. They point that out. Melo says, are not just canceling the rash bomb, they're censoring some individual passages. I quoted in my post things from Karadi who say that this is unbelievable what's going on here. And I have a whole list of all the godoling who dealt with the rush bomb. And my friend of mine asked for Shomo Fisher in RuSHA Alim, who's Godolspigdolium, and he was very disappointed when he was told, and he said that we do not censor our Godoling. Of course, they said, we're not censoring the rush Bomb. The rush Bomb didn't write it because look at the Abinezra. But first of all, the Abaneza doesn't say the Rosman didn't write. He says, it's just it's wrong. But second of all, even if the Abanezra did say that, so what so you put a note that Baneza said it, we don't. This has been an all the Mike roscadols so as Real says, more people and rabbis followed were of Chachtras covid Selking than followed any other American post game. Ah, that's interesting, uh, I know his his covid Celking were quite well followed, especially in our minion. We was very important in my outdoor minion because in one thing in particular, people were shocked, and then I showed them reschachters chuva and stopped all the grumbling. We dovened my we We dovined myriv before it was dark on shabis. Now you don't we do this all the time during the year. You can dive in myrev uh even if it's not dark after a certain time, especially for a minion. We're allowed to be. You know, you can contradict yourself with paga mincha and when you're supposed to start minhra and marev. But so normally shabas, we won't because what are you gonna do. You're gonna, let's say Shaba sends at six o'clock, you're gonna dovin myrav at five o'clock. But technically you're allowed to you can do it during the week. So Reschechter ruled that if it's in it's on the way you tour a site, that if you can't get a minion later, it's gonna be hard. That you certainly can dove in myriv earlier, just like normally you can doven myrev earlier, but you can't be mahau shabas obviously, and you'd have to Repeakreashman all that. But he says that you have to ask the local rabbi because, uh, you know, this is a communal sort of thing. So in the mid Pinion that I went to in the summer, we after lunch, we would come back with dovin minch and we dovin myrav and it's light outside. But uh, just like you could do this on a Sunday night or a Tuesday night, this is an emergency situation, you could also do it, uh, and then you just wait till time his mom is over, and then you dovin novdolla. You know it's just before Skia. You can dovin myrav with a minion before Skia. And we did that on Mose Sabas as well. Reli Hellman says that Schachter tells the same ball playing story about rappersch Brown in Montreal, the only one who gave us coma to a safer. But I think he might be confused. The story is actually the Machiatur. Jeffrey Guruk in his book on jusing sports actually mentions that in the beginning, it's the as Mel says, Yes, it's the Machiateur, and it's a famous, famous story. And Uh, in those days in the Yeshiva college was not on was not uptown, it was downtown. And I think, if I'm not mistaken, the machatur lived in Williamsburg. Uh, and he'd come so. But that that's the it's the Machiaturn. Chime says, it's not considered lo niklae if it's something you don't mind. In the case of the light, it would have to be something one dislikes. Well, that's not clear. On the contrary, they the sources hold that if you don't nila, you don't want it now here, you don't want it. You do not want the light. It's the fact that it helps you, but you don't want it. So that's for a counter of body, that's what the meaning is. And others say similarly that then it's not It's like if if something you did something and then all of a sudden it caused the molacha that a very good smell, you're gonna say, well, it's a very good smell. The answer is, you don't want to smell right now. You don't want the smell. You don't want the light. You don't want the light because the light's user. So that's how they read it. I understand that others might not read it that way, but that's how they read it. Now. The motion detectors see the motion detectors as different. Hitterium revism are things that you're just walking your own way. Uh, you have to get home. You don't need to be concerned about it. But others say it's it's it's another issue. And if you're walking in the in the hallway, for instance, at the hotel. Mazous says explicitly that if it's it's completely dark, you have to stay in your room. The whole showbist. But if there's a light on in the and Reschetter is a year on it also, then you don't need it like so. But if there's experts in Hello, Shabis, I'm hardly an expert, but that's you can look for everybody's chuva that that's and that's what he assumes. And by the way, this was an issue with hot water. There's about hot water on Shabis et cetera. They it's the same, it's the same idea. You don't you don't care what goes into the tank. Now instantly for a body, he recommends that you turn it down, so it's not it's not got solet its spoke and then there's not a problem at all. Common Shiner says, there's two Massa dinners. Not only are that I will talk about. I'll speak about the Massuri dinner's next Claire Raby Massous will mention the Massara dinners because Aris Evetowsky invited Rabby Massous to the Massora dinner, so we will see that next class. Zev says doesn't mean you will not want the result, you have no benefit from the result. I'm sure if you look you'll find disputes. Generally, it's understood is that you do not want the result. Now, yes, you do have a benefit. The light goes on. You have a benefit, but you don't want it. It's usually understood that you don't want it, not that you benefit. I'm sure there are people say that that's not the meaning. That the meaning is that you don't get any benefit, and therefore the light goes on. You do get benefit, there's no question you get benefit. But at least if a body holds and many others that I've seen hold that nile means that you don't want it. You don't you don't want the benefit. Let's put it that way. Yeah, but