Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day. Now here's Nick Coffee.
Speaker 2: We are just one day away from the NFL Draft, which is uh exciting stuff. I'm surprised we haven't done any draft, like any drafts yet. That's your that's your task for the day, Austin. Think of something we can draft, something we can draft. I got you we did, uh what did we We've done it before we did.
Speaker 3: The last we did was rom coms.
Speaker 2: That was Valentine's Day thing, I believe. Okay, yeah, I mean we don't have we've got you know, well, let's do this. Try to think of a couple of things, and we can do it tomorrow and Friday, because of course the draft is you know, it's a three day thing, of course. Yeah, so we'll have some fun with it. I mean again, we'll talk about the actual NFL draft as well. But uh yeah, I don't think that that shit or Sanders is going to be a long term franchise quarterback for anybody. But I you know, what do I know? I just you know, I I think this quarterback crop is actually pretty poor, which as much as I love Tyler Schuck. I think that's one of the reasons why he was able to really just emerge almost out of nowhere as a guy that you know, might even be taken in the first round. So but anyways, the reason I bring that up is because it seems as if as we get closer to the draft, the one guy that's just apparently getting completely uh you know, drug through the mud is is shit Or Sanders. And part of me says, well, yeah, that's that's that's there's always at least one guy that anonymous NFL executives start to just completely you know, clown and act like they're terrible. But I feel like with him, it's kind of, you know, like I put it this way, let me just read this. This is from let me see where this this is, and it's not super important, but I always try to credit where, you know, where this stuff comes from, just because you know, that's what you're supposed to do. But this is from Complex Sports, and I think they are actually quoting an actual insider. But anyways, here is a quote an NFL assistant coach had on shadh Or Sanders. Quote the worst formal interview I've ever been in in my life. He's so entitled, he takes unnecessary sacks, he never plays on time, he has horrible body language, he blames teammates. But the biggest thing is he's not that good. Tell me how you really feel, a NFL assistant coach. And so again that's now being positioned by a lot of people as Okay, here we go, these anonymous NFL coach is talking without putting their name on it, just trying to talk because you know, like that's a pretty harsh thing to say. So and again, every year there's at least one player, mostly a quarterback. Usually it's a quarterback that absolutely, you know, just gets completely body bagged anonymously, and you never really know if it's a smoke screen or if it's legit. And obviously sometimes people get it wrong. But maybe I'm just a hater because obviously I'm not a huge fan of Colorado and Deon Sanders and whatnot. It's not that I you know, I just think they're pretty easy to dislike. Let's be honest, I'm not the only one that enjoyed seeing them get humbled. But then again, they don't get humbled. They could lose by fifty every game. But if they're still you know, generating all this attention online and playing for clicks. As Dan Lanning said, then like they still remain arrogant. I don't think they've ever actually been put in their place. I think they're not really about you know, winning. I mean I say that kind of tongue in cheek, but like you know, they it's a circus, is what it is. Now. Travis Hunter is really special, and I think that we'll look back and realize that the only reason Deon Sanders ever had any level of like success at all is because of him more than anybody else. So shdoor, Sanders is clearly not a bad quarterback. But like whenever I watched him, I never felt like he was great. So therefore, whenever I see the last part of that quote he's not that good, I don't think that's like some out of this world. Can you believe he said that this guy's crazy, he's wrong, Like I think, you know, at what point did he ever really look that good? I mean not to say he's bad, but I don't think anybody would have been shocked if he was graded out as like a mid round, late round guy based off his performance. But again, the hype train keeps rolling, and because he's just always talked about and you know, I guess maybe he's a little bit raw, maybe a little green to where they think that they could really turn him into something special. Like nothing would shock me with him. If he gets taken early wouldn't shock me. If he gets if he goes late, he wouldn't shock me. I don't mean like late, like you know, late rounds. But anyways, outside of just you know, his play, I mean to me, he he absolutely had some some you know, some characteristics that would would scream red flag to me if I'm drafting a guy that you know is going to be the quarterback for my franchise, Because if you're taking a quarterback in the NFL draft early on, the vision is that he is going to be the face of your franchise. He is going to be the key cog in you being able to no longer find yourself drafting early because you're you know, you don't want to be a terrible team that has to draft early. But like the worst formal interview I could see that. I mean, it's not it's not unheard of, I guess, but whenever he was playing, was it Nebraska and they killed him early this year. I mean, Nebraska just beat them down, and I mean it was it was embarrassing. And you know when just taking simple questions in the press conference, this dude completely threw his offensive line under the bus like he was entitled, didn't take any ownership, hadn't