Speaker 1: All right, what's going on?
Speaker 2: We'll do it. It is drivetime.
Speaker 1: It's Tuesday afternoon.
Speaker 2: We're looking at about ten minutes past the hour of two o'clock, a rainy, cold chili Utah September day outside and as it is every day, it's good to have you along for the ride. Spence check. It's behind the mike, Porter Larson, behind the glass back in Salt Lake City.
Speaker 1: We are far away from each other.
Speaker 2: We're up here in Ogden today at a really cool little spot. Want you guys to come up and say hello. It's Bellaston Jewelry. It's one one five five thirty sixth Street here in Ogden. So Belliston Jewelry one one five five thirty sixth Street here in Augden, family owned since nineteen seventy three. Joe and Sidney Belliston. Got to get to know them today and they've got a great deal going on right off the top.
Speaker 1: I want to let you know.
Speaker 2: With a twenty five hundred dollars purchase, you get a five hundred dollars gift card at Smith and Edwards so Belliston Jewelry, bunch.
Speaker 1: Of Austin like engagement rings.
Speaker 2: It's a jewelry shop, so you can get her a diamond and then you can go get guns and Ammo.
Speaker 1: You want to know why, because we're in America.
Speaker 2: Baby.
Speaker 1: With a twenty five.
Speaker 2: Hundred dollars purchase, you get a five hundred dollars gift card at Smith and Edwards. With a five thousand dollars purchase, you get one thousand dollars gift card at Smith and Edwards as well. It's the best of both worlds. She gets the jewelry, you get.
Speaker 1: The guns in the Amo. That's what I'm talking about. Offer is good until October the nineteenth. Come on by.
Speaker 2: I would love to see my Northern Utah listeners and people have a lot of family up in this direction, a lot of friends up in this direction. Here in Ogden at Fellaston Jewelry, it's one one five five thirty sixth Street. Come on by and say hello. We'd love to meet you, all right, Jampack busy show today. The week two Pro football slates finished last night with a little Monday Night football and turned into a really good game. It was kind of a back and forth lugfest for a while. Kirk Cousins and the Atlanta Falcons come back to be Jalen hurts in the Philadelphia Eagles twenty two to twenty one. Great Monday night game. You heard it, of course, right here on ESPN seven hundred. We are your home of the NFL here in our market. So Week three of pro football will get rolling coming up. It's kind of a funky schedule. Get a couple of Monday night games next week Thursday.
Speaker 1: This once upon a time was a proud rivalry. Not so much anymore.
Speaker 2: But the Patriots and the Jets get things rolling coming up on Thursday from metlif You can hear that game here out of ESBN seven hundred. And then we'll culmin eights next week for some NFL with the Jags and the Bills and the Commanders and the Bengals.
Speaker 1: So two Monday night games.
Speaker 2: The Bills will be the home team at Orchard Park there and Cincinnati hosts the Commander's Bengal Zone.
Speaker 3: Two.
Speaker 2: Man, they got to get off the night, so for football comes to an end last night.
Speaker 1: Now a lot of attention as.
Speaker 2: You would expect on the upcoming slate in college football. We'll get to the latest with the Utes, We'll get to the latest with BYU Utah State as well. Talk some big twelve football get you ready for essentially, you know, we did have UCF and TCU last week, but.
Speaker 1: Essentially the first week of conference played.
Speaker 2: For the most part, some teams have played some conference game games. But I'm gonna learn a lot. I think we'll learn a lot about both Utah and BYU as now that the non con has come to a close, stuff's about to get real as case stay rose in a provo and Utah will head to still Water. So both Utah and kse State playing some rich excuse me, both Utah and BYU playing some really tough competition coming up, and that's what makes it fun. CBS Sports released their rankings of NBA head coaches. A little love for Will Hardy today. We'll get to that coming up on the program. RSL Badly in need of a result tomorrow in Sandy Dallas is in town. RSL takeing on FC Dallas. That's a seven thirty kicktime. Head on over to RSL dot com for single game tickets. So we got a lot of football. We got some pro football, college football, little RSL, a little love for Will Hardy, and a good guest list. We'll start things off today with Jason Christ from ray Al Saul Lake, who instantly enough might still be the all time goalscorer, the leader and goals for the Dallas organization is in town tomorrow, so bring j in. We'll do a little RSL off top Matt Brown from Extra Points, one of my favorites to talk the business to college football with. So Matt stops by, Scott Mitchell, former Ute and NFL quarterback. Then the voice of the Utes himself, Bill Riley stops by the show. Now we are on the Bill Riley Mullet Watch. I keep forgetting to bring that up preseason on the program, Bill agreed to grow a mullet. If Utah football goes undefeated in the regular season, we need twelve you wins and we're gonna get riles in a mullet con football game.
Speaker 1: So I mean we all should be on board for that.
Speaker 2: So we've got Jason Christ, Matt Brown, Scott Mitchell, Bill Riley, Mee Spence checkets live in Ogden Belliston Jewelry is the spot one one five five thirty sixth Street.
Speaker 1: Come on by and say hi, and then back in Salt Lake.
Speaker 2: City is where we find the producer of this program, Porter Larson, Real quick some breaking news. The Dolphins are placing TWA Tonga by Loa on injured reserve. He's gonna ad miss at least the next four games. So that just came down porter young man. How's your Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Tuesday's gone well, Spence obviously, always always a little different with you not in studio, so we'll see you when you get back here.
Speaker 5: A little jealous. I quite like Otown, so we'll have to make my way up there in the near future.
Speaker 2: Ogden's been gentrified, man, This place is popping now right, So no Salt Lake City snobbery.
Speaker 1: Ogden's where it's at these days.
Speaker 5: Hey, this is It's a good little spot.
Speaker 2: It is, for sure, So come on buy and say I all right. Our first guest today Jason Christ right out of the gates. But before we get to Jay on a Tuesday afternoon, courtesy of our good friends at Standard Restaurant Supply, it's time now for your opening tip.
Speaker 6: Welcome to the Drive with Spence. Check it's on Utah's number one sports talk Now into the studio of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show.
Speaker 1: The opening tip of the.
Speaker 6: Drive is brought to you by Standard restaurant supply, your one stop shop to build the best tailgate in town. Standard Restaurant Supply thirty five, one hundred Southwest Temple.
Speaker 2: So, big weekend ahead in the landscape of local college football, and I do think we're gonna learn a lot about BYU and Utah coming up with the opponents being a little bit different. It's not just conference play. Both BYU and Utah will play two of potentially the three or four best teams in the conference. So coming up two pm on Fox on Saturday, Utah is in Stillwater where this line has been funky. Right now, Utah is a two point favorite. It started out Okay Okay State about minus one point five, moved to the Utes, went back to Okay Okay State. Now it's back at Utah. Over under is fifty four point five. Okay, it's a big number. I point that out because Vegas has to be operating off the assumption that Cameron Rising is going to be under quarterback, under center playing quarterback. We're operating off the same assumption. Just so you guys know, all the intel we have at this point is that Cameron will play booms Picken Stadium. It's about the same size as Rice Ecles. It gets loud just like Ecles. It'll be jam packed and it's gonna be hot. The ACU weather game time forecast is ninety four degrees and Sunny Fox has picked this up. You can watch it on Fox, of course, you can hear it on ESPN seven hundred. As were you're home of the Utes and as been and have been for decades and decades and decades. Porter glad you're taken care of with pregame coverage and that's going to start at ten o'clock on Saturday, so stay tuned for that and BYU for their task this week, they welcome in a team in k State that I still think Iowa State probably has the best win in the conference right now because they beat Iowa on the road. But k State undressed Arizona last week and that was a Friday that game, so we were able to kind of watch that thing.
Speaker 1: They gashed him on the ground.
Speaker 2: Now BYU's defense this year has been phenomenal. Their season, to me, will be predicated on how the quarterback stuff kind of plays out.
Speaker 1: Can Jake figure it out?
Speaker 2: Can he stop making the mistakes that we saw in four starts last year and that we've seen in the first three starts this year BYU th you know, back to back years.
Speaker 1: Will it be different? You guys remember last year they lost their final five.
Speaker 2: Games and did not go to a bowl game, leading a lot of people to really put a lot of pressure Dennis Dodd and other national riders on Kolani and his staff saying they're on watch this year if things don't go better.
Speaker 1: So a massive, massive task for.
Speaker 2: Kilane and BYU welcoming in K State to provo they get that win. They're off to four and ZHO my guests would be they beat K State at home, they're going to be ranked in the top twenty five heading on the road to Baylor and then home against Arizona. Now, of course, Utah already highly ranked their twelfth in the nation according to the AP, and this would be a statement game for Big twelve football fans that aren't necessarily comfortable welcoming in the Utah UTAs and now, and there's a lot of you, I see you, I hear you, And there are a lot of people, I think and I understand why kind of rooting for Utah to not do well in their first year in the Big twelve, because let's call it how it is. Utah came into the Big twelve with a lot of bravado, a lot of earned bravado. And by the way, you could make the case that out of all the four corner schools that made the jump to the Big twelve, Utah really is the only one so far that looks like that looks like it belongs with the physicality.
Speaker 1: Of the conference, not with the ebbs and flows.
Speaker 2: I mean, we'll see what Arizona State does because they're clean as of now as well. But Arizona in that game against KSE State, K State bullied them, they pushed them around. Arizona's one of those teams that a lot of people thought, you know, coming in from the Pac twelve, had a chance to win the Big twelve year one, not at all.
Speaker 1: I mean, k State just pushed them around.
Speaker 2: It's not that Arizona doesn't have a good skill position players, it's ultimately that they don't have the dudes in the trenches. I'm not sure if Arizona State does. I know Colorado does not. This could be a situation where Utah is the one Pac twelve team heading into Big twelve play that looks like it stacks up physically with every other team. Hey, look, we're used to Utah football and their physicality actually being a mismatch, right, So it's not just stacking up. It's also ken Utah's brand of football that was so successful in the Pac twelve read the same type of success in the Big twelve right out of the gates, and now we're gonna start to learn whether or not it's that that's the case, coming up at Okay State, number fourteen ranked team in the country, and excited to see how it plays out, right, So you know, throughout the course of the week, we'll continue to kind of preview this game. We have good guests to talk about it today as well. Of course we'll give you our pick coming up on Friday before the game. But both Utah and BYU off to three and oh starts heading into conference play, and both teams of state queen real quick, real quick, before we catch our first break, We're gonna just give Will Hardy a little bit of love just out of nowhere here, because if you listen to the show, you know, oftentimes I talk about you know, Will as a third year head coach, is he getting frustrated that he doesn't have the horses just yet, and I can't speak to that.
Speaker 1: I don't have an answer there.
Speaker 2: But CBS put out their rankings of NBA coaches today and they put Will at number seven, which I thought was really really high and you know, really complimentary ultimately of who Will Hardy is.
Speaker 1: So we're not gonna do a lot of jazz day.
Speaker 2: It's mostly gonna be football, but I wanted to kind of bring that on airon case you missed it. According to CBS Sports, Will Hardy the seventh ranked coach in the NBA.
Speaker 6: It's time to hit the pitch on the drive. The RSL Insider Today and every day is brought to you by Beer Bar head Downtown for watch parties and game day shuttles to the stadium. More at beer barslc dot com.
Speaker 2: Back to little college football coming up in just a little bit, we're gonna bring in Matt Brown from Extra Points for all the latest on well, the business side Pac twelve expansion, what it means potentially for the Big Twelve in the ACC and some interesting details about television windows and when the Big Twelve is actually being selected to play in certain windows. We only have one of the seven games I believe decided coming up on the twenty ninth. I think that's the Arizona Utah game. Is the only kicktime that's been decided. It's late. I know fans are upset bringing Matt Brown. We also have Scott Mitchell, Bill Riley too, but joining me now right off the top. You know it's gonna be football coming up this weekend, but a little RSL soccer and kind of a sneaky big match is Dallas is in town. Our next guest is the all time leading scorer from the Dallas BYRNE and now part of the brain trust at Rayale Salt Lake, Jason Christ on a Tuesday afternoon, Jay, Happy Tuesday, buddy, How.
Speaker 7: Are you doing I'm doing great.
Speaker 8: How are you?
Speaker 2: Are you still the all time leading scorer of the Dallas Burne FC Dallas franchise?
Speaker 9: I think so.
Speaker 7: I think nobody else lasted as long as playing there as me. There was guys that scored more goals per season, but I don't think anybody else spent nine years there.
Speaker 9: So yeah, I think it's still fine.
Speaker 2: Longevity is important, but you can't tell me.
Speaker 1: You don't know for sure. If somebody broke your record, you would know, Jay, right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm just trying to remember.
Speaker 9: I know Hydys Ferrera is close.
Speaker 5: Was close.
Speaker 7: Maybe that was a single season. There's something there that he's getting close to breaking my record on.
Speaker 2: So yeah, is there when RSL plays formerly the Dallas for an FC Dallas? Does that conjure up any Jason christ weird feelings one way or the other?
