Speaker 1: And we continue on bread Rogan, Rodney, Pete not a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: Don't forget.
Speaker 1: We stream live all over the world on the iHeartRadio app. Download the app. You can stream the show wherever you go. And if you miss any part of it, go on back listen to the podcast because Kevin puts it up a minute we get off the air. If you didn't hear our one, you didn't miss much. No, that's not true. That's not true, Rodney, that's not true. Freddy, Come on, of course you miss something. So anyway, get the app and take us wherever you go. We want to be a part of your life. We want you to be a.
Speaker 2: Part of our life. You can always be with.
Speaker 1: Us, hold us near and dear to your heart.
Speaker 2: Just get the apple stream the show.
Speaker 1: All right, Let's get back to the Dodgers and welcome on the Godfather our good friend Ned, Coletti and Ned, thanks for being here.
Speaker 3: Hey, always a pleasure to be with you, guys.
Speaker 1: Hey, Ned, let me start with this. Rodney and I kicked it around in the first hour. Everybody's calling the Dodgers the Evil Empire of Baseball. They're ruining the game, They're spending too much money. If you were sitting in Stan Casten's chair or Mark Walter's chair and you heard accusations like that, what would you say.
Speaker 3: I'd probably laugh. You know, it's a competitive business and if you can't keep the pace, maybe it shouldn't be into business. But LA may be the number one sports destination spot in North America. Dodgers and what they've done is phenomenal. How they've structured contracts deferred plus signing bonuses. Who they can attract to come and play for this club. Hey, people can complain about it, but to me, it's more jealousy than it is anything else. Oh, they're not They're not breaking any rules. They're playing by the rules. And is it a little bit of a contrary to how a lot of people think. Yeah, But you know what, that's where greatness comes from. Comes from contrarian thinking many times and doing something that the competition wouldn't do, wouldn't think of, or couldn't do. Not everybody's going to want to take deferred money to the extent that the players are taking it. But to play in LA, to play for this organization, hey, they'll be fine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, mat can you and just explain to our listeners to ned that this whole situation with deferral and defern money, it's not a new thing, right, I Mean, it's been around, and so the people that think that the Dodgers invented this and they're changing the rules or anything like that, it's been around for years. I mean they've been and to your point, there's been people that had done it successfully and then there's been some other clubs that got in trouble when they had to pay out some of those deferrals and it didn't work out for them.
Speaker 2: But it's been around for a while.
Speaker 3: But it goes back to the turn of the last century with two thousand and one Diamondbacks if you look deeply into their roster that won the World Series fifty Yankees in Game seven. If you look at their roster, their ownership wanted a team that could win, but they couldn't afford to compete with the other big market team, so they signed players half now half later. And because of that, and to make sure and the union protecting their constituents their players, they made sure they changed the laws, and not the laws, but the rules a little bit. Well, you could defer, but you had to be able to fund it. You had to be able to prove that you had it sitting on the side someplace that you were going to be able to get it when the payment became due. And Arizona kind of changed the line of thinking and made teams kind of put money aside to do that. But you know, you're from about two thousand and one, that's not long ago where it was a dominant part of the narrative for that postseason. And now they wanted and they did it. But if you look at their star players on that team, half took their money as they were playing, half took it later, and whether or not they could afford to pay it later maybe became one of the you know, the points of contention that forces teams now to show MLB and to show the union, Yeah, we've got the money set aside here, We're going to grow the money and we're going to use the money. But it's here. And I think when you think about the background of Mark Walter, Todd, Bowley, Stan Andrew, that entire group magic, you know, that's how they think. That's like right in their wheelhouse. So that's what they've been able to do, and it keeps their aav a little bit lower. It keeps their their luxury tax a little bit lower. You know, if if a player is going to get forty or fifty million dollars of third ten, eleven, twelve, thirteen years out, you know, and they're making they've already made fifty and they're going to make another fifty in the meantime. You know, if you can't get by and then he got away for that deferral check, well kind of you know, shame on you. But you know, it's all part of the deal. It's all part of the landscape. They just ahead of the game. They're just smarter than everybody. I'll say one more thing too, about about ownership. There most franchises, and this is a generality, but most fan bases have a hunger for success larger than the owner. Hey how can we didn't do this? How can we didn't sign that player? Hey, how can we didn't acquire this guy? Hey? Our people are chief, our people, you know, they want to win. But they want to win you know, the on the the economical feasible side, we don't have that. We have almost the opposite. Even though we have four million pain customers, you know, millions watching the biggest franchise in baseball now global between Japan and Asia and the United States and Latin America Canada. The fan base is massive. The fan base is hungry. But are they hungrier than Mark Walter in San cassid and Andrew and Todd Bowley and Magic. I don't think they're hungrier than those guys. Well, we have a unique situation here where the ownership is so driven for success. I'm not going to rest on a World series in twenty twenty four, in a world series in twenty twenty but hey, you know what, Let's keep going, Let's keep adding to it, and let's make it as unbeatable as you can be, knowing you still got to play a season, knowing you still got injuries and different things that are going to come your way. But let's build it to run the table, not only now but for a long time.