seemingly had no leadership qualities. I mean, blaming it all on his offensive line. I think he responded to one question about, you know, him getting pressure in the game. Did you watch the offensive line out there? Did you see what they did today? Like? Who does that? Again? He's not wrong. I think the offensive line did suck, But nobody says that even as a college quarterback, this guy's about to potentially be an NFL quarterback. I mean, maybe it's just me being a hater, but for everybody claiming, here we go another coach afraid to put his name on it, just talking bad about a player just to do it or to maybe throw somebody off, and you know, maybe they're doing Maybe this coach doesn't believe it, He doesn't believe anything he's saying. He's just doing this in hopes that other teams get worried about drafting him, so then he falls to them like, that's the kind of stuff people are saying about this story that broke today, and maybe they're right, or just maybe that's a coach legitimately saying what is true. I mean, I don't think that that's I mean, let's be real. Ever, I feel like if you were to just peruse all of the big names out there that cover the NFL Draft that, like, you know, we've heard of mel Kiper McShay, I mean, who else, Ian Rappaport, Schefter. There's a lot of big, big names that cover the NFL that that you know, have broke stories, that have resources and all that kind of stuff. If you were to just, you know, if you were if you were to try to, you know, just get a good sample of all of their coverage about the draft. When it comes to specifically these quarterbacks that are expected to be off the board earlier than later, I think most of them would say, who I've talked to, they all believe that right now, Tyler Shuck is a lot better than should or Sanders. But nobody's saying that should or Sanders is going to be taken after Tyler Shuck because I guess with Sanders, it's more about the upside, it's more about the fact that he's got some some real ability that you could you know, he's got a lot of potential, whereas Shuck, he could certainly get better, but he's maybe almost as good as he's going to be as far as just you know, his arm. But I just feel like is should or Sanders's going to be coachable when his dad's not there. Like, these are things that I think are rare but really big concerns. You don't usually ask that about players, do you. I mean, there have been guys that that have gone to the NFL that are leaving, you know, playing fur their dad. I'm sure. I mean, I can't think of any off the top of my head, but it's not unheard of. But like, are you going to draft a quarterback who you only saw play with his dad running the show? I don't know. Just to me, take away all the off the field stuff, the entitlement, the arrogance, the lack of accountability, the seemingly you know, no leadership qualities. Take all that out, which again, I think all that stuff matters. You just base it off of his play specifically. I'm not really sure that would be warranting of him being like an early round pick. But yeah, what do I know? There is the reason these guys, you know, they they work in the NFL, and I talk on the right just to be blunt, that's just the truth. But also there's been times where people like me who you know don't even have a platform to talk on the radio. Maybe you just watch, like the arrogance is understandable for those that you know, do work in the NFL or the NBA, whatever it may be. But let's not act like it's not something that could realistically happen to where if a fan got to make the decision, they might actually make a logical decision that would work out better for a franchise. Whereas these NFL folks, they overthink it in every way. I mean, that's just it sounds crazy, but it's not as crazy as you might think. Sometimes just you know, not overthinking it and just trusting the tape that can go a long way. All right, Again, it's coffee and company and we are feel about Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven to ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us here on a Wednesday afternoon. We talked a lot about the James scott decision to hit the portal, that was a real surprise for me. I thought of all the guys that were coming back to Louisville with eligibility, to me, James Scott was the one that I thought for sure, there's no chance he hits the portal just because he's a Kelsey guy. Those two guys are a perfect combo. Pat Kelsey loves coaching him, and I feel like, for the most part, James Scott has loved playing for Pat Kelsey. And I'm sure it isn't personal. This is all business now, this is all transactional, and I think James Scott's got a chance to make more money elsewhere. And I don't think he's somebody. I mean everybody to an extent wants to worry about their role, Like it's not selfish to want to play and want to have a role that is important. But James Scott, to me, is one of those guys that's rare. I don't think he cares if he ever takes a shot. I don't think that's I don't think that's you see very often in college basketball. So but with all that said, if he's going to be playing significantly less minutes next year one, because you wouldn't want anybody like James Scott playing thirty something minutes, but you had to last year because of the injuries. So with all that said, even though he probably knew that, regardless of what happens, whoever comes in, he's going to be getting less minutes, because he probably wanted less minutes, to be honest with you, I mean, it's not ideal to be playing thirty plus minutes a game, but they had to play him that many minutes. So with that said, he could easily be persuaded by another program to come there and make