Speaker 1: Salisbury, Salisbury.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 3: Sewn Salisburysbury to USC troupe, longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 4: Dan matthewscuse, this is the Sewan Salisbury Show.
Speaker 5: Chris Gordian for Dan Matthews. Today, our guys Sewn in the saddle, Triple E down Hall and welcome in as we celebrate your American League leading Houston freaking Astros. Astros beat the Diamondbacks last night or yesterday afternoon rather four to three, sweeping their ass right out of Chase Field, and the Astros with the best record in the American League. Now Toronto did win last night, so they they caught you. You were for a couple hours, you were at half a game up on him. But regardless identical records, let me know if back in February, Shawn, during spring training that you had Toronto and the Astros tied for the American League lead on July twenty.
Speaker 2: Fourth, these three years ago count where you pick Toronto and they've finally nobody's picking them, and they're they're they're there. I guess we could say over achieving or probably doing what we kind of expect them to a few years because they've always had pitching, and we know and talk about a resurgence. George Springer's having himself a good year as well. Yeah, you know, what's really a trip about this, Gordy? And maybe I've mentioned you, I know I've talked about Dan. Excuse me, is if I would have told you they're eighteen games, I believe seventeen or eighteen might have been eighteen over five hundred. I think it's eighteen games right now and in first place, and obviously, you know, tied for the best record in Major League or in the American League. So I will ask you this. Jordan's start, d h Paenias at shortstop. They're all healthy, including Garcia and Javier. I mean this ros so other than a few guys that are banged up with you know, Wiznsky's out just a few of it, the majority are healthy. You know that sixteen dudes you talked about yesterday and I said, this is their record? What would you say, Spring Train if I told you this is what they were going to be one hundred games in?
Speaker 5: So it makes sense you're not almost to be having a career year. Uh, you know, all the pitching staff's rocking.
Speaker 2: And roll in. Now do this one. All these guys hurt. And I told you this at spring training, and this was going to be the lineup mixed in with a little triple A, maybe even a double A guy who's played Triple A who's coming. Just a mix and match. And here's who your pitching staff was going to be. Then what would you tell me? This was their record?
Speaker 5: They're in third place in aosh, well was this record?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, but forget that. I take it back. Yeah, right now do it. The third layer is I told you this is how it's gonna be. I don't know what their record is gonna be. Gordy, where do you think they're game?
Speaker 5: I'd have them third place in al Wes, probably behind the Rangers and the Mariners.
Speaker 2: I mean eight nine games out.
Speaker 5: Saying like God, I hope they could get on a heater or something.
Speaker 2: It's incredible, it really is. Is I mean just put out there yesterday.
Speaker 5: Yes, if you tell me Tramell leading off in, Victor Carrottini batting two hole. I said to us, if you told me that in February, I would have been like there, things went poorly wrong.
Speaker 2: Who's getting fired? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Joe Spotty was fired and somebody's an interim coach, like It's just true. It almost looked like show. When I saw that lineup card yesterday, I went, oh, they felt good about winning the.
Speaker 2: First win the series two or three and now we move on so with travel day, right? So so with that, I mean, isn't there something? And I know it's weird, and isn't there something? What is this? When I say heater? This run they've been on is what, say, a decade worth? Right? Is that about? Right?
Speaker 5: Thirty sixteen first year? Yeah they were, they made a wild card.
Speaker 2: So so a decade worth of run. I'm not saying seventeen wasn't sad, first World Series, all those things, but I'm talking about if you look at the overall picture and how they've done it, tell me how this isn't as satisfying or as impressive as anyone they've had because we knew it, you know, back in seventeen and in nineteen and twelve, they've they've you know, pitching staff and veterans and load loaded their lineup pretty damn good. You can't tell me that this isn't as impressive a season they've had in this decade run. Considering all the circumstances, there's no way that that we can't think that this is if it ain't first, it ain't third. Does that make sense? It's got the sounds in between the two. It's been a phenomenal. Now how it ends is obviously usually the way we judge the season, but to date, there's not a soul. I don't really care who it is, even the Astros themselves. If I would have told Dana Brown and Joe's Botty, here's what it's going to look like for you and heading into August and not tell them what I said I thought their record was going to be, they would look in and I said, here is going to be your record. They look at me like, so what is Altove hitting four twenty and Hunter Brown and from Er Valdez never lost a game in the first, you know, one hundred games of the season. I we'd be looking at a lot different. So regardless of the and think about the expectations, and I don't know if spoiled the right word, but through all this and what they're doing and pushing twenty games over five hundred, if you're a fan base, there's got to be you've got to be optimistic about just think what happens if they get healthy in August. I'm actually mesmerized by what they've done this year considering the circumstances. I am because I would this if everybody was healthy.
Speaker 5: And for those who didn't see it yesterday, well, first off, we got to give some love to a guy named Brandon Walter. Do you think a guy that the astro has claimed last August? So almost a year ago, no one even knew his name, Like, no fail, You know, I was shocked when I look back and I'm like, oh, that they claimed him last August, just stashed him and opened up this season.
Speaker 2: And didn't even know he was here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I was like, who's the redhead guy in the clubhouster inspirit training?
Speaker 3: But he.
Speaker 5: Starts the year in sugar Land and pitched well and pitched well and got his opportunity came up here on it was May twentieth, and pitched five shoutout innings against the race and basically outside a really one or two hiccup, Sean, he has been outstanding, you know.
Speaker 2: Who it reminds me of. But it came at an earlier time in the season. Did Walter is when JP France came in when they was necessary, you know, but he came in the season had already started. You were kind of using him in the bullpen. You started him, and he was doing both and fulfilled both roles pretty damn good. It's similar, but having Walter at the beginning to do what he's I mean, you know where you say, Okay, well I don't know this guy, but we'll see what he does because all these injuries have forced him into this situation. But he's also it almost looks you know, sometimes when you put a guy in you say, well, he's forced into it. He isn't ready. You become desperate and you start to try and do things as a player that you normally wouldn't do, and in your performance suffers. It's almost like he said, oh no, I don't have to do this. I get an opportunity to do it, and he seized it. Man, he's made the most of it and he's really been good. And look at the innings he logged yesterday, Gordy. Think about how even just I know, it sounds so simple going right.
Speaker 5: I mean, he'd give you seven seven naun ball and eighty two pitches. They could have thrown him out.
Speaker 2: There for the eighth Yes they could have, and said, oh we still got fifteen to eighteen pitches to give and get him out eight innings. Now that is what you need to find a way to keep a bullpen fresh. And he is relished in this and has succeeded and thrived in it, and it's been impressive.
Speaker 5: Man By twenty sixth round draft pick by the Red Sox twenty nineteen, came up through their system, had a cup of coffee with him. In twenty twenty three he made appeared nine games for them. Last year, wasn't even in the bigs, right, and the dream was over.
Speaker 2: Yes, And when you the journeyman is what he is and he stops there because he's done one hell of a job here he.
Speaker 3: You have to.
Speaker 2: And I said this going into the season. I told Dan this, and I believe this happens especially on teams. This is even before you knew all these injuries. I said, in order for them to elevate, because you thought about the losses of Bregman and Tucker somebody, I said, two guys that were not expecting are going to have to have career years. And you look up and all of a sudden, you know, Ratis who's a good player, but head home run, pop paying your career year, and these did Jake Myers career year, and they then that's what they're having. And you need that when you when guys right, somebody, a guy you don't expect makes the All Star Team, or you know, a middle infielder all of a sudden on some team like man he was supposed to back up Ozzy Albi's and all of a sudden, next thing you know, he's in the All Star Game. A guy and they needed that. Well, Jake Myers' career year, Jeremy Payne, your career year, hell Cam Smith, he'll have many more better than this. But a rookie is to coming out of the box, and at times this year is hit lead off and hitting the two hole. So it's just somebody else. And Walter on the pitching man on the mound has been one of those guys. And here they are, so you know, you can the brilliance of the way that they scout talent and the way they evaluate it, but also the way they developed it. But also when you put him up there, they still got a job to do, and there's countless guys on the roster. Look a look at who contributed again yesterday. Look look at the names that contributed yesterday.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean you had that. That ninth inning was the craziest Sean. I mean they Bennett Sussa blows it in the eighth. I mean that kind of sucked. But you're tied. You get the double play to end it. You're Todd was.
Speaker 2: Nighte with the basis pack too, Gordon, Yeah.
Speaker 5: You go to the ninth Zach Short bunts himself on for a basit. We go, okay, all right, I'll take it. Taylor Tremmell follows with a butt for a back.
Speaker 2: Dude. Two. But now, for all the people out there, the one bunch, you got two in one game, which is about more than you're going to get the next thirty for bass hits, for basse hits.
Speaker 5: Look, I've yelled for bunts in the past, but I mean that's that was just insane. And then Christian Walker, who had hit him a hell of a series. I joked yesterday, put the VR, the virtual reality headset on him and let him envision he's either a Dodger Stadium or Chase Field, because that dude can hit.
Speaker 2: Look and he's starting to come alive, man, and it's it's needed, right, so he he comes up clutch Walter, he just named back to back. I don't know how many times will you see that this year? Basse hit bunts in the same inning late.
Speaker 5: In the game, Christian Walker RBI single boom, Yeah, four to three lead, Josh Hater and the ninth.
Speaker 2: Matter of fact, I'm willing to take the bet now and I haven't looked at the metrics of it well that no team this year has had back to back bunts for singles. Now, a swinging bunt, maybe an infield hit. I'm talking about, Well, you lay down a bunt and you back to back hits in the same inning in the same game. You won't see that back to back where guys are getting a bunt in the days of Rod Crew and each Row and those guys laying one down and beating it out or a great we just don't have those anymore. Yeah, once in a while, I'm going to say that that's the first time it's happened this year and on any team.
Speaker 5: And it was a day where al Tuove was off, had they pinched hit al Twove, he probably could have been the third to do it, that's right. But it's just wild shown because it's a day that they they had a lineup with no House Altuve, no your On Alvarez, no East Soak Parades, and no Germany Pina and they had eleven hits and one and a fifty. Taylor said, they took fifteen at bats with runners in scoring position. You can't ask for more than that.
Speaker 2: That's exactly which we and and to be able to get runs. And it's not just runs, it's the runs at the right hits like Christian Walker at the key moments that are good. You know, the solo home run when you're down eight to nothing is a hard one. It's the it's the hits like this that come at the time when you need them, where it's not just an empty single or an empty home run when the game's over. And what do you know, in the same day, you also get seven innings from a guy not named Hunter Brown or from ber Valdez. It was it's impressive.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Like I said you, we can complain all we want about man and this injury and what's going on with this guy, and we keep hearing that his day to day, and yet this team's eighteen games over five hundred and the best record, tied for the best record in the American League. There's not a solo live who expected this. They're just it isn't. I don't care how much confidence you have in your team. There's no way you saw this coming. And maybe just maybe all that stuff of when you get here, there's something in the water or whatever it is, and it's it's held true. I've seen it hold true for a damn decade here. The rapper may change, but the performance by the player seems to get it done on a regular basis. So and they're alive, and well.
Speaker 5: The tough part becomes, and we'll kick this around while we return. Who leaves when some of the other guys get back, who's heading out.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a good problem to have. It is a problem because it's gonna happen.
Speaker 5: We'll talk about that next Sean Salisbury show. We're on along here on a Thursday morning.
Speaker 1: Let's go, this is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 5: We'll get into some observations. I got out there for a little bit, give you some takes what I saw a little bit later in the show. But Sean doing the postgame show yesterday, we were getting a lot of calls from folks saying, look, I'm loving it, Sastro's four game win streak, rocking and rolling. But if if I could be a little bit of a pest, if it could be a pest, our callers were saying, what are you do when some of these other guys get back? Who goes down? I mean, Brandon Walter's pitching great right now, Colton Gordon's doing his thing, you know, Christian Hoveer comes back? Who slides out?
Speaker 2: So you're telling me that while in the middle of complaining that we run a triple A roster out there, now that triple A roster people are worried about them. Yeah, you're good, exactly Wait a minute now, So now the problem isn't all the guys are hurt. The problem is where we find in space for all the guys that are performing while the guys are hurt. And are the guys that are hurt gonna get their gigs back when they come back automatically?
Speaker 5: Yeah, And look, it's pretty obvious when you look at the forty man roster and you see who the active guys are. I mean, we were getting it just I think people just want to bitch shown because we had somebody tweeting yesterday going, what bring John Singleton? Oh, but if they're not gonna play him, John Singleton is perfectly fine sitting his ass on the bench. I'm sorry, like we're playing needed we'n't care.
Speaker 2: And well that's like saying on any roster, why he got twenty six guys, Well we play nine and on the day the guy and he's arrested, then he'll play, or if we need him in there, just like the the the and having that bench where you have the trust and there's gonna be guys sent down Gordy that quite frankly or moved in a in a move at the trade deadline that you're gonna say, oh damn, but he went down, man, he was playing good baseball. But what it also does is it gives the Joe Aspada in the front office that if it rears its head again, that you trust that you can bring the guy back without a problem, because you know he can play, and it's a good problem to have. But you also got to you know, you got to understand geography and be a real estate agent and a psychologist and all those things when this happens, because well, they've seen the movie before. This used to be one of those organizations. It was one of the toughest organizations to break in from the minor leagues, because it's just like every year you roll him out, how you gonna breaking the centerfield springers there, and it's shortstopping Karreya in at second base, and then when they go all of a sudden, you find out, well, Jake Myers is pretty good, and oh that's right, that pain you got, he ain't bad. And at third base Parade is doing to go well. Right field, well, okay, you can't replace him. Well, Campsmith's pretty good. So it gives you while they may go down, it doesn't mean wow, they're down. Nobody believes in him. It means we don't have room for him. But now we trust them that if we have to bring him back at the snap of a hand and drive him up or down fifty nine to sixty nine from Sugarland, we got him and they can trust him. And building that trust is huge. And I'll tell you what, if we're complaining about that, now, I'll take that complaint all day. Buddy, words like hey man, what are you gonna do. Now this guy's raking, well, we just don't have room for him. But now that we know that, at the drop of a hat he's got to move, we can call on him to go do his thing when he gets here. So nice to have a great sugar Land and right down, no doubt.
Speaker 5: It's I remember that year take long to get here, the year they were partnered with the Fresno Grizzlies. I mean, now is ridiculous. They had flights going back and forth. I guy on a plane in California and a guy on the on the plane back here.
Speaker 2: Makes a d The day you're supposed to come here, you're really not here till the next day here you're hearing what thirty minutes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you could get a place I don't know, right right about fifty nine and six ten, and you're right there in the middle. It's the same distance step you'reger Land, the same distance.
Speaker 2: Over to daykill exactly right. So but impressive, impressive, and it seems to be like yesterday. You know, you're getting two guys once again, Gordy and you and I both watched it. But for the people didn't who were they? Give me the bunch singles again. They ain't give me the names. I know, I know when they happened. The names again, it was Zach Short and Taylor Tremmel. Okay, Bunnett, the named Christian Walker, who struggled a lot of the year and is on fire playing pretty good baseball, now gets a hit to drive him in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think Caroten he popped out because I looked away for one second. I turn around and I said to Ross and said, who the hell's the out? He goes, Oh, Carotina popped out or whatever, and then Christian Walker comes through. Christian Walker had multiple hits every game.
Speaker 2: Of this year, that's right, and hit it hard. Okay, And then so with that, and then who gave me seven innings again? Walter? There you go? And who got out of a bass loaded jam?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 5: Well, Bennett's sussa created the problem. It's another thing too.
Speaker 2: Week created if we got the double play to end it.
Speaker 5: Wait a call a bitch about this too, How baseball you get the win because you messed up? You created the situation. Now you you went in with a lead. He went in with a three to one lead, came into the game, and he left the mound and we were tied three to three and you went.
Speaker 2: Up four to three and he gets to yeah, and sometimes you think, well, man, it's a nice tim and I got the dub. Now, if nobody looked at how he got the dub, you're saying, that's huge but still is but found a way to get out of it, right, which is something you have to do. Yeah, And so just you just the names I'm talking about, think about that, there's four names right there. At the beginning of the season you weren't counting on. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, and it was a day. It was a day where Bryce Matthews was over at the plate but still drove in a on and flash the leather. He helped turn the double play. He's been just he's been so good with that. Defensively and everything. He just looks like he belongs.
Speaker 2: The transformation from shortstop to second base doesn't seem kind of like Smith going from some to the third base or some other outfielder position to right field. It almost feels like, oh, this is just natural. Yeah, that's the second baseman. That's a right fielder for guys that Oh, man, I don't know. We'll see how he does. Defensively. I think you're in pretty good shape. He'll pick that up quickly and has and another guy that's contributed. And you could tell from Dana Brown's conversation yesterday Gordy when I had him. I don't know if you got to listen to it all with your schedule yesterday, but you can tell they weren't ready. They knew he was ready, but they weren't. The timing that they weren't ready to bring Brice S. Matthews up. Does that make sense to you? It wasn't. I mean, well he's he they would They wanted the comfort level. And Dana kind of hinted to it the basically and I paraphrase on my verbiage, but that it's happening. Just we're good, we don't need he comes up and well does this thing? What are you gonna do?
Speaker 5: But think when you put something in the microwave, it's is put in for two minutes and then a minute thirty you pop it out.
Speaker 2: It's good to go. The hot dog. The hot dog's ready exactly so, and you're like, okay, so does it still taste good? And comes in and delivers. But I don't think they expected or wanted to be in this situation. But that's been the theme of the season. Well, we didn't expect this. We didn't expect Lancema Cars. We didn't expect this. We didn't expect that. And yet eighteen games over five hundred and tied for the best record in the American League. And that includes who the Detroit Tigers. Yeah so and the freaking Yankees. That's the thing with the Blue they hand them another loss. Yankees are what four games back of the of the ALE lead, So it's there. I mean again, look on paper, what that yank the Yankees brought into the season. Most people pin them as the ALE favorites.
