Speaker 1: We're Tomy Lorenzo and this is the Pop Style Opinion Fest. Hello, kit is welcome back to another edition of the PSO. I am the team. You're Tel Tom Fitzgerald, and I'm here with the low and your te Lorenzo as my lovely husband. Why are you lovely husband?
Speaker 2: Wonderful, wonderful?
Speaker 1: You don't sound it.
Speaker 2: I am wonderful, you are wonderful.
Speaker 1: We have things to discuss this week, and actually, pardon me, I'm going to start off by getting a little serious here and doing something that we almost never do, which is give a little trigger warning. We are going to be talking about John Cogliano and Ariana Grande, which means we're going to be talking about anti semitism and eating disorders today. And you know what, if you just heard that and said I'm out, I actually don't blame you if you don't want to listen to that sort of thing. But we cover celebrities and we cover fashion, and these are two of the biggest stories of the week, and we feel like we need to unpack these things. I want you to understand that when we talk about Ariana later in the podcast, it is about the media circus surrounding her. It is about how her team decided to frame this issue, and it's about fandom. It's not about her. We're not going to sit here and criticize her looks or criticize anything about her, because that's not what this is about. We are two people who have been writing about celebrity and fashion and public image for twenty years now. We have been covering her for almost that entire time. So yes, we have a few thoughts, but we're first we're going to talk about Galliano. Yeah, yes, yes, Oh, I didn't know what you were asking for me. Yes, we're talking about John Galliano. It was announceda yeah, it was announced this week that the twenty twenty seven metcala uh, the exhibit that you know. As to explain once again, the metcala is always based on whatever exhibit is running in the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art. This year, the or next year, the institute will be putting an exhibit together honoring John Galliano. It just to give you a rundown here. John Galliano, he he worked for a bunch of designers, but at the time he was at Dior when this happened. He worked, I mean his his fame is when he was with you, when he was with Dior. And I'll start by saying that Colliano was a genius. Colliano was one of the greats of twenty first century fashion. But when he was working for Dior circa two thousand in the aughts, sometime it because he got drunk. He I believe has struggled with addiction issues throughout his adult life. He was drunk in a cafe and he accosted to women who were I don't know if they mentioned that they were Jewish or he assumed that they were Jewish, but he started ranting about how much he loves Hitler and how you know they're all going to be sent to the camps and their grandmothers were sent to the camps. It was just extremely offensive, like someone who was going out of their way to be offensive. And you know, there was a pretty immediate response from the fashion world and the celebrity were because he was a red carpet master. I mean, people wore his stuff, isn't Yeah, I won't get into that, but so like Nicole, not Nicole, Natalie Portman came out almost to me because she's been a deer or spokes you know, ambassador for for decades now, and she came out and she's Jewish, and she came out with it, and largely was considered at the time that her statement was what got him fired.
Speaker 2: Am I wrong? Well, I mean she's Jewish, she was representing the house. How can you not have a bigger star that Actually, don't ignore that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she was in the Star Wars films and everything, so she was a major star at the time, not that she isn't now. And for her to come and she came out and I actually read her statement today and it's interesting because in twenty twenty six, I think she probably would have given a much stronger stor. It was a very like pr voiced statement. And I because she was a younger actress then and maybe she felt she couldn't anyway, she spoke out against it, and she said she could never work with him again, and not long after that with the house, work with the House again?
Speaker 2: And do you or let him go? The thing is that God? Yeah, but John Goway is a genius. I mean, the man is absolutely a genius when it comes to fashion. Door never looks so stunny. I agree that the old couture collections which they don't even do it and do them anymore. But the way he did it, it was just surreal. It was like magic walking down the runway. It was the most beautiful work. But you know, that doesn't mean because you are creative, that you're talented, that you don't have you know, a dark side or you know, you come out and say something like that. It was shocking to me at the time when the whole thing happened, and you know, it was the beginning of people, you know, filming you and that's why we have a video and you can't deny that. So yeah, it was it was sad, I felt. I mean, that's that's why you know, that's it's that fine line. You shouldn't expect too much from the you know, from the people you admire that you never met and that you admire their work, but you know you don't know the person. So I was disappointed.
Speaker 1: It was shocking, disappointing, And I just because people will tend to take things out of context with conversations like this, I just want to add when you say it's disappointing, I don't want to speak for you, but I think what you're saying is it's disappointing that someone that talented has such an ugly heart.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 1: Yes, what I'm trying to say not that you're disappointed that he got fire, No, no, no.
Speaker 2: I'm disappointed that someone that I admire so much for their work, talent and everything intelligent man would would would have the thoughts in his head and or ideas or or believes. Yeah so, and it's apolline, It's just a pully. It's just now.
Speaker 1: The fashion world has long had an history of racism Orienti Semitism in its ranks. Just before we flipped on the mind side talked about us going to the DNA in London last or two years ago to see the exhibit on Coco Chanel, and it was a stunning exhibit that took over like an I think half a wing and there was one little banal panel in the corner that was barely lit that referred to her it's a Nazi, her ties to the Nazis. And I think at the time we were like, well, they tried, and here's my take on that.
Speaker 2: I do think the.