maybe more money, maybe significantly more money. And also, you're gonna play more minutes than you're gonna play at Louisville because they've now got Khalifa healthy, case In Pryor's coming back, and Sonny Frew, the big man from across the pond, you know, who really knows what we're getting in him? I mean I think, you know, I think he's gonna be pretty good, but maybe he's gonna be really good, and maybe he does a lot of the things that James Scott was doing last year. I don't know. So James Scott leaving Louisville. That to me is the reminder I needed that never just assume anybody's back just because you think they're gonna be back. Now, the reports are that, and I guess it's more rumor than report. But Will Wade at NC State somehow got a got information to James Scott that said, look, if you hit the portal, here's what we can do for you. And by hitting the portal, James Scott, if anything just came him some time to think about it. But I think these things happen pretty quickly. I wouldn't be shocked if we know in the next couple of days. Maybe we know now and I just haven't seen it that louis is either going to try to pursue him and get him back and do whatever they need to, you know, as far as what they can, or they're going to just accept, Okay, yeah he's gone, and we now need to go find a replacement for him, because you know, last minute we found out he's not going to be a part of the mix. So again it's all it's all transactional at this point. And the sooner we all and I say we because I you know, I'm guilty too. I think I've had a pretty good grasp on knowing that these guys are now going to look out for themselves as they should, as anybody else would. But James Scott's the one that I just never thought would leave. But here we are now. I don't know if Kentucky fans would have said that Travis Perry was the kind of guy that they never thought would leave, but take away the Kentucky component, and I think you would have expected him to leave. In fact, take away the Kentucky component. Meeting a kid from Kentucky Lyon County, Eddieville, Kentucky, all time leading scorer in the history of Kentucky high school basketball. I mean, that's a big component. But if you take if you get rid of that, I'm not sure this guy would have ever been in Kentucky. So he decided to leave. He'll have options, and he liked James Scott. Didn't put out any kind of statement, didn't post anything on social media. It just kind of, you know, people found out about it and it got out and then sure enough, as you get closer to the deadline, people and I don't if you hear somebody's in the portal like me, this is just something that again I can't I can't escape it, and I don't know if I'm going to get the answer. But let's just say Austin Montgomery, the tribal chief, is the biggest insider in college basketball, and he breaks all the news. Nobody thinks anything's real unless it comes from him.
Speaker 3: So if you.
Speaker 2: If you hear, you know, hey I heard heard Travis Scott or Travis Perry and James Scott hit the portal and you want to do you want to It's your job to find out because that's what you do. You break stories. If you ask the coaches at both schools and they said no comment, you ask the players if they entered the portal, no comment or they ignore you left you on red? How do you know? Like can you access said portal and look at the database yourself? Like who has access to this? I think players do? Or I'm sorry, coaches clearly do because they that's how they see who's out there and who's available as they're like a button you but but you know, and again you probably would be able to call a coach and say, hey, can you tell me? Cause again it's not hidden information, it's just who has access to it right, and if you're somebody that's not you know, in the NC DOUBLEA coaching meaning like and nobody wants to tell you. Like, there's probably players that hit the portal that nobody knew about, you know what I mean, And it's probably because you know, they're not very good and they didn't. Like, there are guys who hit the portal that are walk ons that never played a game, never played a second. There are guys at the D two level that hit the portal. So like, if nobody's looking for him, nobody would know, I guess unless they just put it out there and they pimp themselves out and really try to sell Hey, here I am, I'm in the portal. Come take a look at my film. See if you want you want me to come play for you. So anyways, neither of these guys made a big deal about it. He just kind of got out as the deadline approached that they're they're leaving. So with with Travis Perry, one of the things that I that I and I think I've mentioned this before, I watched him play probably four or five times in high school and I was really really impressed and I still to this I still to this point believe that he is somebody that will play high level college basketball.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I don't know if he's going to play at a Kentucky type program moving forward, But like some people have said, Cincinnati, I could totally see him playing at Cincinnati. I could see him playing it was Virginia. I mean, I could see him playing in a lot of places as far as you know. But but does he want to have a big role or does he want to be, you know, just another guy or you know, seventh eighth man and all the and honestly, when you hit the portal, like, that's what it really depends on. And like I would imagine that he probably wants to have a big, big role somewhere or he would have stayed to Kentucky in hopes of, you know, maybe being the seventh eighth guy, but he clearly didn't want to do that. So anyways, when I watched him play, I always thought he was really really good. And I actually watched him play against Reed Shepherd, so reads a year older. But they played in the summer against each other at a summer shootout that I went to, and it was Lion County versus North Oral, and Reid was clearly the better prospect. I mean you could tell by watching Reach. I mean I remember saying it for years. This isn't just some dude from Kentucky who is pretty good for a kid from Kentucky. And he's got the bloodline of Jeff Shepherd, so it's going to make sense that. I mean, I knew Reach sheephard was different.