Speaker 1: You know, Ned, I think you make a valid point. Anybody that owns a team cannot plead poverty. But to be honest, most people cannot generate the revenue of the Dodgers. Nonetheless, they generate revenue, and I think what you see with the Dodgers is they immediately reinvest where there are teams that do not reinvest, and you probably oversaw one of those. You think, with all due respect and not by your own choice, you would have done it, but a different time anyway, yeap. When teams complain but they're not reinvesting, do they even have anything to hang their hat on?
Speaker 3: I don't think so. I don't think so. You know, they it's a perfect I'll call it a storm. But it's a perfect situation for the Dodgers and it's not quite as perfect for other teams. But if you're an agent, or if you're a player and you have an interest in you're a free agent and you want to go someplace and you want to win, you're going to have more money than you know what to do with. You're always asking how about the Dodgers? How about the Dodgers? You think they're asking, Hey, how about the Giants? You know, no, disrespect them and I love the people there, and stuff like that. But are they saying that, I don't think so. Are they saying the Padres right now? I don't think so. Who they saying that about the Dodgers? And you might find a second or third somewhere down the line. But that's that's it's a very very short list of where players want to play and where they're going to get paid. And maybe you overpaid whatever, but you hear the story, Oh I took less to come here all the time? Sure or false, who knows, but it's the place to be. One more thought on this, it's and they've had twenty years. I mean, I go back to almost almost twenty years. I'll say, Okay, our time there when won five and nine and lost on the last day six times. You know, it was good, it was successful. It's been ultra successful since. I think they're just getting started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: I think they're just getting started as well and getting ready to go on a historic run. But when you look at it, ned and I've said this before, Yes, the Dodgers have got some great players on this team, but there are a lot of great baseball players in this country, around the world that are in the minor leagues around this this major League baseball, and there's some other teams with some pretty good rosters. When you look around, you know, you look at the Mets what they're doing, and the Yankees and the Phillies have a really good roster and it's the reason why you haven't seen a back to back champion since the Yankees did it in the nineties. It's still going to be competitive. And then when you look at how you spend money, and you can speak to this too. The way the Dodgers spend their money is also smart because there was an argument that laradyment Reno spent money, but he spent it on some players and maybe aging players, or and didn't spend it in scouting or didn't spend it in the minor league system and development and all those things. And you have to be a complete franchise, don't you be able to have sustained success?
Speaker 3: There's no doubt it's it's sort of the toughest thing to do in athletics. It's tough to win, but it's almost it's ten times harder to win more than once. It's not just twice, as it's far more than that. But the sustained success is a is a study. I mean, it's something I actually teach at Pepperdine and we you know, we owned there's not many teams organizations we can't study because it doesn't happen yet often. And what are the reasons for it, you know, it's another part of the story. But the Dodgers have and they sustain it. And I worked for Mark Walter and Todd Bowley and Stamsons. But I think three two and a half seasons the end of two twelve, thirteen and fourteen, and you know, I went from you know, kind of begging to do stuff, you know, and just you know struggling to you know, to make things work, you know, and I had to do what I had to do type of thing, you know, not looking pretty sympathy. That was a job. But when when they came in, I can remember almost immediately the thought process was I went from how are we going to do this? To you know, we an't almost do too much because because Mark's hunger Ford right out of the gate was like it blew me away. You know, how about this guy? You like this guy? Oh yeah, we love this guy. Go get him? Like this guy? Yeah, go go get them. I mean, you know, you can't necessarily do they wait for free agency or wait for a team to want to unload big time salaries and great players. But it was of all the things in my career, at all the drastic things that I've seen go from a to Z. His personality, his appetite for success, and his willingness to invest in it and to go all in for it was startling to me. And I still don't know if I know anybody else in the sports business, and I've been in it for almost fifty years at a high level that goes at it the way Mark and Todd, Stan Andrew Magic go at it and the other ownership parts. I just don't know that anybody else does that. And look at the success State had and as I said, I think they're just getting started. That said, yeah, Philly, you know, teams can win US George Series and things like that. But as you you know, and I spent time with the San Diego some San Diego people about a week ago, and then some American League people that they had a good run this past year went to the playoffs, and they all asked, how do they do this? How do they just keep doing this? Every time you read somebody signing, you know, the elite players, it's always going to the Dodgers. And that's how they do it. They have built a destination, they have built success, they have suctained success, and they are willing to invest in the product far beyond what anybody ever dreamed anybody would But that's what they do.