Speaker 5: Right, Tigers are ahead of schedule there, aj Hinch doing aj Hinch things up there, and and they're rocking it one. But never never would have thought astros in Blue Jays for the best record in America.
Speaker 2: And we know the Yankees are going to do something, try to do something. And they got a guy Aaron Judge Homeward won I think twice again last night. Dude, he's battling for a triple crown. Yeah, I mean his average.
Speaker 5: I mean, look, you can't how can you not as success of a postseason but regular season monster one of the best we've seen.
Speaker 2: Well, one of the best of all time when you look at the just the sheer numbers he in the time he's been he's been one of the best of all time in the regular sites. And now you're adding batting average to it.
Speaker 5: He's taking VP out there nights.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I think he's really you know what, he seems just like a really good dude to me, I really do. I think he's a I don't put it this way. I don't ever hear himself promoting. He just is a good teammate. Thirty seven home runs already, and the guy is in triple crown because it last time, who was the last guy to triple crown?
Speaker 6: Was it?
Speaker 2: Was it a Migey probably won the triple crown one year. I don't think we've seen it since. I know guys flirted with it, but it's pretty amazing seeing what he's doing.
Speaker 5: As much as we hate the Yankees, I'll give them credit. Like they're who's the last Yankee you got in trouble? You know, got busted for drug use, a dw I or whatever, like it's.
Speaker 2: The really you may just Yankees, but you don't really dislike the player. There's not what's not I mean, there's there's It's like when Jeter played you people, just Jeter never bothered me. The old guy that bothered me is we got base against the Red Sox on a regular base. I hated it, right, But if you just said, hey, Jeter wants to be a Red Sox, I'd have said, right side, yeah. Just like if you told me, hey, Aaron Gentus ra Angent wants to play in Houston, I'd say, how quickly can we get him? Regardless of what happened with the MVP at him and al Tuove and he that that dude two more home runs. It's just pretty amazing to watch. But you know they're gonna I can tell you the Dodgers are going to go all in too. You know that they're going to spend again at the trade deadline to see if they can pull something off to jump ahead with the Dodgers in their position. But the Yankees to see if they can live up to it, because in truth, with all that they've had since what too has it been since two thousand the last time they won a World Series? The Yankees fifteen ohne nine it was nine, right, they've been a couple. That's exactly right, and that was George Steinbrenner last year. Well he passed away in twenty ten, so think about that. They haven't won a World Series since George Steinberger passed away. That's a long time Gordy for them. So, you know, every year, so we look at them as underachievers because we always seem they're always favored either win or make the playoffs, win a division, make the playoffs, or beat in the World Series. And remember we're just well we're not even a year removed from the Dodgers beating them in the World Series.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well look, and that's okay. Yeah, you hate to see it for him. Yeah, what a bummer for them, all the money wasted and free agency and everything. It's a damn shame, all right. When we return, some names being flooded out there for the Astros in the trade deadline, we'll tell you who the latest names are and do they need to make a trade. We'll kick that around coming up next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's also men's tea clinic. So if you're kicking things around or kicking rocks because your energy's down, you're testosterone levels, you're not sure about your sex life isn't very good and you and Mama just aren't feeling it at home. But this isn't just about sexual wellness. It's a big part of it. But low testosterone affects a lot of things. Brain, fog, energy, irritable you weakend warriors out there. You probably lose a little that, and a lot of times we're scrambling around figuring why am I feeling like this? Do I got the flu? Do I got the VID? What do I got? Now? It may be just simple as low testosterone, go in, draw a little blood. By the end of the day, you're gonna get the results, and then you can get to work on normalizing your testosterone so you get it back. It's wellness optimization, two words you're gonna need. You should. If you're not doing it, then you're doing yourself with the service. We invest in so many things in our life, some of them frivolous, some of them important. Is your health pretty important? Is your attitude important? Is your peace of mind? Is your sexual wellness, your full body wellness? Your wellness optimization? Are you investing in that? If you're not, it's time and it's Men's Tea Clinic. It's Men's Teaclinic dot com. Get out of lower gear, get out of it quicksand you'll love life a lot more. And don't you deserve it. If you're stuck in lower gear, there's a way to fix it. And if it's low testosterone, you get to normalize in it and get life the way it should be energized and wellness optimized. Wellness optimization with the great team, five convenient locations. It's Men's Teaclinic dot com, Men's Tea Clinic dot com. The Sean Salisbury Show continued, Yeah, I are you more of a McCartney guy by himself and with the Wings or Beatles McCartney If I said you can have the Beatles at their best or McCartney at his best by himself, which you're going to be right in Wembley Stadium in London.
Speaker 5: That's exactly See he's going on tour, Yeah he is. This might be your last one to get a chance, because how old is Paul McCarty.
Speaker 2: Got to be in his eighties now upper seventies, early eighties, got to be in his mid upper seventies.
Speaker 5: It has to be eighty three.
Speaker 2: There you go. Yeah, I wouldn't imagine there's many more one hundred and fifty day tours for Paul McCartney in the future. Not saying I mean he may live till he' one hundred and ten. I don't know, but at some point in time you probably say, you know what, traveling across the country and a bus and a plane and I'm ninety seven, I probably need to pass.
Speaker 5: When you get that age, you notice they add more and more backup singers on the stagel.
Speaker 2: Paul McCarty, the Beatles and seventy four other people in the in the chorus harmonizing with him. But yeah, the Beatles. I guess it's like a you know how somebody gets so much hype. No matter, well, we look at arch Manning. I'm not comparing to arch Betting to the Beatles. Still this understanding, but I could compare the Mania, I could compare Peyton to the to the beat it was pretty good at his career, right and the way people love him. But you think about this, no matter how good arch Manning is, can he ever live up to the hype Gordian College. You know what I'm saying, I mean that's big. I mean, you'd have to win a national championship in a Heisman Trophy this year. To live up to the Manning hype is what I.
Speaker 5: Was saying, keep saying, don't let them lose the week Losing Week one at Ohio State, no shame in that they're the rating actual champs and that's a tough place to play, right, But if they lose that game, the headline will be all all fluff and no sense. Up to the hype. Sarks in over his head, it's going to be ridiculous.
Speaker 2: And he goes those for four hundred and they win. Uh, the next great man, Oh yeah, well he'll walk on Heisman first pick of the draft. The best thing we've ever seen, there's no doubt so, and I'm not compared to it. But in a way, no matter what, after all this hype, I mean, there's no way you could ever live up to the way the Beatles are talked about. So even with all of it, and you're right, the the uh they're one, there's not You're not usually a tweener on the Beatles. It's like some people don't like them because all the hype, say, what's the big deal? They're walking you know, but they're the Beatles and at the time they had listen when Howard Cosell's announcing the death of the lead of the front man for the Beatles. When that happened on Monday Night Football, normally it's like, oh, you know, they'd come, they wait till the next day and stuff. But it's in the middle of a live broadcast. He's breaking in as if the President of the United States, Yes at that time. So you know, the younger generation may not know unless that you think they could. They would break in and on Monday Night football if they passed away, that's alive right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, like a current artist.
Speaker 2: That's a hell of a question, it is, And I'm trying to think of you know, I think back then, it's like.
Speaker 5: If got no car crash and died, would they break into Monday Football with the news?
Speaker 2: No, they'd break into Sports Center after Monday Night Football. That would they would come and say? You know news? They would because pretty significant, right.
Speaker 5: Pop culture enough, that's the e in ESPN, the entertainment right.
Speaker 2: Oh you social media blow up with it immediately during the game, right, well, look look at we'll look at the guy we just lost. Had this happened during Monday Night Football, Ozzy Osbourne and Less of Court. Now Joe Buck, who I know loves music. If and Troy are doing it, Joe might have said, you know, we just got bad news, you know, in a break in the game. His producer might have gotten his ear director and say, hey, man, if you want to Ozzy Osborne has passed away. Now, also, how they pass Remember it was tragic for how Lennon's So how did it just.
Speaker 5: Been somebody's assassinated?
Speaker 2: Right right? If all of a sudden they're saying, hey, by the way, uh, you know, I don't know Carrie Underwood, Carry Underwood got shot in the you know, we don't want to somebody that you're like Drake George straight. Yeah, yeah, you might consider, like, oh my gosh, I think you would. But if he's in the hospital, you'd probably wait till after the game or something, or people on social media would. But that, you know what, I'm not real sure. That's a great question. Yes, I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't know if they're breaking in with that.
Speaker 2: No, but they did because at the time, the Beatles wore the icon. There's a lot of great artists. But we're at a point now, so thing news breaks before news breaks right, I would think Gordion. I'm trying to think who is the most popular who's the most popular global singer right now? Just say singer.
Speaker 5: Yeah it's tail Swift.
Speaker 2: Okay, perfect, there you go. Because of the day. Now there's an older generation making now no thanks, But if you have kids or grandkids, you're like, yeah, she's become popular again. So yes her if she was assassinated, well, you'd have to assassinate her in the ballpark because seventeen games of the Chiefs are on Monday night football and she's there in the press box. Somebody would have to shoot her like out of a movie at the press box because she's there. But if she got assassinated, like like like uh, they'd stop. Yes, that would be announced and people, yes, they would be It would be filled with tears. You know, people would go just I know when the next day, I mean when you go back and listen to people, because I was obviously young, but your family and you listen the way people talked about that, it's like it was it was as if the president of the United States was assassinated. Right, And I'm not I don't mean that they're equal, but in some people's eyes, they were matters. That's exactly. Yes, that's the perfect point. If that happened to Taylor Shift. I do believe Joe Buck and Troy Aikman would would absolutely cut into the game do it. But it's it's how that would happen if somebody was ill. They're praying form they think they may come up, but usually it's that Jim Nance dedication the year, you know, the week after or when it comes on the broadcast, they stop down our source. No, Jim will be the broadcaster that announces, like when they lose one of their production people. Right, No, Jim's not ready to go yet either. He lives, dude, He's loved to tell you two hundred he lives at Pebble Beach. The Good Lord's gonna say, you're gonna enjoy this view every day of your life. So but yeah, so so that's a make.
Speaker 5: You know, you think of her catalog on the just all the hits she's had, all the great hits, and our prayers go out to Travis Kelsey. Yes, that's right, but don't worry, folks, we're just talking. She's not gonna get shot in the booth. That again, Baltimore, How do you transition back to the game and.
Speaker 2: Howard Cosell and I remember you like, what in the world and you go back and listen to it, and Howard Cosell's voice it was, you know, it was broken up. It's obvious that Howard Cosell obviously loved himself. Some Beatles too, right, So I don't know. Trey Taylor Sweet, You're probably right.
Speaker 5: Randy just shouted, he said, what about Mick Jagger. Maybe Mick Jagger big enough if he passes during.
Speaker 2: A maybe maybe maybe Rolling Stones do I mean you're talking about iconic and I mean that, yeah, probably, But it also depends on how it happened if it was. If it was it was a long illness and then he passed away sometime during halftime or something. Yes, I do believe they'd come back in and say our heart felt to Rolling Stones front man, I do. He's eighty one, right, But if somebody was, if he was assassinated, like one of those where it was like an intentional thing. Oh, I don't think there's any doubt that they'd break in. But of all all of them, if Taylor Swift stubbed her toe, they announce it on Monday Night football, so yes, but I'll never forget the word people talk about.
Speaker 5: From break h Taylor Swift stubbed your toe.
Speaker 2: Well, Lance mccullors blister on her finger. If that happened to Taylor Swift, people would like, oh my gosh, what's the world coming to the apocalypse? And the zombies are walking through Arrowhead Stadium. So yeah, but the Beatles been, I guess it's hard to live up to all the pub probably the most publicized band in the history of music, right, I would say we went.
Speaker 5: To Liverpool a couple of years ago we did the Beatles tour. I mean, you have the pre order tickets. You can't even to do the.
Speaker 2: Beatles yet the people who don't like them absolutely do not like them, right, So that but that's but that's what any this like Taylor Swift. There's not a lot of middle sitters in Taylor Swift. It's either the young crowd or the older crowd that loves them to have kids, or the crowds. It's like, I'm not interested. This is bubblegum music and I'm not interested. And Taylor Jacket, well look at the T shirt. He says, I love I'm a Swift and tell you so. But but you know, damn what, he goes to the beat, but he can helmet for us. Yes, and right now, Taylor Swift just made another million dollars, So as we spill, that's exactly right, all right.
Speaker 5: When we returned, we will get back to what we promised. Astro's trade deadline names be him thrown out there.
Speaker 2: We'll discuss that coming on next.
Speaker 4: The Shawn Salisbury Show continues on seven ninety and continues in your home, Say Alexa play Sports Talk seven ninety on iHeartRadio.
Speaker 5: At one point they put up a graphic and it was like all time wins and it's Verlander, And I said to Matt Thomas said, that hasn't changed since he left the Astros.
Speaker 2: Right, it's the same number. First win there, I think, and Devor's homeward twice. Yeah, and they they got the win and Verlander got it. He's pushing two seventy now is then he was in there's the above two seventy? Is he sixty eight or two?
Speaker 5: It was like, he's yeah, somewhere in there, but he washing eight this season as a San Francisco Giant, So he gets his first win. He's not one in eight, eary, four, seventy. It's not not terrible.
Speaker 2: And for a team that's battling for a playoff spot, Yeah, which is odd.
Speaker 5: Do you think he's going to get to three hundred, Gordy, I don't know, man. He's forty three and that's.
Speaker 2: A lot of wins still to go. Okay, so he's in his two So he would have to average ten wins a year for the next three years. Yeah, that's to get it. That's good. It's going to be tough sledding.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: He could now as a Hall of Famer, we know that. But to get to that that elusive three And I'm telling you right now, Gordy, there nobody right now since you've been alive that started pitching, since you came out of the womb, and right now the rest of your life, no matter if they started five years ago. Okay, who do you who's the best young pitcher in baseball? He may be the best pitching. It's Paul Skins, right Yeah, look at his record right now, considering no run support, he's not getting to three hundred wins. I want you to think he'd what's that fifteen wins? Uh? Fifteen wins? What twenty years. So what's twenty times fifteen, Gordy? Do the math? Isn't that twenty forty? That's three hundred, right? I the twenty forty sixty eight hundred, that's three hundred twenty wins fifteen years, you guy, or fifteen wins for twenty years. But twenty times fifteen if I now mistake is three hundred. If I lost my mind, you're correct. Okay, I was pretty good.
Speaker 5: With that calculator on my fight.
Speaker 2: I want that to be in millions for the money we're earning. Right, So three hundred wins as good as he is, and it also has you're a product of the team you're on. He ain't winning three hundred games in Pittsburgh if they're gonna score like that for him. So you think about it. We're never having you know, C. C. Sabathia got closed. We're never having a three hundred game win. Now, never say never in sports, but think about what you have to do. We don't get two guys winning twenty games in a season anymore. But we would name Randy Johnson had three hundred and three wins. He's twenty second on the all time win forest. Right, So like I think you're right.
Speaker 5: I don't think we're gonna have another guy in our lifetime that gets to three hundred.
Speaker 2: And Gordy with the way we specialize. Now, we don't let guys you know, four and two thirds five, We don't let him extend and like, okay, it's tied, you've got you. You qualify for the win because you've got your five innings in. But the problem is that you're it's seven ninety pitches and while you could go another inning, we're specialized. We've got to get our sixth inning guy in there, and then you end up losing, so they don't let you fight back and come back and get a win. You know, Oh, we're tied in the fifth, but it's got ninety two pitches, so we're gonna go to our bullpen, and so somebody else is gonna get the woe what you mentioned last night when you set up the win and and a bullpen guy gets the looks like he's going to get the loss and turns around and gets the win because you score in the next inning. So we just does a specialization. It's not happening. Twenty wins for fifteen years, how many how many times in the last eight years is Justin Verlander won twenty games in a saya look that up. Yeah, and you're what are you gonna find one? Maybe if we're lucky is sixteen, seventeen, nineteen eight. We don't have five guys that are winning twenty games. The Baltimore Oroyls in the seventies had four guys on the same staff in the same year win twenty plus games.
Speaker 5: JV only had two seasons where he won twenty plus games in his career, twenty four in twenty eleven and twenty one in nineteen Here with the asters.
Speaker 2: Okay, and look at him. He's still struggling to get and he's in his forties. To get to three hundred, it's never happening. Man. The new barometer is two two hundred and ten wins or whatever.
Speaker 5: It's crazy to look. I mean like Maddox and Clements are top top ten. Maddis had three fifty five, Clemens at three fifty four.
Speaker 2: Now, now look how many years they pitched. Yeah at a time. Also, when you told them in the fifth inning they're coming out, guess what they do. Yeah, Well, Maddox would say, go back to the dug out I'm gonna get it as a tipper. Jones tells the story, I'm gonna get this guy. I'm gonna throw him a two oh cutter and he's gonna file. He's gonna hit it to Chipper on a pop fly and what's hits it to Chip? Jones tells the story, It's like, you gotta be can Bobby Cox and and uh Leo Mazzonia and the Doug. I said, you're you're kidding me that Maddox still and if you do that, Clemens would have thrown a fastball at you. Why you came out to get him out, just like Randy Johnson would have. So it's changed, but it's not happening. So Verlander all that time, you're like, we're one hundred games in and he finally got his win. He ain't getting three hundred unless he goes on a heater for three years, and that's hard to do in your early forties.
Speaker 5: Tom Glavin, he's twenty first of three oh five, and like I said, Reddy Johnson, twenty second three oh three, I just don't I don't think we'll ever have guys get that man get that many wins.
Speaker 2: Great, it's really tough because of the specialization. So what were you teasing real quick so we can get ready? What would we talk about about the Ashleys you were talking about?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Teas's three segments, Astro's trade deadline names.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, got you got you some of the ones we've talked about. But is there a few more thrown into the fray?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Justin Verlin? You wanna put him on list?
Speaker 2: No, No, Paul though he bodies. They're pitching pretty good.
Speaker 5: Brice mat Ladder or.
Speaker 2: Walter, I'll out stick you have Verlader stay there right, Yeah.