Speaker 1: VNA should have gone deeper into that hole, uh and really illuminated it a little bit better. But I was not at the time. It never occurred to me at the time to be offended that a museum would mount an exhibit for Coco Chanel because regardless, again, regardless of her politics or beliefs, she was a genius and a revolutionary who had a significant impact on the world, and I think it's worth it to look at the work that she did. I am not opposed to Galliano getting a museum exhibit if it was just separate from this, but I I mean, I kind of think he doesn't deserve one. But whatever, I just don't think they should have an entire gala elevating him like that. And I think it's at a time of intense worldwide rising anti semitism and Islamophobia. That is just I just don't think you should be elevating a man who made such ugly public comments.
Speaker 2: Right maybe another time, but this is when he's dead, But this is not the right time.
Speaker 1: He's still working. So the thing is you have now elevated him, and he's actually going to make more money, he's going to get more commissions, he's gonna you know, he's just you're making his career better.
Speaker 2: Whereas with the VNA, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, Chanelle was dead for fifty years, you couldn't There was no benefit to her or to the brand. So it never occurred to me at the time to be offended by that by the existence of that.
Speaker 2: Exhibit.
Speaker 1: But I struggle with this, and I really think it makes Annah Winter look like a piece of shit. I know she got him in stated at Oscar de la Rena like years and years, like she's always been trying to get him back. And what's that quote that you said, so she had She is a.
Speaker 2: Huge She loves him and defended him in a way or didn't say anything at the time because you know, they're friends and she loves him. And she said because they made the announcement that the met Galib was going to be, you know, pe homage to him, she came out and said, you know, his career shouldn't be defined by a moment something that happened once, you know, an entire career. And then she also said that the exhibit is not going to shy away from any darkness in his life.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, as to the latter point, I think that's bullshit. I think it probably will gloss it over tremendous.
Speaker 2: What is going to do play the video at the end.
Speaker 1: As to the former point, I agree that a person's career should not be defined by a moment, especially especially if that moment is tied to their substance abuse issues. Right however, and by that I mean we have in We haven't had much opportunity to do this, but we have had opportunity to feature people on the side wearing Galliano and it. I don't think we ever really wrestled with it all that much. Similarly, I mean, every celebrity wants to wear adult chiankabana and those two racist motherfuckers. It doesn't even bother.
Speaker 2: You know. They forget and forgive very quickly they do, so that's the industry.
Speaker 1: I don't have a problem with Galliano having a career because he is so talented and people still want to wear his stuff. I never I never thought as bad as that diatribe was. I never thought that he should never work again because of it. I do very firmly think we should not be elevating him above other designers and celebrating him that much. Let him have that career, Let the work speak for itself. Do not throw a fucking party. The biggest fashion party in the world is now going to be thrown in his honor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the problem with the MET gala is that you're gonna put that person on the pedestal se so hi, and you're gonna, you know, praise that person. Everyone's gonna talk about it about him on the red carpet. It's going to praise him in his work. And so is anyone going to ask about the video or about what he said?
Speaker 1: No, I mean, I don't know about that ceremony, not to I don't want to dabble in stereotypes here, but I think given New York City, the likelihood that the biggest donors to the MET are significantly Joe, there is a significant Jewish component to that, And I wonder how many of them are going to go to this or donate to this knowing it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I would love to see a blowback, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: They're already talking about it, and maybe when you get closer to the actual megala there'll be more discussion about it. We'll see, But I feel that it's decided, I mean, and when tour decided, and that's not gonna change. Yeah, and she doesn't care. The fashion industry doesn't care about a lot of things. They care about pretty things, that's all they care.
Speaker 1: I think we should. I think people should use this moment to really hammer home the point that of what he said and why it's wrong.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I think glossing over it is a very very bad idea.
Speaker 2: I agree. And to answer the.
Speaker 1: Question that we will likely be asked, yeah, we're going to cover the MET column. We're not going to not cover the MET colla. But when we cover it, we're going to talk about how problematic this is.
Speaker 2: The thing is that, given what's going on in the world for the past I don't know, six years or more, Uh, if we don't cover something because of something, we won't have a sight anymore. That's true. I mean everyone is out there doing something horrific or saying something horrific, and you know, yeah, that's that's any.
Speaker 1: Our job is to cover the red carpet, to cover fashion. So yeah, we're going to cover the premier red carpet event of the year in the United States.
Speaker 2: And our cover our job, to a certain extent is to talk about it. That's why we're talking about it.
Speaker 1: And when the coverage comes around, we will continue to talk about it. Right, Exactly, A lot of those people are likely to show up in Gliano originals. They are or homages to Kalliano, and we need to talk about, you know, the problem with that.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: I don't really have anything else to say except I'm disappointed in her, Not that I ever had. I never thought she was my mor guide or anything like that. But you're at the end of your career and you're doing this, You're elevating this. I know you love him, I know he's talented, but this is a stain. It's a stain on your career. It's a stain on the met right, I agree. I mean, Manhattan has one of the largest Jewish populations in the world. I'm pretty sure it has the largest in the United States. To take one of your premier cultural institutions and turn it entirely over to celebrating one of the world's most famous anti Semites, what are you thinking? And I'm really hoping there's a bigger blow. I mean, there was some blowback this week, but to my shock, there has been very little now.
Speaker 2: Because it was something that happened a long time ago, and he already talked about it. I think there was a documentary where he mentioned it talks about it. You know, he has apologized.
Speaker 1: Don't get me wrong, Sorry, no, no, yes, go ahead, he apologized to you. I do want to put that out there. Like he has been on a rehabilitative tour. It's not like he has spent twenty years making these comments. It was an outburst. It was an ugly one. I think it clearly showed the darkest parts of himself, right, But I do want to you know, in all of this, I should note that he was he has tried to atone for this in some ways.