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: He is special and that's the reason why he was a top five pick in the NBA Draft. He's a great athlete. I mean, he can flat out shoot it as good of a passer as you'll see. I mean, he's really good, and that stood out in that game. But in that one game, Perry actually outplayed him as far as just production, Like he was hitting tough shots, and you know, I remember thinking, Okay, this is the kid they've been talking about for years, because I mean, you don't score as many points as he did in high school unless you're playing varsity basketball and scoring a lot of points from like sixth grade on. So, you know, I think you can watch guys who have big numbers that are built like guys like Travis Perry, and you could tell if they're okay, really good for you know, their level maybe mid major type guy, or if they're guys that can play at a high level, and you know, you never know til you actually see them in those situations. But I think Travis Perry is is I've always felt like he was a good enough player to play at a high level of college basketball. But one thing that really hurt him last year is that he didn't make shots. And this is going to sound like an exaggeration, but I mean it. He's one of the best high school shooters I've ever seen. One of the best shooters I've ever seen he is. I mean, and I think you could tell when he shoots it, even when he misses it, that the guy's a shooter. But he had opportunities to knock down shots at Kentucky this year and they just didn't fall. I don't know what that is. I don't think it's because of some big adjustment like, Okay, well he can't get a shot off now that he's playing against better competition. I just think he miss shots. And you know, if the one thing you bring to the table that you know is a real big weapon and it's not working, then you know you're going to see the type of season that he had he just wasn't very productive and you know, just didn't work out. But I feel like he's somebody that also is at this level he's learning. Yeah, I'm not a point guard at this level. I'm a combo guard. I'm more of a two guard really, and I can score it and I can flat out shoot it, but getting your own shot at this level when you're not a point guard is more difficult. So you know, I just think he probably realized the ceiling for him at a place like Kentucky was probably throughout his entire if he stayed there four years and Kentucky was continuously going to be good building rosters that you know, you feel like can compete at the top of the sec his ceiling is probably man even as like a senior, and there's nothing wrong with that. He could probably make a lot of money embracing that role and making a ton of nil money from the state of Kentucky, because you know, Kentucky loves Kentuckians, right, I mean, he would get I mean, look, him and Noah and Trent. Noah already had a bunch of inil money just because they came. They came to play for the hometown Pro. You know, if the home state program, So if he'd chose to do that, that would have been understandable. But I think he clearly wants to have a bigger role, and it makes total sense. Like nobody's at fault here. It's just it's how these things play out. And you know, if you miss him already and you're a Kentucky fan, I get it, because again, he is a good player, and also you know, there's something special about somebody from your own area, your own state that just makes it a little bit different. And I feel like had he never you know, had he been Travis Perry, all time leading scorer, same exact player, but not in Kentucky. Let's say he's at Virginia, in the state of Virginia somewhere, never would have made sense for him to play at Kentucky at any point, especially for Calipari. And I think, you know, he probably would have hit the portal a long time ago in this process had it not been for him, kind of thinking, you know, here I am, this is my dream, I'm playing for Kentucky, But I don't know if this is what makes the most sense for me. So I'm sure it was a difficult decision. But you know, nobody's at fault. And I don't think anybody's at fault for James Scott either, And that's what's weird. When players would leave, you'd want to blame somebody, take it out on somebody, or maybe you want to blame the players themselves, like you know, you weren't loyal or oh, you don't want to you don't want to compete. I mean, maybe maybe there's some truth to that, but you know, or maybe they just realize, hey, I'm gonna go do what's best for me, because that's what any human being would do. Loyalty, it's important, it matters. I value it as a human being. But loyalty means nothing, and I mean I shouldn't say it means nothing, but it's it. It. You can't expect anybody to stick around and not look out for themselves based off, Hey, I got to be loyal to this school that gave me an opportunity, Like that's just that's foolish, to be honest with you, And you're foolish if you don't stick around for the next you know, hour and a half, because we still got the second the second half of the show, so keep it locked right here on Sports Talk seven ninety.
