Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: Can we go somewhere.
Speaker 1: For a couple months, I can I switch out with one of those trapped astronauts.
Speaker 3: Oh, and then come back like February, yeah.
Speaker 1: Or mid January, January tenth. It won't be settled by that. It won't be settled by then.
Speaker 3: No, but you want football playoffs?
Speaker 4: I do.
Speaker 1: I do. I need to lean into football. I need to lean into it and out. I just I woke up this morning.
Speaker 3: I love our.
Speaker 1: Job, I love this show. I love coming in here. We have a great time. But I just woke up thinking, I do not want to talk about this anymore.
Speaker 3: Well, we're twenty days out from the election.
Speaker 1: Because I feel like everything I say is like slapping someone's baby, and the baby's change every day. The baby change, the baby changes, it changes, it's a different baby.
Speaker 5: Oh.
Speaker 2: I see, you can't say anything right.
Speaker 1: It's just it's just And I'm not even very opinionated about this. We're just presenting the news and what's going on.
Speaker 6: Here was what I recognized. Last night we watched two great shows last night. Now I will talk about more in depth on when we get to what you watch on Wednesday, but one of them was the Chimp People show.
Speaker 3: This thing on Hbiona.
Speaker 6: It was I guess from one of the directors or producers of Tiger King. But it's about a woman in Missouri who runs or ran a chimpanzee habitat there.
Speaker 3: And I love chimpanzees.
Speaker 6: I've gone to places like that, but I was amazed at the world that existed where these people are only taking care of chimpanzees. That's their life, that's that's their life. And at the end of the show, I pause, I stopped it, I turned it off, and I turned it off and I said, and they don't give two corny turds who's going to be the next press.
Speaker 3: No, they just don't care.
Speaker 2: What a nice life.
Speaker 6: And there are some pockets of humanity where people aren't as enthused or angry or frost like. They have other things. They're dealing with health issues in their family, or Grandma's not doing well, or the mortgage is doing it.
Speaker 3: It's a luxury to be obsessed by this sea it.
Speaker 6: Is and it's such a weird thing to have to talk about it and then have the same distaste for it that we do.
Speaker 1: I had this realization when I was in episode seven of Love Is Blind to BB when I realize it's not my addiction to Love Is Blind that gets me into that show so much.
Speaker 3: It's the fact that.
Speaker 1: I want nothing to do with any in politics when I come home, I don't want to deal with it.
Speaker 2: I don't want to think about it.
Speaker 1: I mean, I will watch the interview tonight on Fox News. Brett Bear by the way, is getting lit up on social media. It's right maga people.
Speaker 3: Which is lit up.
Speaker 6: And I don't quite understand why they think he's not capable of handling himself in an interview.
Speaker 1: They're suspicious that it's going to be edited, that there was concessions made to the Harris campaign for them to ever agree to be on Fox News and all of it.
Speaker 6: He has repeatedly said the reason that they're not doing it live is because that's the only time that they allowed him or that they had for the Vice president to sit down with him, which is I think it's about an hour before his show goes live, three o'clock hour time.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 6: And he's like, but listen. I'm not going to edit it. I'm just going to record it. They call it Live Life to tape. So basically, you hit record and then you hit stop, and then when three o'clock rolls around, he goes back and he hits play and plays the entire thing, warts in all, which is what CBS should have done a couple of weeks ago, and they didn't and have refused to. I don't make decisions about it until we see it, and it frustrates me that people are automatically I mean, we talked yesterday about the lack of faith that Americans have now in mass media like this. This is a step, hopefully in the right direction, at least for Brett Bear and for his product. But I don't understand why people are immediately assuming he's going to do the bad things.
Speaker 1: And then the other question is, so this is going to be three pm our time?
Speaker 3: Correct? Yes? Okay? The other question is is if.
Speaker 1: There are a lot of warts, as you say, will the warts be on display on the other networks? Will this thing see the light of day in mainstream media?
Speaker 6: Interesting because Fox This Morning played they recorded it yesterday, but they played a town hall with Donald Trump in a room full of women at the Red Farm or Reed Barn or something like that down in Georgia, and CNN has been playing it over and over again. Now, granted, you can argue that they're taking the worst points of it and they're not giving the former president a full answer.
Speaker 3: But so maybe they do.
Speaker 6: Maybe they are using it maybe where maybe we're in that point, you know, three weeks out of the election, where they are going to start cannibalizing is not the right word, using each other's material to keep everybody informed.
Speaker 3: All right, we'll see.
Speaker 2: Well, there was a big radio interview that Kamala.
Speaker 1: Harris did to appeal to as there's they're saying black voters. So we'll talk about that. Trump was on Univision or is it going to be interesting, that'll be interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of that.
Speaker 6: Listen again, it's distasteful and it's kind of it's like eating a tasteless crack.
Speaker 1: It's like, there was this one time that my husband, we were on a cruise, man he ordered a he doesn't eat meat till he'll eat chicken and fish, but isn't easy to me. You eat red meat, the good stuff, and he ordered a veggie burger okay, And it came to the table and it looked like a toasted s sandwich.
Speaker 3: It was off, it looked gross.
Speaker 1: It looked like someone threw up and then put it between two buns.
Speaker 3: That's what it looked like.
Speaker 1: The same color, the same consistency, total soup sandwich.
Speaker 3: Nasty as hell. That's what this is like. Gary Shack will continue.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump called himself the father of IVF. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So he was at a town hall in Georgia. It was billed as focusing on women's issues, had an all female audience, and he said, we really are the party for IVF. We want fertilization. It's all the way, and it's all the way, and it's all the way.
Speaker 6: Again, he would if he would just be able to complete some sentences. I think if we've been able to understand what he's said. The father of IVF, that's a new one. He has talked about subsidizing IVF should he become president. We've talked about and it makes sense, it really does, because people are waiting longer to have children and it's harder. Everyone knows this the longer you wait, and not everybody can afford IVF. So subsidizing that is a big deal. I don't know how that would work. We've talked about the expenses of IVF.
Speaker 3: And who qualifies who doesn't do You just get it?
Speaker 2: Everyone just gets it.
Speaker 6: Vice President Harris was on with Charlemagne the God. We have a pretty lengthy interview with the Breakfast Club morning radio show, and not a lot of you know, hardball questions thrown at her necessarily.
Speaker 5: I do want to say President Obama was out there last week waving his finger at black men. Are Liz Cheney and Hillary Clinton going wave day finger at white women? Wini Bill Clinton and Joe Biden going wave day finger at white men? Because fifty two percent of white women voted for Trump in twenty sixteen, fifty per voted for Trump in twenty twenty, they all voted against their own interests.
Speaker 3: When the finger wait waving gonna start them.
Speaker 7: Well, thank you for highlighting that I do have the support of over two hundred Republicans who worked for various administrations, including everyone going back to Ronald Reagan to any more than two hundred, John McCain and Romney, and including Liz Channan. I'm very proud to have for support and I believe that they who many of them who may have voted for Trump before, are supporting me because they know the stakes are so high in terms of our very democracy.
Speaker 5: And rule of law, and so the finger wagons just start today.
Speaker 7: Artemar Well, I think what is happening is that we are all working on reminding people of what is at stake, and that is very important.
Speaker 1: So he highlights something that I tried to highlight. I did it in a slow role because I am a white woman. But when Barack Obama went to that event and started talking down to people and sounding condescending to a bunch of black men and saying things like, you're all just not feeling voting for a woman, and you know you need to get over that, so to speak, I thought that was going to come across awful. I thought it was going to not hit any tone that they want to hit talking to black men.
Speaker 2: And as a white woman, I know it's hard.
Speaker 1: I should sit this one out, But I don't think that black men like to be talked down to, and they certainly don't like to be told how they're feeling and that they're less than for not wanting to vote a woman into the White House, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: I just didn't think that that would go over with anyone.
Speaker 1: And he highlighted that that it came across in a finger wagging moment. That's how it came across, like that was a hurdle. I think Barack Obama talking like that put up another hurdle for them to achieve that voting block.
Speaker 6: Right, But he also falls into that same trope that I don't like about making assumptions about people's voting choices based on some immutable characteristic the skin, their gender, Like, I mean there is a.
Speaker 3: Change the polling, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 6: I mean there's a very specific gender issue that has come up in this election, this specific cycle that hasn't been seen in others, where women are falling towards the Democrats and men are falling towards Republicans in more pronounced numbers than before.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 6: Part of it might be because it's a female candidate versus a male candidate. It can't be that simple, and it shouldn't be that simple. I think that we have a critical I shouldn't say there is a large number of voters perspective, registered likely voters who are more critical than just saying I'm going to vote for her because of a her, or I'm going to vote for him because I don't want to vote for her, or I mean, there's there's got to be I'm way too optimistic about this sort of thing that you should allow people to choose who they want to vote for, regardless of what you think is best for them them.
Speaker 3: Let them make the decision for themselves. I will say this.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about it because it strikes me as interesting, and I can't find a better word than that. And I need to find a better word than interesting, because it's so easy. But my female friends, I hear about the ones who are voting for Trump, they'll tell me there there, they'll tell me why, They'll tell me all the.
Speaker 2: Things I don't know.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard any of my female friends tell me they're voting for Harris. They haven't told and it doesn't mean they're not. But the vocal ones are the ones that are voting for Trump.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Interesting, That's the way my mom said it.
Speaker 2: That the way my mother continues to say it for both of them. But uh, isn't there a better word for that?
Speaker 3: Notable?
Speaker 2: What's another?
Speaker 3: You know what we need to get out Arthosaurus to death when we come back. What it's like to live without water? Well, is this because of the earthquake.
Speaker 6: It's part of it is the earthquake, but also there are people who are doing it right now in North Carolina after Hurricane Helene, and they've gone for a couple of weeks now without water.
Speaker 3: We'll talk.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: The synonyms for interesting are not what I'm really interesting. Absorbing, no, engrossing, no fascinating That one works. Riveting, No, that doesn't mean it. Riveting is not interesting. That's a completely different thing. Gripping, compelling, all different things and interesting. Interesting is not good nor bad, just of interest, of.
Speaker 6: Interest like this show continued blitz of media appearances for both major candidates today a Vice President Harris, former President Trump couple town halls, one of them broadcast already this morning. Former President Trump was in a room full of women down in Georgia. He's got another one on Univision tonight. Kamala Harris, meanwhile, is going to be sitting for her interview with Fox News's chief political anchor Brett Bayer this afternoon, and then has some campaign stop in Pennsylvania, Washington crossing Pennsylvania right near Phillip New.
Speaker 1: Day New allegations again, Sean Ditty combs. This one is that he molested a teenage boy at a party in the Hamptons. In the meantime, his lawyers are calling for a judge to release the names of the six people who filed the new lawsuits anonymously. I believe the tally is up over one hundred and twenty at this point.
Speaker 6: The extended family of Eric and Lyle Menendez is going to advocate for their release from prison during a news conference a little bit later today. I believe it's right after our show is over. They're billing this as a powerful show of unity, more than a dozen family members.
Speaker 1: Yesterday, the report was out of Vanity Fair that DA George Gascone had called the family, some in the family for a press conference, that there would be some sort of announcement. Possibly because he summoned the family, we thought it would be favorable for the Menendez brothers.
Speaker 3: But everybody the DA's office is like, what what are you talking about?
Speaker 2: What's going on? I think this is a Mark Geregis production.
Speaker 1: I'm the Mark Geregis circus that he planted that in Vanity Fair and is just a big press conference outside CCB with him as the ring master.
Speaker 6: Supposedly there's a note that was written by Eric Menendez also that Gascone shared on social media on Sunday and wasn't supposed to so he deleted the post. That may make an appearance today, So anyway, we'll talk more about that the top of next hour. There is a continued turmoil in the wake of Hurricane Helene where people are still trying to figure out how they are going to get a water, clean potable water, and they say it's likely going to be weeks or months even before the regular taps in that part of Appalaysia begin flowing with that clean water. About one hundred and sixty thousand households in and around the town of Ashville get water, specifically from one water system, and the hurricane completely demolished some of the key pieces of that system. And they say about half of the people will actually get water coming out of the tap when they turn it on, but they obviously don't know how many how much progress has been made in restoring service in the last couple of days, and what does come out of those taps is muddy, it's contaminated.
Speaker 3: You have to boil it and strain it.
Speaker 6: So they've been forced to collect water from streams or pools to flush the toilets, carefully take care of the water supplies that they know are safe for drinking or washing dishes or hands.
Speaker 1: When the water comes back, will it be safe also questionable.
Speaker 6: They said that the waters that swept away some of these towns that've killed more than one hundred people in North Carolina tore apart massive water lines. They damaged pump stations that would be necessary to move the water in a very hilly country like that, And they said they're making steady progress and putting the whole thing back together. They have crews out there twenty four hours a day, but just because they can get the water flowing doesn't necessarily mean that the pipes themselves are clean. The amount of dirt, sediment, stuff that gets into these pipes once they're broken causes massive problems. So once they do get everything back up and running, they're telling people to run their tap for about fifteen minutes to try to clean out all of the sediment everything that was in those lines before they use anything, and even then boil that water and only use it for flushing toilets. Well you don't have to boil it for flushing toilets, but flushing toilets and for showers and things like that, but not to just take a big old gallon jug of water and drink that. This is this echoes Unfortunately, what we were talking about earlier in the week about the potential for an earthquake to cause water supply problems here in southern California, and there are things that you can do. Obviously we told you about the one tip, which is if the earthquake hits, first thing you should try to do is fill a bathtub with water. I mean that's you know, tens of gallons of water, one hundred gallons or whatever water that you would have available to you for things like blushing the toilet, that sort of stuff. And have a figure out where you're going to get water in the in the meantime. Do you have a stack of bottles of water in the garage that you rotate through on a regular basis or something. But it's one of those that you we assume because we've been so lulled into a sense of security about when I turn that tap on, clean clear water is going to come out and a lot of a lot of times that gets taken away in the disasters like this.
Speaker 8: As a former assistant to a taxidermist, Shannon, let me go ahead and tell you that the only thing they really think about during political season is what kind of goofy poses they can put most of the politicians into.
Speaker 3: Exactly have a great day, thank you.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you, like, the posing alone is a big decision. What are you gonna do with the you know, the facial situation, right, are you gonna put any accouterment in terms of like a tree or something like?
Speaker 3: What are you gonna mount it on you and your words? Today?
Speaker 4: Hey, Garyan Shannon, I just learned this one the other day during a disaster. If you turn off the intake valve to your hot water heater, you literally have thirty forty or fifty gallons of clean fresh water that you can access from the bottom of the hot water heater to a hose.
Speaker 3: Anyway, just how I pass that along.
Speaker 6: That's an excellent point if you still have a tanked water heater, a tank water heater as opposed to a tank list I'm not sure why I have to turn the intake off.
Speaker 3: Of the hot water. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm not a plumber. It should shock you, but I'm not.
Speaker 3: Does he mean the flow back to the house. You turn that off?
Speaker 1: You're speaking Chinese, speaking of China. Two giant pandas are going to be calling the National Zoo and DC home for the next decade.
Speaker 3: Three year old bow Lee.
Speaker 1: Whose mom was born at the zoo and grandparents lived there for twenty years, had no problem hopping out of his shipping crateon into the indoor habitat yesterday afternoon. He sniffed around a bit before chowing down on some bamboo. His counterpart is Chingbao, a little more hesitant exiting her crate, but eventually took us dip in the small pool in the enclosure, where she let out a giant jetlagged yawn. Why are we letting China into our zoos?
Speaker 6: You think they're those pandas are listening? Not really pandas.
Speaker 3: That balloon lived a long life in our skies. Who's eight days eight days, and now we're just letting him in.
Speaker 1: We're just letting the balloons in the form of pandas into Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: I have other animal news that's important, Like don't you.
Speaker 1: Think if we got something from China, we should put it in like Tulsa would.
Speaker 3: Why they're far away from DC, far away from the DC part.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well, I mean there's military bases in Oklahoma that you'd be concerned.
Speaker 1: Okay, well maybe not Tulsa, maybe somewhere in Wyoming.
Speaker 6: California has recorded its sixth case of bird flu in dairy farms in just three weeks. Eleven livestock herds have also been affected by the virus. A former former after a food expert is saying raw eggs right now pose a risk.
Speaker 3: So things like soft.
Speaker 6: Boiled eggs or poached eggs, or dishes like eggs Benedict might want to be avoided altogether.
Speaker 3: Cook your eggs thoroughly, he says.
Speaker 1: Charles Boehm had to write his dad's obituary. Dad Robert died seventy four years old after falling and hitting his head in his apartment in Texas. So Charles started googling it, like, hell, am I going to write in an obituary?
Speaker 7: What?
Speaker 6: He ran across another funny obituary and then decided to write his own for his dad, Robert off Bomb, in accordance with his lifelong dedication to his own personal brand of decorum, muttered his last unintelligible and likely unnecessary curse on October sixth, shortly before tripping backward over quote some stupid mfing thing and hitting his head on the floor.
Speaker 1: Robert was born in Winters, Texas, to the late Walter Bohm and Betty Smith, on May sixth, nineteen fifty, after which God immediately and thankfully broke the mold and attempted to cover up the evidence.
Speaker 6: The obituary goes on to talk about how dad took up shooting in his later years and managed to blow not one, but two holes in the dashboard of his car.
Speaker 1: He said his dad had a penchant for fashion, was frequently seen about town wearing the latest trend in homemade leather moccasins and a wide collection of unconventional hats and boldly mismatched shirts and pants.
Speaker 3: Sounds like our morning show host. He says.
Speaker 6: We have all done our best to enjoy or weather Robert's antics up to this point, but he is God's problem now, and then asked everybody for the memorial a couple of days ago to wear whatever outdated or inappropriate clothing they liked.
Speaker 3: To his dad's farewell tour. That's so great.
Speaker 1: When he said the oh bit to the funeral home the martuary that was handling his dad's creamation, the mortuary owner said he almost choked on his breakfast from laughing when he read it.
Speaker 3: That is also a racket. By the way, the amount of money to pay to put.
Speaker 1: An obituary anytime, Oh, it is awful. It is like thousands of dollars. That's how newspapers are still alive. It's the only way when you die. Yes, I'm just going to do your obituary live on the air, awe, and then it can be preserved that way, that.
Speaker 3: Way digitally somewhere.
Speaker 1: Not that I would be one writing your obituary, but whoever does, you.
Speaker 3: Might read it. I'll read it, You'll read its, appreciate it. You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 6: You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.