Speaker 2: Right. The problem with those comments is that, fine, it was one comment, but there are certain things.
Speaker 1: That I don't like comment never saying anything remotely close to that. And at the point when white people like us say, well, you know, as if it's something that you know, at the drop of a hat, any of us would have said that, I want to make it clear. I have never said anything like that, and I don't excuse it.
Speaker 2: I you have to Yeah, if you said it, it's because it's it was, it's somewhere inside you. It was stored somewhere you breathe. That's exactly right, all right.
Speaker 1: I think we'll stop there and take a break and then we're gonna come back and discuss another lighthearted topic.
Speaker 2: We'll be back to talk.
Speaker 1: About Ariana Grande. We're back, and now we're going to tackle something that's probably going to be difficult for some people to hear. And in some ways it's we're gonna tip we're not gonna tiptoe through this, but we're being very careful about how we talk about it. And let me explain why we're talking about Ariana Grande, who her her people, and she herself released a statement this week that when her current Eternal Sunshine tour ends, and I think there's only a couple of dates left, she's going to be pulling back from public life. She pulled out of doing Sunday in the Park with George with Jonathan Bailey next year on Broadway.
Speaker 2: And it was in UK, isn't it. Oh maybe you're right, Maybe it was. We're probably right.
Speaker 1: So and this comes after months and actually literally years of commentary about her appearance in fandom and online and on social media. The general it is generally understood, although Ariana herself has not made this sort of statement, and she may not be prepared to make this sort of statement, but it is generally understood that she is suffering from an eating disorder, and people are making this leap or assumption about her because of the physical evidence. And I'm not gonna you know, I'm very I'm trying to be very careful here because it's very possible that Ariana it has some other form of illness that is causing her to look like this. But there has been a serious, serious shrinking of Ariana since Wicked one, since the first Wicked film.
Speaker 2: I think she's going through a lot, you know, I think I've been watching her and I think to Revoo talk about Wiked and stuff. I think they were. I think Wicked was age of disappointment for them. She also went to a.
Speaker 1: Divorce, all kinds of relationship drama. There's there's a lot happened to her campaign, loss of campaign.
Speaker 2: And then they didn't do well. It was big disappointment for them, and the scrutiny around the two of them, their friendship. The people were mocking the two of them for being too close, you know, touching each other and that kind of stuff, doing interviews. That was There's a lot going on, yeah, in terms of like you know, people talking about her and and you know, it's been, but then you know, it feels like it's getting worse in terms of, you know, her state of mind or whatever it could be.
Speaker 1: I don't know physical appearances a arming.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'm not gonna be shot. I'm not gonna shot away from saying that I watched Pedal the video and I was shocked.
Speaker 1: I had a hard time sitting throw.
Speaker 2: I had a hard time not focusing on on on her appearance, and you know that that's all I'll say. I'm not gonna judge why or when and how, because that's not my job here or you know, I don't know her. I don't know what she's going through. But visually what I see was shocking. What I saw was shocking. So that's why people were talking. And then you know, you have someone like Jamilla and Jamil right who talks about, you know, the whole industry. And where did she talk about this? I think she posted on Instagram, one of her social media accounts. She made a put a long statement about it, and she was careful because she tends to be a little too loud about the subject. You know, I'm not defending her or criticizing her, but she's very vocal about the whole you know, celebrities getting too thin, So that's her. She's been talking about that for a long time now. So she put a statement and she was kind of careful about it. She would saying, you know, it breaks my heart. I don't know what to do here, but you know, I don't want to, you know, add to the conversation out there, you know, being mean to her. But at the same time, I can't ignore this because there are a lot of young girls out there, you know, who adore her, who admire her, who are fans, and they see that, and you know, and if it's not talked about, that's her frame. If it's not talk about, then it becomes something normal, okay for these fans out.
Speaker 1: There, for these you mentioned our job, and I want to I want to slip in from that perspective.
Speaker 2: And I.
Speaker 1: You know, I joked about this before we flipped on the mics. I was like, I hope people don't think we're going to make this all about ourselves. But at the same token, I don't think you want us to make it all about Ariana because then it becomes very judgmental.
Speaker 2: So here's what.
Speaker 1: And this is partially inspired you know we are. Our twenty year anniversary was last month. We wrote a big post and there's just been a lot of reminiscing and talking and thinking about how things have changed over the years, or or choices that we've made over the years. Very early in our Red Carpet blogging, we realized, after some mistakes I will cop to these mistakes, making flip and comments or whatever, we realize that we cannot be discussing women's bodies at all on our site, and we can't allow other people to do it as well.
Speaker 2: And let me just say one thing. It wasn't because we were criticized for it. We were crease starts for it, but we decided ourselves that that's not us, that's not right, and that's why we stopped. I don't want people to think that we don't do it anymore because of the criticism now, because we realize.
Speaker 1: It's because we under you know, we understood the criticism. But also, uh, I want to reiterate a point because this has come up repeatedly with stars like Ariana, because when you say, oh, no, no body snarking on our site, I think the first thing people jump to is, you know, don't call someone fat, don't make fun of their cellullyte that sort of thing.
Speaker 2: But in my.