Speaker 5: Bryce Matthew's gonna help you get some wins. Shay Whitcomb gonna help you get some more wins.
Speaker 2: JV may help you get some players. I'm not sure about more wins from some other picture, but gonna be interesting. They're gonna do something. The question Dan Brown told me yesterday, real quick, Gordy that it was. I said, are you in the rental business? He said, if we have to be, Yeah, if it if it's there, you go. Oh, we are not closing any door, Yeah, which means yes, we're taking all calls, but I'm not going to give you any extra inside. But yeah, at least if it's considered, because you know, renolds sometimes become a problem. But you know what, if it's going to help you win a World Series, I guess then you make that move as long as you don't have to mortgage your youth and your franchise. All right.
Speaker 5: We will get into that.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: Names to watch for the Astros so the deadline looming. Will discuss that next hour too at the Seawan Salisbury Show. Come here win next.
Speaker 4: KBMS Houston ADHD two Houston an iHeart radio station, the Astross the Rockets, Rockets past before your home for your home teams. This is Sports Talk seven ninety from the Parsons that match next Studios, Saulsbury.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 1: Sean Salisbury.
Speaker 3: To USC troups, longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 4: Dan Matthewscus. This is the Seawan Salisbury Show.
Speaker 5: Chris Gordion for Dan, Sean and Tripoli here and talking a lot about our Houston Astros are American League leading Houston Astros. After they sweep the Diamondbacks and now they come home for a seven game set at home at dyke In Park with the A's and the Nats coming to town. Two Struggling teams out there, so we will we'll get into some more Astros conversation throughout the show. Also, Texans hit the practice field yesterday. I got out there for a little while watching observing some practice. I'll give you some takeaways what I saw out there. But we're teasday before the break, Shawn. The trade deadline is looming and there are a lot of pieces out there, a lot of rumblings on who should add what and all that sort of stuff, and a lot of people wondering should the Astros make a move? This is July thirty first, So what is that is that a week from today, week from today at five pm Central will be the trade deadline.
Speaker 2: So and by the way, Gordon, I mean interrupt, just to put a closure on at Verlander thing. Do you realize not just eighth to eight this year, that's sixteen game losing streak he was on. I met he was on a sixteen game losing skid before he got the win. I digress. But yes, some of those names that are gonna come up, it's what we say. You said, five o'clock Central next Thursday, a week from today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well real quick, cy young, do you know how many wins he had.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I felt like I was gonna say over four hundred, So it was over five five hundred eleven. Guess what record's safe that will never be broken in the guy like, yeah, what he back to nine innings at double headers and all that stuff. Craziness, But that's a rubber arm br and the cal Ripken consecutive starts, that's definite. In these days of rest and everything, there's no there's not going to be anybody that gets within half of that from here on forward. You just won't allow we need a day of rest. Well, the guy's hitting four seventy seventy five games in and he's twenty four. Do you really want it? Does he really need a day off? Yeah, we got to get him a day's rest. Well, that ends that streak. I mean, can you imagine how many times they came to Ripkin like, dude, uh, you want to take a day off? Don't even talk. At the point, I'm sure the manager's like, you know what, don't even address.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it starts getting so the numbers, Street's getting so big. You're like, hell, no, I'm not missiving.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be the guy a bench and you also don't want to be the band I'm the one who's screwed up the street. No, when they got to the one when Cal decides he needs a day off, it'll probably be the last day of his career, which I love about him.
Speaker 5: I remember Drew Brees was on the way to breaking the consecutive start streak, and then I think it was that that Super Bowl year they ended up. You know, they already wrapped up the division, seating was done all that, and their last regular season game they started bark Burnell and most fans were like, why not just put Breeze out there, let him go, hands it off a couple of times, and then pull them. I get that. I think some people are like, oh, that ruins the integrity of the number of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it makes you look like it's about you and selfish. But it still was like, nobody will come from this far. Keep it going, go treat it like preseason. Let him hand it off six times and get him out of the game. But anyway, it's just one of the durabilities. I was in voting like Verlander, and I want to get to your topic. But if you're voting for me, Gordy, if I was voting for an MVP or voting for a Hall of Fame. Durability matters to me. I mean, you know what I'm saying. As good as Joel embiid is, forty five games a year doesn't do much for me, right, But the guy that shows up in every day and even when he's struggling or going good, he's not begging for the dead. I know you need him in. The times have changed, but there's certain things that don't have to change, and a guy's commitment to I'm getting paid, I'm gonna show up to work. Yeah, there's certain streaks you'll never see, and that that consecutive game streaks, you know, and and far of obviously durable and Peyton man Eli Manning doesn't get enough credit for his durability. Manning's were extremely durable during their career. And Justin Verlander has been one of those guys as well for the most part. I know he's had arm surgery and the rest of it, but it's a it's a you can play into your forties, the Aaron Rodgers of the world, the Warren Moons and the Brady's. It's pretty fantastic because that's a horror Hey, people walk across the street and or get a hang now and miss ten games. Those cats are getting their brains beat in and still showing up. Yeah, a blister's not keeping a football playoff fifteen days or could you imagine going to Connor McDavid and saying, hey, dude, how's that blister on your on your low hand, left hand, low on your hockey stick? Well, it's big and it's bleeding. Well you want to cut out and take three days off? It's like, uh, I don't think so, I think I'm gonna mat matter of fact, how about this stick across your head?
Speaker 5: So we just got word. Gregor will not fight in his next upcoming fight. He has a blister.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, yeah, yeah, his uh he's got a little ssiatic nerve problem that uh, he's kept him awake last night. He's gonna miss four months. So yeah, but I guess crooked, Yeah, that's the favorite. Well, he's got a kink at his deck, which means he was out drinking too long. And you know one of those that's my favorite. Well, you know what, h he cut his he cut his finger because he was doing dishes. Get the hell out of here. He would put his finger in dishes. The dude was drunk, and damn you're severed.
Speaker 5: To thes fought off off a night of drinking. I guarantee he has.
Speaker 2: Dude, I played football with guys that drank himself to sleep the night before, woke up the next day and had a great game. Matter of fact, in the old school days, we were we were we were given beer in Seattle when I was a rookie, we were given the The snack the night before was burgers and fry. You know, you'd have the snack the night before on a Saturday night, the you're nine o'clock meeting at night. Chuck knocks philosophy was simple, basically, if you throw it, and this was his quote, if you're gonna throw the ball over the fence, make sure you can go get it. And we had a tub of beer Heinek. I can remember it was Heineken, and it might have been one of the local beers or another beer. And you'd walk out and I a couple team they would just take a six pack go to their room because that would help them sleep. Right. Chuck just said, be a pro and so you'd get your burger. You'd do it. If you wanted to eat during snacks. Some guys would do it and take their beer and burger to their room. We weren't giving soda if you wanted. So there was beer available the night before a game, which meant, don't be an idiot and had you're not shown. But I know guys that could drink six or eight pack of beer or the six pack of beer, you know, and it helped them sleep and wake up the next day and play their ass off. And as long as you did that. Chuck did have problem, but he did have the quote, if you're gonna throw the ball over the fence, make sure you can go get it. And so times have changed, my man. Yeah, change encouraging a heineke in the night before so you could relax, as opposed to how dare you you drank one beer? Goes to he was drunk and passing out and throwing up right, that's how people would view it if you didn't play well the next day.
Speaker 5: But well, Greg Cook used to tell stories of what falling out of a car and then like being at practice the next day.
Speaker 2: It's a great time. I remember.
Speaker 5: Players.
Speaker 2: I can remember we were at college in spring practice. One year we had a defensive lineman who was the hell of player. I'll leave his name out in college and we're out on the practice field getting ready to doing stretching lines, and he walked by him and he'd say, hi, was a great and everybody loved him and a great player. But you know, it was one of those spring practice venders. He went and had himself a few drinks in the sun shining in southern California and he's at his gear and it's like, how much booze did you have before you got your three point stance? And he performed and nobody said anything, but you wouldn't nowadays people were like, oh my gosh, what's what's going on with you? Out a hand. They didn't cause anybody any trouble. The guy just drank before or spring practice because he really didn't need to compete for his job because he was like an All American.
Speaker 5: So you see Demico getting up there. Yeah, guys, look, Joe Mixon is not a practice today. He went not drinking last night. Yeah yeah, in a night of foolishness.
Speaker 2: So and even if he did, that would not be the reason why that came to He's got the flu, so so give me some names, Gordy, what are we looking at you?
Speaker 5: So Ryan McMahon is one of the big names. They were saying that a Rockies, right, yeah, the Mariners, Yankees and Astros could be interested in. Now we brought his name up yesterday. He is batting two seventeen on the year, I mean batting averages yuck. But he does have the sixteen home runs, he does have the thirty five runs batted in. And you know, some people have phoned out there that okay, the Astros with the need of estac paratus being out, you know, and they've they've said right that they think it's a serious injury. Now what's serious? You know, is it, oh, it's just a really strong hamstring strain, or as Ross was saying yesterday, is it off the bone, you know, attached that it's gonna be take a fault, that's a recovery out.
Speaker 2: If that's the case, then you're not seeing him for a long time. Right.
Speaker 5: So that's what we just don't know. But the fact they've said serious injury or it's pretty serious, I mean they've intimated that this maybe isn't a he misses a month and he's back in September thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a difference between a torn pull and strain. Those are three different levels, I assure you, And the first one is the one you did the T word, the torn that you don't want it because if it is off the bone, then those are the type of guys you don't see the rest of the year.
Speaker 5: So McMahon's out there, what are you willing to.
Speaker 2: Give up for him? Gordy? Okay, let's say to what are you willing to give up?
Speaker 5: Well, let me give you the hemline. The Maritters and Yankees are heavy interest. So if they're showing heavy interest, they're not going to take a call from the Astros to go, We'll give you chant McCormick, get a bag of chips, like they're gonna want a haul.
Speaker 2: They're gonna want the case of chips, right, not just a bag.
Speaker 5: And this is where I get into like, your top prospects are here, they're playing, right, Matthews is here, like so like that's the players that they would be asking for, and it's like, you're not gonna give those guys up. So that's where I just wonder how how much of a player will the Astros be? Another one I saw out there Padre is looking to move Dylan Ceese for multiple major league baseball players. So you could have Dylan Ceasee, but you're giving up multiple big league players for him.
Speaker 2: I wanted to cease remember when all the talk was when he was in the White Sox and he was available, and before I wanted I would have loved the Dylan Ceese when there was even Shadowell do you jump in on him? And what's gonna cost and the rest, and then obviously ends up there. I'd love to have him. But if you're the Padres, that guy's got cy young stuff, and on a team like this, that's one of those you think, well, he's gonna rear his head because that's what they do when they come to Houston. I'd be willing to give up. But the problem is, like you said, it's not gonna be one, it's not gonna be two. It's a haul. And because he's in the prime of his career, it's not like he's thirty seven and winding down. Dylan Ceese is still he's got a lot of great pitching left in him. So if you're the Padres and you're moving him, you're taking on money. But you're also taking on a good way, and but you're gonna have to give quite a bit up to get him, And you're exactly what are you willing to And normally it's going to be a bunch of young studs and a couple players, right, And he is a rental.
Speaker 5: He's on a one year, thirteen point seven million dollar deal. But again that you read this report, it says the Padres sit in the third walk cart spot. They are certainly buyers in front of the trade deadline. It might surprise some onlookers to hear that the Padres are dangling Dylan Cease. He finished fourth n l SI voting last year. But the talent is there and he's still only twenty nine years old. But their mindset is they are looking for multiple useful MLB pieces in return for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I'm trying to think on this team, well, some of their multiple players are injured, so that may not be part of it. Yeah. Yeah, And I'm assuming that means guys like Bryce Matthews we're here playing. Are you willing to part with them to get a cy young type guy?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 2: And that's that's my biggest problem.
Speaker 5: You could hit free agency and you have fromber walk out the door and see swalk out the door.
Speaker 2: And if we're giving up four or five players for him, I agreed, that's a tough one unless you could you knew that he say, yeah, I'm up for a good extension. You extended, but you know what that extension is going.
Speaker 6: To be.
Speaker 2: A lot more than oh yeah, that's exactly.
Speaker 5: Right, something that would make you go, why didn't we just give that the front that's right?
Speaker 2: And then so and then you end up losing too and giving up a lot of prospects or and or players that are impacting your team. It's that they're in a unique situation because teams like this, meaning the Astros aren't supposed to be eighteen games over five hundred with all these injuries. They're supposed to be in a cell mode. Right. Yeah, quite the opposite though, because most teams that have that kind of injuries, you're like, Okay, we'll see you next year. Let's go get some players and get rid of some of this salary. Not the Astros. All these injuries and they're still tied for the best record in the American League and eighteen games over over five hundred, So they are they are the anomaly, this is this is the aberration, This isn't the this isn't the norm. What the Astros are doing?
Speaker 5: What more, keep an eye on Charlie Morton's name has been floated out there.
Speaker 2: At the Boy Boy Dan Matthews has been talking about him for a month.
Speaker 5: He's a Baltimore oriole and it's not going great there. He's signed a one year, fifteen million dollar deal with them, but he's five and eight record wise, and wins aren't everything. But a five fifty eighty RAS last time out against Tampa he gave up seven earned at five and a third inning. Now prior to that, his his ten starts prior to that, we're all pretty damn strong. So overall he's been pretty good this year. But again it's just it's a little I mean, a guy in the ra close to six. What are you giving up for that?
Speaker 2: Right? Well, that's the difference is if you're going after I got, it's probably not going to cost you as much as obviously a Dylan Cees and it's going to be forty two. Yeah, this year, I was going to say, how much more time is Charlie going to be doing this? But what I mean, he just kind of he posts all the time. I mean, if you could get him for a cheap price, it'd be great, because I'm sure he'd pitch well here. But at forty two, I would imagine he's not long for many more starts in Major League Baseball in the next five years.
Speaker 5: This where if you're Danny, You're looking in the house and go, you know what, Brandon Walters giving us a chance, Colton Gordon's give us a chance. Maybe just standing pat at the trade deadline and keeping our places and getting all these other guys healthy is the best.
Speaker 2: Move you can then find in a way, if you want to go in on frombor, you can. If not, then you got to start to develop another offseason plan for another front line left he probably.
Speaker 5: La guy and Triple A's killing it. I mean, it's this the farm's pack. Do you stand pat with the farm and keep developing, or do you go pull for pull a trigger and get rid of them all for nones at the big league level.
Speaker 2: I just the only way you do that is if you were guaranteed a championship. Then there is no guarantee. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The more I just think about it and people will yell, oh, they're being cheap. Oh there, Oh, you're not being aggressive all this. I think the aggressive move is to stand pat and stick with which you got, because look at you. You're leading the American League right now with what you got.
Speaker 2: And I actually think it takes probably more guts to do that right now, Gordy, in this situa, don't you thinking that you're still relying. And it also sends a level of confidence, and you're telling your team, regardless of the injuries, we believe what's going on here and if they get healthy. That's like having three or four guys you just landed in free agency. Yeah, we will see, all right, Well we were should I say trade deadline, not even free agency, But that's like, that's like you just landed Jordan and and uh Christian Javier in a trade, right because you haven't had him for the most part all year.
Speaker 5: Dan, it's gonna drop that line on you. Get ready for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's coming, Sean. This is like a trade. Yeah, there you go. We get the big left handed back. We just got one of the best players in baseball. We didn't really have to trade for him. He's here, he's.
Speaker 5: Gonna go healthy. Hang in there, Astros fans, We're coming, We're coming. All right, let's grab a quick time out. We'll come back. We've got plenty more to get into. I gotta give you some takeaways from Texans camp. All we saw their overreaction to day one of training camp. We'll bring that to you coming up next.
Speaker 1: Sean Salisbury continues on seven ninety.
Speaker 2: All right, Sean, what are you hearing out there now?
Speaker 1: The Salisbury stakeout?
Speaker 4: Salisbury's takeout on the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 5: Sean Salisbury Show here on Sports Talk seven ninety is the Salisbury Stakeout and Sean. Texans hit the practice field yesterday and one of my just immediate observations was they better put Nico Collins in bubble wrap because outside of him, I don't feel very good about any of these other receivers on this roster. Ken one, if not two rookie wide receivers, be two guys you heavily rely on this season.
Speaker 2: If you're CJ. Strau, Yeah, they play like Nikua when he came out of what BYU with the rams? Was it BYU?
Speaker 3: The y?
Speaker 2: Yeah? If you can, if I can get that from them, sure of course, and maybe you will. But I never want me to hang my hat on rookies being that guy. Now, there's always that hope part, and you draft them for potential and hope that they can, but they're going to be forced in to happen to play and do something now. And so in truth, Gordy, if I said to you going in before you went to practice, what's the perceived weakness on this team, and it's not even perceived going into this season, is how's the offensive line going to play? Right? How are they gonna lose in Tunsil? They obviously self inflicted pre snap penalties, all the crap that went on. And yet you got five guys And I've always said, if I had a Hall of Famer and four average other average offensive lineman or no Hall of Famer and five solid players that are there, give me that group over the guys with one star and four hacks if that was the case. Right, Well, so you're hoping you've upgraded the position and they say they want to be nastier and do all that, and let's hope. But that was going in the perceived weakness and probably still is until they prove who they are. But the sneaky weakness and you make a great point and you're out there seeing it. So I'm anxious to see what moved you and why you think that, other than the fact that they're rookies, is they are one injury away from you from that position possibly becoming a weakness.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: I know, we think, well, you've got great running game, and with Mixing and Chubb, you've got a quarterback that should elevate the other receivers and make them better. But it still comes down to you still got to have guys that know how to get open and beat coverage. And as a rookie, you're still learning how to get out of the huddle, let alone what the coverage is, and how to beat man and zone and get off the press coverage all those things. So I'm hoping that's a little more hope there because you're exactly right, well, that star is a wide receiver. Can Christian Kirk and these rookies elevate that is a position to watch and hope to the good Lord that you don't have an injury a high ankle sprain to a guy like Nico Collins for a mo up. So I'm curious of what you saw there. They made you think you know what, it validates your concern.