Speaker 1: Now back to coffee and Company fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: That's right, it's coffee and Company fueld byth Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Appreciate you hanging out with us here on a Wednesday afternoon. So I talked about this a little bit yesterday. Well at least I brought it up. I actually didn't talk a lot about it at all, other than just you know, it being one of the things I mentioned I wanted to get, wanted to discuss, and you know, I didn't do it. But Netflix they have given us a I guess a preview of one of their newest episodes of the Untold I guess this. They don't call them seasons, but there's been I guess four volumes of their Told documentary series and it's it's basically thirty for thirty, but Netflix's own version of it and the one that they're going to I mean, I'm sure there's gonna be many episodes in this new volume that's coming out this summer, but the one that they've maybe we maybe it's already out there. As far as what they're gonna cover. But one of the latest is that they're going to share the story of when and I forgot all about this, Austin. You may not even know about this, Maybe you do, Gilbert Arenas and one of his teammates when he was with the Wizards, like they brought guns in the locker room, Gerald critten in yes, yes, or Javars Critten yes yes. So you know, that's one of those things that like I remember it, I kind of forgot about it. It's not something I never really think about. But the way in which they tell stories here with this, with with this production, like I have a feeling one they vetted it and they know that there's some good stuff to share. It's gonna make it really interesting. So what I learned about thirty for thirty is that there are stories that I would never or find on the surface that interesting or even know anything about. And yet the way that they did that, the way that they storytell with the ESPNS thirty for thirty, there's really not any subject matter that I wouldn't enjoy because of how they do it. And I kind of feel like, now that's the same thing we get here. I will say that it kind of feels like anybody that does the Netflix series Untold, they get a little bit more of a pr boost than the ESPN thirty for thirty. Like I kind of feel like, if you agree to do it, then they're gonna tell you ahead of time, we're not going to, like, you know, make you look bad. I think with the SPNs thirty for thirty there was more of a look, it doesn't matter, We're not gonna make you look one way or the other. We're gonna tell a story, and the story is what it is. People can take it for what it's worth. Like the Johnny Manzel one, a lot of people said that, you know, they really didn't hold him accountable for like ruining his own life, and it was more so just like you know, kind of making excuses for why he ended up the way he was now. The one on the Florida Gators and Urban Meyer, I mean, I found that very well done and interesting, but I understood why everybody complained, like, what do you mean you did it? You did a four episode feature on Florida in that era, and like you didn't even talk about Aaron Hernandez murdering people when he got to the NFL like it was.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: It wasn't much more so of a puff piece. It was just you know, there's there's endless amounts of like drama and layers to like everything that went on during that era of Florida Gator football. And instead of instead of focusing on you know, all the things that made headlines, all the scandal, all the crime, all the arrests, they just focused on how dominant Florida was and how Tim Tebow was, you know, the savior. So I understood the complaints about that, but I still felt like it was worth watching. So again, both are great, but obviously Netflix, I feel like the Untold series is focusing more so on for me. I guess just you know, sports stories that I'm that I'm familiar with. Like the first one ever was the Malice at the Palace, the brawl between the Pacers and the Pistons, and that was that was that was great. They also did uh and again there's something that I haven't seen, but just ones that that that you know, I recommend you watch if you haven't yet. And look, I know it. Sometimes when it comes to documentary series, you think to yourself, like why would I watch The Malice at the Palace, Like, I know what happened. Uh, they punched each other and some people got arrested and there was a big suspension. No, there's way more to it, way more to it than you would ever realize, including many, many many years later, how they they were able to find out who the guy was that actually threw the first beer that started the whole thing, So that one was really well done.
Speaker 3: That was good.