Speaker 1: Experience, body snarking goes in the opposite direction. It's always uh, it's always about criticizing thin women. And I became very aware. We became very aware early on in our professional blogging careers that we couldn't do this, and we could, and Lorenzo says, because it was wrong, but also we could not be a site. We could not be seen as a site where that sort of conversation happens on the regular. We are two men who decided to make our living discussing celebrity fashion, and because of the nature of the public and just freaking culture, we didn't invent the world that's going to skew towards women's wear. We have worked very, very hard to make sure that we are talking about men's wear at a nearly equal level. But listen, there's a reason we never mentioned Prince William when we're looking at Princess Kathy because nobody cares. Nobody cares what he's wearing, and.
Speaker 2: Don't say it in a comment section.
Speaker 1: I don't care what he's wearing, right, and he never wears anything worth talking about.
Speaker 2: Anyway, So you know, we don't don't cover him, but we are men, and.
Speaker 1: In setting ourselves up to do that sort of work, we are setting ourselves up for a tremendous amount of criticism. And I would say for the first ten years of our careers it was just conventional wisdom. It had nothing to do with anything we were writing. Anyone who encountered us for the first time, We're like, oh, two gay men writing about and just immediately assume that we hate women and that we're calling all of them fat. And these were the kinds of constant reactions we were getting early on in our career, regardless of what we were doing. So we established a very strict no talking about this rule on our site for that reason, because it's moral, and because strictly for business reasons, we could not be seen as a site where those discussions were happening. And I'm bringing this up now because during the Wicked and Wicked Too tour, that became the problem on our site because we constantly had to either delete comments or ask people not to make those comments, and several times people got mad at us for it, and they thought we were legitimizing her, you know, her I mean, that would be the case if we were like, doesn't she look fabulous? Doesn't this fit her?
Speaker 2: Great?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, she's so thin. Like obviously, we're not saying shit like that. When we talked about Ariana during this period, we talked about her, her color choices, the style choices, that's sort of the cosplay that she was, the theme dressing, and strenuously avoided anything talking about how things fit her or anything like that, because again, you cannot invite that sort of commentary. It starts getting ugly. Almost even well intentioned people will wind up saying things. And I go back to my point that I made earlier, and you know, hey, let's all remember Chadwick Boseman, because Chadwick Mostman made an appearance and nobody knew who he had cancer, but he didn't look healthy, and everybody commented and some people were kind of mean about it. We are all assuming that Arion has an eating disorder, and that assumption alone is somewhat problematic.
Speaker 2: I don't know what her issue is.
Speaker 1: I think she clearly has a health issue. It is not my job or my role to and to diagnose that. I understand why fandom acts the way it does, and I don't really think you can control that. I don't think you can control masses of people reacting to images.
Speaker 2: These are people who adore her, who's been following her for a long time. They see the transformation and they talk about it. So it's hard to avoid that. It's hard to not you know, I'm not saying you should allow people to say that because social media people come and say, well, it's understandable, but it's understandable why they do it, because I read a ton of comments and they're concerned, they're fans concerned. I'm sure a lot of them are also bitchy. Yes, yes, there's a lot of mean comments. There's there are mean comments everywhere all the time. And people were just making mean comments because they can. They go on the computer and they do it.
Speaker 1: But I just want to say, from experience and I have seen this is people will address a celebrity that they think has an eating disorder, but they will do it in the most flippant manner. She needs to eat a sandwich, that sort of thing, And it's like, well, is that concern right, because that just sounds like you're being a bitch. It just sounds like you're being judgmental, and I do want to call out because I told them I.
Speaker 2: Would quote them.
Speaker 1: Today Nathan in our comments section made a point I'm not going to quote them directly because I don't have it in front of me, but they said, if you are expressing concern about someone you will never meet, that's just gossip. And I told I was like, I am going to quote that, because that's it exactly. You can talk about your quote unquote concern, but it's couched almost always in flippant, snarky social media type commentary that there's no way that's helping her. There's no way in hell that's helping her.
Speaker 2: Right. The problem that I have with with people presenting a certain way that it's alarming or that it's changing to the point that people make an observation is there is their team trying to forget about it or dismissive entirely. I'm not talking about her specific, I'm talking about in general, the.
Speaker 1: People around her. They have a responsibility.
Speaker 2: That's the thing with celebrities that bothers me most is the fact that you all these people are on your pay road. They are afraid to say anything, They won't say anything, and then you keep going, uh, what has money to be made?
Speaker 1: It's like Bruce willis that he can't make a movie is long after it was clear he should not be on a movie set.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's whatever, whatever makes everybody money. Yeah. Uh, and then they just don't talk about it, and and and you know the issue is not addressed. Uh that's the problem that I have. And when it is, it isn't done in such a light way that it's just even worse.
Speaker 1: I don't think owes anyone in explanation, not really, and I don't think her team does either. But I thought their statement was a little questionable. It was about how you know, it made a rather passive, aggressive swipe at ongoing endless scrutiny. Well, you're an international pop star and movie star, and yeah, that that endless scrutiny comes with it, So complaining about that is it's if I don't think her team should have been saying that. I think Arianna is taking a break. You know, things are intense right now. Whatever, you don't have to say whatever's going on with her. She is owed her private life.
Speaker 2: I believe that the thing is that I think that has caused more trouble is again, I always bring this up with social media. The thing is that many celebrities have come out and said that they read everything now on social media. Yep, and that can't be easy.
Speaker 1: You know, there's no a in how And she strikes me as the type that probably reads a lot about her.