Speaker 5: Well, it just when you see Nico Collins in action. I mean, he is a he is a bona fide top ten receiver in this league now, and it's it's incredible that that happened, because if you just said that his first year or two in the league, and I'll be like, you're nuts. But he is emerged and he has developed, and I mean you may even make a case our top five receiver in the league.
Speaker 2: Nico Collins. He's that good and he's a physical beast too.
Speaker 5: But Tank Dell ain't coming out of street close this year. I mean he ain't. He ain't gonna play football.
Speaker 2: Feels like.
Speaker 5: Christian Kirk, nice journeyman, but a little small John Metchi will be waiting on that train until the sun comes up on. Is this the year that John Metchi emerges It? Maybe he does, maybe the it clicks. But Xavier Hudge, I think is no more than a three or four at best in this league. So you really start to look at and it starts with Jayden Higgins six four, two twenty out of Iowa State. It got the deal done with him your second round pick. I just look at Jaden Higgins. Oh God, they're putting a lot of eggs in the basket of Jayden Higgins emerging as a true stud rookie.
Speaker 2: And putting a lot of pressure on the quarterback to make sure that they get involved regularly. And that can happen if but it's you know, run game's gonna uh enhance that or not, but on this team, it should enhance it. So I go back to the offseason and say, did they do enough for you? Would you have liked them to go get a guy like Cooper Cup when he was available.
Speaker 5: Well, I just look at the We're watching Sports Center here and they're showing Stefan Diggs at Patriots camp, and I'm going, why the hell did they make that trade for him and then rework the deal to take years off the deal he was if you'd have just traded for him and inherited that contract. And I get it, there was a much guaranteed money and he wanted guaranteed money and all that, but like also say, d you're under contract, you're coming back next year. The fact they reworked it to a one year deal, and he gets hurt. You had Stefan Digster half a year.
Speaker 2: And especially since you didn't sign him as a free age, didn't you traded for him? Yeah, you gave up a first rounder, right, you traded for him. So what obligation do I have to Well, i'm going to trade for you. You're coming here, or you just sit out and you're not gonna get paid. But you're coming here. Why would I take away years on his contract only to because if he had a great year, he was going to cost you more if he had an average year. But you said, well, there's potential if he gets hurt. At least he's und a contract. We don't have to worry about it in the off season. Every advantage you did when you traded him you gave to him. Yeah, you gave him every ounce of leverage to get out because.
Speaker 5: It would give a path sets to get him.
Speaker 2: It would sure be nice. And you know Drake May's counting on him in New England, right, it would be sure nice to say, oh, he's healthy and ready to practice and he's under contract. Then you didn't have to pay him anymore. That was one of the odd things. What was he not going to show up if you didn't rip up his contract and give him one year, Well, then he doesn't get paid. He was under contract and you gave him an easy out and then with the injury, so basically you got him what for half season and a first round pick is what it costs you?
Speaker 5: Right, well, second round, second round. But they did that weird thing where they had the first round and they traded back. Oh okay, gotcha, I think got the second right whatever, But it was the top.
Speaker 2: It was you know, you're talking about a top forty player in college, right type of thing that the least that's going in you gave up a significant pick for him, is the point.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they chose this is from me and Rappaport reported the Texans restructured Digs his four year contract extension from the Bills in twenty twenty two, with had two years remaining. They restructured that into a one year, twenty two million dollar game.
Speaker 2: And that maybe is salary cap stuff, because you know redo it's like you'll ask a player, hey, can we redo your deal. We're not asking you to take money away. We'll actually give you more upfront if we can redo the deal in the cap. Whatever. The reason, he was under contract and guess where he'd be right now, had you not done that he'd rehabbed, he'd be here, he'd be coming back for year two, and you'd have two number ones on your staff.
Speaker 5: I just wanted Digs for two years. This could have been a second year.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: He did sign a three year, sixty three million dollar deal in this saf season with the Patriots. A little bit of a gamble for a guy who's not a spring chicken. He's thirty one years older, turned thirty two later this year. But I still would have loved to have the If I'm CJ. Stroud and Tamika Ryan's I would have loved to have the luxury to know I've got a stud right there next to Nico Collins. I don't have to worry about And.
Speaker 2: Guess what for Diggs, who's going farther this year to say it's a better team. So but I understand the money, but boy did you cater to him? And it was a costly one. And you're hoping now now you're more on the hope than the production. And he was actually having a good year. Yeah, he was playing pretty good for Yeah.
Speaker 5: No, he was great. Yeah, and no off field issues or anything any.
Speaker 2: Name the team captain. Yeah, there's awesome. Yeah, it's a bummer. It's a bummer. Now you're counting on a couple of rookies to step up and they're going to have to.
Speaker 5: Hey, Matt Campbell, hopefully you developed these receivers. We now have three Iowa state wide receivers on this team.
Speaker 2: It's obvious that Nick Cassario likes Matt Campbell players. That's that's a damn truth, right the Yeah, well, hopefully they emerge when we return.
Speaker 5: I'll give you a few more takeaways what I saw out there at Texans camp yesterday. Training camp officially underway football. A week from tonight, we will have the Hall of Fame game, so it is upon us more Sewn Salisbury show.
Speaker 4: Right after this, I had to live there for the Seawan Salisbury Show continued, Ready.
Speaker 5: To go and that sort of thing. But for the most part, it sounds like even the guys that are out, you know, it's not super serious, like they're they're gonna be back pretty soon, and for the most part, pretty damn pretty damn healthy. I think was a WEX tweeted out. He said, uh, you know, of outing everybody that was out there. Christian Harris, the only player on the active roster that he didn't see a practice. I mean, it's everybody was that Nick Chubb was running out there with the running backs full go. He looks in great shape. I mean, so we knew Joe Mixon a little banged up from the spring. He's you know, he's not out there right now. But like, okay, so Nick Chubb is your backup, Like pretty damn good backup.
Speaker 2: To have if he's healthy and he is full got he looks great. He's this is going to be a huge git. He said, well, what do you mean a huge get backup running back. I don't look at him as a backup running back. I look at him as one A and he is a He was going to run with attitude after what happened. You know, whenever you leave a team and you were injured, and he may you know he had he played good football. There there's this sense of, well did somebody give up on me? And I understand why pe'de running back. You're into your career, you're banged up, coming off surgery. But if you walked his off season workouts in the time you put in, you should we should expect a fully healthy beast in Nick Chubb now how much he's going to get each day. It's a great bonus aff. I think it's the best one to two punch in football at that position.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I don't know anybody that's got a better backup at running back than Nick Chubb. There are some good ones, but Nick Chubb is a Pro Bowl caliber player. And the knees, you know when you've heard a knee or something, Gordy. It's much different now than it was. I mean, these guys are coming back in seven or eight months and killing it when they get back right, nine months ready to go. He used to be a twelve to sixteen month injury. He's going to be. Chubb's a monster. And I think it was his knee, if I'm not mistaken. Wasn't it I did any of an ACL But regardless, it was a lower body injury. And I'm glad that you saw that. So you saw burst with him right and running like like he never got hurt, is what you're saying. I think he's going to be a good get and a great depth and allows Joe Mixon to get less work and probably give you the same production to where he doesn't have to be beat up. I think Joe Mixon should love having Nick Chubb a part of this as well.
Speaker 5: The other one that again, it's just it's funny seeing Davis Mill still out there heading into year five in the NFL, and I mean, he's gonna be chomping at the bit to get an opportunity somewhere. He's been ever since they took CJ. Stroud writing was on the wall, bro, you're the backup.
Speaker 2: Where you know what you're going to be saying in twenty thirty five. Man, Davis Mills been lead fourteen years. Man, what a career he's having. And you know, and and started in the first couple of years. Yeah, he's that guy. And I'm sure he wants to be a starter, but it's reliable and he's safe, and every team needs a guy that you can throw in there with minimal work and still trust that he'll at least get it done for you.
Speaker 5: And he actually had a nice day yesterday. There's some darts Jared Wayne one one of those receivers catching the ball down the field. So again, look, you want to have a reliable backup. And that's what's funny is I think Mills is in our mind gone from this guy sucks and the David Cully era and you know, Lovey Smith error to Vible backup and yeah, if Stroud were to get hurt, you feel pretty good about him coming and executing the offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you may be limited on some of the things you can do offensively because Stroud's so good at throwing them. But Davis Mills gives you some game and gives you experience, and he's now at the stage of his career. Gordy, this is when you start to figure it out for three, four five, you know, between years five and seven. I know in my career that's when it all. You may think you know it, but the understanding mentally what you're trying to get done, this is about the time it kicks in where like it's a clearer picture. And I think it was Steve Young who said said it years ago. Just when you figure it out mentally your career physically you can't do it anymore now if you're Brady or you're allowed to or Steve Young lasted a long time, you start to figure it out. The physical stuff now becomes a lot simpler because you mentally know what you're doing. In modu see coverage, there's only so much they can do. There's eleven dudes. When you're young in your career, you're borrowing trouble in creating problems, right and now, Davis Smiths, this is the time where you just mentally start to settle in. You don't need a lot of work physically as a backup. Yet you go in there and you expect him to play well. And I would expect that if he has to start a game or two, that you should expect to win because he's at that point in his career. And also, if you ever want to restart somewhere else where you get a chance, those one or two or three go back to Scott Mitchell or guys over their career who Gino Smith waiting for the opportunity. Who's to say that Davis Mills isn't the next Geno Smith, who is a journeyman, gets a chance somewhere else for you know what, He's completing seventy percent of his passes and starting in Seattle and now gives the Raiders hope that they're going to beat some people. So maybe Davis Mills that guy. But don't discount it. It is an important position because most quarterbacks don't play seventeen weeks. They just don't. Well.
Speaker 5: The other part of this that we had all eyes on is and again it was the first walk through padless day one practice, but the initial offensive line Cam Robinson at left high who's been much maligned in his time in Jacksonville and was with all that Lake and Tomlinson at left guard came over from Seattle, Jared Patterson back at center, Titus Howard at right guard, and at nursery the rookie out of Minnesota at right tackle, not the second round pick from last year, Blake Fisher. So that kind of caught some eyes on and Blake Fisher was out there, he ran with the second unit, but it was just kind of a quick, oh, okay, rookie, rookie jumping up there.
Speaker 2: This is happening in a hurry, right, So again.
Speaker 5: Is that the greatest offensive line the Texans have ever put out there?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: But and again this is the first padless day one practice, so we'll see what it looks like over the course of training camp. But just kind of caught some eyes on one, Oh, the rookie at right tackle, and then the other side, Oh, are we really going to do Cam.
Speaker 2: Robinson right and if this happens, and first of all, they get a head start, because I don't see anybody jumping off sides fifteen times at left tackle. Well maybe, but I would hope not.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 2: It also says this, if in fact, you are starting a rookie at right tackle, if that's the goal, if it's not just you know you put him in there. To put him in there, he must have done some awful good impressing in this offseason. You know what I mean is a rick because the only thing you got to show is the tape, and he was like, well that's college tape, and you walk in here, and if you are in position to possibly start, that tells you that they feel good about him. And they felt good about him this offseason.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and some other guys in the mix. They brought in ed Ingram Minnesota, Jake Andrews backup center. They brought in Juice Scruggs. Of course still here. I saw my els you guy, Austin Deculos back on the roster. I didn't realize they brought him back, but they.
Speaker 2: Got some decent depth. You just got to get those five guys continuity to where you know you're rolling them out there before. You're not mixing and matchup because I want to see the same guys who.
Speaker 5: Have to leap on the line. It's just is the starting five, right?
Speaker 2: Are starting five starting five worthy? Yes?
Speaker 5: Agreed, that's the question. It's uh, it's like the Astros when they had a bunch of four A players. It was like you weren't good enough of the big leagues, but you were way too good for triple out.
Speaker 2: There, you're kind of stuck between her. You're you're the hybrid guy. So we'll go find out. But one thing what will serve them well is a group that that is mean. I like nasty, mean, offensive lineman on Sundays. Yeah, and if you get that at that attitude's right, the rest will come down. I can't teach meanness. I mean that that attitude of of that being nasty, that's DNA. You either got it or you don't. Now, I can give you a motivational speech, but those are temporary until somebody punches you in the face. So you've got to be disciplined enough to be to make sure that nobody touches a player on your team, even though that's not reality. You have to treat it like that and I good offensive lines I've been on. It all started with are they nasty? And do they love being around each other? And most good offensive lines they're they're kind of beat to their own drum and they're in their own world. And the Texans need to find that with these guys up front. This is that if that isn't a weakness this year, the Houston Texans will have a head start and will dominate the division if that's not a weakness and they stay healthy.
Speaker 5: We'll get back into some Texans conversation next hour when we return a former Houston athlete writing a love letter to the city. We'll tell you who that is.
Speaker 2: Coming up next. Hey, Jbarn Barbecue. Jbarmbarbecue dot COM's where you go twenty two oh one Leland. If there's an event downtown, get over there and get this good barbecue. Whether it's in the morning, whether it's Saturday morning, whether it's you and your dog, and people want to go to the outdoor and watch the big old TV and relax and the fall comes around a little crisp or inside where you walk in there and you be you know, Hoppy's in there greeting you and mister Toomey, who's got a birthday coming up. We'll talk about this week. He's in his nineties showing up every day to work. Or if it's just you walk through the line and say, I want that brisket, I want that jalapeno cheddar sausage, and by the time you set down, you've eaten it off your platter because it's so good and smells so good. Everything you want. If there's an if there's not a function, I don't care where you come from. It's worth your two hour drive to get here. If you're listening to the iHeartRadio app in Georgia, get here and go to Jbar and Barbecue. If you're local, you know what I'm talking about. Drink specials, Hall of Fame menu, you can eat with Joe as Spot eats, and you can also realize that there's no better barbecue place here. Twenty two oh one Leland. You don't need the phone number, why no reservation is needed. You'll love it. Great parking. It's for any meal pre and post if you want to it after a dike in Park, Astros gamer before, but you don't need that because the food is a play. It's a destination spot just for the great food and you can run a party for three hundred people there. Whatever you want. They got it. It's Jbar and Barbecue twenty two oh one Leland Street, Jmbarbecue dot com, jbarn Barbecue dot com.
Speaker 4: Let the celebration start, wor Sean Salisbury on Sports Talk.
Speaker 1: Seven ninety.
Speaker 2: Belong and I guess, I guess so I guess you're right. Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's titled uh A few words from the Heart for Htown. From the Player's Tribune, he says, h Town, thank you for everything. Goes on to say in this letter, he said, I grew up here for real. Some dudes just be and I like how they do it the Player's Tribune. They put it in his words, they don't clean it up. So it's when I'm reading how Jaylen is saying it. He said, I mean, I grew up here for real. Some dudes just be saying that when they get traded, or just be saying that when they get traded. But I really came here at nineteen years old, still eating skittles before games, and I'm leaving here as a father. It's been a time, y'all, he said. When I got here, all anybody was talking about rebuild, rebuild, rebuild, doing that droopy dog thing looking at the floor. You know what I mean, Gee, I don't know. It might take four or five years. Man, just take it one day at a time, he said, bleep a rebuild. He's proud of taking his team. You know, this team got to the playoffs last year and achieved so much. Now, he did say, Sean, it was interesting. He said, he totally agreed. He put himself from the shoes of even of raphel Stone and said, if that were me, I would have pulled the trigger on this trade too. You got a chance to bring Kevin Durant to Houston. I totally get it, you know, he said, Maybe this works out for best. He said, he's ready to go to Phoenix and grow into his own with Devin Booker and hopefully become a big time player there. But you don't hear that from guys very often. I say, you know what, I get it. I totally get it. If I'm in his shoes, I pull the trigger on that trade too.
Speaker 2: Well, you're looking at one of the best players of all time that you get as good as Jalen Green can be offensively, He understands the business side of it, and quite frankly, I'm sure at some point in Jalen Green's high school life watching Kevin Durant play that he's like, man, wouldn't it be cool to play? Be that good? Well, and then he's the reason that you are in Phoenix. You got two choices when it comes to that God. You can be bitter and take it with you, and usually the person who's bitter has the grudge, suffers more than the peace. You got the grudge or bitter against normally because it's eating you up. Listen, you you improved every year. You had a rough postseason, but you became a player, and Phoenix obviously holds you in high regard because you can always say I was traded for Kevin Durant. Not a bad gig, right, it's good, But then you approach your new job. Hell, Phoenix is a good city. They need a little turnaround. They're only three years removed from an NBA finals. I think it's been three years when they got beat by Giannis and they were up two oh. So he's going to a place that's had some success. So I like that and Pennant the way he did that it was a business decision, and he understands it and gets it. What's not the like and why wouldn't you root for him to go and be successful somewhere else? So I don't have a problem with it. But he recognizes greatness. And Kevin Durant still got a couple of years of greatness in him. I think you spent one four years of Minnesota six five, six or five years five I think maybe six, but five for sure, ninety to ninety six or ninety five when you.
Speaker 5: Came in, and then when you left you were a much mature person out and.
Speaker 2: And not only that, but good teammates that helped you mature. A great coach, and I was able to play for de j Burns and Danny Green, and it's like, you know what, had they said, could you go back there? I mean, I grew up in San Diego and finished in San Diego. You said, what team do you affiliate most with? Sean? For me, I was a Minnesota Viking, And that's saying something. The hometown team that I played for because I always wanted to finish my career at home. I got to. But I'm a Minnesota Viking, and that's just the way it is regardless of where you played, and I loved it. But yes, you go in one person, you come out another. And I like the Jalen Greens learned that at a young age because there's a chance this may not be the last team he plays for. That's just called sports.
Speaker 5: I just love the imagery of he's eating skittles pre game at nineteen yeah, and now he's leaving and he's.
Speaker 2: A dad, yeah playing video games because you're like, and I'm sure at nineteen percent, I ain't gonna be a dad anytime soon. And now you're a dad, and you got somebody else to think about. It is a and Gordy, you'll face this one day.