Speaker 2: And then also this is what I didn't know anything about, but it was really really interesting. This one was called Crimes and Penalties. It's the Danbury Thrashers. It's a now defunct United Hockey Hockey League team, and just the story as far as how that league came together and who was running it was really interesting. And then man, I thought the best one ever was the girlfriend who didn't exist, man Titeo's fake girl, Like that was Oh okay, that was.
Speaker 3: I mean, this is the untold one on Netflix.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, So because that one, that's that's still to this day one of the craziest stories that ever happened. Yeah, in sports, and I think because it took place in like twenty eleven, twenty twelve, it was like right before the internet had the latest the latest boom that made it to where everything we do is online like every So it was clearly a big Internet thing. But like, you really can't hide a lot of stuff now because of the Internet, because of social media, because of everybody having their phone out to where back then there just wasn't I mean, this day and age a bunch of randos on the Internet. If that kind of thing happened now, everybody'd be able to determine this person's not real. But there was just enough unknown still in the world, right we didn't have access to everybody's every move and information to where people just accept that, Okay, that's probably a true story. What a great story with this guy who's an All American football player who loves his girlfriend and man, it's sad she got cancer and she died. Like these are things that I think even back then, if people really pay close enough attention, they could have figured out it wasn't real. But that one was good because he remember watching that one. He was a part of it, and he's and he's the victim. So therefore, like you know, it wasn't like that. There's really no way to make him look bad. I mean, I guess if anything, he looks foolish for like believing it, But at the end, it's just because he's like a very naive, good going guy. And also his culture, his faith is is also a component that made him a little bit more I think just some would say having blinders on him more so just wanting to see that, just not ever even having the thought that somebody wouldn't be genuine about those kind of things. I mean, they really are very samo and like everything that's chills him.
Speaker 3: Dude.
Speaker 4: You know, so I remember watching that you watch that one? That one was pretty I think that was only one that I did watch. I was excited to watch to Florida one, but I'm pretty sure when we talked about it, you said that just goes into how dominant the Florida thing is and really not into the meat and potatoes or like what everybody else wanted. I haven't seen anything else on that one. I watched clips. I basically watched almost a whole Johnny manziel one just through TikTok videos, not through actual Netflix. But I was about to ask you before we started talking about this one, do you have any favorite thirty for thirties? Because I love the thirty for thirty growing up.
Speaker 2: There's so many of them that are great, but the one that in this one, I don't even know where it would rank as far as the best, but it was. It was all new to me because a lot of these things when you watch them, you hear them share and tell the story with different information. You get different perspectives from people that they interview, but overall, like like, we know what happened. I didn't even know this was a thing. But there was an NHL team I think the Long Island Islanders. Is that their name? Yes, I should know that. But anyways, somebody fake bought the team. Do you know anything about this one? I can't say I remember that. So this was this was called big Shot and this guy came in and saved the franch you know, he bought them and if not, nobody else was going to buy them and they were going to fold. And it was a super super important, you know thing to people in Long Island, the New York Islanders anyone I knew that didn't sound right, but it's the New York Islanders, not the Long Island Islanders. He came in and bought him and it was just this oh, my God, thank you for this savior. He's he's you know, he's going to keep this franchise from folding. He's this Dallas businessman named John Spano. Who man, he's he's so wealthy and knowledgeable about hockey. He paid one hundred and sixty five million dollars. But because there was such a level of desperation to just get the deal done, nobody vetted him. He was completely full of crap, didn't have any money. He fake bought them. He was running the franchise that never bought them. So then it all, it all came to light. But like, like, well, because this so this happened, by the way, this this thirty thirty came out in two thousand and nine, I'm sorry, twenty thirteen, but when it actually took it was nineteen ninety six. So you were you born then? So I was born in ninety three. So you get so that that that that gives you an example. I didn't even know that this ever had even happened, And sure enough I'm watching thirty for thirty and I you know, so it's all new to me and it's all fascinating, and that's what made it really stand out and they're all great. I don't know if I've ever watched the thirty for thirty that I regretted that I didn't think it was good. Some are more interesting to me than others, But no, did you have a favorite that really like? The one about Randy Moss was also really, really, really popular, and I liked it a lot too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I liked I always remember liking the drama that surrounded the Steve Bartman guy, the family caught the Yeah they caught that, that they caught that.
Speaker 2: That's probably one of the more famous thirty for thirties, actually, Mary.