Speaker 2: There's no a in how that as a celebrity, you're going to read all that stuff about you and then you're just gonna, you know, shrug it off. You can't. And then she went on stage. I actually have it in the lounge the video when she stops the show and talks about how you know what's going on and give her explanation and you know kind of thing. And again it's very it's very like, oh, you know, I'm trying to blog all the negativity out there, and you know that kind of statement that it's very fluffy, very light and doesn't add anything to anything. Maybe not making a statement at all. Let your your PR team do it. I feel like there's a lot of denial going on and that and that's a concern. And you know, I understand why people talk about it, believe me, because I have nieces and I see what social media does to them, what influence social media has on them, like all the time, things they buy, things they want, thing they see you know, models, right, role models, all that stuff. I see it happening. So it you know, as as a public image, as a public figure, you do have some sort of responsibility. It's still your life, you know, nobody, but you are selling you.
Speaker 1: And listen again, I really want to be careful that we're not getting into criticizing her as much as we are just talking about celebrity culture here, and to note that most celebrities, female celebrities are also expected to be beauty product influencers or to talk about their beauty or to talk about their and you know our own readers have mentioned this time and time again, is that when you have female celebrities interviewed, they will get questions about their beauty, about their body, about their plans for children in ways that men don't get those questions. But by the same token, and we've all seen this is celebrities who clearly clearly have gotten some sort of work done, denying that they have and claiming that it's clean living. Celebrities that have suddenly dropped a tremendous amount of weight.
Speaker 2: They act like nothing happened, and that's while.
Speaker 1: I'm just eating healthy and working out. No, you don't need to tell us that you're on a GLP one. But I think it's irresponsible.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: I'm not a public figure. If I ever went on like ozembic or something like that and people saw pictures of me, I'd in a flat second I'd be like, yeah, ozembic, because I think it's irresponsible. I agree if you are a figure and I'm not, But for celebrities to pretend that what you're doing is healthy when what you're doing is not healthy and it's unachievable for most people.
Speaker 2: And what bothers me most? I could be wrong. This is not about Ariana. I want to say at this point, no, no, no, But what bothers me most? And it's because you know, this has been going on for a long time with Ariana specifically, and I don't think it fair should been getting criticism and been mocked and all that kind of stuff since wicked. My point is that the whole thing erupted with the video pedal video. And I don't know, as a PR team how you can look at that video and say, oh, well, let's just go with it. It's fine and not expect. As a pr person, you go to school for that. You know, that's a job. That's your profession. It's it's to to examine things and decide if things should go on or not. I don't know how you can. I don't know how.
Speaker 1: I don't know that people can control her is in charge.
Speaker 2: She's in charge, But you hire people to make decisions with you, at least. I don't know how you look at the video and think it's okay.
Speaker 1: She looked at the video and thought it was okay, because when you have an eating disorder, you really can't see that.
Speaker 2: But somebody, somebody should have said something. Anyway, That's all I'm going to say. I'm going to be honest. I thought the video was very disturbing. I think a lot of people did. Yeah, and that's all I'm going to say about it. I'm not questioning why or you know why things are the way they are and anyway, but it's it's it's a complicated issue. Uh as as Yeah, and I'll bring it again as someone who has young nieces and nephews, uh I see what social media does. I see what these images out there does to them. And it's it's not as a parent, I'd be very concerned, agreed.
Speaker 1: So listen, I I hope she gets healthy, right, and she gets whatever help she needs. And I know she's not listening to us, but I hope she does come to an understanding that maybe a lot of the commentary was nasty, but people are genuinely.
Speaker 2: People are concerned. And I hope that the break that she that she's getting now is you know, to seek help. I hope.
Speaker 1: So she is a talented person, and it's I mean, I was really sad to see what she looked like now because I, as I said to you, I'm like, she is at the top of her career. She got Oscar nominee. Wait did she get an askar? Yeah, she did, right, I think right now, and you know, she's starring in movies, she's on tour like this is everything she's worked for ever since she was a Disney kid. And you know, I think it's probably taken a toll. You know, that kind of worked a toll on you. And I think she take a year off, I really do, and and get her head on straight and get healthy again. All right, So we're going to take a short break and then we're going to come back and.
Speaker 2: Talk about House of the Dragon.
Speaker 1: We're back, and then we're going to talk about the latest, the penultimate House of the Dragon for this season.
Speaker 2: And then I liked it. Interesting, Yeah, I liked the episode.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was my favorite episode of the season. I didn't hate it, but I think I do feel like we're getting as I said last week, we're getting into the endgame and things are just going to start getting really depressing or the wrong sorts of people are going to triumph. And we kind of saw that this week. There is no right person in this Are we cheering for right?
Speaker 2: I know?
Speaker 1: Are we cheering for Allison?
Speaker 2: This is a major first for me watching TV shows that I don't give a fuck about these people. I want them all dead. They're horrible. This is the first time I watched a TV show that I really don't care about anybody.
Speaker 1: I think the whole last season is just gonna be watching every single one of them get the immolated on screen.
Speaker 2: Real horrible, horrible.
Speaker 1: The thing about this episode, I'm not criticizing it, but I did feel like, Okay, one of the things I've said all season long is they're doing a great job of bouncing from place to place to place and keeping everything straight. And that's all largely still true. But this was the first episode of the season where I was like, all right, there is entirely too much story going on.
Speaker 2: There's just too much.
Speaker 1: We need to you know, kill some characters off so we can winnow this down to you know, a more understandable plot. But pardon me once again, I'm going to reiterate. They are really making right near a look like the shittiest queen whoever.
Speaker 2: Sat on a throne.