Speaker 7: No, it doesn't anymore. After you've gone from that club to here, to New York, Orlando to Miami, your memory runs a little thin.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, fair enough?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 10: Jay?
Speaker 2: You know, what do you say about Houston? What do you say about Saturday? It was it was bad. Pablo owned it after the game during media. I don't know, man, It feels like you and I have been chatting on a weekly basis about a team that once upon a time had a fifteen game on beaten streak and was atop of the table in MLS, and now Jay, it feels like there's a bit of a slide going on.
Speaker 1: Are what are your thoughts.
Speaker 2: Both on Houston over the weekend and where you guys are at from a macro level.
Speaker 9: Yeah, not good, obviously not good.
Speaker 7: None of us are happy I think all of us feel a bit of angst, a bit of frustration. There's a whole lot of questioning now about where the problems lie and how we can move forward. But there's one thing that's clear in my mind after spending yesterday with the coaching staff is that we're all still in this very much together, and also there's a belief that this team can get back to where it was before or even actually be better. I think it's it's typical that every MLS team is going to go through a slide. We we, I feel like, have had been on a little bit of prolonged one.
Speaker 9: As I've said now many times.
Speaker 7: For me, there's been some results that have gone our way or met perhaps maybe we weren't quite there, but to be fair, through this, through this run, there's also been a result or two that actually felt we deserved more. And so now it's I think it's a time just to continue to move forward. It's a time to realize that we're getting to the end of the season. It's a time for everybody to come together, really really together and understand one thing. In my opinion, I think it needs to be simplified now to the point where the players need to understand that you must out work the opponent. If we have a chance to win anything here, it's going to come through a collective effort. It is not going to come through individual star players or star players.
Speaker 1: So every sport matchups are real.
Speaker 2: Oftentimes it's what leads to great results or following flat on your face if you just simply don't match up with another team very well, or the other team simply doesn't match up with you. I mean, it's just how it is. It doesn't matter what sport it is. What is it, Jay Like, I think it's one five and three over the last nine for you guys against Like, what's have you been able to identify with why this club has been so problematic for you guys?
Speaker 7: I think you know, as we talked about last week, I think for me, first and foremost is just the differences in climates.
Speaker 9: Last week. It was really difficult to go into the end of that week.
Speaker 7: Thinking about, oh, we've got a cold front coming through here in Salt Lake, so our guys are now training in fifty and sixty degree weather and they go down there for a ninety degree game. So you could see from my perspective, you could see pretty clearly that there was a level of fatigue and exhaustion that just is it seems out of place, but it is what it is. And then I think there's also a little bit of the tactics of Houston.
Speaker 3: And how good they are with the ball.
Speaker 7: We often times are the are the dominant possession team and most of the matches that we play, and we enjoy that, and I think the guy's getting confidence from that. And then we go play against a team like Houston in Houston and now they have the ball for the majority of the time, and so I think that creates a level of disco.
Speaker 9: In our group and creates a level.
Speaker 7: Of lack of confidence that that ultimately hurts our team. So we've got to we've got to figure out a way to not allow that level of unconfidence discomfort come into our guys feelings and minds.
Speaker 2: So I haven't addressed this, and we're gonna have Pablo on later in the week. I'll certainly ask him because this might be more of a question for him, and if it is, please go ahead and tell me. But you know, preseason, then the start of the season, whether I had coaches or players on a lot of the conversation was about this new system that Pablo and the new staff that he was given wanted to implement juxtaposed to what you guys tried to do over the past few years. Is that system something that needs to be reevaluated? What's the progress there? Have you guys considered changing things up? Because look, I mean, it is what it is. The results haven't been there as of late, So let's talk about that for a second. Where are you at with this system that we seem to talk a lot about, you know, three months ago or so.
Speaker 7: I think, yeah, I mean, I think that we should always be looking for answers and we should always be willing to challenge ourselves on whatever the issue can be. But what I would say right now is that there has been a clear identification on one thing, and that's the work rate, and we can and those those numbers are right in front of your eyes. Some of the system talks, you can start to get into some of the grayness of a lot of things.
Speaker 9: But when you have.
Speaker 7: Players that are being tracked by satellites or wearing GPS modules on their backs, and when a work level and a running level reaches a low point or as below average, and every time you do that, you lose.
Speaker 9: That's where you start first.
Speaker 7: And so and like I said before, I think we need to be very simple and very clear about how we put ourselves in a position to win games, and that is to outwork our opponent. It's very very clear, Spence, It's actually shocking to go back and look at the data and align at data when it was below average and then align that with the results. It's shockingly clear. If our guys don't outwork our opponents, we lose, as simple as that.
Speaker 2: So I've got to ask a follow up because this is the first time hearing of this, and maybe I'm the last one to know about it, but I'm interested to know what that tracking system looks like, what the ideology is behind it, and if you could shed any light and more details on how you guys are utilizing that to really identify exactly what your problems are.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So the players all wear GPS units on their back, some of them won't wear it just for you know, collective bargaining agreement type stuff. There's information that maybe they don't want everybody to know out there. For the players that don't their satellite tracking of their movements during every match. Oftentimes as a fan you'll see that because you'll see a player being subbed out, and it'll give you his total distance. Usually it's ten kilometers, which are usually between ten and fifteen kilometers that they've run per game. There's all kinds of other information that goes into that high speed running, high speed running per minute. There's all kinds of different data that can be looked at and analyzed and utilized. And so for us, we have several metrics that we track based upon our game model. And when those metrics have dropped below a certain level, like a mean let's call it, or an average, the results have been poor. And when those levels have been higher than our average, our results have been good. And on top of that, when you put those metrics against our opponents, when our opponent's levels are higher than ours, they win. And so this is what I mean when I say I think we need simple and clear messages to the players right now and not as basically, outwork your opponent and you give yourself a chance to win. If you don't, you won't.
Speaker 2: So I'm very fascinated at this dynamic all of a sudden here, and I'm not going to ask you to put individual players out there, and I know you wouldn't need anyway, but as this data indicated that there are specific players that need to be spoken to in very uncertain terms and have some of the starting lineup starting eleven and substitute decisions in line with the players where the data reflects that maybe they're not working the way that they need to.
Speaker 7: Yes, and yes, simple right, Yes, those conversations need to happen, and they will or have already happened.
Speaker 9: And yes, some.
Speaker 7: Decisions will be made based upon whether or not you run. And that's as simple as you can be. I think what you do is you make it very clear for the players that you know, if you're not in the lineup, it's probably because you haven't been working hard enough. If you're brought out of a game, it's probably because you haven't been running enough. And so it has to start with some certain level of something. And that's where we're that's where we're starting at, and that's what we're holding onto right now, is to just make that very very simple and very very clear.
Speaker 2: Have you considered putting a GPS tracking device on Trey during home games?
Speaker 7: We have not. It probably would be a little bit more worthy or time time well spent to put a blood pressure monitor on him.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, Hey, as a guy who wants upon a time, and I mean for me, number nine should be retired.
Speaker 1: That's my opinion. But whatever, As a guy for a long time who wore nine.
Speaker 2: For RSL and scored goals for RSL, are you getting what you need from Chico? And attendant to the question when the suspension came down, I talked to several people with the club and several people outside of the club that pontificated like this is the type of thing that derails the season. I'm not trying to be over dramatic or hyperbolic, but the fact of the matter is he's not playing the way he was prior to. He's not standing, you know, he's not finding the back of the net prior to. I can't speak to anything behind closed doors, no what.
Speaker 1: I ever tried to.
Speaker 2: But from a player and a leadership standpoint, are you getting what you need from.
Speaker 1: Your number nine?
Speaker 9: The message that goes to Chijo is the same that.
Speaker 7: Goes to every other player in the group right now, that that exact same message that it has to start with the work It has to start with your willingness to do anything and everything possible for the team. It has to start with your commitment level. That commitment level, that work rate has not been to the same level that it was before his suspension. And again, you know what you're doing is you're being very simple and very clear to say if you give us that, the other stuff will come. And that just comes from my personal history of being a striker as well as being a coach of some pretty prolific strikers, that players like that go through slumps and oftentimes we can get them to focus on something else. What you'll find is you get the work that you need. That would be great, but you can also get some of that confidence back when they're not worried just about scoring goals.
Speaker 2: Interesting, well, yeah, I mean obviously you need them to find the back of the dead. I wonder if you could take us into the ongoing projects of breaking in new players. I mean, you guys had a busy transfer window. You took some very calculated risks, of course, getting rid of some players that were playing well for you for a premium and then bringing in players that you thought would fit in. So what don't we see about Lachlan and Diego, and you know, obviously we're kind of still waiting for Mark Zuke to be on the ground consistently to train.
Speaker 1: But just walk us through this. Obviously, it's a process to.
Speaker 2: Get teammates familiar with each other and acclimated to the altitude, acclimated to the community. All the things take time. I understand that where we actually with the continued to implement implementation of your five signings during the summer transfer window.
Speaker 7: Well, I think what we've seen is we've seen good signs from all of the players individually and within the group, but not consistently yet. And so that's what I would hold on to. That's what we are holding onto that We've seen a game and and half of Diogo.
Speaker 9: That was quite good. We've seen sixty.
Speaker 7: Minutes from Jervane that was really good. We've seen Dominic come off the bench now at Houston and have a really positive contribution.
Speaker 8: He looked bright.
Speaker 9: We've seen Lachlan.
Speaker 7: Probably arguably are only what I would say above average player at Houston was Lachlan, and so in a couple of games we've seen moments from him as well, but we haven't seen it, you know, over a stretch of a couple of games, and we haven't seen consistency, and we haven't seen the group altogether firing and all cylinders. So we've seen the snapshots, but now we need to see.
Speaker 2: The whole movie. Do you feel like you're getting buying? Do you feel like you have trust in that locker room? I mean, you can't win trophies, You can't win much if you don't trust your teammates, if you don't trust your coaches, if you don't trust your coaching staff, and Jay you know the deal man when the results go the other way, I've got to ask you these questions. Do you feel like the group trusts each other?
Speaker 1: Do you have the locker room.
Speaker 7: One hundred percent? I mean I won't speak to the locker room is that's no longer my domain. My domain is the coaching staff, and my domain is what I think of the players based upon want to seeing the training sessions and the matches. And I don't see all the training sessions either. But we started the conversation with one thing that we're clear on. We are all still very much together in this. So absolutely the trust is there for the coaching staff. The trust is there that we have the requisite level of talent and the knowledge is there that these players are all capable of doing exactly what's demanded of them. If we think we're going to have a chance to win. It's just about them doing it now. It is not a question about can. It is a question of will or will not.
Speaker 2: So when last we spoke, and I want to revisit this throughout the course of the season. You know, Pablo himself shared with me the detail of like waiting for his Kyle Beckerman, waiting for his Jason christ waiting for his Pablo Master any like the guy who is on the team that isn't afraid to m f the teammate if things aren't going well, even if you're a little bit afraid to offend somebody in the sake of competition or the same of winning, or in the sake of competition and the sake of getting results and winning any sport, any level. You got a couple of those dogs. You got a couple of those guys. You know, I feel like Catronis might be one, but I don't know what's the what's the update on this search for the uh, the bite and the toughness. You're gonna you're gonna need if you want to lift a trophy.
Speaker 7: It's still ongoing spence, And I would say, you know, again, like I said last week, this is the time of the season that players either step forward or step back. Right, This is the time of the season. This is where big players make big players in big games. And so the answer is to be determined, and the opportunity is there for all the players to step forward and be counted.
Speaker 2: All right, before I say you loose, tell me about Dallas. You know the record isn't great, they're outside the playoff line. But of course you know right now, it doesn't matter who you're playing. You gotta get three. You gotta get three at home. It's a big It's like a sneaky big match Jay tomorrow.
Speaker 1: So tell me about Dallas. What do you guys.
Speaker 2: Need to do to get all three? Take care of your home field.
Speaker 7: This is a big game. It's not sneaky big. It's a big game. As in all of the games are going forward are big games for us because this is about making it into the playoffs and giving ourselves the best chance to win something in the playoffs, which means home field advantage. So every game is massive. Dallas is an interesting team because they had a good season last year. They came in this season and.
Speaker 9: Really struggled to kind of find their way. They've had a lot of injuries.
Speaker 7: With some of their most important players. From what I gather now, they've got all their best players back and are all healthy. They've been on a run of good form. So you know, it's a team that seems to be heading forward and we seem to be heading.
Speaker 9: Sideways or backwards.
Speaker 7: So it's time to arrest all of that. It is time too. As I said before, it's time to simplify, simplify and clarify, and it is time for players to step forward and make their mark.
