Speaker 1: Alrighty, it is time.
Speaker 2: What's going on on a Monday drivetime. It's about nine minutes past the hour of two o'clock on this Monday afternoon.
Speaker 1: It's chilly, but it is nice.
Speaker 2: The sun is shining here and downtown Salt Lake City a ton as it is every single day.
Speaker 1: It's good to have you along for the rides. Sense check.
Speaker 2: It's beyond the micro porter, Larson behind the glass. We are off and running on this Monday afternoon with just a ton to get to. Of course, the bulk of our coverage will be rival Re Week. Anybody who talks into a microphone this week, whether.
Speaker 1: It's on radio or TV.
Speaker 2: I've already counted four daffy ducks walking watching some of the local stuff over the weekend. Rival Re Week said that in front of my mirror twenty times. But I'm sure I will mess it up once or twice between now and Saturday. But I just got to say right off the top, I love this week. I love the energy of the week. I'm excited to be on air this week.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you, appreciate you making us a part of it.
Speaker 2: I know you have a lot of options. We'll get you ready for the game. We've got great guests scheduled all week long, starting with a couple of really good guests today.
Speaker 1: We'll get to that in a moment.
Speaker 2: But for the one hundred and second time, Utah and BYU play football on Saturday night inside Rice Ecles Stadium, of course, eight fifteen Mountain time is your kick.
Speaker 1: We'll have you covered with pregame Porter Larsen and.
Speaker 2: A cast of characters live from the ESPN seven hundred tailgate lot of Guardsman's Way, Come on up and see us prior to the game. Porter is gonna get rolling at four fifteen four hours a pre game coverage for Utah BYU coming up on Saturday night, and there's a lot at stake for both teams in very different ways. So BYU at this point is a four point favorite. The official spread open at five. It's moved down one point towards the University of Utah. You're over under his forty one point five money line for those of you that are into such things, minus one ninety on BYU. So what the line is telling us is there's not a lot of confidence either way in a rivalry game. Typically, if you see a five point spread for the team that's on the road, you jump on that. But the fact of the matter is Utah football has not shown enough to have a lot of confidence, and.
Speaker 1: You can field around the community.
Speaker 2: So we'll get into it today and we'll attack it from every different angle. Of course, as we do on the show, we keep our eyes on our other local in state products.
Speaker 1: I do not know when the Utah Jazz are gonna win.
Speaker 2: A basketball game. They're on the road for three more games. It's Chicago, Milwaukee, San Antonio. They come home for Phoenix. In Dallas, they're on the road against the Kings and the Cliffs, the Lakers, the Spurs home against it.
Speaker 1: I'm not kidding.
Speaker 2: This could be like an OO to twenty five team, and I'm here for it.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: I know that bums a lot of people out, but the best time to do this was two years ago. The second best time is now. So a little jazz basketball on the show today. RSL saw its season come to a horribly disappointing end in Minnesota.
Speaker 1: Both games went to pks.
Speaker 2: RSL lost both, So a season that we saw a single season record for both goals scored and points accumulated comes to an end. And now we find out what's next. Pablo has two years left on his deal. I'm sure my man's gonna be back. I don't know what you do as far as some of the personnel decisions that did not pay off at all. You know, it was odd to watch the new acquisition step up to the penalty spot and all missed their kicks on the road. So a interesting offseason head for RSL. Third straight year out in PK's third straight year out in the first round of the postseason. So RSL season comes to a close. The Utah Hockey Club had an up and down week. They're going to be an action against Winnipeg tomorrow. Winnipeg is the best team in the Central Division. They've only lost once. Utah Hockey Club has lost five of their last six, most recently on the road at Vegas four to three.
Speaker 1: So Winnipeg tomorrow.
Speaker 2: A chaotic, crazy weekend in college football, both in the Big Twelve and nationally. When we last spoke, there were eight unbeaten teams in college football. Now there's only five, and of course Bringham Young is one of them. We told you a Texas Tech Iowa State. Keep an eye out for that one. In Iowa State got God at home.
Speaker 1: Is Houston good? I don't know?
Speaker 2: Is anybody good or bad of the Big Twelve? I don't know, but Houston bk State at home. Arizona State went to Stillwater and just beat up on the worst team in the conference, which is wild Mike gun do you like prior to this year he never loses at home. Now he can't win, not even one conference game. UCF stomped Arizona and Baylor got a nice win for David rand at home over TCU, but upsets both in the Big Twelve and nationally as well.
Speaker 1: A couple of more unbeatens went down.
Speaker 2: Oregon is the best team in the country, deservedly, so Ohio State got a nice win and Happy Valley over Penn State cam Ward Man. Miami continues to roll, but when you look at some of the upsets. Clemson lost that home to Louisville, knocking them down a pig or two. Indiana remains clean. They just smoke bad teams, but they're undefeated. SMU with a good one over Pit which looks good for Brigham Young.
Speaker 1: But a big upset is Texas.
Speaker 2: A and m lost on the road to South Carolina, so if you're a Utah fan, the one thing that gives you a little bit of hope for Saturday is chaos every weekend in both the Big Twelve and in college football, because, as I said, the data at this point indicates that the by is the better team. I don't know who could argue that right now, right, so we'll get to it. Your Week nine in pro football wraps up tonight with a little Monday Night football. You can hear it on our radio station when we say good night. Kansas City welcomes in Tampa Bay. The Chiefs are getting nine points. The over under is forty five point five. All right, happy Monday. Hope you had a great weekend. It's kind of a nervous week, right, you can field the underlying energy and the anxiety. We've got rivalry week, we've got an election upon us, and the cold weather is here as we've earned our calendars to November. Right off the top, we're going to be in Smitty today. Richard Smith will stop by as we do every Monday throughout the college football season. In case you did not hear they head ball coach FDU coach Wit we'll bring that back as media availability. The latest on the quarterback situations, some thoughts on BYU. So we'll bring in coach Win in case you missed it, and then we'll bring on Kilanie Satake live on the program. We're going to interview BYU's head coach and good friend of mine, former defensive coordinator at the University of Utah.
Speaker 1: That's my guy, you know.
Speaker 2: So when it comes to some of this rivalry stuff, I know, the competition can kind of overwhelm you a little bit, but when it comes to the actual personalities, you should know that, at least from my vantage point, most of the people that I've been able to get to know on both BYU and.
Speaker 1: Utah side are good people.
Speaker 2: So as Colannie says, wishing bad things on good people is bad for the soul. I don't know if Colonie said he said something like that, I'm paraphrasing.
Speaker 1: So Klanie's going to stop by the show today.
Speaker 2: Then Josh Furlong and covers the utes or KSL we'll roll by as well. So a little bit of everything on the show with a heavy lean towards BYU and Utah. Coming up on Saturday here in saut Lake City. It's supposed to be cold but clear as of now about forty five degrees a kickoff with clear skies that it is Utah, we could get a seismic snowstorm blowing in thirty minutes before kick You never know. So Oh, by the way, college basketball, it's like here, Utah women played today, the Utah Men play tonight.
Speaker 1: Watch Duke.
Speaker 2: You don't have a choice if you watch college basketball.
Speaker 1: Duke's on ESPN every night. But watch Cooper Flag. This is the deal.
Speaker 3: Guys.
Speaker 2: What the Jazz are doing is hard, but the payoff could be great if Lady Luck finally shines upon them. So Richard Smith, Kyle Whittingham, Kladie Satake, Josh Furlong, Me Spence Check, it's all of you, the great listeners and Porter Lars from the producer.
Speaker 1: Of the show.
Speaker 2: On a Monday, you can kind of feel the axis here in Salt Lake. You can feel the underlying energy and anxiety. I love this week, I always have. But a lot of people don't like the anxious feel you know, yeah.
Speaker 4: And I'm with you. You can feel it a little bit. You can definitely feel it up at the the Spence and kleone Ekles Football facility, which I was at this morning. And that's part of the plan, right, that's that's part of the process. Is games like this, whether it's big stakes or usually just rivalries. Right, it's either a big game, a bowl game, a conference title game, or a rivalry game in college football. They bring a different level of urgency, a different level of pressure, a different feel, and you definitely get that this week. And as you mentioned, other things going on as well. So yeah, it's a little tense, but.
Speaker 1: Sports radio isn't. We can have fun out here.
Speaker 2: Wait a second, are you telling me that building is named after Spence Ecles Yes.
Speaker 1: Not check its so after all these years, I know.
Speaker 2: I just felt like they liked the show, wanted to give you a little pub and they smacked it on there. It makes sense. He probably donates more money than I do a little bit. All right, let's get to it. Excited for this On a Monday, Richard Smith will be our first guest. But before we get the Smitte Curtis of our friends at Standard Restaurant Supply, go to Standard Restaurant dot com or stop by their convenient location here in Salt Lake City on a Monday.
Speaker 1: It's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 5: Welcome to the Drive with Spence check it's on Utah's number one sports talk now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Standard Restaurant Supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply thirty five hundred south West Temple.
Speaker 2: For the one hundred and second overall time, Utah and BYU will play football coming up on Saturday night, first time in three years. Last time, of course, BYU broke a nine game losing streak, and for the first time since twenty eighteen, BYU will be here at rice Ecles. BYU has not been Utah in Salt Lake since two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: But as I said, the last time.
Speaker 2: These two played, as we know, BYU got the better of it and there couldn't be more at stake in different ways in my estimation.
Speaker 1: So let's dig into it, Okay.
Speaker 2: So, first of all, the line opened up with BYU minus five, So Vegas essentially is saying with a you generally allow the home team a three point built in advantage just for being at home. So what Vegas is saying is they think BYU is a little bit more than a touchdown better than Utah football on a neutral field this year, and obviously the home stadium advantage comes into play. The spread moved pretty quickly to four, and I actually was anticipating because the nature of this game and BYU being on the road, then a lot of people would jump on that five and move it to maybe two and a half or three. But it has stayed steady at four for about thirty six hours. Okay, So what that means is there's not a lot of confidence from people who study this stuff to try to make money and don't give a rip about blue or red in Utah. Okay, that's what the line is telling us. Most people that are betting on this game don't believe that Utah is the right side. Now, not a lot of people are betting on BYU. Obviously hasn't moved in their direction. But it's essentially a static line and I wouldn't touch it just because of the nature of this game. Now, the data that we have in hand just indicates BYU is not just better, but they're much better. Okay, that's what we have seen on tape so far. That's what the numbers tell us. Okay, So, if you're just talking about two football teams, and if you're just breaking down what we've seen, BYU needs to and should for anybody who's analyzing it, get the tip of the cap for what they've done so far eight and o five and zero in conference, and after a chaotic weekend behind us, Brigham Young is the only undefeated team in the Big Twelve.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're gonna get into a couple.
Speaker 2: Of elements here about what the weekend behind us means now for BYU, because the fact of the matter is BYU could still get got and most likely make the conference championship game. And honestly, when you look at the way the schedules are kind of unfolding, there's a really good chance that the two teams playing for the Big Twelve championship will be Brigham Young in Colorado. We'll get to more of that in a moment, but what a matchup that would be. Okay, So, again, if you're just analyzing the two teams without the dynamic of what this game means to people, BYU certainly has the edge and what Kilani has done, and of course this is not a surprise because as Kilani himself talks about, he really learned how to do this under coach Wit, and he learned how to coach defensive football under coach Win. And Kalani has taken Kyle's playbook and he is out kyled Kyle. I mean, that's what's happening. BYU is out Utah ing Utah right now, and you give him a ton of credit for what they've been able to do. Okay, so they could ultimately get got by Utah on Saturday and still march on to play in and potentially win a Big Twelve Championship.
Speaker 1: Now, the other thing, the chaos in the.
Speaker 2: Big Twelve is done, has really dampened the reputation of this conference around college football. If you're listening to any of these analysts, now, this is a one big, one big league period, end of story. So even if Utah enters the Big Twelve, or excuse me, even if BYU enters the Big Twelve Championship with one loss, it sounds like they're gonna have to win that game because there's not a partner that could essentially allow this conference to get two teams in. We thought it could be Iowa State, but they got God, they lost, and that leaves BYU as the only undefeated Big Twelve teams. So ultimately, while this would be a dent for BYU if they lose to Utah, it is not a kill shot at all. So there's this whole thing like Utah plays spoiler. Utah could spoil an undefeated season, but Utah at this point could not spoil BYU's chances to go play for a Big twelve championship.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of off the table.
Speaker 2: And as I said earlier, there's a lot at stake for both these teams in much different ways.
Speaker 1: FORYA.
Speaker 2: Of course, it is as they used to call it, the quest for perfection and continues because how nice would they twelve and oh season be And how nice would you know, a chance to go down to Dallas and play in the Big twelve Championship for BYU in their second year in the Big Twelve.
Speaker 1: How nice would that be for them?
Speaker 2: And then potentially a first round by in the CFP, and if we get really really crazy, potentially hosting a home playoff game at Lavell Edwards Stadium. All things that we were saying about Utah. Oh, I don't know about four four and a half five months ago. That's all on the table for BYU. Okay, for Utah, what's at stake is it's much different. Okay, Now, look, the only thing worse for a college football program with the expectations that Utah has as a result of what Kyle has built. The only thing worse for the Utes then playing in a throwaway bowl game is not being eligible for one. And Guys, if they lose on Saturday, I'm not sure they get to six. We had two yes last week predict Utah's not going bowling, But the way the schedule has played out, everything, it's still Seinfeld upside down Bizarro world. The way the schedule has played out, they really have four difficult.
Speaker 1: Games left to get two.
Speaker 2: Okay, and I have a hard time believing based off of what we've seen that Utah can go to Boulder and get a Colorado team. And you got to give Dion credit, man, they are much better and improved year over year than they were a year ago.
Speaker 1: For sure, Iowa State just lost.
Speaker 2: But at this point, again, if you just go off the numbers in the data, I think Iowa State's gonna come in here as a favorite. As of now, things could change over the course of a couple of weeks. Then you're on a short week after Thanksgiving against a UCF team that's just another one of these big twelve teams that could probably get you if you're not if you're not right on that day. You know, ultimately that's what this conference has manifested as. But outside of the okay, keep bowl ill eligibility alive. Outside of the okay, get your rival, you know, based off of BYU's undefeated season, give them their first loss. This might also be the last chance for these players who will not be here next year, whether it's guys graduating, guys transferring, to endear themselves to a community that honestly right now is pretty down on the squad. Okay, So like for a ute fan, and as we've talked about, if you pull up either by you or Utah's roster, you can do it right now. If you're online at work, you see Florida, California, Virginia, you see players from all over the country. Meaning if you are an eighteen year old from Texas BYU, Utah probably didn't reverberate with you at all throughout the course of your life. So maybe a lot of these players don't fully understand what this thing is all about, but Kyle does.
Speaker 1: Morgan, does you know all those.
Speaker 2: Guys up there do a lot of them played in it, ironically, some of them on the other sidelight coach with. So what the coaches are tasked with now is basically instilling in these young men over the next you know, five six days, this might be your last chance to be great in front of this community in a way where you will always be remembered. That's what a big time performance against b YU means for Utah football players. That's why we remember the Eddie Johnson's and the Scott Mitchells and the Brandon Burton blocks and Brett Ratliffe coming out of nowhere like that's why you remember Johnny Harlean.