Speaker 1: And it's genuinely kind of I've said this before. Interesting to me that, you know, a lot of the Song of Ice and Fire deals with the patriarchy and patriarchal systems, especially the TV shows, But every time they put a queen on a throne that they always point out while she's crazy or stupid or not suited for the role, And it's like, well, are you criticizing patriarchy or are you upholding it. Granted, I don't want to see a targarian girl boss. I mean, I think that was kind of the problem with Danaris, is that they tried to turn her into this girl boss figure and then people were like, what the hell.
Speaker 2: At least with this we're.
Speaker 1: Getting right from the jump. She should not be queen.
Speaker 2: She's bad at it. It's a tough place to be as a creator. That Okay, do you want because it's twenty twenty six, do you want do you want to present women at strong you know, powerful characters? You want to go buy the books and whatever I have bit crazy bitches, or go back or go back, or go buy whatever happened at the time. You know that, you know that would be the case. I always say that at the time. It's not history. We didn't have dragons anyway. Back then, you know, women were treated like shit. They still do. But my point is that, you know, maybe that's what that's the case. You know, they wouldn't trust a queen, they wouldn't you know. I get that. I did. I think that's the message here. Maybe she and.
Speaker 1: Don't get me wrong, I'm not offended by this at all, but she is portrayed as simply bad at her job. She is dismissing all sorts of concerns. She's focusing on stupid shit that does not matter at all and is threatening to, you know, unseat her. That scene with the dragons with the four dragons Fike off, I'm like, Okay, first off, I was like really getting tense, and it's funny because, like you said, I want all these people dead. Not like I care, but I was like, oh my god, someone's gonna die. One of these dragons is going to die. And but it also shows I did think that scene was fascinating because these people are just riding around on nuclear bombs and acting like they can control them, and then they can barely control them. And I mean, I guess it's a testament to their targarian blood that nobody got killed in that scenario, but that they were able to calm those dragons down. But it really did drive home the point that, holy shit, these things should not exist in the world. There's no way people can be free if there's people riding around on these things.
Speaker 2: The thing about RAINI and that I find fascinating is that it's not that she's just, you know, a bad queen meaning like this she's a horrible queen person, is that she really doesn't know what the fuck she's doing. No, she doesn't listen to people. That's the problem is she's very insecure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's really which I think is an interesting character point, That's what I mean. Yeah, I mean that's well written as a character.
Speaker 2: It is interesting because she is constantly rely on people's opinion, you know, and she needs that all the time. Do people tell her that she's doing a good job. In fact, when she had that conversation with Helena, she's pretty much bagging Helena too. Yeah, to tell her that that in one of her dreams she's gonna be she thought that she's an amazing queen kind of thing.
Speaker 1: I think it's interesting. But the series has decided to set a Rainier and Alison against each other. I mean, so did the books, but they have made their whole thing central to the entire series. And it is interesting because, as you point out, Rainier is very insecure, and that actually makes a lot of sense because she has spent her entire life trying to justify herself to everyone around her because they didn't believe.
Speaker 2: That she was old what she thought she was old.
Speaker 1: On the flip side of that is Allison, who has largely been passed around and ignored. I mean, she was married off at like thirteen to an old man who was dying, and then she was forced to have like how many of his kids. But within that system where no one expected anything of her or no one was paying attention to her, she actually developed all these skills where she actually would have been a great queen.
Speaker 2: She could have sat on that throne. So she's a smart woman.
Speaker 1: She's smart, and she she's not insecure the way Ranira is.
Speaker 2: What I love about Alison is that she really knows what's going on around her. She does. She understands everything, and she tries her best to manipulate it.
Speaker 1: I think she's a piece of shit though, oh yes, no, no, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Saying she's a good person, but she is very intelligent. She is, she understands, she can read a room like nobody else. Yes, and she you know, she plays all the cards for the most part.
Speaker 1: Right, She's more interesting to watch at the moment because she is a character without power who's trying to survive. I mean, and that's more interesting than a person with super power who's fucking up everything they do.
Speaker 2: I know. The whole thing about her traveling to kill her son, yeah, I mean, come on, that is just like, Okay, I'm gonna kill all my son because you know this, this is my plan let's we'll get to that in a bit.
Speaker 1: I do want to talk about Aimon and that, oh, that really interesting sex scene, but let's talk about Helena, right, the most.
Speaker 2: Tragic figure on this entire nerves.
Speaker 1: She's getting on your nerves because she's depressed. And I'm pretty sure, and I'm I'm not basing this on book stuff. I don't know, but I'm pretty sure she is ending it soon. I don't think this one's sticking around.
Speaker 2: They keep saying.
Speaker 1: I read I don't know if she's gonna have this baby go ahead.
Speaker 2: I read online that the the dreams were sort of like forcing her death, and that she's going to die, that she see her dying. That's why she's with the whole family.
Speaker 1: You probably shouldn't given that spoiler or what people are specul Oh, okay, no, it's not a fact. That is one character who's fate I'm not really sure about. I do know most of the major ones, but I'm not really sure what happens to Helena. So but I do think, yes, they are. She's clearly very very depressed.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 1: And and I don't think she's long for this world.
Speaker 2: Uh, this is what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's just we're gonna start checking off names because people gotta die. I mean, if do you really think there's gonna be one big, happy ending where everyone gets together at Kingsling.
Speaker 2: Now most of this cast is dead. I'm just saving my champagne when Damon dies because I want them on the dead. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I can stand that.
Speaker 1: Kidding like, he's the worst. He's worse than Aimond.