says Trump lost at least officially the last election. UH In twenty sixteen, a few days before the election, Jared and Ivanka went to the of the lebabach Rebi. But twenty twenty only Ivanka went, not Gared, and people wondered why Trump lost. You're right, Jared did not have a muna, did not have faith. Had Jared gone also, then Pennsylvania would have gone and other things. So you're right, that's that's the lesson from twenty twenty. You have to have a muna and go to the kever, Yes, David says Sphia Greenfield, the Merits Party. Yes, so she was a sir called merit over finished with yeah uh and finally enough, Tully says, the signs went up and all but but in all my trips to matrastor if either Ponimiros or Srutskin I never saw anyone who did not treat her Nusson kom NeSSI with respect as he walked through the streets or dobbin and show not only that if you thank you for that enough Tully. He includes in his book here in addition to all the attacks on him, he includes a letter that was put up in the neighborhood as follows, to show you that look, thank you enough, Telly. This was put up in the neighborhood. Bababa Masham, the people who live in the neighborhood bless with Nissa Kamenetsky Brumbi. This is when they came back from America. The harem was declared when he was in America. The whole issue of making a good as an example where the Haredi masses, and not just the masses, many of the rabbis, but the street never bought into it publicly. They might not speak about it, but everyone knew there are Nussan Kamenski's hachem and it's at sadik. And even if you say he made a mistake, it's he doesn't deserve to be uh, you know, totally destroyed like this. And the people who wrote the letter, other than one of them are a shiner. None of them could even understand uh English. And he wasn't given a chance to defend himself. In here he has a letter. He includes the letter. I think he includes it. I have it from Rabbi Zellagepster from America. I think it's in here which he wrote the facts. He wrote to Yashev saying what's going on here? Everything from Nelson said is correct. Yes, I Unfortunately it was a big loss. He didn't write anywhere. I'll end with this from Nelson. Kaman Eski did not write anymore. I got him. He wrote to me and I put it on the Foreign blog, and then he wrote a short piece. I got him to write something for the Sparing blog. But he was he planned on doing more, and he was totally disillusioned, and he worked. You can read the introduction where he speaks to make and out of the band what a book is. When someone writes a book, it's part of them, and to have it destroyed like this, and he no longer had any motivation and didn't speak. In the year of the band he spoke. You can go to Wayutra and hear him, and then he was quiet for a while, but shortly before his death. You can also see this as in Hebrew, a group of open minded paradim. They have like a seminar of sorts. You can see him on YouTube and he gives a whole talk to these and he's our gadi in the lvush and everything, and he explains his approach and it's really unfortunate. And I got to know him and I said I'm gonna have the essay. Not only did I hit to know him, I was the first one. I remember when the Harem first came out. Yeah, and everyone was saying, no, it can't be, it's not true. Of course, they always say it's not true, and it almost always is true. I'm the one who called him and I got his phone number, and I called him in California, and I was the first one and he told the information to and then I put it online, the details about the harem. And then we became friends. And one day maybe I'll publish, publish some of his letters to me and some of his emails to me. Okay, with that, we've we've gone far enough. Oh quickly, just for a new message, and I'll give it to Rebi Mortechai Broer wrote historical critique in him. I on, yes, well, I wrote the first critique. The first review of Kamenetsky's book is mine, and it was not a pleasant I did not I was not happy with this book. And he wrote to me, first I was banned, and then I was panned to me, he says, first I was panned, and now I've been banned, and uh, but I I, this is not history, but there's a lot of great stuff. But then Breyer wrote something about it, and uh, then someone else wrote it. And he has notes. I'm sure he has notes with his children. I think he must have notes and other stuff. I I I've also published the letter from Yako Komenetsky to his son of Neilson Kamenetsky, which I discovered Nelson Kamenetsky had a brief. He lost his copy. He made a copy and he gave it to Reber. He stuck in the archives at Yu. I found it looking through the archives from Musson. Komenetsky had totally forgotten about this. I show it to I didn't know who it was, which son it was, he says him, And that's the letter. You can find it online, in which of Yakov says that the reason he was asked by doctor Belkom to teach at Hyu, But he can't because then his sons would want to know, Well, if you're teaching there, then why isn't it good enough for us? And he didn't want to send his sons to why you? But he thought that it's important because it's the largest ashiva and they would have the most influence. So you see that, I think an interesting letter. And the last question is David says for Musman ask He said he had completed his research for all the subsequent volumes, and his notes are in his study. What that means, I have no idea, because the children will not ever put out. He was fortunate that his children had all been married when this came out. So I just hope that maybe they'll take my advice and put it away, and maybe in twenty five years, one hundred years after we're gone, someone can use it because they're not going this has not been forgotten and they're not going to let it out. I can tell you that, Okay, we've gone long enough. How by Kellman.
Speaker 1: This series was originally recorded in twenty twenty and twenty twenty one as part of an ongoing lecture series. To sign up to attend the lecture on Zoom, please visit toronmotion dot org. Please rate and review us in your paper podcast app, or even better, tell a friend to give the podcast to listen