Speaker 3: We all do.
Speaker 2: It's like you go to bed a kid and you're like, oh man, I'm having time in my life. Then you wake up and there's this little one. You're like, oh now I got to be a responsible guy. And he's still awfully young, but being a parent is the greatest life changer and hopefully for the better for everybody, and you kind of settle into maturity. Man, it's not a bad gig to have. And Jalen Green gets it at a young age, and I hope he goes and kills it in Phoenix.
Speaker 5: I really do the last thing he said, and this is the quote. If I bust y'all asks for thirty next season, just remember the good times, to which people are like, okay, but is it thirty points on like twenty six percent shooting from the field. Because I was going to get a dig, little high volume.
Speaker 2: I don't want to raid on his on his love parade with him that he's really good as we just give him calf of it. I was just about to say, well, it's going to be in the regular season, because you sure as hell aren't scoring thirty against him in the postseason, and that's kind of a deep dig and that's wrong.
Speaker 5: Okay, Well that's most people's responses were when I'm in Thompson is defending your Jalen good luck.
Speaker 2: In that thirty. Maybe you're not going to get three shots off, let alone score thirty points, So there you go. But good on him that he feels that way about a city that in truth, yeah, when you're a teenager, when you come here, you need some presents from the people around you and some help, and they obviously provided that form. So good on him and I hope he plays well other than when he's playing this team.
Speaker 5: Here one more good piece. He talked about Alpern Shankun. He said, and of course my Turkish brother Alpi. When we first came in here as kids, I didn't know what the hell you'd be saying. Half the time we were teaching you how to swear in English, you'd be showing me all that Turkish rap, and I just couldn't get jiggy with it. I'm sorry, bro, y'all got to learn to switch the flow up. That's my guy.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 5: I didn't know Europeans could be so down to earth like that. I thought y'all are all bougie. But no, Alpi as cool as hell.
Speaker 2: There you go. Now, Alpi may hang thirty on you next year. There's a good chance of that All Star there you go.
Speaker 5: All right? Yeah, I thought it was good, good stuff there. From Jalen Grant the players to being all right. Our number three is the Shoann Salisburg Show. Come your way, ab.
Speaker 4: Houston ADHD two Houston, an I hard radio station.
Speaker 2: As a rocket.
Speaker 4: This is Sports Talk seven ninety your home for your home teams.
Speaker 1: From the Parsons that mentioned next Studios.
Speaker 5: Saulsby, Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 1: Sewn Salisbury.
Speaker 3: Salisbury, the USC troupe's longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury, Dan Matthew.
Speaker 1: Excuse, this is the Seawan Salisbury show.
Speaker 5: We got Sewn, we got triple Lee, and we got a first place Astros team not just in the AL West, but in the American League. Or Houston Astros leading the American League tied with the Toronto Blue Jayson won last night. But best record in the American League. It's sixty and forty two. Here on July twenty fourth, did not think this was possible, especially with the team that they're putting out there right now. But man oh man, it has been a lot of fun to watch. And shout out to the brew crew. The Milwaukee Brewers take it two out of three against Seattle. Remember on Saturday, Sean, we were feeling pretty down and out coming out of the All Star break and the Asers dropped two in a row to Seattle. Well that quickly. The Astros have now won four in a row and Seattle has lost three out of four, and the Astros are back in control of the ALS. It's just it's wild how quickly things could change. You got a six game lead on them. You were this close. If you lose that Sunday game, they were gonna be two games back. You breathing down your neck.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gordy, think about how the narrative has changed in ten days both ways. Go into the All Star break one in five and it's like, oh my gosh, what's going on here? You can't afford to lose to Seattle coming out. Then you lose the first two and you're like, here we go, when are our players coming back? What's going on? Trade deadline? This guy sucks? What are we doing? And now you win that last game, then go in and sweep a hot Diamondbacks team and take care of your business there, and now you get to come home, and now the narratives back to oh, not only are they good and overachieving, they're getting healthy, but they've got the best record in the American League with Toronto in ten days. That's three different narratives that have shifted. And here you are staring at it. But if you keep giving me this narrative of the way they're going, I'm all in on this. And you know what, maybe just maybe go to your onto something thinking will the best move be no move at the at the trade deadline, will it be? Yeah? I just know that you don't have to mortgage your future by getting somebody that's a wow factor. And what's the move? Is it the just a guy? Is it significant guy or is it that guy? Those levels of trades and which one is it? That guy is gonna hurt if you have to give up some because you ain't getting that guy for nothing, And then that's what you got to decide. That's the crazy part.
Speaker 5: Is as good as the a team like the Dodgers are spent a ton, they still have a loaded farm system. The Yankees still have a bunch of really good guys in their farm system. And yet in the Astros, we've been trying to build this thing back. That was the whole reason Dana got hired, just because the scout's eye, Hey, we need you to build back up this farm system, Dana. And then he's not even here two minutes and they're trading Drew Gilbert, their top prospect for Justin Verlander. You know, it was like, you know, he's look at Jim Crane, go Jim, I got to rebuild this system. But Jim's going well. But also we're trying to win more World Series here, So it's a and.
Speaker 2: You go, here's your parameters financially in years, you're gonna have to work on it. Yeah, and that then that becomes a Dana Brown situation where he has to find a way to cause I'm quite sure that judging just from my and gord to you may think different, but from my perspective, Jim Crane feels like a guy who sets parameters and then turns it over to you and empowers you to do your thing. Now, it's like when you go to a realtor and how many god, I don't know if this happened to you when you bought your home. You go to a realtor and say, hey, man, even if it's a buddy, here's it's a realtor. Hey, my price point is between five and seven fifty. And then they come back with ten houses to show you, and all of them are one point three or more. It's like, well, I thought that maybe you know you want to grow into it for eight hundred thousand. Well no, I'm not growing into that just yet. Give me the five hundred. Well then they come back with a seven fifty and I say, well, it's not two dollars and fifty cents, it's two hundred and fifty grand. I would imagine in a similar yet much bigger fashion that mister Crane has said, here's where it goes. That there is a parameters where you've got to deal in And that's part of the genius of having capologists and having you know, the metrics and the analytics part of it. That applies to the math of money too, because you're just not making deals and say, hey, by the way, we're getting bill and cease and it's a rental and it's going to cost us thirty million if we want to keep him next to you, But hey, let's give up four prospects for him and two plays right to get a right handed stud I'm sure that taking back that Jim Crane would be like, did you just waste my time at this door and to the point where here's the parameters. Now go operate within him and see what we can do. Because I feel like Jim Crane has empowered Dana Brown to make some decisions, and Dana has done a good job with it and a great great at understanding talent and their development. But that's part of the part and parcel of the business. He's got a lot that he has to deal with with this understanding how not only it works for now, what does it do for the team now? But are you? Are you crushing a future by getting rid of prospects that you're trying to build back up. So that's part of the genius of being a general manager. And I think that there's an empowerment that it feels like Jim Crane gives them and work within these parameters and let's make it work and then we'll go from there. Because one thing I know about Jim Crane that I can't say for every owner. He does want to win, Gordy, and when we say, well, doesn't every owner, as long as it fits under theirs, some want to win. I'm sure Oakland wants to win. But guess what the ownership of Oakland's not going to do. Or now Sacramento is soon to be Las Vegas, they're not going to say, go spend four hundred million dollars.
Speaker 5: You said that very well, I could do even keep truck. What's the city they're in?
Speaker 2: So I because if I didn't, my guy Billy Bean would say, seanyre, you're not paying attention to our franchise. Well, Billy, you guys only spend twenty grand a year, so.
Speaker 5: His headquarters in Sacramento.
Speaker 2: Now they move, I would I would think temporarily. Yeah, they probably have something that because even though it's not a long trip, and Billy will pop in his suv or truck, I'm sure. But I would imagine because he wants to be there day to day that that's probably the case. You're not going to stay at place you're not at anymore, so rental. He may even have already started the Las Vegas. So that's a good question. If they've already started. Okay, let's let's let our temporary here in Vegas. Is that's going to Vegas? It was still all mud. Oh they still have any like broken ground. Oh yeah, it's going to take a minute. But when it goes, it's going to go fast. And it'll be a pretty quaint ballpark since it's right down town. So it's gonna be cool. But yeah, so I would think that Dana Brown understands and does what they got to deal with. He didn't make the Kakuchi move last year just on a whim, right, he knew the ramifications and.
Speaker 5: What was going to be to be here, to give up I mean, you give up multiple minor leaguers, Shake bloss and h Joey lo Berfito and.
Speaker 2: Low Berfedo was the hot commodity here when they let him go because he that energy, right.
Speaker 5: I just feel like the attitude from Dane has to be we we've drafted our ass off. You know, we picked Bryce Matthews, we picked these like, we're not going to just trade these guys for rentals, Like we're gonna stay the course, continue to develop, build these guys. We've got Miguel You Lowe and aj blue Ball waiting in the wings, like let's just stampat keep this keep developing here.
Speaker 2: I always think this Gordian maybe on a team like the Astros, if you're the Dodgers, the Astros, teams that are now your Phillies, that in reds, that they are used to winning and you can't guarantee it. But coming out of it, the Kakuchie thing was really good. Now after the fact, did it work, No, because it worked during the season, but you didn't get them to the post. He isn't even right, So in truth, I thought it was a great decision. At the time, but in the long run, it's like, we didn't win a World Series. To me, rental's work, Gordy when it ends in a championship. Other than that, it's not that it was a total failure, but it didn't work. You didn't You didn't get a rental just because you wanted to make the playoffs. You got a rental to give you a chance to win the whole thing. Who's the guy they traded for from Baltimore? That play a little for trade man seen? Yeah, Mancini, that worked out.
Speaker 5: You won the twenty two World.
Speaker 2: Left field, play a little first base, dh and you want it.
Speaker 5: That's That's a prime example of one we look at as it worked because you won the World.
Speaker 2: Series exactly and he wasn't He wasn't a dominant player, but he was. The timing was right, and you won a World Series. So they say, would you do it again? Yeah, and you do the Kokuchi thing again if it ended in a World Series. But since it ended in a two game sweep and you never saw him on the mound, the perception is, even though he was really good, is you gave up three minor leaguers and all of them are gone as well as the guy who you rented. So that's the danger of that. And if you were to go get a guy like Dylan Ce's or a rental, guess what you're you're aiming for. That'll tell you if they go do that, that you believe that you're gonna win the World Series.
Speaker 5: What's that phrase? Opportunity costs. The opportunity cost of what you have to give up to get a cease, I think is greater. Is greater than I've got Spencer Arraghetty in double A corpus, I've got Luis Garcia in double A Corpus, I got Christian Javier are heading a triple A sugar lamb, Like I'm going to get these guys back to me. I've got a bank and I'm paying them. I'm paying Christian Haavey or whatever it is, sixteen seventy million a year. Like that guy's got to get back and produce and earn his money rather than me and going and spending, spending, spending and losing assets.
Speaker 2: Like and it goes back to the Bilo cell High thing, Gordy business school. First thing, I mean, is it if you and that that's the whole goal and this is business school that it's the risk reward if if you're taking the risk, what's bigger here on a Dylan ces guy, the risk is because the chase. Now he gives you a chance. But in truth, there's far more you have to do to get and win a World Series than just get to the playoffs and lose. And it would be a failure on a rental with him if he was gone at now you go get him, You get to the playoffs and you don't have to give up, and all of a sudden you win a World Series and you sign him for four years and now he's a cy young guy to next year. Well, then you win. But the risk reward and you are right. Sometimes that risk is just too big for the reward unless you're guaranteed the reward. And guess what, when it's pro sports, there's no guarantee other than maybe Otani okay, and he's not available.
Speaker 5: Oh and let me give you a guy like guys on the roster could start to heat up. What if I told you Christian Walker is batting three forty eight in the month of July.
Speaker 2: So far, I'd say that's exactly what you bargain for maybe not three forty eight, but a hot bat when you got him.
Speaker 5: It's getting hot. I mean he was batting two thirteen coming into this month.
Speaker 2: Seing two forty something.
Speaker 5: Now close to two forty now, I mean it's he's heating up. Don't let him get hot. Now, if Walker gets hot and maybe you get paying, youa Myers and yourd on back different stories this thing move. Do you need to make it the deadline? You don't need one.
Speaker 2: Gordy was a healthy as the move. Think about this, with all these guys out, who was the middle of your lineup supposed to be Jordon Walker and Jiner. Yeah, now, up until about two weeks ago, Jordon not productive, hurt this year. I'm just talking about this year Christian Walker hitting in the two teens and Jiner Diez splitting a little more time with Victor Krottini. And that was supposed to be three four five, maybe Walker or or Yin or hitting the six hole. But that was supposed to be your middle of your lineup al two by leading off whoever you put it second, and at the time it would have been Paradius, right, and if you decided it wasn't, Paratus was something else, but you were going out too ve Paradis, Jordon Walker and or Yiner and then fifth Walker and or Yiner, then Payana and then however else and went seven eight nine. Well, here you are now, and it's starting to look like that. So those three guys that were not productive for the majority of the season, now you get Walker hot. If Yiner starts to pick up and you get your back, you're exactly right. Eighteen games over five hundred to'll end up twenty five thirty games over five hundred if this continues, It's exactly right. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Maybe maybe the trade deadline move is getting an extra trainer in the room to help uh gods get healthy.
Speaker 2: We got calves, we got hammies, we got obliques, we got ribs, we got a hand break, we've got blisters, we.
Speaker 5: Got syn Astros have just made a trade with the Seattle Mariners for the trainer, Marcos Gonzalez. He's gonna come in here and he's gonna help this team get healthy with some new techniques.
Speaker 2: And they're also sitting in a case of tape, okay, pre wrap.
Speaker 5: I cannot confirm this, but he's bringing a training table with them. I've been told so and.
Speaker 2: It's also got the hole in it like that, so you can so you can work on your upper back too without you not being able to have that plastic in your face when the covering and you don't have to put a towel down. Just just no Deshaun massages. Sorry, I wasn't ever going there. I think that's for other people. I'm not talking about that. I get to throw up in my mouth. We'll get it.
Speaker 5: The more Astros, the Texas conversations stay with us.
Speaker 2: Let the celebration start more.
Speaker 1: Sean Salisbury on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 2: And if you talk about who's the backup quarterback to Tua, who's the backup to the Giant even giants, and it's cycle, that's yours. There you go, Miami, you got draft, what's the late round draft pick? And when you talk about like we were talking about Russ Wilson yesterday, said man, I was asked the question who's the backup? And I had to think for a second. I said, Oh, it's Jameis Winston. Because of the topic of Brian dable name and a starter, and Jameis Winston's a viable, big time backup who can start for you? So it's nothing anymore. With all the changes. You could ask ninety percent of the football world, where's Trey Lance? Are like, I'm not really sure where he is, but yeah, he's not gonna see the field there either. Because we were talking about good players that ended up being bust and then journeyman who ended up becoming players.
Speaker 5: Okay, let's clear this up real quick because I didn't know any of this. The backup in San Diego to Trey Lance is the back up to Justine Sane.
Speaker 2: It's not San Diego La. I still called San Diego too. Don't have same way? You know what they are?
Speaker 5: Yes, So Trey Lance is a Charger. The backup to Trevor Lawrence in Jacksonville is Nick Mullins former Fort and Minnesota Viking. Mac Jones he left this offseason, was in Jacksonville last year. Is now the backup to brock Party in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: And think about this Mac Jones. And if you go back and remember now, remember when they drafted Trey Lance. Do you know that Mac Jones at the time, Remember they were talking to San Francisco was are they going to draft mac Jones? And you're talking about where is he going to go. Well, think about Mac Jones. He started in New England two years ago. He's on his third team and three. That's how quickly people are moving on from the guys like Anthony Richardson and the rest of it. But trying to keep your eye on the backup quarterback body.
Speaker 5: Well, and to bring in full circle here, the backup in Miami which you just mentioned is Zach Wilson. Do you realize that's all the twenty fifteen or the twenty twenty one NFL draft quarterbacks Trevor Lawrence won, Zach Wilson to Trey Lance three, Justin Fields was eleven, which he is.
Speaker 2: In where Fields as a starting quarterback with the Jets, that he's the.
Speaker 5: Starter with the Jets. Where Zach Wilson was and Mac Jones was fifteen, All those guys were the same draft.
Speaker 2: And thank you. So guess what.
Speaker 5: Guess we'll just play a physical change and.
Speaker 2: Guess what we're gonna say about that draft. If you had to label that draft right now, you know what you're saying. Horrible quarterback draft exactly. And that includes when I say horrible. He's been good at times, great at times, average at times, and crappy at times is Trevor Lawrence. And as the first pick, can I say, would you would you say this if I said right now, if his career ended, would you have called Trevor Lawrence a bust or a success?
Speaker 5: More of a bust closer to.
Speaker 2: The button now, not a full bus, not a full success, closer to the well as the first pick of the draft, expect acting more correct. So that's where we are now. Look after that, not a one of them is on the team they started other than him. Zach Wilson's on his third or fourth team. Mac Jones is on his third team. H third team is justin fields. None of them are are having rousing success right now. And they were all in the same draft, and.
Speaker 5: It's like you're all just playing musical chairs. Yeah, you're like, oh, this.
Speaker 2: Will replace you, you go replace me. That's exactly right. So what's crazy talk about not an exact science.
Speaker 5: A redraft of twenty twenty one. I don't know if a quarterback goes on the top three picks, because your top three picks are most likely I'm just eyeballing this. I'd probably go Jamar Chase, Micah Parsons, Patrick Stand.
Speaker 2: I mean, but even if you just say certain, yeah, those are three full blown Pro bowlers that have lived up and exceeded at times expectations as opposed to four other quarterbacks or five quarterbacks that right now or other than Lawrence, our journeymen. There are journeymen.
Speaker 5: Nico Collins to go in the third round. I might put him up there.
Speaker 2: Well, if Nico Collins, this is a redraft, knowing what you know now, he's a top fifteen pick as a wide receiver because he's a big, physical game breaker.