Speaker 2: Ah probably, I don't know, he's terrible.
Speaker 1: Okay, So Aimond and Alice are full on oh my god crazy, Yeah, and he apparently I think the implication that's because I think some people misread that scene and thought that Alice the Witch was giving him that that.
Speaker 2: Vision of his mother.
Speaker 1: But I think he was having a premonition of her arrival. I think he's a dreamer, just like his sister Helene is he is. I think he is actually Okay, gotta stop giving away, but I think he is.
Speaker 2: Based on I'm just running the whole thing through my head here, think I think, yes, I think he is.
Speaker 1: Because Alice didn't know what the hell he was looking at. It makes sense because the whole thing happened, and not only that, but he he envisioned her in the exact outfit that she shut up in three minutes later.
Speaker 2: And the language that is, you know the conversation yet, And it got.
Speaker 1: All tied up with his own feelings for his mother, because I don't think she shares that. I don't think she wants to sleep with him at all. I know that vision made it sound like she was into it. But he tried to kiss her, or he did kiss her when he left for Heronhall, and she was repulsed by it. So it's very much he had a vision that got tied up with his own psycho sexual feelings about his mother and it turned into a sex dream.
Speaker 2: But I wouldn't put what I wouldn't put that path her Alison, she doing anything, I remember.
Speaker 1: I mean, I was a little confused by that scene because they made it look like she was into it, and I was like, is she into this? I didn't think she was into this, not yet. There's enough incest on this show to go around the whole Valerian family is now all the men in that family are going after one poor girl in that family.
Speaker 2: But one thing I didn't know. Maybe people know that she brought that sir whatever his name is, to kill him. I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah he was the assassin. Yes, sir, she wasn't going to do with her.
Speaker 2: So Adrian read for I believe. Yeah, I didn't know he was there. I thought he was there just protect her. That's why she yes, she was.
Speaker 1: She went to get the knife off of him, and then she saw the And again we say that Alison is smart, but I mean everyone on the show is so fucking stupid. So she poisons him. First off, she at Haron Hall. It is very clear that whatever's going on with her son and that mysterious woman is not good. And also that mysterious woman is clearly the witch, not an idiot, like she can see what's going.
Speaker 2: On around her.
Speaker 1: And when she realized, she should have realized that, you know, I can't just be reckless here. I have to play my cars closed it. But instead she's like, no, I'm gonna I'm gonna put poison him. And then Lee, this is the part where I'm like, you deserve to die. You're so stupid, like I don't know know, why would you leave before the job is done?
Speaker 2: And where are you going? That's the thing. Two things.
Speaker 1: Does she even have a horse? She just leapt and I'm like, you have your dressed like a queen and you're just gonna like wander the King's road on a dressed like that.
Speaker 2: I had the same First of all, I was like, all right, is he dead?
Speaker 1: No? It should have killed both of them. She was stupid about it.
Speaker 2: So I guess she just poisoned him so she could run away. I guess no, I think she. I think she killed him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think she tried to kill him, but clearly he stumbled on Alice and she was like, oh idiot, Like she's gonna cure him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's my take on it. And then she closed the door, and I'm like, where you're going? Where are you going?
Speaker 1: How far do you think you're gonna go?
Speaker 2: Did you call like castles?
Speaker 1: I don't have, Like I know, you know, the sightline of a castle is pretty large. They that's why castles are built. So where are you going that you're not going to be caught?
Speaker 2: She's waiting for Ruber? What else? Uh? I gotta say?
Speaker 1: And I'm pretty sure this isn't in the books, But I don't know. I don't love the Missoria right near a thing where they're I mean, it ended with them in bed right, and I just I'm like, I get it. I guess you have to have more sex because it's not a very sexy show all things considered, House of the Dragon was a sexier show, although it was also a rapier show. So okay, we don't have many sex scenes on this show, and this wasn't really all that you know, graphic. They didn't take their clothes off or anything.
Speaker 2: But I don't love it.
Speaker 1: I just think it adds more complications to the story. Yeah, I don't see, that's already too damn a complicated.
Speaker 2: I think that's maybe the show is trying to point out that that's her way of controlling uh Rainier. You know.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean she had that scene and it was an interesting scene, uh with her former wore friends who basically said, you know, you're always going to be You're always going to be horring these holes, And maybe that was a response to that where she was like, all right, well I'm going to use the tools that I had. I think that would have been could have been explicated a little better or illuminated.
Speaker 2: A little better.
Speaker 1: But I just am not loving and obviously I have no problems with a queer or queer you know whatever. But I just I'm like, this is complicating it further than it needs to go. There's so much going on, there's so many agendas, there's so many relationships, and we just didn't need to add another one to the to the list. And I actually thought Massaria was more interesting when she was whispering in her ear rather than when she's you know, eating round whoa, all right, okay, please anyway, It's fine. I'll see where it goes, but I think it's one of the least interesting developments. One of the more interesting developments is a gone don't you think? Oh yeah, yeah, got his dragon?
Speaker 2: That was awesome.
Speaker 1: It's funny because this show gives you these incredibly triumphant moments for people that you do not want to be cheering, Like, he's horrible, but that scene was actually kind of funny.
Speaker 2: He's horrible, but he's actually funny. The actor is really funny. It's funny. And he's getting patient, like getting patient and not taking any shit because I do find it only to real because he is the king, so you know, yeah, I mean yeah, so he gets impatient.