Speaker 4: One I one of the first ones was a Ricky Williams one. It was Run, Ricky Run. I love that one. And the also one that I really loved that made me appreciate baseball a little more was the I'll have to look it up, see Fernando Nation.
Speaker 3: It was the one about Fernando.
Speaker 4: Valenzuela and his influence on like the Dodgers back that that was awesome because it made me realize, dude, that that guy was good.
Speaker 2: I've learned a lot about sports as far as just you know, the history of things with thirty for thirty because there's so much that like we didn't experience because we weren't alive, or we were too young and whenever. I mean, really, the best way to, I think, educate yourself on big stories that happened long before you were around. Yeah, you can do research, but there's no better way to, I think, get the full scope of it than watching it featured in thirty for thirty. I mean that's I'm surprised you could educate yourself on the history of sports in our country by watching like every thirty for thirty. I really do believe that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I agree that it just puts a lot of more fun context and story behind it. But I'm shocked you didn't say the Reggie Miller one were against the against the Knicks. Yeah, I mean I like that one.
Speaker 3: I just was bringing back some bad memories.
Speaker 2: No, not bad memories, it's good memories. I mean I was really young when that happened. But like, I mean, that was my first memory of Reggie Miller. Is other than just knowing he plays from a Pacers and I like him, Like I remember the Spike League connection, so you know, heck, there was a what was it, non points in eight seconds?
Speaker 3: Is what he is?
Speaker 2: What ended up happening. Like the first blog that I read covering the Pacers was called non Points eight seconds dot com. Like, I just think that's so cool that that's what they like, that it's such a big part of the whole thing. So I liked that one a lot, and I just to me it featured Spike Lee too much, like he's part of it. But like you know, Reggie Miller, like Reggie Miller is is a legendary all time NBA player. The Spike Lee component, like is just a small, tiny part of his story, if you even would say it's a part of his story, if that makes sense. So again, I enjoyed it. It just but what really really hit me in the fields as a Pacers fan, and you know, idolizing that era of the Pacers and Reggie growing up was the last Dance docu series, because.
Speaker 3: I think that's a that's a thirty for thirty, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Technically No, I think it's its own thing. Oh okay, But to hear Jordan and Reggie talk about those battles, I mean, and Jordan respected Reggie Miller, I think more than he respected a lot of players, even players that were clearly better than Reggie because Reggie Miller wasn't scared of him, and he and I think Jordan and Bray like Jordan like really loved the battles that he had with Reggie. Reggie was nowhere near the player Michael Jordan was, clearly, but like to hear them talk about those those Eastern Conference finals back in the nineties, I mean that was my childhood and I remember recreating shots that Reggie would hit in those games in my driveway after the game, and just to hear Reggie talk about, like how cause again, a lot of people on that series just stroke Jordan. I mean that's really what it was. And that's fine because Jordan's Jordan. But you could tell like Reggie hated him, But it was because of the competitiveness that Reggie had. Reggie is nowhere near the player that Michael was, or Kobe or any of the all time greats. But one thing he had that I would put up there with those guys, not to say he's better. He had a level of competitiveness that you could sense at every moment, and that's what made him great. Like he wasn't a great ass athlete. He was a good shooter obviously, but he was just a fierce competitor, and that stood out when you watched him play, and to hear the best of all time, Michael Jordan, the best competitor, the best player ever. To hear him kind of just glaze Reggie when it comes to that aspect, Like it melted me, like I was, I mean, I mean embarrassing to say, like I had tears of minds here on it. Whenever we watched the that was one of one of the bright spots of the pandemic. We were all away and in quarantine, but they gave us each week, they gave us a new episode and it was like going back in time and reliving my childhood. That was a great documentary. It was probably one of the best ever. Really well done. All right, quick break, We'll come back on the other side. Rep of the four o'clock hour right here on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 1: Ninety Now back to coffee and company, fueled by Thornton's On Sports Talk seven nine day.