Speaker 2: All right, my guy, well be pulling for he is always. Appreciate the time today and get luck tomorrow. Okay, all right, buddy, take care Jason christ Rayel saw Lake. It's a big one tomorrow. If you guys are looking for something to do on a Wednesday evening, go to RSL dot com for single game ticket options. Excuse me, Dallas is in town and RSL badly needs a win now as a result of the recent slide. Rayel saw Lake is still in fourth. You need a top four slod to get a home playoff match. But Seattle is lurking and they're good, so is Vancouver. Houston is now up there as well, and Portland has kind of turned it on. So RSL in a virtual tie with Colorado one point behind LAFC in a full eight points beyond the galaxy, you have really turned it on, but Rayal saw Lake badly in need of a win coming up tomorrow, RSL dot com. Let's pack the place all right, before we catch a break, I want to tell you about my friends at Prize Picks. Prize Picks America's number one daily fantasy sports app with over five million active members. All you do is pick more or less on two to six player staff projections and watch the winnings roll in. Now.
Speaker 1: I want to emphasize.
Speaker 2: Two to six, So if you get two players right, you win money.
Speaker 1: Now here's the deal. Right now, they're giving you one win.
Speaker 2: One Caleb Williams passing yard gets you one win on Prize Picks every week in September. That's right, Only one yard from Caleb Williams gets you an automatic win every football weekend September. Take advantage though, because it is gone when September end. So here's what you do. Go go download the Prize Picks app today and use the promo code ESPN seven hundred and get fifty dollars instantly when you play five dollars with my good friends at Prize Picks. That's promo code ESPN seven hundred on Prize Picks and get fifty dollars instantly when you play five dollars. You don't even need to win to receive the fifty dollars bonus. It's guaranteed Prize Picks run your game. So download that Prize Picks app and take advantage of the promo code ESPN seven hundred. All right, we're live today Bellaston Jewelry, but we have up the ante. We are giving away fan X tickets USA Versus Canada hockey tickets and Dynamite Rampage tickets just for stopping in.
Speaker 1: We'll hook you up.
Speaker 2: We also have some Utah swag bags, some ESPN seven hundred swag bags just for coming in. You can grab one of our prizes if you want to go to fan X, you want to go to the USA Versus Canada hockey game or the Dynamite Rampage events come on by now.
Speaker 1: Belliston Jewelry is located.
Speaker 2: At one one five five thirty sixth Street right here in Ogden, Okay. Family owned since nineteen seventy three. So it's Belliston Jewelry. It's one one five five thirty sixth Street here in Ogden, ESPN.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred. Van is right out front.
Speaker 2: You can't miss us and joining me now, Joe Belliston. Joe, how are you doing, Buddy?
Speaker 1: I'm great.
Speaker 2: How are you, Spence, I'm good. Thanks for the time. So we had your wife Sydney on earlier. So this is a this is a labor of love. It's a family business, isn't it.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 11: Yeah, Mike, Dad actually started the business fifty one years ago.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Yeah, and now it's you and your wife running it as a team. Yeah, yep, exactly. All right, So it's blinging boom, right, I mean listeners can relate to that. So the women get the jewelry, the men get the guns and the AMMO.
Speaker 1: So let's hear about the special.
Speaker 2: We're doing here.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we guys, we got you covered on this one. A lot of if you love hunting, even if you don't love hunting, you can get a handgun. I mean, if you like guns or if you just like loove camp or camping. We actually have good story from Smith and Edwards. So the way it works is, if you come into our store and spend twenty five hundred dollars, you'll get a five hundred dollars voucher to Smith and Edwards. You can spend it on guns, ammo or anything related to Smith and Edwards, which is basically everything.
Speaker 1: Under the sun.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's a big store and for you big spenders out there, if you spend five thousand dollars here, you'll get a thousand dollars voucher to Smith and Edwards.
Speaker 2: So twenty five hundred dollars purchase gets you five hundred dollars to Smith and Edwards. A five thousand dollars purchase gets you one thousand dollars to Smith.
Speaker 11: Yep, and potentially out of the doghouse.
Speaker 7: Too.
Speaker 2: Good call, good call, that's right. That's right. If you are he's currently in a situation with your nick and a significant other that you need to make a purchase to make her happy and also make yourself happy, Today's the day to do that.
Speaker 1: Yep, all right, Joe, So I asked Sitty about this.
Speaker 2: I want you to I want to bring back this diamonds that I saw when I walked in and I looked at him like, that's got to be a sixty thousand dollars diamond, but it was about five thousand change. So you know, if you're a young man looking to potentially propose to your fiance and you want her to wear something where she's bragging around around town, that's the diamond to get, isn't it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I'm yeah, you're talking about a lab created diamond. Lab created diamonds have totally changed the jewelry industry, just flipped it on its head because you're able to get huge diamonds. I mean, it's it's unreal. Young kids these days are walking around with one, two, three carrot diamonds on their finger and it's commonplace.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 11: I just want to know, we do sell your genuine mind natural mind diamond Yeah, we also sell lab created diamonds, and we sell way more lab created diamonds than natural mind diamonds, just because the value is amazing.
Speaker 2: All right, So outside of I mean the rings everywhere, that's what you first noticed, you know, the engagement rings, the diamond rings. What are some other products that you guys sell her in the store you want our listeners to know about.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we have our own line, our own unique line diamond or engagement rings that we sell. We call it the Belliston Love Collection. And we call it the Love Collection because when you look closely at a ring, there's always a little hole underneath each diamond. Well, our holes are heart shaped holes. I've never seen anyone else do that. I've been a jewelry designer, a CAD jewelry designer for seventeen years. That's my personal touch on it. And we have those on our Belliston Love Collection.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: I love that.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: That's great. So it's Belliston Jewelry.
Speaker 2: It's family owned. It's one one five five thirty sixth Street right here in Ogden, Blinging Boom.
Speaker 1: Today.
Speaker 2: With a twenty five hundred dollars purchase, you get a five hundred dollars gift card at Smith and Edwards. Five hundred dollars purchase gets you a thousand dollars gift card at Smith and Edwards. We're also giving away fan X tickets Usavers Canada hockey tickets, My Goodness, Dynamite and Rampage tickets as well. Belliston Jewelry, one one five five thirty sixth Street here in Ogden.
Speaker 1: Joe, Thanks man, Welcome, thank you.
Speaker 2: Coming up on the other side, we'll move over to Matt Brown from Extra Points some college football, well basically the rest of the show college football. Matt Brown, Scott Mitchell, Bill Riley, got you taking care of on a Tuesday. I we're live today Bellist Jewelry up here in Ogden. Want to see all my Northern Utah people today. It's one one five five thirty sixth streets. Just put that address in your GPS and then roll up. That's the easiest thing to do. We're north Ogden. It's one one five five thirty sixth Street right here in Ogden. It's Belliston Jewelry. We're giving away fan X tickets. We have us AVERSUS Canada hockey tickets, Dynamite and Rampage tickets.
Speaker 1: We've got a bunch of giveaways.
Speaker 2: We've got some ute swag bags, some ESPN seven hundred tote bags.
Speaker 1: All you could want.
Speaker 2: Our next guest on a Tuesday afternoon, Matt Brown, Matt Happy Tuesday.
Speaker 1: Do you want me to send you an ESPN seven hundred tote bag.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I think I'm probably good in the toepak department, but I'm I'm about to actually buy tickets to come out to your neck of the.
Speaker 9: Woods in October.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's going by and said you some postage.
Speaker 2: Please do and then Roland Studio if you're available, what brings you out in our direction?
Speaker 3: I am going to I'm going to do a story about your rivals to the South that I think is a very different kind of story than you would probably get in local media. I've got a credential or going to be getting a credential for the era people you Arizona game. But I'm going to try to be out in Utah for probably four or five days ahead of time because there's a lot of people I want to talk to.
Speaker 8: I'm I'm gonna go.
Speaker 3: I'm going to make that stretch. The weather's probably gonna be nicer out here if it is in Chicago, so I'll try to come by and say.
Speaker 1: Hello, Yeah, that'd be great.
Speaker 2: We'd love to have you in studio right downtown Salt Lake. So yeah, that'll be fun to have you out this way.
Speaker 1: All right, A lot to do?
Speaker 2: Where to start? Where to start. Okay, let's start here. The PAC twelve is the PAC twelve is back question mark. I mean, I don't really know what to.
Speaker 1: Make of it.
Speaker 2: I kind of feel bad for our friends up north as far as the Utah State aggies go. But since you and I last spoke, the PAC twelve has made some additions. So your thoughts on what has happened, Matt and what you think will happen next?
Speaker 3: It was I don't mind admitting that this was a surprising development to me.
Speaker 10: I had talked to a couple of people in.
Speaker 3: Those Mountain West leagues, the Mountain West schools, you know, before the football season started, and while this scenario was certainly on the table, the expectation then was this is probably a kind of thing that happens after football or near the end of football. But because the way negotiations broke down over extending that scheduling arrangement, looks like the whole deal kind of happened in four or five days, which I think you can do. When you know, Boise and San Diego State have applied to the PAC twelve what four times probably in.
Speaker 9: The last decade.
Speaker 3: It's not like it's difficult for everybody to get those pitch decks, and when you're a league of only two people, you can move a little bit faster. I am happy that that branding in that league tradition can continue. I'm not right now certain as how much. I don't mean it's going to come across like I think more harsh than I needed to, but how much any of it really matters, because I don't know if the PAC twelve with its six teams and depending on who they end up adding to get to eight or ten, I don't know if that's head and shoulders better than any of the other non power leagues at the moment. I don't know how good of a basketball league it really makes you. And it seems like a use of a lot of money in the Mount westkin use a lot of money here too, to kind of shuffle teams around and hope that maybe three out of every ten years they get a team in the college football playoffs or they get a slightly better first round basketball seed.
Speaker 8: I don't know if that's the best use for.
Speaker 3: One hundred and fifty million dollars or whatever this ends up being. But that's why I write a newsletter and don't run a.
Speaker 1: Conference fair enough.
Speaker 2: So as far as the schools, there's a Memphis report, it feels like UNLV is obvious to get Vegas. Your thoughts because they have to get to eight, as you know, So who do you think they add, Matt Which schools do you think?
Speaker 9: Dad?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So what I had been told is that those six want to get in the central time zone at Memphis and Tulane, and they already hired consulting companies well before last week happened. My understanding is Rice has kicked the Pires on trying to be in this kind of conversation. I imagine there'll be other institutions too, but the appeal for Memphis and Tulane is more about market and more about recruiting territory than it is about academic branding or any of those other things. And I don't expect this league to get beyond ten. If I understand what people point to Vegas and think, well, of course they're going to take you in lv U and LV football has been non atrocious for a season and a half essentially, And I don't think that anybody in the PAC Poll thinks they need to add this team to get into Vegas. They already can host events in Vegas. They've already had the basketball tournament there for a while. They can if they if they don't need you in LV one way or the other to potentially have an event at the Raider Stadium or anything. And you now the political situation with Nevada with the university regents not wanting to split that system like what happened with the UC's and what's been codified into law in a couple of different states, so one thing that they can't get UNLV, but that gets messier, And really, not to be a jerk, but I just don't see a difference between any of the other Mountain West institutions.
Speaker 8: Do you want to holler really hard for New Mexico or Utah.
Speaker 9: State or anybody else?
Speaker 3: I guess you can, but I don't know if if it matters that much.
Speaker 2: So since we are, well, I'm on remote up north today, so I'm actually about twenty five thirty miles away from Logan. I'm not usually this close to Logan, but since we're in Utah, I will follow up. Even though I'm quite sure I know the answer. How many pegs have to fall before Utah State would potentially be a PAC twelve option, any thought, any chance the Aggies could get that phone call.
Speaker 3: You know, I have not heard from any consultant or lawyer or dot edu email addressed person mentioned Utah State, and I've heard I think probably seven or eight schools mentioned at this point, So that probably has.
Speaker 7: To give you that idea.
Speaker 5: Is it impossible?
Speaker 8: No, Utah State has.
Speaker 3: Some advantages in that they've actually been competent at sports, but there's a lot of off the field turboil happening with that university athletic department right now too. Probably not the ideal timing for a less than stable realignment situation.
Speaker 8: I would say it is difficult.
Speaker 3: For me to imagine a world where Utah State is invited and Memphis and Tulane joined this week too. I think there had to be a lot of other people to say no before that becomes a thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna ask you an impossible question, what is the what does the future of college football look like for the Utah States of the world, And you know, the PAC twelve, the reinvented PAC twelve, I suppose is a safeish landing spot for those schools. And I'm sure a lot of the schools look at this as a step up in the right direction.
Speaker 1: But then you know, it's a feeder system obviously with the big two is what.
Speaker 2: It comes down to, and then the other two and you know, now we have this reinvented Mountain West Conference for schools like our friends up north, Matt, what's the future of college football look like for them?
Speaker 3: I think the one. I don't know if there's any comfort to our brothers and sisters and logan, but I would say that, you know, you have more experience with being passed over despite what you're doing on the football field than many other institutions right as I understand it. This happened before with the Whack, This's happened before with other you know, kind of pro do Mountain West conferences and Utah State found ways to exist, sometimes not great on the field, but we're still able to build programs.