Speaker 1: Yeah he thinks like a king. That's a thing, right, It does not he does not. You look at Agon and he's like, I am a king. I will bow to no one. I will do I, you know whatever, even if it means my death. And I'm not trying to pain him as an moral figure or you know, someone to admire. And then you have her, who is just questioning everything, not listening to any advisors, defensive about everything.
Speaker 2: She's really not suited.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying he is, because he's kind of a monster, but at least he embraces his role, and it does tend to make him appear more more likely to sit on that throne than her. I mean, but that scene was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: Now, I like the scene.
Speaker 1: I like Thailand, and I liked Thailand a lot. It's funny, and I don't know where Lara's strong. He just wandered off and actually that was a mistake.
Speaker 2: That was a mistake.
Speaker 1: You wound up bed mouthing that time. And now he's got he's got his dragon back. So I don't know what the hell's going on there?
Speaker 2: Your barbecue next? What the hell's Cory forgot to talk about the fingers?
Speaker 1: Valarian? Yeah, got his finger cut off. Yes, so we thought last week he might be dead, but he's not. Wormon High Tower has him locked up and sent his finger to his son.
Speaker 2: I know, we'll see, we'll see what happens with that. I mean, he clearly is not gonna allign with us. His name Ormond, Uh you know.
Speaker 1: Well, I think Ormond's point about peeling the Valerians off from right nears uh you know, camp or whatever. And I don't think he can get them on his side, but he can get them to stop fighting for And I don't know that Corliss, his son is well versed enough in geopolitics to understand that that's what's going on there. So I think he's probably going to panic and be like and pull out. The thing is, it was very interesting watching that council meeting because everybody in that council hates Rhania, Right, how does she?
Speaker 2: How do you?
Speaker 1: And she seems completely clueless about this that the only person at the council who doesn't hate you is Damon and he's arguing with everything that comes out of your mouth. The other ones are rolling their eyes at you.
Speaker 2: I think that's that's the point that what's her name Massaria was trying to make.
Speaker 1: She has no good counsel at all.
Speaker 2: She should fire all of those people.
Speaker 1: But frankly, I'm I I did wonder during that meeting. I'm like, can any these people quit? Because if I were in any of these people, I would just quit.
Speaker 2: But who knows? She might have them killed if she if they quit. Oh yeah, she's the king. It's not a democracy. The whole thing with Adam and Allen, this whole thing they're both falling in love for again, what interested in this?
Speaker 1: Like, okay, what fuck your niece? But language langwitch, I'm sorry, but it is. I'm like, all right, I guess when when?
Speaker 2: Which way?
Speaker 1: Adam is the one that sits on the council and Alan is the one that rides the dragon, right, Okay, So when Adam kissed her, I was like, okay, I guess so. But actually I remember thinking. I was like, oh I thought the other one had a crush on her.
Speaker 2: They both do.
Speaker 1: And you all get away from your knee, says you weird right.
Speaker 2: Now, seriously, stop stop fooling around with your family member.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but in speaking of the dragon seeds, it looks like alf Ulf has turned. He's now with worms Camp and Raniera. You screwed that big time. I don't know what's happening with Hugh the Hammer, but he is stuck in that what is it called Tumbleton and his wife wants nothing to.
Speaker 2: Do with him, So I know that's a shame. He's so cute.
Speaker 1: He's cute, but come on, he's gonna turn and go crazy. He can come here to feel a do He is cute and he's actually cuter in the wig. It's in your life anyway? Who else did oron Bayla? I mean, oh yeah, blah, what a mess. I feel like that we've seen the last of Lady Jane and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: Lady Jane, but that's rain and rain is the one with the dragon you're talking about. Baila is a trio. Yeah, he said everybody wants, but Raina is the one with the dragon. And now, yeah, god knows what. I really don't Radia gonna do with her.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna give anything away because I do know what happened to the character that she's based on. But the character that she's based on was not Damon's daughter. Well I'm daughter changes that storyline, so I don't. I don't actually know where they're going with that. We'll see I'm assuming her dragon's dead.
Speaker 2: They can actually die on camera, I don't know who knows. Yeah, it's actually.
Speaker 1: Hard to what says dragons at each other, even though I know they're not real.
Speaker 2: I thought it was interesting in general. I thought the episode was interesting.
Speaker 1: I do think this, like entire season, has been an improved when over the last one. I when we started the season, I was like, I'm really not into it, But I'm into it and I'm ready to see this all the way through. Very interested to see what kind of finale they have next week because last year's finale or two years ago was a big letdown, so.
Speaker 2: I hope to have the budget for this one.
Speaker 1: Well, it does seem like everything's moving towards a battle like that confrontation between right near and ormand high Tower. I'm thinking, yeah, and somewhere in the middle of that is Alison, who also is a high tower.
Speaker 2: So we'll see, we'll see. I have to say it's still beautiful. Clearly they spend a lot of money on it. Everything looks incredible. Yeah, it's a great show to watch visually beautiful and it's getting better. I watch it for a listen. Alison, Alison, Olivia Cook. I know Alison, she's she's my favorite character.
Speaker 1: I know, all right, So let us know what your favorite character is. Let us know if we screwed up the conversations about anti semitism and eating disorders. This is a very lighthearted hour of talk, and we'll be back next week with whatever across our eyes across our desk. We'll be back on Friday because we're watching practical Magic. I think we all need a little lateness right now, watching practical Magic for the b k MC. And we'll be back next week with a cross across our desks. Until then, let you meet up.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye