Speaker 1: It's time for Coffee and Company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: Just a few days away from the second Louisville football game of the season, they're going to be taking on Jacksonville State. I mean, that wasn't for effect. I literally had to make sure I had it right. Jacksonville State's who they play, and they're favored by four touchdowns and hopefully they win by more than that. But even if they don't, you know, they win by twenty eight. I guess it will depend on how it looks. But that's where I just get so annoyed with these situations when you play these games, because you know, if they did kind of take their foot off the gas and got a little sloppy because they're up thirty five and end up only winning by like twenty four, that wouldn't be ideal. But like, I can't act like it really worries me, because again, they know who they're playing against, and to be fair, Jacksonville State is an FBS team, It's not Division two FCS kind of like what you had last week against Austin p and they know that. You know, they got a week off next week and then they got real games that will actually have some value because you know, their games against conference competition. And oh, by the way, Notre Dame that trip up to South Bend will likely be against a team that's in the top five. So you know, I hate to say, just get this one out of the way, but that's kind of what it is. Now. Speaking of these smaller programs of the FCS level like Austin p was and Jacksonville State, who I believe is still relatively brand new to the Division one FBS level, I do appreciate these coaches at these levels, you know, being a little more honest with us, right, like, don't lie to us. What I mean by that is like, don't lie to us and tell us that you know that you're excited to go play Georgia when you're you know, you're ut Chattanooga, right like we all know that that's that that's not true, and in fact, it was, uh, let's see here yet. This is the write up from KSR that I thought was interesting. Nick Rousch put it together and it's I mean, it's acknowledging that you know, you had Chattanooga who just played Tennessee and of course they got demolished.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And they asked the mox head coach Rusty Wright, if UTC will play any other quarterback that's close to the Tennessee QB Nico, how do we say that? Ima Levilla. I'm sure I'm not singing it correctly, but I need to get familiar with his last name because it sounds like that kid's got a chance to be really, really special. But anyways, you know, he said he hopes not. He said, hell, I hope Well, I'm sorry, let me back up. When asked if they would see a QB this is close to as good as this guy, he said, hell, he hopes so, which I'm not really I mean, I don't know what he mean. Does he mean he wants to see another guy that good? I don't really understand that response. But this is a guy who I'm a fan of. This is Tennessee Tech head coach Bobby Wilder. They play. They played Georgia this weekend, and here's what he said at his press conference yesterday. If I was being honest, I would tell you I'm not thrilled to be headed to Athens, Georgia this weekend. So I'll be dishonest and say, I'm very excited to be playing Georgia at Sanford Stadium in front of ninety three thousand Georgia fans. Well, at least thank you for being honest in telling us that you're gonna lie to us, because like nobody should, nobody could be looking me. In fact, I think the biggest task that you have as an FCS coach or a low level G five program is to not let these games kill you, Like, don't let this kill your team's confidence, don't get hurt, right, Like, I mean, it's it really is sad. If you if you know, and I'm not, I can't. I can't give you any fake emotion, like I'm genuinely heartbroken for these student athletes. But like if you're playing at Tennessee Tech or Chattanooga and you're going into play ut or UGA, like you know, you're there to get your ass kicked physically so your school can get a check to pay the bills. I mean, that's what this is.
Speaker 3: It's almost like the most important game for those types of schools. Let's take Western Western Kentucky for example. You just got your ass beat by Alabama in week one on the road. To avoid that, you know, I guess, get that demoralizing kind of mindset out of your system.
Speaker 4: You want to come out in week two.
Speaker 3: I don't know who WKU is playing exactly or who some of these FCS teams are playing after that, but you want to at least get some confidence back after you get your your you know.
Speaker 2: Test beat in and you know if you can control it on your schedule. I mean, I would like, let's look up Western Kentucky schedule because they're in They're in USA, yes, and they'll have non conference games like the one they just played against Alabama, but they'll also play I mean, don't they end up playing some pretty lowly like at least one.