Speaker 5: So I just we redrafted a quarterback wouldn't even go right five.
Speaker 2: And that's Lawrence included. Now out of need, you may have drafted him depending on need, because you're the potential. But judging by production as a matter of fact, the other four they're not drafted in the first round because they haven't had any There's been no semblance of them being first round production. It's crazy how that, And you wonder why people miss on that position and why a seventh round pick like Perdy can get sixty million and then the top pick of the draft can flounder to the point where Jacksonville's not sure if the future is there and they just paid him what fifty eight million bucks or whatever it was. And Trevor Lawrence, it's a hard position to evaluate. Just asked that draft class.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean remember they when they took Blake Bortles. The Texans were considering it. Bro Bill O'Brien liked them a lot. I think that was the Clowney draft. But they had Bortles and they went to the AFC title game. Yeah, and then it followed the right and he became a backup. Yeah, Gordy, think about this.
Speaker 2: If I said, right now, and this is not at you, its most if I said, right down on a piece of paper without looking at that before we do this, I said, the thirty two backups at running back and quarterback in the NFL, you'd probably get through what four of them? Yeah, I don't mean, and that's a guy who you follow it closely like I do. But you have to think, if I said, right now, who's the backup in Minnesota, you have to exactly.
Speaker 5: Right, JJ McCarthy is the starter now.
Speaker 2: And guess who's gone. Daniel Jones is in Indianapolis. Obviously, Donald's in Seattle. So just for just for talking sake, Minnesota Vikings backup quarterback they're starting in essence, you know answer I did going into last year, and uh and I go on and I go on every Thursday with Dan Burrero in Minnesota.
Speaker 5: It is Sam Holle.
Speaker 2: There you go, former North Carolina and Washington commander's quarter.
Speaker 5: Brett Rippin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mark's uh Mark Rippin's uh nephew.
Speaker 5: Do you know who the backup day is? The cam Ward in Tennessee?
Speaker 2: The backup to cam Ward in Tennessee is give me an idea where he went to school? Because I do know this. Oh it's Brandon Allen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at Wood. You could give me twenty guests that's never.
Speaker 2: Ran all yep, there you go see what I mean? Okay, who's Caleb Williams backup Caleb Williams in Chicago? Man, because you've never heard his name? Because why is all Caleb Williams of Ben Johnson? Who's the backup there? Oh?
Speaker 5: Well they signed case. I know Keenum's there, right, but I don't know if he's he's probably third string.
Speaker 2: So but that's my point.
Speaker 5: Let's see Tyson, Badgeant, pagent, badget whatever it was.
Speaker 2: It be a it's b A D G, E N T or something round a sheep he's played.
Speaker 5: How is that guy back? And Sean pay.
Speaker 2: Million right now? Just don't hit me. Yeah, think about that. So that's my.
Speaker 5: Point is like I am gonna milk this thing until until no.
Speaker 2: Case Keenum needs to have a well Omarvis scale play twenty four to twenty five years. Dude, keep getting paid. I don't blame. That's my point is you can be heavy into it the off season movement backup quarterback, and it's a valuable position because you don't know you love them until you need them, and then when they don't perform, you're like, oh my gosh. But that's the way it is. Times have changed. You knew when Steve Young was a backup to Joe Montana, you have zero idea. I'm not saying you all of us. I'm on every week in Minnesota Talk and I had to think, like who is the backup?
Speaker 3: That is.
Speaker 6: It?
Speaker 2: That with your friends today?
Speaker 5: See how many backup quarterbacks in the NFL your friends can name right now that like that are where they are right now.
Speaker 2: Hey, go to the defensive coordinator in some of these places, say who's the backup quarterback? He'll say, I don't know who the backup quarterback is on my team. That's how crazy this is.
Speaker 5: You know who's backing up Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 2: Now, Patrick Maholmes backup? I do know this. It was Carson Wentz last year. Give me his alma mater, and I can probably tell you Washington State, Washington State. I don't know. It's yes, it's it's Minshew. Yeah, yeah, that's right. I had no idea. See talk about the perfect journeyman starter and backup at every city he's played in.
Speaker 5: He was backing up Stafford for the Rams.
Speaker 2: Matthew Stafford, backup. Give me the alma mater, Oh, Northern Illinois, Tony Romo the other one. That's a crazy quiz, right, and that's Gordie. I would say that you probably follow football as close as people who follow football close. Guess what and tell of course you need him for eight games, right? You need Teddy Bridgewater in New Orleans to win five for you when Drew Brees gets hurt. It's a crazy dynamic. And now you say, who's the best backup in the league, Garoppolo, maybe Jameis Winston. Maybe who's the best backup quarterback in the league, Davis Mills in your top ten of course.
Speaker 5: Davis Mills might be up there, exactly a reliable backup that you can count on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, all right, trip man. One more for you.
Speaker 5: Who's backing up Jalen Hurts in Philly?
Speaker 2: Jalen Hurts back up in Philly. Isn't that McKee?
Speaker 5: Tanner? McKee got a good, good call out of Stanford again. Could have given me twenty guests this and never.
Speaker 2: Would have got there. You go, brother, that's it's nothing to be a shame because that's the rest of the ninety nine percent of the world feels the same way. That's wild. All right.
Speaker 5: When we return here, Colin Cowhert said something stupid, go figure. We're gonna talk about that next.
Speaker 2: Well, you don't need a reason to go to J bar M Barbecue other than you like great food and great customer service. How many of you have gone over there on the weekend, sat out there, brought your dog out and had some little breakfast tacos or grab some of those drink or food specials to set out in the back. Man, yesterday was a phenomenal day. Or when the sun starts to set and say I'm go go to have me some barbecue and some of the great sides. Ever, well you got it. You got the Hall of Fame menu. You can order with Joe spot Orders. You can order it, you know with Kelvin Sampson or Clyde drex Or. They got all that Hall of Fame menu. And the menu is Hall of Fame Ish great food. Whether I don't care if it's cheddarsauce, it's a jalapeno, I don't care. If it's the sides and the potatoes, ald macacheese. They got everything you want. So you do not have to have an event nearby to want to go to Jbarm Barbecue. There is no reservations needed. It's a twenty two oh one Leland. People are coming from far and wide to go there. It is the best barbecue and customer service in this state. So if you're traveling somewhere else for barbecue, stop going into Jbarn Barbecue, whether it's the weekend or during the week and realize, man, it's not only efficient, the food's off the charts. And if you're coming from two miles or two hours away, I would suggest you make Jbarn Barbecue the reason A Barn Barbecue dot com. Jbarn barbecue dot Com. With the food and the customer service, You're not gonna find it any better anywhere. J Barr m Barbecue dot Com.
Speaker 1: The Sean Salisbury Show continued.
Speaker 5: But what could they do an Eagles like movie where like actors are playing them?
Speaker 2: Yeah, then you say who you choose right, who you choose for Joe Walsh and who you're choosing for Glenn Froyd.
Speaker 5: Always they picked people like zac Efron will play Glen fry like what they didn't even right, but they're right. Put makeup on them, make them look.
Speaker 2: Like Now, the perfect casting they got was when for Queen what's My Guy? That was Mercury. That was a that's about as good a casting as you can get because of the look. And I thought he played the role what's his name Remy yeah, yeah, Mallard, Yeah, what's say it against what's Malick? Yeah? Malick? That's it? And who is really good at his job? He's really good. But that's hard to that's hard to reach eight because you also now I know, with with the way that studios work, that you don't have to be a singer. But if you got a good voice too, it's kind of nice, like you know what was interesting.
Speaker 5: I read Malick sang a little bit, but they had a guy who is a Queen impersonator or Freddie Mercury impersonator, who re sang a lot of that stuff, right, so he's voice over a lot of it, and then they took actual Freddie Mercury's voice. So it's an interesting layer.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. Well, it's amazing how they can do that with all this stuff. Hell, we got to see Hank Aaron without seeing Hank Aaron at the All Star Game, you know, with the three the way they do these presentations with the with the three D and the what do they call that like being yeah, the Holly guys. It's pretty impressive, man. So it's only a matter of time before Hell, when are they going to start? Honestly, you're doing movies where you bring back oh yeah, old actors, right, and I mean some of these movies where a guy died, like the African American Gentleman and all the equalizers. Who works at the hotel, you know, you know who's the hotel? Who greets John Wick at the hotel. He's a really good actor and he's been a great supporting actor. He passed away and yet in post movies or like Paul for for the uh with the family. What's my go to, Mike Paul Walker, you know with the with the way they but they still have him in post movies after he had passed away, right, you know what I'm saying to like, whether he's standing on the beach where you can put him in. I'm just wondering if we're ever going to get to the point where you do a full movie with former actors that are in a full movie that none of them are alive.
Speaker 5: Well, I think we're five years away from AI. We'll just automate the Sean Salisburg show. It'll be Sean giving his takes AI, and you can just sleep in.
Speaker 2: I'll retire before that happens. Okay. Now, if you're saying, Sean, do the show the day before, they're going to copy your voice and it's going to be AI and Clint Eastwood's hoping hosting your show. Great, but let's see you say five years that'll take me. Yeah, I'll be on the golf course when that happen.
Speaker 5: Heard the show today he sounded great?
Speaker 2: Or really?
Speaker 5: What did I say?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What did I say? Because I was a whole four.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, well, if not Ai, maybe Colin Cowherd will put us all out of business with his flaming.
Speaker 2: Cha let me hear this one.
Speaker 5: This was one we were talking about Archie Manning earlier. We were talking about the Cleveland Browns. We talked about Nick Saban yesterday. Here is Colin Cowherd with what he calls the worst kept secret in the South. Now, I live in the South, I know a lot of all my friends live in the South. I have not heard one damn person say this yet he thinks it's the worst kept secret in the South, meaning everybody knows this. This is just common knowledge. Sean. Okay, here's Colin Cowherd.
Speaker 6: In fact, this is the worst kept secret in the South. Haslam Jimmy, owner of the Browns, huge sec Tennessee Booster leans heavily on the Manning family, very close to the Manning family. Yes that that that's not make believe. Rsh Manning is part of the Manning family. And this is where Nick Saban comes in. Saban is incredibly close to not only Jimmy Haslam, but Saban's close to the Manning family as well. And so Saban if he could Land. I'm told a top quarterback like Harbaugh going to the charges for Herbert, he would take a phone call for the NFL. And there are two teams guaranteed to be awful this year in the NFL, Cleveland.
Speaker 1: And the Saints.
Speaker 6: Nick Saban has coached in Cleveland with the Browns under the Belichick staff, and he coached at LSU.
Speaker 5: This is not a conspiracy theory.
Speaker 6: Haslam's circle of trust, according to an article in the Athletic last year, is the Manning family and Jimmy Sexton and Bill Parcells. Sexton is Nick Saban's agent. So the Mannings are royalty in New Orleans. The children's hospital in New Orleans is called the Mannings Children's Hospital, and the Mannings are royalty to Jimmy Haslam. Jimmy has them also loves headlines. That's why he pushed the draft. Johnny Manzel and Baker Mayfield, they were the most talk to.
Speaker 2: A ridiculous Garren.
Speaker 5: The ridiculous connection he's trying to make here, Colin Cowhurtshaw is trying to put Arch Manning with head coach Nick Saban with the Cleveland Browns and saying that everybody knows this is common knowledge, Like I have not heard one soul the first.
Speaker 2: Time I've heard it. But have you noticed that he covered It's like Peyton who loves they love, haslm has them, loves them, who loves Nick Saban, who loves Bill Parcells, who coached in Cleveland, who loves New Orleans, who's part of the Children's hospital, and the Mannings are royalty. That's a lot of layers to get to one of them is going to be right, I'm sure. And the fact that Jimmy Sexton is Nick Saban's agent. Listen, while he may take a call from the NFL to have to just figure out that maze he just put us through. And no, it's not common knowledge. I'll tell you. With the least uh the secret that that what do you call it, the least what the least step secret in the South? No, that that would be BUCkies, okay, and everybody else needs them. It ain't that the Peyton, Manning and Ham we all know has them in Peyton, Manning and Tennessee. But I haven't heard Nick Saban to Cleveland and New Orleans, especially since Kellen Moore is on the first year of this contract. Yeah, that's not something I see and oh so, but didn't he just say because the last time Nick Saban took an NFL job, it was in Miami and the only time as a head coach, he had an injured unfortunately Dante Culpepper. He didn't get Drew Brees. Right, So with that, so you go to New Orleans, who's your quarterback? It's going to be a rookie Tyler Shuggy He's going to be the quarterback, right more than likely, or Spencer Ratler. And if you go to the other team in Cleveland, Uh, you don't want to inherit that, buddy.
Speaker 5: No, it's Blacko, can He Pickett, Dylan Gabriel, Schador Sanders, Deshaun Watson.
Speaker 2: Right, you don't want those muddied waters. You're just gonna wait.
Speaker 5: Now, Well, then the other part of this arch all side, like everybody around them, has said he's probably not coming out.
Speaker 2: After this year.
Speaker 5: He's probably gonna stick around of Texas another year. So you're talking the twenty twenty seven draft. Yeah, so wait, so Jimmy has them and the Browns are guys not this year, but next year, I'm telling you we're gonna get number one. We're gonna suck again. We're gonna get the number one pick, We're can get Arch, and we're gonna get Sabing. Like you know, so many dominoes have to fall just right for that that happened.
Speaker 2: As much I love the Cleveland fans, I'm not so sure that Peyton and the group wouldn't say, Jimmy, we love you. We're not telling Nick Saban to go coach Arch and we don't want Arch to go. I mean it gets to a point where it's like how many times a you're gonna miss in Cleveland? Right? So I'm sure all those relationships are true, but.
Speaker 5: Like, oh, you didn't hear this? Yeah, yeah, everybody.
Speaker 2: Well, here's two of us, the dude local radio here and no, I had no idea and we're in the South, so no idea that that was happening. So I'm great on him that he's got it from authority. Yes, but we do know that Nick and Jimmy Haslam and that whole group and the Manning family are all pretty tight. I get that, But that doesn't mean that Nick Saban is going to be the head coach in either one of those cities.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'll put that one at zero point. One percent chance of happened now.
Speaker 2: So yeah, will he fill the phone call? Probably? Will he take the job? Probably not, nor should he. But there'll be a long line to stand in to get Nick Saven to come back and coach college or NFL when this season's over, as we all know, whether he takes it or not'll be whether he decides he wants to work.
Speaker 5: That out of all teams, like the history of the Brown, you think Archie and all the Manning family gonna go that's where Archie used to be.
Speaker 2: And do you think that Nick Saban because he was an assistant to Bill Belichick on that staff, if you're going to go back to Cleveland. Really, I love the fans, but I'm saying I don't think that's his priority yet and it may end up being, but I don't think the reason is because well I was on Belichick staff in Cleveland. We got something to prove still because Bernie Coozar is not there now, and we'd love to have Bernie back. Boy would they ever? So Yeah, that's a six that's a six degrees of separation that's too hard to follow for me. So and I had no idea that that was a rumor yeah.
Speaker 5: Well it's not. But in closing, Colin cow heard dumbass takes all right. When we return here with Sean Salisbury Show, we do some bad news on one of the NFL practice fields, a big injury.
Speaker 2: We'll get to that here in just a second.
Speaker 5: Why you're back.
Speaker 2: This is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 5: Get back at it. Trending news happening just in the last twenty minutes up at Jets camp. Apparently Justin Fields carted off the field at training camp, suffered a lower leg injury at practice. The team ended that portion of practice and now trending on Twitter. Tyrod Taylor because he is the back end of America for the Jets.
Speaker 2: It usually happens the other way around, though, and here's what usually happens with Tyrod Taylor. Unfortunately, what a what a great teammate and career that guy's had, considering the incredible circumstances he's been in. He what happens is that they have a starter and then he replaces him in places pretty well, and then all of a sudden, then the next year you draft a first rounder or you bring in a free agent to replace him, and sometimes get and then all of a sudden he's a starter going into camp and then well, like in San Diego, the prematurity of and they were with the San Diego at the time, or maybe they were LA at the time, and then all of a sudden, he's a doctor, puts the needle in the wrong and he misses, and Herbert gets the start, and he never gives a job back. Tyrod Taylor has done. This has happened to him in so many different cities where he's coming and performed well, and then they draft the guy to replace him. And now this usually happens him. So on the other you wish anything on fields, but now he's got an opportunity to lead a team. Is he's the guy now that's going in for an injured guy, not to replace a guy. But he's always been as reliable and when you talk about best backups in the league, he's one of them. And he's real. He's been in a lot of different systems. He's got high football IQ and is a smart decision maker. I'm not so sure that he's not a better now. He's not a more explosive talent by any stretching imagination, but he actually might give you a better chance to win because he makes good decisions. I just hope for fields his sake it's not a long injury. But when that carts you off at concerns you never know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, like some we've had this happen before in training camp and then you find out, oh, it's a spring and he'll be back next week. So you know, you sometimes but carted.
Speaker 2: Off, you know, alarm, it concerns you a little bit.
Speaker 5: And then when they stop everything and they're like, all right.
Speaker 2: Normally in the old school days, it just moved the drill, that's right, right.
Speaker 5: But anyway, so Tyrod Taylor is back, by the way, twenty twenty one was the starter here in Houston, and they drafted Davis Mills in the third round that year, and it was a mix of Tyrod Taylor and Davis Mills at quarterback that year, with Mark Ingram and Rex Burkhead at running back.