Speaker 1: Ned colletis where they're speaking about investing in the product. You know, the big catch this year in free agency. Obviously the club signed Blake Snell, Confordo, Tanner Scott, but the big catch was Sazaki And when it came down to it, despite all the chatter and conversation, and he might want to go to his mentor you darvish, he may want to go to Toronto.
Speaker 2: He really liked the city.
Speaker 1: He ended up exactly where everybody knew he would end up with the Dodgers. He's twenty three years old, he's six foot four. From what you've heard, how good could he be?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean there's some miles to go for him, but you're talking about a deluxe skill set and compete and desire not just to be good, not just to be rich and not but to win a championship. I mean, much like show Hey, much like Mookie, much like Freddie. I mean, he fits perfectly what has transpired in the last couple of years, which is really the makings of that sustained culture. Sustained success is the next generation. They are starting to sign Yamamoto Sasaki will start right there. You're talking about a number one and number two that are not not old. You know, they're both they're both learning the major leagues and they've already got two of the equivalent of number one picks, and we're in a draft if they were draftableth players, not just the first pick in the draft, but undeniably like you don't even know who two, three, four and five are there so far behind and and that's what they've done. So they're they're building yet another generation. And they know everything begins and ends with pitching, so they're they're on their way to another generation. That's why I say what I say, they're just getting started. This is just this is mid stream with with you know, more more, more championships and more great days to come. But they're building the second another generation of players.
Speaker 4: Net given all that and given the players, because that's been a thing, well, Dodger's got all the players, and they should win it every year, but that's not always the case because you have to manage everything went down last year with all the injuries on the pitching staff and then the bullpen was lights out that helped him win a title.
Speaker 2: How perfect. Is Dave Roberts for this situation?
Speaker 5: Oh uh.
Speaker 3: I've been on your show many times and once in a while when things are not they never go that bad, but they start to teeter a little bit. It's all what about Dave Roberts. You know, fans all the time seeing me know about that. You know, I think he's done a phenomenal job. And when you put his record up against those in the Hall of Fame, you take all the names off it, and you put winning percentage and put championships you said, put playoff appearances and all those things next to it. Who do we know that's been better than this? There might be I mean Joe maybe when he was in New York, you know what, They may be doing that too as we get going here. And the Yankees didn't have the run of this Dodger franchise for over a decade, you know, Bobby Cox in Atlanta, Yeah, great run. Stan was part of that, a lot of divisions, a lot of postseasons one World Series. I think what he has done is phenomenal, and I think how he does it is a master's class in leadership. He is a player's manager, But that doesn't mean you get away with stuff because the manager is going to say everything nice about you, even in defeat. No, they're responsible, they respect. I think you know, I'm not in the room, but I think when you go back to Game four of the series against San Diego last fall, they're facing elimination, san Diego's got Dylan sees their ace on the mound, that Dodgers got a bullpen game on the road, and the Dodgers win eight to nothing. I think that, to me was a statement game, not only for the twenty twenty fourteen honest sway that the World Series, but I think it was a statement game of support for their manager. Came after Manny matchiado, I'll toss the ball, tour dug out all of that stuff. But you know, who knows if they lose that game, if Dave is here, I don't have any idea, but there's a possibility I guess that he wouldn't be here. Maybe slim, but I think when you see players rally for leadership and rally to making sure that this person who's had my back for a decade now or if you've been here that long type of thing. But my entire Dodger career, for the most part, you stand up for that and you see to compete of it. Whenever managers get fired or maybe head coaches in football or basketball, it's because the team stops playing for him, right, you see it. They become lack of days ago, they don't have attention to detail. They're almost they're pushing the issue of getting rid of the leader. Never seen that here, never seen it.
Speaker 1: You know, when I look at people that are coaches in this city, and then I look at Dave as a manager of the Dodgers, he's sort of the textbook in however you're going to lead a team great with the media, always answers honestly, players are held accountable. And just the thing I always say about him, you ask him a question, you'll give you an answer, and he doesn't sugarcoat it, just give you an answer.
Speaker 2: I don't know. There are not a lot of people like him as a person ned.
Speaker 3: No, exactly right. And the players and we and we see it, you know, we see it every day, but we see it sporadically in the course of a day. Sometimes the players see it every day. There were you know, their their ability to understand him and vice versa far exceeds any of us at the same you know, we're like passing through. They're sitting there every day and I think, you know, you make great points. And that's that's what he's done. And you know what, I go back to the type of player he was, and I've been around him a lot. I was never with a club that that he was with. I did TV when it's early managing days here. But he had to work to be a player. He had to understand the intricacies of compete walk on at UCLA, you know, not a great player, but a really good player, and the intricacies of the stolen base which will ride in history in the city of Boston. All those things. He has taken great talent and I think he's instilled in them the attention to detail that you need to be great, and he needed it to survive in the big leagues and he needed it to manage. And you know what, I may have my facts a little bit askew, but he was in San Diego before he was in LA right, and they change managers and he wasn't the guy they changed to, right, So you know how many things is he had to fight for overcome, be smarter, work harder, be more diligent. Then when I look at people's success in any walk of life, those are the characteristics that separate the mediocre from the good, the good from the great, the great from iconic.