Speaker 4: They play EKUS.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Okay, by the way, there's some drama there unless Yeah, we'll get into that in just a second. But yes, like this is perfect for WKU, and I would imagine they probably scheduled it this way. If we're going to have Bama at Brian Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa to open up, let's get our get right game be the very next week against EKU, which I'm sure that rivalry used to be competitive, but obviously Eastern Kentucky is still in the FCS level, whereas Western Kentucky is is you know, FBS, and they've had some success they I mean them getting beat sixty three to nothing really doesn't mean they can't have a good season. That means it's just there's a big difference between those two programs. There's a reason Bama was paying them one point nine million to go down there for that game. So in basketball, you have these games too, the bye games, and there's not as much money because again there's not as much money made. You don't know, you don't make the same amount of money every time you open up your gate in basketball like you do in football, but you're not physically taking I mean, yeah, basketball is a physical sport. You can get hurt. But like, imagine being the starting running back and you got to you gotta you gotta towe the ball eighteen times against Alabama. And you know last year you were playing two A football in small school Tennessee in high school, and now you're getting beaten down by Bama, And yeah, hell of an opportunity playing in Bryan Denny Stadium. But like you could also get hurt and never play again, and that can happen any playing football. But you know what I mean, It's just I don't know. As much as I am annoyed by these kind of games, I will say it's much easier if everybody's just acknowledging the obvious here right, Like yesterday we played the Rich Rodriguez sound Hell, he'll play Alabama twice in a weekend if they want to pay him what they paid Western Kentucky. And then you have these coaches. Yeah, I mean, if I got to be honest with you, I'm not happy about going there, But I'll lie to you and tell you that I am happy about going and playing in front of ninety three thousand fans against a team that you know, I'm still convinced, at least you know me personally, I think Georgia beating Clemson the way they did actually says more about Georgia than anything else. I know. Others have a different reaction. And I'm not trying to take the heat off Dabbo at all, because he deserves all the heat and criticism that he's getting. But like right now that people realize the run that George is on, like them not making the playoff last year just because of the way it played out, you know, Bama beating them in the SEC championship game, it was gonna be hard to not put Bama in ahead of them, But like, they could go down and it'll never be remembered because the last four team playoff, the controversy is always going to be Florida State. But if Bama not sorry not Bama. If Georgia like wins the next two championships and they have four or five, which, by the way, that's more likely to happen than unlikely. For being honest, no, think about it, Like, if they go four or five, I think we may re we may look at the twenty twenty three playoff and kind of revisit the controversial thing there. It'll be more like, how did we leave George out? Because, by the way, there's no active coach in college football coaching that has ever beat Kirby Smarter at Georgia. Think about that, Think about that. I mean, I guess not ever, but like in the last however many years they've been on this crazy run.
Speaker 4: That is pretty wild to think about.
Speaker 2: I mean, there, Georgia is a monster. It's a machine. So Tennessee Tech's getting ready to play the it's it's it's just wild.
Speaker 4: Butthole Tech.
Speaker 2: Basically, yeah, I mean, I'll get them mixed up. Man, we had butt cracks. I got greedy with the butt stuff we did. Imagine just now tuning in and hearing that I got greedy with the butt stuff because I had Butthole Tech. Right, it's butt crack State. Yeah, Butthole Tech and butt crack State, and then I just got him mixed up, and it, you know, became to it just you know, I got greedy with the butt stuff. I should have just stuck with one of the butt schools, and now I get him mixed up, and I call them the wrong thing. I don't mean to be disrespectful to Butthole Tech and.
Speaker 3: Play, because obviously these first two weeks for Louisville are their easiest games on the schedule.
Speaker 4: Which one was Butthole Tech, and then which one's butt.
Speaker 2: Butthole Tech is Austin p butt Crack State is Jacksonville State. And then that's it, though, and then we're done. Butttholes are gone, and then we're done. Yeah, all the butt stuff is done. Speaking of the butt stuff, Uh, this story out of Louisville about the porch pooper. It came up last week and I thought it would be you know, no more. In fact, I thought it was wild. I mean, I think, I'm pretty sure. I'm perusing the web, the local news stations, meeting online, and I see that they've got a story about a guy who pooped on somebody's porch and ran away. You remember this, Johnny came up.
Speaker 4: I remember it.
Speaker 2: I just assumed that. I mean I remember thinking like that makes the news. Hm. Little did I I know they knew they had something special here, not meaning the poop, but you know the story because it's now become a national story. There's this guy that keeps showing up and pooping on the same porch. I mean, I know Barstool Sports did something on it. I think the Daily Mail had a story on it. The Louisville porch pooper has now gotten national attention, and the video from the ring camera. Somebody knows this guy, like it's gonna like he's gonna be known. I mean, first of all, why you would do this anyway? No clue? And the people who are the random, the random victims here, they get, they get, you know, a dump left on their porch. Like just imagine thinking to yourself, who who could I have recently made an enemy of who could I have angered to? Where instead of you know, confronting me or you know, physically threatening me, they're just gonna poop on my porch. Like you would have to think, Okay, I know that if I pissed off this person, they'd let me know about it. You may think, well, you know what, if I'm aid this guy angry, he probably wouldn't confront me, but you know what, he might come poop on my porch, Like what are we doing here?