Speaker 1: That's why you remember Max Hall and Austin.
Speaker 2: Coley and all the names and fourth and eighteen and Beck to Harlean and block kicks and three field goals and students rushing the field and a guy in suspenders trying to front Bronco Menen Hall and BYU fans yelling at Kyle's wife like that's beer being poured on people all the time, even though there's no beer in the stadium. Somehow it gets poured on people all the time, Like we talk about this game in such a way that if you happen to be at the top of your game at the right moment on Saturday, yes, we'll always look back on the season as, wow, how did that get away?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: All of us locally, nationally, everybody thought Utah would be where BYU is. There's something close to it and that can't change. Okay, so there's no use in existing in the four game losing streak space. But what could shift on Saturday is the way you respond in the biggest sporting event we have in our state and be great for one day and go beat that team one time, and people around here will talk about this team a little bit differently, even though everything we thought would be on the table is not all right, We're going to continue this conversation throughout the course of not just today, but throughout the week. The rivalry game will carry the bulk of our coverage, But there are other things going on of course here Locally. We have an NBA team that is struggling, struggling mightily. We have a hockey team that's struggling a little bit we have a soccer team that's no longer playing soccer, but college basketball is going on as well, and so we'll bring Smitty in coming up on the other side. Uh too, We'll bring Smitty in coming up on the other side to do a little jazz. But I want to get his take on Utah b Yu as well. Great Quincy Jones passed away at the age of ninety one. I don't know that Michael Jackson should have been the lead off. Based off all the options we have, We're gonna play artists that Quincy Jones had a hand.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe we ease off the the mj.
Speaker 4: Hey, to be clear, what was the first one you mentioned? Also, we got the radio play here. I gotta I gotta dig into the uh the uh the records to get some of the Quincy Jones ones. They're not they're not giving me any very many options.
Speaker 1: On who Sinatra. Okay, but hey, but look Charles Ray, Charles Hey, look, I'll I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: Occasionally, Ignition by R. Kelly comes on my playlist and I'm like, what do you want?
Speaker 1: It's a good song. What do you want me to do? You're dancing to? So you know what? Hello? Smitty. Let's get turn on Smitty's Mike here, let's get Smitty.
Speaker 6: Dialed a way.
Speaker 7: What is what what should do with Michael Jackson?
Speaker 1: Maybe you haven't googled it in a minute. Uh, hey, just gonna I'm gonna back away from the Quincy Jones Michael Jackson.
Speaker 7: That was That's one of the old time most successful partnerships.
Speaker 2: And I'm not talking about how many how many records he sold. Man, his success is not arguable. We're on the same page with that one.
Speaker 7: Hey, no, no, no, no, but hey, all you have to do is play anything from the Uh what was the documentary that came out in the in the last year on Netflix with the the.
Speaker 1: One where they all got together? That was good. By the way, we'll play we Are the World. We can do that. That one's safe.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But Quincy Jones, I mean a legend passed old No.
Speaker 7: And he was he was such a such an icon in in the music industry and uh and then at a time when when he was able to assert his leadership in the music industry with a lot of uh uh non new artists but also established artists who wanted to come and work with him, and he had a long run of success, and that's that's very sad to hear of his.
Speaker 2: Passing, certainly, So that's gonna be the musical theme on the show today. We'll try to rebound from our awkward start. Richard Smith, you are a number of different things. You are a basketball savant, you are a longtime member of the Utah Jazz. You are a former baseball All Star and competitive softball outfielders extraordinaire. But you're also a man in our community that has been kind of ingrained in the fabric of our sporting culture. And this is a unique week, right like Utah BYU football one hundred and second meeting first time in three years. BYU breaks their nine game losing streak a couple of years back. They have not won in Salt Lake since two thousand and six, and we have two teams heading in completely different directions. The nature of rivalry games, it's always been an interesting topic to me because if you ever played in one, and I never played for anything, it mattered. But if you play throughout the course of your high school or AAU career and the other school is your rival, it feels different. It always does. I love the energy. I think it's a lot of fun. As a man who's been to a lot of these games, what do you make of what we could see on Saturday?
Speaker 7: Well, you know what's exciting about this, first of all, is that if we just go back a few months, right in July, when all the pre hype and all that stuff is taking place and everything before the season even started, if you looked at the game on the schedule this Saturday on November ninth, you would have thought, Okay, they're going to go into that game Utah is probably going to be eight to oh and BYU is probably going to be four and four.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 7: That would have been the projection in July, And now you get here this week, the script is completely flipped. And that's one of the great things, as we always talk about UH sports being live theater, that you know, you can practice, you can do all the stuff that people do on Broadway right for their theater presentation, and then when the curtain goes up in the theater, you know what's gonna happen because you have a script and you follow it, and you know who's gonna who's gonna get married to who at the end of the musical and whatever. But in sports, you do all the same preparation and then the curtain goes up and you have no idea what's gonna take place in the next couple hours, you know, And so that's what makes it always exciting.
Speaker 1: And and of course this week.
Speaker 7: With the flip of the scripts and b Yu, you know, running running away with a lot of stuff right now in terms of the conference and what's happening there and the position they are in and Utah you know, stumbling and and and being the place.
Speaker 1: That they're in.
Speaker 7: It just makes it more more exciting to discuss it, which I know this radio station will do odd nauseum all all week long. And we'll talk about the same quarterback issues you want to.
Speaker 1: Talk about, the jazz you want to tell, we'll talk about We'll talk George, can't you.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, Smitty, we are going to cover Utah EYU football from every single.
Speaker 1: As as it should be. Yeah, I'm just saying, but it's going to be.
Speaker 7: And how about you, how about you and Porter and whoever whoever was responsible for getting Kalanie Satake on. I'm like the opening act for the guys.
Speaker 1: Yes you are.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm even in the same stage. But you know, well, look here, you've got Kyle Whitningham lived here. How many years mid I've been here forty three years.
Speaker 2: This is home for you now, even though you go back to the high school in you know, in the soft part of Connecticut where I didn't grow up, But.
Speaker 1: This is home.
Speaker 2: So it's it's it's really the only thing that we have. Where we got Thanksgiving coming up. There are split tables. You know, people are watching this game with anxiety, so they don't walk into elder's corn and their b YU Google brought. You know, the dude in their ward is wearing his blue tie and his blue suit and he's gonna give you the crap.
Speaker 1: So it it's the only thing we have in the state. The causes that dynamic.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, you know, and and uh in our house, Uh, my wife uh is a b y U grad And I worked at the U for a lot of years when I first came to Salt Lake, when I was working both at the University of Utah and and with the jazz and and we have one of those flags that I think is I don't know if it's been outlawed or you can't get them now.
Speaker 8: Or what think?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, one of those flags where it's down the middle and it says, you know, uh, I forgot even what's on the flag?
Speaker 1: Split split house or something or whatever.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 1: The ones i've seen have both logos.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, well this has yeah, this has BYU logo on half and the UTAH logo on half. And it said, oh, you know what the word is on the label of the flag is house divided.
Speaker 1: That's what it is. Yes, yes, And so that's what we have.
Speaker 7: And and we'll have that flag up tonight for this week and then it'll be it'll be fun.
Speaker 2: Well, and you and I were talking about something off air that I think is a worthwhile on air conversation, because I know this week hits some people much differently and they don't like it. They don't like the anxiety, they don't like the dissension, they don't like the heated exchanges. Now, I don't live online, so we'll let the message board people do the message board people thing. And I don't know how much of that really permeates in real life, honestly, don't. I feel like the people that don't like this week are talking about the mean thing somebody will say online about them, which shouldn't matter at all. But like I said, you also get the church back and forth. You know, obviously plenty of both you alumni and students and you know, bring them young, the majority of them being LDS. But there's a religious element to this thing. It doesn't exist in very many other rivalries, and it does add to it, you know what I mean, because there's always this feeling of well, if BYU won, it's because they're living right and God loves them. And if you tell one they got lucky because they're all sinners. Like, there's always this there's this weird thing that kind of ties into it that makes it unique in a way that I think is a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: But some people don't really enjoy it.
Speaker 7: Well, I think that, and I think a good layer of the uniqueness spence is that within that church dynamic, you have the people who are by U supporters, who are you know, uh, largely members of the ld S church. But you also have a good section of active l d S people who are Utah fans, and so you have the b y U people. This is this is my perspective. Now, over the years, you have the b YU fans who look at the the l D S Utah fans and wonder, well, why why you over there? You know with that group? You should you should be over here with us. This is where you where you should be. And the people who are members of the l D. S Church and and uh uh support the you and a big Utah fans.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 7: The b YU fans can't understand why they would they would be in that put themselves in that position. So that to me, that's always added another layer. And even you know, you know, you know we just mentioned the house divide. You have a lot of you know, like the the the Wilson family, you know, Zach and I and and and is said Wilson you know, their family grew up big Utah fans and all the time and and supported them season tickets and all that stuff. And then and then Zach ends up going to b YU mainly because the you didn't think he was good enough and didn't.
Speaker 1: Really you know, recruit him. And uh.
Speaker 7: And then so you have that kind of stuff where even within the house you have people who are rooting and had different rooting interests. So that that's what puts another layer to me. You're talking about the church thing and and uh and and people having a loyalty split that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it's well said. It is funny how b y U fans you And we're generalizing here, So before I get a bunch of dms and emails, everybody to take a few deep breathts.
Speaker 1: We're just generalizing.
Speaker 2: But there is this faction of the BYU fan base that simply just views anybody that is LDS and decided to go apostate Utah with judgment. Then there's this faction of the Utah fan base that's LDS that looks down on the BYU fans is pious and holier than now right and all mine, and it just it ties into this dynamic that makes it so interesting and attending to it. Look, I'm not going to say it's the only college football rivalry that's like this, but Jay Hill, Siona Pua, Utah grats, Aaron Roderick Kaloni Setake, former Utah coaches, Kyle Whittingham, former BYU player, Like that doesn't happen very many other college football rivalries. So it's kind of the way I like to describe it. It's kind of like this dysfunctional extended family right where at the end of the day. I believe when you're not playing against each other, you want the other to do well. Now, not fans, right like you. There are a lot of you fans that want be why you to lose every game? Right, yeah, to lose every game. But I think like under the family umbrella of coaches and players, it feels like over the years I've mostly witnessed respect all the time, but mostly.
Speaker 7: No, I think I think they do, and I think that's what I has always been the interesting part for me, Spence. The people who are involved in it, the people who are in the circle so to speak, they get it, and they they do it with respect. They understand what the whole thing is. You know that, that's my opinion. The people who are outside the circle, who are the fans looking down from thirty thousand feet or whatever, they're the ones who get all riled up and everything. I wish it would just be you know that you could do it in good fun like you do when you're in a locker room and you're with the guys that you play with and you you tease each other about each other's school, the whey they went and where and how their school is doing, and you do it good naturedly, and it's always for fun and and and you you enjoy it, and you enjoy the back and forth and the teasing and kidding. What happens in this rivalry is that there's too many people who who go the uh, the negative route, and who go, you know, the attacking route, and you know everything's.
Speaker 1: Bad about the other side or whatever it is.
Speaker 7: And that's the part that's a little distasteful for me. I wish people would just like keep it above the line and have fun with it. And you know, because hey, guess what, on on Sunday, the game will be over and on Monday, everybody'll be back to their regular life or whatever. And it doesn't really amount to a lot of things other than hopefully a competitive football game between two familiar schools that the fans are ruining for and can get up for and and have fun with it.
Speaker 1: So a lot of good points in there.
Speaker 2: It felt like the fever pitch and this is just my little echo chamber here, it felt like the fever pitch for hate was at an all time high when Bronco was coaching BYU because Bronco and Kyle like, you got to call that thing how it is you could tell that there was no love lost, and you know, I'm privy to certain things behind the scenes that indicates that they just didn't like each other.
Speaker 1: And that's all right.
Speaker 2: But Bronco was like central casting for why you fans sometimes don't like BYU. He was pious, he was holier than now. He quoted scripture during his press conference. You know, I was down at a BYU event m seeing that i've or I did my show prior to the event down to Thanksgiving point, I've done it three years in a row now, And one of the BYU players told the story of Bronco coming to his house to recruit his son. And this BYU player is a current stake president down South, and he said, Bronco's first question to his kid is what's your favorite scripture? And the guy's like, what are we doing? You're here to recruit him to play football? Right, So Bronco was a perfect face for what you fans perceived BYU to be and b YU fans were mad at Kyle for saying no to his you know, his alma mater and yes to the rival. So it seemed that the fever pitch as far as the hate Goes was at an all time high when those two were at it because Ronnie Mack and Level loved each other, Yes, and you could feel it.
Speaker 1: Urban came over.
Speaker 2: He invented Team down South and that's a stolen you know, and so you know that played into it. Utah was awesome, but it felt like after Klanie got the job, Kilane, to me, deserves a lot of the credit for what I perceived to be a little bit more civility among the two fan bases since he took the job.
Speaker 1: That's my prism. Yeah, and I would agree with that. You know, kilani.
Speaker 7: Is is such a first and foremo, such a good person, centered person. He understands the whole thing from both sides. He understands what it's all about, you know. And he's also one of these guys who's not full of himself. You know, he's he's doing it, you know, for the right reasons. He's he's coaching his team, he's got him going in a terrific direction trajectory and uh and the way he carries himself and the way he speaks. You know, I think you can't help but like him and root for him because of the way that he that he goes about his business. You know, Kyle's the same way Kyle has you know, isn't full of himself. Kyle, Kyle has for all of his success is uh, you know, really believes and just coming and and and getting to work and trying to do your best and respecting your opponent. And I would hope that this week the fans, as they're as they're engaging each other in that regard heading up to the game Saturday night, or you know, would take the lead from the two coaches and understand, hey, this this should be about sportsmanship and and having a good competitive game and you know, and having fun with and not getting over the line, you know, to the other stuff that really doesn't really serve anybody any good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's nothing that's well said. There's nothing not to like about either Kyle or Koloney. And I can tell you it's real because you know, we're not best friends, but I'm able to get to know them enough where I feel like I have a good read on the type of people they are. All Right, before we catch break one more thing on this and then we'll do a little we will talk jazz coming up. I mean, I don't really know what there is to say, but we'll try to say some things about the team coming up in a little bit. So there are two very different paths with these two teams, as you outlined earlier. For BYU, and it's interesting with a Big Twelve cast, we just saw, this is not an elimination game for Brigham Young, Like I hear a lot of youth fans, well, let's spoil their paths that you can't. Sorry, Like BYU could still and probably is favored to go to the Big twelve championship game no.
Speaker 1: Matter what happens on Saturday night.
Speaker 2: But unefeated season means a lot, you know, if they can enter maybe the CFP undefeated, maybe they have a chance to host a home playoff game in provo, Like there's so many things on the table for them. For Utah, Smidty and you know, for a lot of these players that don't know the intensity of this thing because they haven't experienced it or didn't grow up here Kyle did, Morgan did, like the coaches know it's at stake. So for Utah, I guess what's at steak here is maybe one last chance, Like we're partying like it's nineteen eighty six. Again, it's like one last chance to endear yourself to a community that right now is really bummed out about the way you played. Because if you are great for one day against BYU, you become a legend around here.