Speaker 2: And that that's why, that's why you're right iconic.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know if I'm iconic. I might be.
Speaker 4: Okay, Ned, you're better than Okay, are you kidding me?
Speaker 2: Come on, come on, brother, you're the man.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: All right, We thank you. We're coming on today as always. We'll talk again.
Speaker 3: Soon, Okay, thank you always.
Speaker 4: I think he's iconic, Rodney ned Colletti. There's only one Brett. There's only one. There is only one, only one, baby you know who else? There's only one of Mick Cronin.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: He had some thoughts the other night that we've got to let you hear. That's next, right on, right right on, right on.
Speaker 4: What it is Pete red Rokie back back on a Tuesday with a special guest.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we're gonna have to postpone our Mic Cronin sound, which we'll use next segment, because a bigger, bigger name just walked in at this point. Uh now in the studio with us I guess apparently was doing something to make more money. It's our good friend, Eric Dickerson. Thank you for coming over giving it. What are you recording Ford.
Speaker 5: Spots about money? I did not come over you for the money. I came to your heart. Thank you for I came up with. I got the goodness in my heart. That's why I came over. I love my one fifty, so I gotta say that too. Don't be a here.
Speaker 2: I I knew there had to be some give and take here. Of course it is.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I'm like the man. You know how the man is. Yeah, I know how the man is. Eric, You the man?
Speaker 1: All right, now let me ask you this, yes, uh, of course, everybody getting really excited for the Eric Dickerson Show Friday. It's spot like twenty nine Casino and Coachella. What can you tell us about the show since it's obviously your show, what can we expect?
Speaker 5: Well, you can expect a good time. Uh uh. There's been some funny stories on air, for sure.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 5: We know that. You know Fred, we know where you Fred is, Fred, So you know you know you know that. So just come out to have a good time. That's what it's gonna be all about Fred. We have a good time on the show. I love going out there and I like to see the sign, says Eric Dickerson. Show like right now this and I heard him saying, this is the Ridney Piece show.
Speaker 2: I'm on.
Speaker 5: I'm want to ride the Beach Show. I'm big time. I want to write in the Peace Show. Fred rouban on a show I don't have coming back go te Fred's coming back to you.
Speaker 1: Uh now, listen, when are you gonna get out there? Are you gonna all buyast Thursday night?
Speaker 5: Of course I am Fred. I know you well you are. Are you already out there? You will be there no doubt? Belly belly empty or so?
Speaker 2: Is that something we should play?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, clearing up a bet, Fred, This is just being generous, Yes, Fred, I will, I will, I will text you guys and let you know. Well, I think we've already got a reservation already set. But we'll have we'll have a reservation for sure, so we'll have some more laughs, some stories we can't tell on air for sure, but we did have fun. I just say, man, talk.
Speaker 1: Eric, I can't be there before seven fifteen, so don't do like last year and say we're starting at five thirty or six, I can't be there till seven fifteen.
Speaker 5: Oh yes, sir, massive, I'm the one to say that I can't be there that Fred, Fred, you just get that. When you get there, we'll be that way Fred.
Speaker 2: First of all, Edie, first of all, Fred, you're down there.
Speaker 5: Thank you there.
Speaker 4: I gotta travel. Why you say, are you telling me the one? You should be there at anytime? But I don't get off for till seven Okay, well, okay, that's on.
Speaker 5: I get that.
Speaker 2: Are you Are you gonna come down early, Rodney, Yeah, I'm coming down Thursday.
Speaker 4: I'm coming down Thursday for dinner. Because, as Edie said, it's man talk, a lot of laughs, a lot of laughs. So it's always Jeff Jeff Helly. He he loved that story. He said, Man, that's one of the funniest funny stories I've ever heard.
Speaker 5: Ever.
Speaker 1: He still talks about it. Oh, it was the greatest story ever. It's the greatest story ever.
Speaker 5: I don't know what I forgot about this story. And then would be some guys on the golf course one day and I tell them the story. They were dying laughing. Man, I was tripped out. Let's put it like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you were, Yes, but I'll say this and last Year's dinner, and we'll just say there were a lot of stories and a lot of laughs. One story we can never tell on the air ever, but it was the funniest story I've ever heard. But you know what Eric did right before We're getting ready to go, It was like the finale, did you realize that?