Speaker 3: I'd be more scared to poop on somebody's porch than actually talk to them about what I was angry about.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, imagine getting caught.
Speaker 2: I think that's pretty normal behavior because I don't think many people are going around like pooping on porches. But here is a w This is from way three. They had an exclusive on the uh. I mean, here's what it says. You've heard of porch pirates, but what about porch poopers? Right now? Olympde is looking for one man who has been pooping on one homeowner's porch multiple times this week for no reason. That was last week and that's when I guess it became the story and I was like, well, this is kind of odd. Well, now this same guy came back and did it again over the holiday weekend, and he knows he's on the news, right, you don't, I mean, you know, and it's like he wants to get caught because he's not even hiding his identity. I mean, it's here we go, right and begins hearing he's doing that stupid thing again with the with the sound. I'll get it fixed though, But I mean the fact that they don't have a clue who it is. It's not somebody that they've seen in the neighborhood, and it's just I mean, it's very unusual. I mean, first of all, it's disgusting behavior. But am I a sick o myself for wanting not only this guy to get caught so he stops doing it and justice can be served. I got questions for my man. I want him on this show. I want to figure out, you know, what led you to, like what led you to do this? And I'm sure you know that'll never happen and maybe we never find out who it is. But like the footage very high quality on the ring cam these days, I don't know if yeah, we have we have one, but you know, I've never I mean I never use it or look at it. My wife does if somebody's at the door and we're not home. But like, you can get really good looking footage to where you can figure out who somebody is. And again I don't think anybody's identified this guy, but like if somebody called in a tip and said, hey, I think it's this guy and they pulled up his driver's license photo given, and how high quality the footage is, I would imagine you'd be able to say, yeah, that's him.
Speaker 5: This is started with this Sunday night, a young man in a red shirt walks up to one Louisville home well after midnight and begins peering inside. The homeowners have no clue. After a few seconds, the man runs away in his socks and disappears into the night. But the next night he returns and leaves a horrific surprise.
Speaker 6: Tuesday morning, I went out to my front porch and notice this what I thought was a cat poop.
Speaker 5: The homeowner, who wishes to remain anonymous but who we'll refer to as Jim, then checked his doorbell camera and realized it was no cat at all.
Speaker 6: And it turned out to be a person, and not only did he defecate, but he also urinated on our welcome mat.
Speaker 5: What's even more disturbing, this respect man returned a third time the very next night. Jim got an alert on his phone and tried to confront him, but the man was already gone. You have no idea who this guy is.
Speaker 6: Or I have no idea. I have no idea. We're good neighbors. We you know, keep to ourselves, we behave ourselves, and I can't imagine that somebody would want to do some kind of retribution.
Speaker 5: Jim has now filed three police reports for each night his home has been targeted, but so far no arrest. Just a big mess he's now forced to clean up.
Speaker 6: I'm relieved that he's not violent or he's not trying to force entry. He's just doing his deed. But it's very disconcerting and disturbing.
Speaker 5: In Louisville, war Johns Wave News.
Speaker 2: I shouldn't laugh because that's like, I mean, if it was you, you'd be weirded out, you'd be grossed out, you'd be pissed. But it's also just like this guy's not right. Yeah, there's and and if it's the same, like this guy, whoever it is that's doing this, he is singling them out and nobody else because if other people were getting there there, I mean with the attraction that this story he has, I mean, you had people calling into Wave three and saying, hey, he got me too, We've got we've got footage. This guy just randomly, you know, picked a house and maybe there's maybe he has a reason as to why he's targeting them and dropping dumps on their porch and peeing.
Speaker 3: I also thought it was call it kind of funny. I feel like the reporter there was was telling the story like it was a bedtime story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it fun I think he was. It's a very serious situation, John, I mean, we got porch poopers here. So again, that story that I just played from from uh Wave three was last week and then this past holiday weekend he came back and did it again. I'm reading here from Wave three. It says the now infamous porch pooper, who has been targeting the same Louisville homeowner over the past week, has struck again. The homeowner, who again is still nameless, told Wave three News yesterday, meaning Tuesday, that the porch pooper visited his home four times last week and two more times over Labor Day weekend. After the September first incident, the homeowner put cat litter and loud sonic speakers out on his porch to scare the porch pooper away. The homeowner says it appeared to work because that during the second visit, the porch pooper was frightened and ran away, So maybe he did scare him off.
