Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property, And for this week of March thirty first, we are continuing with Lost season two, episode fifteen, Maternity, in which we find that women can stupidly go charging through the jungle to possibly face off with unpleasant individuals just as well as the guys. Hey, power power to the c Yeah, it's just you know, you don't have to be a guy to be an idiot and do something extremely dangerous that is not necessary at all.
Speaker 2: And just do you think something's something's wrong with the baby. Claire thinks that something's wrong with with Aaron, so she decides to go find the place where she was basically held hostage and tortured because she thinks that's the place she needs to be to help him.
Speaker 1: Like, I doesn't doesn't the hatch have like a huge closet full of this stuff? I?
Speaker 2: Or maybe maybe Claire doesn't know that.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, but Jack does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But Jack's like, ah, he's fine, what are you talking about?
Speaker 1: You know, the whole thing, the whole plot of this episode is ridiculous. But I do feel for a mom who a doctor says he it's nothing. They'll get over it. They just need to be sick for a little while and then it'll be fine. They just caught something from somebody. What. It's not like this kid is going to daycare.
Speaker 2: Right exactly where is he catching?
Speaker 1: Is he catching normal childhood illnesses from? There are no other children anywhere to be found Jack. There is nothing, from a parenting point of view, nothing more unsatisfying than having a doctor saying, yeah, don't trust your insects. Now, I know it's fine. It's nothing. Even if it is truly fine and nothing. That is not what you want to hear.
Speaker 2: You know exactly.
Speaker 1: I mean in a way you do because if it's fine and it's nothing, you don't really have to worry about it. But you're still don't worry.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just the dismissiveness. If it's if if it's a doctor who's like, I understand why you're worried. You know, this looks this is scary, like if they're if they're not patronizing and not dismissive, you may be more inclined to actually fully.
Speaker 1: Right, we are reminded that Jack is not a PD.
Speaker 2: What you need is doctor George Clooney in this situation. Yes, he was a pediatrician.
Speaker 1: He would both diagnose your child in a way that made you feel comfortable and loved and also plunge to the jungle ofness.
Speaker 2: He would be happy to.
Speaker 1: An episode he went down into the sewer to rescue a kid or something like that.
Speaker 2: It was like a storm drain. I think you're right, Yes, in the middle of the storm.
Speaker 1: Of course, he's the guy you want, both for the gentle diagnosis and the extreme danger the heroics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, so yeah, this was.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe his plane will crash soon. It's it's exactly. Actually, they could just turn a corner in the g there, Yes, there's I've been here for months.
Speaker 2: They're always finding people and places on this on this island. So yeah, you're quite right, yes, yeah, yeah, I mean yeah. Ethan, the the actor known as Tom Cruise's cousin, is so creepy during this episode. Like good for him, but yikes.
Speaker 1: The director. You imagine the director saying, you're doing a good job, man, just turn out the creepy a.
Speaker 2: Little, a little more or a lot.
Speaker 1: Let's comb your hair down kind of into your face in a way that's going to look like how could Claire Claire was clearly drugged, Yeah, because otherwise she would be saying, get me away from what is wrong with him?
Speaker 2: He's so weird. Yeah, and then we just Kate just opens a locker in this deserted, weird bunker and she finds like basically all the ratty old clothes that the others have worn in their presence. I'm not sure if she knows what to make of this fake beard, yeah, fake beard, glue for the fake beard. But she just seems to be like, huh, that's odd like she doesn't. I mean, she is bigger fish to fry at the moment, I guess, but I'm sure it will come back as a point of interest later.
Speaker 1: So yes, and they all think that Russou just seems to beclean one of the game. Has Kate ever even met her before? Kate seems to be like, oh, yeah, that's her, right, And hasn't she sort of been a secret crazy person that only certain people have met. Yeah, but she's come on down, stand by our beach, lead us through the jungle. It'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Well, as you said last week, Sayid said, don't tell anyone to on a Aunt Lucia about that about Danielle. So that's one way.
Speaker 1: Let's just assume that Aunt Lucia immediately went and told every sleep and body.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: So now they're like, oh, there she is, Oh we heard about you.
Speaker 2: How's it going about the baby? Oh yeah, they knew about Russell because she tried to steal the baby once. Remember that's true.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true, they did.
Speaker 2: So by all means, let's follow her into the jungle, go to her for help.
Speaker 1: As as Clara puts two and two together, there possibly a little swiftly but there is a girl at at this bunk seems to be about the same age as Russell's baby would be. And uh, Russo, here's this information. And then like immediately says something rude and splits so well.