Speaker 5: It was like the story, wasn't it? But you know, I think the thing, the thing that made it good was to reenactment. I had to reenact the reenactment Bunny to Life for us. Yes, it did so funny. People were like listening, what the hell are they talking about? So funny if they could hear it to be laughing to.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, it was the last Okay, So Cooper Cup, do you think the RAM should resign him?
Speaker 2: Eric?
Speaker 5: I do. I do think the GRAM should resign Cooper. I mean, Cooper's been a great RAM. I mean he still can play. He's still can play. I know he's had a lot of quite a few injuries. But you know, you know, I'm not in the you know, I don't I'm not in the front office to make those kind of calls, but I really think that should signed him. I mean, you know, football fred is a I hate to say it. It's just no lawty in this game. It really isn't. I mean, And that's the only thing I don't I don't like about it. It's just the Lorty thing. And he's been such a great player, plays hurt when he can, has came through, you know, made us help us win that Super Bowl we won, I mean, and has made some great catches. So I mean, for sure I would. I would try to resign if you can. Yeah, I said this to Ida.
Speaker 4: As long as as Matt Stafford is there, they better keep Cooper Cupp around because Matt, you know, he's obviously where he's during thirty seven next year or whatever. But he who knows how I thought he you know, I think he's still top top five quarterback when he when he's good to go, he's good to He as good as anybody playing in the league right now.
Speaker 2: I trust him in a game to win.
Speaker 4: I trust him as much as I trust anybody, and Cooper Cup is his go to guy. Yep, you know, Pooka's coming along, but Pooka's still young hooker still learning and still doing his thing. But when you got that safety blanket, let Cooper cup around him. He can throw to him in his sleep. And you got to keep a guy like that around. I totally agree with you. I mean, you know, I mean I was really disappointed we lost that game. I mean because I kept I kept reiterating this factor. I said, you turn the ball over, you lose. I kept saying that you cannot turn the ball over. The playoffs.
Speaker 5: I mean, I'd go back, and I fairly've heard me say this several times. I just said it to Kevin here a minute ago, and then over here in the studio. We played the Redskins in the playoffs and I had three fumbles. We turned the ball over six times, which I think we lost seventeen to nine. Man, it was so hurtful. I mean, because you know, you're not trying to turn the it just happens. You know, they punching at the ball, you're trying to run the ball. I mean, it's so frustrating, and I get it, man, I mean, if people don't realize me, I ain't throwing the sception. Hey, man, you get out there to see how they work out for you.
Speaker 2: You never not trying to bumble. You're not trying.
Speaker 4: And guys, guys, you know, and even when we play guys are they that's what they they People don't understand.
Speaker 2: It just didn't happen.
Speaker 4: Guys, work on that in practically knocking the ball out of your hand and you're trying to.
Speaker 5: Get to a hole of you're trying to get through holes running but you're trying to trying to make trying to get through and a quarterback, you know, you you got a thousand things happening in front of it, just like a bunch of car ricks happening in front of a quarterback, right right in front of it.
Speaker 4: Yep, but I gotta but you're right, you're right. It's you know, and it and it happened. All the teams that won were the teams that didn't turn the ball. Every team that turned the ball of lost that lost the game. I mean, I got to say, and there's no blame on anyone, but you know, the I think the sack really hurt, you know when they got that sack and to turn the ball over. But that sack, you know on that last drive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, man, that that hurt.
Speaker 2: That hurt bad.
Speaker 5: But you know, hey, I would say they I was loser to say the best team one and then I really believe Philly was a better team, but I felt we could beat them if we did not turn the football over. I feel like Bay was the better coach for sure, But you know that's what that's how football goes. But I want to say one thing, Fred, you know your allions. I gotta talk about your allons. Man, they had a lot of injuries. I am not lying they have. They had a lot of injury. Yeah, a lot. I mean, just like I said, what did I tell you what four years ago, Anthony Lynn, I say, when you got injuries? Fred, I think fans, let me tell someone when you've got players hurt? They had what sixteen players out? Yeah, you know how hard it is to win with sixteen players out. I mean they said they were bringing guys in that had but one day of practice.
Speaker 2: That's what I hold it against Aaron Glenn.
Speaker 4: I know he's interviewing for the Jets, but he was a defensive coordinator for that team all year long. Had to interchange all those guys, and especially.
Speaker 2: Late in the season.
Speaker 4: But you're right, man, he was like, oh Dad lude Washington went up and down the field they had I mean at the back of the back of the back up to the backup the defense, the back up to the backups, backup, and then they got guys hurt during that during the game.