Speaker 4: But man, I mean, cat litter, what a what a move right there?
Speaker 2: I mean I have so many questions and they're not like gross questions, but like if we figure out, if we if we figure out who it is and he gets arrested and he does like a tell all interview, Like I want to know, why them? Why this house? What do you know? What do you everybody's got their own, you know, their own stuff that they're into. I was gonna say, we don't kink shame, but yeah, we we do. If it's this stuff, this is just gross. There's no way to do there's no way to get into this realm of you know, letting your freak flag fly and it not being viewed as weird. Like again, we can one of the biggest lies in society is that we don't. We don't pass judgment. We do. And if you're into the poop stuff, yeah, I'm judging you. You're you're gross. Why you look uncomfortable? John, Oh, I'm not uncomfortable. I just you're not into the poop stuff, are you?
Speaker 4: I'm not into the poop good?
Speaker 2: I mean, I just want to know make sure. I mean, come on, it's I mean, you don't seem to be bothered by this guy, John. We need to get him arrested. What's the charge?
Speaker 3: I think we I think we assumed it was like trespassing or it was, but you gotta be you gotta be something that's doing with their property damage.
Speaker 2: In order to get in order to get trespassed, you have to be like given a warning that you can't be there, so like unless they've been there and told them you can't be here. Yeah, defecating in public? The charge? Uh says here? I mean can that be the actual.
Speaker 3: Like if it's an h A type of neighborhood though, is that consider public?
Speaker 4: I don't know that it would be. Maybe I'm wrong.
Speaker 2: Hopefully we never find out, because you and I are going to be in this situation where we're out here taking dumps on people's porches because we're upstanding citizens, we'd never do such a thing. But anyways, like if this story just goes away and like completely like dies off, and nobody figures out, I'm gonna be I mean, I'll probably move on and forget all about it. It's not gonna keep me up at night wondering who in fact the pooch of the porch pooper was. But you know, we need justice. We need to figure out who this was so they can be held accountable, they can go to jail, and then maybe they'll do an interview. I got first DIBs local media hacks around here, and I say that being one of them myself, I want it first.
Speaker 4: We're the capital.
Speaker 2: What if all of the news stations showed up here at our iHeart Studios in four Street Live because the porch Pooper decides to do a tell all with Nick Coffee of Coffee and Company on Sports Talk seven ninety time for a real vibe check what happened? Why did you poop on the porch? What led you to this? And there's a lot of questions that you know you're not going to get an answer that justifies it or makes it make sense. And I'm aware that this is one of those situations, right, but I still am dying to get something from the guy, like what what what? Why? Why would you do this?
Speaker 4: So I hope he's coherent and can actually speak and give some well.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing is when you watch the video, I mean again, I don't mean you watch him walk up there like he looks like he knows exactly what he's doing. You know, it's not like he's just roaming around naked and decides, hey, this is the place. No, he's he's targeting this porch to take a dump. And you know it's like apparently the same time every night, like he know, it's like he I mean, he's this isn't random. He probably knows what time to eat dinner to where he's got that. He's got it, He's got he's yeah, he's got it ready. It's a sick individual we're dealing with here. We need him off the streets. You hear that, Greenberg? Get on it all right, let's get to a quick break. We'll keep it rolling along. It is Coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. So we had a caller there during the last segment who claims to have actually done. What I always fear is that somebody just happens to tune in right as I say something that you know, I wouldn't want to be the first thing somebody hears when they take in the experience that is Coffee and Company. But you know, I'm sure it's happened many times before. But thank you for at least letting us know that you tuned in as soon as I said I got greedy with the butt stuff. And that wasn't even about the poop guy. That wasn't even about the porch covert. Yeah, buttletech and buck crack State. So anyways, let's try to get that. I mean, this is a professional show here. We are professionals here in this industry that is sports radio, and we're going to be a little bit more you know, a little more buttoned up, a little more polished here, and more professional because that's what we're supposed to do. We will have the Louisville Football pregame Show coming up at two point thirty on Saturday, hosted by Yours Truly again the Louisville football pregame show this year presented by Pellow Windows and Doors of Central Kentucky as well as Jefferson Animal Hospital. And then as soon as the game ends, we'll go live for the Louisville Football postgame show in it by Alex R. White Lawyers, Sue Distracted Driver dot Com. So I've got the double duty this year, and you know that it's Look, it's here, football seasons here. I'm excited. Louisville is off to a sixty two to nothing start over Austin, p And now we got to get Jacksonville stayed out of the way. Get those game cocks out of here. Two game cocks by the way traveling