Speaker 8: The other kind of elephant in the room here.
Speaker 3: Is I don't think any of us really know what anything looks.
Speaker 10: Like in five years.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's a guarantee, but there's even a Big ten or an SEC football in five years. We could have a world where the college football playoffs separates or because of employment rules, or because of revenue sharing or something else, there's some sort of separation, and some of these league affiliation deals become kind of academic. Whether Utah State has a PAC twelve or a Mountain West or a Conference USA or a Super Metro Conference insignia on their jersey, they're still on the wrong side of the cutoff line. We don't even know if Utah BYU are on the right side of that proverbial Champions League cut off line. That's that's a different conversation. So you might be able to tell yourself that doesn't matter.
Speaker 8: All you need to do is.
Speaker 3: Win and keep supporting your team and showing up and you know, buying drinks at Maverick and whatever you got to do to help keep the department afloat. And then you're not in control anyway. So whatever happens in three or four years is whatever happens, which I get is not a super comforting response, but I think that's the only honest one I can get.
Speaker 2: Oh, oh, madam Maverick joke for our friends and logans, Well, you have to know, maybe you do know this already. The reason why I'm not going to rebuke you for your Maverick. Joke is the best restaurant I've been told the best restaurant Logan, Utah is an Indian restaurant that's located inside of a Maverick.
Speaker 3: Oh. I would absolutely never be smirch gas station cuisine. This is I mean, this is one. This is that's a staple of the of the South.
Speaker 8: Like I I when I lived in Louisiana, I.
Speaker 3: Could think of lots of places in Louisiana, Mississippi where I went to where the best restaurant was inside a gas station and that restaurant was good as hell. Like that's not damning with state praise or anything. I enjoy Maverick as much as the next guy. And if it's helping that company's bottom line, helps free up some extra money to go for other sponsorship deals, you know, then then then do that. Like I'm not going to sit here and pretend like like Tyson's Chicken is some kind of gourmet masterpiece. But you know that's tied up with Arkansas And if you'd like the razorbacks, that's that's that's part of the deal. I I have actually never.
Speaker 8: Been to Logan.
Speaker 3: I don't I don't think I've been north of U more than thirty miles north of Salt Lake. But if I find myself in the neighborhood, I would be more than happy to try. It sounds great.
Speaker 2: What I'd say is, don't put it on the bucket list. But you're run into the sweetest people.
Speaker 10: In the world.
Speaker 1: You know, they're they're very kind up there, so.
Speaker 2: We're cheering for them and hopefully they can find some more stable footing. But let's move off of that, Matt. And ultimately, when we last spoke, I believe I informed you of a little chit chat I had with a former ute, a former NFL player and now a former assistant coach from Colorado, damed Trevor Riley.
Speaker 1: And you know that interview got a lot of traction.
Speaker 2: I'm told that he is currently with a pretty big time writer telling him the story that eventually will come out at some point. But you wrote on this for extra points. What was your take on what Trevor had to say? And kind of let's unpack the piece that you wrote.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I had this earlier this week after our conversation. After listening to your interview, I filed some open records requests because whenever you hear somebody say I have email receipts to prove that I talked to Saudi Arabia about football fundraising. You know, my little antenna on my reporter brain perks up and go, well, I want a few those receipts. So I did, and I got a copy of the pitch deck that that Riley sent over to visit Saudi dot com and a message that was sent on Christmas Day of last year. I believe Trevor was in Jordan at the time, not not in Salt Lake or anywhere else. And you know, a couple of people on the Internet kind of laughed at, oh my gosh, this guy's trying to fundraise money by emailing ask at visit Saudi dot.
Speaker 10: Com, which is a little funny.
Speaker 3: But I don't know if you've ever had to do ad sales to radio station. I've done this for extra points. Sometimes that's the best contact number to work with what you got, And clearly it got in some kind of conversation, I would say, based on the documents that I inspected, and based on the full text of the resignation letter, and based on some other conversations I have with people around around Colorado. So I am not surprised that whatever government agency of Saudi Arabia did not come through ten million dollars to buy promotional Instagram posts on Travis Hunter's Instagram page or Deion Sanders Junior's Instagram page. I think we joked about it before, the idea that that this gentleman had some connections to the three trillion dollars in the Mormon community or whatever. I think we can have a good laugh about that. I don't know if I don't know if anyone was talking about liquidating a temple to go pay the Colorado's NIL Fund or anything. I there's a lot of information I still don't have.
Speaker 9: I tried.
Speaker 8: I tried to reach out to him.
Speaker 3: I've I've there are other people I tried to reach out to that I didn't want to talk, which is fine, that's that's that's their business. Maybe we could talk more later.
Speaker 9: Maybe that's uh.
Speaker 3: Maybe it's Pete Daniel gets gets the gets the full look.
Speaker 2: For me, it's more of just I don't.
Speaker 8: Think this has ever happened anywhere before and uh, and certainly.
Speaker 3: Not happened at this at this scale, and with somebody whose job title doesn't say nil, which makes it, uh, And this makes it, I think, really interesting and newsworthy.
Speaker 1: So ultimately, let me follow up with this.
Speaker 2: I mean, I love Trevor, but he's a lunatic and I've said that to his face and I would again, but he knows I love him. So I'm not saying this is the first of several attempts to inspire the Saudis to love college football. But I'm wondering if you think this could be something potentially that is on the horizon.
Speaker 1: I mean, we've heard a lot of private equity.
Speaker 2: There's a big gap between private equity and Saudi money, for sure, but Saudi's have already purchased pro golf, as I talk about often, and they have their tentacles in several different products like FS one and the Premiership and such. Could college football be high speed ahead to taking some of this dirty money to bridge the gap between the haves and have nots.
Speaker 3: You know, it's an interesting question, and I've tried to do some actual reporting on this, and there's two things that have been pointed out to me from people that work in private equity and people that work in institutional fundraising. Is really over the last six months, it's been much harder for North American and Western European investors to get money out of Saudi Arabia. The folks that are running the p i s, based on how things have changed globally, are generally more interested in doing domestic infrastructure deals than they are with international I P. I mean, that's not to say that they wouldn't talk to the NBA, or they wouldn't talk to uh, you know, International Track or or something else that came up there, but it's it's it's a more conservative lending market with that's fun than it might have been a year or two ago. So it's gonna be harder to get any money, let alone spectus of college football money. The other the other challenge, and I'm not saying that this is that this is impossible, but it is a different thing here. You some you if you're a public institution or a registered nonprofit and you're trying to fundraise with the arm of a foreign government, there's a litany of other regulations you have to follow, right, you may have to be even registered as like a foreign agent. It's a little bit different than if you're trying to go to the Saudi equivalent of Chase bank or someone that's not specifically tied to the royal family. And if you're a nonprofit or if you're an arm of the state, you might not want to deal with that political headache. It's a little bit easier if you're a private institution or or a completely separate wing to potentially take that. So I think for a school like Colorado, or a school like Utah, or a school like Texas Tech or Wyoming or Utah State, I think this would be very, very difficult to do, and there's going to be cheaper, easier way for you to raise that money. Could Baylor do it? I mean maybe, but again I don't think the juice is worth a squeeze right now.
Speaker 2: All right, A couple of interesting pieces of news dropped in the NIL space earlier, So I was glad to see you on the rundown when my producer sent it over. So Brian Kemp, the Governor of Georgia, has signed an order that prohibits the nc double A or athletic conferences from punishing any university or college in Georgia for quote, offering compensation or compensating an intercollegiate student athlete for the use of such student athletes NIL. Even though the house thing is still kind of out there, the NC double A still prohibit schools from directly paid athletes for the rights to use their name, image, and likeness.
Speaker 1: That's still in place.
Speaker 2: What does this signal to you, Matt, this order that was signed earlier today by Brian Kemp.
Speaker 3: I think it signals more that Brian Camp thinks it's politically expedious to wave his middle finger at the NC double A, and that somebody in Kirby Smart's office, you know, had his ear campus has been quick to charge to make sure that Georgia has everything that they need. It's part of why the guy has the nickname Governor Kirby Smart locally for this kind of thing. So I'm not surprised. I don't think it really changes anything. The NCAA has already signaled that they're not going to pursue any NIL investigations or enforcement actions right now while they're waiting for state lawsuits from Tennessee and Virginia to finish going through appeals. So there's that doesn't really change. The NCAA is not going to really do anything, and as a result of this order, Georgia isn't going to immediately begin to proactively do revenue sharing because they want to wait to see what happens with House. And maybe three or four weeks ago that looked like more of a sure thing than it is now now that that's very much an open question. But there's not many political pinatas that are easier to kind of hammer than the NC double A. And I wouldn't be shocked to see more Southern, particularly Southern governors, do something similar because it gets you some friendly gets you some friendly headlines, and no one's gonna achieve. No one's gonna stick up for the NC double A.
Speaker 2: So last time you hopped on, we talked about I want to remember your phrase. I think it was down or fatigue, if I remember correctly, and some news came down actually a year or so ago. I was just pontificating on possibilities of what it would look like when these athletic departments had more cart blanche to start asking their communities for more money, or just implementing things that forces you to pay more money even if you don't want to. And Tennessee steps forward today to increase ticket prices by ten percent to help their nil endeavors. I'll ask you the same question I asked about the bill signed in by Governor Kemp.
Speaker 1: Is this the beginning of a trend?
Speaker 2: Should college football fans and folks in college football communities who love to go to games expect their fees to be jacked up whether they like it or not, in order to start paying some of these players.
Speaker 3: Probably in many markets.
Speaker 8: And I do think it sucks.
Speaker 3: And there's a calculated bet here that Tennessee is making that demand for volunteer football tickets is going to be so high, given that Tennessee is now a regular top ten caliber program compete playoff spots, that the demand won't be impacted if they jack up prices. Actually, I think I want to say they increased up by over fourteen percent, and they said that ten percent is part of this new talent fee. They're going to use the other money for something else, and they can get away with it. I think the youths probably could increase ticket prices and put it all on saying we got to go to talent because demand is high enough that they wouldn't face the significant penalty. But not a lot of schools in FBS can get away with that without starting to now struggle to sell sell some tickets. And I don't blame anybody for reading this Senus News and being really frustrated, because what we've seen over the last really two or three years with nil and running collectives with some exceptions, is there's a lot of people making eight hundred thousand dollars ads asking people that make eighty thousand dollars fans to contribute even more money to pay athletes eight hundred grands and coaches eight millions. And I think it doesn't take long, especially when when gas becomes more expensive and everyone's having to pitch pennies to say, but this math doesn't make sense. The Bears don't do this, The Utah Hockey Club doesn't do this, the Jazz don't do this. They they might raise prices, but they're not going to say, well, we just gave Laura an extension and so we everyone go pay me another eight bucks. I think people people would laugh at that. Any department that's going to try this, I think will lose credibility with their fan base if they don't pair that announcement with concrete examples of and this is what we're doing to save money. This is what we're gonna not spend money on this. These are what we're making cuts. Here's time, we're making changes, and now we're asking you to help kind kind of still in the gaps if you're trying to run your appolic department exactly the way you did before revenue sharing, and just gonna expect that your fans are going to pay an extra twenty something million dollars. I think a lot of people will find themselves are rude awakening.
Speaker 2: All right, switching gears real quick because I wanted to, and I'm genuinely just curious. I think you're gonna be really good with this because obviously we're in the Big twelve footprint now and BYU was a year ago, but Utah has joined them.
Speaker 1: And look, it's not the Big ten, it's not the SEC.
Speaker 2: We know the deal.
Speaker 1: And ESPN Fox whoever it is.
Speaker 2: Their job is to put the best TV show on their TV station so you watch and.
Speaker 1: They can charge for more AD spend.
Speaker 2: I get the deal. But in two weeks, Matt, we have one kicktime for the Big twelve Arizona Utah eight point fifteen. It's a late kickout here for ESPN. None of the other Big twelve games, and.
Speaker 1: There are six of them outside of Utah, so they're seven that day.
Speaker 2: None of the other Big twelve teams have kicktimes, and we don't know the TV state. It's in two weeks. It's not in a month and a half, it's in two weeks. Can you walk us through why.
Speaker 1: This is the way that it is?
Speaker 3: As I understand it. Part of this is because because there's I want to say, there's like a literal draft between ESDN and Fox to see who gets you know what games where where they have they kind of share custody for for some of these rights, and there's there's a lot of horse trading and in a league where there is so much parody, Uh, what what?
Speaker 12: What?
Speaker 3: What the broadcast networks don't want to do is set a TV time six weeks in advance. Using Arizona as an example, Right, came in there as a as a preseason uh, legitimate candidate to win this conference. Uh, somebody who is expected to certainly be in the top three to play the first game against Kannadas State, they get they get whacked.