Speaker 2: She says, if the baby was really sick, you know, you know what to do or something. I hope you know what they must be.
Speaker 1: Don't like, be sure to kill your baby if necessary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, something really ominous.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the information that mine is still alive, Please be sure to kill yours. So long?
Speaker 2: Yeah, goodness, she's fun around the campfire. Yeah, yeah, quite a lot of you know, mothers and daughters. And uh, you know Claire giving aaron to son and then well, are you a mother? Like, well you're asking.
Speaker 1: It's like, as as sorry as I feel for Jack being so dismissive of Claire, Claire being that dismissive of son puts my adoptive mom back up. Hey, lady, you're leaving me with your kid. Maybe don't disrespect me on.
Speaker 2: My way out? Exactly.
Speaker 1: You lost points there.
Speaker 2: The son clearly sees that this is a ridiculous errand yeah, do not do this.
Speaker 1: But this is what mothers do. We do ridiculous errands for our children, and maybe it gets us a little vacation from the cen. No, no, I can't possibly stay here with him. I must go off in search of a repetueure. You take the kid who won't stop crying. But I was expecting Sawyer to pop up at some point and going, can't you make that kid stop crying?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Wasn't he the baby?
Speaker 2: Was he was? He?
Speaker 1: Shouldn't he be reading now that he has glasses again, Yes, he should be reading.
Speaker 2: He has glasses and a book, so he could be. He should be helping in this scenario. Do we even see him? I don't even remember. Oh we saw him when Kate said I need a gun, and you're not allowed to ask why that was it?
Speaker 1: Well, there was a there was a whole plot here about repressed memories. Handily the clinical psychologist, but she declared herself to be as she passed her business card. We happened to have one there right at hand to help with repressed memories. Which I always wonder about that stuff. From a parenting point of view. I have two kids who don't remember anything about their earliest trees, and sometimes I feel like maybe something happened back then four years for my daughter a year and a half. It's worth of my son's life. Maybe something happened that we should know. Maybe something happened that's had an impact on the current day. Maybe they should, you know, have a full grap. I mean, I feel bad that they don't remember anything about their earliest childhood, although I'm not sure how often earliest childhood is remembered. My end, Yeah, I know I lived in Glendale because my parents told me. I don't think I remember anything about it. But then on the other hand, I think, you know, if the memory is repressed, maybe it's rust for a reason. Exactly basically what you're saying is something horrific happened to you. Let's open that door ouption. Maybe it's just as well to just.
Speaker 2: Leave well enough well, especially when it just sends her on this ridiculous errand that was unnecessary and extremely scary.
Speaker 1: So maybe we could have just kept kept the forgotten forgotten. I know they say with with kids, or I guess with any traumatic memory that the brain maybe doesn't remember, but the body does, and that's why you have certain reactions to things. And for that reason, it might be good to go root it out. But yeah, I don't know. Yeah, yeah, I've always been sort of of two minds about whether that is a good thing. Right, Possibly, you don't really don't want to just do it on a beach with somebody who says they're a psychologist.
Speaker 2: Exactly if you're going to do it, it's part of a lengthy therapeutic process, not five minutes on the beach.
Speaker 1: Let's open this door and then send you off through the jungle to have flashbacks. Oh well, you know, I guess it's dramatic. Although they didn't really find anything of I mean, she got she got the booty she needed, single blue booty. But they didn't get any medicine, they didn't find any All they did is sort of find evidence that the others are kind.
Speaker 2: Of sketchy bogus, which we pretty much knew.
Speaker 1: I think we knew that. I don't think that's news, but you know, never hurts me. And meanwhile, we have Henry Gale still prisoner in the hairt Echo comes to visit. Yes to I guess, apologize to somebody who might be an.
Speaker 2: I guess just in case, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I got to apologize to somebody. There's possibility you're a bad guy, so I'll apologize to you and then cut off. According to lost Pedia, he cut off the two tufts of hair he had been growing under his ches right for that purpose, presumably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like in order for that to have been effective, they needed to be longer.
Speaker 1: They were like, guess in half an inch, and I think they need to set it up like Curly saying, what's the deal with that beard? Bud just growing two pieces of beer under your chin, and Echo would explain that, you know, it's for the purposes of cutting it off later should he be able to believe the burden of his conscience. But it just sort of was like it looked like he was going to slit his throat and then he didn't, and then he walked away, and my husband and I are both what was that?
Speaker 2: So I looked it up.