Speaker 1: That's got to be what's at stake, right I don't know what else.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's still the bowl game thing, and I guess the only thing worse than playing in a throwaway bowl game is not being eligible for one.
Speaker 1: So two very different dichotomies here.
Speaker 7: No, that's it's a well the rivalry game and wanted to have the bragging rights all winter, you know, for your team is important. It's important for every rivalry game that that that's what that's really what the biggest nugget is. No matter what the circumstances are from from year to year. But for Utah, they're coming into the game playing an undefeated top fifteen, ranked, top ten team, whatever BYU is and whatever pole at the moment, and deservedly so they're playing by an undefeated team. Then next week they have to go to Colorado who's playing very well, and then they come home and they have to play Iowa State, another top top conference team, and then they finish a season at Central Florida, which you would say, oh, well that's not good. That might be an important game for this Bowl eligibility thing. With those games that Utah has in front of them, you know they've got to get to six wins to be Bowl eligible. Yeah, okay, some you know, you just use the phrase or throwaway bowl. Whether you're going to the the Suncoast Bowl or the Alamo Bowl or the you know whatever it is in in UH in Paducaville or wherever it's gonna be, that's still something for a school that wants to keep its record intact and it's string intact, and and having something to play for other than the game in front of in front of you that you have. So so these are all important games for Utah and then you ratcheted up for BYU that's that would love to go undefeated and get to the conference championship game and and see what happens.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: As far as the CFP type situation, so so it's big other than the rivalry aspect of it for both teams.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is all right, before we catch a break, we'll do a little jazz coming up. I looked at the schedule this could be zero to twenty or maybe even worse. Kind of a perfect song, right for a rivalry week. Little we are the World, right, A little let's be united?
Speaker 7: Right, we should all on the chorus. I don't think we're waving our hands back and forth, weighing side to side. Oh I can oh. I love to sing. I sing very badly, just like I love to play golf. But I golf very bad.
Speaker 1: Fair enough.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll uh, maybe we'll bring back you know what, Just play that song all week, We are the World.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody, A few deep brasks. Yeah, it's all good. That's right. Love your brother, love your neighbor. There we go.
Speaker 2: I had a very famous spiritual teacher said that once upon a time it is Indeed, Richard Smith is live in studio doing a little Utah BYU last segment. All right, you know we have you in the top to talk jazz. You spend forty years in the NBA, you spend forty years with the Utah Jazz, and so I guess we will.
Speaker 1: Smitty. I don't know when they're gonna win a game.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've got their schedule pulled up like this is as bad as I think it has been for a long long time, and certainly I'm for it, as you know, because I do think, but I do want like this is really hard, Like what they're doing is really really hard, isn't it.
Speaker 7: Hey, Spence. The whole thing is difficult. It's hard to win in the NBA period. Okay, it's even more difficult to win on a consistent level in the NBA. It's even another tier to try and get near the top where you're competitive enough where you're one of the five, six seven teams each year that has a legitimate chance at actually going deep into the into a playoff run. But this, as we've talked about before, this is exactly what the Jazz set up to do. Nobody wants to be bad bad But at the same time, the Jazz knew what they were doing when they set all this up, when they traded everybody away, when when the coach left town, when they changed everything around, and they knew that at some point they would have to pay the piper, so to speak. And you know this start, you know, hey, think about it. Two years ago, the first year of the so called rebuild, they get out of the gate ten and three, and everybody's going whoa, whoa, wait, this is brilliant, you know whatever, and uh and then you know, it slowly dissipated and uh and went the other way as the season went on. And then last year they had that nice run in the middle of the year after Christmas where they had the best record for like a one month stretch there in the middle of the season, and then they they traded away a couple of guys that trade deadline, and then it fell apart again.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 7: And now they're they're coming out of the blocks the way that you have have asked them to do for the last few years.
Speaker 1: And so you know, and and.
Speaker 7: You're exactly right when you look at the schedule, it's hard to predict where a win is gonna come from there on the road now, continuing this four game road trip in Chicago tonight and then Milwaukee and then finishing San Antonio before they come home and play play Phoenix and Dallas next week. It is a tough road to hoe. And but this is what they've set up to do. And you know it's going to be a very difficult early part of the season. And you're right, it's gonna be hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel for anytime soon.
Speaker 2: And I do not want to diminish the difficult ask that I know this is okay, I just don't see another path. And as you know, being in the front office for as long as you were, paths randomly manifest themselves out of nowhere, okay. And so obviously you leave space for a billionaire owner who's afraid of the second apron and wants to shed talent and is looking for picks and clean books and the.
Speaker 1: Jazz have all that.
Speaker 2: Like, I know that can happen, but the fact of the matter is you can't rely on that. And so from my prism and my seat, the only way to do this is slow and long and hard, and hope you get a little luck around, you know, just at some point, hope you get some lottery luck, or hope Cody's better than we think, or Keyante learns to shoot straight, or whatever all those variables are. But make no mistake, this is a tough ask on the fan base. It's a tough ask on broadcasters to call games, and it's really tough on young players who up to this point have always been the best at what they do where they've been and most of them have probably won high school state championships, played high level aau, did something in college with great success, and now they're getting their heads kicked in every night.
Speaker 1: What's the danger in that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, well, there are a lot of factors there, But you also have to throw in how it affects the coaching staff for sure. For sure and the young coach that the Jazz have and Will Hardy, who by all accounts is very very studious, a very hard working guy. You know, he's trying to formulate a forge I should say, a career early in his coaching career by being a head coach in his mid thirties. And he's got a team that's that's in this situation, and that's tough on him. He's got to be questioning himself night in, night out about you know, the things he's doing. Is he doing the right stuff? Is he handling it the right way?
Speaker 11: Uh?
Speaker 7: Is he balancing minutes? Is he is he doing what the front office wants him to do? And in playing guys in certain positions to to help in their their development and and uh projection as NBA players. I mean, there's so many levels to it. Uh, And and yet the losing permeates the locker room bigger than anything, and and the more the bigger the hole you dig early in the year, the tougher it becomes because as you realize as a group, as you as the as the year evolves, as it goes on, you become more and more a cognizant and accepting of the of the notion that we're not going anywhere with this group at this time.
Speaker 8: We are.
Speaker 7: We have a game tomorrow night, we have a game on Thursday, we have two games on the you know whatever it is, and you're looking at it. When you have a losing record and you're at the bottom looking up and you realize we're not going anyway now, it takes it to another level where the players have to have that that that mental stamina to want to be able to keep coming every day to practice, to try and get better, to try and show how they can contribute to a winning effort. The coaching staff is trying to figure out, you know, how do we keep everybody engaged night in and night out, you know, without losing guys along the way. From a mental perspective, a buy in person, that is the difficult part, and especially in an eighty two game NBA season that when you dig a hole early, it is so hard to get out of and it is so much effort just to try and bring the group along with you, you know, on the journey that that you're you're in the middle of it is.
Speaker 1: It is a tough ask.
Speaker 7: And when you're younger and you don't have the experience, it's even more so because those kind of things can really get embedded in you in terms of how your career is going to evolve as well.
Speaker 2: So let's dig into you know, I always enjoy listening to coaches, right, so, so why I still love listening to Hube Brown if he's on a call of a game.
Speaker 1: I thought Jeff was the best.
Speaker 2: It's so crazy to me that ESPN claim that they didn't want to bring him back because they heard he wanted to get back into coaching. Then they hired Doc who him like three weeks later, then they hired Reddick, who's coaching the Lakers. So like Doug Collins on the broadcast or Steve Kerr, you know, like whenever I can listen to a coach, I like to listen to coaches, and will has been really interesting to listen to after games, because he doesn't say that as the kids would say the quiet part out loud per se. But he is speaking now in a different way that he's spoken over the past couple of years, saying things like, well, eventually we need to get to where we want to be, and if we're ever going to get there, we can't lean on excuses for now, like he is speaking in a future tense way after games that he hasn't prior to, but ultimately knowing coaches, and you got to know the best that we had to the two best that we had here in Frank and Jerry. If you got Will in an honest moment, what do you think he'd say? This has to be eating him alive. They don't have a prayer, they don't have a chance. He doesn't have the tools. He does not have the players will hundred and look, they picked up his fifth year option, okay, meaning it's two years of options that are picked up.
Speaker 1: This is your three. He's safe next year, he's safe the year after.
Speaker 2: But if this thing doesn't get turned around, he's gonna have a resume with a lot of losses on it.
Speaker 7: And coaches don't love that. That's right, And and that's the hard part for him and his career. He's trying to build a career. He's trying to show, you know, the rest of the league and the basketball world you know that hey, I know what I'm doing, and you know I can learn if I go along, and I can get better, and I know how to manage players, and I know how to you know, deal with in game strategies and all those kinds of things that go into coaching, uh, being a head coach. But when you have a group like this and a group that's struggling and you can tell this's going to be a long road, that that weighs on you mentally. And that's the biggest thing is trying to keep your perspective. He's not coming from a background where, uh say, I don't know who who maybe maybe JB. Bickerstack, who's the coach in Detroit. Now they have a they have a team that's similar to the Jazz, a young team that that's gonna struggle for a while that they're trying to build up.
Speaker 1: But JB has has.
Speaker 7: A track record in the past, especially the last job he had in Cleveland where he did very well and and and you can see he's got that that the experience, he's got those games under his belt as a head coach for several years in the league. The people know, Okay, he knows what he's doing. He's just got to get some players and got to massage some stuff and move some pieces around, and eventually we're gonna be on that that track. Will Hardy doesn't have that luxury at the current moment because this is his first head coaching job. So he's coming in and he's uh. First year, they struggle, second year, they struggle, third year, they're just beginning. But but they're out of the gate stumbling to begin with. He's wondering how people are looking at him and how how he's being affected in terms of his career, because I'll tell you, there are a lot of guys who got their their one shot at being a head coach and it didn't work well. People respected them, they thought they were very good at what they did. They liked their work ethic, they liked their temperament, they liked their approach to the job. Didn't have success mainly because you didn't have players, and they lasted three years or four years with their teams. They got to let go and then you never see him again as a head coach. They recycle back into the thing as assistant coaches, and because they're they're well respected within the circles of the coaching fraternity and by by teams and organizations around around the league.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: But sometimes they don't get another shot because of that, because they don't have anything on their resume to show, hey, I've proven that I can do this right. So Will Hardy is in that tough position because, yeah, he's got a couple more years to ride with this group. At least you hope he gets more than that because he looks like he's the right guy, and you just hope he can hold on in terms of his approach, in terms of what he's dealing with as a head coach, night in, the night out, not winning, not winning, not winning, and that it doesn't beat him down because to turn this around, your right spence the draft, if you get a free agent, okay, if you make a trade, okay. Those are the three ways that you can improve your team. Those are the things you can control to some extent. But there's another component we always talk about that is beyond your control that you don't you have no say and what's gonna happen. But something might present itself, as you mentioned a minute ago, and you have to be prepared to react to that, whether it's again another team trying to unload a big time player or trying to unload a salary or something something. But you don't know if that's gonna happen this year before the trade deadline. You don't know if it's gonna happen next year. You don't know if it's gonna happen anytime in the next five years, because those are things that are beyond your control. So you don't know if Golden State's gonna hang it up and want to move some guys at some point, if the Clippers get frustrated and want to move some guys, or you know, whoever it is. And those are the things that are hard for fans to accept because they assume that you as an organization, as an ownership, have control of everything. You just have to push the right buttons and make the right moves. But there is an element out there that are things that are not within your control that you have to be able to UH to react to and be able to UH to make decisions on if and when they become available. And that's that's the big gray area that's always hanging over you that you never know if and when that's gonna happen. Okay, So yeah, and I like, you know, you know Spence right there that that was a perfect no, that was a perfect take because that that that frustrated exhales.
Speaker 1: It is exactly what it is. That's that's what they're going through.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 7: It's it's tough. Uh, it's not pretty. Nobody likes it. The room is always heavy, okay, whether it's practice, whether it's on the team bus, uh, whether it's on a road trip like they're on now, because you're trying to find some ray of light that that tells you, hey, where we can turn this around. We can get better. We need to group together three or four or five games where we feel like, you know, we're clicking, we're doing something moment. And it's early, okay, it's only six games in okay, but the early returns, like the elections, are not probably what it's going to be. But if you want to hang your hat on something, you're looking at seeing the Jazz are still a very bad defensive team. They're a team that so far can't shoot the ball. Okay. They're also a team that doesn't seem to be really well connected, you know, with each other when they're on the floor. They don't have any kind of identity. So when you're dealing with all of those things at the same time, that that is a tough gap. Because sometimes you might have one of those and you can concentrate on that area and try and shore it up somehow. But when you get all of those happening simultaneously and you're trying to juggle all those balls in the air at the same time, it is tough to do and it's tough to manage.
Speaker 2: So since you brought up the election, is it possible just to say the final score is incorrect and we won and just claim the win. I mean, yeah, well, well apparently I don't know what the other option is.
Speaker 7: Well, apparently you can because apparently no matter what the scoreboard says, you said, well they're they're wrong, you know, like, that's that's not right.
Speaker 1: We won, we won the game. Let's just do it. Yeah, So I don't know what's going.
Speaker 2: On there, So let's dig into the six and oh, Utah Jazz all right, So six, Hey, I wasn't there.
Speaker 1: I didn't see the score. You know, don't come at me.
Speaker 2: So I'm gonna draw a parallel here because the fact of the matter is, and you're one of the reasons we are spoiled as jazz fans. We've never won a championship, but we've rarely had bad teams, and when we did, it didn't last long because the front office iterations you were a part of, always made good moves to get us back to competitiveness pretty quick. The last time it was this bad was probably Tie's final year, right, And as you were described, being a coach who gets an opportunity and the roster isn't great or whatever, and it goes sideways and that coach never gets another opportunity. Tyrone Corbin's name popped into my head. And obviously, you know Scotty hired him in New York. You've known him forever. He's the sweetest guy in the world. And Dennis didn't like when I said that when I would use this line on air, because he heard me say it, I was of the opinion the Dennis Lindsay's first day on.
Speaker 1: The job was Tyrone Corbin's last. I just didn't think he was going to rehire him.
Speaker 2: And so you know, obviously players like al who played well here Paul Millsap, who is still a jazz legend, moved off some vets in the name of seeing what you had with youngsters. But that roster is much better than the roster that we're dealing with here. That's why it's a loose parallel. So the rookies were Trey Burke and Gobert. Alec was in his second year, Hayward was in his third, Favors was in his third.
Speaker 1: At players like Jeremy Evans.
Speaker 2: You know, then you bring in vets like Richard Jefferson and Andre Spidron's just to pay somebody to play for you and ultimately you want twenty five that year. But that year was about bringing Marvin Williams, who obviously was a pro while he was here. But that year, Smittye was about, right, like what do we have in Gordon? Is this rudy thing real? And as Canter was on the team, So you had five or six young players like they have now that you were trying to do your calculus like can they be part of this moving forward when we're back to competitiveness, Will they be on the roster. Gordon was obviously fave was as well. The Canter stuff got weird, Rudy was ready to play. You guys move on from Enis. We know the history, but there's some similarities right between thirteen and fourteen and twenty four Yeah.