to Kentucky this weekend for games. That's true, and can't there can't be three game cocks, right like those have to be the only two mascots within the FBS that are game cocks, I would think, unless I'm blanking on one. So anyways, uh, get these two bums out of the way, and then we will, you know, have a bye week and then it's Georgia Tech. Which even if Georgia Tech somehow slips up this weekend or next weekend, they have Syracuse this weekend. But if they're not ranked, that will take a little bit of value away from that win. But I don't care. It's an ACC game, and right now the ACC looks like it's it's there for the taking. I mean that, as soon as I say that, I feel like, man, that's nick. You're getting ahead of yourself. But one of the reasons why Louisville was so successful last year winning ten games going to the ACC Championship game was because the league is not it's not loaded, and one of the reasons why I felt like Louisville could get back to ten wins this year again. I think Louisville is in great shape with Jeff Brom. I think he's going to be proven to be three or four years. I mean, he's already done it thus far, but it's still early in the portal era. But he'll be somebody that I think from now until the portal ever ends, meaning if they ever make a change, he's going to be looked at as somebody that does embrace it, utilizes it to his strengths, doesn't complain about it, just knows that this is the situation and I'm going to use it as my advantage. So I got think louis football is in a great position with Jeff brom But I also can look at Louisville and say, Okay, maybe they get ten wins again, maybe they find themselves in the a SEC champions Game. One of the factors in me saying that is because of the fact that they don't play like there's teams that you know you can that you can beat. And it's not crazy the days of having an annual matchup with Clemson being a game that you just man gonna be tough for like that, that's not the case anymore now. I think going and winning at Clemson is still gonna be very tough to do, including this year. But you're not looking at that game the way you did when you first got to the ACC. Same thing with Florida State. You don't play them anymore, at least not this year because there's no longer any divisions. But like, there's not a juggernaut in the league. Don't mean the league sucks. It's clearly not the best league. But Miami looks pretty damn good after one week. I'm still not a big believer in NC State. We'll see clearly. I think Lowel has got a chance to be pretty damn good this year. Florida State. You know, you don't play them, but you know they clearly. I mean, it's gonna be tough for Florida State to have a season that people view as anything other than a letdown. Even though they've only played two games, it's been a disastrous start for them. And with Clemson, I think they'll probably still end up. I don't know, I'm a little worried about it. Like Clemson, I've always felt like the downfall of Dabbo and Clemson has been has been. It's been dramatic by some, but maybe it hasn't right, Like, they're not terrible, but they were up there with Bama, and you know now they're far from that. But people act as if they're going five and seven, six and six. They I mean, they're still winning eight to ten games annually. But I do feel like this could be the year though, where like if they just start to look like a middle of the pack ACC team, I guess we can't really say we're surprised, right, It still would be such a fall from grace from where Dabbo and Clemson once were. But we all know why they're there, right, we all know exactly why. It's because he is refusing. I mean, that's like an NFL franchise just deciding they only heard By the way, I'm stealing this, I heard this yesterday on the Dan Patrick Show. That's like an NFL franchise saying they're only interested in playing guys they drafted. Like that's what it is. I mean, that's I mean, that is exactly what we're dealing with here. And yeah, the Portal's new NFL free agency has been around forever, but this is this is where it's headed. Man, And if you are choosing not to like, I don't know how Clemson could employ this guy if he doesn't make adjustments and start recruiting players from the Portal. And I've never seen anybody in sports that is this stubborn is Dabosweeney. So anyways, we'll see about Clemson maybe because if they end up just being a middle of the pack team this year, again, I guess that won't be a good look for the ACC. Teams like Louisville can take advantage of that, maybe beat them at their place, which again is something that still happens very rarely. But I keep going back to last year Kentucky should have beat Clemson in that bowl game. I don't know if you guys watched that or not. It was a wild ride if you bet on it, especially the over a lot of points scored, especially towards the end of that game, exciting finish, But Kentucky should have beat them. And Kentucky last year was they weren't great. In fact, they weren't really that good, be honest with you. They only thing they had on the resume we're speaking of is their win against Louisville at Louisville. So anyways, Dabo didn't go get better, right, He brought that same team back. He didn't make any additions in the portal, and he lost some guys in the portal. Now, to be fair to Clemson, the guys they lose in the portal more often than not are guys that don't play very much. But still, you tried the same team out this year as you did last year when you underwhelmed, and you expect it to be a lot better. It's one.