Speaker 5: That was it. But I gotta say one thing, Ridney, I gotta just say this one thing. You too fraid you're lying? Yeah, y'all have become so arrogant, the Lion fans. I'm like, what's happening with the arrogant ass Lion fans? They ain't want nothing ever. They've been sorry for so damn long. Why you got to beat you all to be more humble. I don't say that again. We're walking about, man, let me tell you something. Those fans are so arrogant. My boy Chris Lego and they went there last year to play the tat the lines. And other people been saying it too. I've been heard. I've heard it quite a bit. Man. The last fan they like the Philly fans, they curse you out when you come to the stadium you have another jersey, just curse you out, you know.
Speaker 2: After you just walking I'm just walking up against the world in Detroit.
Speaker 5: It's not against the world I'm like, man, these line fans, I cannot tell you. I say, I'm pulling for the Redskins. Well with the Commanders, I'm pulling for them just because of the arrogance of the Lions. I said, that's what y'all. Sorry asses, get.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 4: So there's so many shots of fights in the sand man, I'm telling you.
Speaker 2: Taught the Lion fan. There was a lot of fights in the stands.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you know, after a season like that, boy, they did they Lion fans are really feeling themselves. Having home field advantage is like we're going to the Super Bowl and they had already off their tickets and all that kind of stuff, but you still, as you know, you still got to play the game. And Jared Golf picked the worst game to have his worst game, you know what I mean. You know, I feel bad for him because he had a great season and they had a great season. But to have it come down to that where you just you have you know, you want everybody to play their best and they come out come down to just the better team one at the end of the day. But when you play your worst game and the biggest game, that's that's hard to take.
Speaker 5: That's hard to take. I'm gonna tell you. Let me tell you that the new wave quarter back, you've got to be able to run and throw. That's that's the wave quarterback. That's it. I mean, if you ain't got one of those, you know, it's it's gonna be hard for you to win. Because you can have a great offensive line. But if you got a quarterback that king runs, it's gonna be tough. That's that's that's my only knock on Matt staff and all that.
Speaker 4: And they were not great runners, but but they moved in the game last night with the title game. When it when it's third and three right and you and nobody opened, Your quarterback got to go get.
Speaker 2: The first time.
Speaker 4: You gotta get the first down. You got to get you got to go run, get it first down. And the days you're right, the days of just stationary not being able to move, those days are old.
Speaker 5: Days are over for quarterbacks. I mean, you've got to have an athletic quarterback. I mean, and like I said, Matt Stafford, that's the only knock I can have on him is you know he just can't run. He's got a great arm. I mean great arm. I mean, you know, he's thirty seven years old with you, thirty seven, thirty six, thirty seven. But you know, but I'm like I said, I'll still take I'll still take him now. I still keep what we got, but it'll be nice to have a guy that back him up, that was athletic, can run and throw.
Speaker 1: You know, like Eric, you mentioned what happened when you flighted against the Redskins and the playoffs, and you've told us that story number of times because it sticks with you. Mark Andrews a tight end for the Ravens, not only fumble the ball which probably turned the whole game around against Buffalo, then he dropped one in the end zone for the two point conversion. How long because of what you've said against Washington? How long does that stay with you?
Speaker 2: Fred?
Speaker 5: Let me tell you something that's gonna bug him forever. I mean, it will and they will show that because you know from the social media is different now, they'll keep always showing that kind of stuff. It will bug him forever. I mean, let me tell you how bad it is when you when you have a game like that and you go, you know, you go back with your team and when you go to bed at night Man is haunting. That's all I can say. I mean, I mean I couldn't sleep. I mean I was depressed. I mean, because you're not trying to flip front of the pumble the ball, you're not trying to miss the PASSI you're not trying to turn it over. But when it happens, it's like, it's just it's my fault and it's not his fault. It's it's not his fault. I mean, that's that's a team that game. But you know Edie and to this point, everybody has games like that. Everybody, everybody, every player that's ever played, Michael Jordan's had, Kobe Brown has had bad games. Every player's ever played Tiger Woods have had bad golf day. We still have bad but I mean everybody, Yeah, everybody did. It happens to all of us, no one, And when.
Speaker 4: Something different, Fred though, I think when like Edi said, when it when it comes at a point where it ends your season, that's it. That's the difference, because everybody's had those games. I mean, everybody's been Mark Andrews, everybody's like Edie said, he fumble three times. Everybody's thrown four interceptions in games like that, everybody's done it. But when it comes to the point where your season is over, then you have the whole off season, unfortunately, to think about that and to feel it, and then people are talking about it, and it's hard to get over. Eighty just said it. It's hard to get over that. It's hard to shake it. I'm telling you, I'm showing that. I'm seeing it right now. His fumble it was. I feel bad for him. The guy punched it out. He punched it out, that's it. He didn't bumple it. He pushedne that technique.
Speaker 5: He punched it out of his hand. I mean he had to ball secured it. Look like I say, man, you can't. There's a lot going on on that field. Let's put it like that, all right.