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 3: Is it possible that in three weeks Arizona is now a non entity in the Big Twelve race? And that their fans begin to check out. Yeah, that's that's that's certainly possible. Then you don't want to have made a huge commitment to putting the Wildcats in prime time, especially because maybe UCS, maybe Arizona State, who I don't know about you I thought was going to be got awful and now looks very common, or somebody else moves up. So because you don't have these blue, blue blood national brands in this conference, with the exception of Deon Sanders Colorado football for maybe one or two more weeks, that that's gonna lead to some more instability and unpredictability and someone that's gonna be good. Some of that makes for exciting television, that's gonna make a lot of these games matter more. And some of that means you're not gonna be marketed the same way and and you're gonna you're gonna have to wait a little bit longer for some of these schedules to still out, which I understand is frustrating but at least could correct me if I'm wrong. I don't believe Utah has any games this year on the PAC twelve networks, So that is I think a positive step in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Well played. Hey before I said you lose, I am disappointed in you.
Speaker 10: Matt getting get in line, brother?
Speaker 2: How did I do this time? Okay, so just last night we had to kick our friend off our techt thread who has an Android because we just we just sew over it and so we kicked him off. I've known him twenty five years. I met him in college. You are that guy on the text thread where it comes up as green and you ruined all of our days.
Speaker 1: I didn't know this about you.
Speaker 3: Well, I just literally switched yesterday and part of the same thing, like I'm in like a group chat with a bunch of other national college football people, and that was kind of the running joke was like I can't believe MAT's so poor that he can't have an iPhone and he has to have this weird bubble and like, I guess we all have to subscribe to extra points out of out of charity cases here. And it's funny because I think literally as I got home with the new iPhone or a new iPhone that I think was Apple released, that they made an adjustment to their app. So now texting with Android users is easier. I don't know I'm still working my way through relearning how to do everything on the iPhone. I feel like a seventy year old man, you know, trying to retype in all my passwords and redownload stuff. But slowly, but surely, I'm being we welcomed into group chats across the country, which I appreciate.
Speaker 2: That's hey, we're going to a concert tonight. He doesn't know about it, Matt, So welcome back to the real world, Buddy. Tell people where they can go find your work before I say you loose you bet.
Speaker 3: Friends, If you enjoy stories about the office field, stuff that shapes college athletics, you can find it at Extra Points mb dot com. You can find me on Twitter, or if I'm hanging out I'm procrastinating doing real work at Matt brown EP.
Speaker 2: All right, we're live today at Belliston Jewelry. It's one one five five thirty sixth streets right here in Ogden. Best thing to do is put that in your GPS and just follow it. Look for the ESPN seven hundred van.
Speaker 1: It's right out front.
Speaker 2: It's eleven fifty five thirty sixth Street, right here in Ogden. We have a bunch of giveaways giving away, free tickets to fan X, free tickets to.
Speaker 1: US Canada hockey.
Speaker 2: Man, those are valuable. I might take those home Dynamite and Rampage tickets as well. It's their Blingin' Boom Special. Porter. This special feels like it's right up your alley.
Speaker 1: Okay. So if you're in the market, I'm not.
Speaker 2: Saying you are, But if you're in the market for an engagement ring, they've got over two thousand different options.
Speaker 1: And if you decide today's the day.
Speaker 2: You spend twenty five hundred dollars on jewelry, you get a five hundred dollars gift card to Smith and Edwards. You you spend five thousand dollars on a jewelry purchase, you get a thousand dollars gift card for Smith and Edwards that they're Blinging Boom Special. She gets the jewelry, you get the guns in the AMMO. I mean, we might as well call this the Porter Larson Special.
Speaker 5: Yeah, except I'm keeping the jewelry and the AMMO.
Speaker 9: So that is that? Okay?
Speaker 2: That's really selfish, man, that's really selfish.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's a deal. I can take advantage of a deal, can't I.
Speaker 1: Well, you can you can if you like?
Speaker 2: Okay, fine, So I guess it is the Porter Larson Special because you get the jewelry and you get the AMMO and you get the guns. No judgment here, no judgment here, all right, Gonna bring in Scott Mitchell.
Speaker 1: We also have Bill Riley joining the show.
Speaker 2: So Scott former you quarterback on our broadcast now and obviously Ryle's the voice of the utes.
Speaker 1: So Porter, we talked about this to start the year.
Speaker 2: Friend of the show question mark Britain Covey, let's start there is Britain Covey still a friend of the show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Actually A messaged with Britt a little bit yesterday. I think he's still a friend of the show. Okay, guest of the show. I think in the somewhat near future. Yes, but maybe we're shunning him or he's shunning us at the moment.
Speaker 1: Still a friend though, Oh he's definitely shunning us.
Speaker 2: I mean he's been on the show multiple times. But I know he was out in Utah for his golf tournament because I helped him get a sponsor in exchange for an hour in.
Speaker 1: Studio and he just ghosted us, as the kids would say.
Speaker 2: But there was this cool video that surfaced of the Eagles training camp where a reporter asked Britain about playing wide receiver and he gave a Britain Covey answer, you know, as to why he uses his sizes at his advantage and how he wants the opportunities to potentially get some looks that way. And Philly last night was without look. Demante Smith is good. They're number one receiver is AJ Brown. Let's make no mistake about that.
Speaker 1: And so as a.
Speaker 2: Result of AJ Brown not playing last night, our guy, Britain Covey had six targets, which is as many targets and catches as he had prior to now. Twenty three yards. His longest reception was nine yards. He almost had a touchdown. But I thought that was pretty cool porter last night seeing Britain Covey actually catch some passes from Jalen Hurts.
Speaker 4: I mean, just getting reps split out wide or at the slot is something that Britain has worked his entire life to achieve. Of course, we've seen him lead the NFL and punt returning now and be a productive and efficient playmaker at that position. But to see him catching passes from Jalen Hurts and as you mentioned, six catches on six targets and at the time, probably the biggest third down conversion of the night for the Eagles. It was awesome to see and hopefully we see only more of it as we go forward. We'll have to see how that wide receiver room really plays out.
Speaker 2: Vjon Robinson is awesome obviously Doak Walker Award winner at University of Texas. So Tyler Al's year after his rookie year, it looked like he might be the guy for them. Well he's backing up Vijon Robinson, but he had a couple of really strong series. Nine carries fifty three yards for Tyler, including a fifteen yard first down run that was big for them. And I was really impressed with Atlanta. I mean, you know, you could do a lot better, and you could do a lot worse than Kirk Cousins. That game looked like it was gonna get loose, and look for all the Philly panic today, and you know, it really is such a great sports city. But there are crazy people there about Nick Siriotti, Like, look, I don't think he's one of the best coaches in pro football.
Speaker 1: I think you could do better than Nick Sirianni.
Speaker 2: But he did go to a Super Bowl and they were a Saquon Barkley drop away from.
Speaker 1: Winning that game.
Speaker 2: So credited Atlanta. It's not an almost league, it's a final score. You know, did you actually get out with the win league?
Speaker 1: For sure?
Speaker 2: In that final drive by Kirk Cousins shows you why a lot of people are very high on what Atlanta is doing, not just with Kurt but the succession plan of Penix.
Speaker 1: Junior behind him. And it was a good win for them. Now they lost to the Steelers week one.
Speaker 2: A lot of people believe that's because, you know, the Steelers DUOC is very familiar with Atlanta system.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I thought last night was a really really good football game overall. Good to see some of the local boys kind of going at it and getting some different type of reps. As Pro football comes to a close for Week two. All right, So some breaking news came down in case you missed it. The Dolphins have placed two a tongue of iloa on ir all right, So that means he'll miss at least the next four games. Now, we talked about this last week after kind of everything went down, and I'll just kind of reiterate what I had to say last week, and Porter, I don't think I got your take on this, so let's dig into it a little bit, you know. And I thought Robert Johnson, former youthe safety played a number of years in pro football, really put it well last week when he said he thinks TUIs should probably walk away.
Speaker 1: It's his fourth cushion in five years.
Speaker 2: He had one in twenty nineteen Obama, and so it's another situation where we're watching him play and suddenly the hands start fancying. It looks horrible. It's my most unfavorite thing about watching football's when that happens. Skyler Thompson's gonna be the backup. He's gonna start on Seattle. But that's not necessary. I mean, I would imagine, you know, Miami's gonna look to make a trade, and maybe they trade for Bryce Young, who was just benched in Carolaina. Our guy Ben Solac kind of pontificated on that possibility. Tyler Huntley has been signed to the practice squad from the Ravens, so he'll be down there.
Speaker 1: We'll see if Snoop can get a look.
Speaker 2: I continue to be uncomfortable with the way this is covered, and maybe it's just me. I don't think it's anybody's place to tell two of that he has to stop playing football at the age of twenty six years old. Now, Rojo's point last week, which is well taken, is that Tua has already secured the bag. I mean, the money's guaranteed. I don't know what the situation would be with the but my guess would be, with how familiar I am with these contractual procedures and other sports and other leagues, is that a medical retirement would mean to gets a giant portion of what's coming to him. But he already pocketed the signing bonus. I think he's already made a grip of money. And he does have two children, he is married. He does seem to be very thoughtful kid. I've always liked his approach. I was a big fan of his. During the draft process, everybody was on Burrow over Tua. I'm not saying that was the wrong thing to do. I just thought that gap was closer than most people.
Speaker 1: But ultimately it's just it's.
Speaker 2: Hard to ask these guys to give this stuff up when if he was healthy, you'd have another decade doing it. But on the other side, if you already had the generational wealth, and you know look called how it is, you are doing what you do every day to try to find a way for you and your family to have a better life. You probably want to make more money. You probably want to build a business. You probably want to do something where you don't have to worry about paying bills month a month. You can put some aside to take care of your family and maybe leave some behind for your children. And if suddenly, at the age of twenty six, you had done that and your health was compromised because of what you were doing, ask yourself what you would do? Would you So let's say you're an HVAC. You roll around, You're fixing heating and air conditioners. You're working all day. You are grinding and grinding away to make a living so you can pay your bills and take care.
Speaker 1: Of your family.
Speaker 2: And suddenly, at the age of twenty six, you realize you have more than enough for this lifetime and the next four or five lifetimes if you invest the money correctly and if you're careful with it, would you keep doing what you were doing if it was compromising your health? I think the easy answer is absolutely not right. As I talked about last week, there is a thing with these guys.
Speaker 1: I mean, they are different. They're pro athletes are different.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there are several.
Speaker 2: People, including my producer, who at one point, including me, at one point had a dream and a premonition of one day being a professional athlete when you're young, and then.
Speaker 1: You run into these pros.
Speaker 2: And for me, it was sixteen years old out a basketball camp when I ran into God Sham God.
Speaker 1: At the time, you know, his situation was, he was a Providence commit.
Speaker 2: He was a junior out of the East Coast and Sham God Wells was the name of the time. He's now God Sham God the assistant coach of the Dallas Mavericks. He was a rising junior who had committed to Providence, and I thought I was a really good player. And I realized then, like they're just built differently, they think differently, they're wired differently. They're such a confluence of things that I have to combine for them to ever cut a paycheck doing what they do, and when they do that for a number of years and they're successful at it, it really becomes their identity, like it or not.
Speaker 1: It just does.
Speaker 2: And when they walk away from it oftentimes, as we talked with Rojo about, it's tough, it's hard, you never get that thing again. You know, a couple of weeks ago, I think I was telling you I went in MC the dinner for the two thousand and nine RSL MLS championship team, and you have Kyle Beckerman, who was the captain US men's national team player, a bunch of other players as well, and then Jason Christ who joined the show earlier. And these are two guys that are successful in the second act of their careers, but when pressed, they all say the same thing. Nothing that I will nothing that I've done, and nothing that I will ever do will ever make up for the feeling that I had when I was playing, When I was in the arena, when I was on the field, when I was on the pitch, when I was on the court, it's just different. So I'm not really landing on a spot one way or the other here. I think it's just decent to consider all options. Again, Tua, two kids, generational wealth, never has to make another dime in his life. If you were in that spot at the age of twenty six, what would you do. I think most of us would walk I really do. But the dynamic of achieving what Tua has achieved in a space that is so coveted and so hard. You know, there are a lot of jobs we could all go get. This is one that the point one one one percent or whatever it is, point zero zero one percent of guys who try to do what Tua tried to do actually accomplish, and then you tell him it's time to walk away.
Speaker 1: I think it's tough.
Speaker 12: I really do.
Speaker 1: I would understand.
Speaker 2: I'm not offense sit or you guys know that if you listen to the show, I think I would understand both sides of this thing. I think Mike McDaniel has guided them brilliantly through this entire situation, wanting more information about the help before you even talk about it as a player.
Speaker 1: But Porter, before we catch your break, let me bring you on, Let me bring you in on this.
Speaker 2: So we now have the information that he will be on the IR, meaning he misses at least four games, and that certainly isn't as important as how he is doing as a person.
Speaker 1: But I haven't heard from you on the two of stuff this week. Let me hear your take.