Speaker 2: Think about all the places that Tyrod Taylor's kind of gone and and you've needed him at some point, and here they go again. I hope, for Justin Field's sake, this isn't a long injury, and for Tyrod Taylor's sake that he, you know, seizes the moment and takes care of his business. But you never want to hear that early in practice. Yeah, I mean right right. So the question for me is, and here's what's going to be asked, was it a contact injury or non contact? Because if it's a contact injury on your starting quarterback, then now you got a question, what in the hell are you guys doing on the practice field. What in the hell are you doing on the practice field? They would allow your starting quarterback to get hit and hurt. This tells me, Gordy, this was one of those somebody got blocked into him. I don't know, I'm just speculating. Or if it's a non contact injury, that even concerns me more because and I've had one where I shredded my knee on a non and when they say lower half, I don't know if that's a knee an ankle of foot, who knows, but carted off like that, it just brings back cringe worthy mem mine was in a game, but and one was contact that I blew it out and one was non contact. I hate that. But if it was a contact injury, then you're wondering, why the hell are you hitting my quarterback. If it was an accidental contact, then somebody got too close to him, but lower half injuries carted off on practice field where quarterbacks don't get hit. I can only imagine what that injury could be. And let's hope it's not serious.
Speaker 5: Some people are already bringing up should they call it Atlanta and discuss Kirk Cousins.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the most logical. Now it's an expensive one, but that's the most logical. What backup goes to an immediate starter and actually probably makes you better. Cousins is a better player than Justin Fields, feels just younger and more explosive. But that would be the natural call. And if you're Atlanta, you say, oh cool, we're gonna lose a guy. That's a backup that we may need. But now I'm gonna hold you hostage, so you're gonna give me more than you wanted to give me if I'm gonna go get Cousins depending on the length of Justin Field's injury.
Speaker 5: It's amazing how it's like we live in this heartless world and social media fantasy football people are already chattering, going, Actually, Tyrod Taylor gives you a better value for Garrett Wilson and Breese Hall this year. Like God, like, the body's not even cold. That's right, we don't even know what Justin Field's injury is that they're Yeah, actually, this is a better situation for fantasy owners.
Speaker 2: It's a perfect example of like, oh yeah, they're not even thinking about Fields. He can be headed to a hospital for a observation and we're already worried about how it's gonna affect your fantasy points. Yeah, yeah, that's crazy. It is cruel in the sports world.
Speaker 5: Man, I had a chance to talk with Jamal Charles last week at at SEC Media Days. He was pumping Bush's baked beans per run them.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and I'm at the Manning push right now. Don't they bushes make me? It doesn't pay for endorsement.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but uh, he said, he's I said, how many people tell you about fantasy because he was like the top back in fantasy for years. He goes, Man, I get that all the time. People are like, oh, he helped me win my fantasy league and all this kind of stuff. And I was like, you almost feel like a piece of meat, like you're not even like they forget your playing career and all this, it's just you helped me when fantasy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like man that run you made against Pittsburgh in a playoff or where you're like it was awesome. No, dude, you gave me. I got thirty points off you in week four when the player doesn't even remember the fan. But it's true league three hundred bucks. Yes, yes, it's like I sacrifice a win for my favorite team as opposed to winning the fantasy league and the twenty five bucks that week. Yeah, it's amazing.
Speaker 5: Fantasy is what gets fantasy is why Week five on Thursday night football Jags versus Card everybody's watching.
Speaker 2: That live football game is always going to make more than any studio show you can put on when it comes to football. It's a fact I've sat through those meetings that he is. You could put Slippery Rock versus Bowling Green on a Tuesday, it's going to rate better than your Sports Center or most of the stuff you're putting on it. Mark Shapiro used to come in and talk about he goes, yep, that's why, oh, more games, more game. We can fit a college football game on every night program. It doesn't matter who's playing. Somehow someway. If you're college football fan, you're gonna pass by and say, let me stop in here for a second. Maybe we'll get a good one late in the season and a whole bunch of snow for two teams we're not even rooting for. And in the NFL, it's the same way fantasy drives it. And when you got like seventy five million play in fantasy sports, there's a reason why it's a billion dollars.
Speaker 5: Legal sports betting. It's making it much more interesting thing as well. Imagine that concept. We could get that in the state of Texas so tremendous.
Speaker 2: And there's places now where you can play like the futures bets when you call them futures predictions, the prediction mark like Calshi you can make you you can just mention them, but you can actually because you're like, well, how do we do this in Texas? There's ways to do it, but it'd be nice if we didn't have to find ways.
Speaker 5: He could just walk down to the mattress Mack has to drive across the Louisiana border.
Speaker 2: You'll make his bets right, instead of walk across the street at a bar and say, you know, what I'd like to take this one, this one, and this one.
Speaker 5: I can't wait till that day. We're worried about more important things like marijuana. Right, you know, Damn Damn Patrick.
Speaker 2: What do we do? I got a great idea legalize them both. Too much money to be made.
Speaker 5: All right, final hour of Sean Salisbury. Sure, come on your way.
Speaker 4: Next a Houston AD two, Houston an iHeart radio station.
Speaker 2: And the Rocket.
Speaker 4: Sports Talk seven ninety your home for your home teams from the Parsons that Matchine Next Studios.
Speaker 2: Salisbury, Old Very Salbury, Houston. Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 3: Sewn Salisbury, Salisbury, the USC Truph, longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury.
Speaker 1: Dan Matthews.
Speaker 5: This is the Seawan Salisbury Show, Sports Talk seven nine and Chris Gordy in for Dan Matthews. We got Shawn, we got Triple Lee, and we got your Houston Astros American League leading Houston Astros. I can't say it enough this morning. It's absolutely nuts. So at the Astros are tied with the Toronto Blue Jays for the best record in the American week sixty and forty two sixty wins. Now, let's do the math. They've played one hundred and two games, so what they played one sixty two? Sixty games remain, so you got sixty wins with sixty games remaining, and the Astros have won four in a row. And Sean, I got a crazy stat for you. Brian McTaggart's been tweeting this out. He's been tracking this the last couple of games, and it continued on yesterday. The Astros have allowed it again. Despite being the best record in the American League. They're on a four game win streak. The Astros have allowed the opposition to score the first run of the game in fourteen consecutive games. That is a club record. They have never done that before. The Houston has not scored first in a game since the fourth of July, and yet here they are first best team in the Americans.
Speaker 2: Now we add that stat and it even makes it more amazing of what they've done and where they're at. That's incredible. Like you look at the opponent, you go, hey, you scored first, Oh cool, we're gonna score two. Right when you're spotting somebody a lead. Can did you come out of the locker room saying the other deposing teams up seven and nothing to start the game all the time?
Speaker 3: What what?
Speaker 2: And the fact that you're not only overcoming it, but you are winning those games for the majority of them, pretty impressive. Fourteen straight. How often does that happen to How often does that happen to anybody? I mean that that's a hard stat to fathom.
Speaker 5: Aggie Doug said, I think at this point, a spot is just trying to challenge himself. Hey, hey, what more can we do to put ourselves at a disadvantage.
Speaker 2: You go out and hand up the lineup cards, say, boach, uh, did we just tell you? Just put a run on the board. We'll give you one. We'll spotch you. Well, we're that good now, even with all these injuries, we can spot you.
Speaker 5: Confident in my game, I'm going to back Victor Carrottini second today. That our backup catcher. That's theh Hey give him a run on the board.
Speaker 2: We're good. Thanks. And if that, if that's what it takes, the challenge and keep winning, I'm all in. If that's what they want to do, we're allowed to. It's incredible. Don't give baseball any ideas because they'll find another gimmick. Hey, you know what, if you've if something happened and you did something or broke a rule. We get we got to spot the team. It's like, you know what the in the the PGA Tour and they change it this year or you no longer get to you know, they have the end of the year FedEx Cup Points where they go to Atlanta and they play in the winner gets twenty five million dollars. Yeah, but it's been in the past that if you're the number one guy, you go in depending on your season, like you automatically start with a three stroke lead or a four stroke lead going into that turn. Now everybody's equal. If you're number one, it doesn't matter. So you were you were given a head start. Don't give baseball any gimmick ideas because Rob Bannf will say, you know what, I got a great idea. If you lost by more than five runs the night before the team that lost, you spot them or run to start the game to make it a little more competitive. We're gonna give Colorado since they're seventy four games out of first place, we give them three runs to start a game. Don't give Major League Baseball any gimmick ideas. They'll jump all over it.
Speaker 5: We do I forgot to mention this earlier in the show. We do owe a big thank you to home played umpire Brian Walsh yesterday who was a helping the Astros out on some borderline pitches. But the one that ended the game. Did you see it, Sean Josh Hater? It was a full count to tell Marte, and I mean, look, as soon as Hater threw it and it landed. I was watching the game with Ross. We both went, I walked him and then the umpire kind of slowly does the steps away, rings him, wrings him up, and that's ballgame. Look. Sometimes I'm not gonna look, I'm not gonna apologize because the Astors have been the victim of bad calls a lot this year.
Speaker 2: So we'll take them.
Speaker 5: Sometimes they go your way, sometimes they go your way.
Speaker 2: Take them and in a year with all these injuries, you'll take them anyway you can get him to win. Did was it yesterday or the day before? I'm trying to remember that they run together a night game to day game, did Marte? I mean, did uh? Who opened it? Did they open the game with a home run in the first yesterday? That's right? Okay, exactly? So yeah, seven innings. Yeah, he was really he was pretty brilliant yesterday and and you needed it to to prevent you having to go four or five different guys in a bullpen. Good good on him and good on them.
Speaker 5: I bet to bring this up earlier too, when we were talking about the division race and the Al West and where it stands right now. And yeah, the Astros have a little bit of a cushion six game lead on Seattle Mariners. Don't look now, but the Texas Rangers have won three in a row, eight of their last ten. They are five and one since the All Star break, and Seattle better be worried about them. Yeah, like they were worried about the Astros.
Speaker 2: Oh, we're so close.
Speaker 5: Almost beat the Astros, almost swept them, And now objects in the rearview mirror, the Rangers are just a game and a half back of Seattle. So Seattle six back of the Astros, Rangers just a game and half behind them. Yeah, so Rangers might start getting healthy here and they may jump up in the second place.
Speaker 2: And in truth, any Bruce Bochie every other year managed team you know in San Francisco, didn't they go h was it odd years? I can't remember a year, but they win one, lose, didn't they win the next than lose another win. So every other year Bruce Bochi's teams were winning championships and comes here wins it the first one. Last year they took a step back. Odds are to me that the Texas Rangers are not going away, and they can pitch, as we know their top two guys with the Gram and Valdi, are pretty damn good, and they're pretty deep there, and we know that they've got bats that can rake if they're going good, So they are a concern. Six games is nice, but Seattle, you're exactly right. Those objects are closer than they may appear, and hence why Also the Astros probably aren't overly comfortable with the six game we saw quickly. That could dissipate if, in fact, you go through a series or two where you're not playing good baseball and the other one is. So it's gonna be fun. I wouldn't think that this division is going to be I don't think this is a twelve You know you're gonna win a division by twelve games. I think it'll be a bunch closer, probably even closer than six games. But what a nice feeling to know that when you get healthy, you got a six game lead. Yeah, well this or I hope you have a six game lead when you finally do get healthy.
Speaker 5: The Rangers right out of the break took two out of three against Detroit. I mean, that was that was pretty big. They just swept the A's, which it's the lowly A's, that's who the Astros begin a series with tonight.
Speaker 2: But they didn't. They still beat teams they are supposed to and that's important.
Speaker 5: Well, look at the next six for the Rangers. They get three at home against the Braves, who are i mean massively under achieve, which incredible, and then they go out for three against the Angels, who you know aren't great, and then they go for four out in Seattle. There's a chance the Rangers going in that series with Seattle and they take care of business. They jump Seattle, and suddenly we're talking about Seattle's not even the hunt anymore and the Rangers of the team chasing the ass.
Speaker 2: Right, And if you're the Astros, now you worry about your own business and not paying attention to other people's schedule.
Speaker 5: But in truth, as you go and lose three out of four to Oakland. You're gonna lose a lot of good will.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. So you have while you keep an eye on It's like you're at the eighteenth t box leading the golf tournament by two strokes. I would suggest you look at the leaderboard to make sure what kind of shot you're going to hit. And I I'm sure the Astros they're resilience understanding where they are. They're not taking a six game lead for granted. Hence why you gotta win the ones you're supposed to, which means birdie par five's, and the Astros have to do that. Those are the ones where you when it becomes a moving day where you extend your lead, you can't. You can't split or lose series the teams you're supposed to beat, and now they come home and it's pretty favorable for them the next handful of games here as well.
Speaker 5: It's crazy this this pitching matchup. If you know, like on paper, it's Jason Alexander tonight, not the star of Seinfeld going up against Luis Severino. I mean, like that matchup three years ago, you'd have been like the hell Oakland A's they're gonna they're gonna beat the hell out of the Astros post but several Reno's got a five to n era this year, three and eleven record, and he's the shell of his former self. And we got this dude, Jason Alexander who's just risen to the occasion and pitched well when the Astros have called on him.
Speaker 2: That's exactly right. So four gamer right is.
Speaker 6: A game?
Speaker 2: Or that game?
Speaker 5: They're all night games. Okay, they are all Sunday's afternoon.
Speaker 2: There you go, Okay, cool, So a chance to to hell might as well go sweep another series that'd be nice as well. That'd be nice, and then it doesn't matter how the guy's behind your plane. Who cares?
Speaker 5: I think I saw the theme tonight. They're doing Christmas in July, so they're like, you can buy an Astros Christmas sweater and like the giveaway is an al two v A Christmas sweater, bobblehead, you.
Speaker 2: Know, give me stuff. It already got us thinking we're gonna be putting Christmas lights up before you have a Halloween costume. That's how we do in this halfway there, yep, yep, halfway to Christmas. That is wild though, because you hit the skin. Once you hit August, it's full football mode or rock and roll. Then it's September the weather starts, so change a little bit. And then yeah, then it's full Halloween mode, and then it's Thanksgiving and then this Christmas and it just flies by and we'll be bitching because football season is almost over. Left.
Speaker 5: Well, hopefully it's a long Texans.
Speaker 2: And hopefully it's a long Astros postseason as well. And then you get a good jump start for the Rockets and continue this really cool stuff. And then we get Kelvin Sampson's basketball team and hopefully the Kevin Durant Ad and it's a hell of a year for Willie Fritz And so there you go. It's a good things going on here in Houston, with a chance to actually win conferences and win divisions in a lot of different sports, which is nice. Yeah.
Speaker 5: By the way, what's what's that day? I got to look that up real quick. September twelfth, week three Friday night, September twelfth, the U of H Cougars. We'll play hosts to Coach Prime and the Colorado Buffalore.
Speaker 2: Need to we need to throw a tailgate or something. They got to with.
Speaker 5: They open with Steven F. Austin. And then week two they're at Rice. Sorry Rice, no offense to you. I hope you do well.
Speaker 2: But they're going to be two and oh. We need the cooks to.
Speaker 5: Start two and oh, because can you imagine they're two and oh going into their first big twelve game of the season against Coach Prime.
Speaker 2: On a Friday night. Let's go to in. Maybe we are maybe jbar and Barbecue and us ought to get together and see I already committed. I'm already committing that food. Sorry guys, but hey, just a few fun.
Speaker 5: A few RV companies out there want to set up some r.
Speaker 2: V there you go, We're all in, and uh sean him out, fire.
Speaker 5: A hot tub as well to soak in a lady to feed him grapes as well. Would like that.
Speaker 2: We'll keep talking. Don't forget the oil on my chest. And oh, by the way, I need a plunge pool too, because it's still will be hot and he's yet have a punge pool.
Speaker 5: And those like on a movie set, the guys who hold the screen to shade the sun from you. We need that.
Speaker 2: Or the old Dave Campbell, remember the broadcast baseball broadcaster Dave Campbell, who was you always had the tan. I don't know if you remember him a little younger, but Dave would when he'd show pictures of himself when he'd come to Bristol at the hotel Dave, because he had a tan and it was the middle of he could have been in in Outer Mongolia and the guy would have had a tan, and so Dave he'd sit there be smoking a grit and he'd have that thing that you know, you put the little finger reflector and it kicks up off it. He'd behold, that's sitting in a lawn chair outside the hotel with the grit in his hand. Well, the tan's hitting him and he's getting ready to talk baseball in August. It was classic. We always thin to give our time, but I'll tell you what his tan was like, George Hamilton tan always perfect.
Speaker 5: Well, well we'll talk to you, of h We'll get you taken.
Speaker 2: Care to go. I'm in, I'm in, I'm in.
Speaker 5: All right, we'll return the latest from Texans camp. We'll get you caught up coming.
Speaker 2: Up after this country boys roofing. You need help with those navigation of those insurance claims. They'll do it. No job too big or too small anywhere in Houston. All those things Country Boys will be there for you. Also be aware scams right now storm season, not only the scam of gouging you and charging you more than they should, but of being false and taking your money asking for it and upfront and then boom disappearing. And Country Boys Roofing wants you just to be aware, regardless of who you decide, to make sure you're doing your due diligence. You don't need to get ripped off, especially at the time when storms are gonna hit. You're gonna need your roof fixed or your roof needs fixed now, and somebody's gonna try to Oki Dokia, not Country Boys Roofing. It's a country with the cave boys with the z dollars discount on the full roof if you're a military first responder or educator, and if you're not a thousand dollars discount on the full roof when you mentioned my name, all that is because well, Country Boys Roofing cares. They're transparent, they are family owned, they are locally owned and operated, and people that have used them have sent me pictures and said, you know what this is the quality work they do, cleaned up after perfect job. That's who John is loyal, trusted and also warning you about scams that may go on and if you want it done right for the right price and the right discount, not gouging, it's Country Boys Roofing Country with the K Boys with the Z proud member of the Better Business Bureau, Proud new member of the Better Business Bureau. And you know Atlas and certaintyed certified and they will take care of you the way that you need take care of at the right price, with the right discount, without gouging you. Country with the K Boys with the Z. Countryboysroofing dot com. Hey this is Charles Barker. When you guys thought I put on some way since my playing days, you shall see.
Speaker 5: Horble.
Speaker 2: Now back to the Shan Solisborough show. W a knucklehead.
Speaker 5: We're going to go to the meeting days and our goal is not to make any any waves. We want to just go talk about our team and get the hell out of there. Whereas these other conferences are going I'm going to take a shot at the sec.