Speaker 7: Sure, yeah, and you're right, that's that's what was happening at that time. You know, the Golden State thing by the way, you know, you mentioned Richard Jefferson on just Midrinch, the Rush kid, Brandon.
Speaker 1: Russian than Russia was part of that.
Speaker 7: But that was you know, when you look, if you looked at it, you would see that that was probably in NBA Annals, the most lopsided trade ever made in NBA history because the Jazz got those guys who were all on expiring contracts. That's the reason that that the Jazz took them in at that time. Uh, they were gonna they were gonna have that money available the next year. They took that with several draft picks with it to trade for.
Speaker 1: Uh, the the the Murray kid.
Speaker 7: Kevin Kevin Murphy, sorry, Kevin Murphy, who we had we had drafted the second round the year before. All those guys came in and all the Jazz sent out to Golden State was Kevin Murphy who was then cut. And the whole thing for Golden State was opening up all this space for money so that they could uh uh, they could go get Andrea Iguodala. See now, at the time, we thought they were opening up the space to go get uh, Dwight.
Speaker 1: How quick?
Speaker 7: Did Dwight Howard? Was it Dwight Howard was a free agency the Lakers. Yeah, yeah, okay, I didn't know that that's interesting.
Speaker 1: But it was, but it was.
Speaker 7: But it ended up being Andrea Gudala was the guy they were trying to target and get after to put together with Curry and Thompson and Green and uh. And then they took off the whey they did, right, So that's what they were trying to do.
Speaker 1: So the Jazz.
Speaker 7: See, so when you're when you're in that position like the Jazz were at that time, you make a move, you don't give up anything. You're giving up a second round guy who maybe wasn't even gonna be on our team the following year, and and you got you got players who are on expiring contracts, you got draft picks, and you also got money. You got three million dollars thrown in the deal from Golden State and and all of that stuff.
Speaker 1: You know, it was part of.
Speaker 7: Dennis Lindsay's grand plan to try and open up space and try and move some pieces around and hope that at some point, you know, you can you can jump on something that that's gonna help your team, you know, to get forward. Now, what happens in the meantime, Rudy Gobert shows up? Okay, third year, fourth year, Okay, that's what the Jazz now are hoping happens with one of the guys they have on the roster, right, Who is that?
Speaker 1: Who knows who that is? Right?
Speaker 7: The Jazz also use one of the draft picks or the draft pic they end up getting from Denver in the trade on draft night we've talked about before they got them, Donovan Mitchell. And Donovan Mitchell shows up much quicker, much better, much more impactful than we thought he would be right out of the gate. So we were smart, we were good, We were lucky, whatever label you want to put on, it's more luck than anything else. Yes, And so you have all that stuff going on, and that's what the current Jazz are hoping to do. They're hoping that somewhere along the line, somebody clicks, you get an opportunity like that that falls into your lap that you can take advantage of and then uh, and then you keep putting the parts together. The guys they have right now, in my opinion, it looks like they're having trouble connecting with each other, and it looks like they're having trouble just playing with each other. So it doesn't look to me like it's a very good mix of guys. You know, maybe you have some talent, but I'm not sure how well they're playing together. A lot of it also is that a lot of them are in experience and they're and they're stumbling over themselves trying to find their footing. That takes time, and that takes a lot of mistakes that you have to be willing to live through. So that's that's the part that the current jazz are dealing with at this moment. And it's not going to get any easier here in the in the next in the coming months. It's it's it's gonna be a difficult road for them to hope.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard. It is.
Speaker 2: And even though I agree with it and think for the first time since you know, Dennis took off and Quinn and everybody took off and they traded everybody. It feels like they're finally doing the thing. I still do not diminish out what a tough ask this is on everybody involved. All right, somebody, before we set you lose, do you dare give me a Utah b y U final score position?
Speaker 1: Do you dare? Now? You know, you know how I know how I sit on those things, and I'll tell you this. You know what I do think.
Speaker 7: I just think that when I look at it, the roles are reverse from what you thought they were going to be before the season started. Right by U is the undefeated team, the Utah is the team that's muddling around at four and four. It's a perfect scenario for both teams to all of a sudden do something they haven't done this year. In other words, for Utah to put something together where they have a consistent game offensively all game long. For b YU has had some games where you know, they were treading along and it was you know, maybe we've gotta have something happen, and then something good did happen, and that's what happens when you have a special season, the plays break your way when you need them to break your way. And so is that going to continue to happen for b YU or is this going to be the game where they they finally stumble uh and lose a game. I'm not sure losing a game for them, you know, in the grand scheme of things, would be the worst thing for them, because maybe it helps them to refocus, you know, on the on the last month of this conference season. And to your point, I think they're still in the driver's seat, you know, with other things that happened to get to the conference championship game, which is all that matters, because once you get there, as Utah you know showed the last few years with Rose Bowl games, conference games getting to Rose Bowl. You know, once you get into that championship game, you know, anything can happen, like DEVI for the for the you again talking about things breaking your way when they played USC in the conference championship game a few years ago, and and uh and Caleb Williams gets hurt in the quarter and he's stumbling around the rest of the game, and then you takes advantage of it and next thing you know, you wake up next day and they're going to the Rose Bowl, So so it's gonna be. I think it's gonna be. I hope it's a fun game. I hope it's exciting. And I hope those of you are who are brave enough to go sit in the twenty eighth degree weather or whatever on Saturday night at eleven thirty in the fourth quarter are more stout than I am because some of us have gotten old and we've gotten soft.
Speaker 2: Well, Smitty, I don't blame you at all. Always a pleasure to see my friend. We'll see us soon. Okay, thanks man, all right, we got Kilani Kilanie Satake hopping on the show today. Always enjoy my conversations with coach Kilane. He's gonna hop on probably around four o'clock. We're a little fluid with that situation, so we'll bring that to you coming up in just a little bit.
Speaker 1: Josh Furlong covers Utah for Ks.
Speaker 2: That will stop by of course, Rivalry Week, By the way, how are.
Speaker 1: You on your annunciation?
Speaker 2: And I want to be I'm not judging anyone here because over the years I've daffy ducked Rivalry Week like a million times watching the local broadcast last night, getting ready for the week, seeing how they're covering it.
Speaker 1: I heard four or five why will we weeks? They happen? Have you ever got got on this before? I don't know about the the rivalry week one? Why will we week?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's your daffy duck it and we all do it. We've all done it at some point.
Speaker 4: I mean I grew up to be clear with like a pretty gnarly lisp.
Speaker 1: Oh, I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: You can hear it make its way out every once in a while if you pay attention, you probably will now.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: About the the rs or the double up there.
Speaker 1: I think I'll be good with Rivalry Week.
Speaker 2: So that's of course going to be a lot of our coverage throughout the course of the week. We have some fun remotes. We'll tell you about a lot of good guests on the show to get you ready for the big game coming up on Saturday. Utah is a four point underdog as of now by us your favorite, but as we do every single Monday during the college football season. If you missed it from earlier, here is the head ball coach for the Utes.
Speaker 1: Coach.
Speaker 8: Wait, okay, Rivalry week. I guess we haven't said that for a little over three years, and so season is flown by in a way, in a way it's taken forever. But anyways, it's time for the N State rivalry. You know, our guys were both in by weeks, both schools in bye weeks, and so certainly seasons have gone completely different directions. And then what was anticipated at the onset, I guess that shows that those preseason rankings and thoughts really don't mean a whole lot, and you get to go out and play the games, and things happened during the course of the season to alter the paths of teams, and so that's what happened this year. But our guys are really excited about the game. Obviously, good to get back back home to Rice cycles.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 8: Uh had a really good productive by week last week and and we'll resume practice today. They've had uh three days off, UH Friday, Saturday, Sunday off and so exious to get back on the field today and resume preparations and uh get ready for them, get ready for the game on Saturday. So questions cool, okay, justin go ahead.
Speaker 9: Hm, okay, where is your identity?
Speaker 12: Young young, fortality and attention to details to stay age, and.
Speaker 6: It seems that you've lost that last month.
Speaker 9: To how do you address this issues?
Speaker 8: Really, wife, I would agree we're not as physical this year as we typically have been. Uh, and you really gauge that at least we gauge it by uh how you run the ball and how you defend the running man. We haven't been as good at that this year. Uh just uh, you know, tough to s pinpoint one exact reason for that, but uh, yeah, we haven't h haven't been uh our usual selves in that regard, and uh that has been our identity as well. And so they go hand at hand and uh, you know, the ability to run the ball and plats and pass off of that, that's been our formula for success for a lot of years. And the the ability on defense to turn teams one dimensional by taking away the run and and forcing them to throw as has uh not surface this year either. So that's uh certainly been U big part of our issue this year. Issue issues.
Speaker 9: You had talked about last week Brandon and and uh Isaac was studying.
Speaker 6: Have you made it a termination?
Speaker 8: Yeah, We've got a good plan uh right now. And and Uh, well, keep it to ourselves obviously, but we have a plan going forward and uh, you know, I guess nothing's ever set in stone, but we we feel like we're we've got a uh uh a situation that uh is best for us and gets us the best chance to win.
Speaker 13: When you put in Brandon the last game, you said that you were looking for a spark I was ordering. Was it something that he showed you that led to, hey, let's give him a shot?
Speaker 6: Any practice as opposed to well the other is that working with the other lots the list.
Speaker 8: Straight little both little Both we weren't very productive offensively. Uh, I haven't been productively m much of this season since the first uh couple games, But uh it was a little of both. And uh I just thought that Brandon had been practicing extremely well as the number two guy, and just thought, given the circumstances, uh, it made sense to uh give him a chance and and see what he could do. So both uh, both things are correct, Kyle.
Speaker 14: Was this the first time in a while that Utah has been the underdog heading into the Buau Utah matchup? How was it different in terms of preparation, how the players do the game, how you viewed the game, and you know, is it different having that you're going shoulder heading into.
Speaker 8: The game to speak, Well, typically historically we've been uh pretty good in that situation, you know, with a with a chip on our shoulder. As you said, uh, mentality, I'm not sure, you know, the point spread doesn't really affect affect our thinking or how we go about our business or anything like that, other than uh, you know, maybe feeling like uh, you know we uh you know, just uh I that's unusual force you right, it's unusual, and so it's it's something that uh hasn't had occurred for quite a while. But uh, that's not our driving force or driving motivating factor.
Speaker 6: Brandon Rose has been here for a few years. How have you seen his development uh over his time as utell?
Speaker 8: He said, well, and he was really new well last year.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 8: In addition, but had that injury that knocked him out for six or eight weeks which really set him back, and then uh didn't uh get much uh any of anything going last year because of that. Uh spring ball. UH had some reps. Isaac uh got a bunch of the reps as well. But but Brandon has made steady and continual progress since he's been in the program. UH is playing his big us football right now is a ut Listen. Practice, there's not a big body of work to to gauge it off in game, but uh in a game situation. But he's done a nice job in practice, and and UH continues to uh get better. But that's you know, that's why you coach him, is to hopefully make him better.
Speaker 6: Feel he's obviously proved quite a bit of year to year. Who what is the strength.
Speaker 1: Of that offense?
Speaker 8: You know, I'd say the QB is the catalyst.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 8: You look at UH, individual rushers, individual receivers. There's nobody that just jumps out statistically. It It's a collaborative effort. But the uh, the quarterback is the catalyst in my opinion, And and playing good football. He's uh amongst the league leaders in pass efficiency. He and he's made some uh just a bunch of really timely runs during the course of the season, runs that that have made you know, big difference, UH maker type of runs. And so I would say that is, without a doubt, UH the guy that makes it all go. But again, they got he's got a good supporting cast. But but again nobody is just jumping out UH on the stat line. I don't know if they have a top ten receiver or a top ten running back, but you don't need to, you know, you don't have to do that to be successful. And then UH as a team, very opportunistic football team. They're playing good complimentary UH defense offense UH to each other. Defense is taking the ball away like crazy. Offense is protecting the ball. They're number two in the country and or not in the country in the conference the internover margins. So they're doing a really good job playing off each other offensively and defensively.
Speaker 6: Now ago kin they going off the question Justin asked about identity. Is it harder in this NIL era to.
Speaker 9: Kind of stick to your identity knowing that you're kind of have to appease guys or how do you how what's.
Speaker 8: Your approach on that much harder? And it's uh. I think there's a lot of teams across the country that are that are feeling and going through similar situations. When you uh, you know, four or five six years ago, before the advent of the portal, whenever that was, you might replace twenty five guys out of one hundred and twenty five on your team. Now you're replacing forty five plus and the culture I don't know deluded the right word, but I it's you know, before you had a hundred guys teaching twenty five guys how we do our thing, and now it's almost a fifty to fifty split the new guys as opposed to the the guys that have been in the program. But it's not unique to us. It's it's across the country. And I think that's why you're seeing a lot of uh different results, uh throughout the country, because uh it has had an effect and will continue to have an effect, and and whoever handles it best and whoever it's almost coming down to a sheer talent thing that uh, you know, sheer talent is I mean, who who's one in the country Oregon, Who's number one in the country in nil budget Oregon? Uh, who's number two and three? Probably Georgia and Ohio. I mean, it's just it's starting to fall right in line. If you remember I'd said this a couple of years ago that uh, things are gonna start mirroring very soon. You know, in the top twenty five, the the nil budgets and and uh, to a certain extent that's happening kind of.
Speaker 14: In in the vein of the portal and just how you build your program. Obviously it's you've not had a lot of turn over comparison to other programs in terms of the foundational pieces that you've had.
Speaker 8: Well, we did have forty five new guys this year for yeah, the rosters. It's during your half given.
Speaker 6: Uh, I guess the impacts of that.
Speaker 14: You know, has it changed, I I guess the way you see your co coaching philosophy and and the way this year has gone as it changed the way that you might approach it in in the futures.
Speaker 8: H, I think for certain. And uh, you know you got guys that uh come to the program and are here for a year or two and uh either leave or you've got grad transfers that only had a year or two left. And so there's just it's it's constantly in flux. And uh, I don't wanna say it's like you're hiring mercenaries every year, but you it's a it's a situation where again you gotta collect as much talent as quickly as you can and then hope it gels and comes together and you get results, and it's it is a different approach and different strategy than when you had guys just uh marinate in your program for four and five six years and it it is different. But again they're you know, not making excuses or complaining, cause the entire country is going through the same thing. I just feel that maybe our culture and our uh the way we did things gave us an edge back, you know when when that could be possible to have happened.
Speaker 11: This arborous series became dominant when you guys went to the Act twelve and they went in and then.
Speaker 6: Before that, I think you go back like the last twenty years. I believe the youths had like eleven to nine advantage, right, and then there was a sepuation.
Speaker 8: I think it's m I think it's more than that over twenty oh twenty years before what yeah, so thirty years ago and yeah, yeah, okay, yeah right, yeah. I mean it's it's been cyclical in a way.
Speaker 11: But I'm I'm wondering now that you're back in the same conference at least for the time being, would it surprise you if it got more even like it was in a Mount West days at the end.
Speaker 8: I could very well, I don't know. Then time will tell. I mean, why speculate on speculation. But that's great. Yeah, but but uh, who knows? I mean, who knows where college? Who who knows what will be in the same conference in two years? I mean, who knows that? There's so I can't really give you a good answer other than, uh, you know, being in the same conference. Certainly, I don't wanna say, uh it just as uh uh an equalizer of sorts, I guess you could say. And especially from a recruiting standpoint.