Speaker 1: But from a parenting point of view, you have to appreciate the expert way that Henry played lock just playing mom and dad against each other just masterfully. Okay, I have to be locked here in my room, but I'm gonna make some films.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and I'm gonna listen to everything you say.
Speaker 1: Yes, you guys, he can hear you. You know he can hear you, just maybe I don't know. Go to a different part of the hatch when you're having your conversations, yes, and lock when you go back out and then throw cutlery across the room, he's gonna hear. He's gonna know score. So you know, Swayer has already played them against each other. You would think they would have learned their lesson, but instead it's gonna fact. So Henry continuing to look like not a dude who dropped from us.
Speaker 2: Fell out of the sky and put from a balloon. Come on, work on your story.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess he could just be a clever guy who's trying to escape from captivity, but yeah, I don't seeming kind of scoreless absolutely also skillful.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but kudos to them.
Speaker 1: We should get together. They would be able to completely run a con on it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I have to give kudos to the makeup department because he looks like he got beaten up pretty bad, so.
Speaker 1: Joy putting that on every struggle. Yeah, see where was that bruise?
Speaker 2: Brid You need to look at our reference photos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as an actor, he looks he looks particularly good as somebody who's been beating up. So play is that well? Possibly because he plays character as we get beat up. But there was a lot going on in this episode leading to really.
Speaker 2: Absolutely nothing, right.
Speaker 1: I mean, it seemed like we were going to learn things. We found this other hatch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's now we're up to what three.
Speaker 1: Claise flashbacks were super scary. We thought we would learn something, did we really? I think we just.
Speaker 2: I think we could have guessed a lot of that if we wanted to, which I didn't really want to.
Speaker 1: No, No, I did not. I could have done without all the flashbacks of horrific medical procedures. Let's show that needle Hi I enjoyed. I guess when Echo came into the hash hatch and wanted to talk to to Henry and Jack, I think says, if the alarm goes off, don't tell him what it's for? And Echo goes what is it? Does anybody really know the What would you tell Henry it was for? It's just for us to go and hit a button. We don't know why.
Speaker 2: Nobody th.
Speaker 1: Oh. Also, you guys, you've already beaten this dude up. You've walked him up in a dark room. You're gonna give him Dustyesky, seriously, do you not have something fun? Even Hemingway would be better. And Hemingway is pretty depressed too.
Speaker 2: I thought, I have some like.
Speaker 1: Romances maybe, or some Jane Austen or how but.
Speaker 2: Just a light Western or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Zan Gray, where are the Zane Gray books? I bet there are some on those shelves. Come on. That's like Cruel and Unusual Punishment.
Speaker 2: Side I mean is that at our library, we used to have a Western second and it was quite small, and so we folded it into general fiction. And we still have occasionally people complaining about, you know, why is there no Western section? But when I tell you that, like ninety percent of them were written by the same guy. So you just have to go to that shelf in general fiction and you will find them all. William john Stone.
Speaker 1: He's got still some mysteries, you know, like a locked room mystery.
Speaker 2: He might relate in his locked room. I thought maybe because the book was so big and fat, I thought Locke like smuggled something in there. For a minute. Uh so, I guess not.
Speaker 3: But but you know, there was plenty of five episodes from now it may pay. Yeah, there was lots of room in there for him to carve out a hole and stick something in there.
Speaker 2: What I do me?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean nothing against Osio. It's classic literature, but yeah, it reminds me of reading Anna Karennaa when we were waiting to adopt our kids in Russia, and it was like, this is not correct for the the.
Speaker 2: All happy family. Please.
Speaker 1: It brought I already brought the wrong literature on that trip, because I think I read Smellless Sense of Snow when we were in the hotel room, which was super depressing, and then then Anna Karenina and you know, next time Agatha Christie, lots of Agatha Christie fill your suitcase?
Speaker 2: Will next time?
Speaker 1: Anyway, No, next time I go someplace that could be potentially heartbreaking, I'm I'm bringing the fluffy romances, I think. All right, So next week on Lost, we will continue with season two, episode sixteen, The Whole Truth. And that's it. They're gonna tie up all these hands. We're gonna be died. It's over already. We're gonna learn the Whole Truth.
Speaker 2: Excellent. I can't wait for that.
Speaker 1: Won't that be?
Speaker 2: Guys?
Speaker 1: We'll have so much time on our hands upsoards now, I think we can assume that on this show the whole truth means probably no truth at all, and if not, just maybe a slipper thereof. And we will see you back here tomorrow to discuss Running Point, to discuss see you back here tomorrow to discuss Running Point. Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, where you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.