Speaker 2: Aren't you always shooting from down from up at the at the big dog. Of course, and SEC is used to this because every single year they face it and this year, man even Hey, when you got the Indiana Hoosiers who were great last year, Gay, don't don't misunderstanding. They had a phenomenal season and Signette he's a really good coach, but he's also fairly brash. But when you got the Indiana well, which has been a basketball school for a long time, when you got them coming out saying bashing the conference or you know, testing them and we know there's a method, is madness. He doesn't have a problem speaking his language. He he he did it on college game day a couple times last year. I love his energy. But we got Indiana Hoosiers head coaches telling you how bad a conference years is Gordy, that you guys are a soft conference in the SEO.
Speaker 5: So I mean, needless to say, and again Indiana had a great season last year, but need I point out Seawan he played one ranked opponent all year last year, that was our highest stay and he lost by thirty.
Speaker 2: How'd that playoff go? Again?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I mean yeah, I lost by what got your brains beat in? By Notre Dame? But like your regular season, you played one ranked team and the one ranked team you lost to, I mean in the sec of teams playing six ranked teams and they go three and three, but those three losses you kept you out. So it becomes and this is where what I hate about the stupid dopes in the hotel room in Dallas, the playoff committee is they put too much stock into losing and not enough stock into who'd you beat. If you went four and two against top twenty five opponents, you beat four top twenty five opponents, they're still gonna go two losses. Indiana, they had one loss, but Indiana didn't play anybody. They didn't test themselves, they weren't challenged all year. Still, eleven is more than ten. Yeah, it's like it's like, loss, we're the top twenty five teams.
Speaker 2: Come on, now, Son, and then your four wins were in top twenty five or at least Power Conference teams. There's got to be.
Speaker 5: There's no nuance now to the conversation. They're just going, well, eleven is more than ten, Like you know, it's like it's like we're doing count what's his name on on Sesame Street, Whereas to me, you know, what we do in college basketball, there is nuance. They go, Yeah, look, I know Auburn lost a duke back in December, but that's a quality loss. They lost on the road by four. Well let's boost them up. And in basketball they do quad one wins and quad two wins. God, if we started doing that football, a lot of people would start getting exposed on soft as schedule.
Speaker 2: You are not kidding, brother, And I don't know why it's not carry over to both. They're both committees, just one has more teams than the other. Right, why why should that change? Why shouldn't the criteria be uniformed. Yeah, it doesn't matter the number of teams. It matters the way you approach the opponent or way and losses. Who you played, doesn't who you play and where they are have to come into play. Gordy, it should and I know quality losses, but if you lose to Alabama but beat Tennessee Chattanooga, right, I gotta take that into account. Right.
Speaker 5: Well, look, Texas is going to challenging themselves and scheduling a week one game at Ohio State, the reigning national champs. Yet if Texas loses that game or Texas season's over, you took a loss and it's like, so, we're not gonna give any credit for scheduling that game, right, and it just because it almost because you must, like for LSU and Brian Kelly, you must go win at Clemson week one because if you don't, seasons, oh, the season might be over. It's like, okay, well then you're telling me I should have scheduled Old Dominion, right, you know, because you're going to count that as a win. And that's what Indiana did. They are getting credit. They're three non conference games open the season are Old Dominion, Kennesaw State, and Indiana State, and.
Speaker 2: If they're not three and oh, then you should eliminate them immediately.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, they'll win those, but the point being is they're playing that, well, Texas is playing Ohio State, and it's like this, these schedules are not created.
Speaker 2: Equal and at the end of the season, I can honestly say a three point loss to an Ohio State team probably should hold more weight than a Kennesaw State win. Yes, Okay, does that make sense? Is it should? There's got to I mean, we've got to have some common sense in this. But we've lost that not only in how we go about sports, but obviously society we just don't. Somehow, some way, common sense was lost along the way. And guess what when it comes to the committee in football, we lost it there too for the most part.
Speaker 5: And here's the dumb part about these conferences is they get so big you don't see everybody. Indiana Sean, they're in the Big Ten, but they don't play Ohio State or Michigan this year, which I don't get. It's like what they don't get? I know, I mean, I know the number of teams, but I just it's just hard to fathom that.
Speaker 2: It's like a couple times when you roll through like was it sc maybe or was it Oregon or somebody they went through and you didn't have to play Utah, USC or Washington in the same year, It's like, how'd you come up with that gig? When the Pac twelve was in? But you know, luck of the draw. But I understand the number of teams, but when you go through it, hey man, did you guys we didn't play them?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Okay, once you're going to get credit for that win and you beat the fifteenth best team in a Big Ten.
Speaker 5: That's like Oklahoma was complaining that, you know when they when the schedules came out because they gave you know, the SEC SID sixteen teams. They gave Oklahoma eight teams, they gave Texas eight teams. Right, and then this year the schedule stays the same, just home and away flips, so you keep the same opponents. Well, poor Oklahoma got Texas, LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, you know, filling the blank, South Carolina, Auburn, and Texas got the other side. Well two straight years in the SEC. Texas got the benefit of the drug gam right, they did of the opponents. So it's just again, this is the schedule. Inequity is what I call it. It is not created equal across the board. Some teams are playing paddy cake schedules and some teams are playing brutal.
Speaker 2: Scaled and at times you're still getting credit for playing a bad schedule if you win.
Speaker 5: That's all again, all the committee saying this go tip number of wins. No offense to SMU last year. But you know, prior to getting to the ACC title game, which they lost, they beat two ranked opponents all year, Louisville and Pitt.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you if if if and I understand how the rules are set up and real quick, Gordy, do you if SMU on a neutral site, just neutral played l ole Miss last year or South Carolina, who would you have picked in both games? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think I think the two SEC teams you probably.
Speaker 2: Would have right, but you probably would have take the bias out of it. You would have said, well, Jackson, Darton, Ole Miss, I'll take them, and the way Lenor say, you would have taken them even though SMU and Rhet Lashley's team played great football. But you would have even though they got in and lost the the championship and got in, you would have taken Ole Miss and South Carolina. You may have taken them no matter where the game was being played as well a neutral site or even at a home game for SMU. And that's not to diminish or shrink what SMU did, but it's the common sense that comes into when you put a team in. Who they played and who they lost to does matter, and it should come into account over Listen, I'll take it's more if you take a loss to a top ten team but you beat Kennesaw State, I'm putting more stock into a close loss than i am a a win that my fourth string team could win, I should be on a committeers.
Speaker 5: Can we please get you on that damn playoff committee in Dallas? Because whoever these morons are that they're putting in there, I couldn't believe Shoan when they showed shots of them watching the games. Nobody is a note pad. Yeah, nobody's taking notes, nobody's They're just sitting around.
Speaker 2: What's your game? I'll volunteer. I'm in. If they want me out of the committee, I'll do it. And I won't even play favorites to my trojans, because if you can't play defense, you don't deserve to be in there anyway.
Speaker 5: So I have no problem with it putting sitting athletic directors. It makes absolutely no sense.
Speaker 2: I said that exactly. I asked Greg sank you that last week. I literally said to him, I said, I have a problem. I said, is there a problem with the committee of putting athletic directors that are power for conference athletic directors that are voting? And his basic answer was, we hope that we've looked into it and the integrity of it comes into play, and that's the answer. And I understand it. But to me, there's enough bodies that watch college football that get it and understand what we're trying to accomplish. That a sitting athletic director at Michigan or Penn State does not need to be on the committee or at LSU or Southern Cal.
Speaker 5: You literally have a financial implication, yes, because if X amount of teams from your conference make the playoff, there's a payout.
Speaker 2: Oh and also a lot of times guess what, there's bonuses involved too for ad all of that stuff. So yeah, the payout doesn't just go to the conference or the team that there's also I mean they're basically lobbyists, is what they are. Ye, And you just I don't know how you remain if it's down to your team and somebody else? Are you conference? Aren't you going to lean to your conference even though you think that maybe you don't deserve it. That would be human nature and that doesn't lack integrity, that's just human nature. You hope integrity comes into it. Yeah, I'll volunteer. You can put me on that committee tomorrow. I'm in Well, we'll send the card up to to Dallas. I have a hunch like Augusta and probably that's probably gonna get denied. Yeah, I mean, I'm probably not going to get that top thirteen. Ye all right, Although my teammate Randall McDaniel in Minnesota, I believe, was on that committee last year, two years ago. Last year, and you know rand and it was good. He's an Arizona State guy. But and ironically he's at Arizona State win. But Randall was always next watching. Can you put me on your shoulders a big fellow, and I'll sit right next to you.
Speaker 5: I'll treat all right over return and got a couple of Texans nuggets will head on right here on the Shot Salzburg Show.
Speaker 1: The Shawn Salisbury Show continued.
Speaker 5: Trading away five time Pro Bowl left tackle Laramie Tunsel and plugging in three to four new starters, searching for the best configuration of five blockers to one protect quarterback CJ Stroud and two established the running game. And that's what's interesting about that offensive line last year. Was as good as it was at times in run blocking. I mean they were opening up holes for Joe Mixon left and right. It was in pass protection that CJ some of those downs. I mean, he's barely got the football in his hands, and he's got somewhat bearing down on him already.
Speaker 2: Actually beating him to his setup. And think about the year before, Gordy, what were they good at They ran the ball decent, right right, I mean the opposite, I take that back. They threw the ball really well in Stroud's rookie year. And what was our talk, man, They've got to give him more help running the football. They got to be more physical at the point of attack. Well, that's what its you go get mixing, you become more physical at the point of attack. And now you can't keep your quarterback upright, He chased round and then he's making decisions along the way that aren't normal for him to make that the year before throws it he would always make ball coming out premature. Your head's on a little bit of a swivel, and it becomes a cumulative effect of an offensive line not getting it done the right way. So yeah, man, Now the whole goal is to five guys. They don't have to be superstars, just solid. But now giving you the best opportunity in the run game in the past game. That's the next level for the offensive line here.
Speaker 5: And week one you will face Brandon Fisk, Jared verse poona Ford I mean Byron Young that that defensive front for the Rams pretty damn strong.
Speaker 2: So and if I'm right now, and we'll make our predictions obviously before the season, aside from Philadelphia, I'm not sure if the Rams are not the team to beat in the NFC this year. They're they're they're really good. I'm just now Stafford uh slow start to camp as far as they're they're resting him, giving him a little bit of a rest to start camp. I mean, he's not fully I think I saw it was yesterday the start of camp. It's just going to be working him in and making sure he's ready to go. But the Rams, you know who's the forty nine ers? We got Philadelphia, the Washington Commanders are a team to be reckoned with, obviously. So you start to look around the league and they're coming out of the shoot against a component I mean component up an opponent that's got good components to their team. The Rams are a definite threat this year. They just are. And think about it, Gordy, aren't they a drive a red zone series away from getting to the super Bowl against Philadelphia? Yeah? I mean they were literally that close last year. So this is a team is pretty damn good, and you're gonna get tested pretty early and see how that happens. But there's no rest. You've got to come out and you're going to have to hit them in the mouth because they're front seven is pretty damn good.
Speaker 5: Couldn't you say the Texans were one or two good drives away from pulling it off up in Kansas?
Speaker 2: They absolutely can. For a Kansas City Chiefs offen, how's this for a team that went fifteen to two in their offense? Was during the regular season fairly pedestrian until it came time to win in one score games and winning, and the Kansas City Chiefs did that. But yes they were. And that's why the fine line, and I'll always say it, Gordia, it never comes down to one play now kicker snap hooks a field goal at the end. We always say it's one play, but it's six, seven, eight plays along the course of a game that you could go back in the second court and say, you know what, we were third and a half yard and we went forward on fourth down and we couldn't move the ball a half yard at the twenty seven yard line. We left three points on the table and we didn't get a first down on two plays running the ball for a half yard. There's two plays right there, so it's never the last one, but six r eight plays change it, and there you have it. A series or two against Kansas City. If the narrative shifts or the performance shifts, the Houston Texans are moving on to what would have been what the to the to the AFC Championship game.
Speaker 5: As Aaron points out in his piece, he says, you know Jake Andrews start at start at center in mini camp, it was Jared Patterson last year starter back at center. Massive rookie second round Pickianta Ersiri was at right tackle ahead of Blake Fisher, who was first team offense in mini camp but struggled last season. So Ersrie is in there. And then a left side it was Cam Robinson and Laken Tomlinson. Titus Howard, arguably the top lineman of the group, lined up at his new right guard spot. This whole O line being overseen by Cole Popovich, who has promoted from assistant on line coach to head offensive line coach this year.
Speaker 2: Gordy, haven't we seen Titus Howard who came in as a left tackle and he's right tackle. The only position he hasn't played his center, I've seen it. Now, left guard, he's played right guard, he's played left hand. Now that's we talk about. Hey, give me a swing offensive lineman that can do both. But that a guy wh's played four positions, it'd be nice to have his right hand in the dirt with a right handed stance. Sitting at guard for seventeen games would be really nice to see because the constant mixing and matching and puzzle piece has become a problem. That's the last unit you want rotating players. He may need a guy for a banged up injury in the fourth quarter of a game or coming in when you go jumbo personnel that you're using a tackle as a tight end. But of all the positions, continuity, give me those five cats up front, even more so than a quarterback receiver, because you're running a curl. The curls the curls a curl. But those guys in sync, good of them. No pun intended with the boy band, but if you're that in sync, you'll have a chance. So it'd be nice to see the continuity where it's not mix and match for twelve it'd be like having one hundred and fifty lineups in baseball. Now, if you can get the same result Joe Spotty gets, I'm in. But that's not usually the case. With an offensive line that's constantly shuffling people. You got to get settled in up there, because when the offensive line on any team is a bell cow for you, the rest of the team's better. And it's just a different attitude among players. I've been on teams with both, and the teams with good offensive lines set a bigger tone than anybody would have on the perimeter. Doesn't matter who the quarterback of the wide receiver is, just don't get him killed out there.
Speaker 5: One more Texans note ibacker Christian Harris not practicing but active as team rans some up to get started at camp. Missed the majority of last season. Getting Christian Harris back healthy with the addition of EJ. Speedback there, I think this lineback and core can be much better.
Speaker 2: That because you already know you're going to pressure up front. You've got bookend guys. Linebackers can run and they're nasty, and it's as good a young secondary, and it's a top five, top three secondary in the league. That defense will be the tone setter. Now, you just need the offensive line to match their physicality. The rest will take care of itself because he got some backs, so that they're going to expect you to be physical upfront, because hell, the two most physical guys on the team offensively may very well be your number one and two running back. Offensive line needs to match their intensity and physicality if they're going to get where they want to go, and that's not just to a divisional game.
Speaker 5: When we come back. We'll wrap things up here this Thursday. Sean Salisby's sha right here on Sports Talks of the Night.
Speaker 1: This is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 4: Sales.
Speaker 2: That's goodiful, there'll be some great life for some new people. Sandler is, you know, obviously loyal to a lot of good people.
Speaker 5: And the crazy part of this on they filmed that, they filmed it up a good bit of it up in Canada and listening to David Spades podcast, they were that same summer they were filming Spade and Farley were filming Tommy Boy yep, while Sandler was filming Happy Gilmourt.
Speaker 2: Yeah crazy to think that crazy and too, I can't. I mean, when you think about those guys and now we don't. And you obviously know how close Sandler and Farley were, you know, but to do that, and the success of both movies, and the fact that we probably are looking for a Tommy Boy too, but you don't try to emulate finally on that, you can't do that. Matter of fact, I don't think Sandler ever would for that very reason.
Speaker 5: Well, I heard there was a sailor said recently they had a script for Happy Gilmore two that they had been in the works for a while, and it was going to be a spin off of It was going to be Chubbs played by Carl Weathers, Right, his who dies in the first one, Right, but he makes appearances to Happy from Heaven. Right, It was gonna be Chubbs's son is now a PGAT golfer and he wants revenge on Happy Gilmore for killing his dad.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, And there was gonna be this whole.
Speaker 5: Storyline, and it was gonna be Carl Weather's appearing from Heaven and all this. Well, when Carl Weathers died they had to scrap that whole storyline. They're like, well, we can't. What are we gonna do now we don't have Chubbs it's exactly right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but I would imagine the script's final was talking to Swartzon about that too. They've been at work for a long time and he finally got talked into it because nothing's passing through the Happy Madison group unless the big Man decides that we'll do a sequel, yeah, or we'll do another one, or we'll do a second one. And I'm glad he signed a few years.
Speaker 5: It was like a ten movie deal that.
Speaker 2: I told you, Gordy dry Break. That's a He's a cash cow for them. He always has been, because it's at the back end of the mood, you know, all the the redo's and the points and the stuff they get and the video all and Netflix. Netflix was the perfect, the perfect after all the COVID stuff and stuff for Sandler and their group to go into because they pump them out and dude, they're walking around there. All those guys are such talented riders, you know. Swardson's always telling me, man, I put this on Sandler's desk, so we got this. Hey, I want you to write this part of this. Can you do that? I Mean, it's just constant and it's like it's organized chaos. Around there, but when they finally get it all on paper, it ends up being really good. So they had I can't wait to see.
Speaker 5: This Sandlor with the movie deals, they have, Stranger Things, Narcos, Daredevil, Yeah, Netflix doing pretty good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're doing all right. Yeah. And there's a big one of the bigger officers in there, I'm sure is the guy who's pumping out Happy Gilmore. And just as one of us, you're like, oh, that's Sandler. He's probably got a polo shirt on and cargo pants ready to go play hoops today to celebrate the release of Happy Gilmore. And I wish him luck and hopefully after this clears, we can get him on, you know, because he's doing the whole car wash, get him on to kind of talk about the post stuff because he's one of the all time best, and I know that this was something that meant a lot to him thirty years into it. Hopefully it'll have the same success as the first one.
Speaker 5: Sean Salisburn is one of the all time best. His show's over here. You'll be back tomorrow. Cole Thompson will be with you and sleep in a little tomorrow to try to sleep. We deserve thanks for these two days. Brother, appreciate it, Triple appreciate you. The Matt Tommy Show with Ross Come on your way ex right here on Sports Talks of a Night
Speaker 2: Now