Speaker 6: Yeah, to kind of go back to the transfer portal.
Speaker 14: Obviously with quarterbacks like the NFL, they're starting to become the highest paid position.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, in college football.
Speaker 14: Yeah, in terms of a roster building perspective and what you've seen from Isaac, has there been any pause? I guess from what you've seen from his play to potentially view him as the future of this program moving forward.
Speaker 6: I know that's a very broad question and just curious.
Speaker 8: Based off your person Well, just generally speaking, we had a ton of belief in Isaac and we think he's got a big upside. We didn't know he'd be thrust into the starting role of the game in half into the season. You know, we the idea and the plan was, you know, hopefully Camp stays healthy as it gets sporadic playing time along the way and continues to develop and really takes over in spring as the number one guy. I mean, everything was accelerated so much. Uh and it's almost I don't wanna say it's unfair and is it cause there are other true freshmen in the country that are that are uh thrust into starting roles one reason or another. But uh, the bottom line is we have a lot of belief in Isaac and it'll be i you know, important to see how the year finishes out. He's had uh nearly four hundred snaps. I think he's had three hundred ninety seven snaps at quarterbacks so far this year and that's uh, you know, far more than we anticipated and have n't but but uh, you know, silver lining is he's gonna be that much further ahead in the future because of these snaps that he's had.
Speaker 12: You've mentioned Noble whole still changes offensively obviously with uh who's the season change? What is the possible that chamiership of the quarterback or with Mike Jake taking over whether his play calling or how it matches up with the quarterbacks still.
Speaker 6: Said, or either their relationship with Mike. I wonder how that quarterback.
Speaker 8: Dynamic with well, I think it was not a a huge impact. I mean Andy Ludwood coach the quarterbacks and coordinated for years and so it's not like it's uh uncommon for that to happen. That's very commonplace for for uh coordinators to be the the QB coach. Now it's gonna become less common going forward because when they change the rules, like I said, this year, everyone's added to their staff to free up the coordinators a lot of in a lot of instances. But uh, the quarterbacks have a really good relationship with Mike. He's been their guy since last spring, and uh it's uh, you know, as far as the way they operate, it's it's all status quo and how it has been other than he is now uh putting the game plan together and calling the plays.
Speaker 6: Looking at by you.
Speaker 14: You know, you have a lot of guys that were formally on your staff running the program there.
Speaker 8: To say the least.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right, yeah, what do you feel like they've done?
Speaker 14: I I guess well defined success this season with such a cohesive roster.
Speaker 6: It seems like all cylinders are working for them.
Speaker 14: I mean, what has kind of been the outside perspective from you?
Speaker 8: You'd have to ask them for the r you know, for the real answer to that. But I know that they've got uh one, five, six, seven, eight, maybe ten guys when you count Badmin's and all the peripheral uh positions that that we're once here and so they're they're doing a a really nice job obviously, and uh, you know, I just would say that, uh, you know, they are hitting on all cylinders, like you said, and again, uh playing off each other. That you was your fin hard pressed to find a team in the country that does a better job of complimentary football than what they're playing right now.
Speaker 6: You're the pact Jay, he'll play here and work for you. When you look at his defense, how.
Speaker 8: Much you will it helped during the game?
Speaker 6: How much are you looking at a lot of what you did?
Speaker 14: And you know what he's thinking, and how much has he evolved.
Speaker 6: In the years since he done.
Speaker 8: Well, he's evolved. But the basic principles, the basic fundamentals, the basic philosophy is still intact.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 8: But Jay has done a terrific job putting his own stamp on it, just like Morgan's done a terrific job putting his own stamp on the defense here. But uh, the basic the you know, the building blocks are the same and that's really, uh what wins games. And you know, blocking, tackling, how you defeat blocks. I am and all that stuff is is what wins and loses games. It's not it's not plays, it's players and how they fundamentally operate. And uh, he's got those guys doing a great job.
Speaker 3: In regards to as it get those almost four hundred snaps. And I guess with whatever starts against by us, is all experience a good experience or you have to make sure that you know you're helping build the quarterback's confidence by particularly well it's getting the right situations to play callwise.
Speaker 8: Et cetera. Sure, I would say most all experience is mostly good experience, not that, but you can you know, there's there's situations where a guy goes in and and becomes shell shocked because it's happening so fast and he's not ready for it, and it can do some damage for a period. I'm not saying that's what happened to Isaac, But I've seen that happen in the past. The quarterbacks where and other positions for that matter, but mostly as a quarterback, I mean, they're the they're the it's the most important position in football, hands down, it's not even close. But uh have seen where uh guys got thrust in there too early, and even at the pro level that's happened, and so yeah, you can see that happening. But but most of the time, experience is experience, and you're learning and growing along the way regardless of results. But if it's too extreme or too dramatic, uh, in the wrong direction, that can't have long lasting effect.
Speaker 6: And Uch, you've been very candid.
Speaker 8: About always candid, Yeah, every every day in my life, Canda. It's a good way to describe it.
Speaker 14: Kay, you've been very candid about the conference ree line or race, just how you think the next three or five years are going to shape you know, how there's a potential power too or Super League.
Speaker 6: How do you feel like winning in the state of.
Speaker 14: Utah's program is right now for the future of that potential power too And obviously that's speculative, but yeah, you know, is there more pressure on you as a head coach, knowing the the states of those futures.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 8: Uh, Well, there's always pressure on the head coach in regardless of the circumstances. It doesn't matter if you're a Pop Warner coach. I mean, you've got pressure and and you feel it. And if you're all in then you care. And it again doesn't matter the level. But uh, I would say it's more a body of the work of the last twenty years, the thirty years, more so than than one year. But but uh, when that realignment cause it, And I think all the most of the TV contracts in about five years are up, and I think that's when it's really the stuff's gonna hit the fan and things are gonna unless they accelerate it. You know, they could accelerate it and and it could happen sooner. But to answer your question, I think, uh, you're gonna look a big picture.
Speaker 15: Uh.
Speaker 8: There's so many things involved, you know, side, not not just your your uh win loss record overall though although that'll be a big importance. You know, how big is your stadium, you you're you're f following, and I mean just how you know just your overall state of the program and what you bring to the table. That's really what it boils down to is what do you bring to the table as a program, as a fan base to make yourself attractive to be in that Power two or whatever it ends will be in. So appreciate you guys.
Speaker 1: All right here we go, all right there he is coach Wit.
Speaker 2: We replay his media availability every Monday throughout the college football season. If you missed any of it, just head to the website excuse me, which is ESPN seven hundred sports dot com. Austin Powers theme song? Is that what this is?
Speaker 1: It is? But it's it's a Quincy Jones joint. All right?
Speaker 2: Okay, well that works for the musical theme on a Monday afternoon. It's a big week, man, bring him young, rolls up to Risycle Stadium undefeated for Saturday Saturday night, tilled against the Utah.
Speaker 1: You try, next guest, good friend of the show, the head coach of b y U.
Speaker 2: Great to have Kalatee satake on a Monday, Coach kilate Happy Monday.
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 15: What's going on?
Speaker 10: Spence?
Speaker 15: How you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm well, man, I appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: So when you wake up on an of a week like this, How does it hit a little bit differently just juxtaposed to your other game weeks.
Speaker 15: Oh, I mean it's I'm actually what was odd was having the bye week last week for both teams, and so that was the harder week to get through. But now that the game week is here, it's right around the corner. It makes it a little bit more normal than what we had to go through with the bye week. But I thought we took advantage of the extra time that we had, extra preparation and really looking forward to this game. I got to take advantage of what we got to get done today. But I'm just really excited for this game, for our players.
Speaker 1: And obviously your wealth.
Speaker 2: You're well aware of the dynamics that come into play here. And I want to go back to Big twelve media days when I was able to catch up with both you and and and a Rod coach a Rod and you both said to me, we will be better, we will be different this year, and eight games later, you certainly have klatatee. What would you attribute your undefeated start you most?
Speaker 1: Is there one dynamic? Is it preparation?
Speaker 2: Because the interesting thing is you made some transfer portal editions but you really just grew from within, which is not the model that a lot of people are using these days. So first of all, congrats on the start. How would you explain how this has gone down?
Speaker 15: Well? I think we just had to believe in what we were doing and we know that the landscape of college football has changed quite a bit. But when it all comes down to it, having the principles, the things that we actually operate by, you have to double down on it. You have a choice to either do it or abandon it. And we decided to stick to what stay the course of what we're doing. We knew what the corrections need to be done, what things we need to do to overcome the deficiencies from twenty twenty three and just went to work. And I could say from January and to that moment that we met with you, we saw a lot of improvement and a lot of really cool things that happened with our program and with the players, and started to a little bit more confident about our opportunities and the possibilities of.
Speaker 10: For this year.
Speaker 15: I didn't know exactly what that meant other than we feel we felt really comment going into this season. You know, we we're in a really good spot right now, but that that it doesn't change the fact that of our approach and and and the processes that we're trying to work through, we just happened to be eight no at now. But that doesn't really matter. It's just like we've done it every week this season, is move on to the next one and try our best to be at our best so that we can perform and try to get that one this week. And that's we're completely focused on this this night game and just happens to be Utah. We're really excited about the opportunity. But there's a lot of things that we know we can do better and we're seeing it. You know that that's a tough task to do it against a tough team like Utah and and to go up to their home and do that and and uh, but you know, we got no choice, man. We got to be able to step up. We we see the challenge that that's at hand and we're hoping that this would get the best out of us.
Speaker 1: So for me, Kalani, it was Smu. It was the road when Smu that.
Speaker 2: Kind of opened my eyes and I went all right, there's something going on down there now. I didn't know you were going to be a No, you never know about any of these things.
Speaker 1: But was there as the head coach.
Speaker 2: Was there one seminal moment, one seminal game where you guys were looking around, You're like, all right, this might be real. Does does one thing kind of jump out?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 15: I think the thing that jumped out to me the leaders that I saw on the team just this was in camp. I just felt you just felt the difference in the way that these guys are the closest that they felt to each other. And then and then I'm seeing it the way that they're celebrating each other's accomplishments. So then you see somebody making the play, the excitement and energy that comes from their teammates and and even people that are that are in competition for the same spot. That's that's something that's unique and different, and I and joum enjoying it. And we don't have a lot of big stats that are out there other than we have an unselfish team. And I wish I could take credit for all that, but I have to give a lot of all the credit to our players, our leaders. They've done an amazing job and owning the team and and prepping them and preparing them. The pre re peer learning has been amazing and it's been awesome for me to coach.
Speaker 2: So your media every Monday after the game has been really impressive. But it's one thing to say we want to make our eighth statement, or we want to make our ninth statement, or we want to win the week. All coaches have some sort of derivative of that. But how do you make that message permeate among the young men that play for you? Because at that age I always talk about college coaches just having a different task than pro coaches simply because sometimes we forget how young these young men are because they're wearing pads and we watch them play the game that we love. So how have you been able to instill the week to week approach in your players?
Speaker 15: Well, I think we've been really consistent as a coaching staff and in our approach every week, and whether that's this year or last year, and doesn't matter that the week, we've been very consistent and then and how we operate. But I think the key is you can either be sad or happy, but there's one thing that has to happen. You have to go to work, and so it doesn't really matter what happened that day you come to practice. There's work to be done. And it's really hard. If you run a certain system the way you want it to, it's hard to fake it. So you've got to be here and you got to put in the time. And for some reason, when you just put in the time and you get you start sweating, good things happen and people can feel accomplished. So regards to what's happening outside of the facility when they enter here, I wanted to be focused on what we're doing, and the best way to get a focus is you just got to work really hard. And these guys have answered the call for us to get them to work hard. Is that we've been able to build every week. I hope you can do the same thing this week and be consistent. Will we've done so far this year.
Speaker 2: And you've had tremendous consistency under center. And in the four games we saw Jake last year, there just were way too many decisions that ultimately led to turnovers that ultimately led to losses.
Speaker 1: And it's been more.
Speaker 2: I look, nobody's perfect, but he's been so much better this year. A year older a year evolved. Obviously, your wide receiver room is in my opinion, as deep as anyone that I've seen. So he certainly has targets. You've got three or four capable backs you've had to shuffle through when it comes to the health stuff and a little bit of an injury issue on the O line. Hopefully that's getting hold. But what stands out most to you about the play of your quarterback.
Speaker 15: Well, I just really appreciate his approach to the game, so humble, and he's always willing to learn more. And and part of that learning is that I think we we as coaches want to want to focus on the negatives. It's like, hey, you got to do this better, got to do that better. But the one thing that he's been able to do is deflect even the praise. And I think we have to do our jobs as coaches is the is the definitely give them the negative side what they can improve on, but that's difficult to do without praising them and the things that they've done well. And when we do that, he doesn't ever take it and then and then and turns into pride. He always deflects it to his teammates and I've been really impressed with this humility and his ability to work. And he's been through some tough times, you know what I mean, and he's had to earn this spot, and so as he won the starting spot, you can see that there's a cool dynamic in the in the quarterback room, and I've been really impressed with what Aro has been able to do with that group. And Jake's doing some good things now. But like I said, he's not playing perfect. But I like his demeanor and I like his mentality, and I like the leadership that he show him to our team. It's been really impressive.
Speaker 2: Had seventeen players score touchdown, You've had eleven players get a pick, You've had eight players get a sack. Like this is an absolute masterclass on depth and complimentary football. You're not getting this done with one or two guys. I mean that speaks too. I suppose the depth you've built up to get ready for this P four challenge.
Speaker 15: Yeah, well, I think it's just everybody buying into their part. And you're right, it's been. The stats have been kind of spread out throughout everyone in the team, and I think it's just everyone just does buys into their role. It doesn't really out of your role as a starting role. If you're a backup guy, you got to be ready. You got to be ready for that moment just in case something does happen. And you know what happens, bence is you over prepare quite a bit. Imagine if you're a backup player, but you're you're you're the team that you're back of, the person that you're backing up is actually healthy and doing well.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 15: Last thing you want is the injury to happen. But these guys are bought in and they're they're they're focused on what's happening. They're getting mental reps, and they're supporting their teammates and that's I wish I could take credit for them, but that's that's the stuff that they're doing for the position groups and from their leaders, and they're following the example of their leaders. So to have guys that are the upperclassmen and just be happy with whatever comes their way and not be so focused on the stats. We have to all agree that the one stat matters the most, and that's trying to do whatever we can as a team to get the victory. And it's easier said than done, but I've been lucky that these young men have taken it to heart and that the leaders have taken the task of teaching it to everyone. But they do it by by their example as well.
Speaker 2: Certainly, when you blab into a micro for four hours every day, you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: A lot wrong.
Speaker 2: Klaudie, I don't know that I've ever been as wrong as I've been about this Utah football team. How surprised are you as far as where we find ourselves up in Salt Lake with a youth sitting at four and four having lost four straight.