Speaker 2: We were talking about the thirty for thirty series from ESPN and of course Netflix's I mean, I call up their own version of it. I'm sure they they you know, they don't view it that way, but sports documentaries, but I'd forgot about one that came out last year that Netflix put out with the Untold series, which was about Steve McNair, which I mean, I knew the story of how he was murdered, and I mean I think everybody knows that, but there were a lot of uh it's actually kind of sad how that all played out. But there's a lot of details as far as who the girl was and how like everything happened that I wasn't aware of. So yeah, that was good, and thank you for whoever was in the text on that brought that one up. All right, we were wrapping up the five o'clock hour or I'm sorry, four o'clock hour. We get the five clock hour coming up here soon. But we'll get back into the whole transfer portal stuff. Just because with Louisville, I mean, I think now you have you clearly have a role. You mean you I think had Yesterday ended without James Scott and the portal, you still would have had a couple of scholarships available. But I don't think that you really feel as if, okay, we got to go get this type this type of piece to really be good. I think you feel pretty set, and you hope that the last two spots are just guys that you know are willing to come in and accept whatever role is is they or even though it probably won't be a big role. Well now, with James Scott gone, I mean, I still think as is you could still be a pretty good team. But you, now, I think, are more eagerly looking to kind of fill at least try to fill the void that you have with him gone. And I think for the most part, production wise, you can fill that just with the guys you have already in the mix, a healthy Ali Khalifa and a healthy case in prior and of course Sonny Frew coming over as a freshman. But I still think, you know those three with Scott, your front court clearly was in better shape. So I have no clue as far as who they're going to go after, but we can certainly certainly get into that real quick though. This story is wild. So I don't watch any professional baseball, have not and probably never will, but it seems like those that really like to watch baseball one I would recommend you find out. I mean, I'm here to tell you there's better things to do, but hey, do whatever you want with your time. I'm sure I spend time doing things you guys would never want to do. But it seems difficult to find baseball, Like you know, games are blocked out? Is it on you know, Bally Sports South? Like it just seems like, you know, it's not as easy to watch your favorite baseball team as it is your favorite NFL team or your favorite NBA team. But this is I mean, this is a nightmare. So I don't even know this was a thing MASN. Plus it's the mid Atlantic Sports Network. Well apparently it is the direct to consumer option for people who want to watch the Baltimore Orioles and the Washington Nationals. So you can pay eighty nine to ninety nine a year or nineteen ninety nine a month in order to have access to watch those games. Not crazy, I mean, I'd say if it's my team, I'd easily pay that. I wouldn't want to. But I mean if you had to pay a monthly fee to watch any Louisville Cardinal game and it was one hundred bucks a month, a lot of us would you do would pay it or we'd find a way to watch it somehow, because that's how much we care, so you know, I don't think that's a crazy price. Whoever, there was a glitch, a mistake, a technical error on the end of the mid Atlantic Sports Network that instead of charging somebody eighty nine to ninety nine for the annual price to get it for a year, there were a handful of people. In fact, it looks like nearly one hundred customers were charged eight thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine dollars rather than eighty nine dollars and ninety nine cents. So I don't know how they're going to work through getting people their money back. Clearly they're gonna get refunded, but someone messed up. I mean, can you do? I mean I feel like if you were to, like a lot of people don't have nine thousand dollars in their checking account to charge. I mean, can you again, I better have that overdraft protection. Yeah, But like again, even if you have overdraft protection, I feel like if it's gonna put you over maybe even like a couple hundred bucks, like it would still it would it would give you the overdraft protection and they would cover it, and then you of course would have to pay some fees and whatnot. I don't even know how that works, not to say, you know, we don't have overdraft, you know. I mean again, I'm a child when it comes to money. My wife, you know, she handles all that, so I don't even check our account, so I don't even maybe she could have a drug addiction. I would and I wouldn't know about it. But what I'm getting at is, I feel like, even if you have like protection and you can have like rollover from savings if it comes if checking gets too low, I would imagine if it's a nine thousand dollars charge, like the bank wouldn't let like you. They wouldn't even be able to charge you that, right, you know what I'm saying. Like, I feel like even if you have an insane amount of money and a nine thousand dollars standard charge from a company that's like a TV network, I feel like your bank would flag that and say, yeah, that's not like right. But apparently some people, uh you know, they got charged and now they're fighting for their money and they are going to pay them back. It's just I would imagine that's it is wild. How you know, when it comes to refunding, you know, that's what good businesses do, but man, they have no problem immediately taking your money and accepting it. But there's always some kind of a delay. It's going to take a certain amount of time to process. Okay, well you say so, Alright, five o'clock hour next right here on Sports Talk seven ninety