Speaker 4: Well, it's it's such a complicated in difficult topic because obviously all of us that love football and love the sport understand the set facts and the you know, the the developments that we've had in the last ten fifteen years on what the sport does to the human body, which is again not good. We can admit that we can we can now discuss it openly and we know how bad it can be. Right, We've seen the lives of a football players end in horrific ways because of and thanks in part because of the things that they go through in their careers and the things that their brains go through. So should to hang it up with what seventy plus million dollars in the bank and everything that he could ever want in front of him?
Speaker 5: Probably?
Speaker 4: But I just I just can never get myself, like you were saying, to get to the point where I tell someone or even really input my opinion on someone else's life decision. Where Spence there or maybe now there are thirty two starting quarterbacks NFL, but there are maybe twenty five starting caliber NFL quarterbacks in the NFL out of eight billion people on the planet. To get to that point takes a talent, a work, a life long dedication to get to where you are. That most of us, the other eight million, don't even understand, don't even fathom, right, So I struggle to tell someone that they should or or you know, should move on or it's the right thing for them, because hell, I don't know, Maybe two of values being an NFL quarterback more than he values being around when he's sixty or seventy.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Those are really difficult questions you can only answer if you are that person. But I do think Spence, we we have the I guess, the knowledge, the science, and we know what his bank account looks like. That I would say, I safely would would probably walk away if that were me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Man, that's a tough one.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, it seems like such a good kid and a great husband and great dad. But you know, we'll see how it plays out, all right. Coming up during the four o'clock hour of the show, you're gonna hear from Scott Mitchell and then you're gonna hear from Bill Riley.
Speaker 1: We got two hours down, We have two hours to go.
Speaker 2: Reminder, tonight is the Kyle Whittingham Coaches Show, right after we say good night at six o'clock, it'll be Bill, It'll be Coach with a couple of you players looking back on the Utah State win and looking ahead to a big, big game on the road and still watered against Okay State, So stay tuned for that. If you miss Jason Christ from Matt Brown, good stuff today from both RSL is back in action coming up Tomorro against FC Dallas. It is such a massive match man So America first field seven point thirty will be that kick time.
Speaker 1: So if you miss Jaydaday, some good, very honest stuff.
Speaker 2: On the current situation with Rayl salt Lake, and then Matt Brown stopped by to discuss it. A couple of different things pertaining to the sport and the business side, specifically of college foot ball. Where in case you missed it, a couple of pieces of news in the NIL space broke earlier today and one of them is something to really pay attention to. Okay, I'm not saying this is going to happen, but my guess is it will happen in a lot of different places. The University of Tennessee announced today they've increased their ticket prices by ten percent to help pay athletes via nil. It's called a talent fee on tickets to help pay these athletes as part of a new revenue sharing plan set to begin next year.
Speaker 1: And this is not optional. Excuse me, this is not an option. This is mandatory.
Speaker 2: So in addition to the ten percent increase on all ticket invoices, season tickets and single game purchases, as well as donations for that seat, Tennessee will add an average increase of four point five percent on all football tickets. So don't be surprised if this is commonplace. We talked a lot about what's being branded as donor fatigue with Matt, So some good stuff there, all. Right, before we catch a break, let's welcome in my buddy Doug from Farmer and Chemist.
Speaker 1: Doug. Happy Tuesday man, How are we doing?
Speaker 8: Bence?
Speaker 13: Thanks brother, Happy Tuesday to you as well.
Speaker 1: Appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: So let's start with what you guys helped me out with, and that is my sleep issues. Not a great sleeper, never have been, not even as a kid. And you guys gave me some gummies, some CBD gummies that I've been taking out for a couple of weeks. And you know, I say this all the time, Doug. When you guys join us, Let's get you off the sleep manage. Let's get you off the ambient, let's get you off the benzos. Let's try something a little bit more natural. So let's start with what farmer and chemists can do for folks that have trouble sleeping.
Speaker 13: I love what you're saying.
Speaker 8: That's exactly right.
Speaker 13: We have created an amazing gummy that I don't like to call it magic, but it's kind of magic. It's thirty five milligrams of CBD, five milligrams of CBN, and four milligrams of THC.
Speaker 9: And I say that too.
Speaker 13: Does everybody know that with all of those kannabinoids in a pharmaceutical great gummy, then sleep really is improved.
Speaker 8: We have just enough THHC.
Speaker 13: But then the really the best part is that CBN and CBN is a cannabinoid that not everybody includes in their gummies and is really helpful with sleep as you're experiencing.
Speaker 2: So the other thing, I've got this pesky tennis elbo because I golf way too much, and you gave me a balm of some sorts that has been super effective. Actually, keep a tube of it in my golf bag. So if I'm tiding up while I'm playing golf, I just lab it on and then rub it in and it actually really does help out. So let's talk now to people with muscle soreness or arthritis. How can you guys help them kind of alleviate some pain and maybe get them off some pain mets, get them off some opioids.
Speaker 13: Yeah, if you think opioids or n sids like I have your pro center of OLTAAR and di clofinac, all of those have long term negative effects on our liver. And CBD alternatives, especially topical like you're carrying in your bag, are safe and tremendously effective. So what you're carrying is problem solved that has over two thousand milligrams of CBD plus CBG and even some THC in the salve. And the reason for that is CBG is an amazing natural anti inflammatory. So you rub that on and literally two to five minutes later, the swelling is down, the pain is going away, and it's almost immediate relief. The lasts about twelve to twenty four hours, depending on what you're using it for.
Speaker 2: All right, Doug, before I set you loose, you know, I'm sure there are a lot of listeners that have heard about the benefits of CBD and are maybe confused, like, am I going to buy illegal drugs? Am I going in there and buying like a bunch of weed? Like, I'm sure we just have it's just lack of education. I didn't know about CBD before learning about it through you guys. So for our listeners that would be interested, maybe they're on some heavy sleep meds or some have you pain meds, what's the best process for them to become educated and therefore know how you guys can help them.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: Thanks, that's a really great question. So Farmer and Chemist was developed by pharmacists. I'm a pharmacist, Jeff's a pharmacist. We have real chemists. Blake devises all of our products and creates them in a pharmaceutical grade lab here in the valley. So the best process is just to come into the store at seventy seven nineteen South Maine in historic Midvale and talk to our team there about problems that you're having and how we can help create solutions for you. And we're happy to counsel with you. So, if you'd like to talk with a pharmacist about those opioids and SAIDs or anything else that you're using, and find out what a natural alternative might be. We'd be happy to share all of our knowledge with you and help you learn about CBD that really is effective.
Speaker 2: Doug, you need to record vos for like metical dative apps. Man, you've got a very relaxing voice. I don't know if you've considered that as a side hustle, but I would consider it.
Speaker 13: Well, we'll chat later.
Speaker 8: You can help me out.
Speaker 1: Thanks for the time, man, How are we going?
Speaker 2: Okay, Hey, you have a great day.
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 2: We're live today Belliston Jewelry one one five five thirty sixth Street right here in Ogden. Best thing to do is put that address in your GPS, and there are a lot of reasons to come by eleven fifty five thirty sixth Street here in Ogden. We are giving away fan X tickets Usavers Canada tickets, Dynamite and Rampage tickets, and we have pizza.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 2: Who doesn't love pizza? However, great deals on jewelry and guns, because that's what we do here at Belliston and Sidney. Belliston stops by once again, Sidney.
Speaker 1: How are you. I'm good.
Speaker 12: How are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm good?
Speaker 2: So I asked Joe this, I'm gonna ask you for your your perspective. You know, I know nothing about diamonds. I know nothing about rings, and my guess is a large portion of my audience also does not know. So when you don't know about something, it's intimidating to go in and ask questions, right, yeah, because you don't want to be sold something that isn't good. Tell us about your Your reviews are amazing. You obviously do a great job taking care of your customers. But what makes your process different than other jewel jewelers?
Speaker 12: So we have a really really good team of people that are trained really really well. So any questions that people have, they can feel comfortable coming in and know that whoever they talk to, we'll be able to answer their questions. We've spent a lot of time making sure that our employees are really well educated on the whole the whole process of all of that.
Speaker 2: It's also different when you're a family owned business, right, Like, it just means a little bit more.
Speaker 1: It's like a labor of love.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely. We've also worked really really hard. My husband in particular in the custom design area. So right now we actually have five CAD designers on staff and three in store jewelers. So so whatever whatever people want, whether it's a ring or if they want a custom pendant or you know, whatever it is, my husband is actually designed like a like a gun shaft before for somebody and welded it onto their gun.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, So wow, that's pretty impressive. Is he making you say all these nice things about him?
Speaker 12: No, he's not.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, fair enough, all right.
Speaker 2: So you tell us about this specially you guys came up with. It's the best of both worlds for any couple, for a man and for a woman's Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 12: The bling and boom event is what we're calling it. So anybody can come in and pick out twenty five hundred dollars worth of jelry and get a five hundred dollars voucher to Smith and Edwards where they can go pick out a rifle, a handgun, ammo. So they get the diamonds, she gets the diamonds, she gets the bling, and he gets the boom.
Speaker 2: Gotta love it. And also, if you spend five thousand dollars, you get one thousand dollars to Smith and Edwards as well. Right, yep, absolutely, all right, before I set you loose, we were talking about with with Joe the Belliston Love Collection, which kind of is unique to you, well not kind of, it is unique to you guys, So tell our listeners about that sitting before I set you go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So that's.
Speaker 12: Actually something Joe came up with a few years ago, and it happened to come up with a ring that he designed for me. Underneath every diamond there's a little hole where the diamond is set. And the way we design ours is that hole is instead of just being a circle, it's a heart cut out.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 12: So I've got I've got a ring that has quite a few diamonds in it and there's a heart under every single one. So it just makes it a little extra special that you know it's there. It's not it's not something that is obvious to everybody, but you know it's there, and it just it's a little more special.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 2: Belliston Jewelry, eleven fifty five thirty sixth Street here in Ogden. Come on by and say hi, Sidy, thank you very much. Okay, thank you all right, coming up on the other side. We'll bring in Scott Mitchell, former Utah quarterback, and to move over to Bill Riley after that Voice of the Youth. So two hours left in the show. It's more or less all college football on a Tuesday. All right, live today up here in Augden, it's Bellaston Jewelry. It's eleven fifty five thirty sixth Streets.
Speaker 1: Come on bye.
Speaker 2: With a twenty five hundred dollars purchase on Jewelry, you get a five hundred dollars gift card to Smith and Edwards. With a five thousand dollars purchase on jewelry, you get a one thousand dollars gift card at Smith and Edwards. Is the best of both worlds. She gets jewelry, you get guns or Ammo. Because America eleven fifty five thirty sixth Street is where you find us. We're giving away fan X tickets, US AVERSUS Canada tickets, Hockey Style Dynamite and Rampage tickets as well. Let's do more college football. Our next guest one of the best to.
Speaker 1: Ever do it. You know him, you love him.
Speaker 2: Scott Mitchell on a Tuesday afternoon. Scott, Happy Tuesday, buddy, How are we doing.
Speaker 8: Excuse me, thanks, I'm doing wonderful spence. You know I was up in Ogden last week. I drove through there on my way to Logan.
Speaker 2: All right, well, I wish you were back up here today, but we'll do it over the phone today, Scott, we'll do it over the phone.
Speaker 1: I want to start with a question about two.
Speaker 2: Before we get to the utes, which is where we'll spend most of our conversation. So news just came down, Scott. He's going to the IR so he's gonna miss four. And the conversation, of course, is should he just stop playing? Should he step away from the game as a father and as a husband who's already made generational wealth, is it something he should consider doing. I don't have the perspective you do, because you guys are unicorns. What do you make of the conversation right now surrounding TUATANGAVLOA.
Speaker 8: Well, it's a history that you know, this isn't the first time, it's not even the second time, it's the third time, and you really start to have to ask yourself the question. There's a lot of history with guys who have had concussions. They start to get them and then they just they don't go away and they come back more frequently. Steve Young had the Troy Aikman Chris Miller back in my time, and so it's it's something that more than likely is never going to go away in his career. And it's a real thing that the concussions, and you know, it's it's not about you know, your life, because your life in the NFL, even if it's a long time, is really a short time in your life. There's a lot, a lot to go, a lot of life to live after you're done, and you really have to ask you yourself a question. It's hard, though, to answer that question, because to get there, you put your you put your body through so much, you put your mind through so much. You've sacrificed so much, and in a lot of cases, you know, you've sacrificed a lot of having a normal body ever again. And that's just the reality of it. And so to get there, to have that drive, to have that competitives, it's hard just to turn it off. I mean, you thought kind of dealing that with that with Cam Rising. You know, he's a guy that doesn't know half speed. He doesn't know when to run out of bounds. He doesn't know discretion, you know, He's just like full speed ahead and I'm going to you know, and I'm gonna I'm just gonna run into whatever I can and and you don't want to take that away, you know, from from a really good player, and I think it's hard to So it's a hard, a hard decision on top of you know, Spence, it's really cool to go to go do that. Like I can't even describe to people what it felt like to play. It was incredible, it was amazing, and I loved it and I loved every minute of it. And when it's over, it's over and you don't go back to that. So it's a lot of conflicting emotions and feelings going through a decision to go, Hey, you know, I'm I'm going to pack it in. But you really, it's your health, your family, and your your life, your quality of life really should should win the day.