Speaker 15: Well, I think, first of all the dangerous team because you can see the talent and you can see the toughness that's in that program. I think they've gone through some adversity. It happens in college football, and unfortunately the injuries can be a detriment to your program and even the momentum. But I do know one thing about that coaching staff and one thing about those players. They have high character and the ability to fight back. So we're expecting their best shot. We know we'll get their best shot because they don't know any other way. And I just need to make sure that our players and our team and our program show up with our best shot, and it was whatever happens happens. We can just live with the results. But I have a ton of respect and tons of appreciation for the way they play the game. Just we're really looking forward to this matchup and the energy that we'll be in this game. It's been a fund that is back on on the schedule again, but you look at the parody that's happened in this conference, you look at last weekend for example. You can't take anything for granted, so you have to just play it your best, and even when you play your best, it may not be good enough, but at least you can live with the results. And that's what we're looking forward to getting done, and we'll see what happens. I know that if these guys play their best and then they can live with the results, no matter how it looks on the scoreboard.
Speaker 2: So it's been tough up here with the quarterback stuff, as you know, and Coach Witt has elected to not share who his starting quarterback will be on Saturday, so we know that Brandon Rose and Isaac Wilson will be splitting reps this week. Does that change the way you prepared for Saturday? There's this debate in college football, like does that really give you a competitive advantage? Well, Kyle thinks it does and it's not against the rules, So that's how he decides to go about the messaging. How does that affect your game plan as you approach this game not knowing who's under center, or maybe you already know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 15: We just I said earlier over preparing is kind of what you have to do as a coaching staff, and so there's things that we have to do. We have to prepare for whoever shows up under center, and that doesn't really matter who could be, but you can you can plan for anything, whether it's a wildcat situation or they they use a number of quarterbacks. I mean, that's they're right. I think coach with is right. It's to their advantage. Plus, from what you're seeing that they're trying to they're trying to get guys to earn and compete for a spot. So I'm not worried about how they do it. I'm just focused on what we can do and what we have to react to. It's been it's been good for us to use the extra time because I know they are using the extra week for the buy to get their offense ready, and we have to do our best to get all our three phases ready. And I know that we can count on the battle that's gonna always happen in these games. Just really looking forward to the matchup and everything. And regardless of who's under center, I know that they have a lot of talent around them, physical align, They have a great tight ends that can play a number of them, and then a bunch of skill at wide opposition, and the number of running backs that can run the rock really hard. So this is a tough task for us, and then we're taking it very seriously and we're looking forward to hopefully the challenge is making us to step up and become a better, even step up to another level of play for our side.
Speaker 2: On the other side, Kaladia, as you know, the numbers indicate this is still kind of like a top three defense in the conference. And that's Utah football, that's Kyle Whittingham football. It's also Kolonia Satake football, as we know. So when you study their defense, what stands out as far as how they've been able to maintain what they usually do on that side of the ball.
Speaker 15: Well, it looks really familiar, you know what I mean. You look at the guys that are in our room, and the guys are working the defense. I know Morgan Scatty, I know coach Whittingham. I know they'll get that team ready, and I know the coach is Lewis Powell and Sharif. Those guys are doing a great job, you know, and Swani, I mean, those guys do a great job at getting their guys ready. So we've seen it every week and they've been very consistent. They are a defense that's a very physical rundwell of the ball that's been that way. It's almost like that's just a given. And so for us, we just have to be ready. Offensively, we have to be ready to take on their best and like I said before, all three phases, we have to be at our best because there are three phases and you saw a very well coached and they have a lot of talent and a lot of skill. So as we put it all together and we match them up, we'll see what happens on Saturday. Looking forward to the matchup, I'm hoping that this will elevate our game and make us play even better than what we've done before. But I think we're going to have to play our best ball this.
Speaker 1: Weekend, last thing that I know you got to get to.
Speaker 2: It's all set you loose, But I view you as kind of what I perceive to be a leader into this generation of what feels to be a more civil relationship between the two communities.
Speaker 1: Nobody, You're not going to get perfect behavior.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be a couple of idiots that do something stupid, but that shouldn't, you know, overshadow what should be a really fun week. It's a week that I love, but Colonia, it's a week that some people don't because of the past and the energy and things that maybe have happened that have hurt feelings or what have you. So before I say you lose, just characterize how you hope this week.
Speaker 1: Goes leading up to the game and then during the game as well.
Speaker 10: Well.
Speaker 15: I think this is how most fans want to be. And you have to remember that I'm a fan at heart, even though I get to be a coach for you know where they did.
Speaker 1: We lose them mean?
Speaker 15: And I kind of was raised in the in the the Lovelle and mac Era and then those guys were best friends. They really enjoyed each other's company. Even to this day, Patty and Mac and Vicki, they all have a great relationship, and so it's it's one of those things that you re celebrated. And when we were not able to play this game, we had to take an absence because of the conference issues and the realignment. Now that we're the same conference or power conference, I think we could take it and take a lot of the enjoyment and appreciating each other and just playing the game and giving it at that at the game, because this affects a lot of families and a lot of friendships and it shouldn't be that way. I think there's a way that we can, regardless of the game the result of the game, that we should be civil and still loving and the pre each other. Because it's a lot better now that we have the rivalry back and that it's more consistent, and we happen to be in a power conference, So it's something to be celebrated and something to have for a lot of fun with. And I hope that we can not be so toxic anymore and just enjoy each other's company and then even even by chance, root for each other when we're not playing each other.
Speaker 2: Well said, well, I'm thrilled for your success, my friends, and it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 1: It's real.
Speaker 2: You've answered questions and I'll wish you the best of luck coming up on Saturday. And I really appreciate your time on a busy day.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, my frien.
Speaker 15: I appreciate you, guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks all right, Kiani Satake head coach Brigham Young. They roll up here to Salt Lake as a five point twelve four point favorite. Now the line opened at five and it moved down to four and that's where it's remained, which is kind of interesting. When I saw five and went oof BYU Road Team rivalry game, insane Utah desperation. You can't fake desperation, say it all the time. I would imagine U Tu's gonna come out very, very desperate, not just for a good showing, but they've got to win. Man Utah doesn't win on Saturday. I don't know that they go bowling. Of course, it's still on the table and the only thing worse than playing in a throwaway bowl game is not being eligible for one. Of course, different things at stakes for both teams. B Why you still try to stay clean. Okay, b why you still try to stay clean? And you know, Klannie just referenced the chaos in the Big Twelve over the weekend with Iowa State getting God, case State getting God. Fact of the matter is BYU can lose on Saturday and they're still kind of high speed ahead of the Big Twelve championship game. They might even be able to go two and two over their final four and still make it in. I mean, that's kind of the position they put themselves in. The only other kind, well, I don't know, is Houston Good. Like we were going to do our power pole today and my Big Twelve power pole was going to be BYU won, then everyone else I don't know. BYU's won, and then everyone else is tied to you to sixteen, like as Houston Good all of a sudden, but BYU gets them at home. They'll play Kansas at home after Utah that road game against Arizona State's probably a little bit tricky. Arizona State's a good team. Kenny Dillingham's done a good job. But you know, it really does come down to, you know, Utah fighting to save their season from a Bowl eligibility standpoint and really fighting to save their season, to have really, in my opinion, one more good opportunity in front of this community for something that's real and something that matters. If that makes sense, Because the BYU game matters. I mean I always say it's good, that's gonna be a fun game to go to, and it's the last home game, so honor the seniors and we'll all be there for it. But you know, if if Dorian Singer goes for one to seventy five and three touchdowns against BYU and Utah wins, it just carries a different weight as opposed if he does it against Iowa State, if that matters, And yes, it does feel like we're partying like it's nineteen eighty nine again where Utah football.
Speaker 1: You know, for a long.
Speaker 2: Long time it was like maybe we can go to a bowl and beat BYU and that was considered success. The expectation has changed around here and that makes this season land differently and there's nothing that can be done between now and the end of the season to change.
Speaker 1: That undeniable fact.
Speaker 2: And I'm sure Kyle would admit that himself, and he all but has in his media availability. But for one day, you have one opportunity to be great in a game that matters to a lot of people. And that's got to be the message to the players this week, who I'm sure are still down in the dumps after losing four straight. I mean, Utah has lost going in, they've lost games going into both by weeks.
Speaker 1: That's got to be hard.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure it just resonates and just kind of lingers and stays there.
Speaker 1: And a win on Saturday.
Speaker 2: It's not going to change what the season ultimately unfolds in too, but for one moment you can probably win back at community that right now is I don't know. I feel like the community is very nervous for Saturday. It'll be a fun night. As Kalanate just outline, no matter what, don't forget that kickoff time is eight to fifteen.
Speaker 1: It is on ESPN.
Speaker 2: You can listen to it, of course, as your home of the youths for more than seventy years here on ESPN seven hundred. Our pregame coverage with Porter Larsen and with Porter Larsen.
Speaker 4: And Azekastiata and a bunch of other folks will be stopping by, Hey, cast of characters, stop stopping by our tailgates starting at four fifteen on Saturday, so come by and join us.
Speaker 2: I think the Austin Powers theme song for Kilani worked pretty well. You use that as the intro for Klonia. I don't know why. It felt like it was an appropriate bump.
Speaker 4: I don't know why either, but it did feel like it worked. And this one, I believe is also a music video theme. May be a soundtrack of some but it's good. I like the bumps. I like the Quincy Jones bumps.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have you seen the documentary that his daughter, Rushida directed.
Speaker 1: I think it's Netflix. You know what. I totally space that that is his daughter. Yeah, The Office of the Office Fame. She's very talented in her own right. You know what it was actually HBO. I knew that at one point and totally forgot about it.
Speaker 2: It's really good because I look, I'm a music fan, and I had no clue just how far his reach went. I mean, a pretty remarkable career and he was a remarkable artist in his own right. Passed away at the age of ninety one. So yeah, that's the musical theme of the day today. Well, the other theme of the day today is there's a football game on Saturday, folks seem to be interested in Josh Furlong from Cassel, do you have any inside knowledge of this football game coming up on Saturday we should know about.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a low key game. Nobody's ever really heard of it.
Speaker 9: People will probably gloss over it, so it'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Well ultimately, I well let me start here. I like this week. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's just that kind of like that competitive energy. I never played for a paycheck, but I definitely played in rivalry games and I always loved it.
Speaker 1: I don't know what, but some people very much do not enjoy it.
Speaker 2: And I don't know if it's a little PTSD from having your feelings heard at church from a BYU bro. I don't fully know what it is. But do you enjoy this week from your vantage point?
Speaker 9: Yeah? I mean I think from a competitive standpoint, this becomes a very fun week every single year when it happens, right, I think there's a lot of fun to it. I understand where some people don't like it. I mean, like there's one hand of it where I hate the bau Utah week simply because of the vitriol on Twitter. Granted, that comes on a day to day basis, but it seems to ramp up this week. But I feel like this is what you want to play for, right I mean, obviously Utah wants to play for championships and they want to play for the playoffs, but you want to play to be your rival. And now that it means something, it just feels like it has much more at stake. And I understand these two teams are completely different trajectories right now, but I think it still means something, and I think it's exciting, right Like, it gets people rejuvenated. Even with Utah as down as they have been and not really playing as well, I think there's still a glimmer of hope because you know how crazy these games get that you know, maybe Utah plays spoiler and then all of a sudden, this undefeated season and this remarkable season that b what you've had is spoiled by.
Speaker 10: Utah once again.
Speaker 9: So if you can't get excited for that, I don't know what to tell you, right Like, I mean, this is what this is the reason you play the sport. You want to be in competitive environments, You want to be able to have this fun. So I, for one, love this type of week. I think it's fun and people should embrace it.
Speaker 2: More so the data sometimes it's all you can go off of. The data indicates BYU is the better team. I don't think anybody can argue that now. But if you have paid attention to the way this game usually goes, more often than not, barring like a two thousand and four talent gap, chaos ensues in a way that you never ever anticipate. So ultimately that does give Utah fighting chance. By you opened as a five point favorite, Vegas typically builds in three for the home field advantage. Vegas is essentially saying BYU is about a touchdown a little bit more better than Utah.
Speaker 1: Let's start there.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's the difference, that's the general difference between these two teams about a touchdown or so.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I mean, I think on the surface, you'd look at that, you'd say that's easy money for BYU, right, Like, it seems like a real easy spread to cover the way that Bau's playing and kind of the camaraderie and just kind of the general sense of what this.
Speaker 10: Team is doing, that feels like easy money. But as you mentioned, I mean, this game is just chaotic. I don't know that you can.
Speaker 9: Predict anything about this game. Anything that you know about it can go out the window. And you know what if Utah decided to play up to his potential, right, like, what if all of a sudden things can happen, it becomes much more of a difficult game in my opinion, because I think, you know, we go back to this all the time, right, Like we talked about in the beginning of the season, it's like, oh, on paper, this team is this and that, and we project the team, there's still that same team on paper, right, Yeah, you don't have cameras uprising, you don't have a few of these other players who have been lost to injuries. But at the same time, there's still a level of talent that Utah has.
Speaker 10: That doesn't mean.
Speaker 9: That they're just suddenly going to roll over.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 9: We see this in college football every single week where Florida last weekend was leading Georgia for some time. And it doesn't matter what season you're having, a rivalry game is going to be difficult. So yeah, on the surface, I honestly think that this is a b why used game to win, right. I don't think anybody is expecting anything different, but just the way that these two teams play each other, the fact that it's at Rice Cycle Stadium him, you know, the fact that there is still tell him on this Utah roster. And if people are bought in and they want to be able to use this as kind of a galvanizing moment for this team, you know, anything's possible. So personally, I would never bet on this game because I don't think it's It would be too stressful for me to watch my money kind of fade away because I know I probably picked the wrong way no matter what.
Speaker 10: But yeah, I'm the surface. This is a BYU win, but I don't know that.
Speaker 9: It's going to be as clear cut as as many stink though I wouldn't be surprised to be why you could make it that way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it really never is the way people think. I've learned that over the years. I rarely levy a prediction. Of course, it's part of our jobs. So we'll give you our predictions before we sat off air on Friday. But let's dig into some Utah stuff here for a moment. We're doing the QB thing, Josh, We're doing the QB thing. We just had Klanie on and I asked him if not knowing who's underst my guess is they have a general idea. I asked him if this dynamic affects there game planning, and he said, the nice Kali thing, how they're gonna have to over prepare for both the coach speak that you would expect. So give me, give me the Josh Furlong gut feel about who's going to be under center, and how do you think this process is going to play out this week?
Speaker 9: To me, it's it's trending towards Brandon Rose, and I think they just are trying to look for a spark and trying to get somebody that maybe has a little bit more experience under their belt, and experience being a very loose term there, knowing that he's had essentially two quarters of play. But to me, that's just kind of the direction that they're trying to go with. I don't know how that's going to play out, right, because you have to be pretty dang sure that Brandon is going to be or at least give you a better spark than what Isaac was going to do. If not, you shadow your confidence, you kind of hurt the team's Moraley even more because you had a quarterback in the future.
Speaker 10: What does that mean? I just I just.
Speaker 9: Think there's a lot at play here, and I understand, you know, Utah's trying to do whatever they can to win now, and maybe that's Isaac Wilson, and maybe that's Brandon Rose. Ultimately it's up to them to decide. But this is a tricky territory, right. You've got to be able to not just go with your emotions. You've got to go through with the analytics. You've got to look at everything and see if this is the best course of action. For all we know, Brandon Rose could go out there sling the ball for three hundred and fifty yards and beat BYU by twenty points.
Speaker 10: I doubt that. But this this.