Speaker 1: Well, Eric, thank you for coming in and slumming Willis. That was very kind of you. As we prepare for your big show on Friday at Spotlight twenty nine Casino in Coachella. And the bottom line is this all you got to do from any place, just get on the ten freeway. Just hit the ten and come on down. It's pretty simple. Take I don't know, depending on where you're coming from, could take you an hour. And a half might take it too, but come on down. The show starts at noon. We get there a little bit early. You know, we're giving away Eric at your show. You know the stuff we're giving away. We're giving away. Uh, we'll take its to a Raider game next year. We're giving away Boys in Blue opening Wait, tickets in La mutually upon date. Okay, uh, fifty five inch Westinghouse TV. All right, getting you're signing a jersey. By the way, I don't know if you know that, but we're giving away an autograph jersey. I have no problem with that. But we're giving away a Christian or Koye autograph jersey. All right, my friend, And we're giving tickets to your Hall of Fame Fellow philanthrop Party presented by the Young Warriors at the Canyon Club Sunday, February twenty fifth. Canyon Club is Goody club is really good. It's really good. But let me let me ask you a question for it. I'm like Time of the Sword in that were you rushing me out of here? While you're rushing me out there?
Speaker 5: I didn't come out here, Jemmy rushing me out there?
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, Eric, do me a favor just stay around for five more minutes? Can you stay five minutes? If we come back, I want to tell that story, all right, just stay around for five okay. Yeah, of all the bits of brilliance that Eric has contributed during his time with us, that was a classic.
Speaker 2: And we'll talk about it.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, come on, Roddy p Fred Rogan and special guest Eric Dickerson in the house.
Speaker 2: Come on, let's go. All right, Eric, thanks for hanging around a little bit.
Speaker 5: Appreciate it, Okay for it? Hey, that that commercial was funny. Hymns, Him's got ed? Yeah, well, him's got ed? So what's the deal by a little hymns? You get a little eg?
Speaker 6: I guess a little. I don't know, but that's supposed to work the opposite. All right, he got him anyway? Okay, what we gotta tell the story? Oh my gosh, I would laughing thinking about it. Oh yeah, no, you brought it up. So when we first started doing our segments with Eric, and it's expanded into what it is now. Uh, He's at a barbecue one weekend and he runs into Tommy lit sorta. So for whatever reason, and Eric, you love Tommy. I love tom That's all right, Dodger fan.
Speaker 1: For whatever reason, Eric decides he's now booking the show and he says, Tommy, why don't you come on down. We're doing the show in Orange County and you can be on the show.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 5: No, that's not right. I didn't book him, y'all. I asked him, and I said, we wouldn't come. He said, oh, yeah, we're a lot to have him. That was you too, you like all excited. Don't put that all on me, but go ahead. That was a barbecue.
Speaker 4: When when Eric said we got tom I can get Tommy, you said no, I don't want him, or you said yeah, yeah, get him for sure.
Speaker 1: No, what I said was what I said was it was kind of in the infancy of the football show with Eric, and my comment was, I don't know what Tommy's going to talk about when it comes to football. But I should have remembered when we did a Super Bowl postgame show together. So we're down in the BJ's in Orange County and in walks Tommy. So now I'm sitting there and I'm thinking, all right, what are we going to talk to Tommy about? We've been talking all football. The show hadn't evolved Rodney to what it is now where anything goes right? All right, So, uh we put Tommy on. We sit him down, and you know, Tommy was not as with it at this point in his life. He wasn't as quick, he wasn't as sharp.
Speaker 5: You know, he was older, yes he was. He was sharp, Yes he was. He might have been he might have been shopping when he was younger, but he was still sharp. Trust Okay.
Speaker 1: So we set him down and actually, at this point, God loved him. We had nothing to talk to him about. I mean, he wasn't gonna talk about football. Uh so we just can't want to or he just him there or what. It wasn't gonna happen. Trust trust me, it wasn't gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Just go with me. It was not gonna happen.
Speaker 1: So anyway, before we went on, I said to the producer at that point, okay, well how long are we keeping Tommy? And he said one segment? I said, okay, great, So we bring Tommy on.
Speaker 2: Eric.
Speaker 1: We you know, we talked to him, we hid around with him a little bit, and the segment is over. It was one segment we brought him out of twelve forty five. I remember it like it was yesterday. So we bring him out of twelve forty five, we must have done eight nine minutes with him, which is a normal segment. OK, and uh, I go all right, Tommy, listen, thanks for coming down. Really appreciate it. Uh good having you on the show. Thanks so much. Now go ahead, Eric. What does he do on the air?