Speaker 1: I wonder some interesting stuff there.
Speaker 2: And I was talking about this earlier, because ultimately, you had an experience that most of the rest of us who played sports growing up dreamed of having but weren't able to get there. You were able to get there, and you know, I talked to a lot of X pros. I work with a lot of X pros on the media side. I was on the team side for a number of years. Do you ever come close to experiencing anything, anything at all like you did when you were a player? And attendant to the question, have you ever talked to a peer or a former teammate that has been able to find that thing that fills that void?
Speaker 1: It always is interesting to me.
Speaker 2: To witness former longtime successful pro athletes try to figure out what to do next, and even if they're successful in those endeavors, which plenty of them are, they never seem.
Speaker 1: To find that thing. Man, you know what I mean. So give me your thoughts on that.
Speaker 8: Well. The only thing that I've come close to feeling like when I played is some of the interviews I've had on your show. But they were close, they just weren't quite there.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm glad I can help fill the void.
Speaker 8: Actually, one of the things that I really enjoy because you can't. There's nothing that I've not found anything that that replaces it. But I'll tell you something that was close, and it was coaching and coaching high school football even and it's one thing to go out and do it yourself, and and the enter, you know, the excitement of a game. And I don't care where you play, you know, or coach or whatever. Going out and playing in the game's fun. It's exciting, and it's it's a great thing. But to see other people learn and have success from something you taught them, that that was a that was a cool thing for me. And and to see them uh progress and get better and win and succeed at it, and and and really you know, seeing you change lives, that that was extremely exciting for me. I had an opportunity to spend some time with Roger Staubach, who did an incredible transition from his playing career into very very successful commercial real estate endeavor and and I actually asked him, I said, you know, you impact the life of so many people in your business. You know, I think he had fifteen hundred employees. And I said, that must be a really satisfying thing. And he says, it's the one thought I think about every day that my decisions and how I run my business, you know, impact the life of thousands of people every day, and it's really the driving force of what I'm doing. And so I think, you know, engaging in things that make a difference and impact people in a good way. That's kind of where I've found It. Certainly doesn't replace or feel the same as when you played football at its highest level, but it's a very rewarding thing to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Well said, all right, last pro football question, then we'll move on to some mute stuff. Britain Covey Scott last night, I got six targets, six catches, which equals the targets and catches he had had prior to last night. Now, no AJ Brown, that's Philly's wide receiver one, but that's still a crowded room. I got DeVante Smith some other good players. Do you think we're going to see this moving forward, Britain Covey being utilized not just as a punt or a kickoff returner, but actually getting reps and getting looks from Jalen Hurts as a wide receiver.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I've always loved Britain. I don't think they utilized him as effective as they could have at Utah. I mean, he's a in that slot position where you're not going up against the team's you know, shut down corner you're a little bit undersized, but amazing speed quickness. You know, he has that speed and quickness that translates to the NFL. He's a playmaker. He's a guy that can make plays and he's got a you know, he's just a tremendous human being. I mean, he's just a really good person. He understands, he gets it, he works hard at it. And for guys like that, there's always a place. You know, Taysom hill at Uyu, he was a quarterback, but he was a much greater athlete and they figured out how to utilize him. And the NFL is good at that. They just find they find places for people who have unique abilities and talents. And you see that Julian Edelman's and some of these undersized receivers have a ton of success in the NFL because they're they're quick, and they can get open and they can be productive and and uh, you know, I just see Britain being a guy like that, and he's he's done enough. He's found ways to keep himself there and relevant because there you know, your opportunity will come at some point if you stick around, you just have to be ready for it when it happens, and you're seeing a little bit of that with with Britain in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: All right, moving over the utes, let's uh, let's go back to last Saturday, Average Stadium, first time up in Logan in twelve years.
Speaker 1: For the utes start out a little Harry and a lot of people were nervous.
Speaker 2: You could definitely feel it, getting the text messages from buddies and family members like is this really going to go down?
Speaker 1: But I is it answered some questions, Scott, I mean, I was proud of the kid.
Speaker 2: It's weird to say, but you fans, of course, a little PTSD from a year ago, when you know Cam goes down, then Brandon goes down, and it was Bryson, then it was Nate, that it was Bryson and Nate, and it just it never looked. It never looked the way it needed to to be prepared for an emergency if you lose a couple of quarterbacks. And I think at least for one day, Isaac answered some questions about what it does look like should Cameron have to miss time?
Speaker 1: So give me your thoughts on Isaac's performance against you here.
Speaker 8: Well, we witnessed the Cam rising backup bull on Saturday, you know, between Bryce and Barnes and Isaac Wilson and Won the former and now the president, and you know that was that was the really big thing for me. Football. Football seasons are and games have emotional ebbs and flows and and you know, the whole the whole tide of the game kind of you know, it just it just changes all the time, and good teams, mature teams and capable teams find a way to kind of change that momentum and answer to that momentum. I think Utah was down fourteen to three, and you know, I was one of those nervous people as well, and that's when that's when it just clicked in and they went on a drive, went down and scored And it was really that moment of kind of changing that low point in the game into a really positive thing. And look, two things are happening. First, it's a road game, and road games are real regardless of the opponent. And you're in and Utah's in this new environment. It's tough, they came to play, they have they have some players. And then you're starting a true freshman quarterback, Isaac Wilson is I mean, he's barely out of high school barely looks like he's at a junior high school. And it's and so he's, you know, he's dealing with that, and the whole team's dealing with that. You know, how does kids going to respond even though it's you know, not they're not playing Texas, They're still playing a good football team. And and and you still get nervous before your first start. And so it took a minute and and and it and then when he started gaining confidence, it's when everyone else really started gaining confidence. But I appreciated coach Whittingham, coach Ludwig for saying, we're not going to abandon this kid. We're not going to stifle him where I mean they started the third quarter, I think they threw the ball five or six straight times in a row. I don't know that. I don't know that's ever happened with Cam Rising in the game, and he and Isaac Wilson was way up to the challenge. I mean, he made some really really mature moves and throws in the location and uh, you know, he can throw the ball pretty much anywhere you need him to, and and you could just see him getting more comfortable and more confident as the game went on, and I just I was just thoroughly impressed with the very beginning of Isaac Wilson.
Speaker 2: So let's move over now to what Utah State was able to do and what you think it means as far as what Utah has to improve upon moving forward, because look, there were soul Faizan kid is a good back, but they're about to see Ali Gordon, who won the dok Walker a year ago nineteen carries one point fifteen. Utah State goes for three eighty five in total. Oh, I would imagine that Morgan and Kyle aren't thrilled with that, And I think it's probably fair to say that if you're not better in those areas, Okay, States can provide a really, really stiff challenge on the road. So your thoughts on that dynamic and other dynamics you think Utah needs to improve upon this week to go get that win in still Water.
Speaker 8: Well, offensively, you know, it's being able to consistently go down the field and score. You're just gonna have to do that. You're gonna have to. You can't get shut down and go three and out four or five times in a game. You don't they don't have very many possessions even anymore in college football with the change of time, you can't get your defense tired. So and that's what Cam Rising is really good at is he can consistently go down the field and score on teams. Oklahoma State has had some challenges defensively, but on the defensive side, you know, Utah decided to go after Bryce and Barnes put their dvs who really haven't been put in a lot of tests, you know, press man coverage, and bryceon took shots, I mean, and some of them he connected on amazing catches, but also some really good defensive plays. You know, you kind of throw those fifty to fifty balls and it was kind of fifty to fifty fifty percent of the time. They made great catches and we had two really really good interceptions Smith Snowden and Cameron Calhoun. But Utah's DNA is to stop the run. Oklahoma States DNA is to run the football, and so it's a matchup of power versus power. What Oklahoma State it has shown is that they're not afraid if you're gonna stack the box on them, which everyone has done. Everyone's just so far this season just said, we're not going to let Olli Gordon beat us. You're gonna have to be throwing the football, and Ali Bohannon has actually been able to do that so far. And that's the thing I think that's really surprised me is Oklahoma State's willingness to throw the ball and throw it a lot early this year. I think that's going to be the challenge of the game. Is you know, you've got to be able to stop the run. I mean, if you don't stop the run, you're not gonna win. So you've got to be able to stop the run. But you also have to minimize the success that Oklahoma State's going to have throwing the football.
Speaker 2: All right, Scott, before I set you loose, I mean, look, I hate to even say it this way, but if I told you that you had to place a sizeable bet with the Scott Mitchell quarterback NFL savings on whether or not Cameron Rising was going to play all season, my guess is you would say probably not. I don't know what the confidence level is around here that the kick can stay healthy.
Speaker 1: I want him to, we all want him to.
Speaker 2: So let's move over to Saturday and let's go under center with Cam, we all believe he is going to be the guy?
Speaker 1: What do you hope to see from him?
Speaker 2: Because the whole conversation I had it with you, I had it with other coaches, other people leading up to the season, is can you change the way that kid's mind is wired so that when he is in trouble he gets out of trouble as opposed to trying to make something happen. So from the standpoint of that, what are you hoping to see on Saturday? And then just from a big picture standpoint, what are we hoping to see from Cameron rising in still Water against Okay State.
Speaker 8: Well, the thing I'm curious about is how much does this impact his ability to throw? I mean, he had a glove on last week. There's a lot of speculation that will wear a glove. Some quarterbacks have had a lot of success. Kurt Warner started wearing a glove all the time and really liked it. And I know, when you go from not wearing a glove to wearing a glove, there's just a time of getting comfortable and confident with that. And if it if it helps Cam to be successful, you know, maybe wearing a glove makes all the difference in the world. And he's totally fine throwing the ball, but if it's if it's awkward and it feels weird and he can't feel get comfortable with it, it's going to be an issue. But to me, can he throw effectively? And he's going to have to because they're going to stack the box against Utah because these two teams are mirror images of each other. They want to run, They're going to try to run against, you know, an expanded front, but they're also going to throw the ball down the field when they have to. And I just to me, can he can he throw and not not have this be an issue. One of the good things Utah has this year is two bye weeks. Have a bye week, it's the first of October and the first of November. And a lot of these kind of nagging injuries that some of these players are going to get, They're going to get some really good time to rest up and go through what I think is going to be a long season. And but Cam has got to be able to to throw the football. I'm not gonna at this point in Cam's career. I think Kyle's kind of come to this as well. He's not gonna change who he is. He's gonna go out there and he's gonna, you know, he's gonna storm the beaches and do his thing. And I think you just have to roll with it. And but I think he can feel pretty comfortable with Isaac Wilson being, you know, a solid backup, and he'll probably end up playing some more this year.
Speaker 2: All right, Scott, thanks for the time. Buddy travels safe and I have a great call on Saturday.
Speaker 8: Okay, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Thanks all right, Scott Mitchell joining us.
Speaker 2: Coming up on the other side, Bill Riley will stop by the Voice the Voice of the Utes himself, The Bill Riley Mullet Watch is on, by the way, time to catch up with a voice the Voice of the Utes, and the Bill Riley Mullet Watch continues as Utah is now three to zero. Ryle's happy Tuesday, man, How are we doing?
Speaker 10: I'm not doing as good as you are in O town with your bling and your boom.
Speaker 1: Look, you know me, I'm about the bling, I'm about the boom. I'm about America. I'm about football, you know.
Speaker 2: You know me?
Speaker 1: Bill, this is right down my alley, well it is.
Speaker 10: And speaking of mullet Watch. It's only appropriate to bring mullet watch up as we head to Oklahoma State this weekend, where the guy that rocks the mullets from back when, back in his playing day is still rocking it today. Mike Gundhy is the head coach.
Speaker 2: So we do need to reset Bill because you join me preseason. And I said, Bill in honor of Mike Gundhy, in honor of the Big twelve. Quite frankly, we're gonna see a lot mullets this year, Gay, more mullets than we're used to. Will you agree to grow a mullets if utahgoes twelve and oh?
Speaker 1: And your response was.
Speaker 10: Absolutely yes, sir, grow a mullet out. I will party, you know, business upfront, party in the back if the utes go twelve and zero on the regular season that spends check its is my pledge to you, and I will come out on a remote bling and boom or non and we will sport that mullet next fall we have to play. I'll rocket the entire off seat. Well I won't say the entire offseason. I'll rock it to a point. But you can be the judge and jury of how long I keep the mullet.
Speaker 2: Bro you almost just buried yourself. I was not expecting you keeping the mullet all off season, but you almost put that on the table.
Speaker 1: That's why I just let you go. I want to see if you'd actually do that.
Speaker 2: The fact of the matter is the remote that you need to come on when you have your mullet is the blinging boom special.
Speaker 1: It feels right.