Speaker 9: Becomes a very difficult challenge for Kyle, who already I don't want to say as a fractured roster, right, I don't think these guys are at each other's throats.
Speaker 10: And they don't like each other.
Speaker 9: I don't believe that at all. But I think when you continually kind of mess around with that and mess around with kind of that dynamic, that can open up a challenge where you lose guys because you know, maybe one you know, maybe guys think this should happen, or you lose your quarterback and you don't put confidence in. It's not an easy situation, and I get frustrated that we have to continually have this QB dilemma. The reality is is Utah really didn't prepare all that much for it's about quarterback. Outside of cam raising. They put all their eggs in that basket. We didn't really get a chance to see who was behind, if Isaac clearly won the job, or if they just felt like they wanted to project in the future and give him that confidence. And that's you know, that's a frustrating thing because now we're stuck, you know, ten weeks into the season trying to figure out who Utah has as a quarterback and seeing if they can you know, do something with that, you know, and not really trying to gain momentum with any other type of situation that they have.
Speaker 2: So when you dig into the numbers, it still reflects the defense that is generally speaking, maybe top three, top four.
Speaker 1: Some metrics are a little better.
Speaker 2: The weird thing is the metrics that aren't very good defensively or the things they're typically really good at, namely getting to the quarterback and forcing turnovers where they're lasting the conference and fumbles recovered, but overall defense are second. They're top three to four in both just your nuts and bolts, your meat and potatoes of rushing past defense. But they're not creating havoc plays and they're not getting the quarter back defensively. What are you looking for coming up on Saturday to limit a BYU offense that overall is only trailing Texas Tech in average points per game.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I think that the biggest issue for this defense has just been its run defense, which sounds wild to think because this is you know, Utah's bread and butter. They're physical in the trenches, they stopped the run most years. They're always, you know, top ten, top five in run defense, and so you've got to kind of pair that with also their tackling. They've missed something like ninety tackles this year. I mean, it's been pretty bad for a team that prides itself so much on that. So to me, you know, regardless of what BYU does, is they've got to find a way to stop the run. Then you can play the other areas of the game and try to kind of dictate it the way that you want.
Speaker 10: I think this defense is up to the challenge.
Speaker 9: I don't think that Jake Rehtslaf is such a mobile quarterback that Utah is worried that he's going to escape the pocket like you know Xeon Christ did against Houston or with Houston or maybe some of these other quarter But that's not to say that this BYU team can't run. I think they've shown that they've been able to have that ability. They've got a bunch of guys that can do it, and if Utah can't figure that out, it doesn't really matter what else is going on, right Like, they'll find they'll find their opportunities in the passing game. You know, redslav has has shown his ability to do you know what he needs to to manage the game and help everything. But if Utah can't stop the run, I don't know that they have a chance, right don't. I just don't know that this is a situation where Utah can come out of that feeling confident if they can't get that run and get that physicality. Knowing that BYU is going to absolutely try to do the same thing they're going to try to establish that run. They're going to try to maintain that physicality and keep that momentum going. So to me, the trench play and the run defense is really kind of the tone of the game, especially on that defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 1: So what do you so, what do you think the message is?
Speaker 2: It's tough, Josh, because as you know, there's nothing that can happen over the final four games to change where this season will end for Utah football. Like, the only thing worse than playing in a throwaway bowl game is not being eligible for one. I guess so, and there's a world that if they don't win Saturday, you know, they may not get Bowl eligible because they have to go to Boulder, they host Iowa State. I mean, as you we were going to do our Big twelve power rankings today and I was like, all right, b YU won, then everyone else is tied in an area that I don't even know, right, Like, it's just you don't know week in and week out. But if you're a coach with if you'r Morgan Scalley, sure if everybody up there, you know, as you know, Josh, you pull up Utah's roster, you see California, Florida, Texas. You see a lot of kids that didn't grow up here and therefore this rivalry was not part of their upbringing, and a lot of them, probably, you know, don't fully understand how big this game is for a lot of people in the community. But if you can be great for one day, if you can be great for one game and lead Utah to a win over BYU, You're always remembered in a different way. It's it's Brandon's block. And you know, we could all give you twenty five different names from both sides that have stood out as legends because of one moment, you know, So it is that the tone and tenor that you set this week to help these young men understand, Like, yes, it's been disappointing. We're not going to win the conference championship, we're not going to CFP. All the things we thought we could do are not on the table. But for one day at least, you can change the way this football community feels about you as a player and us as a team with one big performance against our rival, Like, is that.
Speaker 1: What's at stake for Utah on Saturday?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 9: Absolutely, I mean I think regardless of where these guys come from. They understand that this game matters, right. Tam Rising was talking about this at the very beginning of the season on how much he hates THEYU and that's unfortunate that he'll never get a chance to play BYU. But I think that carries down to all these other players. They understand that, they understand that this is a big deal. But at the same time, this becomes even bigger because of what the season has been. You know, if you can go through this terrible season where you're four and four and your rivals are out there, you know, pumping their chests and doing all this stuff, and they're eight and o coming into this game, you go beat them? What better bragging rights you have?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 10: You just ruined their season and.
Speaker 9: They'll still probably get to a big twelve championship game and probably still have a better season. But what better way to just go out with this knowing that, Okay, yeah, you're preserving a potential opportunity to go to a Bowl game, and yeah, you know a lot of guys will probably opt out, but at least he still gave them a chance. But what better way than to just beat your rival and rub that in like even on your down years, you were still able to beat your rivals. Like that just hurts, and so I think this becomes ARGUAB League the most important game on Utah schedule this season. Coming into the season, I don't know that this would have been the case other than just your typical rivalries.
Speaker 10: But I think this has to be it.
Speaker 9: Right if you can't get a win over BYU, and that's a tall task on its own, but if you can't get a win over BYU, I just don't know where Utah goes after this. I think it further cements utah struggles. It further causes a division and kind of the fan base and the team and kind of where they're at. And so this becomes kind of an all in type scenario. You've put all the chips on the table. You're hoping that it goes red and that you can win some money and kind of carry that on to the next round.
Speaker 10: But I don't know.
Speaker 9: I love the winner take all stakes kind of mentality that this can be for Utah, but they have to approach it that way or else you know it's going to be BYU, and it's just going to be more proof that you aren't able to get the job.
Speaker 2: Done BYU does get to the quarterback and they do create havoc plays. I read this stat and it's smacked me across the face BYUS outscored their opponents sixty nine to ten off of turnovers. Like that's nuts plus eighteen. That's six in the country. Fourteen picks is third. So this does come down to how do you attack that defense when you whether it's Brandon or Isaac, neither have shown the ability to really dissect the secondary or go for like three point fifty. So I'm assuming we're going to see a healthy dose of mackay so dissect that a little bit. Run game utah Zo line, which has been good but not great and really good at times, but you know, sometimes left wanting a little bit. How do you think Mike bijaking and this offense goes about attacking a defense that causes havoc every single week?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's a that's a really fascinating thing that I'm curious to see because they haven't really been able to do it much this year. And if Isaac's back there, you know b Wau's going to load up that box and really put a ton of pressure on it.
Speaker 10: I don't know that they don't do that with Brandon rod either.
Speaker 9: But if Utah and do things to kind of get creative, get outside of that, you know, open up the pocket a little bit more to make it easier.
Speaker 10: I think that gives you tah chance.
Speaker 9: If they continue to run the same things where they're inside zone, run it up the middle a million times and hope to you know, pray that you get something. I don't know that that's your answer. That's not to say that it can't, but you have to have more than Mackay Bernard. You have to mix in a Jalen Glover. You have to mix in maybe a Djon Stanley, Mike Mitchell. You have to be creative in this front because anything that you've done are ready this season is just pretty vanilla and it's not going to it's not.
Speaker 10: Going to be the answer. BYU has scouted it, they've got staff.
Speaker 9: That knows Kyle Whittingham's you know, offense, defense inside and out. And so you have to come into this game almost rewriting the playbook, letting Bajakan be a little bit more creative, or else you're going to be snuffed out really quickly. And then all of a sudden, you know that QB play turns into turnovers and then all that stuff. A lot of people want to talk about, Oh, BYU has been lucky that they've gen Alliad's turnovers, and maybe there's some of that, but I think you breathe luck for yourself, right, you get that there was a couple of years where a couple of years ago, USC kind of did that. Everybody's like, there's no way that they can continue this going, and they continue to get all these turnovers and the season kept flipping in their direction. I think when you have momentum on your side, that kind of breeds that. And so if Utah can't do anything to kind of mix it up and be a little bit more dynamic, this is going to be a real struggle. And then suddenly you're now facing these turnovers where you're either blocking u pont or you're forcing fumbles or you're forcing interceptions. And now be what you has all the momentum in your home stadium, you've got that crowd quiet, and you lose that game pretty quickly. So to me, you have to be pretty dynamic. You have to do something that's different, that be what you haven't seen or else. This becomes a real challenge for you though.
Speaker 2: How healthy, to your knowledge is Utah football outside of Camon Rising.
Speaker 10: That's that's a tough one.
Speaker 9: Utah has lost some offensive linemen and so that's going to be a challenge to see how they blend together. You've lost Money Parks, you know, this comes a difficult test on the offensive side of the ball where you know, especially Money, who's been able to spread the field. You don't have that guy. Now you have Dorian Singer, but that's really easy for somebody like Byu to to bracket him or do whatever they need to to stop him. Defensively, you've got to be able to get your defensive line of you know connected. You've got to have Karennie Reid back on the field, and he's been there, but you've got to make sure he's healthy. If though, none of those pieces come together, this becomes an even bigger challenge for Utah. I think they're, you know, trending towards a healthy, healthy unit and that they'll be okay, but it's it's not as ideal as what you'd expect coming into this game. Knowing how well b Whatyu is playing now knowing how well that defense is playing, and knowing that this is going to be a tall task no matter what happens.
Speaker 2: A lot of reference during his media the counter pay is most likely not playing and looks like Cody Epps will be out as well. But man, that wide receiver room sure seems deep. All right, Josh. I want to be careful here because I feel like the narrative has gotten a little out of control, that it's just going to be blue in the stadium on Saturday. But I will say that I've heard from more than a few people that have sold their tickets are nervous, do not want to be there In the case of BYU run in a salt lake and smack in the utes. You've got a poltse on this fan base. How do you think it's going to look and how do you think it's gonna feel? How do you think it's going to sound. It's eight fifteen, it's going to be cold, it's a four and fourteen. What do you what do you anticipate as far as you'd fans shown out on Saturday night?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think early on, you know, especially as Utah lost to Houston and stuff, there was an initial reaction that I'm just going to sell my tickets. I don't really care. Let be what you you know what I mean. But I think as kind of those games went down, you want to be there, right. You want to be a part of that action. You want to be able to make sure that you're loud and representing your team. At the end of the day, this becomes one of the biggest games on the schedule, and so you want to make sure that you represent them. I still think that it'll only be a pro Utah crowd, but I wouldn't be surprised to see a ton of blue there right Like those BAU fans are going to buy up every available ticket that they possibly can. I think there's a real potential here for this to be as close to a fifty to fifty crowd as you can get in a home stadium. I don't know that it'll be quite that, but you know, b what you is going to show out and they're going to try to do whatever they can to minimize what Utah does. So I'm kind of fascinated to see what it is. I still think there's a large majority of Utah fans that are going to maintain their tickets and stick with the game. But it's hard not to blame them for wanting to sell it given what's happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I'm with you all right.
Speaker 2: Before I set you loose, just give me a quick thought because lost in well, the busiest time on the sporting calendar is the Utah men's basketball team gets rolling tonight Alcorn States, And certainly for me, I've got to dig in a little bit more. I've been pretty football centric and you know, jazz stuff, But just generally speaking, what is there to expect from this team? They're picked to finish last in the Big Twelve?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, I think this is a team that has potential to be kind of the roster that Craig Smith wants, right. I don't know that it's going to be as good as last year, especially in a Big twelve that it's going to feature several talented teams, But I think if they can kind of hit on the right things, they're definitely not the last place team there is potentially could be, but I think they have potential. They've got some good shooting, they move the ball around well. Defensively, they seemingly always get in that mix with a Craigsmith team. I just think it's really going to come down to if they can share the ball, if they can move it around and hit their shots. You know, I don't know yet that this is a team that will really make a lot of noise. But I don't think they're going to be as terrible as many think they are either.
Speaker 2: All right, buddy, well, I appreciate your time. Should be a fun week, so keep up the good work and we'll chat soon.
Speaker 10: Sound great man, Appreciate it all right.
Speaker 2: Josh Covers University, University of Utah for our friends at KSL. You can check them out on Twitter at JFERKSL is where you find them.
Speaker 1: Two your Internet. Just all right, what's going on?
Speaker 2: It is time now for the Drive at five powered by the Larry H.
Speaker 1: Miller in Draper.
Speaker 2: It's the Ford King, Utah's number one volume Ford Dealer and they're going to be any trade in price in town by seven hundred and fifty dollars anytime any day. Find us online at LHM Ford Draper dot com. The head coach, you'll bring him young Kalaude Satake. He's gonna stop by if you miss. Coach went his media availability from earlier. We brought that back around, as we are often want to do on Mondays during the college football season.
Speaker 1: Of course, it is rival re week. Say it slowly.
Speaker 2: You're talking into a mike this week, if you're on radio, if you're on TV doing a little podcasting, you got to say it slowly. Don't get daffy ducked. So of course that's gonna be the bulk of the coverage this week. Of course, other things going on as well. Monday Night foot gets going tonight to wrap up Week nine of Pro football with the Chiefs and the Bucks live at Arrowhead. But this is a big one, as it is every year. It's been three years since they've played, BYU breaking a nine game losing streak last time around. BYU has not won in Salt Lake since two thousand and six. This is the one hundred and second time these two teams have played, but the first time since twenty eighteen that the game has been here at Riiseco Stadium. So doing a bunch of different things, I want to remind you if you're a youth fan heading to the game on Saturday, download the official mobile app of Utah Athletics. It's called Utah three sixty that has all your game day information. You can download your tickets and your parking pass right on your phone. Military Appreciation Night coming up on Saturday night. And obviously, as we've discussed all day and we'll continue to discuss throughout the course of the week to get you ready for this game, a lot at stake for both teams.
Speaker 1: In different ways.
Speaker 2: So kind opened up BYU opened up as a five point favorite, and it pretty quickly moved down to four. Now I thought it would continue to move. I'll be honest as I tell you do not gamble on sports. You work too hard for your money, keep it in your bank account, keep it in your pockets.
Speaker 1: But for a rivalry game, for the road team to.
Speaker 2: Essentially have Vegas tell all of us they're about eight points better than Utah because Vegas builds in three typically for the home stadium advantage, and all of us understanding how this game typically goes five felt like a spread people would jump on, but they haven't moving over moving only one point.
Speaker 1: That tells you that people that do this, like there.
Speaker 2: Are people that actually gamble essentially for a living, and dig in to all of these lines to try to find out as a wise guy, how you can affect the line or where your money should go. There's not a lot of action as of now on Utah by you essentially indicating that line is about right according to how people think this is going to go. So as we've been talking about all day, and if you miss coach with from earlier, go to our website.
Speaker 1: It's ESPN seven hundred sports dot com.