Speaker 4: There's one.
Speaker 2: There's something to be said about developing players and getting guys to stick around, and you know you don't get because that perception is certainly important, and if you're not, you know, making big moves in the portal, it's just not going to get a lot of attention. But there are like for example, Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State, like those big time programs, the portal is just going to be used to supplement areas where they feel like they're just not elite like they want to be. I still think the majority of the guys on rosters at those programs are gonna be dudes who's started there because you know, they're still getting paid a lot. Like anyways, I'm all over the place there with Clemson. I mean, you do have to play them, and I still just can't look at that game as hey, go beat them. I mean you can, I mean, they're beatable. But like it's just since Louis's been in the ACC, Clemson has been the superior program and it's not even close. And even when Louisville had good in fact, Louisville had some good teams that just you know, couldn't compete with them. I mean, when Lamar came back in twenty eighteen, that I mean, that was yeah, twenty seventeen, I should say that was I mean, that was not even a great Clemson and that was Kelly Bryant Clemson team, although it was kind of weird when Louisville wasn't expected to be great. Maybe this is when Clemson still had the you know, clemsoning thing that was out there before Dabo broke through and you know, got them to the elite tier of the sport. But like, who was their quarterback before to Sean? You can't think of who it was. But when Louisville first got to the league, if you remember, they went down there and played and should a one in a game that was a you know, I mean, it was a nail bier, but you know, I felt like that was one that Louisville literally just like gave away. And then of course the epic game that they played two years later with Deshaun and Lamar going up against each other. That's viewed as one of the best college football games ever as far as regular season. And then I think the year before that they played on a Thursday night and Louisville was in a similar situation, and you know, I think they started the season what like oh and three, maybe because they lost to they lost to who was it they lost to? Was that Lamar's first year. I think it was they lost it to Auburn, then they lost to Tom Herman who was at Houston, and then they played Clemson and lost to them, and they started oh and three. So I know some people say, look, I'll I can't even look at Clemson on the schedule and look at it as a potential win until Louisville actually beats them, because they've never beaten them ever. Like, I get why you say that, but let's also be well that this Clemson team now is not what you experienced when you had them on the schedule the first, you know, eight nine years of being in the ACC. You want to hear Dabo, Let's go to Dabbo Dabbo yesterday at his press conference, getting very defensive about what's being written and what's being said about his program, but letting you know that he doesn't listen to it, he doesn't take it personal. Yeah, this seems very normal. This sounds like somebody that doesn't listen, read, or even have any awareness that people are clowning him for being the most stubborn coach in the country and really his stubbornness letting the program that is Clemson fall.
Speaker 7: Y'all go write crap. Y'all go write terrible stuff. And when we do great, y'all go write great stuff. You know, that's okay. I mean, everybody's got a job to do. It's okay, that's okay. I don't take it personal. You know, I don't read it, listen to it.
Speaker 4: It doesn't, it doesn't. This doesn't affect me.
Speaker 7: I love my job, I love what I do.
Speaker 4: I love all of it.
Speaker 7: And y'all can't change that, now you can, right, None you can say can change that.
Speaker 4: I love what I do. I love these kids.
Speaker 7: I love my purpose in life, and my life is on a foundation that doesn't change.
Speaker 4: It just does it.
Speaker 8: He's crumbling, and you know, so hopefully that's something that our kids learn as they go through, you know, moments like this, that they can learn how to, you know, handle adversity, learn how to handle success, because you're going to have You're going to have.
Speaker 7: Both in life. And that's a great part of what football teaches.
Speaker 2: I mean, all that sounds nice and hokey, but I mean that's that's a guy who really is not is no longer acknowledging like that winning is the standard, and winning is like important. I mean, I would assume if asked the question, he would say, yes, he wants to win and be successful. But instead of acknowledging that he's decided to go in a different direction than every other program out there, you know, like he would probably remind you that he did win a bunch, but like, yeah, but that's it's a different world now, dude. The way you did it when you were winning national championships is not the way it's done now. And the evidence is playing out right in front of everybody to see. But instead of acknowledging that, he just wants you to know that he lives his life based off a foundation that can't change, and adversity and and and you know, success and failure, you're gonna have both. That it's about how I mean, like those are all things that you know. It sounds good, but that's I mean to me, that is that that's honestly, maybe the biggest tell that he's he's slipping, Like he knows what's being said about him. He can act like he doesn't listen to it. He knows, and he can't defend it. Like if you like, at a direct question, why do you choose not to use the portal. I mean at this point he probably wouldn't even answer the question. He would be offended by it and be bothered. But like, what is a good reason for not using the portal? I can't think of any And they have money, like they he has resources at his program, they can probably I'll pay just about not anybody, but a lot of programs. Now it's Clemson, is.
Speaker 3: He kind of in his own Dabo Swinny type of way, maybe even more so becoming John Caliperry in his stubbornness.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I heard somebody mention that over the weekend and I had never thought of it. But yeah, I mean as far as just like one being stubborn, and then a lot of coaches are stubborn. They are, but I think the ultimate competitors don't let their stubbornness get in the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nick Saban, I mean he was fine winning games nine to three in the early to mid two thousands during his you know, really when Bama was elite. I mean, how many times did Nick Saban put together the best team in the country and it wasn't even close and you you wouldn't know his quarterback if he walked in like they were doing it with really good upfront play, good running backs, and just a loaded defense. And he was fine, Well, then you gotta be able to score some points. The game has changed offense matters now in a way that it didn't used to. You have to, you know, if you can, if you can shut somebody out, that's great. But there's going to be some creative minds offensively in football that no matter how good your defense is, teams are gonna find a way to score. So you need to be able to score too, because again, that's how you win and lose games outscoring your opponent. So Nick Saban what did he do. He brought in Sarkesian. He brought in Lane Kiffin, who he hates, because he realized, I've got to make some changes here because we got to start scoring some points. He recruited Tua too, obviously had a hell of a career there, I mean, and since then Bryce Young Heisman Trophy winner. I mean, he adjusted because that's what the greats have to do. And cal Perry where I think Dabbo and Cala Perry are similar other than just being stubborn, it's that their stubbornness is more important than anything to them. Like Cal will use the portal. I'm not the portal, but Cal will still build freshman classes that are looking. You know, he'll still try to get as many of the top freshmen the entries he can. But he's also going to use the portal now. And he used the portal whenever he was at Kentucky, at least he tried to. But he's never wavered on wanting six five star freshmen rather than three twenty two year old studs that aren't NBA players. But man, you know what, they'll give you eighteen a night in college because that's that's what they can do. So I would with Cal. I'm glad you said that.
Speaker 4: John.
Speaker 2: With Cal, I feel like what it's going to come down to, like because he could, he can now like the things he was really stubborn about, like not playing small ball, playing two traditional fives together in the year twenty twenty four, you know, not putting his best players on the floor together, starting guys who he probably had some kind of an arrangement with, like Justin Edwards last year. I mean, Cal can now change that up at Arkansas and maybe play a little more modern style basketball, right, not play the traditional bigs, put his best player on the floor together, even if it includes a really small lineup, like he can do that at Arkansas and it not look as if he caved. It cannot It won't look like he he he didn't have to eat Crow. He's just you know, he's just now at a new place and this is how he's doing it. At Kentucky, I think he would have always And that's why that was just I mean that that was inevitable that thing had run its course because he still felt like he can do it and he didn't even want to do it any other way than his way. And that's what was most important him at Kentucky. And it may be the most thing like at Arkansas, like if Cal ends up, you know, being all right, but not where he was during that elite run in Lexington, is it going to surprise anybody, because again he's going to stick to what he wants to do. And he took the same staff with him down there outside of he lost his best assistant in Antiqua and brought in Kenny Payne. And you know he's got some good pieces, but like you know, his style of play, him wanting to do the stupid dribbled drive whenever, you know, spacing three point shooting. I mean, that's clearly the way the game is headed, but he wants to do it his way. That's what's most important to him. With Dabbo, I think doing it his way is what's most important to him, which is why he just won't entertain any thought of going and getting transfers. But is it I mean, it's it's probably a little bit of both. But I'm is it more just stubbornness or is it arrogance to think that you actually still can have the best football program in the country and win a national championship when everybody else is utilizing free agency in the portal and you choose not to. Again, Dan Patrick said it best. This is essentially like an NFL franchise deciding they only will play with guys they drafted. I quick break will come back on the other side, wrap up the four o'clock hour, It's coffee and company. Feel about Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 4: Who is this this is?
Speaker 2: I thought that's who it was. This is good stuff, it is, I feel like first of all, and they're known for sounding like, you know, like led Zeppelin and just older I mean like this actually isn't even their song.
Speaker 4: This is a cover.
Speaker 2: Oh of course yeah, But like they're like, I don't know they to me, they're like timeless, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's people who don't like the old school style coming back for whatever reason.
Speaker 2: But I what the hell's wrong with them?
Speaker 4: What exactly what the hell is this is?
Speaker 2: This is just good? It is turn it up. Clearly, this is not their song. It's a cover. But man, that voice and that sound is good stuff. Right up my alley. All right, we are almost at a time here in the four o'clock hour, still one more hour to go, though, so stick around as we take you up until six o'clock and we'll get back to the phone lines text line as well. If you want to give us a call five oh two five seven one seventy nine hundred. That is the number. And if you want to text in on the ellen In Federal Credit Union text line, you can at five O two six five three zero seven ninety members get more at L and N Federal Credit Union. You can learn more and open your account today at LNFCU dot com. Really quickly, have you seen all this direct TV ESPN issue, This I have.
Speaker 4: Ye, and this is Disney like their fault.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Disney owns ESPN. I think a lot of people know that, but there's been he said, she said, right, A lot of this is what happens, right whenever there is a network that no longer is allowing their programming to be carried by a specific provider like direct TV. If you remember last year it was Disney and Time Warner people who had Spectrum. People that Spectrum couldn't watch when the season started. So it's always pointing fingers and blaming the others. But the latest I guess, reasoning behind this has been debunked or shot down by executives within ESPN. So, according to Pro Football Talk, the fight between DirecTV and Disney is direct TV is accused Disney of being inflexible and its effort to force customers to pay for content they don't want. ESPN chairman Jimmy Petero has disputed the claim, saying, quote that's flat out false. That was an appearance. He said that on an appearance on CNBC. So I never can figure out who truly is to blame or not, but it is wild two billion dollar companies, you know, greedy people fighting over a few bucks, and it's led to their customers who do in fact pay for their services. You know, they're the ones who are sol at this point. So yeah, last year it was Disney and Charter Communications, but again that was I guess Charter Communications is the is the parent company. But you can have Time Warner, you can have Spectrums still our provider like locally if you want to get I think yeah, and at one point it used to be called Time Warners. Anyways, it sucks when this happens. But I will tell you this, man, I've only seen this being reported on in the media. What I mean by that is, I think about everybody I know that I that I you know, friends, family acquaintances, everybody's cut the cord man, Like who still has direct TV in twenty twenty four?
Speaker 3: Now Direct TV I believe they have like their own streaming service.
Speaker 2: They do ye don't have to do the satellite and I don't know if there can if they're competitive with the other streaming providers. But like I mean, I know that I pay for more than what I need when it comes to streaming stuff. And what I'm getting at is like I don't need paramount plus twelve months a year. But I pay for it, you know what I mean, And I probably shouldn't do that. And trust me, it's not like I'm braging about I can pay for it. And no. I mean, you guys know I work in radio, but I know everything I pay for to stream content is cheaper than what I paid when I had Direct TV. I mean, DirecTV just got too expensive. And I was somebody that thought to myself, and this was many years ago, I thought, well, I can never rely on the Internet to watch TV because I just need I what if it doesn't work? And all it took was me moving and I was gonna do one of two things I was I was going to I mean, I was gonna give one of these streaming services a try and see if it worked out, and if so, I was gonna stick with it. Or I was gonna give it a try, be underwhelmed, and then sign up as a new customer for Direct TV under a new address, a new account to maybe get some you know, new promotional pricing or whatnot. But I've been so happy with YouTube TV that I've never needed to do that. But I do love the I mean, you know, gil people are on Twitter like Marty Smith of ESPN talking about how I'll read the direct tweet here. The Smith's been DirecTV loyal for a long long time. This is way past what's rational. After the past two day, After the past two days, I'm officially done with direct TV. Like do you think that scares Direct TV? Like, I mean people claiming they're gonna call and let them know they're canceling. Okay, I mean like they're aware that this could cause cancelations, and they're probably still gonna be okay. But again, I think most people this day and age have cut the cord and realized they should have done it long ago. All right, quick break, we got another hour with you, so stick with us right here on Sports Talk seven to ninety