Speaker 10: Well, you know, we probably should move it up to Smith and Edwards. I think the mullet probably fits better at Smith and Edwards than it does at the jewelry store.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, fair enough, moving on.
Speaker 2: I just wanted to re establish the Bill Riley mullett watch on our little radio show.
Speaker 1: Here all right, Bill, I thought Isaac answered a lot of questions.
Speaker 8: Man.
Speaker 2: I thought he met the moment. I was skeptical. It didn't look great against but Baylor. It didn't look great to st But I sounds weird to say. I was prid of the kid. Man.
Speaker 1: I thought he answered a lot of questions on Saturday. What are your takeaways?
Speaker 10: I thought he looked really good. It's amazing with you know, another week of practice, when you get most of the reps and you know you you get you know, you know the game plans yours. I just thought he was really good. You know, he was a little I won't say shake yet. I think he was just there were some nerves early when the ball was sailing on him, but once he got dialed in, you could really see him. And you know, there were two throws spins he made two of them. They were almost the same throw that that in between the safety and linebacker, in between the linebacker and corner. Throw that he dropped in a couple of times on the sideline to Money Parks. Those are high level throws. And I thought he did a heck of a job.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I agree with you.
Speaker 2: So, you know, with the sensitivity of injuries, shout out coach Lud. I know they don't talk much about them. I just I need to know where we're at with Cameron on a Tuesday. All the intel I have, all the intel most people seem to have, is that he is good to go. He's planning on playing quarterback against Okay, Stayton still Water, you're the voice.
Speaker 1: What's the update?
Speaker 10: They do the coaches show tonight. So I'll be heading over to the facility in a little while. I'll get a better update. But I think Dorian Singer said to the media yesterday, maybe the Josh Furlong from KSL, that he was expecting Cam to play this weekend. So I'm not sure if Dorian got the memo, the Ambulandwig memo and the Kyle Whittingham memo about not talking about injuries, but I think he build Josh Furlong he's expecting Cam to play. So I'll have better feel for tonight. I have to talk to to Kyle. But I think that's kind of what everybody thought, unless there's some sort of a setback that I think everybody was kind of circling this date. Brett McMurphy had reported it last week at Action the Action Network, and then you know, I think it was Dorian Singer who said something yesterday. So I think that's the expectation this weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough.
Speaker 2: That's kind of how we're operating on the show as well. So recently, Bill, you became a fan of the Kansas City Chiefs, so I want to ask you a question about obviously a kid, Bill's been a lifelong Chiefs man. I felt about Utah the same way I felt this weekend about watching the Chiefs.
Speaker 1: I never thought they were going to lose. Were you ever nervous on Saturday?
Speaker 2: Did you feel like it was getting to the point where this upset could potentially go down? Uh?
Speaker 10: No, I didn't. I just thought Utah was better. I thought Utah State treated it like it was their super Bowl, and they played out of their minds, and Bryce and Barnes made some really nice plays, and I thought they schemed things up really well. But I never got the sense that they were going to be good enough for four quarters to beat Utah. Maybe I didn't think they'd put twenty one on the board, but I thought that they had a really good game plan and they ran it okay, and Barnes used his legs and made some nice throws. But there was never a point where I thought that Utah might lose that game. Conversely, there were several points where I thought maybe the Chiefs would lose. But at this point in time, I think I should just understand that both Mahomes and Specnolo's defense are really good, so they know good teams find ways to win, and the Utes are good, the Chiefs are good.
Speaker 1: Dude.
Speaker 2: At this point, you should watch Chiefs games with no anxiety. In my opinion, they just always seem to figure it out. They'll stub their toe here there, they'll be there in February. They're probably gonna win the damn thing again. But anyway, moving on, I don't mean this disrespectfully to Rashul Faison, who is a very competent back. He goes for a buck fifteen. But Utah's about si Ali Gordon, all right. He won the joke Walker, as we all know. And I would imagine if you're Morgan Scalley, I would imagine if you're Kyle Whittingham, you're watching that game film and you're a little bit concerned about Utah State going for what three eighty five on oh, I would imagine this week, the defense has it a pretty intense task to improve prior to Saturday.
Speaker 10: Well, it's funny because you can't really just luging. Alan Bowman a good quarterback. Now, he's as old as Cam Rising. He's played more football than Rising. But he's good, and they've got good receivers. They're pretty balanced. But yeah, you're always gonna hear coaches. He'll probably say it on the Coaches Show tonight. Get to stop the run first and Oli Gordon ran for seventeen hundred yards and twenty one touchdowns a year ago up to a little bit slower start this year. And I'm not sure why yet. I haven't kind of dug into Oklahoma State stuff yet, but he's really good and I think part of its spence is karennie Reid didn't play Saturday, and he missed the second half of the game against Baylor the week before. And as good as Lander Barton is, karennie Reid's kind of the kind of the heart and soul and the eyes and ears of that defense getting everybody in the right place. And I think there was probably a little bit of an adjustment period without krennie Reid last week. So whether it's so Ony fo two or it's John new Hall this week that steps in at that linebacker spot, whoever, it is more responsibility on Lander Barton because he's kind of the veteran in there. But those guys have to be in the gaps and tackle better than they were a week ago. Because you're right, Faison's a solid running back, Ollie Gordon's and NFL he'll be playing on Sundays running back and if you don't doesn't stop the run. Oklahoma State will run it all day long.
Speaker 2: So just to follow up, is the anticipation that Utah goes to still Water without Karena?
Speaker 8: I think so.
Speaker 10: I saw him last week and he had a walking boot on, so my anticipation is, yes, that's probably the case. I don't know. Again, I haven't been over the facility yet this week, but when I saw him last week, he was in a walking boot and said it might be a little while, So we'll see what happens.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So as of now, I kind of feel about the running back position as I do about the quarterback position.
Speaker 1: It's pretty clear mackay is the guy. But the more and more I watch Mike, I think there's a lot to like.
Speaker 2: So does it feel like it settled into Mackay and Mike and then maybe with a side I'm not going to do the mustard joke I almost did, but with a side of Dijon Stanle outside of those two, does that feel like that's where we've landed?
Speaker 8: Yeah? I think so.
Speaker 10: I mean McKay has established himself as running back one, and really Mike Mitchell has been good. He's just got a I think Kyle's noted it a couple of times. He's got a little bit of a nagging ankle thing that will flare up during games. But I thought he ran really well last week. I really did. I thought he ran the ball really really well. He had seventy five yards, made a tough inside running. But yeah, I think those two have established themselves as RB one and RB two. Then you've got Dijon Stanley, a little Charlie Vincent. Not sure what's going on with Jalen Glover. Didn't see him last week, but he's got some experience too. But I definitely think it's Bernard and Mitchell as one and two.
Speaker 2: Let me follow up about Jalen who we saw go for a bucko seven against Colorado last year. We saw him with a really good game and a tough win against UCLA a year ago. And you even go back a couple of years, you know, twenty carries seventy six years on the polue in a big win thirteen sixty to a touchdown at Colorado. We've seen Jalen Glover play the running back position at Utah very efficiently at times. Is this just like, hey, the room's crowded, or is there anything else beyond that that you're.
Speaker 10: Hearing that, I don't know. I think it's a crowded room as much as anything else. I think Jalen is one of those really solid running backs, but a couple of the other guys might just have a little bit more juice. But I don't I haven't heard her known anything that would say anything otherwise. I just think right now that Mitchell is a young guy who really if he would have played last fall he kind of red shirted last fall, might have popped just a little bit. He was kind of learning the whole position. But they just love his overall skill set. And you know, Mackai Bernartchsman in the program for a little while.
Speaker 2: You know, Bill, most smart people who follow sports know that basketball players just do it better.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 2: That's not me, that's other people that follow sports. So I mean, it's just kind of a decent take here. I gotta say, man, first of all, respect to Caleb or even trying this.
Speaker 1: You know, basketball player at Utah.
Speaker 2: BYU and Baylor, and I can remember watching him all the way back in high school and just thinking like that kid is an absolute beast of an athlete who needs to learn how to play basketball at a high level, just with a more complete skill set as he decides to level up. If he ever wants to be a pro basketball player, he's got to just get He's never had a great feel for the game overall.
Speaker 1: He was never a great shooter and never a great pastor.
Speaker 2: But what he was is an insane athlete that would dunk on your head and go get fifteen boards, you know, while napping through a game. So the skill set translates. I give him a ton of credit for trying this beautiful ball from Isaac. Another red zone target for Caleb. It feels like coach Coach loved. They've got themselves a pretty special red zone weapon, doesn't it.
Speaker 8: It does?
Speaker 10: And he just the athleticism pops. I love the fact that they called that plate dunk. We talked to him after the game and Isaac said, they called that plate dunk, so it's throw it up to the big guy and let him go get it.
Speaker 8: The funny thing is.
Speaker 10: Two spence when you see him running around and you don't see it as much in the game, but you're a little bit more in the game now. But when I saw him running around to practice this fall, he just looked. I mean, he doesn't look out of place. That's the weird thing. Is he as fluid yet as Brand Keith, he will know. But Brand's, you know, an All American caliber tight end. Caleb Loner hasn't played football since seventh grade. Seventh grade was the last time he played football that he turned into a basketball player. So for this guy to be able to come out having that played football since seventh grade and make a tangible impact on the field with really one fault he didn't play in the spring one fault camp under his belt's pretty amazing. And then the other great part about it is is that tight end rue is loaded. Carson Ryan got a touchdown pass and you saw his hand Saturday. We know what Keith he can do. Heck Landon King, who I thought was going to be poised to have a breakout maybe still could, doesn't even have a catch yet this year we saw how good he was. Last year Teethey didn't play. They've got kind of an embarrassment of riches in that tight end room.
Speaker 2: So through three games, Bill, I always talk about this up until conference starts, and then even maybe the first couple of games of conference play, when I just say, observation out conclusion, you know, like that's why I wasn't concerned about Isaac. You know, after the SUU and then the Baylor game, I said on air it had to be better, and it did, but it was I mean, what you look for, as you know as well as anyone, is just week by week improvements.
Speaker 1: Are you seeing through three games? Have you seen week by week improvement?
Speaker 2: And attendant to that, what do you feel like you're confident today to say that you know about Utah through three games, and what do you feel like needs to get better?
Speaker 10: Well, I think, well, it's just a quarterback play, meaning pick one guy. But I think we get that back to I think we get it back this week with Cam Rising. Although I will say, and back to your point we started off talking about Isaac Isaac Wilson. I think if you're a Utah fan, you're got to be thrilled with what the potential for the future is. And it's always kind of been year to year when quarterbacks left, it's like, what do we have coming with us next one? I think we know with Isaac Wilson, I've been most impressed. I think Spence with the improvement of the secondary I think it was probably a little bit unsure of that with the two safeties they lost in the corners and then they lose Kennan Johnson in the first game. But to see Zamaya Vaughn and to see Scooby Davis, and to see Theo Johnson, and to see Nate Ritchie and to see that kid Cameron Calhoun come in and get his first real bit of playing time and have an interception. In the past breakup, I think I've probably seen the most improvement in that secondary. What I want to see being a little bit better, probably playing the run game, just because Baylor had some moments and then Utah State had some moments. And we both know that Baylor and Utah State aren't quite the caliber of Oklahoma State. So if anything, if I want a nitpick, I'd probably say, let's see how they play against the run.
Speaker 2: This week, all right before I say you lose. You is now a two point favorite. That could change. That line has moved like four times, opened up slightly in the direction of the Cowboys, uh swung the way of the Utes.
Speaker 1: It's now settled Utah minus two.
Speaker 2: Never been to Boone Picking Stadium, never been a stillwater maybe one day if dreams come true. But what ultimately do you feel like Utah needs to do to go on the road and get what would be a massive early statement win to the rest of the Big twelve.
Speaker 10: Well, I think they need a good start spence. They can't fall behind like they did to Utah State, because that place is going to be loud. It's a little bit, just slightly bigger than rice Ecles, but it's right in that same range. But it's loud and it's it'll be full. And those are those are the Oklahoma State fans, a great fans. So I think Utah offensively, you know, needs to get some some some momentum going early. And I think you again, just a hard heart back on what we've talked about, you know, make make them throw on you a little bit, make make them drop back. Alan Bowman has played seven years of college football. He's played at Texas Tech, He's played at Michigan, now he's played it at Oklahoma State. He's a good quarterback. But let guys like Fillinger and O'Toole and Fano and Tofoon and those guys upfront create a little bit of pressure. And if they can do that, I think Utah has a real good chance to go in there and hang with Oklahoma State and get a win.
Speaker 1: All Right, Ryles, appreciate the time man, save travels and have a great call.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, thanks Ben Bill Riley, Voice of the Utes. Coming up, Utah is going to still Water two o'clock on Saturday.
Speaker 1: That game is actually on Fox.
Speaker 2: You can listen to it on our radio station as your Home of the Utes, with pregame coverage beginning at ten am.