Speaker 2: Utah is gonna do the same quarterback thing where they're gonna not announce who's gonna start. It's gonna be Brandon Rose, Isaac Wilson, according to what we've been told, that will receive the reps with the ones, and then we'll probably all find out when Utah runs out to take the field for their first offensive possession. Josh Furlong, hawked on earlier outlined some injuries that may of course hinder the University of Utah because it feels like that's just the deal has been for quite some time along the O line. I cannot speak to it. I don't know for BYU side of things. Connor Pay, who's their starting center, has been out for a while. Calotti said it's unlikely he's going to play in Cody Apps who just poor kid can't stay healthy but has not been really one of Jake's favorite targets. Looks like Cody's gonna be out as well. And on BYU side, if you pay attention to landscape of the Big Twelve, some good news occurred for them over the weekend because essentially, you know, over the past couple of weeks, as Utah's season has gone south ironically enough, and BYU season has done the exact opposite. I feel like the conversation around this game BYU Utah has been essentially Okay, this is Utah's chance to spoil BYU's Big Twelve championship chances.
Speaker 1: That's off the table.
Speaker 2: This is not an elimination game for Brigham Young by any means. In fact, there's a world that BYU goes two and two in their final four and still goes to Dallas to play for the Big Twelve championship. Texas Tech, we told you, we gave you that game on Friday. Texas Tech was able to up NI with state names, so they're they're not clean anymore. BYU's the only clean team, and is Houston good question mark? Is anyone good question mark in the Big Twelve? Or is everyone just bad. I have no idea, but Houston got to win over k State, and so there's a chance BYU could lose a couple of games and still make get into the Big Twelve Championship game. Now as a result of the unfortunate reality of what Big twelve football has turned into, because I will I mean, look, honestly, I was hoping two teams would separate themselves from the pack in order to give this conference a chance to have two teams or also to protect in the contingency because I thought Utah would be where BYU is. I thought, as I've said for the past couple of weeks, I get.
Speaker 5: A lot wrong.
Speaker 2: I don't know that I've ever been as wrong as I've been about this Utah football team. But in the case that Utah Football somehow could have done what we thought that they would do and make it to Dallas to play for a Big twelve championship, you know, should they have been undefeated or with one loss, the hope is the other team that they were playing also undefeated one loss, so in the chance that Utah lost that game, hopefully finding a seat for them in the CFP. Obviously, that's completely off the table. But this is no longer an elimination game for BYU. I mean, of course twelve and ZO would be special. Any undefeated season is so difficult, quite frankly, any level any sport, let alone college football. I think SABAN had two undefeated teams that won national championships.
Speaker 1: I mean, it just doesn't happen very often.
Speaker 2: And I don't know what the CFP committee would do with an undefeated BYU team coming out of the Big Twelve, because it's clear that what happened over the weekend of the Big Twelve forced this conference to take a bit of a hit with the public sentiment for who people think they are, and listening to a bunch of stuff this morning to get ready for the show today, most everybody's landed on that's a one bid league. The champ gets in and that's it. And at this point I don't see an avenue forward. I mean, if BYU gets let's just play this game. If BYU gets to Dallas undefeated, if they beat Utah, they beat Kansas, if they beat Arizona State, if they beat Houston. By the way, ESPN's FPI gives them an eight percent chance of doing that, and I'm sure they're just analyzing the conference and trying to dig through the minutia to.
Speaker 1: Find out what's real and what's not.
Speaker 2: We were going to do our Big twelve power rankings today, but as I told.
Speaker 1: Porter, I'm like, what's the point.
Speaker 2: The Big twelve power rankings today sound like this BYU was one and everybody else is tied for I have no clue because that's just kind of the deal. There were eight undefeated teams when we last spoke on Friday, and as of today, there are five, and of course BYU's one of them.
Speaker 1: They stayed nine in the poll.
Speaker 2: Indiana moved up because they continue to stay cleaning with the win over Michigan State. But if BYU goes to Dallas undefeated and Iowa State has one loss, and Iowa State beats BYU, does BYU have a chance to get in? I don't think so, because the rest of the schedule isn't that difficult. They've already played a pretty tough schedule, one of the toughest schedules in the Big Twelve.
Speaker 1: But I think that's the unfortunate reality.
Speaker 2: Even if BYU is undefeated and they play a one los Iowa State team, in Iowa State beats them, Iowa State goes and I think BYU stays back. I mean that's the problem with and look, we saw this in the Pac Twelve in a way, the Big Twelve has kind of proven to be as far as narratives there are created by people to cover football in the conference, it feels very similar, like more often than not, we're trying to ascertain is the Pac twelve just bad? Are these just bad teams beating up on each other? Are there one or two elite teams? I mean, Utah certainly had a very very good team winning a couple of championships.
Speaker 1: Are there one or two elite teams?
Speaker 2: Or is it just a bunch of average teams that are like beating up on each other. The Big Twelve has kind of manifested itself that way, and most people thought that it would. I was just hoping most people were wrong, and certainly most people have been plenty wrong about several things that have happened this year. I mean, Oklahoma State, along with Utah and k State, were a top most of the preseason polls, and Oklahoma State can win a football game no matter.
Speaker 1: Where they play.
Speaker 2: The Gundy's record in Stillwater prior to the season was insane. I mean, he never loses down there, and this year, it doesn't matter who they play, doesn't matter where they played. They cannot win a football game in conference. They lose to Utah at home, they lose to West Virginia at home, they lose to Arizona State at home.
Speaker 1: They're zero to three at home in conference play.
Speaker 2: It did be Arkansas earlier this year, but in conference play they have fallen flat on their face. So yes, several things about this conference feels like they're completely flipped up, flip up, flipped upside down. It's very much bizarro Seinfeld stuff. As Byu wrote, who would have thought b Yu is going to be the five point favorite? Now the line is four over Utah to start the year. But that's where we find ourselves. So for Byu, it's not as clear cut as it was prior to the cast that happened last week. They can lose on Saturday and they're still likely to go to Dallas for Utah. Really, it comes down to one opportunity, and yes, I know there are other games, but Iowa State they will be here. It will not land the way Brigham Young will when BYU rolls into town. It's a different game. Everybody that's been around it knows it. There's a different level of pressure, there's a different level of anxiety, there's a different level of energy, and there's a different reward if you find a way to be great for one day.
Speaker 1: There just is.
Speaker 2: We remember Brett Ratliffe, right, We remember Brandon Burton's block. We remember those moments when a player has the ability to find it within himself to be great for one game and that game is against by U. When you have a big game and you lead Utah to a win, it will change the way the community feels currently about this football team.
Speaker 1: Now, we have to be honest.
Speaker 2: Nothing will change the inevitable ending of what this season is going to be.
Speaker 1: It's either a throwaway bull or no bullet all.
Speaker 2: As I've been saying all day, the only thing worse as a college football program with expectations like Utah football had, and they have high expectations. The only thing worse for a football program that's used to winning conference championships and playing in Rose Bowls. The only thing worse than playing in a throwaway bowl game is not being eligible for one. And there is a world where Utah football does not go bowling if they don't win on Saturday at Boulder Home against Iowa State on the road short week after Thanksgiving in Orlando.
Speaker 1: UCF Colorado's good. Iowa State I think is good UCF.
Speaker 2: I'll put in a group of like ten teams like I don't know, they can get you on any night, or maybe you smoke them.
Speaker 1: The problem is the data that we have in front of us.
Speaker 2: It just can't give you any confidence as far as what we've seen from Utah football so far. It doesn't mean it won't be different on Saturday, it doesn't mean it can't be different for the final four games.
Speaker 1: But trying to spin.
Speaker 2: It any other way than really a horrible disappointment is disingenuous, It's dishonest.
Speaker 1: I can't do that. I'd like to. The data indicates the defense is.
Speaker 2: Still like a top three maybe top four defense in the Big twelve. I mean, most of their metrics are really solid outside of getting to the quarterback and causing turnovers, two things that BYU has been elite at this year. In a way, and you'll hear from Kalani coming up. What Kalade Satake has done is taking the mo of Kyle Whittingham and he's out Utah.
Speaker 1: Utah.
Speaker 2: They're the ones creating turnovers, They're the ones getting the quarterback, They're the ones that are causing havoc plays. BYUS outscored opponents sixty nine to ten off of.
Speaker 1: Turnovers this year.
Speaker 2: You can be very reductive with rivalry games and just talk about the turnover battle. Certainly that'll be paramount. But if you want to talk about that BYU has been ten times better than Utah at that dynamic of playing football right now, I mean, there are very few things right now that Utah is clearly better than than BYU, making this very intriguing and making this an opportunity for Utah football to show this fan base in this community one more time this year, because look, call it how it is. This is the biggest game left on Utah schedule. I think the game in Boulder, which by the way, that will start at ten am next Saturday, which is kind of nice on Fox as opposed to these late games. We have the UCF start time at six o'clock. We still don't know the Iowa State start time. But this game eight fifteen Saturday night pregame coverage will begin at four to fifteen. Porter big I Osciata will have that for you. Cast the Utah characters coming through. Check out our tailgate starting early in the day, and then tune in at four to fifteen. But this game Saturday Night at eight fifteen, it's going to be chilly. Looks like it'll be clear, which is nice. This is Utah's, in my opinion, final chance this year to show up and show out in front of this fan base that is just waiting. You can feel it at every game. You can feel that the top is about to blow every single game. But you got to give him good football cheer four and to me, Saturday night is an opportunity for the Utes one more time to show against that team. If you could be great one day, you're remembered in this community forever.
Speaker 1: All right, wrapping it up.
Speaker 2: When Dot she just do Quincy Jones bumps every day? Man, I gotta say this has been kind of a groovy bump day.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of with you. As a result of his.
Speaker 2: Massive catalog passing away at the age of ninety one, a legend. If you've not seen the documentary, it's highly recommended. Monday Night Football tonight. It will wrap up your week nine in the NFL. Bummer about Zach just came across the wires. Zach Moss injured neck. Looks like he's gonna be sidelined for a while.
Speaker 4: Yes, everting more information there. Obviously we friends of the program. Zach is a friend of the program.
Speaker 2: So we'll well, when you're filling in, Yeah, fair enough, that's so dude.
Speaker 7: You do that.
Speaker 1: I know that you do that.
Speaker 2: You save all your ute homies for when you're filling in.
Speaker 1: I'll be really just Zach that like genuinely hops on with me when I host.
Speaker 2: But for a while, like I would be on vacation and all of a sudden I get the rundown for the show. It's like, Zach Moss, Eric Weddle, Britton Covey, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, what going on? That did happen one time? It did happen one time? That's one too many, young man. But anyway, Zach Zach Moss, Yeah, he'll be.
Speaker 4: He'll be sidelined for a while, probably a multiple week thing. And that's set a time when he's kind of fighting for starting reps at the running back position. So bummer there, but not the first time that that guy's fought through injury and made it back and become a starter again.
Speaker 1: So did you.
Speaker 2: See did you see the video? I've got to say good for Jason Kelsey.
Speaker 10: Yes. So.
Speaker 2: One of the things, and this is not a hot take, Okay, a lot of people believe this. One of the things that is the most bothersome element of society right now is people. As Mike Tyson has said, the problem with people now is you can say whatever you want to to other others on the Internet without getting punched in the face. And what you have are these And by the way, I'm sorry, I can I cannot stand influencers.
Speaker 1: I'm so over influencers.
Speaker 2: So what you have are these people with cell phone cameras in their hand trying to create a viral moment by outwardly insulting others by saying horrible things about family members. And look, Jason Kelsey addressed it tonight. And I'm not one to advocate for hater violence, but in that moment, to see that peon little influencer who was trying to create the viral moment with his phone looking like he was about to pee down his leg when Jason Kelsey was in front of him. I got Jason Kelsey's back on that one.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm with you there, I'm with you there. Obviously, it's it goes beyond like just trolling people in public. We've gotten to a point now where people are like harassing people in public to get views on their YouTube. And yeah, I don't know why we're making some of the people famous that are because they're like I don't mean to be rude, but like little chubby kids and their dads who say boom really loud, like as a famous person because they go to Costco. I don't know what the hell is going on with society, but I think it's reflecting upon larger scale things. I'll just say that, and I would like to, yes, move on, move on from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, ultimately this is probably just the world now. And I knew as soon as they monetize social media apps there's no going back. Like people are legitimately paying their bills off these social media accounts, which is okay. Just go watch the documentary on the social network stuff.
Speaker 1: What do they call it, the social dilemma?
Speaker 2: And then when you understand the business models of the people behind the scenes, part of this was ultimately to allow people to monetize their presence on the platform, so you couldn't do away with them, like we hear people talking about, well we got to get rid of TikTok because of the ties with China.
Speaker 1: Good luck.
Speaker 2: At this point, it's permeated in society where people are paying their bills on the platforms, which is part of the model, and.
Speaker 1: It's not going anywhere. There's really no going back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and as you said, there's an incentive for people to continue to do what they're doing if it's getting them views, it's getting them clicks, it's getting them attention. That's the big one, I think. And yeah, I don't like it. I don't really get it. Like I turn on YouTube and I scroll through and see the people that are in the feed and Spence, I feel like I'm in a like a Rick and Morty ultimate alternate dimension, like not a real place. But I hope I'm not the only one.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, it's dark and here I can't see the sticker that's on my sweatshort.
Speaker 1: What does that say? You voted? Thank you?
Speaker 10: Do?
Speaker 1: I need to send this out on social You gotta make my vote official. You got to post it online or it doesn't get to tabulated.
Speaker 2: The RT virtue signaling. But I am wearing my sticker. I'm gonna wear it to the grocery store tonight. Should I wear it on talking Jazz with Dave five?
Speaker 1: Yes, because you know Dave will bring it up. I'm sure he will.
Speaker 2: My guess is Dave and I don't have much to talk about in that realm of the world, and I think I'll leave.
Speaker 1: That test it tonight talking on TV. I will not be invited back. Hope, Hope.
Speaker 2: You're all of voting. If you don't vote, you can't say rip about the outcome. And so election Day is tomorrow.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: Rant Overporter, What comes our way on a Tuesday show.
Speaker 4: On a Tuesday edition of the program, we'll do Little Hoops. Tim McMahon for the NBA Daily Assist, and then we're talking college football. It's Scott Mitchell on site in person at ar Up for the Utah Blood Drive. Austin Coley, the former Cougar, an NFL wide receiver, will stop by the program. Riley Jensen will stop by the program. So we're talking quarterbacks, we're talking college football and sneaking to little Hoops as well.
Speaker 1: Good stuff. We'll be out and about on remote.
Speaker 2: We'd love to see you guys at Arup Blood Services and with that will say good night's special. Thank you Richard Smith, Kalani Satake and Josh Furlong for you to the sound you made miss from the show. Websites and option ESPN seven hundred sports dot com download our mobile app, Take us on the Go. It is the ESPN seven hundred out that's available for free in the App Store or the Google play Store. And then finally, for what we do in our space, specifically four hours every afternoon, check out our podcast page which is called the Drive with Spence. Check it's that's available wherever you get your shows. Hit us up with a rating or review, give us all the stars, say nice things. It helps out for Portram Spence saying Tonight Utah Men's basketball, Monday Night Football, Busy Monday Night comes you right next right here on ESPN seven hundred