Speaker 5: What the hell do it?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 5: I come down there for one segment? What do you you think I'm some kind of scrubs? I mean, he goes off. What mean I'm tom and the sauna? What the hell you think? I just I've drove way over here for five minutes. I mean, I'm not coming over here for five minutes. I've been friends in there with like like the like did you say one GD segment? I said dump Tommy twice. I was on the I can't say the stuff. He said, you can't, please don't. And Fred had the deer.
Speaker 2: In him light. He was saying this on the air.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was saying, I mean, he was cursing.
Speaker 1: And I said, at first I thought he was kidding. Use you know how Tommy got no. I thought he was kidding. He wasn't kidding. Tommy was spitting and everything, right, So I said, what do you want to stay around for another segment? And I think you went no, and then it went no Tommy.
Speaker 5: He said hell no, right said no, no Tommy, we will stay another segment. They stay a few more minutes. I think we did two more segments with him. We start talking some you know, some baseball or football, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that that was on you.
Speaker 5: It wasn't on me, Fred, that was but you said yes, you just said no.
Speaker 4: No, I wasn't. That was on you. Let's figure this out. So so Eric shm booked him Tommy on the show. You said yes, Fred, Right, Well, I.
Speaker 2: Said, what are we going to talk to Tommy about it?
Speaker 4: I was told wait, go back. Eric said he could get Tommy on the show. You want nobody talk to me? Nobody talked to me. I told you, no, nobody.
Speaker 2: Talked to me.
Speaker 1: Here's the story. I was told Eric went to a barbecue with Tommy. And the first thing I'm thinking is great, Well, I don't care. But Eric went to a barbecue with Tommy, invited him to come on the show. And I asked, for what, what's he going to talk about? Well, now I don't even really believe it's happening until I look and he comes in with his posse of people.
Speaker 2: If you remember, he was surrounded by people he came.
Speaker 5: I think I think Chris might have came with him people, three people with him, three people, but in his eighties. I mean, you know Tommy too. Are you talking about Fred?
Speaker 2: I'm not, I'm not saying anywhere.
Speaker 5: Timing was funny. I gotta say that. I mean, it was hilarious, right, but what he showed my ass, it was so funny. If you if you could have saw Fred's face, That's what got me. Fred was like frozen, Like okay, I sid he was goofing around what by saying the words he was saying? He wasn't goofing around it man riding. It was so funny. I'm not lying, I'm like it was. It was funny, and it was uncomfortable for Fred because I could look at his face. I want to hell, Fred, come on here for one damn segment five minutes. I drove away from like I said, deer in head like Fred, I.
Speaker 4: Didn't know you want to you on the air too, looking at Fred.
Speaker 5: I was watching. I was watching Fred's reaction and he was like, okay, Timmy, what have you? No, I don't want to stay, No, I said, he stayed. We stayed about twenty minutes. At least twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: Yea. At that point I wasn't making them gone.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, no, we ain't no choice. But it was at that.
Speaker 2: Point it was his owners you want. I don't even know what we talked tomorrow yep.
Speaker 5: So anyway, that was it.
Speaker 2: You have any special guests play for Friday?
Speaker 5: Eric, Uh, I got my special guest, my friend Christian Okoy is gonna come out the Nigeria Nightmare. You know, I'm sure that. Uh, the Kansa City Chiefs. I think they're gonna be Ba Cheat himself. It's the chief himself. I think they'll make it back to the super Bowl again. But you know, I called him and told him congratulations because they love him and they love him in Kansas City, they really do.
Speaker 2: I'm happy.
Speaker 5: Christian is such a good, good, good good guy. Really yeah, yeah, good guy.
Speaker 2: But I take a great job with the California Hall of Fame as well.
Speaker 5: Great, he really have a great, fantastic job. Fantastic job.
Speaker 2: Are you and that yet? Eric?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: California Hall of fame.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I went in a long time ago. You and Fred yeah, I yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, Foundation Christian do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Like I said, one of the best people you ever meet. Yeah, yep.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, I guess we'll see you Thursday night somewhere for dinner.
Speaker 2: Is that correct?
Speaker 5: You got it? Fred, I'll get you to I'll get you all the details.
Speaker 1: Well, say Thursday night and the show is Friday. It's Spotlight twenty nine Casino. Your Southern California Ford Dealers are helping first responders with donations and support to the LA Fire Department, California Community Wildlife Recovery, as well as Feeding America and the American Red Cross. If your vehicle was damaged by the recent Los Angeles area fires, your Southern California Ford Dealers are offering you employee pricing.
Speaker 2: That's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Employee pricing plus no payments for one hundred and twenty days. That is really generous. It takes all of us to turn heartache into hope, rebuild, and make it home again. La strong, built, Ford proud. All right, As we continue, Rodney, you want to win that mc cronin.
Speaker 2: Sound, Yeah, let's do it, mus